8.7

1. Jul 16, 2013
    The game itself is certainly fun. It has an ample amount of content and different game modes which you could waste a great amount of time on. The port is very smooth as well. Unfortunately, the core gameplay itself is crucially flawed. The game feels broken and unbalanced, as combo strings seems to last forever. There are literally combos that can hurt you for 100% of your total healthThe game itself is certainly fun. It has an ample amount of content and different game modes which you could waste a great amount of time on. The port is very smooth as well. Unfortunately, the core gameplay itself is crucially flawed. The game feels broken and unbalanced, as combo strings seems to last forever. There are literally combos that can hurt you for 100% of your total health (which I personally think it ridiculous). You will also find yourself infinitely frustrated with certain battles in that game, as they feel extremely unfair (Shao Kahn will let you know the meaning of rage).

The game is fun, with an awesome amount of content and game modes, but ultimately feels broken and unbalanced.
  2. Jul 4, 2013
    Much better than I was hoping for a launch. Plays fast and flawless out of the box (or valve so to speak) maxed out with a HD6950 1gb. Graphics are really good, plays nice on xbox controller with no input lag what so ever. Online runs flawless too. To be honest I have played a few hours now and can't think of any faults. it has local 4 player multiplayer and all the DLC from the xbox andMuch better than I was hoping for a launch. Plays fast and flawless out of the box (or valve so to speak) maxed out with a HD6950 1gb. Graphics are really good, plays nice on xbox controller with no input lag what so ever. Online runs flawless too. To be honest I have played a few hours now and can't think of any faults. it has local 4 player multiplayer and all the DLC from the xbox and PS3 with the game as standard for no extra cost (Freddy Kreuger and the others).

Edited review after 24 hours play. Knocked it down to 7 from 9 because the online is atrociously laggy.
  3. Jul 14, 2013
    Ok, so this game is probably not so bad and it is nice to have some modern fighting game on PC. However, the graphics are from like year 2004 and everything gets way worse during the cutscenes (I can only explain the cutscene graphics quality dropping by developers trolling us deliberately). My biggest complaint is the story mode where you are forced to play a particular character forOk, so this game is probably not so bad and it is nice to have some modern fighting game on PC. However, the graphics are from like year 2004 and everything gets way worse during the cutscenes (I can only explain the cutscene graphics quality dropping by developers trolling us deliberately). My biggest complaint is the story mode where you are forced to play a particular character for several rounds. Everything would be Ok, but making me play as a LIU KANG in order to complete the story is unforgivable. This character is the most lame and stupid one in history of video games. I've hated him back in 95 when I was 10 and my hatred didn't diminish a bit. The noises he makes are beyond retarded and his moves are useless and they all look stupid, not to mention the fact that he is an absurdly outrageous as a storyline character who can boast literally zero interesting traits. There is a reason why MK Conquest creators chose to have a story with Kung Lao as a main character and not to have LK at all. If there was a way to skip those levels or better yet to completely remove LK from existence the game would have been a lot better. Expand
  4. Jul 4, 2013
    Stay away from story mode and you will do just fine. Or learn how to play with each of characters before entering it. Without that you will found yourself frustrated by rapid character switching and complete inability to fight in some cases.
  5. Jul 7, 2013
    STORY MODE CUT-SCENE HAS POOR QUALITY.YOU SHOULD LEARN COMBOS AND IF YOU DON'T IT WILL BE THE WORST GAME OF YOUR LIFE.I LIKED TEKKEN SERIES MORE THAN COMBAT.
  6. Jan 6, 2014
    MK is back with the vengeance! Or is it? Although this one is universally hailed as the game that revived the franchise, it's still light years behind its bitter rival Street Fighter. As it was the case with Midway before, NRS follows the same principle of slacking off. Let's break it down...
    First of all, the graphics: Seem outdated. I noticed everyone praising the smoothness of the gameplay... Well no wonder! With gfx like these, the game should run flawlessly even on older machines! Furthermore, the models are extremely poorly executed, often anatomically incorrect, and I'm not talking about some minor flaws (for reference examine Liu Kang). It's also worth noting that all of the female model templates are exactly the same, a trait shared with at least 10+ male model templates. On the bright side, the backgrounds are really nice.
    Second online play: to summarize in one word garbage! Moving on...
    Third gameplay mechanics: What becomes obvious to anyone who played previous entries in the series is that, despite everything what developers say, the game engine is nothing new. It is polished, reworked so that the fights take place in 2D plane, but, in fact, it dates way back... Perhaps even all the way to Deadly Alliance.
    Fourth: there seems to be a serious balance issue, but this is not Street Fighter and it never was, so who cares?
    Fifth the story: IMO horrible! Back to the future knock off with plenty of plot holes and a truckload of inconsistencies regarding the original timeline. Frankly, I think that the dream match would be a far better solution.
    All in all, strip fatalities from the experience and you're left with a mediocre fighting game that has already paved its way to the oblivion. Fun to play with a friend for a couple of days, perform finishing moves but that's about it.
  7. Jun 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is fun to play in general, but it has a number of serious problems. First, it's easy to make your way through the entire game simply using the basic "throw" maneuver over and over again on every opponent. Works like a charm. Second, the game dynamics are completely broken when you meet Shao Khan. In order to make him "tough", the game cheats, violating every rule in the book. He is unthrowable, has unblockable attacks, can "stun" you, freezing your movement and controller, even without hitting you, just after you launch a successful attack on him. Basically, you have to use glitch cheating to kill him or slowly pound away by leaping in and out with uppercuts. Tedious, not fun and ridiculous - making an overpowered, invincible super-AI boss is not making a good challenge - it's an easy, lazy way out, and the game designers ought to be ashamed. If you get easily frustrated, I would avoid this game for this reason alone. Finally, the story just complete crap: none of the fights matter to the "plot"|, because none of the bad guys you defeat ever stay dead, and even the final defeat is revealed to be completely meaningless and a pointless "victory". Great story telling, guys. Really worth it. In short, this game has some fun to be had and decent mechanics, but could be much better balanced and designed - put some actual thought and development into the story and balance next time, please. It's not that hard to do. Expand
  8. Apr 24, 2014
    The fitting itself is good and single player feels all right. However people don't want to fight against AI right? People want multiplayer and you think MK have it right? Well hell no! It really lags and makes it impossible for pleasant experience. So don't buy I reckon. I did a mistake buying it.
  9. Jul 29, 2013
    Excellent port with the exception of the online component which is terrible. Matches are laggy, and the game is region locked on steam so you can only see players in your region without changing it through settings region. Moreover, there is a bug where if you have AA on, you can't see players in Online rooms.
  10. Dec 12, 2015
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 7
    Story : 4
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 7
  11. Mar 16, 2015
    I'm a huge fan of fighting games street fighter style: technical and unforgiving, focused on balance and mind play. This game have none of the above.

That said it is true that from the very first title, Mortal Kombat has been a fighting game series focused on dismembering, copious blood spills rather than technical gameplay or heavy mind games and this new visually stunning Mortal Kombat follows step by step its predecessors. Fans ofc will be extremely happy about this (and I too think it was not a bad idea) but sadly I can't say I like it.

I'm not a huge fan of extreme violence in games but usually if I like the gameplay I'm still able to enjoy games. In this case the violence (often even physically impossible) is almost the game main goal since I found the gameplay quite not-rewarding.

That said the game has stunning graphic, from characters to backgrounds and effects, the accuracy of the various disjoints, dismembers and such is almost maniacal and music is totally fine.

So, to recap, if you're a fan of extreme splatter violence or you ever liked a Mortal Kombat, get this game and you won't regret a single penny.
  12. May 22, 2015
    After struggling with 3D Mortal Kombat finally returns to its roots. As did Street Fighter. It took a while for them to realize you don't necessarily have to go 3-dimensional just because everyone seemed to do that. Mega Man never got it right, returned with the ninth release going back to what the NES era was like and was phenomenal. Fighting games are 2D, and that's how they shouldAfter struggling with 3D Mortal Kombat finally returns to its roots. As did Street Fighter. It took a while for them to realize you don't necessarily have to go 3-dimensional just because everyone seemed to do that. Mega Man never got it right, returned with the ninth release going back to what the NES era was like and was phenomenal. Fighting games are 2D, and that's how they should remain. All the gore and extreme violence you'd expect is awesome and brings back memories. Though a less refined game when it comes to mechanics, Mortal Kombat was never about having deep controls, it was mindless gory fun, and this installment gives you exactly that. Expand
  13. May 2, 2015
    The Komplete Edition shines on PC other than Story mode cutscene quality and, more importantly, some annoying online lag issues. Neither is a deal-breaker for me though, and at $30, I have no problem recommending it for purchase.
  14. Jul 5, 2013
    Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition is the best fighting game for PC. It is fantastic. Really great port (which was expected as it is using a cross platform engine Unreal Engine 3, I think, it wasn't hard to optimise and rewrite for PC).

The fighting system is great, the gameplay is fantastic, it runs very fluidly. You can configure the controls as you wish. I was playing the game on an old HD2600 XT video card and it is perfectly playable at lower resolution (1280x720, medium shadow quality, no antialiasing) without any problem and it still looks really great! It has all the DLC characters (Skarlet, Kenshi, Rain and Freddy Krueger) and klassic customes.

Story mode is simple but fun, it is just sequence of fight with cut-scene rendered with the game engine, which would look great but... yeah, let's see the bad thing about the game.

The game is almost perfect. One bad thing about it is the ingame videos. They just look bad, I mean, the quality is bad compared to the real in-game graphics. The are not high resolution enough. They should render them in real-time with the game engine, also that would mean around -4 gigabytes for the size of the game. One more bad thing, the Usual D3D error, which is possible on older videocards like in case of my HD2600. It can be fixed and it is possible it will run perfectly! I think the system requirements are pretty low, the official one is a joke, it will run on a much weaker PC.

In overall, we got an almost perfect Mortal Kombat game for PC. It is fantastic, it has the good old Mortal Kombat feel, it plays well, it runs well, really great port. In-game cut scenes should be much better quality. The extras are fun, I'm very happy with it as other MK fans too. It deserves at least a 9 of 10. Great job!

1. Jan 20, 2014
    The online experience could be better, especially with such a small community, but the game is solid enough in other areas that it is easily one of the better fighting games for the platform and worth checking out.
  2. Oct 21, 2013
    The PC’s Komplete Edition is the best way to experience this game, technically. A modest gaming machine can run it with a nice smooth framerate and settings set high. The game has never looked more detailed and crisp, and timing your movements feels a little easier with the improved performance.
  3. Sep 13, 2013
    A solid fighting game mired in its own questionable presentation. Superseded since its console launch.