Miasmata PC

• Publisher: IonFX
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
7.7

1. Jan 5, 2013
    The game is pretty and mysterious, and I like that. But the recommended hardware on Steam needs to be reevaluated, my computer is a lot better than what they listed but I still got a kinda choppy fps. It's not a huge deal though. The main reason I give it a 7 is that the game is incredibly slow and easily becomes boring. Other than that, it's fun to look at and explore around the island.
  2. Dec 10, 2012
    To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing,To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing, collect plants. As another person said, it IS literary a bush walking simulator. However it does have it's shining points. I applaud the graphics for two people and design. A lot of the scenery is beautiful and it does get you thinking about the islands previous inhabitants. If you do not mind the snail like pace progression and the repetitiveness of it and know that all you really do is just walk and walk and walk through an island, then you should pick it up. A major downfall is the price and the system requirements. Expand
  3. Jan 2, 2013
    I turned the graphics down and such, so that's all fine. But my only problem is that the camera is constantly slowly moving to the left. I don't know why it's doing that, and even if I unplug my mouse, it continues to move left.
  4. Gua
    Apr 6, 2014
    It's not perfect and pretty hardcore. But I love graphics in it. I love open world exploration and atmoshere in it. In Miasmata I really feel that I'm in woods. Probably someday I will finish it once more.
  5. Dec 31, 2012
    The game itself is easy to describe in a way. There is an island and you are on it. You have a disease from which you will die if you do not cure it. To cure it you must explore the island, collect various plants, research them, and combine them to create the antidote. You will be helped along you way by scraps of maps and research notes left behind by the team of, now mysteriouslyThe game itself is easy to describe in a way. There is an island and you are on it. You have a disease from which you will die if you do not cure it. To cure it you must explore the island, collect various plants, research them, and combine them to create the antidote. You will be helped along you way by scraps of maps and research notes left behind by the team of, now mysteriously disappeared, scientists who went before you, and you will be hindered by your overall lack of health, physical stamina, and the creature hunting you. It's open world. Do you want to follow the barely discernible path? Or do you want to turn around and just wander into the woods and hope for the best? Should you do it during the day? During the night? Your choice.

However, the experience is so unique it is hard to describe. One reviewer called it a cross between Far Cry 3, without guns, and Dear Esther, without the locked-into-story-mode. I suppose that may be accurate. Perhaps because the experience is so unique this game cannot be recommended to everyone, but for it's price I think that anyone who has any desire to play games beyond adrenaline pumping shooters (not that I don't like those games too) should at least try this game. Outside of being a niche market, the other minuses are fairly obvious - there are a host of minor technical glitches - and a few major ones if you don't have a high end PC and graphics card. Outside of technical glitches there are some odd graphical glitches which others have noted (pop in items, distant textures look tile like, and up close many the detail is not that great. This is the only reason I did not give this game a ten. However, when you keep in mind that this was a game, and a graphics engine, made from scratch by two people - it is an amazing feat and didn't detract from the overall game. And the game is still generally pretty. Not always, but has a whole this is one of the prettiest games I've played in recent years. Game play itself will likely be different from what you're used to. Having completed it and watched a few playthrough videos I can say with confidence that if you play this game like you play a normal FPS (or any game remotely similar to one) you will likely have a negative experience. The game rewards slow and patient progress. Because there is no HUD or way of pinpointing yourself on the map getting lost in a very large island is guaranteed. Navigation requires taking the time to continually orient yourself, use the in game compass and mapping process, and in generally remember you're not Rambo. But all that is actually what makes the game completely unique and memorable. To sum it up - this is a game you should try because if you're like me (and many others) you may find in it one of the most interesting and unique games of the year and finish wanting more.

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.