8.1

1. AnthonyE.
    Apr 1, 2010
    I really can't understand all these positive reviews. Yes, Metro 2033 looks beautiful, but go beyond that and you find a decidedly poor first-person shooter. The levels are laughably linear, with almost zero chance for exploration; the enemy AI is utterly braindead; the weapons are rubbish; and all the voices sound the same. On top of that, the level of interactivity is terrible: I really can't understand all these positive reviews. Yes, Metro 2033 looks beautiful, but go beyond that and you find a decidedly poor first-person shooter. The levels are laughably linear, with almost zero chance for exploration; the enemy AI is utterly braindead; the weapons are rubbish; and all the voices sound the same. On top of that, the level of interactivity is terrible: very few things can be opened or searched, and the majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't speak or react to you in any way. Probably the worst thing about Metro 2033, though, is that it's not in the slightest bit optimised. Even at lowest settings, on a decent computer, certain parts of the game are jerky to the point of distraction. As for its atmosphere and narrative, the story is boring and the only thing that makes it feel tense is the heavy breathing sound you hear when you put on your gas mask. That's pretty much all you're paying for, then - a sound effect. Expand
  2. Apr 21, 2012
    Do you love scary games ? Then this is a damn good one, this game is what i call a jewel of the games, it has excellent graphics and animations, it even have the NVDIA PhysX, also all the location will have a great atmosphere which will make you feel like being there yourself, sounds is very good, i just got in mind the part of the city, with the winds and rest of effect, let's hope theDo you love scary games ? Then this is a damn good one, this game is what i call a jewel of the games, it has excellent graphics and animations, it even have the NVDIA PhysX, also all the location will have a great atmosphere which will make you feel like being there yourself, sounds is very good, i just got in mind the part of the city, with the winds and rest of effect, let's hope the sequel of this game will be as great as this, or even more, if it will ever come out. Expand
  3. Jan 29, 2014
    I'm glad I got this game mostly free with Humble Bundle. I CANNOT stand Checkpoint saves. Stupid console clone. If it had been made from the ground up on the PC, it would have had a much better interface and the ability to save at will.
  4. Dec 13, 2012
    This is a game I debated on getting for a long while before a purchase. I ended up buying it on sale from Steam. Overall I really have liked this game. The developers have created a great atmosphere with the ambiant noise, textures, and suspense. The fact that you are constantly low on ammo is a challenge that more games should adopt. I find the games today are just too easy...This is a game I debated on getting for a long while before a purchase. I ended up buying it on sale from Steam. Overall I really have liked this game. The developers have created a great atmosphere with the ambiant noise, textures, and suspense. The fact that you are constantly low on ammo is a challenge that more games should adopt. I find the games today are just too easy... sometimes even on the hardest setting. This game is different in that it is just challenging enough to keep you interested without throwing you into a rage. The biggest downside to this game is that it is not optimized. I find my GPU runs hot even when it shouldn't, my FPS does drop from time to time, and I have had a few soft crashes. These issues are not enough for me to stop playing but are annoying. With these issues fixed I would rate this a solid 8 or 9. I'm really looking forward to the sequel in 2013 because now that they have more financial backing the game will definitely be better. Expand
  5. Jul 3, 2013
    Excellent graphics, enjoyable gameplay. Poor animation. Now after the last light, we can say The first part of that was interesting and high quality. Stels was hardcore, but it gave the game a reality and of interest
  6. Mar 17, 2014
    Metro 2033 has an interesting story, nice music and stunning visuals and can be very immersive at times. Unfortunately, the game also has many problems.

Technical problems: There are bugs with the default configuration that you have to bypass before you can properly play the game. Enabling Vsync strangely improves the performance quite a bit and the default field of view is way too narrow and has to be changed in two config files. Aim sensivity is also messed up: It's too high for scoped weapons and too low for iron sights. It can be adjusted, but there's no way to make it good for both.

Save games: The save locations are bad and there's no way to quick save or anything. Auto saving at fixed locations makes the saves a lot smaller, but the spots should be chosen carefully. I had to reload a chapter at least twice, because the game saved in situations that made it impossible to continue.

The AI is pathetic: When one enemy notices you, every opponent in the map is locked on to you like an aimbot. This makes stealth play almost impossible. The enemies are even trying to shoot you through walls from points where they absolutely can't see or hear you, that's how hard they cheat. They also have unlimited ammo, naturally, and wearing a helmet means they can take several shots to the face.

Game mechanics are poor and not properly explained: Pressing reload too long will load your military grade ammo (which serve as the game's currency) into your weapon and literally makes you shoot money at your opponents.

Many of these problems (bad config, save system, dumbed down game mechanics) are typical console problems, so we once again have a very poorly adjusted port.

I initially stopped playing as the first few levels are very poor and frustrating, because of the terrible save points, as mentioned before, and the AI of the human enemies is super bad. I eventually continued and finished the game and I'm glad I did. I don't want to spoil anything, but the game really gets a lot better in the second half.

After all, Metro 2033 could have been great, but it's just good, because of the many bugs and oversights.
  7. Mar 13, 2014
    This game has a fantastic immersing and well designed environment, very detailed and creepy. The storyline it's good, but nothing astonishing. I like the fact that we are in a post-apocalyptic Moscow where every bullet, air filter and med-pack are essential to survive, so we have to be very careful with our limited resources. Except for the voices, the sound is pretty good. All theThis game has a fantastic immersing and well designed environment, very detailed and creepy. The storyline it's good, but nothing astonishing. I like the fact that we are in a post-apocalyptic Moscow where every bullet, air filter and med-pack are essential to survive, so we have to be very careful with our limited resources. Except for the voices, the sound is pretty good. All the environment sounds and the beasts roars are scary as hell. The main problem of this game it's it poor and bad designed combat. The enemies and beasts knows exactly where you are, even if they haven't seen you and takes a huge amount of ammo to kill them in all difficulties. Also, they have a excellent precision at long distances with any weapon, which is very unrealistic. Apart from that, the game is very lineal, you can't explore anything, which is a pity due to the excellent environment design. To end this, I want to mention two details: Artyom is very boring, you can't see his face and doesn't talk and the graphic system is really bad optimized, so, if you don't have a very good computer, you will be suffering lag everytime.

To sum up:

The best: extremely innmersive and terrifyng post-apocalyptic Moscow.

The worst: the poor and bad designed shooting combat.
  8. Sep 30, 2014
    Believe me, I really wanted to rate this game higher because I was so intrigued by the gritty atmosphere and setting, so much so that I read the novel just to delve into Artyom's psyche and backstory a little bit more. The story, characters and setting were all solid, and the game had so much potential, but it's unfortunate that the game has more than a few significant issues that reallyBelieve me, I really wanted to rate this game higher because I was so intrigued by the gritty atmosphere and setting, so much so that I read the novel just to delve into Artyom's psyche and backstory a little bit more. The story, characters and setting were all solid, and the game had so much potential, but it's unfortunate that the game has more than a few significant issues that really hamper the experience. The game is poorly optimised, the AI is lacking, stealth is kinda broken, mouse controls feel clunky and slow. As a result of all this, I can only see Metro 2033 as nothing more than a somewhat decent game, a flawed masterpiece.

Overall rating - 7.3/10
  9. Nov 14, 2011
    well i bought this game on sale dirt cheap, at that price i found it very enjoyable, i like its idea and style, also the stealth system people complian about does work it is just extremely difficult and will have you loading your save up time after time, but remember this game is not produced by a massive studio, and it is really meant to be a old school fps where you have to think yourwell i bought this game on sale dirt cheap, at that price i found it very enjoyable, i like its idea and style, also the stealth system people complian about does work it is just extremely difficult and will have you loading your save up time after time, but remember this game is not produced by a massive studio, and it is really meant to be a old school fps where you have to think your own way past situations, for £3.50 i cant complian but for the full 15.99 price it probably wouldnt be worth it which is why im giving 7 becasue its replay value is pretty much nill becasue you can do it again but it doesnt have that same creepy whats next feel Expand
  10. Apr 10, 2012
    Metro 2033 is a great game that comes with some unfortunate baggage for the PC version. It's poorly optimized, chugging on even good systems when the action gets intense, and the FOV and mouse options never feel quite right. That being said, the rest of the game is pretty damn good. The atmosphere is spot on, you really feel like you're part of an underground society sheltering not justMetro 2033 is a great game that comes with some unfortunate baggage for the PC version. It's poorly optimized, chugging on even good systems when the action gets intense, and the FOV and mouse options never feel quite right. That being said, the rest of the game is pretty damn good. The atmosphere is spot on, you really feel like you're part of an underground society sheltering not just from mutants, but a lethal, poisonous world as well. The weapons and gadgets fit the theme as well, particularly the gas mask sections which add a sense of urgency to your time topside. You'll probably like this game if you enjoy STALKER or other post-apocalyptic games, though this is more linear and story driven than most. I struggled on scoring this because I really enjoyed Metro 2033, but the technical issues are pretty bad. Expand
  11. Oct 13, 2011
    I was going to say originally that I thought this was an 8. Now after another hour into it I cannot say that's accurate. The auto save system sucks so bad. Example: game autsaves before a big battle(there is no quicksave or even regular save option, it does aut saves and that's all). Before you start to fight though u might want to charge your weapon, your light and take your gas maskI was going to say originally that I thought this was an 8. Now after another hour into it I cannot say that's accurate. The auto save system sucks so bad. Example: game autsaves before a big battle(there is no quicksave or even regular save option, it does aut saves and that's all). Before you start to fight though u might want to charge your weapon, your light and take your gas mask off. You go into the fight and get killed. Every time you die and start the area over you must repeat all the prep work you want before you enter it. After a number of times doing this(im playing on 2nd to hardest first run thru) it just sucks. Monster animations while attacking can be bizzare, they can walk right thru you? Game is choppy even with medium settings on a good computer, there's no excuse for this crap. Expand
  12. Oct 12, 2011
    This is such a wierd game its actually quite hard to rate it. Pros:

Great PC technology demo. Nice story behind it Atmospheric at times Negatives A very linear tunnel based shooter where you almost feel the game would be happier as a movie, very little freedom of choice whatsoever. I could tell the story behind this was probably very good but the game crippled it. Had to work on feeling
    This is such a wierd game its actually quite hard to rate it. Pros:

Great PC technology demo. Nice story behind it
    Atmospheric at times

Negatives
    Had to work on feeling any immersion because it was just so linear.
  13. May 24, 2012
    PROS: Beautiful graphics. Amazing atmosphere. Balanced difficulty. CONS: Short length. Terrible A.I. Laughable voice-acting. Poor characterization. Linear level design. OVERALL: A creepy game with gorgeous graphics but some of the worst artificial intelligence in years. Although the journey is interesting, it doesn't last long and the voice acting and characters are as forgettable asPROS: Beautiful graphics. Amazing atmosphere. Balanced difficulty. CONS: Short length. Terrible A.I. Laughable voice-acting. Poor characterization. Linear level design. OVERALL: A creepy game with gorgeous graphics but some of the worst artificial intelligence in years. Although the journey is interesting, it doesn't last long and the voice acting and characters are as forgettable as they come. Play Metro 2033 for the atmosphere and visuals. It has little else to offer. Expand
  14. Jan 5, 2013
    I bought this game for the graphics and the atmosphere, which I got. The gameplay simply isn't up to standard though, shooting enemies feels like shooting at a brick wall with a cap gun. Strange A.I and awkward difficulty changes don't help its situation either. The game does mange to raise its score because of some nice realism features and its great atmosphere.
  15. Jul 6, 2011
    Good game, worth the money. It is short and linear but on the other hand the graphics and story are great and suck you right in. My only complaint is the mouse movement, its feels real cheap and doesn't flow like a FPS should.
  16. Jan 5, 2011
    Excellent graphics, but otherwise a completely linear game with confusing and poorly designed game mechanics. The difficulty curve is like the EKG meter of someone being revived with a defibrillator. Mostly easy with a few hard spots and one incredibly frustrating escort mission. There's a stealth element that in some areas simply does not apply where you can be perfectly hidden in shadowsExcellent graphics, but otherwise a completely linear game with confusing and poorly designed game mechanics. The difficulty curve is like the EKG meter of someone being revived with a defibrillator. Mostly easy with a few hard spots and one incredibly frustrating escort mission. There's a stealth element that in some areas simply does not apply where you can be perfectly hidden in shadows and monsters just leap around the corner already attacking you. Managing weapons and ammo is rather awkward and takes a while to get used to because of their hybrid old school-new school weapons system where you can collect and trade weapons like STALKER, but have no inventory. Instead you have dedicated slots that can only hold certain types of weapons kind of like Half-life. The damage balance is completely out of whack. The first weapon you get is a revolver, and it can do more damage at any range than a shotgun can do point blank, as well as reload faster. Also, while you can sneak right up behind someone, you can't simply take them out with a backstab. You'll swipe at them with your knife and have to hit them like 4 or 5 more times. However, if someone is shooting at you from 30 feet away, you can chuck a throwing knife at their torso and kill them instantly.

There's really not much room for exploring. There's 2 or 3 sections where you can do a bit of exploring, mostly to find supplies, but the rest of the game is pretty much straight linear. For about 1/3 of the game you're being towed along by NPCs. And they like to introduce and explain interesting aspects of the game universe that are then chucked into the trash. Like they'll have a mission where you have to deal with a weird anomaly, or navigate through a room full of ghosts, but you'll have a guy explaining what's going on and what to do. You think it's a tutorial for something later, but the stuff never happens again. The stealth element of the game is nearly as bad as there's probably only 3 or 4 parts where stealth even helps.

Finally, there's no saving other than the autosave. This means that if you start a mission and find that you didn't bring the proper equipment or enough ammo, you're pretty much stuck. As mentioned, this is a linear game, and once you load another section you can never go back to where you came from. And because of the awkward weapons management, at some point you might drop your favorite gun when it runs out of ammo in favor of one you have ammo for with the intention of picking it back up, only to walk through an open door and have the screen fade to black and start the next mission, losing that gun forever.

In conclusion, this game has a lot of problems and limitations for someone spoiled on quality shooters like Fallout, STALKER, Call of Duty, Half-Life, etc... however it has some of the best graphics I've ever seen on my computer. If that's enough to hold your interest, and if you have a system that can play it at high quality it might be worth picking up if you find it cheap. I just wouldn't count on ever playing it again.
  17. Dec 22, 2011
    This game has a nice detailed enviornment, good voice acting and a nice story. The only thing I don't like is how they made the shooting. On most shooting games, I have no trouble aiming and shooting. But something about the way this game is set up makes it difficult to shoot. This is probably better on console, but everything else is good about this game. 6 out of 10 is what I think thisThis game has a nice detailed enviornment, good voice acting and a nice story. The only thing I don't like is how they made the shooting. On most shooting games, I have no trouble aiming and shooting. But something about the way this game is set up makes it difficult to shoot. This is probably better on console, but everything else is good about this game. 6 out of 10 is what I think this game deserves. Expand
  18. Jun 10, 2011
    The power of that game is its color and beauty. Weak side of that game is much more complex. At first - a game concept, which delivers a bunch of different mini-games followed one after another thanks to a poor idea behind the game. Second thing is absolutely brainless monsters although most of them are pretty tough. Third one - you can not explore anything - even the biggest locations,The power of that game is its color and beauty. Weak side of that game is much more complex. At first - a game concept, which delivers a bunch of different mini-games followed one after another thanks to a poor idea behind the game. Second thing is absolutely brainless monsters although most of them are pretty tough. Third one - you can not explore anything - even the biggest locations, they'd been built there like a decoration stuff (even people). Overall game is good, it's interesting and has a lot of fun-scary moments. Worth to buy (i'm looking at the steam price now - June 2011) but not expect that Metro 2033 is a kind of a masterpiece. 7 of 10 Expand
  19. May 27, 2012
    It's ok. It's a pretty well done game as far as graphics go looks good. The game is so linear though it's almost a rails-shooter. The game was optimized for consoles, PC game after (common with nearly all modern games). To make the game play better you have to go into Appdata/loca/ directory and edit the user.cfg file and turn on Vsync, POV etc. One thing that's frustrating is the AIIt's ok. It's a pretty well done game as far as graphics go looks good. The game is so linear though it's almost a rails-shooter. The game was optimized for consoles, PC game after (common with nearly all modern games). To make the game play better you have to go into Appdata/loca/ directory and edit the user.cfg file and turn on Vsync, POV etc. One thing that's frustrating is the AI and shooting. The enemy AI is pretty bad, humans are frustrating to fight because they're pretty dumb so to compensate their accuracy is set to 90% and they wallhack lol (well I guess all bots do). Fighting humans can be quite frustrating at times, and there's too much of it IMO. The monsters are well animated though, I just wish there were a bigger variety of monsters.

I do like the environment, the story is decent. All-in-all it's an ok game, I wouldn't spend more than $20 on it though.
  20. Apr 18, 2012
    A great adventure, nearly as good as HalfLife2 and very atmospheric. Great graphics and sound. Only a few small things (like empty gas filters on high difficulty and too low FieldOfView) stop it from being truly great. ~20 hours of gameplay. If you liked Half Life 2 or STALKER, You will probably like this game too.

Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism: 3/5, Story/Setting: 5/5, Graphics:

Gameplay: 3/5, Complexity/Realism: 3/5, Story/Setting: 5/5, Graphics: 5/5, Sound: 5/5, Balance/Refinement: 2/5, Controls/Interface: 2/5

WARNING: Even if you buy this as a DVD, you WILL BE FORCED TO USE "STEAM" TO PLAY. Also, if a friend happens to have just used his account on your computer, the game will link to that account when installing without warning you!
  21. ChristopherB
    Mar 20, 2010
    This game is fun to play and it has some good horror moments that just pops out off the darkness wich will make you jump from times to times. But theres some things in this game that give it a big turnoff wich is the really long loading time. Everytime you enter a new chapter it loads alot, even during the gameplay wich may couse you to die from some kind off lag. The game is fun and This game is fun to play and it has some good horror moments that just pops out off the darkness wich will make you jump from times to times. But theres some things in this game that give it a big turnoff wich is the really long loading time. Everytime you enter a new chapter it loads alot, even during the gameplay wich may couse you to die from some kind off lag. The game is fun and worth buying but I whould rather wait for some price drop. Christopher B Expand
  22. Jul 13, 2012
    Metro 2033 is a very atmospheric first person shooter/action game but unfortunately this game is hugely hampered by bad presentation. The visual effects of this game is quite impressive especially the lighting which really created a very realistic dark underground environment. The texture and character models are also great as well. The animations are also very well done and feel veryMetro 2033 is a very atmospheric first person shooter/action game but unfortunately this game is hugely hampered by bad presentation. The visual effects of this game is quite impressive especially the lighting which really created a very realistic dark underground environment. The texture and character models are also great as well. The animations are also very well done and feel very smooth. The story is decent enough but the problem with the presentation is the most levels you run through just feel like fillers rather than any actual meaning. And most characters are so generic and pointless most time. you feel like they are there just to progress the story. The pacing of this game is also a little off most time since it just feels so full of pointless fillers. Gameplay wise, the difficulty of this game gets very inconsistent. The stealth mechanics is so broken that you will found some levels brutally hard. I personally just do not enjoy this game that much. if you are looking for a thriller FPS experience I would recommend Bioshock 1 and 2 instead. Expand
  23. Jan 15, 2012
    Metro 2033 is the most unoptimized, sluggish game I've ever played in terms of graphical fidelity. Crysis runs better than this, and I have a pretty good rig. It's a fun game, but boy does it eviscerate GPUs.
  24. Nov 8, 2011
    The thing I liked most about this game was the environments. The atmosphere, lighting, and level designs came together for an immersive experience. Having said that, the rest of the game is very mediocre. The plot, game mechanics, and UI all work, but none are very interesting nor do they seem fresh. Overall, not much stands out, it is neither terrible nor great, just mediocre. I got it onThe thing I liked most about this game was the environments. The atmosphere, lighting, and level designs came together for an immersive experience. Having said that, the rest of the game is very mediocre. The plot, game mechanics, and UI all work, but none are very interesting nor do they seem fresh. Overall, not much stands out, it is neither terrible nor great, just mediocre. I got it on sale for about $20 and I think I got my money's worth. Expand
  25. Sep 21, 2013
    Overall a pretty good story-based shooter. It's a very well unified game. Game play is blended with environment almost seamlessly. Attention to detail and attempts at realism are relatively impressive and a compliment to the player's intelligence. The game feels a bit like an art house movie, though with considerable input from the player.

Although I've played the game through only

Although I've played the game through only once, I doubt that the replay value is very high. The game is very linear, and although there is exploration you end up doing the same thing each time. The game has some rpg elements, and it's too bad it didn't have more. It would have made sense to add dialog options for example. The animations could also use some work, especially for some of the enemies. When they come at you the frame rate tends to drop too much.

Still, I recommend this one, and I'm definitely getting the sequel.
  26. Oct 19, 2011
    I'm a fan of RPG games and shooters. Metro wants to be a mixture but the RPG part really is sad. Ok, you really feel knoiw what you are supposed to feel: lonelyless, fear of the dark, etc. but the atmo is really not thaaat good. it's a fair middle class shooter and if you loved stalker you probably gonna like his game. i hated stalker, mostly because of controls and because you didn'ntI'm a fan of RPG games and shooters. Metro wants to be a mixture but the RPG part really is sad. Ok, you really feel knoiw what you are supposed to feel: lonelyless, fear of the dark, etc. but the atmo is really not thaaat good. it's a fair middle class shooter and if you loved stalker you probably gonna like his game. i hated stalker, mostly because of controls and because you didn'nt feel to belong into the storyline. it's not really "bugs" that make stalker and metro a "middle class" game, it's more that sometimes you don't know where to go because the game didn't tell you properly or you reach a station (shelter/base) and you leave after 2 minutes because the story continues not caring of what you wanna do. after all i don't really regret buying it, but if you payed more then 10 bugs you got screwed, since the game surely has the capability of beeing a cool shooter but does not take its chances. Expand
  27. Nov 4, 2011
    Great game, but save system kills exploration, and exploration is key to getting "money". I would also love to try different approaches to the maps, as you can sometimes get through them several different ways, but having to replay the last 10 min kills that idea too....
  28. Aug 24, 2010
    A perfectly good game ruined by one of the worst AI's I've seen in a major release in 10 years. Yes the system requirements are steep, but it is pretty. I don't know any games with interiors this good. I was sort of shocked how far down I had to turn settings for it to run acceptably on a 460 GTS. I also had horrible sound issues. I can't complain about the price since I got it fromA perfectly good game ruined by one of the worst AI's I've seen in a major release in 10 years. Yes the system requirements are steep, but it is pretty. I don't know any games with interiors this good. I was sort of shocked how far down I had to turn settings for it to run acceptably on a 460 GTS. I also had horrible sound issues. I can't complain about the price since I got it from the THQ pack on Steam. Almost no replay values past the two endings. More of a horror show than a horror game. Although it does have more in common with Stalker the movie than the Stalker game does. Expand
  29. Sep 3, 2011
    Nothing more than an average quality fps. Not much of a story, just save your home station, thats it. You can't interact with much just the odd door and a couple of ammo crates, people and monsters just walk straight through you. Graphics are quite underwhelming, the people look quite good but the environment is daubed in poor low res textures (don't be fooled into thinking because aNothing more than an average quality fps. Not much of a story, just save your home station, thats it. You can't interact with much just the odd door and a couple of ammo crates, people and monsters just walk straight through you. Graphics are quite underwhelming, the people look quite good but the environment is daubed in poor low res textures (don't be fooled into thinking because a game uses dx11 it should automatically look good). I was expecting the game to be scary but it just wasn't i'm not sure why, just wasn't. Perhaps because the enemy isn't very tough or difficult to defeat. I won't knock the game like others have for being linear because it's set mainly in the Moscow Metro system so is hardly going to free roaming. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2010
    Well, this game had great potential! The storyline is interesting, the graphics are amazing and the A.I. SUCKS!!!!!!!!! While there are certainly other things that could have been improved, the game would have been much better had you been able to survive the firefights. Probably I just suck, but the fact that I had it on Easy and STILL could not get away from the bots is a bit ridiculous.Well, this game had great potential! The storyline is interesting, the graphics are amazing and the A.I. SUCKS!!!!!!!!! While there are certainly other things that could have been improved, the game would have been much better had you been able to survive the firefights. Probably I just suck, but the fact that I had it on Easy and STILL could not get away from the bots is a bit ridiculous. On easy, it would still take over a clip to kill a monster (for those who have played, the biomass spawners were the worst...), and the scarcity of ammo, unless you found every little stash, was quite annoying. Now I wouldn't complain about these things if I didn't have the setting on EASY, but when there are 6 difficulty levels, the bottom one should be a piece of cake. Besides that, the AI use ESP, or something! I will use an example that occurred when I was sneaking across the front lines into enemy territory. A car comes down the tunnel, and you must hide in the shadows as it passes. When it reaches the end of the tunnel, it sees a bunch of dead bodies from a previous battle (you have a choice of fighting or sneaking in this level, I ended up fighting). Instantly, the car reverses up the track, somehow knowing I am hiding in the shadows, and starts firing from a machine gun turret, even though THERE IS NO WAY THEY SHOULD KNOW EXACTLY WHERE I AM!!! Issues like this happened again and again, and it really got annoying, to the point where I almost didn't finish the game. It was a challenge just to kill someone silently, because, EVEN ON EASY, one shot head shots were near impossible. If it took two, the whole base instantly knew you were there and exactly where. In addition, the auto save screwed me over more than once when, while trying to run away from the crazy smart AI, I tripped an auto save, and thus every time I reloaded, I was in the middle of a firefight. The only solution was to restart the map. So, if you can handle the graphics, this game is a beautiful game, and quite interesting to explore (what little of it you can). However, if you are looking for a good shooter where you can feel like you're playing with normal humans and creatures, not mensa candidates, don't waste your time. It has little replay value, not a great number of weapons, and is more annoying than fun. You litterally watch more cut scenes than play. Expand
  31. Dec 19, 2010
    I enjoyed some aspects of the game. The story was intriguing and the gameplay was decent, but I found myself frustrated time and time again. I found that they barely give you enough to get by, but sometimes you have to look for it... The auto-save is a terrible feature that has put me in a number of bad situations. All too often I found myself in what felt like a no-chance scenario andI enjoyed some aspects of the game. The story was intriguing and the gameplay was decent, but I found myself frustrated time and time again. I found that they barely give you enough to get by, but sometimes you have to look for it... The auto-save is a terrible feature that has put me in a number of bad situations. All too often I found myself in what felt like a no-chance scenario and after many, many, deaths I found my way out of the situation. I was surprised to find that it ran so well on my outdated system. Expand
  32. Nov 9, 2011
    This game runs really poorly, and the gameplay ishonestly the worst part of the game, however the environment and story are really well done, however if you want a post apocolyptic nuclear wateland game, go Fallout.
  33. Mar 14, 2011
    The main focus of this game seems to be atmosphere so if you play games for this reason set the difficult to easy, smoke a bowl and enjoy. If you want great enemy AI, balance rpg elements, and well paced gameplay then this is really not the game for you. I wanted to love Metro because I loved the first STALKER but this game tries to be too many things. I only enjoyed a third of this game.The main focus of this game seems to be atmosphere so if you play games for this reason set the difficult to easy, smoke a bowl and enjoy. If you want great enemy AI, balance rpg elements, and well paced gameplay then this is really not the game for you. I wanted to love Metro because I loved the first STALKER but this game tries to be too many things. I only enjoyed a third of this game. If you buy this game expecting a hardcore gaming experience you will be disappointed. Expand
  34. Jan 3, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Such potential, but this game was obviously incomplete...
    Pros:
    -Amaxing DX11 rendered backgrounds and scenes. -High quality sounds (except voices)
    -Innovative usage of equipment
    -Decently designed missions
    -Nice story
    -Some moments that can actually scare you! Havent been this immersed in an environment since doom 3.
    -Realistic reloading. I like that it takes some time to reload your guns. Not all people are bill drill experts.
    Cons:
    -Character models suck...I mean the people look really bad compared to other modern games
    -Enemies lack enough movement animations. The only mob they spent a lot of time on you only interact with a couple of times (gargoyle like demon).
    -Very linear game, I knew I wasnt buying Fallout, but I got Contra.
    -Too many slow points mixed with a few overwhelming combat scenes. Should have been more smaller encounters.
    -Never fight a mixture of enemies, they are all the same within a given area (except 1 case).
    -Really bad AI. Stealth modes are so black and white, you either are stealthed or EVERY enemy knows where you are. Allies are idiots, the only good help you will get is in the defense of one station.
    -Voice acting is meh...but the voice audio is so much worse. You cannot hear the NPCs without cranking the volume. -Can only interact with certain NPCs
    -Some items can only be picked up under certain circumstances (filters, masks)
    -Holding keys for commands? We have keyboards, there needs to be much more options for button mapping. Game was clearly designed for consoles.
    -SPOILER: Story of 'dark ones' felt useless...was too vague throughout the game yet came to a head in the last 10 minutes of the game. Kinda like when a publisher has to cram it all in to the end of a book (coincidence?) Game could have totally done without them.

In short, dont give in to the hype; the graphics are amazing if you can run them, but this game was simply not ready to be released. If you can get it for half price, grab it, because it cerrtainly has some amazing redeeming qualities that make it a must play...just dont go around telling everyone it is worth every penny.
  35. Apr 27, 2011
    I caught this on steam for 10 bucks. It's not worth 20. The gameplay is very bland, an FPS with a tiny upgrade economy thrown in. The complaints about AI are valid. Shadow cover and silencers are in the game, but it's all blown as soon as you kill the first enemy in the area.
    It does have pretty good art and graphics. The monsters are very ugly and even a little scary. The use of suspense isn't overdone like an annoying horror movie, though. The storyline is interesting but the ending is kinda meh. The amount of content is about right for the price. Buy it on sale, beat it over a weekend and move on.
  36. Oct 25, 2010
    OK first let me say it is a very rich subject matter with a wide range of detailed play. The down side is its glitched to the point you want to shot yourself in the head. It seems to never move in any direction the limited story line and falls short of top performers but I still liked it and would play again sometime. I wish I could give it more but its just not there
  37. daveR
    Mar 23, 2010
    The graphics are very nice, but require a top-of-the-line card to run smoothly at the highest image settings (HD 5870/50 or GTX 480/70). The gameplay is good, but too scripted for my taste. I prefer more of a free-form roaming environment and discovery, as opposed to a predermined path through every chapter. Enemy AI is great and sometimes very tough, and the scarcity of ammo adds to the The graphics are very nice, but require a top-of-the-line card to run smoothly at the highest image settings (HD 5870/50 or GTX 480/70). The gameplay is good, but too scripted for my taste. I prefer more of a free-form roaming environment and discovery, as opposed to a predermined path through every chapter. Enemy AI is great and sometimes very tough, and the scarcity of ammo adds to the need to make every shot count when facing off. Some content is scary, and the overall mood reminds me of Cryostasis and Stalker. I would say I reccommend this game to anyone who likes dark, eerie gameplay, with lots of mutant creatures thrown into the mix. Expand
  38. Vet
    Apr 12, 2010
    Metro 2033 could have been a decent game, but it's preposterous toll on your PC and rage-inducing random difficulty spikes body slam it down into the realm of the irredeemable. I'd like to say it's a shame and that it could have been something truly unique, but the atmosphere and setting the game tries so hard to achieve already came in the form of the STALKER games (the Metro 2033 could have been a decent game, but it's preposterous toll on your PC and rage-inducing random difficulty spikes body slam it down into the realm of the irredeemable. I'd like to say it's a shame and that it could have been something truly unique, but the atmosphere and setting the game tries so hard to achieve already came in the form of the STALKER games (the latest of which, Call of Pripyat, arrived a month before Metro, and at half the price on Steam). Unless you just bought a pair of ATI 5970's or GTX 480's and are dying to see a game in DirectX11, don't spend your money on Metro until it hits the bargain bin. Expand
  39. Dec 22, 2011
    Fantastic graphically and sound wise. It really pulls you into the world. However it is quite short and has no re playability incentive apart from achievements. It is also Steam activated DRM so you can't sell it. Don't think I will be playing again so only buy if you can get it dirt cheap.
  40. Dec 26, 2012
    Are you confused as to what to make of the reviews? Metro 2033 is very cheap, and for that alone you're probably better off buying it. This is an incredibly linear FPS experience - you will rarely be able to make decisions, very little interaction is allowed between the environment and the player, and perhaps most frustrating are the weapons and resources. There's a lack of them. If, likeAre you confused as to what to make of the reviews? Metro 2033 is very cheap, and for that alone you're probably better off buying it. This is an incredibly linear FPS experience - you will rarely be able to make decisions, very little interaction is allowed between the environment and the player, and perhaps most frustrating are the weapons and resources. There's a lack of them. If, like me, you play on the highest difficulty, you'll find yourself scarce with ammunition, and seldom able to buy anything in the stores. AIs in this game are frustrating, with stealth very difficult to utilize. The game passes far too quickly, and the plot becomes predictable. I may be a little pedantic, but if you're sick of the typical post-apocalyptic linear, "you're the special one", kind of FPS, then you won't have made much of a mistake walking past this game. There were some enjoyable moments, but they were drowned by very long scenes and gruesome AIs. Expand
  41. BenE
    Mar 17, 2010
    This game is extremely linear and yet at times you still find yourself lost and wondering what you are expected to go next due to poor level design. There are some really bad game design choices like mapping the ammo change function to the reload key - in the heat of battle as you frantically try to reload, you find yourself changing ammo type by accident. All those crowds in the This game is extremely linear and yet at times you still find yourself lost and wondering what you are expected to go next due to poor level design. There are some really bad game design choices like mapping the ammo change function to the reload key - in the heat of battle as you frantically try to reload, you find yourself changing ammo type by accident. All those crowds in the screenshots we've seen? You cannot interact with them - they're nothing more than 'cardboard cutouts'. This game has some fancy graphics and thats all. Expand
  42. Nov 14, 2011
    At times I love this game, and at times I hate this game.

The atmosphere is incredible. The narration is great. Good graphics. Not the scariest game I've ever played, but still pretty creepy. The voice acting and animation is poor. The minimum allowed mouse sensitivity is still too high (I play at 700 DPI). The vertical sensitivity is less than the horizontal sensitivity... very
    At times I love this game, and at times I hate this game.

The voice acting and animation is poor. The minimum allowed mouse sensitivity is still too high (I play at 700 DPI). The vertical sensitivity is less than the horizontal sensitivity... very annoying. The gunplay could be better. The character movement seems stilted.
  43. Sep 26, 2013
    Ironically, not even close to as sprawling and open world as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Too slow paced to be a Call Of Duty game, and simply too boring to bother sitting through. Metro 2033 has its share of problems that compound as the game goes on, it suffers from a very slow intro-sequence that merely suggests you later come back to that exact same point in time. Though the mutatedIronically, not even close to as sprawling and open world as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games. Too slow paced to be a Call Of Duty game, and simply too boring to bother sitting through. Metro 2033 has its share of problems that compound as the game goes on, it suffers from a very slow intro-sequence that merely suggests you later come back to that exact same point in time. Though the mutated creatures are interesting, they don't vary much in appearance in one area, so you often spend time in the tunnels fighting bat-things, up top fighting rat things, or later fighting tall weird things. I could never understand how they made such a combat oriented game, play like a poor man's scripted first person shooter. The guns are clunky, the aiming is slow, the gas mask obscures your view for no good reason and isn't interesting from a realistic perspective. The visuals may be gorgeous, but they don't help the fact that this game is all over the place, its narrative is poor, its far too scripted to be entertaining, monster fights are over before too long, half the setup in some areas of the game devolve into shooting other humans, stealth sections were poorly done, and I didn't care for the ammo/ money system. It was far too easy to re-install S.T.A.L.K.E.R. over this game. I didn't care for the atmosphere, it felt like it was borrowing just a bit too much from some other game I've previously mentioned. It never hit mainstream appeal, so thank goodness for that. At least I realized that a beastly computer alongside some fantastic graphics aren't all that make up this game. I consider Metro 2033 more of a tech demo than an actual game, much like Crysis. Expand
  44. Jan 14, 2013
    The atmosphere of the game is amazing! Graphics aside from the faces are great! Story is good as well. The game is very likable. But.... There are serious issues with the game. on "normal" setting the enemies are unrealisticly tough, One shotgun shoot to the face will kill your enemy up close. Yet it takes 3!!
    also, majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't
    also, majority of people you meet are little more than mannequins, who won't speak or react to you in any way. Which is kind of bad, becasue it takes away from the experience. Overall, I wanted to give to game a higher score.. but the shooter part, which the game is. Isnt up to standards.
  45. Nov 15, 2011
    first off the grafxs with dx11 cranked all the way up wow (until you go out side) the lvls are cramped but its called metro so what do you think its going to be like . I found the game quite hard but do able .. it is a very intense ride with some creepy bits , its dark down there monsters want to kill you people want to kill you.. performance for how good it looks its not bad for me ifirst off the grafxs with dx11 cranked all the way up wow (until you go out side) the lvls are cramped but its called metro so what do you think its going to be like . I found the game quite hard but do able .. it is a very intense ride with some creepy bits , its dark down there monsters want to kill you people want to kill you.. performance for how good it looks its not bad for me i keep msaa off and dof it will run and look real nice
    i would score it higher but the small lvls and liner gameplay get to me
  46. Dec 13, 2012
    STALKER ripoff with a stronger plot but very linear. It has some memorable moments but the endings are awful and unrewarding. Definitely worth checking out for the strong atmosphere and unique (albeit occasionally ridiculous) storyline but only worth one playthrough.
  47. Jan 4, 2013
    bought this game 75%off otherwise could have been a waste of money , first the good.. storyline mainly a stole from enemy at the gates movie brought from 1942 to 2033 is ok, graphics are exellent , the bad , your pc fan will overload to cool down the cpu and videocard, gameplay revolves around finding bullets whic are extremely rare u have to strip every corpse you encounter to find 3bought this game 75%off otherwise could have been a waste of money , first the good.. storyline mainly a stole from enemy at the gates movie brought from 1942 to 2033 is ok, graphics are exellent , the bad , your pc fan will overload to cool down the cpu and videocard, gameplay revolves around finding bullets whic are extremely rare u have to strip every corpse you encounter to find 3 bullets in one. the ugly realism stops when you shoot your enemy you precious bullets only work half the time the other half you seem to be shooting blanks sometime you can empty your inventory shooting at an enemy point blank with not a scrach , while it takes him only 1 or 2 shots in normal difficulty to make reload the game. final thoughts great graphics running on a poor unexiting engine that makes you give up the game quickly. Expand
  48. Mar 8, 2013
    First-person shooter in post-nuclear subway. The setting and graphics are great, presenting desperate men surviving in a mutant-filled underground quite vividly. Action/shooter part is nothing special, except maybe for one or two unusual weapons. You may think sneaking will be important tactics in given conditions, but it isn't. You can sneak through one or two scenes, but mostly you areFirst-person shooter in post-nuclear subway. The setting and graphics are great, presenting desperate men surviving in a mutant-filled underground quite vividly. Action/shooter part is nothing special, except maybe for one or two unusual weapons. You may think sneaking will be important tactics in given conditions, but it isn't. You can sneak through one or two scenes, but mostly you are discovered very quickly and then enemies are looking for you indefinitely. The game is very story-driven and linear. I "kind of" like the story and read the original book, but some parts of it are just ridiculous. Like for example starving men role-playing WWII with each other, while being surrounded by hostile mutants. As for hardware problems mentioned in other reviews, my PC is maybe 3 years old but not specifically gaming-oriented, and it runs the game just fine. Overall, I recommend to try this game if you are a fan of post-apocalypse, but I do not recommend it as just a regular shooter game. Expand
  49. Sep 1, 2013
    A ok game, definitely not mediocre, but i had the sense that it was rehashing some scenes from Half-life 1 and 2 (and some episodes), in a very "meh" way.
    The graphics settings though are horrible, no way of customising them and the game is not optimised.
    The gameplay is very linear, and doesn't even try to hide it. More like train ride. If you are into this sort of thing, you'll enjoy
    If you are into this sort of thing, you'll enjoy it.
    As for the so called "beauty" of it, yeah it has some nice directX effects, but it is like looking at frozen garbage bin all the way (with some rare exceptions).
    Storywise it was quite promising, but they didn't bother to flesh it out.
    It ends up having all those story elements just to fill the empty space between shootings.
  50. Mar 7, 2012
    Good fun on first playthrough but not much to offer past that. Levels are linear and you find yourself being pulled along by the game when what you want to do is stop, take a breath and look around. That said, the visual and sound design are very good and has some fantastic (quicktime) sequences, the atmosphere is excellent, though I wish the player was awarded more freedom.
  51. Feb 28, 2015
    Excellent English voice acting. Excellent detailed scenes. Very good storyline. So what's not to like? Well, I'm a casual gamer and even on the easiest level the game is difficult. After a while I lost interest in continually going through trial and error (die and retry) until I can get through a level. I don't like trying cheat codes but on this game I tried a few but they didn't seem toExcellent English voice acting. Excellent detailed scenes. Very good storyline. So what's not to like? Well, I'm a casual gamer and even on the easiest level the game is difficult. After a while I lost interest in continually going through trial and error (die and retry) until I can get through a level. I don't like trying cheat codes but on this game I tried a few but they didn't seem to work as expected. So, bottom line, I stopped playing the game and really don't have a desire to see it through till the end. I'll be satisfied reading a few spoilers. I suppose the developers realized how short the game was so they just made it harder so the player would thing the game was longer.

A very annoying element to the game is the overly loud wheezing and breathing with the mask on. I had to eventually turn down the sound and switch to subtitles to get a little relief. Even though the graphics was excellent, the developers went out of their way to try to visually degrade that quality when the player is wearing a mask. It didn't really add anything to the game by degrading the quality that much. It was jut another annoyance. Why do game developers like flashlights that last only a few minutes. Why not bring back kerosene miner's helmets? Get a load of the size of the charging unit!
  52. Sep 21, 2013
    I enjoyed the story and I wish there was more of the supernatural events that occur near the beginning throughout the game, after the first 1/4 I bought Last Light, but as the game went on I hope I don't regret the purchase, 2033 had some very drawn out parts, particularly the combat, which features retarded AI that takes away any fun; I found myself playing through parts to view the cutI enjoyed the story and I wish there was more of the supernatural events that occur near the beginning throughout the game, after the first 1/4 I bought Last Light, but as the game went on I hope I don't regret the purchase, 2033 had some very drawn out parts, particularly the combat, which features retarded AI that takes away any fun; I found myself playing through parts to view the cut scenes and get to the atmospheric areas, ie. the safe areas, they are beautiful, I found myself just standing to listen to the music at some points.
    YES IT IS LINEAR. Get over it. BOOKS are rather linear too; you don't read a book that tells you a story from page 1 to 300 and get upset you can't flip around as you choose. I think one needs to realize that, it's not open world; and it does a good job at telling that story and utilizing elements that could not be found in multiplayer.
    Cons: AI is retarded, sometimes they just walk around in circles or get stuck in a path. A little drawn out, 10hrs to play, but only 6hrs had me "hooked", most of the combat I did not enjoy due to the AI. No save feature, sometimes the auto save would save when my mask got cracked, so I'd have to restart the whole level, huge piss off. There will be scenes where you will have to look on youtube to figure out what to do, judging by the comments on the videos, I am far from being alone here. Even though it's linear, there are 3-4 places where you will ask yourself "wtf does the game want me to do?!!?"
    Pros: Features not found in other games, like the gas mask and creative use of cutscenes. The ending is quite interesting, abstract and dream like. I questioned my "choices", I wondered what some of the cut scenes were all along. (I wish the game had MORE of those and less combat).
    5/10 Rainy day game, 10hrs to beat. Will not play again. Get it on sale. I'm hoping Last Light solves all these issues, I look forward to the atmospheres I will find there.
  53. Nov 25, 2012
    A game that oozes atmosphere with it's immersive setting, complemented with high quality graphics and sound effects. Metro puts in place a solid story that works but the gameplay is where Metro 2033 falls short. Getting the gameplay right is essential which is why I'm giving this only a 6 despite all the other niceties. The stealth aspect is completely broken and the gunplay isn't exactlyA game that oozes atmosphere with it's immersive setting, complemented with high quality graphics and sound effects. Metro puts in place a solid story that works but the gameplay is where Metro 2033 falls short. Getting the gameplay right is essential which is why I'm giving this only a 6 despite all the other niceties. The stealth aspect is completely broken and the gunplay isn't exactly stellar. A lot of the time, I found levels to be dull and tedious. There are a few innovative ideas here and there that I like, but it doesn't cover up the mediocre firefights and stealthy bits. Expand
  54. Oct 7, 2012
    Very good game, and also, very frightening. It does take a bit of skill to get through, even on difficulty 'normal'. The design is very nice, and if you are out after a scary game, this is the one you're looking for ;). The thing keeping this down a bit is - I think this was mentioned in another review - the lack of exploration. There isn't much space to run around wherever you want. ButVery good game, and also, very frightening. It does take a bit of skill to get through, even on difficulty 'normal'. The design is very nice, and if you are out after a scary game, this is the one you're looking for ;). The thing keeping this down a bit is - I think this was mentioned in another review - the lack of exploration. There isn't much space to run around wherever you want. But to counter that -- You don't want to run around and explore in this game! You want to finish the task you've been given, and complete the quest. So for anyone looking for a scary game, this is the one. Expand
  55. Jun 23, 2013
    Linear, linear, linear. I thought we were past this by now? Yes, tunnels can be linear but why can't I barge through a wooden barricade or cut a wire fence to find an alternative route? And when I'm in the open, why the hell can't I climb up a wall or pass through some trees to avoid a boss fight?

Some aspects of the game are quite good but, for me, it was overshadowed by the distinct lack of choices and the limited size of the maps.

On a positive side it looks pretty good. But there were plenty of areas that looked like they were low resolution textures, which I found quite disappointing when I spotted them. It's not as bad as Rage though nothing could be THAT bad.

So, the game ok. But for mew it was a disappointment and certainly not worth $60.
  56. May 19, 2013
    Metro 2033 is set in a dark and bleak world. Where humanity is at it's last and in hope of surviving from the mutant hordes and other people. This game delivers a good setting where no other video game took, underground in the Moscow Metro. After the war, which has not much been told of. The surface of Moscow and the rest of the world has become irradiated with toxic air, requiring you toMetro 2033 is set in a dark and bleak world. Where humanity is at it's last and in hope of surviving from the mutant hordes and other people. This game delivers a good setting where no other video game took, underground in the Moscow Metro. After the war, which has not much been told of. The surface of Moscow and the rest of the world has become irradiated with toxic air, requiring you to wear your gas mask at all times. You will need to look around for filters, to continue breathing and living. But at the same time you have to be aware of mutants that roam the surface. It's story is well told in it's well done setting and atmosphere. Graphically it looks good but not good at the same time. It's combat is not that well caught up to now but it's fine. Though stealth is a huge problem and broken, don't try to go on that approach. You will indeed have to scavenge for ammo at all times, even in the surface. But in the metro, the air is not toxic in most areas. Those are the only spots which you may breathe without a gas mask. The game also delivers a well told story starring a man named Artyom, who survived the great war and retreated into the Moscow Metro with the others. Metro 2033 almost has it's own mystery behind it, that makes you wonder what all the fuzz is about. But it feels as if only half of the mystery is only answered, leaving it at the center of satisfaction. Overall, this game may not be for everyone. If you are looking for a fresh atmosphere, cool setting, and a well told story. This game may surprise you. It may be worth it. Expand
  57. Apr 3, 2013
    Metro 2033 is a great shooter. The story is captivating because it’s believable. It’s not outrageous like Bioshock or run-of-the-mill like every other blockbuster FPS. It’s sad, yet hopeful. There is the incredible urgency of trying to save a world that was lost long ago. Living on a planet scarred by nuclear war would not be easy, and the developers did an outstanding job conveying the hMetro 2033 is a great shooter. The story is captivating because it’s believable. It’s not outrageous like Bioshock or run-of-the-mill like every other blockbuster FPS. It’s sad, yet hopeful. There is the incredible urgency of trying to save a world that was lost long ago. Living on a planet scarred by nuclear war would not be easy, and the developers did an outstanding job conveying the h the hardships of post-apocalyptic life. Metro is definitely not for novices. Even on medium difficulty, enemies are brutal and take massive amounts of damage before dying (which I enjoyed). The difficulty is heightened since supplies are scarce, so players must conserve ammo and do fair amounts of exploring to gather hidden goodies. There are a few shops, but goods are expensive. Some players will simply run and gun only to realize too late that they have exhausted their supplies and ammo. Overall, the game design achieves the desperation of living underground. Graphically, Metro really shines. The environments are truly amazing, and the attention to detail is impeccable. The contrast between the dark, oppressive tunnels and the bright, bleak surface is exceptional and worthy of the praise this game has received. The missing HUD display is a welcome novelty allowing players to enjoy the sights unobstructed. Unfortunately, NPC’s aren’t so lucky. Character animations are a bit clunky and reminiscent of the original Witcher. Even worse, the same character models (especially for children and women) are recycled over and over again. They will always say the same things when passing by. This breaks the immersion to an otherwise believable world. The biggest flaw with Metro’s game engine is the sluggish frame rates. Even on a beast machine, the game will slow to a crawl at times, such as after throwing grenades and close quarters combat. Screen tearing is a problem as well. There is no menu option to enable vertical syncing. Forcing v-sync manually thru my graphics card settings helped a little, but tearing crept up throughout the game, even during cinematics. Combat is a decent overall. The reviewers complaining that combat are taking the wrong approach. I used a control pad and had no issues blasting away at enemies or executing a flawless knife kill. Each gun has a unique feel, and everyone should experiment to find the ideal loadout. On the downside, the stealth mechanics are lacking. Sniping does not get the same results when placing the exact same shots. The character might fall silently, or he might scream and flail around as he falls alerting everyone. If players are really unlucky, the target will spin around and blast them. The unpredictability might be built into the game to up the challenge, but a shot thru the neck should be deadly. If detected, all enemies will immediately know your location even if you’re hiding in the darkest corner of the level. The AI is not particularly smart, but baddies compensate with insane accuracy. When detected, run like hell and find cover. After reloading certain levels, I noticed detection is also a gamble. Sometimes I could use throwing knives and complete a section, but other times I would be detected as soon as the second enemy dropped. Even crawling had mixed results. The lack of silent takedowns contributes to the frustration. Stealth missions are a large part of the experience, so I’m really disappointed at the lack of polish. Since stealth is lackluster, I recommend players use a combination of stealth and run-and-gun. Blasting away at baddies is more fun, and using controlled, well-placed shots will conserve ammo. If limited ammo is an issue, spam grenades. They’re everywhere. Enemies tend to group, so cooked grenades will net multiple kills. Although stealth mechanics are a missed opportunity in Metro, the lack of interaction with NPC’s is an even bigger one. Stations are brimming with inhabitants, yet players can only talk to a few. Exploration is also limited, and one station players visit cannot be explored at all. Although these limitations are more than likely intentional to keep the story moving, it makes them no less disappointing. The developers offer a beautiful world and then dictate a linear path for us to follow. There are moments when tension in the game builds, but it fails to scare us. It’s ironic that a game noted for its haunting environments lets the tension fizzle out when players should be jumping from their seats. Nonetheless, this is a game worth owning. It has a lot to offer even if it falls short in some areas. The game would be worthy of a higher score, but the developers should’ve ironed out the graphical hiccups, allowed more exploration, and fine-tuned the enemy AI before release. Expand
  58. Jun 20, 2013
    Mediocre Story Great Atmosphere Bad Combat/Hit Detection KICKASS Graphics Bad character development. Genuinely overrated as well as Metro:Last Light. If goes on sale pick up.
  59. May 26, 2013
    It was a great enjoyable game with a nice story, but the game was unstable for certain graphic cards.
    The weapons are nice and the graphics delivers a good scary atmosphere.
  60. sft
    May 22, 2013
    Hard going underground

Hard going underground

METRO 2033 is a flawed and glitchy game that is wholly redeemed by it’s great atmosphere. As a fan of survival horror I was hoping for something truly creepy, like the old Silent Hill games used to be, and it pretty much delivered on that front. Post-apocalyptic Moscow and its subway system are populated by some pretty nasty creatures (as well as groups of Nazi soldiers, which is perhaps a little incongruous) and I was properly startled on several occasions when these critters jumped out of nowhere. The game looks pretty good, if not outstanding, and the gameplay itself it pretty straightforward FPS fare. There are quite a few glitches though, such as lag when gun swapping, sticking points where there’s nothing to get stuck on, and enemies that behave oddly and seem to have ESP. These glitches can make the game frustrating at times. It’s also a pretty tough game, but that’s not a criticism. If you like survival horror, and can put up with the frustrations, this game is definitely worth a play through.
  61. Jun 1, 2013
    I finished Metro 2033 in just over 10 hours, I decided I would play it before I play last light (Which I yet to play). Metro 2033 succeeds in it's atmosphere. Visually the game is beautiful. There is no argument. Whilst encountering a couple of bad drops in FPS (Chapter 6) I still found myself in awe in more than one occasion, from looking out into the shattered Moscow skyline, to hearingI finished Metro 2033 in just over 10 hours, I decided I would play it before I play last light (Which I yet to play). Metro 2033 succeeds in it's atmosphere. Visually the game is beautiful. There is no argument. Whilst encountering a couple of bad drops in FPS (Chapter 6) I still found myself in awe in more than one occasion, from looking out into the shattered Moscow skyline, to hearing the echoes of the men trying to kill me from a dark dusty tunnel. The monsters feel real, dangerous and most importantly, terrifying (Chapter 5).

The game itself, for the play factor, is a linear shooter. Don't expect to go running round the Post-Apocalyptic Moscow to your hearts desire. You will have one place to go, and you play through the journey there. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing. I enjoyed playing through Artyoms (Who you play) story, but I found myself aching to roam off into the network of tunnels and make my own story, to discover what else this world can hold. I found myself asking more questions, than I was getting answered. What's down there? How did this happen? Whats in that tunnel? Whats that in the distance? Etc, etc. However embrace what you get, and you find yourself sometimes forgetting the path is already made.

Take your time. That is the best advice I have, the game is relatively short, make sure you get engaged with whats happening. Not just in terms of the World you're in. But also the dangers and problems you will encounter. To name such a few, Ammo. Take every last bullet you can find. Because you may not find anymore for a long time. The monsters. They hit hard, they hit fast, and they don't die easily (unlike you) This game can be very unforgiving and you may sometimes find yourself in a seemingly impossible situation, requiring you to restart the level because your checkpoint is at a spot of hopeless peril.

TL;DR:
    All in all, if you're deciding whether to buy this, for the price it's at now? Yes. You get an incredible snippet story from Artyoms life. A world that can completely take you out of your room, and into the nuclear wasteland of Moscow. Short, and in terms of game play, simple, but a powerful engaging story of a world that you won't forget. An open world Metro would be a dream, but this won't ruin your experience. They did a great job making sure the player will keep playing (If you have ammo ofcourse), And you will most likely enjoy the story you get given. I would rate this 7.5 if I could.

PROS: CONS:
    Atmosphere A very linear story
    Detail Difficulty (I'm good enough at games to know this one was tough!)
    Story FPS drops
  62. Jun 29, 2013
    Metro 2033 is based inside the metro-tunnels of Moscow, in a post-apocalyptic world. Mankind falls from the top of the food-chain and has to struggle to survive. Mutants roam in the tunnels and flying demons hunt on the poisoned skies above. And mankind has turned against each other, fighting over resources that are left. And the new "Homo Novus", a new phase of evolution, seeks to replaceMetro 2033 is based inside the metro-tunnels of Moscow, in a post-apocalyptic world. Mankind falls from the top of the food-chain and has to struggle to survive. Mutants roam in the tunnels and flying demons hunt on the poisoned skies above. And mankind has turned against each other, fighting over resources that are left. And the new "Homo Novus", a new phase of evolution, seeks to replace mankind. This game has more or less typical story and atmosphere, but the best part is the claustrophobic combat inside the tunnels, your weapons are homemade and the only "weapon of the old world" is the classic AK-47. The currency of the metro is military-grade bullets, which are effective in combat or can be used to buy weapons, ammunition and supplies. The story and it's result is formed by the way play. So being stealthy and acting unselfish to the other NPCs has it's own benefits. Even though you have a knife and some throwing knives, the stealth is still pretty hard, almost impossible, because you have to be in an exact spot to kill an enemy silently and with only one stab. So the stealth in this game is quite kinky and the story isn't a wow-factor, so this game is only fun, when blasting enemies with full power, using your entire arsenal. Expand
  63. Jul 16, 2013
    When I first started playing this game I was pretty excited about it. The graphics are amazing, the environment is superb, and the story grabbed my attention well enough. After awhile though the awe of the graphics and environment wear off and what you have is a game that is nowhere near deserving the score of 81 it has on this site.

The AI is just terrible, one moment they will be

The AI is just terrible, one moment they will be picking you off across the map in the dark and another moment they'll be hiding behind cover with their backs to you. At one time one was shooting a turret at me even when I got well past it's swivel range, I stood there beside him while he unloaded his turret as close as it could get to me. The sneaking levels are horrendous. The first time I encountered a level where the game obviously wanted me to sneak around and take people out I made the mistake of thinking I could kill quietly from behind with a knife in my hand, boy was I wrong! Instead of sneaking up on a patrol and holding my hand over his mouth and sliding my knife over his jugular, my guy proceeds to slash the knife across his back which is a noise everyone in the entire room recognizes and pinpoints immediately and on top of that the knife doesn't kill him. The throwing knives, which I had one of, seem to work for the most part in killing silently but if that enemy happens to fall on the throwing knife you're not getting it back. I played this game awhile fully expecting it to get better, (it got an 8.2 from users which is the score I listen to over the critics, it's got to get better!) unfortunately it never did. The game was becoming a chore but I paid good money for this game so I kept at it until I came upon the dreaded amoeba stage. This stage is just terrible, if you're one of those people that becomes frustrated when a game starts you over for your AI partner dying then avoid this game! It's not even that the AI dies over and over it's that he doesn't even try to live! He walks full on into these exploding balls of goo, my god man! Do something! Run! Shoot! Stop walking into them and dying! If the AI and stealth levels were anywhere close to decent then this game would be deserving of the 8.2 but it's an unpolished mess and deserves a 6 at the most.
  64. Sep 1, 2014
    the good:
    + beautiful game, good sound and wonderful atmosphere.
    (going through abandoned tunnels have never been soo scary) the bad: - terrible/unrealistic AI (AI has 100% accuracy in a dark room from a mile away, they also get alerted to your presence very easily) - bad game mechanics: (stealth is encouraged, but no stealth kills unless u throw a knife (silenced guns and
    the good:
    + beautiful game, good sound and wonderful atmosphere.
    (going through abandoned tunnels have never been soo scary)

the bad:
    - terrible/unrealistic AI

- bad game mechanics:
    (stealth is encouraged, but no stealth kills unless u throw a knife (silenced guns and melee dont work)

- bad save game system:
    (saves when you are being shot at, which results to an endless loop of deaths)

-bad writing
    (characters appear out of nowhere with no reason at all, unrealistic story ie: sneaking through a base undetected only for the enemy to know exactly which door you going to use to capture you in a cutscene)
  65. Oct 10, 2013
    I would Say The Game is good and bad at the same time cause the atmosphere of the game was good, the story and the AMAZING graphics! But the bad things about it was the characters and enemies.
    First i'll go with the enemies then the characters.
    First i'll go with the enemies then the characters.
    The enemies are pretty much too smart and they are so hard to hit even with like one of the most powerful gun in the game but they won't die! Like the monsters i shot most of my precious Military Grade Ammo and i just killed like 2 or 3 Monsters...

Now on too the characters The characters have good back story they're good and all BUT they are just TOUR GUIDES they just kill all the enemies for you and soak up the potential of the game... I hope you think this is a honest review
  66. Feb 12, 2014
    Lots of killing, good voice acting, graphics are good. The steam version of the game has a bug that makes it crash at Chapter 4 The Depot. Tried the "fix": stand up, face backwards, lowest resolution, mask and lights off, click heels together three times. Can't pass the glitch. Still waiting for this 'interesting story' to appear in Chapter 4 of 7: won't hold my breath. Wasn't enjoying itLots of killing, good voice acting, graphics are good. The steam version of the game has a bug that makes it crash at Chapter 4 The Depot. Tried the "fix": stand up, face backwards, lowest resolution, mask and lights off, click heels together three times. Can't pass the glitch. Still waiting for this 'interesting story' to appear in Chapter 4 of 7: won't hold my breath. Wasn't enjoying it much anyway. Expand
  67. Jul 18, 2014
    I played this game some years after its release so lot of technical issues reported soon after launch were solved. Never had any problems. The game is cool, has a good story and really builds up an unique atmosphere. It mantains tension up! Shooter aspects of the game are not so developed so the experience will not be as smooth as other FPS. The campain ended to soon, i would have likedI played this game some years after its release so lot of technical issues reported soon after launch were solved. Never had any problems. The game is cool, has a good story and really builds up an unique atmosphere. It mantains tension up! Shooter aspects of the game are not so developed so the experience will not be as smooth as other FPS. The campain ended to soon, i would have liked the experience to go on a little longer. Expand
  68. Jun 1, 2014
    I really dig this game. It's dark creepy undertone is enough to make you hesitate when turning corners and the odd hallucinations and supernatural happenings keep you on the edge of your seat. My only complaint is that the stealth mechanics need a lot of work. Some of the stealth levels are borderline frustrating to complete. However, this is only a problem in a couple places and it was anI really dig this game. It's dark creepy undertone is enough to make you hesitate when turning corners and the odd hallucinations and supernatural happenings keep you on the edge of your seat. My only complaint is that the stealth mechanics need a lot of work. Some of the stealth levels are borderline frustrating to complete. However, this is only a problem in a couple places and it was an overall decent game to play. Expand
  69. Sep 4, 2014
    Beautiful and detailed game and whatsoever, though Im glad I've got this for free with my GPU, because the stupid AI, short gameplay and very easy hard mode wasn't worth my admission.
  70. Mar 2, 2015
    It's was a good experience ,,, am not very high on FPS games , and in that regard the games weapons are similar to any FPS game out there ,,, I thought the game story wasn't that interesting , the plot , voice acting , and characters were very average and generic at best ,, but i somewhat enjoyed the themes of post nuclear Russia ,, reminds me a lot of Fallout 3 ,,,, The game shinesIt's was a good experience ,,, am not very high on FPS games , and in that regard the games weapons are similar to any FPS game out there ,,, I thought the game story wasn't that interesting , the plot , voice acting , and characters were very average and generic at best ,, but i somewhat enjoyed the themes of post nuclear Russia ,, reminds me a lot of Fallout 3 ,,,, The game shines greatly on it's environment and atmosphere of post-apocalyptic survival horror , very well done in graphics and lighting ,,, i'll say it's not a great game , nor it's a bad game ,,, many things about it will forget in a month or so ,,, it's a good game to fill your time with if you don't have better games to play Expand
  71. Jun 21, 2015
    Good story, a must play for any gamer. One of those games you have to play

But it has incridbly dumb ai!
    Its not scary at all(not a con for me!)
    The creatures are cute!
    Gameplay is terrible! Even at 60fps you cant conttol you char without feeling bad and you only have terrible guns!
  72. Nov 13, 2011
    The Good: The game is beautiful, the environments are detailed and realistic, the storyline is interesting, and the voice actors sell it well. The game does a great job of immersing you in the world and making you feel like a part of it. That is, until you get to the combat.

The Bad: The game chews up GPUs on the higher settings, and has some graphical tearing on mid-level systems. The game is very hard, even on normal difficulty. This wouldn't normally be a complaint, as most modern FPS games are not very challenging. I actually like seeing a game that presents a challenge. The problem here is that it is too hard due to a lack of realism. First, your enemies can take a lot of punishment. Too much in fact. I shot a guy in the head point-blank with the shotgun three times, and then he turned around and killed me. I get that the developers wanted you to shoot somewhere else, because they put a helmet on him. But helmet or no helmet, if you take a 12-guage to the face you're not going to shrug it off like someone spit on you. Second, all of the enemies you fight are like navy seals on crack. They have extremely good accuracy at range, and can even hit you with the shotgun from 40 yards off (if you try to shoot someone with the shotgun from more than 2 feet away they won't take any damage). They also have a nasty habit of being able to shoot you through boxes and cover, while your guns cannot pierce cover. Third, they always know where you are, and they will surround you and wait for you to come out. If one see's you, they all have a homing beacon for where you are until you die. There are several situations in the game where you have no opportunity to flank your enemies, and the only way through is straight ahead. You better hope you have grenades if you find yourself in this situation, otherwise you're probably dead, because the navy seals don't miss. Another huge flaw unrelated to combat, is that the game chooses questionable times to save checkpoints for you. At one point I had to restart a level, when the game chose to save a checkpoint for me when I was at no health and bullets were heading toward me. Load, die instantly, repeat. The game is very appealing for many reasons. I tried really hard to like it. However, the aforementioned flaws make it unplayable. 4/10 for good graphics, good story, good acting, and poor gameplay.

1. May 30, 2011
    Your enjoyment of Metro 2033 hinges on your willingness to let a game batter you into submission.
  2. 4A Games leaves you no choice but to engage with the gameplay of Metro 2033 because of its dark tone and great story. Hardcore gamers looking for a unique experience in PC ultimately will be rewarded by this atmospheric and fast-paced shooter.
  3. Novel and videogame join to compose a very interesting proposal in the saturated first person action genre.