• Publisher: Aspyr
  • Release Date: Mar 16, 2009
8.1

1. Feb 5, 2012
    I bought the game on sale from Steam and I've tried it out twice. My main experience is this: if you command infantry, you can never get all of the people in your squad to go where you want them to (at least 1 of my guys always stood in place unless I brought them into cover), tank tracks are destroyed like they're made of playdough (and it seems the computer always manages to disable myI bought the game on sale from Steam and I've tried it out twice. My main experience is this: if you command infantry, you can never get all of the people in your squad to go where you want them to (at least 1 of my guys always stood in place unless I brought them into cover), tank tracks are destroyed like they're made of playdough (and it seems the computer always manages to disable my tank tracks from 1000 yards off with a tiny flak gun with one lucky shot while my tank crew shoots wildly and misses half the time), and you're fighting with a squad of 8 against dozens of enemies. This is the first mission of the game on Easy difficulty. I know I'm probably going to get a lot of people telling me I'm terrible at this game, but that's just my experience and because of that, I couldn't get into the game. I also had one of the "heroes" of the game get "killed" but instead of dying he was crouched down and used up all of the medpacks I had salvaged off of dead bodies without healing himself. Expand
  2. StigJ
    Aug 26, 2009
    The singleplayer is ok, lots of units, lots of dept, just a shame its getting ruined by the PATHETHIC AI. Also noticed theres no skirmish option in this game, why? Cause theres no AI. Multiplayer is another joke, basicly you can set up custom matches and thats it, no ranking, no automatch, no nothing, just custom matches where you can play against preset teams of ppl on teamspeak, BORING. The singleplayer is ok, lots of units, lots of dept, just a shame its getting ruined by the PATHETHIC AI. Also noticed theres no skirmish option in this game, why? Cause theres no AI. Multiplayer is another joke, basicly you can set up custom matches and thats it, no ranking, no automatch, no nothing, just custom matches where you can play against preset teams of ppl on teamspeak, BORING. Theres a beta build out witch implements automatching, but its basiacally worthless, half the time the automatch server is down, and when its up it maches you totally randomly, so 90% of your games are gonna be against ppl WAY above your lvl, WAY below, or simply with 500 ping so it becomes one big lagfest. All in all, nice unit variety, nice dept, nice micro options. Just a shame both single and multiplayer is a joke wich leaves this game as total fail. Back to COH I go. Expand
  3. anonymous
    Sep 4, 2009
    Horrible voice acting annoying interface, bad graphics and a stupid AI this game is crap if you want a good World War 2 Strategy game play Company Of Heroes which has a better engine good voice acting, Intelligent AI, Challenging missions and better graphics
  4. Mar 5, 2012
    Somehow, 1C Company has managed to make a strategy wargame more painful than the act of war itself.
    Seriously, as interesting as this game looks with it's multitude of different units, vehicles and weapons, it is an exersize in frustration and mediocrity.
    Single player sways between pitched battles where you're expected to position an entire army in the 15 seconds it takes for the enemy forces to reach you, to laughable stealth missions in which stealth is literally not an option (don't forget insta-failing missions for conditions that you're never actually made aware of).
    I honestly don't know what the developers were thinking when they made this game, other than "let's try to take a tried and tested formula and make it as unfun as we can". Maybe it was a team building exersize or something.
    Worst part is that I'm being generous, there's like 20% of a reasonable game hidden in here. It's just a shame that you have to wade through the 80% of effluent that is the rest of this embarrassment to get to it.

1. This might be the most gripping tactics title I've played in getting on for a decade.
  2. As a strategy game, very few titles reach the epic scale and excitement of Men of War's biggest battles. [Apr 2009, p.68]
  3. It's a hard game, but that challenge and scope will be what keeps you coming back after your arse is handed to you. Again.