PlanetSide 2 PC

7.0

1. Mar 26, 2014
    >Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game
    This guy said it best in his review
    bi0mech81 Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate
    >Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game
    This guy said it best in his review

bi0mech81

Frustrating and not fun describes my initial reaction to this game. First and foremost is the learning curve. from the start you spawn in the middle of a fight with nothing telling you what your objectives are, or even where your teammates are. Should you be unfortunate enough to spawn in the middle of a tank fight (as was my first experience) you feel helpless as you die, respawn, and die again as soon as you respawn. An in-game "Newbie" area, some kind of zone where you go only when you first start a character would be greatly appreciated as throughout my first hour of gameplay I was consistantly pitted against players of level 38 or higher. The extremely large playing area makes snipers and tanks gods on the ground. I have not been able to fly any of the aircraft, yet because everytime I spawn an air vehicle it is destroyed immediately. I'm not an avid FPS player by any stretch of the means- I grew up on Doom, Quake, and UT, and I manage about a 1:1 Kill to death ratio in CoD, and tend to play support roles in TF2. On average I have 2 kills and over 50 deaths in planet side due to spawn camping. spawning at a point that is distant from the battle just means I get to run for 10 minutes to die from a sniper that I can't see. Playing a supporting role in PS2 is down right rage-inducing. Healing a friendly player may or may not reward XP, and unlike TF2, you cannot heal a heavy to keep them up while they sustain gunfire. Reviving fallen players is fairly pointless unless they died less than 2 seconds in front of you. The Engineer's turret is too inaccurate for the distances at which forces are regularly engaged in. The tanks are done well- and in many cases are over-powered. many of the bases are designed so you can just snipe away at the enemy generator with your tank and destroy it without worry of being engaged by the defenders. Running over your own teammates results in a suicide for them, and no penalty for yourself- great if you just want to troll your own team, as is often the case. What this game direly needs is level segregation of some form- whether it's designated levels for zones where as you out level the zone you do less damage, or you cannot respawn into a zone you are out leveled for, something needs to give a new player some fudge-factor to learn how the game works besides dropping you straight into a fight that you are grossly under leveled for.

I completely agree with everything he said, it's like he was reading my mind.

Uninstalled after 2 hours of playing and I was even with my brother which should have helped the overall fun factor.
    >overrated
    >walking simulator
    >friendly fire
    >poor balance
    >no level separation
  2. Nov 21, 2012
    This game is not finished. It feels rushed. I tried playing it but given that there was little to no tutorial I found myself running around and dying repeatedly with no idea what I was doing. My default FPS experience worked fine when I was running and gunning with no real game plan; it was when I tried to play a medic or engineer that the true frustration came in. I'm generally a supportThis game is not finished. It feels rushed. I tried playing it but given that there was little to no tutorial I found myself running around and dying repeatedly with no idea what I was doing. My default FPS experience worked fine when I was running and gunning with no real game plan; it was when I tried to play a medic or engineer that the true frustration came in. I'm generally a support character because I feel that the 13 years olds' are simply better shots than me in my twenties. I like to heal people or repair generators.

My short stint in this game as a medic proved an act of futility. My attempt at reviving downed players resulted in bugs. Revive icons were always lateral to the actual downed player leading to much confusion on the battlefield and 90% of the time the game didn't even register that I was reviving someone! Nothing like standing out in the open with the camera pointing down for precious extra seconds hoping the medic gun would actually connect and I would not only do some good on the battlefield but earn my well deserved XP!

My stint as an engineer led to just as much frustration with the announcer stating there was a generator down without stating what generator or where. There was no tutorial for the HUD map so I had no idea if the generator even had a waypoint nor could I find a legend to speak of to figure it out on my own. Obsessively the announcer would inform me of a downed generator and it likewise being repaired but I gave up trying to find it after wandering aimlessly throughout all of the buildings dying over and over in an attempt to repair it! Finally as a standard, assaulting, run and gun player did I find ANY resemblance of a typical MMO shooter. The sheer number of players was both impressive AND chaotic since death literally loomed over every corner. This is more of a personal preference really since the original game was much the same. I personally think this volume is too much chaos but I can see the appeal.

In conclusion, this game DESPERATELY needs a proper tutorial outside of the gaming community to teach the various aspects of the game. Had I had such a tutorial I feel as though I would have been much more forgiving with the other faults as I could have at least participated in the fray instead of simply dying repeatedly in an attempt to bring myself to a mere novice level.
  3. Dec 3, 2012
    Not the best performance but iam sure they fix it later. The graphic is ok the landscape is acceptable. After 10h of playing Planetside 2 its not a game i can play every day. Its a Battlefield 3 in the future with more players, up 2000 players on one map. There is a great reward-system so you get much thinks to unlock. And its also Free to Play. Just test this game its worth.
  4. Dec 10, 2012
    Having never played PlanetSide, but having heard lots about it, I was quite intrigued to try PlanetSide 2. The whole idea of scale and options within a FREE game seem very appealing to me. I knew what i was getting in for though. It's a pay to pwn game, but not as much as others in its class and I don't hold that against it. For first time players like me, the first few games are a littleHaving never played PlanetSide, but having heard lots about it, I was quite intrigued to try PlanetSide 2. The whole idea of scale and options within a FREE game seem very appealing to me. I knew what i was getting in for though. It's a pay to pwn game, but not as much as others in its class and I don't hold that against it. For first time players like me, the first few games are a little daunting - once you get over the learning curve and figure out whats actually going on - The game opens up and consumes the minutes, hours, days of your life and replaces them with some sort of satisfaction. The game is fast paced, its tactical, it has all of the elements of squad based FPS you would expect but at the same time adds more, the scale is unbelievable and theres a very cool feeling that washes over you as you convoy towards an enemy's base with 50 tanks and 100 troops around you.. Graphics: - Are okay, they obviously had to make some compromises to manage the scale, it's not a huge let down though. I play on a laptop (high spec gaming laptop) and it handles the settings on max without any problems. A fun game, worth picking up and enjoying! Expand
  5. Jan 27, 2013
    While the gameplay, graphics and sound are actually quite good, the game is just not suited for any true PvP player because of it's Pay2Win payment model. This may not stand out as much because of the frequent big battles in which the individual player doesn't have a big impact on, but it's still there.

PS2 has it's good moments when playing with several other people over voice comm, but that's just not enough for me when I want to play against other people on an equal footing.
  6. Jun 5, 2013
    Loads of potential crippled by the engines inability to address multi core CPU's, hyper-threading or use more than 50% of your GPU. DirectX 9.................

This game has so much potential that gets gimped at every turn because of the poor choice of engine development. As it sits currently you will be netting about 30 fps in a firefight on two GTX780's in SLI and a I7 overclocked to 5 GHZ. The total lack of any game optimization, it's inability to properly address multui core CPU's or perform hyper-threading, or take advantage of multi GPU setups really hinder the games play-ability and overall enjoyment level.

The game is solid, the devs are working tirelessly on balance issues but the core looming issue has gone unaddressed for so long i now have to believe it is simply technologically impossible for this game to ever play at acceptable fluid frame rates for a modern day gamer. It really really puts a sour taste in most gamers mouths that can become too large of a pill to swallow.

If you value your frame rate, have a 120 hz monitor or own high end hardware this game is not for you, you wont last long before the frustration sends you packing back to your old friend because 30 FPS were simply to painful to bear with for more than a few hours.
  7. Nov 14, 2013
    Often a 1v1 close encounter will result in whoever gets a head-shot or who is a Vanu. If you use aim-down sights, your strafing ability is wrecked (even with the guns which only cut it by 50%), if you use hip fire you'll probably be lucky to get a head-shot which gives you an annoying choice where one is rarely better than the other and you regret not doing it the other way. No snipingOften a 1v1 close encounter will result in whoever gets a head-shot or who is a Vanu. If you use aim-down sights, your strafing ability is wrecked (even with the guns which only cut it by 50%), if you use hip fire you'll probably be lucky to get a head-shot which gives you an annoying choice where one is rarely better than the other and you regret not doing it the other way. No sniping would encourage more infantry since sniping is the reason why you wouldn't play infantry at all. No headshots and you could keep sniping because then you couldn't pin down any inferior number of infantry. Knifing is awesome though. This game is totally the opposite of traditional FPS and it's such a shame because without all the modern features and mechanics it would be amazing. Sometimes it's obvious you should play World of Tanks/Planes when you actually want to play infantry other than Infiltrator. Vehicle and air play is really good but if you're not into it, you'll really tire of waiting to invade the enemy base only to find they give up really fast and you sit around for 3-10 minutes for capture because you cannot move on to take the next base. Stealth-killing is risky but it doesn't really suit this game since it is very anti-rush and there should be power in numbers and should not reward luck. Cloak is easy to spot and triggering it on/off is very audible. Any class can be stealthy but with a lot of open areas and places to snipe, sometimes the game becomes incredibly frustrating. Engineers have to be vulnerable to repair vehicles which doesn't really make sense when you're using a damn gun to repair stuff, a lot of fights are just explosives blowing up everything and driving back to try and push towards the enemy base. The choice of armors is pretty much either reduced bullet damage or reduced explosive damage, but even with flak armor, you can get 1 shot by rockets fired by infantry (it's still useful though (just not much)). Nanoweave is a necessity if you're interested in close/mid-range infantry combat. Often a nade/c4 or air fire will likely result in you being useless anyway. Sadly the game is not very well optimized and has some crash problems. Then there's the issue where you cannot pre-load areas you are going to deploy to which means less action! Instant action sometimes doesn't work and honestly there is zero sense to this feature since drop podding into an enemy base and pod-crashing air units is very unfair. By the way I can fly a plane into another one and mine will blow up while the other continues on it's merry way with no damage taken. Instant action is for solo players and PS2 is NOT for solo gamers. Killing people...it's fun but not rewarding in the context of credits...objectives are the most important thing which I feel is a bit silly since taking over bases with a big group is rarely fun (usually the numbers are heavily one-sided). PS2 had potential but got some of the fundamentals wrong. Smaller worlds with less paths to go through would result in more intense battles and less running around. More corridors would encourage confrontation rather than waiting for more players and limit the usefulness of vehicles. Instead it's scrap battles everywhere and a platoon of players who stomp one place, while one of your platoons stomps some other place which is absolutely boring, most of the problem is that there are THREE worlds and when you're losing in one world, you go to another world. I don't know why, but this is a fatal flaw in PS2, I've seen it ruin other games. Expand
  8. Jan 29, 2013
    It is awesome to play and extremely addictive. It's got a very long learning curve but most people are willing to give out tips as there's no tutorial. Just stick with it, always find cover and expect to die a lot for a time. The games a little shallow if you have not got a mic but the teamwork and banter can be fantastic if you do have one. It's easy to make friends and I now play withIt is awesome to play and extremely addictive. It's got a very long learning curve but most people are willing to give out tips as there's no tutorial. Just stick with it, always find cover and expect to die a lot for a time. The games a little shallow if you have not got a mic but the teamwork and banter can be fantastic if you do have one. It's easy to make friends and I now play with regulars everyday. Joining an outfit and befriending a few select veterans really helps to keep the game fresh and you'll soon learn who the best platoon and squad leaders are within your chosen faction on your server. The sheer scale of the battles can be brilliant and being in a squad is essential to survival and capping territory. The game has got quite a few issues which will hopefully be addressed as it is still early days. There are lots of little bugs such as being killed by a turret when you finish repairing it and hackers sometimes ruin things etc etc but its still a great experience. My game lags like crazy when the scale of battle gets too large so having a decent setup helps. I'm worried that the novelty will ware off soon as there isnt any real sense of accomplishment in the grand scale of things, all you gain is XP and certs and leveling up doesnt really mean anything. Hopefully they will make the game more rewarding in the furture and give people reason to stick with it. As a game that is free it is pretty epic and a must try for anyone interetsed in team work and large scale battles. TR forever Expand
  9. Jun 5, 2014
    Oh Planetside 2. How you fail to grasp the concept on what "Fun" is. Did your community trick around in the game engine and found some cool looking glitch that had no chance of being used practically whatsoever? Ban & Remove it.

Did your veteran fans have the audacity to contact you in order to perhaps get on an unannounced & not planned double SC weekend at Saturday 00:01 as they bought SC at regular value at Friday, 23:59? Tell em to go f*ck off.

Then again, people should have known better than to spend valuable money on people that have no idea on how to run a business, and even less so, develop a video-game. As of today with only 3,000 players left from 10,000-30,000, Planetside 2 and Sony Online Entertainment are the leading prime-examples on how to not run a business.
  10. Mar 9, 2013
    Really loved this game when it first came out. The persistent world, the graphics and I found it ran smoothly. However, it felt repetitive, without a sense of finale. The gunplay doesn't match up to other FPS I enjoy. Also not a huge fan of the credit of monetization model. I did purchase some weapons to give some support to the devs and for free or however much you want to pay the game isReally loved this game when it first came out. The persistent world, the graphics and I found it ran smoothly. However, it felt repetitive, without a sense of finale. The gunplay doesn't match up to other FPS I enjoy. Also not a huge fan of the credit of monetization model. I did purchase some weapons to give some support to the devs and for free or however much you want to pay the game is great value. Expand
  11. May 22, 2013
    I find it amusing the people giving this game low scores are crying it is too hard or you need to spend hours getting the 'good' weapons. I have been playing this game for a while now and still haven't spent a cent and manage to more than hold my own. If you came from a COD background then this game is definitely too hard for you it involves tactics and skill. Battlefield players willI find it amusing the people giving this game low scores are crying it is too hard or you need to spend hours getting the 'good' weapons. I have been playing this game for a while now and still haven't spent a cent and manage to more than hold my own. If you came from a COD background then this game is definitely too hard for you it involves tactics and skill. Battlefield players will feel much more at home and the depth of customisation is a breath of fresh air in this game genre. The large scale battles and varying roles you can play make for some great extended gaming sessions and unique battles. Having a mike is essential as there is no time to type and noone pays attention to the typers anyhow. The only issue is the same as with most other online games gen i jerkoffs who think they are gods gift polluting the airwaves with their ridiculous dribble. Expand
  12. Mar 22, 2013
    Terrible performance issues i wont ever go near this game again.
    Tested it out and it runs appaling how on earth can you expect people to play this garbage it runs like a slide show on high end gear.
    What mess cya
  13. Nov 27, 2012
    I am loving the game so far, it is the only game of it's kind out there for FPS's. The game shines at large combined combat with you Oufit and faction. The down side I think it needed a few more map for launch, example home continents and a bases that link continents from your home one like the first game. I now this in coming but I have to take some off for the early launch.
  14. Nov 25, 2012
    Game was not ready for launch there is rendering distance issues, server lag issues, and many other things that the beta testers made them aware of that they ignored. All unlocks bought with cash only stay on 1 character and are non transferable which they do not make clear when you purchase. Devs pretend to listen to the community but do nothing about the complaints so far. They justGame was not ready for launch there is rendering distance issues, server lag issues, and many other things that the beta testers made them aware of that they ignored. All unlocks bought with cash only stay on 1 character and are non transferable which they do not make clear when you purchase. Devs pretend to listen to the community but do nothing about the complaints so far. They just take the giant threads asking for them to change something broken and move them to the back corner of the forums and ignore them. Maybe it will get better and hey its F2P just don't bother spending any real money on it. Expand
  15. Mar 3, 2013
    Sadly my review will mostly echo the main criticisms I've seen on here of the game. The learning curve is relatively steep, and though you won't generally get endlessly flamed by your teammates (one individual's failure, on average, can be a drop in the bucket given the sheer scale of combat in the game), unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated and or very very good, don't expect to beSadly my review will mostly echo the main criticisms I've seen on here of the game. The learning curve is relatively steep, and though you won't generally get endlessly flamed by your teammates (one individual's failure, on average, can be a drop in the bucket given the sheer scale of combat in the game), unless you are EXTREMELY dedicated and or very very good, don't expect to be upgrading your character's certs with any sort of regularity without dropping some cash on the game. I had some extra Station Cash from my EQ2 F2p days and dropped them on some starting guns, but even that small initially boost was not enough to alleviate the utter curbstompering I experienced at the hands of the most modestly geared opponents. Add to that the insanely high system reqs (to be expected when there's a couple hundred people in one warzone), and you have a very frustrating gaming experience with very, very little payout in terms of seeing your "character" progress. Expand
  16. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is more or less a Battlefield 3 clone with League of Legends inspired micro-transactions. Compared to the original Planetside, PS2 has improved visuals and a better flight model for its aircraft, but is otherwise an inferior product. If you are a long standing Battlefield veteran that is looking for some time to burn you will probably find some enjoyment in this title but to beThis game is more or less a Battlefield 3 clone with League of Legends inspired micro-transactions. Compared to the original Planetside, PS2 has improved visuals and a better flight model for its aircraft, but is otherwise an inferior product. If you are a long standing Battlefield veteran that is looking for some time to burn you will probably find some enjoyment in this title but to be honest BF3 (which I consider to be the worst in series) is just a better version of this game. Expand
  17. Mar 27, 2014
    I sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amountI sincerely hope this game is a joke. The lack of balance here is ridiculous, and the free to play model here is so pay-to-win that it's fairly impossible to win without a significant amount of players who have payed for the game. In fact, it's difficult to win without a decent amount of people on your team at all. The game is a total steamroll, and a luck based one at that, for the amount of players on your team is totally random. The lack of killcam promotes camping, and there's no strategy required once you've found a corner to spam from. The entire game feels unfinished and soulless, only play this if you're a call of duty fan with no regard for well-crafted game design. Expand
  18. Mar 7, 2015
    In sometime in 2013/2014 i got this game, it was awesome and all but it lagged my laptop to death. Now 2 years later I come back with a semi-descent PC to see the only optimizations they've made is lower texture res, I genuinely think it runs slower than it did 2 years ago. They abandon the PC for some stupid PS port. Don't play this plague.
  19. Oct 16, 2014
    Planetside 2 has this huge disparity between people just starting out and those that have a lot of time put in. Unless you're spending really money, don't expect to be able to go head to head with anyone in the first couple months.

The gameplay is fun but the game has horrendous balance, most people in close up firefights end up going heavy more than half the time
  20. Oct 9, 2014
    The learning curve is tough, and the periodic updates may make the game crash, but the improvements and eventual fixes that have evolved in this game are amazing. A highly engaged community keeps balance improvements and new content coming. If you haven't played since 2012, they've added tutorials, a full scale shooting range, objective and achievement improvements, a 4th continent, 3 newThe learning curve is tough, and the periodic updates may make the game crash, but the improvements and eventual fixes that have evolved in this game are amazing. A highly engaged community keeps balance improvements and new content coming. If you haven't played since 2012, they've added tutorials, a full scale shooting range, objective and achievement improvements, a 4th continent, 3 new vehicles, and countless weapons. Play it for the giant scale, the huge 200+ player battles, and the nearly endless strategies one can employ. Just try and resist the urge to buy camouflage from their store. Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2012
    ...seriously just an "OK" game. Mostly a place for spam players and campers. Playing as a team or solo, you feel useless. If you're a fan of Black Ops, Modern Warfare, or the old Counter-Strike, this isn't the game for you.
  22. Sep 12, 2014
    this game used to be fun but now it's just hitch, hitch, hitch, hitch and it's been like this for around a month now. absolutely gamebreaking and SOE aren't doing anything about it. useless company, useless game.
  23. Jul 2, 2014
    I didn't really like this game so I'll just focus on the bad points in order of most annoyances.
    1) Big **** mindless open world pvp, strategy and tactic is hard to pull off when you need either 100 people cooperating or your up agaisn't 100 enemies. Just so very mindless unless you hit low populated areas. 2) Certs are extremely slowly rewarded, frustrating stuck with starter weapons and bored. 3) Pay2FastTrack game (another form of P2W) want to try lots of things and have fun? If you could Pay $60 to unlock everything (likes a normal game) that would be an absolute bargain in PS2, but you know they are greedy. 4) Yes it's a large scale game, but those graphics are ugly as hell, nothing stands out its just dull unless you are flying. 5) Overall ok game to start with but how you play you realise there are better games out there to play instead, on a side note Sony will kill H1Z1 if it has anything like a PS2 item shop.
  24. Jan 29, 2013
    Awesome looking game, the closest to war you can get on PC. It's amazing to spawn into a fully functioning airbase where there are fighters reloading and air transports loading up troops. The demanding graphics makes sure that the game looks like crap for any setting below high. Gunplay was solid. However game progress is going to be slow if you are not aiming to spend money, if you areAwesome looking game, the closest to war you can get on PC. It's amazing to spawn into a fully functioning airbase where there are fighters reloading and air transports loading up troops. The demanding graphics makes sure that the game looks like crap for any setting below high. Gunplay was solid. However game progress is going to be slow if you are not aiming to spend money, if you are aiming to get for example missle pods on aircraft be prepared to grind. Expand
  25. May 11, 2013
    I played this game for four hours and this game is insanely overrated. Have fun figuring out what to do given the fact that if your new the servers population doesnt give a sh*t about you. I couldnt even find enemys in my four hour game time do to the fact i kept getting team killed by players who just thought it was hilarious to spawn kill all of thier team mates coming out of theI played this game for four hours and this game is insanely overrated. Have fun figuring out what to do given the fact that if your new the servers population doesnt give a sh*t about you. I couldnt even find enemys in my four hour game time do to the fact i kept getting team killed by players who just thought it was hilarious to spawn kill all of thier team mates coming out of the teleporters. There is little to no weapon balance as begginer players will get destroyed ans stand no chance until the rank up and your crazy if you want me to play for 12+ hours to just be on even ground. So overall if your not a fan already, ignore this garbage. Expand
  26. May 16, 2013
    Based off my personal experience with this product it wouldn't be too far fetched to say Planetside 2 is used to torture political dissidents in Iranian prisons.
  27. Jun 5, 2013
    I would love to like the game more, but I feel like the more chances I give them to address the issues that bug me the more I am let down.

A few things to note about the game off the bat: 1) Hit detection is client side. 2) The game is HEAVILY CPU bound. 3) It is free to play, and you could theoretically play without paying anything..but that would take ages. 4) Most vehicle

A few things to note about the game off the bat:

1) Hit detection is client side.
    2) The game is HEAVILY CPU bound.
    4) Most vehicle weaponry costs 700 station cash (7 USD if you buy it straight up with no station cash sales).
    5) There are 3 factions, yet only two of them have any kind of face representing them on the dev team and one of the factions is heavily favored in the dev team.

So going down the list.

1) Hit detection being client side means the game has had droves of cheaters exploit that fact, and they have a hard time dealing with them. They have GMs announce their presence when they login so people can get cheaters dealt with a little faster, but these GMs are sporadic at best. And you have to either remember their name or hope you can scroll back to get it when you run into a cheater. Admittedly the cheating has gotten less rampant, but anytime there's a "special" XP event they come out of the woodwork and the GMs are never to be seen.

On the topic of cheaters, there are players who exploit the game or exploit the spirit of the EULA, get banned for a week or two...but get to keep all of their ill gotten XP with a slap on the wrist. Many of them being pretty well known players. You'll notice a few of them were BR 100 (max level) weeks, maybe months ahead of the everyone else. With whacked out stats that seem impossible as hell on their stats page. SOE claims to not condone this behavior, yet it does nothing to discourage aside from a week long ban.....it's a stupid policy and just asks for people to abuse it.

2) CPU Bound performance, Intel CPUs are the favored here. You want a higher clock speed rather than more cores as this game does not utilize cores very well. And often you will find your performance has dropped each game update. GPU matters, but not as much as it should.

3) & 4)

If you were to buy station cash right now to pay for something in game, it'd be 1 dollar for 100 station cash. They have deals where you can get double or triple station cash meaning 1 dollar would be 2x100 or 3x100. Or deals with places like Walmart where a 15 dollar game card 2000 station cash (20 dollar equiv) and can be doubled or tripled on the special deal events. But their prices normally are 7 dollars for any weapon worth having generally. Aesthetic items go from 100 to 2000 (different colored pistols being the highest priced item atm).

There are membership subscriptions, XP boosters, and many other things to buy for the game. All to speed up your XP gain which means more certs. Which certs are used to upgrade or buy weaponry. You can not buy aesthetic items with certs. It is much more time efficient to buy the weaponry with station cash that you buy on one of the 2x or 3x deals and use the certs to upgrade stuff only.

I will say I am a little under $100 bucks into the game at this point, and I used 2x/3x deals to buy the majority of it and bought a lot of my items in bundles or on daily deals (half off regular price for the day) to stretch out what I got. But on average I'm still paying 2-3 dollars per item.

Now this wouldn't be so incredibly bad IF the items were not constantly screwed around with and nerfed to make room for the "new" guns to come out to get people to buy it for the latest and greatest.

This is probably the primary reason I feel like the game is a sham right now, because they have to sell items to keep the doors open...so instead of making new interesting items, they keep reducing the effectiveness of existing weapons and pumping out similar items with old mechanics but better numbers.

I'd say I easily have 40 dollars worth of weaponry that I don't even bother trying to use because it's pointless to even waste time with it since they've ruined it. I will direct your attention to any HE turret, not only did they lengthen it's reload time to crazy times, but they also lowered it's ability to damage to vehicles and players significantly since the game has been released. You are better off using any other turret than the HE unless you are shooting from super far off at infantry. There are plenty of examples in every weapon type of this game where items were just made completely useless through constant intentional and unintentional nerfs.

5) It won't be a popular subject, but I play TR. I see that VS and NC are represented quite vocally on the dev team, NC especially with Higby. I'll just leave it at that, but I recommend picking NC if you want to be kept happy.

I am reviewing this the day Game Update 10 was released. I am not a happy player or customer with the direction this game is going and how slow they are to address things.
  28. Mar 24, 2014
    I've played this game since beta... even played planetside 1 which I enjoyed(the base fights were awesome!). This game is never fun... here are some reasons:

1) you spend 99% of the time bored, running in vast empty lands just to get to a fight. running 20 mins to get to a 5 min fight is not my idea of "epic". 2) Almost all spawns are dependant on other players deciding where to

2) Almost all spawns are dependant on other players deciding where to deploy. So your left with extremely fustrating options...(see my previous point)

3) Game is 100% pay to win/avoid grinding. 7.50$ to buy each gun... that's a ripoff and it ruins the gaming experience. So unless your spending 300$, you are essentially not enjoying the full experience of this game.

4) The bases are extremely bland and boring. It amounts to nothing but a copy paste of the same pixels

5) Everyone is forced to squad/platoon together and this is not fine when your gaming revolves spending your time camping empty bases with no enemy's to kill "just because" it's the team objective. YOU HAVE NO OPTIONS, this is the gameplay, follow the zerg or DO NOTHING.

6. The bases and fights are incredibly bland. Nothing special about them... there's no epic element about the MMO aspect.... after 2-3 hours you'll realise the first 10 mins is exactly like your 50th hour.

7. Everyone wants to play a tank or vehicle class. The problem is it only takes 1 or 2 of these to paralyze 50+ infantry. Why is this bad? Basically, this game has NO INFANTRY battles... almost all fights are just zergfests between Vehicles killing each other. You never actually duel other "soldiers".

I keep reinstalling the game, reminding myself how stupid of an idea it was.

After 10 mins, I get fustrated and log off...
  29. Dec 1, 2012
    This game is far from being completed and will likely be added to for years. What they have already is amazing, and they are constantly patching and adding more stuff. If you are not working with a group, the game is not the same honestly. If you have a full platoon of 48 people all working together? Oh my god the feeling is unmatched. The feeling of turning the tide of a major battleThis game is far from being completed and will likely be added to for years. What they have already is amazing, and they are constantly patching and adding more stuff. If you are not working with a group, the game is not the same honestly. If you have a full platoon of 48 people all working together? Oh my god the feeling is unmatched. The feeling of turning the tide of a major battle involving hundreds of players? It is amazing! Orders are given and things get done and it is one of the most rewarding feelings I have ever had in any game ever. The game still needs a ton of work, but it is getting better daily. It is also free to play so really, there is no reason not to try it. Expand
  30. Apr 12, 2013
    i have no problem with the game it runs well, 40 fps in large battles, nice optimization but the f problem is that at times it doesn't work at all, this is worse than WOW phasing, i don't know what development team they have but you FREAKING SHOOT 50 BULLETS AT A PERSON 1 YARD IN FRONT OF YOU AND YOU DO 0 DAMAGE, YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THE FUTURE FPS THEY CAN SHOOT YOU BUT YOU CAN'T!, i pointi have no problem with the game it runs well, 40 fps in large battles, nice optimization but the f problem is that at times it doesn't work at all, this is worse than WOW phasing, i don't know what development team they have but you FREAKING SHOOT 50 BULLETS AT A PERSON 1 YARD IN FRONT OF YOU AND YOU DO 0 DAMAGE, YEAH THAT'S RIGHT THE FUTURE FPS THEY CAN SHOOT YOU BUT YOU CAN'T!, i point this 8 weeks ago and still isn't fixed, all they care is about selling weapons and other but fixing this god damn game doesn't matter to them. THIS GAME IS WORSE THAN WAR Z AT LEAST YOU CAN PLAY THAT Expand
  31. May 26, 2013
    What are the good things? Well, no one buys their way in like in most F2Ps, and the class system is pretty good. The rest is sketchy at best. It is I guess supposed to be a little like Battlefield where you join a squad to complete an objective, but that objective never works. Your squad mostly attacks the tanks (which can spawn way too cheaply) and die, go the wrong way and die or justWhat are the good things? Well, no one buys their way in like in most F2Ps, and the class system is pretty good. The rest is sketchy at best. It is I guess supposed to be a little like Battlefield where you join a squad to complete an objective, but that objective never works. Your squad mostly attacks the tanks (which can spawn way too cheaply) and die, go the wrong way and die or just suck and die. The reason? There is way too much going on for the game's own good. I get they were trying to stay away from the conventional FPS where one man wins a war, but when 2500 players from three teams are fighting all the battles are are air strikes and kamikazes and nothing ever gets done. Picture MW with unlimited Harrier Strikes. The concept of huge scale war makes sense, but doing it in badly organized squads doesn't work. And don't try doing anything by yourself, getting nice weapons or rewards for anything is impossible. Expand
  32. Nov 21, 2012
    Keeping the original game's thoughts in mind, I feel they have completely disregarded the fan base in which brought this game into being. I will not be spending the dozens of hours in which I did during the original PlanetSide, just my opinion.
  33. Nov 23, 2012
    Bad attempt to make awesome multiplayer. First this game have one of uglier graphics this year, but this is not crucial for multiplayer game anyways. But, game fail in all other aspects. Glitchy, bad spawn points ruining the action, bad shooting are only few of bad thins this game bring to the table. Only good thing is free to play because if they charge for this would be really cheating.
  34. Nov 21, 2012
    The concept of this game blew me away, I couldn't imagine such a great idea! The Graphics are so impressive, the World is so big and there are so many players. The gameplay is great aswell, it's similiar to a lot of other games out there but when that gameplay meets that big scale, then it just... Dies, litteraly dies. I hate running for 5 to 10 minutes just to get killed when I even getThe concept of this game blew me away, I couldn't imagine such a great idea! The Graphics are so impressive, the World is so big and there are so many players. The gameplay is great aswell, it's similiar to a lot of other games out there but when that gameplay meets that big scale, then it just... Dies, litteraly dies. I hate running for 5 to 10 minutes just to get killed when I even get to the fight. The big World and the gameplay doesn't really fit, if you love to fight. Oh, and about those fights, then the classes you can play are so unbalanced, it's crazy. I know they all got some pros and cons which is good, but it isn't balanced enough. The conclusion: It's a game with great potential, putting all those great aspects together, but not all those great Things fit together, which is sad, when I really want to love the game. Expand
  35. Nov 21, 2012
    I wanted to like the game but, sadly, it comes short at a bit of points. 1st up, you will die. A LOT. VERY EASY.
    2nd, snipers will kill you. A LOT. VERY EASY. This is very annoying as it seems a lot of players do nothing but sit on roofs and shoot at everything that moves, meaning that as soon as you walk outside of a building, you're a dead man. One of the gazillion enemy snipers will 1 shot you.

There is hardly any strafing as you won't hit anything without aiming and when you aim you move really slow and can't strafe.

Something else annoying is that you walk quite a lot to get to the fight, provided a sniper doesn't kill you on the way there, and then die in 2 seconds.
  36. Nov 21, 2012
    Unoptimized beta. Bugs.
    Don't get me wrong, every software has bugs but how can you release a game in beta stage? I sank into the ground 3 times for less than 1 hour. Just an example of what kind of bugs you will come across.
    I like the idea of the game I'm looking forward to play it but please, Sony... Before you release a game make sure doesn't have at least trivial bugs.
  37. Nov 21, 2012
    Great game that will continue to get better! Love it...while there are a few bugs that need some ironing out, this game has a bright future ahead of itself.
  38. Dec 3, 2012
    Incredibly addictive. Just as I thought I'd finally "grown up" and stopped playing PC games for good, Planetside 2 comes out and I find myself completely immersed in the gameplay. This game takes advantage of my decent PC hardware, so I am able to max out all settings and WOW the game really does look incredibly beautiful. At night, playing as Vanu, I see my empire mates' tank shells flyIncredibly addictive. Just as I thought I'd finally "grown up" and stopped playing PC games for good, Planetside 2 comes out and I find myself completely immersed in the gameplay. This game takes advantage of my decent PC hardware, so I am able to max out all settings and WOW the game really does look incredibly beautiful. At night, playing as Vanu, I see my empire mates' tank shells fly and they cast a blinding bright light that itself casts shadows as it wheezes by. I do have a deep concern about this game, though, which is why I've lowered my score from 10 to 8. It's addictive today, it'll be addictive tomorrow, .. but unlike some other sci-fi MMOs like, say, EVE Online, Planetside 2 really has absolutely no depth. There's no point in the chaotic fighting, except to just fight. After seeing my empire capture entire continents now four or five times since the game's launch (this review comes just a week or to after launch) I'm certain I'm going to get bored by the fact that there really is no point. Capturing a continent gets you bonus spending "money" for vehicles and aircraft, but there's no other real point. There's certainly no real story; I've come across a couple hack story ideas (some from Sony) on forums and blogs but there really is no story within the game, you're just out there fighting and respawning, ad nauseum.

There's also no real point in which empire you choose other than favorite music and colors. They're all pretty much the same. Oh, there are variations in vehicle speeds and power, but Sony played it very safe here on the balancing act and trying to keep all factions equal.

The shooter side of the game is solid, if sometimes a little bit plastic. Usually not, but sometimes I feel like I'm using a toy gun from Wal-mart. Sometimes the sound is weak and damage effect is light. The sniper rifle and the shotgun, for example, have no oomph, I suppose the sound engineers must not have very good speakers because I have studio monitors and these feel thin.

Overall, this is a fun game and being free it's definitely worth a shot. I would compare it best to Tribes: Ascend but on a much, much larger map scale in a persistent universe of equally absent meaning.
  39. Feb 15, 2013
    The good... Maps are amazing, sound is great, grafics are good for a game of this scale, it's free. The bad... bugs, no in-game tutorials, hard learning curve, pay-to-win. And more importantly... you fight for nothing. The last point is what annoys me the most about this game. I would have given it a good 8 or even 9, but i have to be honest. You virtually fight for nothing. The continentThe good... Maps are amazing, sound is great, grafics are good for a game of this scale, it's free. The bad... bugs, no in-game tutorials, hard learning curve, pay-to-win. And more importantly... you fight for nothing. The last point is what annoys me the most about this game. I would have given it a good 8 or even 9, but i have to be honest. You virtually fight for nothing. The continent is persistent and each faction has a safe zone near their gate that cannot be conquered. This means that no empire can trully conquer a continent, and thus you have no solid goals in this game. You managed to expend the control of your empire on the continent? Pointless, log-in the next day and you'll need to conquer them again. Over and over and over... This is a big flaw in my opinion. But if you don't mind killing stuff for no reason, this game is just for you. Dust 514 is more promissing i think. Sure it has a smaller scale, it's on the PS3 only, grafics are good but not on par with PS2. BUT... you fight for something, what you do has consequences. And that alone my friends makes Dust a much better game. Expand
  40. Nov 26, 2012
    A truly epic game. BF3 on a massive scale, and whether your preference is flying, tanking or infantry, you will immense fun. All 3 playstyles are well implemented, and have a significant role to play in the game. There are myriad guns, explosives, and weaponry to choose from, and customizing your trooper / vehicle is a lot of fun. These can be trialed for 30 mins before you spend yourA truly epic game. BF3 on a massive scale, and whether your preference is flying, tanking or infantry, you will immense fun. All 3 playstyles are well implemented, and have a significant role to play in the game. There are myriad guns, explosives, and weaponry to choose from, and customizing your trooper / vehicle is a lot of fun. These can be trialed for 30 mins before you spend your cash/cert points too Expand
  41. Jan 21, 2013
    The incredible scale of this game is amazing, when you and a few hundred other team mates go head to head with another couple hundred people to try and claim as much land as possible.
    Though at first when you start the game it can be a bit overwhelming mainly because it is so big and so many people to kill you end up learning who is more of a threat and where to spawn to quickly get in the fight with out getting killed straight away.
    I thoroughly enjoy this game and will continue to play as it is so different having a good fps mmo game that has such a great community (ask for help and you will probley get it due to the nature of the game you need to help team mates to concore as much ground as possible)
  42. Jun 23, 2014
    This game is Not Free to play its pay to win. Imagine the worst grinding game you have ever played x10
    cost nearly 400 dollars to unlock all upgrades and guns would probably take a free player 10 years.
  43. Nov 28, 2012
    Large battles featuring up to 2000 players per continent and is a complete blast, never had so much fun with an online FPS in my whole gaming-life PlanetSide 2 is awesometacular
  44. Dec 13, 2012
    An addicting and and pleasant surprise to the MMO genre in short. The impressive draw distance coupled with impressive graphical fidelity for such a massive game does give the good impression of a massive, persistent open world. While the landscape and locations are decently varied from location to location somewhat less care was given to player assets such as weapons and vehicles.An addicting and and pleasant surprise to the MMO genre in short. The impressive draw distance coupled with impressive graphical fidelity for such a massive game does give the good impression of a massive, persistent open world. While the landscape and locations are decently varied from location to location somewhat less care was given to player assets such as weapons and vehicles. Roughly half of the vehicles available to each race are the same as the ones available to the others. As well as the vast majority of the weapons are shamelessly visual copy and pastes with very minor changes if any at all, only having changes in their stats. Despite this each race has a unique look and style that works for them. The game play is the old tried and true class based multi-player first person shooter. Each class has their own special abilities and equipment that can be upgraded using "certs". This is where the balance issues start to glare at you. Acquiring certs is paced like dragging a 1000 pound bag of sand down an endless road through 2 feet of snow, stopping every ten miles to receive a dollar to put towards a million dollar sleigh to help you pull the bag faster. What I'm trying to say is that it's a free to play game, but it's pay to win. The people who choose to invest in the game will stand head and shoulders above those who actually want a free to play game. This obvious issue turns certain players into bullet sponges while leaving others as glass tissues on the battlefield. While you're given bonuses for investing larger amounts in the game, the cost of weapons in the game probably lies between 6 and 7 dollars on average. Given that there are hundreds of things to buy, and certs and spent money don't carry over to other characters you create, this is a huge problem. I might be focusing a lot on this, but it really is a glaring issue. If you can find the time to acquire enough certs however you'll find a functional and enjoyable FPS that offers massive battles on a scale that we haven't seen in games since the total war franchise. The levels are laid out on a honeycomb gird that shows territories that are fought over by the three factions. The levels have varying terrain with strong holds and towns dotting the landscape. There's a unique feel to each of the continents you fight on, and each base type have a different strategy required to take control. While the actual bases and building are going to start to seem familiar to frequent players it's the area around the bases that creates a new and distinct feel at each location. A strange bit of poor design, being a little richer due to better environmental design. Overall, I give PlanetSide 2 a 7 out of 10. Expand
  45. Nov 22, 2012
    Great game, played since beta. It's one major flaw is that's it's near impossible to unlock anything, even for a free game. You usually start with simple one point certifications, but then the price skyrockets to 100's for a simple bonus. In fact, there is not a single weapon in the game for under 100 certifications.
  46. Nov 27, 2012
    With all due respect, this is honestly a great game, with great mechanics, and a fantastic atmosphere. In other words - it was a success.

However, in many areas - it falls short. Please note I have not played the original planetside, so this review is unbiased to the previous game. Where does this game succeed? In scale. The sheer scale of planetside 2 is enough to make you play it,

Where does this game succeed? In scale. The sheer scale of planetside 2 is enough to make you play it, it is highly addicting - and wtih a group of friends can be very fun. Coupled with modern day gunplay mechanics, this game seriously sets itself up to be a great game. However, aside from the good mechanics, and addictive gameplay - there are a few places where planetside 2 falls very very short.

First of all, the game does not feel rewarding to me. This is a subjective opinion - but I did not save up one thousand certs to buy a gun that looks nearly - if not exactly, the same as my default gun. While the guns are well rounded function wise, LMG's on the same faction - will have remarkable resemblance to each other. In other words - the design in some areas is very bland and uninspired.

I would also like to mention balancing issues, the TR as a whole, are an overpowered bullet spraying killing machine. To put it mildly TR vs NC. The TR can afford to miss, while the NC simply can't. However, there are always trade offs - so I do believe personally, that I am just nitpicking.

Other than menial balancing issues, the game is incredibly buggy, and there are dozens of exploits. (Such as getting the health of a max suit on your light assault class.) I will not mention them all - but that is just the gist of many problems.

Furthermore, the game lacks any sense of depth. The reason is that it is almost impossible to use even tactics to take an enemy base. The game heavily relies on zerg rush tactics. So all you can do is kill kill kill until one team or another overcomes eachother. (Or more likely quits.) I really wish, that there was another way to manage spawns even at smaller bases. (There used to be SCU's at smaller bases during early beta, which was a good addition - however, now they've been taken away. They need them back. Camping spawns is a stupid idea for spawn suppression! The devs should be ASHAMED of themselves!)

However on a positive note, the game is still a very solid game. And will surely improve over time content and functionality-wise. Initial release for most MMO games is bland, so let us hope this one comes a long way. The game gets a solid 8 out of 10 in my opinion. Anymore would be overrated, any less would be bashing it.
  47. Dec 4, 2012
    So.... When I first looked at Planetside2, it was being described as an RTS/FPS, which made me slightly curious how something like that could be pulled off on the scale this game was being done in. Turns out, it's actually just an MMOFPS that takes the MMO part VERY seriously. Really, there are other games out there that call themselves MMOFPS, but aren't on the sort of scale thatSo.... When I first looked at Planetside2, it was being described as an RTS/FPS, which made me slightly curious how something like that could be pulled off on the scale this game was being done in. Turns out, it's actually just an MMOFPS that takes the MMO part VERY seriously. Really, there are other games out there that call themselves MMOFPS, but aren't on the sort of scale that Planetside2 is. That alone was enough to make me want to stick around and play the game, being in a shooter where there aren't arena like battlefields that you have to let load up first, but a persistent world where there is always a battle happen some where that you can just jump right into!

It's a concept I'd never seen done for a shooter before, and I love it! It of course, isn't without a few gripes that I have despite obviously liking this game. To start, the game probably would have been even bigger and more epic if it was made on a megaserver, like how a game such as Eve Online is done, rather than being split up into different regional servers, but that's ultimately just nitpicking compared to my next point. There isn't a tutorial or training mode.

Some people might think this isn't a big deal since it's a shooter, but think about this. Planetside2 has ALOT of things happening in it at all times, and there are a few options you have, even when on foot, that you might not think about being able to do, since most other shooters only ever give you the options of, "walk, run, shoot, throw grenade, use that other thing your carrying". Planetside2 has that, and also adds in, "use the OTHER, other thing your carrying, whip out your squad command gear, oh, and we have other things to so you can practically micromanage your equipment! =D" and it's like that for the vehicles too! Now, that's all fine and dandy, it's always nice when a game gives you options, but if you don't know how to use those options then you've got a problem.

For those out there like myself who had never played the original Planetside, we're going into this totally blind. While it's good that the people running the game went out of their way to make some "training videos" for the game, unless someone actually knows they exist and are looking for them, then it's not going to help them much. From what I understand, the original game had a VR training mode that you could go into any time you wanted to dick around and experiment with what was available to you, so you could get a better feeling for the game, so why doesn't Planetside2 have this? What was so hard about putting the VR system in the new game? I proved a quick study for this game and was able to get down almost everything it had for features, but there are still people in the game that are as clueless as I was going in, and questions that in most other MMO style games that would be common sense and immediately flamed if asked, I can't really fault anyone for asking in this since the game tells you nothing about what you can do. It needs some kind of training mode... BADLY.

My other gripe is that I'd heard there would be some kind of mission system for the game to make the gameplay more diverse. Again, awesome thing! So... Where is it Planetside2? As much as I enjoy running raids against enemy buildings, or running defense against a raid on one of the buildings my people control, that can only hold my attention for a couple hours at a time at most without something more varied to do when the straight up combat isn't something I want to dive into. No recon work? Patrol missions? Escorts? Nothing? I don't know for sure if what I heard is true, but that is something I really want to see happen for Planetside2 as well.

My gripes about it aside though, this game has proven itself capable of impressing me with what it does have, and since the game is an MMO, it can stand to reason the some of the things I've heard will be in the game, or things that the game needs, will be put in at a later date, so for now, I'll have my fingers crossed that it will happen, and just enjoy the mayhem that presently exists.
  48. Jan 13, 2013
    This game has freemium written all over it.
    For starters, the game looks pretty good.
    Another great aspect is that this game is very strategic; provided there are these kinds of people online. It's true that this game just throws you into battle but this is to make sure you don't meander your way into battle. Your thrown in and go. The three factions are also well balanced with
    This game has freemium written all over it.
    For starters, the game looks pretty good.
    The three factions are also well balanced with benefits given if your side has less people.
    People are both a benefit and a drawback to this game. More people = more fun. Less people = less fun. This is very much an MMO.
    One of the biggest drawbacks for Planetside 2 is the store. Everything just costs too much and it doesn't seem worth giving actual money to because no real advantage is given; just a few perks here and there.
    This game is still very much not finished so it would be best to keep an eye on it but no necessarily get it.
    This is a game I recommend with an asterix the size of the moon and you should consider carefully, even if it is free, whether this is for you.
  49. Feb 4, 2013
    If you have someone to play this with or a group of people than its one of the most enjoyable games, however if your caught alone game-play gets a bit repetitive. On a side note there's no real tutorial or way to learn the game, unless you have a friend that plays it. It basically forces you to use vehicles outside the bases because of all the tanks that normally roam around.
  50. Feb 16, 2013
    Planetside 2's concept with massive battles, multiply platoons of soldiers running head to head, is a fantastic idea. No game today does these kind of things, and it's free, so why do so many people seem to dislike it? First of all, the bugs. Game series's like CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc. They are all games with a low amount f bugs, they are also kind of similar, People then assume thisPlanetside 2's concept with massive battles, multiply platoons of soldiers running head to head, is a fantastic idea. No game today does these kind of things, and it's free, so why do so many people seem to dislike it? First of all, the bugs. Game series's like CoD, Battlefield, Halo, etc. They are all games with a low amount f bugs, they are also kind of similar, People then assume this game, with also is a fps, have the same amount of bugs or lower than the other games. But planetside 2 is much larger and much more difficult to make bug free as the other games so of course there will be bugs. You could the say that the release was to early. Bugs is far from the biggest problem in planetside 2, there are only one gamebreaking bug (which seems to be fixed now) and that was your screen randomly flashing white for a long time. The biggest problem with the game are the gameplay, which i often just one big kill farm (they are working on this, the last patch made some great changes with this). And this game is FAR from pay2win, you can get everything that is gameplay changing with in game currency, and the stock weapons are perfectly fine, if you don't want to use the stock weapons until you got enough in game currency, then you buy a weapon with real money, but those weapons are just sidegrates really. This game i worth a try, and are always evolving, just remember P2W are not any real issues, and the bugs are far from gamebreaking. I could be talking about all the good things about this game all day, but i don't have anymore time. See you on the battlefield. Expand
  51. Oct 6, 2013
    Before i start i would like to point out that this game is FREE, to those of you giving a FREE game of this quality a zero your quite frankly completely wrong. Unlike many free games Planetside 2 is not a pay to win although you can pay to unlock weapons they can all be unlocked without paying a penny, only skins require real money to obtain.

The game is by no means perfect there's a

The game is by no means perfect there's a steep learning curve that can be a pain to get passed and getting dropped into the action when its on such a huge scale can be disorientating and frustrating to new players. The weapons unlock quite slowly and there is no real end game no faction can actually lose.

Now with that out the way Planetside 2 is possibly the most epic experience you can have on any game, thousands of people fighting epic battles with aircraft tanks and infantry is just amazing to be apart of. Especially with some friends or a decent squad or outfit where you work as a team to capture of defend strongholds. This game far surfaces other FPS games like Halo and COD in my opinion and does so on a scale that's beyond belief and all this from a free game.

There is no reason not to try this game its free and wont cost you a penny get some friends on Skype or teamspeak and you will have a great time.
  52. Oct 8, 2014
    This game is absolutely fabulous. The scale of the battles is unprecedented in the gaming industry. The outfits and platoons really bring a huge level team work that a majority of other games just don't have. This game does have a large learning curve, but it is entirely worth it. After sinking about 400 hours into this game, I have no regrets.
  53. Mar 9, 2013
    My journey with this game started with frustration, I've installed game from Steam, wanted to fly, but joystick didn't work back then.. I came back few months later, and... everything worked great. I don't play a lot games, and I didn't play multi-player except for Starcraft 2 which was uber frustrating. But. after 80+ hours of play I can say that Planetside 2 is unique and very addictiveMy journey with this game started with frustration, I've installed game from Steam, wanted to fly, but joystick didn't work back then.. I came back few months later, and... everything worked great. I don't play a lot games, and I didn't play multi-player except for Starcraft 2 which was uber frustrating. But. after 80+ hours of play I can say that Planetside 2 is unique and very addictive With great number of classes, vehicles, tactics, and ways to develop your character gameplay is one of the best I've seen in my whole life. So, play, play, play and see you on the The Crown shouting "your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries" Expand
  54. Xel
    Mar 5, 2013
    This needs to be made clear to everyone up front, this game is not a solo COD style of FPS... if you want infantry based COD go play COD otherwise welcome to Planetside were massive ground and air vehicle battles take place that require team work and communication. This is a MMOFPS that like practically EVERY MMO out there will require to your grind your character's weapons and upgrades.This needs to be made clear to everyone up front, this game is not a solo COD style of FPS... if you want infantry based COD go play COD otherwise welcome to Planetside were massive ground and air vehicle battles take place that require team work and communication. This is a MMOFPS that like practically EVERY MMO out there will require to your grind your character's weapons and upgrades. If you don't want to do that don't play it. It is clearly not pay to win as the less informed seem to write since everyone cane unlock the exact same weapons. It is pay to not grind. Game updates and patches are being released on a weekly basis to fix issues and add content on a regular basis. This game is also played on a large scale with lots of vehicles, team play and coordination if you are not interested in those things you are going to have a bad time (like I said if you want solo COD style of play this game is not for you). Expand
  55. Mar 27, 2013
    Hands down, the best Online FPS around. All the negative user feedback can be attributed to the fact that, in the beginning, its a little hard to understand how things work, but watch this video "http://youtu.be/Tx_xeRFlNTA" (about the basics of navigating the world), and you'll be prepared to have a lot of fun. Great game, and the way Free-2-Play games are supposed to be made
  56. Mar 30, 2013
    Many people complain about this game's lack of fair balance or that it feels rushed to them. I'm sorry, but did you expect this to be a CoD game? And as for the learning curve, this is war for crying out loud, not a training camp! They do have tutorial videos linked in the game's launcher, and yes, the learning curve needs fixing, but then again, it's a bit better than going through yetMany people complain about this game's lack of fair balance or that it feels rushed to them. I'm sorry, but did you expect this to be a CoD game? And as for the learning curve, this is war for crying out loud, not a training camp! They do have tutorial videos linked in the game's launcher, and yes, the learning curve needs fixing, but then again, it's a bit better than going through yet another hand-holding, navi-esque tutorial isn't it? Planetside 2's 2 main blessings are it's adaptability and the teamwork the game encourages. Since it's not a box release, few can realistically expect that the game would be perfect right from the start. If a problem arises or a bug is discovered, it gets fixed in the next update. Teamwork is EVERYTHING in this game, you should never expect to succeed as a lone-wolf unless you play as an infiltrator and know when to fight and when to not. No one person can single-handedly change the tide of a battle or the war, you are always working with other players to accomplish a goal.

The game itself, isn't exactly pay-to-play, everything is available for purchase with in-game currency, and all of the things that can only be bought with real money are just for looks. Admittedly, you do need to pour a lot of certs into your empire's fighter to get it to it's full potential, but like I said, everything is free: you just have to save up the certs you've earned.

Pretty much the only things you can buy with money in the game that actually gives you any advantage are weapons; everything that gives you a basic edge over everything you encounter (better armor for example) can only be purchased by using the in-game currency.

and on the note of the cert grind, how would you like it if EVERYONE in the game had the best weapons and upgrades after playing for a short amount of time? it'd get bland fast: there would be nothing to look forward to getting.

And face it: in every game you start playing, there WILL be players that are better than you that have been playing longer than you and will pwn you at first

SOE has added a virtual-reality training area that allows you to try out EVERYTHING that you could possibly want, and since all of the weapons are unlocked while you are in the training area, you can just click on the "compare stats" box and have no more need for looking through wiki pages. If all else fails, you can give a gun or an upgrade to one of your vehicles a test run. In conclusion, Planetside 2 may have it's flaws (who/ what doesn't?), but it's sheer scale and readiness to fix any problems that it's players find more than make up for them
  57. Apr 26, 2013
    The game is massive and definitely has a bright future in the FPS gamers eyes but this massive game comes at a cost. Most PC's have trouble running it. Mine alone is above average computer and I cannot even run it properly. As much as I wish I could give this game a 10, I cannot. Not while so many people who have above average computers cannot experience this massive and beautiful game.
  58. Jun 5, 2013
    I've played this game for almost 200 hours now. It is extremely hard to get past the learning curve. It will take you hours, but it's worth it. The vehicles will be worthless to you in combat unless you shell out some money or spend a serious amount of time playing as infantry. There's no story to be found besides the blue and purple guys are stupid and have to die. You have to be aI've played this game for almost 200 hours now. It is extremely hard to get past the learning curve. It will take you hours, but it's worth it. The vehicles will be worthless to you in combat unless you shell out some money or spend a serious amount of time playing as infantry. There's no story to be found besides the blue and purple guys are stupid and have to die. You have to be a serious player (border-line addicted) to get any sort of progression. There are several balance issues.

All of that being said, it's insanely fun to get into a platoon and follow them around capturing bases and fighting in the large-scale battles. I can spend hours playing, and I do. If you want to engage in gigantic seamless battles as an infantry-man, a sniper, a supporting class (medic and engineer), a tank operator, a part of a gun-ship crew, or a fighter pilot, this is the game for you. Despite all of the negative aspects of the game, I 100% recommend it to everyone to check it out (it is free) and give it some time.
  59. Jun 5, 2013
    I initially gave this game a 7/10 due to the performance issues at launch, and the problems with the battle flow. For the first few months I barely played it and was very hesitant to spend money on it, but SOE have been very committed and they're currently on GU10, and they release smaller updates every second week. The new lattice system has really improved the battle flow on Indar, andI initially gave this game a 7/10 due to the performance issues at launch, and the problems with the battle flow. For the first few months I barely played it and was very hesitant to spend money on it, but SOE have been very committed and they're currently on GU10, and they release smaller updates every second week. The new lattice system has really improved the battle flow on Indar, and it'll soon be available on the other continents.

While there is still much work to be done (PS2 still needs a lot more optimization), I have spent over 400 hours in this game now and I can honestly say it's the game of the year for me. The massive combat is just so compelling, with literally battles hundreds of players large, on continents filled with thousands of people.
  60. Jun 5, 2013
    While Planetside 2 isn't as easy to pick up and play as call of duty or battlefield, it offers far more depth. Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS. Don't let that name fool you, you wont be going into instanced dungeons and facing off against a few AI driven bosses. Every soldier you see is a real, living player. Every base is designed for 640 v 640 not 64 v 64. The distances between those bases isWhile Planetside 2 isn't as easy to pick up and play as call of duty or battlefield, it offers far more depth. Planetside 2 is an MMOFPS. Don't let that name fool you, you wont be going into instanced dungeons and facing off against a few AI driven bosses. Every soldier you see is a real, living player. Every base is designed for 640 v 640 not 64 v 64. The distances between those bases is measured in miles, not feet. Planetside 2 is full of bugs and flaws, for example vehicle combat suffers because Anti-vehicle infantry don't render and neither do their projectiles. The weapons are all sidegrades, and SOE will not nickel and dime you. Every balance issue in this fantastic game is due solely to bugs. Don't expect to play this game at 60 fps.

In conclusion, Planetside 2 is a fantastic game with an unforgiving learning curve and performance issues. Despite these flaws, this game will offer you massive, social combat that you simply won't find anywhere else. You need to try this game.
  61. Jun 5, 2013
    The game starts out a little hectic, and you may be confused as to what exactly is going on, but I loved that part. Such a complex game takes months to fully learn, making boredom almost impossible. I have been playing Planetside 2 for about 5 months now and still can't stop playing daily. It is much more fun in groups, however there is always something to do on your own as well. If youThe game starts out a little hectic, and you may be confused as to what exactly is going on, but I loved that part. Such a complex game takes months to fully learn, making boredom almost impossible. I have been playing Planetside 2 for about 5 months now and still can't stop playing daily. It is much more fun in groups, however there is always something to do on your own as well. If you like shooters, or if you like strategy, or tanks, or planes, or 200 vs 200 battles, this game is worth checking out. And it's free. Expand
  62. Jun 6, 2013
    Rarely have i seen a game that is as unique as Planetside 2 is. Think Battlefield 2, 64 times bigger, with 3 Factions, and updated Visuals.

That's pretty much what Planetside 2 is. Want a quick fight? Hit the Quick Action button, and you land RIGHT INTO the action. Strategic advancing with an Outfit or a Squad? Not a Problem either. It's FREE (you CAN pay for stuff, but you can

That's pretty much what Planetside 2 is.

Strategic advancing with an Outfit or a Squad? Not a Problem either.

It's FREE (you CAN pay for stuff, but you can get it by playing the game as well, so it's really fair).

+ They listen to the players.
  63. Jun 6, 2013
    I've been playing the game on and off again since it came out... and it keeps getting better with age. If you tried it out when it first came out, you owe it to yourself to log back in, find a group to play with, and get into the fight!

I am continually surprised at how good this game is, and find it even harder to believe that this game truly is a Free to Play game. While there are benefits to subscribe, and there are some great time-saving offers via in-game purchases, there's honestly nothing you have to buy in this game to 'win' this game really is free-to-play, and certainly not pay-to-win.
  64. Jun 11, 2013
    I tend to play most of my PC games at least 60+ hours or more. They're investments, since I spend so much time in them. Some games keep me coming back, like Team Fortress 2 (718 hrs.), Skyrim (298 hrs.), Civ4 (164 hrs.), Neverwinter Nights 2 (243 hrs.). Planetside 2 is going to blow them all away. I've got 617 hrs. in it so far, and the future looks better than ever.

Get in and find a

Get in and find a tour guide (like in an Outfit), start out as a medic and learn how to work with your squad. All you need is your rifle and your medic tool! PS2 is slow to learn, but awesome to master.
  65. Oct 30, 2014
    I am not a fan of MMOs or FPSs, but this combines the two to create something awesome, although I would appreciate it if I didn't have to keep entering my username and password. Just do a login through Steam.
  66. Apr 9, 2014
    easily one of my all time favorite games. no other game keeps me coming back like planet side 2. constant updates with new guns and features, and after the optimization update the game runs really well for me. i would agree that guns are a bit pricey, but after i got a membership that includes a 50% boost, certs (in game currency) were no longer a issue for me. and i was free to upgradeeasily one of my all time favorite games. no other game keeps me coming back like planet side 2. constant updates with new guns and features, and after the optimization update the game runs really well for me. i would agree that guns are a bit pricey, but after i got a membership that includes a 50% boost, certs (in game currency) were no longer a issue for me. and i was free to upgrade and buy as many new guns and abilities as i wanted. i will say that a big factor of enjoyment in this game for me is the community. devs listen to player feedback, and players are nice and helpful in game and in the forums. i would suggest checking out the planetside subredit and the official forums to see more about the game. the game does have a learning curve i will admit, i would suggest checking out some you tubers if you want to see game play or want to understand how to play the game. the you tubers in no order are: stl youngblood, wrel, zoran the bear, drathamus gaming. my closing statement is this, it is a free game you will lose nothing by downloading it, trying it, not enjoying it, and deleting it. but if you give the game a chance you may find a beautiful game full of player progression and endless hours of fun, supported by a helpful and positive community. at least that is what i found. go to www.planetside 2.com or steam and download the game, who knows what adventures will await :) Expand
  67. Dec 15, 2014
    If you're good at Battlefield there's no reason you cannot be good at this, the gunplay is almost the same in both. The problem most people have is in finding the meta, finding a role for themselves in the game, while trying to learn wtf is going on. The meta is simple, find a place where you're outnumbered, and see how well you can do. There's no other game which allows you to tailorIf you're good at Battlefield there's no reason you cannot be good at this, the gunplay is almost the same in both. The problem most people have is in finding the meta, finding a role for themselves in the game, while trying to learn wtf is going on. The meta is simple, find a place where you're outnumbered, and see how well you can do. There's no other game which allows you to tailor the difficulty by increasing the odds you're coming up against, and it only gets better when you add a squad of friends to the mix. Expand
  68. Jun 5, 2013
    I have been playing this game since launch and it has gotten much better since then! I have increased my score for the game because the devs have added so much to it since launch and because they continue to add new content every week.
  69. Dec 1, 2012
    Planetside 2 falls short of Planetside 1 in about every category, but it's still a lot of fun and the best recent shooter out there. Be advised it's poorly optimized at the moment with some netcode issues, but hopefully when those are ironed out it will be fun for everyone.

Their customer service team is responsive and fast. Haven't run into any obvious hackers yet.
  70. Dec 1, 2012
    I had low expectations for this game because it was free to play. First impressions were 'damn this is hard...'. There's a steep learning curve and no tutorial as such, just jump in and fight to survive. And I died a lot. My next reaction was the indoor environments are kinda bland, although outdoors it's quite picturesque. I reckon I need better graphics card than the GTX 260 SLI I haveI had low expectations for this game because it was free to play. First impressions were 'damn this is hard...'. There's a steep learning curve and no tutorial as such, just jump in and fight to survive. And I died a lot. My next reaction was the indoor environments are kinda bland, although outdoors it's quite picturesque. I reckon I need better graphics card than the GTX 260 SLI I have to enjoy this game. Another thing is that there is no engaging storyline that I've grown to expect from these sort of FPS games. You are just dropped into the action and left to deal with it. However where this game outstrips every other sort of FPS in terms of scale. The maps are huge and battles can involve 2 to 100 individual units, from infantry to heavy armour, to air all in the scene at once. This is a phenomenal technical achievement. Additionally the squad command facilities are better than those I've seen in previous games. As a result stories form organically, and battle scenes that would be scripted in a COD game, evolve in Planetside out of the natural process where a group of humans have to complete an objective, defined by their platoon leader, like defend a base or capture a point. There's massive potential here for more to explored in terms of player coordinated squad based gameplay and Planetside has barely scratched the surface but has given us a taste of what things could be like. Expand
  71. Dec 6, 2014
    It keeps getting better and better with every patch ! PLEASE NOTE that most negative reviews are OUTDATED since the game has changed massively over the last two years. A lot of problems are much smaller or aren't there any more !
    Only in this game battles with literally hundreds of people, on foot or in land/air vehicles.
    The graphics are really good too especially if you consider this
    The graphics are really good too especially if you consider this game's grand scale.
    With 5 different classess and 6 vehicles, and 4 continent to fight for it's hard to be bored.
    It has its share of problems though: sometimes the battles are just not going good for your faction and it's hard to find a satysfying one. Balance of the factions is somewhat lackluster often leading to one factin dominating the others on a specific server.
    Most people claim this game has a steep learning curve, which is probably true, it took me quite a while to grasp the basics. Yes, there are tutorials but you may need to force yourself at first or watch youtube videos with guides.
    There is no other game like it and I strongly recommend it to shooter fans. The game heavily supports playing in a squad, but I usually lone wolf and it's really fun, nothing more satisfying than pulling a Rambo-like feat as a heavy assault or sneak behind enemy lines and sabotage the enemy base with the infiltrator. 8/10
  72. Nov 27, 2012
    Epic. It's a word that is thrown around quite a bit, but it perfectly describes what Planetside is. Many other games have "epic' scripted events to make you feel like you are part of something massive. In Planetside 2, those events happen organically and often and with real players. The massive scope of this game is literally not found in any other fps game. While you will need a top ofEpic. It's a word that is thrown around quite a bit, but it perfectly describes what Planetside is. Many other games have "epic' scripted events to make you feel like you are part of something massive. In Planetside 2, those events happen organically and often and with real players. The massive scope of this game is literally not found in any other fps game. While you will need a top of the line computer to get the most out of this game, it is still very playable on my computer with is 3 years old (some parts are even older). To me, this means the game will age well and still look great years from now.

The game is certainly free2play but definitely not pay2win. I have not dropped a single penny into the game and I have never felt at a disadvantag. Everything that is not cosmetic can be purchased using in-game experience. You never have to spend a penny to get any weapon or attachment that a paying player can have.

While the game is certainly more fun playing in groups, I've had a great time just exploring the game by myself. However, the community is very open and friendly so joining an outfit is easy and rewarding.

I have already had experiences in this game that I have never had before in any other game, and there is still so much left for me to explore. This is a game I've been waiting my whole life for, and I can see myself playing this game for years to come.
  73. Nov 27, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a genuinely enjoyable experience that combines the elements of a number of FPS games that I prefer. I enjoyed battlefield 1942 the first time I played it, primarily because I enjoyed the "epic feeling" that the game had to it; Planetside 2 simply brings this to a whole new level. It's a massive game, and the combat's scale is unrivaled. The factions are balanced, andPlanetside 2 is a genuinely enjoyable experience that combines the elements of a number of FPS games that I prefer. I enjoyed battlefield 1942 the first time I played it, primarily because I enjoyed the "epic feeling" that the game had to it; Planetside 2 simply brings this to a whole new level. It's a massive game, and the combat's scale is unrivaled. The factions are balanced, and easily distinct with their own unique play-style. The combat itself is really good, easily comparable with the best FPS's on the market to date. Expand
  74. Dec 7, 2012
    Game is incredible. Ever battle is massive and scales hundreds of players. People giving it low scores have crappy computer or internet. This is the game of the future and requires a decent computer. I have laptop with nividia gforce 200m series graphics card and 6Gs of ram at college and this game runs fine. If you want an awesome game that blows battlefield out of the water ,and makesGame is incredible. Ever battle is massive and scales hundreds of players. People giving it low scores have crappy computer or internet. This is the game of the future and requires a decent computer. I have laptop with nividia gforce 200m series graphics card and 6Gs of ram at college and this game runs fine. If you want an awesome game that blows battlefield out of the water ,and makes call of duty look sad...THIS IS FOR YOU Expand
  75. Nov 21, 2014
    Another annoying console shooter cod clone which is set in scifi future. Aimdownsights, play with controller, don't be able to progress in the game.
    Next..
  76. Jan 9, 2013
    Fun to play, missing prone / vault though and weapons could be cheaper for ingame currency, other than that like i said before: Planetside 2 offers alot of EPIC fun for a free game, dont hesitate to try it, its free!
  77. Nov 22, 2012
    It's basically Halo + Battlefield 3 on a map that is about 75 km^2. Well balanced, and lots of fun with a good amount of character customization. Plus, it is completely free. If you choose to pay anything, the items you can buy are entirely side-grades and flair, and do not make you a better player. A level 10 that pays will be on equal footing with a level 10 that doesn't pay (notIt's basically Halo + Battlefield 3 on a map that is about 75 km^2. Well balanced, and lots of fun with a good amount of character customization. Plus, it is completely free. If you choose to pay anything, the items you can buy are entirely side-grades and flair, and do not make you a better player. A level 10 that pays will be on equal footing with a level 10 that doesn't pay (not that character level matters too much anyway, a max level character might be ~20% "better" than a level 1 because they can do minor things like add grips to their guns, carry more ammo and repair things quicker). My one complaint would me a lack of a meta-game, as you never get to a point where you "win". You can take over a continent for a brief period of time, but there is never a screen that says "round over, you win!". Only a permanent game over territory control. Capturing a base after a several hour assault still feels good though :P Expand
  78. Nov 23, 2012
    Planetside2 is the epitome of modern FPS games. It belong to the MMO scene and brings a different approach to warfare. Forget about 16,32 or 64 battles. In PS2 2000 players can fight in the same continent creating some very huge and epic battles.
    But the most important thing is that the developers listen the community and bring improvements in regular basis. I haven't seen any other game where the development team participate in the forums and discuss several issues with players. The game is Free to Play so it is very easy to try it and play without giving a dime. It needs some focus in the beginning because of its scale but soon you will understand how to play.
  79. Nov 28, 2012
    Its a great game and I would recommend it to any of my friends looking for a good fps to play.

The game has its fair share of bugs and problems but most should be fixed soon seeing as the game hasn't even been out for a month yet. Once you get started in the game and find a good outfit you'll find yourself sinking hours and hours of time into this game.
  80. Dec 6, 2012
    "OMG it has bugs! And my computer sucks!" Seriously? This game is miles ahead of every first person shooter on the market right now and people nitpick it? It has flaws, the render distance needs to be increased and there are a couple of balance issues, and there are aformentioned bugs...... but did I mention its a 3 faction all out war on a miles wide map with hundreds of people?
  81. Jan 21, 2013
    Epic battles in an epic environment, with day and night cycle, feels like an MMO since there are no "rounds", its a persistent world in war. It gives you the choice to engage in big battles, small battles, or maybe camp in the nearby mountains sniping from a far? You choose. Best Battlefield I ever played.
  82. Jan 10, 2013
    Great game altogether, but if it wasn't for those moments where you get into large battalions of tanks, aircraft, and infantry, the lack luster gun play would bring this game down, not to mention its many issues/bugs. But hey, its a Free-2-Play game that deserves to get more gratitude then most AAA titled games that will rip $60 and soon after lose its luster
  83. Jan 8, 2013
    Best suited to people with a lot of friends, i got this game from the steam free to play section as i thought i would try it out, and found it very enjoyable, there is a huge map and you are constantly in the heat of the action all the time, whether on foot besieging control points, or in tanks and planes destroy vehicles for your huge army to move up with. This is a very good game andBest suited to people with a lot of friends, i got this game from the steam free to play section as i thought i would try it out, and found it very enjoyable, there is a huge map and you are constantly in the heat of the action all the time, whether on foot besieging control points, or in tanks and planes destroy vehicles for your huge army to move up with. This is a very good game and something i had always dreamed of playing in my younger years. The UI and HUD is a bit clunky and the races have nothing to deter themselves from each other, in terms of weapon stats etc. every class race has a machine gun, rifle, LMG etc. a tad disappointing but still nothing to be knocked, and hey, its free Expand
  84. Jan 28, 2013
    this game is so fun, i must say that saying this is not a pay to win game is pushing it for vehicles but infantry you don't need to pay. the scale of battles is unmatched by other games. playing alone is not the best you will need to get into an outfit or have a couple of friends in a squad to feel like you have a massive impact in the game. most bugs have been fix and i don't see manythis game is so fun, i must say that saying this is not a pay to win game is pushing it for vehicles but infantry you don't need to pay. the scale of battles is unmatched by other games. playing alone is not the best you will need to get into an outfit or have a couple of friends in a squad to feel like you have a massive impact in the game. most bugs have been fix and i don't see many hacker has most people say there is. it has the worst tutorial i have seen has you are throw into the battle field. you will need to have a really good computer to run this on high with no fps drop. but through all the bad this is a good game. Expand
  85. Feb 8, 2013
    MMO/FPS Planetside gets you in never ending war between three factions. You must choose your factioand server n in the begining and you cant swich sides as you could i Battlefield. Game is free to play, which means oh yes you guess it, mictrotransactions. This game is simply pay to win, sometimes less, sometimes more but you have to accept it. Your character gains experience for killing,MMO/FPS Planetside gets you in never ending war between three factions. You must choose your factioand server n in the begining and you cant swich sides as you could i Battlefield. Game is free to play, which means oh yes you guess it, mictrotransactions. This game is simply pay to win, sometimes less, sometimes more but you have to accept it. Your character gains experience for killing, capturing bases, assist kills, healing, repairing etc. With experience you level up and gain certification points that unlocks you better abilities (better armor, more ammo, grenades, faster repair etc). But you will gain them pretty slowly, you will spend alot of time with basic equpment (if you dont want to buy them for and you will be crushed by players who does spend Your player skill means nothing when you meet enemy with top-notch equipment, he will hammers you with his worth equipment. If you are tough and endure this, you can offcourse get the same equipment without spending but it will be a realy hard work when you will spend more time on the deploy map when in the game. This counts not only for infantry, but also for aircraft and tanks. There are squads you can join, but mostly not cooperating together, or you can join a guild its called outfit here) But you have to be lucky that first thing you ever hear from your outfit leader wont be "spend some god damn dollars on equipment or go away" But the game itself is solid, often patched, player base is strong, servers are stable, atmosphere of the battle is awesome, graphics is awesome so the game is silod experince for every FPS player. Expand
  86. Dec 8, 2012
    (Forewarning; I apologize for the inevitable slaughter of my format by Metacritic, huge walls of text are the only option :c) The PROS:

+The game has the largest battles to be found in any game, ever. Barring very special cases in certain strategy games (Namely, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Total War) you will never see larger battles. It simply dwarves all contemporary games in sheer scale.

+Many of the mechanics from the original game (PlanetSide) have been completely revamped and/or replaced. It is no longer a chore to play. In fact, the gameplay is VASTLY improved, featuring full hitboxes, well-defined class roles and strategic thought simply not present before. Quite simply, its a blast

+The futuristic setting is very interesting visually and audibly. The lighting, draw distances, shadows and SFX are stunning. I especially enjoy when you fight at night, as it is one of the only modern games where the dark of night is... dark. I have a feeling you will enjoy looking at the immense star and moonscapes in awe, they're spectacular.

+ The game is Free to Play! In case you didn't know, "F2P" means "Free to Play"; Huzzuah! + There are three teams per server, as opposed to the regular two-sided fights that are the norm. This introduces an interesting dynamic with three-sided battles. Extremely fun.

+ While the factions share several things in common, notably certain vehicles and the classes, they each have a unique set of strengths and weaknesses that give you incentive to play as all three. While the lore is not particularly strong (This is an MMO after all), I suspect you will choose your first faction based on their backstory. I prefer the Vanu, being a transhumanist scum in real life.

+As goes naturally with the large player counts, the maps are enormous; expect to travel in various gunships and APC's more than on foot when trying to get from place-to-place.

The CONS:

- My primary concern with the game is the system requirements; you will require a very powerful rig to run the game at a level of 30 FPS or higher. Lower-end computers or older ones will have some problems, most notably in the larger battles. I had no problems with this, as I very recently constructed my own computer with high-end parts, but for the majority of people performance will be a factor.

- There are quite a few bugs and glitches int he game as-is; friendly tanks running you over push you into geometry, muzzle flash sometimes continues even when not firing,You spawn from a "slanted" perspective... You know, pretty typical stuff.

- Game-enders; Every now and then, you will have a CATASTROPHIC crash that may require you to disable/reset your router and modem, or at least restart your computer. These are very infrequent (I've had it happen once) but keep this in mind.

-There are some balancing issues, most relating to the MAX quasi-class/mech and to the power of air vehicles/Anti-Air weaponry.

- The "Certification" system in the game allows you to purchase weapons and other gear/perks with in-game experience. You "buy" them with things called "Certs" (Short for certifications) which are earned in gameplay for doing essentially everything. The number of Certs you need to buy some things (Notably weapons) is huge, and you earn them very slowly. I place huge emphasis on "slowly" . You can, optionally, circumvent this problem by directly buying things with real money through microtransactions, or buying a $15/month subscription (Which isn't mandatory in any way!) to increase the rate at which you earn things.

- I mentioned the lighting effects, particle effects and such earlier? Those are great, but the actual TEXTURES in the game are not particularly good, on-par with the industry standard five years ago. This is for the sake of game performance, a necessary evil, but it is still a definite weakness.

-Tutorials are very weak, you are simply thrust into the game for lack of a better term. I suggest watching youtube videos to get a grasp of the game before you play

CONCLUSION:

PlanetSide 2 is FILLED with great times to be had if you have a decent computer, all for the low, low price of $0. Keep in mind the game is somewhat hindered graphically and in terms of performance by the large player counts and huge maps, but simultaneously remember the good vastly outweighs the bad!

It gets an 8/10 - The game is superb with several minor problems and one somewhat big one. I expect the developers will support the game for years to come, so I will likely amend my score to 9/10 in the future as the performance is boosted and the bigs patched. You have nothing to lose by downloading it, just do it!
  87. Aug 3, 2013
    After reading reviews here, I got good news: a lot of issues described early were fixed. There is a tutorial, tapping "home" drops in in combat (in a pod) in 10 seconds, tapping delete lets you respawn at a different spawn point in 10-30 seconds. I'm getting decent FPS on an average RIG with GTS 250. The game has a lot of promise, but the fun quickly dies down, once you realize that everyAfter reading reviews here, I got good news: a lot of issues described early were fixed. There is a tutorial, tapping "home" drops in in combat (in a pod) in 10 seconds, tapping delete lets you respawn at a different spawn point in 10-30 seconds. I'm getting decent FPS on an average RIG with GTS 250. The game has a lot of promise, but the fun quickly dies down, once you realize that every gun, every ability and every vehicle sucks unless you spend money (to buy new guns) and time to grind upgrades for these guns. After I spent 20 hours grinding upgrades, it hit me that I'm a veteran FPS player, have positive K/D here, but am not having that much fun. Killing infantry is not satisfying. Guns all look the same, sound the same and are kinda bland. There's no character to guns whatsover (for example Brink had similar attachment/customization for guns, and somehow guns were more satisfying). The "wow factor" of this game is huge scale, but you will quickly learn that just like in all MMOs, there are small groups and zergs running around the map, capping points that are not contested. I saw some large balanced battles in the 20 hours I played, but those are fairly rare. Most of the time it is one zerg camping the spawn building in a base for 5 minutes before moving on. There's a small number of fighting vehicles in this game 2 tanks, 2 planes, 2 light vehicles. Yet they feel bland and lifeless. Everything is nerfed to avoid 1 hit kills. Compare a tank from Battlefield 2 or a mech from Battlefield 2142 to "lightining" tank from planetside or a MAX unit, and you see just how boring planetside vehicles are. There's a lot of grinding in this game, and if you like it, you will enjoy the game. Expand
  88. Feb 14, 2013
    I'm going to keep this short and sweet. Anyone who rated this below a seven simply didn't bother to put the time into it. It badly needs a tutorial, which is why this didn't hit a perfect ten, but for chrissakes, PLAY a game before you damn it. Besides, there are tutorial vids that it shoves in your face in the gorram launcher but hell, I've been playing since before those, and it onlyI'm going to keep this short and sweet. Anyone who rated this below a seven simply didn't bother to put the time into it. It badly needs a tutorial, which is why this didn't hit a perfect ten, but for chrissakes, PLAY a game before you damn it. Besides, there are tutorial vids that it shoves in your face in the gorram launcher but hell, I've been playing since before those, and it only took me about a half hour to figure everything out. Stop pissing yourselves and wrecking the score on an awesome game. Out. Expand
  89. Dec 6, 2012
    amazing game! best fun you can ever have :)

been playing it for 2 days , very addictive, great graphics, wonderful game play through out.

best online experience I've ever had
  90. May 30, 2013
    Free to play pay to win

Air vehicles are useless since 80 of the servers are running with max.s with unlocked Anti air guns , Really poor optimised cant run well on my i5 2500k & 6970 radeon Sides are unbalanced as hell Red guys are the best since they have most fastest fire rate Blue guys weapons hit hard but have high recoil & slow rpm making them worst in game . Draw
    Free to play pay to win

Draw distance kills this game Flew bomber plane with 3 seats and unlocked some nice stuff to it AA cannon at the rear is useless against skilled fighter pilots and you are just free score Draw distance comes into play when flying you see enemy AA max when you are like 50 meters away from him and he can see you from 200-300 meters away GG rly .

TLDR Overrated game pay to win unbalanced was fun for the first 20-30 hours.
  91. Jan 2, 2013
    The PS2 isn't to bad for a F2P. Graphics are... ok could be better but whatever and they are doing pretty good with bug fixes. Big battles are pretty fun I have to say. I do hope they change a few things. Sometimes it just feels like you just zerg areas and why not they don't really reward you for defending a point. Why would you defend a point other than to just shoot enemies. Now if letsThe PS2 isn't to bad for a F2P. Graphics are... ok could be better but whatever and they are doing pretty good with bug fixes. Big battles are pretty fun I have to say. I do hope they change a few things. Sometimes it just feels like you just zerg areas and why not they don't really reward you for defending a point. Why would you defend a point other than to just shoot enemies. Now if lets say point A would give you the ability to spawn air craft (like the 1st PlanetSide) unlike now when you can do it from day one. I think maybe the battles would be more... meaningful? Or maybe just boasts like extra ammo or faster travel speeds? Also the constant Nerf to items (IE hill climb which I don't know if its broken or a Nerf to he honest) Yes I know it happens but they should refund cert if that do major changes like this. Maybe I'm just not a F2P kinda gamer. But for a F2P game it's a good time with friends. Expand
  92. Dec 12, 2012
    Incredible. A few bugs here and there but will be ironed out carving this game into a 10/10 no doubt. It's quite difficult to get into and is very confusing at the beginning but stick with it and you'll be fighting like the best in no time. The scale of this game really is like nothing you've seen before and the wide variety of roles will keep me playing for a long time.
  93. Nov 25, 2012
    The core gameplay is fun, albeit with a few annoyances. The epic scale with smooth gameplay is very impressive. The game is addicting and causes time to fly by.

Pros: Massive scale, very fun, extremely team oriented. VOIP communication is critical for tactical gameplay. Play the way you want. Support classes are totally viable. Air combat is amazingly fun. Cons: The business model.

Cons: The business model. Free to play, but takes 6 months at 25 hours a week to max just one infantry and one vehicle. Subscribers who have bought a few weapons and boosts can do that in 3 weeks. Costs maybe $50 + $15 a month. Simply put, infrequent free players are going to be at a disadvantage. The game is definitely designed to sucker people into buying station cash. I have already spent $180 on the game and have a moderate advantage over new players, but hopefully that advantage will fade after 6 months or so.

The graphics do not appear to be state of the art because the ultra setting was removed from the game at the very end of beta due to stability issues. The game is not multithreaded, which is a big problem for people with slower CPUs or even high end AMD CPUs. i5 and i7 CPUs are required to have satisfactory framerates on high settings. CPU clock speed directly affects framerates (GPU not so much), so overclockers benefit a lot.

The annoyances to which I was refering are the invulnerable shield spawn locations where stalemate battles may continue for often 30 minutes at a time. I find these annoying and they are the epitome of spawning camping. You can literally die 20 times in 5 minutes to spawn camping. Some people like this, but I hate it.
  94. Jan 28, 2013
    It's hard to describe how I feel about this game. It goes from hot to cold so quickly, and infantry combat feels so secondary to tanks and aircraft. But when you're in a big battle, it's the most fun and exciting thing every conceived. It's like you're in a Star Wars movie. So much is happening all around you, it's just so intense. I can't say it's for everyone, but it's free, andIt's hard to describe how I feel about this game. It goes from hot to cold so quickly, and infantry combat feels so secondary to tanks and aircraft. But when you're in a big battle, it's the most fun and exciting thing every conceived. It's like you're in a Star Wars movie. So much is happening all around you, it's just so intense. I can't say it's for everyone, but it's free, and worth the time to try it and see for yourself. Expand
  95. Jan 14, 2013
    COD fan boys beware! PlanetSide 2 does not focus on holding your hand till you nuke the map, pretending you obtained this with any form of skill involved. Know that this game is challenging, rewarding and hardcore. If you're looking for a AAA massive shooter, this is your only option. Just look at the negative reviews and laugh as the same Modern Warf@gs cry about how the game is not aCOD fan boys beware! PlanetSide 2 does not focus on holding your hand till you nuke the map, pretending you obtained this with any form of skill involved. Know that this game is challenging, rewarding and hardcore. If you're looking for a AAA massive shooter, this is your only option. Just look at the negative reviews and laugh as the same Modern Warf@gs cry about how the game is not a super easy bore-fest. Chest out, chin up, this is war! There is no room for cry babies on the battlefield! Expand
  96. Sep 11, 2013
    Three distinct factions, fighting on three huge continents for the supremacy on the planet. Many classes to choose from with a detailed and durable character growth system.

There is no need to spend money to be competitive. Deep, immense and fast-paced: PlanetSide 2 is a MMOFPS that played in a group offers hours of pure fun. Unfortunately it still lacks of a solid outfit system

There is no need to spend money to be competitive.

Unfortunately it still lacks of a solid outfit system and it's bad optimized for most personal computers.
  97. Sep 14, 2013
    as a child i dreamed of having a massive battle with hundreds of soldiers in the comfort of my home.
    Planetside 2 has fulfilled my desires. but... just at a low framerate. but really... it runs like ass. it fails to run on acceptable framerates on any Intel i7 processer. and every AMD processer will have trouble running the game because the developers cant optimize for sh*t. the only thing that can run this game is an Intel I5 processer. small improvements have been seen but AMD processer users are screwed until the ps4 comes out with the 8 core AMD apu inside it. now for the shop system/ balance: this game is pay to win. i do not care what anybody states. the only guns you get are rifles, machine guns and AUTOMATIC SNIPERS. (the auto snipers are sh*t compared to bolt action). most guns cost around 5-10 dollars. but that can be overlooked. now the vehicles are fine in the sense that their default weapons get the job done just fine. but the jets on each team come with only a machine gun on them. you can buy rocket pods or heat seekers. heat seekers are generally useless since the machine gun is plenty to take down enemy aircraft. but the pods are a major thing. you can destroy infantry and vehicles in a matter of seconds with these. and they cost TEN DOLLARS. i have played 100 hours of this game and i earned a total of 1142 credits. that is eleven dollars.

-but why do i give this game a seven? because its the only game of its kind that can pull it off. and the developers are actually working on it, slowly, but they are. in the last patch my sister gained TEN FRAMES on her AMD machine that had an APU. from 15 to 25. the developers are working and in a year this game will be perfect. just need to be patient
  98. Jan 7, 2015
    I'm so sad about it but I have to rewrite my personal review for this game (that was a plain 10/10). This game had the potential to become the new standard for tactical multiplayer FPS genre. Well, after so many hours of playing and nearly 2 years of development after official release I can say it failed.

It failed not because of the game concept, which was there (it only had to be

It failed not because of the game concept, which was there (it only had to be developed...), but due to the really poor behaviour of SOE. I won't go any further about it, I'll just say that now Planetside 2 is just an infinite team deathmatch like many others. The only differences are the following:

- very poor performance and many bugs
    - four big maps to play in (not always available due to continent lock)
    - very big chaotic battles

It's fun... for a while.
  99. Nov 27, 2012
    Planetside 2 is a game that has unbelievable polish for what is a free game. while i admit that it has lag issues and bugs there are moments in this game that are absolutely spectacular. Plus its FREE so go play it for yourself
  100. Jun 5, 2013
    This game is still in progress so I'll be updating this review eventually.

This game is still in progress so I'll be updating this review eventually.

The game as of writing this is heavily flawed. The team doesn't listen to a damn thing that the player-base ask to be changed and intentionally sabotage certain aspects of the game for 'balancing'. The developers have a philosophical thought about their game and add elitist players who froth at the thought of anything against the devs current plans; you have situation where the play-base has almost no say about anything that happens.

This is a free to play game so you lose NOTHING for giving it a try, but you should think long and hard before considering about buying station cash or becoming a premium member. The fact that SOE doesn't permanently add 'real money' upgrades to all your characters and flat out refuses to transfer characters from one server to another is disgusting.

This game has a lot of work before I'll give it anything more than a neutral rating.
  101. Jul 14, 2013
    The game is absolutely amazing. However, it is quiet a bit complicated to learn, (but substantially easier than the original Planetside) and it is SPRAWLING with hackers. Certain weapons are over-powered and some are under-powered. The system they use to show a gun's damage, fire rate, etc. is screwed up. And if you want to have a better playing experience, you'll have to pay for aThe game is absolutely amazing. However, it is quiet a bit complicated to learn, (but substantially easier than the original Planetside) and it is SPRAWLING with hackers. Certain weapons are over-powered and some are under-powered. The system they use to show a gun's damage, fire rate, etc. is screwed up. And if you want to have a better playing experience, you'll have to pay for a membership. But let's look at the positive things: If you like Multiplayer FPS, then this is for you. The size of each of the three maps blows my mind. You're familiar with your Call of Duty maps? Well try putting 20+ of those on a map and spacing them well apart. That's how big these maps are. The entire originality of this game is appealing and the fun never stops. The people who don't like it? most likely the same people who only play COD... on xbox. Once you get the hang of this game, you'll have a blast! Collapse

1. May 10, 2013