• Publisher: Sega
  • Release Date: Feb 23, 2010
7.9

1. roberts
    Mar 21, 2010
    I love the graphics, the batlles and overall play of the game. I think the AI is a little better and a little more agressive which make the real time battles more fun to play. My disappointment comes when I go from the strategy turn based part of the game to the real time battles. there is a glitch where the game runs intermittent while loading the battle. It can take 5-10 minutes to load I love the graphics, the batlles and overall play of the game. I think the AI is a little better and a little more agressive which make the real time battles more fun to play. My disappointment comes when I go from the strategy turn based part of the game to the real time battles. there is a glitch where the game runs intermittent while loading the battle. It can take 5-10 minutes to load up a battle on my computer. My computer is a brand new Alienware aurora with upgraded graphics. It's definitely not a slow or under powered computer. I think it's a game flaw. It will also freeze up every now when going to a real time battle. Other than that the gameplay is great and smooth at full graphics. The other thing I like is the time frame for each turn, two weeks. It's great and much more realistic than previous total war games. That adds so much to the game for me and the reason I rate the game higher than I would with my loading problem. If it weren't for the battle loading problem I would give this game a 9.... Expand
  2. Mikem
    Mar 20, 2010
    The strength of total war games has always been the mods to fill in the flush out the game. It feels like the developers are trying to LIMIT modding instead of encourage it, because they think that will promote more sales from it's base, instead of players replaying Rome or Europe mods. The result is a limited game, with a limited campaign with no room for improvement. I read forums The strength of total war games has always been the mods to fill in the flush out the game. It feels like the developers are trying to LIMIT modding instead of encourage it, because they think that will promote more sales from it's base, instead of players replaying Rome or Europe mods. The result is a limited game, with a limited campaign with no room for improvement. I read forums which said the game is better then empire, but now I'm disillusioned with the whole franchise. I'm going to start looking elsewhere for strategy games in general, and stop buying Total War games because they say total war. Expand
  3. May 16, 2012
    My first experience of the Total War franchise and a very enjoyable one at that. The only aspect that I didn't get into was the naval combat, but that was more due to a lack of trying on my part. Kudos for the developer for attempting to simulate the intricacies of ship to ship combat in the Napoleonic era, but my enjoyment came through cavalry maneuvers and watching canon balls bouncingMy first experience of the Total War franchise and a very enjoyable one at that. The only aspect that I didn't get into was the naval combat, but that was more due to a lack of trying on my part. Kudos for the developer for attempting to simulate the intricacies of ship to ship combat in the Napoleonic era, but my enjoyment came through cavalry maneuvers and watching canon balls bouncing through infantry formations Expand
  4. May 26, 2012
    This is an impressive game and since the recent graphics feature removal from thier Shogun 2 games is now makes Napoelon Totalwar thier best looking game! If anyone wants gunpowder love i would highly suggest you buy this game over the Fall of the samurai or shogun 2 as there is less cheating and it simply looks and sounds better!
  5. Apr 25, 2013
    A bit too limited game (then it goes war theater), but with gameplay much more polished and smooth than in Empire. Both strategic aspect and both standard and marine battles are definitely better than in previous game, as well are the graphics in all those.

The scale is somewhat disappointing, without colonial aspect of war or playable muslim factions in main campaing, but the graphics and core game mechanics really make up for highly enjoyable experience, even if it offers less content that Empire.
  6. Jun 21, 2013
    I like this game because it had a more, Modern setting, but it was kind of historically inaccurate.
    What I didn't like was the limited campaign choice, There was only Austria, Russia, Great Britan, and Prussia. Also including France. Also It didn't cover India or The Americas, But it was AWESOME! Great gaming experience, this would be for people who started Total War with Empire, And want an advanced and modern experience and setting.
  7. Aug 5, 2013
    if u want to play this game at high performance u need a heavy processor and graphics card.who wants pure war and battle chose this one but the demerit is u must download this game from steam when u have cd's if u have slow internet connection u will be disappointed to download this game.u have high-speed internet connection my suggestion is this one because u have to download nearly 12gb
  8. Sep 7, 2013
    Full disclosure:

I've had his game for like 9 months and only have played maybe 20 minutes of it because there was a bug with some DLC packs not registering. Out of spite for Rome 2, I booted it up and played the Battle Tutorial and the Naval tutorial. I had more fun with these than I did in all 31 hours I had with Rome 2. I even lost my ship in the Naval tutorial, and I ain't
    Full disclosure:

I had more fun with these than I did in all 31 hours I had with Rome 2.

I even lost my ship in the Naval tutorial, and I ain't even mad.

There was a minor bug with the camera "WS, AD" movement, but it fixed itself after I clicked the unit card. I am off to play both this and Fall of the Samurai.
  9. Sep 7, 2013
    In my opinion, I would say that this is probably the best of the Total War series. I know that some people will prefer the themes and styles at work in Shogun 2 or the first Rome game (great games, both of them); however, I just don't think that there's another real-time strategy game out there that has come close to bringing it all together so nicely.

It's a very polished package and

It's a very polished package and works as a standalone in its own right, although those seeking absolutely immense depth may be happier with Empire. This game may not be the 'marianas trench' of deep games, but it's certainly not the kids' paddling pool at your local swimming baths either.

The user interface is really tight. It stays straightforward and swift to navigate, whilst still retaining detail and an ornamental appearance for you to feast your eyes upon.

Battles are exciting and fun to be involved in. With the addition of artillery in the Napoleonic setting, battles really become vast stages on which the drama of your campaign unfolds. When your cannon blunt the opposing cavalry charge and the enemy infantry starts to falter as you send in your troops with bayonets fixed, you get a great feeling of accomplishment and exhilaration.

In honesty, the game does have some well documented glitches, which have caused frustration for me in the past; in particular, a random buzzing and hissing noise which sometimes makes itself known on the campaign map, until you click elsewhere and then it vanishes, mysteriously. Add to this some questionable artificial intelligence and (unfortunately) I feel the game cannot quite warrant a score of 9 out of 10, which would be nearly perfection.

BUT (and this is a BIG but), unlike the problems that beset the most recent release (Rome 2 2013) from the Creative Assembly, that's all these problems are and all they remain; just glitches. They are not cavernous flaws and glaring omissions from the core of the game that have you reaching for the reset button. On the contrary, it's a mark of how compelling the gameplay is that you press on in spite of the glitches, determined as you are to finally win a titanic struggle with the enemy for their capital city.

Last, but not least, no other Total War game has ever made battles at sea feel quite so 'right'. The arcade-like appeal and usability of Sid Meier's 'Pirates' meets the authenticity and tactical feeling of 'Fleet Command'. And it works like a charm. I mean, Shogun 2 does a decent job of sea battles, but pfftt....seriously? Bows and arrows? Give me a full broadside, by jove and damn your eyes, man! Sit back and watch in glee as your enemy's flagship catches fire, starts to sink and then detonates with a huge explosion...muwaa hahaha!

So why carp about the flaws? Why focus on the minor irritations? Why worry about these things, when sitting in front of you is a great looking, great playing, great sounding and great value game, with oodles of replayability value. Go out and buy it, and confound the knavish tricks of the French The King commands it!
  10. Sep 14, 2013
    Very accurate for what it is. Generals are very important and have their own styles. Looks like a sequel to Empire Total War but that's an illusion. Used some of my tried and true tactics from Empire Total War and watched my soldiers get cut down. In battle the army with the better general deploys second. One of my favorite features. It is simple but very effective. Music is fromVery accurate for what it is. Generals are very important and have their own styles. Looks like a sequel to Empire Total War but that's an illusion. Used some of my tried and true tactics from Empire Total War and watched my soldiers get cut down. In battle the army with the better general deploys second. One of my favorite features. It is simple but very effective. Music is from the early 19th century and is almost all on piano. Expand
  11. Zbigniew?
    Mar 21, 2010
    Very good and enjoyable strategy game. I was very critical of Empire, but Napoleon is a vast improvement and plays great. So why not a 10? The AI still struggles a bit, siege battles have not been improved. and only one theatre (Europe). The biggest flaw is 5 playable factions only (rest have to be unlocked with mods, which is tedious) - and it seems like a very easy feature to implement, Very good and enjoyable strategy game. I was very critical of Empire, but Napoleon is a vast improvement and plays great. So why not a 10? The AI still struggles a bit, siege battles have not been improved. and only one theatre (Europe). The biggest flaw is 5 playable factions only (rest have to be unlocked with mods, which is tedious) - and it seems like a very easy feature to implement, hope CA does this. Expand
  12. Aug 14, 2010
    An awesome game and a stellar achievement. The most impressive feature is how gorgeous Napoleon is yet how smooth is plays; not only the best looking RTS around, but one of the best looking games out period. I literally smacked my gob when playing on a snow covered tundra, and spent the better part of the match simply taking in the sights.

Easily my favourite Total War game ever, with

Easily my favourite Total War game ever, with huge improvements over Empire. If you wanted a more cohesive and better constructed experience when playing Empire, then Napoleon is for you. A far more polished and well crafted product.
  13. Aug 26, 2010
    the game has a lot of improvement since empire but i felt it that even with these improvements that empire total war was significantly better on the fact that the campaign was so much more extensive nonetheless i feel it is a considerable contribution to the total war series. the biggest leap total war has taken was that of medieval 2 to empire and i wish to see more gigantic leaps likethe game has a lot of improvement since empire but i felt it that even with these improvements that empire total war was significantly better on the fact that the campaign was so much more extensive nonetheless i feel it is a considerable contribution to the total war series. the biggest leap total war has taken was that of medieval 2 to empire and i wish to see more gigantic leaps like that in the future. no matter what happens though i will definitely forever be a fan of the total war franchise because they in my opinion are the only true strategy game in the world and i do not say those word lightly Expand
  14. Feb 15, 2011
    I have had all the Total War games since the first "Shogun T.W." and I have loved every single one. I like "Empire T.W." very very much, despite some really poor teething troubles. "Napoleon T.W." is, for me, the very best yet. Again, it had teething troubles and I had some fiddling to do to get it to play reliably and stable. I love the game, I love the graphics, the battles are theI have had all the Total War games since the first "Shogun T.W." and I have loved every single one. I like "Empire T.W." very very much, despite some really poor teething troubles. "Napoleon T.W." is, for me, the very best yet. Again, it had teething troubles and I had some fiddling to do to get it to play reliably and stable. I love the game, I love the graphics, the battles are the best yet and I like the slight de-emphasis on economics and diplomacy. I think that "Napoleon T.W." is the best mix of reasonably engaging strategy and good, long, battles up to now. I regret its a-historicality, but I still think it is the best of the series. Expand
  15. Jul 25, 2011
    Amazing game! This totally got me rethinking strategy. Sure it is really just a runoff of Empire: Total War but it is actually really good. I hate Empire: Total War but Napoleon: Total War. AWESOME!!!!!
    Out of all of the Total War games, Napoleon has great graphics (The only TW game that I think exceeds NTW is Total War: SHOGUN 2), it has great battles, awesome campaign (May be a bit challenging for France), and more! Rome: Total War is the only game that is able to compete with Napoleon: Total War.
    I most definitely recommend this game to everyone! Have fun! And Vive le France!!!!
  16. May 10, 2012
    This game has the greatest campaign of all the Total war series but it's actual meat which is the battle's is lacking. The Multiplayer is crap unless you play with trusted friends who play honestly and don't abuse the game. The game's multiplayer is EASY to abuse and camp. The historical battles are epic and the story mode campaign was amazing. From Napoleons campaign in Italy, Egypt andThis game has the greatest campaign of all the Total war series but it's actual meat which is the battle's is lacking. The Multiplayer is crap unless you play with trusted friends who play honestly and don't abuse the game. The game's multiplayer is EASY to abuse and camp. The historical battles are epic and the story mode campaign was amazing. From Napoleons campaign in Italy, Egypt and Conquest of Europe this game gives us a great drive to accomplish what Napoleon did. The campaign map introduces winter/desert attrition and tactical terrain. Campaign, 5/5, Battles 2.5/5 Expand
  17. Sep 4, 2012
    I believe that this game delivers what it intends to. I love the tota-war franchise and the gameplay style. The Napoleon theme also enriches the game a lot. Would give it more if not for the lack of improvements from Empire. Also some buggy features, overall a good game. Buy it if you find it at a decent price. The development team needs your support, not fanboysm. Not a full price.
  18. Sep 17, 2013
    This game was pretty good on launch and definitely a lot better than Empire Total War was. I really enjoyed this game. A lot of new units with the new feature where units automatically gain back their losses through replacements when in friendly territory was a definite plus. It cut out the micro management of having to select all units in a stack and click the replenishment plus buttonThis game was pretty good on launch and definitely a lot better than Empire Total War was. I really enjoyed this game. A lot of new units with the new feature where units automatically gain back their losses through replacements when in friendly territory was a definite plus. It cut out the micro management of having to select all units in a stack and click the replenishment plus button or actually moving them back to a city to retrain them like in older titles. Plenty of good things to say about vanilla Napoleon Total War, but I can not leave out the modders who have done an outstanding job of providing endless replay ability with new mods still coming out today. This is a win win for any total war fan, so definitely pick up this copy and enjoy for yrs to come. Expand
  19. Nov 10, 2013
    I played the campaign as Prussia, and actually caused the death of Napoleon. But, I didn't have any real battles on map.
    The best kept secret about trade is, that one can have the best ports, and the trade will come to you. You don't have to have a navy, and the onus is on the nation with the ships. One can have a trading company, in this manner, without having a navy, and on domestic shores. It seems, that one should upgrade the courts, before one upgrades the other military and economic structures. This is always the best policy.
  20. Feb 9, 2014
    This game is Empire total war on cocaine. They pretty much took that game and made it a lot better

sadohaskidghaskigdaisgdsdhgjshdgjahgdjsadhgasjhgdjasgdjhasgdjhasgdjhasgdjhsagdjshagdjhsagdjhasdhgasjhasdgas
  21. Oct 14, 2014
    Napoleon: Total War is part of a series of war simulations that never quite gets it right. At best it is a passable game that might be interesting for a fortnight, but it never really captures the essence of warfare of the period it pretends to portray. But what is even more.. it tends to become boring pretty fast.
    The game is a watered down version of civilization in which battles are
    The game is a watered down version of civilization in which battles are conducted using a real time strategy (hah!) engine. There are a few Napoleonic features that should give us an impression of warfare from that period. So we have infantry, cavalry, and artillery. Each neatly divided into heavy, medium and light. Heavy to provide the punch, medium to provide the backbone of the army and light to provide easy maneuverability. Infantry was equipped with muskets and bayonets, cavalry with swords, pistols, lances and short ranged muskets, artillery with guns and howitzers.
    All of this is done with nice looking models so there is no complaint from me there.
    What I do complain about is the implementation.
    The game completely misrepresent warfare of that period because it just generates troops as if they are part of a twentieth century production line. An army, and certainly the Grand Army that was commanded by Napoleon, was a carefully husbanded tool of power. The performance of this army, which out performed most other armies of the time, was a combination of revolutionary spirit, corps the esprit, tactical and strategical genius, and careful planning.
    Instead the game defaults to a: generate troops and throw them against your enemy in batches of twenty, as twenty is the maximum amount of units that you can field in a battle. Eventually you will be able to create crack armies out of thin air by having a few cities produce them from scratch.
    Like really?
    The game doesn't really bother with things like supply lines, which at that time had a crucial impact on the deployment of armies. We are speaking about time that armies started to become so big that they could no longer live from the land. Sometimes they could for a short while: the Grand Army of Napoleon deliberately abandoned their supply lines in 1805 to fool their enemies.
    Napoleon was often facing superior numbers which he dealt with by using speed and maneuverability. He utilized the corps as unit, basically a small self contained army, which would march along a separate route from the other corps and was to meet other corps at a certain point to combine into an army and attack the enemy.
    Nothing of this you can find in this game. You could easily march your armies back and forth through Europe without suffering too much for it.
    In essence on this strategic level the game has nothing Napoleonic. It could be Rome: Total War, Shogun: Total War or Alexander: Total War, Word War 1 : Total War or Korea: Total War..Just change the graphics accordingly.

So is there anything Napoleonic on the tactical level?
    What there is, is not much and it is half implemented. For instance.. your infantry can assume a square formation. This was a tactic used against cavalry. In this game you have to order them.. the AI never assumes square formation, not even when directly threatened by cavalry. In fact... ai led infantry just assumes a line formation and fires at your cavalry even when attacked from the rear.
    Column to line and vice verse tactics do not exist. For those who are not in the know: column was used to move faster and to deliver close assault. Line tactics were used to maximize fire power. Oh you could click on the button to change decrease and increase your ranks.. but really.. that is not how it should be.
    Skirmish infantry doesn't work properly. Skirmish infantry was used to screen units from attack and to harass the enemy or provoke him into an unwise attack. The essential element is that the skirmish unit would fall back when attacked.. which in this game can only be achieved by having them turn their backs towards their attackers and march them away.. Skirmish units were trained in backing up.
    Line units lack skirmish units. In reality french units had an integral skirmish unit. Nothing like that exists in this game.
    Artillery units when attacked, usually took shelter inside squares.. nothing like that happens in the game.
    And I could add more.

Napoleon: Total War has nothing to do with Napoleonic warfare, it is the same old game Total War game fitted in a new outfit. If you liked Rome :Total War.. you might like this.. it is just the same game. If you want something that represents the time better.. look elsewhere.. or read a book.
  22. Apr 21, 2013
    This in my opinion is the best of all games in the Total War Do not have a variety of units as large as those of Rome and Empire, yet it has very different variations. The combat animations are excellent and exciting during a fight you feel inside the scenario, the action, the bangs, the shots, it's just exciting, not to mention the presence of epic Napoleon Bonaparte.
  23. May 25, 2012
    Well, CA, was wrong when making Nappy a full game. This game excels barely on single player. On to graphics, the effects and terrain actually look better, but the models don't really look good as expected, the soldiers look "shiny", and their faces seem all the same, just with different mustaches and beards. The campaign drop-in battle addition is actually pretty cool and interesting,Well, CA, was wrong when making Nappy a full game. This game excels barely on single player. On to graphics, the effects and terrain actually look better, but the models don't really look good as expected, the soldiers look "shiny", and their faces seem all the same, just with different mustaches and beards. The campaign drop-in battle addition is actually pretty cool and interesting, though there's really something; CA forgot to improve the A.I. It's dumbed out as Empire's. The campaign is still fun, but when fighting in real-time battles with A.I., it's not really fun. Napoleon is basically Empire, with fewer factions and a new title screen. This game only excels in multiplayer. There's no dumb A.I. that puts its cannons behind hills, or any exploitable stupid act they perform. If you're that guy that doesn't play singleplayer (specifically, the campaign) at all (like the Prince of Macedon), this game may suit you. Although, beware of noob players. Expand
  24. Feb 10, 2011
    I love strategy games and history: that it is excellent.
    More Total War Center still allows for improvement ...

Finally, Napoleon I has an important place in the history of France.

Why not then make a medieval Total War III now?

Thank you for those who love the Middle Ages...
  25. Mar 31, 2013
    Napoleon Total War is good game, that's for sure. Graphically, game is superb. Explosions are beautiful and soldiers are fairly detailed (at least better than how Empire total war was), but that means you won't be able to see what Napoleon total war has to offer if your PC is not good, so keep that in mind. Napoleon total war is pretty similar to its predecessor Empire total war, butNapoleon Total War is good game, that's for sure. Graphically, game is superb. Explosions are beautiful and soldiers are fairly detailed (at least better than how Empire total war was), but that means you won't be able to see what Napoleon total war has to offer if your PC is not good, so keep that in mind. Napoleon total war is pretty similar to its predecessor Empire total war, but adding more features into game, such as cold/heat attrition makes invasion more challenging and stronger rebel forces requires you to put more attention toward town management. Also, this game have overall better multiplayer experience than its predecessor. However, game's scope is only limited to Europe; don't get me wrong since it is still wide, but it feels narrow because its predecessor had very large scope, stretching from America to India. Also, game is very heavily focused in five factions Britain, France, Austria, Prussia and Russia. Each have unique tactic and unique units, but when it comes to more "minor" faction, such as Portugal, Spain, Denmark and Sweden, it is very lacking. First, you can't play them in campaign, and second, their units are standard. I hope there were more depth into each factions, not for all but at least faction you can play in custom battle. Although it is better than Empire total war since it had exactly same looking unit with just minor differences in stats. However, this game is more fast paced for better multiplay experience, so line infantry and cannons in this game have phenomenal reloading speed. It's minor issue if you just want to enjoy the game, but hardcore historians may feel offended by this. So, game is pretty good, but I can't help but feel this game is standalone expansion pack of Empire total war. If you are more singleplayer-centric gamer, you may want to pass this one since it's not that different from Empire total war. However, if you just want to break free from bugs of Empire total war, want to pursue Napoleon's ambition, or just want to jump into wonders of total war franchise, this is game for you. Expand
  26. EricB
    Feb 23, 2010
    Great game with great improvements from Empire. It may not be Medieval 2 to Empire, but it does it's job at glorying the life of Napoleon, and taking away countless hours. Any Total War veterans (like me), you wont be astonished, but you will enjoy it. Anyone new to the series, buy this game immediately.
  27. May 24, 2011
    This is an excellent game and very addictive; i have owned all the previous versions on the "total war" franchise and this is my favourite bar Rome total war.
    Of course things could be better such as the AI but this are minor niggles, well done the Creative Assembly!
    Only gripe is the Multiplayer because of the poor lobby and the cheaters. There should be an anit cheat software protection of some kind!

28. SteveM
    Feb 25, 2010
    It's still the same broken game as before. They didn't fix anything. They just removed the features that didn't work. Diplomacy didn't work so they took out most of the factions and made it France vs everyone else. The AI couldn't figure out the whole naval thing so they took most of that out of the game too. The battle AI still sucks. This is the EXACT same It's still the same broken game as before. They didn't fix anything. They just removed the features that didn't work. Diplomacy didn't work so they took out most of the factions and made it France vs everyone else. The AI couldn't figure out the whole naval thing so they took most of that out of the game too. The battle AI still sucks. This is the EXACT same garbage as E:TW was. Don't fall for it like I did. Expand
  29. Aug 24, 2013
    Creative Assembly are a wierd mob. Their games definitely LOOK great. The loading screens are PERFECT, the music is great, the campaign maps are BEAUTIFUL. In battles the units look and sound terrific. All the eye-candy is there. But the gameplay? It's INCREDIBLY BLAND. And as many, users note time and time again. the unit AI in battles and the campaign AI in general looks and plays likeCreative Assembly are a wierd mob. Their games definitely LOOK great. The loading screens are PERFECT, the music is great, the campaign maps are BEAUTIFUL. In battles the units look and sound terrific. All the eye-candy is there. But the gameplay? It's INCREDIBLY BLAND. And as many, users note time and time again. the unit AI in battles and the campaign AI in general looks and plays like bad computer coding. The games never feel as good as you imagine they should feel from looking at them. I think the naval battles in this game, as a separate component, are the only truly sound part of the design. Everything else looks great but plays MEH! It was also very rude of CA to spurn the Darth MOD dude, because his hard work was actually pointing the way to make a better game. IF CA don't change their designers and find a team capable of improving their campaigns, or at least start borrowing liberally from the ideas of Paradox Interactive we are doomed to see ever new ever prettier but ever hollow shells of good games. For the long of God CA, please get over the graphics and get the gameplay right for a change!

30. JacobP
    Feb 24, 2010
    Realizing the game is supposed to be a super expansion to Empire Total War, the price for the game is totally worth it. Love the game, and Napoleon is a general you'll want to play as. Great Game for total war fans.
  31. dan
    Feb 24, 2010
    This game had me from the first battle. It improves on so many of the faults of Empire and builds upon that. It has improved on so many things that I didn't expect the developers to worry about and is much more smooth during gameplay. Absolutely amazing.
  32. JoepL
    Mar 21, 2010
    It's a cool game, quite realistic battles and especially the final Waterloo-battle is quite challenging. Unfortunately the campaign-part is too predictable when you're familiar with other TW-games. There's not much happening between AI-controlled nations: usually one nation will become big and once you've subdued that nation, all the fun is over. Very few rebellions, It's a cool game, quite realistic battles and especially the final Waterloo-battle is quite challenging. Unfortunately the campaign-part is too predictable when you're familiar with other TW-games. There's not much happening between AI-controlled nations: usually one nation will become big and once you've subdued that nation, all the fun is over. Very few rebellions, emergences of new nations and the diplomacy is flawing and illogical at times. Also it's a pity that real military doctrines do not seem be in use anymore (such as the benefits of flanking fire and enfilade artillery). However the advantages of being on high ground are quite realistic. It would be interesting to see an Total War: American Civil War (including Indian tribes, diplomacy with European nations, new warfare technology, siege battles, entrenchment and such) and with the playability of Rome Total War (which is in my opinion the TW-game with the most "depth" in gameplay). Expand
  33. BenF
    Mar 30, 2010
    1. This game is NOT broken, its got faults but its NOT broken 2. The Ai is NOT broken, little stupid at time but naval battles Ai is far more advance and battle Ai is leaps and bounds above Empire's although that still isn't saying much 3. The game look beyond stunning simply the best graphics for such a big strategy game. 4. sound again is amazing as long as you have 256 1. This game is NOT broken, its got faults but its NOT broken 2. The Ai is NOT broken, little stupid at time but naval battles Ai is far more advance and battle Ai is leaps and bounds above Empire's although that still isn't saying much 3. The game look beyond stunning simply the best graphics for such a big strategy game. 4. sound again is amazing as long as you have 256 channels on. music is well implemenetd from the drummers to the build up music ect. cannon fire sound great 5. Anyone can play this and have fun, where as with me i simply got annoyed with empire grand campaign as you'd never really compete for india and it simply too to much managment for europe and America ect. this much more focused and with the right mod you can have a "Grand Campaign". 6. Multiplayer is ecerlant if you can get into a game. and once in the game is well amazing 7. My specs for my laptop: 1. 2.2GHZ dual core T6600 intel. 4GB RAM, mobility ATI4650 and i can play this game on ultra or High graphics @ 1366x768 very easily. Expand
  34. Feb 16, 2011
    Never again have i seen such a complete strategy game holding both the spirit of that time and better gameplay than every total war game ever realesed
  35. Oct 31, 2011
    Le jeux En ligne ou en Solo reste Exelente,Premier total war ou on peux joué la campagne,vous pouver Il différent niveau par etoile ou par experiance Je conseille FORTEMENT se jeux a se qui aime la stratégie a l'etat pur
  36. Mar 7, 2011
    (As an important note: If you don't think you can run this game on ultra settings, do NOT purchase it. This isn't some graphical elitism, this is because the game is TERRIBLE if you're not running it maxed out. For some reason, TCA have removed the dead bodies unless you play on ultra settings; after about 10 seconds, the dead bodies will disappear. Why?! Oh God why would you do this?(As an important note: If you don't think you can run this game on ultra settings, do NOT purchase it. This isn't some graphical elitism, this is because the game is TERRIBLE if you're not running it maxed out. For some reason, TCA have removed the dead bodies unless you play on ultra settings; after about 10 seconds, the dead bodies will disappear. Why?! Oh God why would you do this? Also, i'm playing on medium settings and GUH it's ugly. Empire looked pretty great to me on medium, but this...this is horrible. The characters are all washed out and completely lack bump mapping. You'll understand what i mean if you check the Steam store screen shots; the textures look rushed, and i'd expect better from a modder.)

Anyway. Nappy Total War isn't a bad game. It's just not a very good game either. It's just a rehash of Empire with improvements that could easily have been patched into Empire. The improvements over Empire are very tasty though, such as round shot on cannon actually being useful now, somewhat improved AI and all the other crap promised in the blurbs. The problems are that the bugs are still present, including some new ones, the AI still can't manoeuvre over the battlefield without getting confused, and the campaign is crazily short. The new "technology" is just a rehash of other tech in Empire, much like the promised "Warpath" technology.

"Game Revolution
    If you own Empire, there's not a good reason to own Napoleon."
    There you have it.
  37. Nov 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game, with more actions parts, than in Empire Total War, so it's better then Empire Total War, but Empire Total War is one of the best game ever, so what is Napoleon Total War...YES!! It's best game ever, forever!! But a bit more strategy will not bad, so I give, read in circle, but normal I give 6-7!! ;) Expand
  38. May 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Un acquisto pessimo, vedere vanificare le ore impiegate a costruire qualcosa rende solo più nervosi al contrario del suo fine di divertire. Sicuramente sarà l'ultimo acquisto fatto da me ed amici. Expand
  39. Jul 29, 2013
    An utter and complete disappointment. Napoleon TW just like Empire TW did not offer any new ideas or real improvements compared to its predecessors. I liked both Rome and Medieval II a lot better. Napoleon feels like very much like a scenario DLC for Empire TW, which I also did not really enjoy that much. Somehow Napoleon manages to actually oversimplify important aspects of the game andAn utter and complete disappointment. Napoleon TW just like Empire TW did not offer any new ideas or real improvements compared to its predecessors. I liked both Rome and Medieval II a lot better. Napoleon feels like very much like a scenario DLC for Empire TW, which I also did not really enjoy that much. Somehow Napoleon manages to actually oversimplify important aspects of the game and unnecessarily complicate requiring some tedious and annoying micro management. I will keep playing Medieval 2 instead. Expand
  40. Apr 25, 2013
    Napoleon: Total War is in my opinion the worst game in the entire franchise. In fact, it's worse than the Napoleon mod, made for M:TW 1. The truth is, this game shares many problems with E:TW. The difference being that I was willing to forgive that game somewhat because it had just come out, had a lot of new features and had some promise. This game though? They have no excuse.

What we

What we have in this game is the worst unit AI I have seen. I can't believe it is still so broken from E:TW. Units will never fire at their side, even if a unit is standing on the side pouring shot into them. When you order a unit to move, it will often just walk in front of your own lines and then walk next to the enemy, the path finging is horrible. And, to make matters even stupider, your other units will NEVER attempt to avoid friendly fire. Working your cannon and a full is crossing your path? Why, you just shoot through them of course! Who cares if you kill 40 odd people, it was there fault for walking in front of you. God knows you couldn't possibly stop loading, aiming and shooting your gun for a brief few seconds while they walk past. This isn't just limited to the cannons either, your men are perfectly happen to shoot friendly units. If one of your other units slightly overlaps them, they won't have some men not fire, they won't position themselves between the other people. They will just happily blast all their friends. Another failure in the AI, and this is one I am totally fed up of seeing, having been in the game since M:TW 2 and is still in the latest Shogun game. That is, Cavalry are almost totally incapable of chasing down routing units. They will charge up to the fleeing unit, charge past them, and then very slowly walk in the same direction as them, only interacting with the enemy if they happen to bump into them. I've seen hundreds of people escape purely because my mounted units are totally incapable of getting it into their artificial heads that they can actually DO SOMETHING! You don't have to slowly walk after 1 person who is running when 100 people from the same unit RUN PAST YOU!

This absolute failure of the unit AI (There are many more ways they fail other than the examples I listed) in my opinion totally ruins any chance this game had. Every single little detail in a battle has to be micromanaged because the developers clearly can't be bothered to put effort into this game

As for the other aspects of the game, what do you get? You get some micro campaigns, massively dumbed down from Empire, so they end up as stupidly simple little things compared to previous expansions. The graphics are normally a strong point for these games, but I think this game suffers along with Empire. Units will turn into sprites when you zoom out a bit, but sprites and 3D units seriously don't mix, making it look horrible. All bullets fired by people are still mini meteors with a blazing white trail behind them. Rain is just hideous, and turning graphics to the top just makes everything look shiny and bloom-tastic.

I hate to say it, but this game is really bad. Don't waste your money or the 25GB of HD space it needlessly takes up
  41. MartyS
    Mar 23, 2010
    I believe this is game is a far superior product to last year's Empire. The AI has been improved out of sight and will give you a fight (play on Hard, not VH because the bonuses to the AI are immense), and the diplomacy options have been rectified so that your treaties actually have meaning and you can negotiate war and peace if you are careful, but be warned - your enemies have a I believe this is game is a far superior product to last year's Empire. The AI has been improved out of sight and will give you a fight (play on Hard, not VH because the bonuses to the AI are immense), and the diplomacy options have been rectified so that your treaties actually have meaning and you can negotiate war and peace if you are careful, but be warned - your enemies have a recollection of what you've done in the past. The graphics have been given minor updates, but the campaign has been overhauled, to provide a fitting story for the greatest general of the past couple of hundred years. The stability has also been improved OUT OF SIGHT, which was my major issue with last year's Empire, which, in spite of its flaws, was still brilliant. I recommend it to those with time on their hands. Expand
  42. Dk-spec
    Mar 7, 2010
    @Trevor - the 8600gt is a horrible video card that is now 3 years old. It was a budget card 3 years ago and it is just awful nowadays. You definately do NOT need a 2-3 thousand dollar pc. A good dual core cpu (not a Pentium D) with an Ati hd 4670 (minimum for a good fps with good visuals) graphics card will have the game playing good. Ur graphics card may have 256mb but that means nothing @Trevor - the 8600gt is a horrible video card that is now 3 years old. It was a budget card 3 years ago and it is just awful nowadays. You definately do NOT need a 2-3 thousand dollar pc. A good dual core cpu (not a Pentium D) with an Ati hd 4670 (minimum for a good fps with good visuals) graphics card will have the game playing good. Ur graphics card may have 256mb but that means nothing when paired with such a bad graphics card. I'd almost guess that you have a Pentium D processor or a cheap low end core 2 duo since you only said 2.4 ghz. Upgrade your graphics card! Anyways, its a great game that should be bought by any fps fans - it even has dedicated servers! Expand
  43. Jul 19, 2012
    Having played most of the TW games each for many, many hours this is my least favourite. The campaign maps are mostly land and pretty boring if you liked the naval elements of Empire. Although the graphics and effects are a step up from Empire, some gameplay elements have been removed, namely the fire-by-rank ability, which I found to be ridiculous and the main reason why I will neverHaving played most of the TW games each for many, many hours this is my least favourite. The campaign maps are mostly land and pretty boring if you liked the naval elements of Empire. Although the graphics and effects are a step up from Empire, some gameplay elements have been removed, namely the fire-by-rank ability, which I found to be ridiculous and the main reason why I will never play this game again. If you are new to this franchise leave this one alone, get Empire or Shogun 2. Expand
  44. Oct 20, 2013

Orctowngrot
  45. Sep 29, 2014
    Does not launch and the support refuse to do anything or bring money back. Typical fraund.
  46. Oct 13, 2014
    Copy and pasted from my steam review

Vive l'Empereur! Napoleon: Total war is an excellent strategy game the redeems the series for the sins of Empire. The ai is much better in Napoleon then Empire and bugs are much less frequent in Napoleon. Napoleon also has fantastic historical battles, which have never been my favorites to complete in the past. The campaigns, all 4 ( I'm not
    Copy and pasted from my steam review

Vive l'Empereur!

Napoleon: Total war is an excellent strategy game the redeems the series for the sins of Empire. The ai is much better in Napoleon then Empire and bugs are much less frequent in Napoleon. Napoleon also has fantastic historical battles, which have never been my favorites to complete in the past. The campaigns, all 4 ( I'm not including Waterloo because it's one battle with cutscenes) while being more restrictive then in the past, are great fun, and present a challenge when set to very hard. The graphics are fantastic if your pc can handle them, but the game is a system hog and if you have a lower end pc you should rethink purchasing until you've read up if you can run it decently or not. Multiplayer is great, with very little connection issues and the introduction to the series of a multiplayer campaign.
    Overall Napoleon:Total war is a superb strategy game that deserves a place in every strategy players liabrary.
  47. Jan 22, 2014
    as a big total war fan i have to say, this is not like the rest of the total war games, because not like other total war games this game dont have big campaign, but insted it focused on the personal story of [what a suprise] napoleon, so if you looking mostly for a good campaign, you may not find it here. however when it come to the actuall battles then NTW is one of the best, even so alotas a big total war fan i have to say, this is not like the rest of the total war games, because not like other total war games this game dont have big campaign, but insted it focused on the personal story of [what a suprise] napoleon, so if you looking mostly for a good campaign, you may not find it here. however when it come to the actuall battles then NTW is one of the best, even so alot of people say it just like empire they are wrong cuse when it come to battles napoleon is a much biger improvment, if you are total war fans you may not like it so thinck before you buy it. Expand
  48. Jan 27, 2014
    This a vary fun game but if you are looking for a good single play don't get this one in the Total War Series. Empire Total War beats it on single player. Napoleon's smaller map, less factions and having less freedom then Empire Total War. Empire kills it on the single player. How dose it have less freedom? Lets say you play Prussia. when I play a campagin, I want to do change history.This a vary fun game but if you are looking for a good single play don't get this one in the Total War Series. Empire Total War beats it on single player. Napoleon's smaller map, less factions and having less freedom then Empire Total War. Empire kills it on the single player. How dose it have less freedom? Lets say you play Prussia. when I play a campagin, I want to do change history. When I first started to play this game I jumped in as Prussia and started off with wanting side with France and get an alliance with them. Nope. The game won't let you do that as Prussia to side with France. it might as well commends you to get an alliance with Russia. you have to do what they did in history. that what kills it most for me.

On the outer hand online battle in this one are way better then in Empire Total War. The graphics are way better, there are more maps to play on and there a lot more units to use in battle.
    So you want a vary good online get this one but if you want a good single player Empire Total War is the one to go with
  49. Mar 25, 2014
    Napoleon comes as basically an apology for the disaster of a launch that Empire experienced. They are both extremely similar games, but your preference will come down to what part of the game you covet more. Multiplayer fans will prefer Napoleon since it has better combat and unit diversity. Singleplayer fans will want to stick with Empire since it has a vastly superior campaign map and aNapoleon comes as basically an apology for the disaster of a launch that Empire experienced. They are both extremely similar games, but your preference will come down to what part of the game you covet more. Multiplayer fans will prefer Napoleon since it has better combat and unit diversity. Singleplayer fans will want to stick with Empire since it has a vastly superior campaign map and a large diversity of factions. I still encounter several annoying bugs throughout the game, and sometimes I'll crash for unknown reasons, But it's nothing that completely detracts from the experience. Napoleon is a worth addition to the Total War franchise and is definitely worth the money if you liked Empire or even just the period it was set in. Expand
  50. May 25, 2014
    For those that enjoy strategy, then prepare to be amazed. Games from the Total War franchise are not like other strategy games, they are fresher and aim to be, particularly in battles, as realistic as they can - and Napoleon: Total War is no different. On a good computer, the game can look truly astonishing - if you are running it on a lower-end PC then you may be a little dissapointed (IFor those that enjoy strategy, then prepare to be amazed. Games from the Total War franchise are not like other strategy games, they are fresher and aim to be, particularly in battles, as realistic as they can - and Napoleon: Total War is no different. On a good computer, the game can look truly astonishing - if you are running it on a lower-end PC then you may be a little dissapointed (I have played on both). From the campaign map you see the whole of Europe spread out in front of you, your armies represented by a soldier or general with your country's flag displaying pips on the side, which are proportional to the number of units in that army. My favourite part of the game is when your armies clash with others, then the game really shines. In a campaign land battle, the map will be entirely random, not preset or from a list. Also, it will match where you are - for example if you are fighting near a town then you are likely to see this town somewhere on the battlefield. In the battles effects are excellent, from the individual melee fights between each soldier to the firing of the cannon and the smoke drifting across the battlefield.

To cut a long story shorter, Napoleon: Total War is an extremely enjoyable strategy game. I highly recommend it to any fan of the strategy genre, and certainly this is a must-have for anyone interest in the Napoleonic Era.

(I apologise for the length of the review!)
  51. Jun 9, 2014
    Dissapointed small maps, worse animations then empire total war, poor and short campaign, and just very poor to be a CA game and the units r way too similar

just a bad remake of empire total war
  52. Aug 1, 2014
    This is a very good game worth of your money, I havent encountered a single bug,the battles are tactical and very fun,the graphics are good,the campaign is good and the technology tree is a polished interesting feature not seen in medieval total war,altough people who played shogun migth see it as something granted. An overall good game with very minor defects that you can look passThis is a very good game worth of your money, I havent encountered a single bug,the battles are tactical and very fun,the graphics are good,the campaign is good and the technology tree is a polished interesting feature not seen in medieval total war,altough people who played shogun migth see it as something granted. An overall good game with very minor defects that you can look pass because the game is so good.The only problem I see is that when you raise the dificuty AI doesnt become smarter in battle,they are just more powerful so you cant beat them even with good tactics because they are just to overpowered. Expand
  53. Sep 13, 2014
    A good game for strategy. This game requires a good computer like Empire. The graphics are good if your computer can handle ultra. The gameplay is somewhat dull only having 5 nations to play as and less fractions than before. Although the map of Europe has more provinces than in Empire. The campaigns are good as usual and are backed with historical deadlines. The end turn system hasA good game for strategy. This game requires a good computer like Empire. The graphics are good if your computer can handle ultra. The gameplay is somewhat dull only having 5 nations to play as and less fractions than before. Although the map of Europe has more provinces than in Empire. The campaigns are good as usual and are backed with historical deadlines. The end turn system has changed for something a little more realistic from 2 weeks instead of 6 months. Overall this game has not changed a lot from the previous in terms of graphics and gameplay in fact I don't think it has really changed at all except research of some new technologies for your nation. Expand
  54. Feb 21, 2015
    This game basically takes empire and adds a ton to the environment with the explosions craters different deaths as horses or people fall over when they get shot running and it looks way cool, adn especially the fog of war smoke stuff is SICK. GREAT game
  55. Apr 15, 2017
    Un jeu très intéressant sur le papier, ne fût-ce que pour sa véracité historique ; c'est fort bien documenté, du beau travail en vérité. Ses batailles sont un vrai point fort, plus "wargame" que stratégie temps réel classique d'autant qu'on peut faire pause durant le combat. Assez spectaculaire et correct graphiquement, il n'en est pas moins très exigeant côté matériel.

Le gros problème

Le gros problème se situe dans la partie gestion : on s'enlise rapidement dans la lourdeur de l'ensemble, très loin de l'efficacité et de la convivialité d'un Civilization ! A force de se (dé)battre avec une interface et des menus mal foutus, l'ennui s'installe inéluctablement. Dommage !
  56. May 19, 2017
    What I love the most is that Sega keeps on making the same climatic games (with obvious changes) every time. Really great battles, especially sound, it feels powerful and immersive. What I would like better: graphics and plot that is unfortunately over simplified.
  57. Jun 24, 2017
    My first Total War Game, But this it's really a great strategy game: The battles are unbelievable and really realistic. I love the zoom that make this game like a movie

1. Napoleon Total War is a great RTS game, an incredible homage to the real french emperor. With great gameplay, and several game modes for single player and multiplayer, it's a great addition to the series. But it relies heavily on the basics of Empire Total War, so it feels a bit held back due to the lack of real improvements.
  2. Not brave or bright enough to wow Total War veterans, but the battles and improved multiplayer save the day. [Mar 2010, p.80]
    Napoleon is an enjoyable addition to the Total War franchise but it's not as a big a game changer as previous sequels. While Napoleon and his armies were probably every bit as terrifying as Mongols, Vikings or Barbarians, the scope of this sequel is a bit more limited.