7.0

1. Dec 1, 2012
    Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and dieFrustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for. Expand
  2. Dec 2, 2012
    This game is massively overrated, this game is rushed as hell, giving the devs less time to weave out the massive imbalances and bugs. The RPGs are equivalent to Nerf Water guns, the Max is unfair to play as and against, players are complete **** it's just a mess. Though the maps are nice, and what is does well, it does really well, not to mention it's a guilty pleasure.
  3. Nov 23, 2012
    This is a game with a lot of unrealised promise, which suffers at the hands of a new community.
    I love big, class based FPS games, I even loved MAG, but its pretty difficult to love PS2. Its scale is awesome, but you are unlikely to see most of the map given the spawns and hotpoints tend to be at small locations many Km apart. Its gunplay is pretty poor, guns are uninspiring and bland with no impactful feel.

There are youtube guides out there that state that the most important aspect of this game is logistics. This is true, the most useful people are usually the ones flying mobile spawn points but they are far above the action. As such, people rarely fly the mobile spawn points because the most useful part of the game is also incredibly boring.

The other problem this game suffers from is that there is no sense of achievement, even when you capture an entire region of the map.

The community at the minute is still adjusting, so while it may get better in the future at the minute the 10% of people that arent playing snipers are running round wildly with LMGs.

The game is incredibly demanding on PCs due to its scale, and still has a lot of lag and bugs in the EU servers. The concept behind the game is excellent, the execution at the moment is just incredibly bland. In addition, for a game with this much stuff and scale, there is no real tutorial to speak of. A few notes exist in the in the pause/map screen but at the start of the game you are pretty much dropped in a warzone and told 'GO!' leaving you puzzled asking "go where? do what?" until you die.
  4. Nov 25, 2012
    The Game:

Planetside 2 has the potential to be a great game marketed as a Freep2Play game there are a huge number of issues and if you really want every weapon you will have to shell out a whopping 400 USD for every weapon + subscription that costs you 15$ a month. Air: huge pay2win advantage (People who pay real money get rocket pods and AA rockets which are both overpowered hard)
    The Game:

Tanks: mild pay2win (Regular tanks are hugely competetive and pay2win is almost non existant here.)
    Infantry: mild to high (Free2play guns are super effective but you do gain some advantages with paid guns)

All in all i won't be playing this for a long time because it's based on such a blatant model,I mean seriously 7$ for a gun.

The GamePlay: Planetside 2 has it's charm,it's a fun game I admit but there's a big number of glitches,none of the game-breaking just annoying at times.The class system is well thought out and the upgrades are reasonable.The maps are huge and it's fairly balanced with some discrepancies here and there.

Conclusion:

All in all a descent game 7/10 but with the pay2win model it's really not the game for the intermediate-hardcore gamer this is a game for 9-5 person who has 2-3 hours to play and a lot of spare cash (kids,job people)
    As a hardcore gamer I can say this is not a game for me,but I recommend you to try it and if you have an extra 400$ over a year to really enjoy it. I prefer my games in the 50$ area.
  5. Nov 21, 2012
    Had great potential. Seems to have very bad optimization for Amd processors. Very low frame rates and game looks blurry even with settings maxed.
    I'm sure that it's a decent game, but it is unplayable on a mid range desktop.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    4/10 has potential but is just frustrating. No orientation or clear objective, nothing to acclimatize the player to the controls or HUD, just pick a class and shoot things. My experience of the game consisted of being killed by massively over-levelled players with better equipment who I couldn't even touch because starter equipment I had did as much damage as a water pistol. Constantly4/10 has potential but is just frustrating. No orientation or clear objective, nothing to acclimatize the player to the controls or HUD, just pick a class and shoot things. My experience of the game consisted of being killed by massively over-levelled players with better equipment who I couldn't even touch because starter equipment I had did as much damage as a water pistol. Constantly re-spawning and dying is not my idea of fun, thanks. Expand
  7. Jan 3, 2013
    This game lures everyone in with it's free-to-play style only to force (to stay competitive) the spending of money for "side-grades". Which are really either useless or a significant upgrade to give an advantage over new players. With the lack of good item descriptions or a community wiki the stuff you pay for may or may not be what you expected, not too mention most purchases fair greaterThis game lures everyone in with it's free-to-play style only to force (to stay competitive) the spending of money for "side-grades". Which are really either useless or a significant upgrade to give an advantage over new players. With the lack of good item descriptions or a community wiki the stuff you pay for may or may not be what you expected, not too mention most purchases fair greater than $7.00 which is outrageous. If you were to buy everything in this game you would end up spending nearly $350 doing so. The subscription feature at $15 month is barely worth it as well, you get a priority que, 500SC and some xp and resource boosts. Your money would be better spent on blackjack and hookers.

The game is constantly changing and still feels like a beta. As long as "x" amount of the community complains to Smedley and friends, there tends to be a change in the upcoming patch just for them. The hacking is apparent within the first 10 minutes of jumping into the game. The combination of free-to-play and the ability to simply use throwaway email accounts without the need for any other authentication attracts trolls from all bridges inside the internet.

The worst part of this game? There is barely any story or character development. It's almost as if someone spent an hour at most thinking about the lore and story of this game and decided that's what will be released. There is very little point to the game as well, let me summarize this. Launch game>>pod into somewhere>>farm xp>>farm xp>>farm some more xp>>about a day or two later>>unlock item>>rinse and repeat for months>>unlock all items>> ???. You'll quickly find out (especially in voice chat) how obsessive people become about unlocking the ultravortexcannon3000 for their hoopty that really the only thing that keeps people playing is the need to unlock more and more just to try and be the "best" or have the higher advantage. The game preys on the player's materialistic mindset. No one seems to care about base captures or defending, but rather KDR and just plain out kills and XP. Even capturing an entire continent (somehow the community's self-created climax of the game) feels completely pointless. The developers continue to produce more weapons and items (again "side-grades") to keep the players into the never-ending gotta catch em all mentality. Outfits, or guilds or clans or whatever you want to call them... Yes they can fix some of the above problems, but they can also create some of their own. Most tend to shy away from fun and get a little too serious. You'll find that out quickly when 15 old Billy gets home from the school and and logs into his squad leader account only to turn into a complete power-hungry douche. Billy will then give your squad orders to go defend the bottom corner of the map that hasn't seen action since the release of the game for hours on end. Oh and don't you dare question his authority or he'll make sure to start yelling "clear coms" as he's trying to talk to his dad about what their neglected mother is making for dinner. Who says "clear coms" anyways? "Standby" sounds a million times better and that's coming from someone who works with communications and radio on a day to day basis.

The community for the game as a whole really just tends to complain to oblivion. You can see this by logging into any of the popular message boards and half of any given page will start out with the titles "Suggestion", "Bug", "Why", "When" or "PSA"... Hell look at me, I was part of the community for the last three months and all I do is complain now. Prime example. Good day.
  8. Nov 21, 2012
    Bugs, screen flickering, graphical distortions and lag issues make this an horrible experience. This game feels rushed and unfinished which seems strange because of the lengthy beta.

I will try it out again over a month i think. Maybe after some patching up these issues will be resolved.
  9. Feb 22, 2013
    A brilliant game at it's core with potential unlike any other. But as with all games, they're only as good as their worst. In Planetside 2's case, this is the controls, gun accuracy, SoE's illegal billing department, laughable iron crosshairs that miss like the gun of your barrel is bent, abundant vehicle HP and overall balance between the three different factions. As it was with P1,A brilliant game at it's core with potential unlike any other. But as with all games, they're only as good as their worst. In Planetside 2's case, this is the controls, gun accuracy, SoE's illegal billing department, laughable iron crosshairs that miss like the gun of your barrel is bent, abundant vehicle HP and overall balance between the three different factions. As it was with P1, Terran is still the most overplayed faction to date with no xp consequences, allowing the one with an advantage achieve even greater boosts through zerging tactics. But one of the flaws that stands out the most to me is the Terran guns. All of them have an insane rate of fire which either brings out two frequent scenarios: 1. Your gun shoots so fast to the point that the server cannot keep up and 2-4 of your bullets will not be affected by the initial recoil, leaving a gun that would normally not be able to hit anything past 3 yards suddenly gain the accuracy of a sniper rifle. Or. 2. Your gun shoots so fast that the proper amount of bullets is either increased or lessened, often with a rubber-band effect, causing a yoyo effect in one's DPS. Stack these along with the constant overall lag with hitboxes and hackers (which is to be expected in a game such as PS2) and your shooting experience will be ruined most of the time. Going back to balancement, in the beta, MAX units could effectively take down aircrafts with dual AA gun attachments if they came too close or didn't spontaneously move. What did they do to resort this? Remove the weapon completely from the entire beta, relaunch a 80% hamstered version into the release and only allow 1 per arm which you'll now have to purchase for an insane amount of in-game money. All because of a whining community on the forums, crying that their ultralight scouting airplane got shot down as it was flying a few meters above enemy towers. The situation is currently much the same, Sunderers for example, a transport/spawn vehicle require roughly 6-8 rocketlauncher hits before dying and it has no weakspots, be it rear or flank. A heavy assault unit can only carry 4-5 rockets at a time (with upgrades which also require you to pay for) which means if you happen to run into an enemy Sunderer, you will not be able to take it down without an ammo-refill, even with no opposition. The game is poorly thought through&executed and even more poorly managed. Even so I hope one day they will actually confront these issues and iron them out, not just leave them to fester like in P1 but alas, SoE has not gained the reputation of being massive incompetent cu nts for nothing. R.I.P, PS2. Expand
  10. Nov 21, 2012
    At first I was really blown away by the game, then things started to get really boring, seeing as how SOE makes it extremely difficult to get different gear without paying for it. So customization is out the window. There's nothing really much to the game that's different from any other fps, other than the fact that you have very big maps, but even Arma easily covers that area. Then, IAt first I was really blown away by the game, then things started to get really boring, seeing as how SOE makes it extremely difficult to get different gear without paying for it. So customization is out the window. There's nothing really much to the game that's different from any other fps, other than the fact that you have very big maps, but even Arma easily covers that area. Then, I step back even further from the battles, and I see that basically, there isn't much chance of a faction winning an entire map, so it's just an endless war. After playing for approximately 6 hours straight, I'm not really impressed. I'm not shelling out money to enjoy myself. Expand
  11. Nov 23, 2012
    When I first saw the trailer for Planetside 2 I thought "wow" this game must be awesome... and I am sure it has a great potential, so I am not going to talk about what others praise here about it, instead I'd like to tell you about my own experience with the game. Ok first of all I am aware there are video tutorials for this one, but I'm telling you get ready to suffer because the game isWhen I first saw the trailer for Planetside 2 I thought "wow" this game must be awesome... and I am sure it has a great potential, so I am not going to talk about what others praise here about it, instead I'd like to tell you about my own experience with the game. Ok first of all I am aware there are video tutorials for this one, but I'm telling you get ready to suffer because the game is not newbie friendly , so the first time you play you are launched in the middle of the field with nothing more but a small message like "good luck and kill your enemies" thing, so you are in this space pod falling down from above and the first thing that you will face as soon as you touch the ground is death... I thought to myself in disbelief "holly crap are there people camping spawn spots? how is this allowed on first place", btw something to notice is that I was killed by "generalfart" so that will also give you an idea of the kind of community thye are cooking there, I should have known better...so I started all over again and same bs... once you manage to get into an ally base you are not told what to do and whatsoever so this game sucks, is not fun to play , after all what did you expect from SOE and a freemium game, if you are into that sort of games (cashshop included) maybe this one is for you, otherwise move along and don't waste your time downloading and hd space installing this piece of crap Expand
  12. Dec 20, 2012
    Metacritic cutted my review in half , i won't bother rewriting all that text again .... -.-'
    I'm changing my score to 2: and adding more issues: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Can't get out of vechicle, magically disappearing vechicles, vechicles and soldiers falling through the ground, the game breaking bug - sunderer spawning doesn't work or works at random. Reviving doesn't work. Heavy assault shield not working. Poor explanation of anything for e.g. most people don't know that engeneer have 2 ammo pack, the second one is when you press 'B' befor deploying your turret. Fps dropping to 0.5 ( my computer isn't strong but i get the avarage of 30, 0.5 fps after loading the game is a bug). Poor performance on better computers. Spawns placed in a way that encourages spawn camping (with tanks.... pointing at the spawn.. usually there are about 50 tanks in such place... yes you shouldn't spawn there, that doesn't change the fact that 90% of spawns are located in such places that ->encourageleft arrow->backspaces(to erase /say command)->write /platoonsay, but that's not the case for for e.g. /squadsay that's sticky after typing it once. Whole text chat (e.g. channel switching) is counter-intuitive. If your teammate spots something (Q) most of the time it won't pop on neither your minimap nor HUD which makes the most important aspect of that feature broken, most of the time you don't know exactly where is enemy even everyone is spotting them. Infiltrating enemy base and spotting targets is useless for your teammates but will get you killed as enemy can hear you shouting. Only thing that spotting can be used for is spamming it in every direction to find a well hidden sniper. Deploy and redeploy button sometimes doesn't work. Drawing distance is different for infantry and vehicles thus most of the time when flying you're being shot by enemies your not even close to seeing. And that's just a peak of the mountain. (no longer valid score: Why 5 and not less?) If you want to know what are the good sides of this game read any other review. Just forget about the "so much teamplay" arguments because there is none. Just mindless zerg rush one spawnpoint -> one cover (so much people helping me, so much teamwork aka 30 snipers at the only hill that's not outside the drawing distance, that are most of the time killed by other clases or driven over by their own tanks). Ps. I think that metacritic should allow for at least some text formating... enters and such... you know
  13. Dec 14, 2012
    This really is one of the worst games I have ever played. This is not a snap decision about the **** interface and ugly graphics - I played for over 30 hours before writing this review. I was a fan of the first Planetside, and I play many other FPS games, so I wasn't unaware of what I was stepping into, and really wanted to love this game. It failed me, totally. What I found in droppingThis really is one of the worst games I have ever played. This is not a snap decision about the **** interface and ugly graphics - I played for over 30 hours before writing this review. I was a fan of the first Planetside, and I play many other FPS games, so I wasn't unaware of what I was stepping into, and really wanted to love this game. It failed me, totally. What I found in dropping into this game was a severely unpolished and unbalanced festival of frustration and endless active waiting.

If you like constantly running through empty expanses of nothing, only to be shot and killed in less than a second upon encountering an enemy (you had no idea was there) only to wait to respawn so you might do the same thing again, and again, and again, you will love Planetside 2. If you want an experience that is fulfilling in any other way, look elsewhere. It's free, but you get what you pay for. Everything about it is designed to make you want those real-money-guns just so that you might manage a kill or two, and the fun might actually start. They won't matter, you're still going to be randomly killed from any angle before you can locate an enemy. Ideally, you could play long enough to buy them with in game points, but in the 30 hours I played waiting for it to get good I only racked up 150 out of the THOUSAND I'd need for ONE GUN. Seriously, save your time, and definitely save your money, because you don't want to award that to this poor piece of f2p marketing garbage.
  14. Jan 2, 2013
    Has great potential but the gun play is completely lack luster, the skill ceiling is incredibly low, and if you want to win just get a tank and spawn camp capture points before moving with the zerg to do more of the same, at the same time the other factions will be doing this elsewhere on the map. If the game was less focused on vehicles and more focused on infantry combat then it wouldHas great potential but the gun play is completely lack luster, the skill ceiling is incredibly low, and if you want to win just get a tank and spawn camp capture points before moving with the zerg to do more of the same, at the same time the other factions will be doing this elsewhere on the map. If the game was less focused on vehicles and more focused on infantry combat then it would be a step in the right direction, but as it stands at the moment the game is fun for about a week then you realise it completely lacks any depth or skill. A shame, I had high hopes for this game. Oh; I also forgot there is no anti-cheat, and if you do get banned you just make a new account and change your ip, that is right they ip ban you, oh dear as if anybody who doesn't drool on themselves can't get past an ip ban :/ Expand
  15. Nov 28, 2012
    This game is a ripoff of the Battlefield franchise if it was to be turned into a MMO. You can get the MMO feeling every second you play this game. This game suffers from low production quality and poor optimization. Also I personally believe that the mircotransaction system is extremely tedious and annoying. I would rather pay the 110$ I payed for BF3 (+ premium) than waste my preciousThis game is a ripoff of the Battlefield franchise if it was to be turned into a MMO. You can get the MMO feeling every second you play this game. This game suffers from low production quality and poor optimization. Also I personally believe that the mircotransaction system is extremely tedious and annoying. I would rather pay the 110$ I payed for BF3 (+ premium) than waste my precious time on a game that is a huge uninspired world that has no goal and purpose to exist. Expand
  16. Dec 6, 2012
    Well after hours and hours of frustrating gameplay from the beginning of beta to the games launch I can honestly say Planetside 2 is the best continent simulator I've ever played. You don't know thrill until you have driven on a shaky ATV 4000 meters to a frontline only to get instantly killed and repeat the process. My framerate has been consistently bad on this game because it has 0Well after hours and hours of frustrating gameplay from the beginning of beta to the games launch I can honestly say Planetside 2 is the best continent simulator I've ever played. You don't know thrill until you have driven on a shaky ATV 4000 meters to a frontline only to get instantly killed and repeat the process. My framerate has been consistently bad on this game because it has 0 optimization for amd users. They released the game far too early and it is still riddled with strange bugs. I'm afraid this awful piece of crap software is going to melt my computer. I've known about this game for a long time and was a supporter of this amazing idea. Then I got into beta and realized that the devs do not know how to make a game and it's the same pay 2 win style of tribes ascend but with slow agonizing gameplay. At best this game is you charging up a hill and taking out as many of the enemy as you can with a grenade. At worst this is you sitting at a checkpoint trying to capture it for 15 minutes only to get sniped by a sniper who you LITERALLY cannot see because the game hasn't generated them yet because of some bug or something. No wait the worst moment is walking outside a spawn facility and getting shot by the 20 Vanu that are milking the place for kills and having NO way to stop them. Oh wait no the worst part is walking outside and getting killed by an overpowered tank. NO NO the worst part is that the heavy class that kills you in 2 shots after you fire a whole clip into them. WAIT NO the worst part is this game had such amazing potential and failed so badly. Planetside 2 is literally indescribable, it's like a whole new category of crap games. My experience in the beta is that the devs didn't listen and were aiming for a target audience that does not exist. They ignore the veterans, screw the noobs, and pander to the rich. I once stepped on a nail barefoot and had to walk 100 meters over rocky ground. That was a better experience than this game and was more friendly. Maybe if the devs had listened to the intricate 10 page posts some fanatics posted. Maybe if capturing bases wasn't a pain in the a**. Maybe if performance was good. Maybe if everytime I got killed it didn't feel completely unfair.

Listen heres my advice. If you have 10 friends with good gaming rigs and high end processors you should get a hold of them and go play this game with them. Now for the rest of the population. Go play this game to waste your time and see how truly bad it is. If you like getting in a tank dominating for 4 minutes and then waiting 15 minutes to be able to spawn it again than you'll love this game. I give this game a 1 out of 10 because it is a good way to kill an hour when you first download it.
  17. Dec 4, 2012
    An MMO-shooter, which is good concept, but needs to be thought out more. Imagine playing WoW, but instead of starting at lvl 1 and going through questing zones and learning your class, you start at lvl 20, and are dropped into BattleGrounds and told "figure it out" while all the veterans farm you for points. And this is the beginning, middle, and end of the game. I played this game forAn MMO-shooter, which is good concept, but needs to be thought out more. Imagine playing WoW, but instead of starting at lvl 1 and going through questing zones and learning your class, you start at lvl 20, and are dropped into BattleGrounds and told "figure it out" while all the veterans farm you for points. And this is the beginning, middle, and end of the game. I played this game for about 4-5 hours, disliking it the whole time, but I assumed that I just hadn't found the delicious chocolate center inside this harsh, unwelcoming game. But once I realized that there was no such center, I stopped playing. So try it, it's free, but you better play with friends on skype/vent who know what's going on, or you'll be lost, confused, and free food for all the other people on skype/vent. Expand
  18. Dec 7, 2012
    There are some amazing, inventive ideas in this game, its whole brilliant concept being something rarely if ever seen before (except in the previous title in the series, of course). Unfortunately, that sweet center is tucked away inside a crispy shell of pure manure: The actual gameplay is thoroughly rotten. With clumsy, awkward movement and dull, bland gunplay, Planetside 2 is only asThere are some amazing, inventive ideas in this game, its whole brilliant concept being something rarely if ever seen before (except in the previous title in the series, of course). Unfortunately, that sweet center is tucked away inside a crispy shell of pure manure: The actual gameplay is thoroughly rotten. With clumsy, awkward movement and dull, bland gunplay, Planetside 2 is only as good as its weakest link: Not good at all. The amazingly lazy visual design that ensures new players won't have the slightest clue what anything is without looking up in the wiki helps make it even worse. But at least you can buy yourself more hit points and other advantages with cash, right?

Unless you're already a Planetside veteran, or have the patience of a saint and absolutely no money to pay for a real game, don't bother.
  19. Jan 5, 2013
    Soo many hackers. every big battle has atleast one hacker. You can even find live streams of them, it's rediculous. The game feels so bland too, all people do is spawn kill and capture and recapture the same **** all day.
  20. Jan 25, 2013
    Game is broken. Full of cheats and hackers - they can even teleport other players to their death now. Bugs - lots and lots of bugs, like falling through the floor, the ground, gun turrets that sometimes work and sometimes don't. I could sit and list all the bugs in the games, but I just don't care. SOE doesn't care - why should we care.
  21. Nov 28, 2012
    Game is basically chinese grind fest. Amount playtime required to unlock even crappiest upgrades is horrendous. Game lacks auto balance, anti-cheat software and has somewhat unbalanced factions. In servers 3 sides means 1 is getting ass handed by 2 factions. So even when you get exp bonus those are worthless experience is not equivalent to bonuses you get by controlling large area of map.Game is basically chinese grind fest. Amount playtime required to unlock even crappiest upgrades is horrendous. Game lacks auto balance, anti-cheat software and has somewhat unbalanced factions. In servers 3 sides means 1 is getting ass handed by 2 factions. So even when you get exp bonus those are worthless experience is not equivalent to bonuses you get by controlling large area of map. Game is just ripoff from working first person shooters like battlefields doesn't really add anything new to genre. Expand
  22. Dec 17, 2012
    Planet Side 2 is a "free-to-play" but "pay-to-win" game which is so far away from entertaining me. A huge sized map with no enemies around, sucking game mechanics, bad spawn locations, buggy graphics and horrible fun factor make the game unplayable for me. You can give it a try like me; I tried it and gave it 3/10.
  23. Dec 9, 2012
    I'm not enitrely sure of the words to sum this game up. Ambitious, yes. Technically brilliant, yes. Amazing idea, certainly. But there are also other words that apply. Boring, buggy, overrated, uninspiring, underachieving, poorly reviewed by 'critics' (as always) and rage inducingly unfair. This is a free2play game, so some might say being overly negative isn't appropriate. I disagreeI'm not enitrely sure of the words to sum this game up. Ambitious, yes. Technically brilliant, yes. Amazing idea, certainly. But there are also other words that apply. Boring, buggy, overrated, uninspiring, underachieving, poorly reviewed by 'critics' (as always) and rage inducingly unfair. This is a free2play game, so some might say being overly negative isn't appropriate. I disagree however, the game is still an income source and therefore should be revealed as it is, an image different to that shouted out by the masses it would appear.
    Positives- The big battles. This, apart from ambition, is the only thing I can find good here. When hundreds of people actually bother to attack a target instead of pretending to be lone rangers the action gets intense, tactical and most importantly, fun. It's also important to note the technical achievement. Que applause. The Negatives- Where to start? People. They kill this, ironically. The forums are a hotbed of rather pathetic trolls and juvenile kiddies. Ask a question, expect 9 trolls, 6x10-7 flamers and 1 genuine answer. F2PNewbs. In game, team killing is common, and rather annoying. It is a good concept to add, but nobody bothers where they land/drive/walk. They then complain and revenge team kill because they can't accept their mistake. Coordination is also particularly hard if you aren't in an outfit, as everybody disappears or gives up halfway through battles. I'm forever suddenly finding myself alone in the middle of an enemy base because nobody can be arsed to drive another few sundy's up, or spawn a tank. The much hyped big battles are cool, but so rare that anyone who isnt blinded by a shiny new game will instantly realise the game's main point isn't so 'main'. Flying is dame near impossible. Even if you make it out of the spawn area, good luck mastering the controls before you're shot down. They make absolutely no sense whatsoever to anyone who's ever flown a real plane, or a simulator, or even ace combat. Health intrigues me. Countless time in my play testing, both in beta and the 1.0 release I have flanked and shot AFK's at the enemy rear. One clip later they turn and headshot you. Clearly a bug, but an extremely common one, unfortunately. The same occurs during firefights, I've emptied whole clips into individuals (and hit, flamers) and they still kill me with a 1 second burst when I pursue them. Weapons. Or water pistols, whichever you prefer. They all look the same, sound the same and do puny amounts of damage to the rather large health bars. I haven't once felt like I've been carrying a real weapon, even in a hugely overpowered MAX. Bugs. I couldn't even begin to list them, there are far to many. Learning curve. Point and shoot isnt hard. Abilities, flying, deploying tactics etc. are never explained and rather backwards in their implementation. Anti-air is useless. You can sit on the crowns top level shooting away all day and probably get only one or two kills. Fighters are too fast to hit, defeating the purpose of anti-air as MAX's and tanks can hit the galaxy's better than turrets. Direction. There is none, and as previously said, rarely do people actually attack en masse.

Conclusion-
    Whilst this game has potential, it is killed by these factors:
    -People(kiddies) thinking they're clever ruining the games online rep through immature forum antics
    -People not playing properly
    -People team killing
    -People pretending it's a solo game
    -Endless bugs
    -Poor direction
    -Poor controls
    -Completely atrocious health/damage balance.
    -Terrible guns(underpowered, generic etc.)
    -A pervading sense of boredom and frustration.

That last point is most important. You can look over the game's endless drawback after one good firefight, but its just like a drug, alcohol for example. Once the effect wears off and you realise whats actually going on you're left feeling crap and swearing never to play again. Especially when you read the sickeningly stupid 'critics' reviews. I'll admit, I see their profession as next to pointless. That's why I spend my time on this site. People's opinions are often far more 'on Earth' than these strange layabouts. But in this case, both are outrageously pathetic, although some have seen the light and look at the game past its face value, something which the ordinary bullet spamming, COD noob masses fail to do, making this game seem so much better than the failure it actually is.
  24. Jan 4, 2013
    Another great idea with poor making. The Beta hum well this is where one works on bugs. Not this group. Gcard driver problems leaves you looking at a white monitor. The makers should have worked with grapic makes for the game. Another BIG thumbs down it Tking in the game........ You wait all day to build up points to get your lets say tank and then some as....whipe kills you. Maybe theyAnother great idea with poor making. The Beta hum well this is where one works on bugs. Not this group. Gcard driver problems leaves you looking at a white monitor. The makers should have worked with grapic makes for the game. Another BIG thumbs down it Tking in the game........ You wait all day to build up points to get your lets say tank and then some as....whipe kills you. Maybe they should have asked the so called beta testers what they need in a game... TK FORGIVE or TK PUNISH omg really??? So much more but the key points for me. Yeah I even paid for the year thing. Just another good idea but a bad build.. Expand
  25. Dec 15, 2012
    After issues starting the game, all the text was bugged and saying ##ui and i had seach for a fix... i tried to fix and crash. reboot and fix the text issue and crash again... so loaded and play for about 5 minutes and find there is no guide or idea whats going on, then it crashed again
    in total i played for another hour and decided its boring, graphics are average to poor and gameplay is like bf3 with no excitement.
    The only saving grace is its free and been an online game there might be some large updates which make the game interesting.
    Back to BF3 for me
  26. Nov 27, 2012
    Gameplay wise the game is great. Sure there may be some balance issues especially concerning the infantry vs vehicles part, but in general it plays very nicely. Battles lasting through day and night cycles are something I've personally enjoyed the most. But there are some problems not related to the gameplay itself that prevent the game from being truly good. The first one is the last ofGameplay wise the game is great. Sure there may be some balance issues especially concerning the infantry vs vehicles part, but in general it plays very nicely. Battles lasting through day and night cycles are something I've personally enjoyed the most. But there are some problems not related to the gameplay itself that prevent the game from being truly good. The first one is the last of ANY tutorial, lack of ANY explanation of what all the icons means, lack of ANY objective information for the player which left me simply disoriented for first few hours. Sure, once you figure it out, the game becomes much better, but seriously I'm probably not the only one with this problem considering a very small subset of players who actually follows the objectives rather than mindlessly shoot each other. The second, and in my opinion - much more important - issue is the F2P model. The game was being advertised as not being Pay2Win game, which after a couple of hours becomes an obvious lie. Everything in game starting with abilities, weapons, mods, vehicle stuff, cosmetics, etc. is unlocked with a single currency you gain while playing the game. Now the problem is that on average you make about 25-30 credits per hour (about 1 credit per 4 kills) and upgrading a single perk to max level costs about 1500 credits - that's about 60 hours of gameplay for one perk on a single class on a single character. New weapon? No problem, 700-1000 credits + 200 credits for the mods. As you can see fully unlocking a single class takes about an eternity. This means that you end up buying weapons for 7-9$ each which is yet another misunderstood implementation of the MICROtransactions model. If this was a $60 priced title it would score at least 8 (because of the lack of initial tutorial and some game balance issues), but thanks to the greedy, falsely advertised payment model the rating does down to 3. Expand
  27. Jan 6, 2013
    - Pay to Win
    - Endless Grinding for Cert. Points
    - Takes up a butt-load of Disk Space and Processing Power - Minorly infested with Speedhackers and Aimbots As a new player, the only thing you can do is merely run towards an enemy, kill him if you are lucky, and then die. You rinse and repeat through this process because you mainly can't even see who is friend and who is foe that
    - Pay to Win
    - Endless Grinding for Cert. Points
    - Takes up a butt-load of Disk Space and Processing Power
    - Minorly infested with Speedhackers and Aimbots

As a new player, the only thing you can do is merely run towards an enemy, kill him if you are lucky, and then die. You rinse and repeat through this process because you mainly can't even see who is friend and who is foe that early into the game. You die yourself through the game.
    Pick a Sniper - you take like 10 shots to kill somebody, while some enemy Sniper just takes one shot to kill you.
    Pick Light Assault - Enemy's Machine Gun is always better and you die like in 2 shots.
    Pick Heavy Assault - Fire a Rocket right next to the Enemy, no damage. Enemy's Rockets are like Atomic Nukes.

Most negative part about the game is of course, IT IS PAY TO WIN.
    All the guns you can get for Cert. Points? Yeah, you can buy them with Cash.

Planetside 2 is a horrible garbage game that has no intention of ever improving and is just merely a cash-cow for Sony.
  28. Dec 21, 2012
    the only part of the development team that brought there a game was the art team game looks great but every other part of the design is flawed. after spending a month with this game i feel i would have to wright a 7 page essay for you to truly get across the depth of the flaws that scar this game and will keep it from lasting for more then 6 months the game may be "free to play" but thisthe only part of the development team that brought there a game was the art team game looks great but every other part of the design is flawed. after spending a month with this game i feel i would have to wright a 7 page essay for you to truly get across the depth of the flaws that scar this game and will keep it from lasting for more then 6 months the game may be "free to play" but this game is not worth your time because its not worth my time. were only in the world for so long play a game that can respect that. Expand
  29. Dec 6, 2012
    PAY TO WIN...YOU ARE WARNED

PAY TO WIN...YOU ARE WARNED

I give this game a 3 out of 10 only because they created a f2p MMOFPS on a massive scale...but that's it. The gameplay feels cheap, the controls feel clunky and the combat is not as exciting as they make it out to be. I agree with a lot of the other reviewers here, most people are being blown away by the sheer size of the game and the fact its f2p. Well, just because a big budget game and f2p, does not make it a 10 out 10 blockbuster game. This game has pay2win all over it. It takes a hell of a long time to earn anything in the game and the teams are horribly unbalanced... every time i log in, my team is pushed back to furthest corner on the map and we have no chance of pushing back. It seems as if most gamer's jump ship to the winning faction and call it a day. For the last two weeks, we have been stuck in the same corner trying to fight our way out and we are not making any progress. If your looking for that next mmo/fps hybrid, look past this one. Great idea, poorly executed. Hey SOE, maybe you should of created some sort of cap or auto balance for the teams. The fact that anybody can join the wining and steam roll the entire map is BS. And why on earth would you make it so hard to actually earn better weapons?? It does not sucker people into buying your premium crap, it turns people away from the game. Look at what GW2 did right and learn from them. I suspect this community if going to die real quick. Especially with the release of Firefall coming soon. You guys need to get over the fact that you can create huge worlds, you need to work on balancing, gameplay mechanics, combat, and..well...just about everything else in the game. Huge worlds do not cut it anymore. The game is boring... FAIL
  30. Dec 14, 2012
    Could be so good but it just isn't.
    Could be so good but it just isn't.
    You as a new player will have little fun in this game unless you wanna spend a decent amount of money. After playing a good 20 hours i havent even got 1/10th of the points needed for a decent upgrade. The grind you would need to do as a new player is just ridiculous, and the starting weapons is utter useless, same goes for the tank and plane weapons, wich means not only will you have the disadvantage of not knowing the game, but you will also have your skill removed due to ridicilous spread and weapon recoil, lesser health lower wpn dmg ect. ect. As a guy who normal do average in shooters i ended with a K/D ratio less than 0.3. Nuff said.
  31. Dec 15, 2012
    New player experience is horrible in this game. No tutorial, no training grounds, nothing. You just spawn in the middle of a warzone having no idea what the objectives are or how to achieve them. While you try to figure out how the game works you keep getting killed over and over. Worst first impression ever. For me, this is indicative of an unfinished product. Uninstalled after 20New player experience is horrible in this game. No tutorial, no training grounds, nothing. You just spawn in the middle of a warzone having no idea what the objectives are or how to achieve them. While you try to figure out how the game works you keep getting killed over and over. Worst first impression ever. For me, this is indicative of an unfinished product. Uninstalled after 20 minutes. I'll check back when it's a complete game and not a torso. Expand
  32. Dec 24, 2012
    Don't play unless you're willing to shell some real cash, game is a true 'pay to win' game, and is very unbalanced. The game also renders poorly causing enemies to at times vanish or fail to render at all. Planetside is also very crash prone, It will crash at startup, it will crash while in game frequently, and will crash out half your squad at the same time. I've even had the launcherDon't play unless you're willing to shell some real cash, game is a true 'pay to win' game, and is very unbalanced. The game also renders poorly causing enemies to at times vanish or fail to render at all. Planetside is also very crash prone, It will crash at startup, it will crash while in game frequently, and will crash out half your squad at the same time. I've even had the launcher crash continuously forcing a re-install

Short: Don't Play.
  33. Nov 24, 2012
    Great potential, that unfortunately falls flat. The graphics aren't amazing, but that's not surprising considering the scale they were going for. The biggest problem I have with this game is how much the game mechanics encouraging Team Killing. Seeing your supposed allies killing Sunderers (Mobile Spawn Points) so they can deploy one of their own in it's place in order to collect the expGreat potential, that unfortunately falls flat. The graphics aren't amazing, but that's not surprising considering the scale they were going for. The biggest problem I have with this game is how much the game mechanics encouraging Team Killing. Seeing your supposed allies killing Sunderers (Mobile Spawn Points) so they can deploy one of their own in it's place in order to collect the exp just ruins any enjoyment I had in the game. Expand
  34. Dec 10, 2012
    Massively overrated. If your not being killed or run-over by your own team-mates, your either running to a fight and generally one-shotted by enemy players that you could have been unloading a whole clip into their head. Either that or they are lag jumpping around. I have a high end PC and i find the graphics for this disappointing. If you get in a good fight of 50 to 150+ it can beMassively overrated. If your not being killed or run-over by your own team-mates, your either running to a fight and generally one-shotted by enemy players that you could have been unloading a whole clip into their head. Either that or they are lag jumpping around. I have a high end PC and i find the graphics for this disappointing. If you get in a good fight of 50 to 150+ it can be interesting but thats all this game is, an endless fight over buildings nothing else Expand
  35. Nov 22, 2012
    Yeah this game is pretty overhyped. It was a poor choice to take on such extreme graphics for a F2P game. It looks great, but runs like trash. The scaling in reduction of graphical settings is subpar at best. This leaves anyone with a mid to entry level gaming rig excluded from enjoying this game. The gameplay is a whole different story. The map is a **** giving you so much information youYeah this game is pretty overhyped. It was a poor choice to take on such extreme graphics for a F2P game. It looks great, but runs like trash. The scaling in reduction of graphical settings is subpar at best. This leaves anyone with a mid to entry level gaming rig excluded from enjoying this game. The gameplay is a whole different story. The map is a **** giving you so much information you cant process what is going on. There is no clear objective as to where you should be headed or going unless you are in a squad and receiving orders from another player. The scale of the game is questionable at best. The game draws heavily from the Battlefield series, but fails to deliver a controled mechanism for preventing an all out **** to occur. I have found myself kill spawned over and over and over. I have found myself spawning in a group of friendlies only to be pinned down by superior enemy forces. There really is no protection or passive base defenses. Aside from this the battles can last for hours, or dare I say days? This kind of scaling isnt fun for the average gamers, if you cant sit down and accomplish something significant in a 30-60 minute period, than the game development has been designed to accomodate a niche group of hardcore players. All in all Planetside 2 really has some potential for further development. The scale of the game and the sheer rigorous pacing of the game will turn many players off. Expand
  36. Feb 4, 2013
    This game has a great premise, but unless you wanna shell out money in the cash shop, you'll never get anywhere... I'm all for pay2play, but not pay2win. Plus, getting team killed by frustrated beginners or douchey vets its a pain in the ass; and don't even get me started on the lag... It's not horrible... but it feels like a game thats still in beta.
  37. Jan 1, 2013
    Somewhere between boring and frustrating.

Somewhere between boring and frustrating.

The game throws you right into battle without teaching you anything about what sort of objectives you should be doing or what options are available to you. All of the basics are exactly what you would expect, but it takes a while to learn how to change classes, or logically pick a spawn point, or spawn a vehicle, etc. A simple legend would have saved me 20 minutes (the amount of time I played before realize that they weren't about to explain anything about they key in-game systems and I had better look them up).

After watching a few of their videos I learned what some of the objectives were, although some things (like how to cloak) I never really found out. I'm not particularly inclined to. MMOFPS sounds fun but the problem is that battles are silly and one sided. You'll spend a bunch of time taking random bases on the front lines with no resistance, and you'll spend time trying frantically to defend a base from overwhelming resistance. How do 3 guys with rocket launchers stop 50 guys with tanks and engineers and invisible snipers? They don't.

It's boring if you're on the team with 50 tanks. It's frustrating if you're on the team with 3 rocket launchers. After 30 minutes of watching tutorial videos and 3 hours of playing I can say with certainty that they need to rethink the MMOFPS concept before it will be able to create engaging gameplay. There are a lot of low points :airplanes can kill new players with impunity (new players literally have no way to kill aircraft until they unlock heat-seeking rockets by paying real world cash or playing for 10 or 20 hours), spawn points are often humorously far from any objectives you care about (2+ minutes), some of the worst graphical glitches I've had in a few years, and long waits for continent switches (you might need to wait 10 minutes to be allowed to spawn on a continent with enemies).

Despite a lot of sloppy unpolished presentation, I'm not sure the concept itself is even valid. I had a little bit of fun running around doing 1v1 at some remote base or being involved in big team on team battles, but that action is few, far between, and still less compelling than any FPS I have played in this generation or any other.

This is easily the most boring game I have played in a decade. If they ever make some basic "quality of life" concessions and find a way to create compelling combat in the MMO genre this might be worth another look, but as it stands I think the game is about as compelling as the Pinocchio game on Super Nintendo.
  38. Jan 3, 2013
    Planetside 2 is essentially an unfinished game that is still in Open Beta and it retains none of the spirit and iconic features and game-play of the original. It is poorly optimized and still has a myriad of bugs, some of which are game-breaking, to put up with. Compounding these issues is the fact that SOE has the gall to charge money for side-grades/ monthly memberships for somethingPlanetside 2 is essentially an unfinished game that is still in Open Beta and it retains none of the spirit and iconic features and game-play of the original. It is poorly optimized and still has a myriad of bugs, some of which are game-breaking, to put up with. Compounding these issues is the fact that SOE has the gall to charge money for side-grades/ monthly memberships for something that is essentially a COD/Battlefield clone. Also the game-play is repetitive and boring, and as for tactics, the zerg is the meta-game. Its a huge step back from what should have been a huge step forward, especially considering all of Planetside 1's good points, none of which where improved upon/implemented in Planetside 2. My verdict is that PS2 = fail. Expand
  39. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is dying very fast ... servers had very high population and every map was full of people and epic fight. Now every server is medium to low and only epic fights are on INDAR ( one map). AMERISH is always empty and ESAMIR almost too...
    Faction are very unbalanced and population is another topic... this game has a very bad problems in population and vehicle/weapons balance...
    ZERGS.... WTF is this ? If you go with zerg it will be boring and easy mode for noobs.... if you go with small group you will be killed by enemy ZERG :D really?.
    Less and less people play this game every day and this game is all about mass fights with many people. But if this game doesnt have people, it will not have mass fights and everybody will return to BF3/COD ...
    This game will play only fanboys who say as always :" its a great game"... NO IT ISNT.
    This game has a great potentional but if devs dont fix all this problems they will lose a lot of people and money of course.
    I have played this game many many hours and spend a lot of money on it... and I can give you a advice... try it, have some fun and leave it if they will not fix it... DONT SPEND MONEY
  40. Jan 26, 2013
    This game tries to be a bit of everything, and everything of nothing. The game is mostly over-hyped and doesn't live up to its reputation at all. Frustrating game mechanics make some very weird deaths. Like being killed by your own spawning turret, spawning under a Sunderer (mobile spawn truck) and getting killed by it, or getting killed because your tank couldn't push away a stack ofThis game tries to be a bit of everything, and everything of nothing. The game is mostly over-hyped and doesn't live up to its reputation at all. Frustrating game mechanics make some very weird deaths. Like being killed by your own spawning turret, spawning under a Sunderer (mobile spawn truck) and getting killed by it, or getting killed because your tank couldn't push away a stack of crates. The money mechanics is basically terri-bad. You spend a large sum of "certs" only to unlock a weapon nearly identical to your default in terms of stats and looks.

Battles are somewhat interesting but not rewarding in the slightest sense of the word. Captured bases are only to be found retaken back by the enemy 3 minutes later. The entire continent you play on seems like a big deja vu, every base has the same structural features as the previous one.

All in all, if you come from the Battlefield franchise, you will be very disappointed in the game.
  41. Nov 21, 2012
    Keeping the original game's thoughts in mind, I feel they have completely disregarded the fan base in which brought this game into being. I will not be spending the dozens of hours in which I did during the original PlanetSide, just my opinion.
  42. Jan 5, 2013
    So for whatever reason I can run BF3 on nearly high settings, but this game won't even run on the lowest. The devs did not optimize this game very well at all. FTP should also not be the future of PC gaming.
  43. Jan 25, 2013
    Lol at this game "becoming" an esport. The dev's made a terrible decision in this route. The game is far from competitive in the sense that there is absolutely no accomplishment in winning or losing. It is more of a marketing campaign than an actual competitive campaign.
  44. Feb 13, 2013
    The cheaters are out of control. The game is pretty boring. Every battle not at The Crown ends up being the more populated faction spawn room camping the less populated faction. There is little to no metagame. There is no reason to really play this game for more than a week or two. I like to call this a FTP throwaway game. Try it, toss it, go onto the next FTP game.
  45. Dec 21, 2012
    its fun if you pay for better things but if you want to play a balanced F2P this is not your game its gameplay is unbalanced, graphics are ok, this game is boring and unbalanced, this game had a chance for it to be good but its not, most f2p's arnt anyway, wait till survarium or warface
  46. Feb 10, 2013
    Countless bugs, almost no friend/foe ID unless you mouse over for 5 seconds, so by that time, if it was a foe, you are dead. Also, you die in 3 hits unless your armor is built up. Another free to play, free to die, pay to win, pay to survive game. Don't waste your time on this one.
  47. Dec 8, 2012
    what's wrong with the critics?? this game is painfully dull and pointless. fps on a mmo scale? great idea except for the massive lagg which kills the whole zergfest. even being free this does not worth the bandwidth to download
  48. Nov 25, 2012
    ...seriously just an "OK" game. Mostly a place for spam players and campers. Playing as a team or solo, you feel useless. If you're a fan of Black Ops, Modern Warfare, or the old Counter-Strike, this isn't the game for you.
  49. Dec 24, 2012
    This game is just amazing. But he is killed by his community. In fact, on my server 85% of Terran use hack. More than, cheat engine is available on all server, it is very stupid and destroy the game. Maybe 1 month for this game if nothing happen...
  50. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is dying. Steam stats show a near 50% decrease in users over the last month. One month ago it read out 19,299 peak Planetside 2 now it reads 11,299 peak Planetside 2. Its obvious as to why all the players are leaving. The game is not worth spending even $15 on. The servers are becoming increasingly smaller and some are just plain out unplayable.
  51. Jan 6, 2013
    PlanetSide's development team doesn't seem to understand what the game needs anymore, and the wrong people (those bridge-dwelling pieces of feces) seem to be the ones changing the balances to favour themselves.

Once upon a time (Beta) I had faith that this would be an extremely successful game with some optimization that could keep the game from looking like **** on any standard non-gaming devoted PC.

I think I started losing that faith when SOE introduced a weak store and jacked up prices. Not to mention that people started to realize that certs were taking way too long to acquire than before. It seemed like the devs' new idea of balance was a system that involved making aspects of the game much too expensive to even bother unlocking for most people. The slow xp gain rate seems to have been made to keep players hooked due to a lack of content.

I understand this is F2P, but doesn't anyone remember when Higby talked about how the gap between grinders/payers and casuals would be removed? Can anyone really say that's the case now? I don't believe so.

It's been nice participating in this game's (d)evolution.
    I wish you well Sony Online Entertainment.
    Perhaps I'll come back when you guys sort your shyte out, but then again, I might come back only to find empty servers and lost potential.
  52. Jan 6, 2013
    Hackers are everywhere. So far, I've seen Teleporters, Flash Gordons, Shoots Through Walls Man, Sees Through Walls Man, Magic OSHS(carbine) Engineer/Light Assault Guy, Invincible Man, the classic aimbotter, etc. I really regret spending money on this game considering hacking isn't going away. PS2 doesn't even have any anti-chest software, they ban solely on reports and stats. And sometimeHackers are everywhere. So far, I've seen Teleporters, Flash Gordons, Shoots Through Walls Man, Sees Through Walls Man, Magic OSHS(carbine) Engineer/Light Assault Guy, Invincible Man, the classic aimbotter, etc. I really regret spending money on this game considering hacking isn't going away. PS2 doesn't even have any anti-chest software, they ban solely on reports and stats. And sometime it takes a week for someone to get banned. Plus they only IP ban and we all know that isn't going to stop anyone from making a just new account with a different IP. Expand
  53. Jan 12, 2013
    Spawn camping is a major problem and essentially shuts down almost any battle regardless of size. Nobody enjoys being hit by a liberator or tank round the second they leave the spawn. It greatly limits a factions ability to defend a base and makes capping significantly easier. Defending and resecuring bases is punished while attacking is significantly more rewarding. The meta game simplySpawn camping is a major problem and essentially shuts down almost any battle regardless of size. Nobody enjoys being hit by a liberator or tank round the second they leave the spawn. It greatly limits a factions ability to defend a base and makes capping significantly easier. Defending and resecuring bases is punished while attacking is significantly more rewarding. The meta game simply is not rewarding enough or important enough to even convince people to leave Inda. Low population servers. People bailing out of vehicles the second before they explode. (This is something that has just been annoying not really to big a problem) Expand
  54. Jan 26, 2013
    A game should be fun, not a tedious grinding experience. In general it's an abusive environment with absolutely no immersive content. It's filled with hackers and players exploiting the unoptimized engine. There is absolutely no reason to spend any amount of money on this game and certainly is not worth the disk drive space on your PC.
  55. Feb 11, 2013
    Bad: Buggy, hackers, counter intuitive if you've played a lot of FPS games, over hyped, terrible hit registry, waste of time, download speeds are terrible.
    Good: it's free, it's good for pointing out BF3's failings, might be passable if you social life purely exists online.
  56. Jan 17, 2013
    Never played PlanetSide but heard wonderful things about it. Gave this a try while seeking something to replace Tribes Ascend. Needless to say the game did not live up to the hype. The gorgeous sprawling environments do not make up for a complete and utter lack of direction as it pertains to basic objectives within the game. Having logged a few hours I can say with reasonable certaintyNever played PlanetSide but heard wonderful things about it. Gave this a try while seeking something to replace Tribes Ascend. Needless to say the game did not live up to the hype. The gorgeous sprawling environments do not make up for a complete and utter lack of direction as it pertains to basic objectives within the game. Having logged a few hours I can say with reasonable certainty that I have no idea who is on what team, why they're all shooting at each other, or even if we are winning. Confusion of this level is only compounded by the terrible vehicle controls, counterintuitive interfaces at terminals, and frustrating lack of instruction regarding basic class advantages and disadvantages. I have no doubt that all of this will see its way into a future patch (should the game survive long enough) but one has to wonder why PlanetSide 2 was released at all as it is so obviously unfinished. Expand
  57. May 29, 2014
    There is a buy message on every screen where they want you to spend your money, there are guns for sale, voice packs for sale, camos for sale, decals for sale and all kinds of other useless crap for sale. There is also a membership for sale and this membership gives you discounts on items so that you can buy even more! Avoid this or chargeback everything you've spend on this game and buy aThere is a buy message on every screen where they want you to spend your money, there are guns for sale, voice packs for sale, camos for sale, decals for sale and all kinds of other useless crap for sale. There is also a membership for sale and this membership gives you discounts on items so that you can buy even more! Avoid this or chargeback everything you've spend on this game and buy a new game with the money. Expand
  58. Jan 29, 2013
    You play for 4 hours to capture or defend a base, next day its lost again. yes the battles are epic but it all seems so pointless. Air dominates, spawn camping gets frustrating. pay 2 win scheme. it was fun for a week but i'll be moving on to games with actual progress
  59. Oct 14, 2013
    Could have been a good game but the pay to win structure of the game ruins it. Don't bother trying to earn anything by actually playing the game unless you're willing to blow a week or more just to get a gun. I found the more I played it the more futile any efforts towards progressing became. Frustrating and not fun.
  60. Nov 23, 2012
    Bad attempt to make awesome multiplayer. First this game have one of uglier graphics this year, but this is not crucial for multiplayer game anyways. But, game fail in all other aspects. Glitchy, bad spawn points ruining the action, bad shooting are only few of bad thins this game bring to the table. Only good thing is free to play because if they charge for this would be really cheating.
  61. Jan 7, 2013
    When I first heard about Planetside2 I was beyond psyched for the release. I was a die-hard fan/junkie/addict of Planetside 1 and the thought of a new, up-to-date version of what I would have considered to be one of the most groundbreaking FPS games of my generation gave me goose bumps. I was fortunate to get into late beta and played for the final 3 weeks of beta through release. I'veWhen I first heard about Planetside2 I was beyond psyched for the release. I was a die-hard fan/junkie/addict of Planetside 1 and the thought of a new, up-to-date version of what I would have considered to be one of the most groundbreaking FPS games of my generation gave me goose bumps. I was fortunate to get into late beta and played for the final 3 weeks of beta through release. I've currently logged well over 300 hours of post release play time.

That being said. I really wanted to like this game. Every time I log into the game I don't think, "this game is so awesome". I think, "Man, I really miss Planetside 1". The truth is that the developers, Sony Online Entertainment, took what was an amazing original game and essentially threw it away. This is NOT a sequel to Planetside 1. It is a dumbed down, watered down, shallow ghost of the original. They managed to turn what was an amazing online shooter with a rich degree of depth and character into little more than a large scale COD-like fragfest with virtually no strategy or depth of play and where everyone is focused on K/D instead of teamwork and strategy. Combine this with massive in-game vehicle and infantry balance issues and the fact that that the development team has very little interaction with the player base and you have a recipe for low population of players on most servers where the term "Massive" is starting to become a bit of a stretch.

Planetside2 was clearly released to market way too soon. The game should have stayed in Beta for at least another 4 months. There are many bugs in the game and way too many balance issues at this time to retain a strong player base. At its core I think its clear that the folks in charge of this title (with such amazing potential) at SOE are the wrong people for the job and are basically steering this title into the ground.
  62. Jan 29, 2013
    Oh. God. The. Bugs. 2/4 times I have played this the game glitches on respawn, the whole world becomes this half transparent mess were you can no longer see buildings or cover and requires a complete computer restart to fix. When the game does run it still has major problems. I managed to get enough cert points for the longest range sniper scope in the game. Turns out its completelyOh. God. The. Bugs. 2/4 times I have played this the game glitches on respawn, the whole world becomes this half transparent mess were you can no longer see buildings or cover and requires a complete computer restart to fix. When the game does run it still has major problems. I managed to get enough cert points for the longest range sniper scope in the game. Turns out its completely unusable because the world draw distance is shorter then distance the scope zooms to making the scope completely useless. Iv been in fights were I see our teammates dieing, I zoom in on my scope from the rear of the fight and see absolutely nothing. but when I move to the front of the fight suddenly an entire army appears. An army I should have easily been able to see from my elevated snipeing spot behind our lines. Iv played Alpha Builds that had less bugs then this "finished" game. Expand
  63. Feb 2, 2013
    Oh god when will the bugs end? I've put up with it since release, but I'm done now. After the most recent game update the game has become unplayable for me. I highly regret the money I've spent on this game as things continue to grow worse. In large battles I'm lucky to get 4-10 fps when a month ago I was getting 30-40. I have a Phenom II 960T and a 6870. It's ridiculous.
  64. Jul 21, 2014
    There are no thousands of players as the previous review mentioned. If you're playing during the night you can barely find a 10 player fight across the whole continent and that says something. After playing this I felt like I accomplished nothing and in order for me to advance I had to buy a new weapon with real money.
  65. Nov 9, 2013
    I have nothing against games that are free to play in fact I quite like them, however I would appreciate it if they said pay to win instead of free to play when that is the case, Planetside2 is an example of pay to win. Yes items are obtainable via game play if you have 100 years to spare... You are fighting to achieve nothing, you can't win your contribution doesn't matter because thereI have nothing against games that are free to play in fact I quite like them, however I would appreciate it if they said pay to win instead of free to play when that is the case, Planetside2 is an example of pay to win. Yes items are obtainable via game play if you have 100 years to spare... You are fighting to achieve nothing, you can't win your contribution doesn't matter because there is no goal there is no aim just shooting, anything you capture would have swapped hands by the time you log back on again. So yeh mindless shooting without achieving anything this game is simply for those who like shooting. Expand
  66. Oct 6, 2013
    This is a Free2Play game and I still feel like I got ripped off. It's THAT bad. Great concept, absolutely terrible execution.
    1) Better have a high end PC or it's a no-go for playing.
    2) It's not a steep learning curve, it's a learning wall. One that you will pound your head against for hours upon hours. 3) Vehicle controls...They are so bad that I have to wonder if SoE deliberately
    1) Better have a high end PC or it's a no-go for playing.
    3) Vehicle controls...They are so bad that I have to wonder if SoE deliberately made them difficult or if they are actually THAT incompetent.
    4) This game is PAY TO WIN. Anyone saying different is LYING to you.

Game looks great on the surface. Just don't look to closely or you'll see all the cracks (that happened to be filled with crap)
  67. Jan 6, 2013
    Where to even begin? Well, it's buggy, laggy, poorly optimized, and completely imbalanced.

"Oh, it's got it's problems, sure," the other reviews say. "But it's all worth it for the huge glorious battles!" Those don't happen. Sure, you'll have ~100 people one one side of the battle, attacking in a giant convoy of vehicles. And they'll dominate the half a dozen brave souls who try to defend, rather than joining their attacking teammates. Who are on another continent. Because enemy numbers are lower there.

See, the whole "huge world" thing sounds good on paper, but in actuality it just encourages most people to take the path of least resistance. Battles are always lopsided, and the attackers always win because they have more people.

Now, ignoring all that, let's assume for the moment that this is actually a good game, rather than a bad game. A good game does deserve to be paid for, even if it's a free-to-play that borders on pay-to-win. However, Planetside 2 goes far beyond pay-to-win; it's more like "pay-a-substantial-amount-to-be-good-at-a-single-class-or-vehicle."

In short: complete garbage with no redeeming characteristics. I have nothing good to say about this game.
  68. Jun 24, 2013
    Oh dear. I don't think I've come across any shooter that's so cumbersome. When you make a game free to play, the point is for it to be as simple as possible, since you're going to have a lot of people just trying it out casually. What's embarrassing is how PlanetSide 2 makes the simplest of genres a first-person shooter- far too complicated. The tutorial is pointless it just tells youOh dear. I don't think I've come across any shooter that's so cumbersome. When you make a game free to play, the point is for it to be as simple as possible, since you're going to have a lot of people just trying it out casually. What's embarrassing is how PlanetSide 2 makes the simplest of genres a first-person shooter- far too complicated. The tutorial is pointless it just tells you how to move and shoot. The controls are good and graphics are decent for an F2P game but the game makes a horrible first impression. It's got to be the least intuitive, user-friendly shooter experience ever created. The map, the spawn, the objective, the vehicles etc. are given zero explanation. Any game which requires someone else to teach you how to play at even the most basic level is garbage and seriously needs to rethink its design or at least implement some game modes to divide the experience up into small learning experiences rather than dumping you into a map the size of the moon and having no idea what you're supposed to do. Expand
  69. Jan 24, 2013
    For me, this game is frustrating, not fun, and essentially pointless. I suppose part of the problem is the learning curve. You start out just thrown into the map somewhere, with no clear assistance in figuring out where you should go, what you should do, why you should be doing it, or how to succeed. In my experience, I just ran towards some apparent objective getting murdered over andFor me, this game is frustrating, not fun, and essentially pointless. I suppose part of the problem is the learning curve. You start out just thrown into the map somewhere, with no clear assistance in figuring out where you should go, what you should do, why you should be doing it, or how to succeed. In my experience, I just ran towards some apparent objective getting murdered over and over again. Either that, or I just ran around the humongous map with no one at all anywhere near me. The whole experience was just terrible. I pored several hours into this, but just couldn't find the motivation to stick it out to see if things would get better. Expand
  70. Jan 17, 2013
    My rig can play all the F2P games with no issues, except for this game. The FPS is so bad I could not be bothered to finish the training level. Optimization for this game is typical for many PC titles very poor as usual.
  71. Jun 29, 2013
    This is a pay to win game so it is more relevant to comment on the business model because pay to win games are just that and nothing more.

It's almost unreal but then cheating in games has been around for like forever now you just buy the cheats from the source itself; the developers. This is how simple is really is by the way; Weak wheals will pay big bucks to win! Whoa simply

This is how simple is really is by the way; Weak wheals will pay big bucks to win! Whoa simply brilliant!

What makes this business model tasteless tho is that they encourage cheating in games played with other people as a cool thing all while denying that they are in fact selling cheats; anyone making money on this model will jump through hoops telling you that you are not buying the win; this is of course annoying as any fairly sensible person that's not completely self-deluded will just by the use of there own common sense know better.

Words you should associate with pay to win games;
    caveman, loudmouth, villain, doofus, nut, cheat, birdbrain, dope, half-wit, imbecile, brat, nuisance, pest, rip-off, gimmick, trick, hoax, humbug, phony, charlatan, quack.
  72. Jul 9, 2013
    Overall a pretty bad game. It runs so awful it is not even funny. It will finally be getting multicore support when it comes to the Playstation 4. Why? More money. Their resource system is quickly turning into a pay to win model. SOE seems hellbent on making sure there is always a huge nerf/buff cycle almost every major patch. The development team for the most part, seems unable toOverall a pretty bad game. It runs so awful it is not even funny. It will finally be getting multicore support when it comes to the Playstation 4. Why? More money. Their resource system is quickly turning into a pay to win model. SOE seems hellbent on making sure there is always a huge nerf/buff cycle almost every major patch. The development team for the most part, seems unable to properly do their job. Bad game. Expand
  73. Jan 9, 2013
    This game looks good; that's about the only good thing about it. There's no backstory or reason why these factions are fighting each other. There's a 30 second intro video and then you get dropped into battle. The first couple hours of me playing was me trying to look for a fight (playing at midnight) and when I did, I instantly got killed. High learning curve. Also, in a fight, you'llThis game looks good; that's about the only good thing about it. There's no backstory or reason why these factions are fighting each other. There's a 30 second intro video and then you get dropped into battle. The first couple hours of me playing was me trying to look for a fight (playing at midnight) and when I did, I instantly got killed. High learning curve. Also, in a fight, you'll mostly be trying to get outside of your base because there's constant spawn camping. I REALLY REALLY tried to enjoy this game, but I couldn't. There's nothing to pull you in. This game isn't necessarily hard; it's more annoying or frustrating. Expand
  74. Jan 13, 2013
    I wouldn't bother with this game, but chances are you will try it just due to all the hype.
    Let me start with the main problem with planetside - It is far too graphically demanding. Even some of the top end PC's and gaming laptops struggle to make this game run smoothly and it may cause you to buy better software and still discover the game cannot run. "But wait!" I hear you cry "My PC is amazing!" Then go play a far more enjoyable Free to play FPS such as Team Fortress. There is nothing unique about planetside other than its large scale gameplay, and if MAG taught us anything it's that this simply doesn't work. Combat is frantic and guns have no attachment to the player since they all feel generally similar and scenarios often involve two players meeting and the one winning being the one who clicks first. After a while this just gets boring and repetitive.
    Lastly, although it is beneficial for the creators to advertise this game as "Free" it is a micro transaction game, meaning if you really want to get anywhere with it your going to have to fork out.
    To conclude, I'd just say it's shocking how some people would rather play this than decent FPS' like battlefield or Halo.
  75. Jan 26, 2013
    John Smedley failed with SWG sinking it into the ground. Within one year he took a game with 1,000,000 copies sold down to nearly 10,000 subscribers still playing, then lied to the public on his failures. Why anyone let him be in charge of Planetside 2 is beyond me..
  76. Sep 18, 2013
    A decent free-to-play team based shooter with elements and influences taken from a variety of sources but a game completely ruined by pay2win mechanics. Disappointing.
  77. Jun 22, 2013
    Game came out and was pretty solid out of the gate. In the last two months (writing this in June 2013), the development staff has made a ton of stupid decisions that have butchered what could have been a great game.

The Creative Director, Matt Higby, came out last week talking about why he's instating these inane "gameplay rules" and the necessity of them, but the changes show nothing but a lack of imagination and critical thought.

While in minor cases, they listen to the community at large, they seem to ignore what the playerbase is asking for a majority of the time. As time goes on, it becomes more and more apparent that this is just a money grab and not even remotely F2P.

The game becomes more P2W with every update and gets less fun to play every day. I'm sorry I spent a dime on this game and I hope others will think twice before they do.
  78. Oct 22, 2013
    Terrible terrible. No real feel of accomplishment, flying is impossible, or using any vehicle really. Everything dies in about 2 seconds, and your respawn timers are 20 seconds for inf, 15+ minutes for vehicles. Its dreadfully boring and you are forced to play infantry. Only the elite get to play with vehicles. And even then the Elites are stopped from playing because pleb guns like lockTerrible terrible. No real feel of accomplishment, flying is impossible, or using any vehicle really. Everything dies in about 2 seconds, and your respawn timers are 20 seconds for inf, 15+ minutes for vehicles. Its dreadfully boring and you are forced to play infantry. Only the elite get to play with vehicles. And even then the Elites are stopped from playing because pleb guns like lock on rocket launchers literally shoot a rocket out that goes directly to the closest enemy vehicle u were looking at and hits it. People spend about 1000 hours of playtime to be able to fly and brand new players need about an hour to get lock on rockets and ruin everyone's fun.

It's interesting at first, but play it for more then a week with at least 2 hours a day playtime and you will realize getting any new weapon from earning certifications is impossibly elongated. This is due to the Free To play model that it has. Which also forces SOE to make weapons/vehicles over powered when they first release them, so that they sell better, which they then nerf to the ground, wasting your money or time you have spent. Everything is about seven dollars each, a gun, a camo, a hat, you name it. And most of the time you will accidentally realize what you bought was a waste, due to not exactly understanding how precisely the weapon or game works.

In this game you can level up. There is no point in leveling up, you get nothing for it, and when you cap to 100 you still get nothing. People don't even acknowledge it in the game. Even the people who are lvl 100 don't really like the game, because they too know all of the above and have just exploited it against other players.

Go play battlefield 4.
  79. Nov 29, 2013
    I played this game for over a year, I've seen it's ups and downs, it's failures and successes. Let me tell you that I had some truly epic moments that immersed me in the world and that I will remember forever. But that's not the kind of thing the game promotes, you see, SOE has a very unclear goal for this game. It started of as a game that seemed to take itself pretty seriously, thereI played this game for over a year, I've seen it's ups and downs, it's failures and successes. Let me tell you that I had some truly epic moments that immersed me in the world and that I will remember forever. But that's not the kind of thing the game promotes, you see, SOE has a very unclear goal for this game. It started of as a game that seemed to take itself pretty seriously, there were clearly defined factions, lots of robust lore, and it at least made an attempt to immerse the player in it's world.

Since then Planetside 2 has been on a downward spiral. with SOE needing more funding they turned to sillier and sillier ways of milking people for money. It started off fairly tame, a couple hockey masks and a skull mask as cosmetics. But it just kept going and going, eventually ending at to the point where it is today. There are ridiculous camo options ranging from palm tree to zebra stripes, there are fireworks launchers, evil laugh horns, confetti C4, MLG decals, overt promotions, etc.

Don't expect to get immersed enough to enjoy the game after the novelty of big battles wears off and reveals the abhorrent money grubbing underneath.
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    I am not sure if it is my failure or there's but I had technical issues with this game across several machines which I never resolved. This had the effect of having a rather basic looking graphical experience.

In terms of the game play I never understood what the fuss was about. Extremely mediocre. Personally, I found it extremely buggy, poorly supported and not worth the effort

Personally, I found it extremely buggy, poorly supported and not worth the effort to work through the bugs because the game is just not good enough.
  81. Dec 11, 2012
    Planetside 2, some mix Massive shooter with RPG (?), in my opinion idea this game is great and underdone.
    On the + : Big maps, vehicles, graphic (not bad textures for that big game maps), re-spawn protect (!),
    On the - : Fight and flight too much arcade style, where is RPG system (?), after 40 min. is boring
  82. Jan 16, 2013
    The game is only free to play if your intentions are dying to spawn campers and the constant feel of losing. The game ultimately feels like a massive grind-fest if you do not give into their high priced bonuses and items.
  83. Jan 21, 2013
    Hackers. Hackers everywhere. Now the new hack added to all the regular ones is to somehow mess with the collision in the game to send you flying from the spawn half way across a continent to fall and die. This game is riddled with bugs and hackers everywhere.
  84. Aug 7, 2013
    This game was just bad honestly its a game where you can be terrible and win. The reason being is grab lock ons against vehicles. The client side programming means two major league bad things should you have a really bad connection you can go to town on people and they cant even see you. Also like 90% of the games files are on your pc thus making it extremely easy to patch and modify yourThis game was just bad honestly its a game where you can be terrible and win. The reason being is grab lock ons against vehicles. The client side programming means two major league bad things should you have a really bad connection you can go to town on people and they cant even see you. Also like 90% of the games files are on your pc thus making it extremely easy to patch and modify your game files; hence all the hackers found it the game(many are sneaky about it now however its still a huge problem). While your at it why not just buff one faction above the others time and time again without any consideration of balance or skill based weaponry. Oh and just to put the cherry on top of the cake they will ban you should you do good, don't believe me get a K/D of 20+ and you will shortly. As for the bugs planetside 2 is FULL of them LITERALLY most of which have been around since the alpha days. such as; falling through the ground being killed but being able to move around and look at people but not die when shot, graphical errors, floating buildings. And then the bugs that they think helps balance the game such as lock ons going right through walls, infantry not even rendering in many cases, huge de-sync problems when in a harasser. As for the content added--I don't think SOE knows the meaning of that because all they do is add generic guns and buff lock on rockets consistently. If you don't believe me look at the patch notes since the beta all they added was change around the warpgates(new only two times) the latus system(Which is horrendously worse then the system before) the harasser that is riddled with bugs and glitches to this day. Now speaking from a knowledgeable programmers perspective you know that SOE could not be dumber in using dx9 vs dx11 and also trying to make they're own engines just to save a little amount of money. Just to top it all off they released a TESTING server that what do you know they don't even USE TO TEST THINGS BEFORE RELEASE! I give this game a rating of 1 just for the sake that they tried to make the first game of its kind but they blew it so hard that I regret playing in the alpha/beta testing phase because that game was better when it was in testing phase otherwise it would be a solid zero. Expand
  85. Oct 10, 2013
    When it launched, I thought PlanetSide 2 was going to be THE Game that was going to make me delete all my other ones. Huge maps with lots of enemies to fights, colorful graphics, lots of weapons, vehicles and other unique features. But after playing for a while I realized the game has no goal at all. It is a neverending deathmatch where no team can really win the game. I still log on onceWhen it launched, I thought PlanetSide 2 was going to be THE Game that was going to make me delete all my other ones. Huge maps with lots of enemies to fights, colorful graphics, lots of weapons, vehicles and other unique features. But after playing for a while I realized the game has no goal at all. It is a neverending deathmatch where no team can really win the game. I still log on once in a while and I find that there are less and less players on the servers, and those that remain are hardcore gamers with 1000's of hours played who have already reached the maximum level (makes it hard for noobies to get started). There appear to be a lot of balance issues between factions and vehicles vs infantry. In conclusion, the game has lots of potential but really lacks some very important features that would keep the players interested. Expand
  86. Dec 18, 2013
    The game started off fantastic but like any SOE game, SOE's habit of ruining a good thing through updates has happened once more. Balance is horrid, updates are nearly always lopsided adding almost absurd advantages/disadvantages for factions, vehicles or weaponry.

While that's to be expected perhaps with any SOE game, given that the game relies on a certification point system that is earned over time, it's infuriating to spend your precious certs on items, vehicles or classes only to have those choices irrevocably nerfed or broken without any way to get a refund on the certification points you spent.

The ability to refund/re-certify has been on their development plan for far over a year at this point but continues to be pushed off while huge, untested and bug-ridden patches are put out in odd succession.

Let alone that the game itself has 3 continents, each in a different stage of development making the game lopsided and uneven, the game suffers horribly from a fourth faction issue (where you can make alts for each faction and swap immediately to whatever faction is winning) has been a known issue since launch and unfixed despite that it makes the game a contest of who can swap to the winning side first.

Avoid at all costs. The game is now in a stale development cycle as SOE looks to launch it on PS4 and the latest update (PU2) has once again brought the servers down for the last 2-3 days.
  87. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is utter trash. Its a fun idea ruined by alienating new players, rewarding pay to win, and confusing and bad game controls, mechanics UI and a waste of in game time doing nothing.

The fun idea A large actively changing map where all three factions fight for total dominance of the planet. With 3 large maps, it fills a niche I've yet to experience and thought would be really

The fun idea
    A large actively changing map where all three factions fight for total dominance of the planet. With 3 large maps, it fills a niche I've yet to experience and thought would be really fun.

alienation
    This game's tutorial consists of showing you how to play a generic first person shooter then throws you into combat without knowing what objectives are, and how to interact with other players. Hell you don't even get taught about vehicles. This isn't a FPS with a campaign mode, if it did It wouldn't need to tell me a thing. But it does because without any nice tut, I am lost.

pay to win
    striaght forward, pay money, get an advantage. Better armor, better weapons, more upgrades. This is what we call ignoring game balance. The devs obviously just wanted a quick dollar. In the long run they may have money, but I will never play a game from these people, and certainly not this one.

CONFUSION
    Lets have 3 factions: red, blue and purple. Now let us make allies show up blue in the UI and enemies in red... So red team has blue allies who are red and blue enemies who are red. Orange and green and yellow also exist..

The best part is the spawning system. Instead of having variable induvidual spawn points within a base or outpost, everyone is spawned in safe buildings within those areas. In other words Prime spawn camping material. 2 tanks and a location is ready to spawn camp. Then reinforcements come and the defending side tries to poke their heads out and fire rockets hoping they don't die and can save their base. While the offensive are simply aiming at the doors hoping to react fast enough to shoot an enemy to death. Not like it matters, you can die inside a safe spawn anyhow or life for a moment outside of it. Then often times the spawn locations are hundreds, sometimes past a thousand Kilometers from any enemy location/combat region. This means(I kid you not) about 5-60 minutes of aimless or monotonous walking and running to actually start playing the game. Good thing is there is an orbital drop spawn! Sadly though, you only get to use it every 15 minutes or so.

The UI is atrocious, nothing about it makes sense. The minimap only randomly shows you structures and enemies, its not clear at all what causes something to show up on the map. Often snipers or vehicles kill you before you hear, see or detect them on the minimap unless you are scouting ahead with a sniper rifle.

menus are a joke. These devs seem to think words are a sin. I click on one of several icons without words. You have to hover over them for a few seconds to see what they are. By this time, you forget what one icon was and are constantly searching until you memorize everything.

No clear objectives. While you see icons in the distance it isn't clear what you are supposed to do, what it does, or why you might want to go there. Good thing the game doesn't let you know you can't capture a point if it is land locked by enemy territory. Why that is a rule is beyond me. This game is nothing like real combat, its just a chaotic mess with no one telling anyone what to do, and the game certainly doesn't care to tell you what you should do.

Waste of time
    Just plain and simple. When you spend more time traveling than you do fighting, you know you should be spending your time elsewhere. I was hoping to play a game, not walk it.

If you have $100 you don't care about and no goals in life, this is the game for you. It will eat your time and money and make you feel right at home. However, like most people, I cherish both my time and money and my dignity. I won't be fooled by this puke garbage. This is the result of people who wanted money and had no passion at all and who have never played an FPS in their lives.
  88. Feb 15, 2013
    I would like this game. If it wasn't so much pay to win. Say, you want a gun so you play for 5 hours straight and then you get it (only if you play good) BUT if you have the money, you buy expensive credits and get the gun instantly. Game should be called Pay 2 Winside 2
  89. Jun 22, 2013
    After playing this game from Alpha, sinking a couple hundred Smed Bucks and spending a great deal of time playing the original Planetside, I'm incredibly disappointed in the sequel. The dev's are too obsessed with making new cosmetic items to milk the dwindling population, instead of making PS2 into the great game it should be.

The business model is completely warped. When they should

The business model is completely warped. When they should be addressing fundamental issues, they're busy buggering up the balance with new OP weapons (which are nerfed as soon as they hit their sales target).

Honestly, if the dev's put as much time into developing the gameplay experience as they do generating cash items, the player base would be ten times as big. And the game would be so much more profitable than it is now.

The main issues:

1. Lack of Meta-game. It's just massive TDM at the moment, there's no real sense of goals or achievements and it's really stale. There's been a number of great ideas floating around since release (NTU's/Caverns/Cont. Locking), but they've not been integrated, and the game is fundamentally boring.

2. No real MMO character development. There's no real individual character development found in other MMO's, just a constant grind to earn 'certs', which means you can basically upgrade everything. There's no individual roles, as you can change class at whim. I can see how this is difficult in an FPS, but PS1 had an excellent system whereby a player would really have to think about a finite number of cert's, before locking them into a role for a set period of time.

3. Performance. I currently own a £2k 1 year old gaming rig, and I have to run this game on low settings to get decent FPS. Sorry, but this really has gone on long enough, and needs sorting.

4. Constant balance changes. Nerfing and buffing with every update undermines player confidence in purchasing weapons, and the development team. So, air was OP when the game was released the solution? Nerf air, buff all AA and introduce new AA weapons. Where any one of those options would have been sufficient, all three have destroyed the air game. Players who like to fly feel alienated. Balance is delicate, and SOE seems to deal with changes like a bull at a gate.

5. New weapons affect on balance not thought through. In their quest to milk the population, new weapons are rushed and not tested properly. A good example of this? ZOE. Players cried that it was ridiculously OP when it was on test and all of this feedback was ignored. So ZOE goes live, and lo and behold, it's crazy OP and destroy's the game in favour of one fraction for 2 3 weeks before SOE smacked it with the nerf bat. Then we have players who certed into ZOE complaining about the amount certs they dropped in it! IDEAS AND CHANGES NEED TO BE THOUGHT THROUGH.

6. Minor bugs that have been in since Alpha still aren't fixed. Seriously, why the hell do ESF wheels STILL stay out on spawn until you land. It's the little things that make a great game. Unfortunately, bugs which should NOT be in a game are still present. It makes the whole game feel somehow 'sloppy'.

7. New players are not eased into what's quite a complicated game. There needs to be a bunch of IN GAME tutorials and missions which give new players an overview of what the games all about, and give them a fighting chance. As it is, you have heavily experienced players flattening the new players. The experienced players feel bad, the new players leave. It's not a good system.

8. Outfits. This game is about team play, but as a new players there's no incentive to join an outfit, or any outfits welcoming enough for new players (depending on the server). You should automatically be signed up to a large fraction outfit, with players dedicated to getting new players into the battle fast.

9. No CR (command rank). Players in PS1 had to earn squad leader status through well, leading squads, which earns a player command ranks. There's no leader development, so it's a bunch of idiot's trying to command the battlefield with no experience. At least with CR you had to earn the right to command.

I won't go on, although this list could go on forever.

The bottom line. Avoid for another 6 months (if it lasts that long). If the dev's shape up and really start looking into the above issue's then this game will be unbelievably good. As it stands, it's not worth the time, and if you're a PS1 vet like me, you'll feel let down and betrayed.
  90. Dec 4, 2012
    If you like futuristic FPS with setting in 27th century, somewhere in the space, with unrealistic projectile weapons and unguided missiles like from WW2 then this game will suit your needs. You may even try flying a machine which seems to have an antigravity engine but is controlled like biplane. If you like hugely unbalanced challenge with one side designed to win and one to loose thenIf you like futuristic FPS with setting in 27th century, somewhere in the space, with unrealistic projectile weapons and unguided missiles like from WW2 then this game will suit your needs. You may even try flying a machine which seems to have an antigravity engine but is controlled like biplane. If you like hugely unbalanced challenge with one side designed to win and one to loose then feel free to try it as you really don't have to pay for extra content which gives your opponents extreme boost.

Great concept of MMO FPS and design of the game world are two reasons I give it 2.
  91. Jan 7, 2013
    This game had potential, but SoE's pay structure ruined it. Anyone with skill who doesn't want to spend money on the game can't enjoy the game because it's a struggle to level. While children with equally childish player names who spent their allowance on Station Cash sky rocket to level 30+ and then commence to harass anyone with unearned levels. Games with pay structures that affectThis game had potential, but SoE's pay structure ruined it. Anyone with skill who doesn't want to spend money on the game can't enjoy the game because it's a struggle to level. While children with equally childish player names who spent their allowance on Station Cash sky rocket to level 30+ and then commence to harass anyone with unearned levels. Games with pay structures that affect direct purchase of gear and leveling just don't work and won't last. Expand
  92. Feb 17, 2013
    Free to play? lol. More like free to hack. Have fun spending $50+ dollars on items that are bound to a single character to get you your competitive edge, only to have a hacker spawn kill you for 10 minutes. This game is the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. There are no active GMs, there is no anti-cheat detection. The only method SOE uses is reports fromFree to play? lol. More like free to hack. Have fun spending $50+ dollars on items that are bound to a single character to get you your competitive edge, only to have a hacker spawn kill you for 10 minutes. This game is the most overrated game I have ever had the displeasure of playing. There are no active GMs, there is no anti-cheat detection. The only method SOE uses is reports from players followed by stats tracking. Sometimes it will take days to ban a hacker. Oh, but the game is FTP so what is stopping the banned hacker from just creating a new account? Nothing. Expand
  93. Jul 26, 2013
    Honestly, I like the concept and the gameplay. I really do. I love the advancement system and the many options of guns, apparel and accessories. But the reason I scored this game so low is because in it's current state, it is broken. I have a high-end PC that runs the game at a steady 60fps even in really big battles. But there is this server-lag that happens ALL THE TIMEHonestly, I like the concept and the gameplay. I really do. I love the advancement system and the many options of guns, apparel and accessories. But the reason I scored this game so low is because in it's current state, it is broken. I have a high-end PC that runs the game at a steady 60fps even in really big battles. But there is this server-lag that happens ALL THE TIME that makes the game unplayable. First off you have this lag where all players are constantly disappearing and reappearing and popping in and out of the world. it's impossible to shoot or kill anyone. When this isn't happening there is another sort of server lag where no matter how many times you shoot someone the hit does not register. They can be 2 feet in front of me and I cannot get a hit marker for anything. Now, I would be okay with this if it happened once in a while. This happens ALL THE TIME. Last night I played for an hour and 45 min. out of the hour these problems existed. The game was only playable for 1/4 of my time played. Tonight I also played an hour and it was the SAME THING. The game would work fine for 5 or 10 minutes but then I would have 30 minutes of this horrible server lag. Even other people in chat were talking about it so I know it's not my computer. Again, I have a high end system that runs more graphic intensive games than planetside just fine. ARMA 2 and ARMA 3 are two of those games. I wish I could give this game an 8 or 9 I really do. But in it's current state I would stay away from it. I have only been playing the game for a week but I am very discouraged and do not want to touch it again until it's fixed because it is a waste of my time. I'm not going to play a game for hours of my time when only 1/4th of it it's actually playable. I advise anyone looking to spend money on it or use HD space to wait until SOE does something about this because the game is literally broken. I think this game is too big for their britches and there's too many players for them to handle. Again, I really wish I could give it a better score because it is a great game but in it's current state... BROKEN! This is my honest review and opinion. Expand
  94. Feb 11, 2014
    I've been waiting for a stellar MMOFPS title. A friend recommended I give Planetside 2 a try, and try it I did. Planetside 2 is massive, as the genre classification would suggest, and offers tons of places to go. But the glaring problem is that PS2 is completely aimless, cheap, and at times ugly in its presentation. There is little rhyme or reason to what you're doing. There is nextI've been waiting for a stellar MMOFPS title. A friend recommended I give Planetside 2 a try, and try it I did. Planetside 2 is massive, as the genre classification would suggest, and offers tons of places to go. But the glaring problem is that PS2 is completely aimless, cheap, and at times ugly in its presentation. There is little rhyme or reason to what you're doing. There is next to zero help in getting started. There are several vehicles which are somewhat appealing but anything in the air is tough to control and requires an insanely high level of precision and mastery to be effective with. PS2 is perhaps the worst FPS experience for newcomers on the market. The graphics always look like they're stuck in beta builds no matter how powerful your graphics card is. I constantly wished for more cohesion amongst players and objectives but was constantly disappointed. The freedom aspect is a nice IDEA that is entirely left undeveloped. If you wish to do anything in this game, you MUST go where the hordes are. Taking bases can be fun but there's a heavy amount of patience required whether you're on offense or defense. PS2 made me long for Guild Wars 2's World vs World PVP, which I felt was a bit too massive and tough to work with. There is a pillar or two upon which Planetside 2 can stand on. It's a free to play game so there's no such thing as a waste of money, only time (but time is money, right?). There is some variation to play styles and classes and, when you finally do get the hang of the game after numerous hours and a terrible learning curve, there is some intense fun that can be had. But the fun is fleeting - coming and going almost in an instant. The best moments tend to be when a smaller pocket of resistance is met where you aren't potentially being targeted by 400 enemies. MMOFPS is a genre that is guaranteed to work, but titles like Destiny or The Division, which are on their way for PCs and consoles in 2014, find better balances and won't force you to constantly play with complete strangers or unorganized factions/guilds. If Planetside 2 could offer some good fun away from the large battles, maybe there would be something special here. But nothing is special, beautiful, reasonable or interesting about Planetside 2. Unless Sony completely overhauls a future title and I receive credible word about this franchise evolving into a complete game experience, I won't even bother with a free-to-play Planetside 3 and beyond. Expand
  95. Oct 28, 2013
    The game is not newbie friendly, you cannot accomplish anything, solo. While I realize it is meant to be a huge battlefield game, there are limits. The shop is intended to make people, including people with a subscription, to spend extra money on an inferior game.

Planetside 1 had a whole host of issues... planetside 2 has almost all of the same issues, but is free to play. Take my advise, go buy a battlefield game, save for titanfall, etc. This is not worth the hard disk space. How it has an overwhelmingly positive review is far beyond me.

I can see some good in it but it cannot overshadow the bad. Takes a thousand and one anti-vehicle weapons to take out a friggin BUGGY!!! AN ARMED CAR!!!! Let alone a tank... There are so many things that could have made this game, one of the BEST SHOOTERS, in history, but they just took it the wrong direction. I realize this is an opinion but at least make it so infantry can KILL TANKS WITHOUT HAVING TO HOSE IT DOWN WITH A THOUSAND ROCKETS!!!! ESPECIALLY SINCE THERE CAN BE SEVERAL HUNDRED IN AN AREA IN AT A GIVEN TIME!!!! Oh sure, you can justify that it has a long cooldown before you can order another but... by the time its destroyed most drivers will have spent around 30+ minutes in one...

The health/shield system is appalling, it makes halo's system look bloody brilliant! The starter weapons are akin to pellet guns. Try taking on more than 3 at a time when you are alone? Doesnt work, does it? Nope you just die instantly... What is the point of playing a game where you cannot 'feel like you are making a difference' in a persistent universe. 1v1, about who can aim, 2v1 you will die unless you are lucky, 3v1 you are dead. They do not reward skill! While I realize this is not one of those types of games it does not do the shooter genre any justice.
  96. Mar 6, 2013
    At first glance, Planetside 2 looks like what FPS fans would describe as a perfect FPS. Heaps of guns, huge maps, people running everywhere, vehicles and just generally massive scale warfare. Sadly, it is far from it, it could have been, but isn't. Planetside 2 is a game plagued with bugs that haven't been fixed, pay to win business model, especially when it comes to vehicles, optimizationAt first glance, Planetside 2 looks like what FPS fans would describe as a perfect FPS. Heaps of guns, huge maps, people running everywhere, vehicles and just generally massive scale warfare. Sadly, it is far from it, it could have been, but isn't. Planetside 2 is a game plagued with bugs that haven't been fixed, pay to win business model, especially when it comes to vehicles, optimization easily the worst I have ever seen (20-30 fps on my high end machine with every setting on dead low), disgusting textures (1997ish textures on low, impossible to play it higher), hackers everywhere with no solid attempt to overcome them (even though it is impossible to get rid of them in a F2P shooter so why bother i guess), awfully confusing UI, so bad that it actually causes performance issues, horrifically slow progression (after playing 70 hours I have unlocked 1 weapon which is the cheapest ones). Balance is pretty bad, players will never be able to be a pilot without spending money to unlock the must have items for the aircraft, and tanks can be improved as the default machine gun that most of the vehicles have are god awful. The price of the items are ridiculous, as usual with all free to play games, $15 subscriptions basically get you nothing and guns are like $7-10 dollars. Seriously, has any company actually tried selling their products at an acceptable price? Perhaps they would be more successful if they catered to people who aren't rich or have no sense of value with currency.

Planetside 2 could have easily been that amazing MMO-FPS game that fans are really wanting, but with all these horrible issues that still haven't been fixed, or even improved upon after I returned to playing Planetside 2, I am quite skeptical that this game will ever be worth your time.
  97. Nov 14, 2013
    Often a 1v1 close encounter will result in whoever gets a head-shot or who is a Vanu. If you use aim-down sights, your strafing ability is wrecked (even with the guns which only cut it by 50%), if you use hip fire you'll probably be lucky to get a head-shot which gives you an annoying choice where one is rarely better than the other and you regret not doing it the other way. No snipingOften a 1v1 close encounter will result in whoever gets a head-shot or who is a Vanu. If you use aim-down sights, your strafing ability is wrecked (even with the guns which only cut it by 50%), if you use hip fire you'll probably be lucky to get a head-shot which gives you an annoying choice where one is rarely better than the other and you regret not doing it the other way. No sniping would encourage more infantry since sniping is the reason why you wouldn't play infantry at all. No headshots and you could keep sniping because then you couldn't pin down any inferior number of infantry. Knifing is awesome though. This game is totally the opposite of traditional FPS and it's such a shame because without all the modern features and mechanics it would be amazing. Sometimes it's obvious you should play World of Tanks/Planes when you actually want to play infantry other than Infiltrator. Vehicle and air play is really good but if you're not into it, you'll really tire of waiting to invade the enemy base only to find they give up really fast and you sit around for 3-10 minutes for capture because you cannot move on to take the next base. Stealth-killing is risky but it doesn't really suit this game since it is very anti-rush and there should be power in numbers and should not reward luck. Cloak is easy to spot and triggering it on/off is very audible. Any class can be stealthy but with a lot of open areas and places to snipe, sometimes the game becomes incredibly frustrating. Engineers have to be vulnerable to repair vehicles which doesn't really make sense when you're using a damn gun to repair stuff, a lot of fights are just explosives blowing up everything and driving back to try and push towards the enemy base. The choice of armors is pretty much either reduced bullet damage or reduced explosive damage, but even with flak armor, you can get 1 shot by rockets fired by infantry (it's still useful though (just not much)). Nanoweave is a necessity if you're interested in close/mid-range infantry combat. Often a nade/c4 or air fire will likely result in you being useless anyway. Sadly the game is not very well optimized and has some crash problems. Then there's the issue where you cannot pre-load areas you are going to deploy to which means less action! Instant action sometimes doesn't work and honestly there is zero sense to this feature since drop podding into an enemy base and pod-crashing air units is very unfair. By the way I can fly a plane into another one and mine will blow up while the other continues on it's merry way with no damage taken. Instant action is for solo players and PS2 is NOT for solo gamers. Killing people...it's fun but not rewarding in the context of credits...objectives are the most important thing which I feel is a bit silly since taking over bases with a big group is rarely fun (usually the numbers are heavily one-sided). PS2 had potential but got some of the fundamentals wrong. Smaller worlds with less paths to go through would result in more intense battles and less running around. More corridors would encourage confrontation rather than waiting for more players and limit the usefulness of vehicles. Instead it's scrap battles everywhere and a platoon of players who stomp one place, while one of your platoons stomps some other place which is absolutely boring, most of the problem is that there are THREE worlds and when you're losing in one world, you go to another world. I don't know why, but this is a fatal flaw in PS2, I've seen it ruin other games. Expand
  98. Nov 28, 2012
    Key points ~ It's a shooter, and a persistent world. You can play any class at any time and optimize as you see fit . It has ground vehicle/infantry/aircraft mixture. It is a strategy game, caveat being it's largely MMO shooter based .. so can tend be be fairly random as to it's nature. Sometimes this emergence is fun, sometimes it's frustrating and defeating.

This is not a pay to win

This is not a pay to win game. This is not a free to play game either in a sense of fairness, there are basic weapons you will want to buy.

this is a grind game, so in the initial start for instance very few .. very very few have even optimized a single class the way they see fit. You have to grindand even a scope may take you a couple hours to work toward. Advatage unanimously goes to the game whales, this means people paying money will be better off buying farmed characters than paying for gold (I don't recommend either the game is actually fun). The most disconcerting thing in this game is the sheer rockface of farming that ust happen to achieve, it is likely to create a very selective player base .. which has nothng to do with "what" type of game they prefer .. but what a couple hoursof your freetime a night will profit an average player.

This game is a descendent of tanarus and then planetside 1 both of which came out over 10 years ago.
    The strategy and fun is still there even while farming for weapon upgrades ect. But the whales will have a significant advantage maybe 20% over the new guy .

I give this game an 7- 8 (going with 8 for now under benefit of doubt) for 2 reasons mainly ~ too many indistinguishable hacks/glitches, and 2 much farming. Otherwise I would give this game a 9 for it's creative / sandboxy feel and gameplay. This is also a very difficult game, in the sense a new player is going to have a rough time trying to get their feet in~ which is fine. But because it's bot farmy and difficult I think 2 strikes will not attract new players .. but rather only game abuses.
  99. Viy
    Feb 19, 2013
    This game is free to play as a spectator, If you want to help your team or be anything other than cannon fodder then you have to spend money. I was looking for a game to play that I wouldn't mind paying some money for a couple extras, but, being defenseless and building my char around my credit card, terrible.
  100. Aug 1, 2013
    This is the worst gaming experience I have ever experienced. I play BF3 on high settings with under 50 ping, but in PS2, players are teleporting everywhere with the worst lag I've ever seen in a multiplayer game. This is why I stay clear of free to play games. Awful, just awful.
  101. Dec 14, 2012