5.1

1. Jul 28, 2014
    The game is a solid 9 for me, but to balance the "0"-votings, i rate it a 10.

Playing this game again at the moment and having a blast with it. Superb gunplay, intense atmosphere and well designed characters! The engine is realy impressive, you never see the same barrel or garbage twice, every location is unique. The buildings interiors are top notch, it feels so real! Sure, the engine
    has it's downsides, so you will see some blurry textures here and there, but who cares? When you digging in the sewers and you can almost smell the **** and be immersed into the game!

For me this game is a clearly underrated gem. Imagine Rage with the mechanics from a Fallout New Vegas, more items, hunger and thirst! This would be my dream-game :-)

The story in Rage is ok for a shooter, but don't expect some heavy plot here. But that's not really important. The world is unique, beautiful, lots of places to explore, tune your guns and cars, speak with the natives, do quests, take on some races and enjoy some great hours of gameplay!
  2. Jun 14, 2014
    This is my personal experience with the PC version of this game. Rage. Is. Awesome! Gun fights rock! Driving and blowing stuff up, Rocks! The NPC's are very well done. Everything is sooo beautiful. The game just looks fantastic.

If you haven't you have to buy the add on RAGE: The Scorchers. Why? Two Reasons. #1 Sarah, #2 The nail gun (whoopidy doo right? nope it has a rail gun
    attachment that lets you see through walls and shoot through said walls and completely disintegrate most foes! Which ROCKS by the way!

I had so much fun playing this game. I have enjoyed at least 4 different play throughs and would highly recommend this game to others.

The only faults in the game is I wish I could interact more with certain NPC's. I don't mean sexually.
  3. Dec 8, 2013
    Don't listen to all the nay-sayers. Rage is a blast, and deserves at least a play through! Game honestly deserves an 8, but someone has to offset all the people griping about the ATI issue. The combat in Rage is top notch. Interactive enemies, grenades that function correctly, and an overall impressive atmosphere. For me, the only point where the game looses out is on a weak story line. Oh well its a fun shooter with great combat. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2013
    I tried this game in the recent Free Weekend on Steam. Other than some other posters who slate the game for it being free to try out, I think it's a great idea. You can test if it's what you expect and like, if it runs well on your rig, and then take it or leave it what the heck would be wrong with that??

I figure the game must have had some problems at launch, and it really looks like
    some people are still in RAGE cuz they once paid €50 for this, it didn't work for them and thus they keep downvoting it forever. I guess they're hung up about their own issues you can safely ignore them. Saying it's mediocre and then giving it a score of 0 is just not honest and forthright. (If you don't know what that means, look it up, ragers!)

So, I checked it out for about 2 hours on my ageing PC (Radeon 4870, Phenom CPU, Win Vista). It ran really well, looked gorgeous, was engaging in combat and in dialogue. It entertained me plenty, I had lots of fun, no issues with graphics, controls, all worked perfectly. Worth the €5 on special offer? Not just worth it, it's a STEAL.

Yes the gameplay is linear (bit like Borderlands), yes there are invisible walls, yes the weapon options are limited, so is the roleplaying element. But by golly, the combat is a freakin fun-filled splatterfest! This game is what it is, don't expect it to be anything else, and you'll have a blast. No you can't mess about with objects or customise your character like in Fallout 3, it doesn't have the Fallout 3 humour, it doesn't do many things, but what it does it does brilliantly.

Don't come to this with false hopes, and you'll love it too. You won't be disappointed.
  5. Nov 22, 2013
    So it's Borderlands with less colors and more horror. I swear each mutant that attacks is an individual mini-jump scare. Really pretty exciting actually. There's also a ton of side-stuff to do if you're bored. There's racing and even a collectible-card metagame. Not to mention side-quests to keep you busy if you're bored. The story isn't anything special but it has a solid premise to keep the game rolling. Characters are pretty damn good, well acted, well designed, and well developed. Shooting is solid, looting is satisfying. There are some problems with texture pop-in due to the megatexture thing. Best version is on PC, the console versions are buggy as hell. PC version is still a little buggy but a lot better. Doesn't deserve a 10/10 but I wanted to counter the awful score users are giving it. It's much better than a 4.9/10, you guys are ridiculous. Solid 8/10, if not more. Expand
  6. Oct 24, 2013
    I got this game and the scourcher pack for like $19.99 on steam. It was super fun single player for me. I didnt and probably won't play mulit player. I did have any problems with bug or glitches. It ran perfect. I would have gave it a 10, but the ending left me hanging. dont know if they'll make a part 2 or not. Overall it was fun. Like mad max meets doom.
  7. Oct 19, 2013
    Heyyo, I'm rating this 10/10 purely becuase people gave it terrible reviews due to release bugs. Now that the game's fixed up? It's plenty fun. Screw them kids who went "RELEASE GAEMS MEOW!" and then went "WAHH GAEM'S BUGGY 1/10" :P
  8. Sep 25, 2013
    First of all, i dont wana teach people how to write reviews or match rating with the written review.. but i must say that imo 2 points out of 10 are a question of personal taste. Not only that, but i must also say that you can review black without knowing white, same goes for saying x is great is y doesnt exist... this means that rating is possible and legit when you compare to other games in its category or atleast with similarities... With this said... i give this game a 10 and i am surprised with the low rating and reviews...

Where can i start? well with the fact that, this is a bethesda game... so to those complaining about graphics.. they are perfect to me.. if you want a game to escape your CoD or Battlefield addiction dont low rate a good quality game just because graphics arent similar... On the same road, i must say that i am surprised that this marvelous fps game is from bethesda, since they are renowned for their rpgs. So it was indeed a great positive surprise for me...

The shooting is great, the combat smooth, the whole idea of wasteland violence and surprise attacks is just... 10... right of the bat i got spooked out with a bandint jumping on me. The fact that ammo keeps running low is also good imo, since it adds to the difficulty (which may i say, scales awesomely well... hard to see a fps with such a great difficulty scaling(usually its either dumb dummies or headshot bots))
    The vehicle combat is really fun and interesting. Side quests (even though it is not an rpg) exist and are great.helpful and fun...

Now... to all negative reviews.. i just gota say that, ofcourse you cant compare this game to cod or battlefield.. this game has a great story, and alot more than mere shooting, its bethesda... Comparing it to fallout is also silly, even though both are bethesda and involves wastelands, 1 is a rpg and the other fps with little rpg elements. I must say that this is also a great point for this game, the rpg elements are genious... they are just enough to maintain fps status but still give some extra stuff to do and work on.

This game cannot be compared to Stalker also... Stalker is also fps true, but has way more elements of rpg.. Its a great game also, BUT simply cannot be compared to RAGE. Whole different ideas, 1 has intense combat which is cohesive to the fact that you are being hunted down, the other is honest and loyal to the idea that you are a stalker... and therefore is just existing like other stalkers (scavenging)

Compare this game to metro last light... which as i reviewed... is really really unfinished. Compare both games... both fps, both of them are post apocalyptical games and both pursue the idea of intense combat. However... metro has no side quests, no minimum rpg elements... many strings that you pull only to realise there is nothing on the other end...

Rage does have a story and its pretty linear... you cant simply cant get lost... if you get lost playing rage.. you should stick to basic left to right games.. STILL it manages to give you room to work on smaller stuff.. Yes the story aint deep... but tell me 5 fps games that get you immersed in its story....

I sincerly find it pretty sad, to see critics unable to match their writing to their number rating. Even more to see players and pro critics alike comparing this game to cod when it comes to shooting and graphics and story to other bethesda rpg games... seriously... giving metro last joke a 8 and this game a 4.8 user rating is just ridiculous.... If you played stalker or metro the joke and like post apocalyptical fps games... Rage is an awesome surprise... dont trust ratings from people who compare it wrongly... just give it a chance... its bethesda ffs.... ID made great game aswell... why on earth wouldnt you try it?

Oh and to all bug this.. crash that... graphic that" seriously... people dont downvote jokes like darksouls for its pathetic unplayable pc version but will downvote this because it has better graphics on console?!? ilogical imo... The game runs fine... if by any chance you think its lagish due to low fps, press esc, go to options and there you shall find video options that you can change... judging by what i see on many reviews, this is apparently really hard to do...
  9. Sep 19, 2013
    Your enjoyment depends on what you expect. If you expect a game that is Skyrim, Doom and Fallout all in one, then you will be disappointed. But if you expect a good shooter, variable enemies and enviroments with some more space to walk and more RPG like story then you will be happy. The only bad thing is tons of bugs at launch of the game (currently in 2013 all problems are fixed) and weak ending. Also I didnt like that main character has Gordon Freemans syndrome. But overally if you dont expect too much you will love this game. Expand
  10. Aug 5, 2013
    Nearly 2 years after the release most of the problems solved, I still got some funky things going on with the graphics, it's not a big problem but it is annoying when you first start the game and seeing SMALL spider webs in the back ground, I am on an integrated garbage graphics card, a good bit better than recommended but still integrated. Anyways I'd like to say this was very enjoyable,especially early on! Getting new guns, obtaining/buying different ammo types enhances the weapons flavor.

The personalities are a bit more realistic something that you could expect in a wasteland like this, if you like BL2 personalities and expect that, don't. Because they aren't outrageous,inhumane, and stereotypical like in BL2.

The weapons Each weapon has purpose throughout the game because of their different ammo types
    There are plenty of weapons and you can keep them all on you, this game is also awesome because a lot of times you need to prepare, so you go to the store stock up on whats appropriate for the mission and go out and handle your business. By the end of the game, if you're an explorer type of player or you just want to do the main quest line, you will all end up with the same weapons, just explorer type of players will get them sooner, and also have a lot more money. It's too bad they couldn't reward explorers more though, but still fun and exciting to explore!

Schematics I wish they had more and I want to cut down the score by .5 because of it but thats only because the schematics are so cool I want more!!!! If they were garbage or just plain uninteresting or useless, I wouldn't care but the schematics feel great and you guys will love it!

The entire map There are many places to explore but they don't reward explorers as much as fallout for example, I know it's 2 different games but I don't see what the problem would be if they added more weapons, unique weapons, and weapons that can only be found by exploring.
    The landscape is beautiful sometimes you just need to sit back and just stare at the buildings details, the ground,rocks, sky. It's great!

Overall a great game, I usually don't finish games they bore me half way through or just plain piss me off with stupid game design decisions. But this game I finished and up until I ran out of optional things to do the game got a little less exciting. This game is a 15-25+ hour game and if you like this type of game, definitely get it! The only regret I have is paying discount price
  11. Jul 30, 2013
    The bad reviews are outdated. There are graphic fixes and guides for your setting which make result in a very enjoyable environment. Most bugs have been fixed (haven't experienced a single bug in my playthrough!). Note: graphics are instantly loaded into ram when entering a map; this can result in ~30 seconds of lag right at the start. However after that it's flawlessly fluent.

The game gives you a great variety of weapons right from the start which partwise transform into completely new weapons just by switching the ammo.

The story could have been better, but well it's not like CoD and Co had good stories either.

This game might have had it's issues, but they're gone now.

If you see this game on sale grab it!
    It's definitely enjoyable abd worth the money!
  12. Jun 11, 2013
    What with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal great level of polish. Even the voice acting is pretty solid. It might be that many of the negative reviews are simple due to unrealistic expectations ("it's ID, so it HAS to be some next level and/or the early bugs (I experienced none so far). In 2013, in a sale, Rage is a great shooter with some small but nice RPG overtones. I enjoyed it more than Borderlands 2, so far, if that's any help. On the negative side: it's a bit repetitive (like most if not all shooters), it's more lineair than it likes to pretend. A great buy at a tenner or two Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2013
    Great game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to every shot they are hit with in a realistic way with impressively animated deaths. The animators at id software knocked it out the park with the games many fluid and jaw dropping animations, from crazed mutants ravenously coming after you, to salty bandits flailing back from gunfire ultimately spinning and falling face first to their death these animations are handled with a smoothness and degree of movement not often(if ever) seen in the video game industry. The sound shines with the vaunted John Goodman lending his voice acting talents. The game isn't short with all the side quests and loot hunting offered as well as a very arcade like but enjoyable racing and vehicle combat section (though a bit easy). The weapons are varied enough with all guns and crossbow having several different ammo types, but the clear cut star of your arsenal is the innovative and devilishly fun wing stick. The wing stick is a type of three bladed boomerang that you throw at your enemies for frequent decapitations and severed limbs, it also can be upgraded to target enemies,do more damage, and return to your hand like a boomerang (did i mention it can slice the head off of multiple enemies in a row).You also find or buy blueprints in the wasteland which build new weapons/guns, upgradable turrets and robots, and even a mini remote controlled truck with bombs attached to it which you can remote detonate (also useful for scouting out enemy camps). You do however rehash the same levels at times with minor differences but with having to make such detailed landscapes it's understandable. The game includes many enjoyable mini games such as five finger fillet, a guitar hero like game called strum, and a very fun card game similar to magic the gathering with picture cards of different in game characters and factions that you find throughout the wasteland to strengthen your deck(trust me i am not a card or magic t.g. fan but this is fun). The world isn't as big as fallout but it is as big as it needs to be.It has a fun but not as varied separate coop campaign and online multiplayer in the form of exciting vehicle combat races. I know it isn't the 4 player coop of borderlands but unless you are the type who is compulsive about having 50,000 guns and cell shaded graphics it might be a better all around game than the first borderlands(i do love borderlands by the way). People say Rage doesn't have a story and it has an "okay" if not fleshed out enough story but borderlands though it is entertaining has basically no story at all(you are on pandora- now find this vault).Some found Rage to have a weak ending? Not half as dissapointing as borderlands ending (can anyone say they were pleased with what they found in the vault?) Overall Rage is a breath of fresh air that beckons back to id's yesteryear of gaming (doom,quake) the combat is in your face and aggressive differing from this generation's Gears of Wear totally cover based pop and shoot style of combat (when i am a badass muscle bound space marine i don't want to spend 75% of the game on my knees, i know a few gals who hangout on the corner they can give marcus pheonix a pair of kneepads they spend alot of time on their knees too).Rage has a ton of nostalgic eastereggs too, if you are a Doom,wolfenstein, Quake or id fan you need to get this game for the eastereggs alone! I won't spoil it but let's just say these eastereggs are very.....interactive. The sad thing is that Rage2 was in the works but seeing how Rage undersold they cancelled production and killed the would be series. This was new IP from the fathers of FPS and after all that time they delivered, and after getting their feet wet in this generation with Rage i can assume building on Rage's engine and the experience with Rage would have prepped them to deliver even bigger on Rage2 (can you imagine what that game would of looked like.) Rage is a very strong game and worth the experience it should have sold 5mil. Rage gets a 9 out of 10. j Expand
  14. May 5, 2013
    Great game. Absolutely stunning. I cant believe I wasted so long to get it, because of all the negative reviews here. The graphics are truly amazing and the game play is quite original. Well worth 20 bucks if you ask me. I have had no problem with the game whatsoever. A must have for any fps fan.
  15. Apr 16, 2013
    underrated game. great gameplay, great shooting. great design (the best!). one of my all time favorites.
    It has an abrupt ending. that was disappointing. Also, I would like to see more in the wasteland. there was not much to do. No good reason to explore.
    i had no technical issues with it. (geforce 9800 gtx & geforce gtx 550 ti)
    i hope they make a sequel
  16. Apr 8, 2013
    Gunplay is fast and fluid, enemies have good AI and the arsenal is fun to shoot. Just a real joy as a shooter, it feels true to id's legacy. Similar setting as Fallout, but it's more linear, more about the action, with a fresh visual design. Character animations are great. Lite rpg and racing elements work well but are simple so as to emphasize shooting.
    Performance issues killed the
    general reception of this game. Make sure you update your graphics drivers and patch the game. There's plenty of advice online on solving these issues. Expand
  17. Feb 5, 2013
    Got this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way as you go, you meet more people and earn more money by bidding or doing a race and finishing as first (for an example) the card game called rage frenzy is ok every now and then but I concentrate on the missions. I see collecting books, cards, and bottles and junk to be more of an optional thing but I have come across 30 cards so far and i am in the 3rd town.. The three missions towards the end of the second town was the best so far IMO, I love killing the convoy more than the raiders sometimes cause I have a feeling some are overpowered but then again KEEP IN MIND it counts where exactly you hit the enemy, not how many times you shoot the enemy. The machine gun on the vehicle is a real huge help (has auto aiming) and when you break down you can call for help or just drive back to nearest town and repair it for a nice cheap price. I like how the GFX look, at first I thought it was kinda dumb but now I think its more of a fun way of driving it towards realistic but sometimes when I walk into new areas the ground, walls, items, aumo, etc. look fuzzy or really super blurry, I walked into this one building and got up to the next floor and everything was blur, it got stuck like this for about a half a minute but i was still able to walk around just fine without any lag, however there are times when I turn my head and my screen just freezes for a quick second or so. When going to the missions, you will sometimes use the same route over and over, this can get kind of boring and killing the same raiders you just killed in a previous mission but its all the fun in the game but could still use a different approach every other time. This game kind of makes me think of Metro 2033, the way the gameplay is, there both a apocalyptic game and both have limits like you can't go through certain holes or jump on top of walls or such, there both small games and both are FPS.. However I'm no way saying the games are the same cause they most certainly are not the same, they differ in so many ways. I'm gonna have to give this game a 10 Expand
  18. Jan 16, 2013
    What a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect is super cool. And again the gameplay is FLAWLESS. Either there is some sort of massive conspiracy going on or this game has been heavily patched since its initial release. There is no question that you should buy this game. I really feel that John Carmack and his team got $crewed with all this negative press. This has been one of the most fun games I have played in years. BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!! I am giving this game a 10 (even though no game really is perfect) because of all of the lopsided reviews giving this game a freeking 1! Which is ludicrous. Expand
  19. CJR
    Jan 5, 2013
    Technical issues aside, This game is a very well executed shooter with an artistically designed over world and linear run and gun missions. This game has presented us gamers with a world with great potential, this game will leave you wanting more, and enthusiastic for a sequel.

The action is not highly realistic, some enemies will keep running at you even when you pump a shotgun load
    into their heads, but that is how the guys at id have done it for years with their shooters, once you get over that little bit of un-realism, you will kinda get what it's about.

There missions are basically go and retrieve something or rescue someone, and you kill lots of bad guys along the way, I find that fund in the environments presented in this title, The weapons and their upgrades are good, no need for any kind of grinding or absurd amounts of effort to achieve them and they are rewarding. Vehicle action in Rage is surprisingly well pulled off for a software house that mostly only ever did shooters, it is fun to race around and blow up bandits and race for upgrades. For the mix of linear run and gun and a vehicular oriented over-world there is a huge scope of achievement in rage technically and for a video game that delivers as much play time as it does is nice these days. It's not a futuristic skyrim, there are RPG elements only, like making items from supplies, upgrading armour and weapons, but it ends there, just some rewards to keep you playing and offer choices on how you slay enemies.

Graphically flawless o the right hardware, No show stopping bugs and a well rounded title with at least 10 hours of play. Replayability is good too.

There are a lot of negative reviews complaining about a lack of graphical options and bugs etc, but alot of that has been solved now through updates and new driver updates on the part of both nvidia and ATI. Everyone had this idea in their head that id software is a huge software company with infinite fund to test their titles on every combination of hardware, but this was primarily a console title, which we as the public were lucky enough to get a pc version. id usually does fix most bugs in their releases and rage should be no different.

A year later, this title is great on decent hardware, if you have a mid range PC and are not comfortable with doing some research on pc game tweaks on the internet I would recommend this title on a console rather than PC. If you invest the time though, this is a very graphically impressive title with some minor config file tweaks.

A great FPS and Vehicle game with RPG elements with plenty of fun and story content.
  20. Dec 31, 2012
    Well what a great game, Good graphics fun car battles and slick and interesting weaponry. What really makes this game stand out is the plot and some mission have you jumping out your seat in surprise or fearing moving around the next corner for fear of what might be there. For £7 buy it now!
  21. Oct 28, 2012
    id software is back on top form with this knock-out shooter. Rage is set in a post apocalyptic future after an asteroid hits the Earth, only a small handful of humanity survived and you attempt to rebuild humanity through help of the Resistance. Whilst the game comes on 3 discs it only lasts you around 12 hours for a straight run, 18 hours roughly to do all the side missions and extras. Rage is not a long game and its story is fairly weak with a cop-out ending but the shooting is masterful and the graphics are gob smacking. Usually I wouldn't rate a game this high without a impressive story to back it up but Rage has that old timely feel to it that has managed to blend into modern shooter mechanics making it a near perfect shooter. The PC version is slightly better than the console versions due to its higher graphical standard and it being made for PC to begin with. Expand
  22. Oct 7, 2012
    Muy Buen Shooter, buenos gráficos, variedad de armas y municiones, armamentos de ingenieria, buenos escenarios. Lo malo, no epic final.

Aún así muy recomendable
  23. Aug 31, 2012
    Despite technical issues and horrendously ugly textures, Rage is an exceptionally fun game that expertly merges precise combat, wasteland exploration, questing, and mini-games into a compelling package. **** The perfectly paced levels are full of interesting sights and clever enemies. The rock-solid shooting mechanics and diverse weaponry delivers satisfaction kill after kill. The loot, bartering, and crafting systems are easy to use and greatly reward enterprising players. **** The characters, who are detailed and expertly animated, deliver a sense of believability as they speak their minds and further the story. The wasteland ties everything together, letting you explore and progress at your own tempo. **** To sum it up, Rage offers a purebred FPS experience that maintains the classic id-shooter feel while perfectly mixing in modern conventions. It is an outstanding game and an exemplar of the genre. It gets a 9/10 but since all the fools gave it a 0, I give it a 10/10. Expand
  24. Aug 17, 2012
    A very nice and fun shooter that is so much in one game. The game is open world but also has designed levels, it's an RPG, and even a racing game.
    I'm not a fan of racing games but the car controls in this game are excellent and just perfect for me, you also use your car to fight enemies in the open road , you grab a mission from someone and use your car to go the destination you needed.
    The game has a bit of a retro feel to it, there is no limit to the guns you carry or hell! there is no limit to the ammo either and there are plenty of enemies to kill in this game. Also there are Iron Sights which I hate in FPS but you don't have to use it, the crosshair works just fine with all weapons besides the Sniper of course. The game has towns with NPCs that give you quests and sell you stuff like ammunition and ingredients for crafting, and also there are very fun minigames throughout the game. The levels are well designed and the overall the storyline is nice, although the ending didn't feel like I finished the game, it just felt like it ended in the middle... Expand
  25. Aug 7, 2012
    Bored of all my present games, I keep getting new ones hoping something will keep me entertained, this one did it. Yeah it's a bit linear, not a sandbox for the most part, but it's actually been really fun! Kind of reminds me of borderlands, but I always hated the sketched cartoon look of borderlands. I also wasnt that crazy about the leveling system. This game does away with all the stuff I did not like about borderlands, in fact, prior to playing borderlands this game is what I thought borderlands would be.

The graphics (artwork) are top notch, and honestly they put alot of work in on artwork, and acting is good. Every new area I go to I find myself looking around and taking it in. Get this on a steam sale and you can't go wrong IMO.

I read alot about bugs and bad filters on this game but I experienced none of that on my system. i7 proc with 8ghz ram and 560 Ti Nvidia graphix card. All settings maxed out, 60 frames with a few drops in towns, but only like five frames here and there.

Hope this helped some bored dude like me.

PS
    I gave it 9 out of 10 because I am a big fan of sandbox games, and the co-op is a bit weak. You should be able to do the entire game in co-op, not just a few missions. Nice bonus they had that at least because that is what made me buy it to try it.
  26. Jul 22, 2012
    Meh, don't really get all the hate. I had a friggen blast playing this on a rig that's mostly several years old with the one newish piece being more of a sidegrade than an actual upgrade considering I replaced what was a top of the line video card when I bought it with what's currently a middle of the road card at best. Game looks great, actually takes advantage of the PC-centric tons of guns load out as opposed to what's become the norm of 3 - 4 weapons just to better suit controllers, the racing is fun, the setting is great, and I've just generally had a good time. User ratings on meta-critic are pretty much useless any way. ME 3 has a **** score based almost entirely on the ending, the games has a **** score based largely on glitches that have been resolved, etc, etc, etc. User ratings essentially break down into fans taking issue with one particular thing as opposed to judging the game in it's entirety. Expand
  27. Jun 2, 2012
    This is probably best game of the year. Not too much RPG elements but just enough to put some variety in game and provide awesome fun to shooter fans. RPG fans would probably not love Rage that much because it's too much packed with action. Fallout boring is much more recommended, so advice to all RPG fans to keep as far possible.

There are also 2 bad things in the game. 1) Don't want
    to provide spoilers but ending is really BAD!
    2) In my opinion creators were in some kind of rush with deadlines. While first part of the game is perfect 2nd part looks somehow "unfinished".
  28. May 22, 2012
    Rage is one of the best first person shooters in existence. Awesome graphics and fluid, responsive gunplay set it above all other games of this genre. Rage really is one of the finest games ever made.
  29. May 15, 2012
    Technically superb; great SFX, sound-acting, music, excellent graphics and lighting, gripping facial expressions and immersive world. The characters are very convincing and have personalities. The world and characters respond to your game progression when you bump into them in the cities, providing a great role-playing atmosphere. Many mini-games to keep players occupied; although most of them are generic and not highly inspiring, they're a welcome addition to the hybrid game. Action and gameplay-wise, though, the game isn't too revolutionary. It isn't bad by all means, but it doesn't have a highly satisfying moment throughout the story. Still, it is a great fun amidst all the generic shooters nowadays. As of 2012, most of the bugs and technical issues have been fixed. Expand
  30. May 7, 2012
    All bugs aside, this is a damn fun game. I find it sad how so many people hated it, and while I can see why, I myself thought it was really fun. The shooting is solid, the ai is good, the new engine (while buggy, derp) is fun and done pretty well. Nice job, ID, just make sure Rage 2 is better cared for.
  31. Mar 17, 2012
    The game IMO was fun, the story was no where near the greatest but the game play itself made up for it. I never got much of an RPG feel from the game from the get go and never got the vibe in the long run either. The game at launch was for sure not worth the price but once the price dropped I believe it is a fair deal. (60 bucks for a game you can finish in about 5-7 hrs) Btw, I was one of the lucky few that never had a problem with a buggy, or glitch filled game on the release day, mine ran perfectly from the get go. Expand
  32. Mar 4, 2012
    RAGE (Steam PC) Released 2011 Oct (Id / Bethesda) Played 2012 Feb Genre: Action and Adventure with racing minigames, Overall Score 9.5, Controls 10, Graphics 9, Story 10, Audio 10, DRM Steam only - thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title. I really enjoyed this game; slick and fast first person action, this game pulls you along with story and missions to keep you hooked. [Story] A meteor has hit the earth and killed off the humans. You are a survivor thanks to having been dormant in a protected Ark. You emerge from the Ark to find a modern day wild west with The Authority trying to dominate, colonies of survivors, bandits, mutants, cool looking clothes and tattoos ! Comparisons to Borderlands will be inevitable but they are different games - both great. Commerce and construction of in-game items is straight forward, essential and fun - do not miss out - build as many robots as you can and use them when you are outnumbered in the game. This game hits the FPS sweet spot, after 45 hours of game play I really wish there had been more side missions. I am hoping for DLC : )

[Challenges] There is a main story has missions and in each colony there are side missions to accomplish; racing missions to upgrade your car, commando missions to clean out infested mutant tunnels, item missions to build or acquire special items, snipping missions to defend transactions. On normal difficulty I was able to accomplish 90% of the missions the first time through without a reload - I am OK with that; if you are an FPS dog then turn it up a notch! In FPS sections, the game space and environment is big enough with lots of room for flanking, covering, sniping, run and gun; all the usual elements that we have come to love in FPS. Weapons are awesome - especially the Revolver - quite apropos - construct all items and try them all out. Also, the AI is quite good so get your caffeine; I especially enjoyed the AI behaviour depending on damaged limb and physics of the moment - hilarious ! The end story is weak and kind on makes you feel like Halo2 - suddenly it is over....The physics and the control of the fully upgraded dune buggy in one of the bumpier maps made one minigame race very very very hard, it took me 30 races to take first place, compared to 1-4 for all others!

[Audience and Skill level] All skills levels will like this Game Smoothie - a juicy blend of Quake4, Borderlands and Fallout 3 in a beautifully painted landscape tall glass ! Run down to the Steam diner and pick it up now !

[MyPC] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8Gig RAM / Radeon 6870 / 1920x1200 / W7 PRO SP1 [Controls] I played with a keyboard and trackball. Keys are easy to remap and show up in the on-screen instructions. Sweet. Controls are tight Tight TIGHT; switching weapons quickly and using the perfect combination as you run and gun is always great fun. This was FPS heaven.
    [Graphics] The game world is simply beautiful, but you will need to use a custom configuration file to make this game playable; find it on the Steam Forum by FusedCore {thanks guy}, it will take you ONLY 10 mins. It amazes me that Id released a game crippled by poor video configurations - but this is a solved issue now. The game never hiccuped after the custom config file: I used the Hi-End config. [Sound] I always play with headphones; voice acting is professional, 3D sound is great, SFX bang on, the music is surprisingly serious and ominous - next time lighten up guys ; )

[Replay+AlternativeModes] This game has a bunch of co-op only levels {Legend} and multiplayer; I should probably check these out.

[Children] Adults only, no if ands or buts.

[MyFavoriteGames] [PC Win7] Rage[PC XP] DeuxExHumanRevolution & TheMissingLink, DeadSpace 1&2, Fallout3, FalloutNewVegas, HalfLife 1&2, Bordelands, BatmanArkumAsylum, AssassinsCreed 1, Magicka, RedFaction, Portal 1&2, FromDust, MrRobot, Sam&MaxSeasons1&2, CulpaInnata, TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland, DreamfallTheLongestJourney, Syberia1&2, CrayonPhysicsDeluxe, DefenseGridTheAwakening, PlantsVsZombies, Prototype, Bioshock1&2, UnrealTournament3, Quake4, [360] AfroSamurai, BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO, KOTOR1&2, Crackdown, ArmedAndDangerous, AggressiveInline, BeyondGoodAndEvil, DeadOrAlive1&2&3 ExtremeBeachVolleyball, Psychonauts [AppleG4] DeusExMachina, ReturnToZork, Suspended, UnrealTournament, TombRaiderSeries, Suspended [MyUnhappyGames] WorldOfWarcraft {boring} [Born] 1964
  33. Feb 17, 2012
    I really, truly mean a 10. This is not a score to cancel out any other score or some misplaced sense of duty to id. I really had a degree of enjoyment with this game that surprised me, especially seeing most people's reaction. Yes, the textures are blurry up close. This is a game that appeals to an art museum perspective, that is, from a distant viewpoint for the greatest reaction. I find so little to actually complain about- you have perfect fps controls, excellent driving, a toolset of different combat options that remind me of half life 2 or crysis or bioshock in terms of open-ended-ness. The enemy animations are so far beyond most games it's not worth comparing. The plot/narrative characterization won't win any awards, but the environmental storytelling will. It is its own character and it succeeds on many levels. That aesthetic direction appeals to my personal sensibilities more than others, clearly. And that's fine. I played this on the hardest difficulty right off the bat, and i think it's the right decision for an advanced pc fps gamer. (i am by no means a CS fiend or any kind of savant, btw)...............Just enjoy it for what it is/was....we probably won't see a return to the universe of rage's wasteland. Collapse
  34. Feb 12, 2012
    Excellent game, I understand there were some problems around launch time with bad drivers (AMD is usually pretty bad when it comes to new games right?) and I believe also a lack of options in the video settings.

With those problems fixed now, along with other fixes and a few good patches the game is really pretty amazing. Has kept me fully enthralled over the last few days playing both
    single and multiplayer modes.

Really just a very underrated game here, the gunplay is so satisfying, it makes the gunplay in games like bf3 or mw3 feel 'soggy' if that makes sense. Sort of like the difference between typing on a nice high quality mechanical keyboard VS typing on an old beaten up cheapo dell rubber dome keyboard.

The story was a little lacking, and I would have liked to see a few more rpg-ish elements here and there, but overall it is just a blast, from the shooting to the driving to just being really fully sucked in to the world by the astoundingly good graphics (the sky in particular is really just amazing).
  35. Feb 4, 2012
    Rage brought me back to fps. Really. Its really fun straight forward shooter with some rpg elements. The shooting which is the most important part of FPS feels really great for each weapon. The animations and reactions on bullet hits are amazing. Long time I have not enjoyed fps so much. This is truly old scool shooter with some up to date elements. I didi not fall for the racing segments, but Its nice addition. The detail of grpahics is absolutly stunning. Simply I really like thi game. The biggest issue for me is why they did not implement some classic DM,TDM arenas for multiplayer and stick only to racing. Hopefully the will in future, because with that good handled shooting it would be a waste. Expand
  36. Feb 3, 2012
    Just amazing. If it´s a copy or not from other games i don´t know, but note, many industries does that, all fps are doom clone =p It´s too hard to find a new game that runs up to 30fps in a intel HD 3000, congratilations id software, you didn´t disapoint me with rage... People talk they pass in one day this game, only if they havent social lifes and spend all the day in the game, i´ve passed more than 3 weeks and didn´t complete tha game xd, and the bad part, i miss many things that i didn´t know =/, i´ll need to re-complete again for the full complete mission.

Again, congratilations id software for again i receive from you the best from you!!!
  37. Jan 12, 2012
    RAGE is really awesome!!! That's especially true for old-school shooter fans like Doom and Quake. What RAGE brings is, the best shooting experience ever among all FPS games on the market. Through out the game, you will encounter all type of enemies, each ones have their own unique fighting style. Don't think you can hide around the corner or run along the path to make your enemies chasing you around like other sissy shooting games. The mutants will climb, crawl or jump right at your face; the Authorities with organize a squad and tactically attack you; and there are huge monsters will blast the hell out of whatever you are hiding behind. As a result you will find yourself in a tight situation where your eyes have to concentrate on every bullet, you mind has to think about every solution and your mouth has to cry **** **** **** while running like a little rat.

Graphically, the game looks great. RAGE comes with the newest idTech 5, and surely it doesn't disappoint us. The world looks very detailed and the characters are incredibly life-like. In terms of character animation, no game out there is better than RAGE at the moment. The animations are applied for every joint possible, as you can easily see the movement of the character's tongue when saying certain word, the curve of the finger when he press his hand against the table or the movement of the enemies when they are hit on their legs. All animations are extremely unique, like, when someone says "up town", he actually points his finger to the sky, make me wonder could be a real person is talking with me. Everything makes the world of RAGE beautiful and lively. There are some technical issues with RAGE, though, like texture popping or sometimes the game doesn't run at all. Update the game to the newest version as well as update your VGA driver will certainly help.

On the other hand, RAGE is still a FPS game with RPG elements so it may disappoint those fans of RPG shooters like Borderland and Fallout. The open world of RAGE doesn't really help much for exploring or doing side-quests. The Wasteland is rather like a lite version of Twisted Metal where you can drive from place to place and shoot other vehicles. There isn't an option for you to level up your skill and the story is pretty simple and plain, so if you are looking for a RPG shooter, look elsewhere. In a nutshell, RAGE is a game for true FPS hardcore players who are so bored with all "modern" FPS nowadays.
  38. Jan 8, 2012
    Amazing graphics. It left the deepest impression of all the games I've ever seen.
    A good story.
    Excellent gameplay in the spirit of Doom 3 and Quake 4.
    Great game!
  39. Dec 31, 2011
    PS to my last review. Whoever said they finished this game in a day is flat out LYING. There is no way someone can finish this game in a day. There are so many side missions, racing mission, and main missions it's impossible. This is a great game with great graphics, amazing sound design and voice acting, and tons of play time. There's even replay value as there are tons of side missions you might not get to the first time.

A run this game in FULL RESOLUTION and the graphics are beautiful and smooth as butter on my Intel I-5, Windows 7 64 Bit PC. I'm using the GTX560 card with 16 GB of ram installed. This game can only use up to 4GB as it's only the 32 bit version. Don't listen to the haters and Fake Negative Reviews by competition. This game is fun, offers a large mix of activities and is done very well.
  40. Dec 28, 2011
    I was enraged with this game at the beginning: buggy graphics, linear plot and gameplay, repetitive levels. But more I played, more I enjoyed it. RAGE has an atmosphere that was always an essential part of id software's games: mesmerizing, captivating.
  41. Dec 25, 2011
    Old classic shooter!!! I donâ
  42. Dec 24, 2011
    I am several hours into the game and I am having a blast. Yes, it's linear but so was Quake I and Quake II and those were great games. It is not Call of Duty linear where you simply need to run to a checkpoint in order to stop infinite respawn of bad guys. I do not experience any technical issues, with AMD Radeon HD5770 and 12.1 Catalyst drivers. Gameplay wise it is very similar to my favorite Borderlands. Shooting wise it's perfect, just like you would expect from the creators of Quake. I believe the game is not fairly treated by a lot of gamers who simply expected it to be something else. Expand
  43. Dec 2, 2011
    I love this game best ever played all I can say :). I would not change anything about this game it also a lot to it and so much to do and the graphics are well detailed and the gameplay is outstanding.
  44. Nov 29, 2011
    Entretenido juego FPS con un poco de rol, limitado un poco por los problemas con el hardware y los controladores, pero bastante entretenido, con una banda sonora muy conseguida y un guión que a mi me ha gustado bastante. Lo arreglaron bastante con el parche que sacaron poco después del juego y el que viene ahora el 6 de diciembre esperemos que lo mejore del todo. Muy buenas las carreras con el bugy, pero al juego le faltan muchas horas de desarrollo, Carmack se tiene que poner las pilas si no quiere perder a los jugadores de PC para siempre, veremos a ver que nos prepara con Doom 4 y esperemos que no sea otro cutreport de consola. Expand
  45. Nov 21, 2011
    super jeux qui nous change des séries cod ou battlefield je le recomande fortement pour l'aventure.
    certes il y a peut d'arme, mais sa reste jouissif.
  46. Nov 18, 2011
    Had to register and post here because I know a smear campaign when I see one. So many ratings of "0" from people one user review total on this site. So, this is my first review here too, because I feel pretty strongly about this game. I thoroughly enjoyed Rage. However, yes, the graphics were bugged on release. Carmac is quoted as saying that the wrong GPU drivers were available on release day and the whole situation was a "custer****". Sucks to be at the blunt end of that bureaucracy. I fixed mine on release day with a few easy .cfg tweaks but I don't expect everyone to be so patient. On the other hand I had a friend who got it who has a more updated PC that had no issues whatsoever. Since then id has patched the game and AFAIK everything is peachy now.

The game itself is amazing. Can't say how many "omfg this is incredible" moments I had throughout. This is really a work of interactive digital art. The design of the world is insanely cool. It's so fun. If I could say one bad thing about the game itself, the ending was depressing, mostly because the game was over and I wanted to play more. Took me about 14-15 hours and I think I did most of the side-missions. Time for Nightmare mode and co-op I guess!

Pros: Animations and character detail (so cool to shoot someone and watch their frame react realistically). Pace of game is nicely split between car combat and FPS shooting. Crafting is cool, easy and fun (can't say that about any other game). Voice acting is really good. Overall art design is the best I have ever seen. Graphics are just insanely beautiful and lovingly crafted- this is one of the most unique and gorgeous worlds I've ever seen in a game.

Cons: Ending was very disappointing, not just because it meant the game was over but because the final boss didn't feel like a final boss at all to me. There is something of a cliffhanger at the end though. I am eagerly awaiting the chance to gobble up any DLC they release.

I loved Rage through and through and highly recommend giving it a shot. 10/10 for being a beautiful, fun, original, and developer-beloved work of art.
  47. Nov 11, 2011
    you guys are a bunch of short-bus tard-helmet-wearing idiots. this game's AH-MAY-ZINNNGGGG. I'm running it on my Dell Studio XPS laptop without a hitch. no frame-rate issues, no nada. The game is fun as hell and all kinds of eye-candy and the last time i checked basically ALL open-world FPS RPG's are all about "fetch-missions". Hell, Dead Island was one big fetch-mission with bugs and issues out the ass and STILL has replay value on par with the likes of Borderlands and New Vegas. Quit whining and get out of your Mom's basement once in a while you porkly neck-bearded basement-dwellers. xD xD xD Expand
  48. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game, fun, great shooter, very original, like no other game its like fallout but none of the picky stuff just all action and straight to the point. The reason it doesn't get 10 is because its too short. 18 hours game play roughly and that was on nightmare first time playing.
  49. Nov 9, 2011
    Runs great, looks great and puts a smile on my face. I tried the Fallout series and sorry to say they seemed a bit "slow" and clunky for me. This is what I expected of the FO Series. You have a way to move around a bit better in this one and although a bit over the top, the badguys seem to work out well in this. Come On..they are the makers of DoOM!.. I enjoyed finding the secret rooms and replay is a plus. They could have had a 10/10 just by adding a 16 player deathmatch to this roaming the whole map! ofcourse 64 player would be even better..:) Nice job ID..look forward to more patches and dlc for this one.. enjoyed it. Expand
  50. Nov 8, 2011
    Somewhat short but entertaining with excellent graphics. Did not run into any issues with the game at all and there is not much to complain about except the spawning buggies and that the game is fairly short.
  51. Nov 6, 2011
    If you liked Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands, you'll enjoy this game. I cannot understand where all of these negative, whiny reviews are coming from. I've not experienced a single bug, the graphics are awesome on my GeForce 260, and the game play is great. The enemies move so much better than in any other FPS I've played. Rage is to FPS enemies what Dawn of the Dead was to zombies. As critical as I am about game play, story lines, game mechanics, character models, etc, this game holds up on all fronts.

Note: Most of the ridiculously low reviews seem to be targeting Carmack specifically, as if these silly people are taking this game review personally. There is NO WAY this game deserves a 1 or 0 rating. Freaking Organ Trail doesn't deserve a 0 rating. I encourage you to ignore these ignorant people. Their idiotic reviews should be removed from this site.
  52. Nov 5, 2011
    had some screen rendering trouble at first but was able to fix with ati's rage performance driver fix, i recommend giving this game a second chance if you shelved it earlier, it's grown on me and I'd have to say it's my favorite iD game so far, world and characters are rendered beautifully and both FPS and car combat tasks are fun :o)
  53. Oct 31, 2011
    Over-hyped and under-delivered in the beginning but fun to play, for the most part. Most of the reviewers here haven't played past the first levels and/or haven't done the update. The driving in this game is great. The texture issue is still a problem for me occasionally, but looking past it, it is a really pretty game, with interesting characters and fun physics for off-road racing. The shooter aspect keeps throwing new and interesting weapons and scenarios. Some of the side missions are replays of previous main missions with different changes (like going through backwards with differently placed enemies), and that would normally be tedious, but the graphics are so good that I want to see it again. Each area has it's own design and distinct look: from the desert to the abandoned city to the new tech city. The only thing I dislike about this game is the mutants. The motion and AI is just too good for these guys, so good I'd say it's the hardest part of the game. Get the graphics update and play with it. You'll see that it really is the prettiest little shooter. It's not a summer blockbuster, but it has its own charm. Expand
  54. Oct 30, 2011
    No, there is no excuse for the fact that it had an(extremely) buggy PC release, especially on ATI cards. And it's also no excuse that, at launch, there were nearly NO visual options. And that even when they release a patch it still doesn't work properly. But still...
    Even though it's not as good as earlier ID software games, it's still pretty darned good.
    I think that the gunplay is good
    and statisfying, that the AI fluid(Wich is enhanced by gorgeous animations), and that the racing is... fine.

The gameplay is standard FPS/RPG stuff. You take quests in hub areas, then drive to the quest, shoot enemies in the quest area, and then head back to the hub. Really, don't see this as some big RPG-thing as Fallout or Borderlands: Rage is about fun. And fun is the thing I had.
    The only BIG issue I had gameplay&story wise(Besides the fact that the story is kind of lackluster), is the terrible ending. There is no boss whatsoever, you'll just be fighting enemies one second, and be watching the ending cutscene in the other.

There isn't much to say: You may like it, you may not. Long-time ID fans might be a bit dissapointed, but still, the gameplay is quite solid, and I had a blast.
    I'd buy it on a sale or when it drops to 20-30 euros/dollars, because due to the technical errors, it may not be worth your 50/60 dollars.
  55. Oct 28, 2011
    Terrific game and a fantastic new engine. Well worth your time and a must play for anyone who loves ids' past games, with great art direction and simple but very fun gameplay: just typical id. It's a shame that the PC release wasn't given more love but it's nothing a patch can't fix. For this reason I can't give it a 10 ...so id: please don't do this for Doom 4.
  56. Oct 23, 2011
    After a 18 hour, 100% competition playthrough, I finally beat this game. And it was truly amazing. This game does brink us back to the FUN shooter era, which was last seen in the good old Doom and Quake times. A variety of weapons, vehicles, sidequests, customization, gear and so on, keeps you going for a long time!
    But most importantly, the graphics and the game engine - IT IS
    PHENOMENAL! Stable 60 fps all the time on my 5870, while running a custom HD Ultra Settings mod, found on steam users forums. I bet from those 18 hours of my playthrough, 3 hours were spent walking and enjoying the game's environment and surroundings, they're breathtaking. A MUST BUY! Expand
  57. Oct 23, 2011
    id software brings back the fun to shooters PERIOD.
    Try playing the game for more then 30m and you'll see what I mean. The only complaint I have is that the story is pretty basic and some of the missions seem rather short, because they are really cool to play.
  58. Oct 23, 2011
    Please don't listen to all the bad reviews about this game! It wasn't the best game I've ever played but is definitely worth a playthrough. The graphics, gameplay, story, voice acting and everything else are good. I ran it with my ancient 9800 GT graphics card and a core 2 duo and have none of the performance issues people mentioned. I would give this game a 7.5 but since the game got so many negative reviews i'm giving it a 10. I suspect many of the negative reviews are from the same person with different accounts and idiots who have nothing better to do than complain about a decent game! Watch out for obsessive fans who are biased against a game before it has even been released. Expand
  59. Oct 22, 2011
    I would normally have given this game an 8, but it is getting such a bad rap that I had to give it a 10. The graphics are beautiful (just a little flickering), the game play is great, and the game detail is really good. This game reminds me of Fallout 3. It is not as open-ended, you do not have as much freedom in the game as you do in Fallout, and Rage is more of a first person shooter than a role playing shooter like Fallout. I felt the game was worth the price (of course I think Fallout 3 is a real bargain). I had a little difficulty with the anti-aliasing, had to set it at 2 to keep the game from crashing occasional. I played it through on the average difficulty in 33 hours, and I will be playing it again at a higher level of difficulty. Expand
  60. Oct 22, 2011
    I don't know why everyone is giving negative reviews to this game. Sure it had texture ripping and popping at the start but that was fixed within the week of it's release, couple of days even. The game looks great, some of the best graphics and attention to detail I've seen in a game to date. To review that game for what it is I think you need to take a look at the developer id. The games they have always put out have been straight up FPS games that push the quality of graphics forward. They have never put out a game with a solid story but they are moving towards that. The combat parts of this game are very solid and are what its all about. I can see what id is trying to do, they are trying to make a more well rounded game not just a straight up shooter. This missed the mark by a bit but they aren't too far off. The story isn't the strongest and you should be able to customize your guns to your own liking, that's why I only gave it a 9. The game really shows me the potential for games coming out of id after this. The game engine is there, the graphics and level of detail are defiantly there, they just need to work on the story and RPG elements a little bit and they will have one of the most popular titles out. Bring on RAGE 2! Expand
  61. Oct 21, 2011
    It's truly sad to see such a great game destroyed by totally "lack-of-experience" review. Seeing a guy noting the game "0/10" and claiming on his review (two days before the official release) that's the game's finish is awful and that the game will never be patched anyway is really frustrating.

This is a good game and we all know it. The frustration due to textures glitches and
    graphical issues leaded to a proper stoning, but this game worth the shot. And you definitively can't note it 0. It's nervous, fun, and adrenaline-full. The exteriors are gorgeous and the character design is amazing. Sounds and game sensations are really awesome. It's a **** old-school shooter with diverse addendum on gameplay and it's probably the best FPS I've played in a while. Expand
  62. Oct 21, 2011
    One of Bethesda worst Game ever. First, Rage is a very bad console port. Textures look like (crap) and all those famous pop-ins...hilarious! second, the story, this is what i have to say: Really??? Third, with so huge game (20GB), the game can be finished in 8 hours doing main: Really??
    Why adding open world if there isn't much to explore???? Every hour passed by, the game will get more
    and more boring...
    With all those crashes, bugs, glitches, Ai broken, bla bla bla, ID didn't gave 1minute attention on the PC platform. Thank you!!! You are actually making the game on a dam Computer and when it comes out, it comes like **** If this is going to happend on Doom 4, be prepared to not hit 1million sales, why? Because Doom was PC exclusive, and this (Rage) was one of the biggest disapointments for us. I hope this won't happend with Doom 4!!!

This is who we PC gamers see it: And those bad sales on the PC platforms, please, don't blame the piracy, blame on that game of yours which is worse than Brink. And Brink was really bad.
    But ID is the real criminal on that one. Next, pay more attention on the PC platform, there are more than 1billion PC gamers. If a game is good, it will surely pay off, i swear!!!!
  63. Oct 20, 2011
    A graphical powerhouse, Rage is, so far, easily the most technically advanced video game thus far. The gameplay, both the shooting and the driving, is top notch. The enemy animation system makes surviving every encounter feel like a miracle. It's 15-20 hour length easily eclipses most shooters. The story, though a bit sparse, is competent, and never detracts from the game as a whole. The coop is nicely integrated into the game's backstory, and is an absolute blast. Once you get the right drivers and enable the right options, this is a shooter of the highest order. Another triumph from id Software. Expand
  64. Oct 19, 2011
    This game does not deserve this low score.
    The first day was a disaster but after they fixed it it runs like a rocket.
    Is an action FPS, the best action FPS I played ever in my 20 years of gaming.
    All problems were solved quickly.
    Awesome graphics, sounds, game play.
    Really RAGE does not deserve this pain score. Too sad.
  65. Oct 19, 2011
    I registered here just to defend this game. I'm a long-time id software fan going right back to Doom, but I'm not a fanboy. I hated Quake 3 Team Arena and Enemy Territory for instance. Anyway, I had to buy this game to see the new engine and see what Cormack and co have been up to. Initially I was fairly disappointed by buggy graphics, texture creep and screen tearing, but the recent patches to the game and updated video drivers have essentially solved these problems. I'm now getting a beatiful graphical experience with no tearing, minimal texture pop-up and a solid 60FPS. (Q6600 @3GHz, 560Ti 2GB VRAM, 4GB RAM, 1280x1024).

The gameplay is reasonably simplistic, post-apocalyptic, quest driven FPS/RPG. However, it is certainly cut from the same cloth as Doom and Quake. I constantly find myself smiling away as I circle-strafe round mutants fragging left, right and centre. I didn't realise how much I miss the action-arcade style of FPS since everything's gotten a bit too realistic and creepy-creepy, one-shot-one-kill. This is nothing like that and all the better for it.

The driving elements are again fairly simplistic, but well executed and they add value.

This is the most fun I've had on my PC for quite some time. The graphics are definitely next-gen and the bugs are largely fixed (on my setup at least). I think it's a shame this game had such a troubled launch. It deserves to do well.
  66. Oct 19, 2011
    This whole game is another finger in the face of PC gamers. SHAME on the journalists who gave this a good score. Linear, drab, predictable console port. A poor Borderlands update. I want my money back!
  67. Oct 17, 2011
    The texture issue isn't a big problem -- ID Games wrote the engine well enough that it doesn't slow down when textures pop. Also, they already fixed it to some extent and will patch it more. The game mechanic and gameplay, the art and animation, the voice acting, everything about the game is awesome. I wish it had more hours of gameplay to it, but I'm finding that if you look you can find a lot of side missions (Many hours worth, easily.) I don't see why it's getting such a bad score - I absolutely love the game! Does a game simply have to be made by valve to get a good review? I don't get it. Expand
  68. Oct 17, 2011
    RAGE had a rough start on PC, but most of the technical issues have been fixed by the first patch that was out within a week of RAGE's release. Plus, the latest GPU drivers delivered fixes for RAGE too. I for one have no technical problems with the game.
    People need to understand that this is id's new engine. Despite it being cross-platform, you need a powerful PC to run the game on
    maximum settings. This is not id Tech 3. It's id Tech 5! So you might as well think about upgrading your system if you have an obsolete graphics card and/or processor.
    People also need to understand that nowadays almost every PC game has some consolized characteristics. This is inevitable. If you develop a game for all platforms at once, you have to appeal to a mixed audience. You need to make decisions. So keep that in mind.
    I've been a long-time dedicated fan of id Software's FPS creations, but I admit I had doubts when they announced this game. I didn't think they would be able to let go of the usual formula to create something different with RAGE. Then I started to play it yesterday, and I just simply got chained to the game for 8 hours straight, and the next day I finished it in another long session. To be honest, I already feel that I'm going to play through it again. This is pretty unusual, because it doesn't happen too often to me.
    First of all, the visuals. I was stunned by how game looks - in a good way. I understand that some of the textures are low-res at the moment, but I am fine with that, because what's important in the game is very well detailed. By the way, Carmack just promised a patch on his twitter, that's is going to alleviate this issue. The thing is, if you look at the game as a whole, there is no other FPS right now that has such looks and all these extra post-processing features, while running at a stable frame rate of 60 without any hiccups. So, before you judge RAGE, play through it and you'll know what I'm talking about. And the content is just endless. You'll know why it takes up 22GB on your HDD. It's size is so huge because the art of the game is exceptional. You can clearly see that every character, area and architecture of the camps and towns has been well thought-out and carefully designed, modeled and built by professionals. The atmosphere changes all the time while keeping you constantly entertained. You can find so many types of characters in it, such as wastelanders, mutants, steampunk people, hi-tech freaks, giant monsters, buggies! And so much more. I'm not going to spoil anything, feel free to explore yourself.
    Last, but not least... the gameplay. I was so happy that it plays just like Quake did (yes, you can even strafe-jump and bunny hop while sprinting, lolz ;p). The movement, the aiming and the shooting is exactly the same, but it's combined with today's trendy FPS features - such as regenerating health, ADS, grenades and equipments (the Wingstick and the Drone own everything). It also has some signs of RPG, such as inventory, looting, crafting, and NPC interaction. They're similar to Fallout 3, but in a very simplified way. I think there was no harm done by that. It's already a lot of extra, compared to what we are used to in id's games. The bottom line is that all these things combined humiliate every other fast-paced action FPS available right now. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention the Buggy-game part. Basically RAGE is a 2in1 game. The racer part feels like a separate game integrated into it, although it fits just fine. RAGE wouldn't be itself without it.
    My only problem was the difficulty. On the most difficult Nightmare setting the game was no challenge for me. It wasn't a question how I finish it... the only question was: when? Here comes the other problem: it was over kind of suddenly. These are the only reasons I'm giving it a 9, and not a 10. Simply put: play it!
  69. Oct 17, 2011
    This game has some of the most impressive visuals I've ever seen in a game. I'm playing the PC version. Even up close the textures don't look that bad to me, I don't know if it's different on consoles. But I've had my breath taken away more times in this game than any other I can remember, even Uncharted 3. So much of my play time I've spent just standing and drinking in the incredible visuals. It's hugely pleasurable just to look at the environments. Perhaps it's partly the use of megatextures, but it's also the incredible amount of work which has gone into modelling and designing the environments. There's so much detail, so much variation, it looks painstaking, the amount of unique geometry, and the unique texturing on every surface, it's overwhelming, the visuals are incredible, I love them. So much detail in every scene, more than I'm used to seeing in games. This game is a real achievement, I think the developers deserve recognition and accolades for the design and the technology of this game, it's amazing.

It's also the artistry of the designers. A lot of times I'm standing looking at a scene and what I'm looking at looks like a piece of concept art rather than in-game graphics. it's incredible. And I can turn around and see another equally impressive scene.

For the record, I had no real technical problems with this game on my PC with an Nvidia card, although I guess I bought it after a patch had been released. The only issue I had at first was screen tearing but that was fixed with a simple launch option added with Steam and now the game is perfect. Great framerate (Nvidia GTX 560.

As for gameplay, it's pretty fun, I very much enjoy the shootouts, particularly with bandits. The game is of course very derivative, there seem to have been so many post-apocalyptic RPG-esqe FPSes. The closest comparison for me is with Borderlands although of course there are many similarities with Fallout 3 (though maybe they started work on Rage before those games came out?). But it doesn't bother me really as I'm finding this game more fun and immersive than both of those games. I could do without the vehicle combat, and the racing, to me they're kind of superfluous, I don't find the vehicle combat that enjoyable, I prefer the FPS combat, but then at the same time there's nothing wrong with it and the racing is a bit fun I guess, just not so much as the FPS combat which is great. Also I would've liked to be able to use a first-person view in vehicles.

Anyway, for the graphics and design alone I give this game 9 out of 10, the developers should definitely be rewarded and encouraged as much as possible as this game is an incredible experience due to the amazing environments, the unique texturing and the time spent on the masses of unique level geometry, and the design and layout of the levels, and the artistic backgrounds. It's incredible-looking and great fun to play. Not a complete masterpiece but a damn good game, worth £30 to me.

(I took the first bit of this review from a comment I posted on a forum).
  70. r3t
    Oct 17, 2011
    Gave it a 10 to compensate for the flood of negative scores. My actual score would be an 8, the game is fun and beautiful, once you get it to run right. Next to technological issues, my gripes are fetchquests and shallow characters and story. But when shooting your way through beautifully rendered environments battling cool enemies that are wonderfully animated and chatter back and forth among themselves, the shortcomings are quickly forgiven.
    So it's a good game, such a shame to see the backlash id software is getting from the internet communities. Seems like they just had a bunch of bad luck, hope the game still does well for them.
  71. Oct 15, 2011
    Very good game. Shame it has so many bugs to attract such negative feedback. Luckily I hanven't any since launch, plus the game is running at 1080p at steady 60fps (vsync forced on driver) with all the extra cfg config. to keep textures always on max. Ppl compaining about blurry textures... yes they are... if you keep "hugging wals" or crawling on the ground with your face down... but who actualy play a game like that? By the normal distance you keep from textures as you normaly play, all you see is a razor sharp, very well texturixed game. Gameplay is the generic FPS slyle but is very good. AI is very predictable but that is the same with every game I ever played. I'm not commenting about the storyline on this since I didn't finished the game yet, but I'm liking it so far. But many ppl here are complaining that the they can't run the game and that every this and that are crap including the story... How can they know if the storyline is bad or not if they can't even run the game? After reading a lot of this nonsense reviews you start to wonder how many people came here to bash the game without even having bought it, played it or even seen someone else playing it. Expand
  72. Oct 15, 2011
    Rage

I should probably state that I am not fan of shooters in general, in my opinion the problem this genre suffers is repetitiveness, in most of this games you mainly walk around shooting people with different weapons killing them in different ways ( which for me is not very amusing thing to do, unless it is an online experience). Sometimes a shooter can be made bearable or even good by
    the storyline it has, however dialogues and cut scenes in shooters more often than not are just there to fill the space between different levels and some of players donâ Expand
  73. Oct 15, 2011
    Impressive game with impressive graphics ! The gameplay is fast and reactive ! The story is great and immersive ! There is some little bug with texture loading but it's all. I've two GTX460 OC with an Phenom II x6 1075T and 8Go Ram DDR3... and the game run between 40-60FPS at 1920*1080 with all graphics to the max and without SLI... For those said that's the game is unplayable, maybe you need the last nVidia or ATI drivers (try beta)... I've give a 10 because of the the sad rewiews made by others. Expand
  74. Oct 13, 2011
    Shocked by all the low reviews simply because of driver performance issues! This is a fantastic game, if you managed to wait a few days for NVIDIA & ATI to release the correct drivers, which for me at least made the game run perfectly smooth; getting past that the game looks and plays great! The game play feels really solid. I love all of the interesting weapons and ammo types. Yes, the weapon selection uses a console-ized interface, but like most all PC games I simply used the # keys/mouse scroll, so it didn't really matter. The sounds and voice acting are top notch with good crisp realistic sounds and excellent quality voice acting. The writing and story itself were less than perfect. Lots of details left unanswered and the characters although they are voiced well don't really get involved much so you have no reason to really care much about them. However, that being said I don't play FPS games looking for award winning stories. What RAGE should and does do well is Shoot! Lots of shooting, lots of fun weapons, AI that didn't feel completely retarded like most FPS games. The driving portion handles well even using a KB, although I opted to use a gamepad at times. The mini games also were really enjoyable. I played quite a bit of the card game. Overall this game is severely under-appreciated, but I am glad I waited because I totally enjoyed it. Side note: I spent about 18 hours for a full play through. Expand
  75. Oct 13, 2011
    Ok, I will preface this review by stating that I've not played the PC version, but have played both console versions. I bought it originally for PS3, and the first thing I noticed when emerging from the Ark and looking around the world was that it was beautiful. Unquestionably, a gorgeous looking gameworld, but when I then turned left to exit the gangway, I noticed something Instantly off-putting: The textures of many close-up walls and surfaces were dropping in about a half-second late, which just looked cheap. I played the game through the first mission and returned to the quest-giver (voiced, I beleive, by John Goodman) and noticed even more late texture dropping. After playing the first mission I could tell the game was something special, the physics, the feel of the gun, the enemy AI, all brilliant. But the texture issue was seriously souring my experience. So, I called up gamestation and asked them to put me a 360 copy aside. I went down, traded it in, came back and started afresh. Now the texture problem was barely noticeable. I only noticed it at all cos i was looking for it, but even then, its very rarely an issue. So I started playing through, and as some other reviews point out, the first hour or two are a little slow. This isn't such a bad thing though, since alot of it is tutorial and meant to break you in slowly, revealing some of the games mechanics ang light-RPG elements. When you do get into a scuffle though, the game comes alive with a vengeance. The weapons feel heavy and deadly and they sound and feel superb. You can tell this game was made by the godfathers of the FPS genre. When I got my hands on the 12 gauge shotgun a few missions in, I was in FPS heaven! The enemy AI is brilliantly unpredictable. Enemies will scale and vault scenery as they rush you, they'll retreat in fear as you waste their friends, they'll drop to the floor as bullets whizz over their heads, showing a real sense of self-preservation. They'll flank you from all sides given the opportunity and they never do the same thing twice. And it all looks brilliant. The graphics are easily the best of a game this size, rivalled only by the likes of Killzone 3 and Crysis 2, but in a very open-world environment. The facial animation of the NPCs, while not quite to the standards of LA Noire, are incredibly life-like and convincing. The character models look great, too, just like everything else in the gameworld. There's quite a lot of RPG style looting and purchasing of weapons and upgrades, making gadgets from schematics and such like. The vehicle sections, used for getting around the world between missions and for race events, are actually huge fun and work very well indeed. You can trick-out your vehicles with new turbos, tyres, spike-wheels and projectiles as well as a fresh coat of paint to add a little personality. Sadly, you can't sell your old vehicles when you get a new one, which is an oversight in my opinion. If you die, theres a defibilator which you can choose to shock you back to life via a cool QTE minigame, which will also shock and stun any enemies stood over you. I did find the side quests unimpressive though, revisiting old areas and battling similar enemies seemed rather uninspired. Besides that though, the game rocks. Hard. I find it shocking that anyone could award this game with anything less than a 9, as its looks and gameplay come together brilliantly. Those giving it 1s ands 0s on here seem to have been playing on PC from what I read, but I think they're still being a little harsh, as the gameplay itself is worthy of far more than that, even without the great-looks of the great-looking 360 version. Fallout/Borderlands fans should enjoy this game for the setting, and FPS fans will love the game for the SHOOTING! Almost everything in the game is handled really well. The story is functional, if not amazingly ingrossing, and the environments are all stunning. The gunplay is fiirst rate and the enemy AI devilishly clever. Ignore the naysayer reviewers, they're just trying to be controversial. It's by no means perfect but it is damned good. The minigames and sidequests, along with the story are the games weakest link, but they're not why you'll buy RAGE. You'll come to RAGE for the shooting and you won't leave disapointed. Expand
  76. Oct 13, 2011
    I think there is a bot spamming low scores in here. I mean check their accounts, the whole time it's only one review count on their profile, do not think this game is bad because of a spamming bot.
  77. Oct 13, 2011
    game is phenomenal... defientely oozes with content, gameplay, modes, graphics. Do everything the game has to offer and it will last you 20+ hours easily. Some of the best vehicles, enemies, AI, and weapons/invetory system i've ever seen.

MP vehicle challenges are a blast, and coop is very challenging.

10/10. Great job id & bethesda!
  78. Oct 12, 2011
    Let me start by prefacing this review with the following: 1) The overwhelming negative reviews on this game were on the day of the launch, which doesn't provide enough time to truly get immersed in any game. 2) Many people refer to issues they had with their graphics cards. Personally, I'm not foolish enough to believe that the PC market for games is nearly as standardized and bug-free as consoles because people have vast variances in their hardware and therefore, their drivers as well. People should understand that when a software developer (in this case id) comes out with an entirely new engine, there are bound to be issues at the launch.

As for the game itself here's what was done right:
    1) The voice acting was top notch.
    2) The variety in environments and their unique nature is astounding (literally no two places look alike).
    3) Combat is visceral and engaging. You must employ cover at times and there is no one way to win a battle.
    4)The music in the game sets the tone beautifully with each area. Truly wish I could download it somewhere.
    5) The graphics, despite the complaining of others, are to put it lightly, stunning. Environments look extremely realistic. The outdoors comes to life in the wasteland. And all of this, without the most minor skip in processing. (I'm using an Nvidia GTS 360M w/ 1GB... That's right, I'm using a laptop and I have no issues, why others complained so hard is beyond me.)

Things they could have improved on:
    1) Boss fights could have used a little more effort. Now don't get me wrong, they were great and all, but I can only think of two actual, true boss fights in the game (Definition of boss fight: a specialized fight between a unique enemy and the player).
    2) Vehicle driving was fine for the most part, but I have an issue with any game that makes me steer with button presses rather than the more fluid motions of a mouse.

That being said, I believe the issues I had with the game are minor and didn't make the game more difficult or annoying to play, but simply that my preferences for games weren't maxed out in this title. Can't wait for downloadable content.
  79. Oct 12, 2011
    There is no other game that is visually as stunning as this. There is literally so much stunning detail throughout the whole game, that as an ARTIST, it is easy to see that a lot of care has gone into making every aspect of the game look unique and play fluidly. From a gamer perspective, it is an improvement over every other game ID has produced, including Doom 3. RAGE lets the player make his or her own choices, earn your upgrades, and build your engineering schematics... while it may be clear that it has drawn inspiration from other games like Borderlands and Fallout, it is obvious that they did it better than any other developer. I have seen and read loads of bad reviews of RAGE, only to find them non helpful or misleading. At launch, the game had its flaws, but that has been a growing trend with all types of games for PC. In this day and age, nothing is perfect, so you should be happy when a developer like ID puts so much effort into a game like this and gives you an experience you wont get from any other. If you weren't happy with the technical glitches the game had at launch, then your review is meaningless, thats all I have to say. Expand
  80. Oct 11, 2011
    This is by no means the buggy mess that the average user score would suggest. Infact apart from the vsync issue(easily fixed) this game runs great and looks great on nvidia hardware. No lockups at all. Dont take it too seriously and its a great gaming experience, alot more fun than recent tripple AAA shooters. Loads of variety means it does'nt get repetitive, In fact much better fun than Quake which I played in 1996.... Expand
  81. Oct 11, 2011
    Great game. Although the negative comments aimed at the launch/compatibilites issues are fair enough, that is where the bad press should end for this game. It looks stunning and is great fun. I love the chopping and changing between driving and shooting - it keeps both fresh. Animations are great, environments are great. Graphically any sacrifices made (eg. dynamic lighting) are more than compensated by the variety of the world. For me, after ironing out early problems that were frustrating, like texture pop in and low res, the game is scary smooth and feels really well put together. The reviews are only half the story, as long as your machine runs it well, it is a 9/10. But I am giving it 10. Expand
  82. Oct 11, 2011
    Once again i want to point out that the majority of the low scores for this game is due to people not being able to play the game cause of their old hardware.

If you have a good computer (read: new hardware) and it still does not run any good they are patching the game and there are several fixes that you can apply to be able to run the game properly.

Stop trolling really and do
    something about it yourself, buy new hardware, update the game and drivers, apply fixes, there are so many ways you can improve your gaming experience instead of giving the game a low score cause you are lazy.

The game is fantastic, read my previous review for more information, currently playing the DLC which i find to be rather different from what i expected.

All in all a fun game, if you have issues solve them, don't be a idiot.
  83. Oct 10, 2011
    Looks sick and runs great on a 560 GTX. Had no problems with installation and getting it to run out of the box. Except the fact that I had to have an internet connection hooked up to steam, blah. Guns feels good and the artwork is amazing. 4 hours into the game and I can't wait to play more and find out more clues about whats going on. I wish I could tweak the texture res because I know my PC can do better. Lastly, I am convinced the Art Directors of Borderlands and Rage are brothers. Expand
  84. Oct 10, 2011
    Out of the box, this game is horrid at best. Once drivers are updated and a few tweaks made to FOV, VSync, and texture pop-in (who thought THAT was a good idea?), the game really shines. I am thoroughly impressed with the graphics and the atmosphere. It's like Borderlands but better. Granted, Borderlands has it's merits, but the fact that this game creates a similar world in sometimes photo-realistic quality bears accolades. Overall, don't listen to the naysayers. Despite the fact that this was designed around console, the optimization, quality of graphics, and framerate stability is something to be admired by the entire of the PC community. And some of the most-frightening and intense moments I've experienced in a game since HL2. Expand
  85. Oct 10, 2011
    I purchased RAGE for PC after the patch and latest nVidia drivers came out. I'm having a lot of fun with this game and zero technical problems. id software has brought their classic shooter style into the modern generation. They must have some great artists on the team. NPCs have a lot of character and style. Very highly polished. The cities provide a nice break from the constant action of previous games. Driving is fun and rewarding. There is a good range of melee and distance fighting. Graphics are sometimes stunning and sometimes a blurry mess. Textures are crap up close, but this only detracts occasionally from the game. This is one of those games I find myself thinking about when I can't be playing. There is really nothing like this game with mix of quest-giver filled cities, classic FPS action, racing, and vehicle combat. Expand
  86. Oct 10, 2011
    All of these ATI users are coming here bashing Rage when it's ATI at fault, not id. Blame yourself for buying an ATI for gaming purposes, then go blame ATI for not getting their act together. Thousands of Nvidia users like myself have been playing Rage since day one without a single issue. I'm on my second play through and it's been a blast! How can you ATI users review a game and give it a 0 when you haven't even played it yet?! The gunplay is top notch. Weapons are interesting but familiar, but the ammo additions are pretty neat. You also get some secondary weapons that are really cool like EMP grenades, wingsticks (which are like a boomerang but decapitates, sentry bots, and turrets. The racing was a lot of fun and typically I hate racing games - but in Rage it took me back to the early Blizzard days of Rock 'n Roll Racing. I'll def continue to race in the multiplayer. The story isn't as deep as say Fallout 3, but then again this is not an RPG. Rage is a shooter. It's not supposed to have a deep story to satisfy roleplayers. However, I didn't see anyone giving COD4 a 0 cause it has a generic story. Basically this game is getting a bad wrap because of the ATI driver issue, which is in no way id's fault. Nvidia users are playing the game just fine and many of us are enjoying it very much so. If you are an Nvidia user I highly recommend you try the game. Give it a fair shake cause it really does rock. Just keep in mind it is a shooter at heart, not an RPG. For you ATI users out there, I recommend you go buy an Nvidia card first and foremost so you can stop blaming the game devs for ATI's inability to develop decent drivers. Then I recommend you try actually playing Rage before you review the game. Expand
  87. Oct 10, 2011
    Smooth, nice graphic, good shooting and racing sensations,good sound effects and great characters. It's a fun game, and giving it a zero note just because of a few bad textures and some bugs is not very clever.
  88. Oct 9, 2011
    This game is FANTASTIC!! Works for me flawlessly. It is fluid, amazing graphics, good story (interesting post-apocalyptic setting), really cool characters (their face, animation, gestures --- personality!), and an amazing level of detail!! ...the Wasteland, and the settlements live and breathe.... ...and it is such a pleasure to play........ It is a really cool id game. A credible successor to Doom. ...maybe not as revolutionary, as Doom was back then, but still, Rage is an absolutely massive FPS!!!! :))) GO GET SOME!!!! Expand
  89. Oct 9, 2011
    Ignore the haters. This game is like doom 3 and fallout 3 had a baby, with all the benefits and none of the flaws. Times a damned thousand. The graphics, guns, sounds, and even story and game mechanics are slick, dangerous, fast, furious, and explosive. You basically go on a badass rampage of manliness through various manly environments, destroying extremely terrifying or messed up foes. BUY IT IMMEDIATELY YOU INSECTS. Expand
  90. Oct 9, 2011
    Perfect game for me, The really like shooter from id software. Graphic are really good, probably one of the best game this year. The sound is good too. I wait to see next game created with that engine.
  91. Oct 9, 2011
    Totally don't agree there ! On my pc the game look very good (and i'm a video game artist). The engine is fast 60 fps everytime. The steam patch of this morning is the saviour !

Thanks ID ! The ghost town and authority cell are just Id style ! I'm loving it !

I'm really waitting for the HD texture pack ! This while bring 1 point more from 9 to 10 by my side.
  92. Oct 9, 2011
    After spending a fair amount of time with configuration files and creating cache folders for RAGE I ended up with a game that runs more smoothly than any other I have had on my PC with a stunning visual style that deserves great praise to be heaped upon the art team at ID.
    So, the textures are a bit blurry at times, especially close up. That's to be expected with a cross-platform title
    like this. It's the sheer amount of detail in every part of the environs and the staggering variety that lifts this game visually head and shoulders above anything seen before. No two areas a the same and I struggled to notice any repeat textures used in most games to cover large areas. The devil is certainly in the details here because the world comes to life on the screen.
    This is all helped by some of the best sound quality I have ever heard. 5.1 surround sound is a minimum requirement in my humble opinion if you want to get the best from this game's solid audio. The voice acting is also of a very good quality, but possibly not the best I have heard.
    The writing is okay, but nothing mind blowing. It tells a good story without too many frills.
    The gameplay mechanics are solid and fun, which, at the end of the day, is what a game should be. The racing is frantic and visually breathtaking with the epic surroundings flying by at breakneck speeds and still making you feel in total control of your vehicle.
    The A.I. Isn't the best but there is some variety, no-matter what some people say. The mutants basically run at you but the bandits leap about trying to get in close for a personal kill. Other enemies use the arsenal at their disposal to great effect and draw you out of a hiding spot with a well thrown grenade whilst others may well blow themselves to smithereens with a stupid fumble. Personally I think it's all part of the fun.
    Yes, RAGE had some major technical problems on release but they were mainly driver issues and a distinct lack of graphical options, which has now been largely rectified by a patch.
    There is so much bitterness on the Internet about the issues and some truly over the top reactions by people who really ought to get some anger management classes that I have to add that if you have patience, update the game (and perhaps use your own configuration files) and forget about this ridiculous "perfect game" expecationitis illness that many people seem to have you will have an absolute blast. It's also a rather sizeable game for a shooter which adds value for money compared to other 5 hour shooter.
    RAGE is a solid shooter and fun racer all in one - once you get it running correctly.
  93. Oct 9, 2011
    If you can maintain and troubleshoot your own computer then it is an excellent game with beautiful visuals. You might want to stick with the console version otherwise. In spite of also being developed for the consoles, it is a PC game through and through.

You also want to make sure that have at least 1gb video card and run a 64-bit operating system. You will need it to enable the
    'large texture cache' option which resolves the texture pop-ins that people complain about.

It needs to be said that most of the 0 and 1 scores are from people who couldn't get it running properly. AMD, in particular, had some problems getting the correct driver out for this game. Once the issue has been fully resolved then it shouldn't factor into your buying decision.

Personally, I think it's id's best and most beautiful game so far.
  94. Oct 9, 2011
    I love this game, an improbable picture, fascinating battles and many other things. And who isn't happy with that, I recommend to buy such games, instead of to download them with torents, and after that to complain of glitches. More shortly, it is one of the best shooters on PC for me. All good luck and pleasant game :)
  95. Oct 8, 2011
    Hello, i never listen to the opinium off other people... so here is my Strong Opinium,
    Best grapics ever 'nojoke', everything runs very smooth +60 fps for sure as always id make fast compatible engines..even a friends low spec laptop could play it at 35 fps for sure.

battlefield 3, is way worse looking as this'it looked ugly afther i played this game', this is the best engine that's out
    right now 'and there still updating the engine yet.', and look even better then the witcher 2, in fact it's looking better then witcher 2 and is x3 times faster engine'then witcher', i can't wait for the new drivers, and custom setting patch, and performance patches, also a real shooter doesn't need a story.. like doom had a story.. it must we Shooting, very good and fun! So ID i new i din't let me down, ....Also id software don't copy a succes formula for getting more sales , they are experimenting with there games and take a gamble with it, it's a good move there... and also they say, short game and when it gets good it ends.. indeed but u must now there alreadt DLC's in progress... I give this game a 9 for sure... -1 point Because, there is no 4 player co-op, and only 7 missions' rolf it must be like 60 missions,' in a Big world with quest. :p rolf sorry:p
    but indeed this is not borderlands, nor fallout, so if u want a big game look somewhere else..
    i am sure that they will make a expansion'or DLC and i can't wait to play it. Keep up up good Work ID software !!!!!! and don't listen to this other reviewers....they don't know what they are speaking.... maybe there computers are full of virussus, or bad hardware.., also i can play this game, and battlefield 3 at the same time.. and alt tab, and switch, i also talk mesenger and stuff, and i still is turned on. normaly;
  96. Oct 8, 2011
    Terrible launch, amazing game. There's no way around this fact: the launch was awful. But there's also no way around this fact: RAGE features the best gunplay in an FPS since FEAR, and if you skip it because of launch issues, you're cutting off your nose to spite your own face. With a modicum of know-how and Google searching, you can quickly correct the texture pop-in issue with a custom .cfg file and turn this game into a fantastic visual experience. Sure, there are some low-res textures - as there have been in every PC game outside of Witcher 2 - but the art design and overall graphics fidelity is something to behold once it's set up correctly with 8K textures forced and pop-in minimized. Just follow these steps (the top steps work for both Nvidia and AMD): http://www.geforce.com/News/articles/how-to-unlock-rages-high-resolution-textures-with-a-few-simple-tweaks

Now with that out of the way, I can confidently say that this is the first SP FPS I've played since FEAR where the gunplay is just amazing. The guns are all meaty with excellent feedback and feel. What also helps immensely is that the AI is surprisingly decent, making use of nooks and crannies in enclosed spaces to flank, crouch, duck, charge, and, yes, run away. That's a great detail - when you start taking fools out, there seems to be some morale trigger where the survivors try to retreat. Or they'll blindfire from out of cover instead of aiming properly. The Wingsticks at your disposal are also a beautiful addition to the combat, so you can shoot guys at some range properly without fumbling for a different weapon to switch to if one of them charges you. Both shotguns are awesome boomsticks, though I do love the alpha strike on the DLC dual-barreled shotty in particular.

And you know what? The RPG-lite elements id included here are about as well done as you can ask for had you tasked someone with creating RPG-lite elements in a shooter. The inventory makes a lot of sense and it's satisfying to pick up loot and drops from areas or corpses and then create your own gear on the fly.

Honestly, I hope the game sells well enough that id takes a sober look at what they accomplished and where they came up short, so they can start working on quality DLC and a sequel. For one thing, they need way more people - IIRC the team is just 60 staff. That's just not enough manpower for making a big game like this.
  97. Oct 8, 2011
    A spectacular failure. The game is saddled with an engine that looks great out doors but turns into a pixelated blurry mess when in doors, with textures quality so low that I haven't seen the like of them since that late 90s. Great game if never walk out of your car. Horrific blurry nightmare if you do.
  98. Oct 8, 2011
    this game is so poorly developed that makes me wanna punch my computer screen in RAGE!!!! first of all the graphics are so overrated, they look like a 5 year ild game, wait, they look like a 7 year old game, its just so unexcusable. All of the media hype about the new engine was **** Save your money, trust me.
  99. Oct 8, 2011
    I have to say that i'm truly astounded by the ratings of 0 and 1 here,after 25 hours of game time so far not had any issue's,game runs very smoothly,no tearing or missing textures and 65fps. The game is beautiful as far as the graphics go,so much attention to detail,sound is wonderful and music is grand,control is a breeze and never had a single crash,very similar to Borderlands so i'm very happy as that is a favourite of mine,RAGE just feels like an extension of Borderlands if truth be told,this is more than i could have hoped for and works perfectly on my GT 440,for me this works perfectly and couldn't ask for more and certainly looks better than the 360 and ps3 versions as the pc doesn't have the same restrictions,a class act and i'm sure will get even better with more content and indeed a patch or two but for me it works great so a patch isn't required,90 % from me and yes am an indie developer and been playing hundred's of games since 1978. Expand
  100. Oct 7, 2011
    This is a GREAT game. An amazing engine that gives you rock solid 60fps. If you actually play this game you would agree that it is a definite contender for game of the year. The recommended specs should be NVIDIA 400 and 500 series cards only. If you own an ATI card you should buy an NVIDIA card, and thank me later because all of your games will run better.

Also, if you don't know how to
    get this game running smoothly then you should probably just play on the console anyways. Real PC gamers know how their systems work and how to tweak things under the hood. Expand
  101. Feb 17, 2012

1. Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]