Portal 2 PC

9.0

1. Apr 25, 2011
    Portal 2 is a refined Portal 1. Nearly everything was improved from the first game. The puzzles are more interesting, varied, and satisfying to solve. The writing is funnier, more clever, and it's one of the most quotable pieces of media ever. If you liked the first, Christmas has come early. If you didn't, science says that you're a horrible person.
  2. Apr 25, 2011
    I don't understand how people give a game a low score (or zero) for including completely optional, PURELY AESTHETIC options. Now, had they included maps or new levels of any kind and made me pay to unlock it, that would warrant a lower score. I, for one, much prefer the default skins of the bots. They didn't need to add anything extra to them, but decided to, so if you have the moneyI don't understand how people give a game a low score (or zero) for including completely optional, PURELY AESTHETIC options. Now, had they included maps or new levels of any kind and made me pay to unlock it, that would warrant a lower score. I, for one, much prefer the default skins of the bots. They didn't need to add anything extra to them, but decided to, so if you have the money and desire, you can make them look different. But I'm quite confident in making the assumption that a good portion of people rather the default bot looks.

ANYWAY... Onto my actual review:

Some people may think it's a tad too short, but honestly, if it were any longer, some or all of the sections probably would have started to feel dragged out. Like many people, I was just about ready to call it quits for a portal-break right before I realized I was in chapter 9. That bit of game-pacing alone just helped to make the game even better than it had been a few seconds earlier.

Also, some people might have said it was too easy. It was a little easier than some of the hardcore Portal 1 mods that some people might have been hoping for, but it was on par with Portal 1, just without some of the lightening-reaction moments. It's a puzzle game, and Valve did an excellent job gauging the difficulty. I was able to play through it without getting horrifically angry at any one puzzle, but without feeling like I wasn't doing anything. I'm certain that my having trained heavily through the use of expert portal 1 map packs helped add to the ease with which I beat Portal 2, but my personal expertise is NOT something to rate the game down for.

And the story. It was great. They fed off of the (very) little history provided in Portal 1, and fully realized Aperture Science, while continuing your relation with GLaDOS in a way more personal than many may have thought, while also introducing some new characters. In a way, Portal 2 acted as a sequel, and functional prequel to Portal, which I found amazing.

And then there's coop. Fun. Just plain fun. No guarantees if you aren't playing with a friend, but the half-dozen or so people I've ran into in random internet matches have been great fun. A lot of the times it may seem that there is only one solution to any given coop map, but in two cases, I'm almost certain the only solution I could come to is the wrong one, and that feels great.

My final verdict? If you've played Portal 1, definitely buy Portal 2. If you haven't played Portal 1, buy Portal 1 and THEN buy Portal 2. It's as perfect a game as you could ask for!
  3. Apr 25, 2011
    Ohh this is it. The best game Ever done! Story, graphics, amazing characters, etc..... This game has got it all. Unless Ep3 is released soon... Portal 2 is going to be in the Top 1 for a loong time...
  4. Apr 25, 2011
    With the same humor and charm as the first with nine times the science, this game really exemplifies the greatest of modern puzzle games, but somehow calling Portal 2 a mere puzzle game doesn't seem to really do it justice.

If you are on the fence about your purchase you can always just buy the ps3 version and sell the disc after you've redeemed your steam code, but chances are you're not going to want to.
  5. Apr 26, 2011
    It is the gr8 game of valve.if portal 2 supports DX11 may be it will become the game of the year,but it isn't...
    Now just w8 for HALF LIFE 2 EPISODE 3, then we will see which is the gr8 game...
  6. Apr 26, 2011
    Fantastic in all areas. The single player expanded on the original in unique and fun ways. The story telling kept up the pace set by portal. Level design as usual was flawless. I completed it in 14 hours including co-op and still need to go back for more... so what are you complaining about?? The co-op was without a doubt the best bit of multiplayer gaming I have ever engaged in. It almostFantastic in all areas. The single player expanded on the original in unique and fun ways. The story telling kept up the pace set by portal. Level design as usual was flawless. I completed it in 14 hours including co-op and still need to go back for more... so what are you complaining about?? The co-op was without a doubt the best bit of multiplayer gaming I have ever engaged in. It almost needs it's own review as it was so seperate from the single player :) Expand
  7. Apr 26, 2011
    Jaw droppingly good looking, top notch gameplay, and amazing story. This is quite possibly the best game I have ever played. I played this once and look forwards to playing it again as I feel that I missed a lot of content.
    While this game may be "short" compared to some games there is never a dull moment and it is packed to the brim with content
  8. Apr 26, 2011
    Smart, funny and very entertaining. Portal 2 was an experience that you will never forget. Its rewarding and the co-up makes you want to hug your fellow robot companion. Looking back on Portal, Portal 2 is better in each and every way, even though the source engine is old, its just perfect for a game like this.
  9. Apr 26, 2011
    As with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some ofAs with most Valve games, the production quality of Portal 2 is phenomenal compared to any other game I have played in the past few years. Graphics are a big improvement over the original, and new source engine features like the ability to limit frame rate to save power on a laptop are welcome. The entire game, including the coop campaign, was very funny and entertaining, even if some of the humor fell on the subtle side (similar jokes to the first game's "cake" do exist, but they aren't as obviously displayed). I enjoyed each of the plot twists and the entire campaign felt like it was paced well. The coop campaign is entirely unique from the single player, adding even more quality content in the mix. I hope to see the availability of new maps to be added, and it does appear to be possible, but will take off a couple of tenths just because it wasn't shipped with the game.

My final score is 9.7/10
  10. Apr 26, 2011
    If you want a game with ticklish and rewarding gameplay, humour, pathos, narrative, beautiful art design, immersive envrionments, terrific voice acting, great pacing, awesome co-op, all applied with just enough polish, then Portal 2 is the game for you. It expands on the original in many ways but is not weighed down by it's predecessor. One of the most accomplished AAA titles of the lastIf you want a game with ticklish and rewarding gameplay, humour, pathos, narrative, beautiful art design, immersive envrionments, terrific voice acting, great pacing, awesome co-op, all applied with just enough polish, then Portal 2 is the game for you. It expands on the original in many ways but is not weighed down by it's predecessor. One of the most accomplished AAA titles of the last few years. This game has it all. I can't recommend it enough. Expand
  11. Apr 26, 2011
    This game is absolutely brilliant. It improves in every conceivable way on the original Portal, it is wittier, funnier, more involving and interesting plot and the puzzles are much more challenging. Ignore all the 0/10 scores from fan boys that seem to have an illusion of entitlement. If you only very mildly enjoyed Portal 1 then this game is an absolute must have. Also anyone whoThis game is absolutely brilliant. It improves in every conceivable way on the original Portal, it is wittier, funnier, more involving and interesting plot and the puzzles are much more challenging. Ignore all the 0/10 scores from fan boys that seem to have an illusion of entitlement. If you only very mildly enjoyed Portal 1 then this game is an absolute must have. Also anyone who complains about the length doesn't know what they are talking about. If it had been any longer it would have just got very slow and boring. A 6 hour solo campaign with a 4-5 hour coop campaign with the promise of extra levels in the future is plenty. Well worth the money. Expand
  12. Apr 26, 2011
    This is a great game and I loved every minute of it. I can complain that it was a bit expensive, $50 for a computer game that is short is a bit much but if I wanted it cheaper I could have waited for it to go on sale. As for all the negative reviews on it all I can say is haters be hatin' and trolls be trollin' lol
  13. Apr 26, 2011
    Absolute fun, the ending is hilarious, one of the better endings in games I've seen. Also hidden somewhere a link to black mesa!! Can't wait to see how it will relate to future halve life games :-) Don't understand why people give zero points, probably people who can't enjoy games without having a gun...
  14. Apr 26, 2011
    Is a two hour movie twice as good as a one hour movie? If youre a mouth-breathing hater who judges the value of a game by how many hours of button mashing are required to complete it, then you probably are not capable of appreciating the fact that Portal 2 doesnt waist one single second of the players time. Every moment is fun, deeply satisfying, and worth replaying over and over again.Is a two hour movie twice as good as a one hour movie? If youre a mouth-breathing hater who judges the value of a game by how many hours of button mashing are required to complete it, then you probably are not capable of appreciating the fact that Portal 2 doesnt waist one single second of the players time. Every moment is fun, deeply satisfying, and worth replaying over and over again. The Animation, Multi-Player, Art, Story, Humor, Sound, Music, Difficulty, and Stability, are all top notch. Portal 2 is a masterpiece that wouldnt have been as good if it were any shorter or any longer. Expand
  15. Apr 26, 2011
    For those that say this is a console port you're wrong. For those that say it's "too short" again... wrong. (Those claiming to have finished it in 4 hours are flat out lying.) DLC on day one? Come on. It's a skin and nothing more. It doesn't affect the game at all. So complaining about DLC from day one makes you look like a moron.

This is one of the most original and engaging games

This is one of the most original and engaging games released within the last decade. Period.
  16. Apr 26, 2011
    Simply Amazing , the characterization in this game is the best Ive ever seen, you actually care about them and they feel so real. The game play is revolutionary , nothing like this has ever been made before. The story wraps things up beautifully . . . anyone who hasn't played this yet . .. needs too!
  17. Apr 26, 2011
    Portal2 COOL GAME! I love valve! I HATE PORTAL3!!! :D YEAH!
    PORTAL 2 THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!!!!11111one
    From Russia with love ;)
    Valve thanks! Portal 2 cool!
  18. Apr 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game in a nutshell, is a work of genius. The way that the humour is so skillfully intertwined with such dark subject matter, and the fact that the game has such involved levels; which will cause people to actually think, rather than just "run and gun" which most modern games seem to be about. It is usually the fact that cinematics are more impressive than the actual gameplay of the game- in this case, they are both as impressive as each other, from the powering up of "GLADOS", to the fantastic ending of the game. It seems that Valve don't appear to be able to stop bringing out quality games for the PC! Great job! Expand
  19. Apr 27, 2011
    Perfection has a name and it's Portal 2. Apart from brilliant gameplay mechanics, they perfectly mix with a hilarious story and voice acting. I think words cannot be fair with such good game. PLAY IT!
  20. Aug 19, 2011
    Great, just great. Plot is very intriguing, some giant computer is making fun all the time on you and trying to screw you as much as she can.

I don't know how game is so simple and so much interesting. I don't like maze or "logically" games cos they are for narrowed minded ( no offence but 100% of that type of games are linear), and often non-logical. In this you have no bugs, no

In this you have no bugs, no stupid hidden buttons, pappier under camouflaged door step or passage to find. Just riddle and your mind. Clean and provocative.

GREAT i gave it 10!
  21. Apr 27, 2011
    The Dark humor and compelling puzzles make this a must play for anyone with a pulse. Valve consistently creates masterpieces that will last in the memories of the players for the rest of their gaming lives, and this is no exception. Unfortunately, an experienced player can beat the single player in around 5 or 6 hours in a good run, but they are without a doubt the best few hours you'llThe Dark humor and compelling puzzles make this a must play for anyone with a pulse. Valve consistently creates masterpieces that will last in the memories of the players for the rest of their gaming lives, and this is no exception. Unfortunately, an experienced player can beat the single player in around 5 or 6 hours in a good run, but they are without a doubt the best few hours you'll spend playing a game, until Half-life Episode 3. "I'm Cave Johnson, We're done here." Expand
  22. Apr 27, 2011
    Excellently crafted, beautifully scripted and flawlessly executed. Rarely can a game profess to have the narrative quality and pacing more frequently attributed to the worlds of film or literature; Portal 2 is more than a simple conglomeration of gameplay and graphical fidelity (although it is far from lacking in either field), it is a multi-layered experience intent on generating anExcellently crafted, beautifully scripted and flawlessly executed. Rarely can a game profess to have the narrative quality and pacing more frequently attributed to the worlds of film or literature; Portal 2 is more than a simple conglomeration of gameplay and graphical fidelity (although it is far from lacking in either field), it is a multi-layered experience intent on generating an emotional response from the end-user, however that may manifest itself.

Portal 2 is to date the finest and most completely successful example of gaming as an artform.
  23. Apr 30, 2011
    From the moment that i awoke in my relaxation room, i knew that Portal 2 was going to exceed all expectations that i had. Upon jumping out of the room, i had to stop playing just to show everyone in my household the hilarious writing that i had already seen. Did i mention i wasn't even 5 minutes into the game yet? I took a break for the day though after the intro, probably because i hadFrom the moment that i awoke in my relaxation room, i knew that Portal 2 was going to exceed all expectations that i had. Upon jumping out of the room, i had to stop playing just to show everyone in my household the hilarious writing that i had already seen. Did i mention i wasn't even 5 minutes into the game yet? I took a break for the day though after the intro, probably because i had already gotten more out of this game than i usually do out of other games i play. When i went back to playing it, i was hooked, and the game got better and better. As the game went on the puzzles got more creative, the characters were developed more fully than in almost any other game, DESPITE THE FACT that the characters were robots. Overall, i would say Portal 2 is a game that will hook you with it's plot twists and humorous characters, and is a game that nobody should miss. Expand
  24. Apr 27, 2011
    Awesome game! No flaws worth mentioning. I was a big fan of the first game, and I don't know why more people weren't. I tried to explain it to people who I'd have thought would like it, and their eyes glazed over, like "OK...". The second game picks up right where the other left off, with a little bit of a reminder as to how everything worked. Then it continues with the great sarcasticAwesome game! No flaws worth mentioning. I was a big fan of the first game, and I don't know why more people weren't. I tried to explain it to people who I'd have thought would like it, and their eyes glazed over, like "OK...". The second game picks up right where the other left off, with a little bit of a reminder as to how everything worked. Then it continues with the great sarcastic humor and perfectly thought-out challenges that just builds upon itself so cleverly in every way. Yeah, I'd give it a ten. Mind you, although I've finished the single-player, I've only spent about 45 mins on the co-op mode. I think that is brilliant so far too, but you should take that into account. Expand
  25. Apr 28, 2011
    This is an incredible game. The production/professionalism regarding Valve is unmatched. I cannot believe how well crafted this game was; I just cannot think of a single flaw. As far as graphics goes they're amazing and ran incredibly well with how ancient my computer is. The sound quality is also top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the ARG promotions and wonder why people alwaysThis is an incredible game. The production/professionalism regarding Valve is unmatched. I cannot believe how well crafted this game was; I just cannot think of a single flaw. As far as graphics goes they're amazing and ran incredibly well with how ancient my computer is. The sound quality is also top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed the ARG promotions and wonder why people always question a good thing. Ignorance I suppose. Anyways, if you're a mature player who enjoys an engaging story and a sense of accomplishment I highly encourage you to buy this game for yourself or as a gift on Steam. You will be a happy camper! Thanks for reading my review, and thanks Valve!!! Expand
  26. Apr 28, 2011
    Awesome game what more can I say. It makes you laugh, enjoy, think, it has also good graphics, sound effects, awesome voice acting and excellent story and co-op mode.
  27. Apr 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the gameplay and the gfx.
    This is the best game of its kind.
    And i really love the co-op mode in this game to play with your friends, thats just a awesome game!
    I can only recommend it.
  28. Apr 28, 2011
    This game is a serious game of the year contender. This game looks beautiful even using an old game engine, has an amazing story, awesome voice acting, and an ending that will truly leave you smiling and give you something to remember. This game was every thing I expected and more. If I had to recommend this game I most certainly would. The Co-op is super fun and allows you to play withThis game is a serious game of the year contender. This game looks beautiful even using an old game engine, has an amazing story, awesome voice acting, and an ending that will truly leave you smiling and give you something to remember. This game was every thing I expected and more. If I had to recommend this game I most certainly would. The Co-op is super fun and allows you to play with your friends for the first time in the Portal series. This Co-op is about as long as the story so it doubles the playability. You will most likely play this game more then once like i did with Portal and will do with Portal 2. Valve announcing today that there will be DLC's for this game, so you would expect to get a lot of game time out of this game. For the PC version of this game there will most definitely custom maps as well as challenge levels as there were in the first game. In conclusion, this game is a must buy that after all DLC's and custom maps you will get 30+ hours out of this puzzler. I highly recommend it to anyone, but a word of warning. if you are planing on buying this game and haven't played Portal 1 then go and play that first or you will be lost. Expand
  29. Jul 22, 2012
    Obviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. OverallObviously a 10/10. Tied with Skyrim for GOTY in my opinion. The story is amazing. The voice acting is amazing. The game also runs a bit smoother and seems a fair bit more polished than the original. And after you finish the game, co-op awaits you and a friend. Co-op is not just some tacked-on BS. It can stand up on its own. I got stuck a few times but I never had to cheat. Overall I could not have asked for more. I'd give it 11/10 if I could. Expand
  30. Apr 28, 2011
    Ahh Valve. You know how to make me laugh and make me sad, make me smile and make feel stupid for not seeing it sooner. The highs, the lows.. It's so brilliant. Well written, masterfully paced, beautifully atmospheric. This is one of the best games you can play. You can tell they had fun making this game. Get it and you won't be disappointed.
  31. Apr 28, 2011
    I loved it! This game had great puzzles, a great story, and great humor. I haven't laughed this much in a game ever. This game wasn't too long, but it was the right length. Any longer and I would have probably started getting tired of the puzzles, but they had the right pacing. I haven't tried much of the co-op yet but what I have played was pretty fun. It's nice to have to work withI loved it! This game had great puzzles, a great story, and great humor. I haven't laughed this much in a game ever. This game wasn't too long, but it was the right length. Any longer and I would have probably started getting tired of the puzzles, but they had the right pacing. I haven't tried much of the co-op yet but what I have played was pretty fun. It's nice to have to work with someone else and pick apart each other brains. One of the best games I think in the last couple years. Expand
  32. Dec 23, 2011
    Now that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically andNow that the game is less than $20, it is exactly where it needs to be: a perfect game for a cheap price. The single player campaign is short, but it is one of those games where it is so good and you are so engrossed in it that you are disappointed when it ends. Valve spent a lot of time on this game, and you can tell. This is a marvelous improvement from Portal I, both graphically and in the complexity of the puzzles. Oftentimes I would be bashing my head up against the wall trying to pull off complex stunts like in Portal I, when the solution would be much less about reflexes and much more about strategy. Not to mention that the storyline and voice acting are top notch. This is a game that is nearly literature in its depth, where you will actually feel emotionally moved and interested in the backstory and in the characters. However I was moved by GLADOS in the first Portal, the sequel expands this greatly. Really, if I was ever going to complain it would have been to say that $50 + DLC costs is a high price to pay for such a short experience, but now that it is cheaper I would say that this is the perfect experience for the perfect price. Expand
  33. Apr 29, 2011
    Fantastic game. Easily the funniest and best written game in history and one of the best games ever made period. Portal 2 is fun, smart and gorgeous. The people on metacritic who are rating it low because of a supposed "4-6 hour" campaign are either lying or stupid or both. The single player campaign took me 8 hours to play through on my first go and the Coop took about 7. That's 15 HoursFantastic game. Easily the funniest and best written game in history and one of the best games ever made period. Portal 2 is fun, smart and gorgeous. The people on metacritic who are rating it low because of a supposed "4-6 hour" campaign are either lying or stupid or both. The single player campaign took me 8 hours to play through on my first go and the Coop took about 7. That's 15 Hours of one of the greatest games ever, don't be an idiot, and buy it. Expand
  34. Apr 30, 2011
    The best game experience in last three years and one of the best games of decade. Studio Valve shows how to do game for gamers and also how to earn big money. Best studio in the whole industry. Story, humour, graphics in Portal 2 - everything is epic here. And... now announced DLC for all platforms FREE - who else can offer it to the players?
  35. Apr 30, 2011
    I really liked the game, almost a perfect continuation and it wasn't too short, luckily. It was REAL fun. But it wasn't a real challenge, not like the first game. I give it the max score because I trust that Valve will release DLC-s soon, with more challenging levels, so the fun is not over yet.
  36. Apr 30, 2011
    It's an excellent game. The Single Player is pretty long 7-10 hours. I must say the dialogues are fantastic and hilarious. Sometimes i did stop playing just to hear Wheatly talk. I have finished it 3 times and I'm still not tired of the dialogues. I will start playing coop soon , and I'm very happy that there is a whole new story in cooperative play! I will start creating maps soon and I'mIt's an excellent game. The Single Player is pretty long 7-10 hours. I must say the dialogues are fantastic and hilarious. Sometimes i did stop playing just to hear Wheatly talk. I have finished it 3 times and I'm still not tired of the dialogues. I will start playing coop soon , and I'm very happy that there is a whole new story in cooperative play! I will start creating maps soon and I'm really excited! I can keep myself entertained for weeks with custom maps. I'll be honest it's the best game of 2011 for me. Excellent job Valve! 10/10 Expand
  37. Apr 30, 2011
    This takes the first one, as amazing as it was and iron's out it's few issues. A brilliant game in every way and probably the best that this year will see. Those who say the game is short, will never be satisfied. No matter how much they make of this game, it will always leave you wanting MORE.
  38. Apr 30, 2011
    The Negative Nancies rating this game at 0-4 are all butt-hurt dwellers and trolls. I loved the new puzzle mechanics and story and hats off to the environment team because this test facility feels huge and alive! The last game I had this much fun playing was Portal 1.
  39. May 1, 2011
    I believe this game to be the best I've ever played, it took all the flair, originality and general awesomeness from Portal, and intensified it. The voice acting, humour, game play, puzzles, online co-op were all brilliant, and I loved every moment I spent playing this game.
  40. May 1, 2011
    The Left 4 Dead games, although brilliant, fell short for me as I prefer singleplayer story-driven games. Valve's singleplayer adventures are back and better than ever with Portal 2, and added to that is all they've learned about co-op with Left 4 Dead. This mix of a genuinely exciting and hilarious story with a separate, finely-crafted co-op campaign makes for Valve's best game since TheThe Left 4 Dead games, although brilliant, fell short for me as I prefer singleplayer story-driven games. Valve's singleplayer adventures are back and better than ever with Portal 2, and added to that is all they've learned about co-op with Left 4 Dead. This mix of a genuinely exciting and hilarious story with a separate, finely-crafted co-op campaign makes for Valve's best game since The Orange Box, the best game of 2011 so far and puts Portal 2 firmly in the sights for Game of the Year. Expand
  41. May 1, 2011
    Portal 1 is why I bought a PC for gaming, and it was worth the price of admission. As a result, I was introduced to Steam, and a host of wonderful games. However, no game since Portal 1 has caught my whole family's imagination, until Portal 2. The puzzles are just as fiendish, and the story just as intriguing. The cooperative mode will at least double the replayability of the game, makingPortal 1 is why I bought a PC for gaming, and it was worth the price of admission. As a result, I was introduced to Steam, and a host of wonderful games. However, no game since Portal 1 has caught my whole family's imagination, until Portal 2. The puzzles are just as fiendish, and the story just as intriguing. The cooperative mode will at least double the replayability of the game, making it an even better deal than the first game. My only complaint is that I wish there were more, but even at 8 hours of family collaboration on puzzle solving, it's a fine deal. I hope there's more content on the way. In summary, this is why I play PC games. Expand
  42. May 2, 2011
    Best game valve has produced to date. Great storytelling, animation, brilliant in a very minimal, pure way, with an innocent and entertaining plot. Simply the best puzzle game to come out in years.
  43. dos
    May 3, 2011
    Absolutely great sequel to absolutely great Portal. You'll fall in love with characters, story, Aperture-based background and plot points changing everything. Single player: 10/10 Co-op: 10/10 Final score: 10/10 :)
  44. May 2, 2011
    Portal 2 is a masterpiece. The game play is outstanding, the writing and voice acting are top notch, the levels and atmosphere are immersive, and both the single player scenario and the co-op game are just simply non-stop good plain FUN. It really is something special. There is only one flaw that I have come across in Portal 2: the game comes to an end. Hopefully updates and DLC will fixPortal 2 is a masterpiece. The game play is outstanding, the writing and voice acting are top notch, the levels and atmosphere are immersive, and both the single player scenario and the co-op game are just simply non-stop good plain FUN. It really is something special. There is only one flaw that I have come across in Portal 2: the game comes to an end. Hopefully updates and DLC will fix this. Seriously, this is a game that everyone can play and have a blast with. I found that it was worth it at full price. You'd certainly have to be out of your mind not to pick it up on sale. You monster. Expand
  45. May 2, 2011
    Portal 2 has taken the place of my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME!

Seriously. This is from someone with ~30 years of gaming experience. Portal 2 tops the original Portal, Half Life 2, Day of the Tentacle, and the Secret of Monkey island (some of my previous all-time favorites), and is just an incredible, enjoyable experience. I've spent about 25 hours with it so far, including
    Portal 2 has taken the place of my FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME!

Seriously.

I've spent about 25 hours with it so far, including single-player, co-op, starting to replay single-player with the commentary nodes, and going for achievements. With more free DLC announced already for the summer, I can say that there are many hours of game time left. This is a game I can see myself taking 'off the shelf' and replaying many years from now. And of the time that was spent.... brilliant. Just quality gameplay.

This is definitely a 'Must Play', and this is also the first time I have EVER written a game review in my life. The low user score prompted me to register on metacritic and write this. A game this good deserves a better score.
  46. May 2, 2011
    Before i start my review i have to say i'm dissapointed to find out how many STUPID people are out there saying theres DLC that costs over 50 euros, this "DLC" that people call are simple hats,skins and gestures for your co-op charatcer THEY DO NOT EFFECT GAMEPLAY AT ALL. DLC has been announced by valve for this summer it will feature new SP,CO OP and Chalange levels for FREE. Ok now timeBefore i start my review i have to say i'm dissapointed to find out how many STUPID people are out there saying theres DLC that costs over 50 euros, this "DLC" that people call are simple hats,skins and gestures for your co-op charatcer THEY DO NOT EFFECT GAMEPLAY AT ALL. DLC has been announced by valve for this summer it will feature new SP,CO OP and Chalange levels for FREE. Ok now time for my review, the game has brilliant voice acting and writing, the graphics are not shockingly good(but Still VERY GOOD) but once you check behinde the retail box and find out then this game could run on max settings with 6 year old PC you'll be shocked then valve managed to squeze out so much power from their old 2004 source engine, valve could probably make their old Gold engine look next gen. The SP in the game is 7-8 h long and the Co-Op is around 4 h, both game modes have their own story,characters and hilarious dialog. The game has one of the best endings i've seen in a videogame for a very very looooong time. So my final words are BUY THIS GAME, you won't regret it at all, ignore the stupid negative reviews which are probably just plain trolls. Expand
  47. May 2, 2011
    One of the best valve games ever , it has met my expectations with a bang and really shows that valve has what it takes to be right up there Graphics are fantastic cant see how any body with a brain can put this game down
  48. May 3, 2011
    Portal 2 is the best puzzle game I have ever played (though I don't play many). It's amazing from start to finish, with it's great humour and mind bending puzzles.

Portal 2 also includes a co-op mode which is just as good as the single player. The co-op puzzles can get quite difficult whilst using 4 portals, lasers, gels and more.. Portal 2 is the best game of it's type so far this

Portal 2 is the best game of it's type so far this year, or possibly the past 4 years, with great characters, dialog and fantastic plot.
  49. May 4, 2011
    Its amazing how a game actually manages to have the best gameplay, as well as the best acting and writing I've encountered thus far this year. If you enjoyed Portal 1, you'll enjoy this.
  50. May 4, 2011
    This is the Only game which i have ever played which tops the experience of portal 1. It has such an amazing scale of interaction with the player and it really does make you feel like you're there. There are some games which you can play but not experience and live so when youve played it you dont remember it. Portal 2 Completely overwhelms that by giving you an almost emotional attachmentThis is the Only game which i have ever played which tops the experience of portal 1. It has such an amazing scale of interaction with the player and it really does make you feel like you're there. There are some games which you can play but not experience and live so when youve played it you dont remember it. Portal 2 Completely overwhelms that by giving you an almost emotional attachment with the characters. When i played i really did fel angry at the betrayals and guilty for assuming incorrectly about characters. At the end there was only one thought that went through my head and that was 'i want to go back...NOW'. the gameplay has topped itself by making you constantly think and hope throughout the puzzles and the moment when your brain just 'clicks' into realisation gives you an amazing feeling of smugness. The graphics are amazing too with a huge improvement over portal 1 thereby making the game even more captivating. The multiplayer is amazing with a freind or a stranger since theres still the moment of realisation but then you are still feeling like you're beating the other player to completeing the puzzle. In conclusion i am hoping that the map maker that they are supposedly producing is soon released because that would be the only thing needed to keep players captivated for many more years.....or until Half-Life: episode 3 is released :) Expand
  51. May 5, 2011
    The quality of the game is simply amazing, the storyline is well made, the graphics are nice, the gameplay is outstanding. Valve sure knows how to make awesome video games. 10 / 10 !
  52. Jun 17, 2011
    I have only 1 complaint, it felt short. Even with the co-op. But it was a joy to play, hilariously funny, and fairly unique (other than the obvious---you know, the portals). Once you've finished it I'd recommend going through the levels and listening to the developer commentary. There are some very interesting tidbits in there. Also, the Final Hours of Portal 2 (on the iPad) sheds aI have only 1 complaint, it felt short. Even with the co-op. But it was a joy to play, hilariously funny, and fairly unique (other than the obvious---you know, the portals). Once you've finished it I'd recommend going through the levels and listening to the developer commentary. There are some very interesting tidbits in there. Also, the Final Hours of Portal 2 (on the iPad) sheds a lot of light on how original game play, new game play elements, and the story came together...almost at the last minute; plus some hints some possible new IP from Value. Expand
  53. May 5, 2011
    Very fun game, Funny character's, Great Story, but a little short for my taste. Still a great hit. It really can make you feel smart when you complete a level, but make's you feel dumb when if you get stuck for a few min's longer than you should have. One downfall, not bad enough to make my score change, but add more puzzle missions, just for fun, ya know they should have made moreVery fun game, Funny character's, Great Story, but a little short for my taste. Still a great hit. It really can make you feel smart when you complete a level, but make's you feel dumb when if you get stuck for a few min's longer than you should have. One downfall, not bad enough to make my score change, but add more puzzle missions, just for fun, ya know they should have made more Test's you could do, not for the main story. They did a great job with Co-op, play PC with PS3, to bad they didn't make a solo style one also, like campaign but without the story. Expand
  54. May 6, 2011
    The people rating this game low are wrong. Objectively. Look, I'm usually the first to say that art is subjective, and opinions are opinions, but you are wrong here.

First, the difficulty - of *course* Portal 2 felt easier. Go back and play Portal again. See how easy it is now? In fact, playing Portal again is very instructive, because it highlights just how much of an improvement Portal 2 is. Half of the difficulty in Portal was learning to 'think with Portals' - it was the underlying game mechanic that made it difficult. Once the novelty wears off, of course things are easier.

Portal worked because it had a tight focus and a deep sense of isolation - there were only 5 characters (depending on how you define characters - Rat Man, Chell, GLADoS, Turret(s), and Companion Cube), only one was human, and that was fantastic. But the sequel is funnier. It has better writing and direction throughout. More variety in the puzzles and environments.

It is a very different game, but if Valve had just made 'another Portal', it would have felt like a hollow sequel. They instead tried new things, both with the puzzles and with the narrative. The listened to the old advice of innovate or die.

Now, for the DLC criticisms. Please read this: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8819-Experienced-Points-DLC-for-Dummies
  55. May 7, 2011
    This is a great game, I LOVE IT! The characters fit with the game, and it seems like revenge from Portal 1. There's many mysterious events in this game that completely changed the entire game! I don't like to give spoilers, but while you play this game, you won't believe how much the game changes while you're through the game. From time to time, the characters change, Everything goesThis is a great game, I LOVE IT! The characters fit with the game, and it seems like revenge from Portal 1. There's many mysterious events in this game that completely changed the entire game! I don't like to give spoilers, but while you play this game, you won't believe how much the game changes while you're through the game. From time to time, the characters change, Everything goes completely different, after a while the game gets confusing and a TRUE puzzle. Most people say its quick, because a lot of people press "alt, tab", go on youtube, and watch the tutorial, then it takes less than 5 minutes. The game is a lot more fun when you don't go on videos to cheat, watch spoilers, and much more to ruin this game. Ok, so anyway. These puzzles are outstanding, the maps are great and the obstacle courses are unbelievable! Your mind will be blown at the begining of this gameplay if you buy this game. So, If you haven't bought it yet, It's totally worth the money! Expand
  56. May 7, 2011
    The most enjoyable 6 hours of gaming I've had in years. The puzzles were balanced pretty much perfectly, the dialogue writing was funny, and the visuals are stunning. What else can you ask for? Eagerly waiting to try out the co-op mode next.
  57. May 7, 2011
    A worthy successor to Portal. The game's fast paced puzzling and humor are it's strong points. And for those looking for more of a challenge the co-op mode offers more complex puzzles. Though it's a longer game than the original, it's still only 5-10 hours long depending on your pacing. However, these are 5-10 hours well worth spending.
  58. May 8, 2011
    Portal 2 is a new fresh addition to the game-world of today, when I think of none-violence games that really made it Portal and the Sims are the only ones that comes to mind. Like it's predecessor Portal (1), Portal 2 is a puzzle based game played out with portals with a sense of humor. The game is great and well thought through, although the Singelplayer missions miss the "magic" thatPortal 2 is a new fresh addition to the game-world of today, when I think of none-violence games that really made it Portal and the Sims are the only ones that comes to mind. Like it's predecessor Portal (1), Portal 2 is a puzzle based game played out with portals with a sense of humor. The game is great and well thought through, although the Singelplayer missions miss the "magic" that Portal (1) had, but that is gained in the new co-op mode. The only thing that brings it down is that it's not Portal (1), and that's it's only flaw. It's not easy to be the sequel to what can possibly be the best game ever made. 10/10 Expand
  59. May 26, 2011
    BEST GAME BY VALVE AT THE MOMENT! They always know how to deliver the quality of a game that we want. Valve is the number 1 game developer at the moment and I can positively say, that this is a game you should buy. Now we must just wait for HL2 Episode 3
  60. May 10, 2011
    I agree with many of you in that Valve; did it again; in making another great game. For some of you; Valve created Steam; and Steam is on PC; so some of you say that it was ported from console system; the answer is no. Steam is much older than xbox 360 and ps3; and that it was originally built on a pc; eventually expanded it to console systems. I wont tell the end of the game; but it isI agree with many of you in that Valve; did it again; in making another great game. For some of you; Valve created Steam; and Steam is on PC; so some of you say that it was ported from console system; the answer is no. Steam is much older than xbox 360 and ps3; and that it was originally built on a pc; eventually expanded it to console systems. I wont tell the end of the game; but it is one; that will astonish you. Expand
  61. May 10, 2011
    Whoever is giving this game negative reps needs to wake up and smell the reality. THIS IS THE BEST PC GAME EVER MADE. The plot is fantastic, the gameplay is just awesome, the length is goodly, the co-op is very cool... I just can't think of enough good things to say about it. I have friends who play it on Xbox and PS3, and even they say it's better than anything they're ever seen. Yes, IWhoever is giving this game negative reps needs to wake up and smell the reality. THIS IS THE BEST PC GAME EVER MADE. The plot is fantastic, the gameplay is just awesome, the length is goodly, the co-op is very cool... I just can't think of enough good things to say about it. I have friends who play it on Xbox and PS3, and even they say it's better than anything they're ever seen. Yes, I know that it isn't Call of Duty- that doesn't mean that it has to get a negative review, derp. Portal 2 exceeded all my expectations, and I look forward to the DLC map package coming out this summer. Expand
  62. May 10, 2011
    Great game. I can't decide what game I like better, Portal, or Portal 2. I think I'll go with portal because it felt so original at the time, but by definition the sequel can't be completely original. That doesn't mean it is a rehash - not in the least. They introduce plenty of fun new concepts to combine and play with. That along with some new feeling locations within the compound, newGreat game. I can't decide what game I like better, Portal, or Portal 2. I think I'll go with portal because it felt so original at the time, but by definition the sequel can't be completely original. That doesn't mean it is a rehash - not in the least. They introduce plenty of fun new concepts to combine and play with. That along with some new feeling locations within the compound, new characters and dialog, etc. it never feels like the same old thing. Although I think I liked Portal 1 a little bit better overall, I liked the ending of Portal 2 better, it can easily be described as epic. If you liked Portal 1, you'll like this just as much. Highly recommended! Expand
  63. May 12, 2011
    There's no magic inside, just the stuff I would expect from any serious studio. Paradoxically, its still an exception. Considering the garbage thrown at us from all sides, Portal 2 is creating contrast and deserves 10+.
  64. May 13, 2011

Extended review about this great game. No spoilers, some teary moments. Enjoy my friends.
  65. May 13, 2011
    Portal 2 has become one of my favorite games of all time and will probably be runner up only to Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim for my favorite game of the year. The levels were innovative and challenging enough to make me think but not get aggravated and predictably Portal 2 had me laughing all the way to the end or the credits. Also, I don't understand why a bunch idiots gave Portal 2 a badPortal 2 has become one of my favorite games of all time and will probably be runner up only to Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim for my favorite game of the year. The levels were innovative and challenging enough to make me think but not get aggravated and predictably Portal 2 had me laughing all the way to the end or the credits. Also, I don't understand why a bunch idiots gave Portal 2 a bad review because it was too short. One could easily rack up over 20 hours with single player, coop, and the developer commentary. Just because you're forever alone, have no friends to play coop, and the single player (half the game) is not long enough for you doesn't make it a bad game. Climb out of your basement and socialize with other meat bags. Expand
  66. May 13, 2011
    It's true to say this isn't the longest game in the world, coming in at about 8-9hrs for single player alone. This is however, the best 9hrs I have spent playing a video game in a long long time, if ever. This isn't just a fun way to kill 9hrs. This is the kind of game that has you gripped from the moment you make your first move. This game is filled with moments that will just blow youIt's true to say this isn't the longest game in the world, coming in at about 8-9hrs for single player alone. This is however, the best 9hrs I have spent playing a video game in a long long time, if ever. This isn't just a fun way to kill 9hrs. This is the kind of game that has you gripped from the moment you make your first move. This game is filled with moments that will just blow you away.

Personally, I wouldn't ask for it to be any longer. It's length is perfect for the story that is told. If I had to recommend a Valve game to a friend I'd choose this. Over Portal 1, over Team Fortress, yes even over Half-life 2. This is valve at their best. They've taken gameplay and turned it into an art form that is nigh on perfect.

When a game is this good, who can blame people for wanting more?
  67. May 13, 2011
    I really enjoyed the sequal to one of my most favorite games of all time. I do think that some reviews on here are, however poorly done.
    The gameplay is still the same as the first Portal, it is still difficult in some parts, requiring some thought (this isn't for those FPS-minded people). The story is wonderful and hilarious, Cave Johnson being a comical character as well as Wheatley, but who could still forget GlaDOS's cruel speeches, one of the things that made the first Portal so wonderful.
    I just have a hard time thinking of any cons, I was able to get this game for $30, and I find the price totally justified. One thing that Valve does so well and that some reviewers seem to not take into mind is the massive customization of their games. All of their games have custom maps, mods, and the like, and with such a big community (and websites just dedicated to this stuff), the games are easily replayable years later. Another thing I noticed is about the DLC, I think people are overreacting to it, its no different to Team Fortress 2's system as in you don't need it to beat the game, its just for aesthetic purposes, it does not mean they will start charging you to do certain things (how do people get these ideas?).

As for being a console port, I fail to see how it is a console port as the PC version is the best version to get as you get free patches and extremely easy access to custom content. If its graphics, their not trying to create Graphic-intense games (Although they still look good). And there are hardly any bugs that I have seen that distracts from gameplay.
  68. May 15, 2011
    It's impossible to give a note from this game different from 10.Its perfect in every detail and really drags you into it...Amazing!Perfect!Sublime!Simply the best Valve game ever.
  69. May 16, 2011
    Portal 2 is a unique puzzle/adventure game! it is full of great set pieces, and some of the most memorable moments in gaming history, and also dont forget the hilarious humor Portal 2 has to offer! Please check out our full Portal 2 review! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOswzF-i6mQ
  70. May 16, 2011
    This game is action packed, not only that it has a great story to it and it keeps you on the edge of your seat always wanting more. The graphics are stunning and it plays tricks with your mind its a brain teaser and makes you think. I like the fact its linked through my PS3 through steam so I can continue on either platform. If you want a great game that is alot of fun and begs you to keepThis game is action packed, not only that it has a great story to it and it keeps you on the edge of your seat always wanting more. The graphics are stunning and it plays tricks with your mind its a brain teaser and makes you think. I like the fact its linked through my PS3 through steam so I can continue on either platform. If you want a great game that is alot of fun and begs you to keep playing it I highly recommend this game to anyone.

Thanks

ucjohn
  71. Aug 26, 2012
    Love glados passive agressive comments, wheatley thats designed to be a moron ;). Maybe there are games out there that will give you more playtime hours , bigger challenges, better graphic etc. But i really doubt that there's even one that will put smile on your face more times then Portal 2.
  72. May 19, 2011
    Portal 2 is 14 hours of gameplay. I think I spent good time with this valve's game :) I'm waiting for a dlc :) Valve is doing the best games of the world!
  73. May 17, 2011
    Perfect, this game is a ten. The reason I bought this game was for the campaign and it definitely delivered after having to fill some pretty big shoes left by Portal 1. Over the past couple years, I have played through Portal several times and have a strong feeling Portal 2 will offer then same incentive. The voice acting and characters in this iteration of Portal shine as you work yourPerfect, this game is a ten. The reason I bought this game was for the campaign and it definitely delivered after having to fill some pretty big shoes left by Portal 1. Over the past couple years, I have played through Portal several times and have a strong feeling Portal 2 will offer then same incentive. The voice acting and characters in this iteration of Portal shine as you work your way through the different puzzle rooms. Portal 2 offers a great combination of platforming challenge and storytelling. It is a ton of fun figuring out where to place your portals while listening to the witty banter from the characters around you.

I would recommend Portal to anyone who really doesn't play video games and now there is another recommendation, Portal 2.
  74. May 17, 2011
    Portal 2 sets the bar miles above anything else Valve has done. Its writing, voice acting, pacing, game mechanics, art direction, and level design are pure genius.
    I've played literally hundreds of video games over my life; good and bad, across many different genres. Portal 2 exceeds ALL of them in nearly every way. Put simply, Portal 2 is the best game I have ever played, and probably one of the best ever made.
  75. May 17, 2011
    Great Game! About twice as long as the first one and it played very well. The story was new and not completely predictable. They added new game play elements that were great and the coop was even better! For everyone that marked this game down for all the day one DLC, the DLC was only costumes. Who really wants the costumes anyways? All in All, I loved this game!
  76. Jul 29, 2011
    An already original and fantastic game got a sequel. I instantly knew that I HAD to get this game as soon as possible, because I knew I would love it, since the first one was so great. It turns out I was completely right about that. Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor, it adds more characters, an actual plot, and it also adds many new puzzle elements to an already fun gameplay,An already original and fantastic game got a sequel. I instantly knew that I HAD to get this game as soon as possible, because I knew I would love it, since the first one was so great. It turns out I was completely right about that. Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor, it adds more characters, an actual plot, and it also adds many new puzzle elements to an already fun gameplay, things such as excursion funnels, repulsion and propulsion gels, aerial faith plates, etc. The game manages to keep on a similar style of addictive humour as the first one, and it has fantastic voice actors who really have done a brilliant job. This game shouldn't leave you bored, because the puzzles are much more diverse now than in the first game and there are a lot of them. Additionally the game does bring up a huge variety of emotions throughout the story, both happy and sad. Portal 2 really is a complete package, because on top of an incredibly fun single-player story mode, it manages to have gorgeous graphics, a really great in-game music, and even a co-op play. I don't mean to sound like a fanboy, but a game that can challenge you both logically and emotionally is a game really worth trying. Portal 2 gets a golden star from me, no doubt about it. Expand
  77. Jun 15, 2011
    I loved Portal... I really did. And I love Portal 2 even more! From cynical little english robot to GlaDOS made into a potato. Whoever invented the thing with the liquids should be prasied. I had fun and can say that the CO-OP is the ONLY real co-op in today's games. The need of thinking in team and solve puzzles is just awesome and practically really hard without a voice chat. I applaudI loved Portal... I really did. And I love Portal 2 even more! From cynical little english robot to GlaDOS made into a potato. Whoever invented the thing with the liquids should be prasied. I had fun and can say that the CO-OP is the ONLY real co-op in today's games. The need of thinking in team and solve puzzles is just awesome and practically really hard without a voice chat. I applaud Valve. 10.0 :D

p.s.: Do not mind that it is a bit overpriced! It is certainly worth the price :)
  78. May 19, 2011
    10/10 - I struggle to give 10/10 for a game, and don't misunderstand - this game isn't absolutely perfect - but it is as close to perfection as a game is likely to get and 9/10 just doesn't seem good enough. The story and script is top notch, the graphics and controls are all but flawless and the sense of achievement is thoroughly satisfying.
    If I had to criticize - it would be out of a
    If I had to criticize - it would be out of a desire for more! The game isn't all that replayable until some time has passed for you to forget some of the puzzles. It would be nice to have a set of "challenge" levels to really stretch the old noggin.
    All-in-all, best game I have played in the last couple of years by quite a way.
  79. May 19, 2011
    Absolutely brilliant game. If you like puzzles at all this is a must buy. My only minor gripe would be that the single-player was dumbed down just a bit compared to the first game. However, everything else about the game is perfect.
  80. Dec 9, 2011
    There's really nothing I can add to the 2400 other reviews here. Portal 2 is really amazing, both in single player and co-op. One should really play Portal first, to get the appropriate context (and a slightly more gentle introduction to the portal mechanics).

The voice acting, visuals, and story are all extremely good, and of course the gameplay is classic Portal with some fun new additions.
  81. May 22, 2011
    The best game this year! It's miles away in quality from other puzzle games on the PC (exept for Braid I suppouse). What's great: story, dialogs, CHARACTER DESIGN, LEVEL DESIGN, co-op mode, music score, tutorials
    What's wrong: may be slightly too unrealistic physics for a game that bases on it so heavily...
  82. May 20, 2011
    Portal 2 brings back Aperture Laboratories in a whole new world and new characters. It's unforgettable and funny while testing the player's brain at mind bending puzzles. It's an awesome game that tests the brain while having the awesomeness of an action/adventure game. Portal 2 will encourage players to use their brain to solve these mind bending puzzles, a perfect game to ensure brainPortal 2 brings back Aperture Laboratories in a whole new world and new characters. It's unforgettable and funny while testing the player's brain at mind bending puzzles. It's an awesome game that tests the brain while having the awesomeness of an action/adventure game. Portal 2 will encourage players to use their brain to solve these mind bending puzzles, a perfect game to ensure brain usage during the summer unlike mindless killing games. Expand
  83. Aug 10, 2011
    I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game,I just bought this game a few days ago. I haven't beaten it yet (I know its short), but so far it has won me over. This game, like the first, has such a charm to it that your left flabbergasted at how well put together it is. From the graphics to the voice acting, to the story line and the way its put together to the puzzles. I know I will end up spending hours upon end on this game, probably not only with the main storyline, but also with custom content and MP. Thank you valve, you actually managed to create a game with a proper sense of humor (the reds apparently didn't "get it"). I don't mind that it's short, aslong as those hours spent completing the game are spent with a big-ass smile on my face I am good. With this game I am smiling after I shut it down for the night. Expand
  84. May 22, 2011
    Valve is one of the developers in this world that I trust unconditionally. They are a developer that make any kind of game they want, and I will support it. Although this may be considered slight fanboyism, and I'll admit I do tend to defend Valve whenever I can, Valve has the track record for me to trust them unconditionally. Portal 2 further reinforces this standpoint. Although itValve is one of the developers in this world that I trust unconditionally. They are a developer that make any kind of game they want, and I will support it. Although this may be considered slight fanboyism, and I'll admit I do tend to defend Valve whenever I can, Valve has the track record for me to trust them unconditionally. Portal 2 further reinforces this standpoint. Although it seems to take itself a little less serious than the first Portal, I found myself not caring, as I chuckled and laughed at almost every bit of dialogue muttered. The puzzles also seem to be an overall upgrade from the first. I did infact find myself a little stuck on a few puzzles. However, after standing around and thinking for a good 10 minutes, I finally realized what I should be doing. Valve has done a marvelous job with Portal 2, the writing is several times above it's predecessor, and the additional characters, and sheer absurdity of some bits are quite a welcome difference from the super serious space marine adventure normally found in games nowadays. Portal 2 is probably the best game I've played in the past few years, being preceded by Uncharted 2, and Half-Life 2. Well worth the money I spent, and I will most definitely relive this game quite a few times in the future. Expand
  85. May 24, 2011
    I liked Portal 2 just as much as I liked Portal 1. Both games are very good. Me and my brother thoroughly enjoyed the co-op portion of the game. I'm looking forward to the third installment!
  86. May 22, 2011
    Portal 2 is a ridiculously fun game, and worth every penny. Possibly the best game ever made. Single player is brilliant, co-op was a joy. The storytelling was tight and inventive, as well as being hilarious. Everyone should play this game!
  87. May 25, 2011
    Amazing game. I was curious where they were going to take the story because portal one didn't have too much story. But the puzzles are fun and the game's story is really well done. It is an amazing work of art.
  88. May 27, 2011
    Just a 10 of 10.. brilliant humor and fantastic and challenging levels.. something for the brain and soul! No bugs/problems during gameplay (three times) and multiplayer co-op. Everything i expect from a game
  89. May 28, 2011
    Great, great, great game!! I, like many others, loved the first one and I am glad that the 2nd one comes back with just as much passion. In my mind it is just as good as the first one, but by that virtue it means that the novelty is not quite as high. That is a non-issue though. Everything that was awesome about the first one is awesome again in this one. I also still have the endGreat, great, great game!! I, like many others, loved the first one and I am glad that the 2nd one comes back with just as much passion. In my mind it is just as good as the first one, but by that virtue it means that the novelty is not quite as high. That is a non-issue though. Everything that was awesome about the first one is awesome again in this one. I also still have the end credit song in my head. Expand
  90. Jul 6, 2011
    The combined experience of the singleplayer and multiplayer campaigns is, quite simply, a prime example of why Video Games can be considered a respectable entertainment medium. Delightful, funny, challenging, and rewarding from beginning to end, Portal 2 offers you and a friend an unforgettable journey through the world of Aperture Science.
  91. May 29, 2011
    I am ashamed that some people gave this a bad review because they brought out some DLC on the day of release. This is atrocious , childish and extremely petty behavior. That is similar to giving a car you bought a bad review because they offered you an optional extra, despite this being the launch of the car.
    You don't have to get the DLC, why should it influence the score? Now onto the
    You don't have to get the DLC, why should it influence the score? Now onto the game. It was amazing.I enjoyed every moment of the campaign. The graphics were beautiful. The gameplay was innovative and extremely fun. The dialogue was extremely witty. Every moment of this game was worth the money. To those who say the campaign was too short I pose the question what would you add? If they pushed it any further there was too great a risk of the game becoming repetative. The co-op was extremely fun. True, i think they could have put in a challenge course with more difficult courses, but overall i found it really really fun. In conclusion this is a near perfect game, an instant classic. It was satisfying from start to finish and easily replayable. A must own for gamers of every level.
  92. May 29, 2011
    This is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twistsThis is an improvement in every way, shape or form to the first game. Don't pay attention to the disgruntled PC gaming fans - they're mostly pissed off that this gem isn't 'theirs' anymore, and therefore are looking for every straw man they can to diss the game. Fact is, the single player campaign is at least three times as long as the previous one; it features a couple of plot twists which will make you scratch your head and keep playing just to see what's going on; and new gameplay devices are introduced smoothly and expertly, never overwhelming the player. It's also interesting to see how Valve handled co-op mode: it's a whole new campaign by itself, and it features an indicator system that may not be as effective as using an actual headset, but it's surprisingly functional all the same. All in all, there's nothing wrong to be found here... Unless you're so spoiled about game length to the point that 16 hours devoted to high quality gaming isn't as good as 40 hours managing inventory just so you can endure another 40 hours of medieval fantasy cliches. Then, and only then, Portal 2 isn't the game for you. Expand
  93. May 31, 2011
    Seriously good game with a vastly updated source engine incorporating extremely detailed shadows and liquid physics, which the later are used extensively in the puzzles later in the game. The game itself is split in two parts, 1 being the single player which is roughly 9-10 hours long and then the coop campaign which is completely separate to the single player. The coop itself has someSeriously good game with a vastly updated source engine incorporating extremely detailed shadows and liquid physics, which the later are used extensively in the puzzles later in the game. The game itself is split in two parts, 1 being the single player which is roughly 9-10 hours long and then the coop campaign which is completely separate to the single player. The coop itself has some nice features, including being able to play along side PS3 users in the first true cross platform game ever made and if you buy it on the PS3 you get a free steam copy to play on your PC, which makes the game even more of a bargain. Easily one of the best games I've ever played, with the right balance of story telling, jaw dropping graphics and effects, plus humour, which is often a lacking element in todays gaming market. Expand
  94. Jun 2, 2011
    Who say's games can't be art?

This has, without a doubt, the single greatest put together story of any game to this date, and that includes RPG's and the like. It is non-stop hilarious from start to finish with fantastic twists along the way. The dialogue is completely up to standard and actually blows it predecessor out the water for dark humour. Some is more in your face, but it
    Who say's games can't be art?

The dialogue is completely up to standard and actually blows it predecessor out the water for dark humour. Some is more in your face, but it doesn't stop it from being funny. JK Simmons, Steven Merchant and Ellen McLain as the 3 lead (vocal) characters are without a doubt the best choices Valve could have made. They truly made this game.

The story is new and innovative. The gameplay, whilst similar to the original, differs enough that you don't feel like you're reliving the same game twice. There are new toys for you to mess around with along with some old ones and even some old test chambers to reintegrate you into the newly demolished Aperture Science labs.

The story is that of book quality and will leave you wanting more and more even after the story ends. That's when you know you've written something wonderful. The player leaves satisfied and wanting more but knows they'll never get it, and that's how it should be.

The multiplayer was a great addition too, playing co-op with a stranger or friend online, tripping each other up as much as you aid one another, truly one of the most 'co-operative' co-ops out there to date, most the time it's just "let's shoot these guys I could deal with on my own, together!". But now your partner has an actual use, without them you'll be stuck in the first chamber, and if they can't figure it out, you're there to help, and vice versa. You can't just kill all the enemies and wait for a door to pop open, you have to find a way to open that door yourselves and then find a way up there, it's not just going to throw you into the next batch of obstacles, you actually have to earn your rite of passage.

It's challenging enough to give you a sense of accomplishment whilst being simple enough so that you don't quit in frustration, a difficult balance to find but Valve have achieved it almost fluidly.

Weighing up the pro's and the non-existent cons, I find it hard to rate this game at anything other than 10.
  95. Dec 3, 2012
    I must say 10/10! Great job to valve for this one, I played and loved portal 1 but waited until portal 2 went on sale as I expected it to be a short game. That being said the game is worth at least $20! The characters are EXCELLENT they actually made me laugh a few times, much improved from the already great portal 1. The game is longer than portal 1 but took me about 5 hours to completeI must say 10/10! Great job to valve for this one, I played and loved portal 1 but waited until portal 2 went on sale as I expected it to be a short game. That being said the game is worth at least $20! The characters are EXCELLENT they actually made me laugh a few times, much improved from the already great portal 1. The game is longer than portal 1 but took me about 5 hours to complete taking my time and not using any help. There is also a multiplayer component that I have yet to touch which I am sure can add many more hours of entertainment. If your new to portal, definitely play portal 1 first as this is a direct sequel and many things that make this game great (story wise) will be lost to you. The background this game gives you on aperture and why you are there is outstanding and was truly unexpected from me. This is a terrific game for all ages, perfectly polished, great graphics, great story, excellent voice acting/character development with the ONLY con being it is short. With the price tag it carries today it is well worth the price and often goes on sale for $5, I encourage all to buy it. Expand
  96. Jun 3, 2011
    FANTASTIC! The fundamental problem with reviews on this game is the writers don't understand that, even if the single player campaign six or seven hours long, the potency makes up for it. What am I saying, makes up for it. It was exactly the length it should have been. You play $60 for the experience. it had a phenomenal sound track, a brilliant story line, a great sense of humor, a designFANTASTIC! The fundamental problem with reviews on this game is the writers don't understand that, even if the single player campaign six or seven hours long, the potency makes up for it. What am I saying, makes up for it. It was exactly the length it should have been. You play $60 for the experience. it had a phenomenal sound track, a brilliant story line, a great sense of humor, a design beyond any expectation I had for the game, and fantastic puzzles. There was absolutely nothing bad about this game. Anyone who thinks $60 is an expensive price for a game has clearly never spent any significant amount of time trying to program one. Expand
  97. Jun 3, 2011
    Awesome game. Much more premade content than Portal 1 and quite a few new mechanics. I thought the story, acting and comedy was grade A. I couldn't wait to solve the puzzles to get to the great dialog of GLaDOS, Cave Johnson, and Wheatley.

To address some critiques: Length - I can see where some feel the game is a bit short. However I counter that it was no shorter than the storylines

To address some critiques:
    Length - I can see where some feel the game is a bit short. However I counter that it was no shorter than the storylines of most of the first person shooters out there and every aspect is top quality, no filler here. Beyond that they have already released a level editor for beta testing. Once it is finished you'll theoretically have an unlimited number of puzzles to solve.

Replayability - Level editor solves this. User generated content can make this as replayable as an FPS multiplayer mode.

Difficulty - The puzzles were relatively easy. An adult of average intelligence should be able to solve each single player puzzle in 10-30 minutes imo. This may seem dumbed down but I feel the difficulty was similar in Portal one. Perhaps it was 15-35 minutes instead but they still weren't mensa level puzzles you take all day on. I'm sure this was partly done to ensure a wide audience. Not everyone enjoys tackling impossible problems (I do but don't require it to have fun). I also think it had a lot to do with pacing. I found the balance between the dialog and the length of the puzzles to be perfect. The puzzles were difficult enough that you gained satisfaction just from solving them and gave time to stew on the last tidbit of the backstory of the lab but they were not so difficult that you would get stuck or take so long that your enthusiasm to hear the next bit of dialog would wane. I found the multiplayer puzzles to be a little more challenging but still not mensa level. I think the level editor will once again provide for everyone. I'm sure some extremely devious levels will be devised by people as well as many more medium level puzzles like the game comes with.
  98. Jun 3, 2011
    What a fantastic game! One of Valves best, no doubt. It is well executed like the first, and unlike other sequels. The sounds, the artwork, the conception, all simply beautiful and magnificent as the first. On a personal note I preferred the stereotypical Apeture Labs testing setting, but I suppose they didn't make the game for me. I give it a ten out of ten with flying colors!

1. Pelit (Finland)