Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War PC

• Release Date: Jun 12, 2006
8.7

1. JedK.
    Apr 23, 2007
    I believe this to be one of the best of it's genre and all those who dare to dis this game are complete and total non-gamers.
  2. JediM.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This is a really awesome game. It is well worth the $20 and the extra $300 I spent upgrading my computer to run it the best.
  3. SquiffyF.
    Jun 18, 2006
    Superb! Something a bit different, and thoughly enjoyable Great fun!
  4. FilipO.
    Nov 22, 2007
    Innovation at it's best. Really a hidden diamond in the mountain of games. Really worth playing - well spent money.
  5. Sep 15, 2013
    Its actually solid, patch the game up to 1.15 beta and it proves that midway or perhaps ex-steel studios employees clearly wanted to attempt to fix the initial release issues. In fact, with just how simple the economy system is, you get a lot of time to experiment with unit mixes, formations and literally leading massive armies against eachother. Its even thrilling at times, aside fromIts actually solid, patch the game up to 1.15 beta and it proves that midway or perhaps ex-steel studios employees clearly wanted to attempt to fix the initial release issues. In fact, with just how simple the economy system is, you get a lot of time to experiment with unit mixes, formations and literally leading massive armies against eachother. Its even thrilling at times, aside from the occasional glitches, the sound design is great. Hearing my Cavalry dash towards the unsuspecting group of Swordsmen is actually exciting, and the actual combat works as intended as well. Units do counter units, you can't just build archers and beat the A.I.- they'll get pummeled by everything else on the battlefield. The last minute, HEROES are not as obnoxious as some reviewers tend to make them out to be and really they get killed off quite easily so their not a constant. Its all about balancing your army and their have been moments where I've been locked in enormous stalemates with other players holding their own. Like a giant clash of hundreds of units all slowly killing eachother. At times its brilliantly designed and other times things just don't work. Its a pity steel studios is gone now, as this was their swansong and a nice mix between several of their old titles. Its really a very simple game with a solid combat system with a few niggling mechanics that just never worked. Still- it plays very well, the engine is pretty solid, the physics are great, and the whole thing makes you feel like you're really in a massive battle at all times. Expand
  6. PaulC.
    Jul 7, 2006
    Played ok for an hour until I realised that Starforce drivers had somehow stopped the file sharing from my second hard disk (perfectly legal I might add) and fubar'd by DVD writer (Half the writing modes missing as options in Nero) Luckily you have the option of uninstalling the drivers from the Start Menu - (which is something I suppose) - though obviously you can't then play Played ok for an hour until I realised that Starforce drivers had somehow stopped the file sharing from my second hard disk (perfectly legal I might add) and fubar'd by DVD writer (Half the writing modes missing as options in Nero) Luckily you have the option of uninstalling the drivers from the Start Menu - (which is something I suppose) - though obviously you can't then play the game So despite it being a reasonable game, changing my entire PC just to play it isn't an option. Game gave me £12 for it 2'nd hand..It's in the rack now - Broad Street Worcester - they're charging £20 for it. If you are more forgiving and don't mind a third party piece of invasionware controlling your PC , pop along and buy it. Collapse
  7. MIckJ.
    Sep 28, 2006
    Real bog standard affair. Looks ok and just when you're beginning to think "this is a great game!" you realize you're half way through the campaigns without even trying. I seemed to defeat the AI by accident on most maps. Rome: Total War is much better.
  8. JackP.
    Jul 22, 2006
    lot of potential get released in such an unfinished state.
  9. JonasHøiberg
    Mar 16, 2008
    Whilst being no fan of either pre-medieval FPS's or RTS's, this game seems to somehow entertain me. The concept of building a base in god-mode and afterwards be allowed to experience the world, and act as a direct leader of your troops, makes this game great, and furthermore strikes down on something I, for one, have wanted to see since Red Alert 1.
  10. Feb 12, 2014
    Отличная RTS. Была закидана гавном из-за своей простоты. В мультиплеере просто восхитительна. Волшебный редактор карт. Одна из самых недооценённых игр.

1. In the end, Rise & Fall attempts a few innovative things with the real-time strategy genre, though it's hurt by the fact that it wants to be both a hardcore real-time strategy game and a fast-paced action game. Unfortunately, it's hard to have it both ways in this genre, as the action mode is bound to frustrate and disappoint strategy fans.
    Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War is a passable hybrid of a console action game with a PC real-time strategy game. And while it's not terribly good at either genre, it's interesting enough as a combination.
    Click-click, kill-kill, click-click, kill-kill. You'll maybe get a naval battle or an occasional siege on the side. But once you've done this a few times, Rise & Fall has pretty much exhausted its novelty, leaving you with a bland and clunky RTS.