Patrician IV PC

• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Sep 24, 2010
6.5

1. Apr 1, 2012
    This game is the same as "Patrician III", better graphics (now in 3d) but nothing new, the trade sistem has been improved (a little) but the ship battles now are worse than in previous version. I think that it could be done better.
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    I fine this game to be a lot of fun, once you find out how to play it. The biggest problem with this game is the lack of a tutorial; However, if you mash the buttons and find out what does what, and read off of the patrician IV forums you will learn how the game works. I know that is a lot of extra work there but you can have a lot of fun playing this game as well.
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    i bought this game for $7.50 on steam sale and have played it for 16 hrs. I did not play pat3 before this so cant really compare. I will say the first 10 hrs or so are fun. Mainly it revolves around buy low sail to another port and sell high. Learning where market inefficiencies are (too much wine in loc A and too little in loc B) can be quite fun and rewarding.

Unfortunately, sea

Unfortunately, sea combat is entirely forgettable. Once pirates started showing up in any numbers, the game became really unfun. Any flash game on the interwebs is more tactical than sea combat in this game. If you have 1 ship you can literrallly sail circles around any number of enemy ships and shoot them to pieces. It just takes a while. And after you do it once, there is no reason to do it again. AND auto resolving suffers from the "pure math" problems of the rest of the game where biggest ships with more guns always beat littler ships with less guns.

What this means is there is exactly 1 way to optimize things and 1 way to do combat and now i am stuck washing, rinsing and repeating.
  4. May 22, 2011
    The UI design isn't very good and the game gets repetitive, but that means I played it long enough to discover the flaws. If you like empire-building games, this will work for you.

1. Aug 8, 2011
    Patrician IV is most certainly the best game in the series. It triumphs with a vast array of options, better audio and visuals and atmosphere. I have no doubt that the game will turn out to be a success - fans of the series can buy it without hestation but everyone else should think twice.
  2. PC PowerPlay
    Feb 11, 2011
    Clearly isn't the game for everyone. [Feb 2011, p.68]
  3. Jan 20, 2011
    A game dedicated to pure strategy fans. There's a lack of options and multiplayer modes though, and some more polish could've done good to the whole experience.