8.7

1. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply the best Valve game ever. It took the brilliance and innovation of Portal and formed it into an actual full fledged title.

Proof that Valve still dominates PC gaming and knows how to bring the public high quality titles.
  2. Apr 19, 2011
    I really don't understand what's with all these bad reviews. Maybe they're trolls who can't stand that this is an EXCELLENT GAME and that DRAGON AGE 2 SUCKS. Deal with it and move on. Yes PC gamer prefers Portal 2 and gave it an editor's pick unlike DA 2. Well, this is an absolutely amazing game and nobody should miss it. doubt it? read the reviews! how could it be bad with some many 100s? 10/10
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Pay no attention to the negative reviews, this is still a fantastic, funny, mind-bending experience that will go down in history. It takes all the good things about the first, and multiplies them, and also adds a handful of innovations. Game of The Year so far
  4. Apr 19, 2011
    So, I haven't finished the game yet, but I've played a good 2 hours worth and I must say that this game has met all of my expectations so far. Did I mention I've played for 2 hours and still not done? Instead of the 30-60 minutes Portal 1 offered? Valve definitely put a good amount of time into this game. Graphics are just as good as the ones seen on youtube in HD and most, if not all, of the glitches have been taken out of the game. Overall, (so far), Awesome game, definitely worth your money. If your not convinced, go watch all those demo vids on youtube that Valve probably stopped deleting. Expand
  5. Apr 19, 2011
    What is with all the Trolls and haters? Finished the game in 4 hours? Did you cheat? Are you just lying? Why are there so many (or so few, but with lots of accounts and too much free time) people with apparent vendettas against Valve? The "DLC" that these whiners are crying about in no way affects game play. They are hats and little dances for Co-Op mode. If you don't want them, don't buy them. It almost seems like they were put in as a joke anyway. Did these crybabies even try the Co-Op mode? As for the game engine, if they would trade in their 15" CRT monitors for something a little bigger and newer, they could see the game with a better resolution. Also, while you're at it, plop down another $50 to get a decent budget video card so you can play at something above minimum. And finally, as for a console port: Clearly, these trolls have not ever played an actual console port, such as Borderlands.

Overall, i think Valve has outdone themselves once again. Yes, there has been some hype, but not enough to warrant this kind of "backlash".
  6. Apr 19, 2011
    OK, i've played 30 minutes this morning... But in this time i've had much more fun than in the whole 12 hours i've played Dragon Age 2 so far...
    I was sceptical if it would live up to the fantastic first part, but it definitively seems so...
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    This game was great. Some of the poor reviews have legitimate gripes, although the majority seem to be by people who a) don't get that its a puzzle game and expect some kickass story with awesome ending b) have difficulty solving puzzles c) got super hyped up and as usual dissapointed because it's not battlefield 3 with portal guns d) chucking a tanty over optional dlc that adds no value to the game.
    Giving this 10 out of 10 to save it from the retards of the world.
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    It's got everything that I expected it to have and much, much more, such as... a loading screen between every single level! Huzzah! Oh.. wait... no. I almost forgot that I LOATH loading screens with the passion of a thousand blazing suns!! Seriously, ya think they could have come up with a more clever way of loading each level. Maybe something like, oh I dunno, using opaque windowless elevators like they did in Portal 1??

But, I digress. Ya know, when a few extra loading screens is the only reasonable imperfection that you can find in an otherwise perfect game, then you know you've got yourself a pretty damn epic piece of software. And portal 2 is epic. It's also extremely well polished. I dare speculate that the entire active bug list might fit on one sheet of paper, single sided, and double spaced. Other than a really minor sound stutter at the end of some levels, I've yet to run into anything even resembling a bug.

There's nothing else to say. Valve's crew stuck to the formula and created a squeal that is not only worthy of the original, but also strong enough to stand entirely on its own. Portal 2 is a shoe-in for Game of the Year. This game is a home run in anyone's book.

Bravo, Valve! Bravo.
  9. Apr 19, 2011
    Vivid Environments, Stunning Storytelling and an immense immersion of humour in what is the best of valves collection to date. Portal 2 has bumped the valve franchise up a notch with this co-op/single player First Person Puzzler (FPP), Its extremely enjoyable and lived up to the reputation as have all the Half-Life Series. Hopefully Episode three is tied up in with this story line somewhere.

In a short Summation: "Kick-Ass"

Valve has broken the tension between waiting for games to be made with this stunning work of art, yes, this game I would highly recommend to the gaming community. If you like the original Portal or Half-Life series, you will enjoy this TENFOLD!

Have fun, Immerse yourselves.
    PaidGamers
  10. Apr 19, 2011
    I created an account on Metacritic just to make a review for this game to counter all of the **** that it's been unjustly receiving. Portal 2 is a great game. You'll play it and love it for its story, clever puzzles, top notch voice acting, and creativity. People are being stupid and butt-hurt because they expected the game to end world hunger and cure cancer, and now they're **** about it because they've forgotten to have fun while playing a video game.

Play Portal 2. It's a hell of a lot of fun, and if you don't think so, you need to reexamine your definition of fun.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    Just to warn you people, I have realized that there are groups of people who are in "teams" to bash a certain group, or these who made troll bots to make any games look bad. It has been heard by many that most of the "anticipated" games have these terrible 0's and 1's. So here is the general metacritic public review rules to follow. ALWAYS ignore scores from 0-4. A game getting a 0-4 is impossible, unless the game itself is completely unplayable from the beginning of the game, the soundtracks are terrible, and the UIs are also terrible. (Gameplay includes anything in-game). DO NOT take 10's very seriously. Most of the times when people gives 10, it is from the hype that they just played it. HOWEVER, some games DO deserve the score 10. Just like Portal 2, it deserves the full mark, 10.

WHEN REVIEWING THE OR LOOKING AT REVIEWS,

The only legit reviews are these reviews that take an in-dept view of the gameplay, storyline, soundtrack, graphics and etc. Anything outside these are not an accurate review. Now time for my own review. This game, I can only say is one of the most brilliant game that I've played in so many years. It has been too long ever since a game producing company has made a game that really focuses on storyline and dialog. After playing this, I noticed how Half-Life 2 looked so small compared to this. Any games out looked so small and unrivaled to this ultimated game. When ValvE says its they best game ever created, then it is the best game ever created. There is no game that outmatches the storyline of this game. While challenging indeed, they give you lines of dialog time by time to keep you active in-game. There are no timed pressured **** like some other games give. This is one of these games where you could relax, and make you brain fry depending on your intelligence. Thats singleplayer without spoil. Now about the co-op. I should say, co-op is a total brilliance. Unless you chose a terribly wrong partner, there wouldn't be any raging over why can't you do this and this. Rather than single player, co-op actually require you to think way out of the box. Of course, for creators, it is a pretty easier job to create a puzzle, but as more puzzles you solve, the harder it gets, even for the creator. I recommend you to play sp first before mp. The only reason is because there is s correlation between these 2 game modes. The graphics, it might not be a beast graphic, but I tell you, for a ten years old engine, they make some terribly good graphics. Every single textures are so clean, and the weapons are so shiny that you actually want to lick the **** out it. There are no major changes is game mechanics as it only gets better from the first one. And about the DLC ****. These are trolls. Don't listen to them. These of you who are new to valve's multiplayer such as TF2, they require you to pay for specific items you can get ( which doesn't affect gameplay) to customize yourself. However, it must be noted that these items can be gained for free by playing quite a lot of times. So don't waste your money there. Or, if you want support valve to make a better DLC, then do so. Portal 2 DLC comes out after L4D2 DLC. Also, just one reminder, don't rush the game. Go slowly and try to enjoy it. Total gaming hours including co-op: 15 Hours. Replayability: If your going for achievements -> Tons If your the type that just wants to play again -> about 3-5 times. And Im probably sure, when DLC comes out, the fun just increases so much more.

Also to remind you, valve's DLCs are always free for PC. PS3 and XBOX360s are sometimes uncertain due to these corrupted company. But as far as I know, both console will have free DLC and PS3 now also supports steam, thus giving flexibility between PS3 and PC gaming.
  12. Apr 19, 2011
    Ignore all the whiners on here. Same as always with a Valve release you have people complaining about everything except the game itself. If you loved Portal, you'll love Portal 2. If you come here for the reviews (that is what this site is about right?) you'll notice most everyone loves it as well. It's funny, engaging, and one of the best co-op experiences you'll ever play. Don't want the DLC? Don't buy it. Expand
  13. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent game, with some pretty unique puzzles in there that can take a while to complete.
    It's still rather short however.
    And I don't understand all the downvotes from DLC. It's not like they're holding out half the game on you. All you don't get is a few little optional extras that don't change the game in the slightest. The game isn't perfect, but could you honestly pick anything
    pettier to complain about? Expand
  14. Apr 19, 2011
    First off, the DLC is OPTIONAL and it is very obviously just hats and stuff for co-op, if you feel the need to buy such things. NO ONE IS MAKING YOU BUY IT. Secondly the single player campaign is a good length, 3 times as long as the original and if you rush through it, you will miss so much the game has to offer. I found myself sitting still and listening or watching things going on because the game is so detailed and layered in terms of scripted background events and the dialogue itself is Class A comedy. Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons shine here. I feel like the game dragged in the middle, the new game play elements were hit and miss, the paint levels being somewhat more frustrating than they should have been but otherwise the level design is tight and smart. Really looking forward to the level editor. Load times have to be my biggest grievance against the game but when it does so much else right, I'll begrudge it these small issues.

Buy the game, ignore the DLC if you want, find a friend and play the co-op. And most of all, enjoy the game. Not many comedies are as funny as it and very few games are as intelligent.
  15. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm writing this review purely to offset the uncalled for bashing against this game.
    Not to spoil the experience for those enjoying the game right now, let me tell you, you won't be disappointed. It's a shame to see people getting so upset over an optional DLC which adds little other than non-essential cosmetic changes. These reviews are exaggerated to say the least! If you enjoyed Portal
    1 then you will most definitely enjoy Portal 2. Expand
  16. Apr 19, 2011
    The best game Valve has ever made. The single player is short but perfectly written. The new game play elements are amazing, making every puzzle unique. The voice acting is probably the best I've ever seen in a video game. Valve has done it again.
  17. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't completed it yet, but so far it's much, much better than I expected. Obvious GOTY.
    The characters are the most compelling I've ever experienced in any game, and tough the ending was spoiled by a stupid leak (why on earth didn't Valve just release this when it was done?), it seemed like a really good one.
    I won't give it full score, though, as the DLC **** HAS to stop.
  18. Apr 19, 2011
    Simply amazing.

The game easily improves everything in the old one.

The characters are great, the environments are varied, gameplay is fun and has a lot of twists with the different gels and stuff.

co op mode is a blast, and easily the most fun Ive had online this year (Even better than Magicka).

If you loved Portal 2, youll love this even more.
  19. Apr 19, 2011
    The big stink behind portal 2's low user reviews score is due to the fact that valve was charging outrageous amounts of money for cosmetic dlc. That being you said you don't have to buy it and it is a fantastic game outside of that and Valve has always done a good job of pleasing its fans. Don't buy the dlc if you don't want it, the game itself is fantastic as is.
  20. Apr 19, 2011
    This game didn't really live up to the amount of hype created. It seems like a quick buck for valve to found episode 3. The gameplay has been improved from the original and the graphics+sound are superior even though it's on the source engine as well. I found the early puzzles to be amusing but hardly challenging, yet as the game progresses the difficulty is increased largely after the 13th area. Overall it was a worthwhile game but did not live up to the massive amount of hype it created. Expand
  21. Apr 19, 2011
    Easily the best game I've played so far this year; all of the writing is excellent, especially the parts with Cave Johnson. The level design is very typical of Valve, very well executed and detailed with careful attention to even the littlest bits of foliage. The ending is apparently very easy to misinterpret, as I've seen quite a few people posting about how a sequel is inevitable but I really can't see that happening. Portal 2 actually wraps up the Aperture storyline quite nicely in my opinion, but we'll see.

The game is definitely pretty lengthy compared to the first one, sporting two separate campaigns; Valve has publicly stated that the single player campaign is three times the length of the original, while the campaign for the co-op times at about twice the length of the original; having five times the content at a little over double the price seems like a very fair and generous trade off to me :)

Ignore the hate and definitely check this title out if you're a Valve fan, you won't be disappointed. It's a shame a solid game can't be released anymore without a flood of miscreants who haven't even played the game rating it at a 0/10. Mais, c'est la vie~
  22. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a 6 - 8 hour game, with another 6 - 8 hour co-op campaign, in total making this around 14 hours long. The game offers the opportunity to buy small vanity items for your co-op characters, however these have no affect on gameplay and are entirely optional. The ending isn't a cliffhanger, more of an open-ending. If anything, it wraps up the plot more than leaves you waiting for more.
    People are judging this game a bit too harshly, this really is up to Valve standard, and was definitely worth the wait.
  23. Apr 19, 2011
    Noh my god this is the best game ever this is in no way a strawman account used to artificially inflate the user score since certain grassroots nintendrones and xbots have conspired to spread libel to soothe their butthurt. You can type it here, but not there.
  24. Apr 19, 2011
    All these low reviews must have not bought the DLC. I bought the DLC as soon as I heard about it, it makes the game so much better. I've been telling all my friends to buy the full DLC pack, and I encourage you to do the same. Great game. Thanks, Valve.
  25. May 27, 2011
    Just a 10 of 10.. brilliant humor and fantastic and challenging levels.. something for the brain and soul! No bugs/problems during gameplay (three times) and multiplayer co-op. Everything i expect from a game
  26. Apr 19, 2011
    Absolutely no problems with this game. The puzzles are fun, yet take a lot of thinking. The sound is crisp and nice. The graphics are the graphics you expect from Valve's Source Engine, with a bit more detail. The whole concept of Aperture Science all abandoned and with a lot of vegetation growth only adds to the atmosphere. The story is confusing at first, but you'll pick up. Don't let the other user reviews let you think otherwise, this game is amazing. If you're new to Portal though, I suggest you play the first one then the second one. There's no DLC with this game at all, just some cosmetic skins for Co-Op. The skins change no game play and just add for decoration. This game deserves the score it got, it's fantastic. Expand
  27. Apr 19, 2011
    Another wonderful masterpiece brought to you by VALVe. This is A+ quality, well worth the $50 bucks.
    Everything looks so good in this game, the source engine seems to have evolved, it looks prettier than ever.
    If you liked the first installment of Portal, i'm sure you'll love Portal 2 with passion.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    I think this game is brilliant! Nevertheless, I have only played it for three hour now, it's simply fantastic! The puzzles haven't lost their challenge and the plot seems to be again interesting. Co-op mode will surely add more complexity to the game like new pro- and repulsion gels. Some have complained about DLCs but as far as I understand, they're purely cosmetic and won't change gameplay or -mechanics. Expand
  29. Apr 19, 2011
    ...
    Let me preface this by saying I could give less than two **** about the DLCs. I didn't even know they existed to begin with. Since I just finished the single player campaign, I feel ready to write this review. Why? Because honestly, the single player campaign was awesome. Ridiculously varied from the first game and insanely brilliant puzzles. A lot of people are complaining about the
    "Please don't turn off your console" dialogue that shows up when you are saving. I don't understand how people can be so immature about this. The entire game feels just as PC tailored as the previous game, and any other fantastic Valve creation. If that little line of dialogue is enough to piss you off, boy you sure haven't played the other PC to console games yet. And rest assured, there is NO cliffhanger ending for Portal 2; everything wraps up perfectly, as you will experience. Honestly, you would be doing yourself an incredible injustice to yourself to dismiss this game on such trivial grounds. One thing that is true however is that the campaign is short. I finished it in 3.9 hours according to Steam (though it's strange because I started at 10:30 pm and ended at 6:00). However, just like with CoD4, this campaign is intensely satisfying, and making it longer would have definitely killed the fun. Personally Portal 2 would have been well worth $60 (I got the PS3 version for $55 with $20 Amazon credit and played the Steam version) but that's just me. Regardless of how much you are willing to pay for it, I definitely recommend that you eventually play this game if you loved the first one like I did. It is a sequel that improves upon its predecessor in every way imaginable. (P.S. This game ran full res/high textures on my Atom 330/nVidia ION netbook so it should run well in most computers) Expand
  30. Apr 21, 2011
    Don't misunderstand me - I loved the game... for about 6 hours. The maps are beautifully designed, the characters are fun to listened to, the storyline is great and I really liked the coop mode. For all those points the game would get 10/10 points. But what I didn't like was that the levels were much too easy compared to the first part. In most levels the solution was so predictable and I never had to think about it more than some minutes. And 6 hours of fun for that price is definitively not enough. Expand
  31. Apr 19, 2011
    Great game. Love the music and sound effects, the storyline, the voice acting, the environments.

All those people complaining about DLC: don't do it here, on the Portal 2 PC page, as the DLC on PC is free. There is a page for the PS3 version of the game, voice your complaints there.

To the guy who said "Subjecting the fan base to a marketing scam to get the game a few hours earlier", I
    fail to see how it was a scam. You weren't forced to participate, it was clear what participating would do, and you got some great indie games at a heavily discounted price out of it too. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    Game of the Year. The coop is genius, the new puzzle elements are mindbending, and GlaDOS has finally taken off the kiddy gloves. She's taking her science personal.... and I like it.
  33. Apr 19, 2011
    Um., Day 1 DLC? What the hell are you guys smoking? You talking about the shop? THAT DOESNT CHANGE GAMEPLAY (Unlike ACTIVISION with their 15 dollar mappacks), you have no right to complain about that, its in TF2, so why not portal 2?
  34. Apr 19, 2011
    I really don't know what is up with the negative reviews. Yes, it's more expensive. But I played this last night and it was awesome fun since the last one in 2007. I was skeptical at first as well, but the great voice acting once again and the new game mechanics proved me wrong.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    Anybody saying this is a bad game has clearly not played it
    It's by far the best game valve has ever made (with the exception of HL²) And what's with everybody raging about DLC? IT'S COMPLETELY OPTIONAL AND YOU CAN UNLOCK IT FOR FREE JUST BY PLAYING THE GAME!

Also, all negative reviews are trolls from /v/ http://i.imgur.com/6lohn.jpg
  36. Apr 19, 2011
    Some people's complaints about modern gaming's business models aside Valve's Portal 2 is a game full of dark humor and wonderful character that's easily the best thing you'll have the to opportunity to waste your money on this year.

If you liked Portal you will like this. That's all there is to it. We're done here.
  37. Apr 19, 2011
    "Simply Said, this game deserves a 10 out of 10, and when I punch those numbers into my calculator it makes a Happy Face."

I am impressed with the work and care Valve has put into this game. This is extremely close to being the best Valve game of all. It took me 6.5-7 hours to play through the singleplayer game, and the whole time I was amazed with great storytelling, super gameplay and
    even superb graphics. This one blows Portal 1 away and then there's still Multiplayer to go through.

Portal 2 does feature DLC but just as TF2, it is seriously overpriced, but then again, who gives a crap about a stupid hat ?
  38. Apr 19, 2011
    I want to make this really clear, Portal 2 is amazing. I am disappointed with the number of people who have complained because A) they think the game is to short and B) they bought DLC obviously selling 'trivial' content and C) they believe the visuals are poor.

Before I discuss those two points I want to say why I think this is game is incredible, firstly it succeeds in being a great
    sequel, it's added loads of new gameplay mechanics to freshen up the puzzles and gameplay and hasn't tainted the original essence of its predecessor. The production values are astounding there are huge set pieces, stunning effects and some of the best voice acting i've ever heard in a game from the cast, particularly Stephen Merchant for his excellent performance as the babbling Wheatley and Ellen McLain returns scary as ever as everyones favourite AI baddy GLADOS.

Now to comment on the three main criticisms i've seen. The singleplayer took many hours for me to play (at least 7 hours) and I haven't even touched the cooperative mode either which is sure to take several hours as well. The day 1 dlc is quite obviously not meant to "extend play" and is instead meant for novelty, also you can buy all the dlc in a bundle for about a quarter of the price than if you bought each item separately (if you still bought it and feel cheated then your too stupid to be playing this game). Finally, while the source engine is indeed quite old, even on my moderately powered laptop the game certainly looked impressive (admittedly the framerate did falter during 'busy' segments of the game) and those of you with more powerful computers and the people who will buy the console versions will enjoy the game looking even better.

In conclusion, Portal 2 is a must buy this year, a certain contender for game of the year (if only Mass Effect 3 wasn't coming out this year), the game is smart, clever, well designed and a joy to play and I highly recommend picking it up but please if you haven't already please play the first game because it makes the experience that much better.

P.S. The ending is a great one, I can't believe some people didn't like it, It will leave you wanting more is all i'm going to say
  39. Apr 19, 2011
    FACT: DLC doesn't mean purely cosmetic items such as skins. If you believe this, you're retarded.
    FACT: 9 hours, plus 5 hours doesn't equal a short game.
    FACT: You don't have to buy any COSMETIC items, they in no way affect the game.
    FACT: Acting like a self-entitled brat just makes all gamers look bad.

This is all coming from a guy who got a golden potato, but didn't get jack squat from Valve.
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    Please ignore all of the negative reviews. It's just /v/ getting mad over the fact that Valve is charging money for in-game avatars, and it has nothing to do with the game itself.

These people, despite claiming that "vidya" games is their passion thing that they truly enjoy, will try as hard as they can to find fault with a game and let this fault (however minor) ruin the experience for
    them. They are heartless, lonely, vengeful individuals who spend their nights alone on the internet bashing video games and will take any opportunity they can to "fight for justice" and have their voice heard, as you can see here.

These poor people are lonely, bitter and cold, and any humanity they did have has died out long ago. You should simply ignore their blind hate, then pity their existence and move on.
  41. Apr 19, 2011
    Do not take the majority of these reviews seriously. /v/ of **** has decided to "metabomb" the game. There is not Day 1 DLC, you get the entire game when you pay for it, and the game is very fun. The I have been playing for well over 10 hours, and am not all the way through the game. I can tell you however that the new mechanics, add a new level of challenge to the game and force you to think in new ways.
    Portal 2 is the best sequel I could have hope for.
  42. Apr 19, 2011
    It's clear that if you're a hardcore gamer, and somewhat autistic, this game is too short for the price paid, and you won't appreciate the dialogue. But if you're more casual, and you enjoy and appreciate humor, sarcasm and deadpan passive-aggressive menace, you'll probably really, really enjoy this game

And you shouldn't buy the DLC.
  43. Apr 19, 2011
    This is one of the best games in the world. The gameplay is very entertaining, dialogs are brilliant and graphics is rather good. The best game Valve has ever made.
  44. Apr 19, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hands down the best game I have played in a long, long time. Just finished the single player in one 7 hour sitting and could barely tear myself away the entire time. The writing was stunning and the game as a whole expanded on everything offered in the original Portal by leaps and bounds. I'm disappointed to see many other users giving this game unfairly low scores because of day 1 DLC and a single bug where the save message displays "do not turn off your console before save is completed". Valve explained on their forums that late in the development process it was easier to keep the message in when trying to obtain certificates from Sony and Microsoft in order to release the game, and it is forgivable that removing the message may have slipped under the developers radars. The DLC is purely cosmetic, doesn't affect the game in any way and is essentially just hats, paint skins and a few animations. I've heard reports from people that achieving certain achievements in-game has actually helped to unlock some of the DLC for them, showing that it may be a similar system to items in TF2 where Valve has obviously taken the idea from.

The ARG marketing leading up to the release was a nice touch and really helped build up deserved hype for this excellent game.
  45. Apr 19, 2011
    The best puzzle game made ever. Don't lie mother*****, singleplayer campaign of game continues 7 hours, not 2-3. And remember, PC version is not console port, you will ask me why "Why", I'll answer you that first gameplay videos was a PC version gameplay, "Please don't turn off your console" is just confused text files.
  46. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is so much better than the original portal. Glados is back and hilarious, and now the addition of Cave makes it even more funny (the personality sphere is funny but sometimes a bit 'meh'). Gels, lasers and the other devices make the puzzles much more fun to solve and more satisfying as well. Dont listen to the buthurt people complaining about DLC, the reviews by ign, eurogamer etc are much more accurate. Expand
  47. Apr 19, 2011
    After the end credits roll on Portal 2, it's kind of hard to believe that this series had its humble beginnings as a student project called Narbacular Drop, which itself just laid down the basic mechanical framework for the kind of fourth-dimensional puzzle-solving of the original Portal. Even the original Portal was all but defined by its tight focus and limited scale; it just executed on all those elements with a consistent, almost preternatural level of ingenuity and humor. I use the somewhat dismissive "just" here because the challenges of following up something so inventive and so universally well-received are arguably greater than coming up with the core concept in the first place. The element of surprise was a significant factor in the impact of the original Portal, but going into Portal 2, you know how a portal gun works, you know that Aperture Science is essentially a less diabolical, but equally irresponsible counterpart to Half-Life's Black Mesa, and you know that GlaDOS likes testing, but loves murder. With these known quantities in mind, Valve does about the smartest thing it can with a full-blown sequel to such an effectively minimalist package by tossing out many of the self-imposed restrictions of the original and largely ignoring the temptation to lean on lots of easy callbacks. What it lacks in the surprise punch the original packed, it makes up for with scope and scale, couching that now-familiar combination of deadpan humor and brain-boggling puzzles in a game that's significantly bigger and more robust in virtually every meaningful way, but without feeling any less dense. Expand
  48. Apr 20, 2011
    I actually agree that the ARG promotion was a bit lame if your only interest was Portal 2, but if you enjoy playing indie games, it offered a great deal on many solid titles and gave them some free press, which is not something intelligent gamers will complain about.

The DLC is not a factor at all. For one thing, the XBOX version which I purchased doesn't have any DLC, and even if it did,
    as I understand it offers nothing that I would feel even the slightest bit compelled to purchase. It's ignorant to resent Valve for taking the money of people who are willing to give it to them simply because you're not willing. Get a job, kids...or stop wanting silly hats.

As for the actual merits of the game, so far it's got everything I loved about the original, but more and better. The difficulty of the first 4 hours could be increased somewhat, but I suspect that's only because I enjoyed the first game so thoroughly that it has made "portalthinking" more natural for me. For a new player, the difficulty is likely spot on.

As for the length, I'm 4.5 hours into single player mode and I've only had any significant delays in one room which left me somewhat stumped for no more than 10 minutes. If anyone is clearing it in 4 hours or less, they already know the solutions to all the rooms and are simply sprinting thru each level without taking time to actually look around or listen to dialogue. Besides, if the game actually deserved a 0 rating, "too short" wouldn't be a flaw; it would be a blessing.
  49. Apr 19, 2011
    Single player lasted longer than I though, but still turned out to be a bit short for fifty bucks. Otherwise the production values are top notch, the acting is great. Multi-Player is flawless, but also suffers from being so short. It seems that the replayability of Portal 2 seems to be riding on the community support of custom maps and challenges. But you might expect a few play throughs to gather up all the secrets you might have forgotten. Expand
  50. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve proves once again that it is the best game studio out there. A great sequel with a great atmosphere. Although i also think that dlcs, ingame shops, console versions and the like are absolutely unacceptable, i will ignore them for my rating of the game. The game is nearly perfect and deserves a 10. Only for ppl who playd portal 1 ofc.
  51. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a damn good game, everything from the original is worked upon and improved - The puzzles, the writing, it's all top notch. The lack of multiplayer has been addressed with a separate co-op mode with it's own (admittedly short) storyline, but I wasn't expecting much in the way of story outside of the single player.
    Now for the controversial stuff.
    I was not expecting the day one
    DLC, and I will admit it is something of a dick move on Valve's part, but it doesn't affect the gameplay in any way. All the pieces of DLC are purely cosmetic changes for the multiplayer characters and you're not left out in the cold for not being able to afford a new paint job. None the less, the DLC is the reason I'm not giving the game a 10. It left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths, but it doesn't overly impact the quality of the experience. Expand
  52. Apr 19, 2011
    the people saying its only 2-5 hrs long have obv not played the game...the game is about 12 hrs single player and 10 hrs co op, so they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about. This is easily valves best game so far and it deserves a 9 and above....from the hilariously well written dialogue, to the awesome puzzles only console gamers cant figure out, to cross platform between the ps3 and pc, this game is marvelous. The people complaining about the potato sack sale are complete retards. you weren't forced to buy anything and the game was not delayed in any matter. So for you to be complaining for a company to do marketing, then you have some serious issues. Also, if you actually did the potato sack buy, you were rewarded, with a golden potato and the complete vale collection including PORTAL 2, so seriously, go whine somewhere else. Valve did this to support indie developers and its a shame to see the pc gaming community behave like Microsoft in this regard and not help out with what valve did. Its a sad day in pc gaming. I, however, will continue to support Valve in every single game. They have not disappointed me ever. Expand
  53. Apr 19, 2011
    Lawl. haters gonna hate I spose. well, lets set it straight.
    1) no DLC to speak of on PC. and apparently none on consoles either according to a fair number of people.
    2) bout 8-10 hours of gameplay if you're fast. saying "4 hours" means you're ****
    3)heard nothing but good things from console users, unless you're implying it was ported from console to PC, then I don't even got to say ****
    just LOL at ragefail (valve = PC ;) )
    love all the console rage from people on the PC area. way to learnz2read gaiz :D
    P.S. ALMOST FORGOT- Game is great, worth the money, you won't be disappointed. let the haters hate and have fun ^^
  54. Apr 19, 2011
    I don't get the outcry about the DLC. The DLC is a completely extra thing that nobody could claim should have belonged in the base game. (You are really pissed about not getting beanie caps for your robots??? #firstworldproblems). Our community has gotten completely ridiculous in acting like if anybody wants money for anything, they must be evil. Well, we exchange money for things we like, and Portal 2 fits the bill. It's a beautifully designed, and wonderfully written, clever and fun video game. The single player campaign seems very long so far -- certainly didn't thrash it out in six hours like the original Portal. Calm down, people. Expand
  55. Apr 19, 2011
    This was a great game. Great voice work, level design, challenge, and amazing graphics for an outdated engine. It is about 6 hours for both the single player and coop story lines . While there is an in-game store, it only has different skins and gestures to customize the coop characters. There is nothing that effects the gameplay at all, it is only a cosmetic change. As with all of there other games, I'm certain Valve will release free "game changing" DLC. Also, people can also count on the community to release some crazy made stuff Expand
  56. Apr 19, 2011
    what is included in portal 2 is brilliant. Trouble is, why has valve become so greedy for money? It is not fair what they are doing with the saga, what happend with good old Valve?
  57. Apr 19, 2011
    Not sure what the angrymonkeys are complaining about...

Downloadable Content for
    Portal 2
    There is no downloadable content available for this game.

nuff said.
  58. Apr 19, 2011
    DON'T LISTEN TO THE DOWN VOTERS CRYING LIKE BABIES --> It's just angry people feeling the need to troll the score basically. The complaints of a DLC store don't actually mean the game ITSELF is bad. They're just the kind of people who like to **** about things like this, even though THEY DON'T NEED WHAT'S IN THE STORE AT ALL. It could not exist at all, and people get none of what's for sale, and nobody would be complaining. But holy **** if Valve is to offer some extra content that ISN'T all free for once, and people get pissy. The actual DLC content, meaning more playtime, will still be free. But Valve has to look for reliable ways to make long-term money off of games. Valve's development times are long, and the games all drop to the $15-20 range rather quickly, with $5 sales happening often. They have to profit to be able to grow, and accomplish more. That doesn't mean the Valve office is going to get gold toilets. But it does mean they can hire more people, improve Steam further, keep things running smoother, and develop games with a larger overall team to get more work done. Expand
  59. Apr 19, 2011
    Wonderful game with so much humor and intelligent puzzles. I played singleplayer campaign in about 6 hours, listening to all the dialogs and enjoying every bit of moment. Looking forward to coop!

And those id*** who claim about the "optional"! hats and stuff (which are meant to be dlc) doesn't count. The game is superb and probably one of the best games this year.
  60. Apr 19, 2011
    A perfect game. It's as simple as that. Co-op is fantastic and single player is even better. With an engrossing story and some fun yet challenging puzzles what's not to love? The day 1 DLC. Who gives a damn. It doesn't affect gameplay at all. How about you buy the game first? If you didn't click the robot enrichment you wouldn't even know it's there. Simple as that. Enjoy this great game as it should be.

61. Apr 19, 2011
    i was wrong game is great, golden potato'ers got a just reward i cant complain at all

i love tf2 the portal 2 store is cool also viva portal 2. feelsbadman.jpeg
  62. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a worthy successor to the original. Sure the original had 1/10th the content and was basically bundled in with TF2 and HL2:Ep2 so you had a bunch of people thinking they got it for "free" and so they rated those 90 mins - 3 hrs as being amazing because they cost $5. Portal 2 is worth the full retail price. I pre-ordered it on Steam, got home from work today and played it for 6 hrs and still haven't finished the SP campaign but i'm well into it enough to say that it is a definite 9/10. Same great dialogue, character development, tantalising hints of a greater and much more epic story that links Aperture Science to the Half Life canon, without being too familiar. If anything this was it's biggest threat, being so familiar that people playing Portal 1 community maps would find Portal 2 disinteresting, but I personally found it refreshing at times and also very much like I was returning home at others. If you liked the Portal Universe you glimpsed previously, then you will definitely enjoy this. Steam version is the best version as always. Ignore the /v/ trolls. Runs flawlessly at 1920x1080 in vista on my q9450/260gtx. Great stuff GabeN. Cue 'jazz music' as this level is quite a challenge. Expand
  63. Apr 20, 2011
    You could argue about Valve strategy about vanity items for sale or whatever, but there's no way you should take seriously anyone telling you that Portal 2 is anything less than an outstanding game.

It's funny, it's clever, it's unique and it improves the original concept by miles.

Valve deserves better than a bunch of angry kids pissing on its work.

10.0
  64. Apr 19, 2011
    A great continuation of the portal story. It's sad to see users such as "Valvesucks" needlessly bring down the user score when they obviously haven't tried the game.

Also if you look at the review history for "DayoneDLC", "torako", "JLF", "Dickwolves", and "mQCmD's" they are all obviously fake accounts that were created just to give Portal 2 and Dragon Age 2 a score of 0. It's the same
    person making multiple accounts. Expand
  65. Apr 19, 2011
    Awesome game, very well written, very well built. nice challenges, awesome graphics (especially that it's an old engine) , those bad reviews are just troll, not sure why they take on this game, it deserves its price. Valve > *
  66. Apr 19, 2011
    good game, people who are rating low are just stupid trolls from /v/ (thats the place on the internet were underage idiots go)

DLC is great and i bought all the hats because im not a low life like everyone on /v/ (i did something with my life and have a good job)

fun gameplay, really expanded on the first.
  67. Apr 19, 2011
    Don't get hung up on extras that don't affect the gameplay or the story. They are easily ignorable. You might not even know its there unless someone tells you.
    Whining gaming babies are babies!
    DLC? Hats? Those make you angry? Grow up and get over yourself.
  68. Apr 19, 2011
    For god's sake people! Crying over petty optional cosmetic changes and calling it DLC? SERIOUSLY?
    It's not even story content! you're not missing anything, and you're not FORCED to buy it. Just because a developer happens to release DLC on launch day, it doesn't mean that god is going to use the force on you to click buy!

Grade the game on its content, not minor bumps and bugs. And being
    too short isn't an excuse either. Ever hear of quality not quantity? A million pennies or one million dollar check, you tell me.

All in All, a fantastic game. The characters, although being mostly robots, are more compelling then any human characters in any other game. Hats off to you Valve.
  69. Apr 19, 2011
    Greetings MetaCritic users. I doubt most of you will read this message, or take it seriously given the current situation. Some of you might remember Dragon Age 2, and how it well it did with its "users" and the hilarious unfair scores they gave it. I came to you again today to tell you that the same thing is being perpetrated again with the videogame Portal 2. A website known as **** is launching a raid from its videogame image board against portal 2.
    They are fully aware all the DLC can be gained from simply playing the videogame, and they are fully aware the item cash shop plays absolutely no role in the videogames presentation, and gameplay.

Nothing was cut, or removed to be sold later.
    Everything in the item shop, I'll say once more. Can be earned playing the videogame.
    Simple as that.

What you are seeing here is nothing more then the manifestation of an anonymous image board that believes they are more powerful, well reasoned and knowledgeable than pretty much anyone else who's ever stepped within 30 feet of their personal computer.

Anyone knows their way around the internet is already well aware that the people who frequent ****'s /v/ videogames, contains some of the most foul mouthed, and unreasonable human beings to ever grace out planet.

So make no mistake when you visit metacritic, and you see good games like Dragon Age II, and Portal 2 being 0'd down into obscurity.
    They will say things like "Well its not right to give the game a perfect 10!! It doesn't deserve it!"

Guess what /v/ - Videogames, from ****. It doesn't deserve a 0 either, you unpleasable misinformed children. What you are doing is blatant, foul, not only are you attempting to damage the face of portal 2 and valve, but your attacks also are sometimes directly at Gabe Newell himself. Ordinary I wouldn't bat an eye last at a few customers who had a bad mishap with a videogame, and voted it down because of it.

However there is zero justification for this. It is simply nothing more than an organized attack on Valve, and Portal 2.
    ****'s /v/ - videogames almost got away with this with Dragon Age II, and even David Gaider himself called out **** for this, and they cried wolf, and claimed they had nothing to do with this, and that it was "the will of the people/customer" However this was never the case, and the same applies here.
    What you are seeing is nothing more than an organized assault on metacritics users, and the developers who aim to deliver us videogames. ****s children believe if they shout loud enough and make enough 10 minute emails, and spam here with 0's they will be able to down out the people who enjoyed this game, and make it look like this game is a total abomination.
    It simply is not.
    If you have ever been iffy about professional reviewers, today isn't the day to second guess.
    They weren't making this up when they said this game is fantastic.

This is nothing more than a childish, and bandwagon state of affairs that only shows the true face of what David Gaider and dragon age II were facing on metacritic. Now it is simply time for Valve, one of the most respected PC platform champions to face the the wrath of shouting children from ****'s /v/- videogames.

I hope you have taken the time to read this, and now realize that these user scores simply can no longer be taken seriously, as their innocents, and validity has been robbed from the users, and meta critic.

This is not only a sad day for gamers, but is the face of shame **** brings upon us when we realize we have to play online with these fools.

Thanks for your time.
    ~RealDeal7
  70. Apr 19, 2011
    Unfortunately a number of small minded, petty people have become blinded by anger at the decisions of valve and seem to be unaware that they are supposed to be rating and reviewing the game, not the developer or distributor. In short, simply disregard any zero reviews. But I digress, Portal 2 is an excellent game. The graphics have undergone a huge improvement since the origional with greatly improved gameplay. One of the greatest carry-overs from the origional is the fantastic writing, I was genuinely laughing throughout and the performaces behind the voices were amongst the best I have ever heard. Portal 2 is a serious contender for many gaming awards and well deserving of its praising reviews. Expand
  71. Apr 19, 2011
    I don't understand all these complaints. Ungrateful, whiny, new age gamers. How our community has fallen from grace. The early leak was a privelage, and this game itself is a gift from the video game gods. The wit and humor is brilliant, and saying this game is too short is like saying chocolate cake sucks because there isn't enough of it. You love it. The next generation of gamers is here, and it is an ignorant one. Appreciate a masterpeice when you get it. Expand
  72. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic game. I followed the whole ARG surrounding the game and was amazed at the effort that had been put into it. I got about 6-7 hours from the single player, which whilst I would have liked more, is what I expect from a modern day game and have yet to touch the CoOp. My main reason for buying was the single player and seeing what happened to Chell, the story line is quite well thought out and some of the puzzles are very interesting. The new elements (faith plates, different liquids and lasers among others) are fantastic and work really well. My reason for rating this an 8 is mainly the duration of singleplayer and the fact that there are day one DLC's for sale (I'm not opposed to them however I do not support them). I'm rather upset that they are charging for skins of the coop bots aswell as hats, it does make the game feel a bit like Team Fortress 2. In terms of presentation the graphics are pretty good, there's some blurry textures here and there but apart from that it looks great, the physics are superb and the music fits really well. All in all I can see myself getting around 15 or so hours out of this without modding etc (doing singleplayer, getting achivs and coop) but not much more than that. Would recommend it to anyone who liked portal but if you didn't then I really doubt this is for you. Expand
  73. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is yet again one of Valve's masterpieces. Still, some people seem to deliberately post wrong information about the game to make it seem like a terrible game. This game is definitely NOT a console port, it takes at least (and that's the super minimum) 6 hours to complete on one's first run, the coop is just great and the available "DLC" is just make-up for the coop mode. Granted, you don't have to like the idea of such purchasable in-game items, but it's definitely not any additional content that people are missing out on if they don't pay for it, it's just to change your appearance in coop mode. People should value this game for its perfect story, great humor and fun, instead of taking some minor flaws and making them into huge problems. This just seems to be hatred against Valve, for no apparent reason. Expand
  74. Apr 19, 2011
    Graphics were awesome, especially lightning. It has an awesome story that will definitely make you laugh and the upgraded gameplay from Portal 1 is just the icing on the cake.
  75. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best one in its genre, yes you don't kill anyone but thinking with portals makes up for that. Aboslutely Brilliant. Thanks Valve! 10/10
  76. ajd
    Apr 19, 2011
    Valve proves their brilliance once again! I've only played the single player campaign, but I can safely say this is at least as good as, if not better than, the original Portal. Great script, interesting puzzles (that aren't too challenging) and it's a good length. I'm not going to comment on the whole ARG and leaking issues - they're irrelevant to the actual quality of the game. If you liked the original Portal you'll love Portal 2! Expand
  77. Apr 19, 2011
    If there was ever a time to ignore negative reviews this is it. This game is awesome by any definition. Yes there is some DLC available but it's all hats and such for multi player and you can unlock it by just by playing theres no need to buy any of it. It's also true that the single player campaign is a little short (well if you call 5-6 hours short) but there's an entirely separate co-op campaign that adds on another 4-5 hours at least. Visually it was very nice (it's not just the same old portal engine despite what anyone says). Anyway $45 i wont regret, i spent most of the time laughing my arse off. Expand
  78. mch
    Apr 20, 2011
    Too many haters and trolls around here. Don't like [purely cosmetic] DLC? Don't buy it. Didn't like the Potato Sack indie game promotion? Shouldn't have dished out the money for something that clearly wasn't going to affect the release date all that much.

The game is great, had me laughing and smiling ear-to-ear during my very first session. Puzzles are still challenging. As good as the
    original, with more content. Expand
  79. Apr 20, 2011
    It's a shame a few people who have obviously never played the game that decided to troll have reduced this games score. But the fact that it's still got so many positive reviews shows how many people have enjoyed this game.

True there may be some people who expected the game to be longer, but I think the length is just right. Unless your racing through the game you wont complete it in 4
    hours. Hell, I bet you couldn't even if you did race through, so far most people seem to complete it in about 6-8 hours. That's just the single player, the Co-op campaign is all original too and adds around 5 hours of content, or so I've heard, although I've not completed that yet.

The 'dlc' people complain about are all cosmetic and don't effect game play at all, I might be bothered if they were selling extra maps on there on day 1, but they aren't. I bet no one would have minded if these things were never available at all anyway. I sure wouldn't care, but good on Valve if they can make some extra money out of dumb asses. More money to make great games, they are a business at the end of the day. It's not effecting me and the majority of other players, so why complain?

I enjoyed every second of the Single player, there was no need for it to be longer, it would only be more of the same mechanics. They paced the introduction of all of the new mechanics nicely so the gameplay didn't become stale at all. I loved the story, especially the dialogue which was hilarious at times and kept me interested the whole way.
  80. Apr 19, 2011
    I feel somewhat let down. I mean its not bad but it is not as good as the original. The humor was well written and the characters well played but it kind of lacked the forwardness the first one had, the only thing that kept me going was to find out the ending and to find the hidden experiment which was mentioned in an achievement. The propulsion repulsion and convulsion gels seemed a bit too far in the sense of the game.
    Last of all was the co-op, i didn't play that ( and i might not at all) wasn't really needed and the Mann Co type store with it shows valve is just wanting to eat money.

I wouldn't really recommend this to a casual gamer, but only to someone who is a big valve or portal fan,
    and even then they might still be a bit disappointed.
  81. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is really great. The best single player I have played in years. The soo called dealbreaker DLC is just some stupid cosmetic stuff. Nothing that anyone needs to buy to enjoy the best game in long times! The humor, teh art direction and the music fit so perfectly together that it creates a really intense and enjoyable experience. And this game is not really 4 hours, more like 7...
  82. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve has done a great job, making a smash hit. Despite all of the users complaining (stupidly) about Day 1 DLC, the game is actually really good. The writing is the best I've seen in a long time. The story is engaging and the tie-ins from the ARGs were great. Both of the characters really grow on you. Thumbs up!
  83. Apr 19, 2011
    Excellent soundtrack, top notch voice work, challenging single player and coop campaign. The amount of polish that went into this product is staggering and should be seen as the gold standard that any developer should reach. Well worth playing by anyone who enjoys games and having their puzzle solving abilities tested.
  84. Apr 19, 2011
    Fantastic Game. The Credit song met the Standard set by "Still Alive" and the gameplay was as expected. Interesting Puzzles. I think that negative reviews based on things other than gameplay and story (which was hilarious) should be disregarded by any prospective buyer.
  85. Apr 19, 2011
    Valve have done a really good job with this game, they managed to capture the essence of the first game whilst also evolving it, the increased length is welcome to me as it adds more than enough to keep it fresh throughout, the puzzles at a glance I would forgive people for thinking are easier but in practice the change makes the puzzles more about thinking up the ways to overcome obstacles than seeing an easy puzzle and then spending the next few minutes trying to flawlessly execute the correct maneuver. The story also helps pad out the increased length of the game with enough twists and turns to keep the average player interested. whilst the trademark Portal humour kept me laughing throughout.

A great game that I would recommend to any fan of puzzle games, hell, i'd recommend it to anyone really.

I'd also like to make a note of this 'Day 1 DLC' that everyone is talking about, they're on about purely cosmetic items earnable simply by playing co-op that has absolutely no bearing on actual game play.
  86. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is excellent indeed, if you enjoyed the first Portal then you must enjoy this sequel, it has more thinking with portals and more features than ever before. However I took away a mark for this game, as I finished it without rushing in approximately 2 hours and 34 minutes playing time, this does not include the co-op part of the game or any possible advanced chambers, just the singleplayer. The co-op feature is excellent and will also take you several more hours of gameplay and fun. The graphics are beautiful, no need for them to be improved as they do the best job possible and the game performs perfectly on the PC thanks to the great source engine.

This is a must buy for most gamers out there.
  87. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 isn't just about portals. As a matter of fact, initial development excluded portals altogether. That says a lot about the true heart of this game. It's an action-adventure game disguised as a puzzle game, and it's story-driven game. Chell's story, Glados' story, and ultimately Aperture's. Portals are just means to tell and advance that story. The action, beautifully-paced and driven by a dark and ominous soundtrack, invokes memories of Half-Life 2. The writing and voice acting are superb, with plenty of comic relief to put a smile on your face. While it's not the revolution HL2 was, it's as every bit a masterpiece in game design. Players looking for hardcore dexterity-based puzzles may be disappointed. Those of us who enjoy all aspects of gaming will cherish Portal 2 as an instant classic. Expand
  88. Apr 19, 2011
    This game is "SIMPLY THE BEST, BETTER THAN ALL THE REST . . ." No but honestly this game is the best game I have bought in I don't know how long and I haven't even tried the co-op. I was laughing so hard through the entire SP. The game also offers a very entertaining storyline . . . it's so good I wish they would write a book about it . . . It may be that this is just my kind of game and I'm writing this review with a little bit of prejudice but in all honesty the puzzles arenâ Expand
  89. Apr 19, 2011
    A simply incredible game that builds on the game play, story, and style of the original. On release night it kept me up until 5 am on a work night, and all I can think about is when I can get back to it again.

There puzzles are well paced and varied enough to keep the game fresh in every test chamber, the humor is priceless and the background story that sneaks it's way in around the mid
    game is subtle but fascinating.

It's a shame that MetaCritic's User review section has been used as a hate platform, not just for Portal 2, but every good new game that's come out in the last few months. I have to wonder if they're even real reviews? Theres no way they played the same game I'm enjoying so much.
  90. Apr 19, 2011
    I haven't had this much fun playing a game in a long time. Beautiful, funny and clever. Not the longest game ever, but that's because we were spoiled with HL2.
  91. Apr 19, 2011
    Just finished the game and it is pretty awesome. It is exactly what i expect from something called portal 2; more of the familiar portal gameplay. Textures were a bit **** at times and loading screens are rampant, obvious signs of a console port, but nothing game breaking. The game has a 'hat store' just like TF2 and if this was not included then you wouldnt see nearly as many low user scores here. The fact thats most amusing is that all these cosmetic items are usually unlocked with achievements, you would only pay if you were too lazy to just play game. 4.5 hours of gameplay and another 3 hours of a separate co op campaign is pretty good for $45.
    This game does not deserve to be bashed the way is being bashed now, especially from people who haven't even played the game.
  92. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing game in every regard. I can't say i was looking forward to this, as i didn't think they'd be able to keep the charm Portal 1 had for a whole other game that was so much longer. However, they did it absolutely perfectly. I was smiling and enjoying myself for the whole experience.

Ignore all of the negative reviews. They are not about the game itself, they are just upset about "DLC"
    which are actually just micro-transactions. Everything available in the store is able to be unlocked ingame for free, not to mention the fact it is all cosmetic, so there is actually no need for it.

The singleplayer games length is perfect. It is 6 hours at the very minimum (most people i know took a lot longer to finish it than this). Sure i could repeat it and finish it in 3-4 hours, but thats what happens when you repeat a puzzle game... Regardless, 6 hours of unique, funny, interesting, challenging game play is well worth the cost. I'd prefer this over 30 hours of a drawn out, boring, repetitive game like nearly every other recent title i can think of, which is long for the sake of being long.

I highly recommend picking up this game, I fail to see how anyone could not enjoy this.
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    with all this love towards valve and everyone saying this is the best game ever i cant believe they aren't working extra hard to bring us half life 3........ oh wait. Sorry its just that people complained about L4D2 and now this and i mean i can see why they aren;t to thrilled to be releasing the game everyone wants when people just complain about it. Overall great game and if you complain about how short it is ... go make a friend or two and play co-op there is a world outside of your basement. Expand
  94. Apr 19, 2011
    The fact of the matter is people came into this game expecting way too much, and I get that. It is a Valve game after all. But the gaming community is being fickle and whiny (especially after the ARG stunt). Despite what these self entitles day one reviewing crybabys will have you believe, Portal 2 is a great game. There is just no way to justify giving it a 0 or a 3. Yes there is day one DLC, that is OPTIONAL. Yes you may have found the campaign short, but you're probably better at puzzle solving than most. Yes the visuals may not be Crysis material, but it's available multiplat and accessible to those who don't have beast PCs.
    I am unbelievably disappointed in the gaming community, and this backlash will surely have consequences. Valve was already a bashful giant of gaming and arguably one of the last great developers. I fear that this unwarranted backlash may cause them to be much more careful and lose some of their personality in the process. Read the rest of the 0-5 reviews and you will realize WHO exactly is giving the BS reviews. I beg you to reconsider listening to them before checking the game out yourself.
  95. Snp
    Apr 19, 2011
    Who cares about the DLC, the story line is good. no glitches, good fast game play, highly entertaining, a lot cheaper than spending 4 hours in a pub. and you get a lot more out of this. 4 hours of game play + the co-op modes. still lots more game play that people don't consider.
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    With a perfect game comes it's share of pathetic "fans", complaining about DLCs and butthurt about the ARG. Get this game. Now. Everyone. You too. Yeah. That's right.
  97. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is a good solid game with both great single player and co-op experience. It has a very good level design and strong story that builds on the previous game and develops in new directions. Just like the first game there are fantastic dialog that will stay with you for a long time.
  98. Apr 19, 2011
    We are /v/? Does "/v/" stand for stupid? A ton of people are going to buy this game no matter what you trolls get together to say. Maybe if you had worked out a plan that didn't include all giving a game with universal critical acclaim a zero simply because they are offering cosmetic DLC your efforts might have been more effective. A few 6s or 7s might have helped your cause.
  99. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 has everything you'd expect, and more. Specifying what "more" means is difficult to do without stepping on your enjoyment of the game, but let me put it simply - It's one of the most amazing experiences in gameplay and story. Ever. The humor is here, and there are surprising moments a plenty, and there's plenty of innovation in the gameplay mechanics. I'm not going to go on forever about how the core gameplay and whatnot is great, because the pre-launch hype covered it well enough with its teasers, etc.

However, I'd like to point out something very important: The claim of the game lasting four hours is FALSE. Your first run through should last you at least 6 hours, probably 7 or maybe 8 if you get stuck a couple of times and take your time exploring the scenes. And that's not counting the multiplayer. Oh, and don't forget how Valve are - as usual - very friendly to custom mappers, and once the SDK releases there surely will be lots of new custom content, if their past releases are anything to go by.

Some people have complained about the in-game store. This is completely ridiculous, as there is a simple way to fix it: Don't buy stuff! It's all cosmetic, and it's not like there's room to show off like in TF2, which further defeats the point of buying items at all. This means that, really, there should be no reason to be bothered by the store. In fact, you can choose to completely ignore it, thus there is no reason to include it in the overall evaluation of the game. Letting such a small problem ruin the game for you is foolish and childish.

One complaint I find very valid is the fact that the ARG helped very little in boosting the game's speed of launch. However, this has NOTHING to do with the quality of Portal 2 as a game.
  100. Apr 26, 2011
    Portal 2 is a fine game. But Valve seems to have worked on the Alternate Reality Game more than they did the actual game. It's still very short (only 6-7 hours on my first run) and very rarely did I get stuck for more than 5 minutes. Don't get me wrong, everything from gameplay to graphics has been polished to a fine shine, but that's where I start to get disappointed. It feels too familiar. Everything that happens you kind of expect to happen. No big surprises like the last game. The character wheatley feels...out of place and at times, annoying. Portal was largely an out of body experience, with a very light story on the side. With the bigger and better script, Portal 2 is lighter on the gameplay and heavier on the story. Shame. When you get to thinking about it, Portal was an accidental masterpiece, to they point where valve didn't even sell it as its own product for nearly a year. They tried replicating the experience, but ended up copying and pasting many major events of the originals story. Co-Op, so far, is a nice addition. The maps definitely have more challenge to them than the campaign and the robots are very charming to be with, almost to the point where you don't want to talk, just to see the mute bots do their job. My only major issue so far is the price point. Portal 2 is fun, but has no replay value and a very short length. It's simply not worth the price of admission. Collapse

1. Oct 20, 2011