7.3

1. Jun 7, 2013
    *UPDATE!

Four days ago I eagerly awaited the release game, and now that it is over I can say without any reserve that this is a game you DO NOT WANT TO MISS. I'll put the ending first for those who don't want to read my entire discourse. I rate "Remember me" as an 8/10, however I've decided to keep my official score as a 10 to help tip the scales. The simple fact is that as valuable as
    metacritic is, these scores can be the life or death of a game. The same way they can destroy or make a movie, or actor on stage. How many people will skip this game, simply because its not an 8 or higher? "Remember Me" is well crafted, it deserves to be played. DONTNOD Entertainment deserves whatever profits they can get, hopefully enough to encourage more games if not a sequel, which I personally would like to see.

So what games can I compare to "Remember me" to? In my opinion it plays like an assassin's creed warped in a deus ex with a twist (Memories rather than augmentations) The story? Fantastic! Not as good as AC2, or bioshock 1, but better than the ends of either Farcry 3, or deus ex. The combat system was one of genius; and quite frankly something I've been waiting a long time to see. It does have its downfalls eg. the boss battles are repetitive, but unlike AC once I learned this combat system there was never a moment where I had to get my bearings, where combat was too fast, or I was too surrounded. When you add that I was able to, with some restrictions, mold the combos it really puts the player in the action. I stopped worrying about which button at which time and simply enjoyed the game.

Graphics in "Remember me" are a delight to behold. When my computer reported that the game was running in 32bit, and directX 9 I didn't want to believe it. Of course thats the beauty of the unreal engine, from the moment I saw they used it I knew I'd like the game. I do wish they'd used directX 11, I do understand why they didn't but 11 has been out for a while now, and with top end graphic cards now costing half a grand for a single unit.

About the linear qualities of the game. I really do feel this was ultimately the downfall of "Remember Me", and it is why I rate it at 8/10. Below I did list some bugs I experienced, but these were all a minor inconvenience, and could be either limited to my computer or fixed with a patch. Many of the story elements of this game depended on it being linear, I understand that and enjoyed the story. However I believe that there was a lot of wasted potential, especially with the memory remixes in which I wish there was more of. Again I look forward to a sequel.

Errors in "remember me" include: 1) a few subtitle errors, 2) what appear to be some graphical glitches, like a bird stuck in place, and falling through the floor twice. One level appeared all red till I reloaded. 3) The camera is not completely free, it does fight you quite a bit in certain areas.

END OF UPDATE (Original post below)
    I would like to start by stating that I am not an avid video game reviewer, and in fact this is the first I've posting on this website. However, I do like many users look at metacritic scores to "tip the scales" when it comes to buy and judging games. I like many that have already posted, am trying to stop this game from dying before/at release, due to negative/low score. I have only just started this game, and will edit both my score and review later.

To start: The game runs smooth and so far flawless on my system with AMD FX6150, and ATI 6950HD. The music and sounds along with the animation in the menu immediately draw you in. It is clear in just starting it up, like hitman: absolution main menu, that some love went into crafting this game. Options for graphical changes were limited, but in no way hindered either my system, or (from what I can tell) the game in running smoothly.

Upon starting the intro the game loaded extremely fast especially for an HDD, the beginning immediately drew me into the story, my favorite part, and I once again I note care in the games design by a immersive sounds, lighting, sound effects, and small added details to the character's & NPCs clothing, and level design.

This is about as far as I can go so far, but If you read this, I urge you not to go by the current score. I will update this post as I continue to play the game. I am giving it a 10 atm to help balance until I can determine a fair score.
  2. Jun 6, 2013
    Great graphics, great music, interesting story, TERRIBLE GAMEPLAY.

Remember Me is another "interactive movie" where you're forced to watch cutscenes between every fight and, when you actually get to play the game, it's actually pretty crap. Fights are just monotonous button spamming, the platforming gets stale in the first chapter, and you're so often bombarded with cutscenes that even
    walking along a street becomes a tedious experience.

The one unique element of the game, remixing memories, is interesting, but only seems to happen once every hour of frustrating gameplay.
  3. Jun 6, 2013
    This is a great game. It's not going to win GOTY, but that's fine. If you're not turned off by the idea of a game on rails then Remember Me is a gorgeous, nuanced action/sci-fi video game that will be remembered fondly for its narrative and stunning visuals long after people have gotten over its minor gameplay shortcomings.
  4. Jun 3, 2013
    Funny how there already are User Scores for the PC version when it has not even been released yet. The earliest unlock will be 14 hours from now on, with most of the world having to wait around 3 more days.

The game is a Steamworks title, so nobody aside from professional reviewers could have played it yet, and there exists no pirated version at this point either.

Hence all the
    current votes are absolute bogus. Just food for thought.

As for the game itself, I'll be playing (and rating) it once it is actually out. For the time being I will rate it at the critic average, but will adjust it accordingly once I have made up my own mind.
  5. Jun 4, 2013
    Punch-sponge enemies, stretched fights, idiotic stuff (healing strikes wut?), climbing, badly placed checkpoints, QTE, unskipable cutscenes, uninspiring plot, total linearity.
  6. Jun 10, 2013
    the story and environment more than make up for weak combat and platforming mechanics. play it on hard, and enjoy the fluidity of the game, don't expect a huge challenge or massive gameplay innovations. but do expect to get immersed and engaged in the world they've built. a really nice experience.
  7. Jun 5, 2013
    Clever, thought provoking and full of heart, what Remember Me lacks in innovation, graphical fidelity, and openness it more than makes up for with a stunning setting, incredible visual and audiatory design, and mountains of character. For me, it's a lot like Metro: Last Light. It's not doing anything new, but what it tries to do it does well and that's more than enough to forgive its flaws.
  8. Jun 4, 2013
    I will admit I was excited for this game. I felt it would have been a create mix between Assassin's Creed (for the climbing and going after high valued targets seemed to be indicative of this), Batman Arkham Asylum/City (the fighting style seemed to resemble this), and Deus Ex: Human Revolution (for the futuristic aspect and the environment interaction with the HUD).Before I begin into the negatives of this game, let me point to some of the more positive of the game.

-The voice acting is wonderful. Whenever the first cut scene played, it truly bought into the story of the three people who told the viewer of how wonderful the memory technology was and the elderly woman's story and voice acting made me feel as if that was a real person.
    -The story created a desire for me to go forward and find out what was around the corner. Although the names Capcom gives some of their characters breaks the illusion of this game being a game about survival, sabotage, kickin' in faces, and being public enemy number one.
    -Being able to create your own combos was such an interesting ideal that it warrants being a positive; however, the execution was a bit underwhelming.
    -Remixing memories was such an enjoyable trail-and-error aspect.

Now that I have got that out of the way. Here are some of the things I felt (and you may feel) made the game lesser than what it could have been.

-It leads you by the hand... Forcibly. I played on the hardest difficulty (Memory Hunter) and was still bombarded with an icon that tells me where to go when I am climbing with no discernible way to turn this off. It is as if it did not even trust you find your way, to make your own mistakes when climbing to a location, or Capcom felt that did not do a good enough job on some of the camera angles that they felt that it would be necessary to put an icon at every ledge you should go to.
    -Do you like the thrill of exploring (even in linear games) and finding upgrades for yourself? It is as if the game thinks you have around two brains cells and gives you an image of where an upgrade (for health and focus) is NEARBY. I can understand that they wanted to stick with the whole memory idea and this was another way of introducing their idea, but if you are anything like me, I prefer to make my own mistakes and explore to find collectibles without assistance even if I look in some of the most inane spots to achieve this, you will not enjoy this feature.An apt comparison is Metro Last Light. It took me 12 hours to beat a 7 to 8 hour game because the game created a desire for me to go an explore. I saw buildings in the distance or rooms away from where my OPTIONAL objective locator told me was the right way to go and thought to myself "Is ammo in there? What about another weapon? Journal entry?"
    -I would have loved for an OPTIONAL breadcumb device like in Dead Space to show me where I should be going beyond climbing up. In Dead Space and Metro games bringing up that device caused me to want to explore. I would see "Hey, I need to go here. There is a strong chance that I might not be able to return to this area, so let me explore the other doors." However, in Remember Me, the game although forcibly shows you where to go when climbing, it does not allow to check where your current objective is. There has been multiple times where I have forgone exploring another doorway because I thought it may be where I should go. Turns out it was not and whenever I went through the other doorway, I could not return to the previous location.

The game was alright, but not worth the $50. I would really wait until the game is on sale.
  9. Jun 4, 2013
    It's really a shame when game with so much potential falls short. There are a lot of great elements within this game but all of them (except of graphics and music probably) made in a wrong fashion. They made an interesting world you want to explore, but they denied you that and put you in a narrow corridor. They tried to do some fighting in Batman style. While i like that idea but again they made it wrong. Fighting system in this game is the most stupid thing i ever saw. I like all that climbing in Tomb Rider or Uncharted, but they manage to do something stupid in my opinion even with that. Yeap, huge arrow that tells you where to go. No, i don't want that! I want to figure that myself. And memory remixes? It's a great idea, it's innovative (well, not like we never saw ideas like that before, but that's not a common thing for sure) and so on, but why they used it only a few times?
    This game looks magnificent on paper but in reality it's kind of mediocre. That's a shame. Also i have to point our that AAA games now gave a tendency to became shorter and shorter. As already been mentioned here you can beat this game in 5-6 hours.
  10. Jun 4, 2013
    $50 for a 6 hour game? The combat get quirky and the levels are highly linear. The story is very flat and has little to no acceleration. It's just not worth the money at all. Perhaps if this were an indie developer pricing their game fairly ($10-20), I could recommend the game. As it stands, Capcom is trying to steal your money and give very little in return.
  11. Jun 3, 2013
    Regardless of the previewers I think the game has a lot of potential of being a great game. Don't understand why people rate when it isnt even out yet.
  12. Jun 8, 2013
    Remember me is aesthetically impressive with some fresh ideas, many of which are underused. The plot whilst engaging is betrayed by the minor characters and the actors who voice them. Ultimately it falls flat as a repetitive combat system and mischievous camera break the immersion and irritate the player. I would however, love to see more of this world with less of the tedium.
  13. Jun 5, 2013
    Without a doubt, the most boring game i played in the last 2 years, i got it through steam with a gift card and oh boy was i disappointed..

Its like the game forces you to feel stupid! Its hand holding you the entire game, super easy and so boring i had to read Cracked on the side to i wont feel like i wasted 50$ (which i did)

Every (extremely linear) mission is the same. you run
    climb some bars you fight (very easy fights, i failed to die once on the hardest level) for 2 minutes, rinse and repeat untill boss and then the memory reconstruction (and thats pretty cool tbh, the only cool part in the entire game)

The story could have been great tbh but i got so angry from the gameplay that my mind didnt invest. Furthermore, i HATE monologuing!! This game does it, and allot..

Great game if your a novice player just starting hes first few games and your mind is "flexible".
    godawful boring game if your a seasoned player that is here for the gameplay and story.
  14. Jun 6, 2013
    As the credits roll on this 11 hour journey, I’m pleasantly surprised to see such a great title come out of a brand new studio. The team at DONTNOD Entertainment have brought something unique to the table, giving us not only beautiful graphics and incredible sound, but also a new combat approach wrapped around a very engaging storyline
  15. Jun 5, 2013
    To sad the truth, I am not fan of games that have similar fighting mechanic.
    Right now I am about at 30% of game progress and I am absolutely enjoying every minute in this game.
    Interesting story line, nice soundtrack, nice level design, nice graphic, fighting mechanic is not confusing, just need to use a little of your head. Also absolutely love "memory remix" scenes and how these
    working.
    Game disadvantages few times camera was crazy, also bad mouse acceleration, but it is not making problems. Also, I don't know is it minus or plus, but I expected open world, which isn't in this game, but feels open and huge.
  16. Jun 5, 2013
    I'm also putting in a 10 because you can really tell this game is gorgeous and the story/concept are very non-generic. I'm also thinking that because it's a little different than Mirror's Edge, people aren't liking the isometric changes.
  17. Jun 7, 2013
    This is really an obligatory "review" to tip scales, as some others are doing, to the positive side of things.

I generally don't hold general opinions with any merit at all in the first place, but this is one game I can't allow to stay so low when it's so well done. I suppose this is proof that user-generated ratings really are crap. I believe some people should rethink how saying 4 out
    of 5 portions of the game design are great, with one being personally distasteful, yet giving the game a 5> is justified or even remotely rational. I can understand some people's qualms about linearity, QTEs, and general interruptions to the game, but I also understand those aren't very objective or sensible complaints. QTEs? Dialogue? Linearity? Are these really bad in a game that's aimed to be story-centric and immersing? I don't believe so. I would be speaking out of my ass if I said the gameplay was intuitive as a whole, but see, that doesn't make it unoriginal. Does it come up with a grand new scheme ideas and elements we've never seen before? As a whole, no. It has some elements that are original, but others aren't. Does that make it unoriginal, mundane, and copy-paste, though? Absolutely not. Originality is not black and white, and you should feel bad if you believe it is.

Overall, though, this is a game that most people probably won't enjoy. Why? Because we're being spoiled with massively open worlds, rail-shooters, etc. A fraction of people will like this game, and an even smaller fraction will truly understand the passion behind it and how great it is.
  18. Jun 8, 2013
    Taking into consideration that this is a new title from a new game developer. I personally think that this game is surprisingly good and I really look forward to what DONTNOD entertainment do next. It has a unique style to the game and interesting mechanics, the only thing that is holding this game back is the combat. I love the fact that you can personalize the combos in the game, but after a while I feel that the combat becomes somewhat of a chore. And I would have liked to see more memory mixing moments in the game as that's what the game is about.

Overall a good game from a new development company, and I look forward to what they do next. Definitely check this game out.
  19. Jun 8, 2013
    Great plot and world. Too little time to show it. Perfect combat system, bad camera management and not polished tutirial. The game can make you worry for characters, but they are outnumbered by faceless enemies. So it's just 8.
  20. Jun 8, 2013
    Before I start, i'd like to state that the game is good, it's not a 10/10 at best i'd rate it 7.5/10 however due to checking reviews before buying the game, and then deciding to ignore the large proportion of which are negative against the game and go out and buy it anyway, i feel it has a lot of undeserved criticism, hence the review.

There are 3 basic game play styles of this game:
    Assassins creed style climbing system, Capcom's usual fighting system in a hack and slash sorta way, and finally a Lara croft puzzle exploration system. Broken down it doesn't sound inspiring and hell some are issue's with linearity with the game, don't go expecting another Dishonored with branching stories and several layers of exploration, its not what your going to get.

This however from my view was never meant to be the strength of the game, or what even intrigued me in the first place. When I first watched the trailer what amazed me was the concept, the story line is unique, its original and its fresh. This coupled with visual style of mirrors edge and background visuals that I would say rival Deux Ex: Human Revolutions...which if you haven't played that game, are stunning, well and truly.

The story-line will keep you interested throughout the game which in my opinion was of an acceptable length, there are 3-4 collectibles 3 of which are upgrades e.g health and 1 take a codex role of providing additional information. If you look for these then the game time will definitely be much longer as there around 50 of each to find.

The user interface is simple and easy to understand, i was using an xbox 360 controller to play the game and found that the controls where relatively easy to cope with, however spikes in difficulty were present in boss fights. They are a b***h when compared to the average enemies.

The greatest asset to the game however, is most certainly the memory remix, its worth playing the game purely for this one feature and it's something i haven't seen pulled off in any other game, if built upon in sequels this mechanic could be one of the greatest pieces of game play on the market.

Overall this game will entertain you for sure, its no game of the year, however, i feel if they have an option of a sequel, then they could build certainly on the existing material and that may be a GOTY contender, but it would require a vast improvement in basic game-play i.e exploration. I'd recommend this once the price drops to mid £20's but its well worth picking up and playing :)

+ Visuals/Graphics
    +Concept
    +Combat
    +Story line
    +Originality
    +Refreshing original player character (doesn't fall into stereotypes)

-Limited exploration
    -Linear
    -Lack of branching story line
    -Capcom's inevitable marketing practices e.g DLC
    -Very slow start (Have to get to at least episode 3)
  21. Jun 4, 2013
    I don't know, why rating this game negative. It's well programmed, nice graphics, a good story i'll follow and at summary, it's a pretty nice game. 1st started the game and thought: Mirrors Edge? Damn, there are some similarities! Sure, no real prarkour, but nice. I really don't miss the weapons the game is based on combos. Well executed, it will make enough damage & to be honest: Weapons you'll find in each 0815 game. Just give it a try it's no mainstream game. Expand
  22. Jun 8, 2013
    Overall, a decent game that dabbles into an exciting world but ultimately doesn't reach the level you hope for. Wait for it to go on sale. Pros: - Excellent setting giving an authentic feel - Perfect music complimenting the game - 'Memory remixes' are the most fun aspect of the game Cons: - Limited interaction between yourself and the world - 'Newbie' tips preventing exploration
    - Repetitive combat
    - Very few 'memory remixes'
  23. Jun 5, 2013
    The game isn't that bad, the game is worth an an 7 or 8 /10, but i gave it a 10 to help counter the outrageous bad user ratings given before the game was even released, do people even know what a game rated 4 should play like?
  24. Jun 4, 2013
    Remember Me is an awesome game. It’s sometimes frustrating with it's difficulty, but it also transports you to an amazing world with striking designs, a deep culture, and interesting characters. The game might rely a little too heavily on “been there, done that” elements of play, but when it breaks from the norm and it does so often it hands players power and a sense of freedom in experimentation. Expand
  25. Jun 5, 2013
    this game is awesome, the graphics, the music, the story, all of them are very engaging. Play yourself this game before listen to angry nerds whit hedonist view of games, you will not regret.
  26. Jun 8, 2013
    If you are a PC gamer you will be terribly dissapointed. One of the worst ports ever. Camera glitches, horrendus input lag, worst quality pre-rendered cutscenes I ever seen in like 10 years. Youtube in 360p looks better. Gameplay is boring like hell. Uber linear and corridor like game (forget about exploration). Not worth it's price at all.
  27. Jun 10, 2013
    If I had to bring up why this game is disappointing it is that I want to play in Neo Paris it is an amassing world artistically stunning and dripping with unique style as well as a decent story and absolutely fantastic music.

The problem is the combat is dull and repetitive, the world is a corridor, the platforming is both annoying and blatantly obvious as to what you must do. None of
    the "game parts of this game work well but the IP is still good. It is a game I did not like yet want a sequel of as a different genre or with a completely overhauled combat system and no platforming.

Make it a Witcher style RPG as that game never shined in combat though it fairs better than Remember me. Perhaps make the Presen Combo lab to where it has a real tangible effect and more than 4 combos. Simply open the stunning world that is keeping my from giving this a negative review score as the part oft his game where there is no combat are the only memorable parts as the world just looks so fantastic. Any of these you make this a massive IP but for now it is something to put in your steam Watch list and pick it up on sale.
  28. Jun 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm quite surprised to see such low user review like that when there's actually only 5 users rated this game and most of them were positive reviews.
    Since I haven't played the game yet. I will rate it according to a video I watched yesterday. Link:- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IsdYg40qLY
  29. Jun 5, 2013
    "Remember Me" is a sci-fi story set in a believable world with an equally believable plot that offers quite a lot of fun, but stiff climbing controls, wonky camera positions and awkward combat make this game fall short to its expectations.
  30. Jun 4, 2013
    Polaris1020 8 Remember Me is destined to be overlooked, which is sad. One thing is for sure: It is a true underrated gem.

I'm about mid-way in the game, and it is a fantastic and hypnotic game, captivating me with it's beautiful and heavily detailed world. The setting is the first thing you'll notice; vivid, unconventional colors blot this world, and it is a feast for the eyes.

Combat works and plays out like Batman, but not quite as fluid. The ability to change up your combos makes for a refreshing experience each time. Enemies are can be quite tough in numbers--especially when they differ in types, forcing you to use different tactics for various enemies. Button mashing won't get you very far.

The platforming and exploration are the weakest links, as they are far too scripted. You never get a sense that you're in immediate danger from scaling walls. And exploration is so linear, so confined, which is a shame considering Neo-Paris is a major sight to behold.

Memory Remixes are the star of Remember Me, setting it apart from other action/adventure games. Basically, you can hack into peoples memories and alter things, changing the outcome of their behavior. It's fun to mess around and experiment. Not to mention, the memory remixes give great insight into Nilin's character; you really get a sense that she is conflicted with the ethics of what she is doing, which, in my opinion, makes her a very human character to which we can relate.

The story... I won't elaborate about it. You really need to experience it for yourself because it will blow you away. Some of the writing is awful, though. But most of it works.

Overall, fantastic game. The story and lore are the strongest aspects. The game play is, for the most part, solid. Remember Me gets an 8/10 for me.

1. Sep 10, 2013
    Remember Me is a competent action game that never really excels. The story is wasted and the platforming is poorly implemented with the rest of the game. Still the combat system is interesting and the framing around memories is at least somewhat original.
    A game with great potential, great setting and great music. However, it's knocked down by its incomplete implementation of the original ideas and its frustrating battle system. [Issue#231]
  3. Jul 8, 2013
    There are a lot of ideas packed into this game but I feel like if they would have cut back on a couple of the concepts to focus more on the story then this could have been a real stand out game. As it is now Remember Me is more appealing when it gets cheaper or if you have absolutely nothing to play.