Portal PC

9.3

1. MikeA.
    Oct 19, 2007
    An innovative and entertaining experience!
  2. MegsY.
    Oct 19, 2007
    Amazing, innovative game play with the engine we know and love. I highly recommend it.
  3. DavidP.
    Oct 21, 2007
    Short but oh, so sweet. So very fun. The game manages to train you and make you feel clever at the same time, and they do a good job of not stumping you for too long. The ending has geeky brilliance. I haven't enjoyed the ending music this much since I finished Zelda 3 (12 years ago). The ending song has been in my head all week long. Almost continuously. Buy a cake and be prepared Short but oh, so sweet. So very fun. The game manages to train you and make you feel clever at the same time, and they do a good job of not stumping you for too long. The ending has geeky brilliance. I haven't enjoyed the ending music this much since I finished Zelda 3 (12 years ago). The ending song has been in my head all week long. Almost continuously. Buy a cake and be prepared to eat it when you finish the game! You deserve it! (By the way, you may enjoy an increased field-of-view. In console, type "sv_cheats 1", then "fov 95".) Expand
  4. Aegis
    Oct 21, 2007
    Hail the Cake! Portal is the smartest game creation ever, with its witty level design and smart fun jokes. I like its humor, clean tone and the amazing concept execution. A classic!
  5. JonnyM.
    Oct 20, 2007
    This is simply the best narrated and designed game I've ever played, and I played damn many good games!
  6. DouglasH.
    Oct 20, 2007
    The computer makes me laugh and the mind bending puzzles are a delight. The advanced are just that more advanced versions of the regular ones. Fun to play all around. Can't wait for the next one.
  7. AvaryC.
    Oct 20, 2007
    Greatest game ever created on this planet, period. The one flaw was it's laength but it's still the most fun, creative, and brain-twisting thing I've ever seen. I'm hoping for a second.
  8. Allan
    Oct 20, 2007
    Highly addicting gameplay, and a truly awe inspiring physics engine. The newest concept I've seen in years.
  9. JasonR.
    Oct 22, 2007
    This game is PERFECT! It's amazingly funny, quite fun, perfect length, and tons of replayability through achievements and soon to come custom maps. The critics who give this game less than a 95 can bite me.
  10. Mikhail
    Dec 20, 2007
    A 10 is no easy score and Portal is, IMO, very close. As far as gameplay goes I can't think of anything that should be changed/added/removed. The pacing is superb and I do not believe that it is a bad thing that Portal tends to leave players wanting more game time. I have only one issue with this game: Portal had a chance to push more then just gameplay mechanics but actaully be A 10 is no easy score and Portal is, IMO, very close. As far as gameplay goes I can't think of anything that should be changed/added/removed. The pacing is superb and I do not believe that it is a bad thing that Portal tends to leave players wanting more game time. I have only one issue with this game: Portal had a chance to push more then just gameplay mechanics but actaully be interactive commentary on games. The path towards that goal branched off at the end of test #19. Precisely the moment the player survives what could be seen as the "end of the game". Expand
  11. JimR.
    Dec 2, 2007
    If only all games were this innovative, or even 1 out of 10. Redefines the boundaries in gaming and even makes you think twice about real life. Superbly enjoyable.
  12. JasonS.
    Dec 27, 2007
    Completely awesome, except too short, although I hope they make a longer one!
  13. LouisS.
    Oct 23, 2007
    Good game, puzzles are fun, the talking in the background and strory are amusing. Main problem with this game is that it's way too short, barly took an evening to finish.
  14. eatmopie
    Oct 25, 2007
    This game has restored my faith in humanity. If you are intellligent, you will love it.
  15. PeterB.
    Dec 5, 2007
    Very good, it feels like the strategy genre re-invented, crossed with an FPS! highly recommend to anyone interesting in gaming of any genre!
  16. GraemeF.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Utterly brilliant. Don't be put off by reports of being "short" - it's just right! You'll want to play it again, there are several advanced levels, and the prospect of user generated levels in the future. And anyway, the end is the best bit, so it'd be a shame if everybody didn't manage to experience it...
  17. BrennanB.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Fun fun fun, I like how you have to keep an open mind to progress in the game. It is definetly worth buying the orange box for, or worth buying it seperately.
  18. BeerdK.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Best game I've played in a long time. Creativity DOES count for something, gentlemen Developers.
  19. AntonG.
    Oct 27, 2007
    This game is novel and has good style. Game is very interesting though levels are simply and game is short. If there be next part / episode, i'd like to see more difficult puzzles and hazards so completing game be more challenging.
  20. DanH.
    Oct 28, 2007
    The mechanics and personality of this game is unlike anything youve ever expirienced before!
  21. ChristerS.
    Oct 28, 2007
    A great and innovative game. The overall story and how it was implemented was top notch! I loved the ending.
  22. JoelP.
    Oct 29, 2007
    Its simple, yet can get complicated at the same time, Classic. Innovation and a low pricetag, 10/10
  23. thev.dog
    Oct 31, 2007
    A great game; I loved GLaDOS's unwittingly funny passive-aggressive remarks, the endearing but deadly turrets, the uniqueness of the gameplay (action orientated puzzles + FPS is pure win). There are just two things that stop me giving it a 10; primarily, the lack of harder puzzles- the storyline puzzles aren't a challenge until quite late in the game, and there are only 6 A great game; I loved GLaDOS's unwittingly funny passive-aggressive remarks, the endearing but deadly turrets, the uniqueness of the gameplay (action orientated puzzles + FPS is pure win). There are just two things that stop me giving it a 10; primarily, the lack of harder puzzles- the storyline puzzles aren't a challenge until quite late in the game, and there are only 6 advanced levels- and secondly, it's just too short- just as it's getting really good, it's all over (the ending, by the way, is brilliant). Please Valve, release the SDK so we can fill in those gaps and make it the best game ever, at least until you release Portal 2. Expand
  24. MagnusP.
    Oct 30, 2007
    Excellent puzzle game. The puzzles are generally challenging enough to be a trial without becoming frustrating. The sound, voice and music are also outstanding.
  25. KevynA.
    Oct 31, 2007
    I've waited years on end for a game with the dynamics of Portal to appear - I surronded the hype of Narbacular Drop, followed it all the way to Portal and am not at all disappointed with the result; infact, I could even say that knowing what to expect, I was positively amazed! As soon as that SDK is released, I can grab it and start pumping out what I love most!
  26. PortalNinja!
    Oct 30, 2007
    Dude, this game ROCKED! The replay value of the game is just so good. You can sit there playing the same challenge over and over, and not get bored at all. Any puzzle game you've ever played, this is better. A truly awesome game you have here, and all I can say is, congratulations. *Raises glass*
  27. PhilI.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Innovative, clever, great graphics, addictive and just brilliant... What's not to love?
  28. CarrollV.
    Oct 31, 2007
    By far the most innovative, funny, fun, and short FPS experience of all time.
  29. Rados?awR.
    Oct 31, 2007
    Definetly the most innovating game I've played so far. The slogan "Now your thinking with portals" is just true. Have anyone noticed that the last attempt for 3D portals in games was made by Epic Games in UT97 engine? Those where not dynamic and unstable (like crushing entire map). In Portal they are implemented perfectly, totally seamless. Game and its engine are obviously amazing. Definetly the most innovating game I've played so far. The slogan "Now your thinking with portals" is just true. Have anyone noticed that the last attempt for 3D portals in games was made by Epic Games in UT97 engine? Those where not dynamic and unstable (like crushing entire map). In Portal they are implemented perfectly, totally seamless. Game and its engine are obviously amazing. Can't wait till they add those tolls to SourceSDK. Expand
  30. Pixi=)
    Oct 31, 2007
    This is just one of those games you have to play to believe. Portal is addictive, but the puzzles are not challenging enough to make it a 10'er. Still , the custom map function makes this game atleast a 8'er.
  31. Kevin
    Oct 30, 2007
    Wow. Brilliant game. A bit short, but well worth 20 bucks. Hilarious and original. Buy this.
  32. ChristianA.
    Oct 30, 2007
    I loved the game, and simply LOVED the computer... Thought it was a bit sad to kill it off, but well, I sure hope there's a sequal :D
  33. Nable7
    Jan 11, 2008
    Just an an amazing game, all the way through. I know everybody loves it, and I hate that I agree with them, but that's how it is sometimes. Great level design, style, feel, only thing is, not very replayable.
  34. NickS.
    Jan 11, 2008
    How can reviewers give this less than a 10/10. I grew up playing games developed for the Atari ST / Spectrum and Amiga among many other retro consoles and 28 years later, i still find myself playing emulators rather than new releases. It is very rare that a newly published game catches my full undivided attention for more than half an hour, but Portal (more of a demo than a game) was a How can reviewers give this less than a 10/10. I grew up playing games developed for the Atari ST / Spectrum and Amiga among many other retro consoles and 28 years later, i still find myself playing emulators rather than new releases. It is very rare that a newly published game catches my full undivided attention for more than half an hour, but Portal (more of a demo than a game) was a revelation and I urge everyone to buy the Orange Box just for it (it also doesn't hurt havign Half-Life Ep 1 and 2). Its true that the game has simplistic level designs and can appear repetitive but I assure you its innovation alone makes it the best game of 2007 - even if its only 2 to 3 hour game play. Its simply pure genius and it has effectively opened the door for game developers to come up with more games based on the game design. Expand
  35. NicholasM.
    Jan 10, 2008
    Completely awesome game! Great graphics and original idea. I found the humor to be exactly what I've been looking for in a game, but haven't found it till this. Very Douglas Adams like. The game was short but sweet, taking me only about 2-3 hours and leaving me wanting more. There definitely needs to be a sequel.
  36. KennethP.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Portal is easily my favorite game of the year possibly of all time. It has amazingly fun portal based puzzles topped with the best pitch black humor you could ever find. People say it is too short but if it were much longer it would outstay its welcome. If you could rate games on a fun per hour ratio it would easily top all games this year.
  37. JohnnyC.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Amazing. Funny, artistic, not much if any downsides in the game. Great game.
  38. PeterU.
    Jan 19, 2008
    I've been following portals from Narbarcular Drop, and its greatness all around, ending inclusive ;) For the ppl who say the levels are too simplistic, LISTEN TO THE INGAME COMMENTARY (for gods sake), they did it on purpose, for you. There are two reasons i didn't gave it a 10/10. First: The long loading times. When you've to press 'quick reload' alot, you've I've been following portals from Narbarcular Drop, and its greatness all around, ending inclusive ;) For the ppl who say the levels are too simplistic, LISTEN TO THE INGAME COMMENTARY (for gods sake), they did it on purpose, for you. There are two reasons i didn't gave it a 10/10. First: The long loading times. When you've to press 'quick reload' alot, you've to wait such a long time that i felt like quitting. Luckly the game's made so that you don't have to do that often, but I personally like to play around with it. The second reason I gave it a 9, is because 9.99 is not avaible :) Expand
  39. DarwynR.
    Jan 20, 2008
    Very impressive... no violence and keeps the brain engaged.
  40. TrustMe
    Jan 22, 2008
    Pros: Good Start, innotative, great puzzles, funny humor on ending, makes you think, easily a game of the year award. Cons: Short. Headaches.
  41. HáriB.
    Jan 23, 2008
    I got this game, installed and played until am finished it without a sign of life... then started again... when finished again, go to bed... next day mornin' am played over again... that game simply great! the women's noise, the style, the homour and of course the CAKE is a great work from Valve!
  42. PaulS.
    Jan 25, 2008
    9 out of 10 rather than 10 because nothing is perfect. BUT generally wonderful. Opens up a new world of gaming possibility with one simple idea. It feels like the creators have only just started to toy with this. I hope they turn the 'tutorial' (this game) into a 'full game'. I had so many ideas about how you could push the ideas in this game. Just all good fun, witty, 9 out of 10 rather than 10 because nothing is perfect. BUT generally wonderful. Opens up a new world of gaming possibility with one simple idea. It feels like the creators have only just started to toy with this. I hope they turn the 'tutorial' (this game) into a 'full game'. I had so many ideas about how you could push the ideas in this game. Just all good fun, witty, clever and beautiful. Obviously too short, but then it is kind a freebie in the orange box. well done to Valve. genius Expand
  43. D.L.
    Jan 3, 2008
    (This rating is really 8.5) Portal is a very good single-player game with more puzzles than any game I know today. The puzzles are very hard, requireing more than a couple "God Mode" and "Kill Everything" cheats here and there. However, the game could be longer (Portal 2?) and the lack of enimies and weapons is a little weird for a Valve game. That aside, though, if you fell in love with (This rating is really 8.5) Portal is a very good single-player game with more puzzles than any game I know today. The puzzles are very hard, requireing more than a couple "God Mode" and "Kill Everything" cheats here and there. However, the game could be longer (Portal 2?) and the lack of enimies and weapons is a little weird for a Valve game. That aside, though, if you fell in love with hard puzzle games and futureistic settings this game is a must-have. Expand
  44. ConfigS.
    Jan 5, 2008
    Ingenious and funny - great entertainment.
  45. Urthow
    Jan 5, 2008
    Doesn't keep you doing the same level from start to finish 30 times when it gets hard and never seems to be completely impossible. also constant black humor references in contrast to the style of game make it an extremely refreshing taste to the gaming societies palate.
  46. AdamS.
    Jan 8, 2008
    Probably the best game I've ever played. The only flaw is that it's too short, and the challenge levels, achievements, and the fact that it's part of a compilation more than makes up for it. GLaDOS is hilarious, and the gameplay is brilliant.
  47. JayT.
    Feb 11, 2008
    Portal is a no#1 game because there is no other game like it, its not like being killed and you respawn, its using your brain and physics to get yourself through the game.
  48. ConnorS.
    Feb 12, 2008
    Portal is a game that has the best of everything. Concept, writing, execution, graphics, gameplay, humor, suspense, challenge. There is no flaw in this game. It is the most mind-bending, heart-stopping, side-aching experience I've had on a PC; I rate it eleven!
  49. PatrickW.
    Feb 16, 2008
    Wonderful! Intelligent! If all games were like this. Someone make me a companion cube.
  50. MikeD.
    Feb 17, 2008
    Sahame we have to pick whole numbers or I would have given it 9.5 instead of 9. I can't wait for Orange Box 2! Fantastic stuff.
  51. ChrisT.
    Feb 18, 2008
    Amazing game, and one of the best endings to a game ever.
  52. AnselT.
    Feb 23, 2008
    awesome game, cant wait for the next one. best ending song ever!
  53. JennaH.
    Feb 23, 2008
    I thouroughly enjoyed this game. short but sweet id love to see what else they could do with this.... watch is space.
  54. BradK.
    Feb 24, 2008
    Really great, a lot of fun. Look forward to the sequel, hope I get to go outside.
  55. JonH.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Flawless in every way, shape, and form. With the sequel scheduled I hope we see a lot more of portal. The cake is still a lie
  56. PeterS.
    Feb 25, 2008
    Best game of the year in my opinion. Yes its only 3 hours long, but they will be a great 3 hours!
  57. Petaire
    Feb 26, 2008
    Enfin un jeu original, avec un humour très fin. Still aliiiiiiiive!
  58. JohnHammarberg
    Feb 27, 2008
    It would be a 10 if it just continued with a few more harder levels. Amazing game, funny computer personality and I still crack up laughing when thinking of the companion cube and the cake. One of the best games I've played, just too short. Make Portal 2 (I expect it!) longer and I will pay full price for it alone.
  59. NickD.
    Feb 3, 2008
    Excellent game. Although it is very short it is full of surprises and great game play. 'Twas also very funny. A joking computer? How great is that? Sarcasm is the best. I'm glad i got his one!
  60. AImeeG.
    Feb 4, 2008
    One of the best games I've played, and one of the few first-person 'shooters' I truly enjoy. Short, yes, but making it too much longer put the quality of the game at risk. Let's hope for a sequel of some form!
  61. KendraK.
    Feb 9, 2008
    Without a doubt, the best puzzle game ever created, in the history of man. Yes, even better than Tetris. Much better than 'Peggle'. The Cake Is A Lie.
  62. KPRook
    Feb 9, 2008
    Loved the game, and the story, and the cube. I want that cake!
  63. KenB.
    Mar 10, 2008
    Top-notch combination of clever puzzling and hilarious dialogue/storyline!
  64. EvelynM.
    Mar 14, 2008
    This is a great one!! People like to watch other people play it too, because its catchy and interesting. It IS short, but thats what makes it special. It would be bad if it were longer, so it couldn't have been Portal. Cake, you have to work for it.
  65. DrewH.
    Mar 15, 2008
    As was said before, a mini master piece. I only wish I could pull 3 hours out of this game. I have played it 10 times through and can pull it off in 57 minutes. Though an hour of gameplay is perfect for the goody at the end known as "Still Alive".
  66. AlanV.
    Mar 18, 2008
    A sweet game with great gameplay. Too short, and challenges can be frustrating, but otherwise near flawless! A must have!
  67. DubaN65
    Mar 21, 2008
    Portal is one of the best games i played in my life. I hope the second Portal is coming soon.
  68. RellikP.
    Mar 20, 2008
    The HIGHEST fun-to-length ratio i've ever seen in a game, this game may be short. but it is STILL fun months later. but then again i found a great user-map community.
  69. RiccardoO.
    Mar 23, 2008
    The most original game ever created.
  70. BrianU
    Mar 25, 2008
    One of the most fun games I've ever played.
  71. RosaS.
    Mar 3, 2008
    The best puzzle game I ever played. I wait for the next episode!!
  72. Tom
    Mar 6, 2008
    It gets an eight purely for innovation. However.. it was way way way too easy and/or short. I'm excited for round two.
  73. Matt
    Mar 8, 2008
    The most pleasant gaming experience in 10 years.
  74. DaveE.
    Mar 9, 2008
    This game can be a bit challenging when you use the touchpad, but other than that, it's totally awesome. Anyone who likes FPS and puzzle games should get this. It's a blend of both.
  75. SteveB.
    Apr 11, 2008
    Excellent, excellent, excellent. i have played through this game several times now and i keep going back to it.
  76. Artur
    Apr 1, 2008
    Absolute blasting idea, valve said they only touched the top of the mountain with portals, just cant wait for a news .
  77. BlakeB
    Brilliant.
  78. PatrickB.
    Apr 10, 2008
    This game is awesome! the cake is a lie!
  79. NathanH.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Only reason its not a 10 is because it's short.... MORE PORTAL!!
  80. Menschke
    Apr 12, 2008
    Very nice singleplayer game!!
  81. William
    Apr 10, 2008
    It only took me 4 hours for the main story. But then there is the advanced maps and I even feel like playing the story again!!!
  82. SukiA.
    Apr 12, 2008
    Portal is just a perfect game, admit it. If you haven't played it or gotten The Orange Box yet, what are you waiting for?
  83. JoshBEEP!
    Apr 21, 2008
    Portal is a very good single-player game. Once you get bored of playing the game over, and over you can make your own level with the Hammer editor. I give this a 9, not a 10 because, its much to short i bought this game April 18, 2008 and i have complete it 3 and a half times but the jokes and funny comments that are through out the game just make me enjoy it even more _____ The cake is a lie
  84. DavidsonP.
    Apr 20, 2008
    This game is the most epic game ever made and deserves a metascore 100!
  85. GregB.
    Apr 24, 2008
    Valve took the portals from Prey, the humor from the Sam & Max series, and of course the atmosphere and graphics of the Half-Life 2 universe and mashed em together. What a cool experience. I was initially hesitant to pay 20 bones for what I heard was a short experience (I didn't get the orange box, but downloaded ep2 single, sigh). Glad I did, what fun. Ties in with the episodes Valve took the portals from Prey, the humor from the Sam & Max series, and of course the atmosphere and graphics of the Half-Life 2 universe and mashed em together. What a cool experience. I was initially hesitant to pay 20 bones for what I heard was a short experience (I didn't get the orange box, but downloaded ep2 single, sigh). Glad I did, what fun. Ties in with the episodes well, making you wonder if any of this will show up in Episode 3. Expand
  86. BrookW.
    Apr 28, 2008
    This was such a fascinating and satisfying experience. The story was intimate and the puzzles were stimulating. I just became a huge Valve fan after witnessing this level of creativity and boundary smashing.
  87. ZackM.
    Apr 7, 2008
    I'm not sorry to say, but Valve has done it again! With their innovative use of the portal gun, much fun is to be had. If you haven't bought, or at least played this game yet, do it! OR BURN AT THE STAKE, WITCH!
  88. Khaz
    Apr 8, 2008
    We need more games like Portal. Srsly.
  89. DerekB.
    Apr 8, 2008
    This was a great game. We need more, please make a portal 2!!!! But make it a little longer
  90. GregorM
    May 1, 2008
    Portal is probably one of the best games ever! Sure it's really short, but thats ok because there's plenty of puzzles and so really dialoge! Theres not really anything to say about Portal thats bad so it gets a 10 from me!
  91. MattH
    May 4, 2008
    Surprisingly it really is one of the best games out there. The story, voice acting, and writing are just amazing. With fun game play, feel and look. I couldn't recommend it more.
  92. MichaelG.
    May 9, 2008
    Hands down the best game I've ever played. I makes you think, react, and maneuver yourself through many levels all while listening to a sadistic AI. I would recommend this game for everyone.
  93. JamesC.
    Jun 9, 2008
    I can't get enough of this game! I keep playing it over and over again, I love every bit of how it is done and I am very exited to see how it fits into the Half-Life universe in general. The idea was awesome to start out with and they added just the right twists to make it interesting while adding some very good humor to it as well. I have played all the bonus maps, and boy do some I can't get enough of this game! I keep playing it over and over again, I love every bit of how it is done and I am very exited to see how it fits into the Half-Life universe in general. The idea was awesome to start out with and they added just the right twists to make it interesting while adding some very good humor to it as well. I have played all the bonus maps, and boy do some of them make you think, I wish there were more maps added with the release of the game, but honestly it is the perfect length the way it is now and has a lot of room to expand for player made maps, one of the best puzzle based FPS's I have ever played, and the end song is to die for! Expand
  94. Przemek
    Jul 27, 2008
    Wow. That was amazing, maybe to short but still amazing.
  95. MaxP.
    Aug 11, 2008
    Very, very good game. Slightly short, though it does contain plenty of bonus material to keep you entertained after you've won. Also very funny, especially at the end.
  96. DerekP.
    Aug 20, 2008
    Been meaning to do this since I was given the Orange Box last Christmas. Portal is an outstanding game, easily one of my top 10 ever. It is extremely innovative and I cannot wait for #2, #3.... !!!
  97. MattM.
    Aug 2, 2008
    Great game, If you want a challenge, and want a FPS, get this game. Valve, you have outdone yourself with the game, and the humor you put in it.
  98. MaxJ.
    Aug 29, 2008
    This is an amazingly well made game. Although it is a bit short, it definitely makes up for quantity with amazing quality.
  99. DavidS.
    Aug 5, 2008
    Awesome game; great writing and amazing gameplay. Full marks.
  100. JohnB.
    Sep 20, 2008
    Greatest game of all time, and I don't say that lightly. Beats out Chrono Trigger, Metal Gear Solid, Knights of the Old Republic, Ocarina of Time, and Final Fantasy 7, knocking 7 off my top 5 when it came out. So what if it's only 2 hours long? I've never had a better 2 hours in any other game.

The idea behind Portal ends up being more brilliant than Portal itself. Regardless, we definitely had a lot of fun with what is there and appreciate the level of polish and thought that went into the presentation.
  2. Portal is a magnificent puzzle game. The titillating wrongness of every solution and the wonky thinking required to get there make you feel like a space-folding genius, and yet you'll almost never get stuck.
  3. One of the most interesting and delightful things Valve's ever done, but also one of its least fulfilling. If only we had our own portal gun to bridge the gap to the first infusion of new content, perhaps we could forget it.