6.6

1. Mar 12, 2012
    GUTTED FISH. Ideas/efforts were decent, but in the end, frustration. If you played M&B Warband, you will just become frustrated and not like this game, because as Warband was an "onion" with layers and layers of game play and multiple aspects to enjoy overlapping each other, relevant to the 'big picture', With Fire and Sword removes those layers and becomes only a core, a rotten one. Warband had A LOT of potential, many things could've been added additionally to that type of game (and the map)... Bandit chasing/killing could've been improved and expanded on.... more quests could've been added.... the romance/dating options expanded.... etc.... This is what people expected with the next Mount and Blade game... instead they backtracked and gutted it all out, focused on 'guns' and new multiple tiers of junk gear and loot with mostly all COSMETIC features. The 17th Century theme of the game is fun to play and the new clothes and whatnot look snazzy... the guns and bombs can be fun, but without these loved aspects of the game that MADE, Mount and Blade, what is it? No character customization at the beginning or self-created story... you get a premade character to start with... which is acceptable (but why?) and the FOCUS seems to be trying to inject you into Feudal Combat or "Vassalage" as soon as possible. It seems to be the main focus, as other aspects of what it's predecessor was, arenâ Expand
  2. May 6, 2011
    Eh, where to start. I've played Mount + Blade: Warband prior to this game, and thouroughly enjoyed it. I'm not sure why I didn't get the same feeling with WFS, possibly becuase the whole game just feels half-assed. I think the first failing was in character creation. Unlike the first game, they had noticably chopped out everything that answered to generate your character. You were simply given a rifle, and an axe. That's it. Let's ignore the fact i've placed all my skills in Bows + Arrows. Oh well, looks avoidable, so i'll go buy a bow. No, looks like it's ridiculously out of budget. Another massive failing in this game is the effort and time it requires to make the smallest amounts of money. This means that all the other aspects of the game are held up, becuase they all hinge on you having the money to buy men, or to buy supplies, etc. etc. It was just, really, really stupid and I expected so much better from the creators of Warband.
    (And all of this is while playing on easy difficulty, I dread to think what sort of lengths you have to on harder settings.)

To be honest, I hated it. I really did. I recomend Warband over this any day. I rated it a 2 becuase i'm sure it's possible the multiplayer could be enjoyable, but the campaign is just appalling.
  3. Jun 25, 2011
    Bit of a let down, maybe the polish has worn off a little because i played Mount & Blade: Warband (and thought it was great !!), but this seems to have moved backwards. I really don't get it. The game doesn't improve on the concept, it simply ads in firearms, moves the battle field to a different era but doesn't improve one bit on the game play, if anything it's worse.
    You felt more in
    control in the previous game, you could recruit villagers and train them etc, where as now your restricted to buying them. Options have been removed, the whole graphic interface hasn't improved at all, less depth to character design and the storyline feels weak.
    It's like someone said, "Hey this game worked really well, how fast can we get something else out", shame on you Paradox, this is not what I expect from your label, you guys are about developing improvements and depth to your games. This is a really crap reversion.
  4. Aug 31, 2011
    Great Concept, Convoluted mess, shoddy release and bug ridden. While a very unique game concept and a very original idea that is few and far in the industry nowadays. The game suffers from poor execution and design. Like the Mona Lisa, but giving it to a three year old to go ahead and paint it. The combat controls are insufferable and the so called steep learning curve is just poor design decisions that makes you reload, again and again. This latest iteration introduces firearms. Look we all know if someone shoots you in the face, you're not getting up in Real Life. But this translates poorly to a game. When your 'hero' is shot, the battle is pretty much over, since it's usually an auto loss when your hero goes down. Since tactical combat is a joke, combat is a series of endless reloads and an exercise in frustration. There are of course players who are into this sort of thing, and if you're one of them, this is the game for you. Expand
  5. Jun 19, 2011
    I have played Mount & Blade Warband for hundreds of hours and loved it. With Fire & Sword is not even close to Warband, it has less options, less atmosphere, less everything.
  6. Aug 8, 2012
    I got Mount and Blade in a Steam sale, and it was so bad and so unplayable that it prompted me to come here and sign up just to say how bad it is. Now I like Strategy, RPG and 4x games as much as the next person, and plan to make my own one day (hence the purchase), but right from the start, this game is so unpolished, and the graphics are so bad that it really puts me off. But despite this I struggle through to find the good Sandbox Strategy gameplay that I've heard about..
    I enter a battle and can either look for them or run away cause enemies are miles away (but somehow upon leaving I still must surrender to them???); so I re-enter and eventually find them. I gallop towards them firing off one arrow then my crossbow stops working - literally nothing is happening when I'm pressing fire (the arrow hits the ground several meters below the targeting reticule anyway), so I run them down with my horse which does 0 damage, and they beat the crap out of me, meanwhile I'm trying desperately to turn my horse or run through them; anything (nothing is happening of course as the controls are unresponsive to say the least). I die and immediately uninstall the game.

The game is beyond poor.

Ignoring the poor graphics, abysmal animation, terrible controls, and complete lack of a decent tutorial, underneath it all.. the game is just plain bad.
  7. Oct 15, 2011
    this is a huge disappointment. yes, the guns and bomb is fun to play but but the AI is terrible, without you, your troops can barely manage to survives even odds. Even worse, suspicious your best troops start dying out of proportion in your absence. the strategic side of the game is also TERRIBLE. Varied terrain and cultures are gone, Social life is gone, Businesses is gone. what's left? banking system? it's broken any way. Your money is tied to the city it is deposited in, you'd better just haul around your money in case something bad happen. Final words, this is not a rewarding experience, warband mods are better than this crap. Expand
  8. Sep 4, 2011
    After playing this game i have to say i am deeply disappointed. Because of the fact that this more or less than MB:Warband with them combining most of the mods and just put in an average title. So if you think you want buy this game then i ask you to think about this and other of the negative reviews. So if you want to buy it then don't just grab Warband and and install the latest firearms mod.
  9. Dec 27, 2011
    **** game's boring that I cant tell how this game's good.Gamecube-like graphics, repeditive gameplay,this & that.Don't play this.
  10. Dec 30, 2012
    This game was a huge disappointment. what a flaming piece of crap. I felt as if I were playing a game from the late 90's, not one released in 09'. Clunky game play, horrible graphics, and it's just weak all around. Even the tutorial was terrible.

1. Oct 19, 2011
    Good real history setting, but feels too much like a mod. Game would needs stronger and more visible plot element to differ itself from basic M&M formula. [June 2011]
  2. Jul 29, 2011
    An above-average game from a time period that's really hard to find in current games. It is defected by several unfortunate design decisions and by sticking too much to its literary original. However, Henryk Sienkiewicz's fans and those 17th century warfare lovers should not hesitate to try it.
  3. Jun 23, 2011
    With Fire and Sword is an expansion that adds very little to the Mount&Blade experience. It's still a solid game, but one would expect more innovation. Still, the hectic battles on horseback leave the player with a brutal appreciation for medieval combat.