NEO Scavenger PC

7.7

1. Dec 15, 2013
    If you like roguelikes, this game is well worth the 10$. Graphics are appealing and set the scene, UI could use some fine tuning but overall it does better than most roguelikes you're likely used to anyway.

If you've never played a roguelike before: It's a brutal, permadeath, unforgiving game that will kill you ten ways to sunday for the first hours of play. If you're into intense hardcore experiences, this might be something to look into (but there are other free roguelikes if you'd like a cheaper introduction to the genre).
  2. Jan 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Frustration does not even begin to sum up the experience of this game. Neither does satisfaction. This is a game where complacency costs you 12 hours of gameplay in a single stupid decision.

This game certainly still needs some polishing, but that is to be expected from a beta-release. Neo Scavenger pits you, an unarmed - clueless - protagonist against a motley crew of the worst of the worst. Thrown into a post-apocalyptic world with naught but a hospital gown, you must find clothing to stave off pneumonia. Shelter to rest in. A campsite to stash your laughable scavenged loot - there are no infinite backpacks in this game, you're limited to a realistic carrying amount. Want to pick up a shopping trolley to carry more stuff in? Fine, but it'll cost you; reduced speed, inability to run, being burdened, easier for enemies to pick you off.

Neo Scavenger has a learning curve that is frustratingly high. You will not survive for more than a few hours on your first dozen runs. The first time you think you're playing well, you've maybe got a rifle, 3 or 4 rounds, a place to call home, and some futuristic technology - such as a water purity tester, but then you get cocky. You don't come back to your camp before it's dark, and suddenly you're pulling in a shopping cart 3 hours of work that you refuse to drop, and so you're caught by a group of looters or raiders, and you're dead in a matter of seconds - you're dead before you even realise it.

This is an ultimate game of survival. You really need to think every decision you make out. There is a feel of grinding to it - you spend hours going from ruin to ruin looting nothing but trash, you stop to scavenge some berries for food and water, then you go back to camp, drop anything of value off, and restart again, slowly finding 1 bullet here, 1 course of antibiotics there, etc. I hope before the proper release the author adds some more random elements to the game, there is a storyline to this game, and various amusing NPCs/Cities in the game for you to explore. But there is a lot of repetition that is hopefully overcome with an increase in textures, elements, items, NPCs etc. as the game is developed.

I also feel there really does need to be some sort of step back from the permadeath element. I'm not saying there should be an autosave feature every turn, but some sort of progress saving feature that compensates you from a death due to extreme randomness. For instance I died in the main city of the game due to an ingame mechanic that simply had my character hit by a car randomly while walking the streets, game over, start again from turn 1. That's just outright not fair, and impossible to avoid.

Anyway, fantastic game for those out there who enjoy a challenge. You will hate this game for a very long time, but also love it.
  3. Jan 6, 2014
    Amazing game. When I first began playing I almost immediately hated it. But, since I spent the $10 to get it, I figured I should keep playing. And after about an hour of trial and error I finally got the hang of how to play. And it was completely worth it. The game is incredibly addicting and about as intense as any roguelike could hope to be. The game is very unforgiving, but once youAmazing game. When I first began playing I almost immediately hated it. But, since I spent the $10 to get it, I figured I should keep playing. And after about an hour of trial and error I finally got the hang of how to play. And it was completely worth it. The game is incredibly addicting and about as intense as any roguelike could hope to be. The game is very unforgiving, but once you get a few vital supplies it becomes much easier. Still not easy, but a lot easier than before. And once you have them, you can begin really exploring the game, hunting, setting up camps, doing some missions. If you're interested in this game and have even an ounce of patience, I'd suggest buying it. You'll probably end up hating the game for your first 5-6 characters, which should take less than an hour. But after that I can almost guarantee you'll love it. Expand
  4. May 16, 2014
    Very fun game survival rogue-like game. no zombies, and no being killed on sight by 11 year olds. This game is literally the best and most realistic survival game I've ever played. takes place in post-apocalyptic Michigan state, sometime in the future. you wake up in a cryo-lab and have to figure who you are, and why your here. Temperature, weather, hunger, thirst, sleep, sickness, andVery fun game survival rogue-like game. no zombies, and no being killed on sight by 11 year olds. This game is literally the best and most realistic survival game I've ever played. takes place in post-apocalyptic Michigan state, sometime in the future. you wake up in a cryo-lab and have to figure who you are, and why your here. Temperature, weather, hunger, thirst, sleep, sickness, and infection are just some of things you will be battling. Good luck, you will need it. Expand
  5. Jan 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Funny enough about a year ago I was talking to my friend about how cool a true survival game would be. He recommended DayZ and as much as I've enjoyed that game (240 hours) I needed something new. This is a game for certain type of gamer. If you would like a true hardcore survival game this is the choice for you. I have invested 25 hours to this game and I am still finding myself playing this. Many will whine that this game does not push their super rigged computers with impressive graphics but considering this was a game created by one fellow that is forgiveable as the graphics are still good to the eyes. This game will NOT hold your hand. I have played free of wikis and guides and I have found it rewarding to discover new things I can do such as the variety of ways I can make a noise alarm or discovering their is a refuge that well help with all your needs near the middle of the map if you are nice. The biggest gripe I have with this game is the difficulty of this game and the story that comes with it. Their seems to be an 'end game' yet after the hours I have invested it appears I have only discovered the tip of the ice berg. This would be great except for the fact that because this game is so brutal I'll frequently find a new piece of the puzzle only to walk one hex and get shot by some dude running around killing people who have electronic devices on them. Sheesh! Overall I would give this game a buy if this sort of thing sounds interesting to you. Expand
  6. May 24, 2015
    This game is really punishing. You will die a lot of times, but the beautiful part is: you will learn from your defeats. Game pushes you to learn from your mistakes. For example: after you die from that diarrhea, you WILL boil your water before you drink it next time. This knowledge piles up over time and you progress until you are able to truly survive in the harsh, realisticThis game is really punishing. You will die a lot of times, but the beautiful part is: you will learn from your defeats. Game pushes you to learn from your mistakes. For example: after you die from that diarrhea, you WILL boil your water before you drink it next time. This knowledge piles up over time and you progress until you are able to truly survive in the harsh, realistic post-apocalyptic world filled with cultists,bad muthas and all manner of beasts. This is the real FUN in this game. On the other side, it can be really chaotic and unfair, but it is adding to the realism. I had fully geared,well fed strong character that got ambushed while sleeping and stomped to death without being able to use all that good weapons. There are some bugs present in the game, but the developer is patching them right up. I would recommend trying this game if you are into post-apocalyptic games. I will give it 8/10 because of minor bugs and unengaging,sometimes totally random combat. Expand
  7. Oct 1, 2015
    This is an incredibly detailed and well-polished game considering its low asking price of 15$. It has a stunningly deep storyline for those who wish to follow it, with multiple side-quests, plenty of mystery and intrigue, and a truly satisfying end for those who have the patience, skill, and fortitude to actually complete the game. While it may be a bit hard to pick up and seem brutallyThis is an incredibly detailed and well-polished game considering its low asking price of 15$. It has a stunningly deep storyline for those who wish to follow it, with multiple side-quests, plenty of mystery and intrigue, and a truly satisfying end for those who have the patience, skill, and fortitude to actually complete the game. While it may be a bit hard to pick up and seem brutally unforgiving at first, NEO Scavenger is artfully crafted to reward the player for learning, adapting, and trying over and over and over. With no leveling system or exp points, the only way to truly get better at the game is to learn and practice, and so when you're able to survive past a week for the first time, it's truly rewarding, and only makes you want more. Sure, the game could be more realistic in some small ways, and yes the permadeath does make uncovering the story ark difficult, but whether you're playing to survive and conquer the wasteland or to find out who you really are, there's no denying the beauty this game has. Along with the game's own attributes, the fommunity is incredibly active and tight-knit as a result of the depth and challenge of the game. There are some very well-developed mods and even a gorgeous walking-dead-style texture pack in the works. I would highly recommends this if you love survival games, but if you're impatient or looking for some quick fun, this probably isn't your game. Expand
  8. Oct 1, 2015
    This game is tough as nails, but proud of it. In post-apocalyptic Michigan, you fight cryptids, buzzard hybrid creatures, along with looters, cultists, rogue militants, and fellow survivors; all while fighting off infection, dehydration, and sickness. In a turn-based randomly-generated sandbox, you play as a character who recently awoke in a crying chamber with no memory of who he wasThis game is tough as nails, but proud of it. In post-apocalyptic Michigan, you fight cryptids, buzzard hybrid creatures, along with looters, cultists, rogue militants, and fellow survivors; all while fighting off infection, dehydration, and sickness. In a turn-based randomly-generated sandbox, you play as a character who recently awoke in a crying chamber with no memory of who he was before the apocalypse. Depending on your playstyle (or your patience) you can wander freely becoming king of the wasteland or travel around to find secret locations to continue the story. This game is so well done that even when I die 23 days in of sepsis, I just keep coming back to find out more more and try to survive for even longer. I would highly recommend this game. I've played through both Metro 2033, and Metro Last Light, and for comparison, I've played this game for twice as long as those combined. Well worth the price of 3,000 live ladybugs on Amazon. Expand
  9. Jul 14, 2014
    As a true roguelike, this game will maul your face with a shiv made from broken glass and you'll die shivering in a moldy cabin. If that doesn't appeal to you, you won't like this game. If you want merciless realism, a baroque crafting system, and handy advice on surviving the apocalypse with nothing but some pieces of a shopping cart and a shiv made from broken glass, you'll love thisAs a true roguelike, this game will maul your face with a shiv made from broken glass and you'll die shivering in a moldy cabin. If that doesn't appeal to you, you won't like this game. If you want merciless realism, a baroque crafting system, and handy advice on surviving the apocalypse with nothing but some pieces of a shopping cart and a shiv made from broken glass, you'll love this thing.

This is not Fallout 3. In Fallout 3 you craft electrorifles out of bubblegum. In this you're lucky to craft a piece of string. You will literally craft broken glass into smaller pieces of broken glass. Among the top ten games I've ever played.

Similar To:
    Arcanum
    Don't Starve
    Gnomoria
    Okay, kinda maybe the Fallout series.
  10. Jan 7, 2015
    The combat in this game is not "atrocious" nor is the UI, it takes some learning but once you get into it, it's a real hard survival sim! It's also actually a roguelike as it meets all of the specifications.

I love the setting, post apocalyptic Michigan is a great and haunting place to wander about while killing people with a rock for their rag shoes. I don't want to drag this review

I don't want to drag this review on and on, but I REALLY love the game. Go get it!
  11. Feb 2, 2015
    Nice game. I like the sense of progression of your character, obtaining clothes, water, medicines while scavenging. I love the stats system: thirst, rest, food, health etc. The crafting system is nice, but very repetitive. Combat is simple but interesting too.

The only thing I don't like is the way you die, always frustrating. You think you have all under control after fighting against weather, hunger, foes, etc. and then, a group of enemies appears, you can't flee and they kill you. I miss more information, like damage and range of weapons, how to use some objects, abilities. The manual should be improved.

Anyway, a good game to having fun and one of the best rogue-likes I played.
  12. May 25, 2014
    Absolutely atrocious game. The combat in this game makes 0 sense, the random encounters make 0 sense and the actual environmental accessibility is redundant. I can get killed with a Bad Mutha with a stick in one hit, but a Dogman can't? The RNG in the game is redundant as-well, the most minute of items are the most impossible to find, yet the most useful are the easiest to find?

The

The "Instant Death" attributes of this game should be completely reworked as they give almost 0% realism. This is a simulation of a Post Apocalyptic scavenger not, some Fallout 3 **** They literally took the concept of a Scavenger and put it in a Fallout 3 environment, and it failed miserably, I played for a few hours, died and learned nothing of how I should improve to not die a second time. There is 0 room for improvement in this game as everything, and I mean everything is 100% random and Luck. This game should be picked up with the intent of playing something that takes little or absolutely no Knowledge of gaming at all.
  13. Dec 13, 2013
    I'm not sure what's with the recent trend of perma-death games where the creators really don't want you to actually win. In this game, you start with no equipment, not even a backpack to hold moss, and you're tracked every turn by enemies with hunting rifles. You spend over 60% of the game time clicking "Run!" and "Confirm" and then eventually -attempt- to retreat from combat. The onlyI'm not sure what's with the recent trend of perma-death games where the creators really don't want you to actually win. In this game, you start with no equipment, not even a backpack to hold moss, and you're tracked every turn by enemies with hunting rifles. You spend over 60% of the game time clicking "Run!" and "Confirm" and then eventually -attempt- to retreat from combat. The only equipment you're likely to find is tree branches. You can't even hold a recipe for a strap for the rifle you will never get. According to the creators, there's no XP since "progress comes from learning how to play the game better, and using your strengths to your advantage" but all you'll do is walk around for a while before dying. Expand
  14. Jan 12, 2015
    From large shopping bags that somehow can only hold a single bag of chips and break while holding light items to needing three litres of water to barely stay satiated (the amount of water you need in a survival situation per day), game is so unrealistic that immersion is impossible to anyone that isn't stupid. Like most survival games, made by morons that know absolutely nothing about survival.
  15. Feb 13, 2017
    NEO Scavenger is a lot of fun and addictive. Unfortunately the simple brilliance of the core game is let down by immature game design reflected in the terrible UI, reliance on Flash and cheap and lazy permadeath mechanic. You can work around permadeath by regularly backing up and manually restoring temporary game files and the game doesn't lose anything.
  16. Nov 30, 2015
    An incredible survival roguelike experience.

Like any other roguelike, this one requires a ton of patience to get into and keep going, but once you're there, the game is ridiculously addictive. Vanilla game can be entertaining for up to 100 hours, but trowing some mods in, the fun can be easily doubled. Must buy if you like deep, brutal and unforgiving survivals, top-down RPG's. Do
    An incredible survival roguelike experience.

Must buy if you like deep, brutal and unforgiving survivals, top-down RPG's. Do not buy if you can not handle a rather steep learning curve and the fact that your mistakes will be heavily punished.
  17. Nov 6, 2015
    I found this game about one and a half years ago on sale, at the time I had almost no idea how to play the game or even where to start. About one year or so from that time I can finally say I've lived for more than a week in game time.

In all seriousness though, this game will kill you. Over and over again. If your a fan of VERY hard games and the survival genre you will love this game to death. It will make you cherish the basic weapons, and plastic bags.

I would give it a ten, but like the negative reviews say, it is a very hard and complex game. If your on the edge of buying it though, download the demo and give it a try.
  18. Dec 31, 2015
    I would not usually rate a game a 10, but thinking back on my 100 hours of playtime, I do not remember thinking a single bad thing about this game. The combat system is my favorite of any game.

1. Games Master UK
    Feb 22, 2015
    A bleak-but-enjoyable survival game that's occasionally just a little too harsh for its own good. [Mar 2015, p.72]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Feb 2, 2015
    Old-school strategy, what tries and succeeds to bring you first-hand all the anxieties, that you would probably experience in a post-apocalyptic world. [Issue#249]
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Jan 24, 2015
    Top games of survival genre, alas, are all built from an action or platformer base, which are rather constraining for a thoughtful (or just not-so-agile) player. So NEO Scavenger offers a unique experience: surviving with the luxury of turn-based gameplay. [Feb 2015]