9.0

1. Jul 5, 2014
    Aside from a few poorly explained controls this was a really fun and original game. The plot is strange, the dialogue is humorous, and the levels each offer something new and different from one another. Unfortunately, the cutscenes are low res, but for a game from 2005 that's to be expected.
  2. Apr 20, 2014
    Psychonauts is one the best games I have ever Played because it is fully original, it is just plain fun and so much more. If one of your friends says it is a bad game don't listen to them!
  3. Mar 1, 2014
    The story and level design certainly are original, and it was fun to play. However, wonky controls and sometimes horrendous camera control bring the score down a couple notches. 20 hours of game play make it definitely worth the money though.
  4. Feb 6, 2014
    I throw 10s around more often than I should to boost a rating of a game I really consider a 9.5 or 9.7 maybe, but there are very few games I consider perfect. This is one of them.

The levels are mental, quite literally, the dialogue is perfectly written and well delivered, the gameplay is fun and the concept is unique. The art style, even, was like anything before it.
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    The writing is very funny, which you won’t see in this industry very often, because in this apparently, in this industry stupid drama is better than smart comedy. The story is very original and interesting, I don’t wish to spoil it so you will have to trust me on this one. Every character has his own personality and struggles, even the unimportant ones, which is nice to see in this land of Mr. Johnny Testosterone Space Marine and Mrs. Sassy Action Chick.
    The gameplay is intresting, but it has it’s flaws (they might be forgivable), the psychic powers are awesome and the boss fights really require skill, every boss has it’s own weak spot, you have to deduce it by watching it’s attacks. On the other hand the camera can be a little female dog some times. The combat outside the boss fights is kind of meh. The difficulty curve is a little bit messed up, there were sequences near the end that almost made break my keyboard. However I never stopped playing it, because I really wanted to see the ending, and I haven’t left disappointed.
    The ending promised a sequel and I really hope to see the day when Psychonauts 2 will be released!
  6. Nov 23, 2013
    Just started a metacritic account so thought I'd jot a quick word about one of my all time favourites games: Psychonauts. Funny, artistic and lovable. The fact that this games makes use of innovative platform mechanics can help but come second to the fact that the characters and comedic writing is so captivating. We love it.
  7. Aug 12, 2013
    I did not finish the game due to the bad controls playing via PC. I think the programmer were overextended with the 3D settings Besides that, the graphics were mediocre, Story and sound were ok.
  8. Aug 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. probably the most original game ever, psychonauts was one of my favorites growing up. i got it on steam and all i can say is, i understand why i liked it so much. you play as a kid named raz, short for razputin, a kid who has phychic abilities. so you naturally run away from your home (the circus) and sneak in the camp. after a funny intro sequence, you can explore the overworld. there's not much in it yet, but it's fun to collect arrowheads, the games currency, in between levels. you soon discover where the levels take place, in peoples minds. after you beat the first level named "basic braining" you can explore the whole camp. you soon get invited to special training by psychonaut sasha nein. so after you go to his training facility you get in his mind and unlock psi blasts. the next levels have you going in your own mind, having to leave the the level twice to unlock powerups to progress. eventually your love interest lilli gets abducted by a lake monster called a lungfish. after a meh boss you go in it's mind where you are a godzilla monster named goggalor with one objective, destroy everything. you soon befriend the lungfish (her name's linda) and she takes you to an insane asylum conveniently placed near the camp where all you have to collect your fellow camper's brains. the minds you go through consist of a level where you try to solve a mystery and find out who the milkman is, a theater, a risk style board game featuring fred and napolean bonaparte, and my favorite, black velvetopia, a place that has you joining wrestling matches to build a tower of cards and fight a bull. once you climb up to the end of the asylum, you meet sheegor, who is voiced by tara strong also, raz is voiced by the person who was invader zim). you soon fight your corrupted camp leader's brain in a "brain tank". but once you win, the tank pours out sneezing powder that causes you to sneeze your brain out. you then launch your brain in the tank and your minds collide, causing the next and final level to be a mix between both your minds. this level is also notoriously hard and honestly, i don't see why. even as a kid i beat it without dieing once. after that you fight the last boss, but not before you unlock your super form. while this boss is easy, it's epic. then the game is over. Expand
  9. Aug 1, 2013
    Easily my favorite game. The story and characters are awesome. The gameplay and voice-acting are top notch. The soundtrack is AMAZING. Wish I could rate it higher Still waiting on that sequel Double Fine; will pre-order it, hands down.
  10. Jul 28, 2013
    The gameplay involves the usual 3D platforming and we can resort to several psychic powers to ease our journey through the minds of several unstable people; unstable people with hilarious personalities and dialogues [yes, personalities for one person, I'm talking about crazy people here]. Besides jumping, moving and shooting there's the usual item and money fetching and we can level up our character by using psycards and mental cowebbs in weird machines.

What makes this game shine above others, besides the sense of humour, is its level design. Each level is a crazy world on its own and they range from a Godzilla-sentai level to a meat-filled circus and, my favourite, a Waterloo-battle game board. In this level, we go from the traditional board perspective requiring to move pieces [with our psychic powers] to actually being inside the board world as if it were a regular a level and we keep going between these two "dimensions" of gameplay.

There are some issues with the default controls, especially if you are using the keyboard-and-mouse combination but, fortunately, we can customize almost everything and even the camera pitch, which is extremely important for me since I prefer the inverted vertical control.

Graphically, the game looks vibrant and the engine handles things well. It is a pleasure to look at the characters and levels because they have been cleverly designed with a lot of "personality".

Psychonauts is a platformer like many others but its heart does not lie in its platforming roots but in its "psychoticness".

Funny story, crazy characters and witty level designs make it a must-play

Give it a try!

Gameplay: 9

Art: 10

///------TOTAL: 9 [rounded]------///
  11. Jul 19, 2013
    One of the best games of all time. The plot is unusual and original. Dialogues and situations are full of old style adventure's characteristic humor. The gameplay is fun, never boring, gives the ability to use many kinds of gadgets and mental power, exploring various and colorful places through the "mind" levels of the characters, dreamlike, insane and brilliant at the same time. An absolute masterpiece of its genre. Expand
  12. AWG
    Jun 29, 2013
    What is this game supposed to be? A platformer, an adventure, what? I couldn't tell. Psychonauts tries way too much to be funny and clever but it's just chaotic. Gameplay could be good but the number of useless, interrupting, irritating cutscenes is over 9000. Never again.
  13. Jun 24, 2013
    I like this game. Get tired of 2D platformers and found out this is good, 3D platformers still wins in many ways to me. In the 2D platformers all i got is just, walk left, right, jump up jump down, which kind of boring to me. I'm using a joystick to play this game, excellent gaming experience. The graphic are nice, I like the way the game developer do the things in this game. Great and a must play game. Expand
  14. Jun 3, 2013
    I love Psychonauts it is the best game I have ever played. The funniest level was the Milkman Conspiracy. And my favourite level was Lungfishopolis. It is so amazing and imaginative.

You should check it out too.
    (Louisa Sweeney London, Aged, 7).
  15. Mar 8, 2013
    The most unappreciated game of our generation. This game is a perfect example of what makes games fun. This game made me feel the way I did as a kid first discovering games. Genius humor and level creation. I have never laughed harder or been more surprised by plot twists. I cannot recommend this game enough. I have set this game as a benchmark for every game I play from then on and they all fall short. Long live the Milk Man. Expand
  16. Dec 30, 2012
    Psychonauts tries very hard to be wacky and funny, but I didn't find it engaging. The gameplay was mediocre, with control issues and lots of tedious collectibles, and I didn't care for any of the characters. I know others have raved about this game, but it's hit and miss, and it missed the mark for me.
  17. Dec 26, 2012
    Psychonauts is an unforgettable experience. Its humor and art style is superb, and when everyone who plays it says that it's amazing and underrated, they're telling the truth. It feels like a cartoon/movie that you want to watch over and over again. The characters are likable, especially the main character, Rasputin. In fact, every character has voice acting, which was very impressive for a platformer like Psychonauts. The gameplay is entertaining, the only downfall being some odd controls. You can move around just fine, and fighting is quite fun, but switching between psychic powers can feel a bit odd. The graphics are very stylized and look quite nice, even if they are currently outdated. You'll come across glitches every once and a while, but all the problems Psychonauts have are forgivable. The charm it has is borderline excessive, and even though I only really finished the game a year or so ago, I feel overwhelming nostalgia for it. The game really dos a good job of entertaining and bringing back that childhood wonder you may have once had for games. The MAIN drawback is that this game will, most likely, have no sequel. But it's cheap, so buy it for yourself, and any friends who may want it too. Expand
  18. Dec 13, 2012
    Terrible graphics and disgusting design, makes this one of the ugliest game I have ever played.
    The controls are bad and lack preciseness. The game-play is repetitive with too much focus on collecting random stuff.
    It's just a bad platformer, with little redeeming qualities.
  19. Nov 23, 2012
    I originally played this back on the original Xbox and it remains one of my favorite games of all time. The storyline and art style of Psychonauts just oozes with originality and the characters are some of the most memorable ever to appear in a game title.

As a platformer, this is a pretty standard Mario style
  20. Nov 7, 2012
    Everyone's right about this game. Yes, the concept and art is outstanding and exciting. Yes, the game has a lot of funny gameplay balanced between adventure-like exploration, puzzles and platforming action. I'd say the game is 23% exploration, 15% logical problems (how to beat boss, how to solve a situation and progress), 32% platforming, and 30% action. Personally I'd like more focus on adventure and puzzle parts less on action, and a more forgiving approach to the platforming. I'd also expect more of the fun writing spread into the actual gameplay sections rather than cutscenes. Most of the time, you'll play it like any other 3d platformer and the cutscenes are where all the dialogue and writing have been put. It's a good game, and six out of ten is above average. It's just not a brilliant GAME as such, more like an above average action platformer presented and packaged in a brilliant concept and design. I highly recommend you to check it out, but more for the concept ideas than for the actual gameplay. Plus, only a small amount of people make it through the last level, so if you want to get the full experience, you might be disappointed and might have to watch the ending on Youtube (like I did). The current User Score is 9.2/10, which means something like "close to perfect masterpiece". I think it's a 8/10 at most, and a 6/10 if you want to really just see it for what it is rather than what it looks like. Expand
  21. Oct 1, 2012
    Imaginative, creative, hilarious, charming, beautiful, and fun! These are the traits Psychonauts has to offer. But would you expect anything else from Tim shafer? It baffles me how well Double Fine have made this game. Not just from a technical view point, Psychonauts is a genius game. The humor and dialog are some of the best I have seen in videogames, and the characters and story blend together in a most fitting way. There are so many lovable characters in this game, and each has something unique of their own. You get to get into the minds of various folks during the game, and each has a special vision in their brains. The story is fantastic, and geniuanly forces you to keep going. So much creativity and originality is here, I can't recommend it enough. If you like games that aren't conventional, or games that break the mold, this one is like no other. It aged very well, graphically, so you won't have a problem playing it today. A videogame masterpiece. Expand
  22. Sep 28, 2012
    Psychonauts is definitely worth a 9/10. My vote goes for the controls.You will come to a point in the game where a pad is necessary for progress and not everyone has one available.
  23. Sep 26, 2012
    Best game I ever played! The characters are fantastic, the plot is crazy as the level disegn... A strange and funny travel in the maze of our minds. Is Tim Schafer a genius? Maybe... but this game is really perfect in every aspect. Congratulations to all the team that worked in this beautiful piece of art.
    Please, don't miss this masterpiece of irony and level design!
  24. Aug 25, 2012
    Very fun game and story with a great story all up to the point where you need to get the item to clean up spider webs from peoples minds. The fact that you had to get such a ridiculous amount of arrow heads just killed the game for me and that's where I stopped playing.
  25. Aug 8, 2012
    Pleasantly satisfying gameplay is combined with beautiful environments, outstanding humor and an interesting and developed story to make Psychonauts a must have for gamepad owners! The memorable adventure at 30 hours completion with 100% achievements on Steam makes Psychonauts quite the bang for your buck.
  26. Jul 23, 2012
    It's a good game! I personally wouldn't play it for hours upon hours every day, but it's got a GREAT Story. You go into other people's minds, trying to become a Psychonaut. You are basically at a camp, and there are also bullies who do appear quite often in the story, and you also befriend a few people! I'd recommend it if you're up for a good story, but if you're one of those people who only likes shooters...don't get it. Expand
  27. Jul 22, 2012
    Bestes Jumpn Run Game das ich kenne !!! :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  28. Jul 21, 2012
    Psychonauts is one of the best games ever made. In the same league with, say, Bioshock and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. It is incredibly funny, brilliantly written and designed, and was a huge amount of fun. That said, the jump&run game play is not always perfect, and sometimes frustrating, so it's not perfect. But the brilliance of the story, the visuals, and the writing make up for small-ish game play problems, at least for me. If you've never played it, do it now! Expand
  29. Jul 17, 2012
    Just purchased this game for next to nothing on Steam and played through the first 'mission.' I almost wish I'd paid more! It's such good fun, the creators really do deserve credit for this. It looks so sharp and fresh even though it's 7 years old, voice acting is very good and the script is funny too. A lighthearted and enjoyable game, just what you need when you have to have a break from killing orcs or bringing down the combine :) It's a 10/10 for it's genre, but rating it 9 because I think that only games like Bioshock and Half Life 2 really deserve full marks... Nonetheless, a happy game that I know I'll keep coming back to. Expand
  30. Jul 11, 2012
    In my latest obsession with indie games, this is the best one I've played so far. The concept of going into people's minds and gaining clues, sorting their emotional baggage, and just looking around in the "world as they see it" is fun and interesting (as well as creative). One of the levels is the mind of a mutated lungfish; it doesn't get much more creative than that! It's much easier to play with a controller than the keyboard, but there really aren't any problems with the keyboard, either. The camera angles are a little strange and takes some getting used to (especially in the last level), but there are more positives than negatives with this game. The cut-scenes range from curious to hilarious, and though it feels short before the main plot is revealed, you still get to know a good amount of the characters. Some parts require thinking, and the last level really takes patience, but it's just the sort of game that you can play over and over again. Expand
  31. Jun 26, 2012
    Psychonauts is a good game, and like many good things, it is extremely overrated. This is not a revolutionary game, nor is it a must have. It's not even "great". There are some great elements in it, like the story, the atmosphere, the dialogue, the level ideas, the humor, which are all clearly brilliant and inspired. In fact, it's amazing and better than most games. Where the game falls short is the actual gameplay. For a 3D platformer, the game is far from fun to play. The levels are sometimes long, and not very exciting, and the main excitement is walking around trying to figure out what to do next, without much in the way of action. It's great but not really made by someone who understands video games, but still an intelligent game. Expand
  32. R-Q
    Jun 12, 2012
    Up to date, this is the best platform game I ever played. Maybe not in terms of gameplay - there are some performing as well - for example Rayman 3, Kao the Kangaroo or various console platformers. But visual aspect of Psychonauts, themes and motifs make this game a piece of modern art. I highly recommend this inspiration for "Inception" movie.
  33. Jun 1, 2012
    Extremely impressive game, was amazed at how well the graphics look considering it's essentially a ps2 port. Biggest issue with the game is the menu navigation, which are pretty much on par with skinning a bear with a carrot. 9.6 rounds to 10.
  34. May 29, 2012
    Psychonauts was one of the best games of the new millenium decade. It makes it right up there on my top 5 games of all time list. In the way of Art Design, the game is incredibly stylized with no two NPC's looking alike. The writing that went into these NPC's is also fantastic, making each character memorable and unique. Voice acting was great, but a few more lines were needed, as I found characters repeating lines too often. Controls are smooth, but the terrain can trap you into a slide move when you landed there by accident. The game is largely a 3rd Person Platformer with puzzles and combat done through the various psychic powers you get during the game. On my first playthrough, I had trouble with something that should never happen in a video game. When you go to a store, the merchandise should be an optional item you buy, not required to progress. It turns out you NEED to buy an item, and it just so happens to be the most expensive item in the shop. You have to KNOW to save up your currency. The setting for the game is a summer camp for psychics as an overworld, and the main levels of the game are inside people's minds. For example, there is a mind that looks like a war zone, a mind that looks like a theater, and a mind that looks like a board game. The difficulty curve of the puzzles dramatically increases at one point of the game to where it becomes a 90 degree angle. Some of the platforming gets difficult later on in the game as well, and if you aren't experienced, you will die. A LOT. But these faults are dramatically overshadowed buy the good, which is the writing which is legitimately funny, the voice acting, the art, and something that is rarely seen. The gameplay is actually FUN. So many games out there just aren't FUN anymore. They try to convince you otherwise with multiplayer or a good story, but if the gameplay is bad, then we're only fooling ourselves. I know I focussed more on the bad than the good in this review, but in a review, I need to say what went wrong so if a sequel is ever made, it will be done right. I do want a sequel, seeing as the story ends on a cliffhanger, and I would love to see what other ideas there are for the inside of minds. I want to see the mind of a gamer, the mind of a professor, the mind of a computer technician, or heck, the mind of an Amish person could be hilarious and imaginative. But like I said, this game makes it on my top 5 list easily, and it's definitely worth your money and with a campaign that is about 4 hours for a $10 game, it surely worth your time. Expand
  35. May 3, 2012
    Great game. Lots of fun moments, humor and challenges. You have to be careful not to blaze through the main challenges in the game and take some time in between each person's mind/level to explore the camp and interact with all the characters. The achievements for this game are a lot of fun but can be very frustrating when tracking down those last few figments.

Works wonderfully with an
    XBox360 game pad. Expand
  36. Apr 5, 2012
    Certainly doesn't have amazing graphics but it does have a good art style. The gameplay is... a bit bland and clunky. I can't give this more than a 8, it's just not that well. Fun.
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    A great game with a fun graphic style and great sound to go with it not to mention the gameplay that is interesting and unique. The UI is also in the cartoon style and it sometimes is a bit awkward to use but why would the game have the UI any different from it's art style? Lotsa collectibles and fun storyline.
  38. Mar 6, 2012
    Positives: It's certainly original, which is nice to see these days (+3) It runs fine on my PC with no noticeable defects (+1) It's good to see more titles from independent developers (+1) As far as I can tell, the game is quite expensive, and power-ups are awarded in due course (+2) POSITIVE TOTAL: +7 Neutral: The Art style isn't to my liking, but it isn't bad. It's kind of cheesy, but that's not a good or bad thing.

Negatives:
    Bad Camera Control, which is a very bad thing for a 3D platformer (-3)
    Annoying amount of foreseeable backtracking, though I've only managed to play 94 minutes before giving up (-2)
    The powerups are given out too slowly (-1)
    The 'humor' is absolutely awful (-2)
    EXTREMELY REPETITIVE, which is another major flaw for a platformer (-3)
    Character voices are very grating (-1)
    I'd like to go on, but I fear I've generated enough infamy by now.
    NEGATIVE SCORE: -12

TOTAL SCORE: < -5
    Having a total score of less than -5 puts it quite a bit below average, but it does have its good points, so it doesn't deserve a 0. Since I didn't pay full price (sales) i can deign to give it a lowly 2.

How anyone can find this game entertaining is beyond me, and if anyone wishes to provide me with a counter-argument, be my guest. It is currently the only game in my steam library (of over 110 games) that I have uninstalled.
  39. Feb 21, 2012
    As a nostalgic thrill I decided to play this game again, not remembering the great humor fun combat and creative story I loved this game. The incredible mind of Tim Shaefer is yet to disappoint me.
  40. Feb 10, 2012
    One of the best platformers out there, if not the best. No review is needed, just take my hearty recommendation and buy this game. Anyone that tells you otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.
  41. Feb 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. In my 3D gaming life, I only have three 10/10 games. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy, and Psychonauts. Apart from being one of the most humorous games you will ever play, it is the sheer joy of the surroundings, music and dialogue, that will keep you coming back again and again.

The art style is perfect for the action adventure genre, and it has the settings for higher end graphics cards that will turn the game into a visual masterpiece. I remember playing this with a medium strength Radeon 9800SE, and then trying again with a GeForce 9800GT at Full-HD with all eye-candy enabled... It was incredible to behold.

Not to give too much away, but the final stage of the story was not thoroughly play-tested, and has some issues with camera positioning, visibility and difficulty level. In fact, the Meat Circus level is so much harder than all levels that came before it, you may well consider it impossible to complete.

Be patient, and keep trying, as the reward of completing this game, is well worth the effort (and multiple deaths incurred). Once completed, you can play this game many more times, and just walk around listening to interesting and humorous chatter among the other characters.

This game is a true classic, and was shamefully overlooked on original release. This game is still available for original XBOX, Playstation 2 and PC (via GOG.COM or Steam), so do yourself a favour and reserve a good few weeks to fully appreciate (what I consider to be) a milestone in adventure gaming.

42. Feb 9, 2012
    How many times have I passed this game? Million! And every time I passed this game with pleasure! A wonderful game... Suitable for gameplay characters, original graphics, great story... Excellent, just excellent!
  43. Feb 8, 2012
    I was pleasantly surprised by this game. It starts off slowly but by the third 'stage' the game is just incredibly fun and creative. There are more than few annoying, whining kids in the very beginning of the game but they quickly vanish. Most of the later stages are extremely fun and memorable.
  44. Dec 24, 2011
    Craziest game I ever played. At first it looked like Metroid in 3d, with exploration, collecting powers and more exploration in newly available areas. But game is much more, for example undersea pursuit - I didn't see such race in games at all. So if you don't afraid to play in non standard game with very non standard graphics - when you will enjoy this game.
  45. Dec 20, 2011
    This game is my favourite game in the whole universe. It is so good, filled with humor and exciting stuff to do. I swear the money spent on this game will not be a waste, it's a Tim Schafer classic and it's gorgeous from beginning to end.
  46. Dec 13, 2011
    This 3D platforming game is superb from its creative and colorful levels to its complex and conflicted characters. As the boy Raz, you learn eight different psychic abilities for combat and exploration that range from floating around to burning things. However, the troublesome controls due to many buttons being used, the annoying camera setup, and the relentlessly difficult final level kept me from absolutely loving it. Expand
  47. Dec 7, 2011
    This is one of those games that people either love or hate. Where you fall depends on whether you care more about somewhat lacking controls or about a creative, unique story and quirky characters. Psychonauts may have below average gameplay, but they are never game-breaking and, at least for me, the story and environments keep me immersed and laughing throughout the entire game. The story is also genuinely funny. The music is nothing special in most cases and at time, some of them can get annoying. The bottom line is: if you want an adventure that will stay with you, long after you stopped playing and you can get over the less-then-perfect controls, $10 is a steal for Psychonauts. Expand
  48. Nov 11, 2011
    A below-average 3D platformer with great atmosphere, art style, plot, characters and right about everything else. There is literally no reason for anyone not to buy this game, especially for the low price it's being sold for these days. Don't be afraid of paying the required 10$, for I can assure you it'll be worth it.
  49. Oct 14, 2011
    Brilliant. Simply brilliant. This is what a platformer should be. It is one of the most original and fun games I have ever played. If you're a fan of platformers, you should buy psychonauts right now. My only real complaint is that the camera angle can sometimes screw you up at ONE point in the game, but that's it. When that's the only discernable flaw that a game has, it deserves a 10.
  50. Oct 10, 2011
    One of the most creative and fun games ever created! Everyone owes it to themselves to play this game. The character dialogue is compelling and humorous and the storyline is epically strange.
  51. Oct 1, 2011
    First of all: Get this game. Really. If you're even remotely interested in either adventure or platform genre, get this game. Here's why Psychonauts gets a (almost) perfect 10 from my account.

I love games that delve into the psyche of one another, and Psychonauts does so in a very clear and fun way. Possibly inspired by Being John Malcovic you simply place a door on someones head and
    then you can step right in. Each character you enter has his or own -mostly traumatic- issues you get to deal with, causing each level to be completely different in terms of style and goal. So instead of your typical "go and fetch me a shrubbery" type of quest it's more like "jump inside and put my mind straight"

This game has what I think is the Tim Schafer signature in terms of dialogue, humor and originality. Meaning you get the same feeling when playing the first Monkey Island or Sam and Max games, or Day of The Tentacle. Yet it's not a point and click adventure game, since you're running around in a 3D environment playing all kinds of acrobatic stunts (after all, you were raised as an acrobat). Psychonauts combines my two favourite genres, adventure and (3D) platforming, adding a compelling and original storyline and interesting, divers characters. There's a big gaming world for you to explore, and you'll never guess (right) what's coming next. The voicecasting is awesome imho, and graphically this game does not let down in any way. I do have to admit one thing though: I have never finished it. The very last level was just too hard for me, and I got frustrated every time. I believe it also had to do with some weird camera angles at that point which didn't work out for me. Nevertheless I didn't find that reason enough to rate this game any lower than 10. It's just that much fun.

So now that it's ont steam I'll be buying this gem again. Who knows, maybe I'll actually get to finish it this time..
  52. Sep 14, 2011
    Outside of the tediousness of collecting the outlandish number of collectibles, Psychonauts is one of the most overlooked platforming gems to have ever been made. The art and general look of this game is very reminiscent of a Henry Selick film right down to the characters having exaggerated legs, arms and defining features. It's just a shame that there won't be a Psychonaut 2 in the future.
  53. May 27, 2011
    While the controls are in need of improvement on the PC, the game itself is a wonder to behold. With a very innovative world and combat system, the game continues to be a high point in the world of 3D platformers. With a few small adjustments to the camera, this game could be one of the best games of all time.
  54. Mar 21, 2011
    This was Double Fine's first release. When a new game company enters the industry they have to release something new or different in an attempt to get people to buy their games. Sometimes this is a success and a unique game is created or it is a horrible clunky failure. This game simply blew me away. I played it for the first time in 2010 after hearing very little about it. I was born in 89 and have been playing video games my entire life and in MASSIVE quantities. I saw more creativity and unique game play mechanics in single levels of Psychonauts than I had seen in entire other games that I previously praised as being unique or creative. For me games, if good, are generally pretty fun and at least entertaining. Everything about this game was so much fun and fun might actually be the best word to describe this game. Isn't that what games are supposed to be after all?

If I was going to give this a game a very honest review it would probably get an 8.0 losing points for some camera angle/mechanic issues that are common with mediocre PC ports. I can't speak for how it was on consoles. I can't do that though because I simply loved this game too much and it still remains my favorite game of all time. Te good aspects of the game just obliterate any negative points I would even consider giving it.
  55. Nov 3, 2010
    Psychonauts follows the adventures of Razputin, or Raz, in a psychic summer camp where the government is supposedly training children with paranormal abilities to become secret agents named psychonauts. I say supposedly because the game has a complex story which is being slowly unraveled as I play through the various levels represented by the different minds Raz enters. The main character Raz resembles a classic child hero who must rise up out of an oppressive upbringing to fight the evil madman who wants nothing else but to take over the world. Unlike most games which start with a dull tutorial that simply teaches basic keyboard commands Psychonauts offered a chance to develop some of the plot before even starting the tutorial through interactions with minor characters. During the tutorial, which was named â Expand
  56. Aug 20, 2010
    If you have played Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fadingo, or Full Throttle you will be overcome with feelings of nostalgia when playing Psychonauts. The story, how the characters are presented, and puzzles in the game all share similarities to these other games developed by Tim Schafer. I loved those games so I wanted to love Psychonauts but I just couldn't. There are so many creative environments and interesting level ideas woven into the story but almost every chapter of the game overstays its welcome or leans on one gameplay mechanic too much. Take for example the awesome idea of the Milkman Conspiracy chapter where you have to find and free this mysterious Milkman under the surveillance of these lemming-like CIA characters. By wearing disguises you find in CIA cars you progress through the spooky and silly neighborhood that appears to be warping and folding in on itself. The disguise part is fun but it goes on for the whole chapter with no other gameplay mechanics introduced until you get to the boss battle, which has to be the most boring boss in the game. This chapter is just another example of one cool idea stretched too thin. The disguise thing just gets old quickly and there is nothing else to take its place except the usual collecting things and exploring the level.

What this game really seems to be is a 2d game designer who is having trouble adapting to the requirements of 3d platforming. The platforming suffers at the hand of person who only cares about presenting weird ideas, levels, and characters. If you played Brutal Legend you will also recognize the stiff and awkward controls in this game. The challenge of Psychonauts doesn't rest in combating enemies but rather in combating the stiff controls. If I had to sum this game up in one broken sentence it would be, boring and stiff combat with creative level and character design.

All negative things aside this game is creative and its impossible to not notice the unique vision the Pyschonauts universe provides. Sometimes the use of items in the game can be fun for example in the Matador level you use paintings you collect like ladders, vines, guitars, doors, and windows to more easily move around the level. The characters are fun and the writing is decent but the tedium that sets at some point in every chapter really kills this game.

1. Psychonauts doesn't reinvent the platformer, but it still delivers an experience that feels wholly original in every aspect of its execution.
    It's a brilliant debut for Double Fine, and here's hoping it's just the start of what we can expect to see from them.
  3. A triumph of art direction, a prime example of exquisite aesthetics and of how well an imaginary world can be beautifully conceived.