7.4

1. Sep 7, 2012
    Minecraft deserves a 10 out of 10 because its essentially the first of its kind. No other game I have ever played is even remotely similar to Minecraft. The old style of graphics, huge worlds, infinite possibilities of creation, unique enemies that attack at night, farming, mining, swimming, exploring, setting up defenses, etc. This game is a big bundle of random fun. It's also anMinecraft deserves a 10 out of 10 because its essentially the first of its kind. No other game I have ever played is even remotely similar to Minecraft. The old style of graphics, huge worlds, infinite possibilities of creation, unique enemies that attack at night, farming, mining, swimming, exploring, setting up defenses, etc. This game is a big bundle of random fun. It's also an excellent babysitter. Seriously set a kid up in a Minecraft world they wont leave the computer. All jokes aside theres no other game that really intrudes on Minecraft's genre. If I were to define "Sandbox" I would say "Minecraft". On top of being fun in Vanilla this game is veryyyy easily modded. Technic pack is one of my favorites because I don't actually have to mess with Minecraft's files. It creates it's own directory. Although Technic does add a whole new meaning to the word "lost". Overall I've had a lot of fun with my blocky creations and because of an internet cap I can't play multiplayer. (I'm so jealous of unlimited internet... We can only get Verizon's 4g mifi where we live..) Anyways that's my review happy crafting :D! Expand
  2. Sep 28, 2012
    Minecraft is one of my favourite games, but recently it started getting old. If you get bored, play tekkit or if you have friends who play miecraft too, make a modded server. It´s much more fun with mods.
  3. Sep 29, 2012
    There is a very special feeling you get when first playing Minecraft. The simple sense of adventure and discovery is strong at your first stages. After knowing everything, you get interested in finding ores and resources, diamond especially. Then after having a nice amount of resources, you finally decide to use your imagination at it's near peak and build something creative, amazing andThere is a very special feeling you get when first playing Minecraft. The simple sense of adventure and discovery is strong at your first stages. After knowing everything, you get interested in finding ores and resources, diamond especially. Then after having a nice amount of resources, you finally decide to use your imagination at it's near peak and build something creative, amazing and colossal. If you stop playing Minecraft after this stage then your imagination has nothing to give to this massive world of blocks, filled with possibilities. (Plus there are mods to add to the experience). Expand
  4. Mar 26, 2013
    It's a wonderful sight to see another indie game shoot up to the top of the gaming industry, and Minecraft is no exception. This is a definite buy for any gamer, as it provides something unique to the open-world RPG/ adventure genre. The sky is the limit!

Off the mark, most people will know Minecraft for its unique graphical style. Blocks make up every object in this game, and the simple, yet brilliant art-style ties straight into the core gameplay. Running Minecraft is easy- the requirements are extremely low, and with a good gaming PC, I've run this game at well over two-hundred frames per second (that's fast). However: Minecraft is not brilliantly optimised due to its low budget, so expect some very major slowdown when you crank up the settings. 9/10

In the way of story- there is no definite experience. Your story will be personal to you alone, and nobody's adventures will be quite the same, although there isn't a way of tracking what you've done so far by means of recording gameplay, a feature which many people would enjoy. 9/10

The game has a very distinct sound design, which delivers around five or six memorable tracks that play at random intervals. An introduction of some new pieces would be nice to hear, though, as the repeating soundtrack can begin to go stale after a while. Sound effects are also good, but their repetitiveness sours the aural experience a fair amount. 7.5/10

But where Minecraft excels the most is in gameplay. When a player first starts their Survival Mode world, they'll have to chop down trees, craft a crafting table and quickly get to work crafting objects and tools to keep them alive, and safe from the evil enemy "mobs" such as exploding Creepers or bow-wielding Skeletons that attack at night. From here on in, the player is left to do basically anything they want, mining underground for better resources with crafted tools, farming plants and animals to eat and pet, and creating almost anything imaginable with blocks. Minecraft is a completely open world, there for players to explore and adore. 10/10

And if the stellar singleplayer wasn't enough, a multiplayer mode is also available too! This holds the most issues in the game, but will last you even more time. All the servers in Minecraft are private, meaning that you'll have to look up which games are free, type in the IP address of the server, and only then be able to play games. The process is frustrating, and so is making a server (which is free, but needs downloads and looking up to be able to make one), but it pays off when you finally get a game. There are varying player versus player and co-op gametypes that will keep you and your friends entertained together, and all can be found on the Internet. The addition of voice chat would be welcomed, and it isn't yet in the game as of the time this review was written, but a chat bar is sufficient enough. Overall, though, Minecraft is a stand-out multiplayer game. 8.5/10

Altogether, Minecraft is a brilliant must-buy for gamers of any age, and really brings something new to the table. Updates are common, and they give definite improvements every time, the art style is great, the gameplay is unique and the game can literally be played forever. Minecraft easily earns a 9/10.
  5. Jan 3, 2014
    Ahhh, Minecraft... you know... all those gamemodes, all those epic constructions, the amazing comunity out there. All that stuff is really awesome. And you can just play with one or two friends on a server made by YOU. Minecraft is an amazing game for 10 years old guys or even for 30 years old men (and woman). It's obviously worth the 19,90$. The only reason I give 9 as score for this gameAhhh, Minecraft... you know... all those gamemodes, all those epic constructions, the amazing comunity out there. All that stuff is really awesome. And you can just play with one or two friends on a server made by YOU. Minecraft is an amazing game for 10 years old guys or even for 30 years old men (and woman). It's obviously worth the 19,90$. The only reason I give 9 as score for this game is because of the development. The game has lots of bugs that the developers know about (their all around minecraft forums). And they just update the game when the discovered bugs reach a critical state. Expand
  6. Jul 20, 2013
    The game was so fun and exciting due to it's endless adventure and creativity.

The Survival Mode-was one of the most players play in minecraft because of the goals to achieve and learn some survival skills. The Creative mode-you can build what ever you like and share your creativity to the rest of the world. The Adventure mode-typically the adventure you will need a map to start
    The game was so fun and exciting due to it's endless adventure and creativity.

The Adventure mode-typically the adventure you will need a map to start the adventure.

The developers provide texture packs so users can customize the texture of the land of minecraft .You can also play online in this game with your friends and the players around the world with the amazing servers.The servers have their own commands and codes for their mini games and other stuffs that you didn't seen on single player.The game also have wild enemies that spawned at night and kill you and destroy your house.The game is almost complete it's update.
  7. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is amazing, with new updates every few months, that get rid of some old bugs. People complain about graphics, but there's more to enjoy, because you can do almost, or a lot of things that you normally wouldn't be able to do in any game you'd find.
  8. Nov 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While Minecraft is everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory. minecraft has 3 awesome versions: pocket edition,xbox edition and the best of all,minecraft pc. Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    The game is very fun to play and can become additive spending hours and hours playing it and it never gets boring, get a friend and start building your own world of blocks
  10. Jan 3, 2014
    This is an entertaining, very casual game. There are few limits on what you can do with this game and an Internet connection. Even without the on-line parts of the game, the game can keep you occupied for a long time. The controls are easy to learn, and the game is easy to understand. You are only limited by your imagination.
  11. Mar 29, 2014
    Minecraft is an amazing game. I remember hearing about it online and looking at what you can do in this game and when I finally got the game I was not disappointed a bit! I love the gameplay in this game both in survival and creative mode. I love survival because it gives me that feeling of exploration of going to build and craft things, fight monsters, go mining and when you complete hardMinecraft is an amazing game. I remember hearing about it online and looking at what you can do in this game and when I finally got the game I was not disappointed a bit! I love the gameplay in this game both in survival and creative mode. I love survival because it gives me that feeling of exploration of going to build and craft things, fight monsters, go mining and when you complete hard tasks it can feel very rewarding. I also love creative mode because it's the opportunity to go around a create things that are huge and beautiful with almost no limitations; some things in creative do take a long time to make but when I am done they are very rewarding as well. I also love the music in this game and some of the atmospheres; however I will warn you that there are some really creepy things in this game. Overall, Minecraft is a masterpiece! I really wish people wouldn't bash this game just because they may call it too "mainstream" or something like that. The game is great, It also great to come back to this game after not playing it for a while. Trust me, I started playing this game back in 2012 and I am still playing it a lot today in 2014. Expand
  12. Apr 6, 2014
    The ones who say the graphics are bad, well, its your own fault for buying it. Always look at reviews and videos first. The game is meant to be full of pixels like that, its how Mojang intended it to be.
    Anways, this game is great, hours of play. You can say its a sandbox game, but it is not a sandbox, its a toybox! Lots of fun with it!
  13. Apr 29, 2014
    Had this game since Alpha, and it truly is a masterpiece. I've sunk many hours into this game, as each time you play it, it's a different experience. The amount of things you can create and explore are uncountable. A true work of art. Simple yet efficient.
  14. Nov 21, 2011
    I dont know whats up with the people that is scoring this game 0 because of the graphics. AS far as i know the "my score" slider is to rate the game NOT THE GRAPHICS. Now, people writting about repetitive gameplay... how a sandbox game can be repetitive? only will be repetitive if you want! Why dont you go fishing? hunting? farming? this game isnt about breaking and putting blocks! I likeI dont know whats up with the people that is scoring this game 0 because of the graphics. AS far as i know the "my score" slider is to rate the game NOT THE GRAPHICS. Now, people writting about repetitive gameplay... how a sandbox game can be repetitive? only will be repetitive if you want! Why dont you go fishing? hunting? farming? this game isnt about breaking and putting blocks! I like this game, i play alot and sure, has lots of bugs, but they're working on it. 10/10 hatters gonna hate. Expand
  15. Apr 21, 2011
    The difference between this game and other sandbox games is that you have to work hard to find what your looking for. Sure, you could coat yourself in golden armor and wield a sword of diamond, but you will need to turn an area of land the size of Hawaii to find it all. Which sets it apart from other similar games, with the fact that, while your free to set your own goals in this game,The difference between this game and other sandbox games is that you have to work hard to find what your looking for. Sure, you could coat yourself in golden armor and wield a sword of diamond, but you will need to turn an area of land the size of Hawaii to find it all. Which sets it apart from other similar games, with the fact that, while your free to set your own goals in this game, like in all sandbox games, it isn't all given to you. You feel a great sense of accomplishment when you finish one of the goals you set for yourself. The system of achievements giving you a general idea of what you can do in this game. Let your imagination roam free, just make sure it's back by dark, always be back home by nightfall in Minecraft.

The largest complaint I hear about this game is that the graphic are poor, I could not disagree more. Only the cobblestone texture is poor. Nonetheless, a remedy exists for all graphic centric people, this is called "installing a texture pack". Texture packs are commonly found on the popular Minecraft forums, and there is one for all sorts of tastes, though a nice one to find out what you think looks good in Minecraft is the Painterly Pack (http://painterlypack.net/). The website allows you to customize the various textures in Minecraft, there are at least for different texture options for any given block or item in the game.

I highly recommend you buy this game, though don't be surprised if you fall prey to the "Minecrack" and stay up until 1 A.M. on your search for diamonds.
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    If you need linear gameplay, avoid this game.

If you need pseudo-realistic graphics, avoid this. If you need a plot driven game, avoid this. If you hate being told what to do, this is the game to end all. Don't like the world? make a new, completely random one. Don't like the textures? change them. Bored with mining? take all those blocks and build a ten story tall castle shaped like
    If you need linear gameplay, avoid this game.

If you need pseudo-realistic graphics, avoid this.

If you need a plot driven game, avoid this.

If you hate being told what to do, this is the game to end all. Don't like the world? make a new, completely random one. Don't like the textures? change them. Bored with mining? take all those blocks and build a ten story tall castle shaped like longcat. Bored with the gameplay? install one of the -thousands- of user created mods and play an entirely new game.
  17. Nov 18, 2011
    I found this game a year ago and I'm still playing it. I have my own server with 900 registered players. Playing this game is like playing with LEGO as a child and it's still great game. I hate idiots, who will never play it because it has 8-bit graphics.... MINECRAFT IS BEST GAME EVER!
  18. Nov 20, 2011
    This game is just amazing. It has already been played for a long time and is still fresh due to updates and the limitless creativity it offers. It's something that creative people should not pass! The game also has a great and large community. And, really, it doesn't matter how many times a creeper killed me or ruined my structures. I keep addicted to it. If I had something like a top 100This game is just amazing. It has already been played for a long time and is still fresh due to updates and the limitless creativity it offers. It's something that creative people should not pass! The game also has a great and large community. And, really, it doesn't matter how many times a creeper killed me or ruined my structures. I keep addicted to it. If I had something like a top 100 of games, Minecraft would be surely in the top 5, maybe after the epic Nintendo titles like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. Expand
  19. Nov 18, 2011
    Great game overall! Even though metacritic got the release date wrong(supposed to be dated to 11/18 for release date). But great game, with all the monster killing, building, sandbox design, can't wait for more updates to the game itself in the future!
  20. Nov 19, 2011
    One of the best games out there.You have a giant world in which you can do what ever you wish.You can either explore caves and strongholds,build giant sky scrapers,create big farms of sugar cane,or simply wander.
  21. Nov 23, 2011
    Minecraft is the most addicting game I've ever tried. I have been playing it since alpha, and i will continue to play for the next many years to come.
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    Yes, there are still bugs. Yes, the coding is messed up. But I give Minecraft a 10 out of 10 for it's replay value. I first played this game before the Halloween Update came out and I got hooked. I still play it every day. The reason people love this game is because they aren't rating the graphics, they are rating the fun, and that's how a game should be. Thank you Notch and the restYes, there are still bugs. Yes, the coding is messed up. But I give Minecraft a 10 out of 10 for it's replay value. I first played this game before the Halloween Update came out and I got hooked. I still play it every day. The reason people love this game is because they aren't rating the graphics, they are rating the fun, and that's how a game should be. Thank you Notch and the rest of the Mojang team for this masterpiece! Expand
  23. Nov 20, 2011
    This game was practically a dream for me. As a kid I loved building with Legos, made towns and loved using my imagination to add in stories for things. This is precisely what Minecraft lets you do better than any Lego game out there right now. When you start it can be a little overwhelming, and can seem a bit complicated, but you learn, you master your environment, and you build. InThis game was practically a dream for me. As a kid I loved building with Legos, made towns and loved using my imagination to add in stories for things. This is precisely what Minecraft lets you do better than any Lego game out there right now. When you start it can be a little overwhelming, and can seem a bit complicated, but you learn, you master your environment, and you build. In single player it can get a bit lonesome, but if you find a great group of people to play with online there will always be new things to explore, and occasionally surprises (good and bad) left for you to find at your houses. The charming looks, rather amazing landscapes you can find, and the expandability provided by a supportive fan-base will keep you entertained for a while assuming you don't need to see blood and gore every few minutes to keep your attention.

I would like to address some of the ridiculous low scores some users gave the game. Reading through some there appear to be 2 major complaints, one being entirely illegitimate to me. Graphics. This really boils down to an argument the art community had some time ago, something that impressionism annihilated. In order to look good things do not need to strive for photo-realism. If you keep your aesthetic consistent which Minecraft does very well, things will look great even when full of blocks. It all just adds to the core mechanic of the game, you are in a world of building blocks, go build!
    There is also the trend of those siting graphics for not liking the game actually admit to not trying it purely because of the looks.

The second major complaint is that after a while it gets boring. This can be true but is this not true of all games? For me I keep coming back and making new worlds. I do believe you will get your money's worth of playtime out of the game before becoming bored.

All in all I will say this is a game for those with imagination, those who want to see themselves as the last knights of a kingdom long since overrun by undead and explosive creeper hoards, and gathering the last of their resolve strive to survive and rebuild the kingdom that was lost. Or may be you just wanna run a weird hotel in the middle of the ocean with pig riding out back, whatever floats your boat :-p
  24. Nov 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the most addicting games EVER. I have not stopped playing this game since it came out in beta. with the new 1.0.0 update this game is better than ever with potion brewing and a new realm with a final dragon boss to fight. I have also bought this game for the Ipod, which works like creative mode. This game is one of the best I have ever played. 10/10 Expand
  25. Nov 21, 2011
    Amazing. Only word that can describe this game to its fullest. Do you want free world and do-what-you-want style of gameplay? Do you want endless fun? Do you want quality spent time? This game is just what you might be searching for! When I first played it, I was not very impressed in any part. But after youtube-ing some videos and playing it for few hours, I got mildly addicted. Now, 1Amazing. Only word that can describe this game to its fullest. Do you want free world and do-what-you-want style of gameplay? Do you want endless fun? Do you want quality spent time? This game is just what you might be searching for! When I first played it, I was not very impressed in any part. But after youtube-ing some videos and playing it for few hours, I got mildly addicted. Now, 1 year later, I have spent more than 750 hours playing the game, and hell, it was well worth it. Buy it. Only thing that really needs to be said. Magnificent! Expand
  26. Feb 20, 2011
    One of the things often overlooked in game reviews is value. How much for a game and how many hours can you expect out of a game? Minecraft is arguably the best value you can get from a game this generation. Minecraft somehow combines the addictive gameplay of Simcity and Resident Evil, not two games that normally go together. You start the game with no weapons or shelter, just a vastOne of the things often overlooked in game reviews is value. How much for a game and how many hours can you expect out of a game? Minecraft is arguably the best value you can get from a game this generation. Minecraft somehow combines the addictive gameplay of Simcity and Resident Evil, not two games that normally go together. You start the game with no weapons or shelter, just a vast landscape consisting of different 'blocks' of materials that you can cut and shape into tools and building supplies. The only other creatures you see on your horizon (the gameworld is reported to be about eight times the size of the earth) are assorted animals such as pigs and cows. In the first few minutes of gameplay, you start to notice the sun moving across the sky, and it occurs to you that it will soon be getting dark. And this is where Minecraft can turn from a simple looking Lego game with cute quacking ducks into something that is about to scare the hell out of you.

As darkness settles, you can see 'things' shuffle along the beach towards you, making growling noises. Arrows start flying at you from skeleton archers. It occurs to you that spending the afternoon and early evening exploring your world was possibly not the most productive use of your time. Building a shelter close to where you initially spawned is the first order of business. And this is where the 'mine' and 'craft' come in.

By chopping down a tree with your hands, you can get wood. With wood you can create a workbench to make tools such as an pick, axe or sword. Once you have a pickaxe, you can tackle harder materials like stone or iron by digging into the earth or chipping away at cavern walls. And with these better materials, you can use your workbench to make stronger tools, weapons and armor. By the time the moon comes up on your first night, you won't have time to make an impregnable castle fortress, but at least you should be able to put up four walls and make a door, windows and roof. In the morning, the monsters that kept you a prisoner in your home at night burn up from the morning's sun, making it safe once again to explore.

This when when you'll start to figure out that better materials are buried at deeper levels. And shortly after that, you'll realize that deep in your mine (or anywhere that lacks a light source) the monsters are waiting for you. There is genuine fear of being killed, because if you are it means you drop all of items you were holding, carrying or wearing at that spot, and you re-start at your initial spawn point that could be miles away, assuming you can even remember where that was.

Minecraft offers addictive gameplay mixed with creativity. Later, as you progress through the game (there aren't any 'levels', you just craft better weapons and items) you can aid your exploring by making boats, a compass that always points toy your spawn area, a watch (so you know if it's dark when you emerge from your mine), even to a minecart rail system! With a strong sword and good armor, you're now able to defend yourself from *most* monsters (called MOBS), allowing you to focus on building whatever you want. I recommend you check out a few Youtube videos of what people with time and imagination can come up with. For really large projects, such as a life-size USS Enterprise... this is where the multiplayer aspect of the game really shines.

Together, a group on a server can build entire cities. Players can download or create their own player skins to maintain a bit of style while swinging that diamond pick-axe to bore through tunnels that run under the ocean. Servers can chose to offer players any materials they need to aid in the construction. Again, check online to see just what is possible! Online games also allow you to build without fear of Mobs, which at that point really turns the game into a sim builder.

The game also features different climates, so you might spend one day on a sunny beach, and the next hiking across a mountain through the snow. You can explore (and create) lava pools, waterfalls, and occasionally you'll stumble across dungeons. These have chests with loot in them, and a spawn cage that creates the Mobs (there's seven different ones, but I've chosen not to mention one in particular that will eventually give you nightmares). Using torches that you create from wood sticks and coal (of course) keep you from being in the dark underground, and if you surround a Mob spawn cage with torchlight, it will remain safely dormant.

Expect to lose yourself in this game for many, many hours. Minecraft (still in beta) is currently about $15, so get in while it's still half price. Beta simply means it's still under development, so items are constantly being added. Great value indeed!
  27. Nov 20, 2011
    Very Fun, yet simple game. Getting friends together, Getting some microphones, and collecting those precious resources to survive in your new habitat. mining for new materials, such as Gold, or Diamond, for making of the better tools, until you get the best of the best. then, it doesn't even end there! , until you finally have a tower 100 blocks high, and as far as the eye can see, youVery Fun, yet simple game. Getting friends together, Getting some microphones, and collecting those precious resources to survive in your new habitat. mining for new materials, such as Gold, or Diamond, for making of the better tools, until you get the best of the best. then, it doesn't even end there! , until you finally have a tower 100 blocks high, and as far as the eye can see, you dont end your journey! this game had me pre-occupied for hours upon hours This is truly and amazing adventure. BUT, it could be better. until it gets some sort of goal that needs achieving, such as a campaign, then that one point shall rest with me. I have faith, however, that soon enough there will a story line waiting for us. Expand
  28. May 16, 2011
    Sandbox is a word that gets thrown around too much with games, however, Minecraft is truly a video game version of a sandbox. The limits to this game are only your imagination and time, as you can literally build anything and everything you can think of in this game. Now, I know that being in Beta, we are only touching the tip of the iceberg, but I would truly recommend this game toSandbox is a word that gets thrown around too much with games, however, Minecraft is truly a video game version of a sandbox. The limits to this game are only your imagination and time, as you can literally build anything and everything you can think of in this game. Now, I know that being in Beta, we are only touching the tip of the iceberg, but I would truly recommend this game to anyone with an imagination and a whole bunch of free time. Expand
  29. Dec 11, 2011
    Minecraft is a game that grabs you or revolts you. Of course, I can see how many people dislike how simple and dull the game may look. But too all of you who complain about the game's look, I say: Go back to playing Crysis. If you like hyper realistic but bland and repetitive games, fine. But don't dare to touch this gem of a game with your greasy, filthy hands, you spoiled, snotty kid!Minecraft is a game that grabs you or revolts you. Of course, I can see how many people dislike how simple and dull the game may look. But too all of you who complain about the game's look, I say: Go back to playing Crysis. If you like hyper realistic but bland and repetitive games, fine. But don't dare to touch this gem of a game with your greasy, filthy hands, you spoiled, snotty kid!
    Minecraft is simply the sandbox genre in it's purest form (yet). There is simply no limit to this game, literally and figuratively; the world you walk around in is endless, as is the creativity of both the player and the community (in the form of mods and custom maps).
    I have been playing this game endlessly, alone, with friends or on a big server with dozens of co-builders. There are no clans, no pvp maps, no strategic games... unless you want it to be.
    Whether you like to fight, build or socialize, it's all possible, because everything is possible in Minecraft.
  30. Dec 23, 2010
    Even if the graphics aren't that good, this game will keep you on the computer for hours! The environment is very well done and the music very soothing and sometimes creepy. Minecraft might be a simple game, but it still can scare the living daylights out of you when you listen to the sounds emitted by the unfriendly monsters that roam the world when night comes.
  31. Jan 1, 2011
    An addictive, simple, yet beautiful game. If you are someone who judges a game by it's graphics, then you will probably dislike this game. However every gamer knows not to judge a game by it's graphics, as a game can be rewarding in different ways, and indeed Minecraft is. A tiny sized game, that has huge potential, and is going to take the world by storm.
  32. Mar 25, 2011
    A great game to build, get together, and survive.

It has two game types so far; Survival (with multiplayer) and Classic. Classic is a building game-mod and is free to play. Survival is not free but has way more options than classic.

You have limitless possibility's to what you want to build or do on minecraft.

I recommend this game to almost everyone.
  33. Apr 21, 2011
    Minecraft is the best game I have played in years! Having just taken out a 6 month sub playing Rift (which Iâ
  34. Nov 21, 2011
    Why does this game get 10 points from me? It's obviously neither graphically nor technologically advanced, nor even up to current standards. That said, it is one of very few recent games that were not a re-hash of something that was already popular, with slightly new story and slightly better visual effects. While most of the industry is stagnating and even top titles rarely bringWhy does this game get 10 points from me? It's obviously neither graphically nor technologically advanced, nor even up to current standards. That said, it is one of very few recent games that were not a re-hash of something that was already popular, with slightly new story and slightly better visual effects. While most of the industry is stagnating and even top titles rarely bring something new to the table, Minecraft is (reasonably - it's also not an entirely origianl idea) new experience at a much lower price tag than the industry standard re-hashes. Even in the same genre, where other survival games mostly focus on surviving against hordes of enemies, Minecraft's approach is refreshingly different. Where else can you build elaborate machinery to do the slaughtering for you and automated forts that offer safe harbor? Even if you only play it in the recently released creative mode, it's the digital box of legos that you always wanted but that, somehow, Lego themselves never really got around to making. Expand
  35. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing Sandbox-Game. You need to play it and get into it, in order to understand it. If you think this Game is silly, ugly, or old, you probably haven't tried it yet.
  36. Nov 23, 2011
    Addictive game and will keep you entertained for a long time but you will eventually get bored but that will be a long time coming, i have had it since a week after the launch of the beta and have seen every new addition and it has evolved enormously since the beta launched. The graphics are certainly unique and it surprisingly has excellent lighting effects, its a huge game and hasAddictive game and will keep you entertained for a long time but you will eventually get bored but that will be a long time coming, i have had it since a week after the launch of the beta and have seen every new addition and it has evolved enormously since the beta launched. The graphics are certainly unique and it surprisingly has excellent lighting effects, its a huge game and has limitless things to do, great value well worth the price. Expand
  37. Jan 22, 2011
    Enjoy it while you can. This game was and still is incredible, but I get the feeling that it's slipping. The creator, Notch, is a failure of a programmer who should win the prize for the most inefficient coding that has graced this Earth. The core of this game is poorly coded, but Notch chose to ignore it and continue coding to the point where it's too late to do anything about it.

Other

Other than that, it's an excellent game with a wonderful concept, but it's only set to get worse as far too many features will be added and will mar the initial charm of the game. (Dragons!? Wtf!? You trying to ruin this game!?) It's a shame the 'engine' for this game is far too poorly coded to be released with an SDK. It would have made this game incredible. My solution? Recode the whole damn thing now, before it get's any worse!
  38. Jun 30, 2011
    Minecraft is so interesting and original that it makes me piss blood. It is the definition of a game which is not overrated at all. I have aspersers and am a fat autistic neck beard.
    Luckily the game is filled with novelty. While most games these days have sickeningly horrid graphics filled with realism. I have NEVER loved a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just perfect. I mean for starters you can give this game a perfect score, it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year and thatâ
  39. Nov 23, 2011
    This game deserves a ten - not because it is perfect - but because it is perfectly addictive and the best example of substance over style when creating a fun and emnminently replayable game. I too have been playing since the alpha and have only scratched the surface of all that there is to do and that I want to do in the game! This game also is super friendly to modders who will continueThis game deserves a ten - not because it is perfect - but because it is perfectly addictive and the best example of substance over style when creating a fun and emnminently replayable game. I too have been playing since the alpha and have only scratched the surface of all that there is to do and that I want to do in the game! This game also is super friendly to modders who will continue to transform this game into new and amazing things long after Notch and his team has put his final touch on it. If I was not at work right now - I would not be writiing this review - I would be at home playing this game. Expand
  40. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is epic!!!You will have tons of fun mining and or just building what you want,plus it has tons of mods that will add to the awesomeness, I highly Recommend this game for the price
  41. Nov 20, 2011
    Having been rather against Minecraft at the time of it's transfer into beta, I thought it would be a sensible idea to play the game and get some evidence on what it was really like. I was really expecting something bad. I was wrong. The game itself is brilliant - simple, yet complex. Endless hours have been spent mining, crafting, and mining more. Every world morphed into a brilliantHaving been rather against Minecraft at the time of it's transfer into beta, I thought it would be a sensible idea to play the game and get some evidence on what it was really like. I was really expecting something bad. I was wrong. The game itself is brilliant - simple, yet complex. Endless hours have been spent mining, crafting, and mining more. Every world morphed into a brilliant landscape by hand (or pickaxe). But what really makes me come back to this is that there is no set limit as to what you can do. Even when you defeat the Enderdragon on Release 1.0, you can still continue on and do yet more stuff. Even the ending titles are attractive. Sure, the graphics aren't as good as other games (unless you run a HD texture pack), and there are a few bugs here and there, but, for a game that's been having so much hype from the online community... it certainly provides... Expand
  42. Feb 10, 2012
    For creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth theFor creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth the purchase price (I also can't understand why there is so much user hate...the game is half the price of the usual crap that's sold today) Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2011
    Extremely fun with endless possibilites. Nice soundtrack and great fun! Minecraft is different to other games and is full of things to do. The game centers on crafting, collecting, exploing, building and all sorts of things.Build houses, construct huge endless tunnels, explore an amazing endless world made up of blocks of sand, dirt, diamond, coal, iron, gold, water - the list goes on.Extremely fun with endless possibilites. Nice soundtrack and great fun! Minecraft is different to other games and is full of things to do. The game centers on crafting, collecting, exploing, building and all sorts of things.Build houses, construct huge endless tunnels, explore an amazing endless world made up of blocks of sand, dirt, diamond, coal, iron, gold, water - the list goes on. Hirely reccomend it. Its brilliant. Expand
  44. Nov 23, 2011
    There is something very, very, special about this game. It's ingenious, and boldly defiant of all modern gaming conventions. It's vague, intimidating, and beautiful. You make your own stories, your own objectives, your own game. The feeling you get from putting a door on your first dirt slab house is immensely satisfying, but that feeling only increases until you reach a point where youThere is something very, very, special about this game. It's ingenious, and boldly defiant of all modern gaming conventions. It's vague, intimidating, and beautiful. You make your own stories, your own objectives, your own game. The feeling you get from putting a door on your first dirt slab house is immensely satisfying, but that feeling only increases until you reach a point where you feel like god standing on your castle with your enchanted diamond sword and network of minecarts and storage of precious materials. I can already predict, that this game will be looked back on as one of the most important games of a generation, as it's randomly generated worlds and subtle complexity will be the future of all games. This is the start of true open world, a true role playing experience. Expand
  45. Nov 24, 2011
    The game offers original concept and total freedom, while access to the code itself allows modders to do literally anything. This game is an ultimate sandbox and while it may not be equally fun to everyone (certain I got bored pretty fast), it is hands down brilliant.
  46. Mar 10, 2011
    0.o Minecraft is insanely addictive yet so very simple. It has soul, it has character, it has creepers. This is gaming at it's finest - back to basics indie development at it's best.
  47. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is really awesome, you can do so much with it and you can be really creative and build lots of things. However, the game doesn't last forever, there is only so much you can do, about after 2 weeks gameplay It will not be as fun and you will probably stop playing because at that time you already have a giant house, mines everywhere, lots of ore and many items, farm and such andThis game is really awesome, you can do so much with it and you can be really creative and build lots of things. However, the game doesn't last forever, there is only so much you can do, about after 2 weeks gameplay It will not be as fun and you will probably stop playing because at that time you already have a giant house, mines everywhere, lots of ore and many items, farm and such and then you can't really do more, you've reached your peak, and once you can't really accomplish anything else you stop playing, but still really good for that two weeks. Expand
  48. Nov 21, 2011
    Mojang's "Minecraft" is the Electronic Age's LEGOs, there is simply no other way to state it. It heavily (yet subtly) encourages the less objectively-good things in humanity, such as beauty, creativity, and teamwork, all while maintaining the guise as a "survival adventure" game. In reality, Minecraft is less about crafting and more about creating; a simple 1x2 mud hut can keep you aliveMojang's "Minecraft" is the Electronic Age's LEGOs, there is simply no other way to state it. It heavily (yet subtly) encourages the less objectively-good things in humanity, such as beauty, creativity, and teamwork, all while maintaining the guise as a "survival adventure" game. In reality, Minecraft is less about crafting and more about creating; a simple 1x2 mud hut can keep you alive through the night, but no one builds that (except out of desperation!)...the players of this game build towering monstrosities of castles, Nordic keeps, 1-to-1 scale replicas of Star Trek ships and Hogwarts castle. Not because they MUST, but simply because they CAN. This is the game of our generation. Expand
  49. Dec 1, 2010
    Probably the most popular Alpha ever. By its fans, it is revered for being the "perfect" game. By their wives, it's farmville for men. In reality this game is a huge timesink, it'll last you as long as your imagination fuels you, but as the game has no real purpose, there's nothing to hold you after exhausting your imagination, then you're left waiting on updates to allow you to do more.Probably the most popular Alpha ever. By its fans, it is revered for being the "perfect" game. By their wives, it's farmville for men. In reality this game is a huge timesink, it'll last you as long as your imagination fuels you, but as the game has no real purpose, there's nothing to hold you after exhausting your imagination, then you're left waiting on updates to allow you to do more. This game is incredibly enjoyable and I would recommend it to anyone looking to waste some time for cheap, but until the game gets a purpose, some sort of story, it will never be "perfect". Expand
  50. Nov 23, 2011
    I'm surprised that roughly 1 in 7 people scored this game negatively (325 positive vs 47 negative at the time of this review), but then I realized that this game's detractors mostly attack the graphics and "slow" development, and the game's "boring" nature. As for the graphics, believe it or not, there is appeal in styling it with a retro-pixelated feel. Certainly some people wish everyI'm surprised that roughly 1 in 7 people scored this game negatively (325 positive vs 47 negative at the time of this review), but then I realized that this game's detractors mostly attack the graphics and "slow" development, and the game's "boring" nature. As for the graphics, believe it or not, there is appeal in styling it with a retro-pixelated feel. Certainly some people wish every game had a team of 3,000 people working on it and a budget close to a Pirates of the Caribbean movie, like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty titles. And I enjoy my fair share of big budget titles, but I'm not dependent on graphics to allow me to enjoy a game, and anyone who is dependent on graphics over gameplay is set up for disappointment not only in this game, but in gaming in general. In this same reasoning, they are a company who has made 1 game, they are still a small developer, AND everyone who is complaining about features bought into the game while in development. I wonder if they'd complain so much if they were trusted to play a beta version of Madden that it wasn't still fresh after a full year of development.
    As for complaints about the game being boring, it's due to the (strangely) realistic nature of the game, in as such that you are alone in the middle of nowhere, and starting with no tools other than your hands. It does take time to assemble a comfortable zone for your player in game, and you are constantly learning through trial-and-error of ways to do things faster and better. The game isn't boring as much as it's lonely. And that's the intention of the developers, and it's certainly not a flaw or drawback to this game. And for those who need company in their games, the multiplayer option exists. I've actually been fortunate enough to have a desktop at home and my own laptop, and my girlfriend used her laptop along with mine to connect to our own server on my desktop, which allowed for a great 2-player game. All in all, the game is great, and the critical reviews explain why. I just wanted to counter the negative user reviews, because sadly, sometimes in every 7 people there is 1 person who can't be satisfied.
  51. Jan 29, 2011
    This game is amazing! I really can't wait for this game to be fully released. At it's $14.98 US price tag, this game should not be missed. I am very surprised there are not hundreds or thousands of reviews for this game as popular as it has been recently. The creator has sold over 1 million copies of the game and it is still in beta! That is how great this game is. This game is by far theThis game is amazing! I really can't wait for this game to be fully released. At it's $14.98 US price tag, this game should not be missed. I am very surprised there are not hundreds or thousands of reviews for this game as popular as it has been recently. The creator has sold over 1 million copies of the game and it is still in beta! That is how great this game is. This game is by far the best indie game I have even played! A must Buy! Expand
  52. Nov 27, 2011
    Minecraft is an incredible game. I love the survival aspects of it, how you can make your own stories and do whatever you want! The mods are great, multiplayer fun and there are very few bugs now. The out of memory bug can be solved simply by downloading java x64 (rather than the x32 that is installed.) great fun game.
  53. Apr 29, 2011
    To respond to all criticism: Graphics. They're that way to make the game cool and retro. If the graphics were better, the game would lag severely and Minecraft would be unplayable. Gameplay: You make your own fun. Pretend you're stuck underground and the rescue party won't come because everyone thinks you're dead. You have to force your way out and you try not to die. Just a thought.To respond to all criticism: Graphics. They're that way to make the game cool and retro. If the graphics were better, the game would lag severely and Minecraft would be unplayable. Gameplay: You make your own fun. Pretend you're stuck underground and the rescue party won't come because everyone thinks you're dead. You have to force your way out and you try not to die. Just a thought. Building an awesome house. Go out and fight the mosters. Tame a Wolf to be you pet. I'm always finding these underground waterfalls and lavafalls. You get the sense that you're going where no-one else has gone before. Bugs and Glitches: This is an indie game that is massive. Ok. Some bugs are major and they suck. Moving on! This game is overwhelming if you don't know what to do. Use the Minecraft Wiki to help. Build a house and go out mining and exploring. Build a massive minecart track. Sometimes, a nice little tune would play to ease you up a bit in tough situations. Bottom line: It's a triumph of Indie gaming. It's up there with the games that started out small and turned huge like the classic Donkey Kong, World of Goo, Braid and many others. A modern classic, hands down. I'd like to give it a 9.5, but I can't... Expand
  54. Jan 26, 2011
    Minecraft is a simple game with simple mechanics and simple graphics but its very fun and addictive. The game is not a complete game is being updated once in a while. I can't really say anything negative because its all good but what this game lacks is a tutorial for beginners. Its an easy game but not for beginners. Minecraft is AWESOME and ADDICTING.
  55. Apr 25, 2011
    This game is addicting, simple and very fun. Read this review and see why you should buy this game.

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game, inspired by Infiniminer, and created by Markus Persson, the founder of Mojang AB. The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork across the various multiplayer servers in multiple game modes. This game is highly liked by many people and has sold over 1 million copies.

The graphics for minecraft are nothing special; however, I'm pretty sure this was intended. The graphics aren't great at first glance, although you get used to it the more you play the game. The art design is quite charming and interesting, and it kindof sucks you in. I started liking the graphics as the pixel art design fits the game nicely however, die-hard graphics fans will never get used to them.

The gameplay is simple and complex in different ways. You start off in a randomly-generated world and you need to survive as long as possible. The game involes you to gather resourses, make shelters and kill baddies. The game has many crafting recipes and this can be very rewarding. There is a bit of a learning curve, however, once you start to get the hang of things, you can't stop thinking what to make next. The building in this game is endless, with tons of materials to get. I found myself making houses and all sorts of things. Anyways, back to the "survival" aspect. The game's AI is quite good; as the badguys really try to kill you. Obviously, this can be turned off, but the game kinda loses it's spunk. There are many enemies, from zombies to spiders, there is tons to kill. The game has an online feature, however this is a big pain for people who are forced to make a server. Unforthunately, I didn't get a chance to play online, but I'm quite sure it would be a lot of fun. I could sit here for hours telling you about how interesting this game is, but I'll let you try it out for yourself and expierience how great this game is. For a game that only costs $20, this is a must-buy for all PC owners.

The sound effects in this game are realistic and somewhat creepy. The animals such as cows, pigs, and sheep sound spot on and really make the game come to life. The game's baddies sound weird, but that isn't to much of a factor. The game's music is somewhat relaxing and peaceful. Some of the music is excellent, and others are decent. Overall, the audio is fresh and is a blast to listen to. The controls are extremely responsive and customizable. I had very little control issues with this game. I don't have much to say here; except the fact that the controls are almost perfect. The game's replay value is the best I've ever seen in a video game. The game edges LittleBigPlanet2 by using randomly-generated worlds, tons of items to craft, many updates to come and much more features. The game's replay value is unlimited, due to the fact of the cost, features and content. PROS: +Randomly-Generated Worlds
    +Tons to Explore
    +Excellent Controls
    +Great Music
    +Sound Effects are spot-on
    +Cost of $20
    +Charming
    +Good AI
    +Decent Graphics

CONS:
    -No Maps
    -Learning Curve
    -Online Setup is a pain

Ratings:
    Graphics: 7.5/10
    Gameplay: 9.5/10
    Audio: 8.5/10
    Controls: 9.5/10
    Replay Value: 10/10
    OVERALL: 9.0/10 To conclude, Minecraft is a stunning game. The graphics may not be for everyone, but that shouldn't judge the game completely. The gameplay and all the other features overpowered that flaw, and you get used to the graphics after awhile. For all the people who hate the graphics, download a texture pack to make the graphics better. I think this is one of the best games for the PC.
  56. Dec 11, 2011
    This game has so many ways to play, explore, build etc. You can play this game so long that you usually forget how long you are playing. Playing this with friends is absolutely iceing on the cake.
  57. Nov 22, 2011
    This is definetly worth a purchase, one of the best game I have played and I have played a fair bunch. Hard to get bored, I bought while it was still in Alpha mode and i still play it all the time.
  58. Jan 13, 2011
    Well...some people pay millions of dollars for fancy graphics, motion-capture and even 3D. Others pay writers to write out a well fleshed-out storyline with many choices. A few claim to offer "sandbox" style of gameplay...but nothing every comes CLOSE to amount of sandbox play style in this game. There is literally limitless potential, and because the world is constantly being generated,Well...some people pay millions of dollars for fancy graphics, motion-capture and even 3D. Others pay writers to write out a well fleshed-out storyline with many choices. A few claim to offer "sandbox" style of gameplay...but nothing every comes CLOSE to amount of sandbox play style in this game. There is literally limitless potential, and because the world is constantly being generated, there is always somewhere new to go. Not to mention, this is only one mode! There are so many possibilities with modes, some that the single developer is working on, and some being suggested by the community. It's hard to believe a game like this 10 years ago would have been shot down for poor graphics, but now is probably Game of the Year material. Match it with a $20 price tag, I don't think any game will be able to match the addictiveness. Expand
  59. Nov 24, 2011
    Still I don't see how this game gets "perfect" scores, because hosting multiplayer is a sincere pain and crafting is utterly tedious for newcomers.. But the fact that what it does, it does better than anyone else and that it is a PC game, it's pretty great. But not more than a 9/10 though, that's just the hype speaking.
  60. Nov 24, 2011
    MineCraft is truly a great game, it has something for almost any age group. With the addition of creative mode, MineCraft has opened up to all those players who just want to build (like Garry's Mod). MineCraft can be modified and is a large COMMUNITY game which I think give it a huge thumbs up.
  61. Feb 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a far too addictive game especially online.

You can build everything and everything from Hogwarts School to whole Kingdoms if you wished and the best part is that its available for download meaning you HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT NOW!
  62. Dec 16, 2011
    Personally, it really annoys me that people rate and hate games due to their graphics, even if a main feature of the game is the aesthetics which are only made possibly by the graphics. One such game is Minecraft, and I'll tell you it's had me addicted from the beginning. The creativity it inspires in me genuinely shocks me sometimes, and I've been known to spend hours at a time making aPersonally, it really annoys me that people rate and hate games due to their graphics, even if a main feature of the game is the aesthetics which are only made possibly by the graphics. One such game is Minecraft, and I'll tell you it's had me addicted from the beginning. The creativity it inspires in me genuinely shocks me sometimes, and I've been known to spend hours at a time making a roller coaster, or a palace, or a city! The game has (as far as I'm concerned) infinite replay-ability, due to the very nature of the game. And I've seen people complaining that 'it has no story'. That's the whole point, everything is left for the player to imagine, including the origins of the world you just created if you so wish. This is not COD, this is not an action filled, heavily scripted, game where you can almost guess that somethings about to explode in your face. This is, along with a few other games, nearly completely unscripted. As for the ending, it is there not to explain the world you made and how it came to be, but to thank the modding community for all the support they have shown for the game. However, i have to say that the final release was almost rushed out, simply because people were growing impatient and wanted it right here, right now. The fact that some people would complain that Notch is ignoring the bugs is ridiculous, he originally wanted to completely iron out all the bugs, but the fanbase said he could do that over the next few updates. And Minecraft is still updating, it can only get, while there are a few things left to be desired, better. Expand
  63. Nov 23, 2010
    when people ask me what is minecraft, i reply "its a game where you mine and craft"
    well. all i can say is iff a game has sold over 600,000 units, and is currently in Alpha and is currently FREE then this proves that minecraft is one of the best, most creative games you will play in a long time. a downside, (which isnt really a downside) is that it is addictive. really really addictive. one you start playing, you will not stop, either by creating new stuff or by perfecting existing creations
  64. Nov 24, 2011
    Simply, in my opinion, the best PC game ever. Endless possibilities and all it asks for is your creativity! (And time, lots and ltos of time!) Everytime there is a new patch there is loads lore featues and things to discover! Just an excellent gaming experience!
  65. Nov 28, 2011
    This game is more than a game, it will suck in your life and force you to become one of the square people, you will start to relate everything in real life to stuff in minecraft, some people are saying this game is bad because "its a game where you move around blocks, its digital legos" Well guess what folks, you can choose between creative mode or survival mode! so its more aboutThis game is more than a game, it will suck in your life and force you to become one of the square people, you will start to relate everything in real life to stuff in minecraft, some people are saying this game is bad because "its a game where you move around blocks, its digital legos" Well guess what folks, you can choose between creative mode or survival mode! so its more about surviving than building, not to mention the huge amount of servers that all have their own cool game modes, another complaint is : "there is no goal!" Yes there is, you can build a portal to the final boss called "the ender dragon" so THERE is a goal, I could also say that guess what : ITS A SANDBOX GAME, IF YOU DONT LIKE SANDBOX GAMES, then dont play minecraft, yes, after you have done everything it CAN get boring and you wish you could get that feeling of discovery whenever you craft a new thing out of blocks, but its a rather cheap game in comparison to other titles, also, one may say that terraria is better than minecraft, I would debate that they are incomparable because terraria has ALOT of unbalanced garbage in it, but everything in minecraft has a purpose and is balanced to a very good extent. Such as melons being easier to farm but wheat can be used to get your more animals (etc) or stone pick axes are better at mining huge areas than iron pick axes but iron picks pick faster, etc. The people who are voting this game down dont like sandbox games and cant see beyond their own gameplay perspectives, Geoffory2 says "this game is repetitive and boring" well its an opinion. You cant state opinion without evidence. Dont forget that this game is very unique in comparison to other titles, seriously, give this game a shot because its a master piece. (but only if you like sandbox games) if you dont like sandbox games then dont buy it, its as simple as that. Some people are marking this game down for the modding community working faster than Notch (the game creator) WHATS THE PROBLEM WITH MODS? MORE CONTENT FOR YOU.Some say "OMG THE GRAPHICS SUCK, THIS GAME IS SO GAY" well guess what, those people are COD aid infected idiots, because minecraft was not meant to be a very graphical game, graphics are extra credit really, nothing more. Also, it does NOT perform terribly if you simply dont set everything on highest settings, yes folks the rules still apply because JAVA is a REALLY REALLY BAD ENGINE.
    If there are any problems with this game, its that notch worked so slowly to get everything right before it was released, but that does not matter now!
  66. Nov 24, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. The only reason it is really getting hated upon is because of its art style and updates. Both of which are nothing to complain about even if you don't like the game.
  67. Nov 23, 2011
    I wandered through the woods, killed skeletons, spiders, zombies. I discovered deep canyons and high mountains. I dug deep into the soil to find ores of iron, gold and diamonds. I built a palace made of glass surrounded by waterfalls that keep the creepers away. I built a rollercoaster, a chicken farm, a musical gangway. On our server I can travel by cart to a Cathedral built a friend orI wandered through the woods, killed skeletons, spiders, zombies. I discovered deep canyons and high mountains. I dug deep into the soil to find ores of iron, gold and diamonds. I built a palace made of glass surrounded by waterfalls that keep the creepers away. I built a rollercoaster, a chicken farm, a musical gangway. On our server I can travel by cart to a Cathedral built a friend or to the depths of Moria built by another...

There are so many adventures, crafting recipies... possibilities!
    The music is so awesome and inspiring, I bought and d/l'd some C418 CDs so I can hear the music while I'm working. Minecraft is a phenomenon that I'm happy to be part of.
  68. Dec 8, 2011
    Since people like lists ill list just some of the features in this game.
    - crafting
    - mining - fighting - exploring - gathering - breeding - farming - jumping - swimming - running - building - killing - eating - wood chopping - smelting - raining - lightning - planting - nethering - sleeping - customizing - sailing - enchanting - digging - shaving - slaughtering - socializing ....the
    Since people like lists ill list just some of the features in this game.
    - crafting
    - sailing
    - enchanting
    - digging
    - shaving - slaughtering - socializing
    ....the list could go on but i ran out of words with" ing "
  69. Nov 27, 2011
    This is easily the best PC game I've played in years. There's so much content here, and that content keeps getting expanded on month after month after month. It started out as a small sort of Lego game, then mining got expanded, then building got expanded, we got minecarts, redstone circuitry to make complex machines, we got more mobs to go out and fight, biomes to explore. Snowlands, hugeThis is easily the best PC game I've played in years. There's so much content here, and that content keeps getting expanded on month after month after month. It started out as a small sort of Lego game, then mining got expanded, then building got expanded, we got minecarts, redstone circuitry to make complex machines, we got more mobs to go out and fight, biomes to explore. Snowlands, huge mountains, vast deserts. RPG mechanics, villagers, -pistons-... and there's more on the way. On top of that the game is highly moddable, the likes of which I, as a big time modder, haven't experienced much of since Morrowind, Half-Life 2, and Civ4. Expand
  70. Nov 27, 2011
    This is just amazing, there is so many things you can do, but few updates then this will be completed. Minecraft maybe need story or something but community will help you mods, servers, texture packs, those is why this is so damn good and without those, this is still very good game.
  71. Feb 27, 2012
    I hate Minecraft. There are more bugs than any other game I have ever played, and I can safely predict that almost all of them will remain un-fixed throughout the entirety of the game. Why did I give it a 10, you ask? Because even in spite of all of these bugs and lack of features, some of which can be game-breaking at times, it's still a *million* times more fun than any game I haveI hate Minecraft. There are more bugs than any other game I have ever played, and I can safely predict that almost all of them will remain un-fixed throughout the entirety of the game. Why did I give it a 10, you ask? Because even in spite of all of these bugs and lack of features, some of which can be game-breaking at times, it's still a *million* times more fun than any game I have played recently. Even Skyrim hasn't been able to keep me coming back as much as Minecraft has.

And if there's really some feature that I feel it should have, I can always mod it. God I love modding. If modern game creators should learn anything from Minecraft, it should be to make their make their game moddable. If there's anything I don't like about the game, I can change it, so any problems I have with the game would ultimately be a result of my lack of coding ability. :-)

Also, Notch! Release a proper modding toolkit or I'll do something naughty to your servers!
  72. Nov 24, 2011
    An amazing game. I haven't seen another game do anything like it (before this was released). There is an infinite amount of things you can do. A randomly generated world, with caverns, mines, towns, mountain ranges, swamps, you name it. It has many different modes but my favorite is survival. Cook food, hunt, build shelter, etc. My friend and I built a giant tower, a stone keep, a trainAn amazing game. I haven't seen another game do anything like it (before this was released). There is an infinite amount of things you can do. A randomly generated world, with caverns, mines, towns, mountain ranges, swamps, you name it. It has many different modes but my favorite is survival. Cook food, hunt, build shelter, etc. My friend and I built a giant tower, a stone keep, a train station, and much more. Build whatever you want, go cave exploring to find materials. Whatever you want to do, you can do. You'll never be bored. Expand
  73. Nov 25, 2011
    Amazing game. In fact the first one I bought since the 80:s, and the only one I still play after about a year buying it. The possibilites in the game makes every new world unique, and the Hardcore-mode makes dying very less desirable.
  74. Nov 26, 2011
    This game is very cool. Some people say the graphics sucks, but I think that's one of the special things, which makes minecraft so interesting. Only thing I hate is the missing mod-support.
  75. Nov 27, 2011
    I got minecraft in the early beta days, and up to now it remains to me addictive and entertaining. The pric e of the game is excellent for the amount of hours of gameplay you get from it. Even if you get bored of the vanilla game, there is a enormous modding community that will satisfy all your wants.

Survival and creation are the two main aspects of minecraft. In survival mode you gather resources and shelter your self from the evil of the night, monsters such as creepers, skeletons and zombies will ambush you throughout the game and you will need weaponry, defence and protection to fight back the threat. With enough resources, you can make anything you can imagine, following a isometric system that doesn't fail to dissapoint.

Creative mode is more of an extra feature, allowing you to build whatever you can think of. it doesn't give the ammount of satisfaction that survival gives, but is a great passtime and great for displaying creations to your friends and the community.

Dimensions in both modes add more depth to the game. The nether is a hellish hostile world with special resources necessary for projects such as glowstone, blaze rods and netherrack. The end ( also known as the Ender) is... well let me not ruin that for you ;)

Multiplayer is even better. it takes a while to get it running, and with bad connection servers can be quite laggy but playing with a friend is a new experience on itself.

The only issue i really have with minecraft is that i feel as if notch is making it feel a bit too constrained. In alpha and early beta, nothing really mattered and you just were there, but now it makes me feel as if i'm forced to follow a set amount of goals every time i start up a new world.

Still, minecraft doesn't fail to dissapoint me and millions of others. Minecraft is more than just a game. Its an experience and nothing is more satisfying than setting yourself a goal and achieving it.

I give minecraft a 9 for

+1 a lot of items and collectivity
    +1 ton's of replayability
    +1 Great bang for your buck
    +1 Redstone
    - 1 for feeling a bit forced to do things now.
  76. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is a great example of how a game does not have to be complicated and with fancy graphics to be good. The game is very fun in creative, survival and in multiplayer. The only down side about this game would be that, on vanilla, this game can become rather boring. But Minecraft created a great community that started to create wonderful mods, texture packs, custom maps, adventureThis game is a great example of how a game does not have to be complicated and with fancy graphics to be good. The game is very fun in creative, survival and in multiplayer. The only down side about this game would be that, on vanilla, this game can become rather boring. But Minecraft created a great community that started to create wonderful mods, texture packs, custom maps, adventure maps and more. Making Minecraft a game you can play for years. Expand
  77. Dec 6, 2011
    **** Awesome game and a success for Indie game developers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  78. Dec 10, 2011
    This game has provided me with hours of fun with my friends and by my self. Its normal game play is fun, and with the use of red stone, one can achieve awesome computers and calculator.
  79. Oct 17, 2012
    17OCT2012 - At first I thought to myself "Why am I playing this crappy looking game?" Then about nine hours later I was addicted and asked myself "Why am I still playing this crappy looking game?" If your criteria for judging a video game is based on graphics then this game would receive a low score. However for fun and re-playability this game receives a perfect score. The world in17OCT2012 - At first I thought to myself "Why am I playing this crappy looking game?" Then about nine hours later I was addicted and asked myself "Why am I still playing this crappy looking game?" If your criteria for judging a video game is based on graphics then this game would receive a low score. However for fun and re-playability this game receives a perfect score. The world in Minecraft is massive. So massive that if you started running in one direction 24/7, you would reach the end of the world in a little over three months real time. With each patch the game gets better. Multiplayer is where the real fun is at. Cooperative gameplay or player vs player makes for a great LAN party game. Highly recommended. Expand
  80. Jun 27, 2012
    Minecraft is, put simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences of its generation. For gaming enthusiasts everywhere, this is a must to have in your collection. You may be a Call of Duty guy, running FPS games all day, or you may be a Starcraft 2 kind of strategy guy. Or maybe an MMORPG WoW type of person, organising raids with fellow nerds - but Minecraft is the kind of game which bringsMinecraft is, put simply, one of the greatest gaming experiences of its generation. For gaming enthusiasts everywhere, this is a must to have in your collection. You may be a Call of Duty guy, running FPS games all day, or you may be a Starcraft 2 kind of strategy guy. Or maybe an MMORPG WoW type of person, organising raids with fellow nerds - but Minecraft is the kind of game which brings lovers of all genres together in one experience. In fact, that's the best way to describe it. It's more of an experience than a game, and an experience which is different to each unique user.

As an aside, the User Score for this game genuinely brings shame on the Metacritic system and undermines the point of a user based aggregate score. Trolls, go back under your respective rocks.

9/10 - A gaming experience not to be missed.
  81. Aug 29, 2012
    This game shows what can happen when creativity and popularity happen. It has all the makings of a good simulator, with the developer support every good game needs. With beta tests you can download weekly that shows off new items and mobs, you can see Mojang has no plans on slowing down.

The basis of the game is simple. Create. With three difficulty level, a Hardcore mode, and a creative building mode, it is easy to jump in and play however you want, and with new console commands, be able between modes easily.

There is a little story to minecraft, albeit hard to find. A single boss awaits at the endgame level, but getting to him is hard and only found by those who search for him. New patches add more reasons to go and find him, and more bosses are planned, but with no tutorial, a new player is easily lost.

However, the best thing about minecraft is not the game, but the content. It may have been released a while back, but the new content continues to fly out Mojangs door. Many complain of the bugs in the game, but that is to be expected with new content. There never seems to be an end to the content, although the wait time between patches is long.

In the end, Minecraft will get you addicted for a week, until you finish that huge project. Then a new patch will come out, and you'll be playing again.
  82. Dec 29, 2013
    I love Minecraft, I love it for how open it is and how much you can actually do. I'm more of a fan of the creative and the building side of things. This game is great for that! With free upcoming updates every few months increasing the features, items and blocks. People who tend not to like minecraft usually do not play for long enough. You have to build to a certain level until you cannotI love Minecraft, I love it for how open it is and how much you can actually do. I'm more of a fan of the creative and the building side of things. This game is great for that! With free upcoming updates every few months increasing the features, items and blocks. People who tend not to like minecraft usually do not play for long enough. You have to build to a certain level until you cannot stop and admire your creation. Minecraft also carry's what other of its followers do not. The ability to create various contraptions using a redstone system (A wiring type of system) alongside rails and other tools to help you implement uses into things you make. I already give this a 10 just for that. That isn't all, it includes survival and multiplayer in which is huge with it's own game modes, RPGs and survivals. I'm sure I haven't covered everything but from my experience it is one of my favorite games. Expand
  83. Jan 4, 2014
    This is one of the best games I have ever played, period. It is true that plain vanilla may get boring after a while, but this is where the amazing community, mods, and servers come in! There is truly infinite possibility in this game, and I would definitely recommend it for anyone willing to give it a go.
  84. Mar 14, 2014
    Minecraft is a flawless game, though I do have a few suggestions for future updates.

1: Like most people on the MC forum, WE WANT FLOATING ISLANDS! 2:In a past update, "The Biome Update" many new "biomes" are added to the massive sandbox. Some examples are, Savanah, Canyon and a Roofed Forest. I believe, there should be certain "mobs" (Creatures existing in the world) for each biome.

1: Like most people on the MC forum, WE WANT FLOATING ISLANDS!
    2:In a past update, "The Biome Update" many new "biomes" are added to the massive sandbox. Some examples are, Savanah, Canyon and a Roofed Forest. I believe, there should be certain "mobs" (Creatures existing in the world) for each biome. Some examples are, Lions, Elephants,Heiynas etc. for the Savanah. I also have some suggestions for the Jungle biome, some being, Jaguars,Tigers,Monkeys,Snakes etc. Thank you for reading!

Herbertlives
  85. Mar 15, 2014
    Was my favorite game for a long time when I was younger. I played 500+ hours.
    Its so much better with mod pack. if you have played it a fair bit get a mod pack. The best ones are from Technic or FTB.
  86. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecraft is probably the most innovative game since Doom. It is not a normal game, it created a whole new genre. It really deserves the perfect score.
  87. Apr 27, 2011
    This game isn't finished yet, but is already a masterpiece! When you start playing Minecraft, it's impossible to stop! If you like any sort of videogame, you must play this!
  88. Nov 24, 2011
    Very fun game, start in a world with nothing and build it into your own.
    Fight, play or build. Learn new skills and improve your red stone circuits to make some awesome things.

A****
  89. Nov 29, 2011
    no game has unleashed the creativity of it's players like Minecraft has, the amount of things you could build is endless and when you add multiplayer into the mix building with friends has never been so fun. Top Notch game.
  90. Feb 16, 2012
    This game is vastly entertaining with nearly endless possible activities and modding ability. Setting up a modded server with friends will no doubt be endlessly fun if you make full use of the mods. This is a HUGE step in the right direction for games. To hell with graphics, give me content!
  91. Dec 22, 2013
    Highly original, massive fun with high replayability and an amazing modding community. Whilst the game may lack visuals, a storyline and contains numerous bugs, it is still massively addictive and fun. The fact that it makes up for these shortcomings (that would be big negatives in any other game) proves that the degree of enjoyment is truly extraordinary.
  92. Jun 22, 2014
    How could you call Mine craft not fun? When I first tried it out, I never knew that using your imagination and putting it into a game could be so much fun. From there, I wanted to learn more: how red stone works, how to build a TNT cannon, etc. Basically what I'm trying to say is if you know what you're doing, Mine craft is extremely addicting. Also to add on to the fun are mods and serverHow could you call Mine craft not fun? When I first tried it out, I never knew that using your imagination and putting it into a game could be so much fun. From there, I wanted to learn more: how red stone works, how to build a TNT cannon, etc. Basically what I'm trying to say is if you know what you're doing, Mine craft is extremely addicting. Also to add on to the fun are mods and server plugins. They make Mine craft just very addicting, like a chewy cookie. This game is underrated by so many people, don't listen to them: they don't know what a good game is like. Expand
  93. Nov 18, 2011
    winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn brahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh winnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn minecraft
  94. Nov 28, 2011
    Great game, the bad graphics may be a minus, but compared to the stunning gameplay and the huge amount of things you can do for fun. I would say you'll love it!
  95. Nov 28, 2011
    MineCraft is my favourite PC game of all time. It out plays elder-scrolls, diablo, fallout and all others. you can play Minecraft forever and never get bored. MineCraft will be one of those games that people will play in the decades to come.
  96. Nov 28, 2011
    OK. I'm going to give this wonderful game a 10 which it truly deserves. The critic reviews are all great, but as usual the user reviews don't exactly know what they are reviewing, so let me get this straight, Minecraft is supposed to have simple graphics and if you don't like them, get a texture pack! Great glad i got that over with. Minecraft is a simple, yet exciting game. You can buildOK. I'm going to give this wonderful game a 10 which it truly deserves. The critic reviews are all great, but as usual the user reviews don't exactly know what they are reviewing, so let me get this straight, Minecraft is supposed to have simple graphics and if you don't like them, get a texture pack! Great glad i got that over with. Minecraft is a simple, yet exciting game. You can build in a unlimited world, you just need your imagination. One thing people forget is that this game is not over with, they will keep updating it every week and add mod support which will be great, so to those people out there giving this game a terrible review just because "game play is repetitive" there are updates so don't give this wonderful unique game a 0 because of that. I respect mojang and people really seem to forget they are indie developers, I'm grateful notch keeps up with the community which most developers don't do. And one of the greatest things about this game is that there really is no goal, yeah now there is the end, but still use your imagination. I love the graphics of this game, funny how people call it 70s like graphics i wouldn't like the game if it had a more real approach to it. This is the most unique game i have ever played, hope you love it like mostly every one does! P.S. this is from someone who actually PLAYED the game. ;D Expand
  97. Dec 13, 2011
    This game is the best game for computer it is awesome !!!!!! I play it all the time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it is totallty worth playing!!!!!!
  98. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is way way overrated. I tried to play it, and honestly I don't understand what's so great about this. Notch was very lucky on all the free marketing around it, but even with that, I still don't understand what people see in this.
    My 10 year old kid, he does like to wander around and build houses, but he's 10 year old...
  99. Apr 24, 2012
    I can't believe all the jerks writing reviews here. Notch and the rest of Mojang have said plenty of times that they have one of the best communities for a game ever, and you give Minecraft a 6.9 user score? That's just rude in my opinion. I understand the amount of bugs, but there are no game-breaking bugs, and it is probably the most ambitious game out there. I mean, Notch wanted to makeI can't believe all the jerks writing reviews here. Notch and the rest of Mojang have said plenty of times that they have one of the best communities for a game ever, and you give Minecraft a 6.9 user score? That's just rude in my opinion. I understand the amount of bugs, but there are no game-breaking bugs, and it is probably the most ambitious game out there. I mean, Notch wanted to make a never-ending world made ENTIRELY OUT OF BLOCKS that you could break and place in any form or fashion. And he pulled it off! There is obviously no game in the world that you can literally do ANYTHING, but with just the stuff you start out with (not counting mods), you can do so much and build anything. Even contraptions! Now, to all the people that say that the graphics are bad, first of all its an indie game and its supposed to look like that. If you don't like it, get a texture pack! Its as easy as that! Also, to the people who say some things (like the NPCs) don't have much of a use, do you really think they are going to just leave them like that? If anything, you yelling at them probably makes them want to fix things LESS. Minecraft is my favorite game, and no matter how much it changes, they so far have only added and fixed more and more things, so, it just gets better. Expand
  100. Mar 27, 2014
    After a while it grows on you a bit, plus everyone was telling me how great the building aspect of it is when I'm more into the adventure and mining of it. Although it still seems like the fans are the ones that carried this game...
  101. Nov 18, 2011
    What a phenomenal game. Where to start... where to start. A game like Minecraft is unbelievable difficult to review, for one main reason: Minecraft is what you make of it. Literally. Minecraft requires devotion and care. It is a game of brilliance. It shines everywhere. The second reason reviewing this game is hard, is because this game has endless opportunities, and the amount of thingsWhat a phenomenal game. Where to start... where to start. A game like Minecraft is unbelievable difficult to review, for one main reason: Minecraft is what you make of it. Literally. Minecraft requires devotion and care. It is a game of brilliance. It shines everywhere. The second reason reviewing this game is hard, is because this game has endless opportunities, and the amount of things the developers could have included are /literally/ endless.

This is why Minecraft has a plugin system. It needs improvement, but its a very good start. Where can this game improve? It needs a main world for all minecrafters to explore, almost like World of Warcraft.

Reviewing this game will take ages, which is why I will put into a few main categories:
    -- Gameplay: 10
    -- Fun: 9.5
    -- Graphics: N/A

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]