6.4

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Does what I want it to do, now the question is what I want it to do! After I go commando and shoot down a army, win a game of shogun 2, I want a peaceful relaxing vista. This fits the bill. Best relaxing game I have played, not for the shooter fan though...
  2. Oct 2, 2011
    You are going to need a powerful PC to run Train Simulator 2012 in all its polygon-rich glory. Attention to detail is impressive and the simulator is both immersive and entertaining for the most part. Discount advertising from Rail Simulator while watching the loading screen for more than a minute is a little frustrating, as are some of the load times. Some graphic and texture issues.You are going to need a powerful PC to run Train Simulator 2012 in all its polygon-rich glory. Attention to detail is impressive and the simulator is both immersive and entertaining for the most part. Discount advertising from Rail Simulator while watching the loading screen for more than a minute is a little frustrating, as are some of the load times. Some graphic and texture issues. Ensure you have plenty of RAM and a powerful GPU if you want all the eye candy TS 2012 offers. Expand
  3. Dec 1, 2011
    I am going to rate this game a 7, even though I haven't played it yet. I have played most of the other rail-simulation games... ex: Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, Chris Sawyer's RailRoads and Lionel/Hasbro. It does look like a load of fun and looks as it is geared towards trains lovers everywhere and anywhere
    and with all of the DLC i'm sure the passion will never end. I wouln't recommend buying it for your 6 year old or teenager unless they ask for it by name.
  4. Nov 29, 2011
    This game has an old engine and the graphics are a bit outdated, but they release lots of DLC, update often, and the train physics are quite good. Then again, DLC gets pricey but for train lovers who find exactly what they want (I live near the sierras as portrayed in donner pass dlc) it seems to be worth it. If they're still developing and releasing stuff I think it's safe to say thisThis game has an old engine and the graphics are a bit outdated, but they release lots of DLC, update often, and the train physics are quite good. Then again, DLC gets pricey but for train lovers who find exactly what they want (I live near the sierras as portrayed in donner pass dlc) it seems to be worth it. If they're still developing and releasing stuff I think it's safe to say this game has a fan base regardless of the sillies who don't even know what it's about.

Guy who gave (McF) this a zero expects his train simulator to include wings and a jet engine, oh and a plane simulator too? Trains have rails. Don't try simulators if you don't have any clue what they entail. Nevermind the DLC price, you bought this game for the wrong reasons. Or didn't at all. I'd give it a 10 to counteract but that's almost as dumb as giving a game a 0 because one goes into it blindly. It's not perfect, but it delivers exactly what train fans want, if not a little poorly textured.
  5. Aug 1, 2012
    To me, the most important feature of a simulator is that it simulates the controls and the physics as close as possible to the real thing. When driving a recent GE's locomotive, I expect to see working Integrated Function Displays. If the menus are not modeled, I expect at least the main screen to be completely working exactly as the real thing. It should show the brake pipe pressure, theTo me, the most important feature of a simulator is that it simulates the controls and the physics as close as possible to the real thing. When driving a recent GE's locomotive, I expect to see working Integrated Function Displays. If the menus are not modeled, I expect at least the main screen to be completely working exactly as the real thing. It should show the brake pipe pressure, the main reservoir pressure, the equalizing reservoir pressure, the brake cylinder pressure of the locomotive, the speed, the estimated speed in one minute, the reverser position, the power and brake lever positions, etc. The estimated speed in one minute is especially useful. Since you are in a simulator and can't feel G forces, it's hard to feel what is the current acceleration of the train. Right now, only the speed needle is modeled.

The controls that show up at the bottom of the screen could be improved. The power lever should show a notch number instead of a percentage. The brake lever should have tick marks to the side to show where are mininum reduction and full service. The automatic brake, the independent brake and the dynamic brake all use the same lever and you need to press one of three buttons beside the lever to choose which brake you want the lever to control. You can obviously see why this is a bad control scheme.

I don't like the horn. It's hard to do the short and long blow patterns properly. The horn keeps on going too long after you release the horn button.

As it is right now, it feels more like a toy than a simulator and the game loses its appeal to me.

Aside from those issues, the game is fine.

1. Jan 16, 2012
    A great way to try your hand at driving a train. Unfortunately, load times are long and DLCs all cost extra, but optional simplified controls and a great look with many details and weather effects make this a good game. If you like trains, but can't or won't go for a miniature train, this simulation is for you.
  2. Nov 26, 2011
    Too similar to RailWorks 2 to be a sequel, and with little fresh content, but the series is chugging along in the right direction.
  3. Nov 15, 2011
    Train Simulator 2012 is good at what it does but unfortunately that will appeal to a very narrow audience. Diehard train enthusiasts will love the incredible details and depth of gameplay but it will be lost on everyone else. Hardcore hobbyists need only apply.