• Publisher: IonFX
  • Release Date: Nov 28, 2012
8.1

1. Dec 1, 2012
    Let's see, where to start. Well, first off I have no idea why some people say this is a very good looking game. The textures are awful, below even todays poor standards. The animations in general are poorly done, less than some mods. Items appear from thin air a few meters in front of you, as do textures. The FOV seems really narrow, and is uncomfy to move around with.
    Now, I'm not one of
    these people who thinks that graphics make a game, but I do think bad graphics can damage a game, especially when it seems to be something people are saying is one of the high points of your game.
    But, graphics aside, how does the game actually play. Well poorly I'm afraid to say. The concept is very good, similar to the old " Robinson's Requiem". It's like a survival exploration game, with your vulnerable character trapped on a deserted island, looking for a cure to his illness whilst being hunted by a large predator. That sounds excellent, but the execution is poor. Movement seems very clunky and unreal, I think in part to the Fov. Your character stumbles when climbing steep hills, balances on sudden hight changes and actually has momentum when he moves. This should be good, but it just feels so clunky, with you character shuffling along and makes going even short distances an annoying task. You have to find a cure for your illness by combing the island for plants, then research their properties and then using them to make cures and other such items. Again, this sounds good but it is poorly executed.You walk round, see a bright plant and try to get into the right position to "use" it, then you trek back to a research station, where it's just a case of clicking use another few times. What should be an excellent survival aspect ends up feeling like a boring fetch quest repeated ad nauseum.
    The sound is so generic I can't really be bothered to talk much about it. The only thing there is to say is that the music is mostly non existent, and you will grow tired of footsteps and heavy breathing very quickly.
    You may have noticed I've not named the character you play as, but that's not because he isn't named, it's that the story and setup is so bland I instantly forgot.. You are just a generic set of puppet arms wandering around a poorly textured island reading tutorials scientists left for you. I have no real feeling for anything either way. I don't feel a need to explore or discover anything about the island, I'm just sent off to get plants because I have the plague, apparently.

In the end, we have a game with a very interesting, if not original, concept for an adventure game, but it is so poorly done that I really can't recommend it to anyone. I wish i could say it will get better, but if this is a state they decide to release it in I don't think there is much hope for it in the future.
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    3/10 for effort. This game has a good premise and a really interesting environment. I don't really consider it to be a "game" though certainly not a "survival game". It's more of a short walk through someones landscape painting. A few things that didn't really make sense to me and made the game feel unfinished. Why give me a knife and have animals running around and then not allow me to kill them for food? To survive in this all you do it seems is drink water and take medicine to avoid your growing fever. You arn't require to hunt and eat at all despite the presence of all these slow moving animals and insects. The animals and insects play no part in your research either so it's plant collection only. Very strange. Almost has a feeling of they wanted to let you do all that but didn't have time to finish the game. For that reason I had to drop the rating because you shouldn't release something this unfinished for money. Needs way more depth to be considered a "game" in my opinion. Avoiding "The Creature" by simply getting out of it's line of sight then stumbling (literally stumbling) from point A to point B while collecting plants simply doesn't cut it in my book. I'm disappointed because I wanted to love it and think it could have been so much more had it been finished. Expand
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I shall preface this by saying two things: One, I'm running a high-end computer that exceeds every minimum requirement by an insane margin, and Two, I only played for maybe 10 minutes before I killed myself out of boredom and exited the game to review.

It takes a certain type of painful game play and graphic engine to make me quit before I get a good feel for the game. The graphics were terrible even at maximum settings, with a choppy frame rate and texture 'tearing'. The learning curve was painful because as most indie games do, they decided on the 'teach the gamer how to play with giant blocks of text instead of showing the gamer how to play via events'. Everything you interact with is so bright and annoyingly unique that it's obvious you should go check it out (such as BRIGHT PINK FLOWERS). There was no music, creepy or otherwise, to punctuate the only interesting bit of the game that I experienced (walking into a hut to find a trail of 'blood' and a body stabbed with a knife.)

Now, as I've said, this was the highlight of the game for me. A dead person. Surely this will start a cut scene, or a quest, or at least queue some creepy music to set me on edge. Nope, instead I follow a laughable representation of blood (3D globs that were clearly only half-ass rendered) to a body of some nameless man with a knife in his back. Surely at least, I can take this knife for self-defense against what is clearly a maniac loose on this island. No, you can not interact with this corpse at all.

If you want a concise feel for what the game is like, imagine playing Slender in the daylight without a fence. The best part of this game for me was hearing the somewhat realistic sounds of my bland, 2 dimensional character drown himself to death after catching a fever within three minutes of waking up.
  4. Dec 11, 2012
    Pretty weak game, over all. I'm a pretty big fan of survival adventure games and this one definitely falls far below both expectations and standards. The graphics are abysmal, as are the textures. You can make out the tiles in the ground, and squirrels look like a cluster of polygons. The gameplay is tedious, where most of your time is going to be spent walking around or reading notes/books, which wouldn't be so bad if the pacing weren't so slow and dragged on. There is no real atmosphere or music to speak of, so the game depends purely on it's environment and a powerful imagination to draw you in. Is it impressive that two people made this game? Not...Really. It's more like it's impressive two people pushed out a game, but this game in particular really has nothing going for it. With the sudden surge of adventure games coming out of steam these last few months, I can't think of a reason why you'd pick this one up. Unless you're just hurting that badly for a "survival" adventure fix. The game gets a 3, 2 points for each person that worked on the game, and 1 out of generosity. I may have given it a 4 or even a 5, if it had run even remotely well on my machine. I can run Skyrim on max graphics with 20+ texture mods, at 50+ fps, but I can't run this Miasmata higher than 15, so you could probably chalk up "poor optimization" as another flaw. Collapse
  5. Nov 30, 2012
    I bought Miasmata on steam yesterday, after verifying that my computer could run the game (My system well exceeded the recommended specs). I ran the game and found that even on the lowest setting the game ran at 1-3 fps. I will re-write this review once the game is actually playable. For the moment, steer clear of Miasmata, unless you possess a super computer.
  6. Jul 14, 2013
    Interesting concept, good graphics, but aside from that I have to agree with some other people here when they say it feels unfinished. like the knives/axes which do nothing, the food, which does nothing, then you have water everywhere but if you so much as step in a puddle you start to drown, and develop a fever, or if you slip and fall even 20 seconds after taking 'medicine' you will get a fever again immediately.
    so to sum it up, you spend hours upon hours,. just wandering around the woods, finding plants so when you slip and fall or step in a puddle you have medicine so you dont die, ohh and once in a while you run from a monster
  7. Feb 2, 2014
    I was a sucker and I ended up buying this game. The graphics are from 10 years ago. the gameplay is bad as well.. Avoid this so called game! good thing I bought it at a huge discount!
  8. Nov 29, 2012
    Whoah the system requirements are completely UNDER what is actually required to play this even at the lowest settings. There's also no proper community or forums.. there's gotta be some patching in store for this.. really, really slow framerates on a computer that can run majority of current games at ultra settings. Good concept, really interested to play.. but it's just SOOOO slow. Not sure where they pulled their system requirements from but they completely and utterly fictitious in my opinion. There's no way you're going to run this beyond 1 or 2 fps with even recommended requirements at the highest settings.. and even if you use a computer with twice (atleast) the power of the recommended, you'll be lucky to get 10fps. Again, there is no formal forums or proper community for this game, so you can forget about support or anything like that..

Forget this game for now.. add it to your watchlist.. but wait till it is finished.. because this needs SERIOUS performance efficiencies.
  9. Dec 29, 2013
    Played this game for about 15 minutes and seriously asked myself is this it? If I want to go for a nice bush walk I'd rather go on a hike irl. Its like taking the old Stranded game redoing the graphics then taking all the gameplay elements out of it.
    I also cant stand games that make all the challenge based around an awkward interface. If you could interact with more ie killing birds for
    food and fishing, it would make this game playable at the moment its truly sub par.
    Get Dont Starve instead for a good fun survival or if you need the first person element get Sir You Are Being Hunted(not perfect but the devs are still updating it and its a massive improvement on this.) Also Farcry for fans of lovely beach paradises.
  10. Dec 11, 2012

1. Mar 17, 2013
    Miasmata is definitely a unique experience, and as the work of two people it’s actually a hell of an achievement. It’s a game with ambition, which should be rewarded even if it occasionally falls short of the goals it set for itself.
  2. Feb 25, 2013
    A unique and engaging game of exploration, that manages to be challenging without any real combat or puzzles. It can also be quite tense and scary, as you're being stalked by a lone, but very dangerous, predator.
  3. Feb 11, 2013
    Miasmata is a great survival horror, bold enough to drop the player in a peculiar and deep game experience, built around suspense and fear. The contrast between the bucolic atmosphere and the sensations of dismay is so peculiar that every fan of the genre should give it a shot.