5.1

1. Jun 28, 2015
    Those who played Doom and Quake way back when will remember the fun that was blasting enemies into oblivion with an assortment of weapons, ranging from mundane to downright crazy. Perhaps this is the reason why Rage wears the name "iD Software" so proudly, stating on the box art as being from the creators of Doom and Quake - and indeed, the game offers a very similar experience, with someThose who played Doom and Quake way back when will remember the fun that was blasting enemies into oblivion with an assortment of weapons, ranging from mundane to downright crazy. Perhaps this is the reason why Rage wears the name "iD Software" so proudly, stating on the box art as being from the creators of Doom and Quake - and indeed, the game offers a very similar experience, with some modern twists, and the result is, at the very least, enjoyable.

The main story of Rage revolves around the player character, a survivor of an experiment by the U.S. government known as the Eden Project, designed to repopulate the Earth after a cataclysmic event which destroyed most of civilisation, awakening 106 years after being put in stasis, and being unwittingly dragged into a fight between the warring Authority, who are attempting to sieze control of the remaining settlements of Earth, and the Resistance, whose name should probably speak for themselves. This plot might be a bit bland, but Rage's fun lies not in its plot, but in its gameplay. The game certainly spares no expense with regards to action during its missions, which usually see you shooting large numbers of enemies with a large variety of weapons, which can be strategically used in tandem with each other. It's for this reason that, as stated before, I compare Rage favourably with games such as Doom and Quake, though equally favourable comparisons can also be made to Borderlands for its setting and Mad Max for the driving.

The game's certainly not grounded in the past, however - there are various features which drag the classic shooter into the age of modern gaming, such as a lives system of sorts implemented through a "defibrilator" mini-game, an open-world setting and and a vehicle mechanic, with the player unlocking better vehicles as they progress in the game. The driving in this game feels surprisingly fluid - It feels really satisfying to empty your Boost gauge whilst speeding through the game's deserted wastelands. The game also incorporates a vehicular combat system, though the weapons for this mode are not quite as diverse as thse for the main game, being limited to a mostly-ineffective Minigun, rockets, and a pulse weapon later on in the game.

Aside from the large variety of weapons available to the player in the game, each weapon also has various ammunition types, for instance an assault rifle has a standard round and a more powerful round, a shotgun has standard buckshot, an explosive "pop-rocket" round and a pulse round, and the game's Pistol has not only bulllets of increasing damage, but also Killbursts - the best description for which I can give comes from in-game: "Bullets within bullets within bullets, and they all fire at once." This gives the game slightly more diversity, making things a little more interesting by allowing players to switch between different ammo types on the fly to cater for different situations - Should I blast my way through with my ordinary Shotgun cartridges or do I blow them to pieces with my Pop Rockets?

There are some criticisms to be made - as I've said before, the story is quite bland and some of the open-world segments feel a bit forced, particularly the colonies which serve as a break-point of sorts between missions. Also, in spite of all the ammo types available, money is not easy enough to come by in the game world to actually be able to take advantage of all of them at once, requiring players to specialise at some point. Also quite annoying is the fact that there is no HUD when inside the game's aforementioned colonies, making it difficult to work out where it is you're meant to be going when some missions require you to visit a particular area within the colonies, necessitating wandering around aimlessly for a while trying to work out where the hell it is you're supposed to go. Perhaps one could also argue that some of the modernisations made to the game just seem arbitrary, from the plot to basic things like iron sights, which in some situations just aren't necessary.

All in all, the enjoyability of Rage depends on what you want from it. If you're looking for a deep story experience, then this is probably not the game for you. If, however, you enjoyed games the likes of Doom, Painkiller, Serious Sam and Duke Nukem 3D and are looking for a similar experience updated for a modern age, then Rage will be happy to provide you with a generous helping of over-the-top, rip-roaring action that will surely sustain one's appetite for death and destruction.
  2. Mar 1, 2015
    That games is just stunning. Amazing graphics, Great AI , opponents are doing amazing tricks and tactics to avoid your bullets . for each group of enemies you need to use different tactics. For example for mutants for me it was better to use fists and Wingstick :D . Weapons have different ammo which gives a really wide and varied tactical possibilities. For example Striker Crossbow has aThat games is just stunning. Amazing graphics, Great AI , opponents are doing amazing tricks and tactics to avoid your bullets . for each group of enemies you need to use different tactics. For example for mutants for me it was better to use fists and Wingstick :D . Weapons have different ammo which gives a really wide and varied tactical possibilities. For example Striker Crossbow has a steel-triped bolts ,electro bolts , mind control bolts, dynamite bolts :D . Graphics is so grade that very often I just stoped to admire the landscape. Minus is a lack of big bosses . There is only one and few smallest guys . The games is quite easy do I recommended to take something higher then normal level of difficulty Expand
  3. Feb 1, 2015
    Awesome game, like a Doom meet Mad Max feel. The weapons are punchy, the graphics are great (I see all the attacks on the pop-in, but find it amusing since there's actually less of that in RAGE than in Wolfenstein the New World Order which got rave user reviews. The world is amazingly well done, fantastic voice acting, great post-apocalyptic backdrop really sells the game world. They evenAwesome game, like a Doom meet Mad Max feel. The weapons are punchy, the graphics are great (I see all the attacks on the pop-in, but find it amusing since there's actually less of that in RAGE than in Wolfenstein the New World Order which got rave user reviews. The world is amazingly well done, fantastic voice acting, great post-apocalyptic backdrop really sells the game world. They even have John Goodman! I'm not much of a car game guy, which is not the biggest part of the game, but I still found myself enjoying it with all the upgrades. For a shooter there is so much to do here it's amazing; gambling, racing, shooting, optional side missions, upgrading your gear; it's apparent John Carmack and id put a lot of love into this game. I found this game much more fun than borderlands, but I'm an old school shooter so maybe that's why; plus RAGE's graphics are much better than Borderlands'. Yeah, it's not Crysis 3, but hey pretty good still. If you are an old school shooter or a fan of the Mad Max movies, then play this game: IT IS A FREAKING BLAST. Concerning performance issues listed here; I have had no issues on the following systems:
    i7 960 with GTX 660 3GB at 1600x900
    i7 960 with GTX 780 at 1920x1080 and 2560x1440
    i7 4770K with R9 290X and R9 290X Crossfire at 2560x1440
    i7 5930K with GTX 780TI and GTX 780TI SLI at 1920x1080 and 3840x2160 with max AA.
    My average FPS at 4K with 780TI SLI was 49 FPS, considering that high a resolution with max AA, not bad at all.
    BLUF: If you didn't like the old school shooters then this isn't for you; if you did then it is.
  4. Dec 16, 2014
    Great old fashioned FPS, an interesting selection of weapons - robot-car-bombs for instance, this is a game to be played on hard level, if you're someone who plays games on the easy setting then don't bother you'll get bored. This game can be frustratingly hard but that's somehow what makes it so satisfying when you beat the enemies. Graphically this game is a mixed bag, mostly it'sGreat old fashioned FPS, an interesting selection of weapons - robot-car-bombs for instance, this is a game to be played on hard level, if you're someone who plays games on the easy setting then don't bother you'll get bored. This game can be frustratingly hard but that's somehow what makes it so satisfying when you beat the enemies. Graphically this game is a mixed bag, mostly it's awesome but there are a couple of spots that look a bit too nineties. No 'bad-port' issues, I don't recall any buggyness. Grab it cheap if you like shooting tough enemies. Expand
  5. Aug 19, 2014
    The technical showcase of the IdTech 5 engine, and a solid FPS game in its own right.

The premise of the game is pretty well set up. You survived an apocalyptic asteroid impact and emerge from your cocoon into a world radically changed by this event. Now I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction, so this review may come across as slightly biased. The storyline in and of itself is

The storyline in and of itself is fairly good, well written, with some memorable characters. But it's not by any means genre-defining.

The graphics are the main draw of RAGE. Featuring IDTech 5, it introduces a new rendering concept called "Megatexturing", in which instead of a multitude of textures comprising a game world, the world of RAGE is rendered with one massive texture over everything in the environment. An ambitious method, for sure.

However, this technique is still very new, so there are a lot of quirks in the game such as texture pop-in and a green tint in dark environments. Not to mention that in order for the game to be able to run decently on most consumer hardware, the textures had to be greatly compressed from their original state, and the effects do show sometimes.

One effect from this compression might be the aforementioned green tint, but also the textures in general may look fairly muddy and blurry, especially on consoles and lower-end hardware on PC.

As Megatextures use a new transcoding method to render objects, SLI and Crossfire are not supported. The game will not even recognize anything beyond one GPU. I'm fairly optimistic that ID Software will address this with future titles though (I can't comment on Wolfenstein: New Order, as I have yet to play it myself on my SLI computer).

But I digress...

The gameplay itself is very solid and quite fun. ID Software is a master of the FPS genre, so as expected, the gunplay is extremely well presented and gives a visceral experience as enemies realistically react to localized damage.

The multiplayer, however, feels a tacked on. But I had a lot of fun with co-op.

I bought the game while it was on sale on Newegg back in late 2011, and I enjoyed the experience quite a bit.
  6. Jul 28, 2014
    The game is a solid 9 for me, but to balance the "0"-votings, i rate it a 10.

The game is a solid 9 for me, but to balance the "0"-votings, i rate it a 10.

Playing this game again at the moment and having a blast with it. Superb gunplay, intense atmosphere and well designed characters! The engine is realy impressive, you never see the same barrel or garbage twice, every location is unique. The buildings interiors are top notch, it feels so real! Sure, the engine has it's downsides, so you will see some blurry textures here and there, but who cares? When you digging in the sewers and you can almost smell the **** and be immersed into the game!

For me this game is a clearly underrated gem. Imagine Rage with the mechanics from a Fallout New Vegas, more items, hunger and thirst! This would be my dream-game :-)

The story in Rage is ok for a shooter, but don't expect some heavy plot here. But that's not really important. The world is unique, beautiful, lots of places to explore, tune your guns and cars, speak with the natives, do quests, take on some races and enjoy some great hours of gameplay!
  7. Jun 29, 2014
    Rage is a good game, I dont know what people hate about it. May be not one of the greats of all time but it definitely is a good game. There are much worser games out there. This game was good graphics and much fun, nice atmosphere and sound so everything is right with this one.
  8. Jun 17, 2014
    I've got say that this is a hidden gem. It's been out for long enough now that the video issues are long since gone. It runs super smooth on my AMD system, which is great because it sure is a beautiful game

I bought it a while back on sale on Steam. I had other games to play and forgot about it. Came across it last week and after reading the mixed reviews decided to give it a go. I'm totally glad I did.

It's a great shooter and has a little of the open-world that I love. If I decide to follow the plot I can. If I want to do the side missions I can.

But let's be honest it's no Borderlands. There are tons of limitation on where you can go. The missions are very linear with very few regions for exploration. Thankfully they are usually short so you don't get too stuck following the same track.

There is tons of driving. I loved it, but felt like it was forced upon you too much. It can be a lot of fun shooting while driving, but there is a lot of it.

Don't get me wrong this is a great game and will provide hours of shoot-em up fun. But it does lack that sense of finish after playing other games. Hence the 8.

Grab it on sale if you can, it's a worthy addition to any game library. I've got a race to win now so I can get the parts I need.
  9. Jun 14, 2014
    This is my personal experience with the PC version of this game. Rage. Is. Awesome! Gun fights rock! Driving and blowing stuff up, Rocks! The NPC's are very well done. Everything is sooo beautiful. The game just looks fantastic.

If you haven't you have to buy the add on RAGE: The Scorchers. Why? Two Reasons. #1 Sarah, #2 The nail gun (whoopidy doo right? nope it has a rail gun attachment that lets you see through walls and shoot through said walls and completely disintegrate most foes! Which ROCKS by the way!

I had so much fun playing this game. I have enjoyed at least 4 different play throughs and would highly recommend this game to others.

The only faults in the game is I wish I could interact more with certain NPC's. I don't mean sexually.
  10. Mar 15, 2014
    This game had a bad launch and was practically buried in bad reviews when it came out. This is unfortunate now, because Rage is actually a brilliant, though flawed game, that very nearly rises to the level of the two games it most closely emulates: Fallout 3 and Borderlands. In a comparison of the three games Rage comes in as the third place contender for post-apocalyptic fun. WHY? WellThis game had a bad launch and was practically buried in bad reviews when it came out. This is unfortunate now, because Rage is actually a brilliant, though flawed game, that very nearly rises to the level of the two games it most closely emulates: Fallout 3 and Borderlands. In a comparison of the three games Rage comes in as the third place contender for post-apocalyptic fun. WHY? Well three reasons really. (1) The explorable 'world' of Rage is too small. (2) The role playing elements of the game (leveling up, gaining skill increases and perks) don't exist. (3) The scenario and writing is too generic and lack-luster. This is slightly sad as the environmental art, level design and combat AI in this game are really great. Id Software got a lot of the elements right. However without exploration, an exciting plot or character building to motivate players the player base quickly declined and the game was forgotten. Id should have looked deeper at what motivates gamers to play games. A bigger world. A better story. More sense of forging your own identity with your character (aka role playing). Buy this game on sale and enjoy its overall excellence. For achievement hunters good luck getting four of a kind playing poker! The mini-games in Rage are TERRIBLY boring for poor suffering completionists.

Orctowngrot
  11. Mar 2, 2014
    A solid game, with a fun open world style--though somewhat linear in this "openworlded-ness".

Enjoyable dystopian feel, with a sense of character empowerment both by action and gear. A solid game, but not a "must play". I was sort of shocked by the high number of bad reviews. I wonder if it had issues when it was first released? It may be helpful to search reviews by date to

A solid game, but not a "must play". I was sort of shocked by the high number of bad reviews. I wonder if it had issues when it was first released? It may be helpful to search reviews by date to determine if the low reviews are clustered close to release date (I haven't done this myself, but it might be of use.)
  12. Jan 8, 2014
    I've played this game countless amount of times, twice on my PS3 and many more times on my laptop, I liked the story line a lot, graphics were impressive, and it worked nicely on my very slow laptop, it has impressive features, but there are boring parts that can bring down the rating, but over all very good game, i understand there are a lot of bugs, and I mean A LOT. However, if you areI've played this game countless amount of times, twice on my PS3 and many more times on my laptop, I liked the story line a lot, graphics were impressive, and it worked nicely on my very slow laptop, it has impressive features, but there are boring parts that can bring down the rating, but over all very good game, i understand there are a lot of bugs, and I mean A LOT. However, if you are able to run it without a game breaking glitch like me then it should be a fun experience. Easy 8/10 recommend trying! Expand
  13. Dec 8, 2013
    Don't listen to all the nay-sayers. Rage is a blast, and deserves at least a play through! Game honestly deserves an 8, but someone has to offset all the people griping about the ATI issue. The combat in Rage is top notch. Interactive enemies, grenades that function correctly, and an overall impressive atmosphere. For me, the only point where the game looses out is on a weak story line. OhDon't listen to all the nay-sayers. Rage is a blast, and deserves at least a play through! Game honestly deserves an 8, but someone has to offset all the people griping about the ATI issue. The combat in Rage is top notch. Interactive enemies, grenades that function correctly, and an overall impressive atmosphere. For me, the only point where the game looses out is on a weak story line. Oh well its a fun shooter with great combat. Expand
  14. Nov 25, 2013
    Playing on PC with Core2duo 2.8 and ATI HD4870. Good graphics with great performance. There is no any problems with textures or something like that. Only a few non-essential bugs. Nice experience for me. I like this game.
  15. Nov 25, 2013
    I tried this game in the recent Free Weekend on Steam. Other than some other posters who slate the game for it being free to try out, I think it's a great idea. You can test if it's what you expect and like, if it runs well on your rig, and then take it or leave it what the heck would be wrong with that??

I figure the game must have had some problems at launch, and it really looks like some people are still in RAGE cuz they once paid €50 for this, it didn't work for them and thus they keep downvoting it forever. I guess they're hung up about their own issues you can safely ignore them. Saying it's mediocre and then giving it a score of 0 is just not honest and forthright. (If you don't know what that means, look it up, ragers!)

So, I checked it out for about 2 hours on my ageing PC (Radeon 4870, Phenom CPU, Win Vista). It ran really well, looked gorgeous, was engaging in combat and in dialogue. It entertained me plenty, I had lots of fun, no issues with graphics, controls, all worked perfectly. Worth the €5 on special offer? Not just worth it, it's a STEAL.

Yes the gameplay is linear (bit like Borderlands), yes there are invisible walls, yes the weapon options are limited, so is the roleplaying element. But by golly, the combat is a freakin fun-filled splatterfest! This game is what it is, don't expect it to be anything else, and you'll have a blast. No you can't mess about with objects or customise your character like in Fallout 3, it doesn't have the Fallout 3 humour, it doesn't do many things, but what it does it does brilliantly.

Don't come to this with false hopes, and you'll love it too. You won't be disappointed.
  16. Nov 22, 2013
    So it's Borderlands with less colors and more horror. I swear each mutant that attacks is an individual mini-jump scare. Really pretty exciting actually. There's also a ton of side-stuff to do if you're bored. There's racing and even a collectible-card metagame. Not to mention side-quests to keep you busy if you're bored. The story isn't anything special but it has a solid premise to keepSo it's Borderlands with less colors and more horror. I swear each mutant that attacks is an individual mini-jump scare. Really pretty exciting actually. There's also a ton of side-stuff to do if you're bored. There's racing and even a collectible-card metagame. Not to mention side-quests to keep you busy if you're bored. The story isn't anything special but it has a solid premise to keep the game rolling. Characters are pretty damn good, well acted, well designed, and well developed. Shooting is solid, looting is satisfying. There are some problems with texture pop-in due to the megatexture thing. Best version is on PC, the console versions are buggy as hell. PC version is still a little buggy but a lot better. Doesn't deserve a 10/10 but I wanted to counter the awful score users are giving it. It's much better than a 4.9/10, you guys are ridiculous. Solid 8/10, if not more. Expand
  17. Oct 24, 2013
    I got this game and the scourcher pack for like $19.99 on steam. It was super fun single player for me. I didnt and probably won't play mulit player. I did have any problems with bug or glitches. It ran perfect. I would have gave it a 10, but the ending left me hanging. dont know if they'll make a part 2 or not. Overall it was fun. Like mad max meets doom.
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    Heyyo, I'm rating this 10/10 purely becuase people gave it terrible reviews due to release bugs. Now that the game's fixed up? It's plenty fun. Screw them kids who went "RELEASE GAEMS MEOW!" and then went "WAHH GAEM'S BUGGY 1/10" :P
  19. Sep 25, 2013
    First of all, i dont wana teach people how to write reviews or match rating with the written review.. but i must say that imo 2 points out of 10 are a question of personal taste. Not only that, but i must also say that you can review black without knowing white, same goes for saying x is great is y doesnt exist... this means that rating is possible and legit when you compare to other gamesFirst of all, i dont wana teach people how to write reviews or match rating with the written review.. but i must say that imo 2 points out of 10 are a question of personal taste. Not only that, but i must also say that you can review black without knowing white, same goes for saying x is great is y doesnt exist... this means that rating is possible and legit when you compare to other games in its category or atleast with similarities... With this said... i give this game a 10 and i am surprised with the low rating and reviews...

Where can i start? well with the fact that, this is a bethesda game... so to those complaining about graphics.. they are perfect to me.. if you want a game to escape your CoD or Battlefield addiction dont low rate a good quality game just because graphics arent similar... On the same road, i must say that i am surprised that this marvelous fps game is from bethesda, since they are renowned for their rpgs. So it was indeed a great positive surprise for me...

The shooting is great, the combat smooth, the whole idea of wasteland violence and surprise attacks is just... 10... right of the bat i got spooked out with a bandint jumping on me. The fact that ammo keeps running low is also good imo, since it adds to the difficulty (which may i say, scales awesomely well... hard to see a fps with such a great difficulty scaling(usually its either dumb dummies or headshot bots))
    The vehicle combat is really fun and interesting. Side quests (even though it is not an rpg) exist and are great.helpful and fun...

Now... to all negative reviews.. i just gota say that, ofcourse you cant compare this game to cod or battlefield.. this game has a great story, and alot more than mere shooting, its bethesda... Comparing it to fallout is also silly, even though both are bethesda and involves wastelands, 1 is a rpg and the other fps with little rpg elements. I must say that this is also a great point for this game, the rpg elements are genious... they are just enough to maintain fps status but still give some extra stuff to do and work on.

This game cannot be compared to Stalker also... Stalker is also fps true, but has way more elements of rpg.. Its a great game also, BUT simply cannot be compared to RAGE. Whole different ideas, 1 has intense combat which is cohesive to the fact that you are being hunted down, the other is honest and loyal to the idea that you are a stalker... and therefore is just existing like other stalkers (scavenging)

Compare this game to metro last light... which as i reviewed... is really really unfinished. Compare both games... both fps, both of them are post apocalyptical games and both pursue the idea of intense combat. However... metro has no side quests, no minimum rpg elements... many strings that you pull only to realise there is nothing on the other end...

Rage does have a story and its pretty linear... you cant simply cant get lost... if you get lost playing rage.. you should stick to basic left to right games.. STILL it manages to give you room to work on smaller stuff.. Yes the story aint deep... but tell me 5 fps games that get you immersed in its story....

I sincerly find it pretty sad, to see critics unable to match their writing to their number rating. Even more to see players and pro critics alike comparing this game to cod when it comes to shooting and graphics and story to other bethesda rpg games... seriously... giving metro last joke a 8 and this game a 4.8 user rating is just ridiculous.... If you played stalker or metro the joke and like post apocalyptical fps games... Rage is an awesome surprise... dont trust ratings from people who compare it wrongly... just give it a chance... its bethesda ffs.... ID made great game aswell... why on earth wouldnt you try it?

Oh and to all bug this.. crash that... graphic that" seriously... people dont downvote jokes like darksouls for its pathetic unplayable pc version but will downvote this because it has better graphics on console?!? ilogical imo... The game runs fine... if by any chance you think its lagish due to low fps, press esc, go to options and there you shall find video options that you can change... judging by what i see on many reviews, this is apparently really hard to do...
  20. Sep 19, 2013
    Your enjoyment depends on what you expect. If you expect a game that is Skyrim, Doom and Fallout all in one, then you will be disappointed. But if you expect a good shooter, variable enemies and enviroments with some more space to walk and more RPG like story then you will be happy. The only bad thing is tons of bugs at launch of the game (currently in 2013 all problems are fixed) and weakYour enjoyment depends on what you expect. If you expect a game that is Skyrim, Doom and Fallout all in one, then you will be disappointed. But if you expect a good shooter, variable enemies and enviroments with some more space to walk and more RPG like story then you will be happy. The only bad thing is tons of bugs at launch of the game (currently in 2013 all problems are fixed) and weak ending. Also I didnt like that main character has Gordon Freemans syndrome. But overally if you dont expect too much you will love this game. Expand
  21. Sep 14, 2013
    It's a nice game when you are a casual gamer. It looks nice but its every time the same mission design.
    For this price its ok, not more. Buy it if you want but its not a must have.
  22. Sep 4, 2013
    So, i bought this game. I didnt want to download it for so long because it was 20GB, but i did anyway.
    ~THE GOOD~
    ~THE GOOD~
    1. Holy SH*T the graphics. They are amazing. Beyond that, they are godly. I have all my setting switched to LOW, and the world looks gorgeous. Skyrim? Okay graphics. Some stuff is pretty, but you dont pay for graphics. Fallout? Meh. Ive seen better from bethesda. RAGE? F*nking beautiful graphics. They are so amazingfullnesstastic, holy shat, the best graphics ive ever seen on a game. Ever.
    2. I haven't yet used combat, but the movement is good too. I just started.
    3. Holy graphics
  23. Aug 5, 2013
    Nearly 2 years after the release most of the problems solved, I still got some funky things going on with the graphics, it's not a big problem but it is annoying when you first start the game and seeing SMALL spider webs in the back ground, I am on an integrated garbage graphics card, a good bit better than recommended but still integrated. Anyways I'd like to say this was veryNearly 2 years after the release most of the problems solved, I still got some funky things going on with the graphics, it's not a big problem but it is annoying when you first start the game and seeing SMALL spider webs in the back ground, I am on an integrated garbage graphics card, a good bit better than recommended but still integrated. Anyways I'd like to say this was very enjoyable,especially early on! Getting new guns, obtaining/buying different ammo types enhances the weapons flavor.

The personalities are a bit more realistic something that you could expect in a wasteland like this, if you like BL2 personalities and expect that, don't. Because they aren't outrageous,inhumane, and stereotypical like in BL2.

The weapons Each weapon has purpose throughout the game because of their different ammo types
    There are plenty of weapons and you can keep them all on you, this game is also awesome because a lot of times you need to prepare, so you go to the store stock up on whats appropriate for the mission and go out and handle your business. By the end of the game, if you're an explorer type of player or you just want to do the main quest line, you will all end up with the same weapons, just explorer type of players will get them sooner, and also have a lot more money. It's too bad they couldn't reward explorers more though, but still fun and exciting to explore!

Schematics I wish they had more and I want to cut down the score by .5 because of it but thats only because the schematics are so cool I want more!!!! If they were garbage or just plain uninteresting or useless, I wouldn't care but the schematics feel great and you guys will love it!

The entire map There are many places to explore but they don't reward explorers as much as fallout for example, I know it's 2 different games but I don't see what the problem would be if they added more weapons, unique weapons, and weapons that can only be found by exploring.
    The landscape is beautiful sometimes you just need to sit back and just stare at the buildings details, the ground,rocks, sky. It's great!

Overall a great game, I usually don't finish games they bore me half way through or just plain piss me off with stupid game design decisions. But this game I finished and up until I ran out of optional things to do the game got a little less exciting. This game is a 15-25+ hour game and if you like this type of game, definitely get it! The only regret I have is paying discount price
  24. Jul 30, 2013
    The bad reviews are outdated.

There are graphic fixes and guides for your setting which make result in a very enjoyable environment. Most bugs have been fixed (haven't experienced a single bug in my playthrough!). Note: graphics are instantly loaded into ram when entering a map; this can result in ~30 seconds of lag right at the start. However after that it's flawlessly fluent.
    The bad reviews are outdated.

However after that it's flawlessly fluent.

The game gives you a great variety of weapons right from the start which partwise transform into completely new weapons just by switching the ammo.

The story could have been better, but well it's not like CoD and Co had good stories either.

This game might have had it's issues, but they're gone now.

If you see this game on sale grab it!
    It's definitely enjoyable abd worth the money!
  25. Jul 26, 2013
    One night, Fallout 3 had a drink or two at a local bar. There, she met Borderlands. A man with strong potential and people all around the world were interrested in him, just like they were interrested in her! There was a spark between them, and after a few more drinks of which the amount of alcohol could burn straight through the vault of a mob bank, they had some real sexy love making.One night, Fallout 3 had a drink or two at a local bar. There, she met Borderlands. A man with strong potential and people all around the world were interrested in him, just like they were interrested in her! There was a spark between them, and after a few more drinks of which the amount of alcohol could burn straight through the vault of a mob bank, they had some real sexy love making. From that, their baby was born. An unspoken child. "Rage". Although "Rage" may have daddy's eyes and mommy's body, "Rage" makes for an enjoyable and visually gorgeous experience you wouldn't want to miss out on. Expand
  26. Jun 11, 2013
    What with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal greatWhat with the ridiculous number of 0's and 1's here, I'd felt obliged to balance it out with a 10. Rage is initially stunning to look at, but it's easy to get used to the graphical splendor. Whoever claims this game doesn't look great needs to a) upgrade their PC and/or b) have their eyes checked. Gameplay is solid, with good enemy AI, nice guns and handling of them and an overal great level of polish. Even the voice acting is pretty solid. It might be that many of the negative reviews are simple due to unrealistic expectations ("it's ID, so it HAS to be some next level and/or the early bugs (I experienced none so far). In 2013, in a sale, Rage is a great shooter with some small but nice RPG overtones. I enjoyed it more than Borderlands 2, so far, if that's any help. On the negative side: it's a bit repetitive (like most if not all shooters), it's more lineair than it likes to pretend. A great buy at a tenner or two Expand
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    Great game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to everyGreat game period. Granted not perfect but obviously its combo of incredible graphics, textures, gorgeously fitting color pallet, and stunning frame rate (60fps) make it a visual masterpiece with best in class aesthetics dominating its commonly compared borderlands and fallout 3 bretheren in this department. Guns feel heavy, gunshots sound aggressive and badass, and enemies react to every shot they are hit with in a realistic way with impressively animated deaths. The animators at id software knocked it out the park with the games many fluid and jaw dropping animations, from crazed mutants ravenously coming after you, to salty bandits flailing back from gunfire ultimately spinning and falling face first to their death these animations are handled with a smoothness and degree of movement not often(if ever) seen in the video game industry. The sound shines with the vaunted John Goodman lending his voice acting talents. The game isn't short with all the side quests and loot hunting offered as well as a very arcade like but enjoyable racing and vehicle combat section (though a bit easy). The weapons are varied enough with all guns and crossbow having several different ammo types, but the clear cut star of your arsenal is the innovative and devilishly fun wing stick. The wing stick is a type of three bladed boomerang that you throw at your enemies for frequent decapitations and severed limbs, it also can be upgraded to target enemies,do more damage, and return to your hand like a boomerang (did i mention it can slice the head off of multiple enemies in a row).You also find or buy blueprints in the wasteland which build new weapons/guns, upgradable turrets and robots, and even a mini remote controlled truck with bombs attached to it which you can remote detonate (also useful for scouting out enemy camps). You do however rehash the same levels at times with minor differences but with having to make such detailed landscapes it's understandable. The game includes many enjoyable mini games such as five finger fillet, a guitar hero like game called strum, and a very fun card game similar to magic the gathering with picture cards of different in game characters and factions that you find throughout the wasteland to strengthen your deck(trust me i am not a card or magic t.g. fan but this is fun). The world isn't as big as fallout but it is as big as it needs to be.It has a fun but not as varied separate coop campaign and online multiplayer in the form of exciting vehicle combat races. I know it isn't the 4 player coop of borderlands but unless you are the type who is compulsive about having 50,000 guns and cell shaded graphics it might be a better all around game than the first borderlands(i do love borderlands by the way). People say Rage doesn't have a story and it has an "okay" if not fleshed out enough story but borderlands though it is entertaining has basically no story at all(you are on pandora- now find this vault).Some found Rage to have a weak ending? Not half as dissapointing as borderlands ending (can anyone say they were pleased with what they found in the vault?) Overall Rage is a breath of fresh air that beckons back to id's yesteryear of gaming (doom,quake) the combat is in your face and aggressive differing from this generation's Gears of Wear totally cover based pop and shoot style of combat (when i am a badass muscle bound space marine i don't want to spend 75% of the game on my knees, i know a few gals who hangout on the corner they can give marcus pheonix a pair of kneepads they spend alot of time on their knees too).Rage has a ton of nostalgic eastereggs too, if you are a Doom,wolfenstein, Quake or id fan you need to get this game for the eastereggs alone! I won't spoil it but let's just say these eastereggs are very.....interactive. The sad thing is that Rage2 was in the works but seeing how Rage undersold they cancelled production and killed the would be series. This was new IP from the fathers of FPS and after all that time they delivered, and after getting their feet wet in this generation with Rage i can assume building on Rage's engine and the experience with Rage would have prepped them to deliver even bigger on Rage2 (can you imagine what that game would of looked like.) Rage is a very strong game and worth the experience it should have sold 5mil. Rage gets a 9 out of 10. j Expand
  28. May 5, 2013
    Great game. Absolutely stunning. I cant believe I wasted so long to get it, because of all the negative reviews here. The graphics are truly amazing and the game play is quite original. Well worth 20 bucks if you ask me. I have had no problem with the game whatsoever. A must have for any fps fan.
  29. Apr 16, 2013
    underrated game. great gameplay, great shooting. great design (the best!). one of my all time favorites.
    It has an abrupt ending. that was disappointing. Also, I would like to see more in the wasteland. there was not much to do. No good reason to explore.
    i had no technical issues with it. (geforce 9800 gtx & geforce gtx 550 ti)
    i hope they make a sequel
  30. Apr 8, 2013
    Gunplay is fast and fluid, enemies have good AI and the arsenal is fun to shoot. Just a real joy as a shooter, it feels true to id's legacy. Similar setting as Fallout, but it's more linear, more about the action, with a fresh visual design. Character animations are great. Lite rpg and racing elements work well but are simple so as to emphasize shooting.
    Performance issues killed the
    Performance issues killed the general reception of this game. Make sure you update your graphics drivers and patch the game. There's plenty of advice online on solving these issues.
  31. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game deserves a "GG!". All of those so-called "bad reviews" were made in Rage's early days; when the game had just come out and still had problems (albeit big ones). Now however, the game has been out for about 1 1/2 years, and it has improved a lot. I bought it for 5$ on steam during a sale, and it was totally worth it. The fighting is fun and hilarious, both on foot and in the cars. The guns are awesome and the different types of ammo you get for the guns (my favorite so far is the Mind Control Bolts for the Striker Crossbow weapon) make them really dynamic. There is racing in the game (which at first, I was not all that excited about) but it turned out to be seriously cool. There are 4 different race types, "Time Trial", "Rally", "Non-combat", and "Combat". The Time Trial race is a SP race only, where you try to complete a race track 3 times before a timer runs out. The Rally race is an SP or MP race where racers compete to try and collect rally points that are scattered across the map, and the first to 50 points wins, with the rally points giving 5 points each. The multiplayer is not quite what I had thought it was, as you cannot do the entire campaign with a friend, but rather, you can do specific quests from the campaign with a twist to them. The physics is amazing. The way they react when you shoot them is phenomenal. You hit a helmeted enemy in the head, and he falls over and tries to recover. You hit a mutant in the leg as he charges you and he starts to trip. The AI is really smart, they know what you are doing and tell their friends what to do based on that. I take out 3 bandits out of a group of 5 and they yell, "Fall back! Don't let him get through!". One of the negatives however, was that, it was not quite as much of an open world game as I would have liked. It feels a little bit like there is one path to go down and there are only a few other places to go besides there, but they do it in such a way so you get used to it. Another negative I had was how short the game was (I finished the solo campaign in about 44 hours even though I did most of the side missions as well) but for 5-15$, I suppose I shouldn't have expected as much length (I Also, they don't do a good job explaining what the options do in the game. For example, there is an option in there called "GPU Transcode"...huh? What does that do/mean exactly? I turned it on and the benchmark went up by 50, so I left it on, but I would like to know what that means. All of the intro movies and all cutscenes are inescapable as well. So in the end, I take 1 point for the shortness and linearness, and 1 point for the other negatives I mentioned earlier. All in all, great game. Good luck in the Wasteland! Expand
  32. Mar 14, 2013
    This game is funny. I remember the movie mad max Run on the desert is beatifull and dangerous.
    The races are excelent too much hardcore.
    The weapons are excelent, real.

The only problem that make me sad DON' T HAVE A FINAL BOSS...
    without a final boss I only can put 8 points to score.

Id software are doing funny games, I'm wainting to the continuation
  33. Feb 5, 2013
    Got this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way asGot this game on sale for $10 and i'm am no way regretting it.. I can see and understand why everyone hates this game so much, cause the engine needs alot of giddy-up, even my PC ain't exactly capable of running the game at 100% fine. I like the weaponry collection it has and the gameplay is cool, being out in the middle of nowhere with just some folks and doing missions along the way as you go, you meet more people and earn more money by bidding or doing a race and finishing as first (for an example) the card game called rage frenzy is ok every now and then but I concentrate on the missions. I see collecting books, cards, and bottles and junk to be more of an optional thing but I have come across 30 cards so far and i am in the 3rd town.. The three missions towards the end of the second town was the best so far IMO, I love killing the convoy more than the raiders sometimes cause I have a feeling some are overpowered but then again KEEP IN MIND it counts where exactly you hit the enemy, not how many times you shoot the enemy. The machine gun on the vehicle is a real huge help (has auto aiming) and when you break down you can call for help or just drive back to nearest town and repair it for a nice cheap price. I like how the GFX look, at first I thought it was kinda dumb but now I think its more of a fun way of driving it towards realistic but sometimes when I walk into new areas the ground, walls, items, aumo, etc. look fuzzy or really super blurry, I walked into this one building and got up to the next floor and everything was blur, it got stuck like this for about a half a minute but i was still able to walk around just fine without any lag, however there are times when I turn my head and my screen just freezes for a quick second or so. When going to the missions, you will sometimes use the same route over and over, this can get kind of boring and killing the same raiders you just killed in a previous mission but its all the fun in the game but could still use a different approach every other time. This game kind of makes me think of Metro 2033, the way the gameplay is, there both a apocalyptic game and both have limits like you can't go through certain holes or jump on top of walls or such, there both small games and both are FPS.. However I'm no way saying the games are the same cause they most certainly are not the same, they differ in so many ways. I'm gonna have to give this game a 10 Expand
  34. Jan 16, 2013
    What a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect isWhat a great game. After looking at all of these negative reviews I have to wonder if the game has been massively patched since its release. I decided to purchase game on a steam sale for $5 and am so glad I did. The combat is intense and satisfying. The characters are engaging. The racing combat is fun. The upgrades to all of your weapons and vehicles is sweet. The engineering aspect is super cool. And again the gameplay is FLAWLESS. Either there is some sort of massive conspiracy going on or this game has been heavily patched since its initial release. There is no question that you should buy this game. I really feel that John Carmack and his team got $crewed with all this negative press. This has been one of the most fun games I have played in years. BUY THIS GAME!!!!!!! I am giving this game a 10 (even though no game really is perfect) because of all of the lopsided reviews giving this game a freeking 1! Which is ludicrous. Expand
  35. Jan 14, 2013
    Despite all the negative user feedback, I decided to buy this game during a steam sale event. MAN am I glad I made that decision!! Since so many of these reviews are bias and subjective, I'll try to provide objectivity. Hands down, the graphics are some of the best Ive seen in a long time. Controls are easy to learn, and intuitive to any fps veteran. Combat is tough, dynamic andDespite all the negative user feedback, I decided to buy this game during a steam sale event. MAN am I glad I made that decision!! Since so many of these reviews are bias and subjective, I'll try to provide objectivity. Hands down, the graphics are some of the best Ive seen in a long time. Controls are easy to learn, and intuitive to any fps veteran. Combat is tough, dynamic and suspenseful. Different types of enemies provide a challenge, and an opportunity to creatively use all your fabricated weapons and explosive RC cars 8] . The characters models are fantastic and each one is different. The way they talk and the expressions they make are amazingly well made. I am so impressed with the attention to detail bethesda and id have taken in character personality. Back to killing - its just awesome. Shooting a guy in the ass makes him scream and pain and clutch his bum like its been bit by a ravenous donkey! Missions are engaging and entertaining - and usually provide some kind of perk or schematic for the players benefit. There are seemingly endless battles to be fought, and elixers to be made - boredom is a rarity. My few main gripes are this - The world has too many boundaries. Th player cant explore the cliffs or even jump over a car thats 2 ft off the ground - makes for an unrealistic restricted feel, which I dislike. Also, id has always made games with fun little secret doors, and locations for the true gamer who likes to explore. Rage provides little if anything like this. Overall, gameplay, gunplay, combat, the stories, and character modeling/ voice acting are all phenomenal, which is all I require to have a blast in any pc game. Enjoy it for everything it is! Expand
  36. Jan 10, 2013
    i just picked this game up for a serious discount and i would have to say it was a steal. This game is fast paced and brilliantly fun to play. id games have a certain feel to them that other shooters just cant match IMO. Lots of people seem to complain about the graphics in the game for PC, but seriously easy to fix with a config file to change the textures to 4k, 8k or 16k textures. I rani just picked this game up for a serious discount and i would have to say it was a steal. This game is fast paced and brilliantly fun to play. id games have a certain feel to them that other shooters just cant match IMO. Lots of people seem to complain about the graphics in the game for PC, but seriously easy to fix with a config file to change the textures to 4k, 8k or 16k textures. I ran the game with 8k textures and it looked amazing with my 7950 and it ran 40FPS+. The biggest issue with the graphics is texture quality when close to objects which is common but with stock graphics the textures are some of the worst ive seen up close in a while but the 8k "mod" fixes a lot of this. I know people **** saying well we shouldnt have to make a config file to up graphic quality, fact of the matter is people do this for all kinds of games and modding games is just part of PC gaming these days. id is old school and thats what i love about their games. They make their games linear which to me ups the fun, especially in frantic situations. nobody wants a open world doom game and i certainly dont want rage open world either. i recommend picking this up as far as i can tell there isnt many bugs in this game at all though i didnt go out of my way to find any either. Rage took me about 20 hours to beat (23 hours with the DLC) and that is completing all the little side missions and races. Which for a FPS this day and age is really good considering i beat most FPS games in 5-6 hours. There have been some patches that fixed a lot of the graphic options in the games settings so disregard older reviews of this game which state there are none. I loved how id stuck to their guns with this game and didnt conform it to more "modern" **** shooters that only let you carry 2 guns, carrying 9+ guns is just plain awesome. One feature i wish they would have left out was health regeneration but there are medpacks as well. Rage also includes very minor RPG elements as well that makes the game more interesting. You can craft things like turrets , rc car bombs medpacks, wingsticks are really fun to use decapitating enemies is just plain awesome. sure maybe the story is not up to par and the characters are uninteresting but when has id ever put a lot of stock into character development. This game is just plain fun up the difficulty though the normal setting seems more like very easy ramp it up to hard or higher. Expand
  37. CJR
    Jan 5, 2013
    Technical issues aside, This game is a very well executed shooter with an artistically designed over world and linear run and gun missions. This game has presented us gamers with a world with great potential, this game will leave you wanting more, and enthusiastic for a sequel.

The action is not highly realistic, some enemies will keep running at you even when you pump a shotgun load into their heads, but that is how the guys at id have done it for years with their shooters, once you get over that little bit of un-realism, you will kinda get what it's about.

There missions are basically go and retrieve something or rescue someone, and you kill lots of bad guys along the way, I find that fund in the environments presented in this title, The weapons and their upgrades are good, no need for any kind of grinding or absurd amounts of effort to achieve them and they are rewarding. Vehicle action in Rage is surprisingly well pulled off for a software house that mostly only ever did shooters, it is fun to race around and blow up bandits and race for upgrades. For the mix of linear run and gun and a vehicular oriented over-world there is a huge scope of achievement in rage technically and for a video game that delivers as much play time as it does is nice these days. It's not a futuristic skyrim, there are RPG elements only, like making items from supplies, upgrading armour and weapons, but it ends there, just some rewards to keep you playing and offer choices on how you slay enemies.

Graphically flawless o the right hardware, No show stopping bugs and a well rounded title with at least 10 hours of play. Replayability is good too.

There are a lot of negative reviews complaining about a lack of graphical options and bugs etc, but alot of that has been solved now through updates and new driver updates on the part of both nvidia and ATI. Everyone had this idea in their head that id software is a huge software company with infinite fund to test their titles on every combination of hardware, but this was primarily a console title, which we as the public were lucky enough to get a pc version. id usually does fix most bugs in their releases and rage should be no different.

A year later, this title is great on decent hardware, if you have a mid range PC and are not comfortable with doing some research on pc game tweaks on the internet I would recommend this title on a console rather than PC. If you invest the time though, this is a very graphically impressive title with some minor config file tweaks.

A great FPS and Vehicle game with RPG elements with plenty of fun and story content.
  38. Dec 31, 2012
    Well what a great game, Good graphics fun car battles and slick and interesting weaponry. What really makes this game stand out is the plot and some mission have you jumping out your seat in surprise or fearing moving around the next corner for fear of what might be there. For £7 buy it now!
  39. Nov 13, 2012
    I guess i've been one of the fortunate ones that has NEVER had an issue with this game. No bugs, no glitches, nothing. My only complaint with this gameplay, is it's way too easy. The locked config files preventing us from disabling the auto-heal, which would have made this game harder. Overall, fantastic gunplay and weapons, although the shotgun is ridiculously over-powered, greatI guess i've been one of the fortunate ones that has NEVER had an issue with this game. No bugs, no glitches, nothing. My only complaint with this gameplay, is it's way too easy. The locked config files preventing us from disabling the auto-heal, which would have made this game harder. Overall, fantastic gunplay and weapons, although the shotgun is ridiculously over-powered, great graphics (except really up close) and a decent story that should have been expanded upon more. Would have been a 9, except the game was hindered by quite possibly the worst ending i've ever seen. Expand
  40. Nov 11, 2012
    RAGE is certainly not the greatest game ever made. At first it was pretty much impossible to play on PC, but that's been fixed now. And it's much easier to see just how fun the game really it. It still has it's cons, I didn't really think much of the multiplayer and the story was fairly weak. But with them out the way, RAGE is great fun to play. The graphics are amazing, the action isRAGE is certainly not the greatest game ever made. At first it was pretty much impossible to play on PC, but that's been fixed now. And it's much easier to see just how fun the game really it. It still has it's cons, I didn't really think much of the multiplayer and the story was fairly weak. But with them out the way, RAGE is great fun to play. The graphics are amazing, the action is enjoyable, the driving is fun, the minigames are fairly interesting. The concept is also amazing, although it could've been executed better. I see why other don't like this, but I love it. Expand
  41. Oct 28, 2012
    id software is back on top form with this knock-out shooter. Rage is set in a post apocalyptic future after an asteroid hits the Earth, only a small handful of humanity survived and you attempt to rebuild humanity through help of the Resistance. Whilst the game comes on 3 discs it only lasts you around 12 hours for a straight run, 18 hours roughly to do all the side missions and extras.id software is back on top form with this knock-out shooter. Rage is set in a post apocalyptic future after an asteroid hits the Earth, only a small handful of humanity survived and you attempt to rebuild humanity through help of the Resistance. Whilst the game comes on 3 discs it only lasts you around 12 hours for a straight run, 18 hours roughly to do all the side missions and extras. Rage is not a long game and its story is fairly weak with a cop-out ending but the shooting is masterful and the graphics are gob smacking. Usually I wouldn't rate a game this high without a impressive story to back it up but Rage has that old timely feel to it that has managed to blend into modern shooter mechanics making it a near perfect shooter. The PC version is slightly better than the console versions due to its higher graphical standard and it being made for PC to begin with. Expand
  42. Oct 7, 2012
    Muy Buen Shooter, buenos gráficos, variedad de armas y municiones, armamentos de ingenieria, buenos escenarios. Lo malo, no epic final.

Aún así muy recomendable
  43. Sep 27, 2012
    I really wanted to give this game a low score - it so clearly a bad port from consoles, where I cannot even configure the number pad separately from anything else - I mean it so aggravating, it's aggrifying (horrifyingly aggravating). That said, the is addictively fun. It is an very linear FPS with a bare but serviceable story, but everything clicked - for meat least: simple but funI really wanted to give this game a low score - it so clearly a bad port from consoles, where I cannot even configure the number pad separately from anything else - I mean it so aggravating, it's aggrifying (horrifyingly aggravating). That said, the is addictively fun. It is an very linear FPS with a bare but serviceable story, but everything clicked - for meat least: simple but fun racing, a good shoot em up, the beautiful scenery, the story, and the building weapons, even the minigames were both original and fun and that never happens. The FPS elements are awesomely butter smooth - I have never seen AI so good at evading you while coming toward the player AND the most amazing thing I ever have seen - actual acknowledgement of where they got shot. If you shoot an opponent in the side, he will grab his side; if you shoot him in the leg, he will limp. Also, they acknowledge your weapons and take evasive action accordingly ("watch out he is has a wingstick!"). I had a lot of fun customizing and building weapons; it's sort of up to you - do you prefer to build robots to walk alongside you, or just buy lots of armor and shoot it out. They have a stealth system but it's very very primitive at best, but you can try it. Finally, even though the game is not very hard per se (even Hard was very easy but hard on your ammo), they do keep uping the challenge level as you go, with enemies having more armor, or using creative tactics. At first, I though ho-hum they will just keep reusing the same space with the same boring enemies - they do reusue a lot of space, but it's done creatively and also there are some stunning surprises like Dead City or the Jackal bandits which was nothing short of AMAZING. So, I'll give it an 8, even though arguably it is really a 7. Expand
  44. Aug 31, 2012
    Despite technical issues and horrendously ugly textures, Rage is an exceptionally fun game that expertly merges precise combat, wasteland exploration, questing, and mini-games into a compelling package. **** The perfectly paced levels are full of interesting sights and clever enemies. The rock-solid shooting mechanics and diverse weaponry delivers satisfaction kill after kill. The loot,Despite technical issues and horrendously ugly textures, Rage is an exceptionally fun game that expertly merges precise combat, wasteland exploration, questing, and mini-games into a compelling package. **** The perfectly paced levels are full of interesting sights and clever enemies. The rock-solid shooting mechanics and diverse weaponry delivers satisfaction kill after kill. The loot, bartering, and crafting systems are easy to use and greatly reward enterprising players. **** The characters, who are detailed and expertly animated, deliver a sense of believability as they speak their minds and further the story. The wasteland ties everything together, letting you explore and progress at your own tempo. **** To sum it up, Rage offers a purebred FPS experience that maintains the classic id-shooter feel while perfectly mixing in modern conventions. It is an outstanding game and an exemplar of the genre. It gets a 9/10 but since all the fools gave it a 0, I give it a 10/10. Expand
  45. Aug 17, 2012
    A very nice and fun shooter that is so much in one game. The game is open world but also has designed levels, it's an RPG, and even a racing game.
    I'm not a fan of racing games but the car controls in this game are excellent and just perfect for me, you also use your car to fight enemies in the open road , you grab a mission from someone and use your car to go the destination you needed. The game has a bit of a retro feel to it, there is no limit to the guns you carry or hell! there is no limit to the ammo either and there are plenty of enemies to kill in this game. Also there are Iron Sights which I hate in FPS but you don't have to use it, the crosshair works just fine with all weapons besides the Sniper of course. The game has towns with NPCs that give you quests and sell you stuff like ammunition and ingredients for crafting, and also there are very fun minigames throughout the game. The levels are well designed and the overall the storyline is nice, although the ending didn't feel like I finished the game, it just felt like it ended in the middle...
  46. Aug 7, 2012
    Bored of all my present games, I keep getting new ones hoping something will keep me entertained, this one did it. Yeah it's a bit linear, not a sandbox for the most part, but it's actually been really fun! Kind of reminds me of borderlands, but I always hated the sketched cartoon look of borderlands. I also wasnt that crazy about the leveling system. This game does away with all the stuffBored of all my present games, I keep getting new ones hoping something will keep me entertained, this one did it. Yeah it's a bit linear, not a sandbox for the most part, but it's actually been really fun! Kind of reminds me of borderlands, but I always hated the sketched cartoon look of borderlands. I also wasnt that crazy about the leveling system. This game does away with all the stuff I did not like about borderlands, in fact, prior to playing borderlands this game is what I thought borderlands would be.

The graphics (artwork) are top notch, and honestly they put alot of work in on artwork, and acting is good. Every new area I go to I find myself looking around and taking it in. Get this on a steam sale and you can't go wrong IMO.

I read alot about bugs and bad filters on this game but I experienced none of that on my system. i7 proc with 8ghz ram and 560 Ti Nvidia graphix card. All settings maxed out, 60 frames with a few drops in towns, but only like five frames here and there.

Hope this helped some bored dude like me.

PS
    I gave it 9 out of 10 because I am a big fan of sandbox games, and the co-op is a bit weak. You should be able to do the entire game in co-op, not just a few missions. Nice bonus they had that at least because that is what made me buy it to try it.
  47. Jul 22, 2012
    Meh, don't really get all the hate. I had a friggen blast playing this on a rig that's mostly several years old with the one newish piece being more of a sidegrade than an actual upgrade considering I replaced what was a top of the line video card when I bought it with what's currently a middle of the road card at best. Game looks great, actually takes advantage of the PC-centric tons ofMeh, don't really get all the hate. I had a friggen blast playing this on a rig that's mostly several years old with the one newish piece being more of a sidegrade than an actual upgrade considering I replaced what was a top of the line video card when I bought it with what's currently a middle of the road card at best. Game looks great, actually takes advantage of the PC-centric tons of guns load out as opposed to what's become the norm of 3 - 4 weapons just to better suit controllers, the racing is fun, the setting is great, and I've just generally had a good time. User ratings on meta-critic are pretty much useless any way. ME 3 has a **** score based almost entirely on the ending, the games has a **** score based largely on glitches that have been resolved, etc, etc, etc. User ratings essentially break down into fans taking issue with one particular thing as opposed to judging the game in it's entirety. Expand
  48. Jun 4, 2012
    I'm going to preface this review by saying that I absolutely HATED Doom 3, and thought Quake 4 was insanely boring. I am no id fanboy. I laughed at how virulently people railed against this game when it came out and thought "Yeah you tell 'em, fans! Developers can't get away with this trash any more!" Then I actually played it. I picked it up on sale for $5 or something ridiculous, andI'm going to preface this review by saying that I absolutely HATED Doom 3, and thought Quake 4 was insanely boring. I am no id fanboy. I laughed at how virulently people railed against this game when it came out and thought "Yeah you tell 'em, fans! Developers can't get away with this trash any more!" Then I actually played it. I picked it up on sale for $5 or something ridiculous, and once I fired it up, I was fairly well blown away. This game will invariably be compared to Borderlands, but they're not even close to the same type of game. Borderlands is an open-world, sanbox-shooter. Rage is a much more linear, story-driven shooter. Granted the story is sort of lame, but that's the genre Rage fits in. The graphics are absolutely gorgeous. Sure, zoomed in all the way on certain textures makes it look ugly, but the scenery and level design are absolutely top-notch, and there were quite a few times in the game where I paused to simply admire the view. I like it when that much love goes into designing the environments. The character models are EXTREMELY well-done as well, and their animations are amazing. The characters have pores, individual chest-hairs, skin blemishes, and you can see their irises (they even make minute little movements when they're looking at you, just like a real person does). The game is very well optimized, too. My laptop has a 2.2GHz C2D processor with a 1GB mobile 9800GTS, and it ran absolutely fine for the entire game. I had most of the graphics options (of which there are not very many) turned down, but it still looked awesome (and ran way better than games like Dungeon Siege 3). If the game weren't almost 25GB, I'd be inclined to download it again on my new gaming desktop and try it out with the options maxed. Anyway, a lot of the praise I've heard of this game is aimed at the racing portion of the game, but I thought the driving aspect was rather annoying. Thankfully there are only a few required races in the story, and they are INSANELY easy. Seriously, when I was racing the "best racer in town," I was ahead of him by an entire half-lap at the end of our 3 lap race. Speaking of which, this whole game is rather easy. I played it on Normal, but am now wishing I played it on hard. I had to use the defibrillator thing exactly 1 time outside of the little training thing. I have a feeling the higher difficulties would be annoying though, since the game will throw wave after wave after wave of the little weak grunt guys at you. I'm not sure if the designers thought that would make it challenging, or were merely trying to make you waste ammo. There were a few parts in the game where I shouted at my screen "Alright! ENOUGH with the stupid little guys!" One last thing, the guns look/behave amazingly. The shotgun model is one of the coolest-looking guns I have ever seen in a video game, and thankfully (unlike other id games) when you pull the trigger, the guns go BOOM! No more of that stupid toy sound like Doom 3 had. This is a game you will want to crank up the video and sound. The ending is abrupt and rather anti-climactic, but you know it's coming. It's not like Halo 2, where there was just suddenly not a next level. Speaking of endings, this review's ending will be right after this period. Expand
  49. Jun 2, 2012
    This is probably best game of the year. Not too much RPG elements but just enough to put some variety in game and provide awesome fun to shooter fans. RPG fans would probably not love Rage that much because it's too much packed with action. Fallout boring is much more recommended, so advice to all RPG fans to keep as far possible.

There are also 2 bad things in the game. 1) Don't want

There are also 2 bad things in the game. 1) Don't want to provide spoilers but ending is really BAD!
    2) In my opinion creators were in some kind of rush with deadlines. While first part of the game is perfect 2nd part looks somehow "unfinished".
  50. May 22, 2012
    Rage is one of the best first person shooters in existence. Awesome graphics and fluid, responsive gunplay set it above all other games of this genre. Rage really is one of the finest games ever made.
  51. May 15, 2012
    Technically superb; great SFX, sound-acting, music, excellent graphics and lighting, gripping facial expressions and immersive world. The characters are very convincing and have personalities. The world and characters respond to your game progression when you bump into them in the cities, providing a great role-playing atmosphere. Many mini-games to keep players occupied; although most ofTechnically superb; great SFX, sound-acting, music, excellent graphics and lighting, gripping facial expressions and immersive world. The characters are very convincing and have personalities. The world and characters respond to your game progression when you bump into them in the cities, providing a great role-playing atmosphere. Many mini-games to keep players occupied; although most of them are generic and not highly inspiring, they're a welcome addition to the hybrid game. Action and gameplay-wise, though, the game isn't too revolutionary. It isn't bad by all means, but it doesn't have a highly satisfying moment throughout the story. Still, it is a great fun amidst all the generic shooters nowadays. As of 2012, most of the bugs and technical issues have been fixed. Expand
  52. May 7, 2012
    All bugs aside, this is a damn fun game. I find it sad how so many people hated it, and while I can see why, I myself thought it was really fun. The shooting is solid, the ai is good, the new engine (while buggy, derp) is fun and done pretty well. Nice job, ID, just make sure Rage 2 is better cared for.
  53. Mar 17, 2012
    The game IMO was fun, the story was no where near the greatest but the game play itself made up for it. I never got much of an RPG feel from the game from the get go and never got the vibe in the long run either. The game at launch was for sure not worth the price but once the price dropped I believe it is a fair deal. (60 bucks for a game you can finish in about 5-7 hrs) Btw, I was one ofThe game IMO was fun, the story was no where near the greatest but the game play itself made up for it. I never got much of an RPG feel from the game from the get go and never got the vibe in the long run either. The game at launch was for sure not worth the price but once the price dropped I believe it is a fair deal. (60 bucks for a game you can finish in about 5-7 hrs) Btw, I was one of the lucky few that never had a problem with a buggy, or glitch filled game on the release day, mine ran perfectly from the get go. Expand
  54. Mar 4, 2012
    RAGE (Steam PC) Released 2011 Oct (Id / Bethesda) Played 2012 Feb
    Genre: Action and Adventure with racing minigames,
    Overall Score 9.5, Controls 10, Graphics 9, Story 10, Audio 10, DRM Steam only - thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title. I really enjoyed this game; slick and fast first person action, this game pulls you along with story and missions to keep you
    RAGE (Steam PC) Released 2011 Oct (Id / Bethesda) Played 2012 Feb
    Genre: Action and Adventure with racing minigames,
    Overall Score 9.5,
    Controls 10,
    Graphics 9,
    Story 10,
    Audio 10,
    DRM Steam only - thank goodness there is no GamesForWindowsLive on this title.

I really enjoyed this game; slick and fast first person action, this game pulls you along with story and missions to keep you hooked. [Story] A meteor has hit the earth and killed off the humans. You are a survivor thanks to having been dormant in a protected Ark. You emerge from the Ark to find a modern day wild west with The Authority trying to dominate, colonies of survivors, bandits, mutants, cool looking clothes and tattoos ! Comparisons to Borderlands will be inevitable but they are different games - both great. Commerce and construction of in-game items is straight forward, essential and fun - do not miss out - build as many robots as you can and use them when you are outnumbered in the game. This game hits the FPS sweet spot, after 45 hours of game play I really wish there had been more side missions. I am hoping for DLC : )

[Challenges] There is a main story has missions and in each colony there are side missions to accomplish; racing missions to upgrade your car, commando missions to clean out infested mutant tunnels, item missions to build or acquire special items, snipping missions to defend transactions. On normal difficulty I was able to accomplish 90% of the missions the first time through without a reload - I am OK with that; if you are an FPS dog then turn it up a notch! In FPS sections, the game space and environment is big enough with lots of room for flanking, covering, sniping, run and gun; all the usual elements that we have come to love in FPS. Weapons are awesome - especially the Revolver - quite apropos - construct all items and try them all out. Also, the AI is quite good so get your caffeine; I especially enjoyed the AI behaviour depending on damaged limb and physics of the moment - hilarious ! The end story is weak and kind on makes you feel like Halo2 - suddenly it is over....The physics and the control of the fully upgraded dune buggy in one of the bumpier maps made one minigame race very very very hard, it took me 30 races to take first place, compared to 1-4 for all others!

[Audience and Skill level] All skills levels will like this Game Smoothie - a juicy blend of Quake4, Borderlands and Fallout 3 in a beautifully painted landscape tall glass ! Run down to the Steam diner and pick it up now !

[MyPC] i7-2600K 3.4GHz / ASUS Z68 ProGen3 / 8Gig RAM / Radeon 6870 / 1920x1200 / W7 PRO SP1 [Controls] I played with a keyboard and trackball. Keys are easy to remap and show up in the on-screen instructions. Sweet. Controls are tight Tight TIGHT; switching weapons quickly and using the perfect combination as you run and gun is always great fun. This was FPS heaven.
    [Graphics] The game world is simply beautiful, but you will need to use a custom configuration file to make this game playable; find it on the Steam Forum by FusedCore {thanks guy}, it will take you ONLY 10 mins. It amazes me that Id released a game crippled by poor video configurations - but this is a solved issue now. The game never hiccuped after the custom config file: I used the Hi-End config. [Sound] I always play with headphones; voice acting is professional, 3D sound is great, SFX bang on, the music is surprisingly serious and ominous - next time lighten up guys ; )

[Replay+AlternativeModes] This game has a bunch of co-op only levels {Legend} and multiplayer; I should probably check these out.

[Children] Adults only, no if ands or buts.

[MyFavoriteGames] [PC Win7] Rage[PC XP] DeuxExHumanRevolution & TheMissingLink, DeadSpace 1&2, Fallout3, FalloutNewVegas, HalfLife 1&2, Bordelands, BatmanArkumAsylum, AssassinsCreed 1, Magicka, RedFaction, Portal 1&2, FromDust, MrRobot, Sam&MaxSeasons1&2, CulpaInnata, TheSecretOfMonkeyIsland, DreamfallTheLongestJourney, Syberia1&2, CrayonPhysicsDeluxe, DefenseGridTheAwakening, PlantsVsZombies, Prototype, Bioshock1&2, UnrealTournament3, Quake4, [360] AfroSamurai, BrutalLegends [XBOX] HALO, KOTOR1&2, Crackdown, ArmedAndDangerous, AggressiveInline, BeyondGoodAndEvil, DeadOrAlive1&2&3 ExtremeBeachVolleyball, Psychonauts [AppleG4] DeusExMachina, ReturnToZork, Suspended, UnrealTournament, TombRaiderSeries, Suspended [MyUnhappyGames] WorldOfWarcraft {boring} [Born] 1964
  55. Mar 3, 2012
    Some people are so stupid. Sure, Rage isn't the best game on the market. And it does have it's faults. But, it is at the very least a good game. Yes, when it was released it had quite a few problems. But all of the bugs have been addressed; the game has been patched multiple times since it's release and plays wonderfully for the most part. If it's not working for you now, it's eitherSome people are so stupid. Sure, Rage isn't the best game on the market. And it does have it's faults. But, it is at the very least a good game. Yes, when it was released it had quite a few problems. But all of the bugs have been addressed; the game has been patched multiple times since it's release and plays wonderfully for the most part. If it's not working for you now, it's either because you're stupid, your PC sucks, or both. I don't have any trouble running the game with my i5 2500k and two 6970s crossfired. I get well over 60fps maxed, and it looks great. The shooting is fantastic. The ballistics engine is lifelike and satisfying. The graphics do look fantastic, although there can be some pop-in from time to time. The story is somewhat forgettable, as is to be expected of this type of game. Well, not so much the story, but the story telling. Going from NPC to NPC running fetch quests can and does get a little old. I will say this about Rage: the story's plot is actually pretty good. The opening sequence of the game is one of the most beautiful and moving openings that I have seen in a while. This game really has a lot going for it. Probably it's biggest strength, even in spite of all of it's shortcomings, is the it's just an absolute blast to play. Wow. Look at all of those 0 scores below. Are you people really that stupid? Look at what the reviewers scored it at on average. That is more like it. And you wonder why game developers NEVER listen to fans. You have no credibility. You're fickle. You are all fickle. Rage, a 0? It is idiots like you that bring down the average score. Instead of being fair, you morons give the game a 0. Why? Because you want your review to make a difference, by God!!! Little pathetic punks. I thought about giving Rage a 10, because in light of all of these false reviews, it needs all of that help it can get. But you know what? I won't. Then I wouldn't be better than you, for I know that reviews should be fair, based on a rational mind. 8.5/10 Expand
  56. Feb 23, 2012
    I purchased this game a while after it came out and after a simple tune up to my graphics card, it was ready to go. I play on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Experienced no problems except for a very slight rendering problem in some areas. The graphics are amazing, the story is a little shallow, but fun and the ending was somewhat of a bummer, but overall, the game plays well, is interestingI purchased this game a while after it came out and after a simple tune up to my graphics card, it was ready to go. I play on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. Experienced no problems except for a very slight rendering problem in some areas. The graphics are amazing, the story is a little shallow, but fun and the ending was somewhat of a bummer, but overall, the game plays well, is interesting and I will play through again on harder mode. I gave this game an 8 because I think that the story could have been developed a little better and because the ending left me hanging. This is a good FPS and the guns are fun to use, as well as the ammo choices. Didn't care much for the buggy's or driving mechanics of the game but once I was used to them, it was manageable. The voice acting was good if somewhat limited in dialogue but no real complaints. The easter eggs are fun to get and there are a lot of things to to hunt for and find, which i liked.

The card game is fun. I was a big fan of the card game in FFVIII, so the game in RAGE was acceptable. Overall, a great product and if a sequel comes out, I will buy it.
  57. Feb 17, 2012
    I really, truly mean a 10. This is not a score to cancel out any other score or some misplaced sense of duty to id. I really had a degree of enjoyment with this game that surprised me, especially seeing most people's reaction. Yes, the textures are blurry up close. This is a game that appeals to an art museum perspective, that is, from a distant viewpoint for the greatest reaction. I findI really, truly mean a 10. This is not a score to cancel out any other score or some misplaced sense of duty to id. I really had a degree of enjoyment with this game that surprised me, especially seeing most people's reaction. Yes, the textures are blurry up close. This is a game that appeals to an art museum perspective, that is, from a distant viewpoint for the greatest reaction. I find so little to actually complain about- you have perfect fps controls, excellent driving, a toolset of different combat options that remind me of half life 2 or crysis or bioshock in terms of open-ended-ness. The enemy animations are so far beyond most games it's not worth comparing. The plot/narrative characterization won't win any awards, but the environmental storytelling will. It is its own character and it succeeds on many levels. That aesthetic direction appeals to my personal sensibilities more than others, clearly. And that's fine. I played this on the hardest difficulty right off the bat, and i think it's the right decision for an advanced pc fps gamer. (i am by no means a CS fiend or any kind of savant, btw)...............Just enjoy it for what it is/was....we probably won't see a return to the universe of rage's wasteland. Expand
  58. Feb 15, 2012
    I was very hyped up for this title to be released but all what I received was something i didn't expect would happen. The story is pretty **** especially the ending. However, The game does offer a terrific and amazing graphic, shooting mechanics and AI functionally. I also enjoying the twisted metal like feel when you are cruising through the wasteland killing any bandits that youI was very hyped up for this title to be released but all what I received was something i didn't expect would happen. The story is pretty **** especially the ending. However, The game does offer a terrific and amazing graphic, shooting mechanics and AI functionally. I also enjoying the twisted metal like feel when you are cruising through the wasteland killing any bandits that you encounter. So in the long run the game is good but not great as it should of been. I would not prefer you to spend $60 on it but it is worth $40-$50 though. Expand
  59. Feb 12, 2012
    Excellent game, I understand there were some problems around launch time with bad drivers (AMD is usually pretty bad when it comes to new games right?) and I believe also a lack of options in the video settings.

With those problems fixed now, along with other fixes and a few good patches the game is really pretty amazing. Has kept me fully enthralled over the last few days playing both single and multiplayer modes.

Really just a very underrated game here, the gunplay is so satisfying, it makes the gunplay in games like bf3 or mw3 feel 'soggy' if that makes sense. Sort of like the difference between typing on a nice high quality mechanical keyboard VS typing on an old beaten up cheapo dell rubber dome keyboard.

The story was a little lacking, and I would have liked to see a few more rpg-ish elements here and there, but overall it is just a blast, from the shooting to the driving to just being really fully sucked in to the world by the astoundingly good graphics (the sky in particular is really just amazing).
  60. Feb 4, 2012
    Rage brought me back to fps. Really. Its really fun straight forward shooter with some rpg elements. The shooting which is the most important part of FPS feels really great for each weapon. The animations and reactions on bullet hits are amazing. Long time I have not enjoyed fps so much. This is truly old scool shooter with some up to date elements. I didi not fall for the racing segments,Rage brought me back to fps. Really. Its really fun straight forward shooter with some rpg elements. The shooting which is the most important part of FPS feels really great for each weapon. The animations and reactions on bullet hits are amazing. Long time I have not enjoyed fps so much. This is truly old scool shooter with some up to date elements. I didi not fall for the racing segments, but Its nice addition. The detail of grpahics is absolutly stunning. Simply I really like thi game. The biggest issue for me is why they did not implement some classic DM,TDM arenas for multiplayer and stick only to racing. Hopefully the will in future, because with that good handled shooting it would be a waste. Expand
  61. Feb 3, 2012
    Just amazing. If it´s a copy or not from other games i don´t know, but note, many industries does that, all fps are doom clone =p It´s too hard to find a new game that runs up to 30fps in a intel HD 3000, congratilations id software, you didn´t disapoint me with rage... People talk they pass in one day this game, only if they haventJust amazing. If it´s a copy or not from other games i don´t know, but note, many industries does that, all fps are doom clone =p It´s too hard to find a new game that runs up to 30fps in a intel HD 3000, congratilations id software, you didn´t disapoint me with rage... People talk they pass in one day this game, only if they havent social lifes and spend all the day in the game, i´ve passed more than 3 weeks and didn´t complete tha game xd, and the bad part, i miss many things that i didn´t know =/, i´ll need to re-complete again for the full complete mission.

Again, congratilations id software for again i receive from you the best from you!!!
  62. Jan 18, 2012
    Fun but horrible. The"story" is just an excuse to kill enemies, but the "Dead City" missions was amazing. The gunplay is where RAGE excels. Everything is fast and reactive, and the variety of weapons and amoo will keep you from getting bored. The side missions are a nice distraction. They yield a few hours of gameplay, not including the car combat, which is amazingly crafted. The id tech 5Fun but horrible. The"story" is just an excuse to kill enemies, but the "Dead City" missions was amazing. The gunplay is where RAGE excels. Everything is fast and reactive, and the variety of weapons and amoo will keep you from getting bored. The side missions are a nice distraction. They yield a few hours of gameplay, not including the car combat, which is amazingly crafted. The id tech 5 pushes out some amazing graphics too. The co-op is nice, but again, nothing more than a distraction. Fighting mutants is enjoyable and fast paced, nut fighting Authority and Bandits is popping in and out of cover. Play RAGE for the combat, not the story. Expand
  63. Jan 12, 2012
    RAGE is really awesome!!! That's especially true for old-school shooter fans like Doom and Quake. What RAGE brings is, the best shooting experience ever among all FPS games on the market. Through out the game, you will encounter all type of enemies, each ones have their own unique fighting style. Don't think you can hide around the corner or run along the path to make your enemies chasingRAGE is really awesome!!! That's especially true for old-school shooter fans like Doom and Quake. What RAGE brings is, the best shooting experience ever among all FPS games on the market. Through out the game, you will encounter all type of enemies, each ones have their own unique fighting style. Don't think you can hide around the corner or run along the path to make your enemies chasing you around like other sissy shooting games. The mutants will climb, crawl or jump right at your face; the Authorities with organize a squad and tactically attack you; and there are huge monsters will blast the hell out of whatever you are hiding behind. As a result you will find yourself in a tight situation where your eyes have to concentrate on every bullet, you mind has to think about every solution and your mouth has to cry **** **** **** while running like a little rat.

Graphically, the game looks great. RAGE comes with the newest idTech 5, and surely it doesn't disappoint us. The world looks very detailed and the characters are incredibly life-like. In terms of character animation, no game out there is better than RAGE at the moment. The animations are applied for every joint possible, as you can easily see the movement of the character's tongue when saying certain word, the curve of the finger when he press his hand against the table or the movement of the enemies when they are hit on their legs. All animations are extremely unique, like, when someone says "up town", he actually points his finger to the sky, make me wonder could be a real person is talking with me. Everything makes the world of RAGE beautiful and lively. There are some technical issues with RAGE, though, like texture popping or sometimes the game doesn't run at all. Update the game to the newest version as well as update your VGA driver will certainly help.

On the other hand, RAGE is still a FPS game with RPG elements so it may disappoint those fans of RPG shooters like Borderland and Fallout. The open world of RAGE doesn't really help much for exploring or doing side-quests. The Wasteland is rather like a lite version of Twisted Metal where you can drive from place to place and shoot other vehicles. There isn't an option for you to level up your skill and the story is pretty simple and plain, so if you are looking for a RPG shooter, look elsewhere. In a nutshell, RAGE is a game for true FPS hardcore players who are so bored with all "modern" FPS nowadays.
  64. Jan 8, 2012
    Amazing graphics. It left the deepest impression of all the games I've ever seen.
    A good story.
    Excellent gameplay in the spirit of Doom 3 and Quake 4.
    Great game!
  65. Dec 31, 2011
    Honestly, I think the game is great. Story is fine, and I just love the game. I'm only giving it an 8 because of how poorly the game was ported onto PC. The developers should have spent more time improving the graphics, as they look absolutely terrible, for a game that has been developed in fast changing times like these. I have heard some people stating that the graphics look good onHonestly, I think the game is great. Story is fine, and I just love the game. I'm only giving it an 8 because of how poorly the game was ported onto PC. The developers should have spent more time improving the graphics, as they look absolutely terrible, for a game that has been developed in fast changing times like these. I have heard some people stating that the graphics look good on their PC's, but I don't really know about it. Apart from these issues, it's a good game. I'm saddened to see so many people give the game only a 0 or 1, solely in response to the graphics. Nowadays gamers are only pointing out the bad things about most games today. Hopefully that will change. Expand
  66. Dec 31, 2011
    PS to my last review. Whoever said they finished this game in a day is flat out LYING. There is no way someone can finish this game in a day. There are so many side missions, racing mission, and main missions it's impossible. This is a great game with great graphics, amazing sound design and voice acting, and tons of play time. There's even replay value as there are tons of side missionsPS to my last review. Whoever said they finished this game in a day is flat out LYING. There is no way someone can finish this game in a day. There are so many side missions, racing mission, and main missions it's impossible. This is a great game with great graphics, amazing sound design and voice acting, and tons of play time. There's even replay value as there are tons of side missions you might not get to the first time.

A run this game in FULL RESOLUTION and the graphics are beautiful and smooth as butter on my Intel I-5, Windows 7 64 Bit PC. I'm using the GTX560 card with 16 GB of ram installed. This game can only use up to 4GB as it's only the 32 bit version. Don't listen to the haters and Fake Negative Reviews by competition. This game is fun, offers a large mix of activities and is done very well.
  67. Dec 28, 2011
    I was enraged with this game at the beginning: buggy graphics, linear plot and gameplay, repetitive levels. But more I played, more I enjoyed it. RAGE has an atmosphere that was always an essential part of id software's games: mesmerizing, captivating.
  68. Dec 26, 2011
    Very fun game, fast and dynamic, the graphics are great too, i think that they have fixed the problems that the players were having in the release. The story is fine.
  69. Dec 25, 2011
    Vastly underrated, this game recieved the hate it did only because of "raging" PC gamers and their incredible sense of entitlement. I am a PC gamer myself, and I feel ashamed to be part of a community that hates a perfectly good game such as this.

The common complaints are the performance, lack of delivery for the promise of "open ended" gameplay, and numerous bugs. For one thing, buy

For one thing, buy and play this game now. For one thing, it no longer lags and it looks absolutely stunning. There are no longer ANY performance issues, and the graphics look even better than Battlefield 3. Serious Sam 3, Saints Row The Third, and Skyrim are games that tote nice graphics or DX11 options, but run poorly or have uneven performance due to bad optimization... Battlefield 3 runs on high for me with great performance, however with my 6850 HD graphics card. But that's not the point, the point is that id listened to our complaints as PC gamers and they delivered fixes. Drivers have been released that have long fixed the performance problems. This is no longer an issue.

Open world games are overrated in my opinion. I don't get that sense of "scale" or "sandbox gameplay" that other gamers obsess over.. To me, I prefer games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, that OFFER multiple paths but are still linear with a clear goal in front of me. Sometimes, linear is better simply because it is comforting and offers a clear routine or path. There is nothing wrong with open ended gameplay, but id is masterful at creating corridor shooters, NOT open world games. Expecting Rage to be anything more is utter nonsense, regardless of what John Carmack promised. I think he only promised from HIS perspective of what "open ended" means... not OUR ridiculous standards as spoiled gamers these days.

The bugs are also mostly gone. People need to take back their poor reviews this instant, it doesn't deserve a score this low. To me, this game deserves at least a 8, or a 9. It's amazing, immersive, fun, and not one bit "boring" as anyone claims. This game being "boring" is just **** from spoiled gamers who expect far too much from gaming... it's time to finally relax, immerse yourself, and ENJOY this game, especially with the lower price.

However, if you want something truly open ended or "masterful", go obsess over Skyrim and don't go play underrated open ended games like Rage or Deus Ex Human Revolution. Don't get me wrong, Skyrim is a great game, but it's a perfect example of sloppy PC optimization... again. Even RAGE fixed these performance issues by now!!

Now, I'll take my leave, I hope you all take something from my review, and reconsider Rage for your game library!
  70. Dec 25, 2011
    Old classic shooter!!! I donâ
  71. Dec 24, 2011
    I am several hours into the game and I am having a blast. Yes, it's linear but so was Quake I and Quake II and those were great games. It is not Call of Duty linear where you simply need to run to a checkpoint in order to stop infinite respawn of bad guys. I do not experience any technical issues, with AMD Radeon HD5770 and 12.1 Catalyst drivers. Gameplay wise it is very similar to myI am several hours into the game and I am having a blast. Yes, it's linear but so was Quake I and Quake II and those were great games. It is not Call of Duty linear where you simply need to run to a checkpoint in order to stop infinite respawn of bad guys. I do not experience any technical issues, with AMD Radeon HD5770 and 12.1 Catalyst drivers. Gameplay wise it is very similar to my favorite Borderlands. Shooting wise it's perfect, just like you would expect from the creators of Quake. I believe the game is not fairly treated by a lot of gamers who simply expected it to be something else. Expand
  72. Dec 23, 2011
    Boring story, but funny game :)
    Yeah, with some graphic bugs.. And don't bad multiplayer!
    Well, if you like Fallout 3 and Boderlands-you must buy it!
  73. Dec 17, 2011
    rage was a good game and i really enjoy it specially the dead city mission.but it has a very big problem and that was its graphic because it take 5 or more seconds to render the picture.it could be the best shooter in VGA 2011.I enjoyed it.
  74. Dec 14, 2011
    Rage could have been an awesome game if they finished it, now it's just good. I don't mind the bugs, because after the patches it was playable, although it still crashes occasionally. The thing that bothers me more is the many buildings, locations and even doors in this game that just seem to be there, unused, not even for a simple sidequest. Instead of using all those spots they justRage could have been an awesome game if they finished it, now it's just good. I don't mind the bugs, because after the patches it was playable, although it still crashes occasionally. The thing that bothers me more is the many buildings, locations and even doors in this game that just seem to be there, unused, not even for a simple sidequest. Instead of using all those spots they just filled the game up by sending you to the area's they did design twice, with just some small changes made. The worst is the ending, which is beyond rushed. The final level looks amazing, but it's short, repetitive and when it was all over left me with an unfulfilled feeling. The final battle and ending is one of the most disappointing in gaming history and I'm not exaggerating. Not just because it's easy (even on nightmare setting the game is a breeze), but also because it's just very anti-climactic.

That said, the game is still fun to play overall. It looks beautiful and the engine (when it works) is fast while everything looks great too. I do get the feeling they left things out to make it faster, like realistic gun lighting, flashlights, or any kind of dynamic light. It could be that the automatic video settings removed this for me, but I highly doubt that. The truly great thing about this game is the AI and the way enemies behave. They jump around, evade, duck, do flying kicks, hide, flank you, climb walls and ceilings, shoot around corners, advance, or retreat/regroup when losing, etc. It's definitely the best AI I've seen in a while. Too bad you play such an overpowered character, otherwise they'd be a real challenge.

In the end the worst this game does is give you the idea that there's more, when there isn't. But there still is a lot. Easily a few evenings of playing time if you're a bit of a completionist, which is more than some top titles offer.

P.S. A lot of people complain that it's a console port, which it definitely is. You should really be happy they still make PC games, ports or not. I rather have a port than no game at all, which seems to be the way things are heading for the over-pirated PC marked.
  75. Dec 11, 2011
    First of all, I'd like to point out that I have not finished the story yet as I've not got much time for gaming lately, but have been spending considerable hours with the game.

When the game first launched, I read about all those texture popping issues, and then there was issues with people with AMD GPUs not being able to play the game due to lack ( which IMO is caused by technonoobs that tried to max the game with a crappy HD5570 2GB ddr3) .

The former issue was OK and didn't hinder gameplay and was just annoying, mostly fixed with the 1st update, yet still occurs slightly in some areas, but the latter problem regarding AMD GPUs......Im a bit skeptical as I myself is a proud owner of a Radeon 6950 GPU and is currently playing the game at50fps++ with 8*MSAA.

Graphics are great, would look better if the colors are more intensive,
    characters are ok, story ( so far) is meeting my expectations and gameplay elements are not bad, the only problem I have now is with it's annoying saving system that doesn't auto save or not allow you to save between 2 intervals in some areas/missions which is a bit annoying if you die.
  76. Dec 9, 2011
    I have an average gaming pc and the game ran flawlessly except for one anamoly when it first started. The screen was filled with multicolored triangles. I rebooted and I completed the game without a single problem. The ending was a disappointment, however. I have no idea what I accomplished. No feedback from the game in the form of a verbal or written epilogue or even a discussionI have an average gaming pc and the game ran flawlessly except for one anamoly when it first started. The screen was filled with multicolored triangles. I rebooted and I completed the game without a single problem. The ending was a disappointment, however. I have no idea what I accomplished. No feedback from the game in the form of a verbal or written epilogue or even a discussion with the captain. Other than that, and that is significant in my opinion, the game was an enjoyable shooter. A side bar: The driving portions of the game are an utter pain in the ass with a mouse/keyboard. Once I hooked up an xbox controller it was considerably more fun. Expand
  77. Dec 3, 2011
    Sure the game may have had some technical flaws at the beginning but it WAS NOT unplayable. Granted i did have a NVidia card. I had high hopes for this game when i preordered it on steam back in August. I was let down by the short, bland story and very linear levels and world but there is no denying the polished vehicle combat and solid shooter aspects of the game. It is still extremelySure the game may have had some technical flaws at the beginning but it WAS NOT unplayable. Granted i did have a NVidia card. I had high hopes for this game when i preordered it on steam back in August. I was let down by the short, bland story and very linear levels and world but there is no denying the polished vehicle combat and solid shooter aspects of the game. It is still extremely fun and addicting to play. If the story were was well written and longer this game would easily be another blockbuster hit. Expand
  78. Dec 2, 2011
    Rage was possibly one of the worst game launchs in recent memory. Driver issues, lack of PC graphic options, and bugs. While it's pretty common in most game launches to see any or all of these problems, with Rage it seemed to be the perfect storm. Combined with horrible open GL driver support from ATI, Rage really never got off the starting line. >< IF you toughed it out there was a prettyRage was possibly one of the worst game launchs in recent memory. Driver issues, lack of PC graphic options, and bugs. While it's pretty common in most game launches to see any or all of these problems, with Rage it seemed to be the perfect storm. Combined with horrible open GL driver support from ATI, Rage really never got off the starting line. >< IF you toughed it out there was a pretty good FPS hiding under all the chaos. >< Rage doesn't do anything new but rather incorporates alot of ideas that id had done well in previous games. Level design is excellent albeit a tad too linear with return visits to certain levels via side-quests. The enemies you face have better AI and are more diverse then the "Hey, let's re-skin the same mindless human model 20 times"--military shooter(s). The driving sections and racing are very arcade-ish, decent but can become repetitive also. Rage offers tons of customization, be it your car, or weapons, or items, you're given many creative ways to reign down death. Graphically the game is gorgeous, gripes about low-res textures aside, Rage is one of the best looking games around. Multiplayer is a car combat Twisted Metal style affair, which to be honest I only tried once, and didn't much care for. >< Rage wasn't the second coming of FPS that many had hoped but it's no way near as bad as some would like you to believe either. I'd recommend Rage to anyone with a decent PC now that the price has dropped. Expand
  79. Dec 2, 2011
    I love this game best ever played all I can say :). I would not change anything about this game it also a lot to it and so much to do and the graphics are well detailed and the gameplay is outstanding.
  80. Nov 29, 2011
    Entretenido juego FPS con un poco de rol, limitado un poco por los problemas con el hardware y los controladores, pero bastante entretenido, con una banda sonora muy conseguida y un guión que a mi me ha gustado bastante. Lo arreglaron bastante con el parche que sacaron poco después del juego y el que viene ahora el 6 de diciembre esperemos que lo mejore del todo.Entretenido juego FPS con un poco de rol, limitado un poco por los problemas con el hardware y los controladores, pero bastante entretenido, con una banda sonora muy conseguida y un guión que a mi me ha gustado bastante. Lo arreglaron bastante con el parche que sacaron poco después del juego y el que viene ahora el 6 de diciembre esperemos que lo mejore del todo. Muy buenas las carreras con el bugy, pero al juego le faltan muchas horas de desarrollo, Carmack se tiene que poner las pilas si no quiere perder a los jugadores de PC para siempre, veremos a ver que nos prepara con Doom 4 y esperemos que no sea otro cutreport de consola. Expand
  81. Nov 24, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I ran the game on my old Geforce 8800 in hi-res/high detail. I had a Graphic bug on the first day which was most annoying if I got hit by a bullet. But on the second day a patch installed fixing my problem. Ran the game with no problem since. The engineering was cool, but the need for items like the RC car was short lived. Would have made a better game if they were still needed further in the game to get to other areas, Zelda is a good reference for this. Side Quests like Zelda would have also been good in this game. Although you could do some exploring, the game was very linear. I felt the ending was rushed and came to soon, I was hoping for a third Wasteland (The City) were I would run into the Authority more. Hopefully this will come with the Blue Station Expansion. The biggest issue I had with the game was after the credits you didnt get to escape back into the wasteland. I want to play the card game again with all the cards I collected. Plus I became very addicted to Tombstone. Expand
  82. Nov 21, 2011
    super jeux qui nous change des séries cod ou battlefield je le recomande fortement pour l'aventure.
    certes il y a peut d'arme, mais sa reste jouissif.
  83. Nov 18, 2011
    Had to register and post here because I know a smear campaign when I see one. So many ratings of "0" from people one user review total on this site. So, this is my first review here too, because I feel pretty strongly about this game. I thoroughly enjoyed Rage. However, yes, the graphics were bugged on release. Carmac is quoted as saying that the wrong GPU drivers were available on releaseHad to register and post here because I know a smear campaign when I see one. So many ratings of "0" from people one user review total on this site. So, this is my first review here too, because I feel pretty strongly about this game. I thoroughly enjoyed Rage. However, yes, the graphics were bugged on release. Carmac is quoted as saying that the wrong GPU drivers were available on release day and the whole situation was a "custer****". Sucks to be at the blunt end of that bureaucracy. I fixed mine on release day with a few easy .cfg tweaks but I don't expect everyone to be so patient. On the other hand I had a friend who got it who has a more updated PC that had no issues whatsoever. Since then id has patched the game and AFAIK everything is peachy now.

The game itself is amazing. Can't say how many "omfg this is incredible" moments I had throughout. This is really a work of interactive digital art. The design of the world is insanely cool. It's so fun. If I could say one bad thing about the game itself, the ending was depressing, mostly because the game was over and I wanted to play more. Took me about 14-15 hours and I think I did most of the side-missions. Time for Nightmare mode and co-op I guess!

Pros: Animations and character detail (so cool to shoot someone and watch their frame react realistically). Pace of game is nicely split between car combat and FPS shooting. Crafting is cool, easy and fun (can't say that about any other game). Voice acting is really good. Overall art design is the best I have ever seen. Graphics are just insanely beautiful and lovingly crafted- this is one of the most unique and gorgeous worlds I've ever seen in a game.

Cons: Ending was very disappointing, not just because it meant the game was over but because the final boss didn't feel like a final boss at all to me. There is something of a cliffhanger at the end though. I am eagerly awaiting the chance to gobble up any DLC they release.

I loved Rage through and through and highly recommend giving it a shot. 10/10 for being a beautiful, fun, original, and developer-beloved work of art.
  84. Nov 11, 2011
    you guys are a bunch of short-bus tard-helmet-wearing idiots. this game's AH-MAY-ZINNNGGGG. I'm running it on my Dell Studio XPS laptop without a hitch. no frame-rate issues, no nada. The game is fun as hell and all kinds of eye-candy and the last time i checked basically ALL open-world FPS RPG's are all about "fetch-missions". Hell, Dead Island was one big fetch-mission with bugs andyou guys are a bunch of short-bus tard-helmet-wearing idiots. this game's AH-MAY-ZINNNGGGG. I'm running it on my Dell Studio XPS laptop without a hitch. no frame-rate issues, no nada. The game is fun as hell and all kinds of eye-candy and the last time i checked basically ALL open-world FPS RPG's are all about "fetch-missions". Hell, Dead Island was one big fetch-mission with bugs and issues out the ass and STILL has replay value on par with the likes of Borderlands and New Vegas. Quit whining and get out of your Mom's basement once in a while you porkly neck-bearded basement-dwellers. xD xD xD Expand
  85. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game, fun, great shooter, very original, like no other game its like fallout but none of the picky stuff just all action and straight to the point. The reason it doesn't get 10 is because its too short. 18 hours game play roughly and that was on nightmare first time playing.
  86. Nov 10, 2011
    Rage is a post-apocolyptic shooter that will satisfy the Mad Max in all of us. This game does Borderlands better than Borderlands. After solving all my PC issues & Squashing all the bugs to get this game working, i was left with a real treat. A very sandy, dirty, gritty treat. Other than the setting, The gameplay is original, the story is solid, and the characters are believable. & IRage is a post-apocolyptic shooter that will satisfy the Mad Max in all of us. This game does Borderlands better than Borderlands. After solving all my PC issues & Squashing all the bugs to get this game working, i was left with a real treat. A very sandy, dirty, gritty treat. Other than the setting, The gameplay is original, the story is solid, and the characters are believable. & I havent loved an apocolyptic world this much since Mad Max. Thank you ID. Expand
  87. Nov 9, 2011
    Runs great, looks great and puts a smile on my face. I tried the Fallout series and sorry to say they seemed a bit "slow" and clunky for me. This is what I expected of the FO Series. You have a way to move around a bit better in this one and although a bit over the top, the badguys seem to work out well in this. Come On..they are the makers of DoOM!.. I enjoyed finding the secret rooms andRuns great, looks great and puts a smile on my face. I tried the Fallout series and sorry to say they seemed a bit "slow" and clunky for me. This is what I expected of the FO Series. You have a way to move around a bit better in this one and although a bit over the top, the badguys seem to work out well in this. Come On..they are the makers of DoOM!.. I enjoyed finding the secret rooms and replay is a plus. They could have had a 10/10 just by adding a 16 player deathmatch to this roaming the whole map! ofcourse 64 player would be even better..:) Nice job ID..look forward to more patches and dlc for this one.. enjoyed it. Expand
  88. Nov 8, 2011
    My initial impression was that of a game sadly lacking in depth. But Rage's saving grace is that it is unapologetically so. I never felt immersed in the story by doing any of the banal errands that essentially make up the storyline. The hyperbolic and macho NPCs offer entrainment only as unwilling parodies on the clichés and caricatures they are based on. The world is so smallMy initial impression was that of a game sadly lacking in depth. But Rage's saving grace is that it is unapologetically so. I never felt immersed in the story by doing any of the banal errands that essentially make up the storyline. The hyperbolic and macho NPCs offer entrainment only as unwilling parodies on the clichés and caricatures they are based on. The world is so small and linear it could make a pocket-calculator feel more caged and estranged than Foucault ever did. I give RAGE a score of 8/10 because none of this matters. This is a shooter devoted solely to the satisfaction of blowing scores of zombies and bad guys to tiny little pieces. Enter a world where ammunition, grenades and high-powered guns are more numerous than hydrogen atoms. Suspense your disbelief and turn off your brain. Devote your attention to the gory and gratuitously pleasing business of visually impressive destruction. The short story with its ridiculously anticlimactic and abrupt end ultimately does not matter. At this point the game has nothing new to offer anyway. Might as well start over. Finally, forget the great atmosphere and intelligence of Fallout 3. Never mind the humor and vivid insanity present in Borderlands. RAGE is wholly centered on the satisfaction of shooting zombies in the head, point blank, with shotguns. Expand
  89. Nov 8, 2011
    Somewhat short but entertaining with excellent graphics. Did not run into any issues with the game at all and there is not much to complain about except the spawning buggies and that the game is fairly short.
  90. Nov 6, 2011
    If you liked Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands, you'll enjoy this game. I cannot understand where all of these negative, whiny reviews are coming from. I've not experienced a single bug, the graphics are awesome on my GeForce 260, and the game play is great. The enemies move so much better than in any other FPS I've played. Rage is to FPS enemies what Dawn of the Dead was to zombies.If you liked Fallout 3, New Vegas, and Borderlands, you'll enjoy this game. I cannot understand where all of these negative, whiny reviews are coming from. I've not experienced a single bug, the graphics are awesome on my GeForce 260, and the game play is great. The enemies move so much better than in any other FPS I've played. Rage is to FPS enemies what Dawn of the Dead was to zombies. As critical as I am about game play, story lines, game mechanics, character models, etc, this game holds up on all fronts.

Note: Most of the ridiculously low reviews seem to be targeting Carmack specifically, as if these silly people are taking this game review personally. There is NO WAY this game deserves a 1 or 0 rating. Freaking Organ Trail doesn't deserve a 0 rating. I encourage you to ignore these ignorant people. Their idiotic reviews should be removed from this site.
  91. Nov 5, 2011
    had some screen rendering trouble at first but was able to fix with ati's rage performance driver fix, i recommend giving this game a second chance if you shelved it earlier, it's grown on me and I'd have to say it's my favorite iD game so far, world and characters are rendered beautifully and both FPS and car combat tasks are fun :o)
  92. Nov 3, 2011
    I thought it was not bad, had no graphics problems myself after downloading the beta driver from nvidia. Some things it did really well, like making the towns seem alive, the card game, and racing. The artwork was good as well. A lot of the missions were a grind + too linear though, and the outdoor buggy travel was in desperate need of an in game map. I quite liked the end, since I had toI thought it was not bad, had no graphics problems myself after downloading the beta driver from nvidia. Some things it did really well, like making the towns seem alive, the card game, and racing. The artwork was good as well. A lot of the missions were a grind + too linear though, and the outdoor buggy travel was in desperate need of an in game map. I quite liked the end, since I had to use the buffs and gadgets for once though the mission was rather short. I certainly had a lot of fun in a lot of parts. Expand
  93. Oct 31, 2011
    Over-hyped and under-delivered in the beginning but fun to play, for the most part. Most of the reviewers here haven't played past the first levels and/or haven't done the update. The driving in this game is great. The texture issue is still a problem for me occasionally, but looking past it, it is a really pretty game, with interesting characters and fun physics for off-road racing. TheOver-hyped and under-delivered in the beginning but fun to play, for the most part. Most of the reviewers here haven't played past the first levels and/or haven't done the update. The driving in this game is great. The texture issue is still a problem for me occasionally, but looking past it, it is a really pretty game, with interesting characters and fun physics for off-road racing. The shooter aspect keeps throwing new and interesting weapons and scenarios. Some of the side missions are replays of previous main missions with different changes (like going through backwards with differently placed enemies), and that would normally be tedious, but the graphics are so good that I want to see it again. Each area has it's own design and distinct look: from the desert to the abandoned city to the new tech city. The only thing I dislike about this game is the mutants. The motion and AI is just too good for these guys, so good I'd say it's the hardest part of the game. Get the graphics update and play with it. You'll see that it really is the prettiest little shooter. It's not a summer blockbuster, but it has its own charm. Expand
  94. Oct 30, 2011
    No, there is no excuse for the fact that it had an(extremely) buggy PC release, especially on ATI cards. And it's also no excuse that, at launch, there were nearly NO visual options. And that even when they release a patch it still doesn't work properly. But still...
    Even though it's not as good as earlier ID software games, it's still pretty darned good.
    I think that the gunplay is good
    I think that the gunplay is good and statisfying, that the AI fluid(Wich is enhanced by gorgeous animations), and that the racing is... fine.

The gameplay is standard FPS/RPG stuff. You take quests in hub areas, then drive to the quest, shoot enemies in the quest area, and then head back to the hub. Really, don't see this as some big RPG-thing as Fallout or Borderlands: Rage is about fun. And fun is the thing I had.
    The only BIG issue I had gameplay&story wise(Besides the fact that the story is kind of lackluster), is the terrible ending. There is no boss whatsoever, you'll just be fighting enemies one second, and be watching the ending cutscene in the other.

There isn't much to say: You may like it, you may not. Long-time ID fans might be a bit dissapointed, but still, the gameplay is quite solid, and I had a blast.
    I'd buy it on a sale or when it drops to 20-30 euros/dollars, because due to the technical errors, it may not be worth your 50/60 dollars.
  95. Oct 28, 2011
    Terrific game and a fantastic new engine. Well worth your time and a must play for anyone who loves ids' past games, with great art direction and simple but very fun gameplay: just typical id. It's a shame that the PC release wasn't given more love but it's nothing a patch can't fix. For this reason I can't give it a 10 ...so id: please don't do this for Doom 4.
  96. Oct 28, 2011
    I think a lot of users are being very harsh towards this game. I am half way through the story (as far as I can tell) and I've found it fairly gripping and enjoyable. It's not heavy though, it doesn't require much thought and in comparison is no where near as epic as Portal 2, but much better than Brink.

The game play is very solid. The mechanics of the game are reliable and consistent. The weapons all feel nice and powerful even, however the enemies do just seem to take more and more hits to kill as you move on, as opposed to using more clever attacks. There's a certain fear factor but it's over-ridden when you realise that playing on easy will make you virtually invincible, the other combat that I didn't really like was how mostly it ended up being bit of an ammo drain. The maps are very nice for combat but you can't run over them enough. If you've played Mirror's Edge, Brink or Half-life 2 then you will be disappointed by the lack of physics or the ability to run over cover easily. Jumping is practically useless in Rage but crouching is not. Rage rewards you well for clever combat and stealth attacks which in the end makes it feel a lot more fun. The combination of FPS, RPG and racer does not feel rushed. They flow together very nicely and although it's easy to see where each takes it's dominance (Racing is for improving you car: For travel. RPG is for improving your fighting chance: For survival. FPS is the actual meat of the game) this is actually a nice feature. It allows you to get all sorts of varied experiences. The term 'open world' does not (however) apply to Rage. It is in no way an 'open world' game. If you've played games like Oblivion/Fallout you will be fair disappointed by the limited area you can access. Most of each map is not accessible. I would compare Rage to Bioshock mixed with Half-life 2 as a best next of kin for game play. Mostly linear, with some RPG elements, some mutants, some badass weapons. Graphics is very good. There are some blurry textures but if you compare this to a game released last year then you will see it's a big jump up anyway. It's extremely well optimised; my PC wasn't meant to be able to run it but it still does at +60fps! The best part visually is that each area is extremely detailed and does vary quite a lot. Overall it's highly enjoyable but don't expect it to blow you away. The thing is... most games don't these days, my favourite game is still Portal 2 because it's Story was the best I've ever played... it's going to be hard to compete after that.
  97. Oct 23, 2011
    After a 18 hour, 100% competition playthrough, I finally beat this game. And it was truly amazing. This game does brink us back to the FUN shooter era, which was last seen in the good old Doom and Quake times. A variety of weapons, vehicles, sidequests, customization, gear and so on, keeps you going for a long time!
    But most importantly, the graphics and the game engine - IT IS
    But most importantly, the graphics and the game engine - IT IS PHENOMENAL! Stable 60 fps all the time on my 5870, while running a custom HD Ultra Settings mod, found on steam users forums. I bet from those 18 hours of my playthrough, 3 hours were spent walking and enjoying the game's environment and surroundings, they're breathtaking. A MUST BUY!
  98. Oct 23, 2011
    0's? Really? This game is worth much more than a 0. If you are complaining about low FPS or texture pop in's, just google the fixes. There are plenty of them that work. As well as 8/16k textures if your card/s can handle it. If you spent $3000 on a PC and this game doesn't run at 100+fps then you have to do more research before buying parts and learn how to maintain it. The game is great,0's? Really? This game is worth much more than a 0. If you are complaining about low FPS or texture pop in's, just google the fixes. There are plenty of them that work. As well as 8/16k textures if your card/s can handle it. If you spent $3000 on a PC and this game doesn't run at 100+fps then you have to do more research before buying parts and learn how to maintain it. The game is great, runs perfectly and plays perfectly. Stop hating on it. Expand
  99. Oct 23, 2011
    id software brings back the fun to shooters PERIOD.
    Try playing the game for more then 30m and you'll see what I mean. The only complaint I have is that the story is pretty basic and some of the missions seem rather short, because they are really cool to play.
  100. Oct 23, 2011
    Please don't listen to all the bad reviews about this game! It wasn't the best game I've ever played but is definitely worth a playthrough. The graphics, gameplay, story, voice acting and everything else are good. I ran it with my ancient 9800 GT graphics card and a core 2 duo and have none of the performance issues people mentioned. I would give this game a 7.5 but since the game got soPlease don't listen to all the bad reviews about this game! It wasn't the best game I've ever played but is definitely worth a playthrough. The graphics, gameplay, story, voice acting and everything else are good. I ran it with my ancient 9800 GT graphics card and a core 2 duo and have none of the performance issues people mentioned. I would give this game a 7.5 but since the game got so many negative reviews i'm giving it a 10. I suspect many of the negative reviews are from the same person with different accounts and idiots who have nothing better to do than complain about a decent game! Watch out for obsessive fans who are biased against a game before it has even been released. Expand
  101. Aug 7, 2012

Hope this helped some bored dude like me.

PS

1. Nov 23, 2011
    A pretty, fast and aggressive shooter, striving in vain to be something more. [December 2011, p.62]
    Far from perfect Rage somehow is has fun post-apocalyptic action where the principles are set –fortunately – bit different than in other games of FPS genre. [Nov 2011]
  3. Nov 9, 2011
    It seems id Software is still living in its golden days and failed to notice that times have changed since Doom and Quake. Rage is just a decent, linear, old school shooter combined awkwardly with an arcade racing game. The world is only 'kinda openish' and the story must have been written by the coders while they were compiling the alpha version. The game looks great though – if you're lucky enough to have the it run smoothly and without technical issues that haunt the PC version. [November 2011, p.46]