Max Payne 3 PC

7.7

1. BMF
    Jun 4, 2012
    I have been waiting for Max Payne 3 for a long time and it didnt disapoint. The story is excellent the graphics and sound are both PC quality and the combat plays out with some of the best ragdoll physics and blood effects I have ever seen. The game can get brutaly hard at some points but I never wanted to give up and im still craving more after beating the storyline.
  2. May 12, 2013
    Max payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm gladMax payne 3 is a great game. It's part shooter, part interactive movie.. mostly the latter. And I paid less for it ($12, steam sale) than a real movie ticket would have cost. The graphics are superb. I absolutely don't agree with the negative reviews of this game. I'm a diehard PC games fan, and I was actually almost not going to buy this game because of the negative reviews. But I'm glad I did. Fight scenes are pretty realistic, and weapon handling and mechanics are realistic and good too (you can only carry 2 handguns and 1 big gun). Story is pretty good, but I didn't follow some stuff (i'm retarded like that). The only problem is that the game weighs in at 30 GB which is massive (it obliterated my download quota).

I don't really care about multiplayer, but the single player rocks! I also didn't mind the trippy visuals, like some people did.

I think PC game fans are being very ungrateful. Even if this is a console port (I absolutely detest consoles and consoletards), they've done a superb job of it and it is eminently playable on PC.
  3. Jun 3, 2012
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max Payne 3 is a great shooter with an extremely fascinating script and storyline that totally succeeds in delivering a perfect noir tale! The pacing is just the right speed and I personally had no trouble playing this game nonstop for more than a couple of hours.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i
    Excellent continuation of the cult franchise. Great game. Bravo Rockstar.
    Max payne has always been my favourite game but i was a little worried about the third part bcoz it wasnt remedy making the game but no disrespect to Rockstar they are awesome specially i thnk so after playing max payne 3 it is an awesome game great story driven action heart pumping gameplay and brilliant multiplayer i must say i am thrilled after playing it and have to say rockstar have not let us down again and hasnt let the game die instead has made it famous.
    Bravo Rockstar.
  4. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Upon further playing I have come to realise this game is actually fantastic. Think about it Max was done in New Jersey and this was portrayed brilliantly in the flashback section of the game. All the nods to the previous games are a nice touch especially the piano playing. It leaves a few important things unanswered but it is somehow ok. Expand
  5. Jun 1, 2012
    Okay so I played this on Xbox 360 but waited till the PC release to buy it and I must say, there is a difference. I have recently just migrated to PC gaming as I have no intention of buying a new console and I built a very high mid range so it runs it very well, and Max Payne 3 runs smooth and very pretty. This looks so much better than any game I have played on console, even Max Payne 3Okay so I played this on Xbox 360 but waited till the PC release to buy it and I must say, there is a difference. I have recently just migrated to PC gaming as I have no intention of buying a new console and I built a very high mid range so it runs it very well, and Max Payne 3 runs smooth and very pretty. This looks so much better than any game I have played on console, even Max Payne 3 itself. Runs at a higher frame than the 30 fps cap of console too. I must say I am very pleased. Expand
  6. Jun 1, 2012
    Max Payne 1 and 2 were linear - completely linear. Mission one came before mission two and there were not that many routes in each mission. At a tactical level (how to clear a room) there is LOTS of choice - but like all the other MP games - it's linear. Controls are excellent, graphics are not up to much (cartoony - maybe a fraction better than Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 - but the PS3Max Payne 1 and 2 were linear - completely linear. Mission one came before mission two and there were not that many routes in each mission. At a tactical level (how to clear a room) there is LOTS of choice - but like all the other MP games - it's linear. Controls are excellent, graphics are not up to much (cartoony - maybe a fraction better than Red Dead Redemption on the PS3 - but the PS3 is a 6 year old system using graphics hardware from the mid 2000's. Butr that's the end of my probelms. The game play very well indeed. The cut scenes are often but most ore not that long - but like I said at the top - this is the same as all the other MP games. This is MP3 NOT GTA Brazil. If it's standard Rockstar game mechanics you are after you might me a little dissapointed. Me? I love it Expand
  7. Jul 2, 2012
    I absolutely loved this game. I can go into detail about all the graphics, gameplay mechanics, story and so on, but all I will do is URGE you to go and buy this game immediately if you haven't already. Breathtaking, amazing, hypnotic, mesmerizing, indulging - I just love it, and I'm definitely going to play through it again!
  8. Jun 12, 2012
    After finally beating this game, I have many things to say. First, the good things. 1. It's very good visually. It's pretty cool how the bullet actually goes through your character, and out the other side. 2. It's got a GREAT story. I would play through it again just for that. 3. It's true to the game play of the first two Max Payne games. Now for the downsides: 1. It Does WAY too manyAfter finally beating this game, I have many things to say. First, the good things. 1. It's very good visually. It's pretty cool how the bullet actually goes through your character, and out the other side. 2. It's got a GREAT story. I would play through it again just for that. 3. It's true to the game play of the first two Max Payne games. Now for the downsides: 1. It Does WAY too many camera effects. 2. It didn't do any trippy flashbacks like in the first two games. 3. It was sort of predictable, not like the first one. 4. Multiplayer mode has that god awful auto assign for match play. I'm glad I bought it. Expand
  9. Aug 11, 2012
    I didn't like the first two Max Paynes, but I loved this one. Great game, and one of the most enjoyable I've played in the last few years. I play several different games a week (play, not complete), and complete a good number of them in a year. I think this is the best Max Payne, and the gunplay was just plain fun to me. Although, I didn't like towards the end of the game where enemies allI didn't like the first two Max Paynes, but I loved this one. Great game, and one of the most enjoyable I've played in the last few years. I play several different games a week (play, not complete), and complete a good number of them in a year. I think this is the best Max Payne, and the gunplay was just plain fun to me. Although, I didn't like towards the end of the game where enemies all had bulletproof vests and you have to headshot them for a kill. That's never fun. But throwing your arm around a corner and planting 3 bullets in a guy's chest and watching them drop is great fun. Expand
  10. Jun 3, 2012
    A+ Single Player (ofcourse free aim)
    with an A grade Multi-Player (free aim as well)

Gorgeous graphically, engaging story and gameplay, wonderful mechanics; and most of all- Does Max Payne franchise JUSTICE and perhaps past nostalgia is the greatest of the series. Must buy. GOTY candidate!
  11. Jun 2, 2012
    An instant classic - the graphics are staggering, and it runs great on both of my PCs (and I really wasn't expecting it to, after seeing the recommended requirements). There's also a flurry of PC only settings and the PC only textures are great. The sound design is good, the monologues are superb, and the gunplay is satisfying and responsive (there were one or two points when it felt aAn instant classic - the graphics are staggering, and it runs great on both of my PCs (and I really wasn't expecting it to, after seeing the recommended requirements). There's also a flurry of PC only settings and the PC only textures are great. The sound design is good, the monologues are superb, and the gunplay is satisfying and responsive (there were one or two points when it felt a little sluggish, but I reckon it was down to the fact my framerate was jumping around a bit in that scene).

Sure the storyline is essentially 'Man on Fire', sure there are a lot of cutscenes. But I haven't seen 'Man on Fire' before, and I'd much prefer to see it presented in a stylish video game form than a movie. It's an instant classic - and one that I be playing for time to come.

The arcade mode where you rack up points replaying the campaign levels also adds to the replayability, so that's nice too.

Don't buy it if you don't like cutscenes though, you won't like the game ;)
  12. May 25, 2014
    One of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quitOne of the best third person shooters ever made. The story completely sucks you in, and I think it's even more fun to play on hard difficulty. At that point, areas can be frustrating, but very rewarding once you succeed. Yes, Max chooses some bad cover when he enters certain areas, and makes a stupid decision or two that you suffer for, but to me that's all part of the experience. Now quit **** and go be a badass. Expand
  13. Jun 1, 2012
    Pure epicness! Can't believe that Rockstar did such a good jon with the PC version of this! It's incredibly well optimization PLEASE GO BUY IT NOW! Its Too Amazing!
  14. Jun 10, 2012
    This is really a Max Payne game. I love it to bits. I am about 3/4 of the way through now and my only worry is a ME3 type ending which will just spoil the entire thing. The game really shows Max's typical Noir side and how he sees the dark side of everything even though he is actually fighting to defend it by protecting the family. The fighting is fast paced with breakable cover - I justThis is really a Max Payne game. I love it to bits. I am about 3/4 of the way through now and my only worry is a ME3 type ending which will just spoil the entire thing. The game really shows Max's typical Noir side and how he sees the dark side of everything even though he is actually fighting to defend it by protecting the family. The fighting is fast paced with breakable cover - I just hate it when game play is stale with unbreakable cover - and if you use bullet time with it can equate to some amazing moves and matrix style action (Max should be renamed to Neo imo :P). I have played the other 2 Max Paynes so to see the flash backs and the cut scenes associated with them was really nice, you really have to play the other games to understand his Noir and history and a lot of the dialogue (such as the Mona references). On a modern beefed up PC like mine it plays so smoothly on super high gfx and the effects the game has are unbelievable, the scenes look just as stunning as well, almost life like at times (much better than BF3 or whatever). The loading time for my game....well I get none so I can't really talk about that. Cut scenes could be skippable but tbh I play on a difficulty that matches my skill so I have no problems there and neither will you if you do the same. If you MOVE around you will find the game is quite good at utilising cover while making it challenging to make sure your enemies don't flank you (office areas are an example in this game). Coming back to the effects it really shines on those little things like picking up a gun while running, it's these little effects that really bring the fighting to life and makes you feel a part of it all. For me the gaming isn't too scripted, not any more than previous Max Paynes (yes this is Max Payne 3 not some other first-of-the-series game...) and honestly, I like the scripted action, it adds to the fact that Max's life always seemed to read from a horror movie script. I like how the game also sometimes forces you into situations your sane enough to not get into but Max isn't; remember Max is a guy on the edge so jumping into the center of some bad guys isn't unlike him and I like how the game throws you in and expects you in a moments notice be able to fight like a bad ass instead of a camper. I also like the unpredictability of some fights, like you think Max is gonna neatly cover behind some canisters but they fall over, suddenly your moving on a crane up having to shoot all the bad guys as you do. All this and more makes Max Payne 3 an awesome game in my view and a deserving sequel. Expand
  15. M13
    Aug 29, 2012
    Game is fantastic. Great story. Best graphics I've seen in a shooter.....or probably any game. If you like story based linear shooters.....then this is the best one in existence right now.
  16. Jun 1, 2012
    I am really loving the game so far, i'm only 1 and a half hours in, and it runs pretty nice on my system, not at max, but nice. The only thing that pretty much ruins a lot of the experience for me right now, are the effects for the use of alcohol and painkillers given in the the cut scenes, even though the cut scenes don't bother me at all, i think they are a valuable asset to the game soI am really loving the game so far, i'm only 1 and a half hours in, and it runs pretty nice on my system, not at max, but nice. The only thing that pretty much ruins a lot of the experience for me right now, are the effects for the use of alcohol and painkillers given in the the cut scenes, even though the cut scenes don't bother me at all, i think they are a valuable asset to the game so far, and i really enjoy the game right now. (I've actually pressed alt+tab to write this message XD ) It's only just these effects that, tire my eyes. could someone please make an on / off option for that ? I would really appreciate that very much ! Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2012
    max payne 3 is a MASTERPIECE, starting with the great optimisation for pc. It runs great on my low-mid end pc. The gameplay is way better than the previous MP games, the cover and aim system are new in this new part, that make the games more different to play. The gameplay, its just simple and GREAT, i love bullet-time, and watch out in multiplayer, you gonna be IMPRESSED. Themax payne 3 is a MASTERPIECE, starting with the great optimisation for pc. It runs great on my low-mid end pc. The gameplay is way better than the previous MP games, the cover and aim system are new in this new part, that make the games more different to play. The gameplay, its just simple and GREAT, i love bullet-time, and watch out in multiplayer, you gonna be IMPRESSED. The singplayer story is great, but the thing i don't like are the cutscenes, there are some large cutscenes and get's me a bit boring. The effects too, makes me bad a bit to the eyes, but that don't matters. This game is a must-buy for all gamers. Expand
  18. Jun 3, 2012
    First off I have I7 920 and gtx 680 with windows 7 and it runs great ! Some of the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game before. Some people are complaining of the amount of cut scenes in the game , but I happen to like them because it makes the game much more immersive. Only about 17 hours of gameplay for single player , but it was awesome.
  19. Jul 10, 2012
    I have been playing Max Payne from the beginning. This game is Aewsome! I don't want it to end. Ignore the haters.. just buy it. It is like you are in your own movie and performing. My Hat is off to rockstar on this one. Thanks guys!
  20. Jul 30, 2012
    Awesome game to people who really like other games with Max Payne! This is how a games should be do. Rockstar Games have never done a half product. I love Max Payne and their's other games!
  21. Jun 2, 2012
    New game from Rockstar become a new word in genre third-person shooter. New developers added many new elements of gameplay, make excellent graphics and animation. And many many different details. Max Payne... He is really come back.
  22. Jun 9, 2012
    With Max Payne 3, Rockstar has redeemed themselves in creating a flawless PC port after their luck with them turned sour. Amazing how a game that's dozens of times more eye-poppingly pretty than GTA4 has managed to run so optimized and smooth. Max Payne 3 is by far the best in the series, and is extremely cinematic, but I for one love that sort of thing. Story means a lot to me, but I seemWith Max Payne 3, Rockstar has redeemed themselves in creating a flawless PC port after their luck with them turned sour. Amazing how a game that's dozens of times more eye-poppingly pretty than GTA4 has managed to run so optimized and smooth. Max Payne 3 is by far the best in the series, and is extremely cinematic, but I for one love that sort of thing. Story means a lot to me, but I seem to find putting bullets in people more fun here than most other games. There is just a charm to MP3 that I can't shake. A magnificent offspring of Rockstar, and it makes me have great expectations from them (especially in the form of PC ports) in the future. Expand
  23. Jun 1, 2012
    Max Payne 3 is a story driven game, not an RPG. It will not succeed to please everyone, but it doesn't have to. People can complain about the lack of freedom, the many cutscenes, the linear story, but those are the necessary ingredients to create one of the best stories in video gaming. I am one of those people that loves the feeling of being inside a movie, and to really care about whatMax Payne 3 is a story driven game, not an RPG. It will not succeed to please everyone, but it doesn't have to. People can complain about the lack of freedom, the many cutscenes, the linear story, but those are the necessary ingredients to create one of the best stories in video gaming. I am one of those people that loves the feeling of being inside a movie, and to really care about what will happen next. That's why I can honestly say that this is the best interactive experience that I've ever had.

That said, the level of detail is plain amazing, and the gameplay is really smooth. I haven't noticed any bugs, errors or problems in general. Well done, Rockstar.
  24. Jul 16, 2012
    I am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried someI am going to rate this game solely on the campaign because the only reason why this game was purchased by me and made into a game was because of the AMAZING CAMPAIGN. All I can say is it was a HELL OF A RIDE! Not only was the gameplay amazing but the story kept me glued to the monitor. The campaign was CRAZY long and a straight shot through took me all day (10+ hrs on hard). I tried some of the multiplayer and let me tell you it ain't bad either. I cant wait to get back on! EASY 10 Expand
  25. Jun 2, 2012
    This is my first Max Payne game, and I like it very much. I played it for a few hours now, and I think, that if you approach this game appropriately, I mean, if you accept that is a Cinematic 3rd Person Shooter, then you may really enjoy it. It is like an interactive movie. Not a sandbox game, like Skyrim, or GTA. ...in this game you play, then watch a cutscene, then play, then cutscene,This is my first Max Payne game, and I like it very much. I played it for a few hours now, and I think, that if you approach this game appropriately, I mean, if you accept that is a Cinematic 3rd Person Shooter, then you may really enjoy it. It is like an interactive movie. Not a sandbox game, like Skyrim, or GTA. ...in this game you play, then watch a cutscene, then play, then cutscene, and so on. But that is not bad at all. It is really enjoyable, since the story is good, the characters (especially Max) and the environments are just great, the graphics is stunning, the levels are well designed and interesting + diverse, the physics is also cool, and the gameplay is really immerse. So, people out there, if you expect something else, you may be disappointed. If you accept The Style of this game, then it is going to be a really enjoyable one-way ticket to an interactive movie with you in the main role. However, I won't give it only 9 out of 10 since in this setting I would still expect a bit more interaction with the environment. I don't mean shooting everything apart, no. Just something like in Assassin's Creed. ...to stand on a table, etc. That would give me even more immersion, and the lack of this little freedom breaks my immersion a little, but just a very little. So 9/10. ...there are better games. GTA5 on the way! ...this game may be the testbed of many GTA5 features. Accept it as it is aaaand Enjoy!! :-) Expand
  26. Jun 1, 2012
    I was expecting an OKAY game for PC since Rockstar has botched GTA so badly on PC. After 5 hours of playing tonight, I have to say, they did an unbelievable job. The graphics are beautiful, the gameplay is so smooth, and the story is great. Best of all, it is optimized extremely well. My Radeon 6950 was playing this game at 5760x1080 resolution maxed out with 2x MSAA
  27. Jun 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game, my only gripe is that social club sucks and constantly disconnects me from online matches. Otherwise, the game is a 10/10. Surprisingly, it's not a port and it runs at 60+ FPS. Awesome story and it clicks very well. I like how they implemented the flashbacks from New Jersey, that was awesome. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2012
    Wow! I bought the DVD copy of this game, and installed in on my Alienware m14x. I couldn't get the game to run smoothly at first, but with super fast response time from the Rockstar tech support, I was able to get the game running perfectly on near max graphic settings. This is one of the best games I've ever played! The graphics are gorgeous, if you have the machine to power it. This isWow! I bought the DVD copy of this game, and installed in on my Alienware m14x. I couldn't get the game to run smoothly at first, but with super fast response time from the Rockstar tech support, I was able to get the game running perfectly on near max graphic settings. This is one of the best games I've ever played! The graphics are gorgeous, if you have the machine to power it. This is the best way I can describe this game: Imagine all the greatest action shoot-em-up movie sequences ever made, and that is what every level is like non-stop! The characters are great with great voice acting! All the levels are unique in their design, which makes every action sequence fresh and extremely entertaining. I'm literally laughing with joy playing this game, and constantly find myself with my jaw dropped from all the amazing game-play. This game is flawless! If Max Payne 3 doesn't win game of the year, I will be in complete shock! Expand
  29. Jun 1, 2012
    This is great game. Performance was good, story was good. Little problem was cut scene. Actually, cut scene itself was not so bad, whole campaign looks like one action movie, but some times cut scene part was so long. Excepting that problem, Single play was awesome.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Max Payne 3 feels like a PC original, in a very good way. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    Its deviation from the mood instilled by its predecessors might annoy some purist fans, but Max Payne 3's undisputed quality standards in all accounts will make them look the other way and enjoy the game as it is. [July 2012]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 29, 2012
    Max Payne is god and it really doesn't matter that he is not the fair one. He is the most interesting action character these days and the game itself is one of the best you can get. [July 2012]