8.8

1. Apr 20, 2011
    Wonderful story, beautiful dialog, stunning gameplay. It all adds up to be a perfect game, because of one small small detail.

The store. Unless valve have big plans for new Co-Op maps and features the shop serves little purpose. However as with TF2 (to start with) the cosmetic addons serve no purpose than making you look stupid. This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only

The store.

This game is one of my all time favourites, and it only game out yesterday! I'm in love. Will be playing many more times. I would give the game 98% or a 10/10
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    Simply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaintsSimply put, this game is excellent and exactly what was promised. The original Portal made us think about our games in a new way. This game doesn't aim to do the same, but to build on this framework and bring it up to the next level. The Portal universe has been expanded and refined to create a much longer and richly storied world than its predecessor. There are a lot of complaints being lobbed (like you might a potato!) at Valve and most of them are just plain unreasonable and unjustified.

The game is very well paced and seems similar in length to any other FPS style game. As of writing this I'm about 4 hours in and I would be shocked if everything gets wrapped up in the next 30 minutes to an hour of playtime. Anyone finishing it in 4 hours is truly not paying any attention to the absolutely stunning world the game takes place in. There are countless hidden areas to find and the care and love that went into building this expanded universe is obvious.

The pre-launch campaign was brilliant and funny (and completely optional). Many of complaining that they wasted their time and money to only expedite the launch by a few hours. The full retail value of the Potato Sack on Steam was nearly $200 and you were able to buy it for less than a quarter of that. I already own several of the games but I jumped on that deal solely for what it was: a great deal for a bunch of great games. Not to mention you are supporting small and indie developers with your purchase. As for the time wasted playing the games to speed up the launch: We were helping to reboot Glados, did you honestly expect her to keep her word entirely? [This is probably one of the best and most widely executed April Fool's jokes I've seen and I loved it]

Day 1 DLC - Is entirely cosmetic for co-op mode. Again, if you don't want it then don't buy it. Valve is simply supplying a subset of their customer base with things they love... Hats! I don't see how people can be angry about this, how is it any different than buying hats for Team Fortress 2?

Who cares if this is a console port? I'm running the game on max settings. It looks gorgeous and plays like a dream. If it is a console port then every other company that tries to port to a PC needs to talk to Valve and figure out how to do it this well.

The bottom line is that this is an amazing next step in the evolution of the Portal universe. The game play is smart, the world is beautiful, the dialogue is funny and amazingly voiced. I won't go so far as to say this is the best game ever, but it is a great game. Valve as always delivers an incredibly well polished game that meets or exceeds expectations on every level. I strongly urge you to pick up this title. Enjoy the scenery, the dialogue and the experience. You won't be disappointed.
  3. Apr 20, 2011
    Very solid game. All of what you expect from Portal specifically and Valve in general is there. Only weak parts for me was a particular chapter toward the middle-end of game involving the founder of Aperature Science. But that "weakness" was minor mostly a taste issue. My breakdown:

Graphics: Source is aging exceptionally well, no weakness here. Gameplay: Riffs around the same theme from the original Portal. This is a good thing
    Plot/dialog: Best in class.
    Time to play single player: For me (I grind, don't rush, explore every nook and cranny): 8+ hours
    Time for co-op: TBD, havent done it yet, plan to this week-end
  4. Apr 20, 2011
    It seems that nearly all of the reviews that rate Portal 2 a 0-3 quote that the game only lasts 4 hours. This is an inaccurate report, these reviewers must be trolls and these reviews should be removed from Metacritic's Portal 2 review sight.
  5. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is amazing. Great story, great humour, fantastic visuals (even more so considering the age of the Source engine) and all in all, pretty much perfect. My only problem was the number of loading screens. I would've preferred loading to happen in the lifts with amusing commentary to keep me company, but whatever.

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores

Now, on to those so called issues people are giving the game low scores for: - Day 1 DLC? So what? It's totally non-essential and A BIT OF FUN in what is a LIGHT HEARTED COMEDY game. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Don't complain. Idiot. - Short game? Took me around 7 - 8 hours. I didn't treat it as a race so I could brag to people how much of a geek I am. I took in all the lines of dialogue and did some exploration. Only about 3 of the puzzles really challenged me, but they were mostly down to me overcomplicating things in my head. - The ARG/Potatosack/early release really have NOTHING to do with the game. If all that was a problem for you, take it up with Valve.

BUY THIS GAME.
  6. Apr 20, 2011
    I felt the need to make an account to say that despite what all the crazies say, this game is phenomenal. I haven't made it all the way through yet and it's already worth the 60 bucks I shelled out for it. The game is beautiful, the story intriguing, and the writing is leaps and bounds better than in the original. It's a game far better than I had imagined, and the expectations were high.I felt the need to make an account to say that despite what all the crazies say, this game is phenomenal. I haven't made it all the way through yet and it's already worth the 60 bucks I shelled out for it. The game is beautiful, the story intriguing, and the writing is leaps and bounds better than in the original. It's a game far better than I had imagined, and the expectations were high. High five, Portal 2. Expand
  7. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is an excellent sequel to the already excellent original version. Even though the start was kind of confusing at first, I quickly rolled into the story and got dragged along with it in all its amazing plot-twists and hilarious dialogues. I finished the single-player mode and I have yet to play co-op but I can already say it is truly amazing.
  8. Apr 20, 2011
    First of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a greatFirst of all I would like to make it clear to those who aren't sure, yes you do HAVE to play Portal before Portal 2! it continues the story and further explores the unique universe introduced in the first game, if you skip it not only do you deny yourself the full dramatic effect of Portal 2, but also COMPLETELY ruin the first game and it's amazing plot twists. Portal 1 is amazing, a great introduction to portal mechanics, very short, very cheap and lots of people on Steam have gift copies anyway â Expand
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is, unlike what many say, a fantastic game. Maybe its sort. Nah. This game is 12-20 hours long if you count the coop. I completed games just as quickly and more costly. Plus for the game it is and the storyline its perfect. The only way they could make the game longer is way more test chambers. Then it would be repetitive and not as good. Then the difficulty is also all right.This game is, unlike what many say, a fantastic game. Maybe its sort. Nah. This game is 12-20 hours long if you count the coop. I completed games just as quickly and more costly. Plus for the game it is and the storyline its perfect. The only way they could make the game longer is way more test chambers. Then it would be repetitive and not as good. Then the difficulty is also all right. Not too hard not too easy. Players of the first Portal will find most of it easy but im sure VALVe will do something for us there. Coop is also very nice. There isn't a single chamber that you can solve alone. Maybe only one has to place Portals sometimes but your partner will need to do something else to clear a chamber. About the Store I have no problems with it. It doesn't affect game play after all. Plus im sure that is not the DLC VALVe was talking about. Im sure we will get more test chambers (especially for players of first Portal that taught that Portal 2 was easy) in the future for free. And don't forget we are still waiting for the SDK to make our own maps. The story is just comical and awesome. Plus a few plot twists here and there. I however give this 9/10 since they just had to give us TF2 Hats to ruin the art style... Expand
  10. Apr 20, 2011
    This is a great game with hilarious dialog. The DLC is all of non game changing value. It's simply cosmetic and there's absolutely no reason to get upset over it.

I enjoyed every second of play I had with this game and will continue to enjoy it as I did the original Portal.
  11. Apr 20, 2011
    I'd like to start out by saying that I signed up on this website just to do this. Anyone who can rate the game anything not in the green zone must have a brain tumor, I signed up on this site specifically to write this review. This game is a game worth fighting for, and for the 40$ that I paid for it (Pre-Purchased, two pack) It was way worth the money. They could've milked me for twiceI'd like to start out by saying that I signed up on this website just to do this. Anyone who can rate the game anything not in the green zone must have a brain tumor, I signed up on this site specifically to write this review. This game is a game worth fighting for, and for the 40$ that I paid for it (Pre-Purchased, two pack) It was way worth the money. They could've milked me for twice that because the game was way worth it. If you are looking for a fun, exciting, challenging and amazing game then Portal 2 is right down your alley. Expand
  12. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. I was a huge fan of the original Portal and have played through the campaign at least ten times through. I just finished the single-player story today and I could not be happier. The atmosphere and environments are wonderfully done, and will run well on plenty of machines (the game's engine is wonderfullyPortal 2 is one of the best gaming experiences I've had in quite some time. I was a huge fan of the original Portal and have played through the campaign at least ten times through. I just finished the single-player story today and I could not be happier. The atmosphere and environments are wonderfully done, and will run well on plenty of machines (the game's engine is wonderfully optimized). The new voice work by Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons, plus the return of Ellen McLaine as GLaDOS, is absolutely astounding and the dialogue is hilarious and entertaining. The story is full of unexpected (and quite enjoyable) twists and turns. Even if you have seen the end videos, you'll be completely thrown by the progression of the story at times. The promise of more thought-based puzzles and less "ninja-portal placement" is delivered for sure. And while I enjoyed it thoroughly, some people may miss the old "ninja portal" puzzles.

Co-op is wonderfully done as well. The ping tool is a marvelous tool that has infinite use, even when playing with microphone. The gesture system is fun and intuitive and hard not to play with. The story isn't as strong in co-op, but lots of funny dialogue remains. But this being coop, more focus is expected on the teamwork, and it's not to say story is neglected, just much less emphasized. That being said, the great atmospheres carry over, and co-op is tons of fun. For the Co-Op Bot Store, people need to realize that it's all cosmetic items. They're kinda pricey, yes, but it doesn't have any bearing on the gameplay at all, and many items are unlocked through achievements and gameplay itself. I only had a couple gripes with Portal 2, and they're minor at best:
    1) Loading screens galore in the test chamber levels. Perhaps they are the reason for the terrific engine performance, but I was taken aback by the number of load screens, even coming after very short sections.
    2) No "advanced map" section. I was really hoping to see the return of Challenge and Advanced maps like in Portal 1, as they offer a huge replay value. And although they are to be released in an upcoming DLC (which will be free), it was kind of a let down to see them missing from the games release.
    3) Some options, such as Portal Glow and Help Pop-ups aren't options accessible in the main menu, and must be accessed via the developers console.

All that in regards though, this is still a wonderfully made game, and is going to be a wildly entertaining experience for anyone who picks it up.
  13. Apr 20, 2011
    Very interesting plot-wise, and the amount of in-game content has dramatically risen while keeping the same high levels of quality. The comedy is quite nice too, as is the final song during the credits.
  14. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is awesome. Really, ignore these BS trolling reviews. This game is, by far, the best release of 2011. I am seriously in love with the COOP. I had the most fun in the multiplayer with my friend. So creative, innovative and fun. I typically don't review games on metacritic, but this game deserves a review way higher than a 7.6 (the freaking trolls are annoying). Also, this game hasThis game is awesome. Really, ignore these BS trolling reviews. This game is, by far, the best release of 2011. I am seriously in love with the COOP. I had the most fun in the multiplayer with my friend. So creative, innovative and fun. I typically don't review games on metacritic, but this game deserves a review way higher than a 7.6 (the freaking trolls are annoying). Also, this game has no DLC, it has items that HAS NO EFFECT ON GAMEPLAY that you can purchase). BUY IT. Expand
  15. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is a perfect extension of the original. More levels, more interactivity, more surprises, more history. The main campaign is a blast, and the co-op is unforgettable. Yes there is costumes you can buy (who cares?) for co-op, but all the real content is there in the game, and the game itself is a blast.

No complaints. Seriously.
  16. Apr 20, 2011
    Great game. 10+ hours of game play total and with SDK coming in there will be a whole more levels to play. Everything I have expected from Valve and more. It's fun exploring the levels and finding hidden stuff.
    FACT: DLC doesn't mean purely cosmetic items such as skins. If you believe this, you're retarded. FACT: You don't have to buy any COSMETIC items, they in no way affect the game.
  17. Apr 20, 2011
    Fantastic game, all that I expected and more. Finished both singleplayer and multiplayer, and both were tons of fun. Only thing missing are some bonus/challenge maps like the first game.
  18. Apr 20, 2011
    consists of excellent and thought provoking gameplay and also has some funny dialogue. it's a great game! i look forward to more content from valve, and hopefully some user made maps as well.
  19. Apr 20, 2011
    Ignore the idiots who say this game is bad. Valve has put its video game magic to work again. Portal 2 is a fantastic game, elaborating on Portal's original brilliance. With a longer solo mode and a new co-op mode, it's well worth the price. Bring along excellent voice acting, the usual Portal humor (Along with some newer jokes), a "new" setting, and new gameplay mechanics (Gotta loveIgnore the idiots who say this game is bad. Valve has put its video game magic to work again. Portal 2 is a fantastic game, elaborating on Portal's original brilliance. With a longer solo mode and a new co-op mode, it's well worth the price. Bring along excellent voice acting, the usual Portal humor (Along with some newer jokes), a "new" setting, and new gameplay mechanics (Gotta love those gels) and you have a fantastic game. Also, with Steam integration on PS3, cross platform gaming comes in (Sorry Xbox 360, maybe sometime in the future) to add further interest. And now, to address those people with the negative reviews: you don't have to buy the DLC, the solo game takes maybe 8 hours, and co-op takes maybe 5 hours, and who cares about the early release? It's a great game, and you get some pretty slick games anyways. Regardless of all the trolls, I think Portal 2 is on its way to Game of the Year, and it deserves the awesome reviews from the critics. Keep on going, Valve! Expand
  20. Apr 20, 2011
    Best game ever. If Portal was an Independent art house film then Portal 2 is a big budget Hollywood summer blockbuster (but without the artistic compromise)
  21. Apr 20, 2011
    I literally just made a metacritc account so I can reveiw this game. I'm sick of the crap reveiws. IMHO Portal 2 is fun-as-hell and definitely worth what I paid for it. - Single player is super enjoyable and I know I will replay it to find all the easter eggs.
    - Co-op is exactly what I hoped it would be. Fleshed out, long, fun and innovative.
    - I don't understand why everyone is mad about
    - I don't understand why everyone is mad about the "hat shop". All that stuff can be earned. For free. FREE. - Surprisingly still as funny as the first. I expected it to lose a bit of it's charm, but it pleasantly surprised me

Ignore the trolls. Get this game.
  22. Apr 20, 2011
    A perfect extension of the first game. The story dives (literally) into the history of Aperture Science, and the plot ties things up nicely, if not a little predictably. Chekov not only left his gun lying around, but his whole kitchen (including the sink). The puzzles and the gameplay are challenging, but not impossible, as the game does a good job of teaching you how to play as you play.A perfect extension of the first game. The story dives (literally) into the history of Aperture Science, and the plot ties things up nicely, if not a little predictably. Chekov not only left his gun lying around, but his whole kitchen (including the sink). The puzzles and the gameplay are challenging, but not impossible, as the game does a good job of teaching you how to play as you play. I'm hoping with the DLC that Valve will release more levels, both single-player and co-op. Expand
  23. Apr 20, 2011
    I'm glad to have purchased this game. Valve have stepped up to the challenge of making a follow-up to Portal, and have done exceptionally well. I got about 7 hours of play time our of my first run-through, and will be playing through again to pick up some achievements and find some easter-eggs that I may have missed on my first time through. As far as the DLC goes, I'm all for the DLC thatI'm glad to have purchased this game. Valve have stepped up to the challenge of making a follow-up to Portal, and have done exceptionally well. I got about 7 hours of play time our of my first run-through, and will be playing through again to pick up some achievements and find some easter-eggs that I may have missed on my first time through. As far as the DLC goes, I'm all for the DLC that doesn't affect my gameplay if I don't buy it. As I have a limited gaming budget, and can maybe buy three games a year, as opposed to the 4 or 5 a month some people seem to go through, I am firmly of the opinion that gameplay DLC should be free, or at least below my threshold of pain for entertainment purchases (about $5). As the current DLC store for Portal 2 is just cosmetic mods to player-characters, I have no problems with the way it's set up.

I was a little disappointed that I didn't see any of the advanced chambers from the promotional videos. I'll give it another playthrough and see if I just missed something.

All in all, well worth the $50 I spent on it. It'll satisfy my gaming itch for some time!
  24. Apr 20, 2011
    So far Portal 2 has been one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The story is very engaging with excellent writing and voice acting. A few of the puzzles made me think a bit, but so far I haven't gotten stuck on any of them. I haven't finished yet after playing for about 6 hours and I feel like I'm not all that close to an ending. These people who say they finished inSo far Portal 2 has been one of the best games I have played in a very long time. The story is very engaging with excellent writing and voice acting. A few of the puzzles made me think a bit, but so far I haven't gotten stuck on any of them. I haven't finished yet after playing for about 6 hours and I feel like I'm not all that close to an ending. These people who say they finished in 2 or 3 hours must be way smarter than me, which I'm ok with. I'm having a blast playing and I find myself laughing out loud quite a bit. I haven't touched the co-op mode yet and I will definitely be looking forward to playing with my friends after I finish the single player game. Expand
  25. Apr 20, 2011
    Excellent game!! single-player is long, with many new things,there are some parts very hard and take a while to pass it. Co-op is just amazing, i just can play in split-screen with my friends! cooperative levels are difficult and very innovative. The best game of the year!
  26. Apr 20, 2011
    This is pretty much the most fun I've had with a game in a while. The campaign is masterful. My favorite part, without a doubt is the coop though. It's so satisfying to FINALLY solve that one puzzle that you and your friend just couldn't get past.
  27. Apr 20, 2011
    For those complaining about the short length and cost of the game: Valve releases barely any games and when they do release major ones, it will be costly and is justified by that because they have to do business. Now comparing it to other games such as call of duty, they charge just as much for their games released every year with the the single player mode being as long or shorter thanFor those complaining about the short length and cost of the game: Valve releases barely any games and when they do release major ones, it will be costly and is justified by that because they have to do business. Now comparing it to other games such as call of duty, they charge just as much for their games released every year with the the single player mode being as long or shorter than portal 2. What did you expect? Fallout 3? As for the potato sack, it was optional for you to buy it. Who are you to criticize the actions of other people when they chip in and try to get the game out early? Their loss or gain is not Valve's problem as it is optional and the game will be released anyways. It's a gamble. Expand
  28. Apr 20, 2011
    For starters, this game is damned impressive. I was a bit wary at first: I wasn't sure how Valve would handle the sequel to their previously so well-received title, but they really managed to pull this off well. The level of polish is pleasantly higher than expected and overall the game feels like a very well-produced product. The humor has had me burst out laughing at times and theFor starters, this game is damned impressive. I was a bit wary at first: I wasn't sure how Valve would handle the sequel to their previously so well-received title, but they really managed to pull this off well. The level of polish is pleasantly higher than expected and overall the game feels like a very well-produced product. The humor has had me burst out laughing at times and the gameplay is as entertaining as ever.

Many people have been harshly criticizing Valve for including "first-day DLC", but it must be considered that this is entirely optional DLC - it is purely aesthetic and you do not suffer being kicked from a game or any other consequence should you choose not to purchase it. The campaign is about as long as you choose to make it, depending on how much you choose to rush, how much dialogue you listen to, and how good you are at solving the puzzles, and one must also consider the presence of the cooperative campaign, which stands entirely on its own. Overall I think Valve has done no less than we could have expected of them, which was to produce an excellent game.
  29. Apr 20, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not everyone can complete the game in 3-4 hours. Some of us have jobs, university, school, a family AKA a life. The game is astonishing. Unforgettable experience. GLaDOS is funny as hell. Even if you didn't play the first Portal game you'll laugh because of her jokes and sarcasm. Expand
  30. Apr 20, 2011
    Although its not perfect, its the best game so far that has been released in the past 4 years (or ever?! :)). The improvements in the game are stand in good stead, but also are in case of necessity. Albeit I missed the generally aseptic and clean environmental mood this time, cause most of the levels were in the state of raunchy, due to catch up to the story's nature. Some of the newAlthough its not perfect, its the best game so far that has been released in the past 4 years (or ever?! :)). The improvements in the game are stand in good stead, but also are in case of necessity. Albeit I missed the generally aseptic and clean environmental mood this time, cause most of the levels were in the state of raunchy, due to catch up to the story's nature. Some of the new features are really interesting, and Im glad that Valve really did adopt some of the best ideas from the gamer ardent spirits, that have been counselled about the sequel in its forums, during the first games terms of office (Yess, I was a part of that :)!). But im still a bit confused about that they wanted at all hazard, to intensify all of the unique elements (like the cynic humour) of the predecessor with a bit too roughly style, and they sometimes slightly overshoot the mark a little. The another controvertible part was the barely outdated engine, although the graphics style fits to the game perfectly, ideas like this game is based on, relay deserve a bit more gloss, I would really like to see some improvement on the side of this from Valve in the near future! Oh, and yess Valve, we want the co-op to be expanded by new DLC maps too! Taking it all round, Portal 2 is one of the most outstanding, most extraordinary and intellectually challenging game I ever played with. For me its the must have category, just like its posterior will be (hopefully in a few years)! Expand
  31. Apr 20, 2011
    Upon completing this adventure within Portal 2 an initial reaction was satisfaction. It offered so many amazing gameplay mechanics that it never feels boring for a second while also never frustrating when solving the complex level designs. In addition the campaign's story was so funny, immersive and entertaining as a full length title that Valve must be congratulated in creating one of theUpon completing this adventure within Portal 2 an initial reaction was satisfaction. It offered so many amazing gameplay mechanics that it never feels boring for a second while also never frustrating when solving the complex level designs. In addition the campaign's story was so funny, immersive and entertaining as a full length title that Valve must be congratulated in creating one of the greatest games of this generation. To note giving this title a '0' (the lowest score you can give for a game) soley based on supplemented DLC is not a good critical analysis at all. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2011
    I honestly don't think I've ever been so engrossed in a game before. Half-Life 2 and that series is a very close second... but Portal 2 really, really takes the cake on this one. I didn't see a single flaw, either in graphics, storyline, or delivery. Hands down, amazing. Good job Valve. I will be recommending this game to all my friends, and even people I have never met before.

And for

And for anyone that says the game is short... it's not, honestly, and do you really think Valve won't add on more content later with extra challenges? It took me about 6 hours to play through the story line, and I will definitely be playing through it again and again. This game was worth every penny.
  33. Apr 20, 2011
    By far the greatest Valve game that has ever been made. I started playing this at 6 PM my time, and refused to go to sleep until I finished it. It was 2:30 AM when I finished it the game. All I can say is that Valve took all my expectations and passed them. They turned a small 2 to 3 hour indie experiment and made a 8-10 hour full-fledged game. Valve proved to the world that they stillBy far the greatest Valve game that has ever been made. I started playing this at 6 PM my time, and refused to go to sleep until I finished it. It was 2:30 AM when I finished it the game. All I can say is that Valve took all my expectations and passed them. They turned a small 2 to 3 hour indie experiment and made a 8-10 hour full-fledged game. Valve proved to the world that they still know how to make an amazing game. The levels are beautifully designed, richly detailed, and reward you immensely for looking at it closely. Stephen Merchant and JK Simmons voice their characters beautifully with incredible humor that doesn't force itself. All I can say is that Portal 2 almost a perfect game. Aside from a few difficult puzzles (which are actually easy when you beat them, as they require you to think outside the box) there is nothing wrong with this game, and anyone who can buy it, SHOULD BUY IT. Expand
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    Let me start by saying that I think this game deserves a 9/10. The extra 1 is to try and balance out the idiots who are giving this game 0-3/10. They're either trolls or people who absolutely hate puzzle games and shouldn't have been playing this game anyways. That said, I loved this game. Stunning voice acting, clever puzzles, and a riveting storyline make this the best game so far thisLet me start by saying that I think this game deserves a 9/10. The extra 1 is to try and balance out the idiots who are giving this game 0-3/10. They're either trolls or people who absolutely hate puzzle games and shouldn't have been playing this game anyways. That said, I loved this game. Stunning voice acting, clever puzzles, and a riveting storyline make this the best game so far this year. Those who are claiming this to be a console port don't know what they're talking about. There's up to 8x AA on AMD/ ATI cards, up to 16x AF, other expected texture settings, and it even supports Eyefinity (resolution of 5760x1080). I look forward to going through the campaign again to find the secrets that I missed. I did find the puzzles to be easier to solve then the ones from portal 1, but that is to be expected considering that I beat that game a couple times. I've had practice. Expand
  35. Apr 20, 2011
    To the **** and haters. Your points are noted, but invalid. Go kill yourselves. Love, Sloth
    PS: Make a better game and prove me wrong.
  36. Apr 20, 2011
    I have no idea why the user average is 7.7. It deserves a 9 at least. The concept is amazing, gameplay is solid and exhilarating, new features are never forced or gimmicky and voice acting is stellar. It's an incredibly funny game that never has one dull moment. It's full of nothing but robots but they have more personality than most games with people. They tell an interesting storyI have no idea why the user average is 7.7. It deserves a 9 at least. The concept is amazing, gameplay is solid and exhilarating, new features are never forced or gimmicky and voice acting is stellar. It's an incredibly funny game that never has one dull moment. It's full of nothing but robots but they have more personality than most games with people. They tell an interesting story through nothing but voice and it's so fresh and so valve. If you loved the first, you will love this hilarious, exciting, gameplay feature packed, great looking game. The multiplayer is the best because the puzzles are more complex and give you such a great feeling of accomplishment that you just want to high five your buddy and cheer! From start to end, this game will make you laugh and think and marvel at the sheer beauty and quality that valve has packaged for you. The best game I have purchased since the beginning of 2010. Expand
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    The best game I've played in a long time. Don't believe the over-entitled crybabies leaving negative reviews: this game is 6 to 8 hours of perfectly formed single-player entertainment, and the same amount of co-op multiplayer entertainment.
  38. Apr 21, 2011
    Simple the best Valve's game so far. Portal 2 has very amazing singleplayer experience and is full-length game when comparing to other games. Graphics in this game are beautiful to old source engine (middle-high-end when comparing to all games). Game is well optimised and runs on lower-end computers well.

The story in this game is interesting and the plot is excellent. Most of jokes are hilarious and rest of them make you laugh too. For me, Valve has nice sense of humor. Game mechanics works very well, gels don't make you lag and they're smooth. (exclude driver issues etc, that are in every game).

As a true portal 1 fan, Portal 2 beats it in every sector, every single one. People say that this game is short, but should the game last 5 hours on speed run? If people played this in hurry to something like 2-3 hours, I'd say it's not short. (Portal 1 can be played in
  39. Apr 21, 2011
    Simply fantastic. The new elements in Portal 2 diversify the gameplay without overburdening it with complication. The storyline is convincing and immersive; the voice acting evoked pathos and drove humor. The game took me around 7 hours to finish, not including the separate co-op section.
  40. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve delivers on the good stuff once again. Single player takes a good 8-9 to complete, multiplayer can last another 7. Overall, you're looking at a good 15-16 hours of gameplay give or take. Your experience with this game will vary based on how much you enjoy challenging puzzle gameplay, but even if you aren't a huge fan of this, you will likely enjoy the game's sense of humor and it'sValve delivers on the good stuff once again. Single player takes a good 8-9 to complete, multiplayer can last another 7. Overall, you're looking at a good 15-16 hours of gameplay give or take. Your experience with this game will vary based on how much you enjoy challenging puzzle gameplay, but even if you aren't a huge fan of this, you will likely enjoy the game's sense of humor and it's well written dialogue.

This may not be the longest game ever released, but to pretend it only lasts 4 hours or whatever claims are out there, is simply deceptive, and flat out false. This is one of Valve's finest games and again, assuming you enjoy puzzle gameplay, it's hard to find an experience as satisfying as Portal 2. It's one thing not to like this game, but to give it scores of 0 or 1 on here for a game with these top notch production values...let's just say I question if these people are blindly hating, or if they actually played the game.
  41. Nil
    Apr 21, 2011
    There's just a handful of games that are crafted with as much love, and I am quite surprised because most of them are Valve games.

Portal 2 is a sweet puzzle game that will have newcomers to the 'thinking with portals' mechanics entertained considerably longer than the rest of those who already know their way around them. Still, regardless, in personal experience the Single Player

Still, regardless, in personal experience the Single Player campaign runs at a satisfactory 6-8 hour game. You can, however, rush it through in a bit more than 5 hours when you already know the puzzle solutions.

Now, apart from being fun and filled with comedy throughout this game has depth. I know! Try and look around for details, if you haven't played the other games in the Half Life universe some details might go over your head, but there is plenty to discover about the Story of Chell and how she fits in it.

Then there's Cooperative Mode. It's fun and depending on who you play it with may end up going for hours. Do try to play it with friends, since playing with random players usually becomes stressful because they are prone to leaving mid game.

And finally, disregard the DLC complaints. The game is enjoyable as delivered, what the Cash Shop included in the game provides is just a short cut for people who find the game so hard that they would rather pay to unlock content instead of playing more. And besides, most of the Shop items are nothing but cosmetic modifications which do not, in any way, affect the game. At all.
  42. Apr 21, 2011
    a very nice follow-up on the first portal. it's a good thing they didn't loose there sense of humor that was in the first game. a game rarely makes me laugh this hard. the level design is of a high quality, almost too bad your are going trough it so fast. the puzzles are challenging and have good new elements. the only down side is the length, witch is just too short for this kind of game
  43. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best games I've played this year so far. Where Portal was a 2-hour prototype for the portal mechanic, Portal 2 is a 5-6 hour (single player only, not including co-op) full-fat game which greatly expands on what Portal achieved. Perfect voice acting, amazing graphics (which just goes to show how much mileage Valve can still get out of the Source engine), mind-bending puzzlesOne of the best games I've played this year so far. Where Portal was a 2-hour prototype for the portal mechanic, Portal 2 is a 5-6 hour (single player only, not including co-op) full-fat game which greatly expands on what Portal achieved. Perfect voice acting, amazing graphics (which just goes to show how much mileage Valve can still get out of the Source engine), mind-bending puzzles which will definitely give your brain a workout, and a powerful and hilarious story which carries you all the way through both game modes. In my opinion, definitely deserving of a 10/10.

Oh, and don't listen to all the trolls who are, for some reason, using very minor issues as excuses to give a 1 or 0/10. There's no reason to give something a 1 or less unless the game in question is utterly broken beyond comprehension, and doing so only highlights the lack of ones ability to discuss things like an actual grown-up. Giving 5's or 6's might help their case better.
  44. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is a great expansion on the portal universe. Valve took what they had as far as they could. The game is a solid 10 hours with stunning visuals and brilliant comedic practices which will have you rolling on the floor laughing. highly recommended. I think users expected something too different from portal 2 than portal and thus was met with negativity and hostility.
  45. Apr 21, 2011
    this game has a level of polish rarely seen, and some of the best voice acting in any video game to date. Valve took the original and without removing any of the charm created a much deeper and more fleshed out game-play experience. portal 2 is truly a fantastic game.
  46. Apr 21, 2011
    A good follow up. The dialog is even better than the original. I don't know if it's because we already experienced the "think with portals" game play before, but the test don't seem quite as difficult. Not that I have gotten stuck trying to figure them out a few times in 2.
  47. Apr 21, 2011
    Graphics, scenario and atmosphere are top notch. Gameplay is great too with the new mechanics. Great game, as always with Valve.

PS to go over the 150 char limit : don't listen to all the bad reviews, most of their arguments are invalid.
  48. Apr 21, 2011
    The reason there are so many negative reviews is probably because of the price of the game. Many people feel that given the short length of the game it should have been cheaper. Personally i think it's worth the price, it's as simple as that. If you think its worth it buy it but if u dont think its worth it then dont buy it. Expensive or not this is still a quality game which i can rankThe reason there are so many negative reviews is probably because of the price of the game. Many people feel that given the short length of the game it should have been cheaper. Personally i think it's worth the price, it's as simple as that. If you think its worth it buy it but if u dont think its worth it then dont buy it. Expensive or not this is still a quality game which i can rank higher than $60 dollar games. Also this is not a $60 dollar game i dont know where people got that figure from. Someone had the nerve to say "Poor level design, the levels are broken" This is just someone who lacks the mental capacity to solve these puzzles. The game is fun, not once was i bored during single player and coop is a real laugh. Also dont believe people who say they completed it in 3 hours. I'm pretty sure thats impossible without cheats of some kind. If you can solve each puzzle right away (which is extremely difficult) the game will still take u at least 5 hours. Personally i think the length of the single player is 5-7 hours and coop 3-5 hours. Also all the moan about DLC which is basically a few gimmicky items u can equip ur coop character with is ridiculous. They are releasing a level design kit down the road so expect custom maps too. In the UK its £30 on Steam. I'd personally recommend it. Expand
  49. Apr 21, 2011
    This was one of the best experience i have ever had, the ideal mix between storytelling and actual gameplay. Valve does an excellent job at dragging you in its games, i.e. Half-Life 2 etc. I Notice a lot of people complaining about the 'old' engine Valve uses, i don't see any problems with it, the graphics are ace and perfect for a game like portal in my opinion.

*like like*
  50. Apr 21, 2011
    One of the best Games i ever played nice and hard levels . Nice ideas with the gel etc. and The best COOP game i ever played in my whole life. GOOD WORK VALVE .waiting for Portal 3^^
  51. Apr 21, 2011
    Amazing game, best 40 euros spend on video games in a long time. The single player is simply amazing. People might argue about how short the game actually is, but if you like to explore and get the full portal 2 experience, the singleplayer alone might take you upto 8 hours, and then there is still the co-op to explore which is also a full campaign. Graphics are top and the story also tiesAmazing game, best 40 euros spend on video games in a long time. The single player is simply amazing. People might argue about how short the game actually is, but if you like to explore and get the full portal 2 experience, the singleplayer alone might take you upto 8 hours, and then there is still the co-op to explore which is also a full campaign. Graphics are top and the story also ties in with the half life world! (Borealis hl2) Ofcourse people might be dissapointed if they followed the whole Potato ARG by valve and hoped that the game would release over the weekend, but giving this game a negative score is just overreacting. It's certainly one of the contestants for game of the year, and it doesnt deserve the bad scores like /v/ did earlier to dragon age 2. Expand
  52. Apr 21, 2011
    Loved the game.
    I love all the small touches all around the game from the funny posters to the way the background music reacts to player actions and adds well to the atmosphere.
    I found the voice acting, the characters and their scripts to be entertaining, we're going to be quoting Cave Johnson for a long time. The puzzles designs were good and well thought out, hard enough to slow
    Loved the game.
    The puzzles designs were good and well thought out, hard enough to slow down the players as they work things out but not stop them, so a good pace can be set throughout the game.
    Haven't finished the co op yet but we are having a great time with it so far.
    Graphics are good and a good amount of time can be spent just looking around the levels appreciating the looks.
    I really did enjoy the story and the speed with which it develops, overall I reckon they chose a good length for the game to prevent it from getting stale, just as fun to do in one big sitting or several small sittings without losing your place.

The adverts and teaser clips they put out for this game really built up the hype for me, so I'm glad I wasn't disappointed, not to mention that little competition they had going in order to get the game released earlier was a fantastic idea as far as I was concerned.

Good job valve, now wheres half life 3?
  53. Apr 21, 2011
    This was everything I wanted in a Portal sequel. The puzzles, characters, level design, and especially the humor, were all a step above what the first portal had achieved. Valve has outdone themselves yet again.
  54. Apr 21, 2011
    I think this game has too many haters for this type of game, It's original ( unless your counting portal one ) it has a great story line, and it's great for multi player. People say this games levels are very dull, but there original, and a challenge. Most people who play this game have had allot of fun playing it and I have to as I think it is very entertaining. And you could have aI think this game has too many haters for this type of game, It's original ( unless your counting portal one ) it has a great story line, and it's great for multi player. People say this games levels are very dull, but there original, and a challenge. Most people who play this game have had allot of fun playing it and I have to as I think it is very entertaining. And you could have a outstanding game like COD4 when it was out but yet that is not as fun as say Donkey Kong returns. Most games are known for graphics and what the online play is like. Well really games should be about how much fun you can get in them, how long you will be interested for, and how original they are. So that just proves this is a epic game that will and should be rated as one of the best there is. Expand
  55. Apr 21, 2011
    9/10 Great game, and well worth the wait.
    9/10 Great game, and well worth the wait.
    First off, everyone complaining that it isn't long enough needs to realize that people solve puzzles at different speeds. It seems like the average completion time for the single player is 5-7 hours and for co-op it is 2-3 hours. That makes the game about 7-10 hours long, which if you bought it for $40 for the 2 pack during pre-order, makes it well worth it. I can see why people who bought it for $50 might be kind of mad, but that is their problem for not splitting it with a friend. I'm also doing the dev commentary so that adds another chuck of play time.
    Regardless, the game is hilarious and looks beautiful. Didn't have any glitches or level design flaws so I don't know what other people are complaining about. The only thing that really makes me mad about the game is the dlc for co-op. All of those things should have come are rewards for achievements- not cost actual money. Really valve? Paying for gestures? I understand paying for new maps and campaigns, that makes perfect sense. But day 1 dlc makes me feel like it should be part of the game and that I'm getting ripped off. Plus only one other person at a time will see them so whats it matter anyway? This is why I'm docking off a point from a 10.
    Last thing is I miss the challenge maps, those add gameplay time and don't seem hard to make so I don't see why they weren't included. So I'm hoping this and REAL dlc gets added soon.
  56. Apr 21, 2011
    This Game is perfect! Please don't let these haters steer you away from this gem of a game. Take you time is the various tests and rooms. There are plenty of clues and hidden areas to keep one busy for quite some time. So don't blow thru it like some people who are trying to look for hints for HL:EP3. If it comes great if not, so what. Portal 2 stands alone as a great game, and needs to beThis Game is perfect! Please don't let these haters steer you away from this gem of a game. Take you time is the various tests and rooms. There are plenty of clues and hidden areas to keep one busy for quite some time. So don't blow thru it like some people who are trying to look for hints for HL:EP3. If it comes great if not, so what. Portal 2 stands alone as a great game, and needs to be respected as such. Expand
  57. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is incredible. Whatever you have read, you will not finish Portal 2 in under 6 Hours. I have finished Portal 1 in one and a half hours in my first play through and I needed 7 hours to finish Portal 2. Even if you are a genius there is still Co-Op which is at least as long as the single-player campaign.

Apart from that, Valve's Portal 2 is a great game which is not only

Apart from that, Valve's Portal 2 is a great game which is not only extremely creative (which is rare in today's jungle of Battlefield and Call of Duty) but even for advanced Portal players, it is in later stages challenging. It is one of those games that comes along only few times in many years. It is funny, makes you think (which again, is very rare in today's games) and did I mention that I had the most fun in years playing Co-Op? It is just hilarious if someone messes up and you die.

Game of the Decade if you ask me.
  58. Apr 21, 2011
    The game is beautiful. People need to quit whineing so much. I played through it and noticed none of the little things people are bashing this about. Glados is funnier, sharper and everything is a lot more complete feeling tham Portal 1. Truly brilliant
  59. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is easily the best game I've played in 2011, and even with such titles as L.A. Noire, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim and The Last Guardian coming out later this year, I have no doubt that Portal 2 will be a strong contender for game of the year.

I was never much a fan of the original Portal. I thought it was well-made, but due to ridiculous amounts of hype (and, more likely than not, the fact that I'd seen the ending before I played the game) it never stood out to me. Its sequel has changed that. Portal 2 is nothing short of brilliant. It is absolutely perfect from start to finish, and my only complaint is that, at some point, it had to end.

That being said, Portal 2 has, the best ending of any game I've ever played. If you thought that the first game ended fantastically, or even if you didn't, Portal 2's ending will leave you in a confused state of amusement, shock, awe, and even a little bit of sadness at the knowledge that you will never be able to recreate such an amazing experience.

It's important to note, as well, that the negative reviews on Metacritic are largely from people who are upset about the in-game DLC store and do not reflect at all on the overall quality of the game.

I can not stress this enough: play Portal 2. Because it's far more than a game - it's a paragon of what every developer should strive for.
  60. Apr 21, 2011
    This is an amazing game. When I heard all these other reviewers complaining, I got scared that my pre-order went to waste. And boy, it didn't. This game is one of the best I've played in a while. The level design keeps you stumped at specific points due to puzzles that are actually difficult, not like lots of puzzle games where the difficulty in the puzzle is due to bad communicationThis is an amazing game. When I heard all these other reviewers complaining, I got scared that my pre-order went to waste. And boy, it didn't. This game is one of the best I've played in a while. The level design keeps you stumped at specific points due to puzzles that are actually difficult, not like lots of puzzle games where the difficulty in the puzzle is due to bad communication between the programmer and player. The dialogue, characters, and story is hilarious. There were points where I had to pause the game in order to control my laughter. I'd give this a ten, but there are large amounts of loading times which get annoying quickly. Overall, this game is outstanding. It's met ALL of my expectations for it. Expand
  61. Apr 21, 2011
    Valve did an amazing job with this game as they always do. I honestly can't understand the many low rated "reviews" here. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered and it was 100% worth it. The Source engine was once more improved and the game looks really good in my opinion. The storyline develops great and there are lots of twists that make the story exciting. The characters are awesomeValve did an amazing job with this game as they always do. I honestly can't understand the many low rated "reviews" here. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered and it was 100% worth it. The Source engine was once more improved and the game looks really good in my opinion. The storyline develops great and there are lots of twists that make the story exciting. The characters are awesome and the synchronisation is great in English and German. Especially the robot Wheatley is absolutely adorable. In the end, the story finished way better than Portal 1 did, although the Credits song (again by Jonathan Coulton) wasn't as good as the first one. Expand
  62. Apr 21, 2011
    First off, if you're going to complain about how you don't have enough money to spend on video games yet you still spend on video games, grow up and learn to be responsible with your spendings. It's not our fault you live in your parents' basement. Secondly, this game is beautiful. Skins are great, images are sharper and cleaner. Game play is smooth and the puzzles are interesting. I wasFirst off, if you're going to complain about how you don't have enough money to spend on video games yet you still spend on video games, grow up and learn to be responsible with your spendings. It's not our fault you live in your parents' basement. Secondly, this game is beautiful. Skins are great, images are sharper and cleaner. Game play is smooth and the puzzles are interesting. I was worried about co-op but it's fantastic. Game play isn't as short as many people claim, you can get a good few hours out of it and that and more out of co-op. Also, there's the option to play again and try and find alternate ways to solve the levels. For the fanboys complaining about price, look at the price of all video games these days. Your $50 isn't going to pay for all the **** the developers had to do and the man hours put in to creating this game, learn to economy. As much as you claim you're never going to buy another Valve game, you are. The game is best enjoyed if you take your time to appreciate it. You're ruining it for yourself if you try and race through. Love the dialogue and the character development. The expansion of things you can do with the portals is great and promises for more hours of game time. I strongly recommend this game and encourage you to ignore the butthurt players nitpicking over the littlest things

Also: Sidenote, claiming the game is great and awesome, you just don't want to pay that much for it so you're going to buy it used and deny Valve from gaining anything ISN'T GOING TO HELP YOU. If everyone decided to do that, you would be forced to return to crap games because they wouldn't have the money to make nice pretty new ones. You had months to save up those pennies to buy a copy.
  63. Apr 21, 2011
    The whole experience of Portal 2 was unbelievable, and was gripping from the very start. There was also a huge difference in scale when put aside Portal: The rooms and areas are gigantic, there's a much more engaging story and generally, the game is much larger. Apart from this, the graphics are beautiful; unlike the white, sterile feel of the first, this features lush vegetation growingThe whole experience of Portal 2 was unbelievable, and was gripping from the very start. There was also a huge difference in scale when put aside Portal: The rooms and areas are gigantic, there's a much more engaging story and generally, the game is much larger. Apart from this, the graphics are beautiful; unlike the white, sterile feel of the first, this features lush vegetation growing in the labs, other natural elements, and creates a very interesting environment. Even better, it has mod support, so I'm keen to see what is created from it. Of course, the game is short, and there isn't much to go back for. However, it is unbelievably difficult to write something that keeps the audience as engaged and mind-blown as I was throughout the whole thing, especially given that there's only one path to take, and it has to feel natural for the gamer. I also think the length of the game is small for a reason, I'll put it this way: No one wants to watch a 20 hour long film... Also, I wouldn't listen to most of these negative comments, especially the ones which complain about the unlockable items from the store. These really shouldn't bother you, it's your choice whether to purchase them or not, since they have no effect on the gameplay whatsoever. Expand
  64. Apr 21, 2011
    It's really rare that a video game actually ever made me laugh. The humor you usually find in video games is either really lame or horrible slap-stick stuff. Portal 2 however has a very own style of comedy that works just perfectly with the game. The voice acting by Stephen Merchant and all the hidden little gems that you can find throughout the game are just flat out brilliant.
    The art
    The art style is just as unique and beautiful. You can definitely see that the HL-2 engine is starting to get really old though. The constant loading screens and really low-poly level design break the immersion a little but don't take away from your enjoyment at all.
    I had a blast playing through this both solo and coop. And can recommend it to everyone.
  65. Apr 21, 2011
    I absolutely love this game. Portal was a great little game that was polished to a shine making it the dark horse of the orange box, so of course expectations were high for this one. Personally I think they were met with flying colors. The game play is fun and, at least for me, sufficiently difficult. The story was exciting and the voice acting was absolutely stellar. But let me addressI absolutely love this game. Portal was a great little game that was polished to a shine making it the dark horse of the orange box, so of course expectations were high for this one. Personally I think they were met with flying colors. The game play is fun and, at least for me, sufficiently difficult. The story was exciting and the voice acting was absolutely stellar. But let me address some of the complaints that have been dished out:
    1) Short Game play: Nay-sayers had the same issue with Portal on this one. They are relatively short games, at least if you are speed running them. However they are the perfect length for what they are. They don't overstay their welcome and have a ton of filler to pad it up to a 20 hour game, unlike many that are out on the market. Personally I would prefer a 5 hour game (albeit the first go at single player took me 10 hours) that is high in quality than 50 hours of game play that is generally filler and overall unmemorable.
    2) ARG complaints: Really guys, really? I thought that this was brilliant marketing on valves part, sure it would have been nice to release Portal 2 more than a few hours earlier, but now I have a bunch of cool games that I would probably have passed by before, and they were a steal. Plus, it's not as if Valve forced you to spend your hard earned money on the potato sack. If you did then it is on you. But no matter what the quarrels may be they shouldn't be the sole reason for marking down Portal 2, it s a great game and if your one issue is the ARG, and you gave the game a bad review, grow up.
    3) Low end graphics: Why do we need better graphics in this game? I can't think of a single instance where I thought, "You know what, if the texture on that wall was slightly more realistic, this game would be amazing". I thought it was beautifully designed game and there is no need for a graphical upgrade for the sole purpose of slowing down my computer even more.
    4) Paying for cosmetic DLC: I am sorry, did someone tie you down and force you to buy a little top hat for one of the co-op robots? If the answer is no, then you have no right to complain. It is not important to game play, Valve has done this with TF2 and no one is forcing this stuff on you, you only have to buy it if you want. For TLDR's: Portal 2 is a great game, if you want a polished, fun and memorable experience, you will love this game. Ignore the nay-sayers, and enjoy yourself!
  66. Apr 21, 2011
    Stunningly brilliant game, absolutely obliterates the original. Not sure why people say it's short.. the length is perfect and it took a good 7 hours or so to beat. Those that are speed running the game must be bots because I don't know how you can enjoy this game and finish it that quickly.. so I call BS.

The co-op is just as much fun. I finished it with my buddy last night and we're

The co-op is just as much fun. I finished it with my buddy last night and we're both at around 14 hours played now. Game of the year no doubt!
  67. Apr 21, 2011
    This game is definitely worth the money. The story feels fresh and fun. This isn't portal 1.5 this is a true sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. Between the co-op and the single player you're going to get somewhere between 10 to 16 hours of some of the best crafted levels in gaming history. A lot of people complain about the cash shop. At first glance I thought it was perhaps aThis game is definitely worth the money. The story feels fresh and fun. This isn't portal 1.5 this is a true sequel to one of the greatest games ever made. Between the co-op and the single player you're going to get somewhere between 10 to 16 hours of some of the best crafted levels in gaming history. A lot of people complain about the cash shop. At first glance I thought it was perhaps a bit of a crock, but since then I've learned that most of the items can be unlocked (already earned 2 myself). It's all just cosmetic stuff anyway. Looking forward to the years of support and free levels this game will receive from Valve. Expand
  68. Apr 22, 2011
    Long story short: Portal 1 was great - Portal 2 is different, but also great. Great sense of humour, nice environment and the story is also good, if you watch and listen. I bought the game with my brother and we got 20% off - that's fair. Thumbs up for the steam platform - that's the future, get used to it! Also the DLC was a good idea and PLEASE guys, if you like playing computer games,Long story short: Portal 1 was great - Portal 2 is different, but also great. Great sense of humour, nice environment and the story is also good, if you watch and listen. I bought the game with my brother and we got 20% off - that's fair. Thumbs up for the steam platform - that's the future, get used to it! Also the DLC was a good idea and PLEASE guys, if you like playing computer games, don't whine about it - the business is hard and there are way too many dev companies dying... Expand
  69. Apr 22, 2011
    All I can say is WOW! Brilliant GFX, best voice overs ever in a game, highly immersive, fantastically paced. Again VALVE did a great job with a game that hardly has any faults. I love it and give it 10/10.

For all you guys who don't like the DLC: DON'T BUY IT! It's that easy.
  70. Apr 22, 2011
    The higher critic rating than user rating shows that critics on the whole aren't given to immature knee-jerk reactions and childish rants. Portal 2 is probably the best video game so far for a number of reasons:

Concept. First you have to think of the idea. Portal is based on a brilliant concept. Execution. There are probably a thousand brilliant ideas for every one that gets rendered in

Concept.
    First you have to think of the idea. Portal is based on a brilliant concept.

Execution.
    There are probably a thousand brilliant ideas for every one that gets rendered in a form that does it justice. Portal 2 takes the concept of the original and treats like a first draft, expanding, developing and exploring the concept into an immersive, funny, trippy and fun game, which is essentially non-violent (not a moral necessity, but a refreshing point of difference).

Production values. Tie it all together with vertigo inducing art and first class voice acting and you have a game that is the early 21st century's '2001: a space odyssey'. A mind expanding experience that somewhere transcends the medium to comment on the invasiveness of technology and 24/7 monitoring of society through close circuit cameras. Sure that may not have been the intention, but all good art reflects something of its time and Portal 2 gets it bang on.

Conclusion. Got a non-gamer friend with whom you would like to share the joys of gaming? Portal 2 will rip their socks off. And that's why it really is the best game so far.
  71. Apr 22, 2011
    Best game i've ever played. Play till the end. It's sad that i'll never ever play a game as good. Other than that i have not much to say. It's beautiful :')
  72. Apr 22, 2011
    The hype surrounding Portal 2 has been large with the Augmented reality game that Valve launched receiving mixed reviews. However Portal 2 does not disappoint.

I am hailing Portal 2 as an almost perfect game. Lets cover the one tiny bad part about this game in my view...lack of replayability and even that is grasping at straws to find what is wrong with this great game. There has also

There has also been controversy surrounding the "Robot Enrichment" mode in which you can buy skins for your multiplayer co op robots to distinguish yourself even further away from others. Yes it costs to get these items but you unlock some items during play and if you wish to make yourself very different from most people online you should have to expect to pay a premium.

The story of Portal 2 is very solid very reminiscent of the first while expanding upon the narrative and not getting stale. Throughout the game you do visit different parts of Aperture Science that were constructed during different eras from the 1950's onwards until the modern test chambers that GLaDOS herself put you through. This offers a very pleasing aesthetic with the game mixing things up and keeping things fresh.

The voice acting is solid with many new characters introduced to superb effect which further enriches the comedy that the game delivers with great timing and with great effect.

You will be surprised in which directions the story goes. Without giving too much away you shouldn't be disappointed in the least. Naturally I have to give it a fair score and thus I have giving it a 9 because although it is very close to being perfect, itâ
  73. Apr 22, 2011
    Personally I loved the game. The story was amusing and it twisted in enough ways to keep me interested, the campaign mode took me roughly 7 hours to beat. That time was because I like to explore everything and listen to all the dialogue which was amusing to say the least. The puzzles were all very fun and a few were even pretty hard (I played a lot of the first portal and as a result I amPersonally I loved the game. The story was amusing and it twisted in enough ways to keep me interested, the campaign mode took me roughly 7 hours to beat. That time was because I like to explore everything and listen to all the dialogue which was amusing to say the least. The puzzles were all very fun and a few were even pretty hard (I played a lot of the first portal and as a result I am used to "thinking with portals"). During all such fun the game was packed with as much if not more humor than the first game offered, humor which I got a big kick out of and is very family friendly still. Last thing I must say is that I really don't like hearing people complain about the dlc. The dlc in no way alters game play, if you feel cheated because you can't put on your favorite hat without paying for it, then you may be better suited to play a game like The Sims. No I don't think it is necessary for valve to do any sort of dlc, they make enough money. But it doesn't change my game, and my time in portal 2 was outstanding so thank you valve for an another amazing title. Expand
  74. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2: Valve has spent a long time preparing us for this amazing sequel. The game scope and size has increased approximately ten-fold. After completing the single-player, and multi-player game modes, this has to be one of my favorite games. With a more powerful computer this game runs flawlessly, and has amazing resolution.

The voice acting by Stephen Merchant, J.K. Simmons, and Ellen

The voice acting by Stephen Merchant, J.K. Simmons, and Ellen McLain is amazing. Some comments said actually made me stop and laugh pretty hard. The basic intro level is one of the craziest things that I have seen in a video game, all I can say is I hope to see more from the portal franchise.

After completing it, I only had two spots on the single player, where I had difficulty in figuring out the puzzle, and I required assistance as I could not figure it out. Checked out a quick solution in the in-game Steam browser and it was quick work.

Overall I loved this game, and recommended it to my friends. Hope they will add more multi-player modes in the future as it was and is a good team experience.
  75. Apr 22, 2011
    Great game! Single player mode is so amazing; very interesting plot, it's fun and... just so excellent! Co-op mode is also very fun and great. This is one of the best games ever.
  76. Apr 22, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best game...for me but only 1 problem... d3d device failed( amm ATI Radeon HD 5450) card and game is not run....bug or whatever but i finished the SP mod and the story is very very good 11/10 i wait the Portal 3 ^^ Expand
  77. Apr 22, 2011
    This is the best game for 2011. Quite delicious storyline, twists and turns, scrumptious easter eggs. And to finish it all off, a highly climatic ending with a brilliant finish.
  78. Apr 22, 2011
    To help your enjoyment of this review, smooth jazz will be deployed mentally in 3... 2... 1... As somebody who has been playing video and computer games for fifteen years I'm rarely impressed by anything these days, but Portal 2 has been an experience like few others. The pacing of the game is exemplary and the writing had me laughing from start to finish. When the game begins by tellingTo help your enjoyment of this review, smooth jazz will be deployed mentally in 3... 2... 1... As somebody who has been playing video and computer games for fifteen years I'm rarely impressed by anything these days, but Portal 2 has been an experience like few others. The pacing of the game is exemplary and the writing had me laughing from start to finish. When the game begins by telling you what the buttons do it's already deploying its trademark humor, and every character in the game is entertaining in their own way. The animation of all the mechanical elements often reminds one of Pixar movies, as do many scripted parts in their execution.

There are two areas of criticism that this game gets: graphics and length. The graphics aren't as mind-blowing as the rest of the game, but they're not noticeably dated unless you go looking for faults, which can be found in every game. I can't share the complaints about length - Portal 2 has been the best eight hours of gaming I've ever experienced. (Steam under-reports it at only 5h for me - that's probably where a lot of the complaints are coming from...) It doesn't have the length of an open-world game, but it also doesn't have empty traveling and frequent repetition that these games suffer.
  79. Apr 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is possibly the best game I have ever played. The writing and voice acting is top notch and I laughed out loud at some points and was genuinely scared at others.
    The single player gameplay is brilliant and although the game isn't the longest I had to scratch my head for up to 20 minutes with some puzzles.
    The co-op gameplay is very original and the puzzles can get very hard but
    The co-op gameplay is very original and the puzzles can get very hard but the ping tool makes it much easier to communicate where "here" and "there" is although it's certainly best to play with a friend as you need good communication regardless.
    Looking forward to the DLCs, Valve!
  80. Apr 22, 2011
    A much grander game than the first, Portal 2 is filled with new content, characters, and twists. All well withholding Valve's high standards of quality.
    I am Spider-man, and I approve of this game.
  81. Apr 22, 2011
    A disproportional number of the user reviews have been negative for this game, and to be honest I don't see why. By far it is the best sequel I have ever played, you look at games like Halo and all they have done is copy the original plot and game mechanics to the letter. Where as with Portal 2 they have added new features, a new plot, better graphics and a bit of a new look. UnfortunatelyA disproportional number of the user reviews have been negative for this game, and to be honest I don't see why. By far it is the best sequel I have ever played, you look at games like Halo and all they have done is copy the original plot and game mechanics to the letter. Where as with Portal 2 they have added new features, a new plot, better graphics and a bit of a new look. Unfortunately I couldn't find any references to "the cake" except one on the, "GLaDOS Emergency Shutdown and Cake Dispensary".

The plot it's self makes a nice parody of repetitive sequels by making it seem like it is going to end the same way as portal and then throwing another 2/3 of the game right at you. That said it still kinda dose copy portal 1's end, but not without some honest portal goodness and a truly epic boss fight ending. Some people have said that the game is too short, and they are slightly right about that - despite the fact I was praying for it to end soon, as midnight approached and I was due an early morning wake up (Why on earth would valve release such an major game on a week day?). I finished the game in one 7 hour session, with ample time to be stuck on some of the more confusing ones. And as I played it did kind of feel like there was so much more they wanted to do but were either too packed for time or money to do it. However the game is so packed with secret areas that I never bothered to explore and wonderful imagery that I never marvelled at because of the fore-mentioned time restrictions. So I think if you took the time to enjoy the game to its fullest it would take a good bit longer to finish and be far more entertaining.

Portal 2 did go for a bit of an unfortunate revamp with it's styles, changing the cubes so they now have lights on them, the portal gun so it now has a gravity gun effect when you pick up things, GLaDOS now looks more evil and the whole outside of the test chambers is no longer stationary. I say its unfortunate only because the cubes were a vary iconic symbol of portal and, despite the fact that the change is small, is still noticeable and hard to get used to. On top of this they add in lasers (thermal discouragement beams), light bridges, 3 types of gel and a weird moving beam that I can't remember the name of. each making the game more varied and far more interesting.

On to the matter of the missing cake. I'm not sure if it was because Valve thought the meme had moved on or if they were making a critique on tasteless repetition , either way they have certainly toned down the cake-y-ness for the sequel. Instead they have put in a far less yummy snack into POrTAl TwO, and were honestly trying to hard to iconise it.

Onto the co-op. Honestly the best multi player experience I have ever played, valve obviously knows what they are doing here, they have added in several useful mechanics to help the players communicate what they plan to do. If you have ever played army of two and noticed how all the mechanics were good ideas but didn't really work because you didn't want your partner to know what to do because then you could run ahead and get all the cash for a nice gold plating on your stinger. Well it's like that except there is no reward for finishing first, or dieing least, or placing less portals. the only thing close is "science collaboration points" which have no real relation to skill, on one level my friend killed me by accident, so GLaDOS awarded him 25 of them for teaching me the value of trust, this inspired him to try it again when he had 4 removed as I am not a human so do not need reminding. So they are more like Easter eggs than goals. It has to be said that the end to the multi player is a huge anti-climax, where it looks to be something sinister, and is in fact, but then ends far too early for any major development.

On the whole I would say this is probably the best game I have played in my life, I'm not sure if it follows enough on portal's original spirit, but with all of it's well balanced features and awesome, but short, co-op mode I can over look that. I would probably give this game a 9 because I believe that 10 is reserved for games that have no flaws at all, but I also feel that some of you have been reviewing it very unfairly so 10 it is.
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    One of the best games I have played in a while. We got what we expected from the game: fun levels, mind-warping puzzles, excellent humor and a game slightly longer than most AAA FPS titles. What I did not expect was the breathtaking locations. Yes, you are only inside rooms, but Valve has done a great job making those rooms something special to behold. I did also not expect such anOne of the best games I have played in a while. We got what we expected from the game: fun levels, mind-warping puzzles, excellent humor and a game slightly longer than most AAA FPS titles. What I did not expect was the breathtaking locations. Yes, you are only inside rooms, but Valve has done a great job making those rooms something special to behold. I did also not expect such an emotional story. Co-op is also a great addition, and it works perfectly. A great contender for my personal Game of the Year. Expand
  83. Apr 23, 2011
    This game is pretty fun. It doesn't play like a port. If it is indeed a console port, Valve has done a good job porting it. But I dont think it is. Have not tried coop yet but singleplayer alone seems worth it
  84. Apr 23, 2011
    Good sequel to Portal. Yes is shorter than some games but its longer than Portal 1 and has co-op for more time to play it.
    Padding this for minimum characters.
  85. Apr 23, 2011
    Valve is by far my favourite game company. Portal 2 is AMAZING. The graphics and animations are superb. The story behind all of this is by far the best sequel I've played. Not to mention Valve managed to hit the comedy factor perfectly, because that is what makes them the best. They portray everything in Portal 2 as their best creation. I wish aperture scientists could invent a way toValve is by far my favourite game company. Portal 2 is AMAZING. The graphics and animations are superb. The story behind all of this is by far the best sequel I've played. Not to mention Valve managed to hit the comedy factor perfectly, because that is what makes them the best. They portray everything in Portal 2 as their best creation. I wish aperture scientists could invent a way to clear my memory so I can play Portal 2 OVER and over again. Not to mention the co op just makes everything much better. Well done Valve, well done. Expand
  86. Apr 23, 2011
    I really don't even know where to begin. While I would not say this is the best Valve game ever made (I have a soft spot for HL 1), it is he best game they've made since HL2, and is definitely the best game to come out in years, AAA or not. They gameplay is slick, the puzzles are entertaining and reasonably challenging, and the co-op is polished and well thought out rather than being aI really don't even know where to begin. While I would not say this is the best Valve game ever made (I have a soft spot for HL 1), it is he best game they've made since HL2, and is definitely the best game to come out in years, AAA or not. They gameplay is slick, the puzzles are entertaining and reasonably challenging, and the co-op is polished and well thought out rather than being a last second tack on. However, the deal maker here is the writing. Why the hell can't other games have writing this good? I feel more attached to a mute woman with spring-legs and a sociopath AI than pretty much every video game character in the past 5 years. And this doesn't even include Cave Johnson and his lemons tirade, which may go down in history as the best lines ever uttered in a video game.

This game is great because there is nothing it can be compared to aside from Portal. It breaks the mold of great AAA titles being gritty, realistic, brown, based on combat, and super serious. If you want to hate the game, hate the fact that there is absolutely nothing else like it on the market save its predecessor. It is unique in a time when no other game really is. Yeah, it's a little short, but I have a feeling making a game based on intricate puzzles is a little harder to do than today's corridor shooter. Everything has to be fresh - you can't recycle entire test chambers like you can corridors in which to shoot people. All the same, it's a solid game for a solid price, and it will only get better after the SDK is released and some map makers start making the really challenging maps. If you've played the Portal 1 Flash Map Pack, you know what I'm talking about. Also, a note about the DLC. Yeah, no one really wants to pay real money for an e-hat. So don't. /v/ just hates video games, so they''ll trash anything they can. It's nice to see supporters of the game come out and give this game a deserving score, which isn't necessarily a 10 for everyone, but it's definitely not a 0-3. Valve did it again (and I was really skeptical about whether a full game could be made from the simple premise of Portal). Good work.
  87. Apr 23, 2011
    Really getting a little bit hipster-y with the reviews here, guys. It doesn't matter if it seems forced and over-hyped IF it is an incredible game, but a lot of people don't seem to want to admit that; it's more fun to bash a company that seems to have "sold out". Same to all the pissbuckets that are mad over buying the Potato Sack for a slightly earlier release: you got a slightly earlierReally getting a little bit hipster-y with the reviews here, guys. It doesn't matter if it seems forced and over-hyped IF it is an incredible game, but a lot of people don't seem to want to admit that; it's more fun to bash a company that seems to have "sold out". Same to all the pissbuckets that are mad over buying the Potato Sack for a slightly earlier release: you got a slightly earlier release and got a bunch of top notch indie games for a steeply discounted price.

Now, to the actual game. The puzzles are just as clever as those from the original, and the extra elements just make them a bit more interesting to figure out (actually, executing the puzzles is more fun as well, seeing that you can now fly around quite a bit more, what with the aerial faith plates and repulsion gel).
    The storytelling seems to be some of the most solid in a videogame yet. No interactivity with the storyline, and yet it still seems more emotionally engaging then most other games that force a "moral decision" (see Bioshock, a great game that executed morality terribly).

Hey, didn't people also hate on another Valve sequel at launch? One that's pretty much the benchmark for FPS nowadays? Because of something trivial and unrelated to the game itself? And didn't that hate carry over to initial consumer opinions? Yeah.
  88. Apr 23, 2011
    Portal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and StephenPortal 2 is a much more accessible and refined gaming experience which will appeal to a larger audience. It still feels like Portal and your manipulation of these doorways through space are the main reason. The games real triumph is in taking game animation and voice recording to a whole new level. Valve deserve their comparisons to Pixar for this work of genius. JK Simmons and Stephen Merchant provide excellent performances doing the writing justice. Portal 2 is a hilarious, dark sci-fi comedy with real heart. This game will give you much more playtime than the first game and is a fuller realisation, a complete game. It is not only the game of the year but a benchmark for which game developers should aim for. Expand
  89. Apr 24, 2011
    Story comes to the forefront a bit more in this than the previous Portals. The puzzles aren't all that difficult but they are challenging and keep the story moving. Hopefully now that they've moved the story on they can release some good challenging DLC. Not sure what all the hate is there for, this is an excellent product by a great studio. A must play for any gamer in 2011.
  90. Apr 24, 2011
    One of the best games out there. Not just for Valve/Portal fans, but anyone who likes puzzles games and witty dialogue will enjoy it. I really haven't found a valid complaint about it. The characters are great and, while the first few levels are a little slow story-wise, it eventually picks up pace. And that's not to say those levels are bad, still fun puzzles and interesting remarks fromOne of the best games out there. Not just for Valve/Portal fans, but anyone who likes puzzles games and witty dialogue will enjoy it. I really haven't found a valid complaint about it. The characters are great and, while the first few levels are a little slow story-wise, it eventually picks up pace. And that's not to say those levels are bad, still fun puzzles and interesting remarks from GLaDOS. The game is fairly short, some say only 4 hours but most I know finish in 6 to 8, but after that you still have co-op, which if you haven't tried, you really need to. A lot of teamwork, but it's a ton of fun and you still have GLaDOS with her sarcastic remarks. Yes, the did have the Potato Sack, but even if you didn't like that it doesn't affect the actual game. Oh, no, DLC. All it is though is aesthetics for your co-op bot. It doesn't make Valve evil to try and make some money, and really it's great that it doesn't do anything to the actual gameplay. Expand
  91. Apr 24, 2011
    This game is just awesome! It's a bit overpriced for what it offers, but it's just awesome. You never get bored of playing it. Maybe a bit bored over Single Player but never bored of Co-Op since you always play with different people and there's always something different. Again, awesome game!!!
  92. Apr 24, 2011
    9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application9/10, why? Let me break it down for you. +10 for being the most enjoyable gaming experience of my entire life, and that includes the amazing co-op feature which is completely out of this world, and -1 for being Steam only, because Steam is a HUGE pain in the back-side. I bought my copy 2 days after release and still had to download 800 megabytes of updates before the Steam application would let me play a game which I paid for with my own money, and on my slow North Welsh internet connection it took about 3 hours of pure downloading, rendering the internet useless for everyone else on my network. Expand
  93. Apr 24, 2011
    valve always makes great games this is on exception portal2 expands on everything portal did and introduced characters that I will remember for a while. Good job valve, forget about the computer purest who are angry with the smallest things and make games like this again you are one of the few gaming company trying to move gaming forward and I applaud you. Thanks
  94. Apr 25, 2011
    Whether you like puzzle games or just enjoy good writing / voice acting / overall presentation - play Portal 2.

I write this review because a user score of 8.2 is still too low for this gem.
  95. Apr 25, 2011
    I've finished the game few minutes ago. What to say? Epic. Just epic. Valve had done an incredible work. One of the most amazing games out there. Fantastic plot and funny dialogues, deep and humorous characters. Game play is perfect and Co op is a funny and challenging addiction. And I didn't understand all that people that say Portal 2 is short. For me a 15 hours game is more thanI've finished the game few minutes ago. What to say? Epic. Just epic. Valve had done an incredible work. One of the most amazing games out there. Fantastic plot and funny dialogues, deep and humorous characters. Game play is perfect and Co op is a funny and challenging addiction. And I didn't understand all that people that say Portal 2 is short. For me a 15 hours game is more than acceptable, considering how great it is throughout the story. Congratulations Valve! Expand
  96. Apr 25, 2011
    I am giving Portal 2 a score of 10 by comparing it to other games that I have played, not of any game that could ever have been made.

Portal 2 is a fantastic homage to Portal. Although Portal was itself an amazing game, I felt it lacked polish in places and had a lot of potential. Portal 2 realizes that potential; It is a beautiful looking game, has fantastic music and plays perfectly. The puzzles are intuitive and incredibly rewarding and like the original game, Valve gently nudges you towards a correct solution subtly enough to reward your ego handsomely. I'm also certain that you have a degree of freedom in how you complete some puzzles, in that you don't have to exactly follow the clearly defined path to arrive at a solution, allowing those with more abstract thought processes to progress through the game as well. Little touches, such as music being augmented at a certain point in the game as you interact with something, or do something in particular, lead the game to be incredibly immersive. On top of the fantastic story line, and tinted sense of humor carried over from Portal, this makes for a thoroughly fresh experience in comparison to the majority of games released recently.

The only particular critique I have with the game, is that I didn't want it to end. But games can't last forever, and the cooperative experience is fantastic. I had a quick look at the in game shop to check out some of the clothing you can buy, didn't find it appealing, and ignored it.

I can't really give Portal 2 a lower score because it 'Wasn't long enough'; It easily gives you over 10 hours of play time initially, and if you're like me, you'll probably play through the campaign a second or third time, to try and solve puzzles in different ways, or find Easter eggs and glitches. Not only that, but Valve are releasing the Portal 2 SDK, allowing users to create their own maps to play in Portal 2. I expect that the community will contribute some amazing puzzles, further increasing the life span of the game. As such, you not only get the campaign play time, but as you hear about a certain map that is fantastic every week or so, you will keep coming back to the game, and enjoy fresh, free content.

Valve have achieved everything I hoped they would, and I feel Portal 2 thoroughly deserves the score I have awarded it.
  97. Apr 25, 2011
    From beginning to end I was having as much fun as any game has provided for me. The puzzles were challenging but solvable, the mechanics are as strong as ever and they added so much to the game without making it convoluted, the story was engaging with brilliant characters and voice acting (Steven Merchant just topped it off). It was a nice length this time (the first portal was veryFrom beginning to end I was having as much fun as any game has provided for me. The puzzles were challenging but solvable, the mechanics are as strong as ever and they added so much to the game without making it convoluted, the story was engaging with brilliant characters and voice acting (Steven Merchant just topped it off). It was a nice length this time (the first portal was very short). Overall it just seemed like a game that the developers really cared about when making. It's only April but I doubt I play a better game this year. Expand
  98. Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't finished the game, actually I'm on part when Cave Johnson's voice leads you. Portal is more more awesome than I expected. Great story with great characters. First Portal I finished many many times and I wanted more! Then Valve released radio achievement and I was sure that Portal 2 comes soon. I bought it month before premiere and I was very angry when courier came to my houseI haven't finished the game, actually I'm on part when Cave Johnson's voice leads you. Portal is more more awesome than I expected. Great story with great characters. First Portal I finished many many times and I wanted more! Then Valve released radio achievement and I was sure that Portal 2 comes soon. I bought it month before premiere and I was very angry when courier came to my house and nobody heard intercom and I have to wait one long day for second delivery. In my opinion Portal 2 is same epic as first Portal. It have great graphic and awesome soundtrack. Expand
  99. Apr 25, 2011
    Fantastic fun, very entertaining, Cave Johnson was the best. Single player wasn't as difficult as I was hoping but mulitplayer definitely provides challenges.
  100. Apr 19, 2011
    The amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get theThe amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get the achievements. And that's without touching co-op. How can you even call cosmetic hats DLC? Here's a hint: just don't buy them. Your game experience will be completely unchanged. The only people who should have a problem with this are exactly the kind of morons who see shiny digital horse armor and have some strange compulsive nature that forces them to buy it.

Don't even know what they're talking about with "Please don't turn off your console." Never saw it, and the game doesn't feel like a port at all.

After L4D2 I was worried that Valve know longer knew how to make a sequel as good as or better than its predecessor, but here they've clearly done the latter. The gameplay is better (hard light trails, gels and excursion funnels add a ton of depth) and the humor is better. But maybe that's the real reason why the haters are so mad, because there's no easily identifiable meme line to clutch onto and propagate ad nauseum like "the cake is a lie" (Ugh, that got old so fast).

1. Oct 20, 2011