6.6

1. Aug 12, 2012
    This is an excellent game for PC that plays native on Linux and windows both. It reminds me some of Unreal Tournament of years past but the sound and graphics are much better, and the characters move much more like real figures. I think the weapons are also better and the AI's are for sure much better.
    They did a lot of work into this game. It is an arena shooter, but that is what it
    was designed to be so I certainly can't fault it for that. I do have praise for the graphics, the sound, the AI's, and the fact that the developers took the time to port it over to Linux. Also, I have been involved in the IT computer industry since 1983 when we used PC-DOS or MS-DOS and the internet hadn't evolved yet, and I sure don't think this game should be bashed just for being an arena shooter. I do not work for or receive any compensation
    from the developers of this game.
  2. May 11, 2012
    Absolutely stunning FPS! Reminds me of the UT99 and Q3 Arena days. Brilliant, twitch game-play, and incredible graphics. For $10, it is one of the best deals out there right now. If you enjoy twitch shooters, this one is not to be missed!
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    Seriously guys? Are you kidding me? Downrating the game because you can't run it on max settings. Downrating the game because it is SIMILAR to Quake. Downrating the game because it USED to have server issues? Righto, let's get started on my opinion on this game. It's great. It isn't just QUAKE. Sure there might be ELEMENTS taken from quake (e.g. The small maps, the twitch shooting...) But does that mean that it is a clone of the critically acclaimed Quake III? The answer is NO. People do not REALISE that the CORE mechanics of the game a perfectly implemented. They FAIL to notice that the game is solid and instead blame their bad experience on multiplayer server issues and failure to "max out" the game. The gunplay is great. The game feels solid and it never gets boring. The Dynamic Mutators introduce a completely new concept to the arena and I can't count the times that I have laughed with my friends when we get our controls inverted, or we all teleport off the map.

The map design is also very well done, with some maps being small and easy to learn and with others being slightly larger but also very easy to adapt to.

I think this game is an example of just light hearted FPS fun. You're in Nexuiz, a 4v4 twitch shooter where you blow everything the f*** up and have fun while doing so.
  4. Jul 19, 2012
    I loved the game. Fast paced action, create your own levels with steam workshop and host your own servers (ideal for those wanting to play with friends only, casually, instead of joining servers where you compete with 24/7 players with no life, who beat the ... out of you in 2 secs).
    Definitely old school shooter. At USD$2,5.- at Steam, is simply awesome bang for the buck. ($7,48 four
    pack)
    Not sure if the DLC (USD$1,25 is needed for hosting your server, I bought them together.
    Even at the regular 10 bucks is a good buy.
  5. Aug 10, 2012
    At first I wasn't sure it it was gonna be good but it was a free week or whatever on steam so I checked it out. When I first got in it remined me a lot of halo and didn't have most of the mechanics that modern shooters have. This is a good thing. The gun play is extremely good. There are only 9 weapons but each one is very distinctly different. Also, only 2 modes but it doesn't matter, this game is simply about shooting eachother and thats why its fun. Also the most imteresting part is the dynamic mutators which will change how the game works. These can rage from being invisible to obtaining all weapons to dieing in 1 shot and being given the nex sniper railgun. This is definitely worth the buy if your computer can handle it, since it doesn't seems optimized at all. On minimum saettings it still was laggy even though this runs the same way a game like tf2 would. No destructible environments, no continuously changing textures, only 8 people and on minimum settings and IT STILL LAGGED! This game has been out for 2 years they need to optimize it! I can't find anything about this game that a game like tf2, which has absolutely no lag, doesn't have, yet mine can't handle it on minimum settings. I would say buy this, but make sure that your computer can run it. Expand
  6. May 14, 2012
    Ver nice fast shooter (twitch shooter). Like Quake 3 Arena /quake live, Unreal Tournament.
    For the new ones: like halo on steroids but better.
    Weapons: Lots of creative and special ones

Price: 10 â
  7. May 24, 2012
    Fast paced, fun, action-packed gameplay is what you can expect from Nexuiz, the only problem being the player base - or lack of it (although this is likely to be fixed soonish).

This game - as you may well already know - is an attempt to revive the old school FPS genre. It takes the core gameplay from games like Quake/Unreal Tournament and puts it in a super good-looking, vastly improved
    box, using dynamic mutators to get rid of any monotonous, grindy gameplay which some people thought was present in Quake due to a lack of progression.

As I said at the beginning, it does have the problem that it has a relatively small player base. The reason I say that this is likely to be fixed is that the developers intend to do some sort of marketing campaign (such as a free weekend) but wanted to wait until they had added a few more things to the game like dedicated severs (which they do now have) in order to ensure it's as successful as possible.

Overall, I would recommend this game to any and every old school arena FPS fan out there as an incredibly viable, cheap new alternative to games like Quake. I would also recommend this game to anyone who has never tried an arena FPS as things like strength allow newer players to have some feeling of success whilst learning the game, whilst hardcore veterans can utilise some of the more exotic mechanics of the mutators to devastating effect. I would not however, recommend this game to people who have tried and disliked arena FPS in the past as it is likely that not enough has changed to make you enjoy it.

P.S. I haven't had any issues with the games optimisation. I run it on a mid range PC and have had no issues. I can however see there being trouble for lower end computers.
  8. May 11, 2012
    Being a veteran of the original Open Source game (Nexuiz Classic) I was hesitant to buy Nexuiz. I thought to myself, "How can anyone play a fast paced arena shooter like Nexuiz on CryEngine 3?" but then I bought it, and then I played it.

Nexuiz is fast paced, fun and addicting. Dedicated servers and mod support is missing which is the only problems I could find. The developers have told
    me they are working on releasing dedicated server support very soon, following that is mod support. Other things to like about the game are its mutator rotation gameplay. Jumping around when suddenly you're colorblind, or you have a jetpack, or you're randomly swapped with other player positions. It adds to the experience and disorients even the best of players. The music is pretty solid as well. All of this together gets a lovely 8/10. Once they provide dedicated server support, I'll gladly raise that to 9/10. Expand
  9. Mar 3, 2013
    I don't get the hate. its not a 100 million dollar budget game. Its a fun, fast, arena shooter that is well, fun.
    The "unbalanced" weapons are just based on how easy it is to find them. A rapid fire RPG is better than a cheap shotgun, and you should be able to wield a better weapon if you found it yourself, right?
  10. Aug 14, 2012
    Nexuiz is a game that breaks the mold of today's repetitive FPS games that are currently on the market. At first, as with most games that are re-makes, I was skeptical. But, after realizing that it was only $2.50 during a Steam Sale, I gave it a shot, and was presently surprised by the high-quality modern day graphics (which is EXACTLY what I expect when playing a game on CryEngine 3), the interesting art style, and the fast paced game that is Nexuiz. It also plays very much like Quake or Unreal Tournament 3, which is unsurprising, considering the nature of the original Nexuiz. It gives you plenty of weapons at your disposal, and adds a gameplay element known as "Dynamic Mutators", which either gives you a special ability, such as a jet pack, a weapon upgrade, or even a ball of lightning that surrounds your character and kills anything it touches, however, that is not the limit of the power this pickup can give you. However, Nexuiz does ship with a storyline, but however it is generic and not very interesting. In terms of graphics, you're going to need a decent machine to run this game, but even if you pull off running it on a lower-end computer, you need not to worry, because the game is still visually pleasing on its lowest settings. I can't really say anything bad about this game, besides that it is heavily multiplayer reliant, and that is an issue. With lag, a lack of dedicated servers, and crappy (for lack of a better term) singleplayer bot AI, this game could die very quickly if the community were to lose interest. Now, let's look at the game overall: Pros: Breaks the repetitive mold of today's crowded FPS market by bringing back arena combat; Stunning graphics;

Pleasing art style;

Fun gameplay mechanics; A host of great weapons; Low price;

Cons: Multiplayer reliant; Bland storyline;
  11. Oct 6, 2012
    Hmm Unreal Tournament on the Cry Engine 3, promises to be interesting. And seriously, it is, I was not expecting anything great, just stupid and boring copy of UT but this game despite the fact that it actually terribly like UT, has a really interesting new solutions that could be done in the new UT. It looks great, and not just by the CryEngine, but the authors presented the same shell game and luminous color that looks surprisingly and are attracted to the game. The game plays really nicely, even as the UT. Here is a cool new special "skills". Depends on the server as they are set. It's interesting when every few minutes to change the "skills" everything is on the server that draw their particular skill and gives it to the team (or player), and suddenly the whole team gets as double speed or eg bazook, or ... black and white view , so it is hard to aim and do not see anything. So are directed to useful skills and no. This provides many hours of fun, because .. the "mutators" is more than UT and they are really interesting. The game is still on a copy of UT, but really good. My rating -7/10 Expand
  12. Aug 10, 2012
    This is the absolute best I could give this game. It lacks a variety of game types as there is only two. One is the normal free for all and the second is sniper. What this game also lacks is balance. At the beginning I was place with beginners and it was fairly balanced. When my k/d raised to 4.0 because of noobs I was placed with pros. My k/d dropped back to 1.0 or lower. Then i was placed with players more my rank. The cycle continues and its very frustrating when you go 23 and 5 one game and 3 and 20 another. Otherwise it's fast paced and awesome.(If you're in the right skill group, no one likes going -15) Collapse
  13. Jul 20, 2012
    A really cool arcade game with a good taste on music and graphics, mostly for veteran player who enjoy quake and Unreal tournament series,

(by arcade I made reference to UnrealTorunament and quake)
  14. Nov 20, 2012
    Fun game killed by bugs an unbalanced weapons. You have to restart steam just to re-run the game again after it closes. After you complete a match the game would freeze by not moving onto the next match.

Guns and weapons are a little unbalanced, but its not too bad.

Overall decent arena fighting game with decent graphics.
  15. Aug 14, 2012
    Bought this game for 2 pounds and to be fair it ain't a bad game, i agree with cambria though it is very poorly optimized even on my FX 8X with 8GB ram and Radeon HD 6570 1gb i have to run it at lower settings to get it to run at a high frame rate. Even on a really high end PC this game would not be a game you would want to use to show off your machine. I hope they spend more time optimizing the engine as it's the main thing that let's the game down. In terms of gameplay i must say i like it ! Plays very similar to UT fast and fun, and has a great level editor ! And for 2 quid !? can't complain ! Expand
  16. Nov 25, 2012
    I'm going to make this review as fast as the gameplay in Nexuiz: Fast-paced, addicting gameplay, amazing graphics, small player-base. Since the player-base can't be helped, the concept gets a 7/10.
  17. Jun 21, 2013
    A good attempt at trying to give us all a nostalgia fest with fast paced, map domination old school arena FPS... but the two game modes deathmatch and capture the flag -along with some average maps and lackluster guns, don't really leave this game to be as great as I wanted it to be.
    The dynamic mutators add the best bit of fun, but also make the game quite silly, so kills of the
    competitive crowd there. And the stock and done-before game modes help to kill the fun crowd, after a few hours.
    I'd recommend you to download the Linux Nexuiz's sequel which this is based off of, Xonotic. That's much more loveable.
  18. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2) (If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (1/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is better than the visuals, review this section as if the visuals didn’t matter)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (0)

19. May 13, 2012
    Poorly optimized but a good dive into an arena shooter based on CryEngine3. Doesn't even run very well on max settings with 16gb ram, i7 processor and two 2gb ddr3 video cards. That being said it does a decent job of recapturing that old school unreal tournament/quake feel, I am really hoping this game keeps getting better (many updates on pre-release beta but they were required to play really) because its fanbase is pretty small, but for the price if the community gives the seal of approval this could be a great arena to squash petty beef between friends:) Expand
  20. Feb 3, 2014
    while this game is very fun with it's fast paced action the graphics are not that good. The game is pretty similar to quake. The game also did not have too much variety and most of the games ended too fast.
  21. Aug 13, 2012
    Well, I had really high hopes for this game. I had a itch for quake III on CryEngine 3. And the game is everything i want it to be, but the multiplayer is entirely broken. I could not join matches through steam at all, and had trouble connecting to lobbies that were 7/8 full because the game registered them as full. A promising game shot to hell by the **** multiplayer.
  22. Aug 17, 2012
    Nexuiz is an competent fast paced shooter with a quite good soundtrack. Though Nexuiz is pretty to look at it doesn't really do a whole lot to set it self apart from other games. The weapons and game modes are pretty standard and the mutate system feels more like a gimmick than anything game changing. This isn't necessary a bad thing if you are looking for an old school fps. What is a bad thing however is that there isn't a whole lot of people playing this game at present. Making it quite a bother finding matches with a reasonable ping. And because of its present state i can hardly recommend it if you aren't interested in playing against bots. Expand
  23. Aug 31, 2012
    The game is unbalanced due to useless weapons. The default gun is worthless. My buddy literally shot someone in the back of the head 11 times to kill him with it (talking 5-10 feet distance).

I think if the guns were more tweaked the game would have a chance. Other than that forget it.

Graphics are good no doubt but graphics don't make a game successful.
  24. Feb 5, 2014
    It WAS a great game. But it doesn't work at all, so what's the point of it? You can't even buy it on Steam anymore, Illfonic took it down. It was really fun when I got it with my graphics card. But it's unplayable.
  25. Aug 11, 2012
    A boring remake of UT that adds nothing but graphics that are terribly coded and cause bad fps (really Illfonic? in a fps game?)

The people who give a positive score for this game obviously started using a computer yesterday or belong to nexuiz. .
  26. Aug 9, 2012
    Nope. Unless you're running a $10,000 rig, I would be content playing UT3 any day. This type of game used to be very popular "back in the day". The graphics engine to me is not nearly as fine tuned as the Unreal engine. I believe a lot of developers are apt to write games nowadays to try and entertain the "hardware industry". This shouldn't be the case, since consumers are the most important aspect of the gaming field. If you don't support your gamers, then you usually won't sell your product. And quite frankly most gamers don't have the thousands of dollars to invest into a gaming rig, per se. Usually they will go for a more inexpensive gaming "console". This game fits that genre of "been there, and done that". I don't see it setting any new standards for players. Expand
  27. Dec 26, 2013
    Nexuiz is a very bad game why? Because the devs are arrogant,racist,rude and into bestialities, the game had potential in the beta then started going downhill unlike the old Nexuiz, they over killed this one using the Cryengine this game was not optimized well for PC's. They also pulled support form numerous consoles in the end to just focus on PC only. They should have made this game self published due to THQ going under the game is now unplayable many people can't play it and are dissatisfied with Illfonic. Furthermore, with Illfonic trolling people asking for the game to be made non steam they are only digging their self's deeper devs that don't respect their consumers get nothing from me or WBGS this game was an instinct buy hoping it will stand up to Classic Nexuiz. We were all wrong just a cheap imitation of Quake 3/UT04. Also the community bashed WBGS modding attempts to edit weapons to make game play more fun lame game lame community this game was a troll feast. Expand
  28. Aug 10, 2012

1. Jul 30, 2012
    If you want to make an arena FPS, you can't do anything wrong. That's the lesson IllFonic learned after the release of Nexuiz on Steam. The game suffered from some huge problems in terms of matchmaking, lag and crashes since day one, and now it's very hard to even find a match.
  2. Jun 28, 2012
    Is it worth it to release a Quake 3 clone in 2012? I don't know. In fact, Nexuiz is doomed not because it lacks fresh ideas, but because it lacks people who want to play it.
  3. Jun 25, 2012
    Like Gotham City Imposters a few months ago, the component parts of Nexuiz are sound; the weapons and shooting good, and the "hook" of the mutators offers some variety but there just isn't the player base to make it worth checking out unless gunning down bots isn't a deal breaker. And it should be reported that unlike Gotham City Imposters, getting connected and staying connected to a match of Nexuiz was never a problem.