Nidhogg PC

6.7

1. Jan 17, 2014
    Nidhogg is a small game developed by an indie developer Messhof. While the game isn’t the longest one I have ever played, it is definitely THE best local multiplayer game I have played in a long time. You can literally spend countless hours playing the local multiplayer against your friends.

In Nidhogg there is only one objective , kill your opponent by out-stabbing them by using only three sets of stances, high, middle and low. Maneuvers such as, rolling, dive-kicking, neck-snapping and sword-throwing are also at your disposal. While it may sound simple at first, the game is really hard to master, and sometimes it gets a little bit frustrating when you get stabbed couple times in a row.

After you kill your enemy you have to run to the right in order to advance to next level, the enemy can do the same thing, if you get killed, he can run to the opposite direction, this will get you back to the previous screen, and this gets really annoying because sometimes the enemy instead of fighting you, will just run past you just to get you back to the previous screen. Each ‘level’ is divided into couple smaller ones. In single player, there is a total of 17 AI opponents, the first one being the easiest and the last one, the toughest(I don’t know if that’s true but when I’ve played it, the game got harder every time with each AI opponent). At the end of each level your character is eaten by a giant dragon-like creature, by the name of Nidhogg, you can’t avoid it though(trust me, I’ve tried), I don’t know what’s the point of that but It’s kind of hilarious and random.

The art style is what I love the most about this game, it has that surreal look to it, kind of like Hotline Miami. The player animations are also worth mentioning because of how smooth and realistic they are, and also it feels really satisfying when you stab someone.

On the other hand, the game also has some flaws, one of them is the online multiplayer, it is seriously lacking in features and is very unstable, I kept being disconnected from matches, and I have experienced serious lag during several online matches. You can’t even properly communicate with your opponent because the chat can’t handle longer messages.

As I have said before, the single-player consists of 17 AI opponents, which is great but the same can’t be said about the level variety, there is only 3 or 4 different levels which are re-used during the 17 battles in the single-player. I really wish that there was more variety in level design, maybe we’ll get them in later updates.

Nonetheless, If you enjoy playing games with your friends then this game is for you but If you don’t like the local multiplayer I would still recommend sure the game isn’t very long, but the multiplayer is still there, it might be a bit lackluster but who knows maybe the devs will add some new features to the online multiplayer.
  2. Jan 27, 2014
    Good potential fun that's ruined by a lack of content and horrible lag outside of local play. It's pointless playing such a game if you're going to be even 1 frame behind your opponent.

Out of the pitiful 4 maps, only one of them is even remotely worth playing. The other maps are short and have annoying gimmicks while the Clouds map gives your eyes aids. And while the concept and general play is pretty fun and competitive, additively so, so much more could have been accomplished with things like interactive environments and additional movements.

And while the reviewer seems to think there is no set strategy for success and that play is pretty equal, two things come across as questionable: the first being the jump attack which is far too overpowered, making the disadvantage of having no sword completely nulled. I'd like to say it's easy to counter, but it really isn't unless your general play consists of nothing but assuming the player will use it. Second, the fencing mechanic seems inconsistent. A lot of the time it just seems to be pure randomness as to who parries and whose lunge hits first. Like someone said, a game of rock paper scissors, except you have no idea which one you've employed.

The controls are a bit annoying too. Oftentime it's difficult to remember and utilise which of the three positions your sword is in when running, and when both throwing your sword and rolling is set to up and down on the controls respectively, you will often find yourself doing the wrong movement half the time.

Also, I can't help but disregard both the price and time to make this. It's nearly double the price of your average indie game, and has literally zero working content outside local play on the Castle map.
  3. Jan 19, 2014
    Nidhogg's gameplay is what makes it bareable. The solid but clunky controls work well for what the game is trying to do, but the inconsistent netcode and the lack of a community makes Nidhogg (so far) a local multiplayer game with a sub-par singleplayer distraction.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    Ignore the dated looking graphics as Nidhogg has some of the most fluid, and deep, fighting mechanics you'll find in any game. Online matches can suffer from a bit of lag but played sat with a friend matches can become true epics and very few people will not have fun playing it.

The only aspect that really holds the game back is the lack of options. Single player involves nothing more than fighting computer controlled enemies one after the other (and is virtually a complete waste of time) which basically means the only worthwhile mode is the offline 1 vs. 1 matches. As a result Nidhogg is a game I'll likely only return to now and then.
  5. Mar 10, 2014
    the mechanics are very fun and addictive. you will tire of it eventually, but it's good value for money while it lasts. the graphics are unique, but may prove slightly headache-inducing for some.
  6. Jan 7, 2015
    Pretty fun, very derpy, and just all round nonsensical. Very short I must admit, but multiplayer offers a great deal of fun from time to time, a fun game to play with mates if you have nothing else to do.

7/10 - Ben Hazelden
  7. Jun 15, 2015
    Nidhogg is excellent for anybody who wants a cool, innovative, and challenging side-scrolling strategy game. There is a solid single-player campaign that is relatively challenging, and the multi-player is fun as well. As you progress, your character doesn't get more skilled, you as the player does, which is really what sparked me to play this game.
    For the people out there that do not
    For the people out there that do not like this game because it only really has a multi-player- This game is really inexpensive. You can't expect too much from it. I bought it from the steam sale this summer, and it turned out to be worth the $1.49 that it was. I obviously wouldn't have bought it if it was above $5. If you can snag it for less than $2, it is totally worth it.

1. Dec 25, 2014
    We do not know a lot of fighting games that are so heavy on exciting sword battles like Nidhogg. The mechanics are very easy to learn, but yet hard to master and the colorful simplistic style fits the game perfectly.
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Apr 7, 2014
    The art of swordplay meets the art of dynamic gameplay. An offer for two that shines mostly through local multiplayer. [Issue #239]
  3. Games Master UK
    Mar 10, 2014
    A peculiar, thrilling and essential addition to your PC games collection. Best played with friends/enemies. [Apr 2014, p.76]