Primordia PC

8.9

1. Jul 29, 2013
    It's an indie adventure game meaning you will move the cursor around the screen hunting for interactive objects, then collect them into inventory and attempt to apply them randomly to any other interactive object on the screen or in the inventory. I am personally not much into this kind of games. The artwork is pretty mediocre and the resolution is very low (640x480 probably). The music isIt's an indie adventure game meaning you will move the cursor around the screen hunting for interactive objects, then collect them into inventory and attempt to apply them randomly to any other interactive object on the screen or in the inventory. I am personally not much into this kind of games. The artwork is pretty mediocre and the resolution is very low (640x480 probably). The music is good. I couldn't get far to see any of the story, just got stuck at the first few puzzles, as usually in such games. The game is definitely for those who like adventure games of this kind. Expand
  2. Nov 16, 2013
    Terrible endings rule what is otherwise the best game from WadjetEye to date. The game has an intriguing storyline, good characterizations, solid voice acting, excellent game play and puzzles that are challenging without being obtuse. The problem is that all of this leads up to an ending(s) that not only feels abrupt but is a limp as a soggy noodle. Honestly, when I was done I felt robbedTerrible endings rule what is otherwise the best game from WadjetEye to date. The game has an intriguing storyline, good characterizations, solid voice acting, excellent game play and puzzles that are challenging without being obtuse. The problem is that all of this leads up to an ending(s) that not only feels abrupt but is a limp as a soggy noodle. Honestly, when I was done I felt robbed not of my attention but of my time. This is especially so because the most obvious ending choice (simply refusing) leads to the lamest ending. When I was done I looked at a walkthrough and discovered there are seven(!) different possible endings. The game would have been far better off if it had just regulated itself to the one or two endings that were actually cool.

There are other issues. The hint system doesn't work as well as one might hope, as it always seems to be two steps ahead or behind where the players activity is actually at. None of the choices in the game actually impact the outcome at all, rending the way your progress through the game moot..The graphics are, as is typical from this publisher, subpar.

It is really unfortunate because I feel that this game is only a few steps away from greatness. Most of the game is well-done and engaging enough that I actually finished it. But when the player spends hours working through the game to be left with a pile of mush in their hands the disappointment lingers.
  3. Mar 3, 2013
    Primordia is a must for anyone who is a fan of old-school point click adventures. The tale follows robot Horatio and his floating companion Crispin as they try to retrieve a power core stolen from them by a boxy robot with lasers in a post-apocalyptic style world however, the story is much more than this basic premise. One of the central questions the player wants answered is whatPrimordia is a must for anyone who is a fan of old-school point click adventures. The tale follows robot Horatio and his floating companion Crispin as they try to retrieve a power core stolen from them by a boxy robot with lasers in a post-apocalyptic style world however, the story is much more than this basic premise. One of the central questions the player wants answered is what exactly happened to the humans who presumably once inhabited this Earth and created the robots left behind. Added to this is a tapestry of moral and philosopical themes such as the meaning and existence of free will, individuality, progress, and what constitutes the 'greater good'. These sometimes rather heavy themes are pulled off through excellent writing, and are offset by a quirky humour that runs through the whole game. This off-beat humour and occasional breaking of the fourth wall are reminiscent of some of my favourite, genuinely old-school games such as Simon the Sorcerer, and I think anyone who was playing this kind of thing in the early 90's will appreciate it. The worldbuilding and background detail is fantastic my one gripe is that the game just doesn't go far enough. There are hints of exciting other locations that we don't get to visit, and the larger philosophical themes are never fully explored. As this is a game and not just a visual novel, I should probably mention a bit about the gameplay it's pretty much standard of point click games, and uses the traditional inventory system. Nothing stood out as unique, but equally nothing was inconvenient or jarring. The puzzles are not particularly challenging, and there's plenty of hints on hand from Crispin if one chooses to press him for them (it's also pretty fun to hear him getting annoyed and snarky when you try and use him too many times). I prefer simpler puzzles so the flow of the story doesn't stall, but others might find this game too easy. In terms of visuals, the pixel art is gorgeous, and the colour palette of browns, rusts and muted golds perfectly realizes the dusty, disued world. The audio content is also great, from the music to the voice acting. Even minor characters are voiced, and the robot voice effects are pretty cool.

Overall an 8/10 for this game. The presentation is beautiful both visually and aurally, and beneath this is a solid story rooted in a world that feels like it really could be our future. Horatio and Crispin are likeable and memorable characters to journey through this tale with, and their easy banter creates the emotional anchor to this crumbling planet. Points are lost for the sense that the game could have been bigger both in terms of the number of locations, and the philosophical ideas that never seem to be explored quite as far as you hope. Regardless, 'Primordia' is highly recommended!

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Aug 22, 2014
    While the story and puzzles falter a bit, there is still something utterly captivating about Primordia. The robots, broken both on the outside and on the inside, claimed for themselves a small part of my heart. And with your heart, not your mind, Primordia should really be approached.
  2. Jul 24, 2013
    There is plenty to forgive Primordia for, but if you can get past the issues and lose yourself in the game there’s a rich and emotional story waiting for you. I’m a bit of a robot nut myself and despite all of my nitpicks about the game I found myself deeply affected by the ending.
  3. Games Master UK
    Feb 9, 2013
    A throwback to the genre's glory days, obtuse puzzle concoctions, awkward controls and all. [March 2013, p.78]