Resonance PC

7.9

1. May 20, 2017
    Cool Adventure Clickie.
    Programmers and devs - please include VSync, because the game exe runs via DXWnd, my card cannot take control of settings.
    Otherwise - nice voice overs, nice twist in plot, good gameplay.
    Recommend.
  2. Jul 3, 2012
    Definitely an effort that deserves praise, given the limited budget and the cheap pricetag, but definitely still just a shadow of the magnificence of the point and click of the golden age. The plot starts off really slowly and fails to be engaging, taking ideas from the settings that remind me of the worst B-movies, yet it flies off around 2/3 of the game and manages to link all theDefinitely an effort that deserves praise, given the limited budget and the cheap pricetag, but definitely still just a shadow of the magnificence of the point and click of the golden age. The plot starts off really slowly and fails to be engaging, taking ideas from the settings that remind me of the worst B-movies, yet it flies off around 2/3 of the game and manages to link all the elements of the first half in a pretty satisfying way; I wouldn't say everything makes perfect sense and the reasoning of the characters may set you off for their illogical reactions, but all you need to know is explained. The ending doesn't really live up to the pathos that was built up a bit before, but it's still satisfying and provides closure. About the puzzles, I actually found it to be extremely logic, but too much straightforward; if you follow the plot with attention it's pretty unlikely you'd be stuck up, mostly because they require you to put together simple clues that were given a bit before; I sadly found the characters' conversation to be not subtle at all and basically spoiling most of the actual solutions. The voice acting was bittersweet; a couple of characters were extremely impressive, while the other were utterly terrible; I really hope Wadjeteye will get enough budget to get a more professional cast in the future releases.
    The middle part opened up, which was a nice surprise in this kind of game, yet I was surprised by the overall length, which does feel short for a game that was in development for five years. Yet I'm nitpicking; the game is worth the price and is a great gem in the indie substrate; you'll find a great price/value ratio in this game; despite some little flaw, some small original idea and the care that was given to this project will probably make you happy.
  3. Dec 1, 2012
    The game gives you four protagonist to play. They start out being introduced one-by-one but later on you get to play them simultaneously. The story is the big strength, spiced with some interesting character interplay/dialogue and twists. The puzzles start out simple but get more complex as the plot evolves. Resonance introduces a memory system which enhances what you can talk about inThe game gives you four protagonist to play. They start out being introduced one-by-one but later on you get to play them simultaneously. The story is the big strength, spiced with some interesting character interplay/dialogue and twists. The puzzles start out simple but get more complex as the plot evolves. Resonance introduces a memory system which enhances what you can talk about in dialogues, similar to what you have as an inventory - an inventory of the mind, if you will. Although the puzzles are overall very well done, there were a few frustrating ones relying on exactly the memory aspect that in my opinion spoiled this element which is so vital to the game. The story is pretty good with clever surprises and sometimes the development is influenced by your choices. In principal, I was satisfied with the ending although the cut-scenes to all different endings seem somewhat over-the-top and a little non-credible. Resonance is worth the money if you like adventures heavy with puzzles. Expand
  4. May 6, 2013
    Other than the graphics, this is one of the best adventure games I have ever played. The story is fast paced and engaging. The puzzles were challenging and logical. The music and voice acting were good. There were some new and interesting game mechanics. The first is the short-term and long-term memory system. Second is switching between the four main characters in order to solve puzzles.Other than the graphics, this is one of the best adventure games I have ever played. The story is fast paced and engaging. The puzzles were challenging and logical. The music and voice acting were good. There were some new and interesting game mechanics. The first is the short-term and long-term memory system. Second is switching between the four main characters in order to solve puzzles. The character animations are good, each character has their own set of expressions. Some animations like walking around are jumpy like old 16 bit games. The biggest negative to this game is the graphics resolution, about the same as an old fashioned Sierra title from the early 90's. Since some of the puzzles and game mechanics rely on visual cues, this detracts from the overall playing experience. What is most impressive about this game is that it provides a good experience in spite of this primitive graphics resolution. Expand
  5. Jul 16, 2017
    I love point-and-click adventures. Usually the only chore with this genre is that sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to the puzzles, and one ends up clicking and combining everything possible in order to proceed.

This game has a similar problem with a twist. Most of the time it is clear WHAT should be done, and the actions make sense as such, but the user interface is so horrid it regularly is nigh impossible to figure out HOW to do it. In general, the game's UI makes doing anything at all as hard as possible, and not in an entertaining manner.

Just an example: there is a thing you need to read to gain crucial information, and it is made clear you can't take the thing with you. In most games, simply reading the thing would unlock dialogue options related to it. Not here; you have to figure out that you CAN drag-and-drop the thing into a special inventory ("short term memory"), where it becomes a conversation item, that can then be used in dialogues elsewhere. Anything can be dragged into this inventory, but only a few items can be stored there at one time; as it is often not clear which STM items are important and where they should be used, this quickly becomes very annoying. (To muddy the waters even further, there's also a third separate inventory, for "long term memories". They also need to be used like items.)

There are not enough saving graces either. Having several playable characters is an intriguing idea and one plot twist and a couple of puzzles utilize it nicely, but it also multiplies the irksomeness of the overly convoluted inventory system. (And that's a major issue, because most of the gameplay in this genre consists of inventory management.) The story is OK, but not very original. Graphics are very retro and get the job done, but are nothing to write home about. The characters are clich├ęd and lack depth. Dialogues are vapid. Atypically for a Wadjet Eye Games product, even voice acting and music are stale. And the vexing trial-and-error games in the end ensure the whole thing ends on a sour note.

I crawled my way through, but playing this game felt like working a never-ending shift in an office where someone regularly hides your mouse and keyboard.
  6. Jun 18, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game, just the freedom of point 'n click adventure games would be a plus. The way the game let me talk to other characters about someone behind their back, but refuse to do so when they're in the room was an amusing find, I think the developers really put thought into the dialogue and reactions the characters would have to different situations, characters and itemsI really enjoyed this game, just the freedom of point 'n click adventure games would be a plus. The way the game let me talk to other characters about someone behind their back, but refuse to do so when they're in the room was an amusing find, I think the developers really put thought into the dialogue and reactions the characters would have to different situations, characters and items (except the detective). The story was gripping and kept me guessing. I finished this game in one sitting and I enjoyed it immensely. That said, I wish they made better use of the memory mechanic, it's a neat idea, but it was rarely used in actual puzzle solving. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    It's Wadget Eye Games' most ambitious game, but is it their best? In the technical department, as an adventure game, it is. Excellent speech, intelligent use of short/long-time memories, interesting riddles and simultaneous use of four heroes. But, alas, Resonance's scenario can't surpass that of Gemini Rue. [July 2012]
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    While at times frustrating (like all good adventure games), Resonance is an interesting combination of gritty, creepy, and above all else, humorous. Working with memories, and different characters' perceptions of events makes for a satisfying approach to the story.
  3. Aug 13, 2012
    On the whole, Resonance is serviceable entry in a genre where very few games are being made. The plot's not stellar, but it's still pretty good. The animation was fluid, and some of the scenes are quite gorgeous. The music also does a good job of setting the mood for the various locales and situations. Despite how harsh I might be, it's solid enough for being a ten dollar indie title and I do recommend checking it out for adventure fans.