• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Jun 16, 2002
8.1

1. Oct 26, 2011
    The most authentic online D&D game to date. The experiences in role-play on multiplayer servers are perhaps the most unique and genuinely interesting stories online because you are helping create them. The builder is excellent, the only thing better for people without code savvy is NWN2! Neverwinter has aged well, despite issues needing major patches in the beginning, it now allows for low-spec online gaming great for laptops. I honestly never got further then 20 hours or so in the story line simply because PLAYER MADE SERVERS RULE. Multiple DMs catering to your ever Rped whim (for good or ill) makes for the best plots. For example, I once played a dark skinned half-elf & was involved in multiple Dwarven hate-crimes, hunted down for sport as Drow. After a week of struggle, there was a political uproar.. I would log on and have bodyguards come come to my aid, spies search for the perpetrators so as to bear witness in the player made court system, and we hunted them as criminals. NO other online game can even attempt to offer this quality of story & it was all player made impromptu RP. If you want real D&D experiences with realistic RP, short of a few MUDs, you will be hard pressed to find it in any other graphical RPGs. As a DM it is endlessly fun to design new campaigns; it's so accurate that one can beta test P&P games in NWN as a simulator. Neverwinter Nights is truly one of the greatest games ever made because they let their players create campaigns with wonderful world building and DM tools. Even with almost 100 people, DMing is smooth, made easier then p&p because the dice rolls and tabulation are automated, plus access to all conversation logs etc. so that the DM can foreshadow and plan for any event. Neverwinter Nights is revolutionary, so far ahead of it's time that modern MMORPG struggle to create atmospheres like NwNs and fail: where major corporations spend millions Bioware gave the power to the players... it turns out we love the stories more then the people paid to write them. It also helps when your guiding lights are Gary Gygax & R.A. Salvatore. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2010
    The ability to create your own world and game serve via the toolset is astounding. You can also make virtually any modification you want to the game and its engine, providing endless possibilities for the Multiplayer aspect of the game. I purchased this game when it came out and still play it to this day.
  3. Nov 26, 2010
    I loved from the beginning, it was easy to play and had a lot of cheats which at that point was a plus. Reading a lot, hasn't a version in spanish but it is a superb one. MUST have on your Collection
  4. Oct 14, 2011
    Good solid classic RPG. It has a great storyline and is quite immersive. The graphics are a bit outdated today, but I'd still recommend it for anyone who enjoys a good, solid storyline in an RPG environment.
  5. Mar 11, 2011
    I quite enjoyed the campaign on NWN. It wasn't as gripping as I'd like, but not bad.
    The aspect that really makes Neverwinter Nights shine is its multiplayer. NWN has one of the best multiplayer bases I've ever seen. Bioware letting people do multiplayer for themselves was brilliant on their part, and I hope they do this in further games.
    NWN does contain a few issues and faults/flaws in
    the D&D rules conversion and I have had a few issues when playing, but NWN's amazing gameplay and fantastic community easily make up for it. I encourage anyone interested in old school RPGs to try NWN, as it is, in my opinion, the best out there.
    It's a shame Bioware doesn't go back to it's roots.
  6. Mar 25, 2011
    Truly brilliant game, this game not just gave an excellent single player but spawned the biggest friendliest, mod community I have ever had the pleasure to be a part of. Oh and it also allowed some of the best multiplayer of all time.
  7. Apr 27, 2011
    This game is old, but I would still recommend it to any hardcore RPG player. The story in the campaign isn't particularly strong, hence why I deducted a mark for it, but the gameplay and the platform has kept me playing for the past six or so years.
  8. Jun 22, 2011
    If you like complex, involving RPGs, you'll love this one. Of course there is a lot of reading -- it's an RPG (duh!!!!), the reading is a great part of the game and is well done (as is the case with any BioWare game) and helps get involved with the characters, story, and role-play. The character creation and development is even better than it was in BGII and IWD, giving you more options and possibilities for customization. You really grow attached to you character as s/he is the only thing you directly control (as opposed to a party of 6). Personally, I LOVED the OC (and especially SOU and HOTU expansions) but I can see how it would get a bit tedious. Even so, the toolset and online play provided by the game far make up for it. If you have half a brain, like to read and enjoy RPGs, especially Baldur's Gate, this game is for you! Expand
  9. Oct 24, 2011
    An awesome RPG. The singleplayer was really good, although nowhere near as great as Baldurs Gate. The multiplayer was also alot of fun, and the customization set was pretty good. 9/10 from me.
  10. Jun 16, 2011
    Neverwinter Nights is -still- an amazing game. Thats why I still play it so many years after release. While the graphics may be quite dated by todays standards, and servers are all tiny compared to the smallest MMO, the level of control and customization possible utterly destroys any MMO in the roleplaying department. There are hundreds, if not thousands of user created adventures available on the NWN vault. I would say that the DnD 3.5 rules might baffle some people, but as a DnD game it loses no points for following its source too closely. The toolset and CEP are great for creating your own worlds and customized settings, wether Wheel of Time, Lord of the Rings, or even Harry Potter (The Harry Potter one was surprisingly good, but I havn't checked in years) Heres the server i'm trying to kickstart at the moment, its a Wheel of Time server: Website: http://tabularasa.prophpbb.com/ Version: 1.69 Required Haks: CEP (2.3)/2.4 Direct Connect: 212.69.53.38:5121 CEP 2.3/2.4 will be available on the NWN Vault site, its about 1gb unfortunately but the resources are needed to make a nice world for the minimum of fuss and hassle. Expand
  11. May 31, 2011
    One of the best RPGs of all time in terms of customization and sheer content that can scale at the user's whim. While the hardest bosses are still a challenge on easy, it is great to dynamically have that option in a game filled with a decent plot and full Dungeons and Dragons environments and systems actively working.
  12. Jul 30, 2011
    Best RPG I've seen so far. I only play the multiplayer part and have been playing and also building some for many years. It is a great and versatile game. You wont need MMO's after you played this once...
  13. Nov 2, 2011
    Very good game despite being single PC with 0 full-control NPCs (1-2 partial control NPCs). Awesome customizability and moddiblity. Excellent story in the single player campaign. Character customization is unparalleled and with the aid of some modpacks even some x-rated mods that caused a tightening down in NWN2 (but at least they dindn't go as far as Civ5 and StarCraft 2 where the game company tyrannically controls your game and your mods to control both piracy and lawsuits). Expand
  14. Nov 4, 2011
    The best RPG game ever, after 10 years of NWN there are servers up with nice games like Higher Grounds, its really amazing action adventures that you can play with your friends and level up custom classes, races up to lvl 60.
  15. Dec 2, 2012
    I deliberately looked this game up after years of playing. Literally, I have been playing this game ever since it was released in 2002. I spent two hours configuring my 64-bit Windows 7 so that it could run this game. Neverwinter Nights is one of the very few games I've played in the past 15 years of gaming that genuinely deserves a 10/10. This game does everything right, but most importantly, the story, the story, the story. The massive amount of pure freedom when it comes to character creation is something that doesn't come very often. I know that this game is massively outdated, but I would still highly recommend finding a copy somewhere, somehow, and letting the magic take you for a ride. Don't spend 60$ for the new crap coming out of Bioware these days, spend nothing and buy Neverwinter Nights. Expand
  16. Nov 17, 2011
    This is the 2nd game i will never ever get bored of playing.. A true masterpiece in RPG , stunning plot,quests,hours of gameplay,perfect D&D elements..
  17. Mar 9, 2012
    The best RPG game out there, after ten after release i have finally stopped playing it, the multiplayer part of the title is the classic of classics, anyone who hasnt set foot on a roleplaying persistent world on NeverWinter Nights, cant call himself a RPG gamer.
  18. Mar 28, 2012
    Get this: when you play Neverwinter Nights, everything you do in combat is simulated by way of virtual dice rolls according to Dungeons & Dragons rules, and the game shows you every one of those numbers. RPG gaming doesn't get any better than that. This is one of the apex games of the genre, and some of the most fun I've had in front of a PC since the 1980s. Highly, highly recommended.
  19. Apr 16, 2012
    With the large world map and long story line it's a game that fits perfectly in my game collection. And in my opinion the best game of Bioware. The only problem for me was that at the beginning of this game it's really hard to find a way to level. Most of the quests are to difficult to do. But with the great online game play and great story line it's a perfect game.
  20. Jun 9, 2012
    What makes Neverwinter Nights interesing? There are many toolkits to create your own RPG games, but Neverwinter Nights also supported live DM, it also supported online play, ability to use multiple servers, and run persistent worlds. Some Neverwinter Nights persistent worlds were like small MMO games, and it was among the first possibility to create "fan made MMOs". With multiple expansion packs, including a community made free expansion pack (CEP). It is a long term classic.

Some would say: "But we didn't like some of the official story". But that story was mostly there to show us what is possible, and they certainly had more entertainment value than any other examples you would offer to would be developers. So in this genre where you create your adventures the story was considered good, but not as good as a stand alone store focused RPG.
  21. Jul 22, 2012
    NWN is one of my all time favourite games... the single player was fantastic the multiplayer on the 3-4 persistant worlds i played on was fantastic although heavy after market scripting was needed to make them work so great, NWN2 was heavily buggy and very disapointing.......... NWN1 is the paramount PC dungeons and dragons game
  22. Oct 13, 2013
    One of Bioware's finest hours. This game made me feel so bad for my actions and characters, I couldn't stop thinking about it on school and on my way home: How I could I have saved her... but she deserved it... there was no other way... please...I am sorry... I will set things right... I'll do anything!

Here in the Philippines, saving enough money to buy an original game back in 2003
    was hard as hell. I am proud I went through all that getting hungry part at school to buy this. Bioware, give me back the good old days! Expand
  23. Oct 14, 2014
    One of the best games ever made. Incredible options for character customization - beyond anything most players have likely seen before in a game. Genuinely interesting NPCs and quests. Online multiplayer. In short, it has everything. The graphics are quite dated, sure, but in terms of gameplay, it is arguably the best RPG ever made.
  24. Sep 23, 2014
    This is one of the best applications of the D&D 3.5e ruleset in video games. I have been playing this game since 2004, and I'm still not done with it. It is such a great game that I ended up getting a Win7 and up optimized version from GOG (since I had the original release copy and couldn't get it to work on Win7), it doesn't have the diversity of feats and spells that it's successor does, and the fact that it's only semi-turn-based (it's turn-based, but the turn get run so quickly that counterspelling, something that I do a lot in table top D&D, almost impossible. But as I said it is one of the best applications of the 3.5e rules out there, so for those of you who are avid players of 3.5e D&D, you would love this game, hell anyone who likes a good RPG would love this game.
    Now the campaign itself gets boring after a while (sure I have played it over 20 times), but with the addition of premium modules you can and your own modules you can make, it keeps single player fun. The multiplayer features, in my opinion are unparalleled across the Strategic RPG Genre. The diversity of the various servers (almost all of which are player made), and the amount of dedication by the owners to keep playing on the server fun is amazing. In conclusion, one of the best games I have ever played, an amazing adaptation of the 3.5e rules, and it keeps pulling you back to it.
  25. Apr 1, 2014
    I just loved every minut of Neverwinter nights.It's great game and a true succesor to baldur's gate.I loved all exp too.Who like this genre should give it a try.

1. If you’re going to play on your own there is enough to keep you playing for days, take it online and you have a masterpiece that could last you a lifetime.
  2. It's hard to fathom, but what it really boils down to is the fact that gamers may never really have grasped just how faithful an adaptation of the D&D ruleset we are looking at. It is totally accurate in every, single detail.
  3. Where Neverwinter Nights really earns the points is in its longevity.