7.9

1. Oct 5, 2013
    POE is the deepest aRPG slasher ever made. It uses some tested ideas while introducing highly innovative systems and end-game mechanics. To put it straight
    Path of Exile is AAA+ game FREE of charge. No pay to win. Grind to win!

The game is quite polished already future announcements make you connected to Wreaclast even more. Devs give their best, the rapport is great and from what i've seen in the past year the were 25+ patches, constant tweaking with the mechanics, skill tree* and skills.
    Dedication is the way Grinding Gear works. They way they introduce changes clearly shows how they care.
    *The sheer size of the skill tree is a guarantee jaw drop if seen for the first time
  2. Oct 29, 2014
    There are too many things that ruin the game:

1.Trading: No trading system, items are offered via trade chat (about 100 per minute). Impossible to compare offers for a single item you are looking for. Furthermore, about 95% of these items are pure junk and overpriced. 2. Leveling: Leveling up a character becomes boring if you have to repeat the same areas 3 times before you
    There are too many things that ruin the game:

1.Trading:

2. Leveling:

Leveling up a character becomes boring if you have to repeat the same areas 3 times before you attempt what they call "end-game content".

3. End game and rewards:

That is running maps (with map levels from 66 up to 79) with a Bossmonster at the end of the map.That looks fine because we all know that Bossmonsters hold special rewards like cool Uniques or currency or even more maps. In fact, they drop crap. I ran lvl 77-78 maps with a guildmate who had an 400% increased chance to get rarer items for almost a week and got nothing valuable.

4. Partying:

see performance and technical issues

5. Performance and technical issues:

There are too many things ruining gameplay and have not been adressed as of now, one of the worst is desync. Loosing hours of playtime you have spend because your character dies and suffers a 10% XP penalty becaus the servers loose the exact position of your character and sends you back to a place where you had been a few seconds before isn't really fun. The official game forum is full of players complaining exactly this. And now, something funny: GGG declares this as a feature to prevent cheating.

Partying sounds like fun, if you like dia-shows.Too many skills and character builds cause even high-end computers to drop down to a few frames when playing in a group.
    The last mini expansion "The Forsaken Masters" made it even worse.With this expansion players can have their own personal hideout, a place to rest or sort things in your stash, nothing special because this hideout is only a small tileset with a few objects like bricks or a wall or a few trees. Guess what happens to your framerate when entering your or other players hideout? But hey........you can
    decorate your personal hideout with hundreds of objects (of course you can buy them from GGG, but there are also free ones)....guess again what happens to your framerate and loading time ?
    I forgot weather effects. Yes, weather effects have been implemented to more and more areas over the last months although many players complain about framedrops in these areas.Instead of adding a chance to turn weather effects off via the options menue, they add even more.
    Opening the box....surprise, surprise......whats in the box? While running around you may find kind of a chest box, called strongbox.Introduced in the "Ambush league" a few months ago, you'll get ambushed by monsters when opening these boxes.Sounds funny, but.............many computers freeze for 1-2 secs while the game is loading the monsters. Click the Resurrect button and take the 10% XP penalty.

All in all this game is an ambitious project, but GGG failed in too many aspects.
  3. Dec 21, 2013
    List of things I don't like about the game:

Trading is a terrible experience due to chat spamming and no interface for buying/selling items. General game balance, in particular the scaling of skills. For instance, raise zombie is useless until the very late game and it's been like this forever. The lack of cooldowns for skills means you only have to use one, the best one. Desync.
    List of things I don't like about the game:

Desync. Their refusal to modify their game to combat this menace means there is no solution in sight and either you can accept it or you can't.

The passive tree is a great concept but it's just as unbalanced as the skills. Many nodes will never be used because of how bad they are.

Leveling takes way too long at higher levels (40+). A playthrough of normal difficulty is fun because you can run through each area once and complete the game. When you get to Cruel you have to start grinding the same areas over and over so you can keep up with the level of the monsters. Testing new builds is the most fun part of this game but the slow leveling combined with no option to respec your character makes this a chore.

Grouping with other players is made easy by the notification board in the game but there's a serious flaw. It shows people from all over the world instead of just people in your realm. There's no way of telling where they are at so when you join a group and enter their instance it's pure luck whether your ping will stay the same or skyrocket to 200-300 because they live in australia and you live in US.

The races that they do periodically are a good idea but the problem with them is that you always start at lvl 1 and often times they are only 1-2 hours long. Why not have some races start you in cruel difficulty at lvl 35 with some starting gear and skills?

You can just press esc and close the game if you are about to die. Very hardcore if you ask me.

I'm giving a 0 because I feel 8.9 is too high of a score for all these flaws. A more fair score would be a 6.
  4. Oct 24, 2013
    One or two runs through this game can be fun, but not more than that. End game (maps system) is based on pure and very unfair gambling and design to keep you as long as possible within the game.

Maps have levels from 66 78. Anything worth farming and crafting (crafting is based on gamble too) starting from lvl 71 maps which will be unreachable to most of players since maps drop rate will decrease dramatically (drop rates lowered in background without any note to player) with each subsequent level of maps and will form a very high wall at level 71 maps. To counter that you will need insane amount of currency which can be acquired only through farming or trading. Since most items worth selling or using hidden behind lvl71 maps you will find yourself in process of very unrewarding farming.

Stash space is limited. If you will run this game more than once or will want to reach end game you will need more. This is where free to play model comes in. Set of tabs for your stash will worth you 15$ (6 simple tabs) or 20$ (6 premiums). And you will buy them, because early game is so fun... But when you will reach end game, this will change into frustration of how it was designed (to keep you as long as it possible in game in hope you will buy some cosmetics effects or will run out of stash space again).

After release they introduced Guilds which can help solve main problem of this game it was designed for party not for solo players. Solo players will die a lot and in most cases you won't be able to find out why by yourself (game is based on many things most of which is not self explanatory). But, again, to get from guilds most you will have to pay with real money again.

The currency system is a pure gambling. Instead of gold this game have usable orbs which can change properties of items and maps in many ways. But they based on chance so heavily that you can trash all of your hard-earned currency in minutes and will not get anything in return. Go back to farming to repeat this process later.

Dsync is another huge problem. You will die a lot because of dsync. Period.

Game has "old school" (read outdated) leveling system. You will need to repeat process of leveling for every build you want to make. And since you will fail your fist build for sure, you will have to repeat this process over and over again while you learn this game. Follow the tip: go to the forum, find yourself a build and just follow. This will help to avoid much of frustration when things will not work as you was expecting.

And some more if you got hacked, company will not restore your stolen items or deleted characters.
  5. Oct 28, 2013
    Bland graphics, bad animations, lack of variety in mobs, laughable tryhardy currency system, and the over reliance on spamming a single ability.

The skill system, while at first glance seems interesting, ends up being a mess with a bunch of support gems making a single skill more powerful, which allows (promotes) you to spam a single ability even more than the average ARPG.
  6. Oct 25, 2013
    Path of Exile is a great complex game...on the surface.

Sure theres thousands of skill gem, support gem and passive node combinations, but comparing to its obvious competitor Diablo 3, you realise it actually offers less true character customisation. All Path of Exile offers is tons of ways to SCREW UP your character. I'm a gold closed beta supporter, and I can tell you there are
    Path of Exile is a great complex game...on the surface.

All Path of Exile offers is tons of ways to SCREW UP your character.

I'm a gold closed beta supporter, and I can tell you there are less viable endgame builds in PoE than Diablo 3. The devs haven taken steps like increasing aura costs to increase build diversity, but judging from the highly negative community response, its unlikely PoE will ever live up to its promises

I'll be back in a few years. Until then, enjoy 1 or 2 builds dominating the ladder, before GGG nerfs them and another 1 or 2 take their place.
  7. Nov 1, 2013
    To begin with, props to the developers. They've created a free game that truly tries to keep it grounded so players have to actually play the game to progress, instead of just buy their way through, a la gear from an auction house, RL player, ect.. This product appears to be a true labor of love, and the title screen even touts "After 7 years of development, we are proud to present toTo begin with, props to the developers. They've created a free game that truly tries to keep it grounded so players have to actually play the game to progress, instead of just buy their way through, a la gear from an auction house, RL player, ect.. This product appears to be a true labor of love, and the title screen even touts "After 7 years of development, we are proud to present to you POE!!"

And that might be where the problem lies: The game feels extremely dated, extremely short, and fails extremely bad in most areas.

The graphics are very meh, the story is forgettable music is just-okay, and with the way the party system is setup, you can literally win this game within ohhhhh, 4-10 hours? True story.

The game has different difficulty levels, but who cares? It boils down to monsters hitting harder, not tactics. All you do in this game is mash buttons. There's so many animations and crap flying across the screen, you spend the entire game looking at your health/spirit level waiting to pop a potion, all while just holding down the auto-attack. I literally held "Q" and pressed numbers 1-5 for my potions.

As far is loot is concerned, this game should be renamed Path of the Ninja Looter, because it becomes a crazy game of Hungry, Hungry Hippo when a rare item (and by god, they are rare) finally drops. You'll then sell that POS item to a NPC vendor who will give you scraps for it (literally) and then you put about 1000 of those scraps together to make some orbs, and then you spam-trade those orbs for other orbs (amassing about 1000 of those, too) and then spam-trade those orbs for other orbs, spam-trade more for another type of orb and when all is said and done you'll come out of it with LITERALLY 1 orb.

You'll then take that orb and find a spam-trader, whom you will then trade you a sword that he found for you're 1 orb. Congrats after all of that running back and forth to NPC and real-life spam traders, you now have a sword that does 3% more damage, with a chance to evade. If this sounds overly-complicated and un-rewarding to you, let me assure you, it is.

Now, I won the game at level 38; however, I see people leveling to 70+, grinding away to get the best gear, for a game, they've already beaten ....

That's is. Let me repeat. Beat the game in level 30's but grind away and spam-trade for gear up to level 70+. Oh, and you cant even inspect another players gear, so it is truly self-gratification unless you wanna be that jackass spam-linking his gear.
  8. Jan 28, 2014
    Just starting playing this hyped game called Path of Exile. I noticed that you cannot trade until level 25. When I got to level 25, I started to trade some stuff in one of the chat rooms. What happened there was a shame. I got people reporting me and I got some staff harassing me about trading. I just started and was having the greatest fun of my life! Unfortunately, the community and theJust starting playing this hyped game called Path of Exile. I noticed that you cannot trade until level 25. When I got to level 25, I started to trade some stuff in one of the chat rooms. What happened there was a shame. I got people reporting me and I got some staff harassing me about trading. I just started and was having the greatest fun of my life! Unfortunately, the community and the staff are the worst of all. Because of this, I give this game a rating of 0 out of 10. Of all the games I played that were free to play, this is the first time my account got muted for something that the game actually allows you to do. Why would you enable a feature that you want players not to do? The worst company and worst staff. If you want a good game, just go buy the Diablo expansion coming out in March and spam and trade all you want in the chat rooms. This company and the staff is a shame. Also, the game is somewhat outdated in relations to recent games. If the company and their staff are going to continue to be as*holes, I am going to refer my friends out of this game and tell other people not to play this game. Expand
  9. Apr 30, 2014
    I installed this game building new comp for my friend, and as I played games for last 30 years, its just biggest disappointment. This game is boring, I needed couple of cups of coffee to carry on playing, and I will never return to this game again. Diablo 2 is excellent game, Torchlight 2 is great, Diablo 3 has its flaws but this????
    As I played witch game relies on spamming your
    As I played witch game relies on spamming your skills...no cooldowns and checking your mana stat.
    I have to give some credit to guys from New Zealand for their passion to make this game but definitely "this is not Diablo 2" successor its just boring game as hell
  10. Feb 10, 2014
    Take a game good for casual gamers, add desync problems and one of the most immature community... Congratulations! You got Path of Exile!

The only good thing - to imitate - is the micro-transactions system. No P2W here.
  11. Dec 17, 2013
    Path of Exile is what Diablo 3 should have been. I spent nearly one hundred hours playing after the Steam release, and each second was well worth it. The game is well designed and leaves you wanting to play more. I loved the skill tree system and the gem skill system, as well as the vendor recipe mechanic. Unfortunately, while this game is very amazing, I have to give it a zero due to thePath of Exile is what Diablo 3 should have been. I spent nearly one hundred hours playing after the Steam release, and each second was well worth it. The game is well designed and leaves you wanting to play more. I loved the skill tree system and the gem skill system, as well as the vendor recipe mechanic. Unfortunately, while this game is very amazing, I have to give it a zero due to the fact that I was banned for no reason. I went AFK to use the restroom and came back to see that I was logged off and I attempted to relog only to be greeted by a message saying I was banned by an administrator. I tried submitting a ticket to Grinding Gear Games only for a cookie cutter response that I violated their Terms of Use. I don't have any idea how or why I did because I have read through the ToU now three times and have yet to come to any sort of conclusion as to where I breached their terms. It seems that GGG doesn't want to go into details with what ever happened. Expand
  12. Jan 16, 2014
    Everyone, my name is Marcus. I played this game called Path of Exiles one day and it seems really fun with complex mechanics. The downside is that it does not seem to be a high-end game. The other downside is that the players seem to complain about not being able to freely trade in chat rooms. I agree completely with this. I blame the support team of moderators at the company calledEveryone, my name is Marcus. I played this game called Path of Exiles one day and it seems really fun with complex mechanics. The downside is that it does not seem to be a high-end game. The other downside is that the players seem to complain about not being able to freely trade in chat rooms. I agree completely with this. I blame the support team of moderators at the company called Grinding Gear Games. I think their supervisor is this guy called Michael. His group are the worst of the worst when it comes to account disables. I know many people who were muted and even locked out of their account for simple chat issues. This sort of a lack of freedom and abusive behavior at the company is what caused me to rate this game at the lowest. I know other companies do not really care about what you do as long as you buy their game. But for Path of Exile, its different. They offer a free to play method and also a pay to play method. I know many players who have been victims of these moderators and are waiting for the Diablo expansion for 2014. I recommend you not support them if their support staff continues to be anal about chat room posts and what not. They also try to cover up the negative truth. That is why I recommend the upcoming Diablo expansion which comes out this year and not Path of Exiles. Fair gaming experience, but bad company and bad support team. Expand
  13. Oct 23, 2013
    At first glance, this is the Mecca of ARPGs, with its dark, sombre mood and unforgiving game systems. You will almost certainly have a good time leveling up with your friends. Then you reach endgame.

PoE's map system, which is supposed to reduce the apparent repetitiveness of running the same high-end area over and over again (as in most other ARPGs), is prohibitively costly in terms of in-game currency for anyone but the most dedicated mapping groups. Solo players sadly get completely shafted and are forced to run the same story areas over and over again. Why they couldn't have a less rewarding, free tier of soloing maps is beyond me.

The worst however, is the combat. It is complex, but almost entirely passive; once your skill-tree (or skill-forest as it is more widely known) is in order, the game is little more than a mindless click-fest. This is actually probably a good thing because the game's netcode is so egregious that anything requiring the tiniest bit of finesse can send you into a rage: there's nothing quite like getting one-shot by a boss's mace half a screen away. The developers claim that the problematic netcode is a result of their commitment to minimize the effects of bots and other undesirables, which is laudable, but one has to wonder if in the end it was worth it.

You may also get turned off by the extreme reliance on trading that is a consequence of the frustratingly unrewarding item drops and PoE's annoyingly random orb system (they function as a sort of consumable currency, as there is no gold in this game).

I award the game 6 points because it is pleasant enough to play through the story once. It is remarkably bug-free for a game with such complex systems and, save for the wonky netcode, you shouldn't have any headaches. It's free, so there is no reason not to give it a try if you're not bandwidth-capped.
  14. Nov 19, 2013
    Got to admit, I only played it for an hour so don't mistake this for a deep review. Took about an hour of gameplay for me to delete it off the hard drive. It's basically an online version of the tired old genre that started with games like Titan Quest. Click, click click on far too many identical enemies and watch their health bars go down. Then loot and repeat.
    If that's fun for you,
    If that's fun for you, then be happy. The game is free.
  15. May 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't fall for this game's tricks! When you first start playing, it seems awesome because you're fighting skeletons on a scary beach. The monsters are something you can relate to, and the environment is well-themed. Lightning, dark caves, skeletons, and ghosts await you at every turn. But by Act 3 that experience dissipates into a mockery of what the game built its roots on.

You end up fighting fire beetles. Yes, tons and tons of beetles, and the Act 2 end boss amounts to a giant can-opener or something ridiculous. Then instead of cool, classic monsters, you'll be fighting ribbons. Yes, I said ribbons. And these weird, ridiculous monsters that don't use their claws on you, but try to leg-sweep you for reasons unknown, like some sort of mentally challenged ninja.

Also, the maps in Act 3 become horrifically boring and way over-sized, so you'll have to spend hours upon hours just finding way-points unless you don't want to save your progress. I played with a friend of mine and we raved about how great the game was at first, but Act 3 destroyed the entire experience and we quit playing it. It was a depressing letdown and I felt like crying.
  16. Dec 21, 2013
    This game doesn't deserve the 8.8 user score and here's why.

The Good: -The game is free and although there are micro-transactions, they are just for cosmetics. -You are able to customize skills and your own passive skill tree which ever way you want. -Trading system revolves around dropable orbs which you can use to improve gear instead of a single base currency. -Lack of bots.
    This game doesn't deserve the 8.8 user score and here's why.

The Good:

-Lack of bots.
    -Party system is simple and anyone can join any group at any time.
    -Regular updates.

The Bad:

-Massive lag and desync issues.
    -It's a terrible wannabe Diablo 2 clone where there is no auction house, and massive trade spam that lags you even more. The developers are obviously stuck in the past, and if most people wanted to play Diablo 2 they would do that instead because it's a much better game. It's like a bunch of old guys that say 60s cars are much better than cars today (they're not).
    -By level 50, it's just a GRINDFEST like any typical mmo.
    -The passive skill tree is big, but the +10 to whatever doesn't do much for your character. Furthermore, if you lead yourself into a bad tree, you can't reset your passives and undo skills unless you (grind) orb of regrets. This becomes a problem when you reach merciless, and realize your build is awful and really gear dependent. Then you have to spend another 20 hours finding another build that works.
    -By completing Normal difficulty in 5-10 hours, you've already won the game. Past that it's just collecting items with different colored names to pvp with people that will always have better gear than you.
    -Hold the Q button and win. No tactics required.
  17. Jan 7, 2014
    For starters, I don't understand how so many of these reviews are 10.. 10 means a perfect or epic beyond epic game.. either you people work for GGG or you are willfully ignorant to the many flaws this game has.. why is a mystery to me, but this game is nowhere near a 10. To say this game is the deepest or best RPG ever made is laughable.
    Clearly these people have not actually played this
    Clearly these people have not actually played this game for any substantial amount of time, otherwise they would not be giving it a 10 or even an 8.
    Tough to take this site seriously at all with such ridiculous ratings..

Now to the game.

I started playing POE in Open Beta and have leveled a dozen or more characters in that time, several hardcore, several in Onslaught/Domination. All my characters have leveled to between 40-70
    In that time I have learned A LOT about this game and all of its systems and nuances, as well as the gear, trading rates, orb rates, etc.

What people need to understand is that this game is decent, but certainly not great. On the surface, its easy to start playing and be enamored with POE. It isn't until you delve more deeply into the game that you see the huge fissures which unfortunately show the game's true colors. In fact for almost every good thing in the game, it has a flipside that is equally, if not more so, negative. There is nothing in the game that is outright amazing, so again, to give it a ten is a silly joke.

I will break down my post into sections.

The Skill System: Overall the vast variety of skills provides a user with options of how to build their character. Support gems further alter the usability of these skills and provide a good amount of variety and customization. What sucks however about these skill gems is that many of these are either underpowered or downright useless. Some are not strong enough on their own until paired with support gems to buff them, and some are just pointless entirely.

Loot: When you find something in this game, there is a feeling of excitement, like any RPG. The problem is that stuff DOES NOT DROP. Take it from me who's put in around 1k+ hours. If I could sum up the game in one word, especially when considering loot, it would be "UNREWARDING". You will feel like you play for lifetimes only to find trash that is worthless and will net you a couple alts at the vendor. Good luck finding any gear that is a direct upgrade for the character you are leveling. By all accounts, unless you get insanely lucky, that AINT gonna happen. You will need to trade for anything you really need in this game, whether it be gems, orbs, or gear.. which leads me to..

Trading: To get anywhere in this game, you need to trade. That is all there is to it. If you prefer to play self-found, run away from this game now.. I've just saved you a lot of time and heartache. Trading is a pain because not only do people overvalue every item they wish to sell, many people do not even set a fixed price on items and instead ask for "offers". If you offer less than what they wish to sell for, its not uncommon for them to set you on "ignore" or reply with vile speak. It takes forever to sell anything and the trade chat is nothing but a wall of spam on every channel.

Crafting: There really isn't any crafting in this game, which to me is a humongous let down. You have all these different base items, with all these different rolls and affixes, and yet to try to craft you need an absurd amount of orbs to do so with any effect. Orb drop rates are pathetic (after leveling now 6 characters in Domination, I have a total of 7 found Chaos Orbs, 1 divine, 3 Gemcutter Prism, and around 10 Chisels) so once again, you need to trade to get orbs. Orbs are more used for currency than for crafting in almost every aspect of the game. The worst part though, is that there is no progression.. you can use orbs on an item, and there is a small chance it will improve, but a better chance it will regress in quality.

Content: The maps are pretty boring after a while. Nobody give a toss about the story, because its unmemorable, and generally its a slow grind with numerous gear checks instead of any real innovative monster skills or mechanics. Its just Up the damage and resistances and implement bosses with single shot capabilities. Graphically, the game is good but nothing amazing.

What makes me laugh the most though are all these reviews saying that this game isn't pay to win. Are you all unaware of the rampant botting and selling of Orbs and other items for real money? There are a slew of RMT sites where you can buy gear for this game and even some high end players have been known to partake. Anyone who thinks it isn't pay to win is kidding themselves or just ignorant.

Also, does a game being free mean its automatically a 10? Apparently that is this game's best quality.. that its free to play. Well, that's not saying much then is it?

Overall, if you have no life and are masochistic, this is the game for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere for an RPG
  18. Sep 3, 2014
    Infuriating. Monsters posi-glitch all the time. Impossible to play seriously unless you have very good ping. Once you finish the three difficulties and begin maps, you'll just be playing the crafting and trading game. Maps aren't made to level in and all the rares you find will be useless. It's at this point the game stops being remotely fun and is more of a chore. If you're not tanky itInfuriating. Monsters posi-glitch all the time. Impossible to play seriously unless you have very good ping. Once you finish the three difficulties and begin maps, you'll just be playing the crafting and trading game. Maps aren't made to level in and all the rares you find will be useless. It's at this point the game stops being remotely fun and is more of a chore. If you're not tanky it requires constant focus for PvM with no rewards. PoE suffers from the exact same problems it did the last time I played and the same things made me quit again. Expand
  19. Feb 3, 2014
    Left this game long ago when I got muted for selling in global chat. I do not know what the big deal is. Everyone there is like a report lover. I understand that they are trying to crack down on botters, but seriously. The community is like a bunch of immature pool turds that do not want to mind their own fu**ing business. I blame all the moderators who are there for this to happen. I knowLeft this game long ago when I got muted for selling in global chat. I do not know what the big deal is. Everyone there is like a report lover. I understand that they are trying to crack down on botters, but seriously. The community is like a bunch of immature pool turds that do not want to mind their own fu**ing business. I blame all the moderators who are there for this to happen. I know many people who feel the same way. I give 0 to this game because they have lousy moderators. My reason is that if I cannot play, then I cannot enjoy the game. I would say the game has potential for a higher score from me only if they allow me to trade freely, fix the chat system, or add a trade platform for easier trades. The game moderators should go to hell. Expand
  20. Dec 29, 2013
    POE goes sour, most players quit out of frustration.

Eventually desync bugs or fruitless grinding will be what drive most players to quit this game. Great games you look back at with fondness after you are done with them. POE you look at with fondness when you start playing, and 10-100 play hours later you are frustrated and wish hadn't given them any money. New players, look over
    POE goes sour, most players quit out of frustration.

New players, look over the official game forums to see what you are getting into. Be sure to look in the feedback forum where the moderators move anything negative. In particular look at the desync and drop rate related threads. Item drops and trading are balanced towords no-real-life players, and the dev team refuses to acknowledge that the desync issues need to (or can be) be fixed.
  21. Feb 11, 2014
    this game is overhyped garbage by far. It does alot right, but it does alot oh so wrong. The first complaint I have is the fact that this game forces the character to be a certain sex or character for each class they want to play. the game is a repetitive grindfest from the minute you end up on shore. I fealt like after a few "reskinned" areas, painstakingly messing around with my pretendthis game is overhyped garbage by far. It does alot right, but it does alot oh so wrong. The first complaint I have is the fact that this game forces the character to be a certain sex or character for each class they want to play. the game is a repetitive grindfest from the minute you end up on shore. I fealt like after a few "reskinned" areas, painstakingly messing around with my pretend "unique" character, I fealt like I had already seen the game. the skill tree at face value looks like a innovative potential but a few ten levels and you notice no matter where you build you are going to end up with the same build regardless. there is no freedom in the skill tree. the trade system is piss poor, gold currency was made for a reason. the team finding system is piss poor. nobody answers chat, it is such a hassle to find the correct team. in a game that relies on heavy teamwork this game fails at creating teams. I spent alot of time being bored out of my mind than advancing in the game. what the game does right is blighted out but I will list it anyways. this game does materia and it does it well. even though the combat system is stale and borderline BORING MASH FEST, I find some of the magic fresh towards this stale series. the fact that it is free tells how bad it is, if I had to pay for this game I would be pissed. Expand
  22. Apr 18, 2014
    Game is fun for a couple of weeks, but like a lot of these games suffers from bad loot, incoherent nerfs, meaningless stats, bad scaling, useless dodge/defense mechanics and extremely limited game-play. There is no trading system. Pretty clear the developer is lost with this one.
  23. Feb 1, 2014
    A 1 out of 10 for me! Ok. I do not like the support moderators in the game. I do not like the players who constantly report you for doing nothing. I do not like the lack of freedom. I do not like how there is not sort of formal trade system because chat trading gets tiresome.

I do like this game being pretty different from some of the games being released today. Seems I have more negative thoughts than positives. That's it, so bye!
  24. Apr 22, 2014
    This is a diablo-like, but this is not definitely not Diablo, the combat are so slowww, i feel like hitting a piece of butter with a plastic fork. the graphics are ugly...some people will say "it's dark, not like diablo", well it's not dark for me, it's ugly, everything is static, nothing lives in this game.
  25. Aug 25, 2014
    I tried to like it, I really did. But; the game play is clumsy, the graphics are painful, I do not enjoy spamming 1 spell over and over, most of the skill tree is useless, the lag/desync is outrageous... I am all about liking the concept, but this was poorly done.

I realize that there is a fan base that holds this game as the true sequel to Diablo 2. I whole heartedly disagree. I think Diablo 2 is vastly superior in every way except graphics.

I wish I could actually find another Diablo 2. Diablo 3, while fun- falls short of the mark. It's more of an action game. And PoE was just a painful experience. Maybe call it PoS?
  26. Jan 31, 2014
    This game is the very definition of such. First it is a rip off of Diablo and has all of the faults of that game plus the faults of being an on-line game. The worst feature is that the atmosphere is mono-chromatic, depressing and just plain boring. Frankly after killing undead for hours I found myself identifying with them. The next worst feature is that you play through an area, but haveThis game is the very definition of such. First it is a rip off of Diablo and has all of the faults of that game plus the faults of being an on-line game. The worst feature is that the atmosphere is mono-chromatic, depressing and just plain boring. Frankly after killing undead for hours I found myself identifying with them. The next worst feature is that you play through an area, but have to leave and when you come back you are at home base. You have to do the same old boring stuff all over again. Yes it has a huge amount of upgrades and customization but you have to be willing to pay the price of being bored to tears to get to a point where others say the game becomes interesting. Frankly there are games out there that are loads more fun from the beginning. Expand
  27. Sep 29, 2014
    looks realy old, and should have offline mode, skilltree is little to big, they could have moved str int dex somevhere else, i would recomend titan quest, dablo 3, grim dawn and torchlight
  28. Dec 28, 2013
    A really bad Diablo II clone =

Here's the good news: interface and short cuts are almost exactly the same as Diablo II. Sadly, they've been redesigned very badly. Take the overlay-map as an example: it's next to useless because there no landmarks are visible for the player to orient himself. The game's graphics are worse than those of the 13 year old Diablo II. Of course the
    A really bad Diablo II clone =

The game's graphics are worse than those of the 13 year old Diablo II. Of course the resolution is a lot better, but PoE lacks details and most of all lighting. The character selection menu is so bad, I almost closed the game again instantly. The characters are hidden, and yes, that IS bad design, even if they're supposed to be 'in the shadows' (there are no shadows, everything is grey). Showing off the characters is the point of a character selection, so why not use some contrast and light?

Character and monster design seems equally uninspired, although that may change in higher levels (I only played two characters to level 8 and 10 respectively).

The gameplay is boring to say the least. A very simple hack'n'slay but even that isn't really fun. Diablo 3 isn't much more than a hack and slay after playing the story through but at least it feels perfect and looks stunning.

I've not seen any story to speak of, the characters are almost as bleak as the levels are boring. The latter are also not very well designed, making them more of a maze. They're also not dynamically created (probably because that would be difficult for an MMO).

The skill system looks amazing at first glance with an incredibly complex skill tree dazzling the player. Mostly that is because all character classes are shown at once, though, making the whole thing quite confusing at the beginning. This super complex skill system stands in stark contrast to the lack of character customization. There are no stat points for strength, dexterity or intelligence that would make a truly complex character system.

At least there's one interesting thing to note: Gems can be levelled and changed from weapons and armour without any cost. This allows for a lot of experimentation in character creation. Then again, most players will probably just not think about their characters as much if they know they can change weapons and armor at any time without penalty.

Overall the game is quite well characterised by the Grinding Gear Games logo: ugly, rusted cogs that do not work smoothly, if they work at all.
    The only reason this game gets any good reviews must be that a lot of young players never played Diablo II.
  29. Jan 31, 2014
    Hi support! I am writing this review because of you guys. One of the main support guys is named Michael. He is a fu*king shi*! Oh...and also...the other moderators are also fu*king shi*s. I was banned for constantly posting what I wanted to say and all they do is ban people for disruption? Well, my money is going to this new game called Grim Dawn. The support staff at the company areHi support! I am writing this review because of you guys. One of the main support guys is named Michael. He is a fu*king shi*! Oh...and also...the other moderators are also fu*king shi*s. I was banned for constantly posting what I wanted to say and all they do is ban people for disruption? Well, my money is going to this new game called Grim Dawn. The support staff at the company are cowards and they know this. They cannot even take hate posts on the forum, so they have to make up a new rule to prevent hate posts. They also try to ban your IP if they do not like you. Talk about abuse there. Well, it seems as though this game is losing players fast and I am happy to hear that. A dead game means a dead community and that means the company is bad. Wait, the support team is bad and one of the worst customer service groups I have ever met in my whole gaming career. Shame on them coward losers!

George L.
  30. Feb 2, 2014
    One of the company's moderators are **** I was trying to trade my rares in the chat rooms and was muted. I think the moderators need to go out and get a life. Maybe that moderator is a wannabe police geek. It makes me laugh that games are nowhere near competitive sports, and you get penalized from gamer nerds. These moderator nerds and geeks need to get out from behind their screens soOne of the company's moderators are **** I was trying to trade my rares in the chat rooms and was muted. I think the moderators need to go out and get a life. Maybe that moderator is a wannabe police geek. It makes me laugh that games are nowhere near competitive sports, and you get penalized from gamer nerds. These moderator nerds and geeks need to get out from behind their screens so that real men can confront them. Probably they would get pounced out and hide like cowards. If the moderators are reading this, they should really back off of players who are trying to just play and chat game related stuff. These moderators are losers for sure. I give this game 2 points only because I play this free game called Dota 2. I can talk smack all I want and I do not even get penalized. Haha. Expand
  31. Mar 9, 2014
    This game is boring. No, i mean REALLY BORING. The only reason people play it, is to say "im not diablo3 fanboy, look i play better game". Ah and its free, schoolboys like to grind not work to buy game.
    But meanwhile there is no game at all. Only excel skill planing. Gameplay is boring rightclick like 1000 times before.
    The plot sometimes interesting, but can you write down any NPC name
    The plot sometimes interesting, but can you write down any NPC name after you finish it? Nope.

How fanboy see it: thousand builds
    In real world: 3.5 actual builds, other is weak and unplayable / playable only with gear grinded 500 hours.

How fanboy see it: SOOOO MUCH PASIVESS!!!!
    In real world: 99% of nodes are same as "put 5 points in str/agi/int after lvlup".

How fanboy see it: free game, no pay to win, no money auction
    In real world: bots in every league, black market = same money auction but some people dont know / dont wanna use it

etc. etc. etc.

Overrated game. 4.
  32. Jan 19, 2014
    I want to tell everyone how disappointed I am with the moderators of this game. The moderators are scum because they mute you for trading global chat. I played so many free to play games and bought so many pc games that I never been muted for something so absurd like what the moderators do in this game. That is the downside to this company. They cannot even provide a fix to this and whatI want to tell everyone how disappointed I am with the moderators of this game. The moderators are scum because they mute you for trading global chat. I played so many free to play games and bought so many pc games that I never been muted for something so absurd like what the moderators do in this game. That is the downside to this company. They cannot even provide a fix to this and what they do is they mute player accounts. It is not even funny because when you are muted, you basically cannot enjoy the multiplayer experience. Its like playing offline mode, but they make the game an online game. This game is far from being the best and with such a scum moderator team, I am giving this a 1 out of 10. The one point is for a fun run through with the game. Other than that, bad moderators, and that means bad company. Go play Grim Dawn everyone! Its much better. Expand
  33. Feb 10, 2014
    Pros : Diablo Like

Cons: Heavy Grinding without real reward. Trading is necessary All the time Desync problems and the devs dont give a **** about it. Not newbie friendly Skills are copy paste nothing new. Worst currency system ive seen so far. 6 ppl party almost unplayable coz of many laggy builds. Feels like a single player game but u will lagg / desync Poor game optimization
    Pros : Diablo Like

Cons: Heavy Grinding without real reward.
    Trading is necessary
    All the time Desync problems and the devs dont give a **** about it.
    Not newbie friendly
    Skills are copy paste nothing new.
    Worst currency system ive seen so far.
    6 ppl party almost unplayable coz of many laggy builds.
    Feels like a single player game but u will lagg / desync
    Poor game optimization
    Devs dont really pay attention to the suggestions / feedbacks (only if its positive)
    After lvl 80 it takes ages for a small upgrade in gear.
    Many build are unplayable on Hardcore coz of desync.
    Events are for NOLIFERS

I guess thats all , it worth a try but after few days / weeks it gets booring as Torchlight2.
  34. Oct 4, 2013
    Greatest ARPG ever created and its finally being released the 23 of October. If you like playing an ARPG with endless character customization. Endless build diversity endless skill diversity and a passive skill tree that makes me have a nerdgasme then this is for you. This is truly a game made by gamers for gamers
  35. Dec 16, 2013
    I played POE in early launch. I call it launch, but it was technically the first day of open beta. In my opinion, when a game has a functioning cash shop and is making money, and opens up to everyone. It should be called launch. I'm thinking of all the games that had the testicular fortitude to call their game "launch" and got bad reviews. Then got better with updates, but somehow don'tI played POE in early launch. I call it launch, but it was technically the first day of open beta. In my opinion, when a game has a functioning cash shop and is making money, and opens up to everyone. It should be called launch. I'm thinking of all the games that had the testicular fortitude to call their game "launch" and got bad reviews. Then got better with updates, but somehow don't get a second chance or a re review down the road. This is what happened. PoE would've gotten terrible scores if it called it release. There's no denying that. It was unfinished, and is completely un fair to any game.

If I were a dev, i'd learn from this. Release in open beta, so no one can review you, continue to make money, develop the game and call it release when you know for sure you'll get a good score.

Shame on reviewrs, shame on you sheep for following this.
  36. Nov 18, 2013
    The game is fun and, for the most part, well designed. But for a game that was in a closed beta for years and open beta for half a year, it's a very poorly optimized game. Creatures teleport around due to lag, as does the main character.

The worst, however, is the constant BSODs that occur for just about anybody using a Creative sound card. This has been going on for years, and the only solution given is a command line switch to bypass using hardware audio at all. The good news? The "solution" kind of works. The bad news? Yeah, it doesn't really work while the BSODs are lessened, they still happen. As far as I can tell, the official response to this is to use a command line switch to disable sound entirely. That's just poor programming and poor customer service. Yeah, it's free, but that doesn't excuse shoddy code.
  37. Oct 30, 2013
    This is what Diablo 3 should have been. Dark, subtle, with a tons of choices to build up your character and being free-to-play and not pay-to-win doubles the charm of this game.
  38. Oct 20, 2013
    By far THE best ARPG game I have ever played! The game specializes in the utmost advanced character customization in any game I have ever played. The game has the best elements from practically every ARPG on the market today. The development team is 2nd to none, Grinding Gears Games out does themselves each and every day. Their community support and interaction is unbelievable. ThisBy far THE best ARPG game I have ever played! The game specializes in the utmost advanced character customization in any game I have ever played. The game has the best elements from practically every ARPG on the market today. The development team is 2nd to none, Grinding Gears Games out does themselves each and every day. Their community support and interaction is unbelievable. This game is a must play for anyone interested in a loot based ARPG that is willing to invest some time into learning the ropes. It can be a bit overwhelming for new players, but the community that plays is more than willing to help anyone get over the hurdles associated with beginning the game. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Expand
  39. Nov 18, 2013
    If this game was offline, or had decent servers/code it would be a great game.

If this game was offline, or had decent servers/code it would be a great game.

However it has none of those things. De-sync is out of control, a quick google search will show you this has been a problem since forever and the devs have no idea how to fix it or just do not care. Their solution thus far was to put in a command /oos to sync you back to where the server thinks you are. One has to wonder why they don't simply bind this functionality into skills if they already have it. So that when you use a skill it checks to make sure you are where the server thinks you are.

Apart from the apparent lack of skill on the devs behalf the in-game staff are much worse. If you disagree with their sexual preferences (gay btw) and you state that in any capacity you will be muted for Hate Speech. Want to say that being straight is normal (even though it is and this is simply a fact) Muted. The irony being that imposing their own views on others and muting anyone that disagrees is actually Hate Speech against straight people. Want to point out that if humans were all gay we would have gone extinct a long time ago? Hate Speech. Muted.

There are many other things wrong with the game, like the map being horrendously drawn and looks like absolute garbage, but it would take far too long to list them all here. Go to their forums and read some of the threads there before the mods lock and delete them for being honest.

If you want to play a good ARPG just go play Diablo 2 or wait for the Diablo 3 expansion. This game is filled with bigots and their staffs entire job is to hide negative feedback and not actually improve the game. Everything that is fun in this game is a direct copy of Diablo 2 anyway but with less depth. 7 years to make an average game that most people didn't even play past the first week? What an absolute disgrace.
  40. Oct 24, 2013
    At first glance PoE does seem like an innovative and fresh game, and although it holds true in some areas there are many many problems still in the game. Just to elaborate on a few:

1) Solo vs. Multiplayer. GGG doesn't care about solo players. Not. At. All. I've been in beta for over 2 years, that means longer than most the more "known" forumites, and when I joined in 2011 people were complaining that the game is a facerole in party and a drag as soloplayer. Well guess what, this hasn't changed at any given time over the last years. The game is still just a facerole as party and a rather frustrating experience as solo player. Show some good design and give monsters new (aoe) skills depending on how many players are in a party. Don't just increase health and damage. This would also battle the problem of multiboxers.

2) Selffound vs. Trading. This game relies heavily on trading and playing selffound or offering a selffound mode seems unthinkable as GGG's lead designer say things like:

"finding a unique item makes you excited because it has value to other players"

How can someone who likes ARPG say something so utterly wrong. There are a ton of players who just want to play selffound and mostly or with friends and PoE does everything it can to alienate those people.

3) Magic Find. Mindlessly copied from D2 although it should be known that it is a completly design as an item stat. No innovation whatsoever.

4) Difficulty. Again no innovation whatsoever. Just a gear-check. Difficulty is only increased by increasing enemy health and damage. How about something more fun and something that actually rewards skill? Give monster different skills that require you to dodge, or make you take care not getting swarmed... oh wait..

5)... I forgot, you can't actually make this game more fast-paced because it will desync all the time if you use something like flicker strike or high movement speed/attack speed.

6) Skills. Although the trigger gems and support gem thing is very nice there are still missing a ton of actually fun spells. A fire witch has fireball and firestorm. Incredible.
    I know that this will get better over time but nevertheless I feel like pointing it out. ;)

7) Item design is overall really good but the unique items often end up being a disappointment. The design goal here is to make unique items a build enabler, but especially in lower levels this makes finding one of the very rare unique items frustrating. Identifying a unique shield at level 30 and seeing that ALL it offers is the keystone passive "pain attunement" will result in you rolling eyes instead of thinking "wow what a great item".

8) Item progression is... well. Not that great to be honest. The skill system is something new, but at the end of the day it's just inferior to a skill point based system design like TQ. Also the required links/sockets and the rather rare drops of orbs of fusing will add to making self-found an unenjoyable experience.

Well I could go on and on, but let's just end with this:

Path Of Exile is a decent game and I still see lots of potential, although speaking from 2 years of experience I will say that I doubt that they will now suddenly start to fix, what they ignored for so long.
  41. Oct 17, 2013
    Probably the best ARPG out there, and its FTP. With 6(soon 7) classes, an enormous skill tree, customization of skills beyond anything I have ever encountered( even though this is first noticeable late-game) and a world so intriguing this is worth every second of your playtime. With constant Patches, Yearly Expansions(they promised) and multiple leagues with different game modes andProbably the best ARPG out there, and its FTP. With 6(soon 7) classes, an enormous skill tree, customization of skills beyond anything I have ever encountered( even though this is first noticeable late-game) and a world so intriguing this is worth every second of your playtime. With constant Patches, Yearly Expansions(they promised) and multiple leagues with different game modes and lengths, this is a game that never gets boring, if you choose to explore it and what it has to offer. And if you just want to chill in the Standard League this is challenging in it self, because Path of Exile is not a game for the weak-minded, this is a hard, brutal game that will test you and punish you when you fail.
    Grinding Gear Gaming has shown the world how games should be made; with the pure intention to make an awesome game and they have succeeded. They listen to they community as most Indie game developers but they lash out a game so much better, challenging and interesting than most AAA+ games.
  42. Oct 24, 2013
    This is the true "Diablo 3". Brings back great memories of the way an ARPG should be. Geat loot system, AMAZING skill system, the MOST diverse skill tree you will ever see in a game. No two build will be exactly the same. Community is the best I have seen in any F2P game.
  43. Oct 25, 2013
    Pros
    Free to play with no pay to win
    game will keep you entertained for months, with weekly added features
    Devs are very vocal to the community
    Great immersion and depth

Cons :
    Legacy items have ruined standard/hardcore forever
    Devs dont listen to the overwhelming feedback of certain things (see above)
    Desync lag on certain skills
    Takes all your life

Great game regardless
  44. Oct 23, 2013
    Game is fun, the skill systems are highly interesting, and they even did free to play right, without any of the pay to win BS. Definitely worth playing.
  45. Oct 23, 2013
    Path of Exile is the first ARPG/Hack n' Slash I have loved since Diablo II. The game is free, which is in-frakkin-credible once you realize you've been playing for 7 months straight. I played it in beta and saw it change over time and I am in love with the final product! Thank you Grinding Gear! If you're looking for a game to tide you over until the D3 expansion, play this POE and you'llPath of Exile is the first ARPG/Hack n' Slash I have loved since Diablo II. The game is free, which is in-frakkin-credible once you realize you've been playing for 7 months straight. I played it in beta and saw it change over time and I am in love with the final product! Thank you Grinding Gear! If you're looking for a game to tide you over until the D3 expansion, play this POE and you'll be like, "Diablo-who?" Expand
  46. Dec 4, 2013
    Pros: its free, dark Gothic style, reminds me a bit of Diablo 2, fun to start with.

Negatives: frustrating waypoint system especially near bosses. Not suited for solo play (especially with Act 2 boss onwards) as bosses/mobs become incredibly hard. In game trade system confusing and clunky. In game chat annoying. Character stats system confusing and complex easy to get wrong first time. Grinding through mobs later in the game gets incredibly hard. Equipment socketing is confusing at first. Player deaths are not handled very well especially near boss fights where you need to fight your way through massive map of monsters to reach the boss if you die without having a portal open. Inventory system feels like a chore and constant juggling for space. Desync is frustrating beyond belief when fighting large mobs or an end boss. Maps expire too quickly often within minutes the map you just portaled from resets and you lose the portal (especially annoying if you just portaled from a boss fight!!)

Final Opinion: yes its free (which is a big plus), but for me the negatives way outnumber the positives. I ended up uninstalling after finding myself not enjoying this game at all. It's a shame, because if just a few of the negatives were fixed (especially with boss waypoints) I might consider coming back to it.
  47. Nov 24, 2013
    This game looks like crap, feels like crap mechanically, and has some of the most annoying concepts which seem overly rebellious against games like Diablo 3.

The items are so overly complex that getting upgrades comes so rarely once you start to level up more. What's even more annoying is that 100 items are commonly on screen and literally 0 of them will be of any use whatsoever.

Getting an item with the exact things you need is borderline impossible. I'm not going to get into it in detail, but basically theres infinite combinations of sockets which are very important and you commonly need a very specific setup for them, which requires overly specific items.

There is awful lag/desync issue and yet you are punished on death by a 10% experience penalty. I very rarely die due to a mistake I made, but commonly die due to desync and I lose 20 minutes of experience at higher levels.

There's also no respec option. At all. If you end up making mistakes with your character build, you may as well delete the character. Same thing if they significantly nerf a skill, since you have to build all around one or two abilities.

It makes me mad that they cling on to these archaic game concepts:

-No Respec
    -Punishment on Death
    -No easy way to trade (yet trading is sooooooo overly necessary)

That's another big part of it. Trading is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY and is basically the only way to get to true end game.

When you hit the higher levels, you expect that your self-found 1000dps is satisfactory, but then you learn that you actually need 40k dps.
  48. Sep 30, 2013
    One of the best games existing at the moment.

Not only it's overall a fun highly customizable and funny experience. IT COSTS NOTHING! So where's the trick? is there an item shop? Yeah there is one, so bad they don't sell anything that can unbalance the game in any way. It's probably the most-accomplished free to play experiment i've seen so far, and i'm playing online from over
    One of the best games existing at the moment.

Not only it's overall a fun highly customizable and funny experience.

IT COSTS NOTHING!

It's probably the most-accomplished free to play experiment i've seen so far, and i'm playing online from over 10 years.

If you think blizzard wanted 50€ for giving you something WAY LESS more funny than this(d3), and this is free, you can't seriously avoid wondering what's so terribly wrong in the gaming world.
  49. Oct 24, 2013

50. Oct 4, 2013
    If you like anything that you enjoy, you probably want to give Path of Exile a try.

It's free to play so there's nothing to lose, and there are countless hours of engaging gameplay. It's in the ARPG genre, and many call it the "spiritual successor" of Diablo 2 (I'm one of them). It really does well the things that Blizzard did well with the first two Diablo games, and expands on it in its own unique way. The gameplay is just as addicting as other ARPGs, but because of the itemization, economy and skill system it's ultimately more rewarding. In Diablo 3 for example the gameplay was wonderfully engaging but ultimately not rewarding enough on account of the itemization system and level cap. In PoE the gameplay is just as fun (if not more) and the excitement of the loot explosion and the level ding NEVER get old.

My only advise would be this: if you do try it out (and you should) don't make any final judgments before you hit level 20. That's where you start getting out of the basics of the game and start building your character.
  51. Oct 22, 2013
    Path of Exile is a stunning game, one of the most accomplished entirely free game out there.
    It might seemed a little complex at first, but once you understand the mechanism and the complexity of the gameplay it is a tremendous experience.
    The nice POE community will always be here to help refine your build or answer your questions if you have troubles. There are updates on a weekly
    There are updates on a weekly basis adding legendaries, skills and correcting bugs.
    And then there are the races with ladder and prices (150 races of all kind/season), the 4month league, the maps (endgame content), so much to do that even 1000 hours couldn't be enough to do it all!

Path of Exile is awesome, don't miss it!
  52. Oct 23, 2013
    If you liked D2, you will love Path of Exile! It's free to play, it's NOT possible to buy gameplay advantages, it has no ingame currency (it's all about farming, crafting modifying, trading), and the skill system is extremely unique and extensive (passive skill tree with ~1350 skills, lots of skill gems and support gems that works together). This game gives you quite no limits to yourIf you liked D2, you will love Path of Exile! It's free to play, it's NOT possible to buy gameplay advantages, it has no ingame currency (it's all about farming, crafting modifying, trading), and the skill system is extremely unique and extensive (passive skill tree with ~1350 skills, lots of skill gems and support gems that works together). This game gives you quite no limits to your creativity for interesting builds and therefore guarantees exciting gameplay. 10/10 Expand
  53. Oct 23, 2013
    Absolutely smashing game. I will play many hours of PoE.
  54. Oct 24, 2013
    This is what Diablo 3 should have been, geared towards PC gamers, with fun upgrades and a dynamic skill tree. perfect for any one who still had LoD on the PC and is looking for something new to play.
  55. Oct 24, 2013
    Game is holy good for D2 fans. If you like endless character customizations, uniques that actually mean something, actual pvp and a grueling, challenging gameplay, this game IS for you.
  56. Oct 24, 2013
    I've been playing this game since it's a bettaand the developer of these games are really giving everything that the players need the game is free and if you're a fan of diablo 2you will have a really fun time playing this game
  57. Oct 25, 2013
    The true successor to Diablo 2. No complaints. Just goes to show the kind of game can be made when the developers openly converse with their community/fanbase.. Something that doesn't happen enough these days.
  58. Oct 25, 2013
    As a free, action RPG made by a smaller developer, this game gets all the right things right. The gear is complex and diverse enough to make your character yours while not so complex that you can't figure it out. Full community support and open interaction with the developers via several social media sites and their own forums make it even better since your voice is heard and discussedAs a free, action RPG made by a smaller developer, this game gets all the right things right. The gear is complex and diverse enough to make your character yours while not so complex that you can't figure it out. Full community support and open interaction with the developers via several social media sites and their own forums make it even better since your voice is heard and discussed if you have a valid point.

It's a great successor to the Diablo 1 and 2 franchise (Diablo 3 will be forgotten...) and a very solid recommendation for anyone into the genre.
  59. Oct 25, 2013
    Chris Wilson and Grinding Gear Games has done everything right. I cannot think of a game in the last 5+ years that I have enjoyed more then this 1. Having played the beta for almost 2 years now, the best compliment that I can give it's developers is that I trust them, which is something I do not say bout game developers...ever. They patch content regularly to keep things fresh andChris Wilson and Grinding Gear Games has done everything right. I cannot think of a game in the last 5+ years that I have enjoyed more then this 1. Having played the beta for almost 2 years now, the best compliment that I can give it's developers is that I trust them, which is something I do not say bout game developers...ever. They patch content regularly to keep things fresh and create leagues to keep competition fresh as well. I cannot recommend this game enough. I use the term "game" loosely because in reality I think what they did here was create a world, and let a bunch of game players loose in it. The character development is refreshingly complex and simple at the same time. Please people, if you have zero dollars to spare try this game out. That's right it is free and it is NOT pay to win. The only thing you can buy are cosmetics. But if you are like me, then you'll want to spend a little money just as a thank you to GGG for doing such an amazing job. Expand
  60. Oct 25, 2013
    The first ARPG to truly succeed Diablo 2. That's all you need to know. Until PoE, Diablo 2 was still the king of ARPGs. Not anymore!

This is the deepest ARPG ever in terms of its itemization and character customization/progression. Absolutely brilliant! You can sink a nearly infinite amount of time into this game if you desire. It is definitely for the hardcore of the hardcore you can expect to spend a lot of time theorycrafting and min/maxing your build and gear if you hope to survive much beyond normal difficulty.

The strength of the game is also its weakness, however... if you are a more casual player, this game will probably be the absolute opposite of fun for you. There's very little help in-game to understand the various systems at work (skill tree & currency, in particular). Also, while there's a nearly infinite build variety, probably 99.9% of the possible build variations you can make are horrible, due to the games' difficulty.

However, if you are OK with the idea of either looking up a build from someone else, or re-rolling lots of characters as you learn, you are in for a treat with this game!

Just expect some rough edges... even though this is the 1.0 official release, it still has some bugs and some balance issues (my personal favorite so far the end of A3 normal is more difficult than the entire first half of Cruel difficulty).
  61. Oct 24, 2013
    It's what Diablo 3 should have been and has been given to us completely free of charge.

The game already has 3 complete Acts with Act 4 on the way. They plan to patch in new content every 4 months and release a new expansion every year all FREE.

It's truly the closest thing to a D2 sequel. See for yourself.
  62. Oct 27, 2013
    My actual rating is a 9.5/10 but I'm rounding up because this is better than a 9. This game is AMAZING and addictive. Customize your character's gear and skills however you want to. Choose from 7 different classes. The combat is click-intensive but it's so much deeper than other "combat". I tried playing Divinity 2 that has 3 classes only, you have to stick to the same class, skillsMy actual rating is a 9.5/10 but I'm rounding up because this is better than a 9. This game is AMAZING and addictive. Customize your character's gear and skills however you want to. Choose from 7 different classes. The combat is click-intensive but it's so much deeper than other "combat". I tried playing Divinity 2 that has 3 classes only, you have to stick to the same class, skills are limited, and combat is hack/slash. In Path of Exile I chose a Shadow (rogue type) and I can use any weapon or skill type like magic, bows, heavy armor, two-handed weapons, etc. I currently duel-wield claws, I can summon zombies that follow me and fight till death, skeletons too, I can animate fallen loot weapons to fight like a minion, I can detonate dead bodies to blow up, click to aim a freeze blast, or switch to my bow instantly for ranged combat....WOW is the right reaction. YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT TO YOUR CHARACTER. So much loot, so much to fight, quests to complete, and you can do all these things side-by-side with a friend. AND IT'S ALL FREE!!! At least give this game a try because they're not kidding when they say that is is the REAL DIABLO III and then some! Expand
  63. Oct 28, 2013
    I played the alpha and beta. Several years later this game is still fascinating and the developer amaze me with frequent patching, very very detailed patch log above industry standards and a definitely not pay 2 win approach for a F2P game.

Path of Exile, with no exaggeration, spoken from my quite aged Diablo 1 & 2 and other RPG gamers heart is what Diablo 3 should have been.
  64. Oct 23, 2013
    One of the best f2p models I've ever seen, and one of the best ARPGs I've ever played. It's hard to believe a game like this is free. If you liked D2, I'd highly recommend checking this game out. Combat and animations aren't as fluid as something you'd see from Blizzard, but pretty much everything else in the game is an advancement of the genre. Many of the features introduced by this gameOne of the best f2p models I've ever seen, and one of the best ARPGs I've ever played. It's hard to believe a game like this is free. If you liked D2, I'd highly recommend checking this game out. Combat and animations aren't as fluid as something you'd see from Blizzard, but pretty much everything else in the game is an advancement of the genre. Many of the features introduced by this game will be common place years from now. Even D3 is starting to incorporate aspects of PoE, such as itemization and user-designed legendaries. Expand
  65. Oct 23, 2013
    The game is really awesome, lots of things to do, a huge possibilitys of buildings and a well done endgame, and GGG is doing all they can do to make the game even better, the game really deserve a 10/10 but i'll but 9/10 for some persona reasons.
  66. Oct 24, 2013
    Best ARPG to date. The true successor to Diablo 2 with a great atmosphere and gameplay.
    Anyone who enjoyed the arpg genre will find a true gem in this game.
  67. Oct 24, 2013
    This game is free to play. The developers listen to player feedback and have since they started Open Beta, which I have been in since 1 month after it started (over a year ago).

The lore is detailed and deep. The game itself is of high quality (art aspects and such, the look/graphics of it). The gameplay is fun and complex. If you enjoyed Diablo 2, you will enjoy this game. One

The lore is detailed and deep.
    The gameplay is fun and complex.

If you enjoyed Diablo 2, you will enjoy this game.

One thing though: The ladders change every 4 months. If you don't like something about the game currently, wait 4 months. It's a long wait, but things change drastically when this ladder change happens. So maybe you will like it again.

This rating is an overall rating of the game. Not based purely on it's current state, but it's track record for being awesome. Some people don't like the current state of the game, that will always be true, but it changes just often enough to balance making your progress worthwhile but giving something new to refresh your interest in the game.
  68. Oct 25, 2013
    One of the best games in the past decade for PC. If you loved Diablo 2, there is no doubt you will like Path of Exile.. as critics say "the true Diablo 2 sequel" PoE has the most insane character customization in any game i have ever seen. I have been playing this game for 8 months now and still to this day i feel like i have never seen 2 other players ever be the same. Not only is POEOne of the best games in the past decade for PC. If you loved Diablo 2, there is no doubt you will like Path of Exile.. as critics say "the true Diablo 2 sequel" PoE has the most insane character customization in any game i have ever seen. I have been playing this game for 8 months now and still to this day i feel like i have never seen 2 other players ever be the same. Not only is POE full of challenging and fun content the developers (GGG) are awesome, they REALLY listen to the community and respond quick (they don't take months to respond to a problem the community pointed out) bi weekly patches added content and no pay to win what so ever! What makes this game 10/10 for me is the items, and how they are designed which is what an action RPG is all about. The item system is so deep and detailed, you will either get intimated or fall in love at first sight. There are a lot of items in this game worth keeping and man oh man when you get an upgrade you can feel it!! Unique are insanely well made.. most of them come with a huge additional benefit.. with a cost however. But last but certainly not least is the end game. PoE is the ONLY Action RPG with a TRUE end game. Maps.. randomized maps which YOU roll the stats for (using items you find) and grinding your way up to level 100 but don't worry.. its not an "MMO fantasy grind" its the kind of grind that gets you at the edge of your seat everytime you play. I highly recommend reading up guides before playing the game because it Is challenging, however if you prefer to learn with trial and error thats ok too Path of Exile to this day, is now my top 3 games of all time. Im so excited and happy for GGG (they really earned it) and can't wait to see what kind of crazy amazing things they add in the future Expand
  69. Oct 25, 2013
    i dont plat diablo 2,im started with diablo 3,played it for 2000 hours on my barbarian,and POE came out.. and yeah,i tried it,and then i realised,and then i know why so many people mad at diablo 3,POE is way more better... im playing POE since 23 jan,12 hours a day,for fun and for life..
  70. Oct 26, 2013
    Have been playing games vor over 20 years. This is one of the very best games i ever played. Very balanced, very outlasting in regard to endgame content ans so on. An dthe best thing is that the developers will add content continously. You really should give it a shot or a hack+slay
  71. Oct 25, 2013
    The best ARPG game so far, unseen depth and diversity and constant updates, some completely reinventing the game and at the very least the vast majority of the builds in it. 10/10
  72. Oct 25, 2013
    One of the best ARPGs I have ever played. Complex passive tree, deep combat, many variations, polished graphics, amazing developers. It's everything you could possibly ever want from this sort of game and it's ALL F2P.
  73. Oct 11, 2013
    Anyone who enjoyed Diablo 2 (especially the Median XL mods) will find the game they have been looking for in Path of Exile.

There are many things that make PoE great, but the one that stands out the most is build diversity. You can make literally dozens of characters that all have real, functionally different play-styles. If you get bored of one character, there's always another build to try (whether based on Keystone passives, or unique items). Finding combinations of passives, skill gems, support gems, and unique items that work well together is the core strategy aspect of this game. Oh, it's also FREE and (starting October 23) will be available (for FREE) on Steam. The game will continue to receive meaningful updates (skills, uniqes, new playable areas, etc.) *frequently* for the forseeable future (1 year+ guaranteed).

The negative aspects are as other reviewers have mentioned: non-negligible desynchronization issues sometimes causes unpreventable deaths, and issues with item crafting feeling more like gambling than upgrading. The developers have already stated that they do not like the current crafting system, and have hinted that the system will be changed or even overhauled, whereas the desync issue is their biggest headache and may not be entirely fixable based on how their server/client system currently operates. These problems, among a small selection of minor issues, are why I did not give it a 10/10.

Regardless, as a long time ARPG player, I can safely say that PoE has set the bar higher than all who have come before.
  74. Oct 26, 2013
    better than diablo,
    +great economy
    +great skill diversity
    +superb skill tree
    +great enemy abilities
    it is awesome in anyway

the only negative is the game engine itself ,still some desyncs here and there.
  75. Oct 23, 2013
    The fact that this game is free and isn't pay to win makes me confused as to how major publishers get away with the stuff they release sometimes... Anyways, Path of Exile for me is the game that Diablo 3 should have been and for that I say thank you grinding gears!
  76. Oct 23, 2013
    This game might not be very newbie friendly at first, but when you really get into it it provides such diversity and compares to no other ARPG game out there. All of the best features from Diablo 2 are used here and so much greatness has been added. Is not, and will never be a P2W game, just fantastic. The graphics are dark and gritty, not bad; some people are just used to more colourfulThis game might not be very newbie friendly at first, but when you really get into it it provides such diversity and compares to no other ARPG game out there. All of the best features from Diablo 2 are used here and so much greatness has been added. Is not, and will never be a P2W game, just fantastic. The graphics are dark and gritty, not bad; some people are just used to more colourful environments.
    And you do NOT need to spend your time trading for good items if you don't want to, just play the game.
  77. Oct 23, 2013
    This is the first aRPG in a long time that takes some risks and really pushes out some fresh ideas. The currency system, the passive skill tree, the cosmetic items, the different leagues with different mods, guilds, and a constant barrage of updates from a developer that truly cares about its player base.

Regardless of your views, there's no arguing that this game is a milestone in

Regardless of your views, there's no arguing that this game is a milestone in free-to-play games as well as aRPG's. Path of Exile is a game to watch out for that will have a player base that will last for years to come.
  78. Oct 23, 2013
    This is such a great game. It has an absolutely massive and in-depth skill tree, lots of different skills you can use and alter with support gems. there are several leagues with different rules to keep the game fresh as well. All this and you can play for absolutely free. What more could you want?
  79. Oct 24, 2013
    Diablo 3 was my first ARPG. For some reason I never tried ARGP games in my long gaming history. I thought that Diablo 3 was already quite entertaining for the first 100 hours or so, but after that I got extremely bored.

Then I tried PoE, mainly because people were comparing it with the 'legendary' Diablo 2 all the time. I'm now about 100 hours into the game, but I still have the feeling the I haven't discovered the biggest part of the game. PoE has completely taken me by surprise with its extreme details in gameplay and gamemechanis, its dark gritty atmosphere, and its thrilling (hardcore) gameplay.

I will not be suprised if I still will be playing this game from time to time after several years. Since only a few games have achieved this in 20 years of PC gaming, this game deserves a 10 rating. I have considered bringing this 10 down to 9 because of the desync problems that occur sometime, but I must admit that all online games I have played had their own specific technical problems. So the desync is more related to the current of technology then the game itself. Therefore the 10 is well deserved.
  80. Oct 24, 2013
    This is everything diablo 3 should have been and more. The skill tree is huge, I would call it the skill forest, great endgame maps and most of all, it's FREE!
  81. Oct 26, 2013
    I don't often play video games. When I do, it's either an RPG, Tetris, or a random indie game that was on sale. I've tried to pick up others, but I'm slow to learn and need my hand held most of the way. The only other aRPG I've ever played is Bastion.

So yes, I'm a filthy casual, but I feel like I should boost this game's rating anyway because no one I know plays it and I think I'm in love. Really. It's engaging, fast-paced and free-to-play, not to mention addictive! My only quarrel is that it's a bit hard to pick up. There's no help bar as far as I can tell, so you basically have to learn by doing. That's fine as I said, I'm a slow learner, so if I can figure it out, anyone can. Great game thus far, would recommend.
  82. Oct 27, 2013
    PoE is really the Diablo 3 game I had hoped for.
    The business model is not at all in the way, and the game has much depth. The game also allows you to really chose what you want to be.

I haven't really gotten into the story, but overall atmosphere makes up for this.
  83. Oct 23, 2013
    There's some people complaining about the economy in PoE. Let me tell you why they are wrong in short and simple terms.

Diablo 3 (yes, ofcourse it has to be mentioned) had the Auction House, problem with this was if you didn't play for a week or two all your stuff usually fell in price drastically making you useless. Having to stay up at night or set alarms to try and win auctions. PoE

PoE economics are based on a lot of currencies, the thing about these is that they are ALL USED in the crafting and usage of everyday items/maps in the game. What results is that there is hardly any inflation. Where in Diablo 3 your 1 million gold was worth a lot at launch and now useless, my items and currencies I got over half a year ago in this game are still largely the same in worth.

What this evolves to is that PoE has a stable economy that lets people play for a few hours, days, or whichever, leave the game, and return later and still feel engaged and fresh! You always feel like you are making progress towards the bigger hole.

As for the gameplay, remember in Diablo II how people could come up with these quarky builds and make them work?! I remember a duel-wield potion-throwing barbarian. Now in Diablo III there was nothing of the sort, pretty much every class had a "best" build (at least in HC).
    In PoE there are nearly limitless builds and combinations, every class can do everything.

Want to be a two-hand melee witch (the frail magic caster)? You can make it work.
    Want to be a huge maurader specialized on traps or minions? Go for it!

HOWEVER; There are some drawbacks to this, you usually need some tips on how to build a good character (the forums, reddit etc) and you should be prepared that during some levels of your build you will be pretty bad, just like in Diablo II there is a dead zone before your plan goes into fruition.

That said, this is the spiritual and evolved successor to Diablo II in my opinion.
    Is it perfect? Not at all. But it's worth giving a try, especially with friends
  84. Oct 28, 2013
    PoE is the arpg that Blizzard should have made but failed badly with D3. We get the gritty killing and looting that we all expect from an arpg, with great animation, sound effects, background music, etc., PoE has it all. The 7 character classes combined with a passive skill tree with over 1400 nodes ensures an almost infinite number of builds are possible. PoE does take awhile to getPoE is the arpg that Blizzard should have made but failed badly with D3. We get the gritty killing and looting that we all expect from an arpg, with great animation, sound effects, background music, etc., PoE has it all. The 7 character classes combined with a passive skill tree with over 1400 nodes ensures an almost infinite number of builds are possible. PoE does take awhile to get comfortable with the pace of client input to server response timing but once you do it quickly becomes intuitive and easy. The concept of using spell gems that socket into gear with links that allow additional support gems to enhance the base gems function makes for wonderful combinations of physical and elemental attacks. This arpg actually has a story to tell (unlike D3 or TL2) that further enhances your total immersion into the world of Wraeclast that you have been exiled to for your crimes. GGG is stating a goal of new minor updates every 2 weeks, major new content every 4 months, and a new act every 9 to 12 months, so long term arpg playing is there in spades. If you got burned out of D3 or hate the cartoony look of TL2 then you owe yourself a favor and should take a serious look at this free to play arpg. Highly recommended for new and old arpg fans alike. Two thumbs up.

ps. This game can not be judged in only a few weeks of play. The real fun is knowing that this arpg is going to take time to master and the journey you take from newbie to mastering PoE is a major part of the fun. So don't dismiss this arpg jewel after only a few hours of playing. Remember, raw diamonds are unimpressive looking too until they are polished.
  85. Oct 29, 2013
    Pure brilliant game. Extremely deep and extensive replay value. As people write; what Diablo 3 never became and what all Diablo II-players really wanted. Will play this for ages just as I did with D2.
  86. Oct 2, 2014
    There have been ARPGs that charge a full retail price of $40 that don't come close to the quality of Path of Exile. If you like Diablo and other Hack n Slashers, look no further. I honestly would vote this as the closest competitor to Diablo since Diablo's release.
  87. Oct 28, 2013
    Path of Exile is a dreamsend for the cerebral ARPG player. However, the drawback of having the decisions you make during character building matter in combat is: the decisions you make during character build matter in combat. If you want to just dive into PoE and proceed directly to the slaying, the game will punish your subpar build mercilessly, perhaps not by repeated deaths but insteadPath of Exile is a dreamsend for the cerebral ARPG player. However, the drawback of having the decisions you make during character building matter in combat is: the decisions you make during character build matter in combat. If you want to just dive into PoE and proceed directly to the slaying, the game will punish your subpar build mercilessly, perhaps not by repeated deaths but instead the boredom of an accidentally self-imposed lack of combat options, leading to static and boring play.

Which means: PoE is a brilliant game for a niche audience, very similar to Dark Souls, but not well-suited for the casual audience, and thus decidedly not for everyone.

Pros:
    Amazing systems for meaningful choice in creating builds and maximizing skill effectiveness
    Innovative "goldless" currency and crafting system
    A variety of play modes, from hardcore to 4-month ladder to PvP to 1-hour race events
    Lore and music are simultaneously excellent and non-invasive
    Astonishing replay value due to a variety of viable options
    Cons:
    The game demands commitment from players to achieve even moderate success
    Failure usually leads to long periods of boredom before eventual, often equally boring death
    Lackluster netcode leads to desyncs
    Lack on in-game trading tools leads to reliance on forums and third-party sites
  88. Oct 28, 2013
    F2P done wright, no pay 2 win, it have something from all great arpg's, but reminds me a lot of Diablo 2,
    will recommend it to all that loves rpg's. So happy gaming...
  89. Nov 5, 2013
    In terms of getting the best value for money, this is probably as good as it gets, since path of exile offers a game compelling enough to rival triple A titles of the same genre, and completely free. Upgrades obtained through donations and microtransactions are purely aesthetical and have no advantage over regular gear, so..... that means it's really "free". Tackling the gameplay aspect,In terms of getting the best value for money, this is probably as good as it gets, since path of exile offers a game compelling enough to rival triple A titles of the same genre, and completely free. Upgrades obtained through donations and microtransactions are purely aesthetical and have no advantage over regular gear, so..... that means it's really "free". Tackling the gameplay aspect, it plays really well, it offers deep character development via the huuuuge passive skill tree (a la Final Fantasy X) and a wide array of active skill gems, wich level up as you pass by wrecking havoc. This is one of the defining features of how skills are handleled to you in this game, in other games "skill gems" offer passive bonuses, while active skills are gained through character leveling via skill tree; Path of exile goes the other way around, giving the skill tree purely passive bonuses, while active skills must be earned through gems obtained quests or random drops, and socketed into specific gear in order for it to be active. It's a bold strategy, and one that may not convince a lot of players, but it's functional overall, and even more importand: it's addictive and engaging (the only quality action RPGs need to succeed).
    Character classes are interesting, they have a particular charisma, being gritty and enchanting at the same time, with fancy names like Maraunder (instead of the generic title of barbarian), Shadow, etc. 6 initial clases that are aligned to 1 or 2 of the main stats: Strenght, Dexterity and Intelligence. All classes have access to all passive skills in the skill tree, with the only difference being the point at which they start. That means that role playing is not completely restricted, with options for melee characters to have magic and viceversa. It's up to you to decide if this feature is a strong point because of the freedom it provides, or a weak spot in how it turns things a little bit generic.
    Graphically, the game is the bomb. It hits all the aesthetic and enviromental points that made Diablo II the dark gothic RPG it was, and in that sense, Path of Exile looks more Diablo than Diablo III will ever look like. Enemy design is good, although they tend to recicle previous models, and levels are really big and intrincate.
    The only gripe I have with the game is the lag....... it's really bad at some points. I didn't take into account this factor into the score, since I'm not sure if the problem is their server or my connection, but you can be certain I'm not alone in this one. The game has a bad tendency to "ultra" lag, making an unexpected pause for a few minutes, after which you find yourself killed by a miriad of enemies that weren't there before. But the most annoying tendency is the fact that the game just disconects every once in a while; log in again and you'll find yourself in the last town you visited, with your current progress in a dungeon ranging from partially to completely lost. In the best case scenario, the map will stay the same (enemies killed, chests looted, map discovered) and you'll just have to walk to where you left off; in the worst case scenario, the map will be randomized and EVERYTHING...... map discovery, enemy position and loot will be respawned like if you'd never set foot on the place, which is complete BS. If it happens to you in a multilevel dungeon prepare to ragequit, you've been warned!!
    This last aspect might deduct points for some of you, but in my view this game is a work of love, an art piece made for the sake of art, not gain. It deserves to be celebrated even in it's excentricities and faults, and in that regard it's one of the rarest gems, even if it's not the most polished one.
  90. Oct 25, 2013
    This game is amazing, I haven't spent this much time playing a game since WoW launched. The depth of the skilltree and ability to create any type of character you want is amazing. Highly recommend this game, and hey it's free to boot
  91. Oct 25, 2013
    The graphics very nice for an aRPG and the overall presentation is A+. I've been gaming for over 30 years, and not many games actually pull me in and make me want to play them for more than a few hours. However the fresh take on ARPGs, coupled with the original ideas, complex skill/spell tree, and difficulty of the game made me keep coming back for more. You can basically forget D3 everThe graphics very nice for an aRPG and the overall presentation is A+. I've been gaming for over 30 years, and not many games actually pull me in and make me want to play them for more than a few hours. However the fresh take on ARPGs, coupled with the original ideas, complex skill/spell tree, and difficulty of the game made me keep coming back for more. You can basically forget D3 ever existed and consider PoE as the true successor to Diablo 2. The maps are very large, and sometimes it can take quite a long time to find the path through a dungeon. The bosses are not a cake walk, and will take a few tries and some thinking and planning to kill.

Overall, 10/10 because this game has really impressed me in a day in age that games usually don't because they are so shallow. I feel bad giving it a 10/10 because most people just do it because they are fanboys or the game is overhyped, but PoE really is a true gem.
  92. Oct 25, 2013
    Absolutely phenomenal game! This is what I have been craving since Diablo 2. I was severely disappointed by Diablo 3. It was dumbed down to the point of an Activision title. Path of Exile feeds the nostalgia feeling I have been chasing for years.

The game is in constant production by an active game developer. While small, they have created a game far superior to their massive opponent, Blizzard. They began production with 10 people, in comparison to the thousands Blizzard had. I have been blown away by how deep this game is.

The skill tree is reminiscent of the Final Fantasy sphere grid. You have skill gems which are altered by support gems, as well as trigger gems. Instead of the ever deflating value of gold found in similar games, Path of Exile uses a barter system with incredible randomization, creating a complex and evolving economy.

Characters are not limited to their said class. You can expand into passives of other characters, making builds seemingly unlimited. The dark and gritty atmosphere is beautifully reminiscent of Diablo 2. I won't give any spoilers, if you were a Diablo 2 addict, this game is for you.

While it is free to play, it is not pay to win. You have the option of buying cosmetic items to make your character look cool. If you're a pack rat, you can also buy more stash tabs.

Don't listen to the reviews upset about end game. While there are great end battles, the developer plans to release new content to expand on the story line every six or so months. However, to keep you busy in the meantime, you find maps you can randomize and play with your friends.

The only thing Path of Exile is lacking from my point of view, is the cinematic videos scene in the Diablo series. While I enjoyed those, you can't expect such production to come from an indie game developer.

I hope you give the game a try. If you enjoy the game, consider purchasing some cosmetic items to support future content for this great game!
  93. Oct 26, 2013
    Path of Exile is probably the best game I have ever played. After the disappointment of Diablo 3 I went back to PoE and was immediately hooked by the league races, the seasons and the balance. I want to play a game where my choices matter and I have to make decisions that have little effects but add up over time.

In a nutshell what I like most about playing Path of Exile is that every

In a nutshell what I like most about playing Path of Exile is that every node I click on the passive tree is semi-permanent and is a balancing act where I am fighting to keep my stats up, get the keystones I need and not forgetting my defence and my health. This is what I found missing from Diablo 3.
  94. Oct 25, 2013
    Truly one of the best ARPG games to have ever been created. Awesome skills tree, great features and unique concepts. Unfortunately this game has one huge drawback. The game is online only. While this is not necessarily a negative thing, Path of Exile suffers from terrible latency and desync issues (especially if you live in a country which is not near a server). What makes it worse is thatTruly one of the best ARPG games to have ever been created. Awesome skills tree, great features and unique concepts. Unfortunately this game has one huge drawback. The game is online only. While this is not necessarily a negative thing, Path of Exile suffers from terrible latency and desync issues (especially if you live in a country which is not near a server). What makes it worse is that the game is quite intense and often even a small lag spike or desync can get you killed. Certain bosses have abilities that can 1 shot most characters, these are easily avoidable unless your latency is over 200ms. If your latency is too high you cannot fight certain bosses without a party.
    So to sum it up PoE is one of the best games I have played in years plagued by one of the worst ideas games have had in years (online only). A simple addition of offline play or more servers around the world could easily make this a 9 or 10 out of 10 game.
  95. Oct 26, 2013
    Path of Exile is one of the best ARPG ever made because of the new mechanics and It's not like diablo 3 that you need to pay to win. This game is like diablo 2 but enhanced imho. I played 50 hours in steam and I still want to play more :D
  96. Oct 28, 2013
    This game is truth. This game is light. This game is hope and love and freedom and peace in a world beset by dishonour, iniquity and dark portents. This game shows us that the triumph of the human soul is all but inevitable.

This game is also really fun.
  97. Oct 27, 2013
    Fantastic ARPG that has definitely earned its high user score, I downloaded immediately after seeing the massive skill tree on the trailer but the game really sunk its hooks in once I figured out how the skill system actually works. No gold or monetary system also makes for an excellent dynamic that I have never seen in a game like this before. There is also no aspect of pay to win itFantastic ARPG that has definitely earned its high user score, I downloaded immediately after seeing the massive skill tree on the trailer but the game really sunk its hooks in once I figured out how the skill system actually works. No gold or monetary system also makes for an excellent dynamic that I have never seen in a game like this before. There is also no aspect of pay to win it seems, you get what you play for, and for a game with a pvp element included I have to say massive props to the devs for sticking to that! Free to play. You'd be mad not to get this gem of a game if you're into the ARPG scene. Expand
  98. Oct 26, 2013
    Greatest Hack and slash game ive ever played. Give it a try, but take your time with your judgment. Its BIG!!!! and COMPLEX! You can build near limitless different builds (and i dont mean it just with the passive points). You have TON of loot (and nearly everything is viable), you have TON of skills (they add every 3 weeks 2-3 new skills), you have TON of Uniques (every 3 weeks they add aGreatest Hack and slash game ive ever played. Give it a try, but take your time with your judgment. Its BIG!!!! and COMPLEX! You can build near limitless different builds (and i dont mean it just with the passive points). You have TON of loot (and nearly everything is viable), you have TON of skills (they add every 3 weeks 2-3 new skills), you have TON of Uniques (every 3 weeks they add a bunch of new uniqs), its free to play AND IT IS NOT PAY TO WIN! The item shop is just for cosmetic effects! Give it a try guys U will miss something BIG out Expand
  99. Oct 26, 2013
    This game is the true diablo 3. GGG really have put a big gaming company such as blizzard to shame. Everything about it is amazing... From the core mechanics to the boss fights, endgame etc... GGG have taken a massive on diablo 3.
  100. Oct 27, 2013
    Just stumbled across this piece of art while checking metacritic.
    Played for several hours now and really enjoy it. It has that great dark feeling, as the setting is really well chosen, interesting and new (to me). I just love being able to game a real badass. (Not someone who got captured and didn't do anything...)
    Hack 'n Slay at it's best. Also fine that you're not forced to game
    Just stumbled across this piece of art while checking metacritic.

Hack 'n Slay at it's best.

Also fine that you're not forced to game it 'multiplayer' (my zombie minions are enough company to me ;))

So, if you like hack 'n slay, want it diablo-style but diffrerent, you really should give it a try. I mean... hey, it's free.

1. May 9, 2014
    Grinding Gear Games has created something special here, and given it gratis to the world.
  2. Mar 11, 2014
    Hack & slash games are addictive because they follow a simple formula: kill, kill and kill some more. Path of Exile is no different in this regard. During your quest in the perilous continent of Wraeclast you need to slay thousands and thousands of monsters but it never gets boring because there are a plenty of fresh ideas like the very vast skill system and barter-based economy that differentiate it from other similar games. But it's not a perfect game. The story is weak and the difficulty level is too low in the beginning. [Dec 2013]
  3. Jan 13, 2014
    An exceptionally generous free-to-play action-rPG. What it lacks in punch it makes up for in depth and value for money.