Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Sep 8, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Portal 2 is puzzels if you like puzzle in levels play it. The action .... what action is 0% perhaps the last of end game. i need to say its fun at start ofcourse its a new game. But its easy to play the story is fun and offcourse the humor. Its a good game when you are done playing solo or co-op the game is over and not word paying 50 bugs for it wait when the game is below 20 because you play it 1 time nothing more nothing less. Expand
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Very good game.
    But it lacks some spirit from 1st Portal (just one small piece).
    Sarcastic, good looking and sounding.
    I love you, GLADOS! (thats why i kill you)
  3. Jun 8, 2012
    There are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want toThere are few games that come around like Portal 2. A genius mechanic comes to an amazing mind, and is used the best ways one could. The people at Valve have created a game that topped any game I have ever played before in my entire life. The writing, graphics, gameplay, story, presentation, voice acting, lasting appeal and replay value; Portal 2 is a gem. A priceless gem. I just want to get this out there. We've all thought up of the idea of Portal befrore. Don't try to hide it. We've seen it on TV, thought about and made it funny when we were in 2nd grade, and it HAS been seen on shows like Looney Toons and Ed, Edd, n' Eddy. But none of us had put the concept into action. So when Valve did some observing, it hit them, and they created one of the greatest games ever made. Valve knows how to make a sequel. Other game deveelopers just decide to take the formula, and slap it onto the next game. But Portal does more than that. They added a beeter story, prettier graphics, and even made it funny. Valve knows how to make us feel good. They added Wheatley, one of the greatest characters ever to be apart of a video game. He is voiced excellently by british funny man Stephen Merchant, and I can't get enough of him. Sure, GLaDOS has some lines too, but Whetaley ultimatley steals the show. The classic portal gun is back, but 3 new mecahanics freshen up the experience. This time, there are 3 different gels to mess around with and help you finish the test chamber. The blue gell makes you bounce, the orange gell makes you speedy so you can fly off rails, and white gell allows you to shoot portals on previously portal resistant sufaces. Top that with excellent design an amazing difficulty curve and countless suprises in the chambers, you can't help but admire the beauty in it all. Since the events of Portal 1, aoerture science has been abandoned for decades, and there are a lot of green plants growing everywhere. GLaDOS will be moving panels, and tryong to clean the place up, and what she will do to try and kill you is unpredictable. You will not only hear GLaDOS and Wheatley throughout though. Even the narrator in aperture has things to say to you. The narrator is not always the same voice. I could be some one random, or it could be Cave Johnson, the founder of aperture himself. The variety is quit welcome. The puzzels themselves can have you thinking a lot. It's not trail and error here. It might look real hard at first, but yoiu'll never feel left behind because the difficulty increases at a steady rate throughout. The single player campagin can last about 5-7 hours, depending weather or not you rush. Then there's Co-Op. If you're friend is a socially stubborn douche, nothing will work out here. If someone just decides to stand in the corner and do nothing after an argument, you can't do anything. You HAVE to get along with your partner. It will take you thinking, team-work and trust to get through each chamber, and while it might stress you out sometimes, as the difficulty is tuned up, it is just as great as the campagin. Speaking of goin g through test chambers, that's the game's one problem. The loading screens pop up after every test chamber, change of enviorment and somtimes cutscene. They aren't too long, but they pop up frquenly, especially in the begining. But that won't stop Portal 2 from being one of the best games I've ever played in my entire life. It is so inventive and genius, you'll think about it for days. I don't understand why you're still reading this review. Go out and but Portal 2 NOW!!! You won't regret it. Expand
  4. Jun 17, 2012
    Excellent! Almost can't even put a value on it. Superb writing, story, and humor. Awesome environments and animations. Wonderful gameplay. Some of the new testing components got me annoyed. Just so much goodness...
  5. Feb 26, 2014
    Very fun and engaging....right up until you fall into the "wasteland basement". Not spoiling anything, but the game goes on to long which is an unusual complaint from me. I was enthralled and engaged, then I was ... kinda bored? Still a great game and worthy of the PORTAL name.
  6. Nov 5, 2015
    1. cool graphics 2. cool mysterys 3. cool characters 4. unexpected end (cool) 5. cool new character 6. cool story 7. cool idea 8. cool... Glados is back !!! A total of coooooool.
  7. Dec 12, 2012
    This game is just perfect and it actually creates a genre of its own (It is NOT an fps). You can't call yourself a gamer and never played this real masterpiece. This game has real good graphic, stimulates your intelligence (yes you actually require some of it to play and appreciate portal) and is full of humor. I think every kind of gamer will love this game. Another Valve great success..
  8. Apr 19, 2011
    I'm only giving this game a 10 to offset the petty 0's. I'd normally give it an 8 or 9. First off, hats =/= DLC. I find it insane someone would pay $.50 for a hat, let alone $5... but if they want to pay for it, let them eat their cake. It really is much ado about absolutely nothing. I am surprised at the amount of kids (presumably) throwing temper tantrums about something so trivial.I'm only giving this game a 10 to offset the petty 0's. I'd normally give it an 8 or 9. First off, hats =/= DLC. I find it insane someone would pay $.50 for a hat, let alone $5... but if they want to pay for it, let them eat their cake. It really is much ado about absolutely nothing. I am surprised at the amount of kids (presumably) throwing temper tantrums about something so trivial.

Everything else about the game is excellent. It's exactly what Portal fans wanted. Longer story, multiplayer, expanded SDK. But I feel the same way I felt about Starcraft 2 and Fallout:New Vegas. It wasn't different enough to warrant a party, let alone cake.
  9. Apr 20, 2011
    If anyone tries to tell you Portal 2 isn't a good game, stop them right there, run to your nearest game store, and buy it right away. It's absolutely fantastic. The original 2007 title was amazing, but this is just so much better, with so many new additions and a much larger scale. It's also a lot tougher than the previous game, so be prepared for a brain-twisting challenge. One of theIf anyone tries to tell you Portal 2 isn't a good game, stop them right there, run to your nearest game store, and buy it right away. It's absolutely fantastic. The original 2007 title was amazing, but this is just so much better, with so many new additions and a much larger scale. It's also a lot tougher than the previous game, so be prepared for a brain-twisting challenge. One of the best games of 2011 thus far... It's official, Valve officially knows how to make a good game. The proved it with Half-Life, Team Fortress, Left 4 Dead, and now with a sequel to Portal, so it's safe to say we can all trust them to being a great developer. Expand
  10. May 15, 2011
    Graphics are OK. The game can be easily maxed out with a mid-range GPU. Dialogues are excellent, guaranteed to crack you up. Sound effects are very crisp and fits well within the environment. Never saw any game breaker bugs or whatsoever. A game that requires me to use my brain? Oh yes, it deserves nothing less than a 10/10.
  11. Feb 2, 2012
    I dont think this game is particularly amazing, it obviously draws alot from the first game and tries to keep it fresh but whilst playing it I wasnt particuarly keen to keep playing more to just get to the end and be done with it. It is long enough defininetly but heres my issues with it: The 'old' sections get boring fast, I feel they could of made that section so much better. TheI dont think this game is particularly amazing, it obviously draws alot from the first game and tries to keep it fresh but whilst playing it I wasnt particuarly keen to keep playing more to just get to the end and be done with it. It is long enough defininetly but heres my issues with it: The 'old' sections get boring fast, I feel they could of made that section so much better. The introduction of gels ruins the experience for me, it just doesnt fit into the flow of the game and it seems they were added as they ran out of things to do with blocks and portals. The plot in general is not that good..... but despite this it is still a worthy game just not incredible and most definitely not GOTY. Expand
  12. Oct 19, 2011
    This is a solid puzzle game, but I don't think it is quite as good as the original Portal. There is enough new stuff to make the puzzles challenging, fun and interesting, but I think that Valve play up to the success of the original by re-hashing what people loved about it. I also found Stephen Merchant's voice/character to be really annoying and out of place...I think it should have beenThis is a solid puzzle game, but I don't think it is quite as good as the original Portal. There is enough new stuff to make the puzzles challenging, fun and interesting, but I think that Valve play up to the success of the original by re-hashing what people loved about it. I also found Stephen Merchant's voice/character to be really annoying and out of place...I think it should have been robotic sounding like all the others. Where the first game used mystery to draw you into it's world, Portal 2 dispels all that mystery by taking you into the depths of Aperture Science and it's past. I didn't find the story anywhere near as funny or as engaging as the original Portal, but it was still entertaining for the most part. For the most part, the environments and graphics were great looking, I think that Valve's Source engine can still hold it's own. The scripted creation/destruction in the levels is almost always impressive looking. I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, so I can't comment on that, but the in-game store selling stuff that really should have been part of the game is a bit cheap of Valve imo. It's definitely not their strongest title and it doesn't surpass the original, but if you enjoyed the original and like puzzle games you could do much worse. Expand
  13. Jul 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is an overall fun experience. Based on how much me and my friends giggled and laughed aloud, it was funny. Portal 2 may not appeal to all Portal fans, but if you can look over some of the changes, the game is great fun for everyone. Pick it up when you can, and have a friend for the Co-op campaign.
  14. Oct 20, 2011
    Portal 2 - an amazing game... not. I found it a bit boring after playing a couple of tests, it doesnt keep me playing too long to realise how to do the tests. It took me 8.2 hours to pass it but its not all negative. The end its simply the best ive ever seen in a game and the liked the characters in the game. All this and i only give 7 out of 10, sorry.
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    Portal 2 is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Though some levels are challenging, everything is perfect, with the perfect amount of humor but still plenty of tension. The characters are perfect and the storyline is brilliantly plotted. Everyone should own this game no matter what genre you prefer. Only about 10 hours of playing time for the story but plenty more in thePortal 2 is probably one of the best games I have ever played. Though some levels are challenging, everything is perfect, with the perfect amount of humor but still plenty of tension. The characters are perfect and the storyline is brilliantly plotted. Everyone should own this game no matter what genre you prefer. Only about 10 hours of playing time for the story but plenty more in the co-op mode. Amazing game, must have. Expand
  16. Apr 26, 2017
    1 – GENERAL

1 – GENERAL

Portal 2 is a very funny puzzle platformer that you play in first person perspective. For starters, do not do like me. Despite being a puzzle game, the story behind the game is at least as compelling as the adrenaline rush of solving that new puzzle, and this game is packed full of references to the first game of the franchise. So, save some time if you have never played the first game and go play it, then return here. Leave this review paused in the background.

So the story... yeah, it's awesome. Full of twists, very, very funny. And the voice acting? Probably the best I've seen in a game. I admit I was always waiting for the lines from some of the characters, and sometimes I would just stop playing just to listen to all of it.

The game is not young and it runs in a even older engine, but the visuals are still sharp. You can spot bad textures here and there, and probably nothing shines from today's standards but you will have the general feeling of quality, and the game has no reasons to be ashamed.

2 – GAMEPLAY

How do you play this? You have a portal gun that... shoots portals. It sounds strange but it's quite clever actually, and after the first 2 or 3 puzzles you can handle the mechanics perfectly. Valve introduces new mechanics regularly, like bouncing gel, or speed gel, or cubes or lasers. It's a very intelligent way of keeping the game fresh and interesting. You never feel overwhelmed with mechanics since you will learn them one at a time.

All the levels are very fair. You can start by looking to a chamber and thinking that there's no way you can solve that puzzle, but then you start to do something, and gradually the solution will come, and that's very rewarding. I admit I've never got that feeling of being intelligent but the opposite. Most likely I ended up thinking that the solution was very simple, it was just hidden in plain sight. And that's another positive aspect of the game.

You have a co-op mode where you can play with other player to solve problems with the double of the portals. I've never could progress much in that mode since all the players logged of one or two puzzles after starting.

But the campaign alone is enough to buy this game, and you will still have tons of fun, even considering that the replay value is not high, at least for me.

3 – CONCLUSION

This game totally worth the pricetag. You have story, narrative, gameplay, co-op, sci-fi, puzzles and very fun moments in the same game. This is probably one of the best games I've ever played, and ofc I recommend it!
  17. Apr 21, 2011
    Okay... I've already given Portal 1 10, so I will just say my score out. Portal was worth about 96% to me, and Portal 2 was just 10 times better. If you thought Portal was awesome or even only good, then this will blow your mind! This game hits every beat correctly, the gameplay is so addictive that you'll want to play the whole singleplayer again, just for the dialouge. The wit and humorOkay... I've already given Portal 1 10, so I will just say my score out. Portal was worth about 96% to me, and Portal 2 was just 10 times better. If you thought Portal was awesome or even only good, then this will blow your mind! This game hits every beat correctly, the gameplay is so addictive that you'll want to play the whole singleplayer again, just for the dialouge. The wit and humor of all robots has shown us what Valve are capable of. For the amount of hype is delivers and it delivers very well. Totally worth the $50.00 price tag on Steam (That's nearly half as much as a typical AAA game such as Homefront or Call of Duty: Black Ops, and it's double as good.). So to me my final verdict is 98% (not as good as HL2 but very high up.). Great game Valve! Expand
  18. Dec 9, 2011
    There's really nothing I can add to the 2400 other reviews here. Portal 2 is really amazing, both in single player and co-op. One should really play Portal first, to get the appropriate context (and a slightly more gentle introduction to the portal mechanics).

The voice acting, visuals, and story are all extremely good, and of course the gameplay is classic Portal with some fun new additions.
  19. Apr 26, 2012
    One of the best games i've played and the best Valve game ever. The soundtrack and history is amazing and Gameplay is revolucionary. Congratulations, Valve! You make one of the best games ever
  20. Jun 15, 2011
    It gets an 7 for being unique. But aside from that, it's too similar to Portal 1, and it's too short. The amount of game time you get to play is minimal, a few hours at most before your done. The puzzles are not overly challenging, and it's gets boring after an hour of play or so. The game is unique, but aside from that there's not that much to it.
  21. Nov 30, 2011
    portal 1: I just couldn't stop playing
    portal 2: speechless, wow, awesome, beautiful, great.....One of the best ******* thing i ever played in my entire life, dude, omg, i love vale and his awesome games
  22. Oct 26, 2011
    Incredible amount IF you are into puzzle solving and semi-complex humor (which I am). The story unfolds very well, ridiculous amount of laughs and the Graphics of the Source engine have been improved enough to no make it sub-par. A hands-down recommendation to anyone who has enjoyed Portal or any puzzle platformer etc ... Nice thing with Valve is you get free DLC and maps at a decent rateIncredible amount IF you are into puzzle solving and semi-complex humor (which I am). The story unfolds very well, ridiculous amount of laughs and the Graphics of the Source engine have been improved enough to no make it sub-par. A hands-down recommendation to anyone who has enjoyed Portal or any puzzle platformer etc ... Nice thing with Valve is you get free DLC and maps at a decent rate and coop with a friend can be amazing fun. Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2011
    Portal 2 delivers a great single player and probably the finest example of a fun puzzle co-op game to date.
    The source engine while is showing it's age is being pushed to it's very limits to provide some beautiful visuals and while the core gameplay mechanics remain very much true to the first game everything is expanded on and some great new physics features added providing entire newly scopes to the puzzles.
  24. Oct 10, 2012
    Awesome game, especially if you loved or played Portal 1. This game is far longer and I wouldn't say it is as revolutionary as the first one but it does add large amounts of new fun and interesting content. Love the voice acting. Only complaint is that it can hurt your eyes a little in the later parts of the game. The people who have played it will know what I'm talking about...SometimesAwesome game, especially if you loved or played Portal 1. This game is far longer and I wouldn't say it is as revolutionary as the first one but it does add large amounts of new fun and interesting content. Love the voice acting. Only complaint is that it can hurt your eyes a little in the later parts of the game. The people who have played it will know what I'm talking about...Sometimes the wall you need to see is not very visible... Expand
  25. Jul 5, 2013
    For some reason the best thing in this charming puzzle game is the dialogue. Sure, the puzzles are quite engaging and stuff but Portal 2 would be a 7 at max if there wasnt this brilliant writing and equally great voice acting. The addition of co-op is great but it isnt so hard when you have two people thinking what to do. The PC version is by far the best one thanks to Steam Workshop and aFor some reason the best thing in this charming puzzle game is the dialogue. Sure, the puzzles are quite engaging and stuff but Portal 2 would be a 7 at max if there wasnt this brilliant writing and equally great voice acting. The addition of co-op is great but it isnt so hard when you have two people thinking what to do. The PC version is by far the best one thanks to Steam Workshop and a 75% sale every 3 days.

8.7 for PC
    8.0 for consoles.
  26. Sep 28, 2014
    This probably has to be the best game I've ever played, from the script to the voice acting, to the graphics and the way you play the game. It is a challenging 'puzzle' game which involves going through one portal and coming out of the other one, only YOU have to chose where they go.

The game is about a company named Aperture science who are using humans to test their latest invention, the portal gun. The story is about you, and a little robot named Wheatley who tries to save you from the evil robot GLaDOS, but the tables turn and GLaDOS tries to save you from Wheatley, only to find out she was a test subject too!

Finally there is a whole new game when it comes to the co-op aspect of the game, you and your buddy are two silly robots with portal guns!

Have fun!
  27. Mar 13, 2016
    It's fun, challenging and mind-bending. There's not allot of games I'd put above this one, it's a flawless masterpiece. It's got a great story, fun co-op, satisfying puzzles, and memorable characters.
  28. Apr 19, 2011
    I really don't know what is up with the negative reviews. Yes, it's more expensive. But I played this last night and it was awesome fun since the last one in 2007. I was skeptical at first as well, but the great voice acting once again and the new game mechanics proved me wrong.
  29. Apr 23, 2011
    Absolutely wonderful. Keeps you on your toes, varies its visual style much more than the first Portal, is three times longer (it took me about 9 hours to complete not rushing), has even more easter eggs and lovely hidden things to find, doesn't stop throwing funny dialogue at you, challenges you more, offers more gameplay variety without breaking anything and everything is balanced nearlyAbsolutely wonderful. Keeps you on your toes, varies its visual style much more than the first Portal, is three times longer (it took me about 9 hours to complete not rushing), has even more easter eggs and lovely hidden things to find, doesn't stop throwing funny dialogue at you, challenges you more, offers more gameplay variety without breaking anything and everything is balanced nearly perfectly. I can't think of much at all that is at fault, and I have only played co-op for a little bit so far.

I also started playing through with developer commentary and the opening sequence took them 92 days to complete. This is a labour of love guys, and it shows, it's non-stop hilarity and wonder throughout and has beaten Half-Life 2 to my favourite game of all time. It's gonna be a while until someone beats this in my mind.

There are people complaining? I'm bewildered. Truly.
  30. Oct 5, 2011
    I've beat both Portal and Portal 2. Portal 1 is ok, and my favourite of the 2. Portal 2 is pretty boring, tedious, and is extremely drawn out for what it is. The hype surrounding this game is just that... hype.
  31. May 10, 2011
    The good: Great writing and presentation, awesome new mechanics, and just a real ambition for what a game can do.

The bad: Short, less replayability than the first as this game focuses more on puzzles than action and acrobatics, and inevitable but perhaps still disappointing: P2 can't possibly recreate the surprise of P1 when discovering that what looked to be an amusing little puzzle game was actually packed with story, characterization and top notch dark humor.
  32. Jan 27, 2013
    An incredible puzzle game with a hilarious and entertaining story. I was riveted the entire time I played, and while a bit short, it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had while playing a videogame. It looks great, but more importantly has engaging puzzles and humor that will make this game playable for many years even after it looks like garbage compared to the games of theAn incredible puzzle game with a hilarious and entertaining story. I was riveted the entire time I played, and while a bit short, it was one of the greatest experiences I've ever had while playing a videogame. It looks great, but more importantly has engaging puzzles and humor that will make this game playable for many years even after it looks like garbage compared to the games of the future.

If you enjoy solving puzzles to any degree then this game is for you. If you were thinking this was an action based shooter simply from looking at a screenshot or two then you might be a sad panda.
  33. Apr 22, 2011
    This game was fantastic. Don't listen to the whiners who expect the impossible out of a game. I agree with the Kotaku article--gamers are simply developing expectations that are unrealistically high. This game was incredibly fun, engaging, the co-op is perfect, I haven't seen one bug, and the story is engaging. What more do you want? The game is too quick, but it's not as good as Portal 1?This game was fantastic. Don't listen to the whiners who expect the impossible out of a game. I agree with the Kotaku article--gamers are simply developing expectations that are unrealistically high. This game was incredibly fun, engaging, the co-op is perfect, I haven't seen one bug, and the story is engaging. What more do you want? The game is too quick, but it's not as good as Portal 1? This game is three times as long, and with co-op puzzles that aren't anywhere in the single player game. Grow. UP. Expand
  34. Apr 24, 2011
    Have only played the single player campaign. This is a very worthy sequel to the creative Portal 1. The core of the game is still solving puzzles, but they have added a number of new mechanics. The length is much longer, the storyline is better and the humor is even sharper than the original. The environment is improved beyond the sterile laboratory setting (although you'll still seeHave only played the single player campaign. This is a very worthy sequel to the creative Portal 1. The core of the game is still solving puzzles, but they have added a number of new mechanics. The length is much longer, the storyline is better and the humor is even sharper than the original. The environment is improved beyond the sterile laboratory setting (although you'll still see plenty.) Voice acting by Ellen McClain, Stephen Merchant, and J.K. Simmons deliver some excellent and memorable lines.
    Cons: not much. The experiments occasionally become repetitive, while the new game mechanics- gels and light constructs- do not seem to be used to their full advantage. Level design outside the test chambers occasionally becomes confusing, a trade-off of Valve's tendency for realistic level design. Although you might get tired of the puzzles, this time around you'll keep playing for the dialogue and story.
  35. Apr 19, 2011
    I had to make an account for this game to combat the angry nerds dragging down portal 2's score, and write an actual review (which nobody seems to actually write these days)

First: to address the concerns of angry ranting kids who think this game deserves a "0" or "1" score based on playtime, DLC, or cost. Games cost $60 now. 1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it

1.) playtime - This is a 6-10 hour game. If you can pull it off in less, you're very clever first time around. Don't criticize a game paced around a player's mental capacity (I'd say I'm good with physics and a quick learner, and it took me about six hours to complete the single player) This also excludes the concept of co-op. Which is an entirely different, 6-10 hour game. Unless you have no friends (which I'm fairly certain is the case, if you are in any way put off by this game) then this game easily trounces many of the other titles out there for the cost. People are acting as if Portal 1 was a long game. It wasn't. it was an hour or two at best. This is easily a fully fledged single player game. You have the single player (full game) co-op (also a full game) and the developer commentary (which any self-respecting nerd will do, also a full playthrough)

2.) DLC: I'm going to be honest, this could be a negative box, but hear me out. I just don't understand why the dlc costs so much money. $0.50? Sure, I'd buy $5 worth. But some individual pieces approach the $10.00 mark. It also makes little sense in a game that isn't built around playing with lots of other random players, like Team Fortress 2 is. You buy the DLC because you want other players to see how fancy you look. But the great thing is that if you don't buy it, there is no influence on gameplay whatsoever. Consider this: If valve simply didn't include any DLC and just gave you the two robots with nothing from the current DLC selection, not a single player would be whining about a lack of anything. So it's a boon for some players, and has no impact on the rest.

3.) Cost. Games are $60 now. Not $50. It's been a long time coming (and seriously, everything else on earth gets more expensive, and games have gotten -cheaper- over the past 20 years? Inflation happens.) and this is in no way a "minigame" with a big price tag. It's $45. that's 25% less than COD black ops. And it's got roughly twice the content. If you are the type who complains about full-length games dripping with polish and fabulous content costing 25% less than the industry standard, feel free to flush your head in the toilet. Or wait until it comes on sale (hello? this is STEAM. They'll put it on sale in two weeks.)

That said, let's actually review the game. If Blizzard is to great cutscenes, Valve is to great characters. There's no way I could imagine any other game designer giving a little sphere so much capability to display emotion with nothing but small rotating rings. The sheer amount of polish here defies logic as much the portal gun defies physics. I was expecting a shiny game. What I got was a whole world, expansive, with painstaking attention to the slightest detail, irregardless of whether or not the player will even see it. From the opening seconds to the final battle, there isn't a single dull moment.

The voice acting is second to none. There are only a few voices in the game, but they're all played to the level of the greatest shakespearean comedy. No, you didn't read that wrong. This is a tragic comedy unlike anything gaming has ever seen. There is something satisfying about knowing that the voice for your arch-nemesis was picked because she is a trained operatic soprano.

Gameplay wise, there is nothing reused that hasn't been thoroughly rethought, modified, and polished. A playthrough with the developer commentary will demonstrate how much painstaking work and effort was put into this game. The new mechanics do not feel cheesy, they feel perfectly at home in the portal world. I found myself thinking "how did they make puzzles WITHOUT all of these amazing new toys in the first place?" I won't spoil the mechanics, but it's safe to say that the puzzles are even more perfect than Portal's. They're challenging without being frustrating. There is no trace of "console-itis" anywhere. Anyone saying there is, was deliberately looking for it and ignoring the astounding world. You still feel that same sense of reward from figuring out the "trick." The puzzles are as much exploring and learning each component as blind trial and error, which is outright gameplay magic. The final boss was unchallenging, but still felt tense and frantic, and was just as deeply satisfying as the first time you laid hands on the fancy dual-portal gun.

If I had a negative point about the game, it would be the loading screens. There are lots of them. But on the whole, this is easily - very, very easily, one of the best games of all time, dripping with polish, humor, cleverness, and brilliant gameplay. And I do not say that lightly.
  36. Aug 13, 2011
    best game I have ever played. creative game play, nice puzzle design. plot is pretty good. I think it will make half-life 2 - ep3 difficult to against this game.
  37. Aug 22, 2011
    well, the sequel is here, and i enjoyed it! its pretty much portal 1, except more of it. new puzzle elements and longer levels are a nice addition, better graphics are a plus, and the new characters are fun. sadly though, i don't think its any better than the first portal. the first was incredibly challenging and mind bending. it took me forever to figure out some of the puzzles in it, andwell, the sequel is here, and i enjoyed it! its pretty much portal 1, except more of it. new puzzle elements and longer levels are a nice addition, better graphics are a plus, and the new characters are fun. sadly though, i don't think its any better than the first portal. the first was incredibly challenging and mind bending. it took me forever to figure out some of the puzzles in it, and thats good! but when i played portal 2 and beat it, i sat and thought, "wait, thats it? no more puzzles? its over?" and the credits rolled. needless to say, i was sort of disappointed. it seemed too easy and too short, despite it being longer. fortunately, i played coop with my buddies, and i found some really creative and challenging puzzles, that took actual COOPERATION to solve, and i think thats the point of coop, right? in general, i thought it was fun, but too easy. but that doesn't mean bad. Expand
  38. Aug 6, 2012
    3+/5 (Kinda good)

There is alot to like in Portal 2, but there is also something that makes it KINDA "meh": I've already been excited ONCE by the "portal mechanic". It was called PORTAL 1. Now, you've GOT to give me something MORE!

Apparently, the "more" part is multiplayer, but I haven't tried it! So I'll say the game is kinda good!

Try it if it seems interesting to you!
  39. Jul 21, 2013
    Game has a great story, Simple logic and toughtfull puzzles. Good atmosphare and tons of easter eggs to find out.(that means look every sing e CORNER) the game is based on using 2 portals by the blue and orange portal. when you go true orange portal u get to blue portal exit and when you go to blue portal you get to orange exit. With 2 of these portals you nead to slove puzzles in aGame has a great story, Simple logic and toughtfull puzzles. Good atmosphare and tons of easter eggs to find out.(that means look every sing e CORNER) the game is based on using 2 portals by the blue and orange portal. when you go true orange portal u get to blue portal exit and when you go to blue portal you get to orange exit. With 2 of these portals you nead to slove puzzles in a atmospharic and fun way. The story is prety well and you can build your own test chambers... you only nead to think with portals. You can play gam single player or coop, You can also play on campaing or comunity maps in bought type.You will find your self thinking a lot with your friends. Expand
  40. Apr 28, 2011
    This game is nothing short of fantastic, I stood up all night waiting for it to come out, and when it released... everyone on steam went mad. All my friends quickly started up the game and played for hours straight, and I did the same. I finished the game in 10 hours and the puzzles in Portal 2 are much harder than the first Portal, and I just love it. The ending is nothing short ofThis game is nothing short of fantastic, I stood up all night waiting for it to come out, and when it released... everyone on steam went mad. All my friends quickly started up the game and played for hours straight, and I did the same. I finished the game in 10 hours and the puzzles in Portal 2 are much harder than the first Portal, and I just love it. The ending is nothing short of Jaw-dropping, since it is completely un-expected, but i wont spoil it :D. The multiplayer is very funny also if you have a great friend if you want to play with, since you are always having to deal with the urge to kill your partner :D. There is so much about this game that I love, VALVE is showing the world that PC gaming is not dead! Expand
  41. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily the best game I've played so far this year. This game exceeded my expectations in almost every way (which is saying a lot, my expectations were quite high). The characters are amazing, the story equally so, and all the dark humor that made the first one so enjoyable has been absolutely perfected in the sequel. Yes, the single-player story might be a tad on the short side (I believeEasily the best game I've played so far this year. This game exceeded my expectations in almost every way (which is saying a lot, my expectations were quite high). The characters are amazing, the story equally so, and all the dark humor that made the first one so enjoyable has been absolutely perfected in the sequel. Yes, the single-player story might be a tad on the short side (I believe I finished up in 6-7 hours without rushing), but I'm a firm believer in quality of quantity. To give some comparison, I clocked in 30 hours in Dragon Age 2, and even considering that I feel as though I completely wasted my money on that game. With Portal 2, I finished feeling as though I got my money's worth and so much more. Now on to the co-op story! Expand
  42. Apr 22, 2011
    One of the best games I've ever played, I haven't tried the Co-Op mode yet but the single-player storyline is full of surprises and other things I've never expected before. This game is totally worth buying.
  43. Apr 26, 2011
    The single player game is 10 hours of pure joy. The best writing in gaming, great puzzles and lots of laughs. The only complaint I have is that you have to increase the mouse sensitivity a bit for the controls to be perfect. Source engine screams: I'm running on Mac Mini late 2010 (Win 7 via Bootcamp) with a 320M and 4GB of memory with all the bells and whistles turned on - neverThe single player game is 10 hours of pure joy. The best writing in gaming, great puzzles and lots of laughs. The only complaint I have is that you have to increase the mouse sensitivity a bit for the controls to be perfect. Source engine screams: I'm running on Mac Mini late 2010 (Win 7 via Bootcamp) with a 320M and 4GB of memory with all the bells and whistles turned on - never dropped a frame. Expand
  44. Apr 28, 2011
    Short review: hilarious one-liners make the game absolutely worth playing. Gameplay is as good as ever, co-op is a brain-bending blast, and characters are classic.
  45. Sep 23, 2015
    Some of the puzzles in this game are nice, but usually quite simple. At least they're not too annoying. Unfortunately the game is very linear, and that is too noticeable. It feels rather empty and has annoying "characters". The plot is fairly simplistic and the only real action happens in on-rails sections where you just sit and wait for something to happen. The "special effects" are theSome of the puzzles in this game are nice, but usually quite simple. At least they're not too annoying. Unfortunately the game is very linear, and that is too noticeable. It feels rather empty and has annoying "characters". The plot is fairly simplistic and the only real action happens in on-rails sections where you just sit and wait for something to happen. The "special effects" are the standard pap that hasn't changed since Half-Life 1. The different liquids are fun, but most of all I love the hard-light bridges. Generally though, the game really lacks any life. Expand
  46. Nov 15, 2011
    When I first completed the single-player portion of Portal 2 I couldn't believe how short it was. Then I looked at my Steam play time and realised something; it wasn't that the game was short, it was just that I'd been enjoying it so much, and was trying to beat the tests as fast as possible to find out what happened next in the story, that when the end came, I just couldn't accept it. SoWhen I first completed the single-player portion of Portal 2 I couldn't believe how short it was. Then I looked at my Steam play time and realised something; it wasn't that the game was short, it was just that I'd been enjoying it so much, and was trying to beat the tests as fast as possible to find out what happened next in the story, that when the end came, I just couldn't accept it. So I did something that has probably only ever happened once or twice before; I immediately played the whole thing through again.
    Nobody crafts a game quite like Valve.
  47. Nov 20, 2011
    Other of the biggest masterpiece of Valve. Portal 2 is the best example of how to overcome the insurmountable. There is no way to complain about this game because it is simply amazing. High top of the best game of this generation.
  48. May 12, 2012
    Portal 2 may be the most intresting game I've played, very, as anyone else said, innovating, but before getting it make sure you understand its a PUZZLE game. It has the same game mechanic as Half Life 2 and is even located in the same universe but sometimes I get the feeling the steam trying to sell it as a FPS which it is not- But if you put that aside, its a brilliant game with veryPortal 2 may be the most intresting game I've played, very, as anyone else said, innovating, but before getting it make sure you understand its a PUZZLE game. It has the same game mechanic as Half Life 2 and is even located in the same universe but sometimes I get the feeling the steam trying to sell it as a FPS which it is not- But if you put that aside, its a brilliant game with very nice puzzles, Just don't think you can play it twice or more, because the puzzles remain the same and even through the game offers "challenges" this is just a very cheap trick to make the game seem bigger then it is, because there is no point in the world to race in beating puzzles you have completed already. The Co-Op is brilliant, just make sure you make it with someone you know who haven't done it already, and like the single player don't bother re-playing puzzles unless your joy in the world is pretending the be smarter then you are by playing puzzles you know how to solve.

The best figure of the game in my opinion is the in-games joke. The characters of Cave Johnson, GLADOS, and whitley are brilliantly funny. The only reason to play the game again is to listen to jokes you've missed. Just watch the game teasers if you want to know what I am talking about.

I would have given this game 6 for being relatively short and unreplayable (Relatively to his price) but steam has finally added to the game what it should have had from the release- the Portal 2 workshop which pretty much solves the "I have dont with this game anything I could" Problem. The game is now being reinforced freely by everyone who wants to and the result is much more puzzles in any difficulty level you desire (Meaning Hard puzzles. No one admit wanting a easy one). Since every week new puzzles are added the game will now stay relevant as long as people imagination will, which makes me pretty optimistic. Shame the haven't done it from the start. But at least they added few jokes, which are like a very nice prize for completing a new puzzle.
  49. Jul 18, 2013
    Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.Portal 2. How do I put this? Portal 2 is an improvement over Portal 1 in every way imaginable. But that isn't saying much. If you've played the original you know what to expect. Running through 20ish test chambers. Go through the facility like in the last test chamber, but it's way bigger this time. Rinse and repeat. And if you didn't play the original here's a one word summary: boring.

Portal 2 side steps most of the pitfalls of the original though. There are more tools, a fact made painfully obvious when I tried to design a map with only stuff from Portal 1. There's actually a story this time. And there are some puzzles that will actually stump you.

And the map editor is pretty cool, even though playing your own puzzles is never fun. And I have to force close the game when quitting, weird.
  50. May 4, 2012
    I really enjoy this game. The only issue I have with it is that it lags on my computer. It seems you need a really good computer to play this game. But thats Valve games for you.
  51. Jun 19, 2012
    Portal 2 is brilliant, just brilliant. It haves memorable story and characters, and the same unique and great gameplay. SIngle player experience is so great, that you will be impressed from the outstanding story. Not just that, even multiplayer is excellent, playing co-op is rewarding. Just buy it, and you will see how awesome it is!
  52. Nov 20, 2012
    Portal 2 has proven that puzzle games can be addicting, memorable and hilarious. It's a sweet treat of a PC game, and the best one so far. Highly original and clever, I recommend it.
  53. Jan 31, 2014
    An absolute gem of a game, a tense, puzzle driven game that is nonetheless absolutely hilarious. I sound myself repeating some of the lines to my wife, who found them funny even though she had no idea what game it was.

Utterly brilliant, it's games like these that put Valve at the top of the PC gaming pyramid.
  54. Jun 24, 2013
    A great game overall, quite challenging with a dark atmosphere enligthened by pOtatOs, Wheatley, and Cave Johnson's registered voice. The storyline was actually impressive.
    The game itself and the coop are quite fun to play, particularly if you play the latter for goofing around with a close buddy and f*** things up.
    However, the replay value of this game is very low, as once you have

However, the replay value of this game is very low, as once you have completed it, you have completed it. What I mean is that there is almost always only one way of solving a puzzle, and if you remember it you can easily do it, which is kinda uninteresting.

Unless you feel up to do a speedrun.
  55. Feb 21, 2014
    Had a blast playing Portal 2. I would have scored it a 9-10 if I felt the urge to replay the game. Extremely fun on the first time through the campaign though. I had the exact same experience as in Portal 1. Great game, but my top notch scores are reserved for those games that keep me coming back for more.
  56. Jul 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of Valves greatest games ever. It borrowed cool and innovative mechanics from Portal, and the gameplay and first half of the story are great. The coop mode is really fun with friends. The only downside is the fact that wheatley betrays you, I had grown to like him so much and I didn't want that to happen. Expand
  57. Jun 15, 2015
    Without a shadow of doubt a masterpiece. Incredible in everything it does. Masterful writing, unparalleled voice acting, every single character is incredibly memorable, the entire massive complex of Aperture is built and revealed perfectly, and the all-important portal based puzzle gameplay is flawless. This is Valve's magnum opus - a perfect game in every way.
  58. Feb 3, 2015
    It rides on the success of its predeccessor. Not nearly as much fun or unique, and the talking robot is an aannoying brit who just doesn't shut up and tells poor jokes. It ruined the game for me, I couldn't even play it more than a few minutes before uninstalling it due to that robot and the repetitive nature of the game.
  59. Jul 21, 2015
    Best puzzle game co-op is awesome , bugs can be really annoying this kind games but in portal i not see any bug. Graphics are good gameplay wiothout problem
  60. Apr 22, 2011
    This game is a **** piece of art (look here, Mr. Ebert). It continuosly surprises you and pushes the limits, it's full of humor, the production values are outstanding.

At a normal pace and looking around, it took me 9 hours to finish it. The coop is also excellent, I haven't finished it yet and I've played 4 hours already. Given today's standard length for games, that's very good, especially thinking that there's no filling here. Every single minute is excellent.

The first thing I did when I finished the game was start again. This is game of the year, probably game of the decade.

Any user that gives this less than a 9 because they didn't get to play it days earlier, or because Valve somehow put a gun in their heads and forced them to play some of the best indies out there at a fantastic price, is a **** IDIOT that should sell his or her computer, and never play a game again. Write down their names, and never ever again read whatever drivel they have to say. They have no soul.

Stop reading this already and go buy the game. It's THAT good.
  61. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot inPortal 2 is simply awesome. the graphics are great, the voice-acting is good, the story is good although i saw the plot-twists coming from miles away. the length of the game was initially a tiny bit disappointing, but if i think about it: Portal 2 relies purely on the portal-gun and i suppose that after ~8 hours that can get repetitive for most average players. the only real weak spot in portal 2 is the Co-Op mode. apparently valve believes that everybody has a friend who has portal 2 as well which isn't the case for most players. this leads to an unequal gameplay for most when being partnered with random people (if one has done the test already and knows the solution then the other player can't discover the solution on his/her own and gets it explained to.which takes the fun out of it). i had the luck to be teamed up with one who has just started to play too, but there are other who won't be that lucky.
    that aside. Portal 2 is a great game and was definitely worth my time and money and i look forward to play trough it again in a month when i forgot most of the rooms. i don't understand why people are so furious at the game. its been quite a while since valve brought out any (large) single-player games and i do think they have done quite a good job. the only thing i do hate about portal 2 is the attempt to make money on in-game apparel for a Co-op mode that can be finished in a few hours during which only your partner sees you. i find that plain ridiculous
  62. Apr 19, 2011
    The DLC people are complaining about is just co-op hats and stuff so it's not big deal. It isn't like an expansion pack or something a fan of the game would be itching to get. The gameplay is fun, the value for the PS3 version is amazing! How many games give you two copies for the price of one? I do wish that the Cloud Support would switch your saves between PS3 and PC, but no biggie. TheThe DLC people are complaining about is just co-op hats and stuff so it's not big deal. It isn't like an expansion pack or something a fan of the game would be itching to get. The gameplay is fun, the value for the PS3 version is amazing! How many games give you two copies for the price of one? I do wish that the Cloud Support would switch your saves between PS3 and PC, but no biggie. The game takes what was fun and exciting about the first one and multiplies it. Truly a good bit of fun in a world full of CoD and Madden.

In all honesty I think it deserves more of a 8.5, but to combat the stupidity of those bashing it for their own fictional reasons, I will give it the bump up to a perfect. Take that trolls. Buy this game folks. It is a hoot.
  63. Apr 21, 2011
    Portal 2 is somewhat of a perfect game, with it's enticing sound and great characters, it also includes on of the most innovative puzzles of all time. This isn't your average mind-bending puzzle, Portal 2 is reasonable, it's easy once you know whats going on, but it stills proves a challenge. Portal 2 is an amazing game, with CO-OP which will always go on, this deserves to be game of thePortal 2 is somewhat of a perfect game, with it's enticing sound and great characters, it also includes on of the most innovative puzzles of all time. This isn't your average mind-bending puzzle, Portal 2 is reasonable, it's easy once you know whats going on, but it stills proves a challenge. Portal 2 is an amazing game, with CO-OP which will always go on, this deserves to be game of the year. Perfect, no, but it is the best game we have seen so far in 2011. Portal 2 features chell and glados, the dynamic duo. with excellent voice work, and a great story, its length and that it is awesome, it might not be perfect but it deserves my ten Expand
  64. May 28, 2011
    Portal 2 is overrated. All these 100s and 10s are completely undeserved. Portal 2 is very good, sure. But it's flaws make what the game wanted to be disappear. For example, through most of the game, it's more of a hide-and-seek puzzle, for when you're looking for the white walls you can shoot portals on. And a LOT of the game is like this.

Wheatley and GlaDOS are funny, but talk way too

Wheatley and GlaDOS are funny, but talk way too much. GlaDOS also has a change of character from the original portal, going from sarcasm/passive-aggressive to more of a blunt way of talking. And not many quotes are quotable that were made by GlaDOS.

Still, this is an amazing game. I've laughed countless times, had fun solving puzzles, and more. The ending was by far the best ending I've ever seen in a video game.
  65. Apr 22, 2011
    OH NO DAY 1 DLC... oh wait, it's only cosmetics and I don't have to buy them to get the full gaming experience. That being said, Portal 2 is great. Not Portal 1 great, but still damn near perfect. My biggest issue is that Portal 1 worked so well because it was short. I was really scared Portal 2 would just simply be too long and lose its pacing. I'm glad it barely didn't. There's a lot ofOH NO DAY 1 DLC... oh wait, it's only cosmetics and I don't have to buy them to get the full gaming experience. That being said, Portal 2 is great. Not Portal 1 great, but still damn near perfect. My biggest issue is that Portal 1 worked so well because it was short. I was really scared Portal 2 would just simply be too long and lose its pacing. I'm glad it barely didn't. There's a lot of variation between levels and types of puzzles, and every chapter has its own little funny quirk. Recommended for people that aren't potato batteries. Expand
  66. Apr 19, 2011
    The amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get theThe amount of whiny trolls here is just ridiculous. I imagine most of them haven't even played the game, and are just regurgitating what they've heard the others say. First off, the single player takes a good 6-8 hours. Still not incredibly long (and the only reason why I knocked off one point), but I'll replay it just to hear the dialogue, not to mention find all the secrets and get the achievements. And that's without touching co-op. How can you even call cosmetic hats DLC? Here's a hint: just don't buy them. Your game experience will be completely unchanged. The only people who should have a problem with this are exactly the kind of morons who see shiny digital horse armor and have some strange compulsive nature that forces them to buy it.

Don't even know what they're talking about with "Please don't turn off your console." Never saw it, and the game doesn't feel like a port at all.

After L4D2 I was worried that Valve know longer knew how to make a sequel as good as or better than its predecessor, but here they've clearly done the latter. The gameplay is better (hard light trails, gels and excursion funnels add a ton of depth) and the humor is better. But maybe that's the real reason why the haters are so mad, because there's no easily identifiable meme line to clutch onto and propagate ad nauseum like "the cake is a lie" (Ugh, that got old so fast).
  67. Apr 19, 2011
    If Portal 2 doesn't make every single end-of-year Top 5/Top 10, we will have had the best year for games, ever. Or, to put it another way, I highly doubt there will be 5 games better than this all year long. I've been playing games for 25 years--this is one of the most complete, thoughtful, and humorous games ever released. People on here seem to be whining about the DLC--what in theIf Portal 2 doesn't make every single end-of-year Top 5/Top 10, we will have had the best year for games, ever. Or, to put it another way, I highly doubt there will be 5 games better than this all year long. I've been playing games for 25 years--this is one of the most complete, thoughtful, and humorous games ever released. People on here seem to be whining about the DLC--what in the world does that have to do with the game itself? You're really going to trash a game because you don't want to spend 2 dollars on an animation? Dude--don't buy the DLC, then. It's not hard. You're picking, literally, the smallest thing about the game and letting it cloud your judgment. If you like games, you will LOVE Portal 2. It's that simple. If you like sitting alone in a basement and nitpicking tiny things on the Internet to make yourself feel better, then you'll hate it. Expand
  68. May 21, 2011
    The game's art is beautifully done, but in terms of difficulty, it;s much easier than the first one. I finished the game in 5 hours, finding all the hidden things and dens.

Many tests are basically just find the patch of white wall now. The length of this game in relation to its price is simply atrocious. The length is less than half of what a normal game length should be. Its less than

Many tests are basically just find the patch of white wall now.

The length of this game in relation to its price is simply atrocious. The length is less than half of what a normal game length should be. Its less than a third. Therefore I'll divide my score by 3.
  69. Jun 23, 2011
    portal 2 is very cool as you know it will be. don't trust the bad reviews for this game! trust the good ones! (lazy review with no caps). it has co-op, great story, awesome graphics, awesome futuristic settings, and lots of puzzles that you can expect from the last game. simply one of the best game of 2011. they removed annoying puzzles like the energy orb that forces you to wait untilportal 2 is very cool as you know it will be. don't trust the bad reviews for this game! trust the good ones! (lazy review with no caps). it has co-op, great story, awesome graphics, awesome futuristic settings, and lots of puzzles that you can expect from the last game. simply one of the best game of 2011. they removed annoying puzzles like the energy orb that forces you to wait until it's settled up with the annoying receiver stuff, and add more new elements like the gel that will speed up your character, or jump like almost zero gravity, and even create portals in impossible places! the game also adds cooperative campaign which you and your friend can participate and complete together. the greatest part of the cooperative campaign is that there is 100% team work. it's perfectly executed. but the annoying part is that if your friend is stupid and can't think with portals. now the thing that lacks on this game is the single player is a little short. and it's a puzzle game. once you know how to solve each of every levels in portal 2, i bet you will complete this game in only 4 hours. and you suffer yourself like 12-13 hours to beat this game and if you don't know how to beat the s*** out of the puzzle you will ended up looking on youtube. shamefully, there are no extras in this game. almost no replay value. no interesting secret stuff. and if you start playing it with cheats, you better end the game normally. i guess the only effort ending the game is that you can use cheats later. so that's my review on portal 2. a score of [ 9.6 ] judging all the stuff above that pisses me off Expand
  70. Jul 14, 2011
    Nothing short of Fan-dibby-dabulous.
    I'll try and describe how awesome it is:
    It's so good...

1) My Dog came back to life
    2) My Rubix Cube solved itself
    3) My water turned into wine
    4) I **** in my pants
    5) It gave me Blowjobs and ice cream
    6) Hitler got his gas bill

What was I on about, again? The point is it's a damn good game and you should buy it because it's super awesome!
  71. Sep 10, 2011
    A great game that was funny and well made, the only 2 flaws are there are no extra hard challenges and after you compete the single player an multi player, there is no reason for you to keep playing.
  72. Nov 15, 2011
    if you liked portal 1 and want more of the same with a little bit more this is it fun and funny game all round A1 game . Only issue i have is the loading screens almost every puzzle..
    its just long enuff to be fun performance is well its a valve game so 200fps and it looks good very clean
  73. Jul 23, 2012
    A sequel worthy of the original. There's really nothing I can add that hasn't been said already. Melds a wonderful (if somewhat predictable) story with unforgettable characters and enthralling puzzles. Do yourself a huge favor and just get it.
  74. Jul 30, 2012
    Great game, great story and innovative gameplay. This game sucked me in from the first moment i started playing it, and one of the few games i played through from beginning to the end. You really dont even want it to end!! +10
  75. Aug 12, 2012
    I'm not quite sure what I was expecting from this game, but it wasn't this. This game builds perfectly off the original. It expands on the original game mechanics, puzzles, world and story in exactly the right way to make it feel like its own game while keeping all the reasons I loved Portal.
  76. Mar 11, 2013
    The engaging, mind-bending gameplay of the original with a few twists, the same fantastic voice acting, and the best narrative in video game history. Rarely is the medium handled with such technical and artistic proficiency. Simply the best.
  77. Jul 1, 2016
    + More variety in puzzles, like the bouncy gel etc
    + Funny dialogue
    + Great backstory, mostly told through voice recordings
    + Co Op mode
    + Another great ending song
  78. Feb 19, 2014
    Potral 2 is the best strategy game i have ever played. Even thou theres no different endings you'll still want to play it again. Portal 2 has allot of game mechanics that just make the game awesome. You play as a test subject to take down the robot GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) and restore aperture science labs with the help of a core named wheatly but instead ofPotral 2 is the best strategy game i have ever played. Even thou theres no different endings you'll still want to play it again. Portal 2 has allot of game mechanics that just make the game awesome. You play as a test subject to take down the robot GLaDOS (Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System) and restore aperture science labs with the help of a core named wheatly but instead of killing GLaDOS wheatly get control of aperture science labs and goes crazy puts GLaDOS in a potato and now your off to take down wheatly. this game gets a 9/10 Expand
  79. Jan 15, 2016
    This game is best game ever made, if you give this to monkey, it would make it smart as low intelligent humans.
    I love it, everyone can make new content, which provides infinite levels to play.
    Where is portal 3 ?
  80. Apr 20, 2011
    I really don't like rating games 10, because no game is perfect. So think of my 10 as more of a 9.9 or a 9.8. This is without a doubt not only the best game I've played this year, but the best game I've played in a few years now.
    The game is NOT 4 hours long. Until I see a video of someone going through the game in 4 hours, I will never be able to conceive how they could possibly do that without cheating. The game is easily over 8 hours long and that's just the single player. Not to mention you are bound to spend time on your first or second play through looking for easter eggs, hearing all the audio and getting stuck on some of the harder puzzles.
    The Co-op is great, if anything it's almost as good as the single player, because it adds the extra challenge of the puzzles needing use of all the portals. It's packed full of content separate from the single player campaign and is just great.
    There is NO DLC! Some idiots seem to believe that there is day 1 DLC, I will confirm that there is not. People are possibly confused because in the co-op campaign, there is a store that allows you to customise your character. But they are all aesthetics, they bring nothing new to the game and they take nothing away, so there is no reason to buy them and therefore no reason to complain. It's not like they're forcing you to buy the co-op or something.

My GOTY 2011. It's early in the year but I don't see how any games being released this year are going to be better than this (except maybe LA Noire, but we'll see).

If you're going to get the game, get it on PC! The game is not a console port and is best played PC!
  81. Jul 19, 2011
    In many ways it's a lot better than the first Portal.. though it does seem a bit easier on certain levels.. The game's story is crazy and fun! ...and once you think the game is gonna be over... its NOT!! :) Humorous characters and gameplay & the cool new mechanics such as the 'crazy fluids' and shifting environments makes this game that much more Fun!! Co-op mode is very fun and at manyIn many ways it's a lot better than the first Portal.. though it does seem a bit easier on certain levels.. The game's story is crazy and fun! ...and once you think the game is gonna be over... its NOT!! :) Humorous characters and gameplay & the cool new mechanics such as the 'crazy fluids' and shifting environments makes this game that much more Fun!! Co-op mode is very fun and at many times very hilarious!! Performance is really smooth! Portal 2 is a QUADRILLION times better & more appropriate than those mindless & primitive shoot-em-up games such as those pointless duke nukems' or left4dead, those kind suck!!!... anyway, A puzzle game which can test cognitive(intellectual) skills is a game much worthwhile!! A++ for Portal 2 ! I really want to see a Portal 3 in about 2 years!!! Expand
  82. Jun 7, 2011
    Genial. Un digno sucesor de Portal. Aunque Valve tenga algunos defectos, hay que reconocer que cuando se sientan a trabajar crean obras maestras. Además, ya han anunciado DLC gratuito para este verano (mientras otros recortan partes vitales del juego para revenderlas como DLC exclusivo para cierta consola).
  83. Apr 26, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How could anyone mark this lower than a 10? It's a fantastic game, extremely fun, and unique. Amazing atmosphere. I wished there were more tie ins to HL3 but it'll do. Expand
  84. Apr 20, 2011
    Man, I can't help but feel a little cheated from all that day 1 DLC... The game was pretty fun, and the single player campaign took me 4 hours and 21 minutes to beat. I haven't done co-op yet, so that might add a few more hours, but I still feel like the 40$ price tag isn't entirely justified for what I'm just assuming will fall into the 8-12 hour long range.
    But, there's a reason I
    But, there's a reason I haven't done co-op yet. Portal 2 has no easy to use LAN, and my ISP illegally blocks all peer to peer connections. Due to that, I literally cannot play co-op. If only it had LAN...
    Another problem was that whole potato thing, where we had to buy and play a bunch of games just to release the game like 12 hours early. The console version of the game was available for illegal download like, a week and a half before the PC version was released "early".
    All and all, I feel like Portal 2 is worth playing, but perhaps you should wait until it goes on sale for at least 50% off.
  85. May 17, 2011
    I have to say i was going to be one of those "not worth the money... only 6hours of game play!" types then i was i finally got another to do CoOp If you feel like you have only got half the playtime you are expecting and have not done all of CoOp well to be honest that is only because you played half the game. BUT WAIT I FORGETTING HIDEOUS DLC THAT GIVE UNFAIR ADG... oh what is that it doeI have to say i was going to be one of those "not worth the money... only 6hours of game play!" types then i was i finally got another to do CoOp If you feel like you have only got half the playtime you are expecting and have not done all of CoOp well to be honest that is only because you played half the game. BUT WAIT I FORGETTING HIDEOUS DLC THAT GIVE UNFAIR ADG... oh what is that it doe not give an advantages? When why are people complaining? They want it but do not want to buy it? Tell that to Porsche I would love one of their cars for free... they say no? How about a free hamburger Wendy's... sonic perhaps? Whataburger? oh to bad. Guess you have to pay for things that cost money... who knew. Expand
  86. Apr 23, 2011
    Gameplay is great but story and visuals really are disappointing. After finishing the game you most likely never play single player again co-op is fun but short. good game for a weekend but not worth 40£ (60$) if you are short of money
  87. Dec 23, 2011
    Now that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically andNow that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically and in the complexity of the puzzles. Oftentimes I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to pull off complex stunts like in Portal I, when the solution would be much less about reflexes and much more about strategy. Not to mention that the storyline and voice acting are top notch. This is a game that is nearly literature in its depth, where you will actually feel emotionally moved and interested in the backstory and in the characters. However I was moved by GLADOS in the first Portal, the sequel expands this greatly. Really, if I was ever going to complain it would have been to say that $50 + DLC costs is a high price to pay for such a short experience, but now that it is cheaper I would say that this is the perfect experience for the perfect price. Expand
  88. May 2, 2011
    Very fun, very funny, very short. Not worth the price of admission. Portal 2 should be priced at $30-$35, tops. It's a terrible value in gaming with very little replayability. And waiting for DLC to trickle in isn't worth paying $50-$60. If you don't mind the price, go for it. But don't complain if you feel ripped off despite the fun experience.
  89. Apr 25, 2012
    I didn't play the first Portal until early 2012, but it didn't take long to see that the Portal-games are of excellent quality.

The first game is great, but Portal 2 is a really polished version, with the best humor I've seen in a game all my life. The history is great, the puzzle are challenging - but not too challenging.

10/10 from me!
  90. Dec 20, 2015
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  91. Mar 2, 2014
    I thought I would never like a game without bang bang, gore, violence and monsters; the game is a perfect thriller / puzzle and never uses the cliches you are tired to see in this brave new world...
  92. Oct 2, 2014
    The story and voice overs facing the silent protagonist here will keep You forcing Yourself long past midnight solving "just one more" puzzle. Very inspired work. Even the fact of it being on steam cannot justify subtracting points from such a polished product. Once done enjoying the excellent solo experience, which delivers laughter in spades and even a tear at times, You can embark onThe story and voice overs facing the silent protagonist here will keep You forcing Yourself long past midnight solving "just one more" puzzle. Very inspired work. Even the fact of it being on steam cannot justify subtracting points from such a polished product. Once done enjoying the excellent solo experience, which delivers laughter in spades and even a tear at times, You can embark on smaller separate story with a friend for a duo-romp, fun will be had as well. Expand
  93. Apr 19, 2011
    Loving this game. 6 hours played so far and I'm failing on the white-out level due to my eyes hanging out! Beautifully polished game, with great voice acting and good humour. Was absolutely worth the wait. I've not tried cooperative yet but the single player alone has been worth the purchase and I'm not even finished yet!

10/10 Valve - superb work.
  94. Jun 3, 2011
    The sheer quality of Portal 2's content is incredible. The characters are so well written and acted, the plot for a game which has little more to its core than shooting portals is truly epic in every sense of the word, the source engine still looks incredible and in my opinion better than most newer engines currently being used. As you progress you're just drawn further and further intoThe sheer quality of Portal 2's content is incredible. The characters are so well written and acted, the plot for a game which has little more to its core than shooting portals is truly epic in every sense of the word, the source engine still looks incredible and in my opinion better than most newer engines currently being used. As you progress you're just drawn further and further into the plot, and the two main characters (other than yourself) really make the story, and thus the game, providing all kinds of banter, twists, reveals, and so on. The levels are always satisfying. I was never left perplexed for more than 5 or 10 minutes at what I needed to do, but then getting it done in the correct order would be another task in itself, and most of the rooms/puzzles are truly satisfying to take on. The game length is fairly short, but any longer would have left the concept to become stale - so as a one time play-through, it's about the right length. However there-in lies its downfall - it is just a one time play-through (same with co-op)and the reason why i can't give it a higher score despite very much wanting to, and everything else about the game being deserving of it. I would also liked to have seen some more complex and twitch-based or portal-loop based chambers including some of the features removed from the game during playtests, as these looked in videos, to be some of the most exciting and fast-paced - I suppose this is the other reason why I can't give it a 9. At times the lighting really wowed me, and to think this is a rather dated engine, what it can produce with a few updates is pretty amazing. To top it off, you also have a fair bit of co-op that provides a lot of fun, and no doubt many mods and content to come from valve and the community. Hopfully valve and the community will be releasing new test chambers soon.â Expand
  95. Apr 19, 2011
    Amazing game. Only bad thing about it is the whole gesture thing. But hey it's optional right? GOTY 2011 so far for me. Also can't beat the low price
  96. Apr 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is good, no wait, it's VERY good. It delivers on it's promise and introduces us to rich new world. I won't give away spoilers, but if you liked Portal you will LOVE the second sequel. This sets a benchmark which developers need to take note of. Sequels can be amazing. They can build on the past and make it even better. Do yourself a favour this Easter long weekend - Buy Portal 2,Portal 2 is good, no wait, it's VERY good. It delivers on it's promise and introduces us to rich new world. I won't give away spoilers, but if you liked Portal you will LOVE the second sequel. This sets a benchmark which developers need to take note of. Sequels can be amazing. They can build on the past and make it even better. Do yourself a favour this Easter long weekend - Buy Portal 2, lock yourself away and enjoy. Expand
  97. Apr 20, 2011
    Portal 2 has the absolute BEST single player storyline of 2011, or anything since 2008. Maybe a few frustrating things like me not catching a few places to jump or place my portal on, the game was fun, it was funny, it was challenging, and it makes dry dead humor a pleasure to hear. The awesome thing about the game is that it makes impatient and non-observant people like me suffer, butPortal 2 has the absolute BEST single player storyline of 2011, or anything since 2008. Maybe a few frustrating things like me not catching a few places to jump or place my portal on, the game was fun, it was funny, it was challenging, and it makes dry dead humor a pleasure to hear. The awesome thing about the game is that it makes impatient and non-observant people like me suffer, but even with those traits of missing an important white space to place your portal in, the gamer no matter what personality will continue to strive, and it's not to finish the game... Or get the cake... No, but to have all ears on the next joke, no matter how dry or funny, and then laugh, or have their feelings injured, which is good. One thing I love about this game is the stupidity one of the characters display; it's funny because his funniness distracts the player from the major flaw that the user can use to escape his/her dilemma. Great game. Expand
  98. Apr 23, 2011
    It's sickening there are so many failed trolls and /v/tards that are rating this game lower than it's actual given content. Portal 2 took a great leap forward from most games, including it's predecessor, and gave me a product that I will never forget. For one, it has an amazing and beautiful story, but I will not go into too many details due to spoilers. VALVe also managed to integrateIt's sickening there are so many failed trolls and /v/tards that are rating this game lower than it's actual given content. Portal 2 took a great leap forward from most games, including it's predecessor, and gave me a product that I will never forget. For one, it has an amazing and beautiful story, but I will not go into too many details due to spoilers. VALVe also managed to integrate amazing and hilarious jokes in, which have already began spawning new memes, as all VALVe games do. Now, gameplay-wise, Portal 2 is also gives us a great amount of relief. There is now multiple new items and science to use to solve the puzzles, such as the gels and aerial faith plates. It's a great break from the casual arcade shooters that are being released by Activision, which have plagued the gaming industry, but VALVe has still managed to stay gold-- Portal 2 is brilliant and pure. I find it difficult to believe anyone would give this game lower than a 9, I guess an 8 would be good too if you have a rotten taste in games, but this game is surely the best release of the year so far. If I could, I would definitely award it with higher than a 10, say a 15/10, but I cannot, sadly. If you enjoy good humor, good puzzles, an amazing story, good visuals, and a great game overall, I suggest purchasing yourself a copy of Portal 2. Expand
  99. Zri
    Apr 23, 2011
    Not perfect, but pretty damned good. With sequels popping up left and right and usually missing the mark by a fair way, Portal 2 takes what was good in Portal and, well, keeps it good. The writing for the dialogue is spot on, the co-op is just fantastic, down to a snarky GladOS making comments at you waving at her cameras, and the portals are as good as ever.

But. In some cases the

But. In some cases the puzzles feel a bit too easy. In many cases it's too obvious where you should be placing portals, and one feeling that I consistently had while going through the single player game is that there was far too many surfaces that you couldn't attach a portal to, meaning that when you found one, you knew it was important. I felt that took a little away from the game.

That somewhat minor quibble aside, the game is just great.

I hope there will be more available for the co-op aspect of the game, as I think this is where the game really shines (user-generated or commercial, both would be good), and if they expect people to spend any money in their co-op bot decoration store, there better be a good reason to do it.
  100. May 16, 2012
    For me this is perfection. Gameplay is inovative, fun, just fantastic. Maybe there should be more content, thats the only bad thing. The ending is perfect, voice acting, story. SOmething every other game could only dream of having .

1. Pelit (Finland)