7.2

1. Aug 21, 2011
    Repetitive, and not particularly challenging. However, Prince of Persia is a very beautiful game, and the acrobatic sequences are very fluid and well executed.
  2. Dec 2, 2012
    For me it was never a problem with game's difficulty. I liked the game more then i expected because it put me in the sense of flow that i rarely experience in video games nowadays. But what makes it stand out for me so much is that when you make the biggest game decision you never question your choice or it's outcome and you accept all consequences while saying "It was all worth it" and spilling a little tear at the end. The biggest pleasure i got was AFTER i finished the game and realized what was it about and why things happened how they happened. Its a masterpiece. Simple, but it doesn't have to be difficult to be good. Its a perfect example of story-based video games that actually put a "story" and a "video game" not running along but depending on each other 100%. Expand
  3. Mar 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Worst Prince of Persia Ever.
    I fell in the trap of buying this game blindly due to the non DRM promise from Ubisoft. All I can say the graphics and the non existent DRM are the only positive things I can say about the this game, and I am a huge fan of PoP way back since the first game.
    First the game, easy, way too easy, highly repetitive and short. You basically run around in various environments and the visually very appealing jump and run sequences basically are a hit the displayed button within 5 seconds quicktime event. The puzzles which always have been one hallmark of pop are virtually non existent, and the boss fights are constantly over and over again to be done. Worse every boss has to be defeated 5 times, 4 of the times there is literally no change in pace or strategy.
    The non dying is not the worst design decision in the game, there are others way worse.

Add to that that the voice actors now come with disney like american accents and you have the perfect Prince of Persia designed by marketing droids, where the gameplay simply was forgotten, or there was forgotten that there was a game at all, hence I am giving this game a score of 2, both points for the visual appealing presentation and non existent DRM. Too bad that the game was forgotten behind the presentation.

All I can say is games industry, please stop trying to design your games after marketing peoples demands and start again to design games. For me this game was enough reason to quite the series for now, maybe the latest PoP is better, but I am taking an absence from PoP!
  4. Sep 9, 2011
    If I wanted to pay $60 bucks for a movie, this would be the way to go. The hero cannot die, and there are only a few different bad guys. Like many other games I was suckered into product loyalty, and then this comes along. Graphically, it looks fantastic, but there is little depth to the character and the difficulty seems to peak about two boss fights in.
  5. Mar 3, 2012
    Beautiful game but really - booooooooooooooooooooooooooring, the plot is blurry and not interesting, Elika is irritating, speeches are useless and boring too.
    The are only several features that you may like: beautiful fantastic levels, god mode (you can not die - but this will like only noobs I think - no competitiveness at all, boring...), and not bad platformer arcade - but not more...

The boring features of the game really kills the will to replay it.
  6. Sep 11, 2011
    It was a hard time choosing the right score for that game. Prince of Persia puts you in an amazingly beautiful universe: the one that you cannot forget after playing the game. Contrary to what a lot of players think, the game is not easy; it isn't hard as well, but difficult enough to force you to redo a few checkpoints. There are some sequences that are simply epic. The ones where you're wondering why they are so short, the ones where you actually go back just to feel that sensation again. The complicity between the prince and Elika is very touching: everything in the game, maybe besides some dialogs, are going towards this. Every move that involves both characters tends perfectly to create a unique atmosphere throughout the game.

However, the ending of the game (that I will not reveal here) is really disappointing in my opinion: it goes against everything that is built during the whole adventure, and I felt it did not really fit in the story, thus the score. Even though it is poetic, it doesn't have the depth of other adventure games. Despite a very good (but quite easy) last battle, Prince of Persia doesn't really end what it has started and will leave a unpleasant taste of unfinished story.
  7. Jan 9, 2013
    Absolutely rubbish. Nothing like the other superb games in the series. This one is an experiment gone wrong. Its boring, dull and a waste of your money and time. AVOID!
  8. Dec 24, 2012
    The game looks good in therms of design and graphics but that's the only positive thing I can think of.
    This game basicly destroyed almost every aspect of Prince of Persia I enjoyed for the past years.
    From basicly the first second I was feeling like a useless addition to the entire story. There's nothing left of the epic prince I remember. You're wining little prick that carries a
    magical princess through the entire country. I thought it was maybe just for the start of the game but I ended up not feeling epic a single second in this game. The game should in my opinion be called:
    "Princess of Persia" There's no serious fighting and you can't even die anymore.
    It became a nice looking platformer for kids. For anyone new to prince of persia and is not looking for serious action, this game might not be as bad as I make it seem. For anyone used to the great action, fighting and challenges from the PoP series, this game will bring nothing but disappointment.

P.S. Also it's now available on steam for only
  9. May 14, 2013
    the worse prince of persia ever, a saga who caracterized for it diffucult sells it to the noob public, great desappoint, stupid dialogues and principal character, and don´t forget to say the best word to describe this "bored"
  10. Jul 19, 2011
    A rich story, often charming and flirtatious, combined with a one-dimensional combat system. Definitely a console port so using a gaming controller is ideal. Keyboard/mouse is possible, but it takes a lot of practice and frustration to get consistently good at it. Most of your time will be spent chasing down light crystals which is just plain boring and repetitive, but if you don't overdo it by trying to get all of them, the story flows pretty nicely. I did find the ending to be extremely disappointing and had me wondering why I went though all the effort to begin with. Expand
  11. Apr 30, 2011
    Charming and beautiful game. Creative areas with breathtaking vistas. Repetitive game play which still feels fresh until the end. Good character animations. Excellent voice acting. Surprise heart wrenching ending.
  12. Jul 3, 2011
    I'm a big fan of graphics such as this game. But the lack of originality and repetitive cycle of combat really feels like a grinding game. I would rather just sit back and enjoy the world of Persia rather than actually beating this game.
  13. Aug 21, 2011
    Prince of Persia... umm, 2008? I dunno! I'm just gonna call it Prince of Persia: The Fallen King because that sounds better to me! Enough about the title and to the game. The gameplay is simple and requires little dexterity to use but quite a while to truly master. It is alot easier than the Sands of Time trilogy (or quadrilogy including Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands) due to the fact that you can't die. Your hot companion will always save you which actually took alot of frustration off of this game for me! The graphics are absolutely stunning with an anime approach to visuals and character design. There are 20 areas and 4 bosses and each area must be purged of its corruption and bosses need to be killed. Simple! Some areas are obviously focused on more than others gameplay wise but they offer some originality to the others. Each area is individually designed (talking about graphics here) to have a different experience to them. The combat in this game can be quite easy as it is a 1 Vs. Prince combo based game with stunning over-the-top animations that really suit the games style! Overall, if you're a Prince of Persia fan, get this game, and if you aren't well... Get it anyway! My only main con I can find is the ending got me so angry because after all that effort of me purging the lands the Prince just goes and-oh right! No spoilers! Expand
  14. Sep 22, 2011
    Should you buy it? Ehhhhhh.... this is really hard for me to answer. I was one of those who read the reviews and was like, this is just too easy, Ubisoft went too far and this game is basically a quick time event made into 12 hours. At least in Assassin's Creed they let you chose your own missions and fight multiple enemies at once, this game seems more like a movie with minimal input from the player.

While I would still say the game is a bit simplified and easy, I had a great time playing it and really feel glad I decided to give it a try, cause the experience is pretty awesome. The graphics and overall craftsmanship of the levels is really well done. You can tell Ubisoft believed this is a AAA game, cause it is very polished and beautiful to look at. Nothing you wouldn't expect from Ubisoft Montreal, guys behind Splinter Cell. The animations are just as fluid if not more so then Assassin's Creed, and the boss fights feel suitably epic.

The combat's pretty basic in nature and can devolve into quick time events, so it's not gonna be for a lot of people who want a challenge, but I was alright, since I don't play platformers as a general rule. And the no death aspect of the game, which a lot of people have complained about, was actually a game design choice that made sense to me when I played through it. Instead of quicksaving every 5 steps like in other games, you can just die by falling off a ledge and there'll be a quick 3 second animation and boom, you're right back on solid ground before the mistimed ledge jump. It really takes the frustration part out of platforming and sorta compels you to keep progressing. So ultimately, it just gets rid of the F9 quickload and isn't really any easier then other games, it's just presented in a different fashion.

What really stands out is the beauty of the various levels and the interaction between the two main characters, leading to the ending... which I absolutely love. It's powerful and moving and depressing but inevitable and **** brilliant. Ubisoft was sending a very meta message with that and I like how it makes a complete fool out of all the people who are complaining about it.

Ultimately, I can't really recommend you pay 60 bucks for the game, because the gameplay really isn't deep enough to justify it. The ease and quick time events... let's be honest, this is not Game of the Year material. However, if you can rent it for your console, or... obtain the PC version somehow, you'll be able to play it through in 2 or 3 days and have a very rewarding experience, I feel.

Maybe worth it for 40 bucks, which I hear they've dropped it to.
  15. May 18, 2012
    While playing this game YOU HAVE TO FORGET ABOUT CLASSIC STORY AND ENVIRONMENT. In simple words game fully just with your money. You surely gonna enjoy it, yeah a bit easy it is but its fun.
    A simple story and simple gameplay. Art style looks nice. As a spin-off its a good addition to series.
  16. Dec 26, 2012
    Even if it was not a hard game (really easy indeed). It has got amazing and charismatics characters, and an incredible story. It's a shame that ubi never came with the sequel of this amazing game
  17. Nov 23, 2012
    Its been 20 odd years since I last played a Prince of Persia game (and 30 years since Karateka on the Apple II). The franchise has evolved a bit since then.

The platforming in POP is on rails- almost to the point of being a chain of pre-rendered quicktime events similar to the classic Cinimeatronics titles (Dragons Lair/etc). This reduces the difficulty level to merely Pavlovian
    responses: See a ring- press Expand
  18. Dec 28, 2012
    This is a really mixed game. The gameplay itself is not entirely absorbing, but the execution is stunning. It's important to highlight the fact that this is a repetitive game. You essentially do the same few things over and over and over again to get through each level. With the added factor of not being able to die, and enemies being defeated in a simplistic, "Press X! Press A!" way, this is not a challenging game.
    That being said, if you look at it like a 3D platformer, rather than an action game, it's rather - in fact, very - good.
    The visuals are truly incredible. This is now a four year old game, and the graphics style still excels ahead of almost all of today's games, in my humble opinion. Its wonderful contrast of dark and light, with the beautifully painted scenery, makes it a worthwhile addition to anyone's collection of arty games. Honestly, I could watch it for hours.
    Overall, then, I found it a beautiful, wonderful, exquisitely polished bore.
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    after the perfect part in the whole series the two thrones we are rewarded with this game which is not that bad but it is full with defaults like the game is so easy it offered no challenge at all (pretty much u can't die in this game) and the combat in this game is not that good as the previous parts and after all that the ending is not satisfying at all but i still can't deny the amount of fun i had in this game but i could have easily skipped this part and wouldn't be sad if i hadn't played it Expand
  20. Dec 2, 2013
    As a newcomer to Prince of Persia (well, I played the original back in 1989...) I really enjoyed this game and was disappointed it didn't go over with the fans very well. The action is super-fluid, just as a game like this should be, and the fighting system is deep. You can set up insane 10+ hit combos on the bad guys. A deep fighting system is a welcome relief from the "keep pushing the A button" depth of most 3D platformers. Unfortunately, the game's biggest flaw is there is really no penalty for dying. They start you RIGHT back where you died. They were trying to reboot the series and keep it accessible, but this was just a misstep. Still, on a pure gameplay level this is just an incredibly fun game. Expand
  21. Aug 4, 2013
    Princ u novom ruhu, grafika i atmosfera su odlični, tu je ona djevojka što nas spašava, misije i zagonetke su raznovrsne, a jedina mana su dosadne borbe sa lakim protivnicima...
  22. May 2, 2014
    con:
    1. Progressively boring combat system
    2. Main quest is a collecting game
    ↓ result in
    3. little replay value

pro:
    1. Beautiful game, I find myself constantly distracted by the fantastic scenery.
    2. Witty dialogues present vivid personality of characters
    3. You won't die, so easily accessible for anyone, you can even say it's a scenic casual game
  23. Apr 1, 2014
    This is my third prince of persia, and the best, Gameplay is excelent, the graphics are nice, the game is large... Any more?
    The cell-shading effect is very good, I have not found anything in the game that I did not like, everything is excellent. There is only a small detail a bit ugly, the shadows are many mountain peaks, but well, esdel 2008!
    The soundtrack I liked it because it fits
    perfectly with the atmosphere every time I hear music I get wanting to play jajaj.
    ABSTRACT: This game is a 100/100, although I liked, nothing m disappointed, now you can find for less than $ 20, you know, buy it.
  24. Aug 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I liked it's completely different story and the adictive gameplay. The game is not really difficult, but I think it was made to make us have fun, not to have a challenge. The map and the environment is very attractive, even being made like cartoon and the gameplay is very fluid and varied, because there is a lot of diferent movements.
    The story shows us something completely diferent, I've never seen something like this, but I hate the end of the game, because it makes me think: "everything I've done during the game was useless". Even with it, I recommend the game if you want to have fun and if you want to watch a story completely new.

It has its shortcomings, but I already sense that Prince of Persia will be one of the few games from this generation that I carry with me for the next decade.
  2. Having said this, Prince of Persia is one of those games that has obvious flaws but manages to pull together to become so much more than the sum of its parts. The charmingly cliched story, the visuals, audio, and their sparkling polish come together to make the Prince of Persia a modern epic. [January 2009, p.51]
  3. While its lack of challenge may lull fans, its ease of use will delight newcomers and draw in anyone who appreciates a touch of magic.