8.4

1. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What is new ? Not even holy water? The control is bad. The graphis PS one. Only first person view . Can you use a mantra or pencil to defend yourself? Only run and run an jump . I prefer used my cel and film my old house! Expand
  2. Oct 24, 2013
    Pros:
    - Horrific atmosphere, intense music.
    - Gory - Great level design, realistic graphics - Epic ending - Takes about three days to finish Good because the game is repetitive as is. - A few surprises but not enough - Camera's nightmode adds extra horror - One of the scariest games out there Cons: - Same enemy repeated tens of times - Not so scary ghosts - Repeating
    Pros:
    - Horrific atmosphere, intense music.
    - Gory
    - Great level design, realistic graphics
    - Epic ending
    - Takes about three days to finish Good because the game is repetitive as is.
    - A few surprises but not enough
    - Camera's nightmode adds extra horror
    - One of the scariest games out there

Cons:
    - Same enemy repeated tens of times
    - Not so scary ghosts
    - Repeating patterns: Find a key, jump in a vent, walk a ledge, run from a monster
    - Somewhat cliché story
    - A lot of lost potential
  3. Oct 29, 2013
    Haven't played a horror game in a long time. Graphics 8/10, Sound 7/10, Atmosphere 8/10, Gameplay 8/10, Story 5/10.
    Of course there were moments like: "Why the hell can't i go out of here through that window or jump across the fence."
  4. Dec 9, 2013
    This is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only aThis is one of my favorite horror games so far. Philosophically, they did a great job of making the user feel like they were never completely helpless, a pit that Amnesia seemed to fall into very often. Visually, the best. The appearance and atmosphere were perfect given the story and setting. There were occasions when the enemies were shown in the light for too long but this is only a minor issue. The ending... it worked for me but there were certainly parts of the story lost within the series of notes. I'll be looking forward to the next release by red barrels. Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2015
    If you don't feel shivers, anxiety and stress while playing this you have something wrong with you.. Beautifully paced, great scares and fantastic voice acting. Far superior to the other "big budget" horror games out there.
  6. Oct 5, 2013
    I'm starting to get the feeling that this is the new trend in horror games. Take every weapon away from the player and let them attempt to guide their character through dark linear buildings with just the faintest suggestion that violence may ensue. Games like Amnesia have not necessarily set the new "mold" for this genre, rather games like, Condemned: Criminal Origins, have shown usI'm starting to get the feeling that this is the new trend in horror games. Take every weapon away from the player and let them attempt to guide their character through dark linear buildings with just the faintest suggestion that violence may ensue. Games like Amnesia have not necessarily set the new "mold" for this genre, rather games like, Condemned: Criminal Origins, have shown us that we can still be terrified by conflict centered around some unsettling environments and settings. Sure, Castle Brennenburg was a grisly and unnerving place, but the scares are predictable, the enemies can be entirely avoided as well. In 2013's "Outlast," we are aided by a video camera that runs on two auspicious batteries that pop up all over the place to allow the player to utilize a night vision screen filter. The problem here is, it isn't unsettling or terrifying not being able to see in the dark. Its tedious. Yes it was tedious in Amnesia and its tedious here as well. In Condemned you couldn't avoid combat, often times you were shoved into it to get further through each area, which was a good way of connecting with a player: "You could constantly be in danger." In Amnesia its, "Hide here till the spooky spooks walk away and then proceed down the dark corridor." Which makes Outlast look even worse as it clearly complies with this logic. There are many reasons why Outlast "phones home" when it comes to its intentions, but its still a very well crafted game. It may even turn the genre around, but lets hope they don't all start building games around player-characters that are unable to combat anything around them. Waiting for some twisted in-mate to wander off from me in Outlast was about as boring as Amnesia's predictable grab-item triggered spooks and I hope someone sees that this is not necessarily the way to go in the first person horror domain. Condemned remains as the one the finest moments in that genre and remains to this day as having the most visceral combat system ever- coupled with real scares that were deeply unsettling. Expand
  7. Sep 26, 2014
    Outlast is nightmare fuel in the tradition of Hellraiser or Silent Hill. The player alternates between sneaking past adversaries and panicked escape. Many jump-shock-horror moments.
  8. Feb 5, 2014
    The game is the most scariest games I have ever played!! The atmosphere is amazing, graphics are very good. If you like scary games, you must play this!
  9. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a great horror game. The visuals were impressive and the music fit perfectly to create its eerie style. Unfortunately I was thrown out of the games atmosphere a little too often while playing, even though I always played in a dark room with headphones. Not really anything big, but little things like unmotivated act transitions. An example of this would be when you accomplish a goal in a room and turn around, all the doors in that room would be magically shut and locked and a previously closed vent would be open. Not all the transitions in the game are so lazily realized, but when they happened it threw me out of the atmosphere. Another common problem I found was I felt like my character almost wanted to stay trapped even though he was trying to escape. In particular I remember at one point I had to shimmy across open windows outside only a few stories high. I'm pretty sure any sane person would jump out of an open window in such an environment. The game play itself does start to get repetitive toward the end, but the game is relatively short so it doesn't ever get boring. Still, this game does a great job overall and will surely be a hit for many players who love horror games, including this reviewer. Expand
  10. Sep 15, 2013
    The horror video game genre is a classic category that is at its peak by delivering a range of games that can throw in some gore or jump scares.
    Unfortunately, Outlast was no unique exception:
    While the game offers the similar suspense of walking through a ruined city at twilight with the distant snarl of a canine, it was short to offer depth and originality. Yes, I am happy to admit I
    Unfortunately, Outlast was no unique exception:
    Yes, I am happy to admit I didn’t go five minutes without being scared or freaked out whilst playing, but I was hoping it would deliver that emotion in a different way to the typical expectation thus this made the jump scares predictable and less intimidating. The story was something different, albeit unfinished and hinting towards a sequel but the atmosphere of an asylum has grown far above cliché for the horror genre not to mention yet another device the protagonist can use to see in the dark.
    If you like a game that scares you, this is a perfect choice, but if you want the next generation of horror video games, you’ll have to wait.
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    WOW! Just WOW! That game is the scariest I've ever played in almost 30 years of gaming history! Exceptionally well done, ambience is top notch, controls are responsive and tension is extreme! Very graphic though; it might not be for all tastes. If you enjoyed this great movie "Grave Encounters", this game is definitely for you.
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    I got really big horror exp., that didn't have before. Really good realization of story and gameplay. Outlast has bugs, that don't allow me to make my mark 10/10. So, 9/10.
  13. Jan 2, 2014
    Outlast is a polished experience. It's a great scare and it does what its job quite nice. It's just that it's job is not quite stretched for a full fledged game. It's a rollercoaster in a lunatic asylum. It has good visuals, great sound (and music) and some pretty basic stealth gameplay. That's it. The story is a mess (there isn't one), as it doesn't develop at all and beside the "hide inOutlast is a polished experience. It's a great scare and it does what its job quite nice. It's just that it's job is not quite stretched for a full fledged game. It's a rollercoaster in a lunatic asylum. It has good visuals, great sound (and music) and some pretty basic stealth gameplay. That's it. The story is a mess (there isn't one), as it doesn't develop at all and beside the "hide in the corner, wait for him to turn his back, now go" there is no gameplay at all. It reminds a bit of Mirror's Edge without the cool moves or level design. It lasts about five hours and at about 2 hours in you will see the limitations of the enemies, so the fear effect won't affect you any more.

It's great for some good scares, it has some great baddies and it creates pure tension, but it's hollow. You'll do the "collect 3 stuff" or "flip 2 switches" 5 or 6 times and that's the game. I must say I was hyped for this game but utlimately I can't help but feel disappointed. I expected at least a better story development and some puzzles. There are none. Nevertheless, it's got a ton of jumpscares and it's great if you want to use it for that. I disliked the battery searching, it didn't feel "survival genre" at all. It felt survival when I was being chased.

At least the checkpoints are good and the polish level is unexpected for this type of (indie) game. The night vision effect looks suberb and everything looks and sounds as it should.

It is scary, it has atmosphere, but it doesn't qualify as a full game. It just feels hollow.
  14. Dec 7, 2014
    Not as scary as I had hoped, but everything else surpassed my expectations! Aside from the occasional glitch or hiccup, Outlast is a horror masterpiece. It sets the gore bar higher than any other game I've seen. Graphics are sweet and optimization is great. It would've been nicer to have an easy option to disable the film grain effect that is present at all times. I use a mod that disablesNot as scary as I had hoped, but everything else surpassed my expectations! Aside from the occasional glitch or hiccup, Outlast is a horror masterpiece. It sets the gore bar higher than any other game I've seen. Graphics are sweet and optimization is great. It would've been nicer to have an easy option to disable the film grain effect that is present at all times. I use a mod that disables it and I must say it looks much nicer without the effect. It's sad to see that some people think its potential is wasted. I enjoyed it a lot, as well as Amnesia: The Dark Descent and Slender: The Arrival. The reason I said it wasn't as scary is because hiding from the crazies is too easy. They never thoroughly check lockers or under beds. I feel like there should've been a more challenging hiding system that affects the outcome. Anyone remember the hiding system in Manhunt 2 on Wii? Outlast should've adopted something similar, perhaps like keeping the mouse in line with something while some crazy a-hole is looking directly at you in pitch black areas. It never hurts to build on the stealth. Oh well. Great game either way. Expand
  15. Sep 10, 2013
    Amazing Game. beautiful Graphics, really nice sounds effects, great storyline. Outlast is one of the greatests Survivor Horror game in this generation, little problems with artificial intelligence of enemies. But definitely this game must be played
  16. Dec 25, 2013
    This is such a great game, but I have two problems. Firstly, I found the variety of missions very boring as I found myself finding for example: 3 fuses for a fuse box COUNTLESS times and it annoyed me. Secondly, I just found the platforming horrible. On a good note, this is a beautiful game and had me on the edge of my seat throughout. Definitely worth the price of admission.
  17. Sep 13, 2013
    INTENSE. this is the best word to describe outlast. Yes it's pretty scary but not as much as its intense. The grim creepy asylum is unsettling and the sound design keeps your nerves on edge. When you are getting chased you want to run! Run like hell because this game will immerse you. Best played with headphones in the dark for the best experience. I haven't played a game this nervesINTENSE. this is the best word to describe outlast. Yes it's pretty scary but not as much as its intense. The grim creepy asylum is unsettling and the sound design keeps your nerves on edge. When you are getting chased you want to run! Run like hell because this game will immerse you. Best played with headphones in the dark for the best experience. I haven't played a game this nerves racking since the school in fear 2! The graphics are good and the enemies look creepy enough. The game can be hard at times forcing you to make quick decisions such as the aforementioned running and hiding from lunatics. The ai is good for the most part able to chase you down if you're not quick enough and they can and will pull you out of your hiding spot. The game is pretty scary with some nice jump scares here and there but it could have been way scarier. As I said the sound design and environment is fantastic and really helps the scare factor. Overall I recommend this game if you are a fan of horror games or liked to be scared because this game is indeed scary at times and being chased in this horrorifying asylum will definitely get your blood pumping. 8.7/10 Expand
  18. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit, it might not be every gamer's cup of tea, but Outlast is a very fun and terrifying game, if that's your thing. Especially if you want a more retro, classic experience, with the updated looks of a current generation game. It gets a check in each box.

Concept: Taking a few cues from classic horror titles, as well as from movies such as Rec. and V.H.S, Outlast proves to be a terrifying and adrenaline inducing experience on the whole.

Graphics: The environments, while very similar in most parts, all look pretty good, and match with the mood. The characters, however, are pretty much all hairless, buffed up miscreants and murderers. But that's alright, because you're probably going to be too busy running anyway, rather than engrossed in the "beautiful" animations of an inmate ripping your guts out of your throat.

Sound: There isn't a score so much as there is a chaotic blend of high pitched whining, low moaning, distant- and close screams, terrible grating noises, thunderous crashes, and meaty chomping and slicing or flesh. It's horrifically engrossing, but if you're playing at night, I'd recommend going with the volume off. It's scary enough without it.

Playability: There aren't really any controls to complain about, seeing as how there are essentially only three anyway- pulling up and putting away your camcorder, running or walking (mostly running), and occasionally hopping low barriers with monsters in pursuit.

Entertainment: I hope you like atmospheric scarefests, because you've just paid for one if you purchased this game. Oh, your friend told you it was a platforming game for kids? How mistaken you were in trusting him...

Replay Value: Moderate.

Overall Score: 8.5
  19. Jan 6, 2014
    Outlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It'sOutlast is arguably the best horror game ever! It will scare the crap out of you from beginning to end. The stealth gameplay gives the player a spine-chilling experience and the jump scares are well executed. Also, the atmosphere of Mount Massive Asylum makes you feel that the place is alive and terrifying. But unfortunately, the game's plot is a big letdown especially the ending. It's confusing and it left me unsatisfied. On the bright side, Red Barrels proved that the survival horror genre is still alive. Outlast is must play game for huge horror fans but not for the faint of heart. Expand
  20. Sep 11, 2013
    This was probably one of the best horror games I've played in a while. The game makes a very good first impression, creating a scary atmosphere when you first enter the asylum. You play as a news reporter, who got a fax telling you about illegal activities occurring in an Asylum in the mountains and that you need to expose it to public media. Being the brave journalist you are, you decideThis was probably one of the best horror games I've played in a while. The game makes a very good first impression, creating a scary atmosphere when you first enter the asylum. You play as a news reporter, who got a fax telling you about illegal activities occurring in an Asylum in the mountains and that you need to expose it to public media. Being the brave journalist you are, you decide to investigate.

Gameplay is pretty good, there are some survival elements in the game. You basically have a camcorder with you which you use to record everything thats happening within the asylum. In dark areas you have to use the night vision in order to see, which drains your battery rapidly thus you have to often scavenge around for spare batteries in order to see in the dark.

What I really liked about this game is the 1st person experience it offers. It has 1st person full body awareness which is amazing! Whenever you open a door or pick up an object, an animation will occur! When you lean on a wall or peak, you will place your hand on the wall. The little things in this game!

This game had a few good jump scares, where it caused me to move my mouse around rapidly because of the scare. The game has a very scary atmosphere as well, you don't know whats going to happen in the next minute and there were a few times that i paused the game and quit because of how scared the game has made me.

The game does unfortunately get a little repetitive at the end. Instead of enjoying it you end up just wanting to finish the game and get it over with. What saved this game from being completely boring is the well told story. In the game you have to find certain documents that will explain to you what experiments occurred here and the subjects they had and what the results were. The ending was a bit bland, leaving a lot of loose ends for me, but it wasn't too bad.

Overall this game is excellent, it does what a horror game should do. Highly recommended
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    Finally a good horror game. This game comes with a lot of good executed scares. The graphics and atmosphere is amazing. I did find the game a little repetetive at times and the game was a little short, but other than that it's an awesome title.
  22. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome, scary and refreshing game. Finally a great horror game worth playing again. Hopefully the developers continue the franchise to bring out even better/scarier sequels or prequels.

Red Barrel Games, you guys are awesome! Keep up the good work and continue making terrifying games. :-) PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I

PS. The next installment could be a little more original/inspiring. That's the only critique I can find for Outlast.
  23. Jan 3, 2014
    Outlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing andOutlast will be remembered as the scariest game of the generation, that redefines the horror genre that was desperately in need of a tune up. Never have I been so scared in a game before, horror fans are in for a treat. I love the gaming mechanics, graphics, music and jump scares that truly make your heart stop pumping. The most fun is found here when skyping and friend while playing and pissing yourself at there reactions. Definitely worth your time and money, what another excellent indie game of 2013. Expand
  24. Jan 28, 2015
    I honestly do not have a bad thing to say about this game. Horror is by far my favorite of the video game genres but they are very rarely done correctly, or in the same manner rarely are they scary. This game had me scared, I literally jumped up out of my chair at one point. The game mechanics are simple but that is the beauty of this game because the fact that you have very little controlI honestly do not have a bad thing to say about this game. Horror is by far my favorite of the video game genres but they are very rarely done correctly, or in the same manner rarely are they scary. This game had me scared, I literally jumped up out of my chair at one point. The game mechanics are simple but that is the beauty of this game because the fact that you have very little control is what makes it so scary. It is also absolutely gorgeous. The details in the texture is phenomenal and the camera is a great touch. It really makes the mood ominous. I was engaged the entire time.

I read that some believe there is no story but I disagree whole heartedly. The story is there but you have to discern it from the context of the level as well as documents you pick up along the way. Usually document driven stories suck! I hate reading a million pages of boring crap that is some back story forced down our throats. But they did it just right, not too much reading as to take away from the game but just enough to get you curious as to what is really going on in the asylum.

I lied a little bit because I do have one negative. There are times when the "search for something" puzzle gets a bit repetitive. You run away from the same creatures in the same way then hide to wait for their patrol path to reset. But honestly the game itself is so engaging that it didn't really bother me. I give it a perfect 10.
  25. Oct 24, 2013
    This is perhaps the most frightening and horror experience I lived in a game. The graphics are very realistic, almost photorealistic, full of gore and images which mark and which remain imprinted on the brain after a long period out of the game.
    The sound is great and contributes enormously to create frightening atmosphere.
    I can not describe in words how grotesque are some sets, and
    The sound is great and contributes enormously to create frightening atmosphere.
    I can not describe in words how grotesque are some sets, and times when you're being chased by a guy definitely will raise the pulse of any normal person alarming.
    This game is a must for any horror enthusiast who thinks he has seen everything in this genre
  26. Dec 13, 2013
    Simply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to theSimply the most frightening game I've ever played. It presents a shockingly well polished game for a budget title price, and has become my favorite surprise hit of 2013. Outlast masters both the art of pop out scares and a slow burn tense atmosphere, made much more compelling by music that reacts to the situation and dozens of small touches like seeing your hands as you clutch to the edge of a corridor to peek around the next hallway or the heavy ragged breathing of the player's character exerted from fleeing for his life but desperately trying to keep quiet in his hiding place to escape the horrors chasing him. Also effective in building the tension is that the player's only way to see in the dark is through the night vision of the camera... which gives the world a very limited distance green/black view and also will quickly drain the batteries. You force yourself to creep through darkness and use up every bit of electricity from each set of batteries even though your vision is failing just to save those precious batteries for when you can't make it without them. As the song by Radiohead goes "You do it to yourself, you do, and that's what really hurts (or in this case, scares!)"

It's not a long game, the designers seem to know better than to wear out their welcome and at 8 hours of play time I feel I've more than gotten my money's worth for a lifetime memorable experience. Thankfully I'm old and moved out because I'd owe my mother's "swear jar" a sock full of nickles for the outbursts I've had while fleeing in this game. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys a good scary story.
  27. Sep 15, 2013
    After finishing Outlast i can safely say that Outlast is the scariest game i have ever played. Outlast nails everything in every way, the scares, the story, the atmosphere and the gameplay. The scares are even scarier with the perfectly done camera, you'll need this little friend for more than half of all the time in this game. The nightvision mode on the camera your flashlight isAfter finishing Outlast i can safely say that Outlast is the scariest game i have ever played. Outlast nails everything in every way, the scares, the story, the atmosphere and the gameplay. The scares are even scarier with the perfectly done camera, you'll need this little friend for more than half of all the time in this game. The nightvision mode on the camera your flashlight is matching with the perfectly done atmosphere. Sometimes i didn't want to play further, just because i was so scared. You will have a lot of moment where you think your hunter is a mile away, but is actually right around the corner. I never had any trouble with batteries. When i was almost out of batteries i would find 2 or 3 of them a few seconds later. If i had to compare Outlast with A machine for pigs, i would say: "If you are interested in a beautiful story, with limited gameplay and medium scares, play A machine for pigs. If you want to play the scariest game i have every played, with a normal stoy and good gameplay, play Outlast." Expand
  28. Sep 15, 2013
    Inlast place starts out as one of the best horror games in years. The first half of the game is filled with heart-pounding terror, hiding from maniacs who want to kill you (or worse!) and you can't fight back. The story isn't exactly new and creative, but it serves the game well.

The second half of the game is significantly worse in terms of gameplay, but still reasonably scary. After the third or fourth "avoid 2 enemies and interact with 2 objects" puzzle, you start to groan when you see "You need 3 fuses." By this point, you run away from enemies in long chase scenes at least as often as you hide from them. The chase parts are mostly good a couple seemed to be more like "hit a dead end, die, hit a dead end, die, then you know where to go." It didn't live up to the first half, but it was still very good, and still had me hooked.
  29. Sep 24, 2013
    First of all, i must say this game is a must buy to all horror game fans... reason for my 8... even though my review might seem i think less of it, i insist on my 8 for there is no other game on this category at this level.

I wont linger on how awesome the game is, but instead i shall leave my 8 and must buy comment as it is. However, i must talk about all bad aspects of the game, aspects that may not turn it into a bad game, but that will definetly not grant it a 10 or even a 7 if there were many other horror games.

First of all, i love the fact that unlike another great horror game, this one has no puzzles... all i gota do is pass by enemies... with that said, i must say that i am disapointed with the fact that after a while you realize thats pretty much it... i can actually go a bit further and say that not only thats pretty much it (running from enemies) but you can and WILL figure mechanics quite fast... rendering the game "scaryless" or atleast turning it way less scary.

On the same bridge, i must say that most spooks are pretty much cliches and expected... they use them over and over so much that after a while, you just pass by some dudes like, "oh hello there"... which is actually funny since they did not use some cliche scares that i expected but did not receive... For example, even though they made this interesting movement animation delay in order to create that interesting "horror movie slow camera" thing, they wasted opportunities such as the ladder climbing scare (that you see in a famous action/shooting/fear game) they also wasted some ventilation crawling spooks which i couldnt believe.

In general, you kinda get most of the mechanics pretty early. For example the fact that most "puzzles" (situations where you gota pass by enemies to reach destinations) are rectangles, so you either move from left to right/right to left or top to bottom/bottom top. regular spooks get silly and overly used... even though like i said they decided to leave out some interesting cliche scares.

In my humble opinion, i think horror games should use difficulty to their advantage and to players interest. For example, increasing difficulty could decrease door bashing time, increase enemies movement speed, decrease my vision, increase enemies perception, decrease battery handouts or atleast increase their consumption, etc. that way players such as myself that saw the game getting less and less scary, could just increase difficulty to raise tension level.

Following my difficulty suggestion, i must say that i find door bashing quite illogical. It seems right that you place these destructible walls and whatnot to give players a chance... BUT i do think redbarrel copied another game idea without realizing that enemies are different and that in outlast... enemies are humans with hands... yea sure 1 or 2 should have to bash but not all enemies... what happened to their hands? some even hold weapons lol... cant they hold handles? the fact that all enemies bash doors make this game easily beatable... as soon as i figured that out and the fact that most "puzzles" had bathrooms, i started luring enemies to the bathroom or room, closing myself inside the locker or whatever was inside, waited for them to open then close the room's door... thats it. that would allow me to get on with the objective... specially since there would be 1-3 doors for me to close after that... lol... atleast make enemies bash doors fast if they have to do it one after the other...
  30. Sep 13, 2013
    I personally thought this game was pretty good! for their first game it was great i hope to see more horror games from red barrles, they should have added custom stories.
  31. Sep 17, 2013
    oldukça iyi bir korku oyunu. son yıllarda oynadıklarımın en iyisi diyebilirim rahatça. her dakikası ürpermenize sebep olsada başından kalkamayacaksınız...
  32. Sep 22, 2013
    Not bad, red barrels, not bad. This is certainly not a Slender Man, but certainly this game gets on my nerves. Anxious, uncomfortable, tense. Narrow corridors and permanent darkness cause claustrophobia. If the game was longer, she might have time to get bored small monotony, but its average duration is it a plus. Fans of horror recommended.
  33. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great example of a genuine horror game. The developers really understand that atmosphere and vulnerability make a game scary, not just more monsters. Outlast is one of the better horror games to come out in recent times. It's only major failings are in the over-use of horror tropes and predictability. I also feel that there was a missed opportunity with the final boss. The Walrider could have played a much more integral part of the story. Messing with the environment and causing havoc over the course of the entire game. As it stands now all this "super powered" being ever really did was chase you around the last level like any normal enemy. But really the experience as a whole is well crafted. Expand
  34. Sep 30, 2013
    Finally, a horror game in a long while what actually scares me.
    Gameplay was a little too simple, but it was enough with the constant moving,but it's a shame that the levels were too linear.
    Quite interesting story too, with some well-placed task changes, but the ending was brutally ruined the atmosphere.
  35. Oct 8, 2013
    Long have I yearned for a game with almost perfect graphics since the days of Manhunt...and now I have been given OUTLAST AT LAST! The Best graphics this year, and though the storyline is pointless it still manages to be a decent game
  36. Nov 9, 2013
    A game that will terrify you to begin with (to the point I screamed aloud), however you do get used to it but the story keeps you interested right until the end, (I didn't like the ending but wont spoil it for you). Overall a good game worth playing.
  37. Sep 29, 2014
    A very enjoyable but short experience. I would recommend this game to people who like horror games, but it could definitely use a few improvements.

For me, the 'terror' and fear of taking a single step only lasted for about 30 minutes. I wish it had lasted longer. The enemies become a little too predictable and avoidable. After 30 minutes, it felt more like a stealth game than a horror game.

The story is predictable as well, and having multiple difficulties seems silly because there's no replay value to a 4-hour game based solely on story. I have no desire to play through it again. However, I never expected a thrilling story or replay value, so these things are fine for me. I wanted terror, but the intensity that replaces the terror was still pretty nice. You do not mess around with enemies, so running away becomes a very intense experience (except for a few stupid loopy areas where it seems more like dancing than running away).

Overall, I really enjoyed this game. It still left me hungry for a longer horror game, though. The environment and enemies are wonderful, and worming your way through the asylum is a lot of fun. However, at one point, while dangling from a ledge outside a window, I was overwhelmed thinking, "There's a drain pipe right there that would take me to the ground. Why can't I just climb down it and run away?"
  38. Nov 9, 2013
    I dont know if the game was worth the money but it was deffinately worth my time. Outlast is quite short like most survival horror games. The graphics are amazing. The story is decent and the gameplay is also great. if this game was as long as amnesia it would be almost as good as amnesia. Definitely better than a machine for pigs though.
  39. Nov 10, 2013
    First things first, this game looks freakin amazing. It is dripping with atmosphere. The soundwork is also stelar, but unfortunaly those are the only things that are constant throughout the game. The game starts out really strong, but the final third of the game is quite disapointing and not very scary. The game starts using more jumpscares and less tension the more you advance through theFirst things first, this game looks freakin amazing. It is dripping with atmosphere. The soundwork is also stelar, but unfortunaly those are the only things that are constant throughout the game. The game starts out really strong, but the final third of the game is quite disapointing and not very scary. The game starts using more jumpscares and less tension the more you advance through the narrative. In the end, I still think it is a good experience. Expand
  40. Nov 6, 2013
    Outlast is a game with good potential that was marred by some poor design choices. The environment is good, and the general idea of hiding is well executed. Yet for a game that clocks in at around 5 hours, it manages to be repetitive in it's design. I understand there's only so much you can do with the concept, but the game literally becomes go here, turn 3 valves, flip 3 breakers, etc.Outlast is a game with good potential that was marred by some poor design choices. The environment is good, and the general idea of hiding is well executed. Yet for a game that clocks in at around 5 hours, it manages to be repetitive in it's design. I understand there's only so much you can do with the concept, but the game literally becomes go here, turn 3 valves, flip 3 breakers, etc. While you hide from a guy who shows up to investigate each time you do it. This repetition removes any sense of fear that could be had, as if you know the person is always coming you cannot possibly be scared by them. A more minor complaint I would have would be the ending, which to put it bluntly, sucked hardcore. Outlast has a ton of potential and some great ideas, but they weren't executed as well as they could be. Overall, the game is probably overrated. It looks great and it plays well, but at the end of the day it's just repetitive and frankly the worst thing of all: It's just not scary. Expand
  41. Nov 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Driving up to this asylum let my heart beat so hard at the beginning. As you find your way into the building the atmosphere is numbing and overwhelming. This feeling won't change for the beginning and as you encounter your first inmates and dark corners and hallways somewhere you reach the apex of horror and fright as your protagonist breathes deeply and slowly in fear. This feeling is being projected on the player and you can feel the anguish of your guy going through hell.
    Unfortunately there is a plateau in atmosphere where nothing new happens You encounter the same type of enemy over and over again (that is why I only gave 8/10) until... you reach the evil and mangled doctor. At this point the game takes a turn and forces a new fear onto the player. But is this the End? Who knows? :D
  42. Jan 4, 2014
    Outlast is definitely scary. Those who have completed it will know that at some point in the game they have hidden in terror in one of the lockers as the Asylum Patients hunt you down. It relies more on jump-scares than Amnesia did, but like Amnesia it builds up a tense atmosphere with terrifying enemies and voice acting. If you liked Amnesia, try Outlast for a just-as scary experience.
  43. Nov 9, 2013
    This game is... excellent! It's a horror based on crazy people which is a good idea and the Asylum is well done. Very good graphics, I like them most, also the story is exciting, but sometimes it's really, really scary and intense. I hope you will make some more games like this one in the future!
  44. Dec 3, 2013
    I am not experienced with horror games and in all honesty this is only the second horror game I've played myself, with the other being Amnesia.

One of the things that eventually frustrated me about Amnesia was that I felt like the core gameplay ended up being stuck in a big dark area with an objective or puzzle to solve which you must do while avoiding the monster(s) patrolling the area. Considering this game's gameplay is literally identical to Amnesia (with the exception of no sanity meter) this game falls down the same hole. Way, way too often does this scenario happen to where you have to wait in a locker or crouch in some dark corner and eventually die enough times to memorize the AI pattern and sprint your way to where you're going. It got to the point where whenever I thought of playing Outlast, I thought of waiting, and I'm sure that's not what any game developer wants their player to think.

But don't get me wrong, on the "horror" side of things this game has some very scary moments. I was by far most scared during the first 30 minutes or so of the game, I thought the introduction to the asylum was done quite masterfully and during that first section, simply looking down one of the long, empty hallways filled me with dread. To me, everything started to kind of go downhill once the very cliche "Blackout Basement Breaker Run" kicked in. This game is loaded with cliches and it really hurts the experience of the game.

Plotwise, the game starts out promising when you have no idea what's really going on, but as the game winds along it just falls apart culminating in a spectacularly awful ending. In the character department, there's really nothing remarkable here except for one specific character met about halfway through the game who despite only existing in the plot for about a maximum of 20 minutes is actually one of my favorite new characters of 2013. Otherwise all of the few actual recurring characters in this game (which is limited to you, the token religious crazy and the big guy stalking you the whole game) are remarkably dull of any kind of life with the exception of the protagonist's horrible mental dialogue that takes place in the form of notes he writes. He writes sarcastically about the asylum's environment and its characters, while in the midst of his life or death situation and as a result his personality comes across as detached from what the hell is going on around him and just kind of jerk-like. Aside from that one thing I don't have any problems with the character, and I liked his realistic breathing and I especially loved his full body awareness.

But nevertheless I still think this game is recommendable, but that may just be due to my lack of experience or knowledge of the horror genre. It's a fine, short adventure with a well done atmosphere and some very doom-impending moments of walking in a massive pitch-dark sewer or a creepy, dead hallway where you have no idea what is around the infinite numbers of blind corners. Just expect things to get tedious.
  45. Nov 22, 2013
    Great game, it was really scary. The music, the camera thing, it's a really good game. The only think that i didn't like was the final of the history :c

Good game Btw
  46. Nov 16, 2013
    The scariest game that ive ever played. Red Barrel, good job man. Hope to see more titles by you guys especially on consoles to. Will always have Outlast on my shelves til i day right next to doom, resident evil, and silent hill. 10 out of 10 all the way. Real horror reminds me of Chainsaw massacre or jeepers creepers.
  47. Oct 21, 2014
    Fantastic start, good visuals, pretty intense atmosphere, horror elements, twice I almost jumped out of my skin in shock, but then it slowly turns into a bad horror cliche fest and it gets boring quite quickly, most of the atmosphere is gone and all that is left is running in dark corridors, trying to not get killed by some monsters, it's hectic and tedious. It's also very linear whichFantastic start, good visuals, pretty intense atmosphere, horror elements, twice I almost jumped out of my skin in shock, but then it slowly turns into a bad horror cliche fest and it gets boring quite quickly, most of the atmosphere is gone and all that is left is running in dark corridors, trying to not get killed by some monsters, it's hectic and tedious. It's also very linear which doesn't help either and navigation can be pain sometimes. I was about to give this an average score, but without spoiling anything, the ending is really really good and improves the final impression at least 2 points up. 7/10 Expand
  48. Dec 2, 2013
    Play this game with the lights off and with headphones, it makes the experience a whole lot better.
    This game is great! Very tense and will make you jump an awful lot.
    This game is great! Very tense and will make you jump an awful lot.
    The only thing I would say that honestly takes away from this experience is what feels like fetch quests. (Sneak through area while collecting 3 items or 3 switches or 3 generators ect. to continue.) Those parts made the game drag on and on. Really the game could have done the gimmick once and it would have been fine, but you'll notice the pattern repeat after a while (it only happens a few times though thankfully, but enough to notice).
    On the very positive side, it is a very fresh take on the survival horror genre, and it will have you changing your pants a few times a session. Creepy atmosphere, awesome stealth mechanics and the few chase scenes are where the game really shines. Overall I would give the game this rating due to the great atmosphere they pulled off. It would have been a near perfect score if they only added some more variety in the objectives.

TLDR: If you liked the first amnesia but wanted more action this is for you. For those who want to be scared out of their minds.
  49. Dec 31, 2013
    Très bon petit jeu, bien flippant et très bien fait.
    La DA et l'effet avec la camèra donne vraiment bien l'écran, on est impressioner par certaines scène qui nous glace le sang, un très très bon survival
  50. Jan 2, 2014
    Excellent game, very well made. Beat it in a little under seven hours, very enjoyable! I don't play a particularly large amount of horror games, but Outlast seemed like a fun game that would help me extend my comfort zones. I am extremely glad I decided to play it; it had excellent gameplay mechanics and decent storytelling. I'm going to do my best to review it without adding spoilers.Excellent game, very well made. Beat it in a little under seven hours, very enjoyable! I don't play a particularly large amount of horror games, but Outlast seemed like a fun game that would help me extend my comfort zones. I am extremely glad I decided to play it; it had excellent gameplay mechanics and decent storytelling. I'm going to do my best to review it without adding spoilers.

In a nutshell (I expand on these points in the wall of text below:)
    -Very good scares, excellent chases where you are running for your life with lots of variety in how you do so and why, does sometimes feel repetitive but only a FRACTION of the time.
    -Horrific environment and story, well made and does it job of disgusting you and pulling you into the game
    -EXCELLENT atmosphere. This had to be my favorite aspect of the game. The level of details in the game combined with the story and gameplay mechanics all added up to create a game that REALLY pulls you in.
    -Great mechanics and controls. Another favorite aspect of this game. Watch trailer 2 to get an idea for the full range of motion your character has as he flees for his life.
    -Last level is very reminiscent of F.E.A.R.
    -Ending was, in my opinion, not what I was hoping for. Probably the game's only big weakness.
    -Story was hit or miss; you need to explore and find the spread out documents to get a good idea of the story.

The scares were pretty decent; some good jumpscares here and there, though the main scares came from enemies chasing you through the asylum, as the game ads showed. The chases themselves were definitely scary and got your heartbeat pumping, however, some of it's power was lost after playing the game for a few hours and experiencing the same formula several times. Push the 3 generator switches without the giant bloodied enemy catching you. Turn the 2 pipe valves without the demented doctor cutting you up. While this sort of thing was only PART of the chases in Outlast, it did result in the scares losing SOME of their effectiveness. Overall though, I do believe the makers did an excellent job mixing up who was chasing you (with unique, developed enemies might I add), where you were being chased, and how you escaped. I think there was a huge variety in the ways you were chased and scared, aside from the one recurring formula I mentioned.
    If I had to compare the scares, I would say they were similar to F.E.A.R., in that the majority of your fear came from not knowing when you'd find another enemy, and going through a very creepy, well-made environment.

I'd also like to touch on the horror aspects of the game. There is an extensive amount of blood and gore, though I never found it to be over the top or distracting, and there is literally nothing that the game's creators won't subject you to. From making you watch as your fingers get cut off, to ending a near-death chase by falling onto a pile of guts and bodies, to stumbling across a mutated patient jerking it in the corner of his cell, there is an impressive amount of effort and thought in the horror and environment in the game. It's a good variety of horrors that will keep you disgusted and afraid. This in turn contributes a good amount to the atmosphere.

The game's atmosphere is fantastic; this, tied with the gameplay and chase mechanics, had to be my favorite aspect of Outlast. The game's creators really put a great deal of effort into breaking the fourth wall. There are many details that the player can appreciate, from the bloody footprints your character leaves after stepping in guts and gore, to the cracks on your camera lens after you drop it, to the well made game controls and mechanics (which get their own section in this review). In addition, the music and sounds are very well made and appropriately used. Your character has fearful breathing and sobs that realistic rather than gimmicky. This game did an excellent job of pulling the player into the demented and bloody world of Mount Massive Asylum.

The gameplay mechanics are another favorite aspect of Outlast. The makers created controls and mechanics that are very detailed and realistic, but are still practical and used in the game. An example is the ability to turn your head behind you as you run for your life. In addition, the range of basic motions are present and well made. Your character can run, vault, climb, shimmy across a ledge, jump, and hide from enemies, and it's all made so smoothly you really do feel like you're in the game. If you really want to get an idea for the range of motion your character is capable of, the full official trailer is actually very accurate. Pretty much everything in the trailer's chase (2:45 to the end) is do-able in the actual game, down to getting pulled out of cover by your chaser if you weren't fast enough!

For me, the game's only weakpoint had to be the ending. The last level reminded me greatly of the last level of F.E.A.R & felt weak. I'll leave it at that to avoid spoilers
  51. Jan 3, 2014
    Very good survival horror game. The only negative things I have to say are smaller nitpicks. One, the game wouldn't be scary at all if your character had a 9mm, or even a small pocket knife.Two, the game after about the third encounter with a Variant (The psychopathic inmates) the entire hiding mechanic and button-pushing and valve-opening thing became very trivial and not very scary. ThisVery good survival horror game. The only negative things I have to say are smaller nitpicks. One, the game wouldn't be scary at all if your character had a 9mm, or even a small pocket knife.Two, the game after about the third encounter with a Variant (The psychopathic inmates) the entire hiding mechanic and button-pushing and valve-opening thing became very trivial and not very scary. This can probably be remedied with playing with the lights completely off, alone, with headphones on turned up very loud. Three, the ending was piss poor and was in no way an adequate resolution to an otherwise very good game. All together a very good game. Expand
  52. Jan 3, 2014
    Really good horror game..it can scare the s**t of you
    The only cons are the outdated engine (Unreal 3 engine and that the game is really short gameplay
  53. Jan 22, 2014
    I was terrified. I personally was afraid of cancer than Echinacea deongeot can not believe that was like a great indie game and graphics! I was one of the best-gamer living in Korea.
  54. Mar 9, 2014
    absolutely amazing. why? sahneler gerçekçi, korkulu saniyeler yaşatıyor, hikaye gerçekten oturmuş konu sizi sarıyor sarmalıyor. hem ne olacağını merak ediyor hem de nerden ne çıkacak diye titriyorsunuz. ha bir de oyunun sonu güzel olmuş, alışılmış değil sonunda bile mest etti.
  55. Apr 17, 2014
    Outlast es un juego muy bueno. Desde el principio te sumerge a una atmósfera de terror. Junto con la música va creando un ambiente de horror que te lleva a concentrarte exclusivamente en el juego. Una vez hecho esto comienzan los sustos y espantos. Todo esto hace que en todo el juego estes alerta y atento. Simplemente genial. El principio, el desarrollo, el final. Digna de una obra maestra.
  56. Oct 19, 2014
    Possibly the scariest game I ever played in my life! The objectives can be a bit difficult, as you can be pursued by demons, ghosts, and other things.
  57. Feb 8, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one game that doesn't shy away from breaking the idea of what most people these days think that a "horror" game should be, that's for sure. This isn't like Call of Duty or modern Resident Evil, with all the gun-blazing, balls to the wall action. No, in Outlast, you must use your wits to survive. You can't fight back, so your only chance of escaping those monsters is to run and hide. Think of this as a modern era version of Amnesia: The Dark Descent.

So here's the story. You play as Miles Upshur, a journalist. Miles receives a folder of reports based on experiments at Mount Massive Asylum, a psychiatric hospital in the mountains of Lake County, Colorado. Apparently an abandoned home for the mentally ill, it has been re-opened by Murkoff Corp. When Miles sneaks into the building, he's already shocked by the corpses of the staff. He also finds a dying SWAT officer who warns him to get out while he still can. But Miles decides to investigate further. He finds the patients, known as "Variants", who start going after him. There's especially a hulking sadist who grabs Miles and throws him off the edge of the 2nd floor. As Miles lies there, barely conscious, he meets a cult leader who goes by the name of Martin Archimbaud. This crazy coot tells Miles that he was sent by "God" to witness all the crazy **** that goes on there. So now, Miles is trapped, and he needs to find his way out of the asylum, all the while evading many Variants, including that big sack of **** that tried to kill Miles earlier, and two other cannibalistic maniacs.

One thing I didn't like about Amnesia, is that when you die, the enemy doesn't respawn from your last checkpoint. So if you want, you could just let the enemy catch up to you and cut you up. Then you could try again without the sense of horror that the bastard is still there. That doesn't happen here. In Outlast, enemies will respawn no matter how many times you die. I like that, it makes the game more challenging.

Some of the other features are that you have a camcorder that has a night vision function. Obviously, you're gonna be using this in places that are otherwise too dark. Your camera will use up battery power, but only when you're using night vision. Also, when you hold up your camera at certain parts of the game, notes related to that event will be written. You can also hide in lockers, sorta like hiding in closets and cabinets in Amnesia. Except that this time, instead of holding down the button to open the door, a single press of a button will get you in the locker at the snap of your fingers. That's another welcome upgrade. But what's more, is that you can also hide underneath most of the beds as well.

So if I think that this game is so awesome, why am I only giving it a 5/10? Mostly, it's because the ending sucks. I'm sorry, it just does. Apparently, there's this ghost that everybody calls The Walrider. (This is the God that Martin worships.) Miles is suppose to shut off a life support system to be rid of The Walrider. But upon shutting it down, Miles becomes possessed by the ghost. He staggers to the exit, but a security team shows up and shoots Miles to death, releasing the ghost so that it could wreak havoc some more. The end.

Still, this isn't such a bad game. If you've grown tired of Amnesia: The Dark Descent, and you're not looking into buying the other "horror" games that look more like Call of Duty DLC rejects, I'd say pick this up.
  58. Oct 22, 2014
    Don't let anybody tell you Outlast isn't scary. They are lying to you. This is literally the scariest AAA game on the market. Stunning visuals and decent gameplay doesn't hurt the cause either.
  59. Nov 6, 2014
    This is one of my favourite games off all times atm, I love this game, this game is scary, intense and brilliant. I love the story line, the gore from everything around you, to ripping peoples heads off and bursting them from their insides ... OMG!

I have one problem with this game ... Where is the second Outlast :D !!! Now there is something actual wrong with this game and it is the

I have one problem with this game ... Where is the second Outlast :D !!!

Now there is something actual wrong with this game and it is the hiding from everyone you don't have to go into lockers, you can move around them and also you can just run through the whole game! It has been done I have done it, it is just to easy to get hit once your health goes back up and you start running off again and the same thing happens again! But part from this... Brilliant!
  60. Feb 12, 2015
    Not anything so unusual for a horror game with scary monsters, or should i say, decapitated human beings in the game, and jump scares. The game failed to create the horror atmosphere as it should be, but with some nice graphics, Outlast will keep you on the edge of your seats for some moments.
  61. Mar 17, 2015
    Good scares but unrealistic game mechanics makes it frustrating.

1) You play as a reporter who doesn't knows how to PUSH so pretty every encounter with hostiles, u run like a rat and when u are trapped by the 3D physics, you are just dead 2) The scares from the tension is excellent and should be the type that is appropriate to this. Jump scares ARE NOT HORROR. Shocking people with
    Good scares but unrealistic game mechanics makes it frustrating.

2) The scares from the tension is excellent and should be the type that is appropriate to this. Jump scares ARE NOT HORROR. Shocking people with jump scares makes it really cheap especially after mid game when hostiles no longer scare u because storyline becomes banal.

3) Your missions are meant to direct a storyline, NOT to make your game increase MEANINGLESS playtime.
  62. Apr 11, 2015
    Wow! Never had that feeling since when I first played and finished Dead Space! Do not try to think of Outlast as a game, but rather as a roller coaster ride that will take you up and down, through light and darkness, and into fire and water... Sure some things may have been better (like seeing your own reflection through the mirror or being able to chunk a piece of 'that guy' yourself) butWow! Never had that feeling since when I first played and finished Dead Space! Do not try to think of Outlast as a game, but rather as a roller coaster ride that will take you up and down, through light and darkness, and into fire and water... Sure some things may have been better (like seeing your own reflection through the mirror or being able to chunk a piece of 'that guy' yourself) but still, the game catches you from the beginning and makes you come back for more. It's adrenalin and we know we like it :) Expand

1. Feb 21, 2014
    A game that is not as innovative as you would hope. It is very old school. Nevertheless, this is a real horror-game and we can guarantee that you will freak out. It may be old school, but it is still a very good game that will blow you away.
  2. Dec 5, 2013
    This is probably the most horrifying experience in videogames, ever!
  3. Oct 31, 2013
    On one side, you have linear gameplay, at times simplistic game design and plenty of clichés. On the other – an exciting opportunity to star in a very cool horror ‘movie’.