7.4

1. Nov 10, 2010
    Minecraft is like lego on acid...... acid made out of marsmen concentrate. It is the first game ever made for people who have OCD and it is very addictive. Highly recommended
  2. Nov 30, 2011
    Originally, Minecraft didn't deserve the criticisms thrown at it. 'Lame graphics'-nah. There delightfully retro, and look great in this decidedly modern world. But, after the game FINALLY got out of beta, it's now been criticised of not fulfilling it's enourmous potential. I'd argue it's done a lot-massive, devoted community, multiple biomes, tons of blocks. This isn't the end of Minecraft though. It will continue to be updated. Improved. Refined. It rocks all kinds of awesome now, but in the future, it will be unstopable. Er, just don't hold your breath. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2012
    For creative types, one of the best video games to be released in many years. The ability to tear the world down and build it again as your own makes this game well above the typical creativity-based games out there today. I don't think a game has ever made me more excited to build since the first Sims game: highly recommended for anyone who enjoys gaming in general, well worth the purchase price (I also can't understand why there is so much user hate...the game is half the price of the usual crap that's sold today) Expand
  4. Nov 26, 2010
    It's PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The environment is creative and the building and mining is interactive and addictive.
  5. Nov 21, 2011
    I dont know whats up with the people that is scoring this game 0 because of the graphics. AS far as i know the "my score" slider is to rate the game NOT THE GRAPHICS. Now, people writting about repetitive gameplay... how a sandbox game can be repetitive? only will be repetitive if you want! Why dont you go fishing? hunting? farming? this game isnt about breaking and putting blocks! I like this game, i play alot and sure, has lots of bugs, but they're working on it. 10/10 hatters gonna hate. Expand
  6. Jan 29, 2011
    This game is amazing! I really can't wait for this game to be fully released. At it's $14.98 US price tag, this game should not be missed. I am very surprised there are not hundreds or thousands of reviews for this game as popular as it has been recently. The creator has sold over 1 million copies of the game and it is still in beta! That is how great this game is. This game is by far the best indie game I have even played! A must Buy! Expand
  7. May 17, 2012
    After playing this game for two years now, there is still so much to be done. If ever you had a moment in your childhood (or adult life) when all you wanted to do was build some cool stuff with Lego - now you can do it forever on your laptop/PC, phone, or xbox360. This game presents endless hours of fun, and possibilities - and is easy and open enough for even the youngest of players - with no blood/graphic scenes to worry about. Truly a AAA game by an awesome team. For the price you pay - the value is out of the park (I'd put it above the Orange Box when they first came out). Expand
  8. Mar 10, 2011
    0.o Minecraft is insanely addictive yet so very simple. It has soul, it has character, it has creepers. This is gaming at it's finest - back to basics indie development at it's best.
  9. Oct 2, 2010
    The game is truly a wonder of game-design. It features simple, intuitive, and interesting mechanics easily learned on the fly, yet it features an emergent depth of gameplay. The graphics are lo-res, yet charming, and reminiscent of old style 8-bit games, with a 3d touch. For the price, this is one of those games that you will not regret ever getting as before you realize it, you'll have spent hours and hours digging "just one more tunnel. " Expand
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    Minecraft is the best game I have played in years! Having just taken out a 6 month sub playing Rift (which Iâ
  11. Sep 6, 2011
    Flawless. I can't even describe how much fun Minecraft is, and with the impending Adventure Update and Official Release I think it can only get better. It's truely the ultimate sandbox. Some people complain about the graphics, but that's nothing I found annoying. You have blocky pixels for a blocky game, if you wanted groundbreaking graphics then you should try Crysis 2. And if you aren't quite satisfied there are thousands of texture packs available for download. Expand
  12. Nov 18, 2011
    WARNING: This game contains infinite amounts of pain, suffering, and most importantly unadulterated joy. You can do just about anything you set your mind to, and if you can't do it mod it and you then can do whatever your heart tells you to. Then if you can't do something else you can create a computer within Minecraft and make it do what you want it to do.

Final thought, if you can't
    find something to do in this game then you might as well go dig a hole and sit in it. Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2011
    Well...some people pay millions of dollars for fancy graphics, motion-capture and even 3D. Others pay writers to write out a well fleshed-out storyline with many choices. A few claim to offer "sandbox" style of gameplay...but nothing every comes CLOSE to amount of sandbox play style in this game. There is literally limitless potential, and because the world is constantly being generated, there is always somewhere new to go. Not to mention, this is only one mode! There are so many possibilities with modes, some that the single developer is working on, and some being suggested by the community. It's hard to believe a game like this 10 years ago would have been shot down for poor graphics, but now is probably Game of the Year material. Match it with a $20 price tag, I don't think any game will be able to match the addictiveness. Expand
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    The difference between this game and other sandbox games is that you have to work hard to find what your looking for. Sure, you could coat yourself in golden armor and wield a sword of diamond, but you will need to turn an area of land the size of Hawaii to find it all. Which sets it apart from other similar games, with the fact that, while your free to set your own goals in this game, like in all sandbox games, it isn't all given to you. You feel a great sense of accomplishment when you finish one of the goals you set for yourself. The system of achievements giving you a general idea of what you can do in this game. Let your imagination roam free, just make sure it's back by dark, always be back home by nightfall in Minecraft.

The largest complaint I hear about this game is that the graphic are poor, I could not disagree more. Only the cobblestone texture is poor. Nonetheless, a remedy exists for all graphic centric people, this is called "installing a texture pack". Texture packs are commonly found on the popular Minecraft forums, and there is one for all sorts of tastes, though a nice one to find out what you think looks good in Minecraft is the Painterly Pack (http://painterlypack.net/). The website allows you to customize the various textures in Minecraft, there are at least for different texture options for any given block or item in the game.

I highly recommend you buy this game, though don't be surprised if you fall prey to the "Minecrack" and stay up until 1 A.M. on your search for diamonds.
  15. Nov 23, 2010
    when people ask me what is minecraft, i reply "its a game where you mine and craft"
    well. all i can say is iff a game has sold over 600,000 units, and is currently in Alpha and is currently FREE then this proves that minecraft is one of the best, most creative games you will play in a long time. a downside, (which isnt really a downside) is that it is addictive. really really addictive.
    one you start playing, you will not stop, either by creating new stuff or by perfecting existing creations Expand
  16. Nov 30, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This Games is awesome. I couldnt believe it when i first saw it. But men, it got me hooked like a Drug from the start. Starting out on a Island in a World thats 8 Time the Surface of the Earth. Crafting the first Wooden Pickaxle, building your House. And digging just so you find a Cave filled with Gold, iron etc. Gotta watch out for the Zombies though. Traveling to a far away Island for a new beginning. SO much fun Expand
  17. Dec 11, 2012
    This is the best game ever made. I have played it for more than 3000 hours and i haven't even begun to get bored of it. You can do whatever you want! Who the hell doesn't like that?
  18. Dec 23, 2010
    Even if the graphics aren't that good, this game will keep you on the computer for hours! The environment is very well done and the music very soothing and sometimes creepy. Minecraft might be a simple game, but it still can scare the living daylights out of you when you listen to the sounds emitted by the unfriendly monsters that roam the world when night comes.
  19. Jan 1, 2011
    An addictive, simple, yet beautiful game. If you are someone who judges a game by it's graphics, then you will probably dislike this game. However every gamer knows not to judge a game by it's graphics, as a game can be rewarding in different ways, and indeed Minecraft is. A tiny sized game, that has huge potential, and is going to take the world by storm.
  20. Jan 22, 2011
    Enjoy it while you can. This game was and still is incredible, but I get the feeling that it's slipping. The creator, Notch, is a failure of a programmer who should win the prize for the most inefficient coding that has graced this Earth. The core of this game is poorly coded, but Notch chose to ignore it and continue coding to the point where it's too late to do anything about it.

Other
    than that, it's an excellent game with a wonderful concept, but it's only set to get worse as far too many features will be added and will mar the initial charm of the game. (Dragons!? Wtf!? You trying to ruin this game!?) It's a shame the 'engine' for this game is far too poorly coded to be released with an SDK. It would have made this game incredible. My solution? Recode the whole damn thing now, before it get's any worse! Expand
  21. Dec 4, 2012
    Wow! This is cyberspace...and its square. Minecraft is the most truly ground-breaking game of it's time. It offers emergent game-play, a consistent challenge, huge variety and it rewards creativity. It is the only game in existence in which each of the players is able to modify the very terrain and fabric of the world. Minecraft is the first game that functions as an in-game world-editor that lets the players co-create both architecture and adventures. Constantly expanding and versatile enough to create 3-D sculptures that are also working digital-logic circuits. If you don't like Minecraft you must be boring or unimaginative. ; ] Also...try to get over the whole 'cube' thing as there would be no other way to achieve such an ambitious game-style. Truly revolutionary. Expand
  22. Nov 20, 2013
    This game is great, if you don't have it, why not? It's legos for adults. Not only is it fun to build and create, they constantly add more content to the game. Minecraft has been a game that I constantly go back to and find myself engrossed in days and weeks of crafting and building.
  23. Feb 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a far too addictive game especially online.

You can build everything and everything from Hogwarts School to whole Kingdoms if you wished and the best part is that its available for download meaning you HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT NOW!
  24. Feb 20, 2011
    One of the things often overlooked in game reviews is value. How much for a game and how many hours can you expect out of a game? Minecraft is arguably the best value you can get from a game this generation. Minecraft somehow combines the addictive gameplay of Simcity and Resident Evil, not two games that normally go together. You start the game with no weapons or shelter, just a vast landscape consisting of different 'blocks' of materials that you can cut and shape into tools and building supplies. The only other creatures you see on your horizon (the gameworld is reported to be about eight times the size of the earth) are assorted animals such as pigs and cows. In the first few minutes of gameplay, you start to notice the sun moving across the sky, and it occurs to you that it will soon be getting dark. And this is where Minecraft can turn from a simple looking Lego game with cute quacking ducks into something that is about to scare the hell out of you.

As darkness settles, you can see 'things' shuffle along the beach towards you, making growling noises. Arrows start flying at you from skeleton archers. It occurs to you that spending the afternoon and early evening exploring your world was possibly not the most productive use of your time. Building a shelter close to where you initially spawned is the first order of business. And this is where the 'mine' and 'craft' come in.

By chopping down a tree with your hands, you can get wood. With wood you can create a workbench to make tools such as an pick, axe or sword. Once you have a pickaxe, you can tackle harder materials like stone or iron by digging into the earth or chipping away at cavern walls. And with these better materials, you can use your workbench to make stronger tools, weapons and armor. By the time the moon comes up on your first night, you won't have time to make an impregnable castle fortress, but at least you should be able to put up four walls and make a door, windows and roof. In the morning, the monsters that kept you a prisoner in your home at night burn up from the morning's sun, making it safe once again to explore.

This when when you'll start to figure out that better materials are buried at deeper levels. And shortly after that, you'll realize that deep in your mine (or anywhere that lacks a light source) the monsters are waiting for you. There is genuine fear of being killed, because if you are it means you drop all of items you were holding, carrying or wearing at that spot, and you re-start at your initial spawn point that could be miles away, assuming you can even remember where that was.

Minecraft offers addictive gameplay mixed with creativity. Later, as you progress through the game (there aren't any 'levels', you just craft better weapons and items) you can aid your exploring by making boats, a compass that always points toy your spawn area, a watch (so you know if it's dark when you emerge from your mine), even to a minecart rail system! With a strong sword and good armor, you're now able to defend yourself from *most* monsters (called MOBS), allowing you to focus on building whatever you want. I recommend you check out a few Youtube videos of what people with time and imagination can come up with. For really large projects, such as a life-size USS Enterprise... this is where the multiplayer aspect of the game really shines.

Together, a group on a server can build entire cities. Players can download or create their own player skins to maintain a bit of style while swinging that diamond pick-axe to bore through tunnels that run under the ocean. Servers can chose to offer players any materials they need to aid in the construction. Again, check online to see just what is possible! Online games also allow you to build without fear of Mobs, which at that point really turns the game into a sim builder.

The game also features different climates, so you might spend one day on a sunny beach, and the next hiking across a mountain through the snow. You can explore (and create) lava pools, waterfalls, and occasionally you'll stumble across dungeons. These have chests with loot in them, and a spawn cage that creates the Mobs (there's seven different ones, but I've chosen not to mention one in particular that will eventually give you nightmares). Using torches that you create from wood sticks and coal (of course) keep you from being in the dark underground, and if you surround a Mob spawn cage with torchlight, it will remain safely dormant.

Expect to lose yourself in this game for many, many hours. Minecraft (still in beta) is currently about $15, so get in while it's still half price. Beta simply means it's still under development, so items are constantly being added. Great value indeed!
  25. Mar 25, 2011
    This is the most creative and time killer game ever. I never played AOE or HOMM like this. It's not perfect at all this time but will. I think they must recode entire game because of lack fps and huge resource usage. Although i gave it 10. Because I am a fanatic :)
  26. Jun 30, 2011
    Minecraft is so interesting and original that it makes me piss blood. It is the definition of a game which is not overrated at all. I have aspersers and am a fat autistic neck beard.
    Luckily the game is filled with novelty. While most games these days have sickeningly horrid graphics filled with realism. I have NEVER loved a game for it's graphics before, but this... this is just perfect.
    I mean for starters you can give this game a perfect score, it has 70's graphics yet it came out last year and thatâ Expand
  27. Nov 27, 2011
    Minecraft is an incredible game. I love the survival aspects of it, how you can make your own stories and do whatever you want! The mods are great, multiplayer fun and there are very few bugs now. The out of memory bug can be solved simply by downloading java x64 (rather than the x32 that is installed.) great fun game.
  28. Mar 12, 2011
    No game that has ever existed has created an immersion as large as minecraft has done.

Using as simple as a program as java, 1 man (yes, 1 man) named notch, with a brilliant idea, has made millions. Companies such as Mojang should set a large example for huge companies with massive developers overlooking them. Gaming today is turning from a passion to a "get rich quick scheme", where
    people create games not out of loving to make them, but out of the lust for money.*COUGH* Treyarch, EA, IW, Bungie*COUGH*.

When you see a company, the underdog, shoving a fist up the asses of the EA'S of the owrld (rhetorically of course), you seem to want to root them on by buying there games....

what the hell am I talking aout... I forgot where I was going with this.

Good game, immersive, and fun.
  29. Mar 17, 2011
    Minecraft is just one of those games that has limitless possibilities. The basic concept can be described as a massive world of legos. From spawn, you can build whatever you want with the resources you find. Of course, there are many mods that allow people that arent so crazy about the scavenging for resources to simply build without obstruction. You can share your masterpieces with your friends, or download user-created mini-games and puzzles within the minecraft universe. MInecraft is perfect for any one who is creative and enjoys building to expressive themselves. Unlike Lego's, we can play this without feeling (and looking) stupid. Expand
  30. Mar 25, 2011
    A great game to build, get together, and survive.

It has two game types so far; Survival (with multiplayer) and Classic. Classic is a building game-mod and is free to play. Survival is not free but has way more options than classic.

You have limitless possibility's to what you want to build or do on minecraft.

I recommend this game to almost everyone.
  31. Mar 17, 2012
    Simply put a lot of fun. I never gave this game a try until a year after it was first announced. The idea never seemed to intrigue me. A friend than asked me to play with him. Next hing i know, i had no job and my social life had deteriorated. I built an entire city with a friend, with sky bridges and castles, and a mining underground reaching the lowest depths of the game. I built armor, i had a water elevator and everything. This is the ultimate co op game and if you have a party it is even better. Expand
  32. Mar 28, 2011
    just to start you off, this game is AMAZING!!!! the concept is quite simple, yet even more effective than quite a few games, even games you have to pay $60 or so for. Though the single player is absolutely great for the first little while, it does eventually get boring, however, as most games do, the multi player makes it worth the $15 or $20 bucks you pay to own it for life. The best part of this game is how excellently it executes the creative side of your brain, you must think of how you make items using different items and in what pattern they must be in, or how exactly you can make a pyramid almost a third of a mile wide. Overall this game deliver something like no other ( except for dwarf fortress and infiniminer.) some may use an argument such as " oh, it is really pixely!!!" this is a comment which should be thought about, for each map is 8 times the surface of the earth which is 51,200,000,000 cubic meters... that would take low resolution in order to handle that much. Expand
  33. Mar 26, 2011
    Here's a few things I love about Minecraft, in no particular order:

- The open-ended gameplay. With a little thought, you can accomplish almost anything you want. The artistically inclined will certainly find a niche to fill somewhere in here.
    - The graphics. Testament to the fact that photo-realism need not be a requirement in today's game market. Those who prefer prettied-up games may
    avoid Minecraft for this reason.
    - Exploration. The game world is generated by complex algorithms which create stunning, completely unique formations on a whim. There's a sense of discovery here akin to that which was felt by European explorers when they first set sail to distant Atlantic islands all those years ago.
    - The monsters. The skeletons wielding bows, the zombies that inexplicably drop feathers, and the horrendous ghasts of the Nether are quirky, but fearsome. They're simple, effective antagonists. How many other games are best-known by an image of their villain? (Don't answer that, there's probably a lot!)
    - The mechanics. They're simple, and (for the most part) make sense. Building, crafting, and mining are handled in a way that makes even the most laborious of tasks seem interesting. Never before have I kept playing a game after digging into a dark, clammy cave, getting knocked off of a ledge by a green ball of slime, falling into lava, and losing everything in my inventory.
    - The music. C418's small, simple melodies fit perfectly into the world of Minecraft- doing well to characterize the game's attitude with itself and to create dissonance and assonance with in-game events. The melody of a piano can be calming or frightening depending on what you're doing as you listen. Overall, Minecraft is a good fit for me. It's the sort of game I wish was made more often. It isn't harsh or in-your-face, trading the attitudes associated with most video games for those of board games or building blocks. It's a toy, meant to be enjoyed, not mastered. It's the best game I've played in a long while.
  34. Mar 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Minecraft is a game you can play for hours and hours, each advancement better than the next. It can be repetitive, but it's usually thrilling to avoid lava, to build huge sky-scrappers, and light the sky up at night. I love this game, I need to play it more. Expand
  35. Apr 12, 2011
    In a time when the gaming industry is becoming more and more dominated by developers unwilling to take risks, this is an independent gem, clever and inspired. The best way to describe it is "lego world," but that does it a disservice. It is simply hard to put a label on the game.

You start off in a randomly generated world, no weapons, no items. Your first action will be to punch a tree.
    From there you have ten minutes of in game daytime before night falls. By that time you should have built a shelter and have torches for light. If you survive your first night, the rest is up to you. You can dig a mile below the earth or build skyscrapers up to the clouds. Tools can be shaped to build better tools. You can build waterfalls, glass windows, chests, farm wheat, sugar, cactus, boats, docks, music blocks, switch operated doors and traps, elaborate transportation systems, underwater glass bases, lava pits, gates to hell, skywalks across forests or deserts or snow-covered hills or plains.

The world is yours to shape. Just watch out for creepers.
  36. Nov 23, 2011
    There is something very, very, special about this game. It's ingenious, and boldly defiant of all modern gaming conventions. It's vague, intimidating, and beautiful. You make your own stories, your own objectives, your own game. The feeling you get from putting a door on your first dirt slab house is immensely satisfying, but that feeling only increases until you reach a point where you feel like god standing on your castle with your enchanted diamond sword and network of minecarts and storage of precious materials. I can already predict, that this game will be looked back on as one of the most important games of a generation, as it's randomly generated worlds and subtle complexity will be the future of all games. This is the start of true open world, a true role playing experience. Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    Minecraft is simple as can be yet vast and intricate. Many negative reviews of minecraft say that the problem is 'there is only so much you can do'. But the creation is limited by your imagination, and in my opinion its not fair to say that you're being limited by anything other than your imagination. furthermore, even if you have an incredibly limited imagination, the game has an infrastructure and basic goals that still allow you to have fun. Expand
  38. Apr 18, 2011
    Minecraft can get bored very soon, it is also difficult to learn. But, when you learn how and what to craft, you probably can see all the possibilities. Also if are kind of explorer or creative person, you will find whole new world from it.

Me and kids (from 3 to 7 yrs) have many, many hours with Minecraft. Because it is work in progress, I'm sure we will spend many more hours yet.

Note!
    There can be zombies, skeletons, giant spiders, etc. in game. Adult should be present, and least for starters ;) Expand
  39. Dec 4, 2011
    There is a zen tranquility to Minecraft that might not appeal to everyone, but this game offers a unique and engaging outlet for creative expression. If you still haven't tried Minecraft and you are actually reading through user reviews in order to make your final decision, just go for itâ
  40. Dec 5, 2011
    People who don't like this game are unintelligent, immature, retards. Graphics don't make a game. If you think they do then you are the CANCER KILLING GAMING. This game makes you try at something. Which most modern gamers lack. You guys want a checkpoint and guns to be in everything. Minecraft is for creative people who like to be imaginative. If you don't have an imagination then don't bother playing this game. Don't try to say that you have an imagination and try playing this. You won't like it and you wasted your time. If you are a creative and imaginative person, and always have that little need for exploring in your head. Then this game is for you. If all you want it good graphics and guns. Then don't waste your time. Expand
  41. Apr 21, 2011
    If you need linear gameplay, avoid this game. If you need pseudo-realistic graphics, avoid this. If you need a plot driven game, avoid this. If you hate being told what to do, this is the game to end all. Don't like the world? make a new, completely random one. Don't like the textures? change them. Bored with mining? take all those blocks and build a ten story tall castle shaped like longcat. Bored with the gameplay? install one of the -thousands- of user created mods and play an entirely new game. Expand
  42. May 4, 2011
    This game, even if he isn't not finished yet, is already a classic that can only be bettered, By its excellent gameplay, it's originalities, and its strong community, must be put as a dictionary definition of awesomeness.
  43. Apr 27, 2011
    This game isn't finished yet, but is already a masterpiece! When you start playing Minecraft, it's impossible to stop! If you like any sort of videogame, you must play this!
  44. May 10, 2011
    Minecraft is a game in which you build stuff, not only to destroy. I mean, it's simple and the graphics are bad, but feels so creative and its... addicting. You can explore and create almost anything you want. The sky and bedrocks the limit. Play the game! If you want to try it out for free, like this page and then click on this site to play Beta for free. This is what my friends play on, and I will share this with you: http://minecraftforfree.com/play.php
    Copy and paste this onto URL.
  45. Oct 26, 2011
    I bought Minecraft when it was still in Alpha stage. Before even the smooth lightning feature! I have seen Minecraft grow from a simple alpha version to an incredible, immersive game. I don't care if the graphics look outdated because I can just install a texture pack. I built so much in my world and I literally CANNOT wait for the full release!
  46. Nov 20, 2011
    Minecraft is the only game since perhaps Morrowind that has left me feeling amazed, terrified and peaceful all at the same time. As a person who has continually grown jaded towards the design of new games, Minecraft has been exactly what I need.
  47. Nov 23, 2011
    I change my opinion about Minecraft. Back when it was 1.6 or 1.7 it was hard to find lots of cool things to do when you built a awesome house, had diamond weapons and armor, etc. Now, at the full release, we have leveling up, hunger, creative mode, hardcore mode, and so many other new features to keep you glued in your seat.
  48. May 16, 2011
    Sandbox is a word that gets thrown around too much with games, however, Minecraft is truly a video game version of a sandbox. The limits to this game are only your imagination and time, as you can literally build anything and everything you can think of in this game. Now, I know that being in Beta, we are only touching the tip of the iceberg, but I would truly recommend this game to anyone with an imagination and a whole bunch of free time. Expand
  49. Apr 23, 2012
    I just don't know what to write. It's so obvious! One of the best games I played in the last 20 years. Game, where only your imaginations limits you and your imagination is your modus operandi...

P.S. And the graphics are just... beautiful and moody ;)
  50. May 25, 2011
    If you haven't bough this, buy it now! This game has 3D pixels for graphics, and the maps are made of FREAKING BLOCKS! Multiplayer is a hit because you can build with your friends or with a 16-year old Scottish dude. Simple but marvelous gameplay makes this one of the best PC games in my opinion.
  51. Jun 3, 2011
    A brilliant game, whoever complains about graphics is just dumb because Minecraft is about simply about creativity and the ease of building and the feeling of accomplishment whenever you do.
    Minecraft has kept me entertained for 10 months now. 10000% worth it
  52. Nov 23, 2011
    This game deserves a ten - not because it is perfect - but because it is perfectly addictive and the best example of substance over style when creating a fun and emnminently replayable game. I too have been playing since the alpha and have only scratched the surface of all that there is to do and that I want to do in the game! This game also is super friendly to modders who will continue to transform this game into new and amazing things long after Notch and his team has put his final touch on it. If I was not at work right now - I would not be writiing this review - I would be at home playing this game. Expand
  53. Jun 6, 2011
    The game is amazing, the world is like 10x bigger than earth itself, the blocky graphics make it a good thing, as if the graphics were Crysis-Like, the game would lag to hell, and it already does at times. It has a large variety of mods and you can build HUGE ass places, you will never be in the same place again after you generate a new world, every world is unique and different, there will be not one thing identical about sepearte worlds. All-in-all, the retards that claimed the graphics were bad are graphics-whores and don't know a good game when they see one.

[REUPLOADED DUE TO INVALID RATING]
  54. Dec 8, 2011
    Since people like lists ill list just some of the features in this game. - crafting - mining - fighting - exploring - gathering - breeding - farming - jumping - swimming - running - building - killing - eating - wood chopping - smelting - raining - lightning - planting - nethering - sleeping - customizing - sailing - enchanting - digging - shaving - slaughtering - socializing ....the list could go on but i ran out of words with" ing " Expand
  55. Jun 9, 2011
    Ignoring the graphics, Minecraft isn't really a game, it's a drug, an amazing drug. I understand the reasoning of the low graphics as most computers won't be able to run the game at all if the graphics level were higher like higher resolution blocks, but most imperfections can be fixed with mods found in the forums, adding in more depth to the game like a high resolution mod or guns or even a pink creeper.

The game is simple, build, mine, fight, yet the creator, Notch, keeps expanding on this Idea and keeps this game fresh with every update, considering that it's still in beta. Definitely worth the buy.

And a quote to the harsh reviewers (Most are giving low scores due to graphics)
    "If a pirated download is a loss sale, should negative reviews be illegal?"
    Markus Perrson, Mojang AB, Minecraft Developer
  56. Nov 24, 2011
    The game offers original concept and total freedom, while access to the code itself allows modders to do literally anything. This game is an ultimate sandbox and while it may not be equally fun to everyone (certain I got bored pretty fast), it is hands down brilliant.
  57. Jun 17, 2011
    Bad Graphics, Lame and Not worth my time when I have better games to be going on with are some of the comments I am usually associated with regarding this game. But Nieve people who believe this are sincerely misled, the graphics are what give this game it's unique retro feel and those of you out there who do not believe this do not give the game a chance which it very much deserves! The general jist (if that's how you spell it) is to both Mine and Craft..Duh! You must mine the raw elements needed to advance in the game IE; Diamond, Iron and Coal. And then Craft tools out of these elements to use against fighting zombies, building houses and generally advancing through the game! Firstly you a spawned at a random spot in an infinitely random world which is always one of a kind. Your primary objective on the first day is to build a shelter and make pretty basic tools to copinside with the onslaught of various amazing mobs that are coming your way at dusk. The mobs consist of Creepers- Exploding Green Penis looking things. Skeletons- which shoot a lot of arrows at you from the darkness Zombies- Which are err...Zombies and Spiders- Which are spiders. Most of these can be seen while you are adventuring the countless caverns that are laid randomly underneath your world! So Overall An amazing game which offers countless hours of enjoyment without you even thinking about It.. A must buy! Expand
  58. Jun 19, 2011
    It's a good, awesome, perfect and interesting game. i am recommended this for all my friends.
    in this game am possible build and dig and fight with a pig and simply to live.
  59. Jul 31, 2011
    Explore - Adventure - Build - Destroy. This game is everything to everyone, minecraft is the most creative thing to come along in years and years, let's hope it stays awesome.
  60. Jun 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is brilliant, a truly masterful piece of work. It is simple, yet addictive, and the pure creationism of it allows you to build to your heart's content. There are those who complain about the graphics, but if those people can't get over the graphics and see this brilliant game is then I pity them. And the graphics aren't actually bad at all, they suit the game and are quite charming. Just the thrill of exploring a randomly generated world and finding all kinds of wonderful and peculiar things. And exploring the bowels of the earth, hunting for those elusive diamonds and always looking over your should lest a monster creep up on you. Multiplayer, though still in development, allows players to connect with their friends and build their dream house, castle, fort ,cave, or whatever they may wish. There are also those who would criticise the game's single developer, and we do need to remember that this game is made by one man, Notch works hard to produce this brilliant game, but if he decides that he doesn't want to patch the game, then the game is not patched, god forbid he should ever go on holiday. He may have established an office for Mojang, but it is simply so that he can surround himself with the greatest programming talent in Sweden. If you are even considering buying this game, then you definitely should. I held out for a while but when I finally played this game, I was hooked from the very beginning. For the price it's at it is great value. This is definitely the best indie game that I have played in a long, long time, and at a price that wont break the bank. Expand
  61. Dec 31, 2011
    It features simple, intuitive, and interesting mechanics easily learned on the fly, yet it features an emergent depth of gameplay. I must say this game is a masterpiece even in this late alpha stage
  62. Jul 2, 2011
    One of my favourite games. This game is really fun and will give you hours of entertainment. it is constantly updated as it is still in development. the only bad thing about the game is that it is very addictive and you can waste a lot of time playing.
  63. Jul 4, 2011
    This game is epic!!!You will have tons of fun mining and or just building what you want,plus it has tons of mods that will add to the awesomeness, I highly Recommend this game for the price
  64. Jul 7, 2011
    Minecraft has risen to a great success because of it's loyal fan base. The game has good graphics (It's what the developer wanted to be) and might have infinite replay-ability thanks to the constant updates and the creativity of some of the fan base.
  65. Jul 10, 2011
    This game is the best game i've ever played. I've been hooked on it for 2 years, starting from early alpha.
    Even better in multiplayer! I've had so much fun with this game. This review doesn't explain how the game is good, im just saying... YOU MUST GET THIS GAME!
  66. Jul 17, 2011
    Pretty damn hard to say anything bad at all about this game. I love building things even on the classic servers where there's no survival. I find the regular survival Minecraft enticing as well. I enjoy building shelters and waiting out the night. Maybe I just like sandbox games in general.
  67. Oct 18, 2011
    Pure, unadulterated fun. If you have a creative mind for Minecraft, be prepared to spend a portion of your life on this game. And considering this game is still in the beta stage, I'm having a hard time trying to hold my breath for when this actually gets released.
  68. Jul 21, 2011
    Don't you dare listen to those that criticize it for it's "gay graphics" and "pointlessness". Minecraft's graphics are purposely pixelated, and that in no way automatically makes it horrible. It adds a very touching charm to the game. People these days don't seem to have any fondness of charming things and would rather up their K/D ratio. Minecraft is anything but pointless. You have to create your OWN fun. "What's that? The developers were too lazy to make the fun for you? DRAMATIC GASP!" Wrong, they have supplied you with an extremely hearty amount of extremely hearty things that you can have an extremely hearty amount of fun with. If you wanted to, you could: Build, anything from an underground troll hole to the most freakin' awe-inspiring cathedral to ever grace the virtual (ore real) world; Mine, in a randomly-generated world where you can destroy, pickup and change EVERYTHING, the world is your's to sculpt; Create, fantastic contraptions using a special electricity-conducting ore called Redstone to power block-moving pistons, music-making note blocks, noob-pwning traps (one guy even made a functioning computer the size of a continent!); Craft; using an intuitive crafting system, craft things by forming the general shape of the tool with the items you have; Explore, there's fantastic cloud-raping mountains and dark scary caves with monsters waiting for you to find them, there's even an alternate hell dimension for you to conquer! Expand
  69. Nov 22, 2011
    Probably one of the best games ever created in the history of man..........................................................................................................
  70. Jul 27, 2011
    This game is the definition of the word time-waster, but it is so damned addicting that it makes you forget all about that. at first glance of the game it looks like a crappy Lego, game but actually playing it blows your mind. it's so unique and intriguing that it deserves a class of its own. I say if you have 20 dollars and 6 hours to kill give it a look.
  71. Nov 24, 2011
    Minecraft is probably the most innovative game since Doom. It is not a normal game, it created a whole new genre. It really deserves the perfect score.
  72. Sep 7, 2014
    It has infinite options for gameplay, expansion with mods for every more variety, and a social aspect via server play. What more can you want from a game? This game will define a generation.
  73. Jul 30, 2011
    Simply the best virtual Lego simulator out there complete with monster pieces and crafting recipes! The best deal/hours played ratio that I could ever imagine...
  74. Sep 14, 2011
    Very, very addictive game and this is one of the best game of 2011 and one of my favorite. You can create your ideal world oneself or with friends. This game is for everyone. I started play Minecraft 1 year ago and play now. New version is really great. I advice this game all creative people...... or everyone ;) Rate 10/10.
  75. Dec 20, 2011
    Minecraft is YOUR story in the the telling. The game is as good as your imagination. Multiplayer with family and friends is amazing. You will revisit old worlds with a deep sense of nostalgia. Those that give MInecraft a low score are, sadly, really only rating themselves.
  76. Sep 11, 2011
    It's a beautiful game! Created with every single detail from the real world when I sit in front of the computer starts Minecraft I fell FREE! And no one can tell me what to do! It's the real world in a game. Build your home protect it! Loads of stuff to do! Hail Notch :)
  77. Aug 20, 2011
    There are never too many great building games. Minecraft is one of the best. If you played with legos in your childhood you've got to love this. The idea is simple, put blocks and remove blocks. This easy mechanism allows you to create whatever you want. And it's cheap too.
  78. Aug 22, 2011
    This game is not simple. Lots of things to craft, multiple mobs, a huge variety of blocks, and redstone enable you to accomplish incredible things. Its mod-friendly environment allow you to improve the graphics, add new items, mobs, and blocks. This game is well worth the price.
  79. Aug 31, 2011
    One of the best games I have ever played. If you don't like the graphics GET A **** TEXTURE PACK. I can be bad if you don't look up a tut (no tutorials or guides in-game). I highly recommend this to anyone who has some creativity and enjoys giant, randomly generated worlds (getting to one end of one takes 850-1000 hours,) and has a lot of time.
  80. Nov 23, 2011
    I have played Minecraft since Alpha and a lot of changes had occurred in the game over time, Notch dose frequent updates and adds new content to the game and said he will continue to do so in till the game has stooped being sold and im going to venture its not going to stop selling for along time. i will say this is the best indie game of all time and matches up agents the big companys like Bethesda, valve, bioware, all of them. Great job Mojang love the game and glad to see that Minecraft is now released :) Expand
  81. Nov 27, 2011
    This is easily the best PC game I've played in years. There's so much content here, and that content keeps getting expanded on month after month after month. It started out as a small sort of Lego game, then mining got expanded, then building got expanded, we got minecarts, redstone circuitry to make complex machines, we got more mobs to go out and fight, biomes to explore. Snowlands, huge mountains, vast deserts. RPG mechanics, villagers, -pistons-... and there's more on the way. On top of that the game is highly moddable, the likes of which I, as a big time modder, haven't experienced much of since Morrowind, Half-Life 2, and Civ4. Expand
  82. Sep 1, 2011
    Minecraft is an amazing game that is updated frequently. Its definitely worth playing. The game play style is extremely addictive. I would recommend this game to anyone out there. The graphics arent a problem, in fact the graphics define minecraft and makes it unique. The graphics remind me of good games I used to play. The game is also very expansive and complex. The terrain is infinite and once an update has been patched, nearly every bug is purged from the game. It is easy to play and content is added frequently. Expand
  83. Sep 7, 2011
    The 2nd Best Indie Game EVAR!!!!!
    Apart from the fact that sometimes it's hard to come up wih something to do, so a bit too free for all, this game is the best 3d indie game, like a 3d (WHYDOESHEKEEPSAYINGTHREEDEE???!!!) 8 bit game. At night monsters come out and try to KILL YOU OF DEATH and the whole game is an amazing experience. Because there is no point of the game (that sounded...
    negative) there is no actual replay value, which means the game is infinite!!!! (Once I craft everything that's what I call completion...)
    Anyways:

+ Me likes graphics
    + It goes on forever
    +Mods, texture packs and more
    + Only in Beta: Imagine in November when the game is released... HEAVEN
    - Sometimes confusing...

95%
  84. Jan 19, 2012
    A great creative game that I spent a lot of hours on, the fact that you can almost do anything is the thing that usually sucks me in, plus, the graphics although not super good, are great at making the feel of minecraft.
  85. Oct 10, 2011
    Great game. I have played it a lot. When I first saw people playing it I though "this is dumb but I know I will enjoy it immensely." This game is like virtual 3d Legos it is the best.
  86. Dec 5, 2011
    I love this game! If you like building 'n crafting games you will like this! You can deal with zombies, skeletons, and more or you can live peacefully building your own things, crafting good items or you go to the mines, get coal, gold, iron and even diamonds and use everything for your own benefit! You can be an efficient builder, miner, designer, fisher, hunter and all of this in multiplayer feature! I highly recommend this game if you have creativity to spare or just like fighting monsters. Expand
  87. Sep 24, 2011
    This game is very fun, addicting, and innovative. I have played since Alpha. I will continue to play even after it is released, because even then updates will still be available. My friends love it, though others might say it has "stupid blocky graphics." But they need to learn that graphics don't make the game, it's how fun it is. You should get this game if you haven't!
  88. Dec 23, 2011
    This game is huge. Worth the money for both singleplayer and multiplayer. People who download it and don't wanna buy it lose alot of epic fun. If you have friends who love games like this, then convince them to buy this game with you. To be honest, this is the most creative-block game ever (I still haven't seen Terraria...), Oh and uh, by the way, this game has "lame" graphics because it's so huge that if it had good graphics, ever a computer worth 1,000,000 bucks would have exploded epicly, so you might as well download a texture pack... Expand
  89. Nov 23, 2011
    I'm surprised that roughly 1 in 7 people scored this game negatively (325 positive vs 47 negative at the time of this review), but then I realized that this game's detractors mostly attack the graphics and "slow" development, and the game's "boring" nature. As for the graphics, believe it or not, there is appeal in styling it with a retro-pixelated feel. Certainly some people wish every game had a team of 3,000 people working on it and a budget close to a Pirates of the Caribbean movie, like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty titles. And I enjoy my fair share of big budget titles, but I'm not dependent on graphics to allow me to enjoy a game, and anyone who is dependent on graphics over gameplay is set up for disappointment not only in this game, but in gaming in general. In this same reasoning, they are a company who has made 1 game, they are still a small developer, AND everyone who is complaining about features bought into the game while in development. I wonder if they'd complain so much if they were trusted to play a beta version of Madden that it wasn't still fresh after a full year of development.
    As for complaints about the game being boring, it's due to the (strangely) realistic nature of the game, in as such that you are alone in the middle of nowhere, and starting with no tools other than your hands. It does take time to assemble a comfortable zone for your player in game, and you are constantly learning through trial-and-error of ways to do things faster and better. The game isn't boring as much as it's lonely. And that's the intention of the developers, and it's certainly not a flaw or drawback to this game. And for those who need company in their games, the multiplayer option exists. I've actually been fortunate enough to have a desktop at home and my own laptop, and my girlfriend used her laptop along with mine to connect to our own server on my desktop, which allowed for a great 2-player game. All in all, the game is great, and the critical reviews explain why. I just wanted to counter the negative user reviews, because sadly, sometimes in every 7 people there is 1 person who can't be satisfied.
  90. Dec 11, 2011
    Minecraft is a game that grabs you or revolts you. Of course, I can see how many people dislike how simple and dull the game may look. But too all of you who complain about the game's look, I say: Go back to playing Crysis. If you like hyper realistic but bland and repetitive games, fine. But don't dare to touch this gem of a game with your greasy, filthy hands, you spoiled, snotty kid!
    Minecraft is simply the sandbox genre in it's purest form (yet). There is simply no limit to this game, literally and figuratively; the world you walk around in is endless, as is the creativity of both the player and the community (in the form of mods and custom maps).
    I have been playing this game endlessly, alone, with friends or on a big server with dozens of co-builders. There are no clans, no pvp maps, no strategic games... unless you want it to be.
    Whether you like to fight, build or socialize, it's all possible, because everything is possible in Minecraft.
  91. Nov 24, 2011
    One of the best games ever made. The only reason it is really getting hated upon is because of its art style and updates. Both of which are nothing to complain about even if you don't like the game.
  92. Mar 27, 2012
    An amazing game that's just .. i don't think that there's a word for it. It is just such a wonderful game. With the addictive content i think that this is a game that just needs to be played, even for once, just for trying. The game is really a first for the indie game collection. Totally different from the other FPS or any other popular mainstream game. I just LOVE it, highly recommended !
  93. Nov 4, 2011
    this game is amazing. i used to obsess about graphics but this game taught me you don't need graphics for a good game. I've been playing since alpha and i will continue to play hopefully forever. i can't wait for the full release. and i wish mojang the best. the first time i found diamonds i was so excited i did a back flip and screamed OMG DIAMONDS :D
  94. May 7, 2012
    kiddies need to flame this game because it has bad graphics.

u never played diablo 2, nes, snes, c64 and this old things did you? u cant imagine how awesome minecraft is because u guys think its overrated without playing it for even one hour. just shut up kids and nonames born after 1980 and play your boring games that require zero skill and brain. minecraft is for the creative ones in
    our society, like me. but there are like 10% of humans only that can even imagine what to build in this game. dont be disappointed guys, you are just dumb people that cant imagine the great things you can do with this game. play your **** and shut the **** up if real gamers are playing. Expand
  95. Nov 27, 2011
    This is just amazing, there is so many things you can do, but few updates then this will be completed. Minecraft maybe need story or something but community will help you mods, servers, texture packs, those is why this is so damn good and without those, this is still very good game.
  96. Nov 2, 2011
    Finally, a fun game for kids-to-adults which harnesses one's imagination. Once you get past the blocky visuals, you get drawn in by the freedom and possibilities of a virtual open world unlike any other game I've yet seen. In fact, the simplicity of the fundamentals of this game -- everything is made of equally-sized cubes -- is one of its greatest strengths. Compared to some other much fancier games offering user-generated content (e.g. Virtual Life, Little Big World, Lego Universe), there is no barriers of entry in Minecraft -- anyone can do it, regardless of one's technical or artistic aptitude. Once inside, the possibilities are endless. You can immerse yourself alone or bring your friends and collaborate together via a server. Don't like the default 8-bit look? There are mods aplenty. Prefer just building over adventuring? Go Creative Mode. If you are going to spend a ton of time gaming on your PC, you can't do much better than this. Expand
  97. May 14, 2012
    One of the best games I've ever played. The only things that annoys me are the various bugs and the fact that it is written in Java making it unplayable on older computers. Especially the restone circuitry is buggy as hell. The same circuit has a different behavior if you flip it horizontally (face it to another direction) like the EW and NS axis matters in how redstone works. Also various other very old bugs still exist for some reason. To be honest I'd prefer someone fixing those to adding cats to the game (which were so lovable of course). Would be 10/10 if it didn't have those bugs. Expand
  98. Nov 4, 2011
    To be honest, this game is basically better than most games that you can buy for the Xbox 360/PS3 Ect.

I own a copy myself and I have been hooked. The sandbox nature of peoples minds is in this game. There is no structure to the game itself, no story, but it doesn't need that. It is a masterpiece. It is the best game that I have ever owned.
  99. Nov 22, 2011
    BEST GAME IN HISTORY. A very creative game that takes long to get bored. It is huge open map where you can do anything, whenever i want for e.g i can even save in the middle of the map and then chose to join that map again. It's just amazing too amazing took me a long time to get bored of it and in the 1.0 full release everything i want is there
  100. Nov 21, 2011
    Why does this game get 10 points from me? It's obviously neither graphically nor technologically advanced, nor even up to current standards. That said, it is one of very few recent games that were not a re-hash of something that was already popular, with slightly new story and slightly better visual effects. While most of the industry is stagnating and even top titles rarely bring something new to the table, Minecraft is (reasonably - it's also not an entirely origianl idea) new experience at a much lower price tag than the industry standard re-hashes. Even in the same genre, where other survival games mostly focus on surviving against hordes of enemies, Minecraft's approach is refreshingly different. Where else can you build elaborate machinery to do the slaughtering for you and automated forts that offer safe harbor? Even if you only play it in the recently released creative mode, it's the digital box of legos that you always wanted but that, somehow, Lego themselves never really got around to making. Expand
  101. May 10, 2011
    Copy and paste this onto URL.

1. Feb 6, 2012
    The 1.0 version of the indie phenomena is still obviously unfinished and flawed in many ways, but it's so easy to forget that when you're building your dream castle, exploring scary caves and vast mountain ranges and having a great time in its blocky world.
  2. Jan 30, 2012
    While Minecraft may not be everybody's cup of tea, I doubt anyone can deny that it's an important step into new territory.
  3. Jan 29, 2012
    A must-play title - as much a part of videogaming as it is anything else. [Issue#118, p.102]