Prey PC

7.9

1. May 6, 2017
    This review is based on the game after completing it with all the side-quests available, except two (as far as I know). I played it for around 25 in-game hours.

I'm one of those people who was heavily disappointed when Bethesda cancelled Prey 2 (2006's Prey's sequel, which I played and very much enjoyed). In a way, even if I wasn't one of them, I totally understood the people who started bashing and boycotting this new Prey game. But was the hate justified?

The short answer is no. Not at all. Based on my experience so far, I have to say this game is simply amazing in every possible way. The music is phenomenal, thanks to the talented Mick Gordon who also did the soundtrack for 2016's Doom and for Wolfenstein: The New Order.

But what is more important though is that the game is full of very smart and intelligent gameplay design ideas. It's more than obvious that the devs well thought out every little gameplay aspect and tweaked them to achieve perfection. This game has a very high production quality.

Also, I think I never saw a game before that so well utilized the enviroment such as this. In every single area I spent a very large amount of time to be able to discover everything, and it was a whole lot of fun. Prey mixes verticality and platforming very well with the usual, more horizontal gameplay.

And if I mentonied exploration: the exploration/discovery is fantastic, the game is very complex and deep in terms of world building and gameplay, in fact it's more complex in a way than most AAA games out there today. The story and the lore looks promising, and I like the visual design the artists went for.

The game clearly took inspiration from the best movies in the sci-fi genre (Stanley Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey, or Ridley Scott's Alien). Other than that, it reminds me some of the best games I've played, such as Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Bioshock, Dishonored, and of course, it also has a very strong System Shock vibe. In fact, it could be called System Shock 3. It has a Dead Space feeling in a way too.

The good news won't end here. This game is perfectly optimized. I have a rig that is around the recommended specs, and I manage to hit 100FPS average at 1080p on the absolute highest settings (EVGA GTX970 FTW, 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM, i5-6500).

This game is a joy to play. It's very impressive that it managed to grab me this much under only one hour and never let me go till I finished it. In fact, I'm still not finished (even if I completed the story). I'm starting a second playthrough now and I'll try to get the remaining achievements.
    I definitely recommend checking out this game, it well worth the money!

If I have to say a con, it's a minor thing, but normal human-sized enemies will provide unpleasant difficulty spikes every time you face them as long as you don't get a shotgun. Fighting against them with the Glue Gun, Pistol, or Wrench is not easy, and they kill you in 3 hits on Normal difficulty. The easiest is to avoid them and/or try to throw explosives at them from a distance (red pipes).
  2. May 5, 2017
    - Runs very well
    - Well written
    - Gameplay is awesome
    - Atmosphere is top notch
    - Not the best graphics
    - Reminds me most of System Shock, with a bit of Bioshock, Half Life and Dead Space
  3. May 5, 2017
    Pros:
    1.Runs Very Good, Dosen't drop below 100 fps, So FAR
    2.Really like the Art-Style, has some nice Graphics and Advanced settings too 3. Strong story 4. Cool Abilities 5. Excellent level design, 10/10 6. Reminds me of Deus Ex, Bio shock, Dishonored, and a little bit of Half life, and that's a good thing 7. Is it WORTH the money, YES Things that will be fixed: 1.
    Pros:
    1.Runs Very Good, Dosen't drop below 100 fps, So FAR

2.Really like the Art-Style, has some nice Graphics and Advanced settings too

3. Strong story

4. Cool Abilities

5. Excellent level design, 10/10

7. Is it WORTH the money, YES

Things that will be fixed:
    1. Can't change FOV, in-game, but they will be adding a fov slider later on, for now you will have to go and edit the game.cfg file

Same with motion blur, to turn off go into game.cfg add this line r_MotionBlur = 0

If you change graphics settings in-game after that the file would be rewritten
  4. May 8, 2017
    ITs borring,its repetitive,boring story, boring enemies, clunky weapons using( shotguns are terrible), short 10-15hrs ,no repetitive value,poor graphics and animations for todays standard.
  5. May 10, 2017
    It took me about 25h to finish the game and I'm definately up for a replay making other choices. This is a modern carbon copy of System Shock 2, a game I gave a perfect score of 10 and one of my all time favorite games. It also borrows elements from Alien Isolation and the Bioshock games wich of course in turn are heavily influenced by System Shock.
    It doesn't bring alot new to the table
    It doesn't bring alot new to the table but it implements almost all it has borrowed well. The Alien Isolation parts where you have to hide from a giant alien arn't as well executed as in AI, the fear mechanic seems pretty pointless and I never succumbed to it even though I didn't use fear dampening items (I played on normal, maybe the hardest difficulty remedy this). And it wasn't to hard actually killing it instead of hiding or just simply run away to a new area unlike AI where you are guaranteed to be killed if the Alien sees you.

The skills are interesting and the story is also pretty interesting, the game kept me interested all the way to the end. There are several ways to approach your objectives and enemies, giving you choices on how you want to play, I always appreciate that.

You also have quite a few choices to make wich will affect the ending and define your character. There is a proper inventory with full mouse management, hotkeys and pc specific controls (there is a radial menu but you don't have to use it at all). So is this another perfect score then? No, the one thing I was really missing was the sense of dread and isolation System Shock 2 gave me, or even Alien Isolation. The atmosphere wasn't quite there all the way and there wasn't a proper main antagonist like Shodan or the actual Alien. I also found the alien design lacking. They are not creepy and not varied enough. Quite frankly the alien design is boring. So one point of for that.

The performance is pretty solid aswell. I have a 4yo rig with an oc i7 4770K, 16gb ram and a oc Titan Black running the game at 3440X1440p at maxed settings with shadows turned to medium, V-sync off (have a g-sync monitor) and AA at 8x and still got around 55-60 fps avarage with some dips at some points. Pretty good considering the resolution. I did miss a FOV option ingame but you could fix that in the .ini file.
    Loading time is a bit heavy for pc at around 30-40 seconds when entering a new area with an annoying two loading screens. Around 10 seconds for a quickload within the same area or respawn if you die. You can't bind quicksave or quickload to hotkeys though wich is really annoying.
    It all worked flawlessly until the end of the game, at around 24h mark my save files got corrupt and I was stuck in an area crashing everytime I try to exit it. Appearantly this is a problem on all platforms. As of writing this review there is no official fix but having the pc version meant I can access and modify my savegames. I got around this problem by deleting the "area".level file in my savegame for the area i was trying to enter. This resets that area so all the items, keycards you've found are all back in place (but you still have the ones you've taken in your inventory) and all the doors and safes are locked again. This also means that you can trigger any sidequest again in that area even if you have completed them. Not optimal and a real drag if you have to reset the lobby area. For this reason I subtracted yet another point from my score because it is a gamebreaking bug, sure I personally managed to get around it but if you play on console and get this bug or if this fix doesn't work for you on pc then the game is broken and can't be completed. There is no guarantee a patch will fix your saves if they are already corrupted either wich means you might have lost hours upon hours of progress. I'm sure they'll fix it but still not an okay release
  6. May 27, 2017
    If you've played Deus Ex and Bioshock/system shock 2 then you don't really need to play this game. Prey copies parts from those games and doesn't bother to put a new spin on anything. The first half of the game is ok but eventually you run out of new enemies and weapons and it just gets boring. The side quests have mostly interesting stories but there is a lot of backtracking andIf you've played Deus Ex and Bioshock/system shock 2 then you don't really need to play this game. Prey copies parts from those games and doesn't bother to put a new spin on anything. The first half of the game is ok but eventually you run out of new enemies and weapons and it just gets boring. The side quests have mostly interesting stories but there is a lot of backtracking and eventually I just got tired of it all. I played the game on nightmare and overall it was easy until the heavy robots show up at the end and then I had to emp and hack everything at which point the game became tedious 100% of the time. The devs ran out of interesting and new combat scenarios and eventually you're just running around with no interesting gameplay while you move the story forward. The story is interesting though and it certainly does provide a fun twist on a bioshock like story but without interesting combat you're just running around pushing buttons and looking at loading screens. If you are going to play this game I would suggest playing it on Normal or Hard difficulty because Nightmare will just add to the tedium for the last 30-40% of the game. Expand
  7. May 31, 2017
    I initially didn't recommend this game after my first playthrough but I did something I've never done before and that's replay a game I didn't enjoy the first time and I'm glad I did. After finishing my first run I discovered I had missed a lot, mechanics, quests etc, and this was the reason I disliked the game so much so I started again and I have just finished it for a second time andI initially didn't recommend this game after my first playthrough but I did something I've never done before and that's replay a game I didn't enjoy the first time and I'm glad I did. After finishing my first run I discovered I had missed a lot, mechanics, quests etc, and this was the reason I disliked the game so much so I started again and I have just finished it for a second time and now I would recommend it.

The story is very interesting and it's told well, with great voice work from top to bottom, Prey also has multiple endings so replayability is an option if you like to get your monies worth. The general audio is also very good, helping to create a creepy atmosphere. Gameplay wise it's solid, there are plenty of weapons and gadgets to dispose of the Typhoon and I really liked the recycle and re-purpose mechanic. Visually it was also very good, with some great character models and environments. The one area it wasn't so great was performance, while definitely not bad at all it wasn't always smooth, some areas dropped for no apparent reason and there was some hitching at times, but nothing that ruined the overall experience too badly. Overall a solid package.

One bit of advice is to take it slow, don't rush through the main story, there are many minor and major side plots to discover and I missed almost all of them on my first run, don't make the same mistake
  8. May 19, 2017
    Prey 2017 is really a Open Room Game. More Room than Half-Life.

Graphics: 3/5 Everything in Prey is really detailed similar to Crysis 2 but the Characters and Monsters themselves are ugly. Game's content: 3/5 It's annoying that they made to many transition to move from place to place. And it take much time for loading screens. The "Finding people" missions seem to be excessive
    Prey 2017 is really a Open Room Game. More Room than Half-Life.

Graphics: 3/5

Game's content: 3/5
    The "Finding people" missions seem to be excessive because no one there when I came to right place. The other missions are not interested. The guide icons is like a mesh because they made me lost.
    Weapon system is like Half Life, not various and few. Character's abilities are interested only with Mimic's Transformation.

In conclusion, Prey 2017 is a Open Room game because all you have to focus is finding key to open the rooms.
  9. Jun 9, 2017
    Prey is a reboot of the old Prey, which honestly I liked. It was so absurdly stupid that it was actually pretty fun.

So what the hell did they do? I'm not gonna lie, this game is awful at trying to do survival horror. Not only does the sneaking system suck major arse, but the game literally does nothing but constantly throw enemies at you. Some overpowered enemies are even thrown in

So what the hell did they do?

I'm not gonna lie, this game is awful at trying to do survival horror. Not only does the sneaking system suck major arse, but the game literally does nothing but constantly throw enemies at you. Some overpowered enemies are even thrown in at the beginning, giving a **** enemy encounter the player BARELY can deal with. Bioshock, and System Shock had a great balance of pickups for ammo and health. they both tried to make you think of multiple ways to deal with the situation, without losing too much. Prey doesn't do that. Instead it gives you almost NO actual health pickups(Literally even the ones you do find don't even restore a reasonable amount of heatlh), and it gets worse when the game just continues and continues to throw enemies into your face.

The whole "Play your way" thing is obviously a big fat lie. The enemies and corridors are only suited for a tactical stealth play style, meaning you have all the abilities to unlock everything, and to always sneak past enemies. You can't even just use your guns to get through the whole game because every enemy and yes EVERY enemy is just a generic meatshield that takes millions of gunshots. It's not like the enemies are even memorable anyway. They're just like goons in my eyes...but if the goons were made of weird black stuff, and absorbed more bullets than an actual sponge.

Prey does do some things right though. The crafting is simplistic and easy to use, and works, my only issue with it is, why would you want to craft more versions of your weapons if they don't ever break? The whole design of the Talos 1 is great! It encourages exploration, and gives you at least SOME routes to proceed further into the game without being the hacking/repairing wizard. The Psi powers are interesting, HOWEVER, they are literally the exact same thing as the Psionics from System Shock and make me laugh so hard.

That is actually one of my big problems with Prey. It's lack of originality.
    The opening literally starts you off with a WRENCH, like in Bioshock. You see a guy get killed in the beginning too.....like Bioshock, and then everything else from here on out such as audio logs, the psionics as mentioned before, ETC. You'd be much better playing Bioshock or System Shock 2 instead of this...because they don't suck, and don't need to steal ideas from other games to try and be fun.

Overall, Prey is a pretty below average game. The game is polished.....for the most part, Navigating the areas is fun, and the crafting is cool, but everything else about the game such as the unoriginality, poorly made/designed enemies, awful gameplay balance, and the whole lies of playing your way, drag it down a lot. I recommend you buy other games, or even buy Bioshock and the two System Shock games. You'll have a much better experience in those than you will with this mediocre pile of flop.

Also the story is more forgettable than Destiny.......AND DESTINY DIDN'T EVEN TELL YOU AN ACTUAL STORY!
  10. May 21, 2017
    Prey is a slow-burning survival-shooter in the vein of System Shock. It could have been amazing, but unfortunately the developers made a lot of mistakes:

Lots of bugs, characters and quests glitching out, some hard crashes, several occasions where you go through a door and you lose items from your inventory which is devastating. Not good. It needs a lot of patching. Severe lack of

Severe lack of enemy variety. There's only like 5 different enemies in the game. Some of them are the same enemy, but they shoot fire instead of energy or are slightly harder variations.. Some of them you only encounter once or twice.

The weapons feel very underpowered (even when upgraded) up until you get the Q Beam which kills even the toughest enemies within 5 seconds and doesn't even use up a lot of ammo. It's jarring, there's a crazy lack of balancing that would at least make everything moderately useful. You can craft a lot of things in the game, but the only things worth crafting are neuromods and Q Beam ammo.

Because almost all the weapons are bad, you are encouraged to use turrets to do your work for you, but they are also useless. You set up a turret and, even against the weaker enemies, it's a diceroll whether they do the instant-teleport-melee attack which knocks the turret over and destroys it, or they sit there and get shot to death. You just sit there and reload until it works out. You might as well not bother and use the Gloo gun + Wrench against everything, until the enemies can't be killed by anything other than the Q Beam. Really dumb.

There's a story, but for the first 15+ hours of the game nothing really happens. You are only fed tiny bits of information. If you play games for the story, you will probably get bored here before the story starts going.

The sound levels are seriously broken. Playing with headphones, sounds of things that are next to you randomly disappear, while you can clearly hear an enemy that's 2 floors above you like it's licking your ear. Audiolog/dialogue/ambient sound mixing is completely broken, with ambient sounds often drowning dialogue and other important things.

There are glimpses of brilliance in Prey (the level design, soundtrack and atmosphere are great), but they get smothered in bad decisions and technical issues. Get it on sale after they patch it up.
  11. Jun 11, 2017
    Brilliant game. Utterly captivating. Its a bit like the Truman show in video game format. The best thing about it is that there are so many ways to accomplish what you want to do. And some very unconventional ways to get to where you shouldnt be. Literally its a sandbox in space. Do what you want. Kill how you want. And play the story how you want. And it is all done in the mostBrilliant game. Utterly captivating. Its a bit like the Truman show in video game format. The best thing about it is that there are so many ways to accomplish what you want to do. And some very unconventional ways to get to where you shouldnt be. Literally its a sandbox in space. Do what you want. Kill how you want. And play the story how you want. And it is all done in the most natural way you can imagine. This is one of the few games where i have actually wanted to complete more side quests in order to decide whats best to do on the final choice (presumably - im already 26 hours in and not at the end, but fairly certain there is more than 1 ending). I think thats the mark of a good story. Im so captivated by the story i want to know more in order to make a more informed decision. If you like bioshock then just buy it already and enjoy. You will not be disappointed. My only gripe is some dodgy frame rate issues and operators are a bit too OP. But no game is perfect, and this deserves to have as high a score as possible because this is EXACTLY how games should be made. Expand
  12. May 13, 2017
    This game is a sort of old but gold mix of adventure, role play game through RPG basic, horror but not survival in terms of Alien: isolation in my opinion and (especially) a narrative that lead the constant atmosphere of “one last man/woman standing against an incredibly dangerous and apparently unstoppable alien species” thematic that reminds me of the 1982 classic John Carpenter’s “TheThis game is a sort of old but gold mix of adventure, role play game through RPG basic, horror but not survival in terms of Alien: isolation in my opinion and (especially) a narrative that lead the constant atmosphere of “one last man/woman standing against an incredibly dangerous and apparently unstoppable alien species” thematic that reminds me of the 1982 classic John Carpenter’s “The Thing” based on John W. Campbell Jr. novel "Who goes there?".
    The setting here is the only difference. We’re not in Antartica but in a state of emergency space station named Talos One, located just on the other side of the Moon but still outside the orbit where planet Earth is still visible. It’s the year 2032, an alternative future where John F. Kennedy survived to the attempt of murder in Texas (1963) until his presidency became crucial from avoiding the Vietnam conflict to the stable standing, geopolitical relationship between USA and USSR through space conquests. So, Talos One itself represents basically that, in memory of Mr. President JFK. The main character (that can be shaped as male or female) is Morgan Yu, an engineer that lost part of his/her memory and it’s in constant needs of recover him/her pieces of lack through the whole story made of different decisions, including your own way to play that will affect the logic of game play approach.

Prey it’s a first person shooter that borrows many elements from the most successful hits of our times such System Shock 2, Half-Life series and Bioshock series through something that many customers tends to underestimate in regards of the developers: pure passion for what they generally do and, in this case, the science fiction matter. This game still proves (in 2017, with DirectX11 and a relative old game engine) that the best experiences are single player only, without online co-op or whatsoever multiplayer useless competition that requires too much efforts and years of development spent on building huge worlds and testing it. The immersion is total especially when you move from an area to another going outside the station with a propulsor pack at zero gravity and, of course, zero atmosphere (very well represented with the sounds from the inside of your own space suit that we suppose to hear not exactly like an underwater situation). The audio segment is enriched with a lot of narrative, Italian in my case, beautifully localized and expressed. The music is perfectly tailored to the whole atmosphere and again, very Alan Howarth/Carpenter stylized. What about the aliens? Well, they really “stole” the scenery here...maybe not so original in the highest and most dangerous shapes mixed with usual elemental stuff like electricity, fire or pure psychokinetic capacities but with behaviors that are just what we want to expect inside a nightmare: when you realize that they are completely mimic to objects like mugs, tables, suitcases, so able to hide on plain sight, is definitely enough shocking until you don’t get it and learn different approaches in order to become from prey...to predator!

In conclusion it's a game maybe not worth at full political price and aimed to pure sci-fi lovers audiences but with a 15%-20% off easy to reach on the net (especially PC versions) it might become a bargain and well balanced overall experience considering the total amount of hours 24H-28H of game play.

Cheers!
  13. May 8, 2017
    This game is so incredibly refreshing in an ocean of reptetive and redudant shooter clones and endless war game franchises this game dares to be different. Channeling obvious inspiration from classic games like system shock, dead space, half life 1 and 2, and the bioshock series, this game rewards creativity and those enjoy a challenging gameplay. The game does not baby you and manyThis game is so incredibly refreshing in an ocean of reptetive and redudant shooter clones and endless war game franchises this game dares to be different. Channeling obvious inspiration from classic games like system shock, dead space, half life 1 and 2, and the bioshock series, this game rewards creativity and those enjoy a challenging gameplay. The game does not baby you and many enemies are quite powerful. You feel incredibly rewarded whenever you upgrade your abilities and kit and this translates nicely into a multitude of branching upgrade paths.

TL:DR --> Its like half life, bioshock, and deadspace made a baby. I love it.
  14. May 7, 2017
    finally the System Shock 2 sequel everyone was waiting for!
    this game has nothing to do with Pray and it's System Shock 3 with modern mechanics
    the overall theme is the same, the atmosphere is the same, the story is very (VERY) similar this game is very difficult if played on hard, but that's how a game should be -- GOOD-- WRENCH: you have the iconic SS2 weapon! enough to sell the
    finally the System Shock 2 sequel everyone was waiting for!
    this game is very difficult if played on hard, but that's how a game should be

-- GOOD--
    WRENCH: you have the iconic SS2 weapon! enough to sell the game to me :D
    STORY: extremely good story telling and writing, good mix of horror and sci-fi
    LEVEL DESIGN: feels like a mix between SS2 and Half-Life with a touch of Bioshock, in other words: top-notch level design.
    CRAFTING MECHANICS: mechanics borrowed from SS2 and perfected
    GRAPHICS: it's using the CryEngine but fortunately enough they decided for a non-photorealistic rendering, which would have completely ruined the game. Even the graphics is a strong reference to SS2...

-- BAD --
    ENEMIES: they glitch out like crazy...very poor AI overall (almost no AI:, enemies will just run towards you disregarding the environment or avoid you completely. Probably this fits the storyline but makes the game incredibly hard or incredibly easy)
    ENEMIES, again: they're not infinite! this was a huge point in SS2 atmosphere! in Prey once you clear a section, you feel relatively safe. In SS2 you could go all way back to the beginning and get attacked by a screaming enemy! This removes a lot from the atmosphere, it's not scaring enough. Moreover, after a while you can easily predict where they will appear! In SS2 enemies were completely unpredictable. Here they went for the easy jump scare, which probably suits better modern gamers, who knows..
    ENEMIES, again and again!: they're badly designed with very few variations. I was hoping for some inside-out warped abominations (Dark Souls style) looking at the trailers..all you get is the same four-legged creature rehashed multiple times...might fit the storyline, but then don't advertise something your game clearly does not have. The mimic effect is cool, but everything else feels pretty cheap and rushed.
    UI sometimes is a bit messy but it's nothing terrible.

In short: very good overall, but poor AI and enemy design. Does not reach the perfection level of SS2 or Half-Life (the best FPS games ever made) but it's very, very close. Nothing that a well-done sequel, prequel or whatever cannot fix.

Overall, given the low quality of modern FPS games (at least most of them), this game is a long awaited gem that every fan of the genre should play.

Thanks Bethesda and Arkane Studios for bringing back true old-school RPG FPS style.
  15. May 8, 2017
    Finally a modern game that has looked at the past to design something more than just a hand holding pew pew. This game requires you to think, explore and make choices. Good Job
  16. May 7, 2017
    Brilliant atmosphere and immersion that rewards exploration, a perk system that really values replay ability, combat can feel a bit stop starty and clunky at times but the movement, especially in zero-gravity areas feel great. A very good game but certainly not perfect. Definitely would recommend to people who like a good immersive sim. Would give it an 8.5 if Metacritic let users beBrilliant atmosphere and immersion that rewards exploration, a perk system that really values replay ability, combat can feel a bit stop starty and clunky at times but the movement, especially in zero-gravity areas feel great. A very good game but certainly not perfect. Definitely would recommend to people who like a good immersive sim. Would give it an 8.5 if Metacritic let users be more exact. Expand
  17. May 11, 2017
    I love this game.

I love this game.

Unlike many other current gen games it really rewards exploration, collecting items, upgrading your skills. I love that it takes hours until the whole gameplay mechanics are "revealed" and you get the hang of it. But it is not tedious to learn all that. In fact that is the most fun part of it. To discover all the cool stuff and ideas the devs have put in it. The amount of innovation in this game is incredible. It's such a breath of fresh air compared to the usual "go to this quest-marker, kill some monsters, collect some items" games.

I also like the graphics, setting, style and survival horror feeling.

It's the best game I've played in a while and it exceeded my expectations.
  18. May 6, 2017
    Played the first four hours straight and in the end had to bring myself to stop playing.

Prey is a pretty good adventure and a pretty bad shooter. As the lack of ironsights already suggests, conventional weapons are just one way to disable or kill enemies. It's as legitimate as the use of vending machines, hacking, nerf guns, enviroment or your old friend the explosive barrel.

Graphics are mediocre but the atmosphere is spot on. No stylistic minimalism and holographic space magic but good old hard sci-fi with a huge portion of art deco. The comparisons to Bioshock are pretty legit if it comes to the art style.

What made the game for me was the freedom. Before the main story even took off i explored the place for hours and powered my character up with some items i'm pretty sure where supposed to be not accessible for most of the people until a few more hours in. But you can absolutly get them if you put in the time and effort. It makes for a great feeling of progress and building up your character.

In the end, if Prey is for you depends mainly on the question if you're looking for a shooter or an exploration game with strong emphasis on character development (in terms of gameplay). Get it for the latter.
  19. May 16, 2017
    In short, Prey is another great addition to Arkane Studios’ portfolio of fantastic work. This Sci-fi shooter manages to combine an enthralling story with outstanding game-play mechanics and design. The genius level design in Prey makes simply getting inside a locked room feel more like an sexual endeavor, rather than a tedious janitorial task. The only hint of mediocrity is the somewhatIn short, Prey is another great addition to Arkane Studios’ portfolio of fantastic work. This Sci-fi shooter manages to combine an enthralling story with outstanding game-play mechanics and design. The genius level design in Prey makes simply getting inside a locked room feel more like an sexual endeavor, rather than a tedious janitorial task. The only hint of mediocrity is the somewhat repetitive combat and decent AI. Regarding performance, Prey is beautifully optimized. A decent computer will run this game faster than Jerry the mouse on cocaine. I would assume a decent computer averaging around 55fps. In conclusion, Prey is an all-around excellent game that will have you exploring Talos-1 like a curious space cockroach. Expand
  20. May 6, 2017
    Someone's life must be rather sad if they have to post a 0 and talk about stuff that has nothing to do with the quality of the game. I really loved the cry baby reviews ..it didn't hold my hand and I died a lot...the rest of us have been waiting for games to do this approach again.
  21. May 7, 2017
    Prey
    From Fun and Scary to Slow and Boring
    Prey is a first person survival horror game that seems to be heavily inspired by deus ex… you start the game by choosing your male or female character… You’re an experiment... and then things go wrong... the space station you’re living in has been overrun by aliens and guess who they’re after? You of course… The game starts out pretty
    Prey
    From Fun and Scary to Slow and Boring
    you start the game by choosing your male or female character…
    You of course…
    The game starts out pretty interesting and terrifying...
    There are mimics around…
    this is all you know
    and at first all you have to fend for yourself is a wrench...
    And these mimics... they can be anywhere…
    as they take the shape of random items in the world…
    Randomly running into them was terrifying and made for many great jump scare moments…
    honestly a wrench and mimics is all this game needed it… but it didn’t stop there…
    it tried to do too much and they game becomes a boring drag because of it..
    This game reminded me a bit of deus ex and bioshock…
    mostly on the deus ex side though…
    There are neuromods around the world that you can pick up to unlock new skills
    these skills include the basics like being able to lift large objects, increase your health, or be able to hack locked doors…
    and you have to choose carefully because these skills are expensive and neuromods practically hardly exist compared to the prices…
    made even more ridiculous when you unlock even more mimic type skills from scanning enemies later on in the game.. it’s just too much for how little the game pays out…
    Speaking of too little to go around…
    health, and pretty much everything else…
    It doesn’t matter which difficulty you play this game on.. It’s going to be brutal…
    enemies are sponges even against fully upgraded guns... they do insane damage…
    And the food you find around only gives about 5 health... which is nothing... med kits are extremely rare…. And your health only regenerates to around 30…
    so you’re gonna die a lot…
    you can recycle trash at machines for materials or use recycle bombs for materials and then use these materials to craft medkits and ammo.. But still... these items aren’t all over the place and doesn’t necessarily make med kits or ammo extremely accessible... they’re still rare even with this crafting machine
    No worries you can just stealth around enemies…
    sort of…
    because they have magnets in their head…
    the game tricks you into believing they’re attracted to noise because of certain lure bombs you can use
    but this is a lie… I know this is a lie because there’s one mission in particular where you have to collect voice samples… one part of this mission challenges you to stay alive while a song plays.. After hiding in the room and failed I thought okay, clearly these enemies are attracted to the noise... ill click play and run down the hall and hide away from the room…
    I did this and guess which room the enemies came to?
    Not the one with the song playing... the one I was in just sitting there waiting for me to enter their line of sight to they could attack me…
    and this waiting happens a lot... they won’t move, they will sit and wait until they can see you
    it’s annoying and emersion breaking
    This game has its moments…
    its surprisingly varied considering you’re stuck in a space station…
    it’s fun and thrilling at times running from enemies while you try to find key cards and information to progress…
    But it’s also just as annoying since the game is inconsistent with telling you where to go to progress…
    sometimes your location is marked on the map.. sometimes you have to just feel your way around and search everything while dealing with monsters…
    The game also have a few progression bugs that will cause you to back in and out of a save..
    Which isn’t too bad since you can save at anytime youd like…
    As well as performance issues if you play too long..
    the inventory and weapon wheels start to lag…
    Bugs aside, Prey ultimately suffers from imbalance…
    There are far too few materials, health, or ammo for how spongy and excessive enemies are in this game..
    they become a nuisance instead of a scare…
    I could easily see this being a game of uncertainty with only a flashlight, a wrench, and some mimics…
    But instead Prey sets out to frustrate you for 16 hours… its becomes die and try again to get just a little luckier this time while dealing with over powered monsters… While I definitely did enjoy moments of prey… I didn’t enjoy most of the moments of prey… I give Prey a 7/10
  22. May 18, 2017
    I found the game very tedious. Either i had to crawl all the time at snail pace to avoid combat, becouse you can't tell if any object you see, won't change into monster, or endure fightig enemies, which constantly jump and teleport all around you. I didn't like either. Also, becouse i didn't found enemies interesting, i wasn't interested in the whole story behind them.

Graphically...

Graphically... well, the game lookes like x360 tittle with bumped up resolution - i play at 1440p. It wouldn't be a problem, if the game had superb gameplay. I liked the sound though, as it creates good atmosphere.
  23. May 5, 2017
    I will say this game is ok i say its not a masterpiece but not bad either. A really solid 6 for me. . Game is a bit short i finished it in 9 Hours and also really easy i mean its not that hard of a game. The monster are also not very scary yes iam a big fan of system shock and *uck me that game was scary as **** but prey the monster are really boring and not scary at all dont know theyI will say this game is ok i say its not a masterpiece but not bad either. A really solid 6 for me. . Game is a bit short i finished it in 9 Hours and also really easy i mean its not that hard of a game. The monster are also not very scary yes iam a big fan of system shock and *uck me that game was scary as **** but prey the monster are really boring and not scary at all dont know they look like placeholders did they forget to implant the real enemies ? i hope that will get patched, Expand
  24. May 5, 2017
    fantastic game, very well optimized, getting around 90fps on Ultra settings at 4K,
    Great Story line, level up system.

Best played at Hard difficulty,
  25. May 6, 2017
    Kill mugs, armchairs, projectors. Kill them all!

I walk through the game and I feel so paranoid. Great gameplay (weapons etc.), interesting story a nice graphic. It is like Bishock a System Shock had a baby.

And best in the end? Greatly optimized. FullHD with all on max. And i have stable 60 fps.
  26. May 6, 2017
    I am about half way through this game and running this at 2160p on the highest settings and I am easily staying above 60 fps. So it runs great if anyone is worrying about that. The game itself is alot of fun, the weapons, gadgets, and powers in this game are different then most typical FPS horror games, very fun to play with. The creatures are unique in the way they can mimic stuff aroundI am about half way through this game and running this at 2160p on the highest settings and I am easily staying above 60 fps. So it runs great if anyone is worrying about that. The game itself is alot of fun, the weapons, gadgets, and powers in this game are different then most typical FPS horror games, very fun to play with. The creatures are unique in the way they can mimic stuff around you even though there may at times feel like a lack of enemy types. The space station you are on is also very real feeling and enjoyable to explore. Not really to much I can say that hurts this game, definitely worth a buy on steam, you can always return if you don't like it. Expand
  27. May 20, 2017
    This game is so overrated. Combat is clunky, boring enemies, few weapons, levels are actually very linear and you end up having so much neuromods that you can level fully 3 skill trees on one play. Space walk is pretty much useless, because every other airlocks are locked until you unlock them from the inside of the station. Enemies look the same, just slightly different particle effectsThis game is so overrated. Combat is clunky, boring enemies, few weapons, levels are actually very linear and you end up having so much neuromods that you can level fully 3 skill trees on one play. Space walk is pretty much useless, because every other airlocks are locked until you unlock them from the inside of the station. Enemies look the same, just slightly different particle effects on them or increased size, writing is not very good, expecially characters are forgettable and has generic lesbian death tropes and choices you make in the game does not really matter. There is only 3 "different endings" that makes mass effect 3 ending look amazing. Writing is not beliveable as one character dies outside station even there is several unlocked airlocks near her and there is 0 monsters near her or them. Also your brother is also extremely poorly written as his actions, goals and motivations collide with each other so badly it doesnt make any sense, Game has only few different weapons so combat gets boring really quickly and its too easy even on hardest difficulty, I used only 4 medkits in nightmare difficulty. Enemy behaviour is extremely predictable and you can use it as a advantage too easily. Stealth does not work very good because how the levels are designed, not enough hiding spots in the rooms and enemies detect you so easily. You dont really have multiple paths when playing, you can only get past certain door when using different route, still you have to run and search basically every room, you cant skip or get different sections of the map by using another route, unlike in Deus ex mankind divided, where you can skip most of the maps by using different routes. Levels are basically like in old doom 1, giving you pseudo non-linear levels.Quests are generic mmo quality, get this award or ring for me, or kill that guy. Music is really annoying and i had to turn it off because it was so bad, ambient sounds are ok, nothing special but there is one sound that annoys and that is weird billiard balls hitting each other and you can hear that in space often or inside the station. So i dont really recommend this game at high price. 10 euros would be max i would spend this game. Expand
  28. May 18, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Im sorry i just dont find this game any fun, the enemies are boring, broken and not fun to fight against.

All the mechanics are broken or boring

The level design is abhorrent, especially on a nightmare play setting

The only decent thing here is the premise and the narrative, gameplay wise you would be much better off playing the first bioshock (first half) or dead space 2 it does what prey does 10x better.

Pirate this game, dont buy it it's not worth your 70 dollars. Play it on normal, go on autopilot and listen to the narrative then uninstall.
  29. May 12, 2017
    Gameplay = 9/10
    + Great movement controls.
    + Great combat that requires combination of weapons to defeat enemies. + UI is nice and sleek. Design = 9/10 + Level design has the typical Arkane magic of offering you multiple routes through an area be it sneaking or head on attack. + The environment is fun to manipulate as you pull enemies towards flammable pipes or broken electric
    Gameplay = 9/10
    + Great movement controls.
    + Great combat that requires combination of weapons to defeat enemies.
    + UI is nice and sleek.
    Design = 9/10
    + The environment is fun to manipulate as you pull enemies towards flammable pipes or broken electric panels.
    + Returning to levels: I liked that I was encouraged to unlock a skill like hacking or strength before I could access a room.
    Story = 9/10
    + While the main story can feel a little lacklustre at times it does a good job of moving you from level to level where smaller unique areas offer more in-depth parts of the world of Prey.
    + I also loved the side stories in this game and are what I remember most now I’ve completed it.
    Graphics = 9/10
    + I like the art style that Arkane have been going with since Dishonored and hope they stick with it as I feel it is their unique style now.
    + I love the 60's esque theme they've gone with although some seem to find it a jarring mix.
    + Hasn't been too demanding on my ageing system and ran at a constant 60fps no problem.
    Sound = 9/10
    + Prey has a limited yet good soundtrack that captures that horror sci-fi feel.
    + All the voice acting is great and I love that they got Benedict Wong to voice the brother and James Hong the father.

Negatives:
    - Enemy variety was limited to about 6, but with different element variations of them, which meant that once you knew their move set and weaknesses they became very easy.
    - Loading times: in the early to mid-game this isn't a problem when moving between levels as you want to fully explore them, but in the late game when you have to move through 2-3 levels for an objective quickly it can be annoying waiting 30-60 seconds for a level to load that you would run through in about 20 seconds having already completed 100%.
    - The space sections of the game while fun at first became annoying and overstayed its welcome as movement and enemies outside could be frustrating.
  30. Jun 8, 2017
    So the bad guys are mostly various iterations of black goo and you even have a goo gun. Too much goo. It's hard to like Prey when it uses cryengine and doesn't look as good as Crysis 3 which is 4 years old. Mission objective's are vague, the intro tutorial is retarded, the weapons are pathetic, and there aren't enough recycler/fabricator stations to off-load all the crap you accumulate.So the bad guys are mostly various iterations of black goo and you even have a goo gun. Too much goo. It's hard to like Prey when it uses cryengine and doesn't look as good as Crysis 3 which is 4 years old. Mission objective's are vague, the intro tutorial is retarded, the weapons are pathetic, and there aren't enough recycler/fabricator stations to off-load all the crap you accumulate. Too much time is wasted finding keycards and passcodes. I'm not even going to comment on the hacking minigames. The story and ending are a bit weak too and predicable. Prey could be a lot better at all levels. Expand
  31. Jun 14, 2017
    Story is boring. The first hour is great, with a nice twist, but later on it loses interest. Graphics are ok, not great nor good, nor bad either. Music is missing in most part of the game. Gun variety is ok but pretty useless.. Enemies are OP. Some jump-scares here and there, that becomes repetitive. No storage room for items, exept your bag, that becomes full very easy. No reason to buyStory is boring. The first hour is great, with a nice twist, but later on it loses interest. Graphics are ok, not great nor good, nor bad either. Music is missing in most part of the game. Gun variety is ok but pretty useless.. Enemies are OP. Some jump-scares here and there, that becomes repetitive. No storage room for items, exept your bag, that becomes full very easy. No reason to buy it anyway. Expand
  32. May 27, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played through to finish.
    This game was exciting in spots, satisfying in spots, interesting and cool to explore for a while.
    Then the limited ammo and the respawning enemies started to become a drag, there were a few glitches and un-finishable quests for me, the missions and re-visiting areas became not fun at all because of the micromanaging and balancing use of scarce resources, and when I finally finished it, they tell me it was all a freaking SIMULATION and none of it meant anything?!
    I was so deflated after finishing this game, I really wish I'd never bothered, what a total lack of payoff for all the troubles and stress endured throughout the game.
    To sum up: Gaming should be fun, this was largely not fun, I persisted through it because it seemed to be going somewhere and I wanted to see how it ended, but the ending turned out rubbish.
    Don't know what the developers were thinking, this game doesnt deserve the Prey namesake.
  33. May 28, 2017
    Gamers familiar with Arcane Studios formula will feel right at home playing prey. The play-your-way mechanics, skill based upgrades, weapon wheel, and overall aesthetic design that made the Dishonored series so great makes a nearly perfect transition to Prey, minus the implementation of a crafting system. I personally enjoy when developers add a crafting element into their games, howeverGamers familiar with Arcane Studios formula will feel right at home playing prey. The play-your-way mechanics, skill based upgrades, weapon wheel, and overall aesthetic design that made the Dishonored series so great makes a nearly perfect transition to Prey, minus the implementation of a crafting system. I personally enjoy when developers add a crafting element into their games, however Arcane has not done a good job of balancing the crafting mechanics with the rest of the gameplay. The issue is that crafting is too critical to gameplay while being very unrewarding. It forces the player to spend too much time worrying about the minuscule amount of crafting materials found in the world just for the option to craft the small amount of supplies actually created by the crafting process. I understand that the developers were forcing players to manage their supplies, however this forces players into a fairly specific method of tacking objectives and enemies in a game that touts a play-your-way style of gameplay. Yes, the game can be tackled in a stealth-centric style while using the minimal amount of resources, however early in the game this is nearly impossible and it disregards players who do not prefer a head on style of gameplay over stealth. Arcane could rectify this by making crafting materials more abundant, especially for materials dropped by defeated enemies. This way players who prefer stealth can still make their way through the game using little resourcing a minimal crafting, while giving more combat focused players the chance to play the game the way they wish.

Outside of this, Prey is nearly flawless. Gameplay is fun and engaging, enemies are difficult but not too difficult, the story is good, and the environment is gorgeous. Prey also does a very good job of making the game as non-linear as possible. The main story certainly has a liner plot, however players can chose when they wish to tackle main objectives and are more or less free to roam the game world as they please (assuming those areas are unlocked).

I completely recommend that anyone who has played and enjoyed the Dishonored series or Dark Messiah to purchase Prey. The familiar Arcane Studios formula does not disappoint.
  34. May 5, 2017
    I'm not gonna rate this game by Bethesda's move on Praey to the Gods. That company should be thanking Bethesda for all the exposure they now are getting on their game. If you like HalfLife and System Shock 2, this is a no brainer... just buy it. It's a good PC port, it doesn't have the best textures but the gameplay is very much to my liking. If you're looking for a Doom shooter, I wouldI'm not gonna rate this game by Bethesda's move on Praey to the Gods. That company should be thanking Bethesda for all the exposure they now are getting on their game. If you like HalfLife and System Shock 2, this is a no brainer... just buy it. It's a good PC port, it doesn't have the best textures but the gameplay is very much to my liking. If you're looking for a Doom shooter, I would not recommend this. 9 out of 10 Expand
  35. May 16, 2017
    Cut to the chase. Prey is a bad fu**ing game. its boring, frustrating and very confusing at the same time. There are two sides of Bethesda Softworks in my eyes. There's the side I love, which will keep me playing for months or even years such as doom and fallout, and than there the disappointing side of Bethesda that I will play for a few hours and be done such as with Elder ScrollsCut to the chase. Prey is a bad fu**ing game. its boring, frustrating and very confusing at the same time. There are two sides of Bethesda Softworks in my eyes. There's the side I love, which will keep me playing for months or even years such as doom and fallout, and than there the disappointing side of Bethesda that I will play for a few hours and be done such as with Elder Scrolls Online. This game is neither of these. It is worst. I expected this game to be full of fun and complex puzzles like breath of the wild, and some of those breathtaking and satisfying kill streaks from doom, but all it is, is another pile of garbage. The only good thing about this game are the weapon customisation, which deserve some credit. But it gets old pretty fast and its not as good as fallout customisation. That's what I also expected from this game, but no way. it is also feels like another one of these COD disappointments with too much futuristic designs and settings. LEAVE THAT TO HALO. AND LEAVE THIS GAME ALONE!! And don't even get me started with all the bugs and crashes I and you will most likely face on the PC version, at least on console it is 'decently polished'. Expand
  36. May 5, 2017
    I spend all night running this game on my brand new Blade Core with a GTX 1080 Strix OC8 plopped inside. The game runs a rock steady 60FPS @ 1080 , QHD cuts it down to a very playable (and stable) 30-40FPS and finally 4K runs at a very surprisingly smooth 30FPS. This is all while the apparent bottleneck from my tiny (2017 razer blade stealth with Kaby lake, 16Mb ram) laptop is causing aI spend all night running this game on my brand new Blade Core with a GTX 1080 Strix OC8 plopped inside. The game runs a rock steady 60FPS @ 1080 , QHD cuts it down to a very playable (and stable) 30-40FPS and finally 4K runs at a very surprisingly smooth 30FPS. This is all while the apparent bottleneck from my tiny (2017 razer blade stealth with Kaby lake, 16Mb ram) laptop is causing a drop in FPS from what i would normally get with a 1080 in a desktop. Those numbers remained stable for the most part for the three + hours that i had a chance to run though last night.
    I have to say that i am very impressed with this game, without spoiling much I think any FPS fan of games like HL, FEAR, or even the newer Deus Ex's will find a lot to like in this game. The perks are really reminiscent of the of the latter but the sound, one of my favorite aspects of this game, really reminds me of the former. For what its worth, the variations in the perk system alone are enough to have me thinking that the Deus Ex Mankind divided team could have learned something from these guys. I was never a huge fan of Dishonored 2's art style but am happy to say that the Cry engine really pulls though here and give off an entirely different feel. That being said, this is not recognizable sequel to the previous Prey installations. The first two hours throw some very heavy, mind bending/reality checking things at you that may require another run to fully appreciate. Much like the first Prey, the emphasis is on forcing you to feel from the perspective of the character straight from the opening cinematic, which will give you varying feeling of daja vu depending on how far into the first hour your are. While the intro had me worried we were going down a very familiar path, the immediate left and right turns you make after fully erased any of those feelings. There are little chunks of great FPS games from the half-life-like sound of the test area malfunctioning, to the FEAR like weightiness of the preorder shotgun you get in your office; it all feels very well put together and best of all well balanced. Weapons (at least the GOO and shotty) have some fantastic animations and, so far, it seems as though the weapons are a bit on the lighter side when in relation to your enemy's. Speaking of the enemys, prepare to start doubting every damn item your looking to pick up. The name Mimic goes very far here. I wont go too far into this short review but long story short, using the GLOO gun and THEN the wrench makes it a much more effective combo since your effectively dealing with black GACK. I'm going to end this review here (unless someone requests that i continue) since i need to continue playing before i give it a final score. Up until this moment which is around the three hour mark, i will have to give this a 8.5/10 just for the fantastic game play. Any one doubting whether to get this game or not, please do yourself a favor and GET IT! Collapse
  37. May 5, 2017
  38. May 5, 2017
    - Amazing mechanics, guns and different damage types
    - Abilities are crazy good and creative, rpg elements are top notch
    - Lots of different enemies - Lots of exploration and side questing that I did not expect - Very well written story so far, Have not finished yet - Seriously one of the FPS games I have played in many years, reminds me of Half Life and System Shock and original Deus
    - Amazing mechanics, guns and different damage types
    - Abilities are crazy good and creative, rpg elements are top notch
    - Lots of different enemies
    - Lots of exploration and side questing that I did not expect
    - Very well written story so far, Have not finished yet
    - Seriously one of the FPS games I have played in many years, reminds me of Half Life and System Shock and original Deus Ex
    - Runs very well
    - Graphics are not the best I've ever seen but I have really no complaints about it
    - Lots of content
    - Seriously worth the 60$ price tag, definitely an GOTY contender
  39. May 7, 2017
    Solid 60-70fps @ 2944x1656p on a i76700k/GTX 1070, all setting max. Overall a superb game that jumps straight onto my GOTY list. (Initially, I had played the demo on PS4 Pro and thought it was terrible, but It seemed most of the issues could easily be fixable or greatly improved by running the game on a good PC. I was correct in assuming that.)
  40. May 8, 2017
    Modern PC classic. Not without its minor flaws and pretty hard and demanding for the player overall. Graphics kinda look like past-gen, but the game runs absolutely great on pc, so i guess many players would put performance and gameplay (which is absolutely great here) over shiny graphics.
  41. May 5, 2017
    Great game. Not only runs smooth like butter even on average rigs, but the gameplay is very rich and refreshing. A nice mix of shootem, puzzle solving a la Zelda, nice story, powers to unlock, weapons to upgrade, stuff to rycicle in order to craft other stuff... Lot of exploration, and so many nice touches.
    One of the best game of this year.
  42. May 5, 2017
    HL2+SS2+Bioshock+Doom3+Dishonored=Prey(2017).
    Prey (2017) is when you start to be afraid to go to a cup of coffee.
    Definitely the best FPS of 2017.
    GOTY.
  43. May 5, 2017
    This is basically just a reskinned mixture of deus ex, dishonored, bioshock and a bit of system shock. Expected a shooter, received a semi-open-world crafting-looting-reading walking simulator with poor shooting mechanics. Points for good sound and music (Mick Gordon is a genius composer), optimization (better than dishonored 2, yeah) and somewhat "art deco" design. And I've been waitingThis is basically just a reskinned mixture of deus ex, dishonored, bioshock and a bit of system shock. Expected a shooter, received a semi-open-world crafting-looting-reading walking simulator with poor shooting mechanics. Points for good sound and music (Mick Gordon is a genius composer), optimization (better than dishonored 2, yeah) and somewhat "art deco" design. And I've been waiting for this game since trailers... made me very disappointed. Expand
  44. May 6, 2017
    The FPS of the year. Heiress of half life series, with some elements of dishonored and bioshock... Intriguing story, lot of exploration and optional side quests, cool level design
  45. May 7, 2017
    This game is superb. It took me right back to that bioshock aesthetic I felt so many years ago. Although it doesn't quite match games like the original bioshock story wise, it more than makes up for it with slick visuals and engaging gameplay. Its like alien isolation had a baby with system shock 2. Definitely glad I picked it up.
  46. May 11, 2017
    El mejor juego que he jugado en el año vale la pena por su historia el grafico de 4K no es importante si el juego no es bueno, si te gusta explorar hacer puzzles o hacer lo quieras lo puedes hacer se siente como un mundo abierto pero sin aburrir ARKANE se merece mi diez LO RECOMIENDO.
    The best game I have played in the year is worth it for its history the 4K graphic is not important if the game is not good, if you like exploring to do puzzles or do what you want you can do it feels like an open world but without Boring ARKANE deserves my ten I RECOMMEND IT.
  47. May 5, 2017
    Oh, this is good, this is really good. Think Half Life 1 meets Doom 3 meets System Shock.

+ extremely rewarding exploration. nothing is forced. nearly every exploration effort is subtly rewarded + the player is not overpowered. i've played the whole day today and i still am not + the upgrades are meaningful and affect the playstyle + the story is engaging and not cliche. after some

+ the upgrades are meaningful and affect the playstyle
    + the story is engaging and not cliche. after some 15 hours of playing - still not sure how it'll end
    + the performance is great, and i've seen no bugs yet, seems very polished
    + the visuals and music are on par with the rest
    + voice acting is good

I can't see any negatives yet. I am forcingmyself to go to bed now and not spend another 10 hrs exploring the station. Most engaging game in years (i am a casual player that usually has time for 1-2 games per year, so i try to be very selective).
  48. May 13, 2017
    The game is just boring. Walk into room, have random objects poof into aliens kill them best you can with lousy guns mostly wrench then repeat. Nothing exciting and boring to look at as well.
  49. May 9, 2017
    Its so good. Runs super smooth on my gtx 980ti with 144 Fps constant. and when u play on nightmare u really have the fell of a good horror game with no ammo left.
  50. May 8, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, the intro to the game is done beautifully! You wake up in your apartment as Morgan Yu, who can be male or female. The game then lets you (Yu?) mess around in your loft, which allows you to understand some of the basic mechanics like manipulating objects and learning how to operate the in-game computers. You then board a helicopter on your way to see your brother who, like you, works for the Transtar Corporation. Next, you take a couple of tests that teach Yu more mechanics in the game. After all of that is done, things start to get interesting as you soon realize everything is not what it seems.

After the opening you find out that aliens known as Typhon have escaped onto the Talos I space station, which is where you are currently located. A mysterious stranger then helps you escape your simulation, the game opens up, and you are then introduced to one of the main mechanics of the game: neuromods. Essentially, neuromods are collectible skill points that you can use to upgrade Morgan’s abilities. These allow him or her to move faster and quieter, hack machines, and increase your health. You are also get to meet one of the main Typhon enemies: the mimic.

Mimics are one of the most common aliens you can encounter in the game, and by themselves they do not pose much of a threat. However, they possess the ability to shapeshift into other objects, which allows them to camouflage themselves in plain sight. This creates a building tension as you soon realize that any object in any room on the station could potentially kill you. This tension is also helped by the fact that the mimic’s AI is programmed so that most mimics will randomly choose an object to copy. This means that enemy locations and the items they copy will be different for every playthrough, which I thought was really cool!

The other aliens are varied and creative as well. The phantoms, the next most common enemy, were numerous and came in many different flavors. Other enemies like mind controlled humans and robots also felt unique and unexpected. While not as terrifying as necromorphs, the Typhon are certainly creeping and dangerous.

A mechanic worth mentioning at this point is the crafting and recycling. Morgan can collect various trash objects to destroy and get crafting materials in return (think of it as Fallout 4’s base building system). You can then obtain fabrication plans to create various objects from guns and ammo to more neuromods. This allows the player to determine what resources are the most important to invest into, and I simply adored this aspect. It just feels so immersive and unique, allowing players to play their own way!

Moving on, the game also has great weapons. The wrench is a fine starting weapon, and hitting enemies with it always felt satisfying. The pistol, shotgun, and stun gun were standard fare, but good weapons. These guns, like the wrench, always felt satisfying to shoot and handle. The more unique weapons however allowed for more complex and creative gameplay. Recycler charges allow the players to destroy everything in a short radius and return crafting materials, while other throwable weapons prevented alien abilities from activating or disabled electronics. The GLOO gun allows players to freeze enemies in place temporarily and create platforms for traversing the station. The Q-BEAM on the other hand fired a beam that would eventually cause Typhon to explode, which left me with a smile (and Typhon remains) on my face.

Now, there are alien powers that Morgan can acquire around a quarter into the game. By researching certain Typhon, you can gain skills that are obtained and upgraded by neuromods. These include kinetic blasts to mimicry, which all seemed very fun and unique. The catch with these powers is that the automated security on the station will attack you (Yu?) on sight because you contain alien material in your system now. Personally, I chose to keep my humanity and obtained none of the powers. Even without the awesome powers, the game still felt complete and fun. I can guarantee though that on my next playthrough I will be using the alien powers to their full potential.

The enemies normally felt fair and balanced, and I never felt like I died and did not deserve it. I did however notice that some enemies felt like they took more damage than I felt was necessary. It was occasionally annoying, but not a big deal at all.

Another flaw I have with the game is using a controller. I tried the demo on my PS4 and I struggled to use the controller properly. I can confirm though that the mouse and keyboard works fabulously. I just can’t recommend the use of a controller.

My final gripe is that the resources felt unbalanced. In the beginning, I felt like I had plenty of ammo for all of my guns but I figured that would change quickly. However, during the course of the game my thoughts on ammo never really changed even though I was playing on the hardest difficulty.
  51. May 5, 2017
    Optimized fantastically. Great game play with tons of endings. Adrenaline rush from start to finish! If you liked Bioshock or Dead Space you'll love this!! Reminded me of Half Life lots (physics very similar).
  52. May 6, 2017
    As a fan of this genre want to say that the game I really liked it)) Separately say about the pros/cons.
    Pros:
    +++ 60 FPS in 2017, it's something); ++ Music - she's amazing, never boring, always in theme; ++ Crafting - very nicely done, and the processing resources; ++ Skills - they are all useful, useless as such without; ++ Dynamic battles, even if 1 on 1 with a small enemy; ++
    Pros:
    +++ 60 FPS in 2017, it's something);
    ++ Music - she's amazing, never boring, always in theme;
    ++ Crafting - very nicely done, and the processing resources;
    ++ Skills - they are all useful, useless as such without;
    ++ Dynamic battles, even if 1 on 1 with a small enemy;
    ++ The possibility of passing in the same place in completely different ways;
    ++ Some game moments that make you wince, for example, enemy jumps sharply, in addition, this is accompanied by loud sound));
    ++ Respect for Arkane Studios! Yeah, it's my personal factor.
    Cons:
    -- Interface, 90% of the game Dishonored 2 interface;
    -- The monotony of locations;
    -- lots of enemies, here he is almost 1, well a maximum of 3 sometimes... But hence the advantages no need to learn a lot of tactics, almost no damage to finish fights;
    -- Shotgun for pre-order is so poor, that a wrench is better... Yes, he is able to knockdown enemies, but it's damage is terrible.

Well, I suggest the game to all, especially fans of the genre, here has something interesting to occupy the time)

My rating: 9.4
  53. May 5, 2017
    I'm thoroughly impressed with the game so far, I think the graphics and the level design are incredible and the atmosphere is fantastic. The gunplay is a bit stiff at first but you get adjusted as you go on. The story is interesting so far and the side quests are often rewarding.

For an honest rating I'd give it a 9/10. I give it full marks because Bethesda haters are gonna inevitably spam with negative reviews. To those uninformed, they only published the game, Arkane studios developed it.
  54. May 5, 2017
    Bioshock in space. Except EVERY ♥♥♥♥ING THING can be an enemy, no game has ever made me this paranoid. Outstanding level design with lots of freedom, crafting and recycling, lots of powers and tools... A masterpiece.
  55. May 9, 2017
    I ended up creating a metacritic account just to say how great this game is. I've spent half the weekend refusing to buy this $60 single player game but finally gave in after seeing reviews and hearing from friends talk about it.

I really wish I would have got it right away so I could play more of it over the weekend. Amazing game.
  56. May 11, 2017
    This game is very creative and annoying at the same time. The difficulty can be hard if you make it hard on yourself or it can be easy if you just think about how your approaching enemies. Its nothing like Dead Space but more like a first person "Deus Ex" or just "Dishonored" in space. I had fun playing it but the fluidness of the story is slow and pulled down by constant loading timesThis game is very creative and annoying at the same time. The difficulty can be hard if you make it hard on yourself or it can be easy if you just think about how your approaching enemies. Its nothing like Dead Space but more like a first person "Deus Ex" or just "Dishonored" in space. I had fun playing it but the fluidness of the story is slow and pulled down by constant loading times going from room to room. It almost kind of ruined the ending for me maybe a little. The graphics are good and the game runs great at 4k ultra so it gets points there. There are glitches and a few minor hiccups but the developers get major points for jumping on the issues within just two days with a beta patch. Unlike Mass Effect Andromeda's Multiplayer which will never be fixed. Also maybe this game just should have been a movie instead of a game or make it more like Alien Isolation. The game needs to be engaging but most of the time feels like a chore. Was it Worth $60 yes just barely. Expand
  57. May 11, 2017
    The game is amazing! Deep lore, definitely a thinking man's game. A deep feeling of Bioshock, System Shock, dead space and Deus Ex bleed through in the gameplay (in a good way). You may feel lost in the beginning, but as events unfold and the story unravels, the world will draw you in more and more.

Whilst I have experienced a crash or 2 on PC, it's few and far between. The game is pretty stable, especially after the Dishonored 2 disaster (which I still completed twice despite the crashes). The game is also beautiful, stunning environments.

I'd highly reccomend picking it up.

PS. I see the usual trolls are giving it 0's - ignore them.
  58. May 9, 2017
    Great atmosphere,excellent map design,good plot.
    Rather than play your own way,more like play your way smart.
    Very fun to play and really immersive.
  59. May 19, 2017
    Prey isn't A Perfect game but it is a good game the semi-open world design is surprisingly done well with a pretty good Combat system the game does not focus on stealth as much as dishonored 1 or 2 and as much as they push you can do different approaches they don't allow you to do stealth at all and the game runs amazing on pc and even though after a while the jump scares do get repetitivePrey isn't A Perfect game but it is a good game the semi-open world design is surprisingly done well with a pretty good Combat system the game does not focus on stealth as much as dishonored 1 or 2 and as much as they push you can do different approaches they don't allow you to do stealth at all and the game runs amazing on pc and even though after a while the jump scares do get repetitive after a while in the beginning i never stopped becoming paranoid hitting almost every object i found and even got suspicious of the gloo cannon in the beginning of the game and talos 1 is huge with tons of side quests that are interesting and A.I that is ok and i love the weapon variety though and the jet pack is still savage as ever the combat and story i mostly stayed for and the enemies are pretty well done and i simply adore the sound track i have nearly put 1,000 characters into this rambling about the mostly mixed feelings about this game but i had to lift it up to at least an 8 just because the game has an amazing semi-open world and in the end had nearly 50 hours into the game when i felt satisfied the game is great with an awesome combat system with ok A.I and a feeling of joy also no item in this game every feels useless just because even junk can be made to materials which is made for items and the different stories through audio logs and emails are surprisingly intriguing and the gloo cannon allows for different and unique ways of use but not as much as say a portal gun the weapons are diverse and the game never stopped becoming tense and i felt their was more stuff to learn and i was left with a huge amount of playtime and a somehow unique experience also it rewards exploration and every game needs that if their semi open world or open world without it the game will feel empty and even if you don't find humans till later in the game i felt like this is a new world and it was somehow unique and a lot of first person games or games in general can do that no other game has this feeling except maybe the 1st dead space and even i that is the closest comparison it's still somehow hundred's of miles away Prey is that unique that's why i give it a 9/10 Expand
  60. May 10, 2017
    It is quite difficult, has a great progression and rewards you if you do things well, the artistic section is wonderful, the incredible mechanics, drinks from Bioshock and SystemShock.

What are the bad points for not having a 10 or a 9.5?
  61. May 11, 2017
    I needed a brand new System Shock and Arkane Studios gave us a Deus Ex/System Shock/Doom in one independent package .. I couldn't ask for more! Performance is great, Mechanics are awesome, Story is good and Graphics are good, the general atmosphere is very immersive and challenging. Love it!
  62. May 13, 2017
    Guns are useless. Chipsets are useless. Stealth is useless. Peeking is useless. Turrets are EXTREMELY useless. And every ability other than Mindjack is useless. Seriously who thought it was a good idea to be able to mind control every enemy in the game for a minute with no cooldown? And its what 2032 and turrets cannot bolt themselves in place? One sneeze and the damn thing falls over.Guns are useless. Chipsets are useless. Stealth is useless. Peeking is useless. Turrets are EXTREMELY useless. And every ability other than Mindjack is useless. Seriously who thought it was a good idea to be able to mind control every enemy in the game for a minute with no cooldown? And its what 2032 and turrets cannot bolt themselves in place? One sneeze and the damn thing falls over. Theres no reason to kill any enemies since theres no Exp system AND they respawn as soon as you hit a load screen, so its best to just skip past everything because killing the same 5 boring AIs and wasting precious ammo on your nerf guns is pointless.

Overall this game is sometimes fun, but theres not much more content that wasnt already seen in the free demo. Prey has no interaction or ingenuity that other games like Bioshock and System Shock offer. Prey feels like its trying too hard to NOT be Prey (which is about an Indian killing alien invaders in unique environments that defy gravity and physics) and instead be a cheap ripoff of the other 2 mentioned games. Classic Bethesda bugs and low quality design is to be expected on par with Failout 4.

Not worth your money or time.
  63. May 9, 2017
    Prey is for old school fans of classic RPGs - not a next gen game.
    Prey is for old school fans of classic RPGs - not a next gen game.
    In retro mode of 60s the stylish scenery looks old-fashioned and is neither really fantasy nor full SciFi. There is no novelty. Graphics and sounds are good, but nothing special. The rather extinct ghoststation lacks life. So that the atmosphere is quite monotonous and the combat gets boring in long run. Story and plot remain confusing and weird. My conclusion is: this game is overpriced..would give 5 to 6 points for it as 30 Euro pc-game.
  64. May 6, 2017
    Okay guys so...10 hours in and I'll keep it short and sweet as I need to get back to Talos 1! The game has a way of building great atmosphere and tension at times, I feel vulnerable aboard this space station alone trying to save humanity (the music is brilliant). Had some fairly epic battles so far and resources are running low now so playing it sneaky, the weapon upgrades and neuromodOkay guys so...10 hours in and I'll keep it short and sweet as I need to get back to Talos 1! The game has a way of building great atmosphere and tension at times, I feel vulnerable aboard this space station alone trying to save humanity (the music is brilliant). Had some fairly epic battles so far and resources are running low now so playing it sneaky, the weapon upgrades and neuromod enhancements are very cool. I'm constantly worrying about where the next mimic is going to jump out from, the game itself feels very solid and the fundamentals for me feel just right. It is comparable to some of the greats and seems like it has borrowed from BIOSHOCK/HL2/Deus Ex. If you enjoy these types of games I'm confident you will love PREY. As I said I've only had a taste but my god is it sweet - like drinking ice cold, 24 carrot golden flaked fresh milk on summers day, from the teat of a beautiful Greek goddess. I can't wait to see how the journey ends but for now I'm just going to enjoy the ride, it's not everyday we gamers get the treats like this we deserve. Fight the mimics bravely my friends "No retreat!....No surrender!" I'll give my official verdict after completion but I can only see the game getting better and better. Expand
  65. May 7, 2017
    There are less reviews than usual, the game isn't a garbage but isn't very good either.

Empty, soulless, no immersion. Worst: uninteresting enemies that are not enjoyable to fight in any way.
  66. May 7, 2017
    locate Dr via security computer hes not on it so i had to use a guide game failed.

Runs great the enemies are no really my cup of tea its very different from the original Prey which was really good and weird this is like Dead space in first person to me.
  67. May 10, 2017
    Wau finaly some system shock vibe ! Game got that space feeling like it was in System shock 20 y ago. Overall its great its not 10 more like 8-9 but ill give 10 to nullify those idiotic 0 reviews like "change name and would be 10 but its 0 cauze its PREY".
  68. GeK
    May 11, 2017
    Story, Atmosphere, Gameplay all solid. It's one of those games that took me back to when i was a kid playing half-life. It's a love child of Bioshock and Dishonored. I'll keep it brief go to steam reviews for longer feedback. 10/10 you must play the game.
  69. May 5, 2017
    I like the whole consept of the game, it looks and runs well, but i find it to be very little noob friendly, you face enemies that will make your day a fricking nightmare right from the get go. I find myself walking around hitting chairs and trashcans cause i never know when i will dicked on by an alien who is cloacking. Ammo is really hard to find and without ammo a wrench aint much useI like the whole consept of the game, it looks and runs well, but i find it to be very little noob friendly, you face enemies that will make your day a fricking nightmare right from the get go. I find myself walking around hitting chairs and trashcans cause i never know when i will dicked on by an alien who is cloacking. Ammo is really hard to find and without ammo a wrench aint much use against the phantoms.
    I really had high hopes for this game and it sounded so promising, but so far i feel like im walking around with no real intention or dying more than i do in dark souls
  70. May 8, 2017
    When Bioshock and Dead Space give each other a special hug you get PREY. Atmosphere and ambience are amazing, the weapon variety is solid, the shooting mechanics are acceptable and the graphics are above average. This game is worth at minimum a rental but I recommend a buy. 10/10 Would special hug again.
  71. May 11, 2017
    Doesnt run correctly on PC and deletes your saves constantly, runs fine on Consoles. I recommend getting for PS4 as it has the best performance........
  72. May 16, 2017
    Definitely the best game I have played in few last years. Not only it's has a good game play mix of System Shock 2 and Bioshock combined with a deep story, but the game is made with a extreme love for detail - the micro cosmos of Talos 1 is very elaborated, full of characters, items, weapon and ability interactions... It is just great.
    It's sad that some people have compatibility problems
    It's sad that some people have compatibility problems that makes the game unplayable. Luckily for me it's pretty stable, having only 1 in-game glitch and 2 crashes until finishing the game.
  73. Jun 2, 2017
    Five Word Review: A top notch sci-fi adventure.
    Favorite Thing: I'm a sucker for a good scifi game and I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
    Least Favorite Thing: Loading screens. You'll spend a lot of time looking at them.

Date Completed: 2017-05-22
    Playtime: ~ 32h
    Enjoyment: 9/10
    Recommendation: Play it.
  74. May 26, 2017
    This game is something! incredible good! That feeling when you didnt expect something good and then it Turns out in awesomeness! Its like dishonored + bioshock + deus ex in 1. Great gameplay, great story, great setting, very interesting side quests. Awesome adventure! I'm so glad that this is not some generic brainless shooter. Thanks Arkane Studios and Bethesda
  75. May 21, 2017
    Эта игра определенно, одна изт лучших за последние несколько лет. Умная, заставляющая думать, а не стрелять, да еще и с ползаньем на заднице. 10/10 о боже
  76. May 13, 2017
    An amazing adventure. I really enjoyed the story, the locations, overall creativity and complexity but simply couldn't stand these weapon and item models, design or animations. It ruined a lot of good vibe for me. It has to be someone who worked on bioshock and dishonored because I had the exact same feeling about this aspect in these titles. Absolutely the most disgusting design. NotAn amazing adventure. I really enjoyed the story, the locations, overall creativity and complexity but simply couldn't stand these weapon and item models, design or animations. It ruined a lot of good vibe for me. It has to be someone who worked on bioshock and dishonored because I had the exact same feeling about this aspect in these titles. Absolutely the most disgusting design. Not saying anything about the locations, just weapons and items. I'd give it a 9 out of 10 if it wasn't for that. Expand
  77. Jun 2, 2017
    Good old memories.

Half-Life+Bio Shock+Dead Space+etc=Prey

Don't miss it if you love that kind of games, and genre.

60$ for AAA shooter? Yes. It's worth it. The level design, quality, sound, music, combat, and OMG that thrill and survival horror...

Go. Buy it!
  78. May 18, 2017
    Fantastic game, a real successor to System shock and Bioshock games. To be honest its better than Bioshock 2 and Bioshock infinite, and better than original Prey. Real dark horse of this year. Arkane showed that they can make awesome games, and this time they also delivered.
    Game has really nice artstyle, runs fluidly and fast, atmosphere is great. If you like games with good stories, good gameplay and some cool powers to use, this is game for you. My number 2 this year.
    9.5/10
  79. Jun 1, 2017
    This game gets (almost) everything right, forget your usual dumbed down, cutscene infested **** this is an oldschool game thats challenging and lets you play it however you want. The whole game area is acccessible from the get-go, skill customization heavily affects your gameplay experience and problems have multiple solutions. Atmosphere and music are also exceptional. The only gripe IThis game gets (almost) everything right, forget your usual dumbed down, cutscene infested **** this is an oldschool game thats challenging and lets you play it however you want. The whole game area is acccessible from the get-go, skill customization heavily affects your gameplay experience and problems have multiple solutions. Atmosphere and music are also exceptional. The only gripe I had with it really is that the weapon arsenal is somewhat lacking, also graphics is wildly mediocre but whatever... Expand
  80. May 21, 2017
    This game is amazing. This game is amazing. This game is amazing. This game is amazing. This game is amazing. This game is amazing. This game is amazing.
  81. May 18, 2017
    A masterpiece. A game that will be remembered for a long time. In the same class as Bioshock and Half-Life 2. Bethesda did the right thing to give Raphael Colantonio and Harvey Smith the freedom and time necessary to weave their magic. And they did. Too bad these guys are both in their 50's. I hope they stick around for a while longer. The gaming industry needs people like them badly.
    Do
    Do yourself a favor and play this game. In this day an age when, with few exceptions, most games are an online mediocre affair, games like this are a rarity. And game developing studios like Arkane Studios are a rarity.
    I'm not going too much into the details. It would spoil the fun. But all the elements that are essential are there. Game level design, atmosphere, immersion, attention to detail, etc, they are all there in droves.
    At the end of the day, this game reminds us of a simple fact. If you want something great, hire people who love doing what they are doing and stop being obsessed by the bottom line. Greatness it's elusive anyway. Has always been. So stop worrying about it.
    Hats off to Bethesda. And Arkane Studios.
  82. May 28, 2017
    I never cared about the original prey. This new prey is absolutely mind blowing sci-fi fps which is rare these days. Prey is an unique adventure and worth every penny. Thank you Bethesda for this awesome game.
  83. May 26, 2017
    Mezcla en una coctelera Bioshock + Half Life + Dishonored y te saldrá Prey.

Principio brillante, lástima que haya tan poca variedad de enemigos y de situaciones, que haga que después de las 4-5 primeras horas se te haga aburrido y repetitivo... Además, ese tono cartoon no le sienta nada bien al título. Un tono más realista y oscuro le habría sentado mucho mejor. Jugado en PC (con
    Mezcla en una coctelera Bioshock + Half Life + Dishonored y te saldrá Prey.

Además, ese tono cartoon no le sienta nada bien al título. Un tono más realista y oscuro le habría sentado mucho mejor. Jugado en PC (con todo en alto/muy alto).
  84. May 19, 2017
    I think I'm enjoying this as much as system shock 2, which was my second favourite game of all time, (After system shock 1). As far as I've played, its much better than bioshock (though I never really liked that game). Same kind of creepy atmosphere. God I'm old. Anyway, highly recommended.
    My previous issues were all caused by nVidia's crappy 382.05 driver. Apologies. If you're having issues, download the 382.19 hotfix driver.
  85. May 16, 2017
    Great storyline and tense atmosphere put this game in leagues with greats like halflife2 and bioshock. If you are looking for a run-and-gun fps like doom, this game probably isn't what you are after. If on the other hand you are looking for a beautiful story-based FPS, you won't be disappointed.
  86. May 21, 2017
    It's a Very Good Game and a Very Interesting Plot....it's a shooter that is combined with Bioshock, System Shock and Dishonored......The game play is satisfying for combination to firearms and powers....and i gotta say this game is challenging as if every item is scarce in the game......and the soundtrack is quite good..the only grip with the game is that the Dialogue voices in-game areIt's a Very Good Game and a Very Interesting Plot....it's a shooter that is combined with Bioshock, System Shock and Dishonored......The game play is satisfying for combination to firearms and powers....and i gotta say this game is challenging as if every item is scarce in the game......and the soundtrack is quite good..the only grip with the game is that the Dialogue voices in-game are barely heard when the soundtrack is kicking....it's not the bounty hunter prey we've got..but it's a damn well horror sci-fi experience..and the optimization in PC is soo goood...i thought i could only play it on Medium settings on my GPU of GTX 1050 when i checked it on Game-debate...but when i ran the game on Ultra setting on 1080p it play beautiful in a rocking of 60fps Expand
  87. May 12, 2017
    The second part of the game has undergone so many changes. Tremendous work. A good story. Great Job. Also you can check the speedrun of the game.
    All gamers were waiting for this moment, and the game is awesome!
  88. May 15, 2017
    Prey incorporates elements from System Shock, BioShock and Half Life to create a truly amazing experience that is different from anything I have played in a long time.

Pros + Runs perfectly on PC. + Varied open environments that all interconnect. + Action and suspense that complement each other kept my attention throughout - not once was I bored. Cons - No FOV slider (but patch

Pros
    + Runs perfectly on PC.
    + Varied open environments that all interconnect.

Cons
    - No FOV slider (but patch is allegedly in the works and .ini alteration allows FOV changes).
    - Loading times can be a bit excessive when moving between different areas but the quality of the gameplay itself far, far outweighs this as a negative.

Overall an incredible game with many twists and turns and a great suspenseful atmosphere!
  89. May 16, 2017
    The game combines old mechanics in a new wrapper, such games are rare in our time, I was pleasantly amazed that you can kill any character in the game, knowing the games from beshesda did not expect this, thanks! Why did not the IGM score change by 8 points?
  90. May 22, 2017
    Absolutely great game, except for some technical issues(like several quest bugs) and graphics. But art design is awesome. It's very hard to find game like this in our time, so work of the Arkane studios will be appriciated by people who love story games.
  91. May 22, 2017
    I have already sunk many hours into this game, and I got to say that I really like it. The only thing that keeps it at an 8 at the moment it due to some bugs and glitches that I encountered with mimics and neuromods (but since it is still new with patches being made, I can't be too hard on that).

The only game that I can really compare it to is Deus Ex: Human Revolution with their game play, skill system, and moral decisions. So if you were a fan of that game, you should really try it out.
  92. May 24, 2017
    I played Prey going in totally blind. Didn't know a thing about the game or have any sort of idea of what it'd be like. At first I was goofing off but after the into it quickly grabbed my attention. If you pay close attention from the very start (and I mean really close) you can tell something is up the entire time, but if you run through thinking this is a normal shooter you'll beI played Prey going in totally blind. Didn't know a thing about the game or have any sort of idea of what it'd be like. At first I was goofing off but after the into it quickly grabbed my attention. If you pay close attention from the very start (and I mean really close) you can tell something is up the entire time, but if you run through thinking this is a normal shooter you'll be disappointed. While I do dislike the lack of aim-down-sights it's not one of those games that needs it (think Bioshock) due to the powers you can unlock right after the intro (provided you don't go muck about and ignore the story). For best results play up till you find the psychoscope then feel free to explore as it helps unlock your entire arsenal. The only bad thing I can think would be the facial animations and lip-syncing, but I'm not the biggest fan of Arkane's art direction. Over all this game is an 8 from me, but the ending felt a bit rushed and leaves you with many questions that it only briefly explains. Expand
  93. May 24, 2017
    Conclusión
    Conclusión
    Sin pensarlo más, Prey es claramente un indispensable, poco que ver con su predecesor, así que si jugaste a Prey 2006 no esperes más de lo mismo, pero lo que ofrece esta reinvención convencerá a cualquier amante de la ciencia ficción o a Gamers que les gustara títulos como Bioshock, Deux Ex, o los Dishonored. Si todavía estabas dudando si comprarlo o no, no lo pienses más, Prey no te defraudará.
  94. May 28, 2017
    Este juego es como una combinación de Bioshock con Dishonored y Dead Space. Todo lo que amo! Bastante entretenido y te deja con las ganas de seguir explorando, en pc la verdad que esta muy bien optimizado.
  95. Jun 8, 2017
    This game is just... amazing. It is just a great mix of best juices of the game industry with a note of old school. I think that everyone should play it from start to the end.
  96. Jun 8, 2017
    I can't believe I'm saying this after getting so pissed off at the game in the beginning, but I liked it. It has its charm. It's nothing special, for sure, it nearly chokes on all the cliches. It seems well made. The battle system can be harsh but you get a better hold on things as you progress further along. It does get repetitive after a while, since the map is a "space station". TheI can't believe I'm saying this after getting so pissed off at the game in the beginning, but I liked it. It has its charm. It's nothing special, for sure, it nearly chokes on all the cliches. It seems well made. The battle system can be harsh but you get a better hold on things as you progress further along. It does get repetitive after a while, since the map is a "space station". The moments of "suspense" accompanied by ear-bleeding sounds or "music" and all the loading instances can grind you down, sure, but it was nice. The characters were well made, the twist however predictable, still managed to get a chuckle out of me. It's a good game. Nothing special, but still worth the time. Expand
  97. May 20, 2017
    What i liked about Prey:
    - the Art-Deco design and the overall design of the environment in terms of immersion - at least in the context of a sci-fi space station that defies basic physics like gravity.
    - the general level design and complexity of the environment (meaning clutter and overall immersion of walking around something that has been lived in and used) - the story - which is
    What i liked about Prey:
    - the story - which is not very deep and complex (its rather a 101 sci-fi "wake-up-no-idea-what-happened" story) but well presented via visuals and conclusions.

What i do not like:
    - the gunplay - i cannot pin it down to a single reason - but i find the pacing unsatisfying. Weapons feel to have very little impact imo and or feel odd.
    - the AI - and i do not mean that the AI is particularly bad. But i felt like - at least in my experience so far - the AI seemed to charge into melee range in an instant most of the time - and kind of exploited the VERY narrow field of view; with the hit indicators being quite imprecise.
    - the aliens are anything but scary. There are a few jump scares - but their design is simply too simple.

Also - and maybe it is just me, because i only casually played the game so far - the ability to mimic objects might be too perfect. They jump out of no-where. I would have preferred it if they imitated an object "almost" perfectly - so that i would be forced to pay much more attention to detail to spot them. Since they seem to be perfect in that regard - i do not need to pay much attention at all - i just need good reflexes.

All in all it did not quite catch me with its atmosphere and immersion. The gunplay is not satisfying and the story is average.... which leaves me with an average product.
    Is is worth playing? sure - average is not bad ...
    Will it provide an exceptional experience (like the first time one played Bioshock maybe)? - no, i don't think so - but it is a solid time waster.
  98. May 20, 2017
    Overall the game was good but half and more of the story was through a communication device in the game and i hate that, it will be better if it have some cinematics with the characters but this is Bethesda..
  99. Jun 24, 2017
    At first, I've thought the game is mediocre, but I've given it a second chance and started to like it a lot. It feels polished, gameplay is solid. There are different build available for your character (hence multiple playthroughs). The area where the game takes place is very original and looks well designed. I've been playing video games for more than 20 years now, I recommend this game.
  100. Jun 12, 2017
    Overall it's not that bad, but it's not great either. The current average rating of 7.9, almost an 8 seems a bit much to me.

The good is the story. It's not as bad as "professional" reviewers say. it has a story with a nice twist. But as usual, intelligent (or quasi intelligent if you will) approaches have their problems. But I liked it nevertheless. Usually I'm much tougher on incorrectness. But I think this idea has something to it.

The bad is the graphics. It's not as good as many claim. It's only a minor improvement over the 2008 original Prey. What puts me off, is the use of straight lines, squares, cubes to form shapes. Of course things are round, curved or sculptured where it's needed, but the overall tendency is a scenery build-up by straight lines. The colors are crisp, the resolutions are high, so that might give it an illusion of quality, but it's nothing impressive for a recent game.

Another typical minus you'll see these days in games, is the ineffective use of graphics settings. We have textures - for example - the low settings, medium, high and very high. But the visual and performance difference between these settings is minimal. Also anti-aliasing didn't perform optimal. Under certain angles, you still see the jagged lines on railings and between doors despite the highest settings. Eventually you won't notice because you're playing the game, but this is a review and I have to go by facts. Then you decide if that's fine with you.

Now something about the game play. It was quote O.K. Nothing groundbreaking, but the good news is the upgrades one finds are useful. Many games offer a trillion upgrades and weapons and whatnot but usually only a handful - if not less - are useful. Such is not the case here.

With this, multiple solutions can and often do exist to solve one or the other problem, which almost always is a path-finding (or item-finding) challenge. The other good thing is that there seems to be multiple ways to kill the aliens, but the bad news is that the methods are based on the same principle of "stun/incapacitate, then kill".

Three examples follow: the player could throw a special grenade which makes the monster stare at the grenade so you can sneak up on it and bash its head in. The second method could be that you use your GLOO gun, to shoot a glue-goo at the alien which immobilize it, so you can run to it and bash its head in. A third option is to electrically stun it with your stun pistol, then run to it and bash its head in.

After a few times you've seen it all and done it all. Most playthroughs posted on the internet eventually result in run-and-shoot more or less. i tried a more intelligent approach each time but I got bored with it. Make sure they don't notice you, so you can execute the stun-then-gun method (or go full Rambo).

Another thing to notice is that all enemies are kinda look-a likes, though one is bigger than the other. The atmosphere on the other hand is quite nice I must say.

So all in all, this game has a promise of some depth and story wise it works for me. This game has its ups and downs, but in the end it's an elevated shooter with straightforward graphics.

1. Jun 21, 2017
    Although Prey suffers from some issues such as lack of variety in weapons, unimpressive side-missions and a few underdeveloped gameplay mechanics, it still delivers for a wide range of gamers. Whether you approach Prey as a Run and Gun shooter, Stealth Action or Action RPG, you will get enough satisfaction through its lengthy campaign full of mysteries waiting to be unveiled.
  2. Jun 20, 2017
    It is difficult to overstate what an achievement Prey's environmental and gameplay designs represent, nor the elegance and real ingenuity behind the many interlocking systems that the player accesses throughout. Whether you approach it as a horror-action game, a stealth-puzzle game or a run-and-gun shooter, Prey will accommodate you. Although it lacks narrative drive or memorable characters, Prey will engage you for hours as you realize the potential for creativity that the developers baked in to every area and moment in the game.
  3. Game World Navigator Magazine
    Jun 5, 2017
    It’s hard to shake the feeling that development time on Prey was seriously (and suddenly) cut. Developers took their time designing a magnificent space station, they worked out the relationships between personnel and outlined various background stories, they begun fleshing out the main storyline and alien ecology when suddenly they received an order to wrap it up and ship the game as it is. At least, that’s the most plausible thing I can think of to explain the staggering difference in polish between various elements. [Issue#220, p.44]