Miasmata PC

• Publisher: IonFX
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
7.7

1. Mar 31, 2013
    It's fairly hard to rate this game on a 1 to 10 scale, as there are many things that it does both right and wrong. The gameplay itself is very innovative, with nothing quite like it in any other game that I've ever played. The atmosphere created by the game is fantastic, creating a peaceful feeling with an undertone of uncertainty. The music and ambient noises also help the atmosphere in aIt's fairly hard to rate this game on a 1 to 10 scale, as there are many things that it does both right and wrong. The gameplay itself is very innovative, with nothing quite like it in any other game that I've ever played. The atmosphere created by the game is fantastic, creating a peaceful feeling with an undertone of uncertainty. The music and ambient noises also help the atmosphere in a whole. Overall, I love the gameplay, graphics (for the most part), and the audio of the game. However, the game does have its fair share of bugs and issues. For example, there are quite a few of graphical issues that can take away from the immersion of the game, like light reflecting on the ground in linear patterns, or blood looking like large lumps. Also, when the game first loads up, the game runs like gravel in a blender for about 15-20 minutes (or maybe that's just my bad computer). Overall, I absolutely love this game, but it still somewhat feels as though it's in beta. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2013
    A fascinating survival/exploration game made by only 2 ppl. Very beautiful graphics with a lot of love put into it.
    You are playing a scientist (first person view) who suffers from the plague and is looking for a cure on an empty island. Well empty except of some sort of beast that hunts you.
    Most of the time you are exploring the island, search for the right formula for your medicine, collect flowers and do some research on the,
    Every now and then you will encounter the beast, you can't fight it you can only run or hide which makes a great atmosphere. A bit similar to Amnesia but not that stressful
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Really great game. Good atmosphere. Good ideas.

BUT sometimes this game feels like a late beta. There are many things missing and a few really annoying bugs. This game needs still a lot of work to be the game it wants to be. But i will walk along and play this game. (Things that this game lacks: - You have thirst, but no hunger. - You can find many flowers, but the creatures around
    Really great game. Good atmosphere. Good ideas.

This game needs still a lot of work to be the game it wants to be.
    But i will walk along and play this game.
    (Things that this game lacks:
    - You have thirst, but no hunger.
    - You can find many flowers, but the creatures around you are just objects, running away from you. (Mental Stimulant should allow you to crouch to a creature, without getting noticed, but even squirrels run away from you.)
    - The movement needs a bit work (The movement in this game is unique and a really REALLY pro on this game.)
    - The out fading textures and stuff aren't well executed. (Sometimes it ruins the feeling of the game...)
    - Some logic failures should be also fixed. (Drowning because you swim 2 meter in a knee deep source of water? Btw yes you can drink this water)
    - If you recreate things like Basic Medicine, it always tries to tell you, that you created Basic Medicine... (Phay: "There is a chance of 90%, that you just created Basic Medicine, Master" Me: "GO BACK IN YOUR SWORD! It's the f***** 100 time i created this medicine! AHHHHH")
    - The triangulation in this game and the map function, are buggy from time to time, just minor bugs. (But you don't need 3 hours to triangulate your position....)
    And i could go even more in depth on this game... but i gonna let it go for now.

I really like this game, thats why i take the time to write so much about this game.

PS.: To the developers: Please keep up your good work on this game. I'm looking forward to see one of the best games i ever played, but it not reached this moment, where i could say: "This game is amazing. BUY IT!", but if you keep up your work, i might gonna say it some day.
  4. Apr 4, 2013
    It is truly a wonderful game, it has given me the best and most satisfying gaming experience in recent months.

The pace is slow (although it can change in a heartbeat), the graphics are average, the setting is beautiful. Sounds are good, the scarce music is amazing. What carries this game on its shoulder is the truly unique atmosphere. This one is about survival and exploration. You

This one is about survival and exploration. You have to explore the wilderness in order to find what you need to progress (herbs to make medicine of), yet as you wander further and further from your sanctuary, you are getting uneasy as the idyll can turn into a wild chase in a second.

What I particularly liked about the game is that it rewards you if you play it as it was meant to be. I mean, if you explore the island with care, think ahead, manage your time and pick the best approach the most important herbs tend to be in the open where you are at a disadvantage with a pre-planned escape route, the game is quite easy. It gets easier as you accommodate yourself to the unique orientation-navigation scheme, which is very rewarding, because you seem to get better through your own progress, rather than power-ups or weapons showered at you.

There are a few negatives separating this from perfection. The latest patch brought dramatic improvement to frame-rate, so technical issues mentioned by others were not one of them for me. The dynamics of the Creature can sometimes be predicted and exploited, sometimes its randomness defeats the purpose. Many choices seem arbitrary in the game (2 pills per outing?) and there are many ways it could be improved (eating, more enemies).

Overall, I really recommend this game. It is fresh, original, well-made and, above all, gripping.
  5. Jul 14, 2013
    Interesting concept, good graphics, but aside from that I have to agree with some other people here when they say it feels unfinished. like the knives/axes which do nothing, the food, which does nothing, then you have water everywhere but if you so much as step in a puddle you start to drown, and develop a fever, or if you slip and fall even 20 seconds after taking 'medicine' you will getInteresting concept, good graphics, but aside from that I have to agree with some other people here when they say it feels unfinished. like the knives/axes which do nothing, the food, which does nothing, then you have water everywhere but if you so much as step in a puddle you start to drown, and develop a fever, or if you slip and fall even 20 seconds after taking 'medicine' you will get a fever again immediately.
    so to sum it up, you spend hours upon hours,. just wandering around the woods, finding plants so when you slip and fall or step in a puddle you have medicine so you dont die, ohh and once in a while you run from a monster
  6. Feb 27, 2015
    Quite a unique game. People who are used to playing casual games (pretty much 99.9% of what's available on steam) will probably hate the gameplay of Miasmata, as it is indeed slow paced and requires patience.

Your goal in this game is to collect specific herbs around the map and form the 3 different parts of the cure to your illness. However, the more you play, the sicker and weaker your character gets, so you will always be on the look for other herbs that boost your stats temporarily. Needless to say, you are not familiar with your surroundings at the very beginning, so you need to slowly reveal the map on your own, by using the triangulation system. This is the most interesting part of the game, since there is absolutely no way to beat the game unless you pretty much reveal most of the map and collect most clues (there is quite a bit of strategy involved).

Your enemies in this game will be the illness, fatigue, cliffs (if you fall off of them) and the weird looking monster of the island that makes its appearance every now and then. It's definitely not a walk in the park.

The graphics are quite pretty, although they could be even better. Neat little soundtrack too. They did release an update that fixed most of the bugs, so I'd say it's quite playable now.

Overall, it's definitely a completely new experience and a rather enjoyable one. They could have done some things better, I agree, but judging by the fact that it was made by only 2 people, I'd say they did an amazing job. Hopefully there will be a sequel in the future, or at least something similar.
  7. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is very different then other games I have played. Normally I stay away from indie games due to the poor quality of most. Miasmata was a game that I bought because of Steam Greenlight. I was not disappointed. The game looks very good for being an indie game (puts some AAA titles to shame). The game-play is very interesting. The world is open and fun to explore. As light487 said,This game is very different then other games I have played. Normally I stay away from indie games due to the poor quality of most. Miasmata was a game that I bought because of Steam Greenlight. I was not disappointed. The game looks very good for being an indie game (puts some AAA titles to shame). The game-play is very interesting. The world is open and fun to explore. As light487 said, it is a bit low on the frame per second area, but I was able to fix this by lowering a few things, and many of the issues will be fixed via a patch most likely. I recommend this game to anyone looking for something different. PROS: Good graphics, large open-world, interesting map system. CONS: Some Frame per second issues, but those can be fixed if you lower a few settings (Sky quality and water)

OVERALL: For 15 dollars, this is a great game that shows a lot of promise. To anyone thinking of buying the game, just do it. You won't be disappointed. I know I was not! 9/10!
  8. Nov 29, 2012
    This game is so refreshingly original. I love the way it creates such a creepy atmosphere with so little. Just the small details like the message on the chalk board and all the journals really add up to create a great sense of foreboding. I constantly feel a little uneasy, and i like that. I also love the realistic approach the game takes to making you feel like you're really wanderingThis game is so refreshingly original. I love the way it creates such a creepy atmosphere with so little. Just the small details like the message on the chalk board and all the journals really add up to create a great sense of foreboding. I constantly feel a little uneasy, and i like that. I also love the realistic approach the game takes to making you feel like you're really wandering around, lost in the woods with nothing but a map and a compass. The player character has a real weight to him that's hard to describe, but it makes you really feel like you're controlling a human body, and that creates a lot of immersion. For instance, your character has momentum, and if you get going too fast down a steep hill you'll tumble and possibly injure yourself. You have to approach your exploring in a realistic manner. It makes you think things like, "if I climb to the top of that hill, how am I going to get down safely". Another thing I love is the mapping system. Simply put, it's brilliant, and I can't believe nobody's tried it before. Here's how it works--you get a map and a compass and then use cartography to triangulate your position and reveal where you are on the map. Once you've done that you can put other landmarks you see on your map which will help you navigate. It's incredibly easy to get lost in the dense forests and the only way to reorient yourself is to look at landmarks and your map. What's great about this is that when you actually manage to map your way to a far off objective you really feel like you accomplished something. When you finally see that campsite you've been searching the last half-hour for it's a great moment.

There's also a great research aspect where by collecting plants and researching them you can create medicines and tonics. This ties into the main goal of the game which is to find a cure for the plague the player has, but you can also make other things, like a potion that will allow you to constantly see where you are on the map. The only way to find the recipes for these is through experimentation. This gives the research that you're doing to find the cure an added bit of fun.

I don't want to say too much, but there's a tantalizing plot that you slowly piece together through journals and other things that makes you start to realize things aren't exactly the way they seemed at first. I have yet to finish the game, but I have a have a hunch the ending is going to be very interesting. That's all I can say except that from what I've seen so far I'm very excited to find out how this all shakes out.

This is one the most unique titles I've seen in years. It reminds me of the old days when fresh ideas weren't such a rare commodity in the gaming world like they are today. It's probably not for everyone, but that's good. If you watch some let's plays on youtube you'll know whether or not this is your type of game. For me, it's a real gem, and if it looks interesting to you in the slightest bit, I implore you to give it a shot. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
  9. Dec 6, 2012
    The more I play this game, the more I want to play. If you enjoy exploring wilderness (in real life) then Miasmata will definitely pique your interest - it is literally a bush walking simulator (with a few surprises). The developers are still working on ironing out a few issues (such as FOV) but I believe Miasmata will define a new genre in gaming. It's all about atmosphere. It willThe more I play this game, the more I want to play. If you enjoy exploring wilderness (in real life) then Miasmata will definitely pique your interest - it is literally a bush walking simulator (with a few surprises). The developers are still working on ironing out a few issues (such as FOV) but I believe Miasmata will define a new genre in gaming. It's all about atmosphere. It will not appeal to everyone - if you need constant action, then you will probably not enjoy this game. I want to give it a 10, but taking 1 off as it still needs some polish. Expand
  10. Nov 29, 2012
    I am enjoying it so far. The game is very attractive with the one exception of the water pouring out of glass. Full mobility across the environment. I was very interested by the prospect of an exploration game and I was not let down. The environment is interesting and well varied. It is also quite big, I haven't managed to make it all the way around the island yet.
  11. Nov 29, 2012
    Miasmata is an original, hardcore, and ambitious adventure game. It's island environment is bursting with realism and atmosphere, although I've had a couple performance hiccups on my 570. The chunk I've played has me wondering who the island's previous inhabitants are and what they were doing, not to mention why there is a creature lurking around every corner. The cartography system isMiasmata is an original, hardcore, and ambitious adventure game. It's island environment is bursting with realism and atmosphere, although I've had a couple performance hiccups on my 570. The chunk I've played has me wondering who the island's previous inhabitants are and what they were doing, not to mention why there is a creature lurking around every corner. The cartography system is ingenious, and has me going insane (in a positive way) when I'm lost. Exploration can be your best friend or worst enemy. Expand
  12. Dec 1, 2012
    I have played this game for 6 hours. It's very unusual game. I was very surprised that after playing the first 10 minutes in the game, I found myself totally lost deep in the forest at night, and have to start new game. (And I'm hardcore gamer)
    The game-play is pretty simple, and doesn't include lot's of possibilities but never the less, the game is interesting to play. I liked atmosphere of the game: weather changes, sounds of terrain under you feet, day / night cycle, how you character slice from slopes - all this helps you immerse into game world.
  13. Dec 2, 2012
    Graphics:
    To start with, you should always keep in mind, that miasmata is an indie game, which was developed by only two (!) guys. And for an indie game it really looks awesome. Of course, many textures are not too detailed, and the animations are long not perfect, but it looks far better than other Indie games like minecraft or slender for example. Story:
    You are the scientist Robert
    Graphics:
    You are the scientist Robert Hughes and are infected with a deadly plague, which will soon kill you. You are stranded on an island called Eden and you are searching for a cure to safe your life. But unfortunately your colleagues, which were living on the island, searching for a cure, have disappeared. Now you have to survive and look for the cure yourself. But you are not alone on the island. Theres a creature out there chasing you and you don't know how to fight it...
    All in all the story is not too good, but for an indie game it is ok. And if you explore enough, you can find notes about your colleagues and their backstory, which gives the game an interesting touch. Of course the whole story is not stage-managed in any way and I missed scripted events or cutszenes. But that is just a minor issue.
    Gameplay:
    Miasmata has an excellent and very innovative gameplay. It features very new and fresh elements like cartographing or researching plants. In addition, the character has some kind of momentum. That means, if you run down a hill, you start to struggle and fall down, which gives you a nice panic feeling, if you are chased by the beast. And this momentum works perfectly. I did not have any bugs or illogically moments yet. Miasmata also features an interesting beast AI and many strategies to survive a meeting with the beast, but it would ruin the game if I would tell you about them. It makes a lot of fun to try different strategies against the beast and you get a great rewarding feeling if you are successful.So to come to an end: Miasmata features a new and interesting gameplay focused on exploring and trying out things

Conclusion:
    In my opinion, Miasmata is a must-buy for every survival action fan. It has great graphics, superb gameplay and a not too bad story. But I heard, that many people had proplems running the game properly. I did not have any problems running the game, so I did not include them in my review. And as far as I know, the developers are working hard on a solution for these problems.
  14. Dec 4, 2012
    In short, the game is very unique, does many things well, but has some minor issues. Normally I'd say the game is a 8 but because I love games who dare to do new things I'll give it a 9.

Since most people will wonder about the gameplay: The main gameplay consists of traveling the island, avoiding the creature, picking up and examining plants, and add to your map. Especially the mapping system is interesting, since you have to build parts of the map yourself by triangulating your position as well as other positions to reveal new parts. You also only know your own position by triangulation or if you are near a known spot. This way, it adds much to the survival aspect of the game.
  15. Dec 4, 2012
    I am really enjoying this game so far. The varied environment looks and feels amazing, and there's a lot of explorations and secrets waiting to be revealed. This game is very different to other games that i played. If you are a type, who likes action/adventure indie-games, this is perfect for you!
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    There aren't too many games in the world which drop you into its immersive world and lets you figure things out on your own, where you can choose to go about things your way or take simple tutorials to get you set on the right track. Miasmata is a exceptionally original game about survival and a mystery on an uncharted island in a race against time and a terrifying invulnerable beast. I'veThere aren't too many games in the world which drop you into its immersive world and lets you figure things out on your own, where you can choose to go about things your way or take simple tutorials to get you set on the right track. Miasmata is a exceptionally original game about survival and a mystery on an uncharted island in a race against time and a terrifying invulnerable beast. I've spent about 14 hours of this game and I have to say, this is really how a game is made. Expand
  17. Dec 3, 2012
    Miasmata's a game about survival and exploration. Having been built fresh it's a different play feel than most, if not all other games. Movement is more realistic, in that you lose traction on slopes, pick up speed going down hill, and can't turn too quickly if you're running fast. It takes a while to get used to it, but it's a great add.

The graphics are on the upper scale of games,

The graphics are on the upper scale of games, which is an impressive feat considering where it came from.

As for the game itself, if you enjoy exploration, discovery, and (extremely) dangerous adventure, this is a must-buy. An absolutely open world coupled with the ever-present fear of the Creature makes this one of the best games I've played all year.

It's not a short game, either. I've played 10 hours and still not finished. I've probably got another 5 hours to go, so Miasmata is easily worth the $15.
  18. Dec 4, 2012
    This game stands out in three aspects: freedom, difficulty and originality. Precisely the aspects that have lost 90 % of current games. Sufficient reason to buy it.
  19. Feb 4, 2013
    I loved the experience of exploring this landscape! They really captured the feeling of running down a hill, on the edge of control, and that's what makes exploring this world, especially when running, so fun. What keeps it fun is the scale of the environment: the ecology of the island is quite varied, depending on where you are. You're really rewarded for striking out in your ownI loved the experience of exploring this landscape! They really captured the feeling of running down a hill, on the edge of control, and that's what makes exploring this world, especially when running, so fun. What keeps it fun is the scale of the environment: the ecology of the island is quite varied, depending on where you are. You're really rewarded for striking out in your own direction and exploring, and the fact that you have to manually fill in your map adds to this, making you feel like you really know the land. And getting to know the land is, of course, really helpful when you're trying to get about, especially at speed. This game may not be for the impatient, or those who need their hand held and told where to go and what to do all the time, or who like to feel in control over everything, but if it was, it wouldn't be so rewarding for the rest of us. Expand
  20. Dec 8, 2012
    Incredibly good survival game. Beautiful scenery but enough action (or worry) to keep you on your feet. Have played for multiple hours.

My only real disappointment was there there presently is no hunger factor, however this is something the designers are apparently working on.
  21. Jan 28, 2013
    3/10 for effort. This game has a good premise and a really interesting environment. I don't really consider it to be a "game" though certainly not a "survival game". It's more of a short walk through someones landscape painting. A few things that didn't really make sense to me and made the game feel unfinished. Why give me a knife and have animals running around and then not allow me to3/10 for effort. This game has a good premise and a really interesting environment. I don't really consider it to be a "game" though certainly not a "survival game". It's more of a short walk through someones landscape painting. A few things that didn't really make sense to me and made the game feel unfinished. Why give me a knife and have animals running around and then not allow me to kill them for food? To survive in this all you do it seems is drink water and take medicine to avoid your growing fever. You arn't require to hunt and eat at all despite the presence of all these slow moving animals and insects. The animals and insects play no part in your research either so it's plant collection only. Very strange. Almost has a feeling of they wanted to let you do all that but didn't have time to finish the game. For that reason I had to drop the rating because you shouldn't release something this unfinished for money. Needs way more depth to be considered a "game" in my opinion. Avoiding "The Creature" by simply getting out of it's line of sight then stumbling (literally stumbling) from point A to point B while collecting plants simply doesn't cut it in my book. I'm disappointed because I wanted to love it and think it could have been so much more had it been finished. Expand
  22. Dec 29, 2012
    For a two man indie game this game is quite impressive. As some people have said, the graphics aren't the best. But the graphics aren't that important really. There's no huge polygon counts or extremely high resolution textures. But the game makes up for this with a really good atmosphere. It has very impressive lighting and has really good scenery and land details. There's plants andFor a two man indie game this game is quite impressive. As some people have said, the graphics aren't the best. But the graphics aren't that important really. There's no huge polygon counts or extremely high resolution textures. But the game makes up for this with a really good atmosphere. It has very impressive lighting and has really good scenery and land details. There's plants and grass almost everywhere for example, something that you almost never see in realistic amounts in games. The game play itself is the main feature of the game. Those that say it's a bush walking simulator are missing the entire point of the game. You play the role of a man called Richard, a scientist who was researching the cure for a plague. Richard catches said plague and comes to the game's island where a lot of researchers were working on curing it. He arrives to find the scientists missing or dead. And there's a lot of references to some creature stalking everyone. Your role in the game is to find the cure which involves exploring the island and gathering ingredients, all while evading the mysterious creature. Exploring the island by itself is a challenging hazard. With the way the mapping system works (which is easily my favorite part of the game) it's incredibly easy to get lost if you're not paying attention. In addition to that, in your weakened state it's easy to stumble and fall (which can result in you taking damage and sliding down hillsides) and you can't swim very far because you wear out quickly (which can be somewhat helped later on in the game). Then there's the creature. It has a random chance of appearing in most places plus there's certain times it's guaranteed to appear. You're too weak to harm it and it's faster than you. It has really well written intelligent AI that dynamically reacts to the player's actions (although there's an occasional bug where the creature can get stuck running around in circles although that's not too terribly common and is a bug the developers are addressing), trying to cut off escape. Evading and escaping it is somewhat challenging (very challenging until you learn how to deal with it) and extremely exciting.

Graphically, the real impressive parts are the lighting system (which is extremely impressive and realistic) which can stand on even footing with most professionally done development engines and the careful attention to details such as having grass and plants everywhere. For having only two people making the entire game, it's an incredible accomplishment. It's more impressive than many games developed by dozens of people.

The game isn't for everyone, just like as any other game. But for those who enjoy exploring beautiful landscapes, solving mysteries, and trying to survive a challenge, this game is one of the best you'll find. Even with the occasional bug and performance issue.
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    While this is not the perfect survival game I expected at first, this is a beautiful adventure that reminds me on a couple of older games like myst and even morrowind. The engine is not very efficient, but I can play it on my older budget machine on a lower resolution. I give this game 10 points for being innovative and courageous in what it does. In a time where I got bored by the 1000stWhile this is not the perfect survival game I expected at first, this is a beautiful adventure that reminds me on a couple of older games like myst and even morrowind. The engine is not very efficient, but I can play it on my older budget machine on a lower resolution. I give this game 10 points for being innovative and courageous in what it does. In a time where I got bored by the 1000st boring CoD / MoH like shooter (which happen to still ride on the 12 year old Counter Strike Wave) I can't tell you how enormously pleased I'm by the release of titles like miasmata. Expand
  24. Mar 31, 2013
    Just finished Miasmata. It's a brilliant game, totally immersive, with beautiful scenery/artwork and an intriguing (if short) plot.

The downside is, you need a REALLY good machine in order to play it. Otherwise I have heard a number of people say that it is 'choppy and buggy'-although I must admit I had no such problems). Also PLEASE make sure to read the instruction manual before you start playing-I didn't and I had several frustrating hours trying to figure out why I couldn't save or how the hell the controls worked (this was very frustrating but worked itself out once I had customised them).

On the plus side though, the atmosphere is fantastic and I found my heart thumping to the point of almost jumping our of my seat a number of times. The story unfolds slowly which keeps you captivated and focused. The mapping/navigation/triangulation system is a bit of a nightmare at first but I found it quite fun once I figured it out.

Overall I would highly recommend Miasmata. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would play all over again!
  25. Sep 6, 2013
    I just finished it yesterday. The latest version of the game is stable and runs relatively well. It crashed only once in 14 hours of gameplay time.

The production value is kinda low. (Which is expected with a full 3d open world made by 2 people) The environment is beautiful, even photorealistic at times, but the human models are really hideous. The UI is not the most comfortable

The UI is not the most comfortable ever, but it does the job. A little more tinkering and polishing would have helped. Especially with cartography as PIXEL HUNTING for distant objects masked by moving vegetation is not fun.

What I liked the best is that despite it's hardcore survival elements it still manages to remain a modern game. There are no hundreds of saveslots which you have to reload if you screw up. Your latest save counts all the time.

You can always find a camp where you can sleep off your low health and find water. But it's still a very special experience, a really immersive game despite it's videogame-magic like elements. You have to pay attention how you walk, what time it is, dehydration, etc. This is a game where the environment is your biggest enemy, even when the creature finds you'll still struggle to overcome the hostility of the environment, not the animal's. Danger lies in totally different things that you got used to in other games.

Miasmata became one of my favourite indie games.
  26. Jan 5, 2013
    The game is pretty and mysterious, and I like that. But the recommended hardware on Steam needs to be reevaluated, my computer is a lot better than what they listed but I still got a kinda choppy fps. It's not a huge deal though. The main reason I give it a 7 is that the game is incredibly slow and easily becomes boring. Other than that, it's fun to look at and explore around the island.
  27. Jan 31, 2013
    Miasmata achieves a peculiar kind of in-game immersion which I could only compare to Amnesia: the dark descent. You are alone, completely vulnerable (sick, thirsty) in a hostile yet truly beautiful environment and there is an omnipresent threat you can only hide from. This makes the perfect sauce for paranoia; you keep your ears open for any uncommon sound, your eyes scrutinizing everyMiasmata achieves a peculiar kind of in-game immersion which I could only compare to Amnesia: the dark descent. You are alone, completely vulnerable (sick, thirsty) in a hostile yet truly beautiful environment and there is an omnipresent threat you can only hide from. This makes the perfect sauce for paranoia; you keep your ears open for any uncommon sound, your eyes scrutinizing every leaf in the jungle and the immersion begins. The premise of the game is quite simple: you are seeking the cure from a plague you'll soon die from on an island where few scientists might have discovered a remedy. You'll have to explore the island to discover what is that cure and how to fabricate it. What really adds to the immersion, aside from your ever constant vulnerability, is the realistic perspective of this game. Your character is sick and dying so you must keep him properly hydrated otherwise he'll become increasingly weak, his vision blurs, etc.; he has a body and hence inertia so you must take care of every movements so that he won't trip on a rock and split his head down a cliff; the environment is huge and getting lost is a true and fearsome possibility - especially if the sun is coming down and you have no light source to guide your steps (chances are you'll split your head on something or worse). I can't say it enough: all those details concur to provide a deeply engaging experience once you let the game get to you.

Technically, the graphics are astonishing and even more so if you consider that this is an indie production. At places, there are some texture and tiling problems but it is easily forgiven by overall beauty of the landscapes (I have played it at max settings though). The following video should give you a good idea of how good the game can look: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xbdpCWyLFw The sound effects and music are decent but far from being as refined or detailed as what you get with Amnesia. As for the controls, a lot of people, complained of character's tendency to slip on ridiculously small slopes so that overall, the movement is unbearable but in my sense, this is simply an exaggeration. Most of the slopes a normal human being would handle are very well handled by your character and the better he physically gets, the less he is likely to slip; to the contrary, I found that this challenge really added to the experience.

In all, I really recommend to give it a try. Especially if you are fond of games such as Amnesia, Myst or Skyrim (for the exploring part that is).
  28. May 31, 2013
    It's an indie game so if you are looking for just shine and polish then this is not for you. If you are looking for atmosphere, genuine open world game-play, exploration where it is possible to get lost, more realistic movement where you should be wary of steep slopes, and moments that will make your heart pound then this is it.

The UI is excellent with little clutter on the screen and

The UI is excellent with little clutter on the screen and if you want to look at your map or take a compass bearing you have to stop and look down. You see what is in your inventory by looking at what is in your hand for the most part. There is a journal to record your discoveries so you can reference what you found. And you must draw the map yourself by triangulating key markers on the landscape rather than have it auto-fill as you move around.

The best game of 2012 for me.
  29. Dec 10, 2012
    To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing,To be honest, I did not expect much from this but I actually got more then I expected. For something that was made by only two people it is a mile-stone in achievements as graphics go, as it is a completely new engine. The idea is original and the story is simple. Sadly however, I cannot stress enough at how slow you progress throughout the game because you are only doing one thing, collect plants. As another person said, it IS literary a bush walking simulator. However it does have it's shining points. I applaud the graphics for two people and design. A lot of the scenery is beautiful and it does get you thinking about the islands previous inhabitants. If you do not mind the snail like pace progression and the repetitiveness of it and know that all you really do is just walk and walk and walk through an island, then you should pick it up. A major downfall is the price and the system requirements. Expand
  30. Feb 2, 2014
    I was a sucker and I ended up buying this game. The graphics are from 10 years ago. the gameplay is bad as well.. Avoid this so called game! good thing I bought it at a huge discount!

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.