7.4

1. May 18, 2013
    I have to say my experience was a bit bad at first, but once you learn the basics (from youtube, for example) it is a really good game. The content in the game may at first seem quite lacking, but there are many things to discover, with new things being added sort-of frequently. There is a great community for the game that have produces almost countless add-ons, mods and texture packs.
  2. May 15, 2013
    Minecraft is brilliant! The game is about placing blocks and surviving. Although it might sound weird, it is really worth a try. I've put hundreds of hours in this game, and it never gets boring!

The game is regularly updated and there's always new things to play around with. The only limit in Minecraft, is you. Just imagine how much you can achieve with an unlimited world and tons of
    blocks to build with. If that's not enough, there's a lot of mods and modpacks for the game. Many people are against the new updates that added features like enchanting or leveling but I personally don't have anything against these. These are survival elements that makes the game more fun. Minecraft will mainly always be about creativity and building so it doesn't really matter. Expand
  3. May 15, 2013
    This game is a Masterpiece in all ways. You can play Singleplayer which is really enjoyable if you play it with mods, but without it still nice to play, and you can play Multiplayer which is really the most awesome thing ever. The graphics are good to a game that has infinite possibilities in an infinite world (anyways, you can install LOTS of texture and graphic mods). The sound is nice too. You can do everything in this game! it's probably one of the best RPGs ever, it's very simple to play but you can do in this game the most complicated things ever and you can develop and test your creativity. It's like a LEGO infinite world and infinite odds, hell I think this game is infinite in all ways. There are a lot of free updates and improvements every month, that make the game bigger and bigger.

I have to say that the best way to play this game is installing mods or/and playing multiplayer with friends, if you play singleplayer without an idea you could get little bit disappointed, because it's simple to play, but difficult to learn (this game has a lot of things). But if you give to this game an opportunity, and you play with friends/mods, it's a Masterpiece.

Sorry for my english. Download this game, and if you like it you can buy the game, but it's not 100% necessary (I bought it because I wanted to contribute the developers).
  4. May 9, 2013
    The game is fun but the textures are simplistic and blocky but its infinite replayability might get tiresome if you play it for hours and hours, And there are still bugs here and there.
  5. May 9, 2013
    I had a rather good gameplay experience with Minecraft, however, I quickly got bored. I played about 50 hours in the first week, and then just kinda stopped. My interest slowly petered out. It's an excellent game, and certainly worth the price (I bought it in late alpha, so I got it cheaper.), but don't expect 600 hours of gameplay.
  6. May 9, 2013
    I don't understand the negativity towards this game. This may be the most inclusive game I have ever seen. There is something for everyone. If you like surviving in the wild, there is the survival game mode. If you like building, there is creative mode. If you like building complicated machines and working with wiring, there are modpacks such as Tekkit and Voltz. If you like PvP, there are hundreds of Hunger Games servers, Search and Destroy servers, etc. If you like playing Call of Duty or Battlefield, there are servers for that as well. There are maps made for RPG play too. Anything you want to do in Minecraft, you can, so go buy this game as it is much less expensive than most other games. Expand
  7. May 7, 2013
    Minecraft is a GREAT game. I can't for the life of me figure out why some people give minecraft 1 or 0 or whatever. When i first saw it i thought what kind of graphics are these? Then i realized they were actually really good (on my opinion though,) and the game play never ever gets old. NEVER. There is always something to do like redstone contraptions,building humongous buildings and playing it with honest, fun people. It actually really lightens it up. I do have to say it needs some more updates. (lazy staff.) Expand
  8. May 6, 2013
    After I bought my Xbox 360, the game I wanted the most was Fallout 3, a game that I heard had taken some people's sleep due to its depth and infinite possibilities that kept people thinking about what decision to make next and what would be the outcome of that decision. I did end up buying Fallout 3 but it didn't kept me awake at night like it did to some people (still, a great game!). The game that did that for me was Minecraft. The idea of being able to modify the ole world and build everything I could think of was incredible! Even more incredible when the stuff you build actually had a purpose, to help you survive. I really became a fan of survival games when I started to play Minecraft, unfortunately, the survival element of the game disappears after the first 4 or 5 in-game days because, by that time, I'd already built myself a basic house, I had a mine and I had weapons. It turns into sandbox RPG where you just want to raid dungeons, farm XP, get better gear, kill bosses and then kill the Ender Dragon (the final boss). The developers really got me confused when they started putting these RPG-ish things into the game (bosses, leveling system, potions, dungeons, enchantments...) instead of enhancing the survival aspect of Minecraft. That (to me) was a problem. Another problem tis game has is that you will probablly lose interest on the game when you get to the middle part of the game because you've become so strong and resourcefull that nothing feels challenging anymore. Lucklly for Minecraft, those are the only mistakes I found in the game. The random map generator is amazing, the creative mode lets you use every block in the game so you can just build awesome stuff hardcore mode adds permadeath, making the game more challenging and the multiplayer makes everything more enjoyable (and there's LAN). I gave this game a 7 out of 10, not because it's a good survival game but because it's a great adventure game that's even better with friends, because it allows you to shape the world as you want and because of the amazing world generator that give this game a lot of re-playability. If you own a PC, you probably already played Minecraft, but if you haven't, you have to! Expand
  9. May 2, 2013
    I give it 8.
    Minecraft is a Sandbox game,whether you can play Survival mode,like the classic mode where beating mobs,make shelter,Mining Ore,or discover the unholy place of Mineshaft,Nether or even End World.Or you play Creative,where you are god,do everything,blow world to pieces,or build something cool to share your creativity :)
    Although i do not enjoy the Single-Player Mode,since it
    kinda bored easily when you alone on the world,the multiplayer,shows how great this game was,it was like Life-Consumer xD
    The graphics through,its not really bad,but i think you can know the blocks easily,its charming textures that reminds how good the game graphic was.
    Thats all for my review,so my last verdict about the review is,Better play with friends and also,the game makes its better if the people show their creativity rather than none.
  10. Apr 30, 2013
    I've bean around since alpha and have sill bean playing it so about 1 year of me Sitting at my computer playing, That's allot of game-play and its a very small file No pay DLC the updates are free! with new things and That's what i love about it
  11. Apr 29, 2013
    The worst game ever created. The graphics: must I explain? They are lazy and terrible beyond the appropriate words I am going to use in this review. The combat sucks. The building is decent at best. The enemy AI is horrible. The friendly AI is horrible. The developers spend more time using their ocean of money and playing April fools jokes than updating the game. What does this god forsaken game have? The answer is simple: Nothing. Play a much better copy, or better sandbox games like ROBLOX and Terraria. This hellhole mess should be destroyed on sight. Expand
  12. Apr 29, 2013
    Minecraft is a block-based sandbox game where you can either gather resources, explore randomly-generated terrains and structures, and fight dangerous monsters in survival, or build something amazing in creative. You can also play and view other users creations with adventure mode. Minecraft has limitless potential, with so many features in counting. You can also utilise a small section of features into something extraordinary. To see what has come with 3 years of development, I can't wait to see the future of Minecraft! The game can be a big glitch with certain features and graphical content, and for that reason, I score it a 9. Expand
  13. Apr 27, 2013
    I've been with the game since a few days before the update to BETA 1.2, back when "Wow beds that set your spawn!" Was a huge game changer. The game has taken a big place in my heart, and even though I grew bored of single player after a few weeks and made myself create a new world which I got bored of a little quicker again I did drift from the game. As it's popularity increased though more servers became available and more people and friends got the game and a community was born, possibly the greatest game community of all if you pretend Little Big Planet doesn't exist (That's a compliment to both games)

The multiplayer is a lot of fun and although building a village, town or city with friends eventually you run out of things to do, UNLESS you challenge yourselves, think of something and don't stop until you've achieved it. After that, install some mods, play some adventure maps and join some game servers like survival games and spleef arenas and parkour. The game has unlimited possibilities all thanks to it's players.

The only thing I dislike about the game is with each coming update it looses some of the original charm that it had in the beginning. Even though it makes a better game with more things to do, I find myself upset to remember that the days of being impressed by beds is behind us. That may just be me however.

Check this game out, play it at a friends house or try our the demo and watch a few videos. I promise you will want to be throwing your money right at it because I would have happily payed triple the price for this game that has given countless hours of entertainment to me, and counting.
  14. Apr 21, 2013
    Minecraft, what can I say? It probably has more freedom than any other PC game, and can keep you addicted for hours on end. Singleplayer is good enough to be a game by itself, but there's also multiplayer, which is even better when it isn't lagging. Minecraft lets you do whatever you like, with an optional final boss. However, Minecraft doesn't add a whole lot new to PC gaming, beside block-based everything. The more you play Minecraft, the more you realize it's just the same thing over and over. Mods can help to add more to the game, but vanilla is the same thing repeated many times. Overall, very, very good, but not enough variety. Expand
  15. Apr 20, 2013
    Minecraft is one of these very controversial and heavy opinionated games. I my personal opinion it's one of these games that have a huge impact in the gaming world Never have I seen a voxel based game improve over time as this game If you really look at it for what it's done as a game done to it's players it has brought back the creativity in all of us reviving people's imagination and If you look at it as the game it self well that's your own opinion but it is easy one of those game the I will mention of years to come. It well deserves this praise and if you tell me if this game is unfinished well that's the best thing about it because it your imagination the finishes it. Expand
  16. Apr 17, 2013
    You Absolutely would not guess how many hour i have sunk into this game, and it is simply the most innovating game and one of the best games i have ever played, a well earned 10 is what this games gets. it has flaws of course, but every game does. for example, there should be more purpose to exploring places like the nether and the end( but it is also satisfyingly rewarding) like nether chest. i would complain that there should be level for mining but they have fixed that. a harder game mode would be nice, hardcore is scary but mobs can be killed very easily. and finally, just add herobrine. it would give a little bit of fear into the game. if they did this, i would try to convince metacritic to make and 11 out of 10 option Expand
  17. Apr 14, 2013
    Honestly, Minecraft is the best game I have ever played. There's something in it for everyone. Yeah, singleplayer vanilla may get boring after a while, but there's a practically endless assortment of awesome mods to choose from. And multiplayer, in my opinion, is really the great part of this game. For me, if I can find myself a relatively small server with a good community, I'm in heaven. Although many would disagree with me, I think the graphics work perfectly for the game, and even if you're unhappy with them there are plenty of great texture packs (one I would recommend is John Smith). The price point may look a little high, but when you compare it to a generic FPS that may be 20 dollars more with a 6 hour campaign and unimaginative gameplay, its a steal. Expand
  18. Apr 10, 2013
    Horrible. The gameplay is decently entertaining with friends (but only for 2 days every 6 months or so.) The graphics are complete crap and the developers try to pass this off as attempting to be "retro" while if you look at actual retro games, they look much better than this. Even with these terrible graphics, Minecraft fails to run well on lower-end PCs because the developers are terrible at optimizing the game. The AI in general is terrible and you can hardly consider it AI at all. Zombies run at you and attack you with no pattern. Skeletons shoot you and do nothing else. They have no death animations. You can hardly interact with villagers. Infact, villagers were pointless from the beginning, as when they were added they just came with some randomly spawned village that you couldn't do anything to but destroy or modify. They don't talk. All they do is move around a little and stare at you. The fact that this game got a rating almost as good as Bioshock Infinite makes me sad. The fact that this game got more than a mixed rating makes me sad. Expand
  19. Apr 6, 2013
    I don't understand that why people think Minecraft is a low-graphic game? Are you serious? This game does not about GRAPHIC. This is about your creativity. You can do whatever you want! Like castles,houses... Example, someone made a Battlefield 3 map in Minecraft (Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be3CyvUptEc) This game will broad your mind. Just build something. Or play with your friends.
  20. Apr 6, 2013
    I don't really know what to write in here. Minecraft is just awesome. If you are creative, you'll never get out of work and fun! To describe it very short: Minecraft is THE game, I would take to a lonely island!
  21. Apr 4, 2013
    Minecraft is very addicting and lures you in to the Minecraft world. You can do whatever you want, kill, build, explore and much more. But it can get boring after a while, but it's an updating game with thousands of mods that will get you busy for ever.
  22. Apr 3, 2013
    All in all, a pretty awesome game! Minecraft lets your creative side take over, and I love that! The only thing I don't like about it is all the confusing recent addition, which make the game a whole lot more confusing than it should be.
  23. Apr 2, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft it was AMAZING!!!! However, it quickly got boring due to the fact that there is no change. Survive the first night, expand during the day, hide at night, after about 2 months this quickly became repetitive and boring. It became interesting again when I started playing online with a few (3 or 4) friends, but again became very repetitive.
  24. Apr 1, 2013
    Damn. This game got worse over the last years.

Since Jeb is the main developer of MineCraft, it lost one and a half of my metacritic points Notch made this game awesome, then came the downfall from a sandbox to an adventure with sandbox features after 1.8. Hm. Still enjoyable, of course. But developed at the wrong parts, sadly.
  25. Mar 30, 2013
    Minecraft is probably the most popular Sandbox indie game in existence, with almost 10,000,000 users! which shows that for many, it's a very fun game! Minecraft obviously has some problems, some of which are just part of the game and are deliberate (i.e the graphics). Minecraft allows you to make or do anything that you wish, which can be very fun if you're a creative person, and if you find yourself to be a good builder in the game, you can begin to create great things Minecraft has mainly become famous because of it's popularity on Youtube, especially from the Yogscast group.
    As well as this, minecraft's multiplayer option has made the game ever-more addictive, with easy interaction and chat with other players (which also causes some problems). I personally find multiplayer fun because of the competition offered by many servers; which is greatly improved when the server is modded to have extra abilities and features added to the game, like shops and skills. In short, some people will either love the game, or get bored after about 10 minutes; if you're really put off by the graphics, either don't bother getting the game, or get it and improve the graphics with texture packs, which can make the game look quite sophisticated indeed, presuming that your computer can handle it.
  26. Mar 29, 2013
    Opening the door for creativity and absolute sandbox give this game a perfect score in my book. Gamers understand that sometimes the modding community can make the game so much more than its original developers... for for that This game will be forever entered into the hall of firsts. some times good graphics do not matter, as long as mechanics and fun exist. HINT HINT AAA developers.
  27. Mar 29, 2013
    Minecraft is a very good game. A nice, if not new concept which allows players to achieve great things. The game works well with friends, and alone, but you must realize that in order to be entertained, you need to have a goal. If you aren't working on something this game gets boring fast. So think of something, and build it!
  28. Mar 29, 2013
    i have played the game, OH YEA i have played this game. it was fun. FOR LIKE 10 MINUTES. i liked modding and the game overall was pretty decent. till now. almost nothing useful has been added, only some serious useless no body's interested of. and this is an overrated piece of garbage anyway, so i say you mojang and your STUPID, OVER RATED trash. period!
  29. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is amazing its endless fun and hard to stop playing. If you don't like the main game that's fine just check out some mods. If you don't like the graphics get a texture pack. Over all this is an amazing game.
  30. Mar 26, 2013
    It's a wonderful sight to see another indie game shoot up to the top of the gaming industry, and Minecraft is no exception. This is a definite buy for any gamer, as it provides something unique to the open-world RPG/ adventure genre. The sky is the limit!

Off the mark, most people will know Minecraft for its unique graphical style. Blocks make up every object in this game, and the
    simple, yet brilliant art-style ties straight into the core gameplay. Running Minecraft is easy- the requirements are extremely low, and with a good gaming PC, I've run this game at well over two-hundred frames per second (that's fast). However: Minecraft is not brilliantly optimised due to its low budget, so expect some very major slowdown when you crank up the settings. 9/10

In the way of story- there is no definite experience. Your story will be personal to you alone, and nobody's adventures will be quite the same, although there isn't a way of tracking what you've done so far by means of recording gameplay, a feature which many people would enjoy. 9/10

The game has a very distinct sound design, which delivers around five or six memorable tracks that play at random intervals. An introduction of some new pieces would be nice to hear, though, as the repeating soundtrack can begin to go stale after a while. Sound effects are also good, but their repetitiveness sours the aural experience a fair amount. 7.5/10

But where Minecraft excels the most is in gameplay. When a player first starts their Survival Mode world, they'll have to chop down trees, craft a crafting table and quickly get to work crafting objects and tools to keep them alive, and safe from the evil enemy "mobs" such as exploding Creepers or bow-wielding Skeletons that attack at night. From here on in, the player is left to do basically anything they want, mining underground for better resources with crafted tools, farming plants and animals to eat and pet, and creating almost anything imaginable with blocks. Minecraft is a completely open world, there for players to explore and adore. 10/10

And if the stellar singleplayer wasn't enough, a multiplayer mode is also available too! This holds the most issues in the game, but will last you even more time. All the servers in Minecraft are private, meaning that you'll have to look up which games are free, type in the IP address of the server, and only then be able to play games. The process is frustrating, and so is making a server (which is free, but needs downloads and looking up to be able to make one), but it pays off when you finally get a game. There are varying player versus player and co-op gametypes that will keep you and your friends entertained together, and all can be found on the Internet. The addition of voice chat would be welcomed, and it isn't yet in the game as of the time this review was written, but a chat bar is sufficient enough. Overall, though, Minecraft is a stand-out multiplayer game. 8.5/10

Altogether, Minecraft is a brilliant must-buy for gamers of any age, and really brings something new to the table. Updates are common, and they give definite improvements every time, the art style is great, the gameplay is unique and the game can literally be played forever. Minecraft easily earns a 9/10.
  31. Mar 26, 2013
    Minecraft is genuinely fun, but only at the start. The whole concept of surviving and building seems so fascinating and fresh. So you go out and build a house after a while, and then you realize there isn't much to do after that. The entire sense of survival you felt in the first days of your world is gone as you find yourself surviving without much trouble. I think Minecraft's actually a game for those who are creative- those who imagine huge castles or roller coasters and thus will get quite boring after a while if you don't have a constant intake of these ideas (which is where the mods come in). The community is great- if not oddly overenthusiastic at times and should give you a good time. The graphics have never been a problem to me.
    An 8 for those who are creative and a 6 for those who aren't, so an average of 7 is pretty good.
  32. Mar 23, 2013
    Amazing game! Unending fun, addicting multiplayer, and the ability to be extremely creative make this one of the most memorable and maybe one of the best games of all time. You can put hundreds of hours into Minecraft and still have fun.
  33. Mar 21, 2013
    At first I thought WOW!! Really? I can do anything." And when I did just that...I sat there. Bored, so what did I do? Went online to share it of course. Only to be greeted by obnoxious children, clearly brain dead from playing the game too long and arrogant administrators who just want your cash. While the game is creative it is also pointless and aimless, some of the things i've seen built are magnificent but a lot of them are just uninspired. You feel as if you've just been dropped somewhere and forced to do things, kind of like school really. The "mobs" are at first exciting but they soon become boring and you just don't care anymore. Obviously the graphics is bad and texture packs still don't make any difference but I don't care, its not a graphics reliant game. The "game" has no....gameplay, I would recommend you attend an oriental zen garden class rather than Minecraft, leave all the Minecraft players in their dark caves... Expand
  34. Mar 21, 2013
    Biggest piece of garbage I have ever seen. How this got so many buys leaves me very confused. Sucks. Worst thing ever. You play it for an until you have everything and then... you can't do anything. Mods... they all suck.
  35. Mar 21, 2013
    I have been with Minecraft for most of development, and I must say it has gone a long way. Minecraft is a game like no other, the creative potential is unlimited. You can play the survival mode, witch is harder now on Hard mode, or you can get into creative and build anything you can imagine! Multiplayer works smoothly now, and the community online gets better by the day. The game has changed drastically, and I believe for the better. Minecraft is the single best game I have ever played, and I have played a lot. In my opinion, this game; no, this masterpiece, will live forever. Expand
  36. Mar 20, 2013
    Very fun, the things you can do in this game are practically endless. Well, almost. Cool game to play if you have nothing else to do, or if you just want to mess around in Multiplayer with your friends.
  37. Mar 17, 2013
    Minecraft is a great game. Ia would recommend this game whether you are a hardcore gamer or just someone who is looking for a game just to kick back and relax. Some people may think that this game gets a bit boring but that is why there are tons of mods to experiment with.
  38. Mar 14, 2013
    1. This game is awesome.
    2. Bad graphics? Use a texture pack.
    3. Repetitive gameplay? Get a mod.
    4. The great thing about Minecraft- it can be bended and warped to your will.
    5. This game is awesome.
  39. Mar 11, 2013
    Minecraft Is the best game ever. In all seriousness it is addictive and i have been playing it for 4 years now, you can never run out of things to create and one of my best memories in gaming is the first time i ever played it you have no idea what anything does and the first night is terrifying. Pitch black with odd noises. Also it is a huge part of the gaming community, Without Minecraft there would be no Yogscast, no Sips and Sjin no Nerdcubed no totalbiscuit, pretty much all gaming channels started big by playing Minecraft!!!!! Expand
  40. Mar 11, 2013
    Minecraft is one of those games where you decide what to do, but this time, you decide literally EVERYTHING. Want to make a farm? Go ahead, make one! Want to live in a cave? Go live in a cave! Want to make a big-ass castle? Why not! How about a spaceship? I mean, who doesn't like spaceships! The freedom in this game makes it the best experience you could have!
  41. Mar 8, 2013
    I've always like free-form "games", and minecraft is exactly that.

It is deceptively simple in its complexity. Or perhaps its simplicity is truly complex.
  42. Mar 8, 2013
    I'll admit that Minecraft is a generally enjoyable game, but as a standalone title, it's a little underwhelming. The game almost relies on mods to stay interesting, whereas the base game honestly gets old pretty fast. The singleplayer "campaign" is rather dull, but the game's redemption comes into the light with the multiplayer avaliable. Plenty of servers are up 24/7, and I personally know 3 people who own their own. However, servers are still only interesting with mods, and as a base game, there's only so much you can do.
    In terms of standalone games, I'd recommend Terraria much more. However, if you're willing to put up with the installation of 30+ mods just to make the game better, I'd recommend this.
  43. Mar 1, 2013
    Minecraft is as simple or as complex as you want to make it. There is really no "end" to the game, the possibilities are endless. You can gather, build and see different areas of the game to collect all the achievements if you wish or you can build, mod, explore and multiplayer is a whole other realm by itself.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about features and how the
    developers are "full of themselves" they release an update weekly called "weekly snapshots". They contain bugs and are works in progress but that is the whole idea behind Minecraft it is a work in progress. It always will be. Unlike other open world games like GTA, there is always more coming. The only limitation to this game is yourself and if the game doesn't have a feature, there is most likely a mod that does. Expand
  44. Feb 24, 2013
    Minecraft is one of the best game i have ever played. It's fun to create EVERYTHING beyond your imagination. If other game was developed by hundreds of people, this one, has been developed by a single person, Notch. His game is completely awesome. There are some bugs/glitches, though, but it will be fixed soon. It's really worth buying it.
  45. Feb 21, 2013
    Great game overall. Frequently updated and improved and many new blocks added regularily adding up to the amount of clever contraptions and machines you can build. Great pastime and quite addicting.
  46. Feb 16, 2013
    This game has made one of the biggest impacts on the gaming world as we know it. its a simple game full of family fun and boxes it doesn't really have much of a story line but i haven't herd any complaints about that. This game is truly consuming... just one more block just one more block!
  47. Feb 14, 2013
    Minecraft was a very fun game. It quickly became boring during the full release phase. It just doesn't have that feeling of adventure and creativity anymore from recent patches. They didn't add much to the game.
  48. Feb 14, 2013
    minecraft is a fun game to dip into a few times but it lacks the depth of other games for example after 30 minutes of exploring you realise that there is not much to it and i guess after that it just becomes boring
  49. Feb 14, 2013
    best game ever.It was able to become my favorite game and ive never even actually played it that makes that kind of feat impressive its not only fun to play but also to watch
  50. Feb 12, 2013
    The best way to describe Minecraft is a piece of paper. You may look at it and say there's nothing to do here but you can also say there's everything to do here. There are little if any limits of what Minecraft can achieve. A sandbox experience like no other.
  51. Feb 10, 2013
    I started playing Minecraft almost from the start. I enjoyed single-player a lot. After some months of playing, single-player aspect started to get boring. Then I got familiar with huge variety of Minecraft mods. They made the game interesting again. And that is one of the main keys why Minecraft can still be very entertaining for me.
    Of course, time goes by and even mods didn't made
    single-player interesting. Ithe end Multiplayer is still keeping me playing Minecraft. Multiplayer in Minecraft is really fun to play with others, way funnier than single-player. Bukkit is a good way making your server custom and even more fun.
    Minecraft's community is what makes this game entertaining. I really don't mind how rarely MC updates can sometimes come because I am relying into server plugins and mods.
    Minecraft's gameplay won't lack when you have good community or friends to play with. Even when you are full of resources or you have beaten the ender dragon. There is endless possibilites that you can do next!
    Minecraft is very entertaining game but need's more interesting features into single-player. Minecraft is becoming into just a multiplayer game for me but it's still the same game that I loved when I started to play Minecraft Alpha.
  52. Feb 3, 2013
    An interesting concept that comes with MANY flaws, and is as boring as hell.
    Minecraft is quite a revolutionary game that attracted tens of millions of players from around the world. Once you get past the fact that the graphics are absolutely terrible, Minecraft is actually quite an addicting game. In Minecraft, you can build just about anything. From a dirt house to a functioning
    Television, the possibilities are basically infinite. The multiplayer is extremely fun. Minecraft is a great way to hang out with friends online in a casual setting.
    However, Minecraft has terrible gameplay outside of building. You generally have no sense of progression, and reaching the "end game" only takes about a week to do. The minecraft community is terrible. I mean, i don't think i even have to explain that. The music in Minecraft is awful, and generally, It's really a boring game.
    The most points i can give Minecraft is about 6/10, but the fact that is is a complete ripoff drops it down to a 5 for me.
  53. Feb 1, 2013
    I was always hearing my friends say "oh minecraft is so awesome i love it" so I figured it couldn't be THAT bad if everyone said that BOY was I wrong, I started out trying survival mode I got bored of that in 5 minutes and the crafting system was so different that i had to look up how to craft things because there was no tutorial or anything to tell you ANYTHING about the game.then i decided i would try creative mode and make some stuff and it is not a bad game if you want to do that but i went back to terraria in 40 min because that actually has good combat also i couldn't play with my friend because it was so hard to figure out his REAL IP address and join it all in all i wish i could get my 20$ back Expand
  54. Jan 21, 2013
    after seeing the review total of a 7.1 i was confused how it could be so low, but then i realised thats what it truly was. If i were to say minecraft was not and incredible game i would be lieing, but the key word there is WAS. Minecraft started out simple, elegant, and an amazing game. However, the turning point came with the add ons. Alchemy, Enchanting, the end, all it did was hurt minecraft. It was a game that lost its point and turned from a simple peaceful farming game into a tolkin RPG with farming element. Expand
  55. Jan 20, 2013
    Over hyped and designed carelessly, Minecraft may be an icon to the indie gaming industry, but it is not gaming perfection by any means.

Part sandbox game. Part strategy. Part... clicking over and over until your mouse button is worn and your finger hurts. As more Minecraft clones appear, to bank in on the game's success, we see copy-cat developers actually better certain aspects of the
    game in their own redesigns. Even now, the developers behind Minecraft seem to be blindly throwing in new ideas hoping to improve the game by adding to the pile of so-so concepts.

Minecraft certainly wasn't the first block-building indie game, and still not the best. But its combination of monsters, mining, and crafting seems to have hooked a hit with the gaming crowd, in a burst of luck and overexposure through social media. Minecraft has its moments of fun, but is a complete bore without multiplayer interaction. The construction system is reasonably lack-luster and the mining system very much feels like a mind-rotting chore than a fun gaming experience. The crafting system redeems the game, barely holding game play together.

The visuals, though cute, also feel too basic. Is the pixel style an intentional design, or just a half-baked cover up for cheap 3D graphics?

Its too expensive for what it is, and as a sandbox game is reasonably lackluster. Exploration and crafting seem to be the best aspects of Minecraft. Everything in between is a fragile experience.
  56. Jan 17, 2013
    I really don't understand all the hate in this review thread. The game is amazing. With mods, you can really make it look modern, and quite nice. Actually, with mods, you can do just about anything in this game. That is a huge part of what makes it so great. The unique design, addictive gameplay, and the endless amount of creative possibility also add to the greatness. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, and the fact that it is indie is somewhat astronishing. There really is sooo much to do, and it's a fun, calming experience. I love survival mode, which I don't believe they had during the release. Multiplayer with friends is also a lot of fun. Highly recommend this game, Expand
  57. Jan 16, 2013
    Minecraft-PC review

Minecraft is a game that challenges your creativity! Minecraft has been around for a year and has developed so much since its release to the world, back when it was in
  58. Jan 15, 2013
    I first read about Minecraft on IgnorantGamingNews.com, and I was intrigued so I had a go on the basic free version. Though it was completely simplistic, I could see the potential of a full working game built around the principle. I went ahead and bought the full game, and I think it is one of the best value-for-money games out there.

Before I talk about the gameplay, I want to talk
    about the way it is handled by its designer(s). First up, they constantly update the game for free - you make one payment for the game, and then you own it, and you can download subsequent updates without paying! Not just fixing errors and glitches, but adding entirely new things to do in the game. There is no subscription cost, so they appear to be doing it out of love for the game, more than anything else. Second, they listen to feedback from fans, and even incorporate elements that have been created by fans, if they realise they are good enough to be added to the official version. On top of this, the director has said that if you don't feel that Minecraft is worth the money, just pirate it, and if you decide later that it's worth the money, then you can choose to pay if you want. You don't hear that very often these days. So I love the attitude. Of course, you can have a nice bunch of guys make a game, but who gives a **** if the game plays like a bag of balls? Luckily that is not the case.

You start the game up and you can choose either Survival Mode (which is the kind of "standard" mode), or you can choose Creative Mode, which gives you access to everything in the game, like a God Mode, and you can also fly around and do whatever you want. In Survival Mode, you begin with nothing at all, and you spawn on a land mass in the wilderness. First thing you notice is that the game generates the landscape as you move through it (though once it is generated, it is permanent). This means that your game experience will be unique to everyone else's - and if you start a new game, it will be different to your first game. You can choose to play Minecraft however you want to. But I advise going to http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Recipes to get an understand of how to make things to help you.

Once you've checked out that list, you will want to dive in and start making things. Most likely you will begin with a wooden pick axe, so that you can mine a bit of stone, so you can make stone tools. Stronger material makes better tools, which mine quicker, and last longer before breaking, as well as being able to give you access to more kinds of materials that you can't mine with an inferior tool. So once you have a stone axe, trees are easy to take down, and you can mine through stone to find coal and iron ore with your stone pick axe. You can also make a stone sword to fend off baddies - such as zombies, giant spiders and exploding monsters.

Finding coal is important to start with, to make torches, because it will get dark pretty quick, and as well as not being able to see what you're doing, baddies will spawn in dark places and kill you fairly swiftly (especially early in the game when you don't have much to defend yourself with). You should also make yourself a shelter, to hide up and make a treasure chest to save all the goodies you've found. It is satisfying to make your first little hideout, whether it's a wooden hut, a cave you happen to come across, or a hole in the ground leading to a little tunnel. There is a feeling of safety and personality that is not present in other games. You feel like it's "yours", and as you start to furnish it and dig out new rooms, or put flooring down, you turn a hostile world into a pleasant environment. You can make a door or a trapdoor on the entrance to stop enemies just walking in. Also important is making a bed - they act as checkpoints or spawn points, so when you are killed, you will respawn at the last bed you slept in, rather than always having to respawn at the place you spawned at the very beginning of the game.

From this point on, your imagination is really your limit. Do you want to explore and see what the land is like, and find all kinds of terrain ranging from snowy mountains, to deserts and swamps? Do you want to go mining and dig into some caves and look for gold, diamonds, ruins, dungeons and treasure? Do you want to hunt enemies, and loot them for their unique items? Do you want to build a castle, or a tree house? Do you want to build traps to catch enemies automatically? Do you want to build a water slide, or a roller coaster? Do you want to make a safe area by making it light up with torches, then build a village or even a city? Do you want to build an underground tunnel system? Do you want to build a railway system? Do you want to build a farm and raise animals? Do you want to grow plants and fruits? Do you want to see how high you can build, or how deep you can dig? It's basically like a giant playground, a giant wilderness where you can build whatever you want.
  59. Jan 14, 2013
    5sec played, and deleted! BAD game with bad graphic! Also Bad AI( "While this game is fun at first, it quickly loses it's steam" good word bro! Good idea...but... bad(
  60. Jan 13, 2013
    After playing minecraft now for more than two years, I can finally say that the game is beginning to take a turn for the worse. The game as completely changed, and into something most people don't enjoy. One reason I am being so critical here is the change in sound whenever you hit a brick. It just doesn't feel right to hear that sound instead of the one I used to know. I just don't see a point in continuing to try to change the game anymore than they already have, there is not much more they can add to improve the games mechanics and features at all. I enjoyed the days where minecraft was a game where you were not forced to eat almost all the time. Now they are making it more "realistic", which I can see makes the game more challenging. Realism also attracts more people to play the game. I am really tongue tied on this one, and I really don't have a clue what I want to say about this game anymore. It went from being excellent, to now it's starting to get boring. They need to improve it for the better instead of the worse, and they need to do it quick before they lose a lot of fans, and players. When I got a new computer, I had intentions of having a good time playing it. The worse had already happened though, it changed. I am going to give this a score that I just need to give, and I recommend giving it a try, but don't expect too much from what used to be the original minecraft. Expand
  61. Jan 12, 2013
    Minecraft is a revolutionary game, sure it dosent have the best graphics and some of it feels unpolished but that dosent hurt the whole package there are thousands of mods and texturepacks theyre super eazy to install, the game is updated frequently in wich updates add new mobs items dungeons fixes or things to do i dont care what anyone says Notch hasent gone money hungry when he got married if you bought minecraft you got another 1 for a freind Expand
  62. Jan 12, 2013
    Minecraft is a fun indie sandbox game that started out as a no-physic limited map generation game and video quality and throughout it's history this game has become increasingly better. Fun for all ages, this game is both a realistic and creativity-challenging game with good fictional content and also good graphics. I enjoy this game and have finished it too.
  63. Jan 10, 2013
    Minecraft is everything but vanilla. It's simple and it's a brilliant idea with brilliant gameplay. But vanilla Minecraft only gets boring fast and after you've lost your steam to play this game it's not coming back because it hasn't got anything more to offer. This is where the community comes in and honestly, the community made the game into what it is today. Suddenly it goes beyond brilliant; it's endless now. The texture packs, mods and custom maps spice up the game so much. All those things saved the game for me. This new Minecraft by the community is addictive and the end is still far, far away. The developers of the game deserve respect but they also need to bow down to the people who turned their game into something so incredibly infinite and awesome while giving it the popularity it has today. Expand
  64. Jan 9, 2013
    My new favorite game. Once you get over the fact that it isn't a fast paced game and that yes, everything is made of blocks, will you understand the true splendor of Minecraft. My recommendation is find a good server that you enjoy playing on and make some friends on their - it will be worth it. You can find servers on the minecraft forums.
  65. Jan 9, 2013
    I love this game, however it has a lot of potential to become much better. At first it's a lot of fun just digging and building houses, but that gets quite boring after a while. Luckily there are a lot of talented adventure map makers out there to bring minecraft to another level, not to mention the mod makers, which makes this game incredibly versatile. It's basically up to yourself want you this game to be. Expand
  66. Jan 9, 2013
    At first, my interpretation of Minecraft was... wait what? What am I doing? Then, as we went through Beta, I eventually got the hang of it. The lack of guides is there to intall a sense of community in the game and it's surely worked. The amount of things that you can do in the game are quite incredible and playing online (either via lan or on a server) is incredibly fun. It get's its high score not for the gameplay, not for the aesthetics, but for the amount of things anyone can actually do. A game that gives you this much freedom is very much unseen in this day and age. Expand
  67. Jan 4, 2013
    10/10 Cannot be a game based off of creativity. This game has great concepts and great gameplay. Multiplayer becomes endless. Building can go on for centuries. You never truely run out of things to do. You may run out of creative things to create in the time you play. But all and all i think this game deserves what it has. Its a very nice game.
  68. Jan 2, 2013
    The positives: You need a LOT of split second timing to successfully play this. It's a bit like having two seconds being with a cobra in a cage before he bites you. It also frustrates you, which I let out into anger, like what most people should do. Don't hold things in for too long, or it will have a significant impact n how you review this awesome, block-building voxel masterpiece of a video game. Mixed: *blank* The negatives:
    The developers of Minecraft, Mojang AB/Studios release a new update every
  69. Jan 1, 2013
    This game is sure to be a standard in video game history. It has no limits, truly, to what you can accomplish. although down the road it does become monotonous and repetitive, the fact that this game is raw creation makes it a very powerful game and tool.
  70. Dec 31, 2012
    This game is truly a wonder of 8-bit gaming, I mean who doesn't like donkey kong or super mario bros? If you want an older 8-bit feel with a touch of 3D than this is the game for you, easy to learn and the mobs are easy to fight, plenty of mods to make the game better. The only problem ive had with it is it gets boring after awhile, but all games do.
  71. Dec 30, 2012
    I baught this game about 2 years ago. I loved every secound of it, i could never wait to get out of scool just to play it! i wanted to do everything, collect every block, kill every zombie, sheep, spider, craft everything, build a cool house and i did! but there was something that allways made me stop playing. something that made me loose intrest. I ussaly started a new game every time i played but i never knew why... now i know. this game is pointless. there is no point in anything you do. you can kill all the zombies collect all the blocks build as many houses as you want but it will now feel rewarding in any way. it seems that most people look at the ultamate goal of this game to collect damounds. and what do you do with them? MAKE A FREAKING DIAMOUND PIC? and what do you do after that? look for more diamounds. that's all there was to this game just collect stuff. there was little no notheng you could do with all the most rare things like gold, iron and diamounds besides buiding more tools to get more diamounds. but they've updated the game a lot but it fells like every update has made the game easier! the hunger gave you regenerating hp the sprinting made it possible to run from spiders the armor update made the armor last at least 10X more and the list goes on. even with all these updates there is still notheng to do in this game. all you do is collect rare items. it's sad rly that this game is so popular. i'm gona talk about some of the updates: the enchantment table interduced an rpg element to the game where by you kill enemys and anamals and get ep to gain levels. you use the levels to upgrade you weapons and armor but this is so pointless it's sad. the only way to level up is to grind zombie after zombie, skellaton after skellaton ec. and what do you get fro this grind? better gear. what's the point? you are able to defend your self just fine without enchantments and there is not rly any monster you need to fight. keep in mind it's hard to explain why this game is so bad and i'm trying to explain it as best i can. there is also multyplayer but that's just as pointless. in multyplayer you are just doing the same pointless thinks with a friend. you can build a house and collect diamounds but that's pointless. it feels like minecraft doesn't know what kind of game it is. is it a survival game? is it a fighting game? is it an rpg? is it a building game? it is all and none of those things. it does not know what it is suposed to be and these "updates" are making the game worse if anything. i think that the thing i tought the most when playing the game is "what should i do now?" i never knew what to do because there is no goal! the game is pointless! there are bad games out there many worse than this one but they all have a point where you start, something you have to do, and a point where you end the game and win. i know there are mods for the game and i've moded the crap out of minecraft many times but even with them the game still feels emty. you can get a mod that adds more monsters to fight but there is no reward for fighting. you can get a mod that lets you create a mineing mechene but there is no point in mineing you can get a mod to give you airplanes to fly around and explore the worl. but there is no point in exploring! THIS GAME HAS NOOOO POINT! NO REWARD FOR DOING ANYTHING! they would have to do a lot to make this game fun for me witch i dubt they will do, now they're trying to relese this pointless game on more platforms to get more money. what do they do with it??? they have so much money! how can they not make this game better when they have soooo much money?!!? one last thing, there is also potion making but that only involves grinding the nether for some crap for hours only to get some potion witch you have no use for since the monsters are rly not that hard to kill. this game is pointless if you don't agree with me feel free to tell me why, i want to hear what you have to say. sorry for the typos. Expand
  72. Dec 29, 2012
    Minecraft is the best game on the PC. Building for free is great and Survival is excellent. I thought because it was pixelated it was bad but when i played it it was satisfying and really excellent fun
  73. Dec 22, 2012
    Is quite a bit of fun at first. Especially if played with friends but it gets old fairly quickly. Even with mods and creative mode, I didn't put any more than 20 hours with this game. I wanted to like it (many of my friends play it) but it seems the objective of the game is to build things just to look at them. That concept is fun for a while but won't keep you coming back for more
  74. Dec 22, 2012
    Proud to be playing since Alpha builds! A true inspiration to any indie developers. This has truly embraced open sandbox, you can literally do whatever you want, I've spent days on this just building with the blocks they give you, using survival techniques to build your house, or using the brilliant redstone mechanics to create new contraptions, worth your money, I'd buy it again if only to support Mojang. Only a lost point on unnecessary recent updates, and leaving the game un-optimized in Java (They didn't lose a point for that as it would be an unfair judgement). Expand
  75. pxl
    Dec 20, 2012
    A game that has kept my entertained for around 2 years. I can always refer back to this game when the boredom sets in, if that refers to playing one of its many mods like Tekkit or The Aether, or just playing survival with Vanilla Minecraft. Then if I feel like mixing it up a bit, I'll refer to the forums and go play one of the thousands upon thousands of player created adventure/parkour maps. The interactivity Minecraft has was brilliantly devised and its nice to have tools at your disposal. Well done to the people that made Minecraft what it is today, which in my opinion, means the community. The mods and the maps make this game what it is, and Standard un-modded Minecraft is also a fun game. Thanks for the good game Notch, and thanks to the community, for keeping my entertained for hours on end. Expand
  76. Dec 18, 2012
    Absolutely amazing game. If you don't like this game, you're probably extremely impatient. Even if you get bored of the game, there are countless mods to spice it up. A work of art and a must-have for any gamer.
  77. Dec 16, 2012
    Good game, but not technically. The game offers a nice gameplay for the first 4 hours. Then, it becomes boring and you have to play multiplayer. Multiplayer is good, and offers some plugins feature, but it can't be a very good multiplayer, since the game isn't that competitive.
  78. Dec 11, 2012
    This is the best game ever made. I have played it for more than 3000 hours and i haven't even begun to get bored of it. You can do whatever you want! Who the hell doesn't like that?
  79. Dec 10, 2012
    This game expands the creativity of the gamer to a whole new, breathtaking level. It has great music, controls, and a simple design. You can build anything you want and it makes you feel all the better because you made it, you earned it, you work for it.
  80. Dec 8, 2012
    Minecraft is a great game and is a unique fun experience. for the price you get a massive amount of content (its basically endless) you have to try it out for yourself to really understand what the game is about. there are problems with the game for example, the ending is pretty bad, a game like Minecraft didn't need any type of ending and that one we got was bad. the boss fight was cool but you could only take on the ender dragon once, it would have been better if you could re fight the boss and maybe get some cool loot like new ender armour. The final problem with the game in my option is the multiplier, it is a pain in the arse to set up, Mojang should try to make the multiplier easy to set up and use. Expand
  81. Dec 7, 2012
    The best minecraft version is, hands down, 1.7. All versions above that suck. Mojang just ruined the game with RPG stuff and **** and released the game in a BUGGY STATE.
  82. Dec 4, 2012
    Wow! This is cyberspace...and its square. Minecraft is the most truly ground-breaking game of it's time. It offers emergent game-play, a consistent challenge, huge variety and it rewards creativity. It is the only game in existence in which each of the players is able to modify the very terrain and fabric of the world. Minecraft is the first game that functions as an in-game world-editor that lets the players co-create both architecture and adventures. Constantly expanding and versatile enough to create 3-D sculptures that are also working digital-logic circuits. If you don't like Minecraft you must be boring or unimaginative. ; ] Also...try to get over the whole 'cube' thing as there would be no other way to achieve such an ambitious game-style. Truly revolutionary. Expand
  83. Nov 29, 2012
    This game never called me, just when a friend told me to give it a try i checked it out. At the beginning i got addicted to it but after playing some hours i got bored. This game at the beginning is fun, finding your first diamond but . . . it ends soon. The good thing in this game are the constant updates and the mods made by players. I think the game is expensive for what it is. The graphics suck ba***. The first thing i noticed is the horrible graphics that almost made my eyes suicide when i saw people actually playing this but overall is not a bad game, maybe with a little more of story and more development it could have been a great game, who knows? Expand
  84. Nov 27, 2012
    It's really hard to review a game like Minecraft because Minecraft is a game of what you make of it. The only limits in this game are the limits of your own imagination. Graphically, in Vanillia, it's hard to rate. The simple blocky graphics are charming and endearing to some (myself included) whereas super ugly to others. But if you find the vanillia graphics ugly, download and install one of the plethora of user made texture packs. I guess it is easy to criticize the simple combat mechanices, but again, this game is what you make of it. Most Minecraft hardcores don't play the game to have a fight, we play the game to build and socialize (if playing on a server). Any review is going to be 100% biased based on the users personal experience with the game. What I'm trying to get across is don't listen to any of these reviews. If you're interested, buy the game and play it for yourself, and create your own experience. This game is a breath of fresh air in today's gaming industry, and I can wholeheartedly recommend that you at least give it a try. Expand
  85. Nov 26, 2012
    This game has kept me entertained for almost 2 years now, and was well worth the 7,50
  86. Nov 25, 2012
    I love everything about this game. I bought it at the Alpha stage and was pretty amazed. No such game has so much freedom. Yeah, Notch became money hungry, but he does not work on it anymore. Instead Dinnerbone is a really awesome guy and you notice that he loves to develop it. All updates were and are awesome. The updates only added things you don't NEED to use. You don't like enchanting? Don't use it. You don't like the bosses? Don't kill them. Easy as that. I still love the RPG-like elements. They add progression to the game. At the Alpha versions you got diamonds... that's it.

I love everything about it. Just be aware of that not everybody can enjoy it. Some people can't play games without a main quest or something. :D 10/10
  87. Nov 21, 2012
    Probably the best game i've ever played. its so good... I love the music and the multiplayer is amazing, however making a server takes a sh*tload of time. overall a fantastic game.
  88. Nov 13, 2012
    This is just a lego game simulator, this "game" is really boring even on multiplayer, and costs 20$, I know that the pixel graphics are "normal" but they are incredibly bad.
  89. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a good game, but Terraria is better. What to do after you beat enderdragon? Sit around punching creepers with a stick? It is still a good game, but I prefer Terraria more... Expand
  90. Nov 8, 2012
    Minecraft is an amazing game. Infinite, procedurally-generated terrain, that makes the game never ending and forever entertaining. It gives you the opportunity to build anything and everything, except circles. It has redstone that allows for circuitry to make amazing machines, survival version to make it challenging, and an almost infinite modding capability for those who figure it out.
  91. Nov 5, 2012
    The game is quite good. Vanilla gets boring in about a month. But all the mods, maps, texture packs etc etc is what makes the game have a huge re-playability. But vanilla could get boring fastly, so try some mods and maps. Could be really fun. Oh and multiplayer with a few friends always makes more fun.
  92. Nov 5, 2012
    Great game but gets boring. The thing that keeps me playing are the mods. Technic is one of them (mod pack) Adds so many new things to the game that makes it awesome. I don't know how people can give this below a 6. The graphics are supposed to be like that. Why do you think they allow texture packs? Anywhere from 1x1 to 512x512.
  93. Nov 5, 2012
    Minecraft is fun and very different experience from most games, but it finds itself in a very odd position however, It finds itself in between a game and a sandbox editor. The game doesn't have much direction to it and while this is fun at first, the game gets progressively less fun when you get the hang of it. The problem is generally remedied by the numerous mods that are released for it, but until mod support is officially implemented I cannot give the developer any credit for it. Overall, vanilla Minecraft doesn't really really have much going for it, but it serves as a great building block (no pun intended) for mods, which is where the game redeems itself. Expand
  94. Oct 29, 2012
    The pinnacle of emergent gameplay. The graphics don't matter, not in this case. The game is as good as you want it to be, nobody with a creative bone can find it boring. It's not "addictive" in the sense an MMO or a Facebook game can be addicting, it pushes the inventive buttons in the player's head and makes him want to outdo him/herself all the time, to improve his/her creations, to make new landmarks or embark on new expeditions. In addition to that, the game is continuously evolving, adding more objects and items to change the game world with. There's a reason why many call it "revolutionary". Expand
  95. Oct 18, 2012
    Who the heck releases a game in it's unfinished state which such hype behind it. I'm not talking about the alpha and beta releases(all of which i played), i'm talking about the 1.0 version of the game.
  96. Oct 17, 2012
    17OCT2012 - At first I thought to myself "Why am I playing this crappy looking game?" Then about nine hours later I was addicted and asked myself "Why am I still playing this crappy looking game?" If your criteria for judging a video game is based on graphics then this game would receive a low score. However for fun and re-playability this game receives a perfect score. The world in Minecraft is massive. So massive that if you started running in one direction 24/7, you would reach the end of the world in a little over three months real time. With each patch the game gets better. Multiplayer is where the real fun is at. Cooperative gameplay or player vs player makes for a great LAN party game. Highly recommended. Expand
  97. Oct 2, 2012
    The FACEBOOK of level design. Facebook, and before that MySpace and web"blogs", made having your own 'webpage' available to everyone. Minecraft makes level or map design available to everyone. In the past this was limited to people who could understand the design tools for a given game. They've simplified it enough that everyone can create, and the people flocked to them, in some cases not even sure why they loved this 'game' so much. Guitar Hero tapped in to that for music. The question we should each be asking ourselves is probably: what's the next creative activity that we can make so brain-dead simple, that we'll all want to do it? Because like my friend Thomas is fond of saying, "this isn't really a game, it's a system for tapping into a deep seated cognitive bias: that we all want to create."

Perhaps story writing can be simplified further. In a way, blogs, D&D, TheSims, Civilization, and Neverwinter nights have made that possible, but it isn't yet easy enough to link words, and music, and visual content. So are you going to be the next multimillionaire? Hopefully this will inspire someone.

(What shall we call it? Storycraft? BookBook? :))
  98. Sep 30, 2012
    If I could award a score of 11 I would. Minecraft is in a league of its own and that's because its designer is in a league of his own. Its pure class, coming from a background of games development I can see this for what it truly is and its a masterpiece of fantastic design from start to finish. Its not finished. Perhaps it will never be finished. Try modding skyrim to emulate minecraft, its not possible as from the beginning Notch had a vision that entailed a world that had depth but also included an amazingly random world. Its open and its above what every developer puts out today, buy it love it or your a slave to the corporations. SUPPORT FOR INDIE DEVS.! Expand
  99. Sep 29, 2012
    The game is quite fun, but once you finish survival, it gets a bit dull unless you can find new things to do. It's still a great game, and allows you to be creative.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]