5.4

1. Feb 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game appears to be fun at first, but after awhile you start to feel the problems with it. The net code for multi-player games is horrid, cars will zip all over the road often ramming you to bits. Sometimes they will disappear entirely only to reappear a few seconds later as they zip by you at a 1,000 miles an hour and give you a whack on there way back to where they should be if they hadn't disappeared.

The customization is average at best, there are pretty basic performance parts for the cars you can buy, and you have a chance to win better ones from the card system at the end of races. Other than the parts you cant customize your cars performance really at all. Also the numbers that supposedly rate your cars stats (Acceleration, Top Speed, Handling) are utter bogus randomly useless numbers. They have no meaning when compared to any other car from what i was able to see.

The graphics are pretty good, but not amazing. There is NO WAY to rebind keys, or setup game-pad/Driving Wheels to be used with the game aside from the ones that are listed on there website.

The pursuit portion of the game is OK, its nothing new, and not any better than previous NFS games.

They constantly push the "Speedboost" in-game currency you pay real money for to get an edge up. If you really enjoy the game it would be worth it for the Rep/Money multipliers, otherwise I cant justify giving away money for game in such a poor state.

In closing it seems like its only about 1/3 of a game, like its a early beta test; sadly its been live for about 7 months. Still needs a lot of work, but all they are interested in doing is creating more things to spend the "Speedboost" currency's on. The best feature of Need for Speed World: it's technically free...
  2. Jan 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No. This game isn't free. You need to pay 20 bucks to you reach higher levels. What is annoying in this game is the fact that no one plays the game because is fun or enjoys speed, people play only to earn reputation (works as XP, like in RPG games) that make you unlock stuff. The game doesn't have much cars, circuits, racing modes, personalization, what makes this game even worse. The only thing that makes this game fun is the cop chases. Oh my god, that's so fun. Expand
  3. Sep 3, 2010
    No. This game isn't free. You need to pay 20 bucks to you reach higher levels.
    The
  4. Aug 9, 2012
    As much as I can appreciate a free 2 play game with decent graphics and customization elements, Need for Speed World is an unorganized, cash-in attempt on the NFS series with pay-2-win in mind as you struggle against people that's several levels above you with superior cars in the very first minutes you join.

Stay away from this game.
  5. Sep 18, 2011
    No spoilers here, nothing to spoil. I downloaded the game a while ago but have been busy playing some others. So I tried to log into the servers about 4-5 days ago. Since I wasn't able to I checked the status, it said: "The servers are up and running" in green with the little green light. Well, it also said, "We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. Thank you for your patience." It's been 4-5 days later and it still says the same thing. Tried to reinstall, did everything all the FAQs and suggestions that were E-MAILED to me AFTER the fact that someone on their live chat told me I'd have to wait to play the game. Well there have been a few posts that people have made so I guess some people have been playing it. I can't even log into the thing. The oddest part of all is that I was told I'd have to wait a couple of hours and try again. I don't really fancy sitting around to find out how horrible it will be in game. They did a promo with Tony's Pizza recently and I realize it may be that promo overloading the servers. However they should have known that might happen. Furthermore the free $5 is really $5 off. The free to play, I have confirmed with many people isn't free past level 10 and the game isn't worth 10 cents. I will never be purchasing any EA game in the future, least of all their most expensive ones. If their customer service is that bad, why should I continue to purchase their games on my consoles either? It just shows them that the consumers are pushovers and that they can take their money and then deny access to the game to these players, hide their posts in the forums and in general, act like immature little children instead of business running adults. Time to grow up and take some responsibility for your screw ups. Sorry guys, that's the lay of the land. Besides you should have some honor!

Time for us to take the power back guys, frankly I'm sick of this dodgy crap. Why you ask? Well I tried to resolve it with them and they replied with vague responses instead of simply confirming that there actually is a problem in the game, they just lead me in circles. Do yourself a favor and find a better free to play game.
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    This game isn't free. It's like free demo, you must play money for everything, i dont know gae that is F2P and u need to pay for levels, only WoW has something like NFS:World, in WoW u can play to 20 lvls for free, but WoW is still P2P. Graphics is ugly, and u must pay for everything... I don't recommend.
  7. Mar 13, 2012
    Need for Speed: World could have been a great game. It has a huge open world consisting of both Rockport and Palmont City. It has quite a selection of cars and they all handle fairly predictably, as you would expect. Unfortunately, this game is the absolute essence of 'Pay to Win', with powerups like Nitrous and the ability to turn the car in front of you into a Traffic Magnet, and the ability to purchase almost every car in the game directly with Microtransactions. Many of the customization options are also only available to those with fat wallets. This turns the game from a fun and competitive racer into a frustrating race to open your wallet so you can win. The game also seems to have a problem with hackers.

Overall, if you own any of the earlier Need for Speed titles and two controllers, you will have infinitely more fun than you ever will here. The Pursuit modes are quite entertaining, but largely unchanged apart from the ability to play them in a multiplayer mode. And generally playing them with random people can be as much fun as it can be frustrating.

It's unfortunate, it has a lot of potential but the removal of the Drag Racing and Drift Modes in the game means you can only ever race or do pursuit on the same tracks in Most Wanted and Carbon, minus the Mountain tracks. The removal of the Roll-Up races from Free Roam mean that the enormous place you have to drive around in is just a Lobby and much of the multiplayer Races are plagued by people who use as many powerups as humanly possible, hackers or people who just try to smash everyone off the road. They should have taken some hints from Burnout Paradise and went with their own game but instead they just turned a great concept into an undercooked Pay to Winfest.

There aren't many online racing games, but try to avoid this one.
  8. Jun 18, 2013
    really cool game actually but cheating is rampant, and the servers are becoming ghost towns because of it. EA has done nothing about it for months and clearly doesn't plan on it.
  9. Dec 1, 2013
    How could anybody say this free? You have to pay 100 bucks! Atleast graphics and everything else is good, but boost costs bit too much. Just bad, just bad...
  10. Jan 25, 2014
    OK... I get that there will be some overpowered cars but ALL S/A Class cars are PAID!
    Then when I try to pay there is no such option for Bulgaria ... they have to rename it to "Need for Speed: World limited***"
  11. Mar 25, 2014
    In the game need for speed world it seems good because it is free, but I played for 30 min and I got bored.
    What makes this game bad is the fact that it is almost impossible to get cash and you need to spend real money in order to buy a car that is actually nice. This is by far the worst need for speed game ever.

1. Dec 24, 2010
    This is neither a great racing game nor a particularly terrible one, but it does feel like a missed opportunity. [Issue#244, p.108]
    In an nutshell, Need for Speed World is an online racer masquerading as an MMO, where there is really very little player interaction at all. The open world is a glorified queuing system, and there is far too much grinding between upgrades, and far too little difference between the upgrades themselves.
  3. Need for Speed: World seems to be an experiment on EA's behalf, and it shows. There are other, better games in the long-running series, and it's really only the low pricepoint that sets World apart from its brethren. If you're looking for the next big racing thing, look elsewhere.