Myst V: End of Ages PC

• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Sep 19, 2005
8.0

1. Aug 8, 2012
    I've not played the other Myst games, but gave this a go out of curiousity for the series (it was cheap). And after 4 hours of play, decided I'm not that curious anymore, to the extent that I could not be bothered even to use a walkthrough to finish it. It is beautiful, though it's not exactly interactive beauty, as you seem to glide over everything, as opposed to feeling a part of it.I've not played the other Myst games, but gave this a go out of curiousity for the series (it was cheap). And after 4 hours of play, decided I'm not that curious anymore, to the extent that I could not be bothered even to use a walkthrough to finish it. It is beautiful, though it's not exactly interactive beauty, as you seem to glide over everything, as opposed to feeling a part of it. Also, there's mysterious dialogue and then there's just plain annoying dialogue, and it was mostly the latter. For the puzzles I did do, they involved looking in some very specific places for clues, for no other reason seemingly than to look there. If you've not played Myst at all like me, I would buy this with caution. (At first I gave this a 4 for its beauty and feel mainly, but then thought afterwards, I didn't finish it, thought it was annoying what I did play, and it's 4 hours I'll never get back, so it gets a 1). Collapse
  2. VelthurC.
    Dec 7, 2007
    A mediocre game, failing to measure up to Myst IV in visuals, sound, characters, or plotline. Not as immersive as any other game in the franchise; also very short, since the puzzles are easy, and glitches let you skip a couple of the worlds. Unsatisfying; I expected something better to conclude what I consider to be, otherwise, the greatest series of all time.
  3. Aug 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i never thought the day would come that i would bad-mouth a mist game, but, im sorry, but this game is just a let down. i am a fan of all the other Myst games, but this one just wasn't as good your good friend atris is dead, the lovable child yeasha is now a 60-or-so-year-old and almost all puzzles now revolve around some stupid tablet, the game is no longer a real challenge, and it was not a good resolution to the myst series. in my opinion, myst's final game was myst IV, this game is now dead to me Expand
  4. Apr 8, 2012
    Not even worth playing. The graphics are shoddy, failing to look a fraction as good as Myst 2 (Riven). Movement in classic mode is awful - constantly directing you exactly where you don't want to go. Puzzles are simplistic and boring. The most difficult part of the game is figuring out what is a puzzle and what isn't. You are frequently distracted by various characters pacing around,Not even worth playing. The graphics are shoddy, failing to look a fraction as good as Myst 2 (Riven). Movement in classic mode is awful - constantly directing you exactly where you don't want to go. Puzzles are simplistic and boring. The most difficult part of the game is figuring out what is a puzzle and what isn't. You are frequently distracted by various characters pacing around, spouting mostly useless "I'm crazy" stuff. The game just isn't fun. Expand
  5. Jul 14, 2015
    I am a diehard Myst series fan. I own everything Myst. I have rarely finished any of the games other than Myst and Riven. Sometimes I just find them way beyond me but I love the intricacy and prefer difficult but logical games. Months or years later, I'll try again, and this is what I did with End of Ages. Since I never finished it, I started it with pretty much a clean slate (punI am a diehard Myst series fan. I own everything Myst. I have rarely finished any of the games other than Myst and Riven. Sometimes I just find them way beyond me but I love the intricacy and prefer difficult but logical games. Months or years later, I'll try again, and this is what I did with End of Ages. Since I never finished it, I started it with pretty much a clean slate (pun intended). What happened next absolutely destroyed this game for me.
    (small spoiler). I was learning to use the slate; drawing designs I had seen to see what would happen. TWICE I was able to finish an age by accident because of an error in my drawing. TWICE!!!! I didn't even know what happened until I realized I had achieved my goal before even exploring those ages. That's just plain awful. At that point, what good would it do to explore that age when it's already been completed? I don't know how this game made it to the shelves with such awful bugs.
  6. Aug 8, 2012

1. Myst V concludes this landmark series with dignity and style, delivering a challenging and sophisticated adventure that contains a number of satisfying moments.
    Every change to the Myst formula, from the tablets to the varied control schemes, make End of Ages one of the best entries in the series. And the visuals and sound rank among the series' best as well. Highly recommended to Myst fans and plain adventure fans alike.
  3. I don't want to ruin things for you but just let me say that I was expecting a better conclusion to wrap up such a memorable series. But as with most puzzle-oriented game it's the journey and not the destination that makes it all worthwhile. And it's been one hell of a good ride.