7.8

1. Feb 5, 2012
    This game is very, VERY good. It is one of the best top-down shooters I have ever played. The game's core mechanics involves grenades. When you level up via collecting experience cubes found in boxes, you get to choose between two random grenades. Each time you play through and each time you level up, your choices for grenades will be different. The mechanic for grenades involves throwing it, then detonating it afterwards. Some grenades require you to aim them, others might give you an advantage instead of harming the enemy, etc. Although beating the game takes only a couple of hours, the fact that all levels are randomly generated adds to the replayability. Each time you beat a level, you get to pick from a set of 3-5 other levels. You can pick only the easiest levels to breeze through or only the hardest for a challenge. If one of your mercenaries dies, you get a new, lower level merc at the end. The game punishes you by losing not by completely ending the game, but by making it harder to progress. On the level where that merc died, you will lose one grenade slot as well as the firepower he provided. Furthermore, your new merc will start at level 0, making him weak and therefore more likely to die. It is also worth mentioning that not only is this game made by a single person (alias: RickMakeGame) but it is also his debut game in the indie setting. The soundtrack is also amazing. All in all, since it's only 9.99$ on Steam, I highly recommend this game. Expand
  2. Feb 4, 2012
    This game is terrible. I give it a 2 instead of 0 because it is a complete game without any bugs and it has a professional apperance. Everything else about this game is boring as hell: the shooting, the enemies, the rooms, the objectives. I have played at least 10 indie games on steam, this one was pretty terrible considering the cost. If you have any reservations about buy this game just pass on it cuz the odds are pretty high that you will be let down. Expand
  3. Feb 10, 2012
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. Don't even bother reading a long review, just get this game now. Everything about it is perfect. Great game, great price, made by a single man, what's not to love?
  4. Feb 20, 2012
    Piece of great retro fun. Cannon Fodder brought back to life! Unfortunately, you'll finish it in 2 - 3 h. I know, it's one-man project and Rich promised updates .. but still Pineapple Smash Crew lacks features. There's only one game mode, no difficulty settings, no achivements. On top of that - only three mission modes, only ONE type of boss to fight... Yes, i had my fun, i find this game totally amazing, but we need MORE. For now, i guess it's hardly worth the price.. Only if you're retro games fan, you'll find it amusing. Conclusion - 7/10. This grade is a bit too high, because i love the concept... But i believe it will be updated and totally worth it. Go Rich go ! Expand
  5. Feb 10, 2012
    Wow. Just... wow. There is nothing this game does poorly. Nothing at all. Plus, it was made by just one person, AND it was his debut game. It only makes the game so much better.
  6. Mar 9, 2012
    I love the whole retro feeling of the game. The graphic style is really unique and the music fits perfect.
    I like the concept behind the it, it reminds me a little bit of Space Hulk.
    But the game needs more variation like more types of enemies with special abilities for example.
    Higher difficulties and other missions or game modes would also add more to the game.
    I see a lot of potential
    in Pineapple Smash Crew (or a possible 2nd part). Expand
  7. Apr 3, 2012
    The only real complaint I have about this game is the gameplay gets a little repetitive. Aside from that, the gameplay is very smooth, Syphus made a solid soundtrack, and the game is generally well done. There is a leveling-up system as well. I'm surprised the critic reviews were less favorable, but I highly recommend this to those who enjoy arcade-style shooters, or retro games like Gauntlet.
  8. Apr 25, 2012
    Rich games brings forth a well executed arcade title. The music is decent and the gameplay entertaining, even though it is kind of repetetive. So you just blast your way through random generated spaceships. Yes, it is pretty short but you have to take it as what is is: An arcade title. Also there wil be updates, as mentioned by Rich Games. It is worth a look anyways.
  9. Dec 13, 2012
    Incredibly fun little simple game full of win. Well designed, well executed, well played Rich!

I hesitated before buying this title; there
  10. Apr 9, 2013
    An overall great game that will keep you interested for a good while. The controls are really tight and the visuals have a retro look that doesn't seem like the kind that's simply an excuse for poor quality. The gameplay mechanics work well and the variety in grenades is quite good. Not to mention that they are fun as hell to use! Some of my only gripes with this game are ones that are pretty big. For one the variety of missions is really poor and the environments can feel very samey after the first two or three hours into it. And while the mission objectives are mixed up with random boss encounters, there's almost no variety in boss design as I've dumped at least four hours into this game and have only found that they only have very slight differences I.E: recolours and more guns strapped onto them. But for the price of 10$ on steam, I'd say that this is a very complete and fun package and I'd recommend buying it for fans of top down shooter and roguelike fans alike. Expand

1. Apr 28, 2012
    Indie-game Pineapple Smash Crew tries to be a bit too old-school, and therefore lacks innovation and an interesting or challenging gameplay experience.
  2. Apr 16, 2012
    Pineapple Smash Crew's weapons are by far its strongest point, an arsenal well engineered enough to support a much more intense game. Here they're wasted on a shooter that starts slowly and never speeds up, with solid foundations but nothing on top.
  3. Mar 21, 2012
    If you like to set your own goals and don't need a high-score table to know you're having fun, then Pineapple Smash Crew is well worth the $10. [May 2012, p.81]