8.9

1. Dec 1, 2017
    Psychonauts gets so many things right. Its premise and story, its art style, its humour - all fantastic, and people have talked about these things a million times, so it seems pointless for me to do so. The problem is, I just don't find it very fun. I wanted to like it so much, and over the years I've started the game so many times, but never got further than a few hours in. Today, I'vePsychonauts gets so many things right. Its premise and story, its art style, its humour - all fantastic, and people have talked about these things a million times, so it seems pointless for me to do so. The problem is, I just don't find it very fun. I wanted to like it so much, and over the years I've started the game so many times, but never got further than a few hours in. Today, I've finally pushed through the game, further than I've ever got before, and I've come to accept how I really feel, which is that I don't really like it.

It's hampered by bad level design (in a gameplay sense), stiff controls (yes I'm using a gamepad), a clumsy targeting system, and awkwardly-designed boss fights. Parts of it have just aged poorly, other parts were never very good, and yet some moments are pure genius which just makes the rest of the game all the more disappointing. I would love this game, if it wasn't for the whole "game" part of the game. When people praise Psychonauts, they talk about the characters, the world, the story; most people aren't praising the gameplay, and that's something you should keep in mind if you're new to it. The gameplay itself is, at best, average for a platformer from 2005, and subpar when played today.
  2. Nov 10, 2017
    Great environments, collectibles, platforming, abilities, characters and humor combine to form an amazing adventure. The levels are unique and incredibly creative.

There are several puzzles, and I found myself stuck a few times, but it makes for a good challenge. There are a lot of cutscenes, which can be annoying. A few control difficulties, for example while grinding on rails

There are a lot of cutscenes, which can be annoying.

A few control difficulties, for example while grinding on rails it can be difficult to jump off. Sometimes Raz falls off poles or refuses to grab onto them.

Cost $1, played for 25 hours (collecting all items), will replay every few years for the rest of my life. Highly recommended.
  3. Aug 28, 2017
    uhhhh boy this game didnt age well... I played this game on recommendation as it is supposed to be one of the most funny and creative games ever made, and it is! BUT! The gameplay is very lackluster. The platforming is floaty and imprecise, all the side-missions are basically just collect a bunch of stuff with barely any use and there are loading screens every 5 f-ing feet. Bogging theuhhhh boy this game didnt age well... I played this game on recommendation as it is supposed to be one of the most funny and creative games ever made, and it is! BUT! The gameplay is very lackluster. The platforming is floaty and imprecise, all the side-missions are basically just collect a bunch of stuff with barely any use and there are loading screens every 5 f-ing feet. Bogging the whole experience down and culminating in one of the worst final levels I have ever had to force myself through in a game. Which really is a shame because its creativity is desplayed virtually every second of the game. All of its characters are unique and likeable the dialogue is fresh and funny the settings are original but actually PLAYING the game just feels like a chore after a while. While the game is a steal for 99 cents on steam summer sale i would almost rather suggest watching a lets play of it on youtube to get up to date for the second game which will hopefully have vastly improved controls. Lets stay optimistic! Expand
  4. Aug 15, 2017
    One of the most unique and interesting games I have ever played. The level design is extremely good and it also has interesting characters. It's also an extremely clever game and you can actually learn a thing or two about mental disorders while playing it.
  5. Aug 2, 2017
    Psychonauts is a very charming game and it still holds up.
    The story was weird but charming and unique, it has a lot of dark humor and it works really well.
    The characters were likable, I thought that Raz had a really annoying voice but I do found his character to be enjoyable, the other characters were over the top but really fun and entertaining. The gameplay is fun, it's a
    Psychonauts is a very charming game and it still holds up.

The gameplay is fun, it's a platformer with great level design, there is a great sensation of progression when you unlock a new power and a new area, the worlds you travel in are all unique and look different from each other, my only problem is that the camera can get annoying.

I didn't know what to expect with this game but I'm so glad I gave it a chance, it's unique, it's funny, it has great gameplay and a great story and I highly recommend it.
  6. Jun 21, 2017
    "Inception" the game
    and the BEST GAME DESIGN EVER!
    Incredibly creative classic in which must-play!
    __________________________________________________
  7. Mar 26, 2017
    The most creative and hilarious 3D platformer I've ever played, and I didn't touch it until 10 years after its release! Worth playing if you're a fan of games like Banjo-Kazooie and Ratchet & Clank, or if you're a fan of creepy kid's show humor like Invader Zim.
  8. Dec 5, 2016
    Az első Tim Schafer játék amivel játszottam és azonnal belopta magát a szívembe. Akkoriban ilyen eszméletlenül szórakoztató játékot még nem láttam. Agyak, traumák és pszichedelikus tábor, kell ennél több?
  9. Nov 30, 2016
    My FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, and probably one of the BEST GAMES EVER. Okay, not the best game ever, I'll admit it, but I would like to think it is. The PC controls suck, yes, but if you use an Xbox controller it's no problem. This was never meant to be a PC game anyways, it was designed for consoles, and if you play it with a controller the way it was meant to be played it is an absoluteMy FAVORITE GAME OF ALL TIME, and probably one of the BEST GAMES EVER. Okay, not the best game ever, I'll admit it, but I would like to think it is. The PC controls suck, yes, but if you use an Xbox controller it's no problem. This was never meant to be a PC game anyways, it was designed for consoles, and if you play it with a controller the way it was meant to be played it is an absolute dream. Pretty literally in fact, considering what the game's actually about.

There are a lot of platformers out there which, I'm sure, are mechanically much better than this. By today's standards the physics are wonky, the graphics, which often evoke a very unique modernistic 60s style, are quite dated, but the story? The characters? The worlds, the secrets, the twists? Awesome. Such an excellent well-developed world, full of mystery and intrigue, it all feels like the best cartoon show never made. I'm so glad they're making the sequel because there are a ton of things they touched on in this game which they could only have scratched the surface of back in 2005 - that plus the agony DF went through developing this game (which is recounted in a documentary retrospective on their YouTube channel). And there are so many hidden things in the overworld, lots of conversations and events that keep me coming back from time to time to revisit the characters and their stories - though I'm pretty sure I've seen most if not all of it by now.

I could honestly go on about it for ages, but what could I say that hasn't already been said? Just play it! (P.S. The final level really isn't that hard when taken out of context. It's just a bit of a difficulty spike from the rest of the game. Look up how to do it on YouTube once. I find that after beating it one time it's VERY VERY doable the second time around. It's not even the whole level, it's really only two fifths of the entire level that are hard - the escort mission, and the rising water obstacle course, and both are reasonably easy once you know the way through. If you love the game enough just keep trying. It's not impossible, and the payoff, the completing of this awesomely awesome game and the culmination of its excellent story, is HUGE.)
  10. Oct 20, 2016
    Абсолютный шедевр.
    Сюжет, персонажи, стиль, геймплей, дизайн уровней, графика, атмосфера и т.п. выполнены на твёрдую десятку.
    Одна из лучших игр за всё время.
    Браво,аплодирую стоя!
  11. Sep 19, 2016
    First half of the game is pretty awesome - Engaging story, marvelous voice-acting, lovable characters, good spirited humor, some variation to the 3rd person jumpy in using puzzle solving, etc.

But the entire second half of it is completely ruined by terrible camera angling (especially during second half of the game, where level design is too tight for this style of game), almost non-existent surface snapping (sticking to ropes, or especially jumping onto and grabbing poles), and oh-such a torturous level design - it's like this game was made by a sadist as a gift for a masochist!

Frustrating beyond the tolerance of my nerves.
    Nice try but Stay on Consoles, Psychonauts.
  12. Feb 10, 2016
    This comes very close to being a "perfect game".

Compelling story and characters, very fun and dynamic game and best of it is intelligent and it really left an impression on me - the kind of feeling from reading a worthwhile book, or great movie, or awesome game. One reviewer said that it includes a knowledge of a Masters level of Psychology, and I think that is what makes this game
    This comes very close to being a "perfect game".

One reviewer said that it includes a knowledge of a Masters level of Psychology, and I think that is what makes this game so awesome and unique; it comes from an intelligent background of Psychology and of History.

There is room for customization for your character, and each level is dynamic and unique. The artwork is phenomenal, and the characters (and character work) grow on you. Also it is full of very witty humour along the way.

I suppose the only flaws are that I wish the game was longer, or there was a sequel as there could be a lot more to explore with the world and the characters - although there are 'collect everything' features to this game for those who enjoy the 100% completion.

Definitely a must play for any single-player advocates!
  13. Jan 19, 2016
    Game is amazing whole time playing was pure ecstasy great game #2 will be even better this games combination of humor, storyline , and gameplay simply put orgasmic not much can compare to good ol' psychonauts 10/10
  14. Jan 19, 2016
    Psychonauts is the greatest game of all time, nothing can be compared to it. It's about as good as The Last of Us is bad. Absolutely cannot wait for Psychonauts 2 to come out and finally have a new amazing game on the market
  15. Jan 19, 2016
    Raz has the same voice as Zim from the TV show Invader Zim. That sold me on Psychonauts. Good gameplay etc. etc. the creativity etc. generic praise here.
  16. Jan 15, 2016
    Let's tackle this one thing at a time.First off,the gameplay is very solid.It doesn't reinvent the platformer per se,but it incorporates the main character's psychic powers so well into itself that it feels kinda original.Though,using telekinesis can be a bit inprecise.The art style is pretty cool and very reminiscent of Nightmare before Christmas.The game's main attraction is theLet's tackle this one thing at a time.First off,the gameplay is very solid.It doesn't reinvent the platformer per se,but it incorporates the main character's psychic powers so well into itself that it feels kinda original.Though,using telekinesis can be a bit inprecise.The art style is pretty cool and very reminiscent of Nightmare before Christmas.The game's main attraction is the writing,which is awesome.Every character is memorable and there are some legitimately funny moments(mostly in funny comebacks,not resorting to toilet humour or racism.Much like any joke that you'd see in a Saturday morning cartoon),although the game isn't very emotionally evocative.This game is just here for you to have a good time.That being said,this game is nothing close to simple when it comes to creativity:some levels and some characters will be embedded in your mind for a long time.If I had to name one bigger problem with the game,it'd be the difficulty.It's way too easy throughout most of it,and then at the end it ramps up like hell.However,in the end,this game is good and you should play it. Expand
  17. Nov 27, 2015
    Psychonauts is a masterpiece! Now I usually wouldn't give a game such a high rating however I truly believe that Psychonauts deserves it. This game plays out kind've like a Pixar animation just much much darker. Like be prepared for some dark stuff in this game. The story is top notch and entertaining. The gameplay is great aswell. The characters are all interesting and funny. The music isPsychonauts is a masterpiece! Now I usually wouldn't give a game such a high rating however I truly believe that Psychonauts deserves it. This game plays out kind've like a Pixar animation just much much darker. Like be prepared for some dark stuff in this game. The story is top notch and entertaining. The gameplay is great aswell. The characters are all interesting and funny. The music is amazing! My only complaint with Psychonauts is that the first few hours of the game feel more like a tutorial rather than actual gameplay. But other than that this game is great. I would rate it a 9/10. A must buy! Expand
  18. Jul 24, 2015
    I would say one of top 5 pc games ever created, next to NOLF1, Dues Ex1, Grim Fandango, Diablo 2.

It's a dirty filthy whore near the end, but just keep trying! Most people drop out at meat circus, so test your old school skills to the max! Difficulty is beyond insane, be warned. Good Luck young brainless campers!
  19. Jun 27, 2015
    Everyone should go buy this game right now.
    Seriously. It's on Xbox Live, PSN(America only), and Steam for just $9.99. It's a very under-looked game that needs more attention.
    GO NOW. PLAY IT.
  20. May 29, 2015
    Easily one of the best platformer games, in Psychonauts you play as Raz, a boy that has unique psychic powers and wants to become a Psychonaut (something like a super hero). In order to do that, he has gone to a training camp. This game excels in story telling, humour and the overall complexity. You can walk around the camp and talk to all children, you will be visiting people's minds toEasily one of the best platformer games, in Psychonauts you play as Raz, a boy that has unique psychic powers and wants to become a Psychonaut (something like a super hero). In order to do that, he has gone to a training camp. This game excels in story telling, humour and the overall complexity. You can walk around the camp and talk to all children, you will be visiting people's minds to solve their problems and take part in uncovering the huge conspiracy that's happening in the world.

The platforming in this game is simply brilliant and level feels completely different and is filled with unique ideas. Just to give you an example, you'll visit a level that is basically a large cube, as the person whose mind you're going to visit is an organized one.

Combat is fun as well and there are a lot of things to collect in this game if you are a fan of that. You'll be acquiring new powers and abilities as you go, making you a better and better fighter. The game is pretty long, the art style is great, the story and characters are simply phenomenal, all the levels are unique and varied and the game never stops to be great fun. if you haven't played this game yet and you like platformers, this is your dream come true.

I didn't gave this game a 10 because of the following reasons:
    - No sequel even though the ending suggests continuation
    - Some portions can be quite annoying (such as the bull level, good luck finding everything there)
    - The bosses are too easy
    - The controls are not always precise
  21. Mar 17, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember seeing this advertised a bit as a kid in the year 2005. Seemed pretty popular, but never got to play it myself. However, recently Steam had one of those NSFW (Not Safe For Wallet) Sales going on over Thanksgiving Weekend and I saw this in the list of games with discounts. So I bought it along with a bunch of other games I may never get to play any time soon. I would just like to share some of the experiences I had playing it.

You play as Rasputin (or just Raz for short), a 10 year old boy with psychic powers who runs away from home to avoid his father's prejudiced attitude towards psychics. He ventures into Whispering Rock Summer Camp to learn how to become a Psychonaut. Psychonauts are a group of individuals capable of using psychic powers and do so for the greater good (i.e. super heroes). Now they don't quite accept Raz at first, but they see he has incredible potential as they can't even read his mind even with their combined efforts. Thus Raz begins to learn how to utilize his psychic abilities.

Now this game is more of an adventure type of game with some puzzles involved. You enter people's heads and make your way through their subconscious, their memories, and all of their thoughts. The gameplay itself was nicely done, but the best part of the game is what you see. I saw the thoughts of a man who dreamt of being in the military, so his mind reflected a battlefield with tanks, planes, bombs, land mines, and ...rabbits? Whatever. You can see some of the more personal thoughts by unlocking vaults. It is revealed that even though this man dreamt of being a 5 star general, he never became one because he never got into the military. He was rejected due to being too short.

I saw many other things in other people's heads and noticed how it affected their behavior. For example, this one person was a simple night guard, but what was really off about him was his constant muttering and the strange drawings surrounding him. He seemed to be trying to connect clues and hints to answer one question: "Who is the Milkman?" The level representing his thoughts consisted of TONS of private investigators looking for something (or someone) and objects that followed you everywhere! This place made me very paranoid and some locations I couldn't enter without the right "disguise." These disguises were literally just items. No clothing, just items. Apparently holding a plunger makes you look like a "Sewer Maintenance Worker" to these identical and ubiquitous investigators. Also running around were these little innocent looking girls selling cookies. Some of them could be found whispering into bushes, trash cans, and dog houses as if they were talking to someone. They just looked crazy to me.

But then it all began to make sense after viewing one of the vaults. A person who looked exactly like the night guard was seen in the vault lighting a bottle of milk and using it as a Molotov Cocktail Explosive! It suddenly dawned on me that the man whose mind I occupied IS the Milkman! The investigators represented his mind searching for the conspirator and the little girls symbolized his innocence and ignorance for this man was blissfully unaware that he had done such things. Once everything had been fixed and settled, I left and the night guard seemed more stable. He still lit the building on fire, but at least he found out who he was.

This may seem like a pointless thing, but get this: things like this can apply to reality. Granted, we cannot venture into the minds of other people physically, but through therapy (also known as "communicating") we can find out a person's mental issues and fix them. Anyone who is mentally sick is genuinely sick and curable! We don't just let them destroy themselves.

But that epiphany aside, this game was amazing. The characters are memorable, the gameplay was smooth, the levels were well designed, the difficulty didn't spike too high or fall too short of expectations, and not once did I think "When does this end?" in a negative way. I really didn't want it to end. I felt like I only explored just a few of the minds. Maybe a sequel or spiritual successor of this game will be made.
  22. Dec 2, 2014
    Psychonauts does what few games can manage to do, have a good story, great comedy, and fun game play. This game is a diamond in the rough that everyone should play.
  23. Nov 15, 2014
    Easily one of my five favourite games. Psychonauts is genuinely funny, remembering that idiosyncratic characters have always been key to good comedy. I was also impressed by the big themes that the game tackled: mental illness, child-parent relationships and trauma being among them. For all this Psychonauts is never heavy-handed or frivolous in its treatment of these concerns.

The

The gameplay is incredibly solid, keeping enough variation to keep the audience engaged. Each level offers different challenges and objectives, never lingering too long at a certain point, but without straying from core mechanics. I wouldn't say it's perfect, and it times the 'collect-a-thon' elements are a bit tiresome, but aside from this Psychonauts is a game of incredible merit and creativity.
  24. Aug 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Psychonauts is a big game for such a small team. Most of the time the gameplay is engaging and fun, and the storyline has a kind of whimsy to it that I miss from my childhood days of gaming. Still, there are hiccups to the gameplay - places where it's no longer fun, but a slog. Notable mentions include the Lungfish level, the Bonaparte level, and a few boss battles which are devastatingly boring. These are matched by some utterly brilliant levels including the arduous but curious Milkman level, as well as one of my favorite levels ever: Black Velvetopia. A good mix, and overall a great game, especially considering you can pick it up for the price of a couple of tacos these days. Expand
  25. Jul 5, 2014
    Aside from a few poorly explained controls this was a really fun and original game. The plot is strange, the dialogue is humorous, and the levels each offer something new and different from one another. Unfortunately, the cutscenes are low res, but for a game from 2005 that's to be expected.
  26. Apr 20, 2014
    Psychonauts is one the best games I have ever Played because it is fully original, it is just plain fun and so much more. If one of your friends says it is a bad game don't listen to them!
  27. Mar 1, 2014
    The story and level design certainly are original, and it was fun to play. However, wonky controls and sometimes horrendous camera control bring the score down a couple notches. 20 hours of game play make it definitely worth the money though.
  28. Feb 6, 2014
    I throw 10s around more often than I should to boost a rating of a game I really consider a 9.5 or 9.7 maybe, but there are very few games I consider perfect. This is one of them.

The levels are mental, quite literally, the dialogue is perfectly written and well delivered, the gameplay is fun and the concept is unique. The art style, even, was like anything before it.
  29. Dec 29, 2013
    The writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land ofThe writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land of Mr. Johnny Testosterone Space Marine and Mrs. Sassy Action Chick.
    The gameplay is intresting, but it has it’s flaws (they might be forgivable), the psychic powers are awesome and the boss fights really require skill, every boss has it’s own weak spot, you have to deduce it by watching it’s attacks. On the other hand the camera can be a little female dog some times. The combat outside the boss fights is kind of meh. The difficulty curve is a little bit messed up, there were sequences near the end that almost made break my keyboard. However I never stopped playing it, because I really wanted to see the ending, and I haven’t left disappointed.
    The ending promised a sequel and I really hope to see the day when Psychonauts 2 will be released!
  30. Nov 23, 2013
    Just started a metacritic account so thought I'd jot a quick word about one of my all time favourites games: Psychonauts. Funny, artistic and lovable. The fact that this games makes use of innovative platform mechanics can help but come second to the fact that the characters and comedic writing is so captivating. We love it.
  31. Aug 12, 2013
    I did not finish the game due to the bad controls playing via PC. I think the programmer were overextended with the 3D settings Besides that, the graphics were mediocre, Story and sound were ok.
  32. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. probably the most original game ever, psychonauts was one of my favorites growing up. i got it on steam and all i can say is, i understand why i liked it so much. you play as a kid named raz, short for razputin, a kid who has phychic abilities. so you naturally run away from your home (the circus) and sneak in the camp. after a funny intro sequence, you can explore the overworld. there's not much in it yet, but it's fun to collect arrowheads, the games currency, in between levels. you soon discover where the levels take place, in peoples minds. after you beat the first level named "basic braining" you can explore the whole camp. you soon get invited to special training by psychonaut sasha nein. so after you go to his training facility you get in his mind and unlock psi blasts. the next levels have you going in your own mind, having to leave the the level twice to unlock powerups to progress. eventually your love interest lilli gets abducted by a lake monster called a lungfish. after a meh boss you go in it's mind where you are a godzilla monster named goggalor with one objective, destroy everything. you soon befriend the lungfish (her name's linda) and she takes you to an insane asylum conveniently placed near the camp where all you have to collect your fellow camper's brains. the minds you go through consist of a level where you try to solve a mystery and find out who the milkman is, a theater, a risk style board game featuring fred and napolean bonaparte, and my favorite, black velvetopia, a place that has you joining wrestling matches to build a tower of cards and fight a bull. once you climb up to the end of the asylum, you meet sheegor, who is voiced by tara strong also, raz is voiced by the person who was invader zim). you soon fight your corrupted camp leader's brain in a "brain tank". but once you win, the tank pours out sneezing powder that causes you to sneeze your brain out. you then launch your brain in the tank and your minds collide, causing the next and final level to be a mix between both your minds. this level is also notoriously hard and honestly, i don't see why. even as a kid i beat it without dieing once. after that you fight the last boss, but not before you unlock your super form. while this boss is easy, it's epic. then the game is over. Expand
  33. Aug 1, 2013
    Easily my favorite game. The story and characters are awesome. The gameplay and voice-acting are top notch. The soundtrack is AMAZING. Wish I could rate it higher Still waiting on that sequel Double Fine; will pre-order it, hands down.
  34. Jul 28, 2013
    The gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up ourThe gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up our character by using psycards and mental cowebbs in weird machines.

What makes this game shine above others, besides the sense of humour, is its level design. Each level is a crazy world on its own and they range from a Godzilla-sentai level to a meat-filled circus and, my favourite, a Waterloo-battle game board. In this level, we go from the traditional board perspective requiring to move pieces [with our psychic powers] to actually being inside the board world as if it were a regular a level and we keep going between these two "dimensions" of gameplay.

There are some issues with the default controls, especially if you are using the keyboard-and-mouse combination but, fortunately, we can customize almost everything and even the camera pitch, which is extremely important for me since I prefer the inverted vertical control.

Graphically, the game looks vibrant and the engine handles things well. It is a pleasure to look at the characters and levels because they have been cleverly designed with a lot of "personality".

Psychonauts is a platformer like many others but its heart does not lie in its platforming roots but in its "psychoticness".

Funny story, crazy characters and witty level designs make it a must-play

Give it a try!

Gameplay: 9

Art: 10

///------TOTAL: 9 [rounded]------///
  35. Jul 19, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. AnOne of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. An absolute masterpiece of its genre. Expand
  36. AWG
    Jun 29, 2013
    What is this game supposed to be? A platformer, an adventure, what? I couldn't tell. Psychonauts tries way too much to be funny and clever but it's just chaotic. Gameplay could be good but the number of useless, interrupting, irritating cutscenes is over 9000. Never again.
  37. Jun 24, 2013
    I like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and aI like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and a must play game. Expand
  38. Jun 3, 2013
    I love Psychonauts it is the best game I have ever played. The funniest level was the Milkman Conspiracy. And my favourite level was Lungfishopolis. It is so amazing and imaginative.

You should check it out too.
    (Louisa Sweeney London, Aged, 7).
  39. Mar 8, 2013
    The most unappreciated game of our generation. This game is a perfect example of what makes games fun. This game made me feel the way I did as a kid first discovering games. Genius humor and level creation. I have never laughed harder or been more surprised by plot twists. I cannot recommend this game enough. I have set this game as a benchmark for every game I play from then on andThe most unappreciated game of our generation. This game is a perfect example of what makes games fun. This game made me feel the way I did as a kid first discovering games. Genius humor and level creation. I have never laughed harder or been more surprised by plot twists. I cannot recommend this game enough. I have set this game as a benchmark for every game I play from then on and they all fall short. Long live the Milk Man. Expand
  40. Dec 30, 2012
    Psychonauts tries very hard to be wacky and funny, but I didn't find it engaging. The gameplay was mediocre, with control issues and lots of tedious collectibles, and I didn't care for any of the characters. I know others have raved about this game, but it's hit and miss, and it missed the mark for me.
  41. Dec 26, 2012
    Psychonauts is an unforgettable experience. Its humor and art style is superb, and when everyone who plays it says that it's amazing and underrated, they're telling the truth. It feels like a cartoon/movie that you want to watch over and over again. The characters are likable, especially the main character, Rasputin. In fact, every character has voice acting, which was very impressive forPsychonauts is an unforgettable experience. Its humor and art style is superb, and when everyone who plays it says that it's amazing and underrated, they're telling the truth. It feels like a cartoon/movie that you want to watch over and over again. The characters are likable, especially the main character, Rasputin. In fact, every character has voice acting, which was very impressive for a platformer like Psychonauts. The gameplay is entertaining, the only downfall being some odd controls. You can move around just fine, and fighting is quite fun, but switching between psychic powers can feel a bit odd. The graphics are very stylized and look quite nice, even if they are currently outdated. You'll come across glitches every once and a while, but all the problems Psychonauts have are forgivable. The charm it has is borderline excessive, and even though I only really finished the game a year or so ago, I feel overwhelming nostalgia for it. The game really dos a good job of entertaining and bringing back that childhood wonder you may have once had for games. The MAIN drawback is that this game will, most likely, have no sequel. But it's cheap, so buy it for yourself, and any friends who may want it too. Expand
  42. Dec 13, 2012
    Terrible graphics and disgusting design, makes this one of the ugliest game I have ever played.
    The controls are bad and lack preciseness. The game-play is repetitive with too much focus on collecting random stuff.
    It's just a bad platformer, with little redeeming qualities.
  43. Nov 23, 2012
    I originally played this back on the original Xbox and it remains one of my favorite games of all time. The storyline and art style of Psychonauts just oozes with originality and the characters are some of the most memorable ever to appear in a game title.

As a platformer, this is a pretty standard Mario style
  44. Nov 7, 2012
    Everyone's right about this game. Yes, the concept and art is outstanding and exciting. Yes, the game has a lot of funny gameplay balanced between adventure-like exploration, puzzles and platforming action. I'd say the game is 23% exploration, 15% logical problems (how to beat boss, how to solve a situation and progress), 32% platforming, and 30% action. Personally I'd like more focus onEveryone's right about this game. Yes, the concept and art is outstanding and exciting. Yes, the game has a lot of funny gameplay balanced between adventure-like exploration, puzzles and platforming action. I'd say the game is 23% exploration, 15% logical problems (how to beat boss, how to solve a situation and progress), 32% platforming, and 30% action. Personally I'd like more focus on adventure and puzzle parts less on action, and a more forgiving approach to the platforming. I'd also expect more of the fun writing spread into the actual gameplay sections rather than cutscenes. Most of the time, you'll play it like any other 3d platformer and the cutscenes are where all the dialogue and writing have been put. It's a good game, and six out of ten is above average. It's just not a brilliant GAME as such, more like an above average action platformer presented and packaged in a brilliant concept and design. I highly recommend you to check it out, but more for the concept ideas than for the actual gameplay. Plus, only a small amount of people make it through the last level, so if you want to get the full experience, you might be disappointed and might have to watch the ending on Youtube (like I did). The current User Score is 9.2/10, which means something like "close to perfect masterpiece". I think it's a 8/10 at most, and a 6/10 if you want to really just see it for what it is rather than what it looks like. Expand
  45. Oct 1, 2012
    Imaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blendImaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blend together in a most fitting way. There are so many lovable characters in this game, and each has something unique of their own. You get to get into the minds of various folks during the game, and each has a special vision in their brains. The story is fantastic, and geniuanly forces you to keep going. So much creativity and originality is here, I can't recommend it enough. If you like games that aren't conventional, or games that break the mold, this one is like no other. It aged very well, graphically, so you won't have a problem playing it today. A videogame masterpiece. Expand
  46. Sep 28, 2012
    Psychonauts is definitely worth a 9/10. My vote goes for the controls.You will come to a point in the game where a pad is necessary for progress and not everyone has one available.
  47. Sep 26, 2012
    Best game I ever played! The characters are fantastic, the plot is crazy as the level disegn... A strange and funny travel in the maze of our minds. Is Tim Schafer a genius? Maybe... but this game is really perfect in every aspect. Congratulations to all the team that worked in this beautiful piece of art.
    Please, don't miss this masterpiece of irony and level design!
  48. Aug 25, 2012
    Very fun game and story with a great story all up to the point where you need to get the item to clean up spider webs from peoples minds. The fact that you had to get such a ridiculous amount of arrow heads just killed the game for me and that's where I stopped playing.
  49. Aug 8, 2012
    Pleasantly satisfying gameplay is combined with beautiful environments, outstanding humor and an interesting and developed story to make Psychonauts a must have for gamepad owners! The memorable adventure at 30 hours completion with 100% achievements on Steam makes Psychonauts quite the bang for your buck.
  50. Jul 23, 2012
    It's a good game! I personally wouldn't play it for hours upon hours every day, but it's got a GREAT Story. You go into other people's minds, trying to become a Psychonaut. You are basically at a camp, and there are also bullies who do appear quite often in the story, and you also befriend a few people! I'd recommend it if you're up for a good story, but if you're one of those people whoIt's a good game! I personally wouldn't play it for hours upon hours every day, but it's got a GREAT Story. You go into other people's minds, trying to become a Psychonaut. You are basically at a camp, and there are also bullies who do appear quite often in the story, and you also befriend a few people! I'd recommend it if you're up for a good story, but if you're one of those people who only likes shooters...don't get it. Expand
  51. Jul 22, 2012
    Bestes Jumpn Run Game das ich kenne !!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  52. Jul 21, 2012
    Psychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up forPsychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up for small-ish game play problems, at least for me. If you've never played it, do it now! Expand
  53. Jul 17, 2012
    Just purchased this game for next to nothing on Steam and played through the first 'mission.' I almost wish I'd paid more! It's such good fun, the creators really do deserve credit for this. It looks so sharp and fresh even though it's 7 years old, voice acting is very good and the script is funny too. A lighthearted and enjoyable game, just what you need when you have to have a break fromJust purchased this game for next to nothing on Steam and played through the first 'mission.' I almost wish I'd paid more! It's such good fun, the creators really do deserve credit for this. It looks so sharp and fresh even though it's 7 years old, voice acting is very good and the script is funny too. A lighthearted and enjoyable game, just what you need when you have to have a break from killing orcs or bringing down the combine :) It's a 10/10 for it's genre, but rating it 9 because I think that only games like Bioshock and Half Life 2 really deserve full marks... Nonetheless, a happy game that I know I'll keep coming back to. Expand
  54. Jul 11, 2012
    In my latest obsession with indie games, this is the best one I've played so far. The concept of going into people's minds and gaining clues, sorting their emotional baggage, and just looking around in the "world as they see it" is fun and interesting (as well as creative). One of the levels is the mind of a mutated lungfish; it doesn't get much more creative than that! It's much easierIn my latest obsession with indie games, this is the best one I've played so far. The concept of going into people's minds and gaining clues, sorting their emotional baggage, and just looking around in the "world as they see it" is fun and interesting (as well as creative). One of the levels is the mind of a mutated lungfish; it doesn't get much more creative than that! It's much easier to play with a controller than the keyboard, but there really aren't any problems with the keyboard, either. The camera angles are a little strange and takes some getting used to (especially in the last level), but there are more positives than negatives with this game. The cut-scenes range from curious to hilarious, and though it feels short before the main plot is revealed, you still get to know a good amount of the characters. Some parts require thinking, and the last level really takes patience, but it's just the sort of game that you can play over and over again. Expand
  55. Jun 26, 2012
    Psychonauts is a good game, and like many good things, it is extremely overrated. This is not a revolutionary game, nor is it a must have. It's not even "great". There are some great elements in it, like the story, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the level ideas, the humor, which are all clearly brilliant and inspired. In fact, it's amazing and better than most games. Where the game fallsPsychonauts is a good game, and like many good things, it is extremely overrated. This is not a revolutionary game, nor is it a must have. It's not even "great". There are some great elements in it, like the story, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the level ideas, the humor, which are all clearly brilliant and inspired. In fact, it's amazing and better than most games. Where the game falls short is the actual gameplay. For a 3D platformer, the game is far from fun to play. The levels are sometimes long, and not very exciting, and the main excitement is walking around trying to figure out what to do next, without much in the way of action. It's great but not really made by someone who understands video games, but still an intelligent game. Expand
  56. R-Q
    Jun 12, 2012
    Up to date, this is the best platform game I ever played. Maybe not in terms of gameplay - there are some performing as well - for example Rayman 3, Kao the Kangaroo or various console platformers. But visual aspect of Psychonauts, themes and motifs make this game a piece of modern art. I highly recommend this inspiration for "Inception" movie.
  57. Jun 1, 2012
    Extremely impressive game, was amazed at how well the graphics look considering it's essentially a ps2 port. Biggest issue with the game is the menu navigation, which are pretty much on par with skinning a bear with a carrot. 9.6 rounds to 10.
  58. May 29, 2012
    Psychonauts was one of the best games of the new millenium decade. It makes it right up there on my top 5 games of all time list. In the way of Art Design, the game is incredibly stylized with no two NPC's looking alike. The writing that went into these NPC's is also fantastic, making each character memorable and unique. Voice acting was great, but a few more lines were needed, as I foundPsychonauts was one of the best games of the new millenium decade. It makes it right up there on my top 5 games of all time list. In the way of Art Design, the game is incredibly stylized with no two NPC's looking alike. The writing that went into these NPC's is also fantastic, making each character memorable and unique. Voice acting was great, but a few more lines were needed, as I found characters repeating lines too often. Controls are smooth, but the terrain can trap you into a slide move when you landed there by accident. The game is largely a 3rd Person Platformer with puzzles and combat done through the various psychic powers you get during the game. On my first playthrough, I had trouble with something that should never happen in a video game. When you go to a store, the merchandise should be an optional item you buy, not required to progress. It turns out you NEED to buy an item, and it just so happens to be the most expensive item in the shop. You have to KNOW to save up your currency. The setting for the game is a summer camp for psychics as an overworld, and the main levels of the game are inside people's minds. For example, there is a mind that looks like a war zone, a mind that looks like a theater, and a mind that looks like a board game. The difficulty curve of the puzzles dramatically increases at one point of the game to where it becomes a 90 degree angle. Some of the platforming gets difficult later on in the game as well, and if you aren't experienced, you will die. A LOT. But these faults are dramatically overshadowed buy the good, which is the writing which is legitimately funny, the voice acting, the art, and something that is rarely seen. The gameplay is actually FUN. So many games out there just aren't FUN anymore. They try to convince you otherwise with multiplayer or a good story, but if the gameplay is bad, then we're only fooling ourselves. I know I focussed more on the bad than the good in this review, but in a review, I need to say what went wrong so if a sequel is ever made, it will be done right. I do want a sequel, seeing as the story ends on a cliffhanger, and I would love to see what other ideas there are for the inside of minds. I want to see the mind of a gamer, the mind of a professor, the mind of a computer technician, or heck, the mind of an Amish person could be hilarious and imaginative. But like I said, this game makes it on my top 5 list easily, and it's definitely worth your money and with a campaign that is about 4 hours for a $10 game, it surely worth your time. Expand
  59. May 3, 2012
    Great game. Lots of fun moments, humor and challenges. You have to be careful not to blaze through the main challenges in the game and take some time in between each person's mind/level to explore the camp and interact with all the characters. The achievements for this game are a lot of fun but can be very frustrating when tracking down those last few figments.

Works wonderfully with an

Works wonderfully with an XBox360 game pad.
  60. Apr 5, 2012
    Certainly doesn't have amazing graphics but it does have a good art style. The gameplay is... a bit bland and clunky. I can't give this more than a 8, it's just not that well. Fun.
  61. Mar 12, 2012
    A great game with a fun graphic style and great sound to go with it not to mention the gameplay that is interesting and unique. The UI is also in the cartoon style and it sometimes is a bit awkward to use but why would the game have the UI any different from it's art style? Lotsa collectibles and fun storyline.
  62. Mar 6, 2012
    Positives: It's certainly original, which is nice to see these days (+3)
    It runs fine on my PC with no noticeable defects (+1)
    It's good to see more titles from independent developers (+1) As far as I can tell, the game is quite expensive, and power-ups are awarded in due course (+2) POSITIVE TOTAL: +7 Neutral: The Art style isn't to my liking, but it isn't bad. It's kind of cheesy, but
    Positives: It's certainly original, which is nice to see these days (+3)
    It runs fine on my PC with no noticeable defects (+1)
    It's good to see more titles from independent developers (+1)
    POSITIVE TOTAL: +7

Neutral:
    The Art style isn't to my liking, but it isn't bad.
    It's kind of cheesy, but that's not a good or bad thing.

Negatives:
    Bad Camera Control, which is a very bad thing for a 3D platformer (-3)
    Annoying amount of foreseeable backtracking, though I've only managed to play 94 minutes before giving up (-2)
    The powerups are given out too slowly (-1)
    The 'humor' is absolutely awful (-2)
    EXTREMELY REPETITIVE, which is another major flaw for a platformer (-3)
    Character voices are very grating (-1)
    I'd like to go on, but I fear I've generated enough infamy by now.
    NEGATIVE SCORE: -12

TOTAL SCORE: < -5
    Having a total score of less than -5 puts it quite a bit below average, but it does have its good points, so it doesn't deserve a 0. Since I didn't pay full price (sales) i can deign to give it a lowly 2.

How anyone can find this game entertaining is beyond me, and if anyone wishes to provide me with a counter-argument, be my guest. It is currently the only game in my steam library (of over 110 games) that I have uninstalled.
  63. Feb 21, 2012
    As a nostalgic thrill I decided to play this game again, not remembering the great humor fun combat and creative story I loved this game. The incredible mind of Tim Shaefer is yet to disappoint me.
  64. Feb 10, 2012
    One of the best platformers out there, if not the best. No review is needed, just take my hearty recommendation and buy this game. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.
  65. Feb 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my 3D gaming life, I only have three 10/10 games. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and Psychonauts. Apart from being one of the most humorous games you will ever play, it is the sheer joy of the surroundings, music and dialogue, that will keep you coming back again and again.

The art style is perfect for the action adventure genre, and it has the settings for higher end graphics cards that will turn the game into a visual masterpiece. I remember playing this with a medium strength Radeon 9800SE, and then trying again with a GeForce 9800GT at Full-HD with all eye-candy enabled... It was incredible to behold.

Not to give too much away, but the final stage of the story was not thoroughly play-tested, and has some issues with camera positioning, visibility and difficulty level. In fact, the Meat Circus level is so much harder than all levels that came before it, you may well consider it impossible to complete.

Be patient, and keep trying, as the reward of completing this game, is well worth the effort (and multiple deaths incurred). Once completed, you can play this game many more times, and just walk around listening to interesting and humorous chatter among the other characters.

This game is a true classic, and was shamefully overlooked on original release. This game is still available for original XBOX, Playstation 2 and PC (via GOG.COM or Steam), so do yourself a favour and reserve a good few weeks to fully appreciate (what I consider to be) a milestone in adventure gaming.

66. Feb 9, 2012
    How many times have I passed this game? Million! And every time I passed this game with pleasure! A wonderful game... Suitable for gameplay characters, original graphics, great story... Excellent, just excellent!
  67. Feb 8, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. It starts off slowly but by the third 'stage' the game is just incredibly fun and creative. There are more than few annoying, whining kids in the very beginning of the game but they quickly vanish. Most of the later stages are extremely fun and memorable.
  68. Dec 24, 2011
    Craziest game I ever played. At first it looked like Metroid in 3d, with exploration, collecting powers and more exploration in newly available areas. But game is much more, for example undersea pursuit - I didn't see such race in games at all. So if you don't afraid to play in non standard game with very non standard graphics - when you will enjoy this game.
  69. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is my favourite game in the whole universe. It is so good, filled with humor and exciting stuff to do. I swear the money spent on this game will not be a waste, it's a Tim Schafer classic and it's gorgeous from beginning to end.
  70. Dec 13, 2011
    This 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final levelThis 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final level kept me from absolutely loving it. Expand
  71. Dec 7, 2011
    This is one of those games that people either love or hate. Where you fall depends on whether you care more about somewhat lacking controls or about a creative, unique story and quirky characters. Psychonauts may have below average gameplay, but they are never game-breaking and, at least for me, the story and environments keep me immersed and laughing throughout the entire game. The storyThis is one of those games that people either love or hate. Where you fall depends on whether you care more about somewhat lacking controls or about a creative, unique story and quirky characters. Psychonauts may have below average gameplay, but they are never game-breaking and, at least for me, the story and environments keep me immersed and laughing throughout the entire game. The story is also genuinely funny. The music is nothing special in most cases and at time, some of them can get annoying. The bottom line is: if you want an adventure that will stay with you, long after you stopped playing and you can get over the less-then-perfect controls, $10 is a steal for Psychonauts. Expand
  72. Nov 11, 2011
    A below-average 3D platformer with great atmosphere, art style, plot, characters and right about everything else. There is literally no reason for anyone not to buy this game, especially for the low price it's being sold for these days. Don't be afraid of paying the required 10$, for I can assure you it'll be worth it.
  73. Oct 14, 2011
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. This is what a platformer should be. It is one of the most original and fun games I have ever played. If you're a fan of platformers, you should buy psychonauts right now. My only real complaint is that the camera angle can sometimes screw you up at ONE point in the game, but that's it. When that's the only discernable flaw that a game has, it deserves a 10.
  74. Oct 10, 2011
    One of the most creative and fun games ever created! Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game. The character dialogue is compelling and humorous and the storyline is epically strange.
  75. Oct 1, 2011
    First of all: Get this game. Really. If you're even remotely interested in either adventure or platform genre, get this game. Here's why Psychonauts gets a (almost) perfect 10 from my account.

I love games that delve into the psyche of one another, and Psychonauts does so in a very clear and fun way. Possibly inspired by Being John Malcovic you simply place a door on someones head and then you can step right in. Each character you enter has his or own -mostly traumatic- issues you get to deal with, causing each level to be completely different in terms of style and goal. So instead of your typical "go and fetch me a shrubbery" type of quest it's more like "jump inside and put my mind straight"

This game has what I think is the Tim Schafer signature in terms of dialogue, humor and originality. Meaning you get the same feeling when playing the first Monkey Island or Sam and Max games, or Day of The Tentacle. Yet it's not a point and click adventure game, since you're running around in a 3D environment playing all kinds of acrobatic stunts (after all, you were raised as an acrobat). Psychonauts combines my two favourite genres, adventure and (3D) platforming, adding a compelling and original storyline and interesting, divers characters. There's a big gaming world for you to explore, and you'll never guess (right) what's coming next. The voicecasting is awesome imho, and graphically this game does not let down in any way. I do have to admit one thing though: I have never finished it. The very last level was just too hard for me, and I got frustrated every time. I believe it also had to do with some weird camera angles at that point which didn't work out for me. Nevertheless I didn't find that reason enough to rate this game any lower than 10. It's just that much fun.

So now that it's ont steam I'll be buying this gem again. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get to finish it this time..
  76. Sep 14, 2011
    Outside of the tediousness of collecting the outlandish number of collectibles, Psychonauts is one of the most overlooked platforming gems to have ever been made. The art and general look of this game is very reminiscent of a Henry Selick film right down to the characters having exaggerated legs, arms and defining features. It's just a shame that there won't be a Psychonaut 2 in the future.
  77. May 27, 2011
    While the controls are in need of improvement on the PC, the game itself is a wonder to behold. With a very innovative world and combat system, the game continues to be a high point in the world of 3D platformers. With a few small adjustments to the camera, this game could be one of the best games of all time.
  78. Mar 21, 2011
    This was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born inThis was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born in 89 and have been playing video games my entire life and in MASSIVE quantities. I saw more creativity and unique game play mechanics in single levels of Psychonauts than I had seen in entire other games that I previously praised as being unique or creative. For me games, if good, are generally pretty fun and at least entertaining. Everything about this game was so much fun and fun might actually be the best word to describe this game. Isn't that what games are supposed to be after all?

If I was going to give this a game a very honest review it would probably get an 8.0 losing points for some camera angle/mechanic issues that are common with mediocre PC ports. I can't speak for how it was on consoles. I can't do that though because I simply loved this game too much and it still remains my favorite game of all time. Te good aspects of the game just obliterate any negative points I would even consider giving it.
  79. Nov 3, 2010
    Psychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The mainPsychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The main character Raz resembles a classic child hero who must rise up out of an oppressive upbringing to fight the evil madman who wants nothing else but to take over the world. Unlike most games which start with a dull tutorial that simply teaches basic keyboard commands Psychonauts offered a chance to develop some of the plot before even starting the tutorial through interactions with minor characters. During the tutorial, which was named â Expand
  80. Aug 20, 2010
    If you have played Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fadingo, or Full Throttle you will be overcome with feelings of nostalgia when playing Psychonauts. The story, how the characters are presented, and puzzles in the game all share similarities to these other games developed by Tim Schafer. I loved those games so I wanted to love Psychonauts but I just couldn't. There are so many creativeIf you have played Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fadingo, or Full Throttle you will be overcome with feelings of nostalgia when playing Psychonauts. The story, how the characters are presented, and puzzles in the game all share similarities to these other games developed by Tim Schafer. I loved those games so I wanted to love Psychonauts but I just couldn't. There are so many creative environments and interesting level ideas woven into the story but almost every chapter of the game overstays its welcome or leans on one gameplay mechanic too much. Take for example the awesome idea of the Milkman Conspiracy chapter where you have to find and free this mysterious Milkman under the surveillance of these lemming-like CIA characters. By wearing disguises you find in CIA cars you progress through the spooky and silly neighborhood that appears to be warping and folding in on itself. The disguise part is fun but it goes on for the whole chapter with no other gameplay mechanics introduced until you get to the boss battle, which has to be the most boring boss in the game. This chapter is just another example of one cool idea stretched too thin. The disguise thing just gets old quickly and there is nothing else to take its place except the usual collecting things and exploring the level.

What this game really seems to be is a 2d game designer who is having trouble adapting to the requirements of 3d platforming. The platforming suffers at the hand of person who only cares about presenting weird ideas, levels, and characters. If you played Brutal Legend you will also recognize the stiff and awkward controls in this game. The challenge of Psychonauts doesn't rest in combating enemies but rather in combating the stiff controls. If I had to sum this game up in one broken sentence it would be, boring and stiff combat with creative level and character design.

All negative things aside this game is creative and its impossible to not notice the unique vision the Pyschonauts universe provides. Sometimes the use of items in the game can be fun for example in the Matador level you use paintings you collect like ladders, vines, guitars, doors, and windows to more easily move around the level. The characters are fun and the writing is decent but the tedium that sets at some point in every chapter really kills this game.
  81. EddM
    Jan 17, 2010
    Brilliant. Pure and simple. The game is wacky, funny, clever and above all: fun. I'm on my fifth play through at the moment and it still makes me laugh. The only issue really is the frankly insane difficulty spike over the last level or two. The game goes from fun to mind numbing slog for a half hour or so. It's no where near enough to ruin it, but it does take the shine off it! Brilliant. Pure and simple. The game is wacky, funny, clever and above all: fun. I'm on my fifth play through at the moment and it still makes me laugh. The only issue really is the frankly insane difficulty spike over the last level or two. The game goes from fun to mind numbing slog for a half hour or so. It's no where near enough to ruin it, but it does take the shine off it! Fully recommended though! Expand
  82. [anonymous]
    Dec 21, 2009
    One of the greatest games i've ever played. I was a bit sceptical of it at first, but it was just so delightfully weird and funny at the same time. And the fact how they coule make a story this weird also giving that awesome feeling of epicness is just mind blowing. Get it? Mind...blowing....like the...game's...yeah.
  83. SamS
    Sep 30, 2009
    Doublefine does some of the most amazing work I've seen in this industry. Definitely a 10
  84. JamesRockley
    Aug 29, 2009
    I don't know about anyone else but I was recently starting to loose my faith in gaming, I'd buy a game and be bored within a few hours. I was starting to think that maybe I just didn't like video games anymore. Psychonauts put all of these worries to rest, by providing a fun (remember that people?), charming and hilarious game. While I shant give away anything in particular I don't know about anyone else but I was recently starting to loose my faith in gaming, I'd buy a game and be bored within a few hours. I was starting to think that maybe I just didn't like video games anymore. Psychonauts put all of these worries to rest, by providing a fun (remember that people?), charming and hilarious game. While I shant give away anything in particular let me just say you haven't seen anything like this before. Let me just go ahead and list some of the things that happen in this game: You terrorize a city of fish. You disguise yourself as a grieving widow to get past secret agents. You fight 4 wrestlers to win 4 queens. You play a turn-based strategy game against Napoleon. These kinds of things you just don't see anymore in video games. It's amazingly refreshing to play, and I only wish I had found it sooner. Do yourself a favor and buy this game, its hands down the best thing you'll ever get for $10! Expand
  85. MarkG
    Jul 29, 2009
    The worst aspect of this game is that fact that when it was first released back in 2005 it got overlooked by the gaming public which lead the studio who created it getting closed down. For some reason people prefer to stick to what they know and play the countless Halo, Call of Duty and Tomb Raider squeals instead whereas Psychonauts is wholly originally and a great deal of fun. The in The worst aspect of this game is that fact that when it was first released back in 2005 it got overlooked by the gaming public which lead the studio who created it getting closed down. For some reason people prefer to stick to what they know and play the countless Halo, Call of Duty and Tomb Raider squeals instead whereas Psychonauts is wholly originally and a great deal of fun. The in game graphics, box art and concept do paint this game as some what 'quirky' which I guess is one of the reasons why people where initially put off this game but if you can put your first impressions aside and at least play the free demo you will find just how fun this game is. What makes this game stand out for (as has been pointed out by other reviews) is the level design, the scripting and the humour. Now whilst the gameplay isn't ground breaking it works well although I would highly recommend you use a control pad to play this game. Now I don't want to give to much away but in all my years of gaming I've never played a game like this, the ideas behind some of the levels are just fantastic with one level basically being a parody of Godzilla. Although the game is from 2005 the graphics still hold up in my opinion after all this is a platform game in the vein of Mario but unlike most games of that period it does support wide screen monitors and resolutions up to 1920x1200 within the in game options! I've even come across games this year that don't fully support wide screens yet, so, so much for the argument Psychonauts isn't a technical. The only negative aspects of this game are only minor, the camera positioning doesn't always end up where you want it and even with a control pad the controls takes a bit of getting used to. My only other gripe is the the wasn't long enough, I played it for a week but I had so much fun playing it I wanted more. If I had played this game from new I would have given this an 8/10 (due to it's length) but since it can be bought for next nothing now it gets a well deserved 9/10. Expand
  86. CharlotteF.
    Mar 15, 2009
    Not the longest or most technologically advanced game there is, but Psychonauts makes such a creative take on the Action/Adventure layout that you'll barely notice, with hours of witty dialogue to discover along the way. Concentrates on what games are supposed to be about - fun. Which you WILL have.
  87. JasonMiller
    Mar 1, 2009
    Very original and fun game. I know some complained about the controls, but I used a standard keyboard+mouse setup and it played great, so I'm not really sure what the issue was.
    The design came off with a nice balance between weird and realism, and has a maturity to it that most games I've played, especially more recent ones, simply lack.
    This game has now got me interested in
    This game has now got me interested in the other things the designer (Tim Schafer) has made as well, and I'm impressed.
  88. PG
    Jul 21, 2008
    Many feel this game is revolutionary and shatters rigid industry boundaries and proves that games are art. I am not one of those people. I find it to be a below average platformer with wonky controls and excessive amount of item collection to keep the player playing. The mental powers add an interesting dynamic, but the controls make them usually too difficult to use properly. Since it Many feel this game is revolutionary and shatters rigid industry boundaries and proves that games are art. I am not one of those people. I find it to be a below average platformer with wonky controls and excessive amount of item collection to keep the player playing. The mental powers add an interesting dynamic, but the controls make them usually too difficult to use properly. Since it was realized the game would not be revolutionary in regards to actually playing it, the publisher decided to make a wacky story with odd characters and making each level inside people's minds which somewhat changes the gameplay from level to level, but it still comes down to hopping on platforms, collecting this, that, and the other thing, and mashing buttons to beat up bad guys. The story can be a tad hard to follow and is not spectacular either, though the voice acting and some of the wacky humour can be mildly entertaining. The too long, didn't read version: Overhyped by bandwagoners. Just go play a Mario game or something...there may not be story but at least you'll have fun. Expand
  89. BenC.
    May 31, 2008
    The most original platform game I have ever come across. The art direction is superb and the writing is simply amazing. This is the first game in a long time that has made me both laugh out loud in places and almost cry in others. It displays an emotional maturity rarely seen in games. I have only one word of advice... if you don't have a gamepad to play this with: buy one. You The most original platform game I have ever come across. The art direction is superb and the writing is simply amazing. This is the first game in a long time that has made me both laugh out loud in places and almost cry in others. It displays an emotional maturity rarely seen in games. I have only one word of advice... if you don't have a gamepad to play this with: buy one. You won't be sorry. Expand
  90. TimC.
    Apr 15, 2008
    I recently brought this game, Ive played a couple of levels and have very much enjoyed the experience so far, however i cant say ive played it enough to have a rounded opinion but anything designed by Tim Schafer is going to end up deserving a 10 anyway.
  91. BrianM.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Amazing game with hilarious storyline and slapstick comedy.
  92. EmilA.
    Mar 6, 2008
    It's a really fun and entertaining platform game. Excellent controls and feeling. The story is thrilling and well put on the table. Great game!
  93. EricE.
    Jan 14, 2008
    Fun little game if you enjoy old school adventure games. However I found the controls to be VERY annoying. I fought the controls of the game a lot. Definately was a conversion of a console game and it didn't convert that well.
  94. MisterDK
    Jan 13, 2008
    Superb game, very refreshing and strange. Would recommend to anyone out there.
  95. ColbyA.
    Dec 21, 2007
    Another one of the best games I've played - from some of the people who brought us the Monkey Island series, too! You can tell, even. Great sophisticated humor (no bathroom jokes), many laughs, and really fun and original combat/gameplay system. Definitely recommended story of a carnie at a psychic summer camp unraveling a mystery.
  96. Maurog
    Dec 21, 2007
    A masterpiece reminding of good old classics like Monkey Island II. The characters, the plot, the very weird humor all blended perfectly. Easily one of the best games ever made.
  97. JoshR
    Dec 16, 2007
    I originally played this game way back when it was released so felt compelled to write a small review here. I've played many platform games, and while alot of the franchises out still today can be quite enjoyable I feel this game encapsulated ideas that still need to be fleshed out more to make a great platforming experience. Just as an example I really enjoy how the camp you play in I originally played this game way back when it was released so felt compelled to write a small review here. I've played many platform games, and while alot of the franchises out still today can be quite enjoyable I feel this game encapsulated ideas that still need to be fleshed out more to make a great platforming experience. Just as an example I really enjoy how the camp you play in (when not doing missions) is fairly free roaming and feels very alive with the ability to find other kids around to talk to and just have pointless (but very funny) conversations with as well as just listen to them talk to each other. There is hours of this stuff and it's very funny to listen to so you shouldnt pass that up. It's really a shame it took as long as it did to be released, which is what most say is why it didnt get the inception it deserved, and may feel a tiny bit old hat by now as it doesnt push any boundries in gameplay or really innovate anything worth noting, but it's one game I totally recommend to anyone who is a gamer but hasn't tried it. If nothing else you will enjoy the experience. Expand
  98. RichardS.
    Oct 28, 2007
    This is best platformer I have played (and played and played) to date. Nothing sucked me in like this since Mario64. The art and characters are brilliant, though some levels are difficult, they are more than possible with a little thinking. The story is wacky, insane and fun. And though using a keyboard and mouse it hard (find me one that isn't), it's a platformer, so I used a This is best platformer I have played (and played and played) to date. Nothing sucked me in like this since Mario64. The art and characters are brilliant, though some levels are difficult, they are more than possible with a little thinking. The story is wacky, insane and fun. And though using a keyboard and mouse it hard (find me one that isn't), it's a platformer, so I used a control pad. Anyone with even the remotest interest in Platform style games should play this, if for no other reason than to know what you should expect a great game to be. Expand
  99. AlexH.
    Oct 26, 2007
    A daring adventure, like Super Mario on LSD. Plus clever storyline, engaging characters, funny dialogue, inventive puzzles.
  100. SeanW.
    Sep 12, 2007
    Such a very unique game. Very few games can compare nowadays.
  101. Aug 20, 2010

1. Psychonauts doesn't reinvent the platformer, but it still delivers an experience that feels wholly original in every aspect of its execution.
    It's a brilliant debut for Double Fine, and here's hoping it's just the start of what we can expect to see from them.
  3. A triumph of art direction, a prime example of exquisite aesthetics and of how well an imaginary world can be beautifully conceived.