7.4

1. Nov 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a good game, but Terraria is better. What to do after you beat enderdragon? Sit around punching creepers with a stick? It is still a good game, but I prefer Terraria more... Expand
  2. Nov 25, 2012
    I love everything about this game. I bought it at the Alpha stage and was pretty amazed. No such game has so much freedom. Yeah, Notch became money hungry, but he does not work on it anymore. Instead Dinnerbone is a really awesome guy and you notice that he loves to develop it. All updates were and are awesome. The updates only added things you don't NEED to use. You don't like enchanting? Don't use it. You don't like the bosses? Don't kill them. Easy as that. I still love the RPG-like elements. They add progression to the game. At the Alpha versions you got diamonds... that's it.

I love everything about it. Just be aware of that not everybody can enjoy it. Some people can't play games without a main quest or something. :D 10/10
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    This game has kept me entertained for almost 2 years now, and was well worth the 7,50
  4. Jan 9, 2013
    I love this game, however it has a lot of potential to become much better. At first it's a lot of fun just digging and building houses, but that gets quite boring after a while. Luckily there are a lot of talented adventure map makers out there to bring minecraft to another level, not to mention the mod makers, which makes this game incredibly versatile. It's basically up to yourself want you this game to be. Expand
  5. Jan 9, 2013
    My new favorite game. Once you get over the fact that it isn't a fast paced game and that yes, everything is made of blocks, will you understand the true splendor of Minecraft. My recommendation is find a good server that you enjoy playing on and make some friends on their - it will be worth it. You can find servers on the minecraft forums.
  6. Feb 10, 2013
    I started playing Minecraft almost from the start. I enjoyed single-player a lot. After some months of playing, single-player aspect started to get boring. Then I got familiar with huge variety of Minecraft mods. They made the game interesting again. And that is one of the main keys why Minecraft can still be very entertaining for me.
    Of course, time goes by and even mods didn't made
    single-player interesting. Ithe end Multiplayer is still keeping me playing Minecraft. Multiplayer in Minecraft is really fun to play with others, way funnier than single-player. Bukkit is a good way making your server custom and even more fun.
    Minecraft's community is what makes this game entertaining. I really don't mind how rarely MC updates can sometimes come because I am relying into server plugins and mods.
    Minecraft's gameplay won't lack when you have good community or friends to play with. Even when you are full of resources or you have beaten the ender dragon. There is endless possibilites that you can do next!
    Minecraft is very entertaining game but need's more interesting features into single-player. Minecraft is becoming into just a multiplayer game for me but it's still the same game that I loved when I started to play Minecraft Alpha.
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    Minecraft was a very fun game. It quickly became boring during the full release phase. It just doesn't have that feeling of adventure and creativity anymore from recent patches. They didn't add much to the game.
  8. Feb 21, 2013
    Great game overall. Frequently updated and improved and many new blocks added regularily adding up to the amount of clever contraptions and machines you can build. Great pastime and quite addicting.
  9. Mar 1, 2013
    Minecraft is as simple or as complex as you want to make it. There is really no "end" to the game, the possibilities are endless. You can gather, build and see different areas of the game to collect all the achievements if you wish or you can build, mod, explore and multiplayer is a whole other realm by itself.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about features and how the
    developers are "full of themselves" they release an update weekly called "weekly snapshots". They contain bugs and are works in progress but that is the whole idea behind Minecraft it is a work in progress. It always will be. Unlike other open world games like GTA, there is always more coming. The only limitation to this game is yourself and if the game doesn't have a feature, there is most likely a mod that does. Expand
  10. Mar 8, 2013
    I've always like free-form "games", and minecraft is exactly that.

It is deceptively simple in its complexity. Or perhaps its simplicity is truly complex.
  11. Mar 26, 2013
    Minecraft is genuinely fun, but only at the start. The whole concept of surviving and building seems so fascinating and fresh. So you go out and build a house after a while, and then you realize there isn't much to do after that. The entire sense of survival you felt in the first days of your world is gone as you find yourself surviving without much trouble. I think Minecraft's actually a game for those who are creative- those who imagine huge castles or roller coasters and thus will get quite boring after a while if you don't have a constant intake of these ideas (which is where the mods come in). The community is great- if not oddly overenthusiastic at times and should give you a good time. The graphics have never been a problem to me.
    An 8 for those who are creative and a 6 for those who aren't, so an average of 7 is pretty good.
  12. Mar 28, 2013
    This game is amazing its endless fun and hard to stop playing. If you don't like the main game that's fine just check out some mods. If you don't like the graphics get a texture pack. Over all this is an amazing game.
  13. Apr 2, 2013
    When I first started playing Minecraft it was AMAZING!!!! However, it quickly got boring due to the fact that there is no change. Survive the first night, expand during the day, hide at night, after about 2 months this quickly became repetitive and boring. It became interesting again when I started playing online with a few (3 or 4) friends, but again became very repetitive.
  14. Apr 6, 2013
    I don't really know what to write in here. Minecraft is just awesome. If you are creative, you'll never get out of work and fun! To describe it very short: Minecraft is THE game, I would take to a lonely island!
  15. Apr 20, 2013
    Minecraft is one of these very controversial and heavy opinionated games. I my personal opinion it's one of these games that have a huge impact in the gaming world Never have I seen a voxel based game improve over time as this game If you really look at it for what it's done as a game done to it's players it has brought back the creativity in all of us reviving people's imagination and If you look at it as the game it self well that's your own opinion but it is easy one of those game the I will mention of years to come. It well deserves this praise and if you tell me if this game is unfinished well that's the best thing about it because it your imagination the finishes it. Expand
  16. Apr 29, 2013
    Minecraft is a block-based sandbox game where you can either gather resources, explore randomly-generated terrains and structures, and fight dangerous monsters in survival, or build something amazing in creative. You can also play and view other users creations with adventure mode. Minecraft has limitless potential, with so many features in counting. You can also utilise a small section of features into something extraordinary. To see what has come with 3 years of development, I can't wait to see the future of Minecraft! The game can be a big glitch with certain features and graphical content, and for that reason, I score it a 9. Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2013
    Minecraft, to me, is an amazing game. But I'm not going to make this statement without backing it up. I first started playing minecraft after a friend showed it to me. Back then, it's freedom, pixelated beauty, and atmosphere of mystery and exploration drew me like a magnet. It was a beacon a lighthouse illuminating the horrid state of the games I was playing. I bought the game almost immediately after and right away fell in love. As I was then a newcomer, the community welcomed me. More so than any mainstream multiplier-capable game I've ever played. Instead of rejecting me, treating me like something to be laughed at, I was assisted by other players. Minecraft drew my attention to other great indie games. Far better that the mainstream shooters could ever hope to be. I looked back on the games I had once played with scorn and (mainly) regret. I've found games in the Indie community that can out match any game run by a large company. Some of these games include Kerbal Space Program, Ace Of Spades Classic, Terraria, and much more. I see minecraft as not only a game, but the prominent and most well-known game among the indie game community. I'm sick and tired of on-rail games. They're a thing of the past. Steam has the greenlight service for a reason. I'm among the group of gamers who are tired of games in which the only people that have freedom are the creators, and in which the players are penalized for not adhering to the game's brutal story line of the game. And what if I don't want to fight in an endless and arbitrary war? On-rail games often depict an extraordinary world, yet confine the players to a battlefield often no bigger than that of an airport- and those are the biggest maps I've seen. They offer no degree of freedom, individuality, or creativeness. Minecraft and some other games I've seen in the indie community can often, in my opinion, be classified as art. That is much much more than could be said about some shooters. And when you hate and just can't stand minecraft's pixelated textures, get or make a texture pack. If you get bored of the game play, install a mod or make your own. Minecraft, after all, is only limited by your imagination. Expand
  18. Jun 7, 2013
    Almost perfect game, gives you the option of fully what you want, from amazing buildings to calculators, through games, but it has a very grave problem, the huge amount of bugs it has.
  19. Jun 24, 2013
    One of the most open-ended & fun games I've ever played. I'm a very loyal fan to this constantly evolving and extremely addictive masterpiece. Minecraft is worth every minute of my time and has paid for itself 100 times over (and counting).

The "big companies" need to pay attention to this game: I challenge any one of them to come up with a title this successful. Good luck!
  20. EGB
    Jul 27, 2013
    Minecraft has steered away completely from what it originally was. That original idea is far gone now. The game is now in a confused state where it does not know whether to be an RPG or a Sandbox game. The game is filled up with little useless content.

If only Minecraft focused on adding more content, mechanisms, bug fixing, multiplayer stability, tools, modding possibilities.

Notch,
    you should have listened to yourself and made the game what you originally wanted it to be. Expand
  21. Jul 30, 2013
    Well, as someone who played the game before it became a giant gaming staple, here's what I think:
    Minecraft is a good game, if you can call it that. It really is. It's fun, engaging, creative, and endless. However, Minecraft's many fallacies are covered up by it's community, who seem to worship Mojang as if they're gods.
    Fallacy number 1: It's not a game. It isn't. It's like playing with
    Legos. Sure, you can fight stuff, and fight bosses, but that doesn't make it a game. You can play with Lego figures and make them fight. That doesn't make Lego a game. It's a toybox/sandbox, and really nothing else. The gameplay is repetitive and gets boring after a while.
    Fallacy number 2: Updates. Minecraft's updates used to add new things that build onto the gameplay, not worthless things like more biomes and potions. Minecraft no longer progresses.
    Fallacy number 3 (the BIG one): Community. Minecraft's community sucks, plain and simple. It's full of moronic fanboys who bought the game because it's popular. The defend Minecraft and Mojang with their lives, despite Mojang being uncaring for it's fans.
    So there it is. You may not like it. You may have already disliked this review. I do, however, enjoy Minecraft once in a while. It's not the best game ever as some people say, but it's fun once in a while.
  22. Aug 4, 2013
    Minecraft is utterly amazing, but can get repetitive and eventually boring, yes, but it is also amazingly expandable. you can join or create servers, mods, texture packs/resource packs, and even skins, and there is an endless list of each, if you cannot mod your minecraft there is an endless ammount of modpacks made by people who will happily do it for you if you want, like hexxit, or aether crusade. i would rate it higher but the main and best mechanic of minecraft that keeps it alive are servers and mods, and minecraft has made modding more restrictive and difficult with 1.6. i know notch said it was supposed to be simple, but Mojang really changed that. so 8/10 .add more things to do, dinnerbone, jeb, and notch! Seriously! Add steel! make the nether more inclusive! add more tools and weapons! make the armor look less boring! do something more! it is alive purely by modders! fix that! Expand
  23. Aug 5, 2013
    Minecraft is certainly a revolutionary game that can give you hours of fun, from building to killing and on servers much more, there are also many mods for this game both server side and client side giving to more to do with the game, i my self have reached over 2000 hours of game play, not something you will find with the average game out there, the graphics give that classic gaming feel but if that bores you have a nice list of texture packs to brighten the game up. Expand
  24. Sep 2, 2013
    Best game I've played in a long time. You really cant get more sandbox than this and its addictiveness is rivaled only by FTL. Anyone who though a game needs a story to be good just got proven wrong. Great soundtrack smooth graphics, great A.I and one of the best multiplayer experiences ever. Buy this game.
  25. Sep 7, 2013
    A fantastic idea. The game is well put together. There are lots of things to do, whether you're playing survival mode or creative mode. For me, the best thing about Minecraft is creating my own community, my house and farms. Definitely worth a 9/10.
  26. Sep 29, 2013
    This game is one of the weirdest out there. There's no story. There's no tutorial. The closest thing you can get to "quests" are achievements. So, how did the developers make this game fun? They created a world that tested the player. Games that are made to be beaten are never fun. Games like Minecraft that capitalize on the EXPERIENCE are the games that succeed. Minecraft molds a simple, yet authentic world that exploratory and creative gamers everywhere crave. If the player has these traits (as most should), Minecraft offers your wet dream, come true. It opens doors that other games feared to open, fearing bad publicity. It sucks you in and won't let you out until

With all this, however, the game is not perfect. Lighting errors. Shifty boat/mine cart travel. Lag. Exploits. Filler achievements. (Open inventory. Really? A four-year-old can press the E button). These things can take you out of this gorgeous world and into a mediocre one. Also, certain aspects of the game are hard to grasp by simpler players who also want to explore and create. Not many gamers will "get" how to make some of the game's items or blocks. And don't even get me started on redstone wiring...

However, I am nitpicking by pointing out the lows of this game; it's very awesome (and I don't just mean "cool", I mean "it puts me in awe"). There's literally no end to this game. It does not tell you what you need to do; rather, YOU tell IT what to do. You can change the world, man! If you think that a mountain is in your way, you can blow it to kingdom come with your TNT! If you decide that your house just isn't big enough, you can expand it in any direction! You can literally go to Hell and back! You can RIDE PIGS! You can build the stairway to heaven! You can go as far as you want! THERE IS NO END TO MINECRAFT!
  27. Sep 30, 2013
    This is an excellent game. You will never run out of stuff to do. If you get bored with the default vanilla, try a mod or a custom map.
    There are tons of really awesome mods and custom maps out there. There are custom servers too, with games like Bow spleef, Survival games, The Walls, Super Craft Brothers and a LOT of others.
    Some claim Minecraft is a bad game, because there is not a lot
    to do in vanilla survival. I do admit, that it does get boring. But the point of Minecraft is not just to play vanilla survival. The point of Minecraft is to try mods, custom maps and servers.
    The speciality about Minecraft is that more stuff gets added every few months. Of course you might claim that a lot of games add new purchasable content every month, but Minecraft gives every update for free.
    Those, who claimed that Minecraft is bad in 1.0 (the official "Release"), should try again. Minecraft is never going to be actually "Ready", as more bug fixes and features keep getting added all the time!
    Some claim the ending sucks. The ending of Minecraft is not the main point. It's just a tiny little part of the game.
  28. Oct 2, 2013
    This game is awesome!!! You can build anything in this game in the creative mode, and the survival mode is quite addicting, and you can play with other players too!!
  29. Oct 15, 2013
    First of all, I think people who game this game a bad review on how Mojang is being lazy. They do their job. They release mini releases call SnapShots to give players an insight on the new update, these are released EVERY WEEK!!! Also, the graphics are not the best, This game was not intended to have the best graphics, Alot of bugs have been fixed. In 1.7 they are adding alot of new graphic modifing tools, If you dont like how it looks, Get a resource pack or make one. Expand
  30. Oct 21, 2013
    Minecraft is a good game. Go play it now and be creative. Create your own world and do whatever you want with your blocks and items. It's just... awesome.
  31. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is great, I'm highly addicted to it so don't get me wrong with lower than excellent rating. Not really mod friendly, or, not mod community friendly. Apparently the java is a devil to code with b/c each update requires mod overhauls; the mod websites are plagued with malicious coding to lure people to install browser hi-jacking software. How is this relevant you ask? Steam has a wonderful mod installation/update method, so at this phase in the games history, a Mahjong approval system is really a must, b/c this game can keep the entertainment flowing with a little more flavor in the vanilla. Expand
  32. Nov 12, 2013
    it is an spectacular game. awesome grafics, awesome monsters, awesome materials, just one thing i dont like. to play multiplayer you need to pay 20 dollars!??! I know not all games are free but minecraft doesnt have a long gameplay. so 20 dollars is too much.
  33. Dec 20, 2013
    Is one of the best games i ever played. The graphics are pretty nice but the gameplay is the center of the game. IT'S AWESOME. But there is a problem in this game: there are a lot of 5-6 years old kids playing this game bad players. The updates are really heavy
  34. Dec 22, 2013
    Très bon jeux un peu répétitif. Le seul but de ce jeux est de briser et placer des blocs. Je suis tané de passer mes journées miner, et quand je vais sur des serveurs muti, ca lag parce que j'ai 2Go de ram (je fais du 10 fps en solo et du 2 fps en multi). Mais en solo, très fluide!!!!!!
  35. Dec 26, 2013
    Let's start by saying this game is pretty good. The building is easy and looks good. You can add mods to change parts of the game. Modding is very easy to do. Multiplayer keeps you playing for a long time. Generally, most of the mobs are somewhat difficult. It also allows for many different ways to play such as adventure maps, multiplayer custom gamemodes, and more. Anyone starting this game would certainly enjoy it, and for a long time. But let's get to the bad.

Why this game is also pretty bad. First off, gameplay. When I am at the diamond age, what is there to do? Sure there is building, but making buildings gets boring after some time, and really doesn't do much. Sure there are bosses, such as the Ender Dragon (Boring: Swoops down every 5 minutes, and has the knockback of the devil) and the Wither (interesting, but the beacons just make the game more boring and easy: Pretty difficult to kill, gathering the materials needed to make the wither can be extremely annoying and boring), but the ender dragon barely gives you anything that is needed, and the Wither drops a star to make the beacon which makes a easy game even easier. Sure there is multiplayer, but seriously, it does get boring after a long time (Like all games do when you overplay them). Sure there are mods, but that isn't part of the game, and most make the game even easier. Sure there are new updates, which aren't very interesting, and add mostly annoying things to the game, and the developers aren't so nice/good. Take Jeb for example which says "If you don't like the game, then don't play it." Why is that bad to say? Because that means he doesn't care, and wants money since he already knows you bought the game. Then he takes bad community output from players who don't care for gameplay and want a game that is easy. I'm not even going to get into recent updates. Disgusting.

Overall, I enjoyed the game a lot, and it started a new style for gaming and graphics.
  36. Dec 29, 2013
    I love Minecraft, I love it for how open it is and how much you can actually do. I'm more of a fan of the creative and the building side of things. This game is great for that! With free upcoming updates every few months increasing the features, items and blocks. People who tend not to like minecraft usually do not play for long enough. You have to build to a certain level until you cannot stop and admire your creation. Minecraft also carry's what other of its followers do not. The ability to create various contraptions using a redstone system (A wiring type of system) alongside rails and other tools to help you implement uses into things you make. I already give this a 10 just for that. That isn't all, it includes survival and multiplayer in which is huge with it's own game modes, RPGs and survivals. I'm sure I haven't covered everything but from my experience it is one of my favorite games. Expand
  37. Dec 31, 2013
    I have played Minecraft since the early Alpha stages, and the game is amazing and has been all the way through my experience. The people who do not call this a full game do not know what they are talking about because as far as i know over 13 Million people think it is. (that's how many have bought the game) It's classic, it's creative and it's a great way to spend a rainy day or a whole holiday! It's great fun alone or with friends. The only thing that i can complain about is how it became after it's release, the game was at it's top around the Beta 1.6 time. Expand
  38. Jan 2, 2014
    This game is the best game of all time in my opinion, from the Alpha which was back in the day a fantastic game alone, it just kept on getting better through Beta and now in full release it is still being updated and content being added which is just one of the reasons this is the only 10/10 I have ever given. All the mod packs and mods which have been made from this game such as Technic and Feed the Beast have just added so much more replayability. The moving soundtrack fits absolutely perfectly with the game and is still being added to. The soundtrack is slow, calm and has a fantasy element to it like no other. That was just the singleplayer the multiplayer servers add even more, with custom plugins and game modes such as survival games or just mining and building with friends the multilplayer greatly increases the playtime. There is much more to add such as the enormous amount if mobs neutral and hostile and the immersive day to night cycle which really fits in with the game. The only problem with this it was quite hard and still is to set up a server for your friends to play on but that has gotten allot easier. This is the only game Xbox 360 & PC combined I have spent 1000+ hours on playing. Expand
  39. Jan 3, 2014
    Ahhh, Minecraft... you know... all those gamemodes, all those epic constructions, the amazing comunity out there. All that stuff is really awesome. And you can just play with one or two friends on a server made by YOU. Minecraft is an amazing game for 10 years old guys or even for 30 years old men (and woman). It's obviously worth the 19,90$. The only reason I give 9 as score for this game is because of the development. The game has lots of bugs that the developers know about (their all around minecraft forums). And they just update the game when the discovered bugs reach a critical state. Expand
  40. Jan 22, 2014
    How this crap is getting such scores. It doesn't have plot, graphics are **** (I mean really ****), don't know about soundtrack (if there is any), but **** me, there is only gameplay. I am giving 0/10 just to bring the balance, it should have 60/100 score.
  41. Feb 23, 2014
    Useless. Just one word to describe it. Is a game that can entertain you for 3/4 hours before that you realize that your life can go on without build cubic virtual houses in mud and crap.
  42. Mar 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the game its multi player is endless and the creations never stop it just keeps going I see so much more of this game in the Future and the mods just make so sophisticated and in single player you can experiment and find new strategy's to do some specific thing and conquer the game in a year its awesome and I love it Expand
  43. Mar 11, 2014
    Minecraft is truly a revolutionary game, its simple, yet you can do anything in it, people have taken it so far. The way they add new things all the time, for free of charge. Is so generous of the Swedish company. Its a very creative game. Anyone who would play Minecraft would know that its a game of a 1000 games. Anyone can play it young or old. There are plenty of servers. Many blocks and mods to keep you building. Also Minecraft has survival to survive the night and defeat the wither and the EnderDragon. It has to be the indie game that changed the gaming industry for a long time. The mechanics arent much, but its easy to learn. If you don't like the small blocky graphics there are resource packs that change the sounds and textures. It can go from around 3x3 per block/item, to 5012x5012! Its a great game to keep your kids away from shooting and violent games. Its very cheap and you dont need much to play the game. It runs on Mac, Windows, Linux. You need at least 2gbs of RAM and around a few MegaBytes of space. I highly recomend the game, its fun to bring friends and family closer. :) Expand
  44. Apr 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am ANGRY at all you negative reviewers out there, you overlook the influence on culture these days of Minecraft, comparing it to other games (BTW I am looking for the perfect game which you will find my Qualifications in the Profile) This has by far been the Crown Jewel of My PC games, It is near my perfect game standard and it is the closest one there. Also about it's influence on culture, this game has truly defined the true basic principle of open-ended games, I believe it even has created it's own genre. And other than that I believe you negative reviewers never even tried to venture within the game itself, you didn't even bother to look at the wiki, it may be buggy however it 's Success overshadows it's flaws. And by the way did you even care to look at modding this game? This game for me, has an almost infinite number of mods out there, so the game is extremely flexible. And by the way have you seen Terraria? If you like the game and you review this negatively, then you know what? Terraria was inspired By MINECRAFT. So in my view this game belongs with the great historic games, which have forever changed the world, and if you ask me, Minecraft has begun it's own gaming generation CONVERSATION OVER, PERIOD. Expand
  45. Apr 21, 2014
    MInecraft has always been an awesome game but with the latest updates it has only been getting worse.
    The game gives you hours of gameplay, this is a must play game for every type of gamer.
  46. May 21, 2014
    ok, I am a die-hard Minecraft fan, I am part of the community and I even do a lot of vids on minecraft. But, I can't say minecraft is flawless, and I'm going to give my honest review.

Minecraft is a great game, and it is a truly open world sandbox, where your minecraft world ends with you. This Game is definitely a mark in video game history, and I hope this game leads to new ideas for
    future sandbox games. First, I'll start with survival. My first time, like most new players, was rough. Minecraft kind of puts you in the wild and says "you're on your own, have fun". But that's not that bad, it adds a bit of the charm to the game, and that there is lots to learn to do, and aim for. It also introduces you to the minecraft community, as you rely on it to learn more about the game, and how to play it. I'll talk more about the MC community later, as it plays a big role in the game. As you learn more and more, you explore your world, survive ravage nights, and build whatever you can imagine. Minecraft life will have many things to do, make, or explore. this review was made in ver 1.7.9, and there is a point where you have done it all, and once you've explored the game inside and out, the game starts to lose steam, the game-play isn't that interesting past that for the most part. Then there is creative mode, where you are invincible, and can build (or destroy) with few limits.

now, back to the community. The minecraft community is the absolute best, and really works hand and hand with the game to make it bigger and better, in a way I have never seen in any other game. if you have a decent amount of tech smarts, or look up tutorials, there you will really get the full effect of the minecraft community's mark on the game, and get more out of the game when you've explored it all. First off, the I am so impressed by what, amateur developers that loved the game, created in the minecraft community. There is like a mod for Freaking everything; shooting kamehameha's, guns, weapons from RWBY, SAO, KH, etc, Pokemon, magic, npcs, superpowers, bosses battles, alternate dimensions, you name is, it's most likely a mod for it, and will being the game to life. In addition, there are also resource packs to change the look and feel of the game. and Many maps custom maps; from an epic adventure map (most likely made by Hypixel), a survival world with the creators flare, recreations of other things or places, or just an awesome looking thing someone built. Don't even get me started on multiplayer server, minigames and stuff. Even outside of gameplay, youtubers have made minecraft so popular, and really something that people enjoy.

Now here comes the sad part of this review. The flaws of minecraft. The wonderful things the minecraft community brings to the game will keep you entertains for a long time, but it also starts to die. Minecraft's huge gaping hole that keeps it 2 points away from a 9/10 is the gameplay. Im sorry, but you the battle mechanics are pretty... eh, and just barely passes as enjoyable. Way you move, the way you fight, and just the way your character performs, it's just... ok.... it passes, and it wouldn't take away from the minecraft experience, but once it's you've explored everything, and you've exhausted your creativity, tried many mods, the game dies there. Gameplay is an important part of if you would come back to the game, and a game like this can't be played for a plot. but another point was deducted for the way the game is being improved. as more and more updates have come out, less and less is actual added. The updates just aren't giving me anything to return to the game to do something new.These flaws will not affect new players, but more players that have played minecraft for a while. If this ever changes in future versions, I would gladly give this game a 8/10, maybe even a 9/10. It hurts me that I had to give this game 7/10, but, I just can't go any higher.

overall, you will love Minecraft, and if you're a gamer, get this game. Let your imagination and exploration run free. And a tip, take shelter before the sun sets in the game, because the night is evil.
  47. Jun 6, 2014
    They are wasting my time, as a server owner, trying to get all my plugins ready for the UUID change, they have been planning this for over 2 years now, and it takes 2-3 months, and there is no update still, the community is also falling in the gutter.
  48. Jun 15, 2014
    If I could only play 3 games for the rest of my life. Minecraft would be 1st. It is without a doubt a top of the world game! You have endless possibilities. Endless. I've been playing Minecraft for 2 years, And I'm still not done. When I showed my brother Minecraft he was convinced he would hate it. Now he plays 24/7 (Just like me.) My 3 sisters, 1 brother, Uncle, And ALL my friends have been introduced to Minecraft by me. And LOVED it. This is THE game. Expand
  49. Jun 27, 2014
    I have very mixed opinons about this game. when I first got it, I got sucked into server play. then I tried the singleplayer and I got thru 1 hour before falling asleep. this game has amazing multiplayer because of servers and stuff but I never play splayer. and I got bored of the game . after a few months. now I only play it because of mods but that doesn't count as the real game. if you don't have minecraft then I'm fine with that and I only recommend it for the mods and the multiplayer servers. also if you want a fresh take on a mining game (that is not nearly a rip-off of minecraft) you should try terraria if you can enjoy a 2D game. oh yeah, also minecraft only has 2 bosses which gets really old quick. mojang please add more to this game to make it be worth 28$. or just lower the price. Expand
  50. Jun 28, 2014
    Innovative, educattional and original, Minecraft is seen by many as one of the best PC games in existence. As I am relatively new to Minecraft, - having joined the community just after the 1.3 update - I have noticed how it has grown and, because it is constantly in development, how it has improved since my starting moments. Being a nerdy type of person, I enjoy playing with the game's coding, as it is extremely educational. However, for the less computer knowledgeable people it is very user-friendly and easy to use but hard to master. In conclusion, Minecraft is a great game and I strongly recommend that you buy it. Expand
  51. Aug 8, 2014
    Minecraft is the only game that truly has created an immersive atmosphere, and really can familiarize the character with true freedom. Minecraft is a playground, a very large playground that is waiting for you, arms wide open. And, trust me, you will NOT want to leave this playground for a long time.

Blocky, though memorable graphics will make it hard for the user to not be able to spot
    the sight of a dirt block or a diamond sword. And the sounds of breaking blocks, and the beautifully nostalgic, yet for some reason melancholy soundtrack will be stuck in your head for hours.

Minecraft is that game that comes out once in a decade. That game that truly separates itself from all others, despite how many clones may attempt to mimic it. It is a game that isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and that just makes it that much better.

52. Aug 16, 2014
    Es muy bueno ya que puedes hacer casi todo!, es malo jugar solo... pero si juegas con amigos es lo mejor muy entretenido y divertido 100% recomendado :D xD :,3
  53. Oct 2, 2010
    The game is truly a wonder of game-design. It features simple, intuitive, and interesting mechanics easily learned on the fly, yet it features an emergent depth of gameplay. The graphics are lo-res, yet charming, and reminiscent of old style 8-bit games, with a 3d touch. For the price, this is one of those games that you will not regret ever getting as before you realize it, you'll have spent hours and hours digging "just one more tunnel. " Expand
  54. Nov 10, 2010
    Minecraft is like lego on acid...... acid made out of marsmen concentrate. It is the first game ever made for people who have OCD and it is very addictive. Highly recommended
  55. Nov 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Games is awesome. I couldnt believe it when i first saw it. But men, it got me hooked like a Drug from the start. Starting out on a Island in a World thats 8 Time the Surface of the Earth. Crafting the first Wooden Pickaxle, building your House. And digging just so you find a Cave filled with Gold, iron etc. Gotta watch out for the Zombies though. Traveling to a far away Island for a new beginning. SO much fun Expand
  56. Dec 23, 2010
    Even if the graphics aren't that good, this game will keep you on the computer for hours! The environment is very well done and the music very soothing and sometimes creepy. Minecraft might be a simple game, but it still can scare the living daylights out of you when you listen to the sounds emitted by the unfriendly monsters that roam the world when night comes.
  57. Feb 20, 2011
    One of the things often overlooked in game reviews is value. How much for a game and how many hours can you expect out of a game? Minecraft is arguably the best value you can get from a game this generation. Minecraft somehow combines the addictive gameplay of Simcity and Resident Evil, not two games that normally go together. You start the game with no weapons or shelter, just a vast landscape consisting of different 'blocks' of materials that you can cut and shape into tools and building supplies. The only other creatures you see on your horizon (the gameworld is reported to be about eight times the size of the earth) are assorted animals such as pigs and cows. In the first few minutes of gameplay, you start to notice the sun moving across the sky, and it occurs to you that it will soon be getting dark. And this is where Minecraft can turn from a simple looking Lego game with cute quacking ducks into something that is about to scare the hell out of you.

As darkness settles, you can see 'things' shuffle along the beach towards you, making growling noises. Arrows start flying at you from skeleton archers. It occurs to you that spending the afternoon and early evening exploring your world was possibly not the most productive use of your time. Building a shelter close to where you initially spawned is the first order of business. And this is where the 'mine' and 'craft' come in.

By chopping down a tree with your hands, you can get wood. With wood you can create a workbench to make tools such as an pick, axe or sword. Once you have a pickaxe, you can tackle harder materials like stone or iron by digging into the earth or chipping away at cavern walls. And with these better materials, you can use your workbench to make stronger tools, weapons and armor. By the time the moon comes up on your first night, you won't have time to make an impregnable castle fortress, but at least you should be able to put up four walls and make a door, windows and roof. In the morning, the monsters that kept you a prisoner in your home at night burn up from the morning's sun, making it safe once again to explore.

This when when you'll start to figure out that better materials are buried at deeper levels. And shortly after that, you'll realize that deep in your mine (or anywhere that lacks a light source) the monsters are waiting for you. There is genuine fear of being killed, because if you are it means you drop all of items you were holding, carrying or wearing at that spot, and you re-start at your initial spawn point that could be miles away, assuming you can even remember where that was.

Minecraft offers addictive gameplay mixed with creativity. Later, as you progress through the game (there aren't any 'levels', you just craft better weapons and items) you can aid your exploring by making boats, a compass that always points toy your spawn area, a watch (so you know if it's dark when you emerge from your mine), even to a minecart rail system! With a strong sword and good armor, you're now able to defend yourself from *most* monsters (called MOBS), allowing you to focus on building whatever you want. I recommend you check out a few Youtube videos of what people with time and imagination can come up with. For really large projects, such as a life-size USS Enterprise... this is where the multiplayer aspect of the game really shines.

Together, a group on a server can build entire cities. Players can download or create their own player skins to maintain a bit of style while swinging that diamond pick-axe to bore through tunnels that run under the ocean. Servers can chose to offer players any materials they need to aid in the construction. Again, check online to see just what is possible! Online games also allow you to build without fear of Mobs, which at that point really turns the game into a sim builder.

The game also features different climates, so you might spend one day on a sunny beach, and the next hiking across a mountain through the snow. You can explore (and create) lava pools, waterfalls, and occasionally you'll stumble across dungeons. These have chests with loot in them, and a spawn cage that creates the Mobs (there's seven different ones, but I've chosen not to mention one in particular that will eventually give you nightmares). Using torches that you create from wood sticks and coal (of course) keep you from being in the dark underground, and if you surround a Mob spawn cage with torchlight, it will remain safely dormant.

Expect to lose yourself in this game for many, many hours. Minecraft (still in beta) is currently about $15, so get in while it's still half price. Beta simply means it's still under development, so items are constantly being added. Great value indeed!
  58. Feb 24, 2011
    The first time I heard about Minecraft, I had no idea that a game with such wide open freeform game play could be so appealing. As a nameless protagonist without any story or purpose, youâ
  59. Mar 25, 2011
    This is the most creative and time killer game ever. I never played AOE or HOMM like this. It's not perfect at all this time but will. I think they must recode entire game because of lack fps and huge resource usage. Although i gave it 10. Because I am a fanatic :)
  60. Mar 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a game you can play for hours and hours, each advancement better than the next. It can be repetitive, but it's usually thrilling to avoid lava, to build huge sky-scrappers, and light the sky up at night. I love this game, I need to play it more. Expand
  61. Apr 25, 2011
    This game is addicting, simple and very fun. Read this review and see why you should buy this game.

Minecraft is a sandbox construction game, inspired by Infiniminer, and created by Markus Persson, the founder of Mojang AB. The game involves players creating and destroying various types of blocks in a three dimensional environment. The player takes an avatar that can destroy or create
    blocks, forming fantastic structures, creations and artwork across the various multiplayer servers in multiple game modes. This game is highly liked by many people and has sold over 1 million copies.

The graphics for minecraft are nothing special; however, I'm pretty sure this was intended. The graphics aren't great at first glance, although you get used to it the more you play the game. The art design is quite charming and interesting, and it kindof sucks you in. I started liking the graphics as the pixel art design fits the game nicely however, die-hard graphics fans will never get used to them.

The gameplay is simple and complex in different ways. You start off in a randomly-generated world and you need to survive as long as possible. The game involes you to gather resourses, make shelters and kill baddies. The game has many crafting recipes and this can be very rewarding. There is a bit of a learning curve, however, once you start to get the hang of things, you can't stop thinking what to make next. The building in this game is endless, with tons of materials to get. I found myself making houses and all sorts of things. Anyways, back to the "survival" aspect. The game's AI is quite good; as the badguys really try to kill you. Obviously, this can be turned off, but the game kinda loses it's spunk. There are many enemies, from zombies to spiders, there is tons to kill. The game has an online feature, however this is a big pain for people who are forced to make a server. Unforthunately, I didn't get a chance to play online, but I'm quite sure it would be a lot of fun. I could sit here for hours telling you about how interesting this game is, but I'll let you try it out for yourself and expierience how great this game is. For a game that only costs $20, this is a must-buy for all PC owners.

The sound effects in this game are realistic and somewhat creepy. The animals such as cows, pigs, and sheep sound spot on and really make the game come to life. The game's baddies sound weird, but that isn't to much of a factor. The game's music is somewhat relaxing and peaceful. Some of the music is excellent, and others are decent. Overall, the audio is fresh and is a blast to listen to. The controls are extremely responsive and customizable. I had very little control issues with this game. I don't have much to say here; except the fact that the controls are almost perfect. The game's replay value is the best I've ever seen in a video game. The game edges LittleBigPlanet2 by using randomly-generated worlds, tons of items to craft, many updates to come and much more features. The game's replay value is unlimited, due to the fact of the cost, features and content. PROS: +Randomly-Generated Worlds
    +Tons to Explore
    +Excellent Controls
    +Great Music
    +Sound Effects are spot-on
    +Cost of $20
    +Charming
    +Good AI
    +Decent Graphics

CONS:
    -No Maps
    -Learning Curve
    -Online Setup is a pain

Ratings:
    Graphics: 7.5/10
    Gameplay: 9.5/10
    Audio: 8.5/10
    Controls: 9.5/10
    Replay Value: 10/10
    OVERALL: 9.0/10 To conclude, Minecraft is a stunning game. The graphics may not be for everyone, but that shouldn't judge the game completely. The gameplay and all the other features overpowered that flaw, and you get used to the graphics after awhile. For all the people who hate the graphics, download a texture pack to make the graphics better. I think this is one of the best games for the PC.
  62. Apr 27, 2011
    This game isn't finished yet, but is already a masterpiece! When you start playing Minecraft, it's impossible to stop! If you like any sort of videogame, you must play this!
  63. May 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a game in which you build stuff, not only to destroy. I mean, it's simple and the graphics are bad, but feels so creative and its... addicting. You can explore and create almost anything you want. The sky and bedrocks the limit. Play the game! If you want to try it out for free, like this page and then click on this site to play Beta for free. This is what my friends play on, and I will share this with you: http://minecraftforfree.com/play.php
    Copy and paste this onto URL.
  64. Jun 6, 2011
    The game is amazing, the world is like 10x bigger than earth itself, the blocky graphics make it a good thing, as if the graphics were Crysis-Like, the game would lag to hell, and it already does at times. It has a large variety of mods and you can build HUGE ass places, you will never be in the same place again after you generate a new world, every world is unique and different, there will be not one thing identical about sepearte worlds. All-in-all, the retards that claimed the graphics were bad are graphics-whores and don't know a good game when they see one.

[REUPLOADED DUE TO INVALID RATING]
  65. Jun 15, 2011
    I like this game, its fun, creative and plays very well over multilayer, as well as single player. I live how in the bata that there's monsters and other hazards poseing as a threat to your well being. For example theirs lava, which you can burn in. Water, that you can drown in. Monsters that will come out at night and appear in dark places, (badly lit houses, caves, tunnels, under over-hangs, ect) then monsters include Zombies, Skeletons with bows, and Creepers (appear on earth). Personally, I give Creepers the award for being the scarcest, (As in "Oh god, no!") and most annoying enemy, ever. Creepers will run at you when they see you, and explode when they are about 3-4 blocks away from you, this is bad since the blast will destroy the sounding blocks (Your house?) Also since there is a day and night system which lasts 10 minutes for day, 7 for night, and 1.5 for sunrise/sunset. The graphics are terrible, but that's not the point, Notch (the creator's username) is looking for good game play, and is also trying not to make MineCraft non-repetitive, which is why the maps are randomly generated, this way you can find hidden tunnels, caves, and pieces of land that look just awesome. In my opinion you should get MineCraft, its a great game. Expand
  66. Jun 19, 2011
    It's a good, awesome, perfect and interesting game. i am recommended this for all my friends.
    in this game am possible build and dig and fight with a pig and simply to live.
  67. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is brilliant, a truly masterful piece of work. It is simple, yet addictive, and the pure creationism of it allows you to build to your heart's content. There are those who complain about the graphics, but if those people can't get over the graphics and see this brilliant game is then I pity them. And the graphics aren't actually bad at all, they suit the game and are quite charming. Just the thrill of exploring a randomly generated world and finding all kinds of wonderful and peculiar things. And exploring the bowels of the earth, hunting for those elusive diamonds and always looking over your should lest a monster creep up on you. Multiplayer, though still in development, allows players to connect with their friends and build their dream house, castle, fort ,cave, or whatever they may wish. There are also those who would criticise the game's single developer, and we do need to remember that this game is made by one man, Notch works hard to produce this brilliant game, but if he decides that he doesn't want to patch the game, then the game is not patched, god forbid he should ever go on holiday. He may have established an office for Mojang, but it is simply so that he can surround himself with the greatest programming talent in Sweden. If you are even considering buying this game, then you definitely should. I held out for a while but when I finally played this game, I was hooked from the very beginning. For the price it's at it is great value. This is definitely the best indie game that I have played in a long, long time, and at a price that wont break the bank. Expand
  68. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is epic!!!You will have tons of fun mining and or just building what you want,plus it has tons of mods that will add to the awesomeness, I highly Recommend this game for the price
  69. Jul 21, 2011
    Don't you dare listen to those that criticize it for it's "gay graphics" and "pointlessness". Minecraft's graphics are purposely pixelated, and that in no way automatically makes it horrible. It adds a very touching charm to the game. People these days don't seem to have any fondness of charming things and would rather up their K/D ratio. Minecraft is anything but pointless. You have to create your OWN fun. "What's that? The developers were too lazy to make the fun for you? DRAMATIC GASP!" Wrong, they have supplied you with an extremely hearty amount of extremely hearty things that you can have an extremely hearty amount of fun with. If you wanted to, you could: Build, anything from an underground troll hole to the most freakin' awe-inspiring cathedral to ever grace the virtual (ore real) world; Mine, in a randomly-generated world where you can destroy, pickup and change EVERYTHING, the world is your's to sculpt; Create, fantastic contraptions using a special electricity-conducting ore called Redstone to power block-moving pistons, music-making note blocks, noob-pwning traps (one guy even made a functioning computer the size of a continent!); Craft; using an intuitive crafting system, craft things by forming the general shape of the tool with the items you have; Explore, there's fantastic cloud-raping mountains and dark scary caves with monsters waiting for you to find them, there's even an alternate hell dimension for you to conquer! Expand
  70. Jul 27, 2011
    This game is the definition of the word time-waster, but it is so damned addicting that it makes you forget all about that. at first glance of the game it looks like a crappy Lego, game but actually playing it blows your mind. it's so unique and intriguing that it deserves a class of its own. I say if you have 20 dollars and 6 hours to kill give it a look.
  71. Jul 30, 2011
    Please disregard reviews from people claiming the game doesn't have enough to do. Many of those reviews were written when the game was in alpha, at the time of this review it is still in beta and won't be released for several months. Mojang is constantly adding new features and tuning the experience.

Also disregard reviews from people who don't care for the genre, would you trust a review
    of an RTS by someone who doesn't like RTSs?

That said, Minecraft has captured the essence of sandbox gaming. So far the features have been more abstract than concrete giving players tools to explore and shape the world without imposing any sort of virtual reality other than the one they create. This may change in the future, Terraria has named bosses and the team at Mojang have expressed an interest in doing something similar in Minecraft. However, so far I like the way the team has implemented the game so I suspect they will add more concrete concepts in elegant ways.

If you even think you may like this game, pick it up and/or check out the many videos people have posted on YouTube
  72. Aug 28, 2011
    Mineboring brings a game with a decent concept, The world where you start seems decent at the first impression, you can walk around an explore the world with your person, make your own house and start collect things to upgrade your tools or to make new structures.
    After you played a while this game gets bored, The game seems uglier then your first impression and there is nothing else to do
    then the same things that you already did for hours.... so you go play online...

When trying to play online and find a good server this game is lacking, It has no serverlist except on the forums, this is not good since many kids play this game, and want to play it online, it is really hard to find a good server that is working properly.

Overall a decent Game but gets bored after a time, online play is way more fun but hard to find a good server.
  73. Sep 24, 2011
    This game is very fun, addicting, and innovative. I have played since Alpha. I will continue to play even after it is released, because even then updates will still be available. My friends love it, though others might say it has "stupid blocky graphics." But they need to learn that graphics don't make the game, it's how fun it is. You should get this game if you haven't!
  74. Nov 11, 2011
    This is one of the best games I have ever played (as you can see by my username) and I am addicted to it! Minecraft is a very addicting game in which you build things out of blocks of materials. You can build anything you want! This may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think that this game is a masterpiece that is overlooked because of its graphics (which aren't that bad!). Even though it is still in beta versions, I can see this game becoming very successful in the near future. Expand
  75. Nov 18, 2011
    I found this game a year ago and I'm still playing it. I have my own server with 900 registered players. Playing this game is like playing with LEGO as a child and it's still great game. I hate idiots, who will never play it because it has 8-bit graphics.... MINECRAFT IS BEST GAME EVER!
  76. Nov 18, 2011
    now minecraft release date is Nov 18, 2011 ï¼
  77. Nov 18, 2011
    Great game overall! Even though metacritic got the release date wrong(supposed to be dated to 11/18 for release date). But great game, with all the monster killing, building, sandbox design, can't wait for more updates to the game itself in the future!
  78. Nov 19, 2011
    One of the best games out there.You have a giant world in which you can do what ever you wish.You can either explore caves and strongholds,build giant sky scrapers,create big farms of sugar cane,or simply wander.
  79. Nov 19, 2011
    Fast fact: if you rate a game solely on its graphics, you're an idiot. I'm giving it an 8 because while I don't care about graphics in games, the gameplay is solid, sure, but it does get repetitive and boring at times. I played this game non-stop when it was in alpha 1.2.2, and it sure was a lot of fun back then, but when I play it now I just feel boredom. It's a great game to play for the first few weeks of owning it, and then you've pretty much done everything there is to do and it's not as enjoyable as it was before. It's fun at first but after a while it's pretty boring, but I'll give it an 8 because it WAS a lot of fun. Expand
  80. Nov 19, 2011
    - Full of bugs - Performs terribly - Bad graphics - Repetitve gameplay - Maps have near infinite horizontal space but very limited vertical space - Half-assed RPG elements. - Monsters have the worst AI in the history of game programming - Multiplayer often doesn't work - Poor developer support - Despite simple aesthetic, requires immensely powerful hardware to run at acceptable settings. + Cheaper than most other games
    + Good replay value
    + Large modding community

This system won't let me go into the negatives so a zero was the best I could give this. This game is an excellent example of wasted potential. It became popular as a building/Lego game with small combat elements to keep you on your toes. Now it's a game about swinging pixelated swords at things until they fall over. The world is so cluttered with 'dungeons' now that it's impossible to dig for five minutes without breaking into another spider pit. The height limit hasn't been raised since pre-alpha, so you won't be building anything taller than the London Tower or digging anything deeper than your swimming pool. The multiplayer is buggy, incomplete, and lacks the tools for proper moderation. This game is so incomplete that there is literally no one that plays this game vanilla.
  81. Nov 19, 2011
    One of the most addicting games I have ever played. The graphics are very simple, and the game won't be loved by everyone, but if you want an extremely open experience with an incredible depth of game play, then Minecraft is a great choice. There is no story or plot, which leaves the entire purpose of the game up to the player, and with the massive number of obtainable items and building materials in a practically infinite world, Minecraft is truly a unique game that places virtually limits on creativity. Expand
  82. Nov 20, 2011
    This game was practically a dream for me. As a kid I loved building with Legos, made towns and loved using my imagination to add in stories for things. This is precisely what Minecraft lets you do better than any Lego game out there right now. When you start it can be a little overwhelming, and can seem a bit complicated, but you learn, you master your environment, and you build. In single player it can get a bit lonesome, but if you find a great group of people to play with online there will always be new things to explore, and occasionally surprises (good and bad) left for you to find at your houses. The charming looks, rather amazing landscapes you can find, and the expandability provided by a supportive fan-base will keep you entertained for a while assuming you don't need to see blood and gore every few minutes to keep your attention.

I would like to address some of the ridiculous low scores some users gave the game. Reading through some there appear to be 2 major complaints, one being entirely illegitimate to me. Graphics. This really boils down to an argument the art community had some time ago, something that impressionism annihilated. In order to look good things do not need to strive for photo-realism. If you keep your aesthetic consistent which Minecraft does very well, things will look great even when full of blocks. It all just adds to the core mechanic of the game, you are in a world of building blocks, go build!
    There is also the trend of those siting graphics for not liking the game actually admit to not trying it purely because of the looks.

The second major complaint is that after a while it gets boring. This can be true but is this not true of all games? For me I keep coming back and making new worlds. I do believe you will get your money's worth of playtime out of the game before becoming bored.

All in all I will say this is a game for those with imagination, those who want to see themselves as the last knights of a kingdom long since overrun by undead and explosive creeper hoards, and gathering the last of their resolve strive to survive and rebuild the kingdom that was lost. Or may be you just wanna run a weird hotel in the middle of the ocean with pig riding out back, whatever floats your boat :-p
  83. Nov 21, 2011
    Mojang's "Minecraft" is the Electronic Age's LEGOs, there is simply no other way to state it. It heavily (yet subtly) encourages the less objectively-good things in humanity, such as beauty, creativity, and teamwork, all while maintaining the guise as a "survival adventure" game. In reality, Minecraft is less about crafting and more about creating; a simple 1x2 mud hut can keep you alive through the night, but no one builds that (except out of desperation!)...the players of this game build towering monstrosities of castles, Nordic keeps, 1-to-1 scale replicas of Star Trek ships and Hogwarts castle. Not because they MUST, but simply because they CAN. This is the game of our generation. Expand
  84. Nov 22, 2011
    I have been playing Minecraft from about the 1.5 Beta stage. At first it was quite boring, but as the game progresses, you uncover a world full of wonderful things. From the first time you find diamonds to finally creating a house made up of all the stuff you can successfully scrape together off the ground, it is an unusually addictive game. But what makes this complete is the community. From the amazing mods that improve the game so much, to the fan made maps and community on YouTube, this is one of the greatest games of all time, and with it expanding to the 360 early in the new year, I cannot wait to play it on both my PC and 360 with all of my friends and family, because of course, it is a family game. Expand
  85. Nov 22, 2011
    Probably the best game ever made. There is a goal to the game, although it isn't obvious at first. Minecraft's weakest point would have to be the fact that it can get boring after a while. However, starting afresh usually helps.
  86. Nov 22, 2011
    While the game is amazing, fun and very addictive, it loses it's "umf" quite fast. The game has and have so much potential, but the developers promise content but fails to deliver. So many good ideas have been up, but rejected again or just left alone not to be mentioned again. I have played quite a few hours though (a lot actually) and Mojang made a decent game. However, most of the fun i've had is from modders and mappers, creating stuff beyond belief.
    The community of Minecraft is partly why I play the game, it is so creative and helps to keep me interested.
    So to sum it up, Mojang laid the foundation and the modders built the house.

Which is also why I only deem it worthy of a 5.

What should they do for me to give them more than 5 ?
    Make more stuff ! there are so many brilliant promising modders out there who can really contribute to the quality of the game.
  87. Nov 22, 2011
    I would give this game a solid 10/10 for starters the game itself has a solid gamplay which leans more toward a sandbox/RPG type game but thats good because it gives you freedom within the world to do as you please.Then on to the graphics sure there pixely but thats what defines this game as is and if you don't like the graphics you can just get a texture pack. Now onto its multiplayer mechanics it's multiplayer is well defined and makes a mark for itself just look at the immense servers sprawling with creations requiring tons of people. Lastly Minecraft isn't a game much more its a genre because now you have games popping up like Terraria, FortressCraft, and alot of other games. So it's well worth that $26.95 for admission to such a diverse game with endless possiblty and it has so many mods to content people who are getting bored of the vanilla gameplay. Expand
  88. Nov 22, 2011
    Minecraft isn't a perfect game, but it is a great game. As some of the professional reviews have stated, it is a difficult game to sum up. It is a game that gives you a lot of freedom; you can build whatever you want out of (usually) cube-shaped items, fight a variety of monsters, craft potions and item enchantments, and/or explore a variety of randomly generated biomes, ruins, even villages. Generally speaking, you can choose some of these activities and ignore others, or engage in all of them. The world technically has a limit, but it is so vast (eight times the surface area of Earth) you are extremely unlikely to ever hit the limit. Even if you did, you could simply generate a new world and start anew (without losing anything in your original save). There are currently two game modes: Creative and Survival. Creative gives you all of the materials and lets you freely build, while in Survival you have to worry about maintaining your health and manually collecting items. Regardless of mode, this is a game that is easy to find something to do, whether you only have a few minutes or a few hours. There is both single player and multiplayer available. If you are put off by the default graphics, there are many user-made texture packs available allowing you to choose a look you like. If you are looking for more features, there are also many mods available. Also, as of this writing, Mojang plans to continue releasing bug fixes and new content. It is also pretty friendly to lower-end computers compared to most high-profile games.

There are some notable shortcomings. There is no formal in game tutorial; you will probably want to get some help from other people or the Minecraft Wiki when trying Survival mode. Some features are only partially implemented at the moment; notably, the NPC villagers found in the villages cannot be interacted with currently. Multiplayer offers neither an in game server browser or matchmaker, meaning you will have to go through several steps you may not be used to to play with others. Modding isn't very user friendly either, and this is something that had been promised a long time ago. Mojang claims, however, that they still intend to address this. Even in the current release version (1.0.0), crashes are reasonably frequent for me; thankfully, the game does a good job of saving right before the crash and it is fairly painless to boot up the game again and re-enter the world. Perhaps the biggest criticism I have seen, however, is the absence of any formal goals. Some people have gotten bored of the game pretty quickly. Mojang has addressed this concern somewhat, but to get the most out of the game you will still need to set your own goals.

If you think you are at all interested in Minecraft, give Minecraft Classic a try. It is basically an outdated version of Creative mode you can play for free. It will give you some idea of what to expect. If you like it at all, I would encourage you to try the full game. I have enjoyed the game over much of the past year and I expect I will continue to enjoy it for some time to come.
  89. Nov 23, 2011
    While a fantastic concept, the implementation of minecraft in general has been slipshod at best. Mojang seems to be better equipped at promising fixes than implementing them. Arbitrary "release dates" and haphazard feature implementation plague this "release" version. Minecraft seems to suffer from an identity crisis these days. "Am I a sandbox game?" or "Am I an adventure narrative?", this is the major question here. While minecraft did well as a no goal, build what you want with survival aspects sandbox title, the addition of a tacked on endgame event complete with halfhearted ending text "reveal" left me wanting. While many "features" have been added since the 1.7 beta release, one must ask "how well have said additions meshed or added to the gameplay?". In my experience, the answer is not that well. What was once a fun open ended building block set has devolved into a confused rpg title with no defined narrative or point, and that's without addressing the glaring instability, bugs and varying performance issues apparent from version to version. All I can say is that minecraft started with much promise, and has proceded to fail to live up to any of the potential it promised throughout development. Expand
  90. Nov 23, 2011
    I wandered through the woods, killed skeletons, spiders, zombies. I discovered deep canyons and high mountains. I dug deep into the soil to find ores of iron, gold and diamonds. I built a palace made of glass surrounded by waterfalls that keep the creepers away. I built a rollercoaster, a chicken farm, a musical gangway. On our server I can travel by cart to a Cathedral built a friend or to the depths of Moria built by another...

There are so many adventures, crafting recipies... possibilities!
    The music is so awesome and inspiring, I bought and d/l'd some C418 CDs so I can hear the music while I'm working. Minecraft is a phenomenon that I'm happy to be part of.
  91. Nov 23, 2011
    What to say the only game that I play ATM than its awesome. There are bugs but Mojang is fixing them and the bugs aren't like that you can't play the game properly, you can be creative than there are no limits in our creativity only our mind.
  92. Nov 23, 2011
    Minecraft is a sandbox, block based building game. It gives players the ability to dworko whatever they want to their environment; anything from building a castle to blowing up the world. The freedom to do whatever you want gives the game an unlimited replay value. In edition, the multiplayer functionality gives you the ability to work on massive projects with your friends. All in all, an excellent game, and more than worthy of the price. Expand
  93. Nov 23, 2011
    With the variety of play modes, Minecraft makes itself attractive to more than just one type of gamer. Not only can one choose between "Classic" or "Adventure mode, but when playing the latter, one can choose to focus on being either a miner, explorer or adventure seeker (or why not just a little of each).
    With the new update (leaving beta), a whole new world of possibilities has opened up
    letting the player even choose to completing the game by going after the end boss.
    The only thing I'd want to see in Minecraft is more use of experience and level points, and also a bigger variety to what one can craft. Like why can't I make pizza?! ;-) And i'm looking forward to more game modes like CTF or Adventure (where one doesn't build, but runs through a pre-made level).
  94. Nov 23, 2011
    Minecraft.I thought what the hell is this when i first heard that name.Minecraft is a game for people with an imagination,If you cant make fun out of it you cant really understand the game.Minecraft is an unlimited sandbox survival game with great controls, adequate content, And below Par graphics. First of all the controls are wonderful. The W A S D keys mouse and space bar work perfect for this kind of game. The content is unfinished, Even though the official release was passed the game is still in need of quite a few updates, Which Markus Persson (Founder) has said are coming. The graphics are great for this style of game BUT there are quite a few lightning glitches and invisible block glitches that come with the game. This is why i am giving the game an 8, Its still not done! and i do think the game can be improved a lot.But even though Minecraft is a great game, Any undecided gamer should definitely buy it. Expand
  95. Nov 24, 2011
    MineCraft is truly a great game, it has something for almost any age group. With the addition of creative mode, MineCraft has opened up to all those players who just want to build (like Garry's Mod). MineCraft can be modified and is a large COMMUNITY game which I think give it a huge thumbs up.
  96. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing Sandbox-Game. You need to play it and get into it, in order to understand it. If you think this Game is silly, ugly, or old, you probably haven't tried it yet.
  97. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecraft is probably the most innovative game since Doom. It is not a normal game, it created a whole new genre. It really deserves the perfect score.
  98. Nov 24, 2011
    Very fun game, start in a world with nothing and build it into your own.
    Fight, play or build. Learn new skills and improve your red stone circuits to make some awesome things.

A****
  99. Nov 24, 2011
    I bought Minecraft in alpha, and it has been one of the few games i have hatched on like a slug

I started out in singleplayer, and as a lot of other people say, it gets boring after a while.

THAT is where Multiplayer comes in. I joined Super-Earth, and ever since, the game has delivered more entertainment than you could get for a 1000$

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]