Proteus PC

5.6

1. Jan 30, 2013
    First off; Proteus is a fine game. It has no enemies, no save points, no skills, no weapons, no levels, and no way to die. What it DOES have is a fantastic environment that, even though pixelated, is quite beautiful, A dynamic soundtrack which changes depending on what you are interacting with at the time, and a sense of wonderment, mystery, and exploration. If you are looking for aFirst off; Proteus is a fine game. It has no enemies, no save points, no skills, no weapons, no levels, and no way to die. What it DOES have is a fantastic environment that, even though pixelated, is quite beautiful, A dynamic soundtrack which changes depending on what you are interacting with at the time, and a sense of wonderment, mystery, and exploration. If you are looking for a violent shoot 'em up or a viscous hack n' slash, this game is not for you. If you are looking for a dynamic, ever-changing environment where you can go to explore, chase frogs, and relax, this is a must have. To me Proteus isn't so much a game as it is my happy place. Expand
  2. Feb 4, 2013
    I've got to go low on this one. This is not a game. This is an interactive screensaver. Let me repeat: This is not a game. Worst $10 spent. I'd rather get mugged. At least then it's an actual experience.
  3. Feb 4, 2013
    It looks like the people posting the terrible reviews didn't manage to figure out how to progress in the game. That is not the game's fault, but the user's fault, and in my eyes is the equivalent of someone calling a book terrible, because they can't figure out how to open the cover and get to the pages.

If you require your hand constantly held through your games, and big flashing

If you require your hand constantly held through your games, and big flashing arrows pointing which way to go and what to do next, this game isn't for you. If you like an atmospheric, charming, exploration game that will provide you with an amazing experience, give it a try! I found it a very satisfying and relaxing experience, and on my second play through noticed things I hadn't previously, and was greeted with a new landscape to explore.

I highly recommend this "relax-em up" (not sure what else to call it!) to anyone who wants a new experience and wants to get lost in an interesting world.
  4. Feb 17, 2014
    I bought Proteus at a very stressful point in my life and it was exactly what I needed. Just being able to spend time in this amazing world was enough to help me relax and feel prepared for the next day. Everything about the world feels alive and invites you in. The music responds to your current position, the animals and plants react to your presence and at night lead you onward to theI bought Proteus at a very stressful point in my life and it was exactly what I needed. Just being able to spend time in this amazing world was enough to help me relax and feel prepared for the next day. Everything about the world feels alive and invites you in. The music responds to your current position, the animals and plants react to your presence and at night lead you onward to the next part of the experience.

I must have played Proteus all the way through at least five times at this point and I still keep finding new things every time I sit down to play it.

I believe that, ultimately, your experience of the game will depend on what you want out of it. I had a real need for something like this when I came across it, I loved sitting up on the mountainside, watching the mist roll down the sides and the sun set in a beautiful red off in the distance. But if you feel bored or hyperactive, I wouldn't recommend this particular title to you.
  5. Aug 13, 2014
    Unlike Dear Esther it doesn't look good, unlike Ether One or Gone Home it doesn't play good. What's to like? It's a badly drawn crock of **** with nothing to recommend it.
  6. Sep 14, 2013
    I love casual, immersive games, and I love minimal design. The game looks great and is a joy to interact with... for about 30 minutes.

I spent about 2 hours playing this because I had read there was "more than meets the eye," and there certainly is. There are interesting elements that are not immediately obvious. But even then, there is VERY little content and almost no replayability. I don't mind that there is no real objective or conflict, but the overall experience was underwhelming.

I would maybe have given this a higher score if it went for $5, but even at that price I couldn't recommend it. I'd love to see what the developers do next, but in my mind this is no more than a tech demo.
  7. Mar 10, 2013
    Proteus is a really nice relaxing interactive-art-game-experience-thing. The warm, shifting colors fit perfectly to the soothing music, which alters depending on which element you pass. The sun rises, the sun sets, seasons go by until a year has passed. And you wander around, unwinding and enjoying the scenery and finding little eastereggs everywhere. Day and night have their own secrets,Proteus is a really nice relaxing interactive-art-game-experience-thing. The warm, shifting colors fit perfectly to the soothing music, which alters depending on which element you pass. The sun rises, the sun sets, seasons go by until a year has passed. And you wander around, unwinding and enjoying the scenery and finding little eastereggs everywhere. Day and night have their own secrets, as do the seasons. Still the game does seem to be a bit short lived. The island is just not that big and after a couple of playthroughs (which mostly take around 40 minutes or so, depending on how long you choose to linger) you've seen all there is to see in this world. It would be wonderful to see this changed in either an update or a sequel. Bigger islands, more elements. That's basically it as far as I'm concerned. In the end I enjoyed Proteus, although maybe not for its full €10,- price. It left me with a taste for more; I might even acquire Journey, or replay PS3's Flower just because of this. Expand
  8. May 30, 2013
    Well I was prepared about what I was going to see in Proteus, though I didn't expect that. This game has no purpose, you only wander in the woods and you can't really interact with the environment. If that was a pre-release or Alpha that would be acceptable.

The graphic were nice though, old school but not messy. They were well made and that is the only thing I liked. Music wasn't that interesting and at some point it was boring. I only liked music during night.
  9. May 22, 2013
    There is not much you can do in the game besides walking around. You need to follow some visual clues to advance. However after just one hour I had played it through and to be honest I do not really feel the urge to do so again. This game has therefore just not enough content to rectify even the low price of 5$. To be honest I even feel ripped off by that low price because it is not lowThere is not much you can do in the game besides walking around. You need to follow some visual clues to advance. However after just one hour I had played it through and to be honest I do not really feel the urge to do so again. This game has therefore just not enough content to rectify even the low price of 5$. To be honest I even feel ripped off by that low price because it is not low enough for what you get. 1$ may would have been fine. Expand
  10. Aug 18, 2013
    Another ridiculous and utterly unwarranted game critic love affair! Avoid this hype-bomb at all costs. Speaking of costs, I wouldn't even play this for free. I was excited about this "game" based on critic reviews, and jumped at the humble bundle chance to grab it. What a miserable disappointment. You will be absolutely done and bored mindless within 30 minutes flat, and all I couldAnother ridiculous and utterly unwarranted game critic love affair! Avoid this hype-bomb at all costs. Speaking of costs, I wouldn't even play this for free. I was excited about this "game" based on critic reviews, and jumped at the humble bundle chance to grab it. What a miserable disappointment. You will be absolutely done and bored mindless within 30 minutes flat, and all I could think of is "but why? this had such a cool concept." And that ladies and gents is exactly what this is....it's basically a proof of concept, or rough sketch of what this title should have been. So I assumed I was overly harsh, despite having a leveled expectation of what i was to experience, and turned my 7 yr old girl onto it, thinking that her patience and creative mind would find redeeming value in it. Nope! About 20 min into it and I got a "daddy, this is really boring." Yes....yes it is.
    What a waste. If games like this are making money then I think i'll fire up visual studio and slam my ass cheeks into the keyboard a couple hundred times, compile it, and then release it to the public. With the money I earn I'll use that to buy an expensive apology for wasting my daughter's life for 30 minutes.
    So in review.....this is not a game....it's is not an "experience" and it's not even visual narcolepsy to knock you out late at night (I tried that too, seriously!)....it's a joke and we're the punchline. You've been warned.
  11. Aug 18, 2013
    Pretentious hipster trash, whoever thought that this game was beautiful has never seen the raw beauty of nature, it has no story-line, no conflict, and was an utter waste of money.
  12. Mar 6, 2013
    It's inaccurate to call Proteus a game it isn't. It's an interactive experience with no goals or objectives and that's fine it's simply about exploring it's beautifully realised retro world set to its soothing musical score. And for what it does, it does well. It's just that it doesn't do a hell of a lot. Had the developers included the ability to interact with the world beyond it'sIt's inaccurate to call Proteus a game it isn't. It's an interactive experience with no goals or objectives and that's fine it's simply about exploring it's beautifully realised retro world set to its soothing musical score. And for what it does, it does well. It's just that it doesn't do a hell of a lot. Had the developers included the ability to interact with the world beyond it's simple movement mechanics, I can't help but think it'd be a more delicious, meaty package. How about adding the ability to build and destroy the world ala Minecraft? Or what about sprinkling in a few secrets to reveal more about this pretty world? Or how about just letting me commit massive-horrible-frogicide on those irritating little things?

I feel uncomfortable giving Proteus any kind of numerical score because for what it is, it's good, but it's a niche product that won't appeal to most, especially those looking for a “game.” So ignore the number the developers have done well realising what they have. I just think that with a few more mechanics and things to do it'd be a more interesting, meaty package.
  13. May 29, 2013
    If you're thinking about buying this at full retail, I really wouldn't. I knew it would be an open ended title where you would just wonder around the place, but it became really boring really quickly because there was nothing to interact with, even something small would have been nice.
    Saying that, the music was soothing, and the landscapes were nice to look at.
    I certainly wouldn't have
    Saying that, the music was soothing, and the landscapes were nice to look at.
    I certainly wouldn't have paid full price for this, and I'm glad I got it in the humble bundle, to me, it's just another pretentious indie art game, or maybe I'm just missing something.
  14. Feb 11, 2013
    I have nothing against art games, I've loved art games before. Proteus is like taking one pretty picture and looking at it from different angles for about two hours. Then the game stops. If it were 1$ it would be appropriately priced.
  15. May 14, 2013
    First off let me say that my low score has nothing to do with the game not having any objectives. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it, and I was not looking for a "game". What the game does, it does well, but my gripe comes from the lack of options and the lack of content.

The Good: This game has a pleasing art style, although at times it begs for a little more depth in the

The Good:
    This game has a pleasing art style, although at times it begs for a little more depth in the details. Still, it doesn't come off as ugly by any means. The sounds is great too and it is fun to chase around certain objects to see how they will react with the sounds they make. Everything has it's own melody, and some objects actually interact with the player although these seem to be limited.

The Bad:
    This would be an amazing title to play when you just want to relax and listen to some ambient style music to get your sense of wonder going. The problem for me is that it is way too limited. Every time I start a new game I get a randomly generated island to explore, but the islands are relatively small and it's always the same stuff just in different locations. Within 10 minutes, I realized that I have pretty much seen everything there is to see in the game so the only reason to keep playing is for the sound and visual.

How it could be improved:
    It is hard to complain too much about games that run ten dollars or cheaper, but even at the light price tag this one just leaves much to be desired. As I stated above, you can literally see everything this game has to offer within a matter of minutes. With a game that has no goals and no penalties, it should really have beefed up the exploration a bit more. The island should be a lot larger and take at least a half hour to go from one side of the shore to the other. Also it could really benefit from having some caves or underwater areas.

Another problem is the game moves at a snail's pace. This is fine for the most part since you'll want to move slow and take in the scenery, but it would have been nice to have some sort of flight option available so you could get some different viewing angles.

The game itself doesn't need change so much as it just needs more substance to give a reason to keep coming back. If you like ambient music and you enjoy exploration this title may be worth looking into, but I can't recommend paying full price for it. Anything over five dollars is just asking too much for the very small amount of content you get.
  16. Sep 12, 2013
    I'll grant that the game works, but it doesn't do at all what a game is supposed to do. The only feeling that was invoked from playing this was boredom. It's got the same problem as Dear Esther, where your only mechanic is to watch stuff and hope for the best. Proteus on the other hand is pixelated in that "I'm trying too hard to be retro" way. The game is about watching nature, butI'll grant that the game works, but it doesn't do at all what a game is supposed to do. The only feeling that was invoked from playing this was boredom. It's got the same problem as Dear Esther, where your only mechanic is to watch stuff and hope for the best. Proteus on the other hand is pixelated in that "I'm trying too hard to be retro" way. The game is about watching nature, but absolutely nothing interesting happens when you're plopped into the world. It's not scripted, and some would praise that, but the way I see it is that there is *nothing* for me to see unless I get lucky. I am not going to waste my time waiting to see the *true* side of proteus when I could be working for real money. I play games mostly to invoke happiness, and this didn't, sorry. Expand
  17. Feb 3, 2013
    Hmm. I dont know if I did not understand this game. Or if it is just not my style. But I consider it waste of my time. After one hour inside I did not find single way how to interact with the world (I dont count chasing the "frogs"). THe graphics has nice style, but there is a little variety to enjoy it for more than few minutes. And music well it somehow reacts to the enviromnent. ButHmm. I dont know if I did not understand this game. Or if it is just not my style. But I consider it waste of my time. After one hour inside I did not find single way how to interact with the world (I dont count chasing the "frogs"). THe graphics has nice style, but there is a little variety to enjoy it for more than few minutes. And music well it somehow reacts to the enviromnent. But not much. It is just an ambient noise. Not some interesting piece. So all put together, it was not worth the money or the time it took to realise I was ripped off by simple tech demo. Expand
  18. Apr 26, 2013
    I was meaning to do a more pithy review, but lost my edge when I saw someone else already called Proteus an "interactive screensaver." I agree, and I do like a lot of "art games." Proteus, though, is extraordinarily slow-paced. It generally left me confused, which would be fine if it were going somewhere, but there didn't appear to be any ultimate "point" or there was, but well beyond theI was meaning to do a more pithy review, but lost my edge when I saw someone else already called Proteus an "interactive screensaver." I agree, and I do like a lot of "art games." Proteus, though, is extraordinarily slow-paced. It generally left me confused, which would be fine if it were going somewhere, but there didn't appear to be any ultimate "point" or there was, but well beyond the very short 20m I gave it. For example, a ring of fireflies formed at one point and made a large pillar appear, which must have released some type of invisible sleeping gas. It was probably the coolest moment of my experience, leaving me thinking "Mm. Okay."

I did try to like the game, but I guess I'm not nearly patient enough, nor interested in a game which doesn't adequately present itself as more than a distraction. Ultimately, I found myself wishing there was no interactivity at all, and that the character would progress by himself while I ate a bowl of ramen noodles. And then I wondered why I don't just eat outside before realizing I had frustration to unload here (and it's 2am!).

It did have soothing graphics (I think "beautiful" is an exaggeration it took me a while to figure out when I arrived at the side of a graveyard [and now I'm doubting my perception], partially because some of the tombstones were swaying). The music was soothing, too kind of reminded me of some of the early music in Rotohex. Proteus is very different, and bold in that originality, but I can't say it was refreshing. (But it is definitely thought-provoking reviews here are particularly polarized)
  19. Apr 26, 2013
    I'm giving it a 1-star review because Proteus is not a game. It's a somewhat interactive piece of art, yes, but it's not a game and no gamer should ever buy it. This piece of software could be displayed somewhere at an exhibition of modern art, but putting it up for sale, and to gamers, is nonsense. Maybe the devs should have tried selling it to some museum or TV channel to display it as aI'm giving it a 1-star review because Proteus is not a game. It's a somewhat interactive piece of art, yes, but it's not a game and no gamer should ever buy it. This piece of software could be displayed somewhere at an exhibition of modern art, but putting it up for sale, and to gamers, is nonsense. Maybe the devs should have tried selling it to some museum or TV channel to display it as a movie or whatever?
    Music is great btw, and the visuals are well, acceptable, i mean the colors are fine but e.g. the Sun is too crude and all this super-pixelation doesn't look nice or even cool. Yes, I got a short-lasted joy when running after a few critters and enjoyed the music, but as a gamer I don't see any entertainment here. For $10 one can get a used Diablo 1 CD and play for days and days.
  20. Feb 8, 2013
    Proteus is a game which invokes emotion, and creativity within us. You may be content with listening to the music at the start screen, or exploring an island of your own, which contains forest, snow-capped mountains, and beauty in every corner. As you explore, you might come upon some playful animals to chase through the woods, or a path leading to something new and amazing. The music ofProteus is a game which invokes emotion, and creativity within us. You may be content with listening to the music at the start screen, or exploring an island of your own, which contains forest, snow-capped mountains, and beauty in every corner. As you explore, you might come upon some playful animals to chase through the woods, or a path leading to something new and amazing. The music of the game alters and changes as you go through different places, and as several events occur. If your eyes are feeling heavy, take a brief rest, and find yourself on an entirely different, enchanted isle. Proteus truly is an amazing thing. Expand
  21. Feb 25, 2013
    Proteus is very beautiful, and very original. That being said, I don't recommend spending money on it. I found that it had no replay value. The first time you play, it's quite magical, and relaxing, and I can understand the appeal, and I can see why this game has received good reviews. But the second play through was so much like the first, that I lost interest rather quickly. Yes, you getProteus is very beautiful, and very original. That being said, I don't recommend spending money on it. I found that it had no replay value. The first time you play, it's quite magical, and relaxing, and I can understand the appeal, and I can see why this game has received good reviews. But the second play through was so much like the first, that I lost interest rather quickly. Yes, you get a different island to explore each time you start, but each island has the same things on it, just laid out differently. There are some cool things that happen, but it's the same cool things every time. If you're really keen to check it out, play your friend's copy. I can't recommend spending even the low price of 10 dollars on a game that only offers an hour or two of original gameplay. The "Interactive sound track" doesn't resemble music. It's more like noise, albeit noise that you have some control over. I could see Proteus being really enthralling for someone on psychedelics, but if that's not your cup of tea, you probably won't play it more than twice. Expand
  22. Apr 1, 2013
    There are those fancy "art" games, like Journey, or Knytt Stories. Then there are games that pretend to be "art," like The Path, or Proteus. These two games are somewhat similar in concept but no matter how much I despise The Path for pretending to be fancy art with deep meaning, it is still ways better than Proteus. At first sight Proteus seems to sport a nice retro pixelized look, butThere are those fancy "art" games, like Journey, or Knytt Stories. Then there are games that pretend to be "art," like The Path, or Proteus. These two games are somewhat similar in concept but no matter how much I despise The Path for pretending to be fancy art with deep meaning, it is still ways better than Proteus. At first sight Proteus seems to sport a nice retro pixelized look, but that is soon disrupted by all the low-polygonal stuff that just does not work with all the big pixelized sprites, most notably the terrain itself. Then there are the points of interest on the island only thing one can do is to check them out. There aren't many of those and (unlike those in The Path) none are really interesting in the first place. So you check the places out, then the night comes, circle of light appears, game shifts into next season. Things change color, and that's about it. You can go check out the places again, but there is no point really. Then again you won't have anything better to do in this "game" so you might as well do so. Then the night comes, next season, and yeah, why even bother. Go get some food from the fridge, take a piss, while games shifts to the next season again. Proteus is ugly, not interesting at all. At a few rare occasions the music is kinda nice, but most of the time its headache-inducing cacophony of bleeps. Mostly it does not feel like a game at all, even next to Dear Esther it does not feel like a game. Damn there is a game called 4 minutes and 33 seconds of Uniqueness (made by the Crayon Physics guy I think) and all you have to do there is to run the game for said time as the only person on Earth and it still felt more like a game than this one does. Expand
  23. Jul 16, 2014
    You can have more fun navigating around in google street view. Go check out the steam reviews for this. 90% of the positive reviews have less than an hour played. If you can't even stand to play the game for more than an hour, why would you give it a good review? I sure wouldn't.
  24. Jul 5, 2013
    Another interactive relaxing experience, and a good one at that. Your movement in the game makes the world alive, and it's exciting to see as seasons change.
  25. May 29, 2013
    I really want to like this game. It has interesting visuals, it's unlike anything I've ever played before, and it's relaxing and ambient. There are subtle goals and puzzles (so to speak), but the game isn't about progress so much as, for lack of a better word, "flow." You meander about your randomly-generated island for quite a while your first time through, until you realize how toI really want to like this game. It has interesting visuals, it's unlike anything I've ever played before, and it's relaxing and ambient. There are subtle goals and puzzles (so to speak), but the game isn't about progress so much as, for lack of a better word, "flow." You meander about your randomly-generated island for quite a while your first time through, until you realize how to (again, I use this word loosely) progress. While you amble, you are subjected to an ever-changing, gorgeous audiovisual landscape that is quite pretty (if a little sparse). You learn how to interact with the world around you, beginning with chasing animals around and culminating with the "solution" to the island's main "puzzle." Once you figure that out, you can explore the island through the seasons; the relaxation of spring, the hot, sometimes blindingly bright summer, the strange (and sometimes outright eerie) fall, and, finally, the sad, delicate sparseness of winter. Each season does have an effect on you, and Proteus is sometimes outright moving. It may not say much directly, but there are some definite themes going on here, and they're quite timely, too. Proteus is certainly an "anti-game," but that's the point; we, as gamers, have become too open to distraction and destruction. In these respects, Proteus succeeds. What it fails at is pure and simple longevity. It takes no more than an hour (two if you really enjoy it) to explore your first island and from there very little changes. Each island looks different, yes, but the themes and elements are all exactly the same. You might go on one or two more playthroughs just to figure out how a few of the more esoteric elements can be interacted with, but that's about the extent of it. It's also far too easy to get incredibly lost, but perhaps that's another theme of Proteus. The ambience would definitely be defeated by a HUD. This game is well worth a look, especially if you're into non-traditional gaming. If not, you ought to avoid this game. My final word on the matter is that this game is a part of the Humble Indie Bundle 8 right now, so long as you beat the median price. I highly suggest looking into this independent developer friendly, charity-boosting organization; you can get this game packed in with other interesting and (typically) more-traditional games on the cheap (or not-so-cheap, if you're feeling generous). That's the way to go for this game; that way, if you hate this game or find it boring, at least your money was still well-spent. Expand
  26. Jun 1, 2013
    Good atmospheric game. And it's all. I can't play this game more than 15 minutes per week. I love that idea, creatures and switching between seasons. This game is must-have if you're stoner.
  27. Jun 25, 2013
    The idea behind Proteus is awesome, but although beautiful and immersive, I feel there is little content to it. I played it for one hour, and felt like I saw everything there was to see. It's calming? Yes. Relaxing for a bad day? Yes. But it could be more, much more. I can't wait for someone to make a in depth game with the same thematic. Proteus is great, but shallow. It would do well asThe idea behind Proteus is awesome, but although beautiful and immersive, I feel there is little content to it. I played it for one hour, and felt like I saw everything there was to see. It's calming? Yes. Relaxing for a bad day? Yes. But it could be more, much more. I can't wait for someone to make a in depth game with the same thematic. Proteus is great, but shallow. It would do well as a flash game. Expand
  28. Jun 12, 2013
    Proteus is a bit odd. You don't shoot people. You don't kill dragons. You don't try to platform. You look at things. Yes. Now, this may seem like crap. But somehow, it isn't. It is more of an experience then a game. There is no real game part. It takes like 30 minutes to beat, but it's randomly generated, so you can replay it. You probably won't though. The mouse movement acceleratesProteus is a bit odd. You don't shoot people. You don't kill dragons. You don't try to platform. You look at things. Yes. Now, this may seem like crap. But somehow, it isn't. It is more of an experience then a game. There is no real game part. It takes like 30 minutes to beat, but it's randomly generated, so you can replay it. You probably won't though. The mouse movement accelerates massively. The music is generated based on the season and where you are. I did enjoy playing it, because it made me happy for some reason. That and the fact that it was less than dirt cheap is why I don't rate it lower. Overall, if you have extra money on steam, buy it. Don't go out of the way for it, though. Expand
  29. Feb 16, 2014
    I'm going to be very blunt about this: there is very little to this game. This may sound odd to hear as my review is a 10, but I'll explain something as short as I can.

This game is meant for people who like wandering around in Minecraft, who like listening to music and observing. If you bough Minecraft purely for building things and don't ever even think of wandering for a few minutes you are wasting your time with this game.

So, this combined with the fact that there is little to the game means that you can go on YouTube and watch about 5 minutes of gameplay. If you don't like it, don't buy it. If you do like it, buy it. And if you aren't sure, watch it more and maybe even buy it. It's only 10 bucks (though people will try to make it seem like that 10 dollars is way too much, but they often are 10-year-olds that have barely any understanding of money).

And, this IS a game. No matter what people say. Just because there are no goals does not make this not a game. Garrys Mod is a game and doesn't have any goals, objectives, or anything like that and I don't see anyone saying that it's not a game. And every video game is an "interactive experience." So, there is my 2 cents on that subject.
  30. Dec 4, 2015
    Proteus
    a pretty walking simulator
    Proteus is an exploration game that takes place on an island. There’s not much to say about this game. You just walk around, that’s it. Every time you start a game the island is different, all you have to do to beat the game is go through all 4 seasons, you go to a new season by waiting for night time and then going to these glowy white orbs, the
    Proteus
    a pretty walking simulator
    Proteus is an exploration game that takes place on an island.
    There’s not much to say about this game.
    You just walk around, that’s it.
    Every time you start a game the island is different, all you have to do to beat the game is go through all 4 seasons, you go to a new season by waiting for night time and then going to these glowy white orbs, the colors and changing seasons are great pieces of eye candy, but only for like 12 seconds
    then your over it
    I found nothing engaging about this game at all beyond my initial introduction and trying to figure it out.
    The randomly generated islands are all solid, so there aren’t caves, or buildings to explore through, just hills to climb over, and musical animals to listen to as they hop around.
    There’s really nothing to explore here, get to the island, look at it for 10 seconds, this is all you need to see, game over.
    I do appreciate the ambient music, and could see the potential of someone going to proteus to just escape to a colorful land, but maybe I’m just saying that to find a positive, because there are games out there with tons more to do that you could get that same experience from like Minecraft.
    There’s nothing to do here but do mundane tasks like walk around the island, or follow the bath from end to end for trophies, that’s about it.
    Not worth exploring.
    There’s nothing to see here
    Proteus isn’t a bad game, it’s just not a good game either... it’s kinda just nothing.
    For what it is
    Exploration game 5.0/10
    overall: 5.0/10
  31. May 14, 2013

The Good:

The Bad:

How it could be improved:

1. Nov 22, 2013
    Proteus is without a doubt not for everyone, because playing in the traditional sense of the word doesn't really happen. It does, however, deliver an enchanting experience through the harmony of images and sounds, which leaves enough room for your own imagination.
  2. Games Master UK
    Apr 13, 2013
    Proteus's ever-changing island is a joy to walk through, listen to and explore. [May 2013, p.84]
  3. Apr 9, 2013
    An independent experiment that has managed to free from the established genres, and out of its graphical and sound simplicity it has formed the experiences you cannot escape from.