Miner Wars 2081 PC

6.0

1. Nov 28, 2012
    I want to like this game, but I don't. I got both the pre-alpha, and this one. In essence, this is a space action game. What you see on the screen, like ship customization is fluff, you can put on some weapons, but it's not quite as good as games like Space Rangers, so don't be deceived. I found the 6 DOF combat to be lacking. Yes, the ship can rotate, but I have not seen the up/downI want to like this game, but I don't. I got both the pre-alpha, and this one. In essence, this is a space action game. What you see on the screen, like ship customization is fluff, you can put on some weapons, but it's not quite as good as games like Space Rangers, so don't be deceived. I found the 6 DOF combat to be lacking. Yes, the ship can rotate, but I have not seen the up/down button, the equivalent of jump and crouch in action games, that would make flying in this game much better. I'm not really enjoying the combat mechanics that much. There's no shield. Once the enemy hits your armor, you are SOL - there's no way to repair a ship, unless you find one of the repair boxes or buy a repair kit. There's no rechargeable shield, and I find myself replaying battles too many times, even on normal difficulty. I tried the mining part, and am not really impressed by it: the screen shakes and there's black dust covering half the screen. This gives me 5 credits, if sold, and my ship can hold about 16 units. A repair kit costs 6000 credits. I really don't see myself mining for hours in this game.

I don't really understand why I have to run out of fuel so quickly.
  2. Dec 1, 2012
    Do not buy this game for multiplayer. As of the time of this post, multiplayer is only working for a minority of people. Do not buy this expecting a sandbox-ish open world game.

This game is still in a very beta stage. Graphics are on par with the 10 year old Freelancer.

Still giving a 5 as it's current single-player is fun despite the always-on DRM.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    This is a first glance review, ok? Obviously it's indie, graphics aren't great and the story is a bit hard to follow. But good on them for coming up with a totally different story/setting, and completely free 3D environment. It feels like the old game, Descent, but more fun. There's not much of a tutorial explaining things (none, in fact) and during the first mission when you start lookingThis is a first glance review, ok? Obviously it's indie, graphics aren't great and the story is a bit hard to follow. But good on them for coming up with a totally different story/setting, and completely free 3D environment. It feels like the old game, Descent, but more fun. There's not much of a tutorial explaining things (none, in fact) and during the first mission when you start looking at the key mapping, it doesn't pause and the baddies keep shooting you while you're trying to work it out. Loading times are also very long, but they provide an excuse. Sound is fairly tame, and there's no sense of real physics. When you stop your spaceship's throttle, your ship suddenly stops. Not at all realistic, but the alternative would make for trickier gameplay. Time will tell whether it's worth $20. I'm going to play it some more, for sure. It is different, at least. Expand
  4. Dec 8, 2012
    Once you get things setup correctly you can almost play it. The Internet connection requirement when the game starts is the worst DRM one can have. There are lots of bugs (going from full armor to no armor in 1 hit for example). the game just isn't good.
  5. Dec 7, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game and why not, it promised to be a mix of Descent with a expansive feel of a space sim all in a world that was fully destructible. Then the game came out and it wasn't just bad, but it was bad in the most unethical way possible. It promised more than it could deliver -- 360 degrees of missed opportunities.
    The only resemblance to Descent may just be the
    The only resemblance to Descent may just be the out dated and virtually pixelated textures that the game uses, just one part of Miner Wars overall poor art direction with 3D models that make Quake look advanced and colors schemes that came out of a box of Trix.
    Couple this with poor voice acting of a script that a 12 year old wrote along with controls that are inconsistent and just as non-responsive with a graphic engine that makes the most advance GPUs cry and you'll wonder what DRM that requires a constant internet connection is really protecting.

Recommendation: Stay FAR FAR away from this forsaken game.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Jun 10, 2013
    Fans of the old Descent games will go mental, no doubt about it. Miner Wars 2081 will also be a blast for gamers that want a sci-fi space shooter with an interesting story, charming setting and solid gameplay. [March 2013]
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Mar 7, 2013
    Developer Keen Software House has overextended its reach. [March 2013, p.90]
  3. Feb 20, 2013
    Miner Wars is a game with great potential, perhaps wasted. Defects are many: poor IA, complex level design, technical sector not great increase the sense of frustration that might have been.