• Publisher: Kalypso
  • Release Date: Sep 27, 2013
6.8

1. Nov 20, 2013
    While I do have rose tinted specs regarding Patrician 2 and 3 this is probably better than both of those.
    It's as good as if not better than Port Royale and better IMO than PR2 and 3.
    It's as good as if not better than Port Royale and better IMO than PR2 and 3.
    The plot/politics side is greatly enhanced from the previous games and trading has been smoothed (but not nerfed) The need to keep a pen and paper handy just to see if a route is profitable or not is no longer required.
    That was always annoying. There you are, in front of a £1500 PC, using a calculator to work out whether buying bricks from Barbados and selling them at St Kitts was worth it or not. It didn't really add to the game.

Well that's all fixed now. The GFX are good, the combat is optional (good as I have no interest in it) the gmae is a solid deep trading and strategy game.

Some of the reviews pro and player seem a little annoyed that it isn't a pirates and swashbuckling game and review it as if it SHOULD have been.

Guess they don't understand the real pleasure of a deep logistics and trading strategy game and maybe next time the pro game review sites are handed a game like this to review and the editor is working out who to give it to then some of those who have reviewed this should just own up and say "You know what I just don't 'get' this sort of game maybe give the review to someone who does"

Would they give the next CoD or Battlefield game to someone like me to review someone who can't stand FPS's? I don't think so.
  2. Nov 10, 2013
    The game is exactly that what it claims to be: an economic simulation with tradings and industries.
    A shame that this title as well as GMS' prequel "Port Royale 3" got bashed by ignorant reviewers, who misunderstood (or were too lazy to read on it first) and assumed that it's going to be a pirate action. The strategical depth is very thorough, the graphics are WAY better than its sequels and the gameplay is smooth.
    The story might not be the best but this game isn't about the story. The story is simply a tutorial.

Overall, a successful simulation for the deep strategists out there.
  3. Oct 8, 2013
    Rise of Venice has come a long way since the Strategy/Simulation games have been released, Rise of Venice starts in the Renaissance era where you start by building a reputation by buying and selling basic items and eventually progress to recruiting soldiers along with advancing through different empires to take over. Paying attention to detail is important because at certain times of theRise of Venice has come a long way since the Strategy/Simulation games have been released, Rise of Venice starts in the Renaissance era where you start by building a reputation by buying and selling basic items and eventually progress to recruiting soldiers along with advancing through different empires to take over. Paying attention to detail is important because at certain times of the day, you will notice when to buy and sell goods to earn profit.

While Rise of Venice is a simulation game, there is plenty of missions and trading to be done in areas such as Rome, Athens, Alexandria for example. Your objective is to build a reputation is any of the different places. When you progress through the game and raise your rank, more items and convoys are available to trade such as boats and goods from different places.

What else does Rise of Venice have to offer?

An interaction with other friends or players in Multiplayer with up to 4 people.

Pros and Cons

Some of the things throughout the game I liked include the great atmosphere, what I mean by that is, it's not always dark and rainy... which usually sets a mood in the game. If you like Strategy and Simulation games, Rise of Venice is very addicting because of the mission variety and the ability to rank up and the endless amounts of playtime you can have with friends.

The things I noticed about Rise of Venice that could be easily fixed include, more instructions to the new gamer who is picking up a simulation game for the first time. The learning curve is quite steep for this. Although you can change the speed of the game to progress faster, the time it takes to rank up can be confusing because it takes a long time. Finally the most important issue was some of the missions are extremely difficult and can cause a huge loss in resources because it is not clear on what the objective is.

Overall, I really enjoy this game and with a little time and effort, I think Kalypso Media did an excellent job with this game and will provide many hours of entertainment.
    - My personal score for this game would be a 9/10

Publisher & Developer Kalypso Media
    Genre: Strategy/Simulation
    Platform: PC (Steam)
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    You either love it, or you hate it. There is nothing in-between. If you are already played and enjoyed Patrician or Port Royale, you buy this one blindly.
  5. Oct 1, 2013
    As tropic 4 This game is pretty good, I'd love to play this game many times, but of course some will not like it, but I think it is very good.My score 9/10
  6. Sep 30, 2013
    Been playing this game almost nonstop since launch and I have to say, it is an excellent trading sim that will suck away hours of your life.

First off I have to say this...the game is not broken. The low review score by IncGamers is based on reviewing the pre-release version of the game, not the "actual" game released to the general public on the 27th. I have not run into a single bug that was mentioned, and have to believe the reviewer is plainly not a fan of this type of game....

....since...

This game knows exactly who it is meant for... those who enjoy building trade empires, manipulating economies, "indirectly" influencing city development, managing trade routes, and building supply chains for production, during a period (in this case, Renaissance in the Mediterranean), with a little bit of political intrigue.

Though this game does offer a little action with sea battles, this is definitely secondary (...though if you want, you can play the game this way without trading at all, pirating other trade conveys and capturing their ships and goods which you can then either sell or add to your fleets...). This game is about trading...plan and simple...and if you enjoy this and other trade/management/supply chain sims, then you will definitely enjoy this game.
  7. Sep 27, 2013
    This game does what it is meant to do, simulate trade during a period, perfectly. If you are expecting something else, than you will be disappointed, but if you are looking for a deep simulation and are a history nerd in general, there is really no alternative.
  8. Sep 27, 2013
    This game is a real gem. I have played Port Royale 3 and Patrician IV but this one is better in many ways. Sure, the core gameplay is still the same but there are many new additions and gameplay tweaks. RoV seems to be more balanced and with less bugs than the other games from Gaming Minds. Its still a pretty hard game to get into and needs alot of time to figure out how things work butThis game is a real gem. I have played Port Royale 3 and Patrician IV but this one is better in many ways. Sure, the core gameplay is still the same but there are many new additions and gameplay tweaks. RoV seems to be more balanced and with less bugs than the other games from Gaming Minds. Its still a pretty hard game to get into and needs alot of time to figure out how things work but once you get the hang of it it is fantastic. I recommend this to all players who are willing to invest some time into it. Expand
  9. Sep 27, 2013
    I am a fan of strategy games and have also played the prequel Patrician IV. Whilst I was a little overwhelmed by the massive feature set and a very marginal tutorial in Patrician, Rise of Venice does everything right for a fan of complex strategy simulations like myself. Loads of features, a really smart AI and a great tutorial with a lot of helps. Also the new engine looks great and theI am a fan of strategy games and have also played the prequel Patrician IV. Whilst I was a little overwhelmed by the massive feature set and a very marginal tutorial in Patrician, Rise of Venice does everything right for a fan of complex strategy simulations like myself. Loads of features, a really smart AI and a great tutorial with a lot of helps. Also the new engine looks great and the mood of the Renaissance times in Venice is transported very well and atmospheric. Expand

1. Feb 3, 2014
    A competent, niche title that never fully realises its potential. Fills a gap in the modern game library but little more than that. [Feb 2014, p.88]
  2. Nov 5, 2013
    Free-flowing strategy with a wealth of features. An element of grind, but plenty of satisfying moments too .
  3. Oct 30, 2013
    Rise of Venice finds an interesting angle on the trading history. However, it's a shame that virtual Venice is filled with rats and troublesome pigeons. It's a fail they were not swept out entirely. Anyway, we've just been playing a beautiful strategy game with one very ugly bug.