8.8

1. Apr 21, 2011
    The reason there are so many negative reviews is probably because of the price of the game. Many people feel that given the short length of the game it should have been cheaper. Personally i think it's worth the price, it's as simple as that. If you think its worth it buy it but if u dont think its worth it then dont buy it. Expensive or not this is still a quality game which i can rank higher than $60 dollar games. Also this is not a $60 dollar game i dont know where people got that figure from. Someone had the nerve to say "Poor level design, the levels are broken" This is just someone who lacks the mental capacity to solve these puzzles. The game is fun, not once was i bored during single player and coop is a real laugh. Also dont believe people who say they completed it in 3 hours. I'm pretty sure thats impossible without cheats of some kind. If you can solve each puzzle right away (which is extremely difficult) the game will still take u at least 5 hours. Personally i think the length of the single player is 5-7 hours and coop 3-5 hours. Also all the moan about DLC which is basically a few gimmicky items u can equip ur coop character with is ridiculous. They are releasing a level design kit down the road so expect custom maps too. In the UK its £30 on Steam. I'd personally recommend it. Expand
  2. May 3, 2011
    This is an absolutely fantastic game. Sure, it's a tad short, but I still managed to easily get 8 hours out of the single player campaign. This game excels at many things, but two things really stood out for me: Level design and the characters' personalities. The gameplay is up-to-par with what we have come to expect from a Valve game. Overall, this game is a blast to play and you'll find yourself with a big smile on your face most of the time. Mustbuy! Expand
  3. Apr 21, 2011
    This was one of the best experience i have ever had, the ideal mix between storytelling and actual gameplay. Valve does an excellent job at dragging you in its games, i.e. Half-Life 2 etc. I Notice a lot of people complaining about the 'old' engine Valve uses, i don't see any problems with it, the graphics are ace and perfect for a game like portal in my opinion.

*like like*
  4. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best Games i ever played nice and hard levels . Nice ideas with the gel etc. and The best COOP game i ever played in my whole life. GOOD WORK VALVE .waiting for Portal 3^^
  5. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the game.
    I love all the small touches all around the game from the funny posters to the way the background music reacts to player actions and adds well to the atmosphere.
    I found the voice acting, the characters and their scripts to be entertaining, we're going to be quoting Cave Johnson for a long time.
    The puzzles designs were good and well thought out, hard enough to slow
    down the players as they work things out but not stop them, so a good pace can be set throughout the game.
    Haven't finished the co op yet but we are having a great time with it so far.
    Graphics are good and a good amount of time can be spent just looking around the levels appreciating the looks.
    I really did enjoy the story and the speed with which it develops, overall I reckon they chose a good length for the game to prevent it from getting stale, just as fun to do in one big sitting or several small sittings without losing your place.

The adverts and teaser clips they put out for this game really built up the hype for me, so I'm glad I wasn't disappointed, not to mention that little competition they had going in order to get the game released earlier was a fantastic idea as far as I was concerned.

Good job valve, now wheres half life 3?
  6. Apr 21, 2011
    Amazing game, best 40 euros spend on video games in a long time. The single player is simply amazing. People might argue about how short the game actually is, but if you like to explore and get the full portal 2 experience, the singleplayer alone might take you upto 8 hours, and then there is still the co-op to explore which is also a full campaign. Graphics are top and the story also ties in with the half life world! (Borealis hl2) Ofcourse people might be dissapointed if they followed the whole Potato ARG by valve and hoped that the game would release over the weekend, but giving this game a negative score is just overreacting. It's certainly one of the contestants for game of the year, and it doesnt deserve the bad scores like /v/ did earlier to dragon age 2. Expand
  7. Apr 21, 2011
    I think this game has too many haters for this type of game, It's original ( unless your counting portal one ) it has a great story line, and it's great for multi player. People say this games levels are very dull, but there original, and a challenge. Most people who play this game have had allot of fun playing it and I have to as I think it is very entertaining. And you could have a outstanding game like COD4 when it was out but yet that is not as fun as say Donkey Kong returns. Most games are known for graphics and what the online play is like. Well really games should be about how much fun you can get in them, how long you will be interested for, and how original they are. So that just proves this is a epic game that will and should be rated as one of the best there is. Expand
  8. Apr 21, 2011
    This was everything I wanted in a Portal sequel. The puzzles, characters, level design, and especially the humor, were all a step above what the first portal had achieved. Valve has outdone themselves yet again.
  9. Apr 21, 2011
    9/10 Great game, and well worth the wait.
    First off, everyone complaining that it isn't long enough needs to realize that people solve puzzles at different speeds. It seems like the average completion time for the single player is 5-7 hours and for co-op it is 2-3 hours. That makes the game about 7-10 hours long, which if you bought it for $40 for the 2 pack during pre-order, makes it
    well worth it. I can see why people who bought it for $50 might be kind of mad, but that is their problem for not splitting it with a friend. I'm also doing the dev commentary so that adds another chuck of play time.
    Regardless, the game is hilarious and looks beautiful. Didn't have any glitches or level design flaws so I don't know what other people are complaining about. The only thing that really makes me mad about the game is the dlc for co-op. All of those things should have come are rewards for achievements- not cost actual money. Really valve? Paying for gestures? I understand paying for new maps and campaigns, that makes perfect sense. But day 1 dlc makes me feel like it should be part of the game and that I'm getting ripped off. Plus only one other person at a time will see them so whats it matter anyway? This is why I'm docking off a point from a 10.
    Last thing is I miss the challenge maps, those add gameplay time and don't seem hard to make so I don't see why they weren't included. So I'm hoping this and REAL dlc gets added soon.
  10. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is incredible. Whatever you have read, you will not finish Portal 2 in under 6 Hours. I have finished Portal 1 in one and a half hours in my first play through and I needed 7 hours to finish Portal 2. Even if you are a genius there is still Co-Op which is at least as long as the single-player campaign.

Apart from that, Valve's Portal 2 is a great game which is not only
    extremely creative (which is rare in today's jungle of Battlefield and Call of Duty) but even for advanced Portal players, it is in later stages challenging. It is one of those games that comes along only few times in many years. It is funny, makes you think (which again, is very rare in today's games) and did I mention that I had the most fun in years playing Co-Op? It is just hilarious if someone messes up and you die.

Game of the Decade if you ask me.
  11. Apr 21, 2011
    This Game is perfect! Please don't let these haters steer you away from this gem of a game. Take you time is the various tests and rooms. There are plenty of clues and hidden areas to keep one busy for quite some time. So don't blow thru it like some people who are trying to look for hints for HL:EP3. If it comes great if not, so what. Portal 2 stands alone as a great game, and needs to be respected as such. Expand
  12. Apr 21, 2011
    The game is beautiful. People need to quit whineing so much. I played through it and noticed none of the little things people are bashing this about. Glados is funnier, sharper and everything is a lot more complete feeling tham Portal 1. Truly brilliant
  13. Apr 21, 2011
    PORTAL 2 IS THE BEST GAME IN THE HISTORY OF GAMES!!!!

The graphics and storyline are totally ground breaking and humorous. This is the first game I have ever played that actually lived up to the hype. The potatoe sack game collection was pure genius even offering early release of portal2 for collecting potatoes in each of the potatoe sack collection, brilliant!!! The coop is more fun
    than Ive ever had in any other game and the puzzles are awesome... I gasp with worry and anticipation everytime I enter a new level.

The store... well I feel that offering swag such as tshirt is cool. However, nickle and dimeing for ingame content is a bit pan-hand-lish and should be removed. I mean your asking people that shelled out about $50 for the game to pay more for intangibles that should be included in the experience. Fix that and your perfect. 99.9 out of 100, get rid of the nickle and dimeing and you can have the 100.
  14. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the best game I've played in 2011, and even with such titles as L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and The Last Guardian coming out later this year, I have no doubt that Portal 2 will be a strong contender for game of the year.

I was never much a fan of the original Portal. I thought it was well-made, but due to ridiculous amounts of hype (and, more likely than not, the
    fact that I'd seen the ending before I played the game) it never stood out to me. Its sequel has changed that. Portal 2 is nothing short of brilliant. It is absolutely perfect from start to finish, and my only complaint is that, at some point, it had to end.

That being said, Portal 2 has, the best ending of any game I've ever played. If you thought that the first game ended fantastically, or even if you didn't, Portal 2's ending will leave you in a confused state of amusement, shock, awe, and even a little bit of sadness at the knowledge that you will never be able to recreate such an amazing experience.

It's important to note, as well, that the negative reviews on Metacritic are largely from people who are upset about the in-game DLC store and do not reflect at all on the overall quality of the game.

I can not stress this enough: play Portal 2. Because it's far more than a game - it's a paragon of what every developer should strive for.
  15. Apr 21, 2011
    This is an amazing game. When I heard all these other reviewers complaining, I got scared that my pre-order went to waste. And boy, it didn't. This game is one of the best I've played in a while. The level design keeps you stumped at specific points due to puzzles that are actually difficult, not like lots of puzzle games where the difficulty in the puzzle is due to bad communication between the programmer and player. The dialogue, characters, and story is hilarious. There were points where I had to pause the game in order to control my laughter. I'd give this a ten, but there are large amounts of loading times which get annoying quickly. Overall, this game is outstanding. It's met ALL of my expectations for it. Expand
  16. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did an amazing job with this game as they always do. I honestly can't understand the many low rated "reviews" here. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered and it was 100% worth it. The Source engine was once more improved and the game looks really good in my opinion. The storyline develops great and there are lots of twists that make the story exciting. The characters are awesome and the synchronisation is great in English and German. Especially the robot Wheatley is absolutely adorable. In the end, the story finished way better than Portal 1 did, although the Credits song (again by Jonathan Coulton) wasn't as good as the first one. Expand
  17. Apr 21, 2011
    First off, if you're going to complain about how you don't have enough money to spend on video games yet you still spend on video games, grow up and learn to be responsible with your spendings. It's not our fault you live in your parents' basement. Secondly, this game is beautiful. Skins are great, images are sharper and cleaner. Game play is smooth and the puzzles are interesting. I was worried about co-op but it's fantastic. Game play isn't as short as many people claim, you can get a good few hours out of it and that and more out of co-op. Also, there's the option to play again and try and find alternate ways to solve the levels. For the fanboys complaining about price, look at the price of all video games these days. Your $50 isn't going to pay for all the **** the developers had to do and the man hours put in to creating this game, learn to economy. As much as you claim you're never going to buy another Valve game, you are. The game is best enjoyed if you take your time to appreciate it. You're ruining it for yourself if you try and race through. Love the dialogue and the character development. The expansion of things you can do with the portals is great and promises for more hours of game time. I strongly recommend this game and encourage you to ignore the butthurt players nitpicking over the littlest things

Also: Sidenote, claiming the game is great and awesome, you just don't want to pay that much for it so you're going to buy it used and deny Valve from gaining anything ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU. If everyone decided to do that, you would be forced to return to crap games because they wouldn't have the money to make nice pretty new ones. You had months to save up those pennies to buy a copy.
  18. Apr 21, 2011
    The whole experience of Portal 2 was unbelievable, and was gripping from the very start. There was also a huge difference in scale when put aside Portal: The rooms and areas are gigantic, there's a much more engaging story and generally, the game is much larger. Apart from this, the graphics are beautiful; unlike the white, sterile feel of the first, this features lush vegetation growing in the labs, other natural elements, and creates a very interesting environment. Even better, it has mod support, so I'm keen to see what is created from it. Of course, the game is short, and there isn't much to go back for. However, it is unbelievably difficult to write something that keeps the audience as engaged and mind-blown as I was throughout the whole thing, especially given that there's only one path to take, and it has to feel natural for the gamer. I also think the length of the game is small for a reason, I'll put it this way: No one wants to watch a 20 hour long film... Also, I wouldn't listen to most of these negative comments, especially the ones which complain about the unlockable items from the store. These really shouldn't bother you, it's your choice whether to purchase them or not, since they have no effect on the gameplay whatsoever. Expand
  19. Apr 21, 2011
    Another absolute triumph in almost every aspect by Valve, with a truly engrossing story and atmosphere that carves an extraordinary cinematic experience for the player, still fitting neatly into the cosmology of Half Life. The game introduces a multitude of new game play elements and mechanics to harness alongside most concepts of the first game. players will see the return of the benevolent and comical GLaDOS amongst an array of new and wonderfully voiced characters. Content is also provided in a healthy sum as once the single player campaign is completed, players can move on to the equally as lengthy and outstanding cooperative campaign. Portal 2 Vehemently pulls itself ahead of the crowd and will please newcomers to the franchise along with fans of the Brilliant and innovative first game a like, it is an exceptional game to say the least and will provide endless hours of fun. Expand
  20. Apr 21, 2011
    It's really rare that a video game actually ever made me laugh. The humor you usually find in video games is either really lame or horrible slap-stick stuff. Portal 2 however has a very own style of comedy that works just perfectly with the game. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant and all the hidden little gems that you can find throughout the game are just flat out brilliant.
    The art
    style is just as unique and beautiful. You can definitely see that the HL-2 engine is starting to get really old though. The constant loading screens and really low-poly level design break the immersion a little but don't take away from your enjoyment at all.
    I had a blast playing through this both solo and coop. And can recommend it to everyone.
  21. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely love this game. Portal was a great little game that was polished to a shine making it the dark horse of the orange box, so of course expectations were high for this one. Personally I think they were met with flying colors. The game play is fun and, at least for me, sufficiently difficult. The story was exciting and the voice acting was absolutely stellar. But let me address some of the complaints that have been dished out:
    1) Short Game play: Nay-sayers had the same issue with Portal on this one. They are relatively short games, at least if you are speed running them. However they are the perfect length for what they are. They don't overstay their welcome and have a ton of filler to pad it up to a 20 hour game, unlike many that are out on the market. Personally I would prefer a 5 hour game (albeit the first go at single player took me 10 hours) that is high in quality than 50 hours of game play that is generally filler and overall unmemorable.
    2) ARG complaints: Really guys, really? I thought that this was brilliant marketing on valves part, sure it would have been nice to release Portal 2 more than a few hours earlier, but now I have a bunch of cool games that I would probably have passed by before, and they were a steal. Plus, it's not as if Valve forced you to spend your hard earned money on the potato sack. If you did then it is on you. But no matter what the quarrels may be they shouldn't be the sole reason for marking down Portal 2, it s a great game and if your one issue is the ARG, and you gave the game a bad review, grow up.
    3) Low end graphics: Why do we need better graphics in this game? I can't think of a single instance where I thought, "You know what, if the texture on that wall was slightly more realistic, this game would be amazing". I thought it was beautifully designed game and there is no need for a graphical upgrade for the sole purpose of slowing down my computer even more.
    4) Paying for cosmetic DLC: I am sorry, did someone tie you down and force you to buy a little top hat for one of the co-op robots? If the answer is no, then you have no right to complain. It is not important to game play, Valve has done this with TF2 and no one is forcing this stuff on you, you only have to buy it if you want. For TLDR's: Portal 2 is a great game, if you want a polished, fun and memorable experience, you will love this game. Ignore the nay-sayers, and enjoy yourself!
  22. Apr 21, 2011
    Stunningly brilliant game, absolutely obliterates the original. Not sure why people say it's short.. the length is perfect and it took a good 7 hours or so to beat. Those that are speed running the game must be bots because I don't know how you can enjoy this game and finish it that quickly.. so I call BS.

The co-op is just as much fun. I finished it with my buddy last night and we're
    both at around 14 hours played now. Game of the year no doubt! Expand
  23. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is definitely worth the money. The story feels fresh and fun. This isn't portal 1.5 this is a true sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. Between the co-op and the single player you're going to get somewhere between 10 to 16 hours of some of the best crafted levels in gaming history. A lot of people complain about the cash shop. At first glance I thought it was perhaps a bit of a crock, but since then I've learned that most of the items can be unlocked (already earned 2 myself). It's all just cosmetic stuff anyway. Looking forward to the years of support and free levels this game will receive from Valve. Expand
  24. Apr 21, 2011
    A stunning experience. Ingeniously planned and beautifully crafted, Portal 2 captivated me from the first minute. Even though the difficulty is only slightly above average in general, I sometimes scratched my head in puzzlement because I overlooked the easier and more obvious solutions for some levels. The voice acting is superb, the hidden easter eggs worth looking for and he storyline stringent and refreshing.

This is a 10/10 game in my book. BUT since Valve decided to become a complete money-whore with A) the ridiculous potato-sack ARG , B) the price tag of 50 **** Euros and most of all C) the shameless introduction of the absolutely retarded In-Game-Shop (I should pay for skins and animations? Are you **** kidding me Valve?), I will have to deduct at least 1 point, because only one of those points actually relates to the game itself, the other two just make me angry *wrrrrrrrr*

Nine points then.
  25. Apr 21, 2011
    Great characters, creative narrative, and excellent gameplay. What more could you want? I've been waiting for this game ever since I saw the first 15 minutes of gameplay, and was NOT disappointed.
  26. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did it again. They have showed the world how incredible great they can produce Story, game play, Graphics and feeling. But we all knew this already. Valve always makes great games. But i cant believe that im impressed this fu**** hard AGAIN. Everything thing fits together here. Story, characters, humor, feeling, atmosphere. This Game was awesome and I can just recommend it to everyone out there, Portal 2 is a game you shouldn't miss. Expand
  27. 2tm
    Apr 21, 2011
    I was very impressed with Portal 2, pretty much all of the quips I had with the original game were fixed. The only thing I didn't like about Portal 2 is that the portals have their outlines visible through walls and I had to set a command line parameter to turn that off.
  28. Apr 21, 2011
    Without a doubt in my mind does this game live up to the sequel. It's out right hilarious, the puzzles are genuinely fun to work on, the story is great, the graphics are fantastic, the sound is perfectly placed, and I was literally smiling the entire way through the game (except a few puzzles that had me stumped for a bit ;) ). Anyone reading the user reviews should see that most of the negative ones are for silly, stupid reasons that aren't based on the actual game. THE GAME is fantastic, and that is what a review should be on. Enjoy ^_^ Expand
  29. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 built his foundation on the original game and it's perfectly right to be doing so. It remain loyal to the original while aiming in new directions. The story took a big leap, the atmosphere took a big leap, etc. The main problem that I have with the game is that it also built itself too likely to the original on one aspect. Portal was a proof of concept. It was short and just showed the capacities of the concept. Before I go on, let me point out I've only played single player. Portal 2 on the other hand, keeps those foundations and this valid concept and expands it adding new features like the gel, the plates and such. The downside is that these features feel like they weren't fully explored. It still feels like a lot of these could have offered more from the start. This also brings the fact that the game feels short. I won't blame them too much for this since making it longer would have caused some down times on the story affecting it's perfect pacing.

On and on, it just feels that at launch, Portal 2 offers use but a tease of what all these new features together could bring to the franchise. Knowing Valve, they'll probably release free expansions after a few months. Still, very good game and it's impressive the amount of content packed in those 5-6 hours it might get you to complete. Definitely a must buy
  30. Apr 21, 2011
    This very well could be a contender for the best Valve game ever made and that's quite the compliment considering Valve's excellent track record. Portal 2 surpasses it's fantastic predecessor in every way possible, better story and characters, better level design, better puzzles, and better visuals. Valve did a great job with the dialogue and humor in this game also, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much at a video game. The PC version is basically flawless, it plays silky smooth at maxed out settings on my PC and it looks great. I'm also glad to see that there's plenty of video and control options to mess around with in the PC version. With so many games nowadays shipping with bare bones PC support, Valve continues to demonstrate the correct way to handle PC support.

This honestly would have been the perfect game if it was just a bit longer, I beat the single player campaign in around 8 hours. Sure, 8 hours is the average length for a FPS nowadays but this game is so much fun that you can't help but want to spend more time with it.

One last complaint would be the expensive DLC. There's a store where you can purchase little aesthetic add-ons for your co-op bots but there's really no reason a single hat should cost $3. That being said, I have no doubts that Valve will eventually give us ways to get the DLC for free. They've been very generous in the past with free DLC for games like TF2 and L4D, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with Portal 2 for now.

But I still think this game deserves a 10/10 even considering it's very few flaws because Valve does so much right it would be an injustice not to give them the highest praise possible. More developers should put this amount of love into their products, the video game industry would be much better off!
  31. Apr 21, 2011
    I was afraid. The original Portal was incredible not only because of its innovative gameplay and GLaDOS's wit but because of the way it completely blindsided me with a truck full of awesome that I never saw coming. We knew there were portals, but what we didn't expect was the personality. Even the CREDITS were amazing.

But with the opportunity to surprise replaced with the burden of
    expectation, how on earth could a sequel even hope to match this experience?

Leave it to Valve Software. What was lost in freshness was made up for tenfold with superb characters, hilarious writing, and the most incredible dynamic environments ever seen in a video game. The environments... My God... If the Source engine still looks this good and can be this flexible six years after its introduction, everyone in charge of developing it should get a Nobel Prize.

I don't think there is another development house in existence that could have pulled it off. All hail Valve, Portal 2 is awesome, go get it.
  32. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 definitely is the best game of the year. I don't agree on it being the best game ever made nor being better than Half-Life series, but it surely is a must have.
    The graphics powered by Source Engine 2, although they aren't as great as some of the nowadays games, have an extraordinary physics capability: The fluids seems to be real.
    It's not a childish, not a quick game: Took me
    7 hours to complete it, and it remembered me sometimes Half-Life.
    The console port can not be as the PC, but for the PC version, the game is a perfect ten: Sound, Graphics Physics and Engine, Gameplay, Controls, Controller Support, Compatibility, everything is great.
  33. Apr 21, 2011
    The people complaining about this game were probably too dumb to figure out the first Wheatly puzzle. Portal 2 is a superb game, utterly charming and hilarious. It beautifully expands on the story in the first game and gives you the history of Aperture Science and the origins of GlaDOS while taking you on a fantastic journey. Portal games are unique in all of gamedom and are wonderful unless you are a bitter troll who can't think with portals. Expand
  34. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is incredible. If you played the original Portal - and enjoyed every minute of it, wanted more and was excited when the sequal was announced. This game is for you. Without spoiling the experience for you, all I can say is Portal 2 will not leave you hanging - the story ties up nicely. Plus the world, and the levels are incredibly detailed. This is the game you have been waiting for.
  35. Apr 21, 2011
    This was a great game, and if you took the buy 2 deal steam had going on, it only cost you 40 bucks split between friends. Now it only took me 12 hours total to complete the coop and single player campaign, but i enjoyed every second of it. The humor was supered, the coop made for excellent game play between me and my friend. I do fault valve for the pointless store, and the exorbitant amount of money little trinkets on your robots cost.They should've follow the tf2 model, and had there be random drops for completing levels or something akin to that, along with the store. The coop campaign is far too short for that crap to really matter anyways. Hopefully they add more levels to it, because as it is now, i probably wont play the game again for a long while. Collapse
  36. Apr 21, 2011
    BEST game I've ever played!
    And the thing that adds a lot more to the fun, is the fact that its not over!
    Why not? Because the Portal 2 SDK will release soon, means a lot of people will make maps!
    For Single player or Co op! THE END NEVER ENDS :)
  37. Apr 21, 2011
    All that was great about Portal with new puzzlements to mix it up, and an awesome co-op mode. Delves deeper into the background of Aperture Science while exploring a much larger portion of the facility. I meant to only play half an hour before going to bed on the night it was released, but instead ended up playing a few hours into the middle of the night. Single player took about 6 hours to complete, and I am now replaying with developer commentary. Expand
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    I've been playing video games for a long time. They used to have this amazing spark for me, something that went off inside. First game that ever did this for me: The Legend of Zelda. But, nowadays, not only do I know how games work, being an Indie Game Developer and all, but people so often cannot capture that same feeling I used to get from the Zelda franchise (which also might explain why I love Puzzle games so much). But, I just played Portal 2, and I felt that same spark I did so many years ago. It was almost nostalgic for me, but at the same time so new as well. It was absolutely like no game I have ever played, save for the original Portal, of course. But it was also so much better than the original as well. Actually, as soon as I had beaten Portal, I knew that if they ever released a sequel, that I would buy it, without a doubt. I would do the same if they ever released a Portal 3 as well. To start off, I'll tell you about the Multiplayer. It's mostly a really good experience, but only if you play it with a friend, and not a stranger. You play as two robots, Atlas, a shorter bot who's body looks like that of one of GLaDOS' cores, and P-body who's favors one of the turrets. Each player has their own set of Portals. Red and Orange, Blue (or purple, to me) and Light-blue. I only have a couple of gripes about it. One is that sometimes, I really don't want to do a gesture (gestures can be performed at anytime throughout co-op and some involve both players), and it can get vaguely annoying when my team-mate continuously performs them and I get forced into high-fives and such. But, that usually isn't too much of a problem. Throughout Co-operative play GLaDOS guides you once more, constantly noting on how horrible (and fat) humans are, among other well written and flavorful bits of dialogue. The puzzles themselves are quite nice, and get progressively more difficult, but never too difficult. Something that is even better in Co-op than in Single Player is the "AH-ha!" moment. (This is the moment of sudden realization when you've been working on a puzzle for a while) The reason this moment is heightened in multiplayer is that you get to experience it with a friend, and that's when the gestures are really the most fun to perform, in the excitement of having solved a puzzle. Also, my only other thing I didn't like about Co-op is that it was so terribly short. Only about 2-4 hours of game-play. I understand Valve's reasoning behind this, just testing the waters to see how Co-op would go over with the fans. I, personally say that, if Valve makes a Portal 3, Co-op campaign should definitely be just as long as Single Player. I'd like to point out at this time, if it wasn't apparent already, that Multiplayer Campaign and Single Player Campaign are totally separate in their story. Now, I'll carry on with the review of the Single Player.

Ah, Single Player. Truly the most amazing thing I've ever seen developed by Valve (And they've put out some pretty amazing games) and possibly one of the most amazing games I've ever seen. One the most amazing puzzle games I've ever played. First, you start off in your "suspension" room and are awakened for your "exercise" which consists of you looking up and down. Then, in an unspecified amount of time in the future, what seems to be many, many years later, you're awakened by the bot created to attend the humans in suspension, Wheatley. You're in a decrepit old Aperture that's obviously been out of commission for a long time. You make your way through the first few old test chambers from the original Portal. Your friendly - yet slightly moronic - companion leads you on up to GLaDOS' lair, in which a very terrible mishap transpires. As you traverse through the game, all of the characters are well written and unique, the puzzles intriguing, innovative, and fresh. The characters all have their own quirks that keep the game comedic to the perfect amount. The game doesn't drag things out or leave them too shortly. It builds upon ideas it puts in your head earlier on in the game to build on the puzzle solving aspects, and the story always keeps you wanting more. There are several jaw-dropping plot twists as well. All in all, one of the best games I have EVER played, and I suggest it to anybody who enjoys video games and good, well written comedy.

As a final note, I'd like to say that, even though the game was longer than the original, and I'm thankful for that, I still wish it had been just a little bit longer. And, that I think there should be a Portal 3, without a doubt. The only reason I put a 9 and not a 10 is because of the length of the game.
  39. Apr 21, 2011
    A fantastic game. While neither are particularly long, the co-op campaign is about 5 hours long and the single-player campaign is longer than that. The puzzles are nicely varied and suitably difficult, and the story is surprisingly rich and twisting.
  40. Apr 21, 2011
    exellent game, worth its price at 37,99 euro, its alot longer than portal 1, it has more story , including a funny multiplayer coop mode! that extens the single player story, with the past game updates by valve, portal 2 might well get more levels, and more fun later down the road!

with SteamPlay you also get the PC & MAC Version, if you buy it for PS3 you also get SteamPlay

valve also
    allows you to backup the game, something not every developer allows for :) Expand
  41. Apr 21, 2011
    Between its impeccable polish, incredible voice acting and ability to entertain throughout there is very little to like. I mean honestly, if outstanding production values, clever puzzles, and innovative puzzles are all a game can offer, why bother. Seriously, everything about this game screams failure to launch. Yeah, you guessed it, I hate quality products, in fact the only thing I hate more is when a company lives up to the hype that they create around a video game that is second to none. So in conclusion I hate this game, and if the aforementioned things are things that you actually like, then go a head by all means buy it, otherwise avoid it like the plague.

As an aside, i bought the potato pack, played the ARG and loved every friggin second of it. Don't believe anyone who says all the die hard guys are mad, cause I couldn't be more pleased with valve and their ode to gamers.
  42. Apr 21, 2011
    I would use one word to describe this game: professional. It is hard to come by a complete "package" these days when you look at the games out there. Valve has made a game that is not only fun, it is fun in the sense that the whole game actually feels finished and complete. By that I mean there were no bugs I noticed, the graphics settings I did not need to adjust (even though I looked at the options since I have been trained to do this by other games), the whole game just felt finished and polished and it was really a complete game. On top of that there is the great story, great characters, the amazing graphics and entertaining puzzles. The industry really needs to take a look at Valve's example and put out games that are actually complete and as well thought out as Portal 2.

I don't even feel like the DLC hats detract from the game. Since I don't think that those types of micro-transactions are going to go away, Valve does a good job with them by making them unimportant cosmetic additions instead of taking actual chunks of gameplay out like some other companies. When I reflect on Portal 2, I can't help but think that the industry would be so much better off if it followed Valve's philosophy in game development. I suggest you go out and play it, see for yourself what all the buzz is really about.
  43. Apr 21, 2011
    I can't believe people are rating this game down because of the dlc. It adds no content to the game except for person aesthetics in multiplayer. Portal 2 was a phenomenal game. It made the first one, which was also phenomenal, average by comparison. If you are unhappy with the dlc, don't buy it. Your game won't change one bit.
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    This is the perfect game. With good story and (for me) best than every byte of Half-Life. And those who gives low notes, stop. The only thing that make me so happy is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. A perfect 10.0.

10.0
  45. Apr 21, 2011
    I think Valve hit the nail again. This is a sheer unique and innovate title that does it all. It's funny, smart and the voices by Merchant (Wheatley), and Mcclain (Glados) compounds to the brilliance of Portal 2. Also, the storyline is well written and definitely hooks you to the game. As for the length, I'd say you are probably looking at about 8-10 hours of campaign, and then 5-6 hours of Co-op. Don't look at the negative reviews, this is a must buy title. One of the best games this generation without a doubt. Expand
  46. Apr 21, 2011
    Just normal work I would expect from Valve, A great storyline with great length of 9-10 hours If you don't speed-run the game, or beat it in one day (It took me 2 days to beat it, Roughly 5 hours each of those days) and actually don't know what to do the first time around, after beating this game, I feel like I need to play through it again to find everything I missed, and have a bit more fun with the 3 gels you can use in the game, I think It was well worth its $50 and can't wait until a other Valve game comes out, because I will most likely play Valve's next game, after seeing some real work instead of a action game for once, Well, I hope you enjoyed my review on Portal 2, I actually Liked this, and suggest that you buy more of Valve's work, go on Steam and spend some money on their great games, I sure made a great choice by Pre-Ordering Portal 2 instead of some other game. P.S. If you don't want the game spoiled, Buy it before some dumb-ass can! Expand
  47. Apr 21, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The first portal was an amazing experience and the second game does not disappoint. From the first levels ripped right out of the first game to show you how the enrichment center has changed to firing a portal to the freaking moon this game kept me entertained and interested the whole way through. The learning curve is also much improved, introducing concepts more organically and at a perfect pace. Expand
  48. Apr 21, 2011
    The story - "Valve-styled". It made me play all evening and, after that , all night long...
    Graphics - one of the strongest sides of this game. I'm still affected by these maps with VERY HUGE spaces. I'VE NEVER SEEN anything like this before!!!! It is still mis-understandable how can these maps load in ~10 seconds?! I'm also puzzled how can these maps fit into my notebook video card's
    memory which is only 256-mb, high-detailed?!
    Defects: 1. Game often shuted down. But I suppose that is a bug of my non-legal copy.
    2. The first 10-15 testchambers are really boring! But I understand that they are created of some unique idiots who will buy the second Portal without playing the first one! But as for me, it is really annoying!
    This game EXCEEDED ALL IMAGINABLE EXPECTATIONS!!!!
    Well, there are many small defects in this game, so I'd better rate "9", but this game really affected me... Then the only mark I can give is "10"!
    P.S.:Yes, I'm definitely buying official copy...
  49. Apr 21, 2011
    After seeing all the negative reviews from whiny PC gamers, I felt obligated to give my perfect 10 to such a deserving game. Beautiful environments, clever level design, hilarious writing, and amazing gameplay mechanics make Portal 2 an obvious nominee for game of the year. I couldn't have enjoyed this game more and I'm upset to hear others rag on it for such terrible reasons. No one forced you to buy the Potato Sack, there's easily over 10 hours of gameplay, and the "evidence" that this game was ported from consoles is rubbish. Buy this game and you'll never regret it. Expand
  50. Apr 21, 2011
    Great game; loved the single player story and am just starting multiplayer. As usual, another great game from Valve. I would have given it a 10 if the single player were a bit longer, but I'm not really sure how long the game could go on for without getting repetitive, or introducing too many elements. Perhaps it could be a little cheaper (like $30 maybe) to compensate for this. But this is a review of how good of a game this is, not if it's pricing is appropriate. Overall, another great game from Valve. P.S. I don't see what the big deal is about there being hats available on the first day to purchase - I could see what people were complaining about if it was extra levels or something (though I still wouldn't agree), but it's purely cosmetic - you can still play the entire game without even noticing a difference without a hat. As another aside, it doesn't feel at all like a console port - no idea what people are talking about in reference to that. Expand
  51. Apr 21, 2011
    I was originally mad at all these 0 reviews, before I got deeply into Portal 2. Now I'm just furious. Because the more the game progresses the better it is in my eyes. It's a masterpiece. Anyone who says it's not better than the first is wrong, anyone who says it's a bad game is wrong. Anyone who says it's too short, clearly needs to take it easy and actually listen to dialogue.
  52. Apr 21, 2011
    Most immersive best experience you will ever have playing a game.Im speaking for all crowds. Great Co-op, single player mode is hilarious, intuitive and solid. Recommended for everyone! Everyone likes cake right??

P.S. Trollers be trollin. DO NOT listen to the negative reviews of this game. If there is any exception of dismissing bad reviews for a game, now is the best time. If you dont
    want the DLC dont **** buy it. Does it really matter if this is mixed with the console port? Its still the same great game. 0 doesnt count as a legit review just because you decided you wanted to buy the potato sack (which was optional). Quit whining and enjoy what could be the best game of the year. Expand
  53. Apr 21, 2011
    This is possibly the best game I've ever played in my entire life. It looks, feels, and has the framerate of a movie. Admittedly, it is easier than Portal, but the environments, humor, and story make the entire experience simply incredible.
  54. Apr 25, 2011
    Refreshingly fun, after all of the sub par games released this year, I was so entertained by this game I'll probably buy it for a few friends. On a side note, the characters were vibrant, entertaining, funny, and the ending was the best of any game I've ever played.
  55. Apr 22, 2011
    If you didn't like Portal then this game isn't for you, but if you did then this you should definitely get this game. The gameplay is a lot like the first, but the difficulty of the later puzzles, is far greater that any in the first. While the first game was great, it felt short, and left you wanting more, and this game doesn't. The story is actually there, and offers many things up to debate, although hopefully those questions will be answered when episode 3 comes out (cause it is totally going to come out right Gabe....). This game stayed true to the original while offering a lot of new content. This game also gives us more insight on GlaDOS, and well I don't want to spoil anything, but I can say that I feel a lot better about her now. I cannot stress enough though that this game is a true sequel to the first, it knows what it is, and it doesn't try and change that, and for fans that is great, but again if you did not like the first, you probably won't like this one, and if you do you probably don't want to risk spending 50 dollars on it. I thought it was worth it, but I loved the first. Expand
  56. Apr 22, 2011
    Absolutely sublime. I went into it looking to find flaws. I do with every game I play. I could not find one thing that wasn't just amazingly fun. Every puzzle in every room is crafted to be just the right difficulty, and it has some genuine moments of pure adrenaline rushing. Not to mention the perfect writing. This could very well be one of the greatest games I have ever played, and I have played a lot. Expand
  57. Apr 22, 2011
    Long story short: Portal 1 was great - Portal 2 is different, but also great. Great sense of humour, nice environment and the story is also good, if you watch and listen. I bought the game with my brother and we got 20% off - that's fair. Thumbs up for the steam platform - that's the future, get used to it! Also the DLC was a good idea and PLEASE guys, if you like playing computer games, don't whine about it - the business is hard and there are way too many dev companies dying... Expand
  58. Apr 22, 2011
    I think the users more critical than the critics. This game simple awesome. Funy, enjoyable, require some logic (if you play the firs time) but for me that's the best for in this game (not just "go over there and kill 10 marine"). This game get a lot of voite in here (over 1000 ...how many games have that many like this so fast after the release date?) and this is that game what win aganinst the CS:S and HL2 (The most waited and most played FPS game ever in Steam). Expand
  59. Apr 22, 2011
    All I can say is WOW! Brilliant GFX, best voice overs ever in a game, highly immersive, fantastically paced. Again VALVE did a great job with a game that hardly has any faults. I love it and give it 10/10.

For all you guys who don't like the DLC: DON'T BUY IT! It's that easy.
  60. Apr 22, 2011
    The higher critic rating than user rating shows that critics on the whole aren't given to immature knee-jerk reactions and childish rants. Portal 2 is probably the best video game so far for a number of reasons: Concept. First you have to think of the idea. Portal is based on a brilliant concept. Execution. There are probably a thousand brilliant ideas for every one that gets rendered in a form that does it justice. Portal 2 takes the concept of the original and treats like a first draft, expanding, developing and exploring the concept into an immersive, funny, trippy and fun game, which is essentially non-violent (not a moral necessity, but a refreshing point of difference).

Production values. Tie it all together with vertigo inducing art and first class voice acting and you have a game that is the early 21st century's '2001: a space odyssey'. A mind expanding experience that somewhere transcends the medium to comment on the invasiveness of technology and 24/7 monitoring of society through close circuit cameras. Sure that may not have been the intention, but all good art reflects something of its time and Portal 2 gets it bang on.

Conclusion. Got a non-gamer friend with whom you would like to share the joys of gaming? Portal 2 will rip their socks off. And that's why it really is the best game so far.
  61. Apr 22, 2011
    Firstly, i like would like to point out, no one has to buy the dlc if they do not wish to. Secondly, in many ways, charging players for dlc that does not effect the way you play a game at all, is better than charging for a new map pack or say some new weapons. The people who choose not to purchase cosmetic items do not actually lose out on any aspect of the game play, it is merely an option for those who wish to do so.

Onto the review...

I gave this a 10/10 not because i believe it to be a flawless title, in all honesty if i were being completely accurate i would give it an 8 or a 9, though probably the latter. The reason I am giving it a 10/10 is because i believe the grounds on which some people (all 200 and something) are giving it ridiculously low scores are unfair and biased against the game, and not taking it for what it is, and i would like to try and raise the overall score to something more accurate, something that new players will look at and go, wow, i should play this game.

This is because I believe EVERYONE, should play this game, it takes what was essentially a fantastic experiment, and turns it into what is one of the best gaming titles ever released, it is a humorous, empowering, visual spectacle that is most importantly fun.

As has been stated by many people, critics and fans alike, Valve have succeeded in making more believable and lovable (as well as hate-able) characters than most other modern games on the market, and they succeeded in doing this with robots. Wheatley is downright hilarious (as are the turrets) and GlaDos is as chilling as ever, though things step up a notch when everything turns on its head and this game provided me some of the more memorable moments i have had related to gaming (a certain bird related incident) The other new characters are similarly engaging.

Visually this game is a tremendous success, i find it staggering that the source engine was able to achieve in this game, the visual fidelity and dynamic-ness is unbelievable, especially on such an old engine. I cannot think of a single game in which the environment feels more alive (and you have to remember that the majority of the game takes place in underground sterile test chambers) this game cannot be compared to something like crysis but it is still beautiful.

The map design is top-notch, the portal gun is as fun and empowering as ever, the new gameplay elements are excellent, and each test once solved still leaves you with a tremendous sense of success.

Good work Valve, just waiting on Half Life 2 Episode 3 now!
  62. Apr 22, 2011
    Another piece of brilliance from valve, the interactions between the player, Glados and Wheatley are fantastically written (and let us not forget Cave Johnson) and the puzzles are always challenging without being punishing. Don't listen to the naysayers regarding the length, it's perfectly paced without any unnecessary filler and by the end you'll wish it never ended.
  63. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is brilliant. The length is perfect. Any longer and it would start to get boring. The story drives the game and has some good plot twists. The voice acting is top notch and the characters pull off some very funny lines. Portal 2 improves every aspect from portal 1 and is a must buy.
  64. Apr 22, 2011
    Amazing soundtrack & Ambience tracks. Amazing and really personal gameplay. Amazing co-op mode with it's own campaign. Did i already say this game is amazing? Definetely Valves best game at the moment! Oh and a few words about the store. The items are all only cosmetic and, and in no way affect the gameplay. They're also 100% Optional. I'd understand all the whining about them if they were maps, or weapons..

And about the lenght of the game.. Singleplayer took me about 7 ½ hours with no breaks, multiplayer about 5. Steam said it only took me 6 to do both, so it's obviously not working. Oh, back on topic. This game is AMAZING and i feel like every penny that i paid for this was worth it!

A M A Z I N G.
  65. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a terrific game and a great example of how to do a sequel right.

Just finished the game last night, clocked in at roughly 10 hours of gameplay. That's shorter than I'd like, but it seems to be about average for a game these days. And I haven't even touched the co-op yet... So I'm thinking I got my money's worth.

Of course the gameplay is based on puzzles, and the amount of
    time it takes you to finish will vary quite a bit depending on how quickly you solve those puzzles. I found the puzzles to be rather easy for the first half of the game... Didn't really get stumped until I wound up in the old laboratories playing with the various gels. So it's entirely possible you'll get more (or less) gameplay out of it.

The puzzle difficulty was pretty much spot-on for me. Far less of the twitchy puzzles that required lighting reflexes and good aim to drop a portal right where you needed it while sailing through the air. Less puzzles that required quick thinking under tight time constraints. More puzzles that allowed you to examine a situation and figure out the best solution on your own timetable. The puzzles were generally challenging. Generally required some thought. But weren't so frustrating that I wanted to rip my hair out. And, once they'd been solved, the solutions always made perfect sense.

The graphics are a terrific improvement over the first game. Not just in pure graphic quality, but in the way they're used. The upper reaches of Aperture Laboratories take on a personality of their own... The shifting panels become an extension of GLaDOS, and convey her emotions as you work your way through the test chambers. The contrast between the decaying test chambers in the beginning, then the well-maintained test chambers, then the abandoned chambers below, and finally the malfunctioning chambers at the end... It conveys a real sense of character. As if the facility itself is another character in the game. You can feel how Aperture Science has changed and grown over the years.

Of course you've got your ASHPD, and the portals it creates. And they still work the way you'd expect them to. But Portal 2 adds a few new twists to the old formula...

You've got "aerial faith plates" which act as catapults and launch you across the room... A new kind of block that allows you to re-direct the thermal discouragement beams... Repulsion gel, that works kind of like flubber and causes you to bounce high into the air... Propulsion gel speeds you up as you run across it... Conversion gel turns any surface into a portal-able surface... Excursion funnels, which act as a tunnel or conveyor belt... Light bridges, that do exactly what it says on the tin...

And all of these new toys are combined with your portals, to create some truly mind-bending puzzles and solutions.

Along the way you'll learn more about GLaDOS, and Aperture Science... You'll meet Wheatley, and hear from Cave Johnson himself. You get a peek behind the curtain, and get a good look at just what makes all these test chambers work the way they do. And, of course, you get insulted at just about every step of the way. The same dark humor that made the original Portal so much fun is back again.

There was an ARG that led up to the release of Portal 2... Some folks are counting that against Portal 2 in their reviews... I think that's a little silly. Give it a few months or years and nobody is even going to remember there was an ARG at all. What'll linger - what we paid good money for - is the Portal 2 game itself.

There is a cash DLC store in Portal 2, and it was there on launch day. In other games this might have annoyed me... If I pay $60 for a new game, I expect pretty much everything to be there on the disc. I don't want to go home and find out there's another mission or quest available if I spend another $5 here or $10 there. However, the DLC is all purely cosmetic stuff - hats and skins and gestures for the co-op. None of it actually adds to or changes the gameplay. So I'm not too worried about the DLC this time around.

All things considered, Portal 2 is at least as good as the original - if not better. Definitely an entertaining way to waste a few hours. Certainly worth the money I paid for it.
  66. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal was one of the best games I ever played. Portal 2 isn't soo innovative but it's longer than the first and have some new things and a fun coop mode. It's expensive but his price will be going down with the time and steam will make offer (games with the same price when it get into the market actually price is 10-15â
  67. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game! Single player mode is so amazing; very interesting plot, it's fun and... just so excellent! Co-op mode is also very fun and great. This is one of the best games ever.
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    Its sad to know that probably that the game of the year already came out. Portal 2 is simply so far ahead in terms of originality, game design, story writing, characterization and level design than almost every other videogame out there that I am starting to think that it might be not worth my times to play games that are not made by Valve.
  69. Apr 22, 2011
    Personally I loved the game. The story was amusing and it twisted in enough ways to keep me interested, the campaign mode took me roughly 7 hours to beat. That time was because I like to explore everything and listen to all the dialogue which was amusing to say the least. The puzzles were all very fun and a few were even pretty hard (I played a lot of the first portal and as a result I am used to "thinking with portals"). During all such fun the game was packed with as much if not more humor than the first game offered, humor which I got a big kick out of and is very family friendly still. Last thing I must say is that I really don't like hearing people complain about the dlc. The dlc in no way alters game play, if you feel cheated because you can't put on your favorite hat without paying for it, then you may be better suited to play a game like The Sims. No I don't think it is necessary for valve to do any sort of dlc, they make enough money. But it doesn't change my game, and my time in portal 2 was outstanding so thank you valve for an another amazing title. Expand
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    The hype surrounding Portal 2 has been large with the Augmented reality game that Valve launched receiving mixed reviews. However Portal 2 does not disappoint.

I am hailing Portal 2 as an almost perfect game. Lets cover the one tiny bad part about this game in my view...lack of replayability and even that is grasping at straws to find what is wrong with this great game.
    There has also
    been controversy surrounding the "Robot Enrichment" mode in which you can buy skins for your multiplayer co op robots to distinguish yourself even further away from others. Yes it costs to get these items but you unlock some items during play and if you wish to make yourself very different from most people online you should have to expect to pay a premium.

The story of Portal 2 is very solid very reminiscent of the first while expanding upon the narrative and not getting stale. Throughout the game you do visit different parts of Aperture Science that were constructed during different eras from the 1950's onwards until the modern test chambers that GLaDOS herself put you through. This offers a very pleasing aesthetic with the game mixing things up and keeping things fresh.

The voice acting is solid with many new characters introduced to superb effect which further enriches the comedy that the game delivers with great timing and with great effect.

You will be surprised in which directions the story goes. Without giving too much away you shouldn't be disappointed in the least. Naturally I have to give it a fair score and thus I have giving it a 9 because although it is very close to being perfect, itâ
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    Best game i've ever played. Play till the end. It's sad that i'll never ever play a game as good. Other than that i have not much to say. It's beautiful :')
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2: Valve has spent a long time preparing us for this amazing sequel. The game scope and size has increased approximately ten-fold. After completing the single-player, and multi-player game modes, this has to be one of my favorite games. With a more powerful computer this game runs flawlessly, and has amazing resolution.

The voice acting by Stephen Merchant, J.K. Simmons, and Ellen
    McLain is amazing. Some comments said actually made me stop and laugh pretty hard. The basic intro level is one of the craziest things that I have seen in a video game, all I can say is I hope to see more from the portal franchise.

After completing it, I only had two spots on the single player, where I had difficulty in figuring out the puzzle, and I required assistance as I could not figure it out. Checked out a quick solution in the in-game Steam browser and it was quick work.

Overall I loved this game, and recommended it to my friends. Hope they will add more multi-player modes in the future as it was and is a good team experience.
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game...for me but only 1 problem... d3d device failed( amm ATI Radeon HD 5450) card and game is not run....bug or whatever but i finished the SP mod and the story is very very good 11/10 i wait the Portal 3 ^^ Expand
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    Don't know what all the hate is about. Just completed both single player and co-op and it's the best bit of gaming I have had this year. I think people are so used to games like COD or WOW (games that give you almost never ending game time) that they slate anything that doesn't give them unlimited game time. This game was amazingly well written, had a great atmosphere and kept me interested through out. Bring on portal 3! (half life episode 3 first though ;) ) Expand
  75. Apr 22, 2011
    This is the best game for 2011. Quite delicious storyline, twists and turns, scrumptious easter eggs. And to finish it all off, a highly climatic ending with a brilliant finish.
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    A disproportional number of the user reviews have been negative for this game, and to be honest I don't see why. By far it is the best sequel I have ever played, you look at games like Halo and all they have done is copy the original plot and game mechanics to the letter. Where as with Portal 2 they have added new features, a new plot, better graphics and a bit of a new look. Unfortunately I couldn't find any references to "the cake" except one on the, "GLaDOS Emergency Shutdown and Cake Dispensary".

The plot it's self makes a nice parody of repetitive sequels by making it seem like it is going to end the same way as portal and then throwing another 2/3 of the game right at you. That said it still kinda dose copy portal 1's end, but not without some honest portal goodness and a truly epic boss fight ending. Some people have said that the game is too short, and they are slightly right about that - despite the fact I was praying for it to end soon, as midnight approached and I was due an early morning wake up (Why on earth would valve release such an major game on a week day?). I finished the game in one 7 hour session, with ample time to be stuck on some of the more confusing ones. And as I played it did kind of feel like there was so much more they wanted to do but were either too packed for time or money to do it. However the game is so packed with secret areas that I never bothered to explore and wonderful imagery that I never marvelled at because of the fore-mentioned time restrictions. So I think if you took the time to enjoy the game to its fullest it would take a good bit longer to finish and be far more entertaining.

Portal 2 did go for a bit of an unfortunate revamp with it's styles, changing the cubes so they now have lights on them, the portal gun so it now has a gravity gun effect when you pick up things, GLaDOS now looks more evil and the whole outside of the test chambers is no longer stationary. I say its unfortunate only because the cubes were a vary iconic symbol of portal and, despite the fact that the change is small, is still noticeable and hard to get used to. On top of this they add in lasers (thermal discouragement beams), light bridges, 3 types of gel and a weird moving beam that I can't remember the name of. each making the game more varied and far more interesting.

On to the matter of the missing cake. I'm not sure if it was because Valve thought the meme had moved on or if they were making a critique on tasteless repetition , either way they have certainly toned down the cake-y-ness for the sequel. Instead they have put in a far less yummy snack into POrTAl TwO, and were honestly trying to hard to iconise it.

Onto the co-op. Honestly the best multi player experience I have ever played, valve obviously knows what they are doing here, they have added in several useful mechanics to help the players communicate what they plan to do. If you have ever played army of two and noticed how all the mechanics were good ideas but didn't really work because you didn't want your partner to know what to do because then you could run ahead and get all the cash for a nice gold plating on your stinger. Well it's like that except there is no reward for finishing first, or dieing least, or placing less portals. the only thing close is "science collaboration points" which have no real relation to skill, on one level my friend killed me by accident, so GLaDOS awarded him 25 of them for teaching me the value of trust, this inspired him to try it again when he had 4 removed as I am not a human so do not need reminding. So they are more like Easter eggs than goals. It has to be said that the end to the multi player is a huge anti-climax, where it looks to be something sinister, and is in fact, but then ends far too early for any major development.

On the whole I would say this is probably the best game I have played in my life, I'm not sure if it follows enough on portal's original spirit, but with all of it's well balanced features and awesome, but short, co-op mode I can over look that. I would probably give this game a 9 because I believe that 10 is reserved for games that have no flaws at all, but I also feel that some of you have been reviewing it very unfairly so 10 it is.
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is possibly the best game I have ever played. The writing and voice acting is top notch and I laughed out loud at some points and was genuinely scared at others.
    The single player gameplay is brilliant and although the game isn't the longest I had to scratch my head for up to 20 minutes with some puzzles.
    The co-op gameplay is very original and the puzzles can get very hard but
    the ping tool makes it much easier to communicate where "here" and "there" is although it's certainly best to play with a friend as you need good communication regardless.
    Looking forward to the DLCs, Valve!
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    A much grander game than the first, Portal 2 is filled with new content, characters, and twists. All well withholding Valve's high standards of quality.
    I am Spider-man, and I approve of this game.
  79. Apr 22, 2011
    Compare to the original Portal, Portal 2 is everything a fan could ask for. More of the witty charm that made the first so enjoyable, much more content, and multiplayer co-op mode! Single player campaign averages between 6 and 8 hours to complete. Co-op averages about 5 hours. This game was very enjoyable and I highly recommend it.
  80. ftl
    Apr 22, 2011
    I loved Portal 1, and Portal 2 was quite a good game and a worthy sequel. The puzzles were great - as good as the ones in Portal 1, and possibly better. The environments The humor was good, with GLaDOS and Wheatley and Cave Johnson. That said, I personally didn't end up loving the game like I loved Portal 1; it may be impossible to recapture the "new mechanic, new game" magic with a sequel, and the plot especially felt very sequel-ish. I'd still recommend this game to everyone though. Expand
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game. Alot of interesting new things, both to the story, as well af the gameplay. Everything was better. Very good and satisfying ending. Co-op is awesome, too. Longer as the first one aswell. Loved it.
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    The first game was awesome, this one is more than awesome, is almost perfect.Like all Valve' s single player games, Portal 2 has a great history and amazing and charismatics characters.The graphics are very good for a 7 years old engine like Source, but the textures are not so great for a 2011 game, the characters voices are amazing, and like the first game, Portal 2 has a good and funny ending music, once again made by Jonathan Coulton.The single player experience is a little bit short, something about six hours to finish, but the game has a coop experience, that makes the game even more funny and longer.Probably the best game of this year. Expand
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    The quality of the first game is expanded upon in Portal 2, the game's length is much longer yet it keeps the good pacing and dark humour of its first outing, alongside the equally lengthy Co-op campaign, Portal 2 is well worth the time.

The expansion of the GLaDOS character really brings Portal 2 above the first game, providing another vehicle for the series' trademark humour.

The
    puzzles have been rethought for this entry, shifting the focus more towards cognitive reasoning than simple reflexes, meaning that once a player has discovered the solution to a puzzle, the solving of it relies less on having to aim portals quickly and precisely.

It might be assumed that this detracts from the difficulty but by adding new gameplay mechanics in the form of the Repulsion, Acceleration and Moonrock Gels, these add a new layer of complexity to the puzzles.

Returning players will find the early puzzles to be easy as they simply re-imagined versions of the first few puzzles in Portal. They will also be familiar with the gameplay mechanics of the series, and will likely find this game simpler than new players, this is unsurprising however. The new mechanics are introduced later in the game, at this point all players will be roughly equal in experience anyway, in this way the game counters any sense of the game being "Too easy" for returning players.

The ending, which I shall not spoil, is a fitting end to the game's interactions between GLaDOS and the player.

I have no complaints about the game, especially given the lower than usual price point for the game.
  84. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was an amazing ride from start to finish! the level design is pure genius and the voice acting is VALVe's best yet! The plot really never got old or stale witch i thought would be a problem given the gameplay. Gameplay is very well balanced from the most simple of tests to the complex. the Portal team at valve are very good teachers yet keep thing fun and engaging and it shows in this game. overall one of the best VALVe games yet! (except for Half-Life 2 of course lol) Expand
  85. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the most interesting and challenging games ever made. Portal 2 ups the ante from its massively successive predecessor by significantly increasing the games lenght and adding a bunch of brand new features such as light bridges and aerial faith plates. Portal 2 is hilarious from the start. The dialogues are clever and witty and the voice actors are perfect in their roles. The games art direction was really nice and some part had a slight half life feel to it. Also a series of wall drawings of events from before and during the events of the first game really created a unique ambiance. The graphics are nothing to brag about. They are clean and functional without any drops in frames, but are not mind blowing by any means. The game's 9 chapters took me about 10 hours to complete and I was enjoying every second of it. The levers near the end are very challenging and creative. Add to that the co op campaign and you've got another 10 hours of fun, hopefully with a friend. In co op you take the role of either Atlas or P Body, two cute and funny robots. All in all this was another amazing game from the guys over at Valve ( and imo their best ) I give this game an 10.0 ! Expand
  86. Apr 22, 2011
    Everything you liked on Portal 1... multiplied with 10...
    if you liked portal you will love portal 2
    if you can't find fun in the gameplay of portal, you won't find any in portal 2...
  87. Apr 23, 2011
    For all the people saying this is the best game ever made, it may be a bit early to make that assumption. But I have to say Portal 2 is one of the best games I have ever played. For those of you stating that Portal 2 is it better than Mass Effect 2, Half Life games, Team Fortress, Bioshock, Oblivion (Whatever the hell you find is your favorite game) you are not understanding that everyone is going to have a different opinion and favorite game style but once again I have to say Portal 2 is worth your respect even if you do not like puzzle games like this; the story and design of the game are so well done it is not worth the negative reviews it is receiving by some people trying to make a point. For me its in my Top 10 favorite games of all time and it deserves a high score. Expand
  88. Apr 22, 2011
    There is nothing wrong with this game. At least, nothing worth getting in such a fit that you need to go on the internet and complain about it. Nothing.
  89. Apr 22, 2011
    Once again, I am blown away by what Valve has accomplished. I never thought a video game could make me feel the way I did the first time I'd played Half-Life, but I was wrong. The first Portal was short and simple, a "beta" if you will for a new style of gameplay. Following the success of The Orange Box, (which included Portal, Team Fortress, and many other games,) Valve began working on a full blown sequel to the mind bending first person puzzle shooter that changed the way we played video games.

Now, admittedly, I was a bit skeptical and and slightly apathetic when I first heard about the announcement of Portal 2. Although I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, I was unsure of how Valve would be able to create a sequel with the same old mechanics from the first Portal. Honestly, I was expecting identical puzzles from the first time around, and not much of a story line. But I could not have been more wrong.

The first thing that gamers will notice about Portal 2 is it's incredible graphics. Valve has blown us away with its newest version of the magnificent Source engine once again. Sitting in my computer chair, I swear i could feel the butterflies in my stomach as I was being swung around by a crane in my dilapidated hotel room. The colors are brilliant, the textures are shinier and smoother than ever, the lighting and shadowing effects are amazing (and at one point, very eerie,) making Portal 2 instant eye candy right from the very first moments of gameplay.

Now, although I was taken aback by the beauty of the game, I was expecting top notch graphics from a developer such as Valve. What I was not expecting, however, was the incredibly compelling story line. Portal 2 features a narrative that could give Half-Life a run for its money. With mystery, action, suspense, and tons of hilarious, Monty Python-esque comedy, the only people that will not be fully entertained by Portal 2 are the people that havent played it... yet.

Gameplay is not the only thing that makes Portal 2 an instant classic. Valve has made history by integrating Steam onto consoles. Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with Steam, here is a brief explanation. Steam is basically an online library which all of your video games are salved. Whereas back in the old days, when purchasing a game for pc, you would have to type in a serial key which would limit the game to being played only on the computer you installed it on, now you register you game with Steam, and you can now log into your account from any computer and play your games. Still with me? So now, Steam has reached out to consoles. What does that mean? For one, when I buy my PS3 version of Portal 2, I can also install it on my PC and my Mac and no additional charge, after of course registering my game with my Steam account. Also, I can save my game progress on Steam, so that I can start on my PS3, continue on my PC, and finish off the game on my Mac. Now, ready for the best part? Portal 2 is (I believe) the only online console game to be played on Steam servers as opposed to company specific networks, (such as XBOXLive for XBOX and PSN for Playstation.) What does that mean? Cross-server multiplayer. So now, PC, Mac, PS3, and XBOX owners who are friends can all play together, which is truly an innovation in the gaming industry.

Ever since Half-Life in 1998, Valve has delivered top notch games that would redefine gaming time and time again, while also changing the way we bought and maintained video games. Now, over a decade after its first release, Valve is still leading the path in the Video game industry, creating intelligent, exciting, high quality entertainment, and delivering them in a cheaper, easier way to gamers. Valve is proof, that quality is much better than quantity, and a little less profit for them does not mean watering down the product being sold. In my opinion, all developers, publishers, and entertainers of all forms should take a note or two on how Valve does business. Portal 2 - 10/10
  90. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is the greatest game I have ever played. Portal was perfect: characters, puzzles, length - everything .. Portal 2 is 95% perfect but it lasts 3 or 4 times longer, and that's without the co-op. Yes, it's not quite as dark, but it can't be if it supplies you with a full story arc, which it does in spades. I appreciate that certain people won't like it, but an 8.0 score is a travesty of justice. This game is literally the best game that I've ever played. Imagine: a game where you don't pick the difficulty level, because there's no baddies and the game is all about the puzzles -- and such a game can be already the most anticipated game of 2011 -- WITHOUT BADDIES!! -- this is a paradigm shift in games (hopefully), and even if not, it is surely the finest effort of 2011. Also, the first 10 minutes were seriously out of a Douglas Adams book - Eddie the shipboard computer, anyone? Expand
  91. Apr 22, 2011
    Not to sound too obvious here, but I think Valve improved on this game in almost every single area but two. The game is longer (though just by a bit), There are more physics elements to play with, The black humor is pretty funny, and most importantly, the character development is great. They really made GLaDOS come alive during her time as a [______], and her subsequent few minutes post-Wheatley. I thought the boss battle had a quirky, creative ending which made good use of chekhov's gun, and that the opera was a great touch. Now for the negatives:
    Unfortunately, Co-op seems to be too easy and too short. They could use more elaborate maps for co-op. Also, the credit reel song just isn't up to par with the original's song which we all know and love.
  92. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 was incredible. I joined Steam purely for Portal in the first place but the sequel completely blows that out of the water. There's many new and clever puzzles, the dialog is absolutely hilarious while still telling a good story, and the game it several times longer than the original. Single player took me around 8 hours because I took my time admiring the environments which are for the most part extremely well made. If you don't take the time to examine everything you miss much of what Portal 2 has to offer. Co-op only took a good friend and I about 3 hours or so to beat. It's about as long as single player, if not a bit longer, we just make a great co-op team and never got stuck for long. And that's not to say co-op is easier. It's actually far more difficult in my opinion. This is easily my new favorite game by Valve. Expand
  93. Apr 22, 2011
    This is a spectacular game with a well thought-out storyline, witty characters and laugh-out-loud humor. Co-op has been a creative and successful addition to the game. This is the game of the century, and is easily better than any game of the Dragon Age or Halo series, which is awfully ironic, considering my username. A must-have game and valuable addition to the gaming world.
  94. Apr 22, 2011
    One of the best games I have played in a while. We got what we expected from the game: fun levels, mind-warping puzzles, excellent humor and a game slightly longer than most AAA FPS titles. What I did not expect was the breathtaking locations. Yes, you are only inside rooms, but Valve has done a great job making those rooms something special to behold. I did also not expect such an emotional story. Co-op is also a great addition, and it works perfectly. A great contender for my personal Game of the Year. Expand
  95. Axe
    Apr 22, 2011
    Just mind-blowingly amazing! Valve builds up the game with a foolproof skill curve for the first half of the game to prepare you for the quite challenging second half. The dialogue is pure genius and very very funny all the way through - the best I've ever seen in any form of entertainment/visual media. Story is well laid out, soundtrack + sounds syncing with your actions is always a thrill, gameplay elements are very varied and a lot of fun (also gets very complicated when you throw in a lot of them together).

Graphics, textures, animations, level design, environment and all the little details are over-the-top fabulous. Co-op is challenging also, adding a lot to the replay value of the game. Best game I've ever played in a long, long time. It will twist your brain and make you feel dumb at times.
  96. eoq
    Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best game I've played... by far. I could not find anything to criticize. Sure there are loading screens after every challenge but they are never longer than 10 seconds and are almost welcomed after what your brain had to go through. The story is great and the characters are unforgettable. It took me 7 hours to finish the single player campaign and I would have gladly paid 40 buck for less. Then there's the co-op. My god is the co-op entertaining. It's the most fun I've had playing a co-op campaign. I always get my games when they're on sale on Steam. I've gotten; Bioshock for $5, both Left 4 Deads for $10 and GTA 4 and it's episodes for $10 just to name a few games I've bought. I got Portal 2 for $40 and I think it was well spent money, more so that those other games. I will forever remember this game as the game that raised my expectations so high that new games will forever disappoint. The Cadillac of video games. Expand
  97. Apr 23, 2011
    Valve just can't fail. Awesome gameplay, atmosphere, humor... It makes the first one boring. I bet the arrival of excellents mods. Coop not tested yet, but the concept promises a lot of fun. I don't understand the negative reviews, even if i'm a fanboy of Valve work. They even promoted the independant games in a marketing operation for Portal 2 release (The Potato Sack) and that must be applauded. Future DLCs ? Free. Valve never made a PC gamer pay for content (other than decoration). Too bad for consoles.

This game is a delicious and moist cake, but it's certainly not a lie.
  98. Apr 23, 2011
    When a friend told me to go look at some of the reviews for Portal 2 on Metacritic i was gob smacked to what i saw. How could a game so beautifully created and so amazingly put together have so many negative user reviews? The voice acting is amazing, The graphics are amazing! The thing i love most about Portal 2 is how they have improved on the story, with Portal 1 i found it slightly repetitive but Portal 2 just had me itching to play more, Its 11pm and i'm saying to myself " Ok one more door. " then look at the clock and its 4am ! Co-op is just as amazing! I recommend this game to anybody and i would defiantly throw this game a nomination for game of year! Great job valve! Expand
  99. Apr 23, 2011
    It seems people that played Portal 1, were better at the puzzles. So well, that they finish the single player part in about 8 hours. I wasn't that good at it though; i needed about 14 hours.

They are upset, that it's too short; but the single player part really is three times longer than portal 1. And the polish; the writing. It's such a richer game than it's predecessor.

That's the
    thing. The reason a lot of people give such a high score, is because it's all quality. It never turns into grinding. They've made and iterated the puzzles so many times; they could have easily created a 60+ hour game, full of crappy maps and crappy dialog. They think it's too expensive. Well, games, in certain areas are. Boycotting isn't a dumb way to do something about it. But why don't we start with the console games and the vendors that use Securom and pretty much destroy your windows installation.

Valve is a weird target to suddenly start boycotting games based on the average price point. Within months they'll be having a strong discount. So, yes, it's cheaper before release, it's cheapers months after release. I honestly think the way Steam (and by extension Valve) plays with price points; is exactly the right way. As to people basing their extremely low score on the ARG. That's the not the game you are rating here. Tha'ts not a game you payed for. And honestly, it's quite misleading and a bit pathetic to then suddenly give out a 1. I honestly hope Valve gives these games their money back. They can't ever buy a Valve game then though. Heh. Some of these complainers are still online playing portal co-op right now.
  100. Apr 23, 2011
    I loved this game. The price you pay is worth the single player alone. And the coop is amazing! You even get free store content for completing the game! I also love how valve have made DLC that is not required to enjoy the game to its fullest. Unlike most shooters or RPGS or basically any other game that's come out recently with DLC, where you need to pay to access all character/weapons/levels this game allows you to get all of the best of this game which is the mechanics and dialogue, and you can also customize your experience if you are into that sorta thing. It's terrible the 0 review scores people are giving this game just because they have to pay for customization. For. Shame. Expand
  101. Apr 21, 2011