Miner Wars 2081 PC

6.0

1. Nov 28, 2012
    I want to like this game, but I don't. I got both the pre-alpha, and this one. In essence, this is a space action game. What you see on the screen, like ship customization is fluff, you can put on some weapons, but it's not quite as good as games like Space Rangers, so don't be deceived. I found the 6 DOF combat to be lacking. Yes, the ship can rotate, but I have not seen the up/downI want to like this game, but I don't. I got both the pre-alpha, and this one. In essence, this is a space action game. What you see on the screen, like ship customization is fluff, you can put on some weapons, but it's not quite as good as games like Space Rangers, so don't be deceived. I found the 6 DOF combat to be lacking. Yes, the ship can rotate, but I have not seen the up/down button, the equivalent of jump and crouch in action games, that would make flying in this game much better. I'm not really enjoying the combat mechanics that much. There's no shield. Once the enemy hits your armor, you are SOL - there's no way to repair a ship, unless you find one of the repair boxes or buy a repair kit. There's no rechargeable shield, and I find myself replaying battles too many times, even on normal difficulty. I tried the mining part, and am not really impressed by it: the screen shakes and there's black dust covering half the screen. This gives me 5 credits, if sold, and my ship can hold about 16 units. A repair kit costs 6000 credits. I really don't see myself mining for hours in this game.

I don't really understand why I have to run out of fuel so quickly.
  2. Dec 1, 2012
    Do not buy this game for multiplayer. As of the time of this post, multiplayer is only working for a minority of people. Do not buy this expecting a sandbox-ish open world game.

This game is still in a very beta stage. Graphics are on par with the 10 year old Freelancer.

Still giving a 5 as it's current single-player is fun despite the always-on DRM.
  3. Dec 8, 2012
    Once you get things setup correctly you can almost play it. The Internet connection requirement when the game starts is the worst DRM one can have. There are lots of bugs (going from full armor to no armor in 1 hit for example). the game just isn't good.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    This is a first glance review, ok? Obviously it's indie, graphics aren't great and the story is a bit hard to follow. But good on them for coming up with a totally different story/setting, and completely free 3D environment. It feels like the old game, Descent, but more fun. There's not much of a tutorial explaining things (none, in fact) and during the first mission when you start lookingThis is a first glance review, ok? Obviously it's indie, graphics aren't great and the story is a bit hard to follow. But good on them for coming up with a totally different story/setting, and completely free 3D environment. It feels like the old game, Descent, but more fun. There's not much of a tutorial explaining things (none, in fact) and during the first mission when you start looking at the key mapping, it doesn't pause and the baddies keep shooting you while you're trying to work it out. Loading times are also very long, but they provide an excuse. Sound is fairly tame, and there's no sense of real physics. When you stop your spaceship's throttle, your ship suddenly stops. Not at all realistic, but the alternative would make for trickier gameplay. Time will tell whether it's worth $20. I'm going to play it some more, for sure. It is different, at least. Expand
  5. Jan 17, 2013
    Another desperate attempt to squeeze some money from canonical title. Game is not "Descent", its not even close to Descent. Poor design, ugly battle mechanic, weird multi-functional repair boxes, paranoid storyline with China, Russia and so one. Graphics can be better and loading times are shorter. Sound and music... yes, there are sound and music in the game, not worth mentioning anyway.Another desperate attempt to squeeze some money from canonical title. Game is not "Descent", its not even close to Descent. Poor design, ugly battle mechanic, weird multi-functional repair boxes, paranoid storyline with China, Russia and so one. Graphics can be better and loading times are shorter. Sound and music... yes, there are sound and music in the game, not worth mentioning anyway. Overall - waste of money. Collapse

1. Jun 10, 2013
    Fans of the old Descent games will go mental, no doubt about it. Miner Wars 2081 will also be a blast for gamers that want a sci-fi space shooter with an interesting story, charming setting and solid gameplay. [March 2013]
  2. Mar 7, 2013
    Developer Keen Software House has overextended its reach. [March 2013, p.90]
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Miner Wars is a game with great potential, perhaps wasted. Defects are many: poor IA, complex level design, technical sector not great increase the sense of frustration that might have been.