8.1

1. Sep 8, 2014
    This game is the RPG version of a "B" movie. Sincere, ambitious, but ultimately flat and often absurd. I felt sick after 30 minutes of constant flashing of endless thunderstorms. How hard could it have been for them to simply tone down the lightning? I slept and it was still happening the next morning.

My character jumps inhumanly high but in slow motion. The creatures in the forest apparently do not fight or fear each other because at one stage there were like 10 of four different species all attacking me at once, seemingly oblivious to each other.

If you want to experience a game these guys pulled off right, try Gothic II Gold. It is flawed but forgivable, whereas this one got uninstalled after 30 minutes.
  2. Dec 6, 2012
    The game world is richly detailed, expansive, and full of life. The graphics are pretty good (for the year it was made anyway), music and sound are well-done, and the voice acting is good too. It's a shame then that the combat is so insanely, brutally punishing as to prevent you from enjoying it. The combat may get better as the game goes on, but the 5 or so hours of this game that I couldThe game world is richly detailed, expansive, and full of life. The graphics are pretty good (for the year it was made anyway), music and sound are well-done, and the voice acting is good too. It's a shame then that the combat is so insanely, brutally punishing as to prevent you from enjoying it. The combat may get better as the game goes on, but the 5 or so hours of this game that I could stomach saw the combat devolving into nothing more than holding down block until the enemy attacks twice, then attacking 2-3 times rapidly before blocking again. It was idiotic. Couple that with how it is entirely impossible to kite one enemy away from a large group, causing you to get swarmed by 5 enemies at once, and you had better get familiar with the load game screen. This is not fun. Everything seemed so interesting that it was really a shame it was kept out of reach. It's like when you were a child, and older kids would hold things in the air out of your reach and taunt you. Eventually you learn to punch them in the stomach, and go do something else. Expand
  3. Jul 26, 2013
    Playing Risen, a game I’d bought during the Steam Summer Sale along with it’s sequel, and am sorely disappointed already. Little to no tutorial in the beginning, no explanation of game mechanics, and most importantly when you die you just… lay there? It doesn't drop you back to your last save, it gives you no on-screen prompts, it simply leaves you there wondering what to do next (this isPlaying Risen, a game I’d bought during the Steam Summer Sale along with it’s sequel, and am sorely disappointed already. Little to no tutorial in the beginning, no explanation of game mechanics, and most importantly when you die you just… lay there? It doesn't drop you back to your last save, it gives you no on-screen prompts, it simply leaves you there wondering what to do next (this is the FIRST time I have ever played a game that, upon death, you are not prompted with at least a direction to reload a past save, I actually had to tab out and search to make sure this wasn't a glitch).

If this is all supposed to be to amplify the sense of immersion into the game world, it’s not doing a very good job at all. If I were dead, I highly doubt I’d just stay there hovering over my corpse panning around uselessly, so the more likely answer is that designers were more concerned with making bank than ensuring their finished product had the information necessary to play. Barely five minutes into the game and I’m tempted to simply shrug it off and uninstall; why would I put my time and effort into something that clearly had no effort put into it where I am concerned? For the sake of not judging too quickly (though already, the first impression I’ve had is that this game was a waste of my money), I will continue to try to play… but I don’t see myself writing a comprehensive review on this particular title.

Edit:

Ten minutes later, and I’ve quit and uninstalled. I have never been more dissatisfied with a game, or more specifically with it’s complete lack of consideration for introduction to gameplay. Players are expected to somehow know beforehand (or stop playing the game to go through the menu and search) key bindings and core mechanics beyond WASD. On-screen ‘tutorials’ consist of a single, font-only floating text direction on what to do once something has already happened. There are no prompts to explain how to equip or ready your weapon unless you happen upon one specific area that triggers a particular ‘cut-scene’ of dialogue from your companion (and even then, the mapped key was non-functional and I had to remap it to another key for it to function properly). This game is not just raw, it is unprofessional in that those who chose it’s introductory mechanics must have believed what they were thinking was going to by magic or osmosis be what every single other person that chose to play their game would be thinking. Fighting mechanics, if you can call them that, are chunky and awkward, in where a player may be facing their enemy and swing their weapon, but the character will turn and swing in a different direction. On six separate occasions, versus three different mob types, this problem persisted until I finally decided it was practically insulting to myself and my computer to have this game taking up space on my hard-drive. I would give this game a 2/10, the 2 being only for the graphics, as this was the only portion of the game that seemed to get any attention. Would not recommend.
  4. Jun 3, 2012
    Probably the most linear RPG I've ever played. Crappy voice acting and the backing noise track doesn't fit the game at all. Combat is boring (and once again) linear. I already said this, but I'll say it again: crappy voice acting. At first I was actually laughing at how bad it was until I just stopped playing. Combat is just click-click-other click (hit-hit-parry) style. Third person withProbably the most linear RPG I've ever played. Crappy voice acting and the backing noise track doesn't fit the game at all. Combat is boring (and once again) linear. I already said this, but I'll say it again: crappy voice acting. At first I was actually laughing at how bad it was until I just stopped playing. Combat is just click-click-other click (hit-hit-parry) style. Third person with no option to go into first is obnoxious. Controls are absolutely horrid, and made me change the layout immediately. Good modeling and design is probably this game's only redeeming factor. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2013
    Perhaps I'm not giving this game a fair judgement,perhaps it was due to certain circumstances that I was unable to fully enjoy the game.There must be some reason why this game received so much acclaim,from players and critics alike.Well,the idea and setting are nice,the story sounded promicing...and that's pretty much it.This game has numerous problems.Let's start with the technicalPerhaps I'm not giving this game a fair judgement,perhaps it was due to certain circumstances that I was unable to fully enjoy the game.There must be some reason why this game received so much acclaim,from players and critics alike.Well,the idea and setting are nice,the story sounded promicing...and that's pretty much it.This game has numerous problems.Let's start with the technical ones.My pc exceeds the recomended system parameters,but the FPS I'm getting is complete sh*t (15-20).Changing the graphic settings doesn't really do much either.Turning shadows off is the only thing that makes a little better.Now,maybe it's not fair to blame the game for this,maybe it's just not compatible with my graphics card in particular.So ok,i can bear with low fps,but it wouldn't piss me off so much if this game's graphics weren't this crappy.I personally don't judge a game for it's graphics,but "Risen" just looks ugly. No AA,low res textures everywhere.And it's not just the textures,character models are unappealing and have very little variety.Combat system sucks,there's not a lot of startegy into it.Enemies are way to OP.Normally a little more challange is OK,but with this piece of sh*t combat system it's just plain frustrating.The story sounded promising,but I couldn't bare with this game long enough to get into it,because of the dialog.My god,the dialog is so boring.The voice actors sound like they're going to fall asleep.The quest log is the most useless pice of sh*t I have ever seen. Classic WoW had a more useful quest helper than this,at least there you could find the approximate position of the quest target by reading the actual log.Here it just shows a simple objective and highlights the f*cking quest giver.Not the objective,the quest giver.I get where they were going with this,trying to make a more hardcore RPG,but it just doesn't work.It's tedious and unsatisfying.Maybe this isn't such a fair judgement,because I only endured 2 hours of this game.Perhaps it picks up afterwards,but I can't see how with the horrible combat system and visuals. Expand
  6. Sep 4, 2013
    Poor visual, no problem. Poor story, no problem. Poor combat, problem. Without combat progressing is not possible. I believe they tried to provide a realistic combat mechanics. Unfortunately they messed up. A counter system could probably solve this but there is none. Movement in battle looks joke and poor visuals make them even worse. They tried to reinvent the wheel and that's where theyPoor visual, no problem. Poor story, no problem. Poor combat, problem. Without combat progressing is not possible. I believe they tried to provide a realistic combat mechanics. Unfortunately they messed up. A counter system could probably solve this but there is none. Movement in battle looks joke and poor visuals make them even worse. They tried to reinvent the wheel and that's where they messed up. As a 2009 game, it is surprisingly poor. Expand
  7. Apr 8, 2011
    Frankly I do not understand what the fuss is about this game: everything from go is positively frustrating: from the ridiculous jarring and frame stutter you get (specificallyon ATI HD+ cards) to the hideous character visuals (the environments are gorgeous though) and the lack of an apparent mini-map. That and the fact that it is ridiculously hard to the point of frustration = a game to beFrankly I do not understand what the fuss is about this game: everything from go is positively frustrating: from the ridiculous jarring and frame stutter you get (specificallyon ATI HD+ cards) to the hideous character visuals (the environments are gorgeous though) and the lack of an apparent mini-map. That and the fact that it is ridiculously hard to the point of frustration = a game to be avoided. Absolute trash with almost no redeeming value whatsoever. Expand
  8. Nov 18, 2010
    Very lack luster game. with no quest log to give you guidance, you are merely wandering around half the game. You are very vulnerable to EVERYTHING! Rats will make you scream at the low levels. Could have been so much more. Really wish the developers had taken more time to CARE about what they were making. Story is bland and unentertaining. Don't waste your money on this when you could buyVery lack luster game. with no quest log to give you guidance, you are merely wandering around half the game. You are very vulnerable to EVERYTHING! Rats will make you scream at the low levels. Could have been so much more. Really wish the developers had taken more time to CARE about what they were making. Story is bland and unentertaining. Don't waste your money on this when you could buy Oblivion or Mass Effect for a much better story AND a better game. Again, stay away from this, its a horrid release and does not deserve your money. Expand
  9. Feb 3, 2011
    This game could have been very enjoyable, thought his is stunted somewhat by the awkwardness of almost every aspect of the game from combat to levelling.

I am a huge fan of RPG games and after oblivion and Dragon Age this simply does not stand up against modern titles. One thing that I will say for Risen is that the graphics are very pretty indeed, this may be of the only feature of

One thing that I will say for Risen is that the graphics are very pretty indeed, this may be of the only feature of the game which held my attention for the duration that i played it, more a desire to see more of the lush surroundings than the want to develop my character and see where the story would take me.
  10. Nov 30, 2012
    ^^ sorry posted broken English Version here, here is the fixed normal English version of my review: You are some really really ugly guy, you can't customise your look, your character has
    no backround you are no one just ugly, if my actions will direct my character's personality
    then allow me to make him look as I please, block does not work on wolves, boars and mostly anything as I can
    anything as I can tell, unlike block dodge which is useless absolutely 100% I practised with it
    ffs I play Devil May Cry 1 I know what is a hard game and this "dodge" it's not hard to do
    it's simply broken, I played this game for about 3-4 hours, I died about 40 times not from my
    mistakes, you can't run in this game, but you can move faster with spaming jump witch makes
    the game look ridicilous but you want to do it because you walk slowly, I did a chane quest
    to go to some city, I finished a few quests and talks, then I took some items that where in front
    a leader of that farm, he did not mind, I took items from one building he did not mind, I took items
    from other building and he mined that beath me do death but I did not die I staned up and healed
    automaticaly, then he did not want to talk to me, I could not say that I am sorry or return the item that
    I have taken, and the whole chain quest was ruined and how can the game change rules like that? to make ai
    to not mind taking items from other building and in front of them, but in that particular building they
    do, wtf with that?! when i allready blown all chanses talking to him and going to some city and
    becoming a mage, becouse melle combat is broken, I could not because this guy didnt want to
    talk to me so I stole more items, but first item I took he could see me trough the walls
    wtf... dodging is tottaly useless, I tested it with quick save and quick load on wolves and
    it was much better to just spam attack, block did not work on them eather, later i found
    out on the internet that you can block higher enemies with block, but you need shield for wolves,
    game did not tell me anything about that, I was level 4 or something, I could not put any point
    on any atribtes or skills and I think I did not get any health nor mana, from the start of the game.
    you can have many mana refilling useless potions and food useless because I did not find any
    magic in that 4 hours that I played, game frustrating, level is as high as it can be, stay
    far away from this game unless you want to cry.
  11. Nov 5, 2013
    Risen is buggy and frustrating. During my 38 hour play-thorough the game crashed 5 times with exceptional errors.
    The biggest problem with Risen is the combat which is very frustrating. The developers are trying to prevent a click fest of hacking your opponent with strategic combat with blocking, parrying and then carefully timed attacks. However, a good idea, it is poorly implemented. Enemies can block and parry all your attacks and counter attack you super fast that there is no way to block. Worse of all many difficult enemies attack in groups making the strategic combat a joke because the enemies gang rape you from all sides prevent any possible block or parry. Most of the time you hop around a group of enemies while quickly hacking them before they counter hack you. If you don't have full health death is certain unless you get lucky.
    Save very often because you will die a lot! Mostly from cheap kills like enemy gang bangs, but also traps that kill you without any hint of a trap being there. I feel like you almost have to die in most areas in order to proceed. Not fun.
    There are lots of glitchy things like NPCs pooping through things and how enemies cannot seem to follow you down short drops (exploit to kill them easily, but not fun), and the WORST thing ever is the NPCs can defect you anywhere in there house if your not sneaking. They will "see" you through a wall and know you just stole from them really?! But the worse is a stupid glitch that happened to me many times, if you accidentally or intentionally hit and/or stole from a NPC they will attack you this is normal, but after I sleep and the crime is forgotten other NPCs in a completely different area will attack me even though that NPC already forgave me. This glitch will try your patient to the limit. I never knew if all of a sudden NPCs were going to attack me. Many times one NPC would be fine and then they would call a witch hunt for a crime that they previously had forgiven or forgotten -really really WTF!
  12. Oct 7, 2014
    Annoying voice acting. Poor combat system with Über-imbalanced enemies. In some early game quests you will have to spend 10-15 minutes of clicking-and-saving just to defeat someone and move forward in the storyline, which is EXTREMELY frustrating. Also the quest log is horrific, it simply saves dialogues in the journal and you have to keep track of all those long tedious conversationsAnnoying voice acting. Poor combat system with Über-imbalanced enemies. In some early game quests you will have to spend 10-15 minutes of clicking-and-saving just to defeat someone and move forward in the storyline, which is EXTREMELY frustrating. Also the quest log is horrific, it simply saves dialogues in the journal and you have to keep track of all those long tedious conversations narrated by crappy actors. Oftentimes it doesn't even place (or misplaces) quests on the map. Oh and there is no minimap as well. Expand
  13. Aug 29, 2014
    The combat system this game is absolutely horrible. The moment you let your shield down is when the enemy strikes, you die quickly, and is even worse than Dark Souls. At least Dark Souls is worth playing. Nothing about this game can make up for its lack of definition of enjoyable combat. BLEH. I HATED this game.

1. Fun, large and with many things to do, Risen is a good game for medieval RPG lovers. It has its flaws, specially due to technical issues, but overall it's a great experience, where every choice has its consequences. The great storyline and the different paths that we can follow are the strongest points of this game.
  2. While Gothic sails away to other developers, Piranha Bytes turns the tide with this return to the origins of true RPG. Deep, polished, compelling, Risen is an RPG for RPG true lovers. Some small glitches and a general lack of accessibility make it step down a little bit on the score, but it's still THE game to have if you love RPGs.
  3. An old-fashion RPG, with an impressive number of quests and NPC, and a deep level-up system.