8.6

1. May 18, 2015
  2. Apr 6, 2015
    The game is an exciting ride with awesome climbing, jumping, wall running, puzzle solving,... and a mysterious yet undeniably amazing story. Nevertheless, though these problems are just tiny things in the wonderful world of Persia, the bad camera angle and some frustrated fights can be serious pains.
  3. Dec 15, 2014
    To start with, this game is wrongly labeled as a platformer. There's not much "platforming" to do here. Though our hero is the acrobatic kind, do not expect having to do accurate jump sequences or anything of the sort. Sections with falling floors serve a purely dramatic purpose - you don't actually fall and you don't really need to pay attention. This is more of a puzzle game where youTo start with, this game is wrongly labeled as a platformer. There's not much "platforming" to do here. Though our hero is the acrobatic kind, do not expect having to do accurate jump sequences or anything of the sort. Sections with falling floors serve a purely dramatic purpose - you don't actually fall and you don't really need to pay attention. This is more of a puzzle game where you have to find the accurate path through a series of obstacles and/or traps. This isn't so bad in itself, but if you're looking for a platformer, this is probably not the game you're looking for.

This game has several issues, however.

Context-based gameplay: Only a few buttons are used to control the prince and he pulls off amazing stunts and a lot of different moves. This is all context-based, meaning he will do a different thing depending on what's in front of him. Having said that, it's difficult in some places to make him do the exact thing that you want him to do. When your angle to the wall isn't correct, he will run along it, instead of running up. When in battle and you're parrying and suddenly the enemy is too far away, he stops parrying and might run up a wall if you're close to one because these actions are controlled with the same button. This comes along with fairly poor controls where the running direction in enclosed spaces is hard to control. Since the camera occasionally changes perspective automatically, the prince will suddenly run into a different direction, which is very annoying.

Camera system: To be honest, I have never seen a game with such a poorly implemented camera system. Some people say it's an issue with the PC port. I do not care. It's bad. The camera bounces off off walls and make "swooosh"ing noises. Who came up with that? Sometimes the camera moves into the exactly opposite direction than I move the mouse. What the heck? The camera is jumpy, suddenly changing perspective (making the prince suddenly change direction -.-), but sometimes moves so slowly that I have to lift the mouse several times. Horrible. And then there are those places where the camera is fixed in one spot. Although the intent of the developers was to point the player to the next step of the puzzle and to simplity the controls the seem not to realize that all sense of 3D is lost when the camera doesn't move. There is first-person view to overcome this, but it's stil annoying.

Combat: The combat looks interesting, but ultimately is mostly button-mashing. Just keep pressing buttons, the prince will do SOMETHING. There's no skill or tactic involved. And the battles are too long with respawning enemies. This kind of combat is a major turn-off.
    Auto-aim: No, I want to attack that OTHER guy! Oh, forget it. He just does what he wants.

Pipe levels: Some levels must be called that, because you just keep going forward, avoiding traps and overcoming obstacles. Forks in the road appear only very occasionally. Some levels in later stages of the game, however, have a very interesting level design and it really takes a while to figure out how to get through.

Gameplay segregation: I just made up that word. The game is very clearly divided in combat and puzzle sequences. Instead of occasionally running into an enemy while making your way through the palace, there are combat scenes, where you have to defend against several enemies at the same time. And then there are actually 20 of them! I would have preferred a more mixed solution where you run into enemies more frequently, but only have to fight a few. This game, however, feels like it's actually two different games...

"Sands of time" also has several good points:
    The visuals are very appealing. I have to say that the game aged very well. It's still very nice to look at. The palace looks very realistic, the textures are nice, the monster design is good. Wonderful.
    Puzzles: The puzzle sequences are easy in the beginning, but become more challenging as you advance in the game. The puzzle elements (puzzles, pillars....) blend very well into the surroundings.
    The story is quite interesting (though I'm not through yet and don't know how it evolves). The interaction between Farah and the prince is nice - she will actually react to what he is doing, like holding her breath when he is about to fall. Very nice.

To conclude... I think "Sands of time" would be a great game if there was no combat and if the controls and camera weren't as horrible as they are. But unfortunately, these blend directly into the gameplay in an action puzzle game, so I give it a fairly mixed score. It's not fun to play for me because of the controls and camera system :(
  4. May 3, 2014
    ===========
    The Sands of Time Trilogy just feels very complete & outshines nearly every other AAA game I've played even to this day.
  5. Dec 11, 2013
    I took only one issue with this game, and for me it was a pretty minor thing. The combat in this game can be a tad repetitive. Other than that, I found the story engaging, the puzzles challenging and fun, the levels well put together, and the characters were even well developed. In other words, I really don't think the combat ruins the game, or even lessens it. It just doesn't make itI took only one issue with this game, and for me it was a pretty minor thing. The combat in this game can be a tad repetitive. Other than that, I found the story engaging, the puzzles challenging and fun, the levels well put together, and the characters were even well developed. In other words, I really don't think the combat ruins the game, or even lessens it. It just doesn't make it better. Still a favorite game, and definitely one everyone should play. Expand
  6. Oct 23, 2013
    The game has enchanting graphics. Each room and area has a gorgeous design and the platforming has been done well. The combat can get repetitive once you are long in the game even though they have tried to keep it fresh by introducing new enemies as we progress in the game. The story line is romantic, charming and gripping with its sense of adventure and loneliness. The puzzle solving isThe game has enchanting graphics. Each room and area has a gorgeous design and the platforming has been done well. The combat can get repetitive once you are long in the game even though they have tried to keep it fresh by introducing new enemies as we progress in the game. The story line is romantic, charming and gripping with its sense of adventure and loneliness. The puzzle solving is downright fun and the voice acting is awesome. This is one the best games ever to grace the consoles and PC. The score is extremely good with the Persian chorus and music; will have the gamers immersed completely in the game forgetting about the real world. A must play game. A classic forever.... Expand
  7. Jun 27, 2013
    prince of persia is a true masterpiece i loved this game so much i can't even remember how many times i finished it but the best part about this game is the ability to use time i found that really cool the game play is really fun but it gets repetitive after a while but climbing and walking in the walls using the dagger to slow time and so never gets old and you'll for sure enjoy it thisprince of persia is a true masterpiece i loved this game so much i can't even remember how many times i finished it but the best part about this game is the ability to use time i found that really cool the game play is really fun but it gets repetitive after a while but climbing and walking in the walls using the dagger to slow time and so never gets old and you'll for sure enjoy it this game is a must have Expand
  8. Jun 5, 2013
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time stands out for almost ten years as one of the most entertaining and enjoyable games ever released to a game console, thanks to an amazing soundtrack, very good pacing, interesting story and gorgeous scenarios.
  9. Apr 26, 2013
    This game starts off as fun. It provides a few challenges and the graphics are good for its time. Taking advantage of the "sands of time" system is a wonderful, creative way to implement lives. However, the camera panning is simply horrible. The camera jumps when entering certain areas, forcing the player to use different movement keys to move differently. The gameplay also gets quiteThis game starts off as fun. It provides a few challenges and the graphics are good for its time. Taking advantage of the "sands of time" system is a wonderful, creative way to implement lives. However, the camera panning is simply horrible. The camera jumps when entering certain areas, forcing the player to use different movement keys to move differently. The gameplay also gets quite repetitive after a while... Running, wall-running, jumping from here to there, etc. Enemies are all the same as is the combat. I am trying to complete the game, but I keep quitting in frustration due to the increasing boredom I receive from playing for too long. Expand
  10. Mar 14, 2013
    This is a perfect example how much otherwise really good game can be destroyed by stupid control system and camera. The control of movement is based on camera position so when the position of camera is changed(this happen as you are moving through) you just start running in different direction than before. In fights sometime camera so stupidly placed you see big pillar and you and yourThis is a perfect example how much otherwise really good game can be destroyed by stupid control system and camera. The control of movement is based on camera position so when the position of camera is changed(this happen as you are moving through) you just start running in different direction than before. In fights sometime camera so stupidly placed you see big pillar and you and your opponents are hidden behind it. But that is not the worst problem of fights, that is definitely auto locking of targets. It is quiet terrible, you have to finish your opponent with your dagger when he is on the ground, but even when he is in front of you and is the closest thing to you the prince actually start attacking somebody else who is not not even next to you nor are you facing his directions instead of finishing that poor sod under your foots. This is pretty annoying as the opponent just stand up while you try retake control over prince. Also jumping and rolling is on same button and the action is taken based on context so it is quiet usual prince is doing something else that you would wish him to do. All the other things as graphic(taking the age of this game into consideration), soundtrack, originality of location and game play are pretty good and I really enjoyed cooperation with that girl who is following you, the puzzles are fun maybe little bit to easy and overall the quality of this game is really good, but the problems of control system is drawing it down and I cannot make myself giving it more than 6 points.
    If the control system was working properly a would give it 9.
  11. Mar 7, 2013
    The very idea of what a good game must be. The controls and camera are perfect, waaay better than in the other games of the series though it is the most ancient. Graphics haven't aged much but the game doesn't support HD resolutions. The story is amazing too. Instant favorite.
  12. Nov 23, 2012
    Sands of Time is a reboot of a classic puzzle platforming franchise that dates back to the very early years of PC gaming. This title introduced the
  13. Nov 7, 2012
    This is one of the best action games i've played. Great story, great combat, great visuals. The game has some very nice sad and happy moments. If you haven't played it yet, go get it :)
  14. May 18, 2012
    In the Prince of Persia series this game is a legend with superb story and amazing fun gameplay.
    A true persian feeling , great environment and never forget the heart touching music. As a game it has everything that make you addicted of persian legends and arabian nights.
    Though movie changed the story, the game features real love story with miracles and magic. Its a great adventure. As they say, " A story like none of your ever heard."
  15. Apr 6, 2012
    Fun game with a perfect length and a very good unique concept. For the most part puzzles are great and fighting style is well executed, even if fights get very repetitive after a while.
  16. Apr 6, 2012
    The Sands of Time, the magical game that brought the Prince of Persia series back to life. Undeniably one of the greatest adventure games ever made. The game has everything you need for an epic adventure; battle-ling ancient monsters, evading death traps, and solving some tough puzzles. If you screw up, no worries, you have quite a few chances to correct yourself. But that doesn't make theThe Sands of Time, the magical game that brought the Prince of Persia series back to life. Undeniably one of the greatest adventure games ever made. The game has everything you need for an epic adventure; battle-ling ancient monsters, evading death traps, and solving some tough puzzles. If you screw up, no worries, you have quite a few chances to correct yourself. But that doesn't make the game any easier. The story line is top notch and makes room for some light hearted humour. No matter what way you look at this game, its an epic adventure. Expand
  17. Nov 2, 2011
    A great game even by today's standards. There aren't many issues with the game. The combat is fun despite its lack of depth, but if you look at more modern games like Assassin's Creed, even PoP SoT does a much better job at making the action feel lively and fluent. Rewinding is also a a feature which was years ahead of its time, and was to be adopted not by action-adventures orA great game even by today's standards. There aren't many issues with the game. The combat is fun despite its lack of depth, but if you look at more modern games like Assassin's Creed, even PoP SoT does a much better job at making the action feel lively and fluent. Rewinding is also a a feature which was years ahead of its time, and was to be adopted not by action-adventures or platformers, but racing games. Graphics for this game's genre at the time remain unmatched too. The level design deserves high praise too, with innovative challenges that don't take a genius to work out what you're meant to do. The gameplay elements are well-balanced so you won't get bored, and will want to keep playing to find out what happens next in the story. This is well-done because cutscenes aren't too long and the story is told gradually to keep your interest. This game to the genre in 6th generation is what Batman Arkham Asylum is to 7th gen. Truly a well-designed, market-leading game in every aspect. Expand
  18. Aug 24, 2011
    this game has an story that is fun to follow with excellent written characters (basically 2 characters but better 2 great character then a million horrible ones, yeah elder scrolls I am calling you out) anyway the gameplay is very smooth mostly because you can rewind time when you die, which will happen a lot the combat is a little repetitive but it is okay. overall an amazing game
  19. Jul 26, 2011
    Horrible controls make this game impossible to play. First, I don't need to see a cut-scene every time I put my sword away. Second, being able to control the mouse for a greater view other than 10o degrees left or right would be helpful. Navigating around is made nearly impossible with very limited mouse view movement. You fee like you are trapped in a box or have a broken neck and can'tHorrible controls make this game impossible to play. First, I don't need to see a cut-scene every time I put my sword away. Second, being able to control the mouse for a greater view other than 10o degrees left or right would be helpful. Navigating around is made nearly impossible with very limited mouse view movement. You fee like you are trapped in a box or have a broken neck and can't move more than 2" inches left or right. On newer computers at least on mine I have to set the graphics to low in order to play it. I guess my 16GB of ram and GTX560 is too much for it to handle. The fighting is good but I can't play the game due to the horrid controls. UNINSTALLED. Expand
  20. Jul 10, 2011
    Outstanding game to say the least. I liked the puzzles, movement and action of this game. I look forward to playing all the rest of the PoP games now. Well done Ubisoft. Still a great game to play in 2011.
  21. Jun 10, 2011
    For a gamer who have played both Assassin's Creed I & II, I can say that those two iconic games take root from this awesome masterpiece. TSoT have a great puzzle design, and in terms of free-running, definitely a lot more challenging than AC, as you need to press the button for the corresponding action, not holding three buttons at the same time and let the PC do the obstacle-clearing forFor a gamer who have played both Assassin's Creed I & II, I can say that those two iconic games take root from this awesome masterpiece. TSoT have a great puzzle design, and in terms of free-running, definitely a lot more challenging than AC, as you need to press the button for the corresponding action, not holding three buttons at the same time and let the PC do the obstacle-clearing for you. At times, the puzzles are so complex you'll spend 1 hour+ finding your way through. But when you do get them, it's extremely satisfying. However, as most console-to-pc games, they have bad controls and camera movement. Dodging from enemies is very hard. Talking about enemies, they're very hard and complicated. The enemies won't die easily, and furthermore when they die, you need to absorb the enemies' corpses into your dagger, otherwise they will rise again and you have to fight them, again. Things got even more complicated when there's 4-5 enemies at a time, and when one enemy is killed, another one will come and replace him. If you're planning to buy this game, expect your patience level to be tested to the max (and your bladder XD). Expand
  22. Nov 9, 2010
    Prince of Persia is a game I simply had to write a review about, because the movie somewhat made it look bad.... It one of the best games I have ever played, the story drew you in, the characters were developed well, the level design was gorgeous, the soundtrack was brilliant, the acrobatics were great, turning back time was just freakin awsome... But if I just had one gripe, it would bePrince of Persia is a game I simply had to write a review about, because the movie somewhat made it look bad.... It one of the best games I have ever played, the story drew you in, the characters were developed well, the level design was gorgeous, the soundtrack was brilliant, the acrobatics were great, turning back time was just freakin awsome... But if I just had one gripe, it would be the fighting mechanics. It didn't annoy me too much, but after a while you get over how cool the Prince is as he continnously jumps obver enemies, it wasn't as refined as Warrior Within's freeform fighting system alloying you more freedom in using the environment and style of play (that was the only good thing about WW). But this dosen't tarnish POP:SOT, it is still one the most brilliant games I've ever played. Collapse
  23. PhilipD
    Nov 29, 2009
    You just know a game's going to be good when the only two bad metacritic ratings are from people reviewing the wrong game. This game has intelligent gameplay and story. The wind-back-time system is perfect for games like this that rely on making dodgy jumps. There's one bit in the game where you can't use it and it makes you appreciate it so much more. It's almost as You just know a game's going to be good when the only two bad metacritic ratings are from people reviewing the wrong game. This game has intelligent gameplay and story. The wind-back-time system is perfect for games like this that rely on making dodgy jumps. There's one bit in the game where you can't use it and it makes you appreciate it so much more. It's almost as if that section of the game mocks all other platformers! I had several happy nights drinking apple cider and playing through this game. It's magical and you really grow to like the characters. Just like Final Fantasy or Call of Juarez, this game's story actually stayed with me. Most games don't manage that. 10/10 Expand
  24. AnalogueB
    Jul 18, 2008
    An incredible game that simply doesn't put a foot wrong. Story, combat, puzzles, atmosphere, visuals etc are all perfectly realised and elegantly packaged. And the innovative 'rewind' gameplay mechanic not only works brilliantly, but also fits well with the story and doesn't feel at all gimmicky or tacked on. Provided you're not an impatient gamer, you should An incredible game that simply doesn't put a foot wrong. Story, combat, puzzles, atmosphere, visuals etc are all perfectly realised and elegantly packaged. And the innovative 'rewind' gameplay mechanic not only works brilliantly, but also fits well with the story and doesn't feel at all gimmicky or tacked on. Provided you're not an impatient gamer, you should consider this is an essential title. Expand
  25. AnonymousMC
    May 8, 2008
    U know...It's not like that that that game is boring or sth like that (:-D). I mean... If U R looking 4 some fighting game with some puzzles, than Pronce of Persia Warrior Within is just perfect for you... And if you wanna some puzzle game, than that one and Pronce of Persia The 2 Thrones are ideal 4 U. I like puzzles and some fighting so it's a very good game IMO. I played PoPU know...It's not like that that that game is boring or sth like that (:-D). I mean... If U R looking 4 some fighting game with some puzzles, than Pronce of Persia Warrior Within is just perfect for you... And if you wanna some puzzle game, than that one and Pronce of Persia The 2 Thrones are ideal 4 U. I like puzzles and some fighting so it's a very good game IMO. I played PoP WW too, but I think taat 1 is better like T2T/ The animations are wonderful and it helps people to realax a little bit. So, overall, it's a fabolous game!!! Expand
  26. ThomasF.
    Dec 28, 2005
    This game truly captures the essence of it's original 2D predecessor. One of the best games of the year. A must own game!
  27. HashamA.
    Nov 8, 2004
    Excellent from the start to the end,should have been the game of the year.excellent combat system,jaw dropping graphics & a heroic Prince.never played anything like it.tired of FPS & pumping badguys full of lead,try this for a change.you'll never regret it.
  28. JouniM.
    Aug 18, 2004
    Just brilliant hop'n'jump game!! Me like it a LOT :D
  29. RyanC.
    Jun 15, 2004
    It kicks so much ass, that you can't really say more about it then that it kicks so much more ass then any other game had ever kick ass before.
  30. Jogilius
    Feb 8, 2004
    Nice graphics, but otherwise about everything qualifies as being merely ok. The fighting system could definitely have been done worse, and it is sometimes even enjoyable,but still there are times that you don't feel being that much in control since there is only one dagger button and sometimes you attack the zombie you didn't want to attack. Otherwise, in terms of content, too Nice graphics, but otherwise about everything qualifies as being merely ok. The fighting system could definitely have been done worse, and it is sometimes even enjoyable,but still there are times that you don't feel being that much in control since there is only one dagger button and sometimes you attack the zombie you didn't want to attack. Otherwise, in terms of content, too much repetition. The "puzzles" or so are hardly rewarding or challenging and the battles are nothing but repetition and make me say "oh, not another one of these battle scenes"... just zombies teleporting out of nowhere. Not that fun. Expand
    Feb 8, 2004
    Though it can become repetitive at times, I think this game is one of the best games I have played. The acrobatic puzzles and the fighting are great. And the graphics: F..kin awsome.
  32. JasonB.
    Feb 5, 2004
    BORING!!! As with the previous Prince games, this one is just as weak. Pretty graphics but nothing really good here.
  33. ReluctantFanatic
    Feb 3, 2004
    PoP is the most involving, genuinely fun, fluidly controlled game I've ever played. The designers must have sat down with a few hundred tomes on Indian and near-East architecture to design the interiors and exteriors of the palace chambers. This title blurs the line b/n gaming and art. The story is also unusually compelling; manipulate time to correct a curse you unleashed yourself. PoP is the most involving, genuinely fun, fluidly controlled game I've ever played. The designers must have sat down with a few hundred tomes on Indian and near-East architecture to design the interiors and exteriors of the palace chambers. This title blurs the line b/n gaming and art. The story is also unusually compelling; manipulate time to correct a curse you unleashed yourself. Good stuff. I found myself relishing both the puzzle-solving and the combat. The power of Haste was incredibly fun to use. Expand
  34. EdgarP.
    Jan 17, 2004
    Very lovely, and very infantile. The state of gaming has sunk so low that graphical grandeur has subsumed all strategy and tactics and intelligence. Fun? Insulting, really.
  35. IzZo
    Dec 22, 2003
    God Bless Ubisoft,Damn this is a heck of a game!! i was literally playin it with my jaw wide open! its bloody beautiful, and di Gameplay is sooo incredible, i cant get enough of runnin on walls,i'm tellin u, this dude is a monkey! its amazing wat u can do in this game,this game has 2 b the greatest game i've seen yet,the camera a problem? meh, its nevah really bugged me, guess God Bless Ubisoft,Damn this is a heck of a game!! i was literally playin it with my jaw wide open! its bloody beautiful, and di Gameplay is sooo incredible, i cant get enough of runnin on walls,i'm tellin u, this dude is a monkey! its amazing wat u can do in this game,this game has 2 b the greatest game i've seen yet,the camera a problem? meh, its nevah really bugged me, guess its coz i've seen worse, normally just press the X key and center the camera or use the mouse to rotate it 2 ur viewin pleasure, if that does'nt help, well...GET OVER IT!but seriously i think ur missin owt if u have'nt tried this game yet, and if u've played it and u dont like it,there has got 2 b somethin wrong with u!Overall very well done game, great music,graphics,story and gameplay,wat more could u ask for from a game? Expand
  36. :);)
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great!!!
  37. IlyaT.
    Dec 14, 2003
    Amazing game, its only downside is that its so great it seems short....
  38. JayS.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Beautiful gfx, smooth intuitive gameplay, excellent sounds and a half decent story. I played the original game years ago on the Amiga when it was cutting edge so expected something a bit different and sands of time certainly delivers. The only downer here is a dodgy camera and length of game but all in all it is a superb game highly recommended, give it a try I think you would be Beautiful gfx, smooth intuitive gameplay, excellent sounds and a half decent story. I played the original game years ago on the Amiga when it was cutting edge so expected something a bit different and sands of time certainly delivers. The only downer here is a dodgy camera and length of game but all in all it is a superb game highly recommended, give it a try I think you would be pleasently surprised. Expand
  39. GregF.
    Dec 10, 2003
    This game is great, but apparently on the PC version you can't get any of the cool secrets like on the console versions. Plus, this game wasn't much of a challenge. All in all though, it's one of the better games that I've played recently.
  40. SachinM.
    Dec 9, 2003
    Hello, amazing game it is. Good GFX and a nice story to go along. Though.. It has some downsides. still it's a fun to play in your past time.. you should try it out .
  41. G.Coop
    Dec 3, 2003
    A good looking and potentially fun game with two major flaws: 1. The camera angles are absolutely the worst I've ever seen in any game. Period. 90% of the time you die its because you couldn't see what you were doing because the camera angle didn't let you see the danger. 2. Only periodic saves. Maybe its just me, but it drives me crazy when games have "save points" and A good looking and potentially fun game with two major flaws: 1. The camera angles are absolutely the worst I've ever seen in any game. Period. 90% of the time you die its because you couldn't see what you were doing because the camera angle didn't let you see the danger. 2. Only periodic saves. Maybe its just me, but it drives me crazy when games have "save points" and don't let me save when and where I want. Expand
  42. H.JW
    Nov 28, 2003
    This game is damn near perfect . Jump around , slice and dice enemies , or maybe rewind time . It will make you wonder how you could pull off all those impossibly cool moves with just a push of a button . It just never gets old .
  43. UsmanT.
    Nov 26, 2003
    This is very great game and i hope that you also make its 5th part on all platforms.
  44. UsmanT.
    Nov 26, 2003
  45. CDonCotton
    Nov 18, 2003
    This game is one of the best games i have played this year it has a great fighting system and the environments are cool as hell and the best part about this game is the puzzle solving but it aint no lame puzzles its full interactive environments that are the puzzle. This game is the shiot and totally buyable.
  46. Nov 9, 2010

Ubi Soft Montreal has captured everything we loved about the first game without sacrificing the kinds of things we expect from games these days.
  2. Thrillinng acrobatic action, though the controls and camera could be better. [Mar 2004, p.88]
  3. The freedom of movement requires a new level of spatial imagination. Before Prince of Persia, platform games were like playing Tetris with only the blocks and bars. [Christmas 2003, p.100]