Risen PC

8.1

1. Oct 27, 2016
    There's never enough of good RPGs out there in fact, there's a lot of options on the market, but many are underwhelmingly boring and make you question if they're worth the usually huge time investment. Luckily, Risen is a very good option if you want to spend countless hours in a world of monsters, magic and heroes.

Risen can sure look good, dense forests with tons of vegetation,

Risen can sure look good, dense forests with tons of vegetation, beautiful night skies and lighting strikes during a storm. The story is good and well presented. It's not overcomplicated like it happens way too often in the RPG genre. Main characters are well designed and have interesting personalities, more so than in The Elder Scrolls series, but not as much as in The Witcher or Mass Effect series. Gameplay remains interesting throughout the entire experience and If we compare Risen to the preceding Piranha Bytes game, Gothic 3, which had some pretty broken combat mechanics, dull quests and an underwhelming main story, Risen comes out as a clear victor. One of the stronger points of the game, taken straight from the Gothic series, is that enemies don't scale with you as you level up. This makes you feel the progress your character is making on the environment. Once tough enemies become easier and easier to fight, unlike in The Elder Scrolls games, where enemies are constantly equally (easy) to defeat, despite all the leveling up. Risen is no Gothic 4 (or 5), but that's a plus. After a solid, but not great, Gothic 3, it's an improvement in almost every way. The world is smaller yes, but it feels alive. It is both, small and big, but in a good way.

On the other hand, despite the nice graphics, many textures are of low resolution and polygon count is not the highest. This becomes very apparent in the largest town on the island and in many dungeons throughout the game where most of the buildings are made out of stone, yet all the walls stand completely straight. A technique called tessellation would have helped tremendously in this case. Human characters are also copied and pasted a bit too much throughout the island, which takes away from the illusion of an authentic world. The combat is unfortunately still quite literary a hit or miss and is liked by some and hated by others. The truth is, it can get frustrating being killed by a pack of wild hogs or wolfs at mid-stages of the game, when you should be slaughtering such weak animals without problems. It's a far cry from Gothic 3 though, where a single wild hog could have easily killed you at the late-stages of the game. Sword, axe and staff fighting is designed around parrying and blocking enemy attacks, but that becomes almost impossible when multiple enemies attack you at once and surround you. In such cases, it's crucial to use either, a crossbow, a bow or magic, and your legs to run away. This becomes a problem in enclosed environments such as underground dungeons, which offer little room for maneuvering. In the first half of the game, there's a lack of variety in weapons and armor to choose from. In fact, there's only about three worthwhile swords, two axes and two shields available. Not to mention, you only get to wear a proper fighter's armor about 25 hours into the game, which is absurd for an action RPG. In addition to that, most of the early quests are basic and can get a bit boring and the game only picks up after you leave Harbor town, about 15 hours into the story. Interestingly though, later parts of the game turn into a little bit of a dungeon crawler and you suddenly start getting better and better equipment.

All in all, Risen is a very well made RPG, that has a good story with, for the most part, well made characters, interesting world and varied enemies. The ending might be a little bit underwhelming, some of the early quests boring and combat not for everyone, but it's a very good game nonetheless. Low scores and ratings this game received upon release and later are, in my eyes, not justified.
  2. Jul 15, 2016
    Who decided to separate magic from combat from plot from character customization from... well, everything? Did no one play test this tripe? I can see a developer shipping their ego out in a box, but surely someone, ANYONE else looked at this and thought, wait, maybe it should actually be playable?
  3. Mar 22, 2016
    Risen is definitely a good game but it's far from a masterpiece. This is definitely good graphics for 2009 (well with the settings maxed out.) but When the people at deep silver were making this hard-core RPG they did need to cut budgets on a few of the things, one of them being the voice acting. The voice acting sounds like the people were half asleep when saying their lines, the bestRisen is definitely a good game but it's far from a masterpiece. This is definitely good graphics for 2009 (well with the settings maxed out.) but When the people at deep silver were making this hard-core RPG they did need to cut budgets on a few of the things, one of them being the voice acting. The voice acting sounds like the people were half asleep when saying their lines, the best thing I can say about the voice acting is that I've heard worse. There are some elements to the game which, I have to say I'm not a big fan of like if u want to pick up an item u need to put your weapon away. If u want to cook u need to have a pan equipped but those are just nit-picks. The worst thing about Risen though, has to be the plot. The plot is u were a stowaway on a ship and said ship is destroyed by the kraken and u wash ashore on a beach. Then when u start exploring the island u find the locals and they tell u there are strange ruins that have risen from the ground and u need to find out y. Exciting story isn't it? Another problem is that when u kill an enemy your game freezes for maybe 1 sec and I hear from Xbox 360 players of the game that their game freezes for about 5 secs some versions even longer. So u will need to be very patient with Risen. The AI seems a little too smart as they seem to dodge 9/10 of your attacks so I recommend to first time players of risen (Even if you've played other RPGs) Play on easy first. There are a few times where the game can also get a tad bit boring but that only happened on 2 occasions. The map is really hard to figure out as well. Those are the only problems I can think of about Risen. u r looking at about 60 hours of gameplay with the main missions and side missions. I complete it on another PC of mine and I've just started a 2nd play through on this one. The characters are unique they all seem to have a different personality. There are tons of dialogue choices in Risen just like those in Knights Of The Old Republic. If u love looting in RPGs like I do hen this game is a Must buy. Your inventory is unlimited u can hold an unlimited amount of items not like Skyrim or fallout where u have a weight limit but Skyrim and Fallout are still better than risen.

Overall if u like RPGs or u love looting this game is a definite buy but make sure you get the PC version because I've heard tons of complaints about the Xbox 360 version.
  4. Jan 11, 2016
    I have been out on my gaming for awhile for personal choice; I use to play a lot of games and felt burnt out and overall just bored with video games in general. Its been around a year of me not playing games besides the brief occasions of dabbling for a few hours through out for the nostalgia. I recently had an urge to get into a fun rpg, something open world that had a survival feel toI have been out on my gaming for awhile for personal choice; I use to play a lot of games and felt burnt out and overall just bored with video games in general. Its been around a year of me not playing games besides the brief occasions of dabbling for a few hours through out for the nostalgia. I recently had an urge to get into a fun rpg, something open world that had a survival feel to it. though I was very limited on games I could get, because I sold all my consoles awhile, and all I have is a 4 year old 300 dollar HP pavillion laptop. So with hours spend looking up reviews then checking if my laptop could run them I decided on risen. I AM SOOO GLADD I DID!!! My choices were down to gothic 3, two worlds 2 and risen. Which all of them have mixed reviews so it was hard to decide. I crossed out gothic even though it looked fun I didnt like the fact that it needed a mod patch to even run right. So HERES MY REVIEW. GRAPHICS - To me graphics really don't matter much if the game is really fun and this is the case here. keep in mind I play on all low for better performance but even at that I think the world is beautifully done. The weather and the lighting are awesome. when the sun is shining its really bright and actually looks like how bright it would be in real life. Then when its dark its as dark as it really would be in real life. its soo awesome looking when its dark out, your exploring, its storming and lightening and you get flashes of bright light where you see everything, it really looks badass. (now on high settings the graphics are really nice for its time.) so torches are actually a must if your going in really dark caves or traveling at the dark of night or you can wait to journey and sleep in a bed till morning. I think it really immerses in the world. GAMEPLAY- Now what I really really like about this games is the overall small details that a lot of games over look that really makes the world feel alive IMO. For a RPG I think this details im about to explain are really important to a RPG because theirs people who play and really wanna get into the role of there character and the world hence ROLE playing game. First I'll start off with getting food and cooking it. in this game food really does matter idk how many times i was out exploring and if i didnt have food to boost my health I would of died. and you can find water barrels to drink from that will really boost your health when your in need like being out of potions or only having a few and want to save them. I like how when you cook food you need to get a pan and you see your character really cook the food, and when you drink you see your character really drink or when you eat whatever your eating he will actually take it out and eat it. when you kill someone in the game no matter who it is they will stay dead for the whole game, IT MAKES SENSE. when you go into someones home they will get mad and threaten you, it makes sense. when you want to up your stats in lets say pickpocking or swords you have to find someone who specializes in that art and pay them to trai n you, again it makes sense. the map isnt that big compared to like gta or skyrim but I think its pretty much perfect because there is a lot of content packed into it and it feels actually pretty damn big because you only run as fast as you do in like fallout 3 and new vegas. Plus in the beginning there is a lot of unknown places you cant explore because there are monster their that are just to hard to kill untill you get stronger and better gear. So it gives you something to work for on the side. youll find a cave and get half way through it then find there to be an monster that is just to strong so you take note leave build up gear up get stronger bring potions and go back later and find treasure and what not. The game has so much dialoge and you can basically talk to anyone and your character actually speaks what you pick and he is such a smart ass 98% of the time I love it. The story is not that special but I think its cool its kind of like star wars but no force instead magic and theres the iquisition(which is like the empire) and then the bandits/ dons men (which is like the rebels) and your fighting for control of the island basically and you have the choice to choose what side you want to support. Now a lot of people dont like the combat and a lot love it, I love it even though it is basically 2 buttons, block and attack, what makes it really fun is you have to be really good with timing, its kind of like a timing mini game. if you attack at the wrong time you leave yourself open to get hit blocking is really important and swinging at the perfect time is also important cause this game is really hard and if your not smart you will die tons. If you like games that hold your hand this isnt for you then. But if you like games that really give you a challenge then it is for you. #noquestarrows. theres a lot more I can say about this game but it would go on too long. This game Expand
  5. Jan 3, 2016

Final verdict

Pros
    + Tons of dialogue choices
    + Unlimited weight limit
    + Unique characters
    + 60 hours of gameplay
    + More of a hard core RPG

Cons
    - Uninteresting and boring plot
    - Often freezes
    - Bad map
    - can be boring at times
    - Bad voice acting
  6. Nov 16, 2015
    One of the best gamer I played! The history and the realism cativate until now. The history, centrated in a misterious organization (Inquisitors) and the fate of the world and me, I lone wolf in the mid of all this.
    One of the best gamer ever!
  7. Nov 4, 2015
    When I first attempted to play Risen I played for 30 minutes, noticed all it's flaws and decided to rename it "Risible". I've never been so happy to be convinced to give something a second try.

Risen is as wobbly as a dog with 3 legs, you will need to ctrl-alt-del out of it more than once in your game. The voice acting can be a bit "amateurish" at times, the graphics a bit wonky, the quests so vague you'll occasionally need to use google...

But you know what? Absolutely none of that matters because the world it's in is brilliant. When you start the game nearly everything is tougher than you, you'll learn to fight by grinding enemies down and parrying to stop them 3 hit killing you but by the end you'll be mashing them down like a tank.

Risen is a gem in the rough. Stick with it and try to ignore it's (many) foibles and it'll reward you in spades with the kind of game freedom rarely seen and the kind of tactical combat that teaches you to treat enemies differently and not simply button mash.

I'd love to give it a 9 or 10 but with the bugs and wonky bits I can't bring myself to do that.
  8. Oct 17, 2015
    One of the best RPG experiences i've had! Truly a 10/10 and this game is so underrated, i don't actually know why, but i guess it's because many played it on the crappy ported xbox version.
  9. Jun 29, 2015
    - Good: Setting, Atmosphere, Exploration, Combat system, Character progression
    - Mixed: Story, Characters
    - Bad: Second half of the game

The first half of this game is very good, sadly the whole game didn't maintain such a high level
  10. May 12, 2015
  11. Apr 9, 2015
    I should've listened to my skepticism, considering this game was made by the same developers that made Gothic series. This game is exactly like the Gothic games, except in slightly better graphics. Tedious menial tasks such as harvesting, collecting, and finding n number of some item are back again. No story hook whatsoever. It's just a random island your character finds himself in afterI should've listened to my skepticism, considering this game was made by the same developers that made Gothic series. This game is exactly like the Gothic games, except in slightly better graphics. Tedious menial tasks such as harvesting, collecting, and finding n number of some item are back again. No story hook whatsoever. It's just a random island your character finds himself in after being washed ashore. To add to this, the character's walking speed is very slow and the map isn't detailed enough and shows no landmarks, making exploration a real chore.

There are a lot of items to find and the combat is semi-decent, but nothing in this game really stands out. Everything has been done before by other RPGs and done better.

Some of the dialogue is not bad and can be kind of witty, but some of the voice acting isn't all that great, especially the main character, who hardly puts any emotion in anything he says, and this is coming from someone who is rarely ever picky about voice acting in games.

Some NPC and enemy A.I. is a bit strange too. I got into the arrogant guard captain's house and stole stuff from his treasure chest right in front of him and he did not bust an eyelid. I then took a mug of beer from his table and he got all pissy at me all of a sudden. Another enemy was doing a decent job stopping a few feet away from me, letting me shoot them with a bow, then to chase me for a few steps, and to repeat the same procedure till he was dead.

If you liked Gothic games, you'll probably like this one too, but it's way too slow paced for me personally. The most fun I got from this was when I decided to stop doing any quests and to simply mess around. Piranha Bytes just keep rehashing the same old boring formula in every single game, and until they make something new and different, I don't think I'll be buying any more of their games.
  12. Mar 28, 2015
    I liked Gothic 2 very much and this game many points similar to it. I think the best non Gothic game Piranha Bytes made till now. Better than Risen 2 or 3 and in my opinion at least as good as Gothic 3.
  13. Oct 14, 2014
    I must start by saying i can be a little subjective on this game because my favourite childhood game series was Gothic. When this game appeared i had a lot of expectations of it and i must say it surpassed my expectations. In my opinion this is the true genre of rpg's with a little of open world to explore for your own pleasure. I can proudly say i finished this game 5 times now and iI must start by saying i can be a little subjective on this game because my favourite childhood game series was Gothic. When this game appeared i had a lot of expectations of it and i must say it surpassed my expectations. In my opinion this is the true genre of rpg's with a little of open world to explore for your own pleasure. I can proudly say i finished this game 5 times now and i didnt get bored on any of the occasions. So for the ones that are wondering if they should try it my vote goes for definitely yes. Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2014
    Annoying voice acting. Poor combat system with Über-imbalanced enemies. In some early game quests you will have to spend 10-15 minutes of clicking-and-saving just to defeat someone and move forward in the storyline, which is EXTREMELY frustrating. Also the quest log is horrific, it simply saves dialogues in the journal and you have to keep track of all those long tedious conversationsAnnoying voice acting. Poor combat system with Über-imbalanced enemies. In some early game quests you will have to spend 10-15 minutes of clicking-and-saving just to defeat someone and move forward in the storyline, which is EXTREMELY frustrating. Also the quest log is horrific, it simply saves dialogues in the journal and you have to keep track of all those long tedious conversations narrated by crappy actors. Oftentimes it doesn't even place (or misplaces) quests on the map. Oh and there is no minimap as well. Expand
  15. Sep 8, 2014
    This game is the RPG version of a "B" movie. Sincere, ambitious, but ultimately flat and often absurd. I felt sick after 30 minutes of constant flashing of endless thunderstorms. How hard could it have been for them to simply tone down the lightning? I slept and it was still happening the next morning.

My character jumps inhumanly high but in slow motion. The creatures in the forest apparently do not fight or fear each other because at one stage there were like 10 of four different species all attacking me at once, seemingly oblivious to each other.

If you want to experience a game these guys pulled off right, try Gothic II Gold. It is flawed but forgivable, whereas this one got uninstalled after 30 minutes.
  16. Aug 29, 2014
    The combat system this game is absolutely horrible. The moment you let your shield down is when the enemy strikes, you die quickly, and is even worse than Dark Souls. At least Dark Souls is worth playing. Nothing about this game can make up for its lack of definition of enjoyable combat. BLEH. I HATED this game.
  17. Aug 20, 2014
    This game is very odd, they are a lot of characters that are doubles and voices are re-used often too, the game even seems to acknowledge this with a quest to help the identical triplets. A lot of people in the game are very rude and curt when you try to talk to them and they don't have a mission to give. It's such a bizarre game, a lot of things don't seem to connect. For me thisThis game is very odd, they are a lot of characters that are doubles and voices are re-used often too, the game even seems to acknowledge this with a quest to help the identical triplets. A lot of people in the game are very rude and curt when you try to talk to them and they don't have a mission to give. It's such a bizarre game, a lot of things don't seem to connect. For me this generates a lot of humour and I think there's a lot of value in that.
    Also the combat is great.
  18. Aug 11, 2014
    I have been very pleased with the quality of this game, playing for the first time in 2014.

The good: a great open world to explore and never a lack of things to do. Graphics are decent for 2009. Voice acting has been good, I am usually not a fan of listening to a lot of dialogue in game, but there is interesting lore to be found in this game. The development of your character feels very sandbox and earning your way through the game is less of a chore/grind and more interesting than your typical RPG.

The bad: While I have seen others praising the combat, I have found it unnecessarily difficult to start and frustratingly boring. Maybe I haven't mastered it yet, but almost every enemy will kill you in just a few hits, while it will take you 20-30 hits to kill your enemies. Due to this I find myself saving before and even during almost every encounter I have.
  19. Jul 1, 2014
    Played a heck of a lot of RPGs but this one really gives a challenge. It's really easy to die in this game if you're not careful. Did get sick of how incredibly hard combat was so changed the mode to easy to get on with the story. While challenges are good, the combat became more of a boring and frustrating hassle rather than something to triumph. Risen surprised me at how addicting it wasPlayed a heck of a lot of RPGs but this one really gives a challenge. It's really easy to die in this game if you're not careful. Did get sick of how incredibly hard combat was so changed the mode to easy to get on with the story. While challenges are good, the combat became more of a boring and frustrating hassle rather than something to triumph. Risen surprised me at how addicting it was despite the slow pace of gameplay and story and was hooked before I realised it. Very similar to Gothic.

Graphic mods are available and really enhances the game.
  20. Jun 21, 2014
    Gra chociaż swoje najlepsze lata ma już za sobą, nadal jest bardzo wciągająca, także graficznie nie jest najgorsza przy najwyższych ustawieniach, polecam każdemu kto ma słabszy sprzęt a oczekuje jak najwięcej z rozgrywki. Osobiście jestem fanem serii "Gothic" a "Risen" To godny następca tej serii.
  21. May 9, 2014
    Just decided to look at rpg games on pc that is really old then i found this in some forum.this game is so awesome even its already too old, glad i borrowed it from my friend haha :D
  22. Mar 22, 2014
    Words cannot really describe what a masterpiece this game is. It's the best game I ever played after 2009, nothing comes close. Today I'm not really into gaming (tight schedule/engineering student) but I always remember THIS game....I tried to play some other RPG's but I uninstalled them immediately because after Risen almost everything felt crap...
  23. Mar 12, 2014
    Apart from the ending, Risen is very good. The ending gives you no choice and I didn't agree with the choice being made for me: I would rather risk the lives of a handful of people to try to save the entire world than ensure that one island survives and everyone else is left to be killed by monsters. I understand in the sequel (I haven't played it) some stuff get's done but that's notApart from the ending, Risen is very good. The ending gives you no choice and I didn't agree with the choice being made for me: I would rather risk the lives of a handful of people to try to save the entire world than ensure that one island survives and everyone else is left to be killed by monsters. I understand in the sequel (I haven't played it) some stuff get's done but that's not made apparent in this game so my point still stands. As with other games by Piranha Bytes there's no wasted space in the game world. Paths are divided by cliffs, separating areas and making the world feel larger than it would in, say a Bethesda RPG where the whole world is one big meadow. Enemies are everywhere, around every corner, lurking in every bush. Step off the beaten path and you'll be mauled by the indigenous wildlife. Enemies don't respawn so eventually you'll kill all the indigenous wildlife and destabalise the ecosystem but that doesn't feature during the game's timeline so never mind. Expand
  24. Mar 6, 2014
    Gothic 2 remake? One of the best games Ive ever played and I dont understand a metascore from 77/100 o.O Nice Soundtrack, Nice open world, a really good story and last but not least gothic feeling and this is exactly what we want!
  25. Dec 9, 2013
    Another old-school RPG from Piranhas. I always loved Gothic and this is his spiritual successor. You have whole island to discover, you can do quests for every fraction you want, smithing, hunting, magic, fighting, nobody tells you what you must do for progress in story. In current time, there's not so understanding for RPGs like this, but for old Gothic players (like me) it's a greatAnother old-school RPG from Piranhas. I always loved Gothic and this is his spiritual successor. You have whole island to discover, you can do quests for every fraction you want, smithing, hunting, magic, fighting, nobody tells you what you must do for progress in story. In current time, there's not so understanding for RPGs like this, but for old Gothic players (like me) it's a great reminder for legendary games Piranha Bytes. 76/100 Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2013
    A solid game but there is alot of room for improvement. I found the world of Risen dangerous and sometimes dark but fun to explore with an interesting backstory. I did enjoy the different playstyles dependent on faction giving different gameplay experiences making it worthwhile to play through more than once. The quests were on a whole pretty decent helping your faction felt like you wereA solid game but there is alot of room for improvement. I found the world of Risen dangerous and sometimes dark but fun to explore with an interesting backstory. I did enjoy the different playstyles dependent on faction giving different gameplay experiences making it worthwhile to play through more than once. The quests were on a whole pretty decent helping your faction felt like you were having an effect on them and the world around you but quest markers or a better map are desperately needed.

The game can be ridiculously frustrating at time especially the combat system which is especially early on extremely punishing and often unfairly so when you can randomly meet creatures you have no chance of killing with no warning. Theres could and perhaps should have been far more spells available and the ability to play as a mix of classes like in the Elder Scrolls series would have been appreciated.

Overall its a decent game it isn't anything you haven't seen before in an RPG but its enjoyable while it lasts.
  27. Nov 5, 2013
    Risen is buggy and frustrating. During my 38 hour play-thorough the game crashed 5 times with exceptional errors.
    The biggest problem with Risen is the combat which is very frustrating. The developers are trying to prevent a click fest of hacking your opponent with strategic combat with blocking, parrying and then carefully timed attacks. However, a good idea, it is poorly implemented. Enemies can block and parry all your attacks and counter attack you super fast that there is no way to block. Worse of all many difficult enemies attack in groups making the strategic combat a joke because the enemies gang rape you from all sides prevent any possible block or parry. Most of the time you hop around a group of enemies while quickly hacking them before they counter hack you. If you don't have full health death is certain unless you get lucky.
    Save very often because you will die a lot! Mostly from cheap kills like enemy gang bangs, but also traps that kill you without any hint of a trap being there. I feel like you almost have to die in most areas in order to proceed. Not fun.
    There are lots of glitchy things like NPCs pooping through things and how enemies cannot seem to follow you down short drops (exploit to kill them easily, but not fun), and the WORST thing ever is the NPCs can defect you anywhere in there house if your not sneaking. They will "see" you through a wall and know you just stole from them really?! But the worse is a stupid glitch that happened to me many times, if you accidentally or intentionally hit and/or stole from a NPC they will attack you this is normal, but after I sleep and the crime is forgotten other NPCs in a completely different area will attack me even though that NPC already forgave me. This glitch will try your patient to the limit. I never knew if all of a sudden NPCs were going to attack me. Many times one NPC would be fine and then they would call a witch hunt for a crime that they previously had forgiven or forgotten -really really WTF!
  28. Nov 3, 2013
    This is by far the best single player RPG i've played in a long while. I really love how you start off with little more than a branch in your hand and a lungfull of seawater, and essentially claw your way up until you're an unstoppable god. The game has the right level of difficulty (every time I got an upgrade I breathed a sigh of relief), great story, great conversation with NPCs, and isThis is by far the best single player RPG i've played in a long while. I really love how you start off with little more than a branch in your hand and a lungfull of seawater, and essentially claw your way up until you're an unstoppable god. The game has the right level of difficulty (every time I got an upgrade I breathed a sigh of relief), great story, great conversation with NPCs, and is all around so enjoyable. There are a few glitches (don't try jumping up ledges or you might fly into space and have to close your game) but I can overlook that because I had more fun with Risen than all the last 3 elder scrolls games combined. Expand
  29. Nov 1, 2013
    By far one of my favorite RPG experiences. A very unique world filled with feral creatures to slay, people to talk to, and missions to take on. Risen provides a decent combat system, a decent variety of equipment to obtain, and a large amount of world to explore. It is challenging, and rewards you fulfillingly.
  30. Oct 10, 2013
    Beautiful, autistic and buggy. Do you like beautiful game settings? Risen has you. How about grinding endlessly for tiny gains? Screw Disgaea, here's your new joint!
  31. Sep 30, 2013
    Great backtrack to the original Gothic model, but the feel of it is not exactly same, which is not exactly a bad thing.
    It's pretty, and well optimised, with a steep learning curve, something like the original gothic had.
    The story and the world is interesting enough to keep you up, and I hope I learn more of this world from the second game. Ending boss was a little lame, but the
    Ending boss was a little lame, but the fighting mechanics were overally allright.
  32. Sep 4, 2013
    Poor visual, no problem. Poor story, no problem. Poor combat, problem. Without combat progressing is not possible. I believe they tried to provide a realistic combat mechanics. Unfortunately they messed up. A counter system could probably solve this but there is none. Movement in battle looks joke and poor visuals make them even worse. They tried to reinvent the wheel and that's where theyPoor visual, no problem. Poor story, no problem. Poor combat, problem. Without combat progressing is not possible. I believe they tried to provide a realistic combat mechanics. Unfortunately they messed up. A counter system could probably solve this but there is none. Movement in battle looks joke and poor visuals make them even worse. They tried to reinvent the wheel and that's where they messed up. As a 2009 game, it is surprisingly poor. Expand
  33. Sep 4, 2013
    Perhaps I'm not giving this game a fair judgement,perhaps it was due to certain circumstances that I was unable to fully enjoy the game.There must be some reason why this game received so much acclaim,from players and critics alike.Well,the idea and setting are nice,the story sounded promicing...and that's pretty much it.This game has numerous problems.Let's start with the technicalPerhaps I'm not giving this game a fair judgement,perhaps it was due to certain circumstances that I was unable to fully enjoy the game.There must be some reason why this game received so much acclaim,from players and critics alike.Well,the idea and setting are nice,the story sounded promicing...and that's pretty much it.This game has numerous problems.Let's start with the technical ones.My pc exceeds the recomended system parameters,but the FPS I'm getting is complete sh*t (15-20).Changing the graphic settings doesn't really do much either.Turning shadows off is the only thing that makes a little better.Now,maybe it's not fair to blame the game for this,maybe it's just not compatible with my graphics card in particular.So ok,i can bear with low fps,but it wouldn't piss me off so much if this game's graphics weren't this crappy.I personally don't judge a game for it's graphics,but "Risen" just looks ugly. No AA,low res textures everywhere.And it's not just the textures,character models are unappealing and have very little variety.Combat system sucks,there's not a lot of startegy into it.Enemies are way to OP.Normally a little more challange is OK,but with this piece of sh*t combat system it's just plain frustrating.The story sounded promising,but I couldn't bare with this game long enough to get into it,because of the dialog.My god,the dialog is so boring.The voice actors sound like they're going to fall asleep.The quest log is the most useless pice of sh*t I have ever seen. Classic WoW had a more useful quest helper than this,at least there you could find the approximate position of the quest target by reading the actual log.Here it just shows a simple objective and highlights the f*cking quest giver.Not the objective,the quest giver.I get where they were going with this,trying to make a more hardcore RPG,but it just doesn't work.It's tedious and unsatisfying.Maybe this isn't such a fair judgement,because I only endured 2 hours of this game.Perhaps it picks up afterwards,but I can't see how with the horrible combat system and visuals. Expand
  34. Aug 26, 2013
    Good game, unfortunately still some bugs, weird animations and not enough weapons, but every true gothic fan will find this to be a pleasent experience.
  35. Aug 20, 2013
    Risen is the RPG I've been dreaming of. You have complete freedom in the open world, but there's a strong story and never a moment where you've run out of quests to pursue. It has fun combat and no grinding.

Some people might not like that character advancement is at the whim of story-unlocked trainers (e.g. to even start learning magic skills, it can take up to 10 hours to get to the trainers and pass their initiation trials), but I see this as a bonus. It adds to the immersion quite a bit (access to magic is strictly controlled by The Order), and unlike Morrowind/Oblivion, it's a lot harder to build an overpowered min/maxed character.

Also, the graphics/art are amazing. It has the most attention to detail I've ever seen in an open-world RPG.
  36. Aug 10, 2013
    Remember that game called Arcania: Gothic IV? Well? Forget that, put Risen in its place and name Arcania Risen. Mindf**ked! Risen is Gothic with its soul and heart and nothing else. And those nasty bugs are gone too!
  37. Jul 29, 2013
    It's playable to the end with patience. It justifiabley probably deserves more than 6/10, only I was hit with a bug that prevented me upgrading my swordfighting. The game itself is quite brilliant. Controls are easy, the scenery's good, and the story is easily interesting enough.

However I was hit by two things that slowed the game down badly. Early on, my recommendation letter was

However I was hit by two things that slowed the game down badly.

Early on, my recommendation letter was not accompanied with directions where to take it. I wandered for at least eight hours, before I searched online and found where to go.

Secondly my close combat was hindered by my inability to advance my sword fighting stats. I was regularly locked in battles with lizard warrior foes that took me hours and hours and hours to defeat. Shame. [Plus the disgusting noise the lizards make urghh. It's like the sound of regurgitation and snarling mixed.]

Another of my grumbles, is that at least quarter of Risen, is spent in the dark. Medieval torches did little to help, and you have to drop them to battle, as your're using two hands.

Many seem to complain that Risen is slow, and I found it exceptionally difficult in places. However if you're patient, and don't get hit by bugs you have masses of fun.
  38. Jul 26, 2013
    Playing Risen, a game I’d bought during the Steam Summer Sale along with it’s sequel, and am sorely disappointed already. Little to no tutorial in the beginning, no explanation of game mechanics, and most importantly when you die you just… lay there? It doesn't drop you back to your last save, it gives you no on-screen prompts, it simply leaves you there wondering what to do next (this isPlaying Risen, a game I’d bought during the Steam Summer Sale along with it’s sequel, and am sorely disappointed already. Little to no tutorial in the beginning, no explanation of game mechanics, and most importantly when you die you just… lay there? It doesn't drop you back to your last save, it gives you no on-screen prompts, it simply leaves you there wondering what to do next (this is the FIRST time I have ever played a game that, upon death, you are not prompted with at least a direction to reload a past save, I actually had to tab out and search to make sure this wasn't a glitch).

If this is all supposed to be to amplify the sense of immersion into the game world, it’s not doing a very good job at all. If I were dead, I highly doubt I’d just stay there hovering over my corpse panning around uselessly, so the more likely answer is that designers were more concerned with making bank than ensuring their finished product had the information necessary to play. Barely five minutes into the game and I’m tempted to simply shrug it off and uninstall; why would I put my time and effort into something that clearly had no effort put into it where I am concerned? For the sake of not judging too quickly (though already, the first impression I’ve had is that this game was a waste of my money), I will continue to try to play… but I don’t see myself writing a comprehensive review on this particular title.

Edit:

Ten minutes later, and I’ve quit and uninstalled. I have never been more dissatisfied with a game, or more specifically with it’s complete lack of consideration for introduction to gameplay. Players are expected to somehow know beforehand (or stop playing the game to go through the menu and search) key bindings and core mechanics beyond WASD. On-screen ‘tutorials’ consist of a single, font-only floating text direction on what to do once something has already happened. There are no prompts to explain how to equip or ready your weapon unless you happen upon one specific area that triggers a particular ‘cut-scene’ of dialogue from your companion (and even then, the mapped key was non-functional and I had to remap it to another key for it to function properly). This game is not just raw, it is unprofessional in that those who chose it’s introductory mechanics must have believed what they were thinking was going to by magic or osmosis be what every single other person that chose to play their game would be thinking. Fighting mechanics, if you can call them that, are chunky and awkward, in where a player may be facing their enemy and swing their weapon, but the character will turn and swing in a different direction. On six separate occasions, versus three different mob types, this problem persisted until I finally decided it was practically insulting to myself and my computer to have this game taking up space on my hard-drive. I would give this game a 2/10, the 2 being only for the graphics, as this was the only portion of the game that seemed to get any attention. Would not recommend.
  39. Jul 24, 2013
    Risen is a game that takes a lot from the Gothic series and tries anew with different ideas, with a better graphics and more fluid controls: the result is a very rewarding game...but also extremely frustrating. Let's be clear with one thing: this game is unforgiving for newcomers. You'll have to step carefully on whatever you're going to do, from fights to spending points, and if you failRisen is a game that takes a lot from the Gothic series and tries anew with different ideas, with a better graphics and more fluid controls: the result is a very rewarding game...but also extremely frustrating. Let's be clear with one thing: this game is unforgiving for newcomers. You'll have to step carefully on whatever you're going to do, from fights to spending points, and if you fail you'll be taken down hard, which means that you'll be breaking that quicksave button every now and then. The game is big too and you'll be put in choosing what path you want to make, and this choice isn't exactly black and white, but more like light grey and dark grey which is very confusing but also kind of interesting: the bandits, for example, seem the right ones, although they'll still act roughly and will ask you to rob and stuff, same with the Inquisition since they'll look like nice people but actually have a rigid policy and, if you go close to them, you'll be FORCED to join them. This will be your first step, and for a good bunch of hours you'll just move carefully around a small area, until you'll be able to step out...and now the game will reward you! While out, you can start the island exploration, do additional quests (which aren't always top notch), fight more enemies for more levels if you want, anything! While the first steps are extremely slow, the game rewards you for your patience and will give you so much satisfaction in everything you've done right. This alone would be great if it wasn't for so many bad flaws. Like the combat. While it's not the clunkiest ever, the fighting is so slow and extremely laggy (in commands) that basically your tactics are literally useless: the game actually suggests you and gives you the possibility to dodge and to parry and you'll be also able to counter attack them, but so do the enemies, which means :
    1)Your enemies will often be able to dodge/parry or both most of your attacks with an insane timing and reaction, making the simplest battles some of the longest ever.
    2)Your dodges will rarely work because they'll be either delayed (or often you'll dodge twice or three times in a row), or their attacks will reach you both from side and backsteps.
    In other words, the combat is extremely laggy and non functional and the only real tactic to use is to mash the m1 and kill them whenever you can: luckily they seem to be weak to walls (they usually won't parry for some reasons) and will randomly lower their guards making our attacks go through. Luckily this won't apply to animal enemies since they won't parry...but their dodges and attacks can be insanely well timed that you'll scream (the ghouls are the worse, since they can also BREAK your parry!). Another huge problem unfortunely are the bugs: luckily I had only one crash and I haven't had any game breaking bugs...but I often got "stuck" while climbing and that basically forced me to reload everytime, without mentioning a very "useful" bug that works whenever you fall down, making you land on an invisible stair case. Useful, but extremely random. The last problem, which isn't the biggest but still is, is the story and the main character itself: they are both boring. The main character is extremely bland that I often get surprised that he talks: he kinda fits more the role of a silent character; no customization except for the few armors and weapons we'll get (and I mean few, since there are barely 10 for each), and the story, while doesn't show up very early, even when it comes up it's still very boring and I didn't feel much of a reward and, infact, I just felt more rewarded by fighting those hard enemies and by just exploring. In the end, it's not a masterpiece but it's not a bad game either but it's just too bland and too clunky and too sluggish to enjoy at its fullest. However, if you put patience into it and a lot of effort, the game will open its gates and show you a lot of roads to be taken. Worth a look, but with proper protection and a lot of patience!
  40. Jul 1, 2013
    What's good :
    -A Hardcore RPG that doesn't believe in hand-holding the player. But still treats you with respect.
    -No loot limit! Pick all ye want! -Beautiful environments. Just wandering in the world and looking around brings a feeling of wonder -Decent voice acting. Not great but, hey its better than a lot of bargain bin rpgs What's Not : -The combat system. I was really sick of
    What's good :
    -No loot limit! Pick all ye want!

What's Not :
    -The combat system. I was really sick of the combat mechanics and the ability of your hero to get stun locked by the 33rd hour of my playtime. Mages might be different, melee and ranged suck.
    -Lacklustre story. Its literally one giant fetch quests which can be broken down into smaller fetch quests. You'll always have to find 5 samples of item A or 6 samples of item B in order to progress the story.
    -The Quest system is kinda broken.

Bottom Line Buy this game IN A SALE if you love rpgs. I suppose people who love the gothic series would buy this game at any price. Others move along, nothing to see here
  41. Apr 14, 2013
    Risen have boring storyline but other thinks in this game compesating it. There were good thinks as living game world, excelent music, solid graphics with good optimalization, good voice acting in dialogs and some excellent quests which is very interesting with great characters. But there are too very well made monsters. But for some difficulty may be too difficult, for me 8/10.
  42. Feb 12, 2013
    a great rpg with great story and character progression. no option to create your own character and the dialog choices don't really affect your character that much. it would have been great to have 360 controller support on the pc version. the combat takes some time to get use to, and its really easy to get killed even by something that looks harmless. the game uses a lot of exploration anda great rpg with great story and character progression. no option to create your own character and the dialog choices don't really affect your character that much. it would have been great to have 360 controller support on the pc version. the combat takes some time to get use to, and its really easy to get killed even by something that looks harmless. the game uses a lot of exploration and the story has alternate endings. the thing i most remember is the funny things that happen during my interactions with the npcs. lots of random things happen, and the game takes awhile to complete. overall, great game and nothing really new to add to the rpg genre. but great story, and it follows the Gothic game series. although i have never played those. Expand
  43. Feb 2, 2013
    If you liked Gothic series this is must have title. Nice story, three different sides to join with, where non of them is god or bad. Big live believable world with no loadings. Good RP factor, you can decide how or if you are going to complete quest, sometimes NPC joint to help you with your quest. Nice craftsman skills of creating weapons, jewellery, potions and scripts cooking they areIf you liked Gothic series this is must have title. Nice story, three different sides to join with, where non of them is god or bad. Big live believable world with no loadings. Good RP factor, you can decide how or if you are going to complete quest, sometimes NPC joint to help you with your quest. Nice craftsman skills of creating weapons, jewellery, potions and scripts cooking they are not so deep as in MMO games, but they are decent and make game more complex. The only problem is combat system enemies seams to be stronger than you and seams to be unfairly advanced in combat (quicker attack and block). Also I am not big fan of combat systems that are not purely states based in RPG. Expand
  44. Dec 30, 2012
    First of all, Risen is very similar to Gothic. Based on this, Risen was well appreciated by Gothic fans. But Risen looks like a copy of Gothic. And it's not good at all.
    By the way, I like Risen. It's a nice game with gloomy atmosphere, very cool fight system and German humour. I think, fight system in Risen is best among Piranha Bytes' games. So, there are many interest quests in first half of game. But after completing first chapters storyline is becomes very boring and annoying. Problems with story are the main disadvantage of Risen.
    Anyway, I like Risen for its atmosphere. Dark colours in swamps or bright sun lights in mountains in combination with beautiful music from Kai Rosenkranz create an unforgettable experience.
  45. Dec 6, 2012
    The game world is richly detailed, expansive, and full of life. The graphics are pretty good (for the year it was made anyway), music and sound are well-done, and the voice acting is good too. It's a shame then that the combat is so insanely, brutally punishing as to prevent you from enjoying it. The combat may get better as the game goes on, but the 5 or so hours of this game that I couldThe game world is richly detailed, expansive, and full of life. The graphics are pretty good (for the year it was made anyway), music and sound are well-done, and the voice acting is good too. It's a shame then that the combat is so insanely, brutally punishing as to prevent you from enjoying it. The combat may get better as the game goes on, but the 5 or so hours of this game that I could stomach saw the combat devolving into nothing more than holding down block until the enemy attacks twice, then attacking 2-3 times rapidly before blocking again. It was idiotic. Couple that with how it is entirely impossible to kite one enemy away from a large group, causing you to get swarmed by 5 enemies at once, and you had better get familiar with the load game screen. This is not fun. Everything seemed so interesting that it was really a shame it was kept out of reach. It's like when you were a child, and older kids would hold things in the air out of your reach and taunt you. Eventually you learn to punch them in the stomach, and go do something else. Expand
  46. Jul 5, 2012
    A beautifully atmospheric game. Just try the demo and you will buy it straight away. The dialogue and acting are brilliant. You feel like you are dealing with real people. The ending is a terrible letdown but in every other way it was worth 10.
  47. Jun 3, 2012
    Probably the most linear RPG I've ever played. Crappy voice acting and the backing noise track doesn't fit the game at all. Combat is boring (and once again) linear. I already said this, but I'll say it again: crappy voice acting. At first I was actually laughing at how bad it was until I just stopped playing. Combat is just click-click-other click (hit-hit-parry) style. Third person withProbably the most linear RPG I've ever played. Crappy voice acting and the backing noise track doesn't fit the game at all. Combat is boring (and once again) linear. I already said this, but I'll say it again: crappy voice acting. At first I was actually laughing at how bad it was until I just stopped playing. Combat is just click-click-other click (hit-hit-parry) style. Third person with no option to go into first is obnoxious. Controls are absolutely horrid, and made me change the layout immediately. Good modeling and design is probably this game's only redeeming factor. Expand
  48. May 31, 2012
    If you're into the realistic RPG genre, where the game sucks you in because you actually feel like a **** weak loser dropped onto an island, barely able to stay alive, struggling to find items one by one and make his way through, you will love it. The atmosphere and graphics is great. The voice acting is rather horrible and boring. In the town part which sucks you in for 10 hours (theIf you're into the realistic RPG genre, where the game sucks you in because you actually feel like a **** weak loser dropped onto an island, barely able to stay alive, struggling to find items one by one and make his way through, you will love it. The atmosphere and graphics is great. The voice acting is rather horrible and boring. In the town part which sucks you in for 10 hours (the point where i quit the game) you have to constanlty talk to everyone in town in a desperate attempt for the game producers to extend the length of the game. Maybe the game gets more exciting after that point but after having run around town for 10 hours listening to bad voice acting I got tired with the game. Up to the town I was enjoying it, though compared to Gothic and better RPG's it's inferior. Expand
  49. May 15, 2012
    There's no way you can't call Risen a good game. The combat was challenging and rewarding -- you had to be quick and observant to prevail, so button-mashing and foolishly charging-in were not an option. It had a dance-like combination of footwork, blocking and planned strikes. I died a lot early-on against low-level mobs. A LOT. But it was rewarding when, later on, I cut right throughThere's no way you can't call Risen a good game. The combat was challenging and rewarding -- you had to be quick and observant to prevail, so button-mashing and foolishly charging-in were not an option. It had a dance-like combination of footwork, blocking and planned strikes. I died a lot early-on against low-level mobs. A LOT. But it was rewarding when, later on, I cut right through them, so you don't see me whining now -- which, that said: I'm also impressed with Risen's . The world was full of atmosphere -- environments were detailed and varied. I think the developers were lacking in character design, as they reused models for NPCs and even then the models weren't the best, but that just points more focus towards an enchanting environment. The player character's smart-a** attitude made me happy, and I'm glad they gave him voice-over (unlike, say, in DA:O). Bottom line: despite imperfections that prevent me from calling it "great," Risen was fun to play. Expand
  50. May 14, 2012
    There are 2 important notes to take into account about this game:
    1. If you are fond of Piranha Bytes games, youâ
  51. Apr 30, 2012
    Risen 1 is the best RPG i have played in my life. ( except some japanese rpg)
    Its really better than skyrim, even witcher 2 that i love, dragon age...
    BECAUSE the STORY, the characters, the quests, the items, magic, the worlds, the difficulty in battle, ARE AT THEIR BEST !!! no game can beat that. Risen 1 is a game like no other. its the only game that i feel im really living in
    Risen 1 is the best RPG i have played in my life. ( except some japanese rpg)
    Its really better than skyrim, even witcher 2 that i love, dragon age...

its the only game that i feel im really living in that world. i played 30 hours without sleep the first time i played. Try it for yourself, its really better than any other rpg if you have patience.

i played both the PC and xbox 360 version. the xbox 360 version is not beautiful VS PC, but its still the same game. RISEN 1 is the best !
  52. Apr 24, 2012
    A very enjoyable game until the last act. Far too many lizard people in far to similar dungeons and a very low quest density make the end a lot less enjoyable than the rest of the game. It still gets an 8, a very low 8 at that, from me because I had a good deal of fun with it.
  53. Apr 19, 2012
    For me this game is a solid 8. It has decent graphics, quite innovative attempt as for fighting and pretty looking open world which is neither too huge nor too small. We start off on the beach, after surviving a shipwreck, in an unknown island. Then we learn about the island and it's problems, and we get pulled into the story... Which is, I must say, so-so. There are too many similaritiesFor me this game is a solid 8. It has decent graphics, quite innovative attempt as for fighting and pretty looking open world which is neither too huge nor too small. We start off on the beach, after surviving a shipwreck, in an unknown island. Then we learn about the island and it's problems, and we get pulled into the story... Which is, I must say, so-so. There are too many similarities to Gothic series in the story, so it was a little bother to me. For someone who didn't play Gothic, it shouldn't really be a problem. As I said, the story is linear but we get the possibility to join one of two factions. We don't create our character, and neither we choose it's class. But it's up to us how do we want to develop skill-wise. With each level we earn skill points which we are able to exchange for strength, dexterity or other useful skills like brewing potions or smithing. Overall, it's really a game one can enjoy. Mostly for the gameplay. Side quests aren't really anything special, and main story line isn't all that fun, but it could be worse. I really think the gameplay makes up for it. As I said, fighting is really fun. It's partially about tactics, but mostly about our reflex, dodging and attacking at the right time... The more we boost up one fighting style the more various things we are able to do, like parrying an attack, then doing a counter attack.. or combos. We can play as a mage too, obviously. Overall, I think it's really a good solid RPG. It's all that Gothic 3 should be but wasn't. The game seemed a bit short in my opinion though. Doing everything what was possible, including killing almost every single evil creature on the island, it took me 25 hours to finish the game. Oh, and I won't spoil but the last boss fight should have been better. As for difficulty, I think it's just right. It may seem a bit difficult for some people, but mostly because most of the new games are terribly easy. Pros: -Innovative fighting. -Nice open world. -Decent graphics. Cons: -Story could be better. -Too many things seemed like in Gothic series... I could give many examples but I'll just throw one. A port city to which ships aren't able to come right now. This alone made me think "Again?". Expand
  54. Mar 21, 2012
    Risen is one of the best RPGs ever. Its behind Gothic 2, because it is shorter an with less choices and dialog and the end boss is just not right for the game. But the combat is amazing, the world is beautiful as always with PB games. Their games are extremely involving and engaging and has a unique atmosphere. Piranha Bytes are the real kings of RPG games. Hope Risen 2 will be as good asRisen is one of the best RPGs ever. Its behind Gothic 2, because it is shorter an with less choices and dialog and the end boss is just not right for the game. But the combat is amazing, the world is beautiful as always with PB games. Their games are extremely involving and engaging and has a unique atmosphere. Piranha Bytes are the real kings of RPG games. Hope Risen 2 will be as good as Risen, that would give me a new chance to keep up playing games. I am extremely disappointed about games like Skyrim, Dragon Age 2 etc.. They made me thinking about quit playing games for ever. Sorry for my bad english, Im a north with an arrow to my knee.. Expand
  55. Mar 13, 2012
    Dialogs are delivered in a monotone. Quests are obviously filler quests that are meaningless, at least at first, letting you see that you're up for a grind. Combat is fraught with false difficulty, meaning it's a kind of randomness instead of there being something you can do about it, like get better at controlling your chararcter, or upgrading your stats. The graphics are good, though.Dialogs are delivered in a monotone. Quests are obviously filler quests that are meaningless, at least at first, letting you see that you're up for a grind. Combat is fraught with false difficulty, meaning it's a kind of randomness instead of there being something you can do about it, like get better at controlling your chararcter, or upgrading your stats. The graphics are good, though. Overall, it's a pretty frustrating RPG. Expand
  56. Mar 11, 2012
    Risen is a good production, although it still needs a number of cuts. If you are fans, or just love the Gothic series, this work also fall in love with you. Additionally, if you plan to test the Risen 2, it is useful to first reach for the first part, because I secretly believe that it will close follow-up adventures. I leave you, you may miss the chance to buy this game and remember ...Risen is a good production, although it still needs a number of cuts. If you are fans, or just love the Gothic series, this work also fall in love with you. Additionally, if you plan to test the Risen 2, it is useful to first reach for the first part, because I secretly believe that it will close follow-up adventures. I leave you, you may miss the chance to buy this game and remember ... Do not let the counter bison! Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2012
    a must play game for those who love rpgs.this game is fantastic.once you get into the game you will start to understand how deep and big this game is.there are some peoples and animals with whom you cant fight until you level up your skills.i played and finished this game after almost sixty hours.there are a lot of things to explore and loot.you need to make wise decision about what sidea must play game for those who love rpgs.this game is fantastic.once you get into the game you will start to understand how deep and big this game is.there are some peoples and animals with whom you cant fight until you level up your skills.i played and finished this game after almost sixty hours.there are a lot of things to explore and loot.you need to make wise decision about what side you want to be with(don or inquisitor).i chose to be with don.ifv you havent played it yet then play it. Expand
  58. Mar 5, 2012
    Great game but takes around 10-15 hours to really get into if you don't already know what you're doing. You might be a bit disappointed at first but if you're willing to give it a chance and you will surely like it.
  59. Jan 22, 2012
    When I first saw this game I had no idea how good it was going to be. I will start with the graphics. The graphics are the only thing that make me give this game a 9 rather than a 10. The character models and building have a polygon count a bit on the lower side. The aesthetics on the other hand make this the nicest looking game I have seen for a long time the use of depth of field is justWhen I first saw this game I had no idea how good it was going to be. I will start with the graphics. The graphics are the only thing that make me give this game a 9 rather than a 10. The character models and building have a polygon count a bit on the lower side. The aesthetics on the other hand make this the nicest looking game I have seen for a long time the use of depth of field is just astonishing. The gameplay can only be describes as classic RPG. It looks, feels and plays like a high quality RPG. In my personal opinion this is better than skyrim. Expand
  60. Nov 11, 2011
    Right from the start, im a huuuge gothic fan (1,2 and 3) So i was very pumped for this game and i can say it was definantly worth the wait. The game is a true hardcore RPG but and i love it. Now i can only recommend this game to fans of the gothic games. Or games that were around as hardcore as those games, because there is no quest marker like in oblivion or some other **** rpg. Here youRight from the start, im a huuuge gothic fan (1,2 and 3) So i was very pumped for this game and i can say it was definantly worth the wait. The game is a true hardcore RPG but and i love it. Now i can only recommend this game to fans of the gothic games. Or games that were around as hardcore as those games, because there is no quest marker like in oblivion or some other **** rpg. Here you have to figure out yourself and thats what makes this experience so satisfying. The combat is great, it actually takes skill. It may be difficult at first but once you get used to it it starts to get fun. I love how people go about their daily life doing what they need to ITS GREAT. Dont miss this game, if you do its a grea tloss on your side of you're a big fan of RPG's. I just have a few minor gripes with some bugs but they can be overseen for this beatiful and rewarding experience Expand
  61. Oct 14, 2011
    Risen is said to be the successor of the gothic series. I used to try playing gothic 1and 2 but never get into them, because of their weird interface and controls. but I actually liked Risen. the interface is intuitive and easy to handle. the controls are better than gothic games. you just use left mouse button to attack, right button to block and space to jump which makes it quite easy toRisen is said to be the successor of the gothic series. I used to try playing gothic 1and 2 but never get into them, because of their weird interface and controls. but I actually liked Risen. the interface is intuitive and easy to handle. the controls are better than gothic games. you just use left mouse button to attack, right button to block and space to jump which makes it quite easy to get into battle and of course this game is hard, so at lower level, you'd better not get involved with some high level monsters or persons. In this game you have to learn skills from certain NPCs and they will charge you gold for that which is quite realistic. I suggest start with talking to various NPCs and get some easy fetch quests first. The exploration in this game is fun and level design is well-done though the characters' animations are very awkward. story wise it's not impressive however this game has several factions, when you joined one, the quests from other factions will be locked so there are some replay values here. overall if you want to find some realistic open-world RPGs, Risen is a good start but just keep in mind the world in Risen is dangerous even at the beginning if you used to a easy run like in oblivion you will be pissed :). Expand
  62. Sep 25, 2011
    A fun little adventure, appropriately challenging combat, an initially engaging plot. Very rough around the edges upon closer inspection but not in a game-breaking manner. Ultimately what this game lacked entirely was character. No goofy cast of recurring characters like in the Gothic series. Just a series of faceless plot devices. An amusing game that is great need of some goodA fun little adventure, appropriately challenging combat, an initially engaging plot. Very rough around the edges upon closer inspection but not in a game-breaking manner. Ultimately what this game lacked entirely was character. No goofy cast of recurring characters like in the Gothic series. Just a series of faceless plot devices. An amusing game that is great need of some good storytelling, humor, drama, tragedy, something. Nevertheless, Risen is a rich game that is fun to play from beginning to end which is more than I can say for most games. Expand
  63. Sep 24, 2011
    The first two chapters are marvelous, they have everything that a good RPG should have. Sadly, the other two are exact opposite of that. 10/10 for the first half of the game, and 4/10 for the other.
  64. Sep 16, 2011
    Come on! I don't know how RPG's like ,,Risen" can still exists in this generation. Age of games like ,,Gothic" is ended. I don't like games that shows everythings in the start and then, there's nothing what can surprised.
  65. Aug 22, 2011
    I only played an hour of this game but that was all that was needed to totally bore me. First of all the graphics are mediocre, oblivion looks better and it's 3 years older, the music is great... if you want to fall asleep and i read that the voice acting was supposed to be great, it's not, it's actually the opposite (piss poor ) there voices are all expressionless. The actual presentationI only played an hour of this game but that was all that was needed to totally bore me. First of all the graphics are mediocre, oblivion looks better and it's 3 years older, the music is great... if you want to fall asleep and i read that the voice acting was supposed to be great, it's not, it's actually the opposite (piss poor ) there voices are all expressionless. The actual presentation could have been so much better the dialogue is in a boring font and the dialogue options are very plainly done. The world itself may be big but it is also dull, lifeless and just to damn plain . Many people complain about the combat being very hard, how is simply clicking for attacks and holding in for block difficult it's just about timing although it feels as though the enemies attack at random which might make it feel hard, there is not much technique involved and ends up being more shallow than Fable's combat. I don't know much about the story at all but the intro did nothing for me and basically just showed how the main character got stranded. I applaud this game for trying to be a hardcore RPG which it does some what succeed with but overall it falls flat and if you've played oblivion or mass effect than this game will just be plain boring. 5/10. Waste of time. Expand
  66. Aug 5, 2011
    Best RPG since it's release so far. Piranha Bytes keeps my hopes alive that RPG genre didn't died out yet. And the graphich is really amazing for a 2009 game. Managed to get 30 FPS medium, 1024*768, Radeon 5750.
  67. May 27, 2011
    First, looks great, decisions have a large impact on the game. The combat works very well, as you upgrade skills. You'll have alot of trouble if you just button mash. The drawback of the game is that I had some very irritating bugs when I played - missing quest triggers, etc. On the whole a very fun game for RPG fans.
  68. May 18, 2011
    I just replayed this game for the 3rd time. If it wasn't for the short chapter 3 this would be a 9.5 for me. This game deserves many accolades, and I hope there are more great PB games incoming in the near future.
  69. Apr 9, 2011
    A challenging and very rewarding game. One of the better RPGs to appear in the last few years. If you are prepared to invest in the game you will get your money's worth and much more. Even if you are only a semi serious RPGer you should give this game a try. I doubt if you will be disappointed. I won't go into specifics, I don't need to, just believe me when I say this game is very veryA challenging and very rewarding game. One of the better RPGs to appear in the last few years. If you are prepared to invest in the game you will get your money's worth and much more. Even if you are only a semi serious RPGer you should give this game a try. I doubt if you will be disappointed. I won't go into specifics, I don't need to, just believe me when I say this game is very very immersive. Of course, if you are an instant gratification bod who wants to be walked through the game whilst playing it, simultaneously one shotting everything in your path, then I wouldn't bother. Expand
  70. Apr 8, 2011
    Frankly I do not understand what the fuss is about this game: everything from go is positively frustrating: from the ridiculous jarring and frame stutter you get (specificallyon ATI HD+ cards) to the hideous character visuals (the environments are gorgeous though) and the lack of an apparent mini-map. That and the fact that it is ridiculously hard to the point of frustration = a game to beFrankly I do not understand what the fuss is about this game: everything from go is positively frustrating: from the ridiculous jarring and frame stutter you get (specificallyon ATI HD+ cards) to the hideous character visuals (the environments are gorgeous though) and the lack of an apparent mini-map. That and the fact that it is ridiculously hard to the point of frustration = a game to be avoided. Absolute trash with almost no redeeming value whatsoever. Expand
  71. Mar 25, 2011
    Pros: Great environment design, interesting quest design

Cons: annoying combat system, difficulty spikes, stilted character acting, being trapped in areas before completing objectives, generally unhelpful and difficult quest system

TLDR: A unique world hampered by annoying combat, tedious questing and huge difficulty spikes
  72. Mar 15, 2011
    I've never played any of the Gothic games so this game was a quite new experience for me. A very enjoyable and engrossing experience too. I've logged 100 hours on this game without even noticing it - it's that immersive. Potions, cooking, mining, forging, stealing, freedom to go almost anywhere from the start and a fresh (to me) approach to combat, which I had to learn fast. Any game whereI've never played any of the Gothic games so this game was a quite new experience for me. A very enjoyable and engrossing experience too. I've logged 100 hours on this game without even noticing it - it's that immersive. Potions, cooking, mining, forging, stealing, freedom to go almost anywhere from the start and a fresh (to me) approach to combat, which I had to learn fast. Any game where spamming the left click button almost guarantees you defeat in battle is a welcome change. A serious or even semi-serious RPGer should find this game well worth their time and money. I had a few very minor grahical glitches (steam version) and the end could perhaps have been better, but this game is full of entertainment and I highly recommend it, especially if the you are disillusioned with the direction of other so-called RPGs. Expand
  73. Feb 3, 2011
    This game could have been very enjoyable, thought his is stunted somewhat by the awkwardness of almost every aspect of the game from combat to levelling.

I am a huge fan of RPG games and after oblivion and Dragon Age this simply does not stand up against modern titles. One thing that I will say for Risen is that the graphics are very pretty indeed, this may be of the only feature of

One thing that I will say for Risen is that the graphics are very pretty indeed, this may be of the only feature of the game which held my attention for the duration that i played it, more a desire to see more of the lush surroundings than the want to develop my character and see where the story would take me.
  74. Dec 3, 2010
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. Great music and atmospherics. Love the AI of the NPCs (.e.g f you stand somewhere high and be a douchebag like me taking crossbow shots at random people, they don't just come up to the building butting their heads on the wall, but actually climb up to come and get you lol). I think a good combination of a bit of hack and slash with solid rpg. BIG THUMBS UP!
  75. Nov 18, 2010
    Very lack luster game. with no quest log to give you guidance, you are merely wandering around half the game. You are very vulnerable to EVERYTHING! Rats will make you scream at the low levels. Could have been so much more. Really wish the developers had taken more time to CARE about what they were making. Story is bland and unentertaining. Don't waste your money on this when you could buyVery lack luster game. with no quest log to give you guidance, you are merely wandering around half the game. You are very vulnerable to EVERYTHING! Rats will make you scream at the low levels. Could have been so much more. Really wish the developers had taken more time to CARE about what they were making. Story is bland and unentertaining. Don't waste your money on this when you could buy Oblivion or Mass Effect for a much better story AND a better game. Again, stay away from this, its a horrid release and does not deserve your money. Expand
  76. Nov 15, 2010
    Actually I like this game now -- It's almost as compelling as Gothic 2.
    Can Metacritic delete 'AndyG's' review, given that he's me, and that I've changed my opinion?..
  77. Oct 3, 2010
    I base this rating on pure fun value. This is hands down the best combat system ever in any RPG anywhere; it is extraordinarily challenging without being gimmicky. No matter how strong you are, if you get lazy, a pack of wolves will eat you b/c they will use good AI and surround you so that one distracts you while another eats you. Progress is slow but steady and you can design theI base this rating on pure fun value. This is hands down the best combat system ever in any RPG anywhere; it is extraordinarily challenging without being gimmicky. No matter how strong you are, if you get lazy, a pack of wolves will eat you b/c they will use good AI and surround you so that one distracts you while another eats you. Progress is slow but steady and you can design the character you want. With perseverance, luck and skill, you *might* beat something relatively much stronger than you and then reap your xp and treasure rewards out of proportion to your level which is my favorite thing about well designed RPGs as they reward courage and creativity. But mostly likely you will be reloading a lot! (as you should). And don't even think about the toughest creatures until you are truly advanced.

The graphics while a bit dated but beautiful render cilnky skeletons and icky giant moths; even the wolves have menacing yellow eyes and sping tingling growls. And the real star is the gorgeous FarCry-esque seascapes, with hidden paths and easter eggs everywhere. Even after 25 hours I still was surprised to suddenly realize an area I knew really well, actually bent back across the mountain to something else I knew... speaking of which, the map design is brilliant. There are shortcuts all over but you won't be able to use them until you are powerful enough to be where you should be because the monsters guarding them are either very tough or numerous - so it's not gimmicky at all, just well thought out and immersive. Honestly, I should rate this game a 9 b/c the combat was a bit tricky in the beginning and the quest system definitely needs a lot more help in figuring out, both of which sent me to the walkthroughs more than once. But if you don't mind doing that once in a while this game is a 10. Otherwise, it's still a 9.
  78. OveM.
    Jan 26, 2010
    This game could have been so much better. The RPG elements are very well implemented and the fighting is cool. BUT i the quests are almost impossible to do since there is NO quest tracking system. Thats why i uninstalled the game after a while.... i couldn't manage to do the quests... I mostly ran around wondering what to do next.
  79. chantaraSinghSen
    Jan 21, 2010
    Everything are great but it very short after defeat the Titan the game end very disapionted it should be continues like go to the mainland or something interesting and never end.
  80. AndyG.
    Jan 14, 2010
    Started fine, but very soon became apparent that I'd played it before. Piranha Byte's brand of RPG will die like 'Might and Magic' for its chronic inability to advance, improve or develop their creation. At least Bethesda take some risks to build on what they have.
  81. HubertM
    Jan 2, 2010
    I'm a great Gothic fan(real gothic: 1,2 and Night of the Raven) that's why I suffered really much when Piranha made IMHO very crappy G3. So I was looking forward Risen, hoping they would correct previous mistakes. And at the beginning I really enjoyed it - good optymalisation, nice graphics models, interesting plot. But it soon turned out that gameplay is dull, side quests I'm a great Gothic fan(real gothic: 1,2 and Night of the Raven) that's why I suffered really much when Piranha made IMHO very crappy G3. So I was looking forward Risen, hoping they would correct previous mistakes. And at the beginning I really enjoyed it - good optymalisation, nice graphics models, interesting plot. But it soon turned out that gameplay is dull, side quests almost don't exist, the map is huge however, there's nothing interesting to see except hordes of boring mobs. Main quests were all about annihilating more and more mobs to get milion pieces of very powerful artifact, and later another and another. But during my whole 'adventure' with Risen it didn't really bother me, because I was waiting for some development of plot when suddenly...the game ended. I was laughing whole day because I think it took me the same time I would need to get to the 3rd chapter of G2 for example. For me - better than G3, but still average. Expand
  82. [anonymous]
    Dec 23, 2009
    The Risen is great game. When you play you feel magic.If yo played Gothic and you like it Risen is game for you.It is in my opinion the best RPG in this year!!!
  83. MikaelO
    Dec 6, 2009
    A solid RPG, with a lot of atmosphere. The combat system is at times not so responsive as one might wish for, in a game that requires you to master your keyboard in order to just survive. The upside of that is of course the good old Gothic feel. This game is difficult. The enemies are really dangerous, and your skill and your character's, will determine the outcome of combat. For A solid RPG, with a lot of atmosphere. The combat system is at times not so responsive as one might wish for, in a game that requires you to master your keyboard in order to just survive. The upside of that is of course the good old Gothic feel. This game is difficult. The enemies are really dangerous, and your skill and your character's, will determine the outcome of combat. For some, this will be a let down, but for the rest of us, it heightens the feeling of accomplishment. As with any quest-based RPG, there are some glitches with the quests, but all-in-all I feel that it works out very nicely. A negative point is the horribly stereotype view of women, but to be perfectly fair, most role playing games on PC tend to be massively sexist. Expand
  84. KevR
    Nov 29, 2009
    This game is a gem of role-playing games. It is not perfect and let me tell you, if you are not up to the challenge this game will annihilate you. It features a beautiful, detailed and living world (except on the 360) and the best combat system ever made for a role-playing game. One that actually requires skill and where every fight is a challenge. The game's main flaw is its This game is a gem of role-playing games. It is not perfect and let me tell you, if you are not up to the challenge this game will annihilate you. It features a beautiful, detailed and living world (except on the 360) and the best combat system ever made for a role-playing game. One that actually requires skill and where every fight is a challenge. The game's main flaw is its chapters. While the 1st and 3rd chapter are insanely well made and I literally finished them without exiting the game, I was disappointed that the 2nd and 4th chapter could not quite keep up with the other two. The game is probably the best RPG to come out since Gothic 2 and KotoR and definitely worth getting. And with an add-on to make up for the weaker chapters and a few flaws (which are so small I cannot recall them atm) may even be the best RPG ever made. Expand
  85. JamesG
    Nov 27, 2009
    Great character voice acting, good storyline and progression of hero from fighter to battle mage. They avoided a lot of the annoying aspects of similar games (unlimited weight carrying, fireballs don't kill friends, no limitations based on good/evil alignment, etc).. Beautiful environment with sunrises, birds, rain, nice water effects. Lots of weapons, but not too complicated. Simple Great character voice acting, good storyline and progression of hero from fighter to battle mage. They avoided a lot of the annoying aspects of similar games (unlimited weight carrying, fireballs don't kill friends, no limitations based on good/evil alignment, etc).. Beautiful environment with sunrises, birds, rain, nice water effects. Lots of weapons, but not too complicated. Simple approach to magic that works well. Great game! Expand
  86. JohnW
    Nov 25, 2009
    A lot of glitches. Poor battle system. Poor maps. Not worth the price at all.
  87. phanj
    Nov 22, 2009
    I tried to and really want to like this game. I just can't stand the combat, which is very frustrating. Your opponent gets guaranteed hits, but the reflex-based combat system implies that your mouse clicking skills will suffice. So the combat tries to be action-rpg because your coordination with the mouse is important and not so much your player's stats (as opposed to DA:O where I tried to and really want to like this game. I just can't stand the combat, which is very frustrating. Your opponent gets guaranteed hits, but the reflex-based combat system implies that your mouse clicking skills will suffice. So the combat tries to be action-rpg because your coordination with the mouse is important and not so much your player's stats (as opposed to DA:O where 'stats' are everything). Even the simplest creatures seem to have more HP than you do and will take many hits to kill. Also the world is chock full of hostiles at every turn, just amplifying how frustrating the game can get when each fight seems rigged to be unfair. When you engage a hostile, you can't defend and attack (mele) at the same time, so you MUST release the shield and strike. And in this 1/20th of a second window where you release your shield and click to attack, your opponent gets a random chance at a guaranteed hit and you are forced to quaff a heal pot (which are hard to find early on). You can NOT hold the shield up and hit with the weapon at the same time. Other people who seem to have not noticed that the combat is unfair say it's fine, but they just haven't noticed the game is cheating in combat. Also the game forces you to do menial tasks to progress in the game like farm a farmer's field. Things like this serve the story, but absolutely are not fun to do. So from that perspective story is primary in this game, and RPG elements secondary. It's an adventure game with RPG elements, but as far as game progression, you must do many of the quests. What I like about the game is that the world is indeed as PB says, detail rich. The world is immersive. Everything is skillfully made. Time of day is very well done. I wish I could stand this game more so that I could see more of what it has to offer, because the scenery is very nice. I've also heard there are some big dungeons to explore and I'd love to see those. Oh well. Expand
  88. JeffA
    Nov 15, 2009
    Blah dialog, blah combat, blah voice acting and character animations. Blah enemies, very very dull all around. Try gothic II or oblivion, this game is lame.
  89. AlexV
    Nov 12, 2009
    Great rpg, Doesn't seem that great at first but beyond that it becomes excellent. Challenging (which some people may not like) but gives you a real sense of achievement when you finally off a tough beast or solve a major quest. It's free-roaming, has tons of interesting quests, and once you get used to the controls you'll find them natural. Only thing wrong I found is the Great rpg, Doesn't seem that great at first but beyond that it becomes excellent. Challenging (which some people may not like) but gives you a real sense of achievement when you finally off a tough beast or solve a major quest. It's free-roaming, has tons of interesting quests, and once you get used to the controls you'll find them natural. Only thing wrong I found is the combat controls for optimum combat are set too fast for me (but I'm useless at beat-em ups etc). Didn't really matter though since you can still have very fun and tactical combat without them (it's not that big a deal). Overall a fantastic game. Expand
  90. lizard
    Nov 7, 2009
    I've not played any of the gothic games but I'm finding this to be a solid and enjoyable RPG. There are a few minor technical issues and I've experienced a couple of annoying CTD's but this hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game too badly, I also feel that performance could be a little bit better. The graphics and world design are superb, despite the reletively I've not played any of the gothic games but I'm finding this to be a solid and enjoyable RPG. There are a few minor technical issues and I've experienced a couple of annoying CTD's but this hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game too badly, I also feel that performance could be a little bit better. The graphics and world design are superb, despite the reletively small size of the island and limited number of major settlements there is still a great deal to discover in this game. The AI is of a reasonable standard and I find combat quite enjoyable, one thing that is a little annoying is the fact that NPC's etc. aren't drawn until reletively close to the player character and the fade in is quite noticeable. Voice acting on the whole is pretty reasonable and the story itself is quite interesting . There's a wide range of different quests and a good amount of different skills that your character can learn ranging from cooking to smithing weapons. Overall I'm really impressed with this game even though it has a few irritating technical issues, one of the better games to appear on the PC this year. Expand
  91. JubalH
    Oct 30, 2009
    The game is very good, but the DRM is unacceptable, only 3 activations is an absurd. The support for revalidation at deep silver ignores you. Don't buy and don't loose your money.
  92. YuriU
    Oct 28, 2009
    There isn't anything I disliked about the game. Combat system is challenging, and I like that. I have to actually think and know how to move, when to block, when to hit. I like the fact that with enough experience in combat you can defeat monsters that are a lot stronger than you. Alchemy is nice - picking all those plants, looking for special ones in hidden places. This isn't There isn't anything I disliked about the game. Combat system is challenging, and I like that. I have to actually think and know how to move, when to block, when to hit. I like the fact that with enough experience in combat you can defeat monsters that are a lot stronger than you. Alchemy is nice - picking all those plants, looking for special ones in hidden places. This isn't something optional if you want to make your character considerably tougher. RP setting is great - I liked Don's Camp a lot, with the bad, tough guys. How they try to frame inquisition as the *real* bad ones, and how it turns out, when you meet them, to be quite nice guys. Sights are great - ocean, forests, sky - are very beautiful. Music is very, very nice. Miscellaneous: Climbing rocks and trying to get to previously unreachable places using Acrobatics skill is cool; girls are pretty. Expand
  93. SeanF
    Oct 27, 2009
    Let me start this review by saying that I've never played any of the Gothic games. Or Oblivion. Or pretty much any RPG that has been released (for PC or consoles) in the last 8-or-so years. I lost interest in gaming a long while back, after a marriage, kids and work took up all of my time. I bought a new computer last week, and figured I'd take a look on Metacritic and see which Let me start this review by saying that I've never played any of the Gothic games. Or Oblivion. Or pretty much any RPG that has been released (for PC or consoles) in the last 8-or-so years. I lost interest in gaming a long while back, after a marriage, kids and work took up all of my time. I bought a new computer last week, and figured I'd take a look on Metacritic and see which RPGs were well-received -- I used to love the genre, and have played many of the classics (Wizardry series up to 7, Ultima Underworld, Betrayal at Krondor, etc.) and figured that I'd pick up a title to play for an hour or two in the evenings before bed. After considering a few, I decided on Risen and purchased it from an online retailer. I had no idea what I was in for! I have scarcely done anything but sit in my computer chair, jaw gaping for the last 4 days. This game is just incredible... the world is so fully realized it's almost shocking. People go about their daily lives, the days and nights cycle and weather changes, the world has very lived-in feel and a real sense of history. It is so easy to get lost in it, especially due to all of the distractions that the game offers you: collecting animal trophies, crafting swords and jewelery, mining... the list goes on and on. Should you decide to focus on the main quest line, the plot is gripping and voice acting accomplished. The game has a sense of moral ambiguity throughout that's very mature and thoughtful. There is no right and wrong side -- you are left only with your own morals and instincts to decide your friends and foes. Also, characters are multi-dimensional and not always as they appear... you will often serve as a tool for someone else's ulterior motives unless you're wise enough to catch on and refuse. I am, perhaps, not the best judge of graphics since I've been out of the loop for a while, but i'd argue that Risen is indisputably gorgeous. Beams of rust-orange light poke through the swaying trees at sunset, water flows convincingly around rocks and down falls, nights are inky blackness, broken only by your torch, which casts realistic shadows from everything around you. Just wow. Don't let yourself miss this game, it is really truly a classic and has single-handedly rejuvenated my interest in video games. Collapse
  94. Poloman
    Oct 24, 2009
    Best single player RPG I've played in a very long time. I don't have anything else recently released to compare it to, but I enjoyed it more than Elder Scrolls - Oblivion or Fallout 3.
  95. AndyB
    Oct 24, 2009
    Very good game indeed. Great graphics, combat, VO, world to explore. Quests in chapter one are fantastic, not quite so good in later game, just rather linear. Still fun because of combat system, which feels clumsy at first because your char is crap at fighting, with effort and skill increases becomes more and more fluid. Character system is okay, not the best, but sufficient. Definitely Very good game indeed. Great graphics, combat, VO, world to explore. Quests in chapter one are fantastic, not quite so good in later game, just rather linear. Still fun because of combat system, which feels clumsy at first because your char is crap at fighting, with effort and skill increases becomes more and more fluid. Character system is okay, not the best, but sufficient. Definitely the most fun I've had in a game all year, hope it sells well. Expand
  96. TomE
    Oct 21, 2009
    This is the game that Gothic 3 should have been. Game play is interesting and thought provoking. The graphics are beautiful. Game play and the story line flows nicely, and can be played leisurely. If you like Gothic 3, even in its broken state, or liked Oblivion or The Witcher, you will love Risen.
  97. GlennH
    Oct 21, 2009
    Risen is more of the same... That's the best way to put it. The combat is decent, though repetitive. The graphics are nice, if unimaginative. The story moves you through the game, but doesn't enthrall you. The game is mediocre. One of the strangest decisions is not letting you create your own character... Why do I have to play a premade character, when there is nothing Risen is more of the same... That's the best way to put it. The combat is decent, though repetitive. The graphics are nice, if unimaginative. The story moves you through the game, but doesn't enthrall you. The game is mediocre. One of the strangest decisions is not letting you create your own character... Why do I have to play a premade character, when there is nothing interesting about him? He's the fantasy equivalent of a bald space marine. Expand
  98. Kulski
    Oct 19, 2009
    Gothic is Risen is Gothic..... - yes this game is not wat, in my opinion, everyone expected from gothic 3. All in all gothic 3 was a good game with some disadvantages like a real bad combat system - and a very disapointing story. In my opnion these two issues were the only issues gothic 3 had - and risen just fixes these issues and makes some thing s even better than gothic 3. The Gothic is Risen is Gothic..... - yes this game is not wat, in my opinion, everyone expected from gothic 3. All in all gothic 3 was a good game with some disadvantages like a real bad combat system - and a very disapointing story. In my opnion these two issues were the only issues gothic 3 had - and risen just fixes these issues and makes some thing s even better than gothic 3. The graphics are so beautiful - everything fits together in this game ... great work - looking forward to get an add on like the night of the raven for gothic 2 ...... i think there are some possibilities tie integrate such a thing into risen...... thanks piranha bytes, that you're back where you belong. Expand
  99. KevinF
    Oct 18, 2009
    I recently played through this game and enjoyed it immensely. DO NOT get the 360 version and stick with the PC version. Don't even acknowledge that the 360 version exists and your life will be better. That said, I really enjoyed the overall design of the Island and really the most entertaining part of this game is just wandering around getting in trouble and accidentally coming I recently played through this game and enjoyed it immensely. DO NOT get the 360 version and stick with the PC version. Don't even acknowledge that the 360 version exists and your life will be better. That said, I really enjoyed the overall design of the Island and really the most entertaining part of this game is just wandering around getting in trouble and accidentally coming across awesome treasure. I didn't think the story was all that great but I honestly didn't care. The game's characters are all somehow memorable and you'll be surprised how often you hear an NPC referenced and you know exactly where that person is on the island. I was planning on getting this to tide me over until Dragon Age releases in a few weeks but I got so addicted that I finished this damn game already! Expand
  100. ThomasJ.
    Oct 15, 2009
    The game has it's moments, but it completely fails to provide any kind of depth seen in for example Oblivion or Morrowind by Bethesda. Risen also suffers from some over-detailing the 'shallow spots', if such a term exists. The developer is trying to create an illusion of depth where there is none. As a comparison to anything with Bethesda or Black Isle on the cover, this The game has it's moments, but it completely fails to provide any kind of depth seen in for example Oblivion or Morrowind by Bethesda. Risen also suffers from some over-detailing the 'shallow spots', if such a term exists. The developer is trying to create an illusion of depth where there is none. As a comparison to anything with Bethesda or Black Isle on the cover, this fails miserably - but on it's own, or even when sitting next to the Gothic games, it's well above 'nice'. Unspectacular, kind of shallow but fans of the genre shouldn't miss it. Expand

1. Fun, large and with many things to do, Risen is a good game for medieval RPG lovers. It has its flaws, specially due to technical issues, but overall it's a great experience, where every choice has its consequences. The great storyline and the different paths that we can follow are the strongest points of this game.
  2. While Gothic sails away to other developers, Piranha Bytes turns the tide with this return to the origins of true RPG. Deep, polished, compelling, Risen is an RPG for RPG true lovers. Some small glitches and a general lack of accessibility make it step down a little bit on the score, but it's still THE game to have if you love RPGs.
  3. An old-fashion RPG, with an impressive number of quests and NPC, and a deep level-up system.