5.9

1. Jul 14, 2013
    This game starts out quite fun. Decent combat for an MMO, linear questing and the foundry is an interesting concept.

But after you've scratched the surface, you'll find nothing but exploitative PW cash shop (pay IRL money for respecs????) the game has been hacked to shreds and they refuse to reset not to mention the region locking.

Avoid.
  2. Jun 20, 2013
    A huge disappointment, and I will explain why.

(1) Forget about customizing your character. Unlike in something like DDO.com, where even in character creation you're picking feats, skills, spells and stats, Neverwinter gives you almost no ability to customize your character. Playing up to level 10 or so, I've not seen any serious flexibility in the abilities my character has. You can
    A huge disappointment, and I will explain why.

(1) Forget about customizing your character.
    Unlike in something like DDO.com, where even in character creation you're picking feats, skills, spells and stats, Neverwinter gives you almost no ability to customize your character. Playing up to level 10 or so, I've not seen any serious flexibility in the abilities my character has. You can only slot about 5 different attacks, maximum, unlike in other D&D games where you could have literally dozens of abilities available at any time. This makes Neverwinter seem dull even in comparison to games like DDO and NWN which were released many years ago.

(2) Start caring about your twitch skills
    Combat in Neverwinter is very different to any other D&D game I've played. In most D&D games, it is your armor, your spells, your general character build that matter. It doesn't matter if you stand in a pile of kobolds if you have crafted yourself some armor of invulnerability, have enough armor class, or the right spells, they cannot hit you AT ALL. Other D&D games reward thinking, planning, and generally knowing your stuff. Neverwinter doesn't care about any of that, all it rewards are twitch skills. Enemy mage about to fireball you? Forget having fire resistance gear. Forget ducking around a corner. Forget casting a protective spell, or trying to take him out first. In Neverwinter, a red circle appears on the ground and you run away from it. That's it. It takes all the depth out of the game, making it more about your average first person shooter's twitch skills than anything which resembles any other D&D game I've ever played.

(3) Get ready to be treated like you're 8
    Everything in Neverwinter glows, flashes, or sometimes both at once. Yes, it looks pretty, but after awhile you start to feel like the game's designers consider you their personal lab rodent easily distracted by anything shiny.

(4) Enjoy your weak-ass characters
    Going back to DDO.com, in that game, I can construct a level 4-7 mage who can one-shot kill entire groups of enemies with a single spell. Yes, it takes game knowledge, crafting, etc, but it is possible. If you know your stuff you can absolutely kick ass in amazing ways. In Neverwinter, it takes a long time to kill each enemy, and AOE effects tend to be quite weak. The result is that, for my class (wizard/sorc) at least, it plays more like a slow grind fest than a game in which I'm supposed to be an offensive caster.

Upsides:
    Neverwinter does look pretty, and the ability to have player-created dungeons is great. That said, nothing can disguise the fact this game is based on the horrible 4th edition rules, which severely limit your gameplay in all the ways that actually matter. If your child wants an easy introduction to D&D, give them this. If, on the other hand, you're considering trying this yourself, don't bother. Even ancient D&D games like NWN, or MMOs like DDO, have far deeper immersion and more meaningful choices.
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    I wanted to play this game, but when I try to download it, it says to me "Disabled Region". So in 21th century we divide people on those who can play the game and those who can not? I believe I can't see any good in this game since i am not even good enough to play it here from Russia. Thanks, get your negative feedback.
  4. Mar 21, 2014
    Neverwinter has a combat system that can be very engaging and fun, but the game suffers in almost every other department. The graphics are mediocre for a game released in 2013, story almost non-existent, a PAY A LOT OF $$$ TO LOSE/USE ABUSIVE BUGGY BUILDS TO WIN game, lack of end game content coupled with easily exploitable dungeons, balance is incredibly poor between classes and withinNeverwinter has a combat system that can be very engaging and fun, but the game suffers in almost every other department. The graphics are mediocre for a game released in 2013, story almost non-existent, a PAY A LOT OF $$$ TO LOSE/USE ABUSIVE BUGGY BUILDS TO WIN game, lack of end game content coupled with easily exploitable dungeons, balance is incredibly poor between classes and within each class, PVP exists only in two capture the tower maps and a single 20v20 "horse race" capture map, and PVP balance is incredibly poor due to gamebreaking bugs that make three builds: sentinel GWF, permastealth TR, melee HR, literally two to four times stronger than other classes/builds in PVP, and endgame PVE only done by three classes with very specific builds: destroyer buggy deep gash GWF, spellstorm CW, and debuff DC. The incredible imbalance in this game virtually makes half the classes and over 75% of in-class abilities UNUSED CONTENT in a game with already not that much content, and balance gets continuously worse such as recent changes to PVP turning it into an excessively long and boring game of slowly beating people over the head until the more overpowered build and overgeared players win with SKILL being even more irrelevant than before.

This could have been a great game, but due to the devs' apathy, incompetence, and unwillingness to listen to all the good advice players who care about the game gave to them and instead delete their posts and ban them from forums, it is bleeding players at an alarming rate and it's only a short matter of time before the game is dead.
  5. CWM
    Aug 14, 2014
    When you start the game it feels awesome! However the more you play the less it feels like D&D.
    The combat ist fun! But after a couple days you realize that the whole combat happens around evading enemy special attack via shift-move into a direction. In fact a Tank is totaly gimped cause he cant evade instead he blocks and gues what blocking is nonsense in this game. The higher you get the less people need a tank.
    Because the whole combat is NOTHING but evading special attacks a class that can control enemys is superior. That means many high end groups consists of 4 mages and a cleric..... but even the cleric isnt needed when the mages are good.
    As a perfect World game its a pure DPS race.... you played Star Treck online? Yes same here. No strategy.... DPS > All

Game can be played for free, and for quite some time.... you WILL buy a Horse eventualy (30€ alone for that on average lol). Bigger inventory helps too. Nothing gamebreaking.... untill you get to max level. Enchanting your weapons can cost a fortune. So in the endgame you realy need so invest some Cash if you plan to compete in PVP.

Overal the game is not a strategic D&D game but a asian action grinder. But a GOOD one! So you like asian action grinder then you will LOVE this game! All others dont INVEST cash.
  6. Dec 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When you first play the game it seems fun but after awhile the flaws show through like Miley Cyrus. It comes off as FTP but it is tries to goad you into spending a lot of money. My character was level 16 still using a level 6 bow and yet in one dungeon run I got 8 epic lock boxes that cost real money to unlock. You have to gamble in the hopes that one of the boxes may contain a useful item. The game even spams you on what others got if they payed to open their endless supply of lock boxes as a means to goad you to do the same. To be honest I never did because it seemed so blatantly obvious. I realize a FTP game requires some form of revenue to justify the game, but there is a fine balance between nudging a player to pay and pushing them to pay. Not only do they push you they want to charge you exorbitant prices as well. It ruins the game because you realize rather quickly how dependent the game play is based upon how much you are will to spend. If you give in to temptation you will spend far, far, more than the game is worth.
    The mouse look feature was just ridiculous. You are in this constant mouse look where your mouse movement moves your view around and that is how you target individuals and then you have to always hit 'f' to communicate with someone. It gets old fast. If you want to click on a radial menu you have to hit 'alt' to get out of mouse look which then makes the whole screen go quasi-dark while the items you wish to select remain in full color. The problem is not only does it come off clunky but it looks as if you are pausing the game when you are not. Good luck trying to activate some control with your screen darkened and then hear some half-orc start pounding you.
    The Foundry where individual players can make their own quests to share seemed pretty good in concept until you actually play. Don't get me wrong there are some good ones but there are many that are amateurish. Case in point, I took part in a player created quest that was rated at 5 stars (very good), but I couldn't finish it because the 3 different solutions to finish the quest all required I had to have some skill or item which I didn't have and was stuck until I just exited the quest incomplete. It would have been nice if it told me ahead of time what I needed. Not only that but the player had put two males in a hotel room and asked if I wanted to participate or something and in another room there was a man with a horse on the bed. The man had a stupid grin on his face and the dialog stated "I don't want to know." Neither of those two scenarios provided anything to the completion of the quest and instead just came off as amateurish. Oh, and you can only do an in-game review of a quest if you finish it so in this case I was unable to share my experience because I had to exit the quest prematurely.
    In another player created quest that was actually kind of good there was an element of pointless dialog. My character kept asking the ghost in the scenario if it was going to help me fight the monsters. Each time the answer was no and yet my character kept asking. Why? What was the point? It actually got kind of annoying. Another part was the player had created some mini-background story for each boss in the dungeon. It was kind of cool because it helped to give you an immersive experience but it lost its impact when each boss had to have some cool sounding name to their history (that's why he is called Reaper of Souls, or that's why he was named Harvester of Light). Yawn, oh well. So I have mixed feelings about the Foundry. Depending on the creativity of the individual and their maturity level you may get some really good quests or you may get a lot of stupid ones.
    I played WOW for a number of years, I still do, and one thing that is good about wow was the ability to choose need or greed on a dungeon item. In Neverwinter you can do the same but it is done in a way that negates the concept. When loot drops it is not identified. Your character could potentially need it because it shows as green but you won't know fully unless you actually choose need to increase your chance of winning the item over those who select greed. If you therefore win it you have to use an identity scroll to see what it is. You would end up with something your character could use but not necessarily need because you already have something good in that slot. Because of the game not letting you know what you are rolling for you have to roll need every time or else you will lose out since ever one else will always roll need. The only point is to get you to use up your identity scrolls and nothing more. It is just plain stupid.
    Bottom line: the game is a cash cow to exploit the players. The game seems fun for the first few days but gets old quick. Like being in a new relationship the game plays upon that excitement in the hopes you will spend a lot while you are still giddy, but in the end you feel cheated because you realized you were just being used.
  7. Aug 3, 2014
    The game have a nice story and can be played... and that's just about it. There is very evident paywall between you and everything else - any upgrade for your companions, gear, and respec points. This damages the experience so much that at some point the "henchman" you bring along with you actually gets in the way more than it helps. This alongside with the very poor AI attached to yourThe game have a nice story and can be played... and that's just about it. There is very evident paywall between you and everything else - any upgrade for your companions, gear, and respec points. This damages the experience so much that at some point the "henchman" you bring along with you actually gets in the way more than it helps. This alongside with the very poor AI attached to your companions will often get you frustrated with their limited ability to act effectively . Same goes for the profesion trees. You practicaly have no use for any of them but leadership witch alow you to get some aditional astral diamonds. The game have 3 currencies. Gold (largely useless), astral diamonds (can be used for almost anything) and Zen (you can get anything with it). Zen can be obtained (at the moment) only with real money. There is astral diamond to Zen exchange but at this moment the Zen backorder is so high that it takes ages to get any and this is only logical as the only way to get one is for a player to sell it. The sad truth about it is that you have absolutely no incentive to sell Zen as you can have anything with Zen...

The chracter progression is so flat that it actually doesn't matter what stats you will get... The only thing you can make is difference is the skill pick order and its really limited difference. I have played a tank based control wizard - and it have less than 20% difference in combat time... ... ... ... worthless to say the least. Just get health on any character and you win.

PVP is the stupidiest idea you can have in the endgame... The only way you can win is to get items with alot of ZEN and to be pay-to-win player. I played like 2 matches at level 60 (end game level) and totaly quit the PVP.

Besides all that nonsence the game have like 1200-1700-2000 miliseconds server lag that kills any idea for player risks. Don't even try to approach that game as MOBA. It will be your worst mistake.
  8. Mar 21, 2014
    I started the game to see if I’d like it's supposed focus on action packed combat. To be honest I was disappointed. The potential for the combat system was immediately apparent to me but an almost criminal lack of polish or customization, and boring gameplay withhold this title from greatness.

The good: 1. it's free (self-explanatory I hope) 2. it's accessible: your character's main

The good:
    1. it's free (self-explanatory I hope)
    2. it's accessible: your character's main attacks are mapped to the mouse buttons like in Diablo III or Torchlight II. You also will not ever find half your screen occupied by different abilities and stats screens such as in WoW.
    3. the population is healthy: even in the starting area this far into the launch there was a large volume of players present. This at least means you won't be lonely in the land of....eh...whatever it's called.

The Bad:
    1. "is that supposed to be lip sync?" is what I wondered at every piece of cheesy dialogue. there was a full second delay between the voices of NPC's and their character model's lips moving up and down stiffly.
    2. graphics are atrocious: I have maxed out the settings on my beefy rig and my god does it look bad...please, if you value graphical fidelity avoid this.
    3. It's buggy: voices playing through each other, constant patching scripts, getting stuck in geometry... all the hallmarks of a low polish title are here.

disclaimer: please note that I did not play more than 2 hours of the game. I have a large library of games at my disposal and precious little play time available. I stopped playing the game because I did not feel like it was worth my time. tastes will differ and I recommend you balance my bad review with positive ones. But in my opinion it's just really bad and not worth your time. the concept behind the battle system has so much win in it though. Hence I refuse to give this title a 1.
  9. Apr 6, 2014
    The combat is fun. Unfortunately, that is the only thing this game has going for it. PvP is massively broken thanks to bots farming glory, player created content has little to no reward for doing it thanks to Craptic's policy of "it's okay to farm OUR content, but don't you dare design more efficient farms than ours".
    The chat system is so broken and badly designed, it's not funny. Every
    The chat system is so broken and badly designed, it's not funny. Every single Craptic title has the same feature, IE: If a certain amount of people ignore you, you get a 24 hour silencing. Takes even less people using the "report spam" feature on you to silence you for 24.....and people are grouping together to silence others intentionally. Oh, and if the silence falls in one of their games...it hits in all of their games.

Sure all content is free...except for certain races restricted to packs only....which is the exact opposite of what Craptic advertised in the beginning. They said "no charging for races, classes or content." and that went the way of the dodo in the first "expansion pack".

Character customization is nonexistant. You will look like everyone else in the game....just different colors. Sure, you can dye your armor...but it's still the same damn armor everyone else wears.

Questing is on rails.

Having played a character to level 40(yes, I sunk some time into this game. I'm not just going to give it ten or so hours and trash it) I can honestly say the game is NOT pay to win.....it IS, however pay to be comfortable, which is much worse, IMHO. You can't truly enjoy the game unless you lay out some cash....and then things get worse. Upgrading characters to be able to do high end content WILL cost you either money or years of time. Yes, literally years.

Bottom line: Don't waste your time on this free to pay game, nor this company.
  10. May 16, 2014
    An MMO on rails. Graphic elements are repetitive, and variation in dungeon layouts are lacking. If you prefer to explore and free roam, this is not a game for you. You follow the quests, and there is no way to get lost, since the environments are highly constrictive. In the same vein, the classes are also highly restricted, no deviation at all in classes. Your class are strictlyAn MMO on rails. Graphic elements are repetitive, and variation in dungeon layouts are lacking. If you prefer to explore and free roam, this is not a game for you. You follow the quests, and there is no way to get lost, since the environments are highly constrictive. In the same vein, the classes are also highly restricted, no deviation at all in classes. Your class are strictly confounded to a certain set of armor and weapons. Also, you are constantly being reminded that you need to spend money if you want to really advance, the micro-transaction aspect of the game is always in your face.

On a good note, the game gives you the feeling of being uber terrific tough by letting you kill hordes of enemies. The real time targeting system is also enjoyable because it makes the game feel more than a running spreadsheet. The Internet features, the mini game, and crafting aspects are also a nice addition to the game.

Overall, though the strengths of the game cannot overcome the very restrictive environments and classes. You really feel you are playing an arcade game, long live Golden Ax.
  11. Aug 5, 2014
    This could be a really good game, but it is riddled with bugs and glitches, regular unplanned maintenance and the customer support is absolutely disgraceful, i cannot even begin to explain how bad it is. The game has great gameplay when it works but this should really be renamed "Neverworks" . Avoid it as you will only be dissappointed
  12. Jun 22, 2014
    any new players to the game, quit now before you put your time in. I put 6 months into the game and lost everything. game full of glitches and hackers, you can lose astral and equipment for no reason, you can try to contact customer support or "GM HELP" but they will most likely not respond and you will not get anything back. I tried warning people in game chat then received aany new players to the game, quit now before you put your time in. I put 6 months into the game and lost everything. game full of glitches and hackers, you can lose astral and equipment for no reason, you can try to contact customer support or "GM HELP" but they will most likely not respond and you will not get anything back. I tried warning people in game chat then received a notification that i was unable to use the chat system due to "chat abuse." Expand
  13. Aug 17, 2014
    This game WOULD BE AWESOME if everything you wanted wasn't Pay2Win! I myself have blown over $300 just to get extra character slots and some new classes and races since it doesn't seem like they will EVER give them to you for free. Seriously! I had no idea that this game was going to continue down the road like this. I understand buying a starter pack or something, but races, class,This game WOULD BE AWESOME if everything you wanted wasn't Pay2Win! I myself have blown over $300 just to get extra character slots and some new classes and races since it doesn't seem like they will EVER give them to you for free. Seriously! I had no idea that this game was going to continue down the road like this. I understand buying a starter pack or something, but races, class, etc... should be part of the updates just like in Guild Wars 2 (who by the way make a **** load off of their cash shop, but it doesn't interfere with their amazing content updates and isn't required to play, have fun, keep playing at end game, etc...). THIS GAME HAS NOW COST ME ALMOST AS MUCH AS BUYING SEVERAL EXPANSIONS THROUGHOUT THE YEARS WITH World of Warcraft!!! If you want to play this game then expect to eventually be willing to pay out your ass. Otherwise you're very limited in what you can do and play. Who wants to play a game where in order to just get a new race or class you have to shell out $35 to $75 or more! I would have rather purchased the game and payed month subscription fees for content. I will NEVER buy or play another game from Cryptic or Perfect World or any other game companies that continue this horrible Pay2Win concept. (The game itself is ok. Looks good, plays fine, I was really excited about it when it was coming out and stayed with it for a while. I have played maybe 100 hours or so of the game and have many friends who tried it as well. The developers are literally forcing updates that end up changing game mechanics so the few things that you could actually get in-game instead of using the cash shop are not possible anymore or are will take sooooo much time that you'll give up way before (like getting the Angel companion which I hear requires you to log-in once each day for 360 days and you get it for free. A whole damn year!)).

FYI the game Guild Wars 2 that I mentioned before is NOT a pay to win. You just get extra cool stuff if you WANT to from the store that make your character look cool.

Thanks,
    I hope I prevent others from buying these type of titles. Even one person would be worth this review. WE need to STOP contributing to the Pay2Win game concept, so that they will stop making these horrible horrible games that only drain your bank account.
  14. Dec 3, 2014
    Regrettably I have logged over 300 hours in this farce DETRMINED to love it because I am a big time D&D fan. But, I just had to give up and sadly write this review.

I created this account on meta in an effort to save others the costly pain of trying this game. Don't. Flat out, just, DON'T. By the end of your time in game, no matter how long that lasts, you will regret having spent it in Neverwinter.

I gave them a 1 for effort, and that is it. The game works for (only) MOST of the people who try to play it. That is the only good thing I have to say. Otherwise, the game is just a blatant rip off cash grab.

It doesn't MAKE you ptw, but the ability for any yahoo to come in and CHOOSE to ptw is there (and encouraged by the devs).

The storytelling, if you can call it that might as well not even be there it is so bland and lack luster. Their is NEGATIVE involvement in your character interacting with the story or any of its elements. That is right: LESS that zero involvement. (I count "less than zero" meaning that the story is SO bad you don't even WANT to participate in it. You want to find some other way than participating in the story to level your character.)

Classes being unbalanced are at legendary levels in this game, and the devs really seem to have no idea how (or even really care to) address these issues.

End game content is at the same level as the "storytelling", it might as well not even be there it is so bad. The repetition and mindless time waste that end game content represents in this game is epic; even for an MMO.

And please, don't even get me started on their "customer service" department. I mean, I have played many MMOs, so I am used to the customer services departments of MMOs treating their paying clilents with utter contempt like some slimy thing that just crawled out from under a rock. But, PWE takes the cake. Their customer service department is there for one purpose, and one purpose only: to tell you to go F yourself with ANY issue that you may have come to them with. (and yes, that is even AFTER you make the mistake of giving them a little of your hard earned cash.) I am not even joking.

So, again, just save yourself the money, the pain, the time, and the disappointment. No matter how badly you want to like this game, just don't play it. Look elsewhere.
  15. Jun 30, 2014
    The game looks good. Wizards are okay and warriors feel okay. But... Clerics are so badly designed one wonders if the team on them ever actually played D&D. But that's not why the game is poor overall.

Like most MMOs NW fails to make my character feel special. I have no need to be a foot-soldier. I feel like that in my office. In a game I want to be a proper hero. Also, PvP? Broken/hideous. Back-end security for the game? Seemingly non-existent. Never write down or communicate your details? Never download and open trojans etc? Protect your PC and do all your 'housekeeping'? You can still get hacked and customer service won't help you!
  16. Aug 8, 2014
    No início é até bom, por toda a ambientação que um dia já li nos livros e joguei nos tabuleiros, mas depois vai ficando fácil e enjoativo. Apresenta bugs.
  17. Apr 20, 2014
    The engine and graphics are 'good enough'. The 'action' combat feels slow and plodding enough to completely shatter the illusion, the audio feels like it was mass-purchased from stock audio sites.

The missions are tedious, and the sort of thing you've seen a hundred thousand times before in MMO's. The main draw to this game, the Foundry, could have been excellent but was so marred by bugs that it turned the game into an exploit-a-lot for those who weren't willing to pay the extortionate microtransaction fees.

Overall, my entire experience of this game felt like some cheapskate had knocked together a generic, iPad app-style game, slapped the Dungeons & Dragons logo on it, and stood there refusing to let me have any kind of tolerable experience until I passed them my credit card. If you like to just give away money, send it to me. I'll at least be honest and say you'll get nothing in return.
  18. May 12, 2014
    This game has great potential but is a huge ripoff, boardering on fraud, don't bother playing.

Everything costs money even for basic features like bags, don't expect one to drop from encounters. They promote lock boxes which you have to unlock with keys that you have to buy with real cash. I opened over 20 lockboxes and most were the same item (Alchemist resource kit). Looking on the auction house there are only alchemy kits, which tells you it is not a problem specific to me. When I complained to support I got a generic comment and no attempt at resolution. Looks like my account is also prevented from posting on their forums.

STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME or at least don't spend a dime.
  19. Jun 6, 2014
    You REALLY want to like the game - it's got the brand of course, the themes, the potential for sharing adventures with your friends and potentially meeting new ones. Oh and it's got the D&D 'BRAND'; so it MUST be excellent content, right?

It's simply hundreds of INDIVIDUALS online who are simply trying to go about leveling their characters as fast as possible and to collect and auction/swindle/scam epic/rare in-game items for redonkulous amounts of Astral Diamonds/In Game Currency. No one even interacts with others. You may as well be alone in your own instance - seriously - a MMO RPG - and NO ONE is interacting with others. The main chat window is constantly spammed with useless classified ads that are full of abbreviations.

Some parts of the game are truly spectacular, and it does have parts that are enjoyable. Unfortunately as a whole it feels like a very broad puddle; shallow from end to end.
  20. Dec 5, 2014
    Neverwinter is basically a new Neverwinter Nights that tried to become an MMO game and failed big time. It is not a real MMO nor a true D&D game.
    The action combat and graphics are the game's best features. Most other well known MMOs (like WoW, Tera, Rift, Aion, AoC etc) lack in either graphics or combat (or both), since most are quite older games. But graphics are very glitchy and problematic in some areas of the game (eg Malabog's Castle, Sharandar) and overall game performance is crap even on high-end rigs. The game uses the ancient graphics engine of STO (star trek online) that simply is not made for MMOs.
    There is no raiding (upcoming Tiamat raid is a joke), PvP is a bad joke, and the whole game is one of the most linear games I've ever played.
    NW is free-to-play but more like pay-to(NOT)-win. Since day 1 of open beta there was huge exploiting, cheating, botting, hacking and all the banes of MMOs you can imagine. Exploits have been reduced over time but not in a timely manner, there are quite a lot even now after 2 years.
    Account security is minimal to non-existent, people are getting hacked and robbed all the time and IF they are lucky they MIGHT get a character roll-back after a couple of weeks that might also delete some legit items and further damage their character. The company makes sure to hide such issues by not allowing discussion in official forums (lock/move/delete threads when people saying they got hacked/robbed).
    The biggest problem of this game is its non-existent customer support and huge lack of respect for the customer (whether a paying customer buying Zen or a free player).
    For at least 1 year now there have been random mass bans (probably auto bans from scripts), that remove from the game bots/gold sellers and legit players alike, without notice or explanation. Even whole guilds have been banned like this, players that did nothing wrong (after all Cryptic never bans any dungeon exploiters). You cannot post or inquire about a ban only send an email to their support department that now belongs to PWE and get ignored.
    Neverwinter might be a cool game for casual players and the content up to max level (60) is nice, although linear (and doing any dungeons at all is a huge waste of time till lvl 60), but after that it simply lacks the content and the appropriate systems and character progression to support long-term MMO players. Apart from a ridiculous amount of dailies farming/grind there isn't much more.
    It was a game with huge potential that got progressively destroyed over the course of 2 years by Cryptic and their greedy bosses, PWE/PWI. I would recommend staying away from any PWE/PWI or Cryptic games in the future or at least not spend any money at all on them.
  21. Jan 18, 2015
    Not worth investing too much time into.

Before level 60, it's not as obvious that it's a pay to win game. At level 60, if you pve everything is fine unless you like being kicked out of dungeons so you can't loot. If you are into PVP, expect highly unbalanced matches with whatever broken class comes into play. Expect that you're going to see people with paid for items annihilating
    Not worth investing too much time into.

If you are into PVP, expect highly unbalanced matches with whatever broken class comes into play. Expect that you're going to see people with paid for items annihilating you and broken skills.

Loyal players have stuck it through only to be given horrible customer service. Items lost over bugs and their items not refunded. If you buy the packs that cost over 50 dollars (there's even one that is 200 dollars) you might get better treatment...don't count on it.

People getting banned for dumb reasons only to finally get unbanned weeks later.
    Exploiters not getting banned even though they should.

If you enter the forum with concerns about how broken the game is, mods close down the threads. They do not care about their customers and it's a very toxic environment all around.

In October, they raised 30,000 dollars from us players for extra life charity. They promised we'd get rewards within a couple of weeks. Still haven't obtained them. Once again, another slap in the face.

Avoid this one like the plague.

-Long time player finally fed up with the game.
  22. Apr 9, 2015
    Was a good game until this mod 6 came out.If you like to repeatedly do mind numbingly boring quests over and over then go sign up.If you like new content to just be reused old stuff then go sign up.
    This game has no one running the show that has a clue on DnD nor a clue as how to design new stuff.Each new mod is pretty much the same just reuse old stuff no one will notice.
    Dont waste
    Dont waste your time on this game ,and this is coming from a founding member who paid the $200 for my account.
  23. Jun 19, 2014
    This game may be an MMO of quality on some level, but it is NOT Neverwinter, nor is it D&D. I don't know what it is, but it's not D&D. I feel like it's a bought name for a franchise better left in the hands of Bioware.

The character cosmetic sliders were fun, but then I came to the stats "roll". These rolls are not true die rolls but a bag of about 20 pre-determined "sets" of stats based on what the gamemakers think the proper stats are for a rogue, wizard, fighter, etc.

The toons feel like something purchased on eBay with predetermined stats and leveling upgrades. Customization, beyond cosmetics, feels absent. Just because a rule set is the latest, doesn't mean it is the greatest. Ugh.

Outdoor competition on fetch and carry quests that we've already seen waaaaaaayyyyy too many times. Ugh.

Player crafted dungeons offer random game generated loot. What's the point? Why does my rogue need a shield? Ugh.

I couldn't make it past L13. It felt like a WoW clone given a D&D name to market their crap to the D&D audience. Fail.
  24. Jun 30, 2014
    While the other teams try to copycat WoW, brilliant minds at Cryptic went one step ahead and copied WoW pirate servers! Or maybe their development budget was too tight to afford a WoW subscription. Anyway, glitched skills? Check! Going through walls? Check! Crashes? Check! Doing dungeon for hour for boss to drop nothing? Check!

If this game would be described in one word, it would be

If this game would be described in one word, it would be "bugs". If you think I'm overdramatising, there is actually ingame community dedicated to specifically running content without exploits. That's right, playing the way supposed to be is actually a niche pastime in this game, similar to doing classic raids in modern WoW with XP bar locked to level 60. You are expected to use every single bug and glitch during normal play, or prepare to be kicked.

Action combat is ok, but forget about being competitive in pvp if you play from EU, because PWE is too cheap to maintain EU server and ping will make you a punchbag. Monetization turned to worse recently since there is no way anymore to turn ingame currency into item store one. Overall this game works for novelty but you gotta have some nerves to play it.
  25. Mar 31, 2015
    The critics are lying and have probably been paid off. Neverwinter is extremely buggy with grotesque balance for the different classes. Neverwinter handlers are notorious for making a class extremely strong in comparison to other class so people spend money on making new characters and gearing them up so they can use the overpowered class. Then, they switch the overpowered train to aThe critics are lying and have probably been paid off. Neverwinter is extremely buggy with grotesque balance for the different classes. Neverwinter handlers are notorious for making a class extremely strong in comparison to other class so people spend money on making new characters and gearing them up so they can use the overpowered class. Then, they switch the overpowered train to a different class and so people will either get destroyed by one class or have to switch to the new overpowered class and spend inordinate amount of money to gear the new overpowered class up. The game is extremely pay to win and has been recently having patches that are not in the patch notes to make it harder for people to farm for anything decent.
    Their refinement point system is atrocious and requires at least 600dollars to refine your item to a useable point or use a third party site or just bot the game. Hardly anyone plays the game when they log on, they all just afk farm because that is the only way to compete in the game without getting bankrupt. People log on not to play the game but to afk farm in a foundry. The games pvp is dead and the classes are too unbalanced for people to enjoy the game. If you look on their forums you will see that most of the forums are complaints about our their rogues or another class is one hitting on one rotating another class with the same level and gear. The flavor of the month classes can fight 2-3 of the best players of another class and win. Flavor of the month = the class that the devs have decided to make overpowered so people can spend money.
    PLEASE DO NOT FALL INTO THIS FREE 2 PLAY TRAP. This game is horrible and the money who still play it do so because of their friends and the friends they made in the game. Pvp players make rules for matches so as to limit the overpowered classes so the players for the other classes can have fun.
    I hope this review helps.
  26. Apr 10, 2015
    SUMMARY: Enormous waste of potential and previous solid developer work, I can't recommend it any more.

I really enjoyed the game at the beginning, enough to invest into a few "packs" (even though pricing in this MMO is much, much higher than it other F2P games; a mount - albeit account-wide - can cost 30EUR or more!). The good points include: - active, dynamic, interesting combat

The good points include:
    - active, dynamic, interesting combat (console-like low active skill limit, different class mechanics etc)
    - attractive graphics
    - rich world, though mostly thanks to rich Dungeons & Dragons lore
    - enormous potential user-created content (could) bring; the content users provide is often exceptional, but it is not utilized to it's full potential
    - web-based gateway to interact with game world, including crafting, guild, auction house and ENORMOUSLY FUN dice game

Unfortunately, blatant money-grabbing becomes obvious really fast and the game becomes a gear grind, with content locked behind gear score (or your CC number).
    While you can personalise your build, any change you'd make requires payment (or enormous amount of grind to exchange in-game currency to real-money currency).
    Bugs are rampant, but never fixed or acknowledged.
    Economy is in serious trouble because of rampant hackers and botters, but these issues are rarely addressed or fixed.
    There is almost no support to in my opinion the greatest, most unique feature the game offers, namely user-created content (Foundry).
    PvP is painfully unbalanced and heavily Pay to Win, modes are limited.

To make matters worse, Mod 6 (April 2015) rose lvl cap to 70 but only way offered to level up are repeatable HOURLY quests, limited to 4 at a time, in re-hashed, re-used locations.

I tried to like this game. I really did enjoy levelling (up to 60, in Mod 5 so before April 2015) - again, enough to invest (substantial) amounts of real cash into it.
    But developers seem incompetent, ignorant or too under the heel of Sales department to produce any quality content.
  27. Jun 20, 2013
    As a member of the ex-hardcore community, I was very pleasantly surprised by NW accessibility and leveling design. Gaming areas are relatively small, most content is zoned or instanced, and questing is very directive, yet Cryptic manages to avoid the corridor effect of recent F2P such as Vindictus. You encounter enough players to feel you are actually playing an MMO, but the amount ofAs a member of the ex-hardcore community, I was very pleasantly surprised by NW accessibility and leveling design. Gaming areas are relatively small, most content is zoned or instanced, and questing is very directive, yet Cryptic manages to avoid the corridor effect of recent F2P such as Vindictus. You encounter enough players to feel you are actually playing an MMO, but the amount of backtracking and mindless grinding is satisfyingly limited. The graphic design is surprisingly sober, yet the environments are varied and eye-pleasing with a maxed-out level of detail and drawing distance. When you factor in a fun action-oriented combat system, and a low dependance on the cash store, I thought I had a winner here.

Alas, the end-game is where NW fails to shine. Almost any end-game 5-man dungeon and boss fight is based on an absurd number of adds, thus putting a disproportionate emphasis on CC and kiting. As a result, the Guardian Fighter (tank), Trickster Rogue (single target DPS) and Great Weapon Fighter (melee aoe DPS) appear superfluous, while the Control Wizard (CC dps) is absolutely mandatory as is the Devoted Cleric (Healer), the latter being more understandable. This fundamental unbalance in design pidgeon-holes most classes into specific builds, which is quite unnerving as respecs are of course, this is a F2P costly, be it in time or real money. There is absolutely nothing rewarding to do on your own once you hit max level. The foundry (user-generated quest campaigns) are a great addition during levelling as they grant a very decent amount of xp, but they're limited to very basic loot tables which become worthless in regard to other activities. As in most MMOs, PvP and it's classic battleground sysem is a CC mess, only bearable during the (short) time required to get the full PvP set. Which could be at least somewhat useful except that due to very poor loot distribution mechanisms, the in-game auction house is flooded with cheap epic gear. From there, the time required to get the marginally better BoS items increases exponentially and hardly feels worth the effort (especially if you do not benefit from a stable guild). Finally, the EVE-inspired time-based crafting system is efficient and even fun, until you realise the absurd amount of time required to max a profession out, especially as the intermediate rewards are close to totally worthless. However, these flaws are relatively superficial and could easily be adressed by moderate tweaking thus my opinion on NW remains positive. The game has a solid foundation, a fun combat system and a casual-friendly approach. In its current state, and while it failed to suck me in on a long term basis, it was and remains very worth a shot
  28. Jun 21, 2013
    +Awesome combat system.
    +Leveling up is very fun.

-Horrible cash shop system. Not only because of spending money, but because it takes all progression fun away, even if you are ready to pay.
    -World feels too instanced.
  29. Jul 18, 2013
    Content gets boring rapidly. My main concern is the fact all the bosses feel the same. Avoid the red circle stand in the blue circle and deal with way too many ads (adds don't despawn after the boss dies many strategies involve purposely dying after the boss to generate a despawn). Bosses are reduced to finding exploits to avoid massive add spam such as luring the boss away or findingContent gets boring rapidly. My main concern is the fact all the bosses feel the same. Avoid the red circle stand in the blue circle and deal with way too many ads (adds don't despawn after the boss dies many strategies involve purposely dying after the boss to generate a despawn). Bosses are reduced to finding exploits to avoid massive add spam such as luring the boss away or finding methods to prevent add aggression. The other major concern if the fact each hour has an event attached to it, some of these events are rather pointless pre 60 and others are useless once you hit level cap of 60. Basically it felt like the only time worth playing is before and during a specific event pops which is the dungeon delve. Certain classes are required in a dungeon most noteably is the control wizard to punt things into lava etc and the healer. I played mostly as a healer and the mechanics are counter intuitive with tanks. If you had someone who tanks well and takes all aggression that is actually a bad thing. The only reliable heals are area of effect so damage needs to be spread out over several party members as your heals will be the same on a tank as it would for another dps and you do not have reliable single target heals. This renders the tank class virtually useless (in comparison to taking another control wizard or Rouge) for all but one dungeon where they can bug the final boss with their taunts. Poorly designed and rapidly feels repetitive, with a limited window of gametime that is randomly generated where your guaranteed a reward. Expand
  30. Nov 28, 2013
    This is mechanically sound ARPG crippled by redundant WOW features and horrible monetisation scheme.

Bugs that are well documented but never get fixed for months. Broken and not working character abilities. AH dupe that destroyed the economy. Goldsellers spam in chat like its Diablo 2. Terrible community, players that never say hi and leave without a word. Lockboxes gambling. P2W PVP with 2 maps ruined by the absence of matchmaking, constant leavers and players who have few thousand dollars worth of enchants thanks to aforementioned AH dupe. Itemshop prices that begin from 30$. Centered around whales: "You pay me 5$? Sorry but I don't think I want your money". Incredibly dull completely instanced PVE with all zones having absolutely the same structure and progression without any chance for exploration. Stay away from Neverwinter.
  31. Mar 23, 2014
    Alright, so i've decided to try for the first time a game in the Free-to-Play category on Steam, i decided to give Neverwinter a go.

Launcher ask to register an account, register account, site redirects to Gmail website (since i've used a Gmail address to register the account) despite the account being already logged in, which is suspicious. Never received a confirmation email, so

Never received a confirmation email, so i've tried to recover the password to see if it would help fix the problem, nope.

It redirects me to Arc Games which apparently is the new website for PWE, so i put the details in order to receive the new password... account doesn't exist, so i proceed to register again and the site tells me the mail is already being used. GOD.

I'm in 2014 and i can't believe how these annoying things still happen, seriously this is pure rubbish at best, and i'm not even going to waste more time with this and i'm pretty sure this is common to happen but i don't care, seriously sometimes i think i was sent back in time.
  32. Aug 19, 2013
    The game seems ok on the surface but its really pretty shallow and reaaaalllly buggy. The people running the game are also complete asshats. I had 6k of Astral Diamonds (in game currency) just disappear from my inventory and then got the following response from customer service.

Hello I'm sorry to hear you lost your Astral Diamonds. Unfortunately, we won't be able to assist you with

Hello

I'm sorry to hear you lost your Astral Diamonds. Unfortunately, we won't be able to assist you with this issue. At this time Astral Diamonds which are disappeared without any trace do not qualify for reimbursement or replacement.

We would like to encourage you to submit a Bug Report, with your findings, directly to our QA team. This may be done by selecting 'Bug Report' from the list of available help options. Do note that Bug Reports are reviewed by members of the QA team, however you will not be able to edit or view any reported bugs. Additionally, Bug Reports do not receive personalized responses.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in this matter. Thank you for playing!
  33. Jun 2, 2014
    I don't recommend this game for anyone. I played about 900 hours of this "thing" from the open beta(soft launch in March 2013) to the release of Module 2.

Unfortunately the clowns in Cryptic and Perfect World are turning the game even more P2W with every patch. New reskinned mounts became companions and reskinned companions became mounts that cost outrageous amounts of Zen. PVP is dominated by bots, 110% mounts and players that have bought his gear with money, like the Tenebrous enchantments. Bots are dominating the market and the developers do nothing to punish this behavior. Every new patch introduce new bugs and exploits and old bugs and exploits still haunt the player community from the soft-launch in March 2013.

The game has 6 classes now but you need only 3 to do the end-game content, a Divine Cleric, a Trickster Rogue and 3 Control Wizards, oh wait, the game has no end-game content too! Boring and repetitive dailies and "epic" dungeons full of glitches and exploits are the only thing to do after max level. And before I forget, the community are one of the worst that I have ever seen, fanboys and dumb kidos everywhere, defending the need of profit for the company that are milking them.

Stay away from this thing.
  34. Jul 22, 2013
    This is a decent game. I would give it a 6.5/10 if I were in the States with about 100ms latency. Unfortunately I am not and my latency is about 350-480ms. So my review is mainly for those who does not have great connection to the game.

Actually 350-480ms is not awful at all if the game engine was designed and polished properly. 350ms in NWO feels like 550ms in DDO and 900ms in GuildWars2. That is how bad the game engine is. Due to the semi-action combat system and poor latency compensation algorithm and game design, you will most likely get a very frustrating experience if you do not have a good connection. Still playable but you will not enjoy it as much.

Latency apart, this game does not feel like a D&D game. It offers nearly no character customization. So if you are expecting a D&D experience, this is probably not the game for you. I recommend DDO if D&D experience is what you are looking for.

Besides the "Foundry", this is just another MMO; a visually dated MMO.
  35. Dec 9, 2013
    Not worth the time. With so many other free to play games available, there is no reason to play this game. I found myself searching for anything about the game to be worthwhile and was left empty handed. The story development is dry and confusing, the game play is repetitive and boring, and the general feel is that this is a rushed game. Unfortunately, I find nothing about this gameNot worth the time. With so many other free to play games available, there is no reason to play this game. I found myself searching for anything about the game to be worthwhile and was left empty handed. The story development is dry and confusing, the game play is repetitive and boring, and the general feel is that this is a rushed game. Unfortunately, I find nothing about this game appealing and felt like I had wasted my time playing it. Expand
  36. Aug 8, 2014
    summary : money money money y
  37. Jun 21, 2013
    I would have loved to review this game when it was released. Unfortunately, they decided to pretend it was in beta, well after the public release, cash shop and all. That's a bit sleazy. Heck, I think "Neverwinter: A Bit Sleazy" is a fitting name. It's a fun game for a while, but far too repetitive, with same-looking characters running same-looking zones to kill same-looking monsters,I would have loved to review this game when it was released. Unfortunately, they decided to pretend it was in beta, well after the public release, cash shop and all. That's a bit sleazy. Heck, I think "Neverwinter: A Bit Sleazy" is a fitting name. It's a fun game for a while, but far too repetitive, with same-looking characters running same-looking zones to kill same-looking monsters, all the while offering you the chance to ride faster, craft faster, kill faster, if you would only spend some real money. "You don't have to spend money!" I head fanbois cry, and that is true. You don't. But I can tell you this. When you play for free, everything you do will be slightly slower, slightly more monotonous, or slightly more annoying, because you can't even respec your character without an item that has to be brought into the game with real money. So play the game, by all means, but as soon as you get tempted to buy yourself a thirty dollar horse, or pay real money for a respec, consider how free the game really is. Expand
  38. Aug 23, 2013
    Firstly I would just like to say that I have over 400hrs logged into this since beta so it pains me to be posting this as a ZERO review but it needs to be done.

On the first day of its long waited module 1, Cryptics' Neverwinter Online witnessed a huge wave of exploit which allows a precious epic item to be obtained at 1/20 of its original market cost, a bug that has been reported on its own test server 6 days prior to the launch, but received no attention from the devs. After the incident, Cryptics did not perform any rollbacks and expressed no intention of taking any sort of measures against the exploiters, neither are they willing to track down the exploited epic items.

This has led many players like myself who have supported the devs/game to feel totally frustrated, furious in some cases.
    Months of grinding and were just told that cheating is fine:/
    Well save your money and your time folks as its clear that as long as PWE/Cryptic are making a then they don't care what the players do...

An extremely disappointed D&D fan..
  39. Sep 8, 2013
    I think that an MMO should be played at least a month before making judgments. Many reviews here are totally inaccurate because they did not see the endgame. Neverwinter is a game full of bugs, exploits, bots and glitches. Great story. Lovely design. Awesome combat system. But too many bots and exploits. Finally it's a casual oriented P2W. I have played this game since open beta. I veryI think that an MMO should be played at least a month before making judgments. Many reviews here are totally inaccurate because they did not see the endgame. Neverwinter is a game full of bugs, exploits, bots and glitches. Great story. Lovely design. Awesome combat system. But too many bots and exploits. Finally it's a casual oriented P2W. I have played this game since open beta. I very strongly hoped devs could change something but it's been months and there is no intention to change the biggest problems. It's really a shame to waste all the good has been done, but unfortunately this is their intention. An opportunity exploited badly. Expand
  40. Dec 6, 2013
    3 words can resume this game very well:

PAY FOR WIN. And pay a LOT.... i been playing this game since beta, i suffer all the hacks, bugs and the spensive crap in the shop, i actually buy a 40$ mount, YES 40$ mount is consider a "micro transaction". The biggest problem is that when you get to max lvl you dont have anything to do, the pvp is bad, the foundry is fun the first 3 times,
    3 words can resume this game very well:

PAY FOR WIN.

The biggest problem is that when you get to max lvl you dont have anything to do, the pvp is bad, the foundry is fun the first 3 times, the rest is just the same over and over again, is linear, the quest are ginding and boring.
    My advice is STAY AWAY FROM THIS GAME, looks nice but is not fun and is gonna try to milk you, FTP is a lie, like the cake.
  41. Dec 16, 2013
    Summary

The game will keep you entertained for awhile, but after you hit level 60, it goes downhill from there and quality noticeable drops. The Good Neverwinter has excellent combat and physics as well as good tactical elements that make the game fun. The graphics are above average for an MMO and the sound effects in combat are excellent and immersive. Controls feel solid and
    Summary

The Good

Neverwinter has excellent combat and physics as well as good tactical elements that make the game fun. The graphics are above average for an MMO and the sound effects in combat are excellent and immersive. Controls feel solid and everything is very responsive from target specific enemies in a crowd or dodging attacks. Players who invest in mechanical keyboard and precision mice will make good use of it in here. Combat is fun and for those with good sound systems, this only makes it more enjoyable.

The Bad.

The game is very simplistic for a D&D game. One of the questionable aspects if the decision of Cryptic you make use of only 3 slots for powers, 2 slots for dailies, and 2 slots for passive skills, which in this day and age for very limiting. You do not have multiple hot bars and in order to swap powers, you must navigate clumsily through the menu to do this. After you swap powers, dailies, or passive skills, there is a fairly long duration before you can start using them.

There is also a large lack of class variations and customizations. You have six classes when approaching level 30, can choose a paragon path which is a sort of subclass for that class. Cryptic had a very good chance here to make things interesting but decided not two. The are very slight differences between either affect gameplay very little and most players will see no differences at all. In the end, everyone in the game pretty much uses the same cookie cutter template for their class.

There seems to be balance issues concerning classes. Fighters aren't generally welcomed in any group, and the game is comprised mostly of rogues, wizards, and rangers. The reasons are fairly obvious when you play game and I won't go into details because the list of issues are large and can be found at the official forums.

Other concerns
    The community is very elitist are very unfriendly to feedback in the forums and are just as rude in game. Developers seem to be more concerned with bringing updates for cash items than making meaningful changes to the game and the new content dubbed Module 1 and 2 both use the same cookie cutter layout but with different map layouts and graphics. Most quests are pretty much fetch quests or killing stuff in a general area.

Conclusion
    Good combat, responsive control, but poor decisions make the game unenjoyable in the long run.
  42. Jan 7, 2014
    This game is the perfect reason why people should hate Free to Play games. (Pay to Win)

The combat is the only thing that is pretty nifty in the game. Other than that it's a grind and how you have to pay real life money to get a random bag to not even get what you want is a joke. Want that cool companion that isn't garbage that you initially get? Well for $30.00 you can get a pretty decent companion.. well what if you want to raid and only have the crappy companion that the game gives you.. good luck. I've seen people get booted for not having the epic character companions.

Want to craft things, well after waiting over 8 hours or more for your hirelings to finish (unless you pay to speed it up) it takes forever. Most crafting items later on will require items that you can only get from the AH which will be super expensive or you can pay $16.00 for random loot bags that might contain the hammer or pick or sheer tool.. all depends but I've spent over $50.00 to get a hammer so I can progress and zero luck.

Just a huge money sink to progress and I'm ashamed of myself for falling into this trap of a game.
  43. Dec 9, 2013
    Note: it looks to be a quite enjoyable game, and the cinematics are stunning. The low review is due to tech and customer support, which is nil as I couldn't even contact them. If this improves, I'm more than happy to up the review.

It looks a lovely game but beware the firm's tech support. I've just tried to play a new character, but their server failed mid-game. I'm told to report the error, but their website actively stops you from doing so due to abysmally poor design (demanding I select catergory, yet I had already done so). Going to contact them directly about this additional error, I'm told 'Your question hasn't been submitted'.

So far I've played 15 minutes, but spent 30 trying to report a server failure to them, and having to navigate their pathetic website. Sadly, as this game is online, server stability, website function, and helpful support are aspects of the gaming experience. I could log into the game, but my character couldn't be retrieved, nor could I make another one to just get playing again, and best of all, I couldn't even access their shop. So the login worked, but nothing else did!

In summation: Enjoy the free game and the beautiful cinematics of Neverwinter, but be extremely cautious about giving this firm any money. I doubt you'll be able to contact them if something inevitably goes wrong. I just hope that my experience was a one off.
  44. Sep 26, 2013
    Most imaginative, addictive, and serious MMO I've played since WoW first came out (before all the hoopla). If they don't fix the bugs, however, fail.
  45. Oct 16, 2013
    This is what a Dungeons & Dragons game on the PC should be. It's one of the most beautiful and balanced MMORPGs I have ever played. It has become my main game.
  46. Oct 26, 2013
    Was a huge fan of the game while in beta...until beta became release-but-still-officially-beta-whenever-we-repeatedly-screw-up. The amount of exploits that made it to Live even though they were reported in beta (which really wouldn't have been that big of a deal were it not for the fact that everything revolves around Astral Diamond currency, thus lacing the entire aspect of the game withWas a huge fan of the game while in beta...until beta became release-but-still-officially-beta-whenever-we-repeatedly-screw-up. The amount of exploits that made it to Live even though they were reported in beta (which really wouldn't have been that big of a deal were it not for the fact that everything revolves around Astral Diamond currency, thus lacing the entire aspect of the game with a heavy dose of greed; especially in PUGS where people would roll Need on a stale cracker if they could), shady business practices including offering "exclusive" pre-order packs during beta and then just selling the same packs under a different name when the game goes live, high Zen store pricing compared to other real-money currency MMO's, and the shadiest forum moderation team I've seen since when The Matrix Online first went live...all this combines to take away from the positive aspects of the game like it's combat system.

Like Cryptic's other games, Star Trek Online and Champions Online, I have a feeling it'll take a year or several before the negatives of the game get addressed and/or whittled down enough to let the positives truly shine. Which is a shame because the actual game is a fun ride to the level cap.
  47. Dec 28, 2013
    I want to like it, but I can't. Feels like a linear hack and slash game to me. Hardly any weapon or armor diversity, and just reeks of shallowness. The customization and openness just isn' there.
  48. Dec 17, 2013
    I feel like many of these reviews are either shill accounts for other games(since many of them are telling you to go play game) WoW fanboys threatened by competition to their dying game and people that never got past lvl 10. For the record I'm a long time MMO player dating back to the original everquest (ff11,WoW,tera,rift,aion,SWTOR and most recently ff14)through which I've seen theI feel like many of these reviews are either shill accounts for other games(since many of them are telling you to go play game) WoW fanboys threatened by competition to their dying game and people that never got past lvl 10. For the record I'm a long time MMO player dating back to the original everquest (ff11,WoW,tera,rift,aion,SWTOR and most recently ff14)through which I've seen the evolution of MMOs firsthand and also experienced many of the long time issues associated with the genre. For the record I've played as only a cleric and that is my primary perspective of the game, from the start all the way through multiple complete runs of Malabogs castle(the hardest raid before the new content release)

First I'll discuss the criticism about the game since so many reviews are quick to lash out harshly toward the game(pay to win, broken abilities, no customization etc). Most of these negative reviews were written within the first week of open release and arguably hold some truth about things being broken, but nearly all of them were completely fixed within the first month and people that think the dev team is slow here should have tried some other games like ff11 if they think problems went unfixed for long.

Secondly the whole pay to win thing is arguably true but here's the kicker with that statement, yes you COULD spend a bunch of money buying real money currency and converting it into auction house currency to buy all your end game gear. The problem with that idea is that by doing that action you have basically voided the need to even play the game, since you will have skipped all nearly all the endgame content and it will be virtually pointless to even run most of the dungeons; now I don't know about some people but when I play a game I actually care if obtaining my gear was a meaningful experience and just getting BiS items for the sake of bragging is childish imo. For the record I spent 20 dollars on the cash shop to buy my ioun stone(an endgame pet which allows you to equip items and enchants on it that directly increase your own stats), this and the bags are arguably the only "pay to win" items in the shop since it is the best pet in the game for several classes(new ioun stones have been added that may be better for other classes but I'm not sure since I'm a cleric). Virtually every other item in the cash shop is either for cosmetic looks or bragging rights. Considering that I spent hundreds of dollars over years playing WoW and other games I don't consider paying 20 dollars that big a deal for a well crafted fun game.

The third criticism I'll address since I saw it on multiple reviews was a "lack of customization", I don't know where this idea came from but its totally bs and probably someone shilling out pure lies. You may not get as many hair customizations as say...an asian MMO like Tera but there are still many customization options among the potential races to look relatively unique. Another thing about customization that i infinitely appreciated was the ability to change the look of any armor to that of another armor; for instance you might find some lvl 40 armor that you thought was really cool but your best in slot epic might look kinda dumb to you, so you can change your epic armor to look like the other armor that you previously liked. There's also a dye system which allows you to change colors of all your gear to fit whatever look you find the most appealing, this was a huge plus to me as an rpg player and allowed me to create a unique look(in combination which the look changer) that nearly nobody else had while still using my BiS gear.

Now I'll get on to what I really liked about the game

The primary thing NW has going for it is its fluid and fun combat system, it provides you with a "don't stand in the fire" type circle/cone indicator which shows you where bosses attacks are going to land and avoiding them is usually critical to successfully completing an instance. Another thing I greatly appreciated was the 5 man design of all endgame content; it may just be that I'm getting older but I no longer have time to sit around waiting for 10/25 people to group up and successfully complete raids for hours on end. In NW i can quickly find 4 other random people in town with the appropriate gear and get into the hardest content in the game usually in less than 15 minutes and have it completed within an hour or 2 at most. Coming from WoW where I would sometimes stand around for an hour or more just waiting for a raid to start or people taking breaks and things in a raid that could take hours, this was a pleasant change. It also dramatically decreases the amount of competition you have for drops and makes it much easier to progress gear wise without having to run the same raid 20 times in a row to get your group geared. I could type much more but I'm running out of room here so I'll just state that in conclusion the game is solid and is definitely worth a try for MMO fans out there.
  49. Dec 25, 2013
    I want to love it. I really do... But something holds me back from giving it a higher score.

Let me elaborate. I've been a huge fan of the Neverwinter series from the start, and when I heard it was going to be an MMO, I got excited. Then I heard it was free. I was ecstatic. Then I played it. Now it feels like something's missing on a very basic level, and I can't help but be a little disappointed.

1) For starters, the controls are tight and very fluid for an MMO. The fact that the screen moves with the mouse without holding a mouse button down is revolutionary and Cryptic did a great job getting that part right. All default mappings are close to movement keys and everything just works. The game plays almost like a third person shooter would, complete with a reticule and everything. The bad thing is that it's TOO simple. There are a limited number of attacks you can employ because of the setup and the complexity of your average MMO's combat exceeds NW's because of this.

2) NW remains somewhat true to the D&D spirit of character creation and play. There are a wide variety of races to choose from (although most of those you can find in a Tolkien book and I would love to see more exotic races like the Catfolk). In fact, the choices for playable races far exceeds that of games like The Old Republic MMO and all are available for free, which is very nice. Also, you can create a unique bio and back story for your character which, sadly, means absolutely nothing as every character starts out in the exact same area and you are just left with your imagination as to how you got there in the first place. Overall it's on its way to becoming truly great in terms of customization, but just misses the mark as most build options are eerily similar and your choices seem to have little if any- weight on the story.

3) Perhaps the worst pitfall is that Neverwinter follows Cryptic's predecessors, in that there is a lack of content for higher level players compared to games like WoW. Even when you aren't at a high level, each portion of the game feels sectioned off from most other players, or "instanced", and the concept of a "massively-multiplayer-online game" becomes pretty ironic. Other than leveling, there really isn't anything else you can do and it can be quite lonely at the top. Now they did introduce a level creation system that is pretty neat but don't expect it to hold your interest for long as it's quite limited. Even a neat sandbox system isn't enough to keep me playing this game.

4) This game is free. That is a good thing and a bad thing. It's bad because you know that somewhere down the line, the developers are going to need to find a way to monetize. They do this through the a shop where you pay real money to do things like respec your character, get higher level gear you know, things you already expect of MMO's for free. The good thing is you can play almost everything the game has to offer without any real money, but you will always feel disadvantaged compared to those that do spend Take it for what you will. IMHO I would rather drop $60 for a game than have to piecemeal my way through these gimmicks. In fact, I think that overall quality suffers from a F2P model more often than not as people who have to pay expect more of the game going into it.

Is Neverwinter the greatest MMO since WoW? Meh... Probably not. Certainly not by the standards I hold the Neverwinter series up to. Is it worth a play? Definitely. It has a lot going for it all things considered and with some improvement (especially regarding exploration instead of on-the-rails action) it could really be a contender against some paid MMOs. If Cryptic/Perfect World can push out some radical updates that addresses some of these issues, then you're looking at a worthwhile experience. Until then, it's nothing compared to other standby MMOs.
  50. Aug 22, 2014
    Pros:
    1. the game combat system is dynamic & very simple which makes it good breather.
    2. it is F2P and unlike other chineese korean MMO's it is not a pay2win game which is huge since the company is PWE and Neverwinter is something new 3. This game is Pay For Convenience so basically pay for mount and save a month of saving which is great for real money payers 4. The existance Of Zax
    Pros:
    4. The existance Of Zax where you can trade ingame currency farmed by F2P players for exchange of Zen (real game currency) so Zen Sellers get access to ingame currency and F2P get access to Real Money Store
    5. Multi Language Client
    Cons:
    1. This is MMO so grind your way out to be something in it
    2. Support from Devs are minimal unless a crisis happens considering cryptic got tons of projects to administrate and other game it is understandable
    3. Fast Content Release without further revision on test servers before the release on live servers because they are pressed by release date to wizards of the coast.
    4. Zen Store Items are High, so be ready to spend like $1,000 to get your characters best gear and enchants.
    5. BOA and BOE killed the game free economy and dungeon runs, so dungeon runs are just for the sake of fun and not profiting
    6. Game Consume lots of Memory and FPS get high so much in many occasions
    7. Characters Cinematic portray are not like WOW and in comparison fails to give us franchise appealing characters which is major disappointment since this is a D&D the mother of RPG and Lore story telling

but considering it .. it is one of the very best F2P MMO games with cool graphics but minimal support
  51. Jun 27, 2013
    If you want something to pass a few hours time then sure give Neverwinter a shot, it's 'Free' after all. But note that every single thing in the game has a charge, and not a small one either. For example to respec costs real money, to get anything more than a standard bag to hold items is also paid with real money. Any more than two characters, faster mounts, everything. A bag to holdIf you want something to pass a few hours time then sure give Neverwinter a shot, it's 'Free' after all. But note that every single thing in the game has a charge, and not a small one either. For example to respec costs real money, to get anything more than a standard bag to hold items is also paid with real money. Any more than two characters, faster mounts, everything. A bag to hold items worked out to be about 7 or 8 euros. For 1 bag.
    The lag spikes and rubber banding were awful in pvp and cities, and the fact they kept saying 'its in beta' yet happily took your money for items was a bit of a joke.
    Also (and this was the worst for me) if you are grouped with a friend waiting to do pvp or an instance, you cannot quest any further than the immediate vicinity you are in. Most of the areas to quest are instanced and so if you are in a party it simply tells you that you cannot leave as you are in a party. so you have to make a choice, sit on your ass and wait for the instance call (which can be a while 25mins at times) or leave the group with your friend and queue alone.
    Great design there guys.
  52. Jun 25, 2013
    From the get go this game seems to pull off what it was going for, a f2p instanced MMO that delivers a solid experience for both D&D lovers and newcomers to the IP.

However after several game-breaking bugs Exploiting Foundry to get 60 in 2 hours, then after that nerf exploiting quests to get 60 in 20 minutes, then after that exploiting bosses to get unlimited loot.. to finally exploiting the AH to DUPE millions of IGG.) the game has lost it for me, I don't believe they can continue to provide a solid, fun and consistent experience for anyone serious about MMO's.

Not awful but certainly a ways off from the big boys.
  53. Jun 27, 2013
    As one who has been craving a digital portal back into the Forgotten Realms, I have been eagerly awaiting Neverwinter's official release. I'm happy to report thet Cryptic Studios has fulfilled my desires and then some. By far, the strongest inclusion is the Foundry- Cryptic's tool that allows for player genertated content to manifest in the game world. It is a truly rewarding incentiveAs one who has been craving a digital portal back into the Forgotten Realms, I have been eagerly awaiting Neverwinter's official release. I'm happy to report thet Cryptic Studios has fulfilled my desires and then some. By far, the strongest inclusion is the Foundry- Cryptic's tool that allows for player genertated content to manifest in the game world. It is a truly rewarding incentive to log in each day knowing new content is waiting! Another high point is the combat, which is action-based and restricted to a relatively small number of abilities the player chooses from a much larger pool. I have spent considerable time joyfully agonizing over which of my many abilities to have active. Main characters and plot lines are voiced, something I now consider an essential inclusion for storytelling in the genre. In-game activities are always only a click away, with current events listed conveniently near the mini-map on the UI. Crafting and the auction house can be accessed from outside of the game through the Neverwinter Gateway making it possible to stay active when away from your home PC.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that although no content is locked behind a pay wall in Neverwinter, convenience and cosmetic items available in the cash shop are steeply priced- making me long for the days when you simply paid your $12-15 dollars a month and that was that (I may be in the minority on this one).

While I think Neverwinter appeals to a specific audience, I believe the members of that audience will be using Cryptic's portal to the Forgotten Realms for many years to come.
  54. Dec 31, 2013
    game that crashes constantly when you try to enter a new area, that take 3000 years to download patches that don't fix a boring, uninteresting storyline, and generally a big waste of time ****/10 would never touch again
  55. Jul 23, 2013
    While the game is somewhat fun to play at the beginning, in that mindless action kind of way, it's not really that fun for the time you invest. There's no real narrative story, and no real sense of fun. Max Level end game is even worse, the PvE monsters just have a ridiculous amount of health and the minions just keep respawning. It's a cheap way to make it seem difficult when it's not,While the game is somewhat fun to play at the beginning, in that mindless action kind of way, it's not really that fun for the time you invest. There's no real narrative story, and no real sense of fun. Max Level end game is even worse, the PvE monsters just have a ridiculous amount of health and the minions just keep respawning. It's a cheap way to make it seem difficult when it's not, and it's not fun. You're literally just hitting the boss monster for 15-30 minutes waiting for it to die while trying to stay alive, seriously. There's also not much to do at end game, and what's worse is everything is geared toward trying to get you to spend money on the game at ridiculous cost vs the value you get. They also nerf the classes for stupid reasons which may break your character build, and they have traps where if you choose wrong during leveling, you have to pay money to fix it later. The whole game is designed around getting you to invest time in the game, and then trying to get you to give them money. If you are a fan of D&D or the previous Neverwinter Night PC games, this Neverwinter MMO is nothing like either of those. You're better off not even trying it. Expand
  56. Dec 8, 2013
    The game does not have european servers, that means you will have 300+ ping. In combination with combat system that demands your quick reactions it means you wont evade anything, you wont be able to compete in PvP etc.

I do NOT recommend this game for anybody from central and eastern Europe.
  57. Jul 21, 2013
    I really wanted to like this game, but couldn't get into it. There were too many bugs to feel comfortable and it seemed just a bit too money hungry. Maybe in time it will improve.
  58. Jan 4, 2014
    With several "TOP MMORPG" lists saying how awesome Neverwinter is, I finally decided to try it.

Biggest. Mistake. Ever. Game graphics are nowhere near the trailer. They have premade heads for customization but all options are blocky and just not pretty at all. You can try to tweak it yourself but nothing helps. I've spent over an hour creating a character and it was just

Biggest.

Mistake.

Ever.

Game graphics are nowhere near the trailer. They have premade heads for customization but all options are blocky and just not pretty at all. You can try to tweak it yourself but nothing helps. I've spent over an hour creating a character and it was just terrible.

Gameplay is interesting... IF you can actually play! The game lags so much you'll find your character doing the Cha Cha (it's a dance) half the time and the other half he's just crazy jumping all over the place. I keep getting Server is not Responding at the top and no amount of complaining in their forum will get you help. Zero Customer Service. I'm not even surprised to see the other guy's review saying customer service told him they can't reimburse him for his missing in game items.
  59. Jun 20, 2013
    Despite only a few twists on the old formula, Neverwinter somehow manages to feel fresh in its overly populated genre. Without doubt Neverwinter's selling point is its combat system which is the slickest available in the current lineup of MMOs. While you're still sculling potions and awaiting cooldowns, the combat feels engaging and dynamic. The many instances are inspired and fun althoughDespite only a few twists on the old formula, Neverwinter somehow manages to feel fresh in its overly populated genre. Without doubt Neverwinter's selling point is its combat system which is the slickest available in the current lineup of MMOs. While you're still sculling potions and awaiting cooldowns, the combat feels engaging and dynamic. The many instances are inspired and fun although boss mechanics don't vary much they become very challenging and team-oriented around level 30. It's possible to get many hours of enjoyment out of this game without paying a single dime, though Cryptic have sneakily monetised vital aspects of the game. The first and only money I have put down after around 60 hours of play was on extra bag space, which is cripplingly tight. The world isn't massive though Foundry content greatly expands its overall size. With fresh content released almost weekly and a large player-base, give this game a shot you're bound to like it. Expand
  60. Jun 22, 2013
    Typical free to play MMO. The Foundry is 'ok', but HIGHLY dependent on players. That means some good content, but mostly 'meh'. They gouge you in the pay shop, and those bundle things are a scam.
  61. Jul 3, 2013
    Not impressed with only two character slots? What's that about?

Not impressed with crafting mechanics, impossible to craft as you level as crafting takes forever to level up and so I was unable to make anything for myself to wear. That bites. It also seems as if to craft many items you need cash shop, I have never seen another game as ruthless with the cash shop as this one. I
    Not impressed with only two character slots? What's that about?

I enjoyed the dungeons and raids until level 30 and they became impossible to survive. So without them you are left with the player created missions which were 'meh'

Gathering resources is awful, you have to buy kits, they are horribly expensive in the beginning and add to the stress-fest.

The companions is the best part of the game imo but as they all look identical, the shine wears off them too.
    If you are wealthy and love to splash the cash you might be able to spend your way into a better experience.
  62. Jun 25, 2013
    Pretty good free game (at least for some days)... After this, you really have to pay. No money, no honey, no fun. If you don't five real money, you'll stay with two chars, boring companions, items, etc while all around you other players get the good stuff. I really prefer "pay per month" MMOs, cause at least they're sincere and everyone starts on a level basis.
  63. Aug 29, 2013
    I am not going to post any review this time, just some links, so you can see Neverwinter Online exploits and bugs with your own eyes (captured in instance "Malabog Castle"):
    bit.ly/1a18DSP http://bit.ly/17laXA7 |
    And my fav one Neverwinter Inception style: http://bit.ly/15zqtrs Enough? What about some serious modem/routers disconnects, directly caused by this game?
    bit.ly/1a18DSP http://bit.ly/17laXA7 |
    And my fav one Neverwinter Inception style: http://bit.ly/15zqtrs
    You've been warned.
  64. Sep 8, 2013
    This game can't decide if it wants to be a PVP focused battle arena game, or a PVE/role-playing game. In order to make the PVP "balanced" between the classes, all the classes that D&D fans know and love have been reworked into some homogeneous soup. Class diversity has been scrapped, and all classes are designed to "kill each other equally" making them boring to an extreme. The classicThis game can't decide if it wants to be a PVP focused battle arena game, or a PVE/role-playing game. In order to make the PVP "balanced" between the classes, all the classes that D&D fans know and love have been reworked into some homogeneous soup. Class diversity has been scrapped, and all classes are designed to "kill each other equally" making them boring to an extreme. The classic D&D rules are gone, and now leveling up entails selecting a tiny increases to marginal stats and cooldowns (1% damage increase here, 1% cooldown reduction there). No more role playing. In the end, this is a very average MMO, that ignores everything that made D&D in general (and Neverwinter Nights specifically) great. Expand
  65. Mar 5, 2014
    Horrible P2Win. Full of grind and bots. Unbalanced classes.
    PWI don't offer any assistance or support to you, and you can't give negative feedback in their forums because they will delete your posts.
  66. Jul 3, 2013
    This game has last century DX9 graphics and a horrible P2W cash shop. Nevermind that the game is full of exploiters, hacks and the character customization is the worst in MMO history.
  67. Mar 29, 2014
    Imagine the Star Wars MMO RPG with Skyrim Graphics and Smite's combat interface.
    The game looked really promising in the tutorial, the combat was smooth, there was a very small learning curve and it built itself up to make you think it was going somewhere.
    After the tutorial, however, it shot itself in the foot. The world makes you feel claustrophobic, it's just a series of instances not dissimilar to the WoW dungeons, with no open world elements. The level scaling is poor, I spend the late 20s grinding off mobs to level up and unlock new quests, disrupting flow and reminding me how small the game is. There is a reason WoW has more players than most other MMORPGs despite costing money: it's open world. In WoW you could roam the fields of Durotar as a majestic man-cow. If you want a good story driven adventure to do with friends that involves levelling up and acquiring kit, buy Diablo. If you want a good MMO RPG, play WoW. This is a bad mash up of the two.
  68. Jan 29, 2014
    This game should be released 10 years ago, then maybe it could have been new and interesting. Now it just boring, with dump gameplay and outdated graphics.
  69. Dec 8, 2013
    I started playing the game because I had been a huge fan of the original Neverwinter Nights. I was disappointed to find the game lacking that 'atmosphere'. The gameplay itself was fine. A different style of combat than the standard MMO vanilla button pressing. Graphics were fine, scenery was good. The 'feel' was definitely harmed by the overwhelming presence of the game trying to getI started playing the game because I had been a huge fan of the original Neverwinter Nights. I was disappointed to find the game lacking that 'atmosphere'. The gameplay itself was fine. A different style of combat than the standard MMO vanilla button pressing. Graphics were fine, scenery was good. The 'feel' was definitely harmed by the overwhelming presence of the game trying to get you to spend money. As it is F2P I'd recommend anyone giving it a try. A well done game, just fell short for me in a few areas. Expand
  70. Dec 23, 2014
    It's not a DnD game. It's making use of DnD to create a f2p game. It could be as well about walking in a forest and picking mushrooms. Any time you want to do something, you feel you're f2p-ed. That is, you wan walk around, see the content, but to actually play you'll have to pay.
    It's not apparent during the levelling phase. In one week you'll enjoy many different realms with many different quests and stories. After one week you're lvl 60 (cap level). This is where the best thing to do is to leave. If you choose to stay, you'll face the ugly choice of paying for gear or keep your money but lose any hope of ever be on par with the environment. You're given basically free gear, but very very weak. To make it usable you'll have to farm 170 hours. Not a way of speaking, 170 actual hours. Foor one item. And you have ten items (not counting your pants and shirt), plus the items of your pet. Same goes for anything. Mounts, char stats. For this too you'll have to farm for thousands of hours, or to pay..
    Now for the game itself: it's terrible. It failed to avoid all the well-known issues that may exist in any MMORPG. Lag? Yes, tons of. Class balance? Nope. ChineseFarmerDotcom spammers? Flooding any chat. Raids? There is ONE. PvP maps? There are TWO. Unfixed bugs? The number of tickets by the players is approaching 3 millions. Following DnD? Not really. In this game the Cleric is a DPS, the Warlock is a healer, the Ranger is Melee. Go figure.
  71. Dec 29, 2014
    As a heavy MMORPG Gamer, I look for many aspects that the game provides. First off

Pro's: 1.) The game has a fantastic battle system. It has great features regarding the spells, and attacks of a player. 2.) It features a great range of items, and weapons that you can use in combat to help aid you through the game. Con's: 1.) Dungeon monsters are extremely repetitive. You run

Pro's:

Con's:

1.) Dungeon monsters are extremely repetitive. You run into the same monster 10+ times while in the dungeon. Making only about 5 monsters altogether in a 1 hour dungeon.
    2.) Quests are just plain out awful. Let's be honest. The way they are set up, the way the completely hold your hand, and provide an awful story; is beyond an embarrassment to MMO's
    3.) Class & Races. They are sort of thrown at you, they really make no sense. They don't explain what each class or what each "special" ability does.
    4.) The amount of EXP you get from a monster is RIDICULOUSLY LOW!!! I went through a level 20 dungeon at level 5, and when I came out. I only went up about 1 exp bar. THE DUNGEON LASTED AN HOUR! Maybe the reason for the low EXP was because I was such a low level. But if you get a low amount of XP for killing a monster way out of your level range. Then that's a done deal for me. I'll quit that game in a split second. It's an awful game overall. And needs to be re-done.
  72. Jun 28, 2013
    Leveling characters, gameplay and graphics provide quite a nice experience. Apart from that, the gameplay gets boring pretty fast. The Pay-to-win aspect of the game is pretty minimal. I got everything I needed for 4 level 60 characters without spending a single dime. My biggest complaint about the game is the lack of end game content and how actually easy it is to clear all content soLeveling characters, gameplay and graphics provide quite a nice experience. Apart from that, the gameplay gets boring pretty fast. The Pay-to-win aspect of the game is pretty minimal. I got everything I needed for 4 level 60 characters without spending a single dime. My biggest complaint about the game is the lack of end game content and how actually easy it is to clear all content so fast. Sure there will be expansions, but at the moment, the ever dull gameplay (although quite pleasing at first) and the unbalanced dungeon run rewards makes this title really good for a 1 week experience but not more. Expand
  73. Oct 14, 2013
    I wanted to love this game and stayed through the 2nd big expansion. BUT...
    bugs are late to be fixed,
    cap is way to fast (really, this is the opposite of a grind), no auto route was fine until they started adding dailies, dungeons all are same with different pixels maze insane adds at end, 'changes' to class abilities got old fast and devs dont seem concerned (as if they made the
    I wanted to love this game and stayed through the 2nd big expansion. BUT...
    bugs are late to be fixed,
    cap is way to fast (really, this is the opposite of a grind),
    'changes' to class abilities got old fast and devs dont seem concerned (as if they made the game for them and not the customer)
    Best gear ought to make your time in the mmo easier (not saying it should be easy)- but not here and if you go back to lower lvl to help someone it actually seems harder than your first time around,
    money grubbing... at these prices, I should have gone to Disneyland.
    They got me and what a waste. Just wish I could get the time and back to put into something that I can play for more than a few weeks.
  74. Oct 25, 2013
    This has to be the buggiest game known to man. The developers don't seem to care a hoot about making this game fun to play. Very poor design overall and the execution is terrible. Needs a new owner/management.
  75. Jun 21, 2013
    Apart from a combat system that actually feels different from WoW, ToR, and LotRO. The game sports an awesome feature that I don't think I've seen in another MMO. User created dungeons and quest add infinite options for everyone on stories and adventures in this game, and while it may lack on character customization i think the endless adventures are more important. They are ultimatelyApart from a combat system that actually feels different from WoW, ToR, and LotRO. The game sports an awesome feature that I don't think I've seen in another MMO. User created dungeons and quest add infinite options for everyone on stories and adventures in this game, and while it may lack on character customization i think the endless adventures are more important. They are ultimately what will keep people engaged in the game. Expand
  76. Jun 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. interesting game, destruction or given characters, where if you do not buy a currency for real, you're the last link in the entire game and most interesting Chop, PVP fights always razdelyayutsya that lyubogm case against enbya 3/5 donaterov and you have a party only Nuba in green Exodus. **** slag, do not play this wanker!!!!! Expand
  77. Jaz
    Jun 21, 2013
    This game could have great graphics (characters, animations, environment) if it was released 5-10 years ago. This game could have been a great MMO to explore but is so full of instances. This game could have been a good F2P if not for its greedy cash shop. This game could have been less of a letdown if it did not use the title of Neverwinter, one of the best CRPGs ever a long time agoThis game could have great graphics (characters, animations, environment) if it was released 5-10 years ago. This game could have been a great MMO to explore but is so full of instances. This game could have been a good F2P if not for its greedy cash shop. This game could have been less of a letdown if it did not use the title of Neverwinter, one of the best CRPGs ever a long time ago (never to come back i am afraid). PS Saving grace, The Foundry. Expand
  78. Jun 29, 2013
    This game is a pleasant surprise. I read the reviews here before downloading, and perhaps wasn't expecting much at all but I became en-wrapped in the game quickly. The combat system is fun compared to most MMOs. The graphics are somewhat dated as some reviews point out, but that didn't detract from the joy of playing for me. Joining a group was easy, player made content is reallyThis game is a pleasant surprise. I read the reviews here before downloading, and perhaps wasn't expecting much at all but I became en-wrapped in the game quickly. The combat system is fun compared to most MMOs. The graphics are somewhat dated as some reviews point out, but that didn't detract from the joy of playing for me. Joining a group was easy, player made content is really cool, and it is remarkably easy and engaging at the start rather than overwhelming or too simplified like some MMOs.

I haven't used the cash system to buy anything, but for a free to play game i find it really enjoyable.
  79. Jul 14, 2013
    I originally rated this game an 8. I levelled to 60 and got fully epic'd out in T1 gear. But now they obviously have more players than they are able to support and they are doing nothing to address it. The latency in game is virtually always between 1000 and 3000ms. Horribly imbalanced T2 dungeons are made even more ridiculous by how incredibly poorly this game is supported. If the gameI originally rated this game an 8. I levelled to 60 and got fully epic'd out in T1 gear. But now they obviously have more players than they are able to support and they are doing nothing to address it. The latency in game is virtually always between 1000 and 3000ms. Horribly imbalanced T2 dungeons are made even more ridiculous by how incredibly poorly this game is supported. If the game wasn't buggy, had stable servers and balanced content I would put the rating back to an 8. But there seems to be little to no chance that will happen. I recommend you avoid this game and try out some of the other wonderful MMOs in "beta" right now. I'm still giving it a 5 because it has the possibility of not sucking at some point. But I worry I'll be long gone by then. Expand
  80. Jun 26, 2013
    I give it a 1 to be friendly. Because this is the worst mmo i have ever experienced since 2003.
    Full of exploits hackers, bots. High priced zen shop you can buy end-game gear with cash directly from auction house by trading zen-diamonds. Most of classes are broken and become boring after a wile.
    Terrible optimized huge lag spikes everywhere. PVP is a arena of bots and exploits.
  81. Sep 3, 2013
    VERY GOOD WAN. Very FUN with friends but NOT with Adam because he cheats!! Very much Dungeons and Dragons but havent met a dragon yet so Im a bit upset. Where are dragons guys gimmie some help? ANYWAY very good wan very fun good game worth manny penny go figure LOLZ.
  82. Oct 27, 2014
    Seriously, is this game a joke. You show me someone who is older then 4 who would find this game enjoyable.

Another example of how the current holders of the Forgotten Realms license are ruining the license.
  83. Jun 20, 2013
    Albeit not having played a large portion of Neverwinter, I am really enjoying the game thus far. The gameplay is fluid and the graphics are excellent. The interface, a huge portion of what's important in an MMORPG is very nice and can be customised extensively as the user sees fit. Skill progressions are good and simple, the development of your character and polished UI makes it a veryAlbeit not having played a large portion of Neverwinter, I am really enjoying the game thus far. The gameplay is fluid and the graphics are excellent. The interface, a huge portion of what's important in an MMORPG is very nice and can be customised extensively as the user sees fit. Skill progressions are good and simple, the development of your character and polished UI makes it a very good MMO for somebody who's not used to the idea.
    The story line, if you can call it that, is not exactly enticing, I found it very easy to just play for the sake of playing, however the inclusion of a story editor is a very nice feature that opens up the game to the community. Dungeons, whilst relatively interesting, don't really stretch the boundaries of the genre and boss fights in quests aren't too difficult; soloing the quest dungeons is at minimum viable.
    PvP of course makes an appearance, but I cannot make any assumptions based on my inexperience. Fans of World of Warcraft might not be so praise-bearing, however the game is excellent for one that follows the F2P model. My verdict: download it and have a go. If it's not your cup of tea, it doesn't matter!
  84. Sep 25, 2014
    Enjoyable game, the dungeons are fun but are pretty easy. The PvP was fun until the 1000th time, and now I can't even continue because I'm tired of that PvP map. The best part of this mmo is probably the foundry where players can make their own quests which gives the player an infinite amount of quests to do.
  85. Jun 20, 2013
    Its really a poor game went into it loving it low time requirement to level seemed cool but the more i got into it the worse it became. its a 5.5 to me almost a 6.
    The zones are small and don't feel like a world. They are small and force you to travel along a path and due to quests being the only practical source of Xp theres no point in exploring. The novelty of mini dungeons wears off fast when it becomes so standard and predicable. Do a bread crumb quest kill dude in cave repeat 30 times till max lvl.
    Dont get me started on pvp, its not even really there its a poorly balanced arena forcing you to run in circles to hold points to win.
    I only continue to play this game due to my friends who have dumped money into and refuse to leave the sinking ship that is this game.
    you are better off avoiding this MMO and is not worth the time.
  86. Jul 11, 2013
    Never winter is a wonderful concept, with pleasant leveling and graphics. The combat is somewhat messy, and lacks any sort of direction. The biggest flaw with this game is the fact that is f2p, and carries the pay to win element to the extreme. This game would definitely be better off as a subscription based game.
  87. Dec 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. das spiel ist einfach nur geil kann es nur weiter empfehlen es macht viel spass und für alle deutschen und nicht deutschen online rollenspiel gamer es lohnt sich!!! Expand
  88. Jan 10, 2014
    This game's strong point is its combat. In my opinion it still can't beat the king of action MMOs (TERA)-- but in contrast to TERA, there's more than combat to it.
    Initially I hated the graphics (I was coming from TERA) but with time I got to like them. The quests and story are good as well, and the NPCs read the text aloud so that we lore-lovers can listen to it while doing other activities.

The one thing it set me back? CLASS BALANCE.
    BUT not as in "HEALERS OP OMG RAPORT NERFED PLOX". The balance between classes is good.
    But the patch changes rarely hit the spot. For example, let's take the new class, the Hunter Ranger.
    The Ranger's got a ranged and a melee stance. However the melee stance does negligible damage and the ranged stance does unbeliavabke amounts of damage. As a playee I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it just feels WRONG and asymmetrical to only use the ranged stance. I feel like a good mechanic goes to waste.

Same goes with the other classes as well: the buffs, nerfs and changes are usually totally unneeded changes, of they torally miss the point, making the meta swing wildly.
    And this is an MMO, where tweaking should be fine and subtle. Instead, the balancing team is more like a moneky with a sledgehammer. It's not a game breaker, but it is annoying, and to some players like me, such things matter a lot.
    In the end of the day I want to know that my class will change for the better and not for the worse, and tbh I don't get that feeling.
  89. Dec 26, 2014
    I really enjoyed playing through this! It's creative combat system is very compelling, meaning I was able to play it much longer without finding it repetitive. It plays a little like Dragon Age, and the way it works makes you feel as though you're playing a single player game with a multiplayer add-on. This is a definite choice for those MMO players who play solo, and it patches andI really enjoyed playing through this! It's creative combat system is very compelling, meaning I was able to play it much longer without finding it repetitive. It plays a little like Dragon Age, and the way it works makes you feel as though you're playing a single player game with a multiplayer add-on. This is a definite choice for those MMO players who play solo, and it patches and installs so easily and quickly (a welcome improvement from trying to download TERA). However, the region lock is a definite problem. Even though it wasn't a problem for me, it's still something to watch out for. Expand
  90. Aug 22, 2014
    Note: My ratings are based on a normalized curve scale

Note: My ratings are based on a normalized curve scale

Neverwinter is a very fun free to play MMO but more tailored for casual play rather than hardcore play. It is a fun game you can pick up and play for short bursts and feel productive. You level up much faster than games such as WoW. Combat is fast paced and requires paying attention to enemy attacks and movement. Staying in one place will get you killed. The limited number of skills you can use is similar to Guild Wars. When I played there was only 1 PvP type and only 2 maps but this likely changed with latest update. Like any MMO there are class balance issues but for the most part classes can be useful in PvP. Playing user created content/missions is very cool and offers daily rewards which is awesome. I recommend this if you are looking for a game to play for a short period but I do not think it would hold your attention for more than a few months.
  91. Sep 18, 2014
    Neverwinter has some fun points when you first start up and set out for "adventure". For a first run through there are plenty of ways for you to enjoy your time. The story is fairly simple and predictable as far as RPG stories go, but there is a fairly large player made foundry that adds in some variety.

I think where Neverwinter fails, like many posters, is in the end game. Some of the highlights include cash shop dominated PVP (the newest of the end game maps are pvp centered), Cash Shop Respec tokens that you will need after re -balancing of classes/skills), Repetitive Gameplay. The rest of the list I realize is more Cash shop venting and there is a reason for that. The game has become skewed towards clans, cash shop and the poor saps left over. If you have an active clan than you can manage to farm your way through the High Tier Dungeons and Get the T2, 2.5 and above armor and weapons you need to survive the end game PVP. Or you can buy your way past it all with Astral Diamonds. At end game there really isn't anything rewarding for you to do solo besides trying to rack up a body count in pvp, which in group open pvp just means you will get jumped by the largest group of enemies that can find you.
  92. Jun 20, 2013
    Stunning environments. The combat feels fantastic really well polished. Progression never gets stale or grindy. The game hud/calendar caters to varying play styles without aggressively competing for my time... For free. It really bridges the gap between a fast paced action game experience and an often overwhelming depth of a hardcore mmo.
  93. Jun 21, 2013
    The overall gameplay is pretty awesome, with lots of features and such, definitely a must-play for MMORPG lovers out there.
    I am playing and will continue to play this game with my friends for a very long time.
  94. Nov 13, 2014
    All the negative reviews are completely irrelevant since they were largely from Beta, and of course Beta has bugs (duh?).

Let's get one thing straight: I've played WoW for 8 years, GW2 for over a year, Tera for a few months, Rift briefly in the past month. Having said that I can tell you I KNOW when a game is complete crap, and when a game pays attention to the core experience and

Having said that I can tell you I KNOW when a game is complete crap, and when a game pays attention to the core experience and details.

Neverwinter uses the same combat system as Tera, but unlike Tera it is MILES ahead in terms of meticulous attention to details that really make it a FUN game to jump into at any time.

One thing that NW nails that other MMOs really fall flat: Questing. The questing in Neverwinter is fun, but it's more than that, they paid attention to details like the overall look&feel of accepting/turning in quests, quest log design, and most importantly VISUALIZE in real-time the current quest's path to the objectives. That last point is HUGE because after playing so many MMOs I can tell you that looking at quest logs and maps is ANNOYING and detracts from the experience. Neverwinter's real-time quest path lets me focus on PLAYING the game rather than reading quests and looking at maps; it's BRILLIANT and I LOVE it. No it does not make quests any easier, BUT it makes them less ANNOYING, and then you can just enjoy the scenery and destroying monsters, which is the optimal experience.

PvP is FAST PACED and brutally fun. I haven't had a chance to try it at Max level, but from what I have played it's bone crunchingly fun; it FEELS GOOD.

Dungeons are fairly diverse, and require some thought and coordination on your part, but still easy enough to enjoy for casual players.

PvP and Dungeon matchmaker system can be accessed from anywhere, so you can queue up to a dungeon or for PvP match, and it will teleport you there once enough players have been found via the automatic system.

Finally I'd like to mention a truly unique feature: Foundry.
    Foundry is a huge part of the game's growing content, as players can create their own dungeon-like experiences, and whatever quests they want with whatever story they feel like. It's exciting to see all the new Foundry creations, and they are rated and ranked, so you aren't lost browsing through the list.

Overall Neverwinter is an excellent MMO with great look&feel, especially for questing, that everyone should give a shot if they're looking for a free game to try out for a while. As far as end-game goes, I'll tell you from my personal experience that most MMOs don't have much solid end-game except for WoW, so if that's your thing, play WoW, otherwise just give these other games a shot and see how you like it. I've thoroughly enjoyed Neverwinter, and I'm sure you'll get a ton of hours out of it like I did.
  95. Jun 20, 2013
    the game is very fun. the game has great action in the combat. It fells like a true action rpg with mmo elements. The game looks great. It is fast to install.
  96. Aug 1, 2013
    I've been playing WoW for 7 years... then stopped... started this game up and all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! the combat is not only easier but more fun! keep in mind that this game is not a huge MMO like WoW, its more like a Diablo/WoW mix.... i have NO complaints
  97. Dec 11, 2013
    It's actually pretty good. Out of all the WoW clones I've played, this comes closest to recapturing the good ol' days. This is due to fun instance-based quests and well designed combat. Difficulty in solo PvE takes a while to ramp up, but does get there. However, dungeons are so easy they're a pointless chore, which is a shame.
  98. Jul 11, 2013
    Ok, I'll be honest: I was expecting this game to be worse. I was still very pissed at Bioware for shutting off the NWN servers with no reason at all. I'll give Neverwinter this: It's not bad. Not the best MMO in the market. I liked the way the developers allowed players to come up with their own quests and stories. It's a little neat addition. It's not a skillbar based MMO. I like that. IOk, I'll be honest: I was expecting this game to be worse. I was still very pissed at Bioware for shutting off the NWN servers with no reason at all. I'll give Neverwinter this: It's not bad. Not the best MMO in the market. I liked the way the developers allowed players to come up with their own quests and stories. It's a little neat addition. It's not a skillbar based MMO. I like that. I know some people prefer it. Expand
  99. Jul 9, 2013
    Don't listen to the bad user reviews. I started playing once it went live. Very rarely do I encounter a problem. You are able to customize your character (although I have seen better), but more than likely your going to look like everyone else, until you get unique items. Yes, it's free, but to speed up your gameplay, you'll have to pay for upgrades, but it's not required. I like thisDon't listen to the bad user reviews. I started playing once it went live. Very rarely do I encounter a problem. You are able to customize your character (although I have seen better), but more than likely your going to look like everyone else, until you get unique items. Yes, it's free, but to speed up your gameplay, you'll have to pay for upgrades, but it's not required. I like this option, because I can try out the game. If it's a good one, then I'm more than willing to pay for better items (bags, horses, slots, etc.). Need better graphics, then get the latest card and bump up your settings.

I love the D&D creatures and setting. I love the fast action. I love being able to create a dungeon for others. I love playing other user dungeons (endless content). If you want PvP, it has it, not required, but why not, it's a blast. End game content looks like a blast, looking forward to getting there, but for now, I'm just enjoying the ride.

I wish there was a way to search for groups/guild to join.
  100. Jun 21, 2013
    The action combat is great, and very different from most MMOs! Also love the unique take on crafting that Neverwinter offers. The Foundry, which lets players create their own missions and custom maps is also a great feature that really adds to the game.
  101. Nov 13, 2014

Finally I'd like to mention a truly unique feature: Foundry.

1. Oct 8, 2013
    As a D&D and Neverwinter Nights fan, I wanted to see what an MMO version offered, and I came away feeling that it accomplished its goals, if only for a month or so. It's like a single-player sandbox dungeon; when I reached what felt to be the proverbial end, it was time to move on.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    Neverwinter is a disappointing MMO. There isn’t a lot of freedom for players to roam and it doesn’t re-imagine itself in the open world genre. For a free-to-play game it offers too little.
  3. Sep 6, 2013
    Neverwinter is one of the best free-to-play games this year, with its fluid combat, extensive amount of quests, and Foundry tool in which players can create their own adventures. Most importantly, premium points and items don't affect the game for those who choose to adventure on the free route. Role-playing fans owe themselves an extended journey to the world of Neverwinter.